PDA

View Full Version : What does not represent your community?

clarky123
08-25-2007, 05:19 PM
Go on then?

superfiction
08-25-2007, 06:41 PM
michael bolton

DeltaSigChi4
08-25-2007, 10:16 PM
Dumbass tourists.

E

DeltaSigChi4
08-25-2007, 10:17 PM
On second thought, they are always infesting us, so I suppose they represent the area.

E

algunz
08-26-2007, 07:41 AM
The OC, Laguna Beach, or the new one Newport Harbor. These people are here, but it is not all of us.

gaypalmsprings
08-26-2007, 08:46 AM
The Parker, Hidden Springs

ThomThom
08-26-2007, 08:59 AM
Bad driver's, illegal immigrants, spoiled middle eastern kids, and Paris Hilton.

Mr.Nipples
08-26-2007, 12:48 PM
silicon chips...

Cpt. Funkaho
08-26-2007, 12:53 PM
Any non-documentary movie with "Alaska" in the title.

I'll be interested to see how "Into The Wild" comes out, though, as it may well be the first Alaska-centered movie to actually be filmed here (most are filmed in British Columbia, as it's cheaper than coming all the way here).

DeltaSigChi4
08-26-2007, 01:38 PM
^^ Should have named him Laika, imo.

E

Cpt. Funkaho
08-26-2007, 01:58 PM
Delta, you're a member of the "Alex from Neighborhood #2=Chris McCandless" minority?

DeltaSigChi4
08-26-2007, 02:01 PM
The truth cannot be denied. It's as obvious as the light of day.

E

woogie846
08-26-2007, 02:20 PM
Any non-documentary movie with "Alaska" in the title.

I'll be interested to see how "Into The Wild" comes out, though, as it may well be the first Alaska-centered movie to actually be filmed here (most are filmed in British Columbia, as it's cheaper than coming all the way here).

I was really dissapointed with Into the Wild. I thought it would be cool, because I thought it was about him surviving in the wilderness. As in, "Dear journal, I almost was killed today by a boulder, but dove out of the way and then I shot a moose and I ate it with my bare hands. It turns out to be, "Oh, Chris McCandless? Yeah, I worked with him at McDonalds. It was weird, he hated socks."

Best quote from my friend about Into the Wild, proving just how dumb he is: "Why would anyone write a fictious book about something so boring?"

Cpt. Funkaho
08-26-2007, 02:35 PM
I was really dissapointed with Into the Wild. I thought it would be cool, because I thought it was about him surviving in the wilderness. As in, "Dear journal, I almost was killed today by a boulder, but dove out of the way and then I shot a moose and I ate it with my bare hands. It turns out to be, "Oh, Chris McCandless? Yeah, I worked with him at McDonalds. It was weird, he hated socks."

Best quote from my friend about Into the Wild, proving just how dumb he is: "Why would anyone write a fictious book about something so boring?"

The reason the book wasn't more intense in the sense of Chris McCandless being a badass was that he wasn't one... just a suburban kid who made several dumb life choices and got in way over his head. I'm sure many of us can relate, though most of us didn't make mistakes big enough that we starve to death needlessly due to our lack of preparedness.

I thought that the worst part of the book, which will also be the worst part of the movie, was the glorification of McCandless as some kind of modern Thoreau, when really all he was was an ordinary misanthropic guy who decided to go off and die in an interesting way by virtue of incompetence. I can only hope that people see his character for what it is.

DeltaSigChi4
08-26-2007, 03:46 PM
It's bullshit to shit on Alexander Supertramp's memory. He did what he wanted, and that is more than I can say for most people. Fuck you.

E

DeltaSigChi4
08-26-2007, 03:48 PM
The police disco lights
Now the neighbors can dance!
The police disco lights
Now the neighbors can dance!

Alex set out for a great adventure and died. Now you fucks can dance. Go ahead and dance. :mad:

E

Cpt. Funkaho
08-26-2007, 05:24 PM
It's bullshit to shit on Alexander Supertramp's memory. He did what he wanted, and that is more than I can say for most people. Fuck you.

E

Delta, have I struck a soft spot? Does your fondness for the Arcade Fire make you defensive of the perceived subjects of their songs?

In any case, I didn't mean to shit on your heroes or anything, so sorry about that.

That said, I don't consider what I said about Chris McCandless to be "shitting on his memory"... I think he was a good kid who chose the absolute wrong place to try to measure up to his surroundings.

Also, I don't think that strictly speaking, he did do what he wanted, unless that included starving to death in a place he knew very little about.

summerkid
08-26-2007, 05:38 PM

E

Don't think he planned on dying.

gaypalmsprings
08-26-2007, 05:44 PM
According to Wikipedia...

When you consider McCandless from my perspective, you quickly see that what he did wasn’t even particularly daring, just stupid, tragic, and inconsiderate. First off, he spent very little time learning how to actually live in the wild. He arrived at the Stampede Trail without even a map of the area. If he had a good map he could have walked out of his predicament ... Essentially, Chris McCandless committed suicide

PassiveTheory
08-26-2007, 05:45 PM
Was that the bear guy who got eaten by a grizzly bear?

EDIT: Nevermind.

gaypalmsprings
08-26-2007, 05:47 PM
This is the bear guy

http://www.mr-bear-france.com/imgs/logo_mr_bear_pt.gif

summerkid
08-26-2007, 05:48 PM

When you consider McCandless from my perspective, you quickly see that what he did wasn’t even particularly daring, just stupid, tragic, and inconsiderate. First off, he spent very little time learning how to actually live in the wild. He arrived at the Stampede Trail without even a map of the area. If he had a good map he could have walked out of his predicament ... Essentially, Chris McCandless committed suicide

Pretty much agree with that assessment except I don't think he planned on killing himself.

nothingman00
08-26-2007, 05:51 PM
Delta, have I struck a soft spot? Does your fondness for the Arcade Fire make you defensive of the perceived subjects of their songs?

In any case, I didn't mean to shit on your heroes or anything, so sorry about that.

That said, I don't consider what I said about Chris McCandless to be "shitting on his memory"... I think he was a good kid who chose the absolute wrong place to try to measure up to his surroundings.

Also, I don't think that strictly speaking, he did do what he wanted, unless that included starving to death in a place he knew very little about.

I actually agree with both points of view (surprisingly agree with Delta Sig):
Anyway, from what I remember of reading the book [SPOILER], I did envy McCandless for being able to shed everything, flee society and ATTEMPT to live off the land. Coming up with the Alexander Supertramp alter-ego was a little bit melodramatic and overdone. And yeah, if you're going to live in Alaskan wilderness, then prepare. But I think what was interesting in the book (and I'm not sure how the movie will deal with this), but I found it extremely unfortunate and often ironic that had he made one right choice out of about 15, he would have been ok. I mean, that was what was so tragic to me... The guy literally had about 10-12 life altering decisions to make (once stuck in the wilderness) and he made the wrong choice every single time, right down to eating the wrong type of potato or mushroom (or whatever he was eating)... I liked the book much more than "Into thin Air" but not from an action standpoint. I just liked the tragic figure of Chris McCandless, though I found parts of his projected personality to be slightly contrived.

MissingPerson
08-26-2007, 05:57 PM
Isn't the question of tragedy vs. heroism the guts of Laika anyway?

brando4n82
08-26-2007, 06:00 PM
Bad driver's, illegal immigrants, spoiled middle eastern kids, and Paris Hilton.

I fucking hate illegal immigrants. michael bolton's pretty gay too

Cpt. Funkaho
08-26-2007, 06:03 PM
Isn't the question of tragedy vs. heroism the guts of Laika anyway?

Something about the way you phrased that really reminded me of the SomethingAwful summary of R. Kelly's "Trapped In The Closet" (http://www.somethingawful.com/d/your-band-sucks/thorpes-notes-kellys.php) I read earlier today.

summerkid
08-26-2007, 06:05 PM
though I found parts of his projected personality to be slightly contrived.

oh very much so.

PineapplePete
08-26-2007, 06:35 PM
terrorists

MissingPerson
08-26-2007, 07:11 PM
Something about the way you phrased that really reminded me of the SomethingAwful summary of R. Kelly's "Trapped In The Closet" (http://www.somethingawful.com/d/your-band-sucks/thorpes-notes-kellys.php) I read earlier today.

:rotfl

.... Anyway, what I mean is, I don't think McCandless is necessarily portrayed in a wholly heroic light in the song. Win Butler talks about Laika as a victim; sent into space with no way home and then just left to die.

malcolmjamalawesome
08-26-2007, 07:15 PM
Nelly. Oh, no, wait. He very much represents it.

ThomThom
08-26-2007, 07:28 PM
Wasn't the actual cause of death still left up in the air? I know in his writings he blamed a seed that was later found to be an eskimo potato seed or something like that, but they sent all of those seeds to the labs and nothing poisonous was ever found...great book in my opinion, as for the movie, I don't know, Sean Penn did it for crying out loud.

atom heart
08-26-2007, 07:34 PM
By reading this thread I realized that I have been almost completely mishearing Neighborhood #2 for the past few years. I'm not sure I like it anymore.

psychic friend
08-26-2007, 07:35 PM
mature high class people

MissingPerson
08-26-2007, 07:51 PM
By reading this thread I realized that I have been almost completely mishearing Neighborhood #2 for the past few years. I'm not sure I like it anymore.

To be fair, the idea that it's about Christopher McCandless only seems obvious in retrospect. I think it's relatively recent idea that caught like wildfire. I'd never heard of the guy prior to the song, and I don't think the band have ever suggested it's about anything other than the very unpleasant death of a dog. I could be wrong though.

Anyway, everybody mishears Laika. :D

Alchemy
08-26-2007, 07:54 PM
Carlos Mencia

ThomThom
08-26-2007, 07:55 PM
Carlos Mencia

He licks so much ass

brando4n82
08-26-2007, 08:16 PM
Carlos Mencia

WORD!

have you guys seen the video where Joe Rogan calls him out about stealing material and how he's onyl half mexican and that his name isnt even Carlos Mencia, it's Ned Arnel. Joe Rogan kicks Ass

DeltaSigChi4
08-26-2007, 08:59 PM
I don't consider what I said about Chris McCandless to be "shitting on his memory"...

Sounds like it to me. Still does with your subsequent posts on the subject. Who are you to judge what Alex did or didn't do? If he had died after abandoning his car/burying his money between the AZ-NV desert, I'm sure you would be [proverbially] dancing to the police disco lights to that fact as well. Let's be real -- you're happy that he died because it shows how right people like you are for planning/preparing for everything. He was a fool, and you are a genius. I stand by my previous angry words.

E

DeltaSigChi4
08-26-2007, 09:01 PM
Don't think he planned on dying.

Surely millions of people don't plan on living entire lives and not enjoying much of it. Or being losers with nothing to show for their lives. He didn't plan anything douchebag, isn't that the focal point of critics/those that jeer his life?

E

DeltaSigChi4
08-26-2007, 09:02 PM

Yes, I can go edit a Wikipedia entry to state that Jennifer Lopez is really a man. What the fuck does that prove? Oh yeah, that I wipe my ass with your 'according to wikipedia...'

Idiot.

E

Cpt. Funkaho
08-26-2007, 11:55 PM
mature high class people

PF, I've never read anything truer or more succinct on this board.

clarky123
08-27-2007, 12:00 AM
I know, look up my name in Wikipedia and bodge the rhetoric, simply state "committed suicide by throwing itself of a bridge on 1st September" and I'll then make the preliminary funeral enquiries then go do it!

clarky123
08-27-2007, 12:02 AM
PF, I've never read anything truer or more succinct on this board.

I think PF knew how I was originally going to start this thread.

summerkid
08-27-2007, 01:08 AM
Surely millions of people don't plan on living entire lives and not enjoying much of it. Or being losers with nothing to show for their lives. He didn't plan anything douchebag, isn't that the focal point of critics/those that jeer his life?

E

you obviously connected with the character so i'm just going to let this be.

marooko
08-27-2007, 06:42 AM
meth. oh wait, it does. just not me.

TomAz
08-27-2007, 08:05 AM
Yes, I can go edit a Wikipedia entry to state that Jennifer Lopez is really a man. What the fuck does that prove? Oh yeah, that I wipe my ass with your 'according to wikipedia...'

Idiot.

E

this explains why you have such crackpot ideas.

Studies have shown Wikipedia to be generally reliable. Your relucatance to accept it (or anything else) as a trustworthy source of factual information I think indicates not skepticism on your part, but rather just plain dislike for facts. You've never been one to let the facts get in the way of your opinions.

You will be unable to refute this post; instead you'll make some snide derogatory remark in an attempt to be clever but that will, in fact, make no one laugh. At least not in the way you intend.

You like to call people idiots, as if somehow that makes you look smarter. It doesn't.

How's your father?

Hannahrain
08-27-2007, 08:10 AM
Studies have shown Wikipedia to be generally reliable.

Did you confirm this on Wikipedia?

Dey know everthin over ther.

J~$$$
08-27-2007, 08:12 AM
Wikipedia.

Im down with OED.

gaypalmsprings
08-27-2007, 08:12 AM
Did you confirm this on Wikipedia?

Dey know everthin over ther.

According to Wikipedia:

Due to Wikipedia's open nature, critics have questioned its reliability and accuracy.[5] The site has been criticized for its susceptibility to vandalism and the addition of false or unverified information,[6] uneven quality, systemic bias and inconsistencies,[7] and for favoring consensus over credentials in its editorial process.[8] Wikipedia's content policies[9] and sub-projects set up by contributors seek to address these concerns.[10] Two scholarly studies have concluded that vandalism is generally short-lived[11] and that Wikipedia is generally as accurate as other encyclopedias.[12]

J~$$$
08-27-2007, 08:13 AM
I vandalize wiki. [43]

Hannahrain
08-27-2007, 08:16 AM
Oh goddamnit. I was just typing out something with that same [17] joke in it. You've won the [94] battle, J-$$$, but you have NOT [2] won the war.

J~$$$
08-27-2007, 08:18 AM
hi fives [5]

Hannahrain
08-27-2007, 08:21 AM
Caco [63] told me you were mad [100] at me for making fun of you for not having any legs [0], and to not talk to you anymore [?@$#!]. I have a feeling alcohol was involved [1,000,000].

J~$$$
08-27-2007, 08:23 AM
no im still mad.....my legs is where I kept all the funny [lol<3].

TomAz
08-27-2007, 09:00 AM
footnotes should be numbered sequentially.

DeltaSigChi4
08-27-2007, 04:56 PM
You're a complete fucking imbecile Tom. Surely a person who voted for and supports the Bush administration. How in the unholy goddamn motherfuck fuck can the following be "generally reliable":

When you consider McCandless from my perspective, you quickly see that what he did wasn’t even particularly daring, just stupid, tragic, and inconsiderate.

The above came from an individual who used Wikipedia.org to write their very own editorial on a person they never even met. You're about as stupid as a person as the person who took the time to edit that into the article.

Oh, and ....

Larry Sanger, who helped to found Wikipedia in 2001, said that the site was “broken beyond repair” and no longer reliable.

Wikipedia is among the top ten most visited sites on the internet, containing more than six million articles contributed only by members of the public. But it has been criticised for being riddled with inaccuracies and nonsense.

Last month it was revealed that a prominent and long-standing Wikipedia contributor had lied about his identity, having claimed to be a tenured university professor, when he was in fact a 24-year-old college drop-out.

SOURCE: http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article1637535.ece

E

J~$$$
08-27-2007, 05:03 PM
Everyone is out to get you Delta.

miscorrections
08-27-2007, 05:06 PM
even the arcade fire.

DeltaSigChi4
08-27-2007, 05:07 PM
Régine is my homegirl.

E

deuxmio
08-27-2007, 05:34 PM
White people.

C DUB YA
08-28-2007, 07:11 AM
Cows

clarky123
08-28-2007, 07:29 AM
All opinions no matter how obscure are being noted for later, presumably you do not live on a farm!