PDA

View Full Version : I hope My Bloody Valentine plays the outdoor stage

dorkfish
08-27-2007, 10:22 AM
http://www.thedailyswarm.com/swarm/believe-it-or-not-my-bloody-valentine-reuniting-for-coachella-2008/

Believe It or Not: My Bloody Valentine reuniting for Coachella 2008?
TDS Editors

Is the long wait finally over? My Bloody Valentine, the legendary sonic sculptors of feedback and tremelo who helped define the shoegaze movement only to disband after releasing just two full length albums, is set to make its first live appearance in more than a decade at the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival in Indio, CA in April, 2008. According to sources in the United States and the United Kingdom who are familiar with the negotiations, the band is close to signing a deal that will see a reunited My Bloody Valentine headline Coachella, scheduled for April 25–27, before embarking on a world tour sometime later in 2008.

A My Bloody Valentine reunion has long been the subject of intense speculation, with a seemingly endless stream of rumors surfacing each year about tours, reissues, DVDs, box sets, and even brand new recordings – but as of today none have come to fruition. The band formed in the mid 1980s and released a series of EPs on various labels before solidifying around the lineup of guitarist/singer Kevin Shields, drummer Colm O’Ciosoig, singer-guitarist Bilinda Butcher, and bassist Debbie Googe. After signing to Creation Records, the band released several EPs and two albums, 1988’s Isn’t Anything and 1991’s Loveless, now considered one of the era’s most classic recordings. After a bitter split with Creation, the band signed to Island Records (UK) in 1992, but never produced another release. According to a 1995 interview with Simon Reynolds, the band’s inability to meet their own aesthetic expectations and the financial stress of inactivity led to Shields’ “meltdown.” The rest of the group drifted apart and My Bloody Valentine simply vansihed without ever releasing another album.

In recent years, Shields has been an elusive yet constant presence on the music scene, appearing on recordings and stages with groups like Experimental Audio Research, Curve, Dinosaur Jr, and Primal Scream. His solo work as a remixer and recording artist have appeared sporadically, most notably on the soundtracks for Sophia Coppola’s films Lost In Translation and Marie Antoinette. And in the intervening years, the legend of My Bloody Valentine, a band who’s sound was long considered years ahead of its time, has grown much larger in its absence.

(Photo credit)

But now some tantalizing hints have emerged in the past few weeks that suggest the band is finally gearing up for a return to action. In July, several fans reported encounters with Shields at Primal Scream and Dinosaur Jr. shows in England, Ireland, and Russia, each returning with the same story: that Shields very matter-of-factly spoke of My Bloody Valentine in the very present tense. The fans reported Shields said that two new My Bloody Valentine releases are in the works – an anthology of unreleased 90s material and an album of brand new studio recordings – along with the imminent release of remastered versions of the band’s original studio work. He is also reported as saying, on several different occasions, that a 2008 tour is in the works that will feature the band’s original lineup. (Read some of the reports here, here, and here.) Furthermore, in an interview published earlier this year in Magnet magazine, Shields was adamant about the band’s return: “We are 100% going to make another My Bloody Valentine record unless we die or something,” he said.

Equally intriguing is the appearance of a new official My Bloody Valentine MySpace page earlier this month, which also links to mybloodyvalentine.co.uk, a website that now has just a generic holding page. In an email with The Daily Swarm, Kevin Shields’ manager, Vinita Joshi, confirmed that the MySpace page is indeed officially affiliated with the band, and that Debbie Googe, the group’s bass player, is actively working on creating the My Bloody Valentine website. Joshi, who is also owner of the Rocket Girl record label and mail order distribution company, has the My Bloody Valentine track “Soon” as the soundtrack to her personal MySpace page. Regarding Coachella and the tour, Joshi wrote, “there are no confirmed shows at all.”

For Coachella founder and musical programmer Paul Tollett, an appearance by My Bloody Valentine would be a major coup, furthering a now international reputation as the booker who persuades much-sought-after disbanded or dormant groups to make their return to the stage at his celebrated festival in the California desert. It would also cap off years of concert industry chatter about Tollett’s burning desire to see the band play at Coachella – and his standing 7-figure offer.

(Update: Tollett will neither confirm nor deny this story. In an email response to The Daily Swarm, he wrote, “I don’t comment on booking because it would make my job difficult responding to every rumor.”)

Coachella has a track record of bringing long-sought iconic 80s and 90s bands out of retirement and launching highly successful and lucrative comebacks. 2004 saw the return of the Pixies; 2005 had Bauhaus, Gang of 4 and New Order; the 2006 appearance by Daft Punk, the duo’s first live gig in over 7 years, was the precursor to this year’s much ballyhooed Alive 2007 tour; this year’s expanded 3-day fest hosted reunions by Crowded House, Jesus and Mary Chain, and Rage Against the Machine, each of which have since been on hugely popular tours.

Still, the list of artists who retain the cultural cache and enough living members to have a legitimate reunion and headline the festival is pretty short. Booking an obvious classic rock band like Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin would certainly make headlines and sell tickets, but Coachella has carved out a unique niche for itself by bringing together less long-lost though no less beloved bands from later generations. With Morrissey having already rejected a multi-million dollar offer from Coachella for a Smiths reunion, there are not many other bands that could truly sit atop the bill. While Pavement, Boards of Canada, Blur, the Afghan Whigs, and The Specials would each be exciting additions to the line-up, and Portishead is much requested on the Coachella message boards (in fact the group is already confirmed for next year’s Coachella, though it won’t be their first reunion performance as they are already scheduled for the All Tomorrow’s Parties event in England this December), none hold the same mystique nor would make as many people drop everything to buy tickets and head to the desert like a reunited My Bloody Valentine.

For My Bloody Valentine, a triumphant return at Coachella – especially if accompanied by quality new recordings and a reexamination of the band’s back catalog – could be worth a small fortune as every promoter and festival in the world will want to book a show. As Tollett explained to Billboard.com last week, “That is a lesson for a band—if you can build yourself to where your show is so great that people are calling everyone around the world saying you got to check that out.”

Mr.Nipples
08-27-2007, 10:23 AM
wowwwww...

J~$$$
08-27-2007, 10:24 AM
sweet.

dorkfish
08-27-2007, 10:24 AM
also I like how the article throws around facts like "Portishead is already confirmed for next year"

dorkfish
08-27-2007, 10:25 AM
and before Dani laughs at this thread. yeah, it's a rumor. it's a fun one, though.

amyzzz
08-27-2007, 10:28 AM
also I like how the article throws around facts like "Portishead is already confirmed for next year"
and PARANTHETICALLY throws that around no less. Portishead > MBV, although I'd definitely be happy with both.

Also, the outdoor stage always has technical problems. Boo on the outdoor stage.

woogie846
08-27-2007, 10:31 AM
That'd be awesome if MBV played.

The Outdoor Stage does have some technical problems from time to time, but it definetely has the best scenery.

summerkid
08-27-2007, 10:33 AM
Main Stage at sunset.

rage patton
08-27-2007, 10:35 AM
The Specials??? Fuck yes please! Oh, and Madness.

This was a cool article/rumour.

thinnerair
08-27-2007, 10:36 AM
Portishead is much requested on the Coachella message boards (in fact the group is already confirmed for next year’s Coachella, though it won’t be their first reunion performance as they are already scheduled for the All Tomorrow’s Parties event in England this December), none hold the same mystique nor would make as many people drop everything to buy tickets and head to the desert like a reunited My Bloody Valentine.

Funny. I think Portishead performance would be a bigger deal. I guess we'll have to wait and see since they are both confirmed. I mean, its on the Internet. It's gotta be true, right? RIGHT?!

J~$$$
08-27-2007, 10:43 AM
taking this to wiki.....ill be back to let you know what I found out.

mountmccabe
08-27-2007, 10:58 AM
taking this to wiki.....ill be back to let you know what I found out.

Hahaha.

Also, wow. Just wow. Yay rumours.

summerkid
08-27-2007, 11:05 AM
My Bloody Valentine headline Coachella

Tollett’s burning desire to see the band play at Coachella – and his standing 7-figure offer.

Say What?

All That I Am
08-27-2007, 11:06 AM
Well, thats a great fucking way to start off the confirmed rumors for next year.

TomAz
08-27-2007, 11:53 AM
While Pavement, Boards of Canada, Blur, the Afghan Whigs, and The Specials would each be exciting additions to the line-up, and Portishead is much requested on the Coachella message boards (in fact the group is already confirmed for next year’s Coachella, though it won’t be their first reunion performance as they are already scheduled for the All Tomorrow’s Parties event in England this December), none hold the same mystique nor would make as many people drop everything to buy tickets and head to the desert like a reunited My Bloody Valentine.

I would rather see any of those other bands than MBV.

captncrzy
08-27-2007, 12:24 PM
This is already in the rumors thread.

And, it says in the article that the negoation is for a headlining spot, so I doubt it would be at the Outdoor Stage.

ficklecycle
08-27-2007, 12:32 PM
MBV headlining? Woa.

ghettojournalist
08-27-2007, 12:32 PM
Portishead and My Bloody Valentine.

if the rumors pan out, then i can foresee a REALLY good time.

bballarl
08-27-2007, 12:37 PM
Oh my God. Oh my God. Oh my God. Oh my God.

dorkfish
08-27-2007, 01:12 PM
Andrew, don't get your hopes up, yet. I hope it's true, too.

pewter14
08-27-2007, 01:39 PM
Andrew, don't get your hopes up, yet. I hope it's true, too.

I mean even if they do confirm ... they still have to show up ...

I'm looking at you, Cocteau Twins! :nono

thinnerair
08-27-2007, 01:55 PM
doesn't anyone else think that Boards of Canada would be incredibly boring live? Sure it's nice to listen to, but what's fun about a bunch of dopes standing in a tent listening to what would basically be the audio equivalent to watching paint dry? Just sayin'

luckyface
08-27-2007, 02:01 PM
doesn't anyone else think that Boards of Canada would be incredibly boring live? Sure it's nice to listen to, but what's fun about a bunch of dopes standing in a tent listening to what would basically be the audio equivalent to watching paint dry? Just sayin'

I disagree. They would kill you.

psychic friend
08-27-2007, 02:01 PM
i love this topic in every forum.. its cute. it shows the lovin

TomAz
08-27-2007, 02:04 PM

yeah that's probably a fair point, I retract my earlier remark

but man, THE SPECIALS. that would be awesome. PAVEMENT.

miscorrections
08-27-2007, 03:34 PM

breathe. i'll get you a paper bag.

superfiction
08-27-2007, 04:36 PM

i would get so blazed. i wonder how theyd do it, live kinda like soulwax played this year would be siiiiiick

bballarl
08-27-2007, 05:03 PM
THIS IS ABOUT MBV NOT BOC BOC PALE IN COMPARISON THEY DIDNT MAKE LOVELESS AND DONT HAVE KEVIN SHIELDS

miscorrections
08-27-2007, 05:05 PM
someone's vehement on the subject.

can you just imagine them doing the whole of loveless? i don't even have words to describe how beautiful that would be.

bballarl
08-27-2007, 05:08 PM
If they played Loveless in its entirety, I would probably cry with happiness. Especially if they tack You Made Me Realise onto the end.

miscorrections
08-27-2007, 05:09 PM
i would sit through so much just to be able to see them up close, assuming other favorites were not playing previously.

bballarl
08-27-2007, 05:12 PM
I would revel in the pure volume of it.

shoegazer76
08-27-2007, 05:24 PM
If they indeed are added it will be the first time I watch a show completely sober at Coachella. I will remember every detail of their show til my last dying breath, even if succumb to alzheimers.

bballarl
08-27-2007, 05:26 PM
Maybe we can all cry together afterwards. Because the awesomeness will melt our brains.

miscorrections
08-27-2007, 05:30 PM
i think a lot of people would be weepy after that.

shoegazer76
08-27-2007, 05:34 PM
Yeah afterwards will be like the day after Christmas when you feel all depressed & shit only a thousands times more depressing cause Christmas comes every year & a MBV show is like a once in a lifetime spectacular solarsystem event!

dorkfish
08-27-2007, 05:35 PM
Yeah afterwards will be like the day after Christmas when you feel all depressed & shit only a thousands times more depressing cause Christmas comes every year & a MBV show is like a once in a lifetime spectacular solarsystem event!
unless this actually does happen as the article suggests, and is followed by a tour as the article suggests...

shoegazer76
08-27-2007, 05:36 PM
& if anybody deserves a 7 figure deal its them. Goldenvoice your paying for perfection cause thats what Shields is all about! Belinda if your reading this please let me father yr next child!!!!

shoegazer76
08-27-2007, 05:37 PM
unless this actually does happen as the article suggests, and is followed by a tour as the article suggests...

The only way I see them doing a "world tour" is if they do actually come out with a new album. Unless they wanna promote the boxed set.

orbit
08-27-2007, 05:49 PM
I'm not getting my hopes up, but I got chills just imaging this reunion.

And if they play, I'll cry.

All That I Am
08-27-2007, 05:56 PM
Ok i'm excited as everyone else about MBV but i'm equally excited about portishead too.
If this turns out to be a rumor someone will have to pay!

Boourns
08-27-2007, 07:29 PM
I think it's a definite that Portishead will FINALLY play, and that is reason alone to get me out in the desert. And if My Bloody Valentine plays too? Fuck, I'd die. Trying so hard not to get my hopes up, but I can't help it.

keriann
08-27-2007, 09:06 PM
You were the first person I thought of when I heard this.

bballarl
08-27-2007, 09:14 PM
I just can't imagine how awesome it would be if they played at sunset or something. Let's ponder this for a second. How beautiful would "I Only Said" or "To Here Knows When" be with those hills and those colors and 50,000 people?

I need to take a cold shower.

PassiveTheory
08-27-2007, 09:47 PM
I love how that article talks about people wanting an Afghan Whigs reuinion... Seriously, I don't think I've read them ONCE mentioned on this board.

Regardless, I finally got a BOC album (and this is now 2 months into my "let's give Portishead a try... Oh my god they are amazing"-stint) so I figure I'll start an MBV collection.

psychic friend
08-27-2007, 10:06 PM
MBV is the new Daft Punk

bballarl
08-27-2007, 10:22 PM
I love how that article talks about people wanting an Afghan Whigs reuinion... Seriously, I don't think I've read them ONCE mentioned on this board.

Regardless, I finally got a BOC album (and this is now 2 months into my "let's give Portishead a try... Oh my god they are amazing"-stint) so I figure I'll start an MBV collection.

All you need is Isn't Anything, Loveless, and Tremelo. Listen in that order. You could also pick up Glider I guess if you want.

PassiveTheory
08-27-2007, 10:27 PM
I just finished getting Loveless since everyone raves about it, and I'll be giving it a listen, first.

Wheres the beef?
08-27-2007, 10:30 PM
MBV is the new Daft Punk

:nono

PotVsKtl
08-27-2007, 10:33 PM
They can't headline. Article invalidated.

bballarl
08-27-2007, 10:34 PM
The reason I suggested the above order is because it is chronological (minus Glider). It is interesting to watch their progression. But Loveless is far and away their best work.

bballarl
08-27-2007, 10:34 PM
They can't headline. Article invalidated.

They can still play. Ass.

PotVsKtl
08-27-2007, 10:36 PM
Sure but there are a lot of unsubstantiated claims being thrown around. The fact that one of them is certifiably false would seem to cast doubt on the entire thing.

PotVsKtl
08-27-2007, 10:36 PM
Like unescapable crushing doubt.

sonofhal
08-27-2007, 10:37 PM

I, for one, would be overjoyed at an Afghan Whigs set, as they are outstandingly good live.

If My Bloody Valentine play, i will have to get myself some of these, as that shit is damn loud.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?66666UuZjcFSLXTtOxfXOVs6EV76EbHSHVs 6EVs6E666666--

bballarl
08-27-2007, 10:40 PM
Like unescapable crushing doubt.

True. But I am holding out hope. We will see come January.

PotVsKtl
08-27-2007, 10:42 PM
http://www.xofacto.com/justin025/spiderheadbig.jpg

bballarl
08-27-2007, 10:43 PM
Yes, exactly.

xbnmx
08-28-2007, 01:01 AM
Why not put them int he Sahara with the Happy Mondays.

captncrzy
08-28-2007, 09:03 AM
The only way I see them doing a "world tour" is if they do actually come out with a new album. Unless they wanna promote the boxed set.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/news/40473-kevin-shields-mbv-will-100-make-another-album

shoegazer76
08-28-2007, 09:20 AM
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/news/40473-kevin-shields-mbv-will-100-make-another-album

MBV World Tour here I come! I gotta start saving so I can make it to as many shows as possible.

bballarl
08-28-2007, 10:13 AM
Why not put them int he Sahara with the Happy Mondays.

Soon is their only dance song. The Mondays were at least part of a dance scene.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-28-2007, 03:58 PM
Christ I am gone for a few days and this happens?

Portishead+MBV= Best Coachella EVER!

ThomThom
08-28-2007, 04:11 PM
Wait, how the fuck did I not see this thread...Sweet mother of God MBV and Portishead!?!?! My pants are rather moist right now.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-28-2007, 04:27 PM
and PARANTHETICALLY throws that around no less. Portishead > MBV, although I'd definitely be happy with both.

Also, the outdoor stage always has technical problems. Boo on the outdoor stage.

Word...fucking outdoor stage is the reason why Air sucked this year....

rage patton
08-28-2007, 11:23 PM
Maybe I am the only one who cares... but does this article also mean Goldenvoice is trying to reunite the Specials?!?!?

A full on Specials reunion would pretty much be the greatest thing ever for me. Like, the thought of the Specials being there excites more than any of those other bands listed in that article. Dont get me wrong. MBV + Portishead is amazing news. I havent really ever listened to MBV though, and what I have heard of Portishead I really like. My girlfriend is a big Portishead fan, so this news excited her.

Anyways. Specials for 2008!!!

bballarl
08-28-2007, 11:38 PM
They just mentioned the Specials as a reunion people would want.

rage patton
08-28-2007, 11:43 PM
They just mentioned the Specials as a reunion people would want.

:(

I want the Specials.

Well, the Specials arent really a "hot topic" on the boards here, and they mentioned the boards when they were talking about Portishead, so I am assuming they picked up the want for Blur and Boards of Canada from the board here as well. Is there another forum that talks about Coachella a lot? Or were they just speculating?

I think a fully reunited Specials, with Terry and Jerry, would be a pretty big draw. Definately not headline worthy, but I would say perhaps second tier, or atleast on the 3rd line of the poster.

Sorry for hijacking this thread. I was just givin my thoughts. And letting the world know my love for The Specials.

Resume talk about MBV and Portishead.

bballarl
08-28-2007, 11:45 PM
You didn't hijack it. You went in the reunion vein, which was like one degree of seperation from actual MBV talk.

bmack86
08-28-2007, 11:54 PM
MBV would be the only thing that'd pull me away from a pavement reunion. Literally, the only thing. Get the Beatles reformed, and I'd still be at Pavement or MBV.

And, if they (Kevin Shields and Co.) play, it will be the first Coachella where I camp out at a stage all day to see a band. I'll understand what the Rage fans did to see that reunion. It'd be that special to me.

Boourns
08-28-2007, 11:56 PM
I know people are saying that MBV isn't big/mainstream enough to headline, but more than enough people fucking love their work, especially Loveless, to guarantee a huge crowd from all over the world just to see them. And that makes them perfect for a Pixies/Massive Attack timeslot. Same with Portishead. God, I can't stress how much I'm dying to see these bands. Satellite Party could headline all three nights and I wouldn't care if Portishead and My Bloody Valentine are there.

After all those reunions and getting Jarvis Cocker to play America (you know he wouldn't have bothered with the other whopping four cities in the American tour if he hadn't been booked for Coachella), there was this feeling of "how can that be topped next year" going around, and, well, MBV and/or Portishead would do it for me.

bballarl
I would probably do the same. Or just apparate to wherever you were standing. I'm magic like that.

PS You missed a fucking great show tonight. That'll teach you to work.

summerkid
MBV would be the only thing that'd pull me away from a pavement reunion. Literally, the only thing. Get the Beatles reformed, and I'd still be at Pavement or MBV.

And, if they (Kevin Shields and Co.) play, it will be the first Coachella where I camp out at a stage all day to see a band. I'll understand what the Rage fans did to see that reunion. It'd be that special to me.

but...but you really dont have to do that. If you show up at the main stage at 4 you should be able to get a front row spot by the time MBV comes on. Oh and I posted in the other MBV threads about how EW has an article on this now quoting a source who says its "definitely happening".

bmack86
08-28-2007, 11:59 PM
but...but you really dont have to do that. If you show up at the main stage at 4 you should be able to get a front row spot by the time MBV comes on. Oh and I posted in the other MBV threads about how EW has an article on this now quoting a source who says its "definitely happening".

It doesn't matter. I'd wait. My Bloody Valentine are worth the time, and the effort. Andrew and I would be up front, waiting, and ready to lose our hearing. I'm certain that it'd be worth it.

For context, every single pair of head phones, stereo system and car stereo that I've owned since 1999 has been christened by an introduction by Loveless. That trend shall continue forever. If the stereo can't handle Loveless, it's not worth it's weight in salt.

bballarl
08-28-2007, 11:59 PM
I fucking worship this band. I can't believe they're finally going to do something. I mean, I know it's not for sure for sure until we see a lineup or the band says, officially, that they are reuniting, but still. I mean, fuck.

I need to go take a cold shower again.

Boourns
08-29-2007, 12:02 AM

Camping out at one stage all-day like a retard is something I'd only consider doing for Pulp, Portishead, My Bloody Valentine, The Smiths, Neutral Milk Hotel. Of course, I'd have to buy a hundred bottles of water, some Gatorade (so I can piss in the bottles), and something to block the sun's hateful glare.

Then again, some people on here were crazy enough to get against the rail for Arcade Fire this year, and only arrived during Travis, so maybe it's not that hard to get up front. My friend did it for Pixies and Radiohead, and she got there during International Noise Conspiracy.

I've never been against the rail for any act at Coachella, not even on the side stages. Tried to do it for Jarvis Cocker by showing up during Stephen Marley, and suffering through Peaches instead of seeing JAMC, but it didn't happen...too many people already camped out. I left after Of Montreal to get food, drink, and meet up with someone.

Coachella 2008 will also feature an appearance by the Republican weather machine to make things cloudy and cool.

bballarl
08-29-2007, 12:04 AM
THEY ARE GOING TO BLOW OUR COLLECTIVE FUCKING MINDS.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-29-2007, 03:45 AM
I know people are saying that MBV isn't big/mainstream enough to headline, but more than enough people fucking love their work, especially Loveless, to guarantee a huge crowd from all over the world just to see them. And that makes them perfect for a Pixies/Massive Attack timeslot. Same with Portishead. God, I can't stress how much I'm dying to see these bands. Satellite Party could headline all three nights and I wouldn't care if Portishead and My Bloody Valentine are there.

After all those reunions and getting Jarvis Cocker to play America (you know he wouldn't have bothered with the other whopping four cities in the American tour if he hadn't been booked for Coachella), there was this feeling of "how can that be topped next year" going around, and, well, MBV and/or Portishead would do it for me.

you said it. But we should put Aphex Twin in there somewhere as well. Hell, if they got those 3 I don't know how they would ever top it..