PDA

View Full Version : Who should headline Coachella 2008? (let's try this again)

Pages : [1] 2

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-22-2007, 04:45 AM
Well? Yes I know I included 2 repeats but there is a demand for them so why not? Can you think of anyone else I should have added? You can multi choice on this one.

clarky123
08-22-2007, 04:58 AM
This is a bit limited, and I have read a whole Aphex Twin discussion on this board - Team, I like AT but I'm another who does not think he\this is popular enough to be last on.
Also, I will take bets of any reasonable size that the Smiths will not reunite - ever.
So, probably Beck or Radiohead.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-22-2007, 05:18 AM
This is a bit limited, and I have read a whole Aphex Twin discussion on this board - Team, I like AT but I'm another who does not think he\this is popular enough to be last on.
Also, I will take bets of any reasonable size that the Smiths will not reunite - ever.
So, probably Beck or Radiohead.

I saw your request on the other thread..I would LOVE Tom Waits to headline...

EDIT: Damnit I should have put Tom Waits on that list..

clarky123
08-22-2007, 05:23 AM
He played over here 2004 and the tix ended up on ebay for £££$$$.

http://www.drownedinsound.com/event/view/1149

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-22-2007, 05:29 AM
He played over here 2004 and the tix ended up on ebay for £££$$$.

http://www.drownedinsound.com/event/view/1149

Epic Setlist

2004-11-23 London, England, Carling Apollo Hammersmith

1. "Hoist That Rag" (with Sullivan Waits on congas)
2. "Make It Rain"
3. "Jockey Full Of Bourbon"
4. "Don't Go Into The Barn"
5. "The Sins Of My Father" (with part of gospel "Wade In The Water")
6. "Eyeball Kid" (Tom playing harmonium)
7. "Straight To The Top (Vegas / Rhumba Medley)"
8. "Alice"
9. "God's Away On Business" (harmonium)
10. "November" (harmonium)
11. "Fish and Bird" (harmonium, Marc Ribot on cornet)
12. "Baby Gonna Leave Me"
13. "Murder In The Red Barn"
14. "The Day After Tomorrow"
15. "Shake It" (with Sullivan on congas)

Encore:

1. "Trampled Rose"
2. "Invitation To The Blues" (Tom on piano)
3. "Johnsburg, Illinois" (piano)
4. "Come On Up To The House" (piano)
5. "The House Where Nobody Lives" (piano)

Clarky, did you attend this?

clarky123
08-22-2007, 05:38 AM
No, I'm afraid not, by the time I realised that gig was on it was sold out and the black market price was about £500 and believe it or not, I didn't have it handy. I hope he does play in some capacity next year.

gaypalmsprings
08-22-2007, 06:35 AM
I voted for all the groups. I love the option of choosing more than one. My real vote would be for a reunion of Donnie & Marie, Men Without Hats, or Right Said Fred, or perhaps a reunion of James Taylor with his hair.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-22-2007, 07:02 AM
No, I'm afraid not, by the time I realised that gig was on it was sold out and the black market price was about £500 and believe it or not, I didn't have it handy. I hope he does play in some capacity next year.

the closes thing to live I have seen of his is a performance on Conan O Brien back in May. Even on the tv screen the performance was incredible.

psychic friend
08-22-2007, 10:19 AM
“I'd rather eat my own testicles than re-form The Smiths, and that’s saying something for a vegetarian.” -Morrissey

Bud Luster
08-22-2007, 10:22 AM
“I'd rather eat my own testicles than re-form The Smiths, and that’s saying something for a vegetarian.” -Morrissey

Wow, Morrisey might actually be cool. Who knew?

DeltaSigChi4
08-22-2007, 10:31 AM

He doesn't have to re-form them, love.

Merely play one set with them.

E

taxidermia
08-22-2007, 10:42 AM
next years coachella:

friday:
radiohead
moby
the mars volta

sahara tent:
portishead

saturday:
aphex twin
blur
kasabian

sahara:
crystal method

sunday:
ac dc
velvet revolver
bassement jaxx

sahara:
benassi

gaypalmsprings
08-22-2007, 10:55 AM
I saw Morrissey at a taping of Jimmy Kimmel a while back - and he, too, is way gay. He looks great for his age!

DeltaSigChi4
08-22-2007, 10:59 AM
Did he rip off his shirt and twist his own nipples? He did that at the Palms.

E

Somewhat Damaged
08-22-2007, 11:00 AM
next years coachella:

friday:
radiohead
moby
incubus

sahara tent:
portishead

saturday:
aphex twin
blur
kasabian

sahara:
crystal method

sunday:
ac dc
velvet revolver
bassement jaxx

sahara:
benassi

noob!

brando4n82
08-22-2007, 11:01 AM
AC/DC SUCKS

rage patton
08-22-2007, 12:54 PM
Well, all of them would be cool, but I dont think all of them would be headliner worthy. I narrowed it down to the 5 I would like to see most...

SOAD, Talking Heads, David Bowie, Radiohead, Outkast.

And Tom Waits should have been on that list. Even though im not sure if he is headliner material.

ArcadeParade
08-22-2007, 01:52 PM
Bowie, Outkast, and Radiohead off that list. I would love that.

and atdi saturday afternoon

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-22-2007, 05:41 PM

he isn't serious that is just his English irony...

miscorrections
08-22-2007, 06:03 PM
you can tell it's not just a laugh by his diction. "bollocks" would have indicated a less serious statement.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-22-2007, 06:04 PM
you can tell it's not just a laugh by his diction. "bollocks" would have indicated a less serious statement.

clarky care to chime in on this one?

miscorrections
08-22-2007, 06:05 PM
oh for goodness sake, am i allowed to be facetious without calling in an englishman to analyze my words?

summerkid
08-22-2007, 06:05 PM
I want Prince damn it.

Somewhat Damaged
08-22-2007, 06:21 PM
oh for goodness sake, am i allowed to be facetious without calling in an englishman to analyze my words?

No, you aren't. :sorry

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-22-2007, 06:25 PM

dude sorry I was just trying to be funny :) I didn't mean anything against you.

i_like_cake530
08-22-2007, 08:53 PM
Isn't SOAD on a "break?"

xxxxxxxxxx
08-22-2007, 09:19 PM
R.E.M.
Portishead
Tom Waits

The White Stripes
ZZ Top (seriously)
Queens of The Stone Age

David Bowie
My Bloody Valentine

clarky123
08-23-2007, 01:39 AM
clarky care to chime in on this one?

I don't actually think he is noted for making funny little quips.

clarky123
08-23-2007, 02:07 AM

Scottish actually but I'll let it go.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-23-2007, 03:53 AM
Isn't SOAD on a "break?"

on Hiatus is the proper term.....

Rap/rock Is Life
08-23-2007, 01:01 PM
ICP, Nickelback, Metallica

crazzz2007
08-23-2007, 01:36 PM
ICP, Nickelback, Metallica

dude, you're just not funny anymore, and you haven't been for a long time. you need a new gimmick.

Trick Loves The Kids
08-23-2007, 04:01 PM
"Bombs Over Baghdad" on the mainstage would be a world smashing experience

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-23-2007, 05:38 PM
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/45102-morrissey-turns-down-75-million-for-smiths-reunion

Morrissey Turns Down $75 Million for Smiths Reunion
Celibacy, vow of poverty...yep, he's becoming a priest

Photo by Paparazzi by Appointment

Morrissey money shocker! According to a new press release about Morrissey's previously reported fall U.S. tour, "In an effort to stop the speculation and kill off the rumor mongers who seem to use these things to take advantage of committed fans, we can tell you that one thing the future will not bring is a Smiths' reunion tour."

Turns out Moz was approached with an offer of $75 million smackers, payable upon completion of at least 50 worldwide shows provided Johnny Marr was in the band (no love for Andy and Mike?). Morrissey-- who'd like it to be known once and for all that it's not about the music but, rather, about the hurting-- turned them down. Morrissey previously bragged about how Coachella offered the Smiths $5 million to reunite, but that, it appears, was small potatoes.

In a related story, Modest Mouse doesn't have $75 million dollars either. Sorry, Johnny!

On two of this tour's lengthy runs, a pair of special offers has been made to Moz megafreaks. Starting August 27, fans will have a chance to buy tickets to all ten of the L.A. shows for the price of nine, or all five New York shows at a savings of $125. Those who pony up for the deals will get special commemorative (magic?) tickets that allow them into the general admission shows before everyone else. New York fans get a poster, but L.A. attendees get to see Morrissey ten times, so neener neeners.

Nestled in the same press release was this nugget of uncertainty: "these shows will be the last Morrissey will do for the foreseeable future." Indeed, that's a quip in line with the kind of dramatic overstatement we've come to know and love from Moz, but is he for real? Could these be the last Morrissey shows... evah?

guess no Coachella EVER....

Somewhat Damaged
08-23-2007, 06:32 PM
Anyone who would pay to see any performing artist 10 times (even at the low, low price of 9 shows) in a 2 week period is kinda stupid in my opinion. I know it's different strokes for different folks and all that, but even if money isn't an issue, how fucking different is each show going to be? Are people that easily entertained? If I really like a movie, I can watch it about 2-3 times in one year and that's it. I can't watch it again for several years afterward. (Eternal Sunshine being the sole exception, and even that I've refused to watch on numerous occasions this year.) And though a live performance is obviously different from a movie, each performance to the next isn't going to be that different. Seeing the Arcade Fire on consecutive nights or Radiohead a few times in different cities over a few weeks -- that's more understandable. But paying what are bound to be exorbitant prices to see a singer at a residency (I'm sure he's not going to even 3 different venues in Los Angeles, but even if he is, my point still stands) 10 fucking times -- that's lunacy. That's like those idiots who buy each new VHS/Laser disc/DVD/Blu-Ray/whatever version of Star Wars. It just baffles me why anyone would invest that much money on one artist. Spread the love around! I'm seeing Daft Punk for the third time at Vegoose, but the difference there is that it'll be the third time in 18 months (not quite the same as 10 shows in 2 weeks) and only one of those performances were they the headlining act. Seeing them at Coachella and Vegoose means I get to see several other artists over that weekend, so while Daft Punk is the main reason I'm going, they're far from the only reason. (Don't think it was necessary to provide a defense against potential allegations of my hypocrisy, but I thought it best to be proactive.)

DeltaSigChi4
08-24-2007, 12:56 AM
Don't worry about it. I would if I resided in Los Angeles. And I would do it for AF even if it were in Zimbabwe [or Texas, which is even worse].

E

lpshinoda11
08-28-2007, 09:09 AM
1st Day:

My Bloody Valentine (gay)
No Doubt

2nd Day:

David Bowie
Portishead

3rd Day
Talking Heads (one show only)

RageAgainstRob
08-28-2007, 02:09 PM
if it was radiohead, the smiths and aphex, i think i would cream.

fatboy192
08-28-2007, 02:29 PM
i have just 4 words of you on this.. SYSTEM OF A DOWN

saxomophone
08-28-2007, 09:59 PM
David Bowie!

Ew to Bob Dylan. Really, just retire.

Also... Who seriously voted for System of a down?? C'mon!
http://volumeone.typepad.com/volume_one/images/willarnett.jpg

Figueroa_tool
08-29-2007, 09:44 AM
1st Night:
The Cure

2nd Night:
Nine Inch Nails

3rd night:
RADIOHEAD

Also, Battles
The Mars Volta
Hella
Chk Chk Chk
MATT AND KIM
YACHT
TOKYO DEATH MARCH
UNKLE
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS
DAFT PUNK
MODEST MOUSE
THE WHITE STRIPES
THE STROKES
MUSE
Kid Koala
Minus The Bear
ANIMAL COLLECTIVE
Ghostland Observatory
Handsome Furs
Sebastian!!
Rx bandits!

:)

amyzzz
08-30-2007, 11:01 AM
MBV
Portishead
Radiohead
The Smiths.

If I get ONE of those, I will be happy indeed.

Somewhat Damaged
08-30-2007, 06:11 PM
What if everyone's assumption that Radiohead will be the headliner from 2004 to repeat in '08 is wrong? The Cure moving their tour to the spring seems awfully convenient. And if Radiohead plays Coachella, isn't there a sort of freeze on when they can play southern California again on either side of the festival? I'm more of a Radiohead fan than a Cure fan, but just sayin'.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-31-2007, 03:56 AM
What if everyone's assumption that Radiohead will be the headliner from 2004 to repeat in '08 is wrong? The Cure moving their tour to the spring seems awfully convenient. And if Radiohead plays Coachella, isn't there a sort of freeze on when they can play southern California again on either side of the festival? I'm more of a Radiohead fan than a Cure fan, but just sayin'.

you do have a point on the Cure thing...just sayin'

Mr. Dylanja
08-31-2007, 12:23 PM
I'd like to see the Cure.

summerkid
08-31-2007, 07:38 PM

yeah, i really really don't see Radiohead playing this year just seems like too many things need to happen for them to play and it just seems like a long shot.

archimme
08-31-2007, 11:24 PM
I'm wondering how the hell they're gonna top RATM as this year's headliner with all those crazy fans, so my thoughts are that the first day, we'll see Radiohead, the day after it'll be David Bowie, and the festival will close out with No doubt reunion. I was gonna say REM will close out the fest, but I have a feeling that they'll hold out for Bonnaroo instead. My Bloody Valentine will take the "Pixies" award for the most anticipated reunion (expect a lot of old emo kids with their stupid haircuts and dead-skinny jeans), and everyone will be abuzz for the Portishead and the Avalanches first US showings in ages. Chances are that Coldplay will play too, since its about the time when they are supposed to have new album out. Likely performers are also M.I.A., Ghostland Observatory, Numero#, Operator Please, and Gnarls barkley. I would kill babies to see The Knife perform there, seriously, infants. So yeah, expect great things next year

PassiveTheory
08-31-2007, 11:32 PM
Like in the other thread, I'm going to go with No Doubt, Smashing Pumpkins and R.E.M. as the headliners with MBV, Portishead, et. all acting as subheadliners.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-01-2007, 07:03 AM
I'm wondering how the hell they're gonna top RATM as this year's headliner with all those crazy fans, so my thoughts are that the first day, we'll see Radiohead, the day after it'll be David Bowie, and the festival will close out with No doubt reunion. I was gonna say REM will close out the fest, but I have a feeling that they'll hold out for Bonnaroo instead. My Bloody Valentine will take the "Pixies" award for the most anticipated reunion (expect a lot of old emo kids with their stupid haircuts and dead-skinny jeans), and everyone will be abuzz for the Portishead and the Avalanches first US showings in ages. Chances are that Coldplay will play too, since its about the time when they are supposed to have new album out. Likely performers are also M.I.A., Ghostland Observatory, Numero#, Operator Please, and Gnarls barkley. I would kill babies to see The Knife perform there, seriously, infants. So yeah, expect great things next year

Everything here is entirely plausible...I could easily see Coldplay playing the sub headliner part to a David Bowie or Radiohead but I don't see David Bowie in the near future..at least not with all the buzz of Portishead, MBV and No Doubt.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-02-2007, 11:59 AM
Like in the other thread, I'm going to go with No Doubt, Smashing Pumpkins and R.E.M. as the headliners with MBV, Portishead, et. all acting as subheadliners.

Mark my words...Portishead will be listed as a headliner....

rage patton
09-03-2007, 02:34 PM
I will be seriously pissed if Smashing Pumpkins are a headliner. There is no way GV will book them as the "reunion" they are right now. Now if they can get a one off which includes Iha and D'Arcy... THEN I could see GV booking it. But no other way.

nelacj
09-03-2007, 03:13 PM
it would be great to have INCUBUS performing on Coachella 2008!!!!!! :D

Somewhat Damaged
09-04-2007, 10:57 AM
Considering that Smashing Pumpkins are headlining KFMA Day here in Tucson in just under 2 weeks, an event whose tickets initially went on sale for $20, I sort of doubt that they'll headline Coachella. Sure, they're doing bigger fests, too, like Bang in Miami, but that only strengthens the case against them headlining Coachella. And if they're not headlining, will Billy Corgan still want to play or will his ego keep him away?

PassiveTheory
09-04-2007, 11:11 AM
I will be seriously pissed if Smashing Pumpkins are a headliner. There is no way GV will book them as the "reunion" they are right now. Now if they can get a one off which includes Iha and D'Arcy... THEN I could see GV booking it. But no other way.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again; fuck D'arcy. The only thing that bitch ever contributed to the Pumpkins was the decision to cover "Never Let Me Down"...

James DID contribute more, but to say that the Pumpkins were truly a four-piece in the conventional sense is laughable... Real fucking laughable... Hence why I would accept (and want to see) the current incarnation of the Pumpkins perform live. Plus, Jimmy's a drumming machine, and yet he's overlooked ALL the fucking time.

Also, TCHY, I'll mark those words... When Portishead shows up as the main sub-headliner for one of the nights.

rage patton
09-04-2007, 12:00 PM
When the Pumpkins started they were a four piece. It eventualy became Billy's band later in thier career. That is why the band broke up.
Now that Billy has had a couple failed projects, he needed to be back in the Spotlight and make some more money. So he called his BFF Jimmy, and forgot to call a couple other.
Either way. Zeitgiest is a fuckin abortion. Ive had shit that sounds better than that album. Let the "Smashing Pumpkins" play as they are right now... just dont play a single fuckin song off Zeitgiest.

And Portishead wont be a headliner. But they would make for a GREAT sub-headliner. Hmmm... would they play before the headliner on the main stage? OR,play in the Sahara after the headliner? Like Daft Punk? I think Portishead in the sahara would be amazing.

PassiveTheory
09-04-2007, 11:29 PM
Rage... you listen to Portishead at all?... I mean that sincerely... Also, have you ever go IN the Sahara tent at all?...

The Sahara = dance music.
Portishead = downtempo acid jazz... sort of like Massive Attack but no hip-hop and one singer (and a bunch of other things, but I'm trying to make a simple comparison here, people)

Yeah, that would be a miserable mix. My hopes are that Portishead get the Tiesto spot for this year and play the mainstage AFTER the headliner (hence why I have them pegged for the night w/ No Doubt) because the moon, the night breeze, it all sets up a perfect setting for Beth Gibbons and co. to work their magic.

It eventually became Billy's band, Rage? Please, how many song writing credits do you see D'arcy's name on? Less than 10 songs, and if we're talking after Gish (which is, by far, the worst Pumpkins record, even Zeigeist is better) then most likely NONE. As for Billy's "BFF" Jimmy? Please... I don't think you remain BEST friends with the guy who kicked your ass sans-remorse out of the band at the height of the band's popularity (mind you, Jimmy warranted getting his ass kicked out) and you know what? I figure the Pumpkins have as valid a reason as RATM does to get back together, it's not like Zach de la Rocha was lighting the world aflame with his solo material (and please, don't repeat the spoonfed line of "we're here to deliver the knock out punch to the Bush administration" from Tom Morello, because that's definitely full of crap [and, worse, a good half-decade late]) besides, I never had the chance to see the Pumpkins live in their initial incarnation, so I would be grateful to see them headline (given that I'm missing their solo tour), and, on top of that, I feel that they would bring in a mass amount of people and be headline-status-worthy.

Boourns
09-04-2007, 11:52 PM
I doubt Goldenvoice wants Smashing Pumpkins to headline their festival months after everyone has already caught the reunion tour. They get first dibs at major reunions, not sloppy 82nds. Unless the ten bands they ask first all say no, of course.

PassiveTheory
09-05-2007, 12:17 AM
Hey Boourns, just how many festivals and headlining tour stops did the Chili Peppers make during the 06' concert season?

clarky123
09-05-2007, 04:16 AM
Right on sunshine.

el_ornelas
09-05-2007, 06:39 PM
yea, tom waits!

RotationSlimWang
09-05-2007, 08:09 PM
Why would Coachella book the worst reviewed reunion of 07 in 08? The Pumpkins fucking blew so hard I felt embarassed for them.

Boourns
09-06-2007, 01:16 PM
Hey Boourns, just how many festivals and headlining tour stops did the Chili Peppers make during the 06' concert season?

Because Radiohead, Bowie, Pearl Jam, My Bloody Valentine, etc etc all said no.

rage patton
09-06-2007, 02:46 PM
Rage... you listen to Portishead at all?... I mean that sincerely... Also, have you ever go IN the Sahara tent at all?...

The Sahara = dance music.
Portishead = downtempo acid jazz... sort of like Massive Attack but no hip-hop and one singer (and a bunch of other things, but I'm trying to make a simple comparison here, people)

Yeah, that would be a miserable mix. My hopes are that Portishead get the Tiesto spot for this year and play the mainstage AFTER the headliner (hence why I have them pegged for the night w/ No Doubt) because the moon, the night breeze, it all sets up a perfect setting for Beth Gibbons and co. to work their magic.

It eventually became Billy's band, Rage? Please, how many song writing credits do you see D'arcy's name on? Less than 10 songs, and if we're talking after Gish (which is, by far, the worst Pumpkins record, even Zeigeist is better) then most likely NONE. As for Billy's "BFF" Jimmy? Please... I don't think you remain BEST friends with the guy who kicked your ass sans-remorse out of the band at the height of the band's popularity (mind you, Jimmy warranted getting his ass kicked out) and you know what? I figure the Pumpkins have as valid a reason as RATM does to get back together, it's not like Zach de la Rocha was lighting the world aflame with his solo material (and please, don't repeat the spoonfed line of "we're here to deliver the knock out punch to the Bush administration" from Tom Morello, because that's definitely full of crap [and, worse, a good half-decade late]) besides, I never had the chance to see the Pumpkins live in their initial incarnation, so I would be grateful to see them headline (given that I'm missing their solo tour), and, on top of that, I feel that they would bring in a mass amount of people and be headline-status-worthy.

I actually just picked up my first Portishead CD the other day. I actually like it quite a lot. I still think they could be in the Sahara though. Even though it is really downtempo, and not that dancable at all. It still is electronic music. After finaly listening to them though... I understand why everyone wants them there! I dont really care where they play!

Ok fine. Fuck D'Arcy. He could have atleast called Melissa Auf De Muar. He didnt even bother contacting her. Now what about James Iha writing credits. I would rather go to a Smashing Pumpkins show without Billy, but with James Iha. I have never been a huge fan of Billy or his voice. What got me into the Smahsing Pumpkins was the music. And to be exact, the guitar. Without James Iha, the Pumpkins mean nothing to me. And dont be fooled, Billy and Jimmy are sure as hell BFFs. Wasnt Jimmy the drummer for that disaster known as Zwan? Also, I thought Jimmy did partial drumming duties on Billy's solo album. Was Jimmy also Billy's drummer for his tour in support of his solo album? Now, Jimmy is the only other original member of the Smashing Pumpkins? Common. Billy has just kept Jimmy around because he knows he can just push Jimmy around. And just to let you know, I am not sure I would have made the trip down to California to see Rage Against The Machine if ANY of them were missing.

PassiveTheory
09-06-2007, 08:33 PM
Because Radiohead, Bowie, Pearl Jam, My Bloody Valentine, etc etc all said no.

Hahahah, right, since, you know, last year there were talks of MBV reuniting... Right. That's laughable.

Also, Rage, just because it's electronic music doesn't mean it belongs in the Sahara...

cansei de ser sexme
09-06-2007, 10:35 PM
Hahahah, right, since, you know, last year there were talks of MBV reuniting... Right. That's laughable.

Also, Rage, just because it's electronic music doesn't mean it belongs in the Sahara...

HOT CHIP

nelacj
09-07-2007, 09:17 PM
INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!IN CUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCU BUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBU S!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS! INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!IN CUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!
INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!IN CUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCU BUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBU S!INCUBUS!
INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!IN CUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCU BUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!
INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!IN CUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCU BUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!
INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!IN CUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS!INCU BUS!INCUBUS!INCUBUS! :D

Boourns
09-08-2007, 12:56 AM

Bands get asked to reunite all the time...how stupid are you?

Actually, some San Fran paper claimed that Morrissey and My Bloody Valentine were going to play this year.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-08-2007, 05:44 AM
Paul Tollet has been trying to get MBV for years which is why all those MBV rumors always flying around every year. Let's hope we actually get them for 08.

orbit
09-08-2007, 09:11 PM
I hope Paul Tollet never meet Passive Theory.

RotationSlimWang
09-08-2007, 09:15 PM
Personally, I hope nobody ever meets Passive. But then again, I'm a people person, so...

PassiveTheory
09-09-2007, 01:03 AM
You'd probably wish it on Suprefan, but it's a little late for that.

MBV aside, there's still no evidence that Tollet went after all of those bands (especially Bowie, and Pearl Jam? I thought everyone on here fucking hated Pearl Jam [I wouldn't complain if they headlined, mind you]) before the Chili Peppers... Either way, the point I made hasn't been refuted, that the Pumpkins couldn't headline this year's festival.

I equate MBV with Kraftwerk (and by the same token, Portishead) in the sense that they are immensely popular groups amid the non-top 40-base of listeners, but by no means a headliner for festival like Coachella.

RotationSlimWang
09-09-2007, 01:45 AM
Fuck you, Passive. There's no fucking way the Pumpkins are going to headline, it's been thoroughly refuted. For one, they're the worst reviewed festival headliner this year. I mean they sucked, it was fucking humiliating. For two, Coachella doesn't really have a track record of picking up last year's festivals leftovers. You're out of your goddamn curly mind.

sonofhal
09-09-2007, 08:41 AM
and if we're talking after Gish (which is, by far, the worst Pumpkins record, even Zeigeist is better)

I couldn't disagree more. Zeitgeist is shite, Gish is a classic.

garrett222
09-09-2007, 09:12 AM
Coachella doesn't pick up last years headliners??? ---> Red Hot Chili Peppers headlined Lolla the previous year.

I'm listening to some itunes clips of MBV...Ugh..what am i missing??? Lame

Portishead should play the Massive Attack slot of '06, definitely not the sahara tent.

Siamese Dream is by far the classic record of the bunch.

2008 Headliners

Prince, David Bowie, White Stripes, The Cranberries (reunion), Radiohead, The Strokes, POSTAL SERVICE

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-09-2007, 10:02 AM
I couldn't disagree more. Zeitgeist is shite, Gish is a classic.

WORD!!!!

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-09-2007, 10:05 AM
Coachella doesn't pick up last years headliners??? ---> Red Hot Chili Peppers headlined Lolla the previous year.

I'm listening to some itunes clips of MBV...Ugh..what am i missing??? Lame

Portishead should play the Massive Attack slot of '06, definitely not the sahara tent.

Siamese Dream is by far the classic record of the bunch.

2008 Headliners

Prince, David Bowie, White Stripes, The Cranberries (reunion), Radiohead, The Strokes, POSTAL SERVICE

Please pick up Loveless and then come back and talk to us. 30 second clips don't do any justice to MBV. If you love Siamese Dream and the Cranberries then give MBV another chance since that album (well SP in general) and the Cranberries would have never existed without MBV. I say good day sir!!

garrett222
09-09-2007, 10:17 AM
Ok i listened to 'i only said' on myspace. unintelligible shoegazer music. Sounds like Asobi Seksu without the interesting chorus and hot female voice.

Dude, i want to like it, but you're not making it easy. It might be like when I first saw Vanilla Sky. I hated it, but now it's my all time personal favorite movie. Who knows.

Do you know what else is tough, the Gogol Bordello album. I love them live, but other than Wanderlust king and the first song on the album, nothing else is sticking. Anyone else get that vibe?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-09-2007, 10:24 AM
Ok i listened to 'i only said' on myspace. unintelligible shoegazer music. Sounds like Asobi Seksu without the interesting chorus and hot female voice.

Dude, i want to like it, but you're not making it easy. It might be like when I first saw Vanilla Sky. I hated it, but now it's my all time personal favorite movie. Who knows.

Do you know what else is tough, the Gogol Bordello album. I love them live, but other than Wanderlust king and the first song on the album, nothing else is sticking. Anyone else get that vibe?

There is some truth to Gogol. The recorded music is not so great but live is a entirely different story. While I don't dislike their records, I don't listen to them at that much. But please just pick up Loveless, give it a week, then come back. Honestly, at 1st it sounds quite odd but you grow to love them!
One of the greatest albums ever.

rage patton
09-09-2007, 10:32 AM
Personaly, I love Gogol Bordello's albums. I didnt have any before I saw them at Coachella. I had downloaded a few tracks, watched a couple videos and decided they were a must see. The day after I got back from Coachella, I bought Gypsy Punks. It still didnt stick right away, unlike thier live show. However, after a few listens, I thouroughly enjoy the entire album everytime I listen to it. All I can think of is thier live show when I listen to them... and I smile. Super Taranta was the same thing. I got it (two copies actually... dont ask) and after the first time I was like "This is good. Not as good as gypsy punks though. I wonder how the new songs will translate live?" After a few listens I am like "Damn! This a good album! But I still wonder how it will translate live..." Then I saw them just over a week ago, and the new stuff sounds great live! Even the slower songs on the album, Like Tribal Connection and Alcohol. My favorite song of Super Taranta is My Strange Uncles From Abroad. If you havent listened to that one, stick in the CD and listen to it! They didnt play it at the last show I went to though. The only song I cant get into, is Zina-Marina. My girlfriend loves that song... but there is just something about that song that bugs me. Other than that, I love their recorded music. Just give it a few more listens.
And TeamCoachella... was the show where you saw Gogol Bordello at the Red Rocks, the one where they were opening up for Manu Chao?

PassiveTheory
09-09-2007, 11:30 AM
Fuck you, Passive. There's no fucking way the Pumpkins are going to headline, it's been thoroughly refuted. For one, they're the worst reviewed festival headliner this year. I mean they sucked, it was fucking humiliating. For two, Coachella doesn't really have a track record of picking up last year's festivals leftovers. You're out of your goddamn curly mind.

*yawn* Again, they picked up the Chili Peppers last year, enough said. And I don't really give a shit how greatly or poorly reviewed they've been on the festival circuit, there's still enough buzz about the band reuniting mainstream-wise for it to be a possibility. Still, it's early, and no one's a lock (sadly, not even Portishead or MBV) so we'll see.

Also, the Massive Attack slot from 06' sounds fitting for Portishead... But let's not tempt the fates and have them open for an aggressive band, I'd rather they closed out the night, a la Tiesto or Black Star.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-10-2007, 03:28 AM
Personaly, I love Gogol Bordello's albums. I didnt have any before I saw them at Coachella. I had downloaded a few tracks, watched a couple videos and decided they were a must see. The day after I got back from Coachella, I bought Gypsy Punks. It still didnt stick right away, unlike thier live show. However, after a few listens, I thouroughly enjoy the entire album everytime I listen to it. All I can think of is thier live show when I listen to them... and I smile. Super Taranta was the same thing. I got it (two copies actually... dont ask) and after the first time I was like "This is good. Not as good as gypsy punks though. I wonder how the new songs will translate live?" After a few listens I am like "Damn! This a good album! But I still wonder how it will translate live..." Then I saw them just over a week ago, and the new stuff sounds great live! Even the slower songs on the album, Like Tribal Connection and Alcohol. My favorite song of Super Taranta is My Strange Uncles From Abroad. If you havent listened to that one, stick in the CD and listen to it! They didnt play it at the last show I went to though. The only song I cant get into, is Zina-Marina. My girlfriend loves that song... but there is just something about that song that bugs me. Other than that, I love their recorded music. Just give it a few more listens.
And TeamCoachella... was the show where you saw Gogol Bordello at the Red Rocks, the one where they were opening up for Manu Chao?

Yes sir! Wasn't able to see that at Coachella due to conflicts with Bjork (Camped out all day for her...) but saw them up close and personal at Red Rocks..completely blew everyone away...even Manu Chao....

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-10-2007, 03:29 AM
Also, the Massive Attack slot from 06' sounds fitting for Portishead... But let's not tempt the fates and have them open for an aggressive band, I'd rather they closed out the night, a la Tiesto or Black Star.

I would have to agree...Portishead needs to close out the main stage even if they are not the headliners....

rage patton
09-10-2007, 09:02 AM
I would have to agree...Portishead needs to close out the main stage even if they are not the headliners....

They NEED to? I can think of some bands Portishead could play before, and it would probably be even better than closing the mainstage.

Portishead --> Radiohead
Portishead --> David Bowie
Portishead --> The Cure

There are plenty of acts where it would make more sense for them to play before the headliner on the mainstage. I think after the Massive Attack --> Tool scenario, no longer will GV schedule like that. For example, lets say Nine Inch Nails headline a day next year, GV would probably put Portishead on after NIN. But how awesome would it be seeing Portishead before Radiohead?

Yes sir! Wasn't able to see that at Coachella due to conflicts with Bjork (Camped out all day for her...) but saw them up close and personal at Red Rocks..completely blew everyone away...even Manu Chao....

Im guessing they didnt do the bass drum crowd surf there eh?

PassiveTheory
09-10-2007, 12:50 PM
Well, I guess the value of Portishead before Radiohead would be being able to see something after Portishead, despite my desire to see them close out the night. Bowie's fanbase is pretty nuts... So who knows in respect to that, but I wouldn't want to see them open up for the Cure... I mean, sure, it'd be calm as hell, but it just doesn't mesh well for me.

Plus, I've heard stories about the Cure live... Are they really that bad?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-17-2007, 12:45 PM
They NEED to? I can think of some bands Portishead could play before, and it would probably be even better than closing the mainstage.

Portishead --> Radiohead
Portishead --> David Bowie
Portishead --> The Cure

There are plenty of acts where it would make more sense for them to play before the headliner on the mainstage. I think after the Massive Attack --> Tool scenario, no longer will GV schedule like that. For example, lets say Nine Inch Nails headline a day next year, GV would probably put Portishead on after NIN. But how awesome would it be seeing Portishead before Radiohead?

Im guessing they didnt do the bass drum crowd surf there eh?

Portishead Before Radiohead would be awesome. Actually any of those would be RH seems to be the most plausible one. How about PH followed by Aphex Twin on the main stage?

And no he wasn't able to do the drum surf thing but he sure as hell made his way into the crowd. Drum or no drum....

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-17-2007, 12:46 PM
Well, I guess the value of Portishead before Radiohead would be being able to see something after Portishead, despite my desire to see them close out the night. Bowie's fanbase is pretty nuts... So who knows in respect to that, but I wouldn't want to see them open up for the Cure... I mean, sure, it'd be calm as hell, but it just doesn't mesh well for me.

Plus, I've heard stories about the Cure live... Are they really that bad?

I have heard conflicting stories on the Cure live. I guess it depends on the night....

bballarl
09-17-2007, 04:54 PM

Asobi Seksu wishes they could have made Loveless. This statement makes me very upset.

garrett222
09-17-2007, 08:45 PM
Day 1: REM
Day 2: The Prodigy/The Killers
Day 3: Radiohead

Somewhat Damaged
09-17-2007, 09:17 PM
The Killers? Really? Wow. Uh, okay.

And if the Prodigy weren't headliners in 2002, they aren't headliners now. Not in America.

Boourns
09-21-2007, 10:20 AM
How about this for a night?
Main:
Portishead 7:30-8:40
Radiohead 9:15-10:45
Aphex Twin 10:50-12:00 (in the tent)

Like 2004, but Portishead and Aphex Twin replacing Pixies and Kraftwerk. Mmmm.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-21-2007, 10:24 AM
How about this for a night?
Main:
Portishead 7:30-8:40
Radiohead 9:15-10:45
Aphex Twin 10:50-12:00 (in the tent)

Like 2004, but Portishead and Aphex Twin replacing Pixies and Kraftwerk. Mmmm.

Epic....But just keep RDJ on the main stage..I don't want to have to run over to the Sahara...

Boourns
09-21-2007, 12:14 PM
But then you'd have a much shorter set and an inappropriate environment.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-25-2007, 01:53 PM
But then you'd have a much shorter set and an inappropriate environment.

Nah! Richard only needs a hour to wipe out the fields...anymore and our brains would turn to mush....

dorkfish
09-25-2007, 02:42 PM
Due to the tie, your top 5 performances should be as such:
1. (tie) Daft Punk @ Red Rocks/Bjork @ Coachella
3. Bjork @ Red Rocks
4. Arcade Fire @ Coachella
5. Underworld @ The Fillmore Denver

Necromancer
09-25-2007, 05:27 PM
i'd be first in line to see aphex twin at coachella, though he'd seem a bit out of place i think

but then again, where DOES aphex twin belong?!? :D

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-27-2007, 07:24 AM
Due to the tie, your top 5 performances should be as such:
1. (tie) Daft Punk @ Red Rocks/Bjork @ Coachella
3. Bjork @ Red Rocks
4. Arcade Fire @ Coachella
5. Underworld @ The Fillmore Denver

Nah! I like it better this way...

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-27-2007, 07:25 AM
i'd be first in line to see aphex twin at coachella, though he'd seem a bit out of place i think

but then again, where DOES aphex twin belong?!? :D

On the main stage closing out a night rocking the hell out of the polo fields.....

Alchemy
09-28-2007, 03:34 PM
Who the Hell picks Radiohead over Talking Heads? The Smiths? David Bowie?

Why do people hate music?

Boourns
09-28-2007, 04:37 PM
Realistic people.

PassiveTheory
09-28-2007, 05:01 PM
Who the Hell picks Radiohead over Talking Heads? The Smiths? David Bowie?

Why do people hate music?

Radiohead fans.

fober
09-30-2007, 02:17 AM
FYI in case it wasn't clear yet, when you give me the option to choose more than one, I'm going all of the above.

Like I give a shit who headlines Coachella, I'm going anyway.

BROKENDOLL
09-30-2007, 10:09 AM
My sentiments exactly...I haven't been disappointed yet! Wait...Madonna was a disappointment, but then watching from atop the VIP area as everyone migrated to the Sahara more than made up for the actual entertainment.

Alchemy
09-30-2007, 12:02 PM
FYI in case it wasn't clear yet, when you give me the option to choose more than one, I'm going all of the above.

Like I give a shit who headlines Coachella, I'm going anyway.

Would you give a shit if Talking Heads, David Bowie and The Smiths headlined?

fober
09-30-2007, 01:43 PM
Not really, because I'd probably be far away in the tents while they were playing.

Amneeziac
10-01-2007, 12:37 AM
Radiohead. David Bowie. Talking Heads.

Period.

Boourns
10-22-2007, 09:32 AM
The real question is who could headline? Considering how Coachella headliners are "alternative" music bands that are large enough to tour arenas and amphitheaters, but still haven't completely lost their indie cred, and most came into existence or entered public awareness in the 90's, there aren't that many left. I guess it could help to bring in some respectable acts that have been around longer, like David Bowie and Neil Young or poppier acts like No Doubt and Duran Duran.

Sure, there's Talking Heads and The Smiths, but both are completely unrealistic. We already know Moz wouldn't play nice with Johnny Marr and find two other musicians for $75 million. So who CAN headline, realistically?

And Aphex Twin would NOT be a headliner. Maybe second line on the poster, but not top.

PassiveTheory
10-26-2007, 10:51 PM
Boourns, are we talking original headliners or rehashed ones? Because my answer to your question would vary on your answer.

summerkid
10-28-2007, 10:01 PM
In response to Boourns.

Radiohead
REM
Pearl Jam (don't know if they'll be touring then or not)
Jay Z
Bob Dylan (don't know if he'll still be touring either)
Kanye West
White Stripes
Beck
No Doubt

Too Soon?
NIN
Coldplay

Guys that don't seem to fit the bill but...
Metallica (i think they were at Coachella last year because i saw something on my local radio stations website where they were covering Coachella and they were talking to the guys in Metallica and it said something underneath the picture like "so and so asks Metallica if they are headlining Coachella next year")
Eminem
Dr. Dre

Some of those are borderline too.

Wheres the beef?
10-28-2007, 10:41 PM
Guys that don't seem to fit the bill but...
Metallica (i think they were at Coachella last year because i saw something on my local radio stations website where they were covering Coachella and they were talking to the guys in Metallica and it said something underneath the picture like "so and so asks Metallica if they are headlining Coachella next year")

Well given that it was 6 months ago, wouldn't you know, look and see if this was true or not before saying something like this?

summerkid
10-28-2007, 10:49 PM
Well given that it was 6 months ago, wouldn't you know, look and see if this was true or not before saying something like this?

http://www.fm949sd.com/photos/BigPhotoPage.cfm?id=26

there. Scroll down to the very bottom of the page. Lars Ulrich was there i guess...

Boourns
10-28-2007, 10:49 PM
Boourns, are we talking original headliners or rehashed ones? Because my answer to your question would vary on your answer.

Original. But first let's take a look at previous headliners:
Rage - too soon
RHCP - too soon
Bjork - too soon
Tool - too soon
Depeche Mode - too soon
NIN - a bit too soon, but they will be touring next year from what I understand
Coldplay - release date is a few months away, and the album will surely be released a few months after that, but still a bit too soon for them to headline again
The Cure - playing Hollywood Bowl 4 weeks later. no chance in hell.
Radiohead - tour starts around then, but they usually play Europe first, so hopefully they break tradition and do Coachella
Beastie Boys - I doubt it since they spent all 2007 touring, so 2008 sounds like break time...has anyone heard anything about them doing anything next year?
Oasis - new album in 2008, so maybe, but are they big enough to headline again considering how massive Coachella has become?
Janes Addiction - broke up again, but you know Perry Farrell will be there
Beck - awesome performer, but not big enough to headline a 60,000 person festival

Who else? The only alternative/indie rock acts that I can think of that are big enough (meaning they headline large arena/amphitheater gigs in American cities besides NY and LA), not counting reunions:
Pearl Jam - playing festivals and GA shows again, so why not
R.E.M. - new album on the way and recent live cd/dvd should invoke nostalgic memories. personally, I'd love to see them finally play, and I know they aren't as big a draw nowadays, but I think paired with a strong co-headliner (My Bloody Valentine), they'd work out fine since everyone knows them and most people at the festival would see them.
The Killers - ugh, I hope not, and I don't know what their 2008 plans are
Weezer - played in 01 and 05, but didn't headline. new album on the way, so maybe?
Foo Fighters - didn't headline in 2002, wouldn't in 2008, but definitely a contender for a second or third-billed act
Green Day - new album coming in 2008, but would be considered "too pop" with not enough crossover appeal with the rest of the traditional Coachella fare
Smashing Pumpkins - will they still be touring six months from now? I haven't heard. But in any case, 2007 was the year for this to happen at Coachella, and it didn't, but we got Rage instead, which was far more impressive.
Muse - aren't they going to be working on their next album at the time?
Outkast - a lot of people want this, but doesn't seem any less unlikely than usual
Kanye West - why not? he drew a huge crowd last year, so I'm sure he'd have some drawing power if he's actually listed on the poster next time.

Going against type:
David Bowie - people clearly want this to happen, but that doesn't make it so
Neil Young - would be great, no objections here...how likely is this?
Bob Dylan - definitely for Bonnaroo, but I really doubt Coachella
Metallica - considered the "jump the shark" moment of Lollapalooza, so no
U2 - never play festivals, but if they did, it would sell out instantly. there's also the problem of crossover appeal. a lot of fans of traditional Coachella fare also like U2, but the opposite is not as true. but people said the same about Rage, right?
Rolling Stones - too big
Bruce Springsteen - I predict The Boss for Bonnaroo 2008, where he can do a 3+ hour set
The Police - just make the pre-sale password "roxanne" again
Paul McCartney - I'll probably get a lot of shit for what I'm about to say, but I'd be down with this. would certainly beat spending $300 to see him at Staples Center
Duran Duran - new album, right?
Prince - never plays festivals, but would be a massive draw
Aerosmith - ahahahaha, what a joke
The Eagles - too disgusting to be a joke
Nickelback, Linkin Park, Evanescence, MCR, Britney Spears, Hinder, ICP, Maroon 5, Justin Timberlake, John Mayer - most of the fans of these bands aren't old enough to camp on-site, and don't forget the issue of crossover appeal (but I'm sure a lot of Coachellians would be down for seeing Justin in the tent)
Barry Manilow - he is music and he writes the songs!

Reunions:
The Smiths - will never happen
Talking Heads - as unlikely as ever, never even rumored
System of a Down - too soon, but I think there's a good chance of Serj Tankian playing his solo record
No Doubt - didn't they reunite for a Gwen Stefani gig earlier this year?
Pulp - would be second-billed at best, sadly
Blur - ditto (and having lunch together != reunion)
The Verve - ditto (this reunion is already happening)
My Bloody Valentine - ditto (already strongly rumored)
Portishead - ditto (arguably not a reunion)
Faith No More - I forget, but which project is Mike Patton with this week?
Pink Floyd - they'd have to increase the capacity to one million
Led Zeppelin - charity one-off does not mean a world tour, sorry
Soundgarden - doubt it. does anyone have anything to support or debunk such a reunion?
Stone Temple Pilots - doubt it. does anyone have anything to support or debunk such a reunion?
Creed - OMG FUCK YES! BEST COACHELLA EVAR!

So, what do you think?

summerkid
10-28-2007, 10:56 PM
Paul McCartney is someone that could...I guess
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band too

you bring up Green Day which scares the shit out of me because i remember DaftRadioheadPunk saying something about Green Day being early favorites for headlining Coachella 2008 and that guy called the Daft Punk tour so he has to have some inside information.

REM sure seems like a no brainer for Day 1 though doesn't it?

Boourns
10-28-2007, 11:06 PM
Paul McCartney is someone that could...I guess
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band too

you bring up Green Day which scares the shit out of me because i remember DaftRadioheadPunk saying something about Green Day being early favorites for headlining Coachella 2008 and that guy called the Daft Punk tour so he has to have some inside information.

REM sure seems like a no brainer for Day 1 though doesn't it?

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. His previous scoops qualify him as credible, but wasn't it too soon to call out headliners like that? I doubt all of next year's headliners are booked already, if any.

Bruce Springsteen would certainly be...different. But I think he'd fit in best at Bonnaroo, where he could play for 3+ hours.

And REM would be awesome.

orbit
10-28-2007, 11:41 PM
What about Gorillaz?

orbit
10-29-2007, 12:11 AM
And Aphex Twin would NOT be a headliner. Maybe second line on the poster, but not top.

Yeah, maybe next year is the one, and he finally will play. He came for ATP on 2003, five years after his last show in US. Coachella 2008 would be five years after his last show here :eek:

Bah, I'm just looking for random reasons to believe he will come. There is hope, though. He was playing mainly unannounced shows for the last couple of years, but now he announced ATP in UK and some more gigs over Europe. A live perfomance would be insane. Bring the sandpaper and the food mixer!

Boourns
10-29-2007, 12:20 AM
What about Gorillaz?

Isn't that project on hold indefinitely?

with the kills
10-29-2007, 11:56 AM
personally id rather see david bowie perform rock n' roll suicide than radiohead perform we suck young blood

mvanwinkle
10-29-2007, 01:09 PM
Isn't that project on hold indefinitely?

yes'm. i cant see them taking a break from being on hold anytime soon. especially since GBQ is working on a new album

ILOVECATS
11-27-2007, 11:32 AM
Original.

Reunions:
The Smiths - will never happen
Talking Heads - as unlikely as ever, never even rumored
System of a Down - too soon, but I think there's a good chance of Serj Tankian playing his solo record
No Doubt - didn't they reunite for a Gwen Stefani gig earlier this year?
Pulp - would be second-billed at best, sadly
Blur - ditto (and having lunch together != reunion)
The Verve - ditto (this reunion is already happening)
My Bloody Valentine - ditto (already strongly rumored)
Portishead - ditto (arguably not a reunion)
Faith No More - I forget, but which project is Mike Patton with this week?
Pink Floyd - they'd have to increase the capacity to one million
Led Zeppelin - charity one-off does not mean a world tour, sorry
Soundgarden - doubt it. does anyone have anything to support or debunk such a reunion?
Stone Temple Pilots - doubt it. does anyone have anything to support or debunk such a reunion?
Creed - OMG FUCK YES! BEST COACHELLA EVAR!

So, what do you think?

I heard a rumor Roger Waters was going to be there...which is a strange rumor to begin with but a perfect place for his recent sets. I will fly back from Fl if he shows up and would choke my mother for tix if Pink Floyd gets back together (one can dream can't he)

bigc1
11-27-2007, 09:35 PM
i'd prefer Gilmour over Waters. plus with the chance he would perform with Richard Wright would kill.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
11-28-2007, 02:35 PM
damn all these votes for David Bowie and Radiohead....sux we won't get them...

Boourns
11-28-2007, 03:15 PM
Yeah, they got over 83% of the votes.

MarkO
11-28-2007, 08:15 PM
Somehow I can see The Chems on the main stage as a main festival headliner ......

rage patton
11-28-2007, 08:24 PM
Chems are definately not big enough to headline Coachella.

menikmati
11-28-2007, 09:31 PM
and keep em in the sahara....such a better vibe in there.

MarkO
11-29-2007, 05:57 AM

Sure they are.

betao
11-29-2007, 07:37 AM
big enough? Yeah probably. But should they? No way, definitely keep them in the sahara.

Boourns
11-29-2007, 08:47 AM
What do you all think is the likelihood of Duran Duran or Smashing Pumpkins headlining? They are headlining V Australia in April, and while that in no way means they will play Coachella, it does mean they will probably be available to the possibility.

Anyway, from another thread, all the possible headliners I could think of:
R.E.M.
White Stripes (if Meg White gets over herself)
Beastie Boys
Oasis
Smashing Pumpkins
Duran Duran
The Killers (puke)
No Doubt
Green Day
Muse
Prince (highly unlikely)
U2 (even more unlikely)
Beck (subheadliner at most)
Weezer (ditto)
Portishead (guaranteed subheadliner)
The Verve (ditto)
A Tribe Called Quest (ditto)
Death Cab for Cutie (ditto)

orbit
11-29-2007, 09:17 AM
I can see Oasis headlining one of the days, and Ashcroft pissed off getting second-third billing. I mean, the guy expects The Verve to headline Glastonbury.

Boourns
11-29-2007, 10:51 AM
I can definitely imagine that, but hopefully he realizes that this is America, and the sunset slot on the main stage is the most magical by far.

rage patton
11-29-2007, 11:04 AM
I was actually just thinking of Duran Duran the other day. Would GV get them to headline though? Most people I know, they think Duran Duran are just a joke...

bigc1
11-29-2007, 12:59 PM
Beck could headline friday, but not sat or sun

orbit
11-29-2007, 01:35 PM
I don't think so. Maybe Beck co-headlining with the Flaming lips

summerkid
11-29-2007, 01:45 PM
I think Beck and the White Stripes coheadlining is a distinct possibility for a Friday night providing Meg can get over her anxiety issues. Beastie Boys for Saturday and well...I have faith in GV to come up with something big for Sunday. Bowie, Outkast, or Gorillaz.

bigc1
11-29-2007, 04:23 PM
I don't think so. Maybe Beck co-headlining with the Flaming lips

that would be cool

boyalien0
11-29-2007, 06:59 PM
Sure they are.

Um....I'm not trying to start a fight, but No. No, they're not.

Sladokusac
12-04-2007, 06:52 AM
i'm seein portishead and aphew twin this weekend !!! yeaaahhhh

Somewhat Damaged
12-04-2007, 03:59 PM

Lucky bastard. You're going to record at least Portishead's set, right? That'll make you the most popular person on this board since The Daft Radiohead Punk posted about the 2007 Daft Punk tour.

orbit
12-06-2007, 02:44 PM

Say hi to Richard for me please. Also, ask him when he is coming to US, and if he owns an ipod. Thanks.

Botrocker
12-06-2007, 03:18 PM
haha

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-06-2007, 03:53 PM

we all hate and love you at the same time...please come back with a review...

Boourns
12-10-2007, 07:18 AM
new songs on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU)

psycobetabuckdown
12-10-2007, 11:51 AM
Deftones or Silverchair big enough to headline Coachella? I think Deftones definitely are, Silverchair probably not, considering they're Australian and all. If GV could get Stone Temple Pilots to reunite, I would cry. RATM gave me slight tears, but I think I would bawl for STP.

pdxsg
12-10-2007, 04:18 PM
LED ZEPPELIN (with the Cult opening)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Memorial_07
12-10-2007, 04:24 PM
Deftones or Silverchair big enough to headline Coachella? I think Deftones definitely are, Silverchair probably not, considering they're Australian and all. If GV could get Stone Temple Pilots to reunite, I would cry. RATM gave me slight tears, but I think I would bawl for STP.

Deftones I can defintley see as a headliner!
However, Silverchair could probably have the Crowded House slot or co-headliner slot

tklint24
12-10-2007, 11:02 PM
Deftones should definitely headline one of the nights. They'd bring the punch just like RATM.

shakermaker113
12-12-2007, 07:59 AM

Sure they are.

I hope you're joking, else I'll have to point out that they had to get zune to sponsor their recent, very small, very un-sold-out US tour.

they are not big enough to headline.

Silverchair probably not, considering they're Australian and all.

god forbid we have an australian headliner.

but seriously, how did Silverchair even enter this discussion? they're no-where near headliner status. how low were they on the lolapalooza bill this year? yeah.

thelastgreatman
12-15-2007, 10:28 AM
Zeppelin is headlining. That is all.

mysnakesashark
12-15-2007, 09:28 PM
I really think Zeppelin is gonna follow The Police's lead and (maybe) play Bonnaroo, then some ENORMOUS arenas and call it quits. I may be surprised but I seriously doubt Zepplin playing Coachella.

I have heard a lot of people talk about Outkast headlining (which would be really fun and different), but how probable is it actually? Have they spoken at all about touring in 08? Just curious...

TickleMeElmo
12-15-2007, 11:43 PM
I really think Zeppelin is gonna follow The Police's lead and (maybe) play Bonnaroo, then some ENORMOUS arenas and call it quits. I may be surprised but I seriously doubt Zepplin playing Coachella.

I have heard a lot of people talk about Outkast headlining (which would be really fun and different), but how probable is it actually? Have they spoken at all about touring in 08? Just curious...

Well, Robert Plant IS performing with Alison Krauss at Bonnaroo, which I actually don't know if that would raise or lower the chance of Led Zeppelin playing. Seems like everybody but Robert Plant wants to tour again.

I'd be down for Outkast as long as they don't play anything from Idlewild. God, that album was terrible.

Amneeziac
12-15-2007, 11:50 PM
Friday: Outkast
Saturday: The White Stripes
Sunday: Radiohead

expect the "official" poster to "leak" sometime soon.

ArcadeParade
12-16-2007, 06:41 AM
I would like

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-16-2007, 06:42 AM

This would be great if it was true...

ArcadeParade
12-16-2007, 06:42 AM

I thought I read somewhere big boi has a new disc on the way...can't remember where though.

menikmati
12-16-2007, 10:21 AM

Uh, why would the "official" poster "leak" anytime soon?

orbit
12-16-2007, 10:25 AM
I thought I read somewhere big boi has a new disc on the way...can't remember where though.

Yeah, Big Boi said his disc will come out sometime in 2008, so it's pretty unlikely to see Outkast headlining next year.

ArcadeParade
12-16-2007, 10:35 AM
Andre 3000 by himself would be just as good for me.

psycobetabuckdown
12-16-2007, 02:46 PM
Well, Robert Plant IS performing with Alison Krauss at Bonnaroo, which I actually don't know if that would raise or lower the chance of Led Zeppelin playing. Seems like everybody but Robert Plant wants to tour again.

I'd be down for Outkast as long as they don't play anything from Idlewild. God, that album was terrible.

#7 was a good song and a couple others were good, but yeah, pretty crap overall. I forgive them for Idlewild though, since it was basically a movie soundtrack.

Botrocker
12-16-2007, 09:16 PM
I'd like to see Outkast

toadallycool
12-16-2007, 10:25 PM
I'd kill to see Bowie live.

Dj Oso Fresh
12-17-2007, 12:42 AM
Last years Rage Against the Machine performance was amazing. . .

I think Radiohead would be awesome, I could see coldplay on that line-up, and a No Doubt reunion would be good but I don't think gwen is done with her pop stuff just yet.

A system of a down reunion isn't headline material (at least not for a festival of coachella caliber, maybe they can sell out the Wiltern) and Serj Tankian is probably gonna be on the line-up doing his solo stuff which isn't so bad.

Manu Chao was amazing last year . . . but I know about they can't be on there two years in a row.

I'd like to see:
Gnarls Barkley
MURS
Felt
Jamiroquai
Daft Punk
Public Enemy

I've been out of the loop as far as rumors go so I don't expect to be 100% right on any of this . . . I'm just sayin.

and please, please, please . . . . NO MORE CROWDED HOUSE.

Boourns
12-17-2007, 01:05 AM
System of a Down headlined the Ozzy-less Ozzfest and played Long Beach Arena, but I don't think they would ever headline Coachella. Too soon for a reunion, anyway.

rage patton
12-17-2007, 09:03 AM
I'd like to see:
Gnarls Barkley
MURS
Felt
Jamiroquai
Daft Punk
Public Enemy

I agree with these all. Especialy Gnarls Barkley and Jamiroquai. Welcome DJ Oso Fresh.

System of a Down headlined the Ozzy-less Ozzfest and played Long Beach Arena, but I don't think they would ever headline Coachella. Too soon for a reunion, anyway.

I doubt System would ever play Coachella. But if they did, Im pretty sure they would headline. They are sure as hell are a bigger name then Bjork.
I'm betting Serj Tankian will be at Coachella next year though.

Cdubby
12-24-2007, 02:58 PM
Since this will be my first coachella I am going to a be a little selfish and request Radiohead as a headliner, I have yet to catch them in concert. I also chose Talking Heads (which will never happen) and Outkast for the other. That would be an awesome festival. :dumbo

thelastgreatman
12-25-2007, 03:40 PM
Um... look at the sig directly above you. Radiohead is not playing. Fortunately, Zeppelin is.

betao
12-25-2007, 03:47 PM
Randy, just curious, you base your Zep prediction off of a feeling (and logic)...

what are your other hunches?

MILOC
12-25-2007, 03:50 PM
how about k-fed doing all brittany songs!! that would be awesome! i would trade my third nutt to see that! popozow!

thelastgreatman
12-25-2007, 04:32 PM
Don't really have any others, betao. When I saw Portishead was curating ATP that became an obvious lock, there's no way that's not happening. Umm... I can't reveal how I know exactly but the MBV rumors are pretty dead on, and Primal Scream is a good possibility as well. If not for Langerado I'd say REM might be a good shot, but that kinda makes me doubtful. What I'm really wondering now is who the young people's headliners are gonna be. Aside from that I don't have many other feelings.

I'd give 5-3 odds on Chem Bros and Underworld both being there, with Underworld being a dead lock.

betao
12-25-2007, 04:41 PM
damn man, if you're right, i'll be overjoyed... chems, underworld, and PRIMAL SCREAM...now thats something cool

edit: where is the primal scream guess coming from? i havent been too up to date on them, but would love hearing Vanishing Point performed in its entirety

summerkid
12-25-2007, 09:49 PM
What I'm really wondering now is who the young people's headliners are gonna be. Aside from that I don't have many other feelings.

Kanye West. Bank on it. He has yet to tour the US in support of Graduation except a few shows here and there. Kid Sister is confirmed to be playing Coachella and she's opening for Kanye on his tour so that makes him available. I'd also be willing to bet that REM is headlining a night because the way i look at it one of langerado's headliners is headlining and I highly doubt they go with two rap headliners. No clue on who would be the third headliner.

rage patton
12-26-2007, 12:24 AM
There were actually rumours about Primal Scream playing in 07. If it does happen, I guess GV decided to hold off on them until 2008.
Also, Portishead HAVE to be there next year. They are not headliner material though. But still. They will be there.
As for other headliners next year, I think either REM, Beastie Boys, Oasis or No Doubt. Of course, there are also rumours floating around GV is trying to get STP and/or Soundgarden back together for next year...

thelastgreatman
12-26-2007, 07:39 AM
Kanye West. Bank on it. He has yet to tour the US in support of Graduation except a few shows here and there. Kid Sister is confirmed to be playing Coachella and she's opening for Kanye on his tour so that makes him available. I'd also be willing to bet that REM is headlining a night because the way i look at it one of langerado's headliners is headlining and I highly doubt they go with two rap headliners. No clue on who would be the third headliner.

I'll gladly bet you 500 dollars Kanye isn't headlining, even give you 2-1 odds on it. He might perform, but he ain't headlining. I don't see why langerado's headliners have anything to do with Coachella's headliners. I think REM would be great, though, but them playing Langerado makes it dubious for me. No Doubt might be very possible, really. It skews to a young crowd and it'd be a big surprise, and I couldn't really blame them for taking No Doubt as long as they're getting Zep. STP would be awesome by me, no hunch one way or the other about it.

Beasties are really dubious, they did too many fests last year.

thelastgreatman
12-26-2007, 07:49 AM
It just occurred to me that White Stripes might be viable again because they didn't really play many shows last year, did they? They didn't headline Austin City, had they played any other fests? White Stripes on Friday might be a really likely bet. Alright, I'm calling White Stripes for Friday, No Doubt for Saturday, and Zeppelin for Sunday for the moment. Portishead under No Doubt, MBV under Zeppelin? That sounds reasonable.

thelastgreatman
12-26-2007, 07:52 AM
Yeah, I just checked the Stripes tour dates from last year and this sounds all too reasonable. Until I hear otherwise, that's the Coach 08 lineup.

summerkid
12-26-2007, 10:02 AM
Raconteurs are touring in the Spring not the Stripes.

thelastgreatman
12-26-2007, 10:03 AM
Oh right. What was that taken from?

summerkid
12-26-2007, 10:08 AM
http://www.theagencygroup.com/artist.aspx?ArtistID=3105

summerkid
12-26-2007, 10:15 AM
I don't know why you guys don't think Kanye is a headliner, he sold nearly a million albums in one week and plays venues that headliners play and his album landed on most critics best of the year lists.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-26-2007, 10:31 AM
It just occurred to me that White Stripes might be viable again because they didn't really play many shows last year, did they? They didn't headline Austin City, had they played any other fests? White Stripes on Friday might be a really likely bet. Alright, I'm calling White Stripes for Friday, No Doubt for Saturday, and Zeppelin for Sunday for the moment. Portishead under No Doubt, MBV under Zeppelin? That sounds reasonable.

Those headliners sound fantastic if it actually happens that way..but...

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-26-2007, 10:32 AM
I don't know why you guys don't think Kanye is a headliner, he sold nearly a million albums in one week and plays venues that headliners play and his album landed on most critics best of the year lists.

....I am with you on this in thinking that Kanye west could headline...I think we were the only 2 who picked him as a headliner in the pool...maybe she can show up with Daft Punk...I am pretty sure no one would be opposed to that...

thelastgreatman
12-26-2007, 11:08 AM

Technically that says that The Raconteurs are available to play, not that they are touring. Where's the Stripes agency page? Raconteurs might be at Coach then, but they wouldn't headline, secondline would be nice though. Ooo, Raconteurs before Zeppelin? That'd be choice I think.

Kanye isn't a Coachella headliner (a) because he's only had three albums, (b) because he's hip-hop and the show just isn't that interesting, (c) because his last album sucked, and (d) because he was all over the place this year. Coach isn't going to take him as a headliner after he was oversaturated all 2007.

summerkid
12-26-2007, 11:17 AM
Technically that says that The Raconteurs are available to play, not that they are touring. Where's the Stripes agency page? Raconteurs might be at Coach then, but they wouldn't headline, secondline would be nice though. Ooo, Raconteurs before Zeppelin? That'd be choice I think.

Kanye isn't a Coachella headliner (a) because he's only had three albums, (b) because he's hip-hop and the show just isn't that interesting, (c) because his last album sucked, and (d) because he was all over the place this year. Coach isn't going to take him as a headliner after he was oversaturated all 2007.

a. coldplay 2005 b. beastie boys 2003 c. RHCP 2007 (even though i disagree)

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-26-2007, 11:22 AM

good call...

thelastgreatman
12-26-2007, 11:27 AM
I don't understand what your argument is. X & Y came out in 2005, just after Coachella. The Beasties hadn't toured in a couple years in 2003. And RHCP is just kinda California and Coachella legacy--they're a guaranteed sellout day with a two decade career, tens of millions of albums sold. That's not a comparison to Kanye at all.

summerkid
12-26-2007, 11:33 AM
X & Y came out in 2005,.

X&Y was their third album.

The crowd for Kanye West in 2006 was massive I don't think I've ever seen a crowd that big that early in the day at Coachella.

thelastgreatman
12-26-2007, 11:38 AM
Okay, fair enough, but if that's the case then they would have gotten Kanye last year, not the year AFTER his album dropped and he was completely oversaturated. kanye was all over the place last year, Coach isn't going to pick him up. in 2006 Golddigger was the biggest song everywhere when he played, hence the enthusiasm. You think people are still gonna be all hyped up about Stronger in April?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-26-2007, 11:41 AM
Only if Daft Punk is actually with Kanye during Stronger...

Dj Oso Fresh
12-26-2007, 05:51 PM
What about the fact that Kanye's mom passed and he hasn't made any contact with anyone since?

His blog (which he'd post on almost everyday) hasn't had a post in almost 2 months since his mom passed. Is he ready to perform again?

And yes, Kanye West is headline material. Even if his songs are way overplayed by April. He'd still have it in him to headline.
He'd probably do something sick like do it with a live Orchestra like he did Abbey road. Or him doing Stronger live with daft punk would be more than amazing. And a Kanye Headline would guarantee special guests.

He's an amazing performer. Has sold millions of records, and Makes HIT after HIT after HIT.
Kanye could definitely headline Friday night.

thelastgreatman
12-26-2007, 06:02 PM
He could not be a Coachella headliner. It's different. He could headline any other festival I guess, but not Coach.

thelastgreatman
12-26-2007, 06:51 PM
Also, in reference to the Coldplay-Kanye comparison: A Rush Of Blood To The Head sold 10 million copies. X & Y did 8 after Coachella. Graduation has sold 2 million so far, Late Registration 3. That is why there's a difference.

betao
12-26-2007, 07:00 PM
I'm with Randy on this one. I dont think he should headline.

yeah but ALL of those apply to Kanye. Only one of those applies to said artists above. Beastie Boys and RHCP have been around for awhile; they've earned a headlining status. Plus, do you think Paul would really ask him? Especially after that stubborn temper-tantrum he threw when he didnt get his award.

I dont think he should headline - but given our lack of knowledge on any headliners for this year, and also given who we have ruled out... I guess anything is possible right now.

thelastgreatman
12-26-2007, 07:07 PM
I just don't think he carries either the artistic weight to. Coachella headliners are either VERY established acts with 10 million plus album sales under their belts, or in the case of Coldplay they were just the critical darlings of 2003, about to release what turned out to be the biggest album of 2005, and very Coachella-esque in their music (a pop-flavored Radiohead knockoff). Kanye's "breakout success" is nothing compared to the way Coldplay exploded. I don't like Coldplay that much, and I don't know what their 2005 set was like, but I've seen some concert footage of Speed of Sound that was DEFINITELY Coachella headliner material. Kanye ain't that.

betao
12-26-2007, 07:12 PM
Yeah, that sounds about right. I cant really think of any hip-hop act right now that has the potential to headline to the festival. There are plenty of 2nd tier options, but I really don't think any have the power to headline. Public Enemy maybe, but pretty much every show review of theirs that I've read in the past year has been negative.

thelastgreatman
12-26-2007, 07:14 PM
The Beasties were able to (theoretically still could but I don't think Coach will ever do that again) because they've been one of the longest running and most commercially successful acts ever in hip hop. And they're white boy rap, so it's more accepted. And they sometimes play instruments when they decide to not suck.

betao
12-26-2007, 07:19 PM
Beasties could, but I think that would depend on 2 options - One of them being, Do GV and Paul want to top last year? If the BB headlined a night, they'd better have 2 other strong headliners or something else to make us say wow. I'd like to think Coachella's goal is to be fresh and original each year, I worry that if BB headlined, too many people would start to think less of Coachella. The 2nd option is that if they headlined, like I said earlier, there would probably have to be some other sick, totally unexpected headliner. Or something big from GV. I have faith in them always.

thelastgreatman
12-26-2007, 07:41 PM
Having the Beasties was special in 2003 when they hadn't toured in four years. It wouldn't be special now when they played tons of festivals and toured last year. I don't think they'll do it.

betao
12-26-2007, 07:52 PM
Seriously. They'd pretty much be as special as smashing pumpkins - coachella would be getting sloppy seconds.

thelastgreatman
12-26-2007, 08:01 PM
Exactly why Pumpkins won't be there (not to mention that they were HORRIBLE at Virgin Fest and every other fest. Worst fucking reunion set list ever). RHCP got a pass because they're a staple--Cali and the world at large love them. Pearl Jam is a distant possibility for this year, I'd almost say if Coach had two other strong "gets" as headliners they'd take Lolla's leftovers with Pearl Jam, except that PJ's album is two years old now, so it seems dubious.

thelastgreatman
12-26-2007, 08:02 PM
I'm getting worried Green Day might be a real threat, just as a concession to the kiddies since they're getting Zeppelin.

betao
12-26-2007, 08:08 PM
Green Day can be play if they want to.

but they have to play at the same time as the Chemical Brothers. or Underworld. No exceptions.

thelastgreatman
12-26-2007, 08:12 PM
I'm also calling the following as locks:

My Morning Jacket
Hot Chip reprise
Flight of the Conchords
The Streets
Nick Cave

betao
12-26-2007, 08:14 PM
any reason for those? and I dont think Hot Chip will play again.

thelastgreatman
12-26-2007, 09:34 PM
Hot Chip will definitely play again. Add Gnarls Barkley to the locks list.

thelastgreatman
12-26-2007, 09:35 PM
If you're looking for "reasons" in terms of insider information or anything, no, there is none. I have no access to any kind of insider info. I just decided to look at the list of bands with albums coming out next year and the ones that jumped out at me I listed.

betao
12-26-2007, 09:52 PM
Some of those seem fairly possible. But I'm not sure about Hot Chip. It's possible, but unlikely. Festival promoters try not to book the same acts twice in a row. Like to keep things somewhat original. I know this is not always the case, as there are many artists that have played consecutive years, but I just dont think Hot Chip will be back next year.

thelastgreatman
12-26-2007, 10:02 PM
They booked Bloc Party twice in a row. Hot Chip was one of the most praised but unexpected acts of 07, they didn't play LA again after Coach until this February and it looks like the heat of their Coach performance is still going strong based on how fast that El Rey show sold out. I know Boourns (I think?) already called this, but I'm in agreement. With another album on the way in 08, Hot Chip's gonna have enough heat and not have been seen enough to garner a repeat invite. Of Montreal is also a big possibility.

Also I'd love to see Heartless Bastards, though I'm not sure there's going to be reason for them to be booked.

betao
12-26-2007, 10:08 PM
I guess its possible. I'd like for it to happen, i'd enjoy seeing them. But I think it will also depend on who else GV can get. If GV gets to choose between an act that has yet to play coachella, or an act that played the previous year, I think they'd pick the first one. But who knows whats going on in GV, and how they select acts. I'm sure Hot Chip would be a good draw indeed, given that they were indeed a breakout act of 07, but I dunno. Just something tells me they won't be there. Kinda like your feelings with LZ, only mine arent as strong or determined.

thelastgreatman
12-26-2007, 10:11 PM
Well, neither of us is certain for sure. But I don't think Bloc Party's 05 performance was as well received as Hot Chip's 07.

betao
12-26-2007, 10:15 PM
well, i'll be spending most of my time in the sahara (depending on other acts of course..)

my fingers are crossed for Underworld and the Chemical Brothers. I really hope the chems play.

and Booka Shade.

Dj Oso Fresh
12-26-2007, 11:20 PM
There are plenty of 2nd tier options, but I really don't think any have the power to headline. Public Enemy maybe, but pretty much every show review of theirs that I've read in the past year has been negative.

I saw Public Enemy at Rock the Bells in San Bernardino.
I thought it was an amazing set. Definitely not Headline material but if they had a spot on the line-up I would definitely look forward to it. They bring a certain energy that is pretty amazing. . . . and Flava Flav can still rock a show!

Dj Oso Fresh
12-26-2007, 11:22 PM
Flight of the Concords would be great. They're hilarious.

and would anyone like to see Chromeo somewhere on the line-up on one of the days? or am I alone on that one?

kitt kat
12-26-2007, 11:31 PM
to add to the rumor mill

http://kscr.org/bw/?p=97

algunz
12-26-2007, 11:46 PM
Are you connecting us to articles that promote rumors you have written? I'm confused.

Dj Oso Fresh
12-26-2007, 11:47 PM
First of all . . . GO BRUINS!

second. That blog is no more than this message board. Speculation and a bunch of stab in the dark guesses. Talking heads as the Sunday headliner?

Wouldn't really excited me. But it might everyone else.

Opinions?

summerkid
12-26-2007, 11:56 PM
Also, in reference to the Coldplay-Kanye comparison: A Rush Of Blood To The Head sold 10 million copies. X & Y did 8 after Coachella. Graduation has sold 2 million so far, Late Registration 3. That is why there's a difference.

those are world wide figures aren't they? yeah just looked it up it sold 4 million copies in the US and late registration has sold 3.5 million in the US and hasn't been out as long as Rush of Blood to the Head has.

kitt kat
12-27-2007, 12:03 AM
Are you connecting us to articles that promote rumors you have written? I'm confused.

yeah. i shouldn't have said add to the rumor mill...i forgot. but yeah, SPECULATION!

Neutral Milk Hotel
12-27-2007, 02:41 AM
edit: bleh, wrong thread. This is what happens when you're posting at 4:00 AM.

thelastgreatman
12-27-2007, 04:03 AM
to add to the rumor mill

http://kscr.org/bw/?p=97

You should get someone that can write to proofread for you before you go shooting ropey loads of bad English all over the internet.

I tried to post a comment on your wildly inaccurate blog and it wouldn't let me. Your blog is a pussy.

thelastgreatman
12-27-2007, 04:06 AM
those are world wide figures aren't they? yeah just looked it up it sold 4 million copies in the US and late registration has sold 3.5 million in the US and hasn't been out as long as Rush of Blood to the Head has.

Late Registration was 2005, so was X & Y. Are you going to start quibbling over months?

betao
12-27-2007, 08:02 AM
I saw Public Enemy at Rock the Bells in San Bernardino.
I thought it was an amazing set. Definitely not Headline material but if they had a spot on the line-up I would definitely look forward to it. They bring a certain energy that is pretty amazing. . . . and Flava Flav can still rock a show!

That's good to hear. Most reviews of their shows this year havent been too good. Alot of them said that Flava Flav is just a disappointment, he tries to steal the show and stuff like that. But I would like to see PE do a show.

summerkid
12-27-2007, 11:00 AM
oh I was talking about Rush of Blood and Late Registration considering they were the second albums released by the artists, but Late Registration has out sold X and Y in the states.

J~$$$
12-27-2007, 11:14 AM
yeah. i shouldn't have said add to the rumor mill...i forgot. but yeah, SPECULATION!

"That’s right, you heard me correctly. The only way that Coachella can regain any ounce of authority and renown in the music festival circuit—especially after losing Radiohead—would be to book the most impossible reunion imaginable. So, Goldenvoice and Co., listen up closely. The following shall be your saving grace."

You can go fuck your self and your shitty self promotion you portray all over this message board.

thelastgreatman
12-27-2007, 12:25 PM
oh I was talking about Rush of Blood and Late Registration considering they were the second albums released by the artists, but Late Registration has out sold X and Y in the states.

Okay, what about worldwide?

summerkid
12-27-2007, 12:55 PM
Okay, what about worldwide?

Since this is a US festival the only numbers I really pay attention to are the US sales because I really don't think it matters whether or not Kanye sells records in South America and Coldplay does. Could Kanye headline Glastonbury? No, but could the Killers or Arctic Monkeys headline Coachella? nope. I don't want to dismiss worldwide sales completely because I do know Coachella brings in quite a bit from all over the globe, but I would think the majority of the audience is American. Also you can book shitty British bands that aren't big here, but are huge in the UK to bring the Brits over like last year with Kaiser Chiefs and Arctic Monkeys etc etc etc and expect to see more of that with Paul hanging around the 02 arena.

thelastgreatman
12-27-2007, 01:04 PM
Well I think it really does matter. Coachella headliners aren't just US successes--they're worldwide successes. It may take place in California but the festival tries to appeal to some international flavors. And we're lucky for that, because Coachella is one of the only US fests that has strong ties to the overseas music scene which is why we get some really amazing acts other fests didn't like New Order, Primal Scream, Jarvis, Daft Punk, Kraftwerk, etc.

Coachella isn't just a US festival. It tries to draw people from all over the world. And if you're good enough to headline Coachella, you had better be a worldwide success.

Botrocker
12-27-2007, 01:12 PM
I have to give it up to the lastgreatman on this one. Coachella's not about getting some overnight sensation. They're about getting an eclectic mix of musicians whom we(US citizens)would not see if they did not perform at Coachella. While festivals like Bonnaroo and Lollapalozza may have great line ups, neither of them have had New Order and Gang of Four perform in the same afternoon.

summerkid
12-27-2007, 01:20 PM
but its not like Kanye doesn't sell in the UK I know his first two albums didn't do well over there, but I think with graduation he's been tapping into that market. He played two nights at the Hammersmith Apollo its not like he's a nobody over there.

edit: nvm the second night sold out so quickly they moved the show to the 02 arena you can't tell me he's not big enough if he's playing the 02 arena a goldenvoice venue too hmmm...

Botrocker
12-27-2007, 01:40 PM
How many festival appearances did he have this year? If any.

summerkid
12-27-2007, 01:45 PM
he's headlining that good vibrations fest in australia and did one or two european fests earlier this year. Played a shortened set at Coachella in 2006 obviously and headlined Lolla that same year.

Dj Oso Fresh
12-27-2007, 05:55 PM
no comments on the fact that his mom died and he pretty much has disappeared since around November 10th of this year. Does everyone think that this wouldn't be a factor?

He hasn't made so much as a tabloid appearance and anytime someone asks for an interview his attorney says "the west family would appreciate privacy in the matter." Why would he talk to promoters?

Just a thought.

thelastgreatman
12-27-2007, 06:04 PM
Look, in order to headline Coachella you have to carry some serious weight--Kanye suffers from a lack of longevity, the fact that he's a hip-hop artist, and the fact that although at times definitely very talented he's fallen off recently and made an ass out of himself. The only hip-hop headliners ever were The Beasties, and that's because they're complete fucking legends in the rap world who had almost two decades under their belt before they hit the Coachella stage--and they could bust out some actual musical instruments and fucking rock on Sabotage. Before the Beasties became a joke, they were pioneers in that genre and a lot of credit for rap's popularity can be traced to them for making rap-rock-hybrid music that could bridge the cultural divide.

Kanye didn't do any of that shit, and he can't rap for shit. His beats used to be hot, they're not anymore, and he's already becoming a joke. HE WON'T BE THERE.

ShyGuy75
12-27-2007, 06:14 PM
You still think Led Zep will be there or are you off those drugs?

thelastgreatman
12-27-2007, 06:16 PM
Wanna bet on it, ShyGhey? I got five hundo says they're there.

Botrocker
12-27-2007, 06:17 PM
Kanye is quickly becoming a parody of himself.

thelastgreatman
12-27-2007, 06:23 PM
Maybe they'd bring him back, but he'd be second line, sorry.

ShyGuy75
12-27-2007, 06:25 PM
Wanna bet on it, ShyGhey? I got five hundo says they're there.

I don't want to take that much money from you. I will bet you a gentlemans $20 if you want.

Boourns
12-27-2007, 06:27 PM
I have to give it up to the lastgreatman on this one. Coachella's not about getting some overnight sensation. They're about getting an eclectic mix of musicians whom we(US citizens)would not see if they did not perform at Coachella. While festivals like Bonnaroo and Lollapalozza may have great line ups, neither of them have had New Order and Gang of Four perform in the same afternoon.

Totally. If Lolla or ACL or the Roo actually booked Jarvis Cocker this year, I would've actually gone to one of them.

Botrocker
12-27-2007, 06:32 PM
Totally. If Lolla or ACL or the Roo actually booked Jarvis Cocker this year, I would've actually gone to one of them.

Amen to that!

Dj Oso Fresh
12-27-2007, 06:38 PM
Most reviews of their shows this year havent been too good. Alot of them said that Flava Flav is just a disappointment, he tries to steal the show and stuff like that....

Flava Flav is a Hype man. He's not really a rapper. Just a hype man. and he does his job well. He gets the crowd really hyped up. Its the yin to Chuck D's yang. Its what makes them good live. Chuck D is kind of mellow and he delivers his verses really well, but Flava Flav gets the crowd excited.

I don't think he's trying to steal the show. I just think he wants every single last person in the crowd to get excited about the music. When I saw him he jumped off stage and ran all the way to the top Lawn section and got the crowd up there really excited before returning to the stage to rock the rest of the show.

Check out their performance at Vegoose in the ATTblueroom.

I'm not saying they're Headline material.
but they are pretty awesome.

thelastgreatman
12-27-2007, 06:51 PM
I don't want to take that much money from you. I will bet you a gentlemans $20 if you want.

Deal. Are you back from Chi-town yet?

ShyGuy75
12-27-2007, 06:55 PM
Yes I am. And no, I won't come over and tape you playing with yourself while lying on a brokendoll poster.

thelastgreatman
12-27-2007, 07:03 PM
Does that mean you want me to bring the poster over to your place? Is the tripod still set up from last time, 'cause I got a Hi-Def worthy load ready for Ms. Doll here.

summerkid
12-27-2007, 09:13 PM
no comments on the fact that his mom died and he pretty much has disappeared since around November 10th of this year. Does everyone think that this wouldn't be a factor?

He hasn't made so much as a tabloid appearance and anytime someone asks for an interview his attorney says "the west family would appreciate privacy in the matter." Why would he talk to promoters?

Just a thought.

Well its two different things promoters aren't going to ask him about his mother to sell magazines. He went on to complete his scheduled tour dates even after his mother's death.

summerkid
12-29-2007, 01:22 PM
He's also playing a near sold out show at The Pearl in Las Vegas on New Years Eve. The only tickets available are ones with obstructed views and tickets cost $150-350.

RODGERRAMJET
12-30-2007, 11:59 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing an AC/DC reunion at Coachella--with Bon Scott. And, hell, skip The Smiths if reuniting is that big of an issue. I could settle for Morrissey (solo) on the bill somewhere.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-30-2007, 12:24 PM
Anyone down just for David Byrne?

Botrocker
12-30-2007, 12:29 PM
^^ I sure as hell am!

RODGERRAMJET
12-30-2007, 12:43 PM
Anyone down just for David Byrne?

See my Talking Heads thread elsewhere on the Rumors/Gossip/Wish List. Yes, I wouldn't mind seeing David Byrne solo.

faxman75
12-30-2007, 12:50 PM
This is starting to get strange. I can't even think of one headliner that would be a possibility other than the Foo Fighters and I don't even know their schedule. We could have a weak coachella on our hands. Not that I only care about headliners but it should be interesting to see who gets the gigs.

RODGERRAMJET
12-30-2007, 12:57 PM
This is starting to get strange. I can't even think of one headliner that would be a possibility other than the Foo Fighters and I don't even know their schedule. We could have a weak coachella on our hands. Not that I only care about headliners but it should be interesting to see who gets the gigs.
I'm not willing to give up so soon. I think Golden Voice is going to proverbially smack us upside our collective heads this year with surprises. They've never disappointed me yet. Hang in there!