PDA

View Full Version : Decemberists - New "Long and Short of it" Tour

pewter14
08-23-2007, 12:56 PM
The Decemberists | News 08.23.07

* "The Long and Short of It" US Tour 2007 is announced!

Fast on the heels of the upcoming European fall tour, newly dubbed "The Bride of Crane Wife" Tour, we here at Decemberists HQ are virtually falling over ourselves to announce to you, dear Mailing List Recipient, a very special US national tour. We've called it "The Long and Short of It" Tour. "Why the name?" you well may ask, considering that every Decemberist tour name has been a product of weeks and weeks of R & D (that's industry-speak for "Research and Dilly-dallying") and in-depth interviews with our prime demographic. And you may certainly ask, for we here at Decemberists HQ are primed and ready to explain to you what the deal is.

We're embarking on a national US tour in which we'll be performing at least 2 nights in every city (we beg forgiveness in advance if your city-of-call is not listed below, but if we kept this up everywhere, the tour would stretch on to eternity. Eternity!). But here's the rub: both nights will feature two totally different setlists. The first night, "The Long of It", will find us performing every song from our humble repertoire that is longer than 8 minutes; the following night, "The Short of It", will find us playing a setlist entirely built of those more sprightly numbers whose adherence to brevity keeps them on the more radio-friendly side of that selfsame 8 minute mark.

Why are we doing this? Easy: we're planning on slipping away from the glare of the public spotlight for a spell so as we can make more songs and more records and things by which you might be further entertained in the future, and we wanted to make this last-tour-for-a-bit kind of special. Plus, we've discovered that once you take a hankering to writing really long songs, which are certainly fun in their own right, it leaves precious little room on the setlist for those neglected songs being cat-called from the back of the theater.

General ticket on-sale begins September 7th. Without further ado, here's the dates:

10/28 Chicago, IL Vic Theater ("Long of It")
10/29 Chicago, IL Vic Theater ("Short of It")
11/1 New York, NY Terminal 5 ("Long of It")
11/2 New York, NY Terminal 5 ("Short of It")
11/3 Boston, MA Orpheum ("Long of It")
11/4 Boston, MA Orpheum ("Short of It")
11/6 Winston-Salem, NC Millennium Center ("Long of It")
11/7 Winston-Salem, NC Millennium Center ("Short of It")
11/9 Washington, DC 9:30 Club ("Long of It")
11/10 Washington, DC 9:30 Club ("Short of It")
11/11 Washington, DC 9:30 Club ("Long of It")
11/12 Washington, DC 9:30 Club ("Short of It")
11/15 Columbus, OH Lifestyle Communities Pavilion ("Long of It")
11/16 Columbus, OH Lifestyle Communities Pavilion ("Short of It")
11/18 Milwaukee, WI Riverside Theater ("Long of It")
11/19 Milwaukee, WI Riverside Theater ("Short of It")
11/23 San Francisco, CA The Fillmore ("Long of It")
11/24 San Francisco, CA The Fillmore ("Short of It")
11/25 San Francisco, CA The Fillmore ("Long of It")
11/26 San Francisco, CA The Fillmore ("Short of It")
11/29 Los Angeles, CA The Wiltern ("Long of It")
11/30 Los Angeles, CA The Wiltern ("Short of It")
12/1 San Diego, CA Spreckels Theatre ("Long of It")
12/2 San Diego, CA Spreckels Theatre ("Short of It")
12/5 Portland, OR Crystal Ballroom ("Long of It")
12/6 Portland, OR Crystal Ballroom ("Short of It")
12/7 Portland, OR Crystal Ballroom
12/8 Seattle, WA Moore Theatre ("Long of It")
12/9 Seattle, WA Moore Theatre ("Short of It")

DeltaSigChi4
08-23-2007, 01:00 PM
I don't get it.

E

Hannahrain
08-23-2007, 01:02 PM
The first night, "The Long of It", will find us performing every song from our humble repertoire that is longer than 8 minutes; the following night, "The Short of It", will find us playing a setlist entirely built of those more sprightly numbers whose adherence to brevity keeps them on the more radio-friendly side of that selfsame 8 minute mark.

Sometimes the way they talk makes me forget why I like their music.

pewter14
08-23-2007, 01:15 PM
Sometimes the way they talk makes me forget why I like their music.

The proofers were off the mark with this ...

"Without further ado, here's the dates: "

Here is the dates?

anyway ... thought I'd share for those that like the band ...

miscorrections
08-23-2007, 01:36 PM
I just got this email today and I kind of want to go to both shows.

Hannahrain
08-23-2007, 01:39 PM
I do too. But not if they're going to talk. With words and stuff.

If I were to only go to one, it'd be a long show. But I probably won't go at all. They're playing in Portland (obviously, they live there) but not here.

tessalasset
08-23-2007, 01:39 PM
Me too.

pewter14
08-23-2007, 01:42 PM
I'm excited to go to both shows ... and so excited they'll be at the Fillmore rather then the Warfield ... (thus, why they have 2 "sets" of San Fran dates) ....

ThomThom
08-23-2007, 01:51 PM
I definitely want to go to a long show, but I know the short show will be a shit load of fun...hmmmm

Trick Loves The Kids
08-23-2007, 01:58 PM
fuck that band

wu tang for life

ThomThom
08-23-2007, 02:01 PM
http://messages.yahoo.com/Music/Genres/Rap_and_Hip-Hop/Artists/forumview?bn=8802921

Here you go fuckface, a Wu Tang messageboard just for you...Have a nice day!

DeltaSigChi4
08-23-2007, 02:02 PM
What about a Radiohead board?

E

ThomThom
08-23-2007, 02:08 PM
Delta did I go to a thread clearly dedicated to The Decemberists new fall tour saying "fuck them, Radiohead rules!"? No, I don't think I did...You have a nice day too.

Hannahrain
08-23-2007, 02:09 PM
Sasha, 25, University of Wisconsin Online.

(Right?)

ThomThom
08-23-2007, 02:10 PM
24, University of Phoenix online...You were close Hannah, why do you ask?

Hannahrain
08-23-2007, 02:11 PM
Once you were sad that I couldn't remember things about you.

ThomThom
08-23-2007, 02:11 PM
Your good, your damn good.

Hannahrain
08-23-2007, 02:12 PM
Mine? Really?

suprefan
08-23-2007, 02:15 PM
I don't get it.

E

Is this you best Pineapple Pete impression?

DeltaSigChi4
08-23-2007, 02:24 PM
I'm pretty sure that the Wu-tang fan was just kidding.

As was I in regards to Radiohead.

Maybe you should go enjoy an otterpop and chill for a minute or something. You're getting too stressed over nothing.

Jest. It was all jest.

E

rhcpdude13
08-23-2007, 02:25 PM
so how much are tickets?

DeltaSigChi4
08-23-2007, 02:25 PM
And I really don't get their gimmick in regards to short tracks shows and long track shows. I wasn't kidding in regards to that. I just don't get it. But maybe that's because I own an album or two and have never bothered to unseal them. *shrugs

E

ThomThom
08-23-2007, 02:37 PM
Delta,

The "long of it" shows will contain a setlist made up of some of their longer more "epic" tracks like "The Tain", "The Island", and "Mariner's Revenge Song". Their "short of it" shows will have a setlist made up of their less lengthier pop tracks such as "A Perfect Crime" & "Valencia". I believe they are doing this because they typically have two sets of fans that prefer one string of songs to the other, however they also have some fans that love their entire catalog in general, those people have the unfortunate option of spending more money on two shows rather then one.

EDIT: I have had my otter pops, consider me chilled the fuck out...

Sexecutioner
08-23-2007, 03:13 PM
I do too. But not if they're going to talk. With words and stuff.

If I were to only go to one, it'd be a long show. But I probably won't go at all. They're playing in Portland (obviously, they live there) but not here.

i thought you were a big decemberists fan...doesnt sound like it. how far are you from portland?

Hannahrain
08-23-2007, 03:20 PM
I like them a lot, but I like them despite their gimmick, not because of it. It grates sometimes. I'm two hours from Portland, but I don't drive, and neither does anyone that I'd want to go out of town with. Plus, I've seen them before, and I've seen Meloy solo before. And, barring a freak accident, they're doing a show at an event where I'll be next year.

Trick Loves The Kids
08-23-2007, 03:38 PM
I'm pretty sure that the Wu-tang fan was just kidding.

E

naw dude they played right before Ghostface at Coachella this year. I get there 10 minutes before their set ends high as ballz to get a good spot for ghost and the main dude goes "Okay everyone act like you're getting eaten by a whale!" it was fucking stupid as hell i threw up the W and yelled wu tang at that bitch.

ThomThom
08-23-2007, 03:43 PM
This is exactly why Coachella fucked up when NOT placing The Decemberists ahead of Arcade Fire rather than Shits of Leon.

summerkid
08-23-2007, 04:21 PM
This is exactly why Coachella fucked up when NOT placing The Decemberists ahead of Arcade Fire rather than Shits of Leon.

Haha yeah, I didn't really understand that one. I don't particularly like the Decemberists but seeing them at Spreckles would be pretty cool so i might consider it.

ThomThom
08-23-2007, 04:22 PM
Haha yeah, I didn't really understand that one. I don't particularly like the Decemberists but seeing them at Spreckles would be pretty cool so i might consider it.

Why would you go see them if you don't like them?

suprefan
08-23-2007, 04:41 PM
I woudl do a fillmore set of shows, cause its so small. But odds are no.

so how much are tickets?

$1,000,000

probably like $30 or so.

You wouldve thought that Coachella wouldve been smart to stack all the indie kids in one spot instead of spreading em out. They shouldve put Kings on Outdoor and then all the W's wouldve been flying before em and they wouldve run scared.

pewter14
08-23-2007, 04:59 PM
naw dude they played right before Ghostface at Coachella this year. I get there 10 minutes before their set ends high as ballz to get a good spot for ghost and the main dude goes "Okay everyone act like you're getting eaten by a whale!" it was fucking stupid as hell i threw up the W and yelled wu tang at that bitch.

dear lord, it's herbert kornfeld from midstate office supply!

Watch out or Herbert K will cut you with his Letteropener of Death, yo. (http://www.midstateoffice.com/)

Sexecutioner
08-23-2007, 05:21 PM
I like them a lot, but I like them despite their gimmick, not because of it. It grates sometimes. I'm two hours from Portland, but I don't drive, and neither does anyone that I'd want to go out of town with. Plus, I've seen them before, and I've seen Meloy solo before. And, barring a freak accident, they're doing a show at an event where I'll be next year.

whats their gimmick? the whole intelligent thing? i was under the impression that it wasnt a gimmick, and thats just how that dude is...big vocab, really smart and creative, and a bit weird.

bballarl
08-23-2007, 05:34 PM
I enjoyed their Coachella performance, but the Wiltern is a turn off.

Hannahrain
08-23-2007, 05:36 PM
whats their gimmick? the whole intelligent thing?

See Colin.
See Colin cry.
See Colin cry in a pinstriped suit with ten-dollar words.

It's nothing really. It can just be hard to take the "We're dark, we sing about the seedy underbellies of things" thing after a while.

bballarl
08-23-2007, 05:39 PM
And the fact they look oh-so-delightfully-indie. I want to punch Colin Meloy right in his glasses when I see pictures of him. RIGHT IN HIS GLASSES.

Hannahrain
08-23-2007, 05:41 PM
It just all feels so intentional.

bballarl
08-23-2007, 05:57 PM
For the record, I wouldn't want to hurt him with the punch. Just damage his glasses. He seems nice enough.

DeltaSigChi4
08-23-2007, 08:29 PM
It's illegal to punch someone with glasses.

E

Sexecutioner
08-23-2007, 08:50 PM
It just all feels so intentional.

i guess i dont see it that way. it seems to me like thats just the artsy, nerdy, type of person he is, and it definitely shows. i dont think hes trying hard to be something that hes not. who knows though...but he does look like the biggest dork ever, lol.

tessalasset
08-23-2007, 11:27 PM
they've always been like that. i dunno, i've never felt like it's faked.

woogie846
08-24-2007, 01:07 AM
I enjoyed their Wiltern show last year, but I wish they would go to a different venue, just to mix it up a little. I'll probably be going to the Short one since it's on a Friday, but I hope they play more stuff from Picaresque and Castaways and Cutouts. They really haven't been doing much from those in a while. The only downside to going to the short one is it completely butchers the chances of them playing Mariner's Revenge Song.

tessalasset
08-24-2007, 07:39 AM
i'm leaning towards the short one. that's the stuff i've always liked. altho does that cut off crane wife then?

TomAz
08-24-2007, 07:50 AM
whats their gimmick? the whole intelligent thing? i was under the impression that it wasnt a gimmick, and thats just how that dude is...big vocab, really smart and creative, and a bit weird.

are you serious? the whole minstrels-to-the-royal-court schtick? you don't see it?

They make nice music. but I, myself, have to sort of ignore the whole gimmick thing. (In my mind the entire city of Portland Ore is like that. Affected coffee-swilling dweebs in glasses with artsy haircuts. I've never actually been there.)

edit: also, their Coachella set was probably the single most disappointing set I've seen in 3 coachellas. It was a monotonous pile of doggie doo.

pewter14
08-24-2007, 08:10 AM
I enjoyed their Wiltern show last year, but I wish they would go to a different venue, just to mix it up a little.

yeah, I'd probably pass if they were palying the Warfield again, I'd see a shitty band at the Fillmore just because that place is so awesome.

By the way, did anyone catch their opener, My Brightest Diamond? She/They were amazing! Should be an add to Coachella 2008

edit: also, their Coachella set was probably the single most disappointing set I've seen in 3 coachellas. It was a monotonous pile of doggie doo.

ok, that's a bit harsh, but, your opinion. They were good, but, admittedly, after seeing them in SFO days before, I wish I skipped their Coachella set for Kings of Leon.

ThomThom
08-24-2007, 08:19 AM
Pewter, take my word for it, Kings of Leon sucked major cow dung...

DeltaSigChi4
08-24-2007, 11:56 AM
Kings of Leon earned me a good spot for AF, so I couldn't care less.

E

ThomThom
08-24-2007, 12:01 PM
Kings of Leon earned me a good spot for AF, so I couldn't care less.

E

They earned me a great spot as well but they made my ears bleed, I was damn near brain dead by the time Arcade Fire came on

DeltaSigChi4
08-24-2007, 12:11 PM
Wear earplugs next time.

E

summerkid
08-24-2007, 12:36 PM
And the fact they look oh-so-delightfully-indie. I want to punch Colin Meloy right in his glasses when I see pictures of him. RIGHT IN HIS GLASSES.

http://dcartnews.blogspot.com/uploaded_images/Jack-as-the-Joker-791427.jpg

Hey, you wouldn't hit a guy with glasses on would you? Huh?

full on idle
08-24-2007, 06:10 PM
I'm down for the short songs. Plus woo Laura Veirs. She'll have to come on with them when they play that one song she's on on Crane Wife. I didn't watch them at Coachella but Decemberists in Columbus were my second best concert in 2006. The Crane Wife is so good.

bmack86
08-24-2007, 06:20 PM
I wanna go to both. Long songs will rule to see the Tain. I'd love to see them do that whole Suite. Plus, the Island, again. And, the Crane Wife.

tessalasset
08-25-2007, 12:14 AM
I didn't watch them at Coachella but Decemberists in Columbus were my second best concert in 2006. The Crane Wife is so good.
was that with an orchestra?

i just had to look that song up on youtube this morning for our bowl show. i can't believe how fucking magical they sound with an orchestra. does anyone have an audio bootleg of the bowl?

exern
08-25-2007, 08:17 AM
I just bought my 2-day pass for the Wiltern.

Sexecutioner
08-25-2007, 08:18 AM
hell yea, center orchestra seats for spreckels, bitches!

this should be sweet!

does anyone have an audio bootleg of the bowl?

its on dime a dozen, but i havent downloaded it yet. i downloaded it from some other site a while back though, so not sure if its the same source or not. the one i have is decent, but nothing special...

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=155316

ThomThom
08-25-2007, 08:37 AM
Seeing them at The Fillmore on my birthday, should be fucking lovely...what a steal on the Spreckles tickets sexecutioner, I was thinking about going there instead due to the greatness of that venue but decided against. Arcade Fire there back in April was fucking great.

Sexecutioner
08-25-2007, 01:04 PM
Seeing them at The Fillmore on my birthday, should be fucking lovely...what a steal on the Spreckles tickets sexecutioner, I was thinking about going there instead due to the greatness of that venue but decided against. Arcade Fire there back in April was fucking great.

yea, i went to that AF show too...but im torn on my opinion of that show. i mean, just cuz it was AF, and it was at spreckels made it great, but it also wasnt that great cuz of other things. they kept having feedback problems, and the crowd wasnt as into it as the band seemed to have been hoping for, which made the band seem not as into it as well. obviously it still kicked ass though, but not as much as the other times i saw them. im really looking forward to having these great seats for decemberists, although at that place, there isnt a bad seat in the house.

suprefan
08-26-2007, 04:50 PM
Larua Veirs is the opening act for the tour it appears.

bballarl
08-26-2007, 04:55 PM
Post #50. V-Dub scooped you SOOOOOO many days ago.

miscorrections
08-26-2007, 05:04 PM
i completely suck, i didn't buy tickets for spreckels immediately and they are all sold out.

suprefan
08-26-2007, 05:04 PM
I scanned too fast on every post then, weird. At least ''I get it"