PDA

View Full Version : My Bloody Valentine / Portishead

mandelbaum
08-27-2007, 08:01 AM
The article linked below says that MBV is likely to make a comeback at Coachella next year and also that Portishead is confirmed for '08. Apologies if this has already been posted.

http://www.thedailyswarm.com/swarm/believe-it-or-not-my-bloody-valentine-reuniting-for-coachella-2008/

BoardsofCoachella
08-27-2007, 08:29 AM
This is good news
Thanks for posting that.

shoegazer76
08-27-2007, 08:42 AM
Great detective work mandelbaum!
Cross our fingers. I can die a happy man if this happens!

Somewhat Damaged
08-27-2007, 09:11 AM
So would they likely headline on Sunday? And does this quell the notion of No Doubt headlining a day? I mean, having Radiohead & My Bloody Valentine headline 2 of the 3 days would make Gwen Stefani & Co. seem glaringly out of place.

Deviate_420
08-27-2007, 09:54 AM
So would they likely headline on Sunday? And does this quell the notion of No Doubt headlining a day? I mean, having Radiohead & My Bloody Valentine headline 2 of the 3 days would make Gwen Stefani & Co. seem glaringly out of place.

Are you retarded? Last year they had crowded house play before and Manu Chao which played right before Rage Against the Machine. Those 3 bands are so far apart from each other musically its ridiculous. I hope to the sweet virgin Mary
that No Doubt will play. It would make up for the travesty that is Radiohead...

Boourns
08-27-2007, 09:57 AM
If My Bloody Valentine, Portishead, and Radiohead play Coachella next year, it would be the greatest lineup in history. Oh God, I'm getting hard just thinking about it.

summerkid
08-27-2007, 10:14 AM
Wow can't believe we are hearing legit rumors already.

darthlaker
08-27-2007, 11:56 AM
I seen that this morning on URB.COM. But I beg to differ. 2004 with Radiohead, the pixies and kraftwrek was amazing then came Daft Punk in 2006. Don't see how they can top that??

gaypalmsprings
08-27-2007, 12:07 PM
3 threads, all the same topic

Somewhat Damaged
08-27-2007, 12:07 PM
Are you retarded? Last year they had crowded house play before and Manu Chao which played right before Rage Against the Machine. Those 3 bands are so far apart from each other musically its ridiculous. I hope to the sweet virgin Mary

I wasn't talking about the style of music played, fucktard, I was talking about the reverence the bands possess. It'd be like the Sahara headliners being Underworld on Friday, Chemical Brothers on Saturday, and DJ Keoki on Sunday. Wouldn't Keoki's placement seem rather ridiculous in comparison to the previous two days? If you have two ground-breaking, legendary headliners, whoever you get to do the third day should be at a similar level so the reaction isn't, "WTF happened to that third day?" And regardless of your opinion of Radiohead, that would be the reaction if No Doubt headlined alongside Radiohead and My Bloody Valentine. (The only way I can see that still happening is if the subheadliner is of the level of Portishead or PJ Harvey, kind of like Arcade Fire preceding Red Hot Chili Peppers on Saturday this year.)

summerkid
08-27-2007, 12:24 PM
at the same time the only way i can see my bloody valentine headline is if they have somebody fucking huge in the Sahara and a very commercial artist subheadlining like the Foo Fighters or something.

jtovar21
08-27-2007, 12:33 PM
My Bloody Valentine, Portishead, and Radiohead would just be plain insane. If this is true, I could finally die a happy man!

luveebunni08
08-27-2007, 12:34 PM
Wow can't believe we are hearing legit rumors already.

they get earlier every year. the dates for this year were announced a good two months earlier than usual. the article now, 3 months earlier than last year, already confirmed the dates for next year. soon we'll be getting rumors and "confirmations" sunday night as the festival's ending for the following year.

microcuts
08-27-2007, 12:34 PM
MBV are not headline material, they'll get the slot that Pixies/New Order/Massive Attack got.

rage patton
08-27-2007, 12:37 PM
Wait... this article wasnt claiming MBV were gonna headline, was it? If so, I doubt they would headline. The Jesus and Mary Chain werent headliner this year were they?

Portishead would be quite awesome though.

Funny enough though, the band that stood out to me most in that entire artcile, is The Specials! I would LOVE IT if Coachella could get together a full on Specials reunion. Yes. That means you Terry. And you too Jerry!

summerkid
08-27-2007, 12:39 PM
Wait... this article wasnt claiming MBV were gonna headline, was it? If so, I doubt they would headline.

It did and I totally agree with microcuts but the article is saying they are headlining of course the article could be jumping to conclusions based on the type of money mbv appears to be getting for this gig.

Deviate_420
08-27-2007, 02:56 PM
KYUSS FOR 08, NIGGAS!!!!!

rage patton
08-27-2007, 03:05 PM
It did and I totally agree with microcuts but the article is saying they are headlining of course the article could be jumping to conclusions based on the type of money mbv appears to be getting for this gig.

As much as a lot of people would be incredibly excited if this happened, I dont think they are a headliner draw. But yes, 7 figures usually only gets offered to headliners... but Coachella is different.

KYUSS FOR 08, NIGGAS!!!!!

Never happening, Josh Home has said many times he find it almost entertaining how they are bigger now then they were while they were playing. He plans to keep it that way.

captncrzy
08-27-2007, 03:25 PM
Tapdancing Christ...

SEARCH FUNCTION

captncrzy
08-27-2007, 03:26 PM
I wasn't talking about the style of music played, fucktard, I was talking about the reverence the bands possess. It'd be like the Sahara headliners being Underworld on Friday, Chemical Brothers on Saturday, and DJ Keoki on Sunday. Wouldn't Keoki's placement seem rather ridiculous in comparison to the previous two days? If you have two ground-breaking, legendary headliners, whoever you get to do the third day should be at a similar level so the reaction isn't, "WTF happened to that third day?" And regardless of your opinion of Radiohead, that would be the reaction if No Doubt headlined alongside Radiohead and My Bloody Valentine. (The only way I can see that still happening is if the subheadliner is of the level of Portishead or PJ Harvey, kind of like Arcade Fire preceding Red Hot Chili Peppers on Saturday this year.)

Yeah!

AEversW
08-27-2007, 03:50 PM
If My Bloody Valentine, Portishead, and Radiohead play Coachella next year, it would be the greatest lineup in history. Oh God, I'm getting hard just thinking about it.

seriously. I had a minor orgasm just reading this.

R3d Snapper
08-27-2007, 04:59 PM
portishead at sunset plz, kthxbai

shakermaker113
08-27-2007, 06:04 PM
receiving rumors sooner is going to make it feel like so much longer until the actual event. gah!

Somewhat Damaged
08-27-2007, 06:30 PM
Seriously. We're not even a third of the way to next year's festival!

shoegazer76
08-27-2007, 06:42 PM
Seriously. We're not even a third of the way to next year's festival!

Hey we're allowed to dream o.k!
In my dream Beth comes out with Shields & company to throw down.

gaypalmsprings
08-27-2007, 06:47 PM
Hey we're allowed to dream o.k!
In my dream Beth comes out with Shields & company to throw down.

http://people.msoe.edu/~meissned/pictures/demotivation/photos/Dreams.jpg

Mabdul Doobakus
08-27-2007, 08:44 PM
Jesus. I have to figure out a way to open a hole in my schedule so I can go to this.

Somewhat Damaged
08-27-2007, 08:46 PM
You better get on it. It's only 8 months away.

Mabdul Doobakus
08-27-2007, 08:51 PM
I can probably make this work if it's the last weekend in April. If it's the first weekend in May, I would probably have to disappear some people, but I suppose I could make that work, too.

EDIT: Oooo, the article says April. I'm excited.

Boourns
08-27-2007, 09:08 PM
People are going to be soooo disappointed if this doesn't happen, myself included.

I'm about 70% sure My Bloody Valentine will play, and 90% for Portishead. 50% for Radiohead.

Wheres the beef?
08-27-2007, 11:17 PM

wow man you have some balls to be dissing on the hallowed radiohead in these halls lol, these people will eat you alive for talking shit on radiohead.

SecretAgentX-9
08-27-2007, 11:40 PM
My Bloody Valentine, Portishead, and Radiohead would just be plain insane. If this is true, I could finally die a happy man!

i just heard the news about MBV.
and just checking, cause i rarely go on this board unless it's line up time, but is Radiohead another act that has been reported "confirmed" for next year? i know nothing is publicly confirmed until like, february, but are they in the same boat as MBV and Portishead?

lpshinoda11
08-27-2007, 11:43 PM
ok who the fuck is My Bloody Valentine and why would they headline? they only had 2 albums

shoegazer76
08-28-2007, 06:01 AM
ok who the fuck is My Bloody Valentine and why would they headline? they only had 2 albums

2 albums that you've never heard obviously.

masterdik
08-28-2007, 08:19 AM
shoegazer.. some people just dont get it.. this is coming from a guy who wanted the red hot chilli peppers to headline, and posted on rage messages.. not to mention his name alone is a reference to linkin park.. Unfortunately Coachella has the potential to become what Lollapalooza became in many ways before moving to chicago. I hope the MBV reunion is true, and will prevent some of these knuckleheads from showing..

hopefully the revolution is coming.

psychic friend
08-28-2007, 09:46 AM

that's what people were saying about daft punk about a year ago.

hahahahahhahah

lpshinoda11
08-28-2007, 09:52 AM
that's what people were saying about daft punk about a year ago.

hahahahahhahah

Did Daft Punk ever headline? I don't remember that, plus MBV aren't as popular as say......The Smiths or Tool or whoever. They didn't have any hits

captncrzy
08-28-2007, 09:59 AM
Did Daft Punk ever headline? I don't remember that, plus MBV aren't as popular as say......The Smiths or Tool or whoever. They didn't have any hits

Oh...my....God. Maybe they're "not as popular" in your mind. but any semi non-moron can see that this is a big darn deal.

masterdik
08-28-2007, 10:02 AM
tool? .. that about sums up your musical tastes.. just get over it.. if you haven't figured out mbv by now you wont...

lpshinoda11
08-28-2007, 10:05 AM
tool? .. that about sums up your musical tastes.. just get over it.. if you haven't figured out mbv by now you wont...

wtf does that mean? I was using Tool as a comparison, that doesn't mean I listen to or even like them. I just know they're 10x bigger

psychic friend
08-28-2007, 10:28 AM
celine dion is bigger.

so?

shoegazer76
08-28-2007, 10:29 AM
wtf does that mean? I was using Tool as a comparison, that doesn't mean I listen to or even like them. I just know they're 10x bigger

Come May or June of next year you'll be one of those generation Y brats talking bout how hip you are because you listen to MBV & own their 2 (or lets hope 3 LPs by then).

masterdik
08-28-2007, 10:34 AM
I will cross my fingers and toes..that this is true.. but we've been burned by mbv before.. coachella is the perfect place for this to happen.. was kevin shields there for Primal Scream a few years back?

lpshinoda11
08-28-2007, 10:38 AM
Come May or June of next year you'll be one of those generation Y brats talking bout how hip you are because you listen to MBV & own their 2 (or lets hope 3 LPs by then).

no I've listened to them after I heard the news and I can guarantee you that won't happen. I don't like them but that's cool if you guys do all I'm saying is, how does some random band from the 90s who didn't sell many records constitute a great headliner for Coachella over someone like Radiohead or Nine Inch Nails or someone else.

shoegazer76
08-28-2007, 10:39 AM
shoegazer.. some people just dont get it.. this is coming from a guy who wanted the red hot chilli peppers to headline, and posted on rage messages.. not to mention his name alone is a reference to linkin park.. Unfortunately Coachella has the potential to become what Lollapalooza became in many ways before moving to chicago. I hope the MBV reunion is true, and will prevent some of these knuckleheads from showing..

hopefully the revolution is coming.

I don't think Goldenvoice would ever let Coachella become what Lolla had become. I think they'd not have it at all before they let the integrity of the festival go to shit. I'm just tired of top 40 artists like the Peppers & Smashing Pumpkins being requested by all these highschooler noobs that as you've stated have very little knowledge or respect for artists that they're unaware of. Its their ignorance. Just because you don't know the band or artists & can't sing along to the songs doesn't mean their not worthy of performing at Coachella.
Awesome handle by the way Masterdik (I own a 12" copy of Masterdik) Sonic Youth for life!

canexplain
08-28-2007, 10:48 AM
I seen that this morning on URB.COM. But I beg to differ. 2004 with Radiohead, the pixies and kraftwrek was amazing then came Daft Punk in 2006. Don't see how they can top that??

2004 the best .................

shoegazer76
08-28-2007, 10:49 AM
no I've listened to them after I heard the news and I can guarantee you that won't happen. I don't like them but that's cool if you guys do all I'm saying is, how does some random band from the 90s who didn't sell many records constitute a great headliner for Coachella over someone like Radiohead or Nine Inch Nails or someone else.

Both Radiohead & NIN have already done the fest. Been there done that. I don't see any reason for GV to repeat other than they know they'll get a huge draw with Radiohead. The reason most of these bands are put on the bill & are headliners is because they haven't toured in years some cases decades & people are nostalgic about music. MBV haven't been together in more than 15 years! Its not about "They haven't sold enough records" or "Nobody knows who they are." or "They're not big enough." Its about paying respect to a band that dared to innovate & push the boundaries of music to take it to the next level where no band or artist has since gone & may never go. Do you know any band that can pull those sounds out of a guitar, bass, drums, etc.? I'd put my life & everything I own on it that you don't. Listen to their material more. You can't just listen to their stuff once & form an opinion. It grows on you with each listen, trust me.

masterdik
08-28-2007, 10:49 AM
I hope coachella doesnt turn for the worse. You're right it is the same thing every year with people requesting these larger bands to headline, no doubt? come on.. This is why I stopped going to Coachella for the last couple of years, do I really want to kick it with Paris Hilton, or sit in a tent with Thurston Moore listening to Ian Mackaye. Tough choice.. I choose Thurston.. Hell why not have Watt up there doing his spiel?.. If I want to go to an indie-fest like coachella, I just dont want to be subjected to some of the fans of the larger bands, and or music.. The great thing about coachella is you can always go off into a tent, and discover something different..

canexplain
08-28-2007, 10:50 AM

coachella is known for a big reunion each year if they can pull it off .... so any big band in the past, could be a headliner over a current "big" band ... just my opinion ... cr****

masterdik
08-28-2007, 10:50 AM
well put shoegazer

shoegazer76
08-28-2007, 10:54 AM
well put shoegazer

power of the pen my friend. or keyboard I should say.

captncrzy
08-28-2007, 11:20 AM
Both Radiohead & NIN have already done the fest. Been there done that. I don't see any reason for GV to repeat other than they know they'll get a huge draw with Radiohead. The reason most of these bands are put on the bill & are headliners is because they haven't toured in years some cases decades & people are nostalgic about music. MBV haven't been together in more than 15 years! Its not about "They haven't sold enough records" or "Nobody knows who they are." or "They're not big enough." Its about paying respect to a band that dared to innovate & push the boundaries of music to take it to the next level where no band or artist has since gone & may never go. Do you know any band that can pull those sounds out of a guitar, bass, drums, etc.? I'd put my life & everything I own on it that you don't. Listen to their material more. You can't just listen to their stuff once & form an opinion. It grows on you with each listen, trust me.

i <3 u

tyles
08-28-2007, 01:03 PM

Rage only had 3 studio albums and a covers album ( not counting the live album ), and so what? Quality, not quantity. My Bloody Valentine would be a great addition to next year's line up. Not saying they'd close out the Coachella main stage... but then again, Tiesto closed out the main stage on Saturday after RHCP played, so who knows?

tyles
08-28-2007, 01:10 PM
Hmmmmmmm... no denials from Psychic Friend about this... yet!

summerkid
08-28-2007, 01:15 PM

If that were the case The Pixies would have headlined over Radiohead and shinoda is right. MBV doesn't have the kind of popularity or pull to headline Coachella, they just don't. the headliner needs to be band that can sell out arenas or other huge venues because you are kind of depending on them to sell some tickets. Look I'm excited about this news too, but like I said the only way MBV could headline Coachella if they have someone like the Foo Fighters subheadlining or a similar big act with mainstream appeal and a huge ass sahara headliner that day too.

psychic friend
08-28-2007, 01:34 PM
ya they aint headliners.

orbit
08-28-2007, 01:46 PM
If GV gets My Bloody Valentine, Portishead and Aphex Twin as subheadliners or whatever, I wouldn't care if Green Day or Linkin Park are headlining.

mandelbaum
08-28-2007, 01:58 PM
I don't think Goldenvoice would ever let Coachella become what Lolla had become. I think they'd not have it at all before they let the integrity of the festival go to shit. I'm just tired of top 40 artists like the Peppers & Smashing Pumpkins being requested by all these highschooler noobs that as you've stated have very little knowledge or respect for artists that they're unaware of. Its their ignorance. Just because you don't know the band or artists & can't sing along to the songs doesn't mean their not worthy of performing at Coachella.
Awesome handle by the way Masterdik (I own a 12" copy of Masterdik) Sonic Youth for life!

All Smashing Pumpkins fans are not ignorant high schoolers. I grew up a huge Pumpkins fan and would love to see them play Coachella. Me wanting the Pumpkins does not mean that I am ignorant about other music whatsoever.

But hey, you own a 12" copy of Masterdik so your opinion must count more than others.

RotationSlimWang
08-28-2007, 02:07 PM
I haven't heard anyone mention Pixies for this year. PF, is there any chance? I really want either radiohead or Pixies, I almost don't care which one because I'd like to see a full Radiohead show for my first one, but we need to get at least half of that ultimate two-fer from 2004 back.

shoegazer76
08-28-2007, 02:28 PM
All Smashing Pumpkins fans are not ignorant high schoolers. I grew up a huge Pumpkins fan and would love to see them play Coachella. Me wanting the Pumpkins does not mean that I am ignorant about other music whatsoever.

But hey, you own a 12" copy of Masterdik so your opinion must count more than others.

I grew up a huge Pumpkins fan too & they played decent once of the 3 times I've seen them as the original lineup. If you wanna see the Pumpkins then catch them on their shity little nationwide tour. Why wait for Coachella?
& I was complementing dude on his name not suggesting my superiority over any others so fuck off with your assumptions.

shoegazer76
08-28-2007, 02:31 PM
If GV gets My Bloody Valentine, Portishead and Aphex Twin as subheadliners or whatever, I wouldn't care if Green Day or Linkin Park are headlining.

No shit I'm not suggesting they headline. I'd rather they didn't actually I just want MBV to be booked. Hell I don't care if they open the day as long as they play.

masterdik
08-28-2007, 03:08 PM
I feel the same way.. I dont care if mbv headlines (we know it wont happen, if the pixies couldnt do it).. I'd love to see them in a tent (- the heat).. hell if mbv plays, I dont see why they shouldn't add dinosaur on the bill as well.. keep em coming.. afghan whigs, pavement (reunion?), malkmus by himself, superchunk, polvo, ....

less rock.. more substance.

mandelbaum
08-28-2007, 03:27 PM
I grew up a huge Pumpkins fan too & they played decent once of the 3 times I've seen them as the original lineup. If you wanna see the Pumpkins then catch them on their shity little nationwide tour. Why wait for Coachella?
& I was complementing dude on his name not suggesting my superiority over any others so fuck off with your assumptions.

Well, you were making assumptions about Smashing Pumpkins and Chili Peppers fans not being knowledgeable about other music in the first place. So fuck off with your assumptions.

BoardsofCoachella
08-28-2007, 03:34 PM

superfiction
08-28-2007, 04:13 PM
how can you lump pumpkins and peppers in the same group. no way dude. love the pumpkins. peppers blow smoke outta their assholes. im so sick of them. the new pumpkins may suck. but that would be no different than going to that proposed smiths reunion with just johnny marr and morrisey

malcolmjamalawesome
08-28-2007, 04:15 PM
how can you lump pumpkins and peppers in the same group. no way dude. love the pumpkins. peppers blow smoke outta their assholes. im so sick of them. the new pumpkins may suck. but that would be no different than going to that proposed smiths reunion with just johnny marr and morrisey

Rap/Rock is Life .... YOU'VE COME BACK TO US!

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-28-2007, 05:17 PM
You think MBV will perform one of their infamous noise meltdown shows? I always read about them and thought that would be epic to see and hear (kinda) live...

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-28-2007, 05:18 PM

GREATEST COACHELLA EVER!!!

orbit
08-28-2007, 05:38 PM
Nope, it's missing Aphex Twin.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-28-2007, 05:43 PM

Christ! MBV, Portis and Aphex in one day? I would die...

Somewhat Damaged
08-28-2007, 06:16 PM
I feel the same way.. I dont care if mbv headlines (we know it wont happen, if the pixies couldnt do it).. I'd love to see them in a tent (- the heat).. hell if mbv plays, I dont see why they shouldn't add dinosaur on the bill as well.. keep em coming.. afghan whigs, pavement (reunion?), malkmus by himself, superchunk, polvo, ....

For the record, I predicted Dinosaur Jr. to play next year waaaaaay back in May. I would tell you the thread but there've been so many "Predictions for 2008" threads already that I have no idea.

shakermaker113
08-28-2007, 06:17 PM
I recall reading somewhere on the boards, a while back, that aphex twin wouldn't come back to coachella after they added him to the poster in 2001 before he was confirmed. is there any truth to that, or was that just garbage like most of the other info I read? did he do his dj set in 2001? can anyone tell us how that was?

orbit
08-28-2007, 06:34 PM
He didn't perform in 2001. Instead, Squarepusher did.

We need more WARP crew. Seriously.

shoegazer76
08-28-2007, 06:46 PM

Polvo all the way. Thats a band I don't think anybody has ever mentioned on this board. Not that I've seen anyway. Superchunk would be sweet too. Did you see their tour together back in the day? Afghan Whigs used to be so huge here in Ohio being from Cincinasty & all. They actually played the fairgrounds of this lame town I'm in. Music critics started doggin on Greg the lead singer for some reason & they eventually disbsanded. They had some great cuts though "Drink & Smoke & Stick it in" I dug the shit outta that song.

shoegazer76
08-28-2007, 06:53 PM
For the record, I predicted Dinosaur Jr. to play next year waaaaaay back in May. I would tell you the thread but there've been so many "Predictions for 2008" threads already that I have no idea.

O.k. So why couldn't Dinosaur Jr. be considered a headliner? J has been around & never turned his back on the scene all these years. Mascis' has proved he is a diehard touring force especially on the underground scene with his solo shows & other projects. Now that Dinosaur is back in full swing with all 3 orignial members it would definately be a draw. They were absolutely stunning at Lolla 05. They played every oldschool hit flawlessy like they'd never stopped. Thank God Lou & J put there differences aside to make a new killer album & tour.

Trick Loves The Kids
08-28-2007, 07:16 PM
downtempo / glitch shit (portishead/aphex twin respectively) are boring as hell live

orbit
08-28-2007, 07:37 PM
I still would get an orgasm. Two, actually.

orbit
08-28-2007, 07:41 PM
And please, visuals by Chris Cunningham.

summerkid
08-29-2007, 12:18 AM
http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2007/08/my-bloody-valen.html

"it's definitely happening"

theburiedlife
08-29-2007, 12:24 AM
Oh sweet shoegaze god make this happen.

PassiveTheory
08-29-2007, 12:33 AM
If the PNYC disc is anything to go off of (granted, I think it's nearing a decade in age), the instrumentation and the pure power of Beth's vocals would definitely make the performance anything but "boring" or "dreary"... I mean, I know it's downtempo, but it's not fucking Boards of Canada (no offense, I'm starting to like them too). Either way, I would absolutely love to see Portishead (probably not headline but be the 2nd name down) after whatever headliner leaves the stage, at like 10pm-ish and close out the night. Magnifique.

And although it may be just 1/2th of the Pumpkins, if MBV does play Coachella and doesn't headline, I couldn't think of a more proper headliner than Billy Corgan since I can see a lot of where SP got it's sound in MBV (even though I've only given Loveless a few listens thus far).

I could live with SP headlining, but please, for the love of god, no White Stripes... and if avoidable, no Radiohead. Or at least, if Radiohead, put them against Portishead so I can enjoy the end of my night...

Boourns
08-29-2007, 12:47 AM
Radiohead against Portishead? Are you retarded?

summerkid
08-29-2007, 12:53 AM

can you imagine how upset people would be if that happened? dear god.

PassiveTheory
08-29-2007, 01:05 AM

No, actually, it'd mean a hell of a lot more intimate set. The Portishead set, I mean.

masterdik
08-29-2007, 07:43 AM
Polvo all the way. Thats a band I don't think anybody has ever mentioned on this board. Not that I've seen anyway. Superchunk would be sweet too. Did you see their tour together back in the day? Afghan Whigs used to be so huge here in Ohio being from Cincinasty & all. They actually played the fairgrounds of this lame town I'm in. Music critics started doggin on Greg the lead singer for some reason & they eventually disbsanded. They had some great cuts though "Drink & Smoke & Stick it in" I dug the shit outta that song.

Yep, I was able to see polvo/superchunk years ago in Sacramento at this tiny punk theater.. polvo was so unbelievable I was able to catch them live twice. one of the greatest math rock bands ever.. afghans would definitely be another tent band, I think..they can get the groove on.

amyzzz
08-29-2007, 09:46 AM
Fans would be burning effigies of Paul Tollett in the campground.

Boourns
08-29-2007, 12:49 PM
No, actually, it'd mean a hell of a lot more intimate set. The Portishead set, I mean.

Yeah, it's called see them on their own tour.

amyzzz
08-29-2007, 12:57 PM
Yeah, it's called see them on their own tour.
Oh damn. I need to save up extra money for a possible Portishead tour. I'll probably have to see them in LA because I doubt they'd come to Phx. ARGH!~!

brando4n82
08-29-2007, 01:14 PM
Sorry i dont know if this has been posted and im not gonna bother to check. I'm not too fond of this band, but thought you guys woudl like to see this, take it with a "grain of salt" if you will..

Later rumors

In 2004, My Bloody Valentine were rumored to be re-recording five additional tracks in Berlin for the re-release of 1990's Glider EP; however, if anything was recorded, it has yet to surface.[citation needed]

As reported on Pitchfork Media, Shields said in an interview in the January/February 2007 issue of Magnet that My Bloody Valentine will record another album "100%" . . . "unless we die or something."[5]

According to music magazine The Daily Swarm, a performance at the 2008 edition of the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival is being negotiated and a world tour is on the works, although Vinita Joshi, Kevin Shield's manager, said that “there are no confirmed shows at all.” [6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Bloody_Valentine

ddm1971
08-29-2007, 01:57 PM
i would love to see my bloody valentine play next year but at the moment is pure speculation, i will only believe this rumour when they are up there on stage! remember cocteau twins?

Somewhat Damaged
08-29-2007, 05:01 PM
Sorry i dont know if this has been posted and im not gonna bother to check. I'm not too fond of this band, but thought you guys woudl like to see this, take it with a "grain of salt" if you will..

Later rumors

In 2004, My Bloody Valentine were rumored to be re-recording five additional tracks in Berlin for the re-release of 1990's Glider EP; however, if anything was recorded, it has yet to surface.[citation needed]

As reported on Pitchfork Media, Shields said in an interview in the January/February 2007 issue of Magnet that My Bloody Valentine will record another album "100%" . . . "unless we die or something."[5]

According to music magazine The Daily Swarm, a performance at the 2008 edition of the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival is being negotiated and a world tour is on the works, although Vinita Joshi, Kevin Shield's manager, said that “there are no confirmed shows at all.” [6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Bloody_Valentine

Y'know, bothering to check would have entailed the Herculean task of reading the very first post in this thread. And the same basic thread in the Rumors/Gossip and Lounge sections. Just sayin'.

amyzzz: I was thinking the same thing about a Portishead tour. If they're remotely close to Arizona, I'm travelling to see them.

amyzzz
08-29-2007, 05:10 PM
I travelled to see them in LA the first (and only) time I saw them. I can't remember if that was in 1997 or 1998 though. Leaning towards 1997.

brando4n82
08-29-2007, 05:34 PM
Y'know, bothering to check would have entailed the Herculean task of reading the very first post in this thread. And the same basic thread in the Rumors/Gossip and Lounge sections. Just sayin'.

amyzzz: I was thinking the same thing about a Portishead tour. If they're remotely close to Arizona, I'm travelling to see them.

No.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-29-2007, 06:02 PM
Fans would be burning effigies of Paul Tollett in the campground.

I would be leading that pack...I highly doubt there are that crazy...

Boourns
08-30-2007, 03:29 AM
ULTIMATE CONFLICT!

Main: The Smiths
Outdoor: Portishead
Sahara: Pulp
Mojave: My Bloody Valentine
Gobi: Neutral Milk Hotel
Do Lab: Radiohead

clarky123
08-30-2007, 03:57 AM
ULTIMATE CONFLICT!

Boourns - Can you please enlighten me and tell me what your rationale is for including The Smiths on this list? I'm not being snarky I just wondered.

menikmati
08-30-2007, 06:28 PM
I'll take Boards of Canada over any of this. You hear me Paul? Boards of Canada please!!! I'm going to continue doing this every year for the rest of my life until it happens.

Somewhat Damaged
08-30-2007, 07:02 PM
Boourns - Can you please enlighten me and tell me what your rationale is for including The Smiths on this list? I'm not being snarky I just wondered.

Just a guess but excluding Radiohead, all the bands listed are groups that are disbanded and have people clamoring for them to appear every year. Perhaps that's why Radiohead got put in the Do Lab, since they've never broken up and have actually been at Coachella already?

clarky123
08-31-2007, 01:40 AM
Just a guess but excluding Radiohead, all the bands listed are groups that are disbanded and have people clamoring for them to appear every year. Perhaps that's why Radiohead got put in the Do Lab, since they've never broken up and have actually been at Coachella already?

Ok, thanks, that makes sense. It's more pure conjecture.

Boourns
09-01-2007, 01:12 PM
I really hope for gv's sake that My Bloody Valentine really is playing. Rumors like this get people so excited, and if it ends up not happening, everyone is going to be so pissed, and if they made an offer, it not goldenvoice's fault.

orbit
09-01-2007, 01:36 PM
ULTIMATE CONFLICT!

I'd go with Pulp probably.

And yeah, Boards of Canada and/or AFX would be enough for me. I'd get seriously crazy if Mike Paradinas get on stage with Aphex. Jesus, that thing would be extremely beautiful. Mental orgasms everywhere.

Boourns
09-01-2007, 01:42 PM
GOod call. I'd pick Pulp over anyone at this point.

Wheres the beef?
09-01-2007, 07:40 PM
ULTIMATE CONFLICT!

LOL Radiohead in the Do Lab. That would be the ultimate coachella surprise.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-02-2007, 03:18 PM
ULTIMATE CONFLICT!

God, that conflict is so evil...it would be a toss up for me with Radiohead/MBV/Portishead....

gazercmh
09-02-2007, 10:44 PM
was kevin shields there for Primal Scream a few years back?

no shields when primal scream played at coachella. at least, not on stage.

psychic friend
09-02-2007, 10:53 PM
ULTIMATE CONFLICT!

thats the most unrealistic fantasy i have seen yet.

mimi3000
09-02-2007, 11:02 PM
MBV!!!!! WHEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

Wheres the beef?
09-02-2007, 11:09 PM
MBV!!!!! WHEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

Really?

Sladokusac
09-03-2007, 04:15 AM
i guess protishead are playin 99%
european promotors are startin to get offers for portishead shows, spring 2008, looks like may at this stage...
so i guess they'll start the whole thing in 2008 with the coachella performance, like many bands do

seein them this December in the UK at ATP fest

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-03-2007, 02:32 PM
european promotors are startin to get offers for portishead shows, spring 2008, looks like may at this stage...
so i guess they'll start the whole thing in 2008 with the coachella performance, like many bands do

please see Aphex Twin as well! (Lucky bastard.....)

tklint24
09-03-2007, 04:38 PM
I'll take Boards of Canada over any of this. You hear me Paul? Boards of Canada please!!! I'm going to continue doing this every year for the rest of my life until it happens.

Yea, for sure, Boards of Canada would kills any of these acts...including MBV, Portishead, or even Radiohead. Boards of Canada are the greatest. The only problem is that they supposedly don't do live shows...which hopefully changes. Just imagine witnessing Dayvan Cowboy, Roygbiv, Aquarias, and Peacock Tail live at Coachella. Radiohead and MBV would also be great draws too, but i think Portishead is a bit overrated.

betao
09-03-2007, 04:43 PM
BOC have done like 10 or 11 live shows ever. I remember reading a review of one awhile back, all I can remember from the review was that it was loud haha.

if they came to play at coachella, it would be worth traveling across the nation for.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-03-2007, 04:44 PM
Yea, for sure, Boards of Canada would kills any of these acts...including MBV, Portishead, or even Radiohead. Boards of Canada are the greatest. The only problem is that they supposedly don't do live shows...which hopefully changes. Just imagine witnessing Dayvan Cowboy, Roygbiv, Aquarias, and Peacock Tail live at Coachella. Radiohead and MBV would also be great draws too, but i think Portishead is a bit overrated.

I am 100% sure BoC would be a huge draw given it would be like their 10th performance ever...but I don't know if it would "kill" MBV, Portishead or Radiohead live..since they play so little who knows what to expect? We know Portishead and Radiohead are amazing live and from what I read those final MBV shows were incredible...

rage patton
09-03-2007, 04:49 PM
I was talking to a guy at Daft Punk, and he said at one of the few Boards of Canada shows, it was so fuckin loud some of the speakers broke.

PassiveTheory
09-03-2007, 06:36 PM

Between the two, I think BoC is more overrated. I really like Dayvan Cowboy, Chromakey Dreamcoat, and a few other songs, but, for the most part, BoC is really nice chill music, whereas Beth Gibbons and Portishead speak volumes to me on an emotional level.

Just sayin'.

PORTISHEAD IN 08' BABY!!!!

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-03-2007, 07:11 PM
I was talking to a guy at Daft Punk, and he said at one of the few Boards of Canada shows, it was so fuckin loud some of the speakers broke.

You serious? From what the bass? That would be epic...

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-03-2007, 07:12 PM
Between the two, I think BoC is more overrated. I really like Dayvan Cowboy, Chromakey Dreamcoat, and a few other songs, but, for the most part, BoC is really nice chill music, whereas Beth Gibbons and Portishead speak volumes to me on an emotional level.

Just sayin'.

PORTISHEAD IN 08' BABY!!!!

While I don't think that BoC is overrated I do agree on the Portishead comment..and yes Portishead for 08'!!!

PassiveTheory
09-03-2007, 11:50 PM
Augh, my intent wasn't clear, I suppose.

BoC isn't overrated in of itself, but they're more overrated than Portishead. You dig?

betao
09-03-2007, 11:56 PM
dawn chorus live would be amazing.

Boourns
09-04-2007, 12:14 AM

God, I sure hope they do play Coachella. It'd be pointless for them to say no now that they are finally doing shows again. That's the band I've been into for the longest time but have never been able to see, not counting bands with dead people like Nirvana, The Beatles, etc.

Someone sent me an mp3 of the live "Strangers" and "Glory Box", and I was instantly addicted. Bought the live CD online and then Dummy on vinyl. Mmm.

Boourns
09-04-2007, 12:18 AM
I hope that that Portishead comes to LA after Coachella to do a show at the Bowl with the LA Phil. September? That's the month EVERY FUCKING BAND comes to LA, after all.

mimi3000
09-04-2007, 12:32 AM
Really?

Whaddayamean? REALLY. MBV. WHEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!Same goes for Portishead.
WHEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

captncrzy
09-04-2007, 10:40 AM
Wow Kingsblend...someone doesn't understand your dry wit...

rage patton
09-04-2007, 01:03 PM
You serious? From what the bass? That would be epic...

Apparently it was actually that the equiptment they were using was to complex for the speakers and the sound it produced blew the speakers.
Boards of Canada live shows are almost completely different from their recorded music.

PassiveTheory
09-04-2007, 03:07 PM
Their equipment was too complex?... And their sounds were too complex for the poor speakers to comprehend?... I'm sorry, but that's fucking hillarious.

Boards of Canada, for when simple music is too delicate for your speakers... pussy.

gazercmh
09-04-2007, 05:39 PM
maybe they meant the equipment was too complex for BOC to operate it correctly.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-04-2007, 05:47 PM
Apparently it was actually that the equiptment they were using was to complex for the speakers and the sound it produced blew the speakers.
Boards of Canada live shows are almost completely different from their recorded music.

aside from the sarcasm of the last 2 post made by our other friends here...that sounds epic...

Boourns
09-24-2007, 12:51 PM
So, have there been any developments lately with MBV/Portishead rumors?

kaeso
09-24-2007, 01:57 PM
apparently not

summerkid
09-24-2007, 02:01 PM
So, have there been any developments lately with MBV/Portishead rumors?

what more can we have? besides Paul Tollet or Kevin Shields confirming it in an interview. I mean even Entertainment Weekly reported that it was definitely happening.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-25-2007, 03:13 PM
what more can we have? besides Paul Tollet or Kevin Shields confirming it in an interview. I mean even Entertainment Weekly reported that it was definitely happening.

So if it doesn't happen then we all march in EW offices and destroy them right?

Boourns
10-29-2007, 03:23 PM
HOLY MONK

From NME:

Mark E Smith, Kevin Shields, Shaun Ryder for 'Soft Focus' web TV series

Billy Childish, Bobby Gillespie and Graham Coxon will also appear
1 hour ago

Mark E Smith, Kevin Shields, Shaun Ryder and Billy Childish are among the artists interviewed for a UK version of 'Soft Focus' on VBS.TV.

Bobby Gillespie and Graham Coxon are also featured in the forthcoming series, which sees former Make-Up frontman Ian Svenonius host the show and interview music legends.

Speaking to NME.COM from his hometown of Washington DC, Svenonius admits that being the interviewer is not something he necessarily enjoys:

"I enjoy repartee, but it's more of a duty, If you want to enjoy yourself you have a nice cup of coffee, we're doing this to do something interesting."

And he says like the previous series, which included interviews with Will Oldham, Chan Marshall and Ian Mackaye, this one will avoid the traditional interview route with musicians.
Svenonius says his intention is that the interviews should feel like memorable encounters with the subjects.

"It's like that conversation you had with Eddie Cochrane on his way to the bathroom and it's stuck in your memory, someone who's important to you, It's not supposed to be definitive. It's an aesthetic kind of thing. There's moments."

And he says his occasionally press-shy British subjects were a welcome addition to the 'Soft Focus' family.

"British people like to talk and they talk well. The British expect their pop stars to a more ideological flair whereas Americans are looking for the gesture. Billy Childish was a huge inspiration to me, Mark E Smith is a great man. He's got a great malevolent energy, a real presence.

Svenonius also spoke to Kevin Shields about the rumoured My Bloody Valentine reunion for Coachella 2008.

"Kevin Shields is a charming, gracious guy. There's a difference between guitar players and singers and of course he's a singer but he's more of a guitar player temperament. Singers are always over-compensating in interviews, whereas guitar players are more introverted. He's making a new record, but My Bloody Valentine is about to headline Coachchella so I think that was part of the impetus for doing the interview."

Series two of 'Soft Focus' premieres today on VBS.TV.

http://www.nme.com/news/mark-smith-e/32144

paulb
10-29-2007, 03:27 PM
Headline? oh god no...

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-29-2007, 03:31 PM
Headline? oh god no...

why? Just have them do it Sunday night because after them the speakers with be gone...

Boourns
10-29-2007, 03:32 PM
BEST HEADLINER EVER

But he could mean co-headlining, like Pixies in 2004.

paulb
10-29-2007, 03:33 PM
co-headliner would be alright...i just figure in my head, if there are only 3 headliners, i wouldnt want them to be 1 of them. Although, hell, i can only come up with 2 headliners in my head right now.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-29-2007, 03:36 PM
BEST HEADLINER EVER

But he could mean co-headlining, like Pixies in 2004.

That is what I am thinking but you never know with this festival.....

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-29-2007, 03:36 PM
co-headliner would be alright...i just figure in my head, if there are only 3 headliners, i wouldnt want them to be 1 of them. Although, hell, i can only come up with 2 headliners in my head right now.

and who would those be?

paulb
10-29-2007, 03:41 PM
Radiohead and the Cranberries.

I figure, for each one of the headliners, they need to be an act that will make it worth coming from Vancouver to see. Im going to matter who headlines...but I am hoping for Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, SMD and stuff...

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-29-2007, 03:42 PM
Radiohead and the Cranberries.

I figure, for each one of the headliners, they need to be an act that will make it worth coming from Vancouver to see. Im going to matter who headlines...but I am hoping for Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, SMD and stuff...

All for Radiohead, but the Cranberries?

paulb
10-29-2007, 03:43 PM
Its a reunion Id like to see... they dont need to headline...but I think it would be cool to see them there.

Boourns
10-29-2007, 04:14 PM

Well, in any case they definitely should close out Sunday night. TeamCoachellaHellYeah is right. I think R.E.M. would be a good choice for a band to play before them on the main stage. Like so:
R.E.M. 8:50-10:10
My Bloody Valentine 10:40-12:00

PassiveTheory
10-29-2007, 04:16 PM
R.E.M. and MBV I'd be down for.

Maybe Swervedriver would play on the same day?

paulb
10-29-2007, 04:29 PM
REM would make me very happy.

luckyface
10-29-2007, 04:36 PM
The Cranberries as a headliner?? Come on man. I can understand wanting them, but are you serious when you think they would actually be headliner worthy? Maybe they could have pulled it off in 1994, but their latter albums bombed big time.

betao
10-29-2007, 07:04 PM
Well, in any case they definitely should close out Sunday night. TeamCoachellaHellYeah is right. I think R.E.M. would be a good choice for a band to play before them on the main stage. Like so:
R.E.M. 8:50-10:10
My Bloody Valentine 10:40-12:00

that would cause MBV to play against the sahara headliner. This could be a nightmare for me.

PassiveTheory
10-29-2007, 07:07 PM
Woah, why wouldn't the Sahara headliner be against R.E.M.?

I mean, unless it's like Underworld, I doubt I see that happening. I do see R.E.M. being either the day 1 headliner or day 3 headliner, however.

SecretAgentX-9
10-29-2007, 07:20 PM
Wait wait wait, did I just read a complaint against a MBV headlining position, and then a proposal for the CRANBERRIES?
And please please no REM

Boourns
10-29-2007, 08:44 PM
that would cause MBV to play against the sahara headliner. This could be a nightmare for me.

Suppose it\'s some cheesy trance dj and not someone good, then it won\'t matter. The Sahara headliner doesn\'t always close out the night, anyway.

betao
10-29-2007, 08:58 PM
Suppose it\'s some cheesy trance dj and not someone good, then it won\'t matter. The Sahara headliner doesn\'t always close out the night, anyway.

doesnt the sahara headliner close out the dance test almost always? and cheesy trance DJs never really "headline" the tent. It's usually a high caliber act (underworld, chemical brothers, prodigy, daft punk, kraftwerk - just to name a few)

Boourns
10-29-2007, 09:07 PM
Remember the acts that closed out the dance tent this year? And let\'s not forget about Madonna playing the tent before Massive Attack and Tool. Hmmm...maybe a similar setup will happen this year with Kylie Minogue.

Somewhat Damaged
10-30-2007, 10:53 AM
Underworld was the Sahara headliner on day 2 of 2003 but Ritchie Hawtin closed out the tent. Both Happy Mondays and Paul van Dyk were billed higher on the poster for day 3 this year but Infected Mushroom closed out the tent. As for "cheesy trance DJs" headlining Sahara, I'm pretty sure Paul van Dyk closed out the tent on day 2 in 2004.

mimi3000
11-07-2007, 11:49 PM
http://www.thedailyswarm.com/swarm/my-bloody-valentine-reunion-confirmed/
READ THIS! HOPE ITS TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!

faxman75
11-08-2007, 10:28 AM
Why do you hope it's true? The first report had this as a "confirmation".
This one, not so much. Still in negotiations. I would say it's falling apart if they are still negotiating after a few months.

Sorry but YOU FAIL AT THE INTERNETS

As for My Bloody Valentine’s return to the stage and possible appearance at Coachella 2008, we have no new news to report (the subject does not come up in the Soft Focus interview). According to sources close to the band and the festival, discussions are ongoing and no final decisions have yet been made.

summerkid
11-08-2007, 10:34 AM
seriously, things are looking bleak on the mbv at Coachella front I'm starting to doubt it will happen. With no Radiohead, no MBV reunion I'm beginning to get concerned even though I probably shouldn't be.

Somewhat Damaged
11-08-2007, 03:04 PM
Dude, the line-up announcement is still a few months away. No Radiohead? It's a bummer, yeah, but have faith in Goldenvoice -- perhaps it's because they've got an even bigger card up their sleeves. As for the reports saying MBV is still in negotiations, maybe they're just being coy to fuck with our heads, make us question the certainty of their being there next year. Perhaps it was one of those things that Goldenvoice wanted to keep secret and with the cat let out of the bag, they're doing what they can to re-instill some mystery, keep us on our toes.

paulb
11-08-2007, 03:25 PM
Im sure GV will throw out HUGE names this year...but it just sucks not knowing and having to guess and speculate and get your hopes up...

microlovebeat
11-08-2007, 05:02 PM
Dude, the line-up announcement is still a few months away. No Radiohead? It's a bummer, yeah, but have faith in Goldenvoice -- perhaps it's because they've got an even bigger card up their sleeves. As for the reports saying MBV is still in negotiations, maybe they're just being coy to fuck with our heads, make us question the certainty of their being there next year. Perhaps it was one of those things that Goldenvoice wanted to keep secret and with the cat let out of the bag, they're doing what they can to re-instill some mystery, keep us on our toes.

who said radiohead definitely isn't going to be there???? do you work for goldenvoice?

EDIT: nvm i saw dani's post. gayness. i think it's a lie.

betao
11-08-2007, 07:22 PM
no radiohead.. that really sucks for me :-/

drugks Gillespie
11-14-2007, 11:06 PM
The pumpkins are fucking weak these days. GV steer clear please.

tockster
11-15-2007, 06:00 AM
My Bloody Valentine first 2008 live dates announced:

http://www.thedailyswarm.com/swarm/my-bloody-valentine-live-dates/

amyzzz
11-15-2007, 07:42 AM
If Coachella can get these two (see title of thread), then that's a start. No Radiohead is painful though. PAINFUL.

brando4n82
11-15-2007, 08:38 AM
My Bloody Portishead

Mockingbird73
11-15-2007, 12:04 PM
THE CRANBERRIES??? The very idea makes me want to jam icepicks in my ears.

bluck!

Sexecutioner
11-15-2007, 01:15 PM
seriously, things are looking bleak on the mbv at Coachella front I'm starting to doubt it will happen. With no Radiohead, no MBV reunion I'm beginning to get concerned even though I probably shouldn't be.

you're right, you shouldnt be. no matter who they get this year, it will be good. Coachella is always good. its one of those things you can always count on...like getting laid...even if its not as great as the last time, its still really good.

Neutral Milk Hotel
11-15-2007, 01:29 PM
My Bloody Portishead

Hilarious.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
11-17-2007, 07:27 PM
If Coachella can get these two (see title of thread), then that's a start. No Radiohead is painful though. PAINFUL.

Very very painful!!

Wheres the beef?
11-17-2007, 11:53 PM

Ah yes. Because theres nothing that the folks at goldenvoice are more concerned with than what a handful of people on the coachella message board are thinking.
Paul T, "Yes! Those fools on the coachella message board think that MBV won't be attending. We have them right where we want them! Mwahahah!" *rubs hands in sinister fashion*

sacleonard
11-18-2007, 12:03 AM
...maybe they're just being coy to fuck with our heads...

ROXANNE

rage patton
11-18-2007, 12:11 AM
Ah yes. Because theres nothing that the folks at goldenvoice are more concerned with than what a handful of people on the coachella message board are thinking.
Paul T, "Yes! Those fools on the coachella message board think that MBV won't be attending. We have them right where we want them! Mwahahah!" *rubs hands in sinister fashion*

If I was him... I would actually do shit like that. I would find it incredibly funny.
But to be fair, us on the Coachella message boards obviously aren't the only ones talking about a MBV reunion at Coachella. Rumours are going around ALL over the internet.

MBV news is cool and all.... but seriously... whats the deal with Portishead. All I want to hear is they are there next year, and I will be good.