PDA

View Full Version : I want to talk about Mixing.

Pages : [1] 2

daftmonkey64
08-21-2007, 01:40 PM
So i used to HATE electronica. But ever since attending coachella in '04 i caught the electro bug. Then seeing daft punk took that shit to a whooolllle nuther level. I've played guitar forever, but now that im getting so into this other scene i wanna start spinnin and mixing stuff. any advice you guys would have to someone who wants to start? what equipment, programs, tutorials would help me get started??

ficklecycle
08-21-2007, 01:41 PM
http://www.djrecess.co.uk/forumimages/djcover.jpg

I have this. It was a birthday gift. I don't really look at it. But i'm assuming it has some good info.

marooko
08-21-2007, 01:43 PM
don't spin trance. the best advice you'll ever get.

gaypalmsprings
08-21-2007, 01:47 PM
KitchenAide is more than a mixer. And the attachments are professional quality. Pink is so gay, ya think?

http://mahi.ucsd.edu/rbulow/PERSONAL/WISHES/mixer.jpg

ficklecycle
08-21-2007, 01:49 PM

Agreed.

daftmonkey64
08-21-2007, 01:58 PM

nah i'm not really into trance. my style would either be way chilled out dub beats like thievery corp. or just throw it down and get people jumpin like Justice. I just dont know what kind of equipment i would need, and i dont wanna go spend 1500 bucks on some shit at guitar center i dont even know how to use.

ficklecycle
08-21-2007, 01:59 PM
nah i'm not really into trance. my style would either be way chilled out dub beats like thievery corp. or just throw it down and get people jumpin like Justice. I just dont know what kind of equipment i would need, and i dont wanna go spend 1500 bucks on some shit at guitar center i dont even know how to use.

Get the book i'm telling you. & dont just rely on Justice. You're gonna need some shit you dont hear very much.

marooko
08-21-2007, 02:01 PM
are you serious or do you just wanna check it out?

TomAz
08-21-2007, 02:02 PM
KitchenAide is more than a mixer. And the attachments are professional quality. Pink is so gay, ya think?

http://mahi.ucsd.edu/rbulow/PERSONAL/WISHES/mixer.jpg

The nice thing about the KitchenAid is that you can get meat grinding and sausage stuffing attachments.

daftmonkey64
08-21-2007, 02:04 PM
The nice thing about the KitchenAid is that you can get meat grinding and sausage stuffing attachments.

which i'm sure comes in handy for those lonely, cold winter nights..ey tom?

marooko
08-21-2007, 02:05 PM
if youre not sure, get a kit for like 500 bucks. if youre for real about it, you wanna get technics unless youre gonna scratch it up. if you are you might wanna go numark. but technics with shure neddles will do the trick also. thats decks.

mixer: i have the rane mojo. had it for 7 years. replaced the cross fader once and the cue nob is just starting to bleed. so basically its fucking kick ass. but if youre gonna spend this much, get the rane 44. fucking awesome. whatever you do, dont get a stanton mixer. youre not saving money, youre wasting it.

speakers: depends on your preference of sound quality and what you wanna use them for. home, gig or both.

TomAz
08-21-2007, 02:06 PM
which i'm sure comes in handy for those lonely, cold winter nights..ey tom?

aren't you a clever boy.

daftmonkey64
08-21-2007, 02:08 PM
yes. and sarcasm is like a second language to me, so thank you.

daftmonkey64
08-21-2007, 02:13 PM
if youre not sure, get a kit for like 500 bucks. if youre for real about it, you wanna get technics unless youre gonna scratch it up. if you are you might wanna go numark. but technics with shure neddles will do the trick also. thats decks.

mixer: i have the rane mojo. had it for 7 years. replaced the cross fader once and the cue nob is just starting to bleed. so basically its fucking kick ass. but if youre gonna spend this much, get the rane 44. fucking awesome. whatever you do, dont get a stanton mixer. youre not saving money, youre wasting it.

speakers: depends on your preference of sound quality and what you wanna use them for. home, gig or both.

ok i AM for real about this. but i AM a total noob. now with these do you just mix different tracks together? like from cds? or can you actually put like a keyboard on it. im very confused as to how these djs do stuff

ficklecycle
08-21-2007, 02:17 PM
What DJ's do is they have two cd players going and they play different tracks and usually mash them all up together at times and they fuck around with it on a mixer.

marooko
08-21-2007, 02:20 PM
ok i AM for real about this. but i AM a total noob. now with these do you just mix different tracks together? like from cds? or can you actually put like a keyboard on it. im very confused as to how these djs do stuff

DO YOU WANNA DJ OR PRODUCE MUSIC?

THINK OF A FEW MORE QUESTIONS NOOB. ILL BE BACK AT 3.

What DJ's do is they have two cd players going and they play different tracks and usually mash them all up together at times and they fuck around with it on a mixer.

FUCK YOU. CRAPPY DJS MASH SHIT UP. GOOD DJ'S MIX. AND FUCK CD'S. REAL DJS USE VINYL!!!

DONT MIND THE CAPS. IM SUPPOSED TO BE WORKING.

Trick Loves The Kids
08-21-2007, 02:20 PM
You can go one of three ways: vinyl, CDs, or software only. You can also use something like Serato Scratch Live (google it) that lets you play mp3s but control them like regular vinyl, it's expensive though.

Don't cheap out on equipment. You can get two used Technics 1200s and a mixer for $600-800 depending. 1200s are pretty indestructible.

As for mixing basically all music you'd play is 4/4 so you just need to match the tempos and play them at the same time and viola you're mixing. I can answer more questions I know a lot about this shit.

marooko
08-21-2007, 02:23 PM
You can go one of three ways: vinyl, CDs, or software only. You can also use something like Serato Scratch Live (google it) that lets you play mp3s but control them like regular vinyl, it's expensive though.

Don't cheap out on equipment. You can get two used Technics 1200s and a mixer for $600-800 depending. 1200s are pretty indestructible.

As for mixing basically all music you'd play is 4/4 so you just need to match the tempos and play them at the same time and viola you're mixing. I can answer more questions I know a lot about this shit.

GOOD MAN.

daftmonkey64
08-21-2007, 02:25 PM
DO YOU WANNA DJ OR PRODUCE MUSIC?

whats the difference?

whats a 1200? and whats a 4/4? haha im serious guys learn me some shit.

Trick Loves The Kids
08-21-2007, 02:26 PM
producing is actually making tracks, DJing is playing them.

Technics 1200 turntable, industry standard. 4/4 is when a song has four beats per bar which is what all pop music has

ficklecycle
08-21-2007, 02:26 PM
whats the difference?

Producing music involves making your own shit. Your own beats, your own riffs, everything from scratch and not using other people's shit.

Unless you sample of course.

DJ'ing is just pushing play and matching songs together most of the time.

Well that's how it is now.

marooko
08-21-2007, 02:28 PM
whats the difference?

HOLY FUCK!!

DO YOU WANNA BE TIMBALAND(PRODUCER) OR DIESELBOY(DJ)

1200= TOP OF THE LINE TURNTABLE.

4/4= BEAT COUNT. BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP.

whynotsmile99
08-21-2007, 02:32 PM
I just recently got into this myself, after attending my first Coachella in 04. After my Thailand trip Ill be saving up to get a nice deck.

I bought this book on Amazon and it's really really good. I would give this a shot. Gives a lot of the basic, good entertaining read and lots of tips from pro DJs
Good luck with it all.

http://www.amazon.com/How-DJ-Right-Science-Playing/dp/0802139957/ref=sr_1_1/103-3774694-7643859?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1187731892&sr=8-1

whynotsmile99
08-21-2007, 02:34 PM

what do you recommend to begin with? I was thinking of going vinyl since its a medium i've never really dealt with and is still the standard. plus, I am interested in scratching. Although, I do own many cds that I would have to re buy if i went vinyl

marooko
08-21-2007, 02:39 PM
I RECOMEND VINYL MYSELF. KINDA LIKE DRAFTING, I THINK YOU SHOULD LEARN IT ON THE BOARD BEFORE THE COMPUTER TO GET A REAL UNDERSTANDING OF IT. SO, START WITH THE VINYL TO KEEP A COMPLETE UNDERSTANDING OF THE ART. THEN GO WHERE YOU LIKE.

ficklecycle
08-21-2007, 02:41 PM
I'm looking to save up for some equipment too. Don't know when I'll get it though.

daftmonkey64
08-21-2007, 02:46 PM
I RECOMEND VINYL MYSELF. KINDA LIKE DRAFTING, I THINK YOU SHOULD LEARN IT ON THE BOARD BEFORE THE COMPUTER TO GET A REAL UNDERSTANDING OF IT. SO, START WITH THE VINYL TO KEEP A COMPLETE UNDERSTANDING OF THE ART. THEN GO WHERE YOU LIKE.

ok so what i'm gathering is i need a pair of turntables, such as 1200s. yes? and a mixer to go with em. yes? and then just go out and buy a buncha vinyls or what?

ficklecycle
08-21-2007, 02:52 PM
ok so what i'm gathering is i need a pair of turntables, such as 1200s. yes? and a mixer to go with em. yes? and then just go out and buy a buncha vinyls or what?

I don't think you need 1200's just yet.

thinnerair
08-21-2007, 02:57 PM
where's Jack?

chairmenmeow47
08-21-2007, 02:59 PM
i'm like the only one of my friends who has no interest in djing or producing. but from all of their experiences, i'd say, find a nice dj and/or producer to let you try their shit out first and show you what's up. my roommate produces and has a small studio and he's always showing people how to use the programs and equipment, so i'm sure you can find someone to help you out. personally, it makes more sense to me than going out and buying tons of equipment you may not like or enjoy using.

and vinyl, cds, mp3s, spin whatever the fuck you want. it's just a medium. the music is what matters (unless it's trance, like has already been mentioned =P).

best of luck and long live drum and bass!

marooko
08-21-2007, 03:07 PM
i'm like the only one of my friends who has no interest in djing or producing. but from all of their experiences, i'd say, find a nice dj and/or producer to let you try their shit out first and show you what's up. my roommate produces and has a small studio and he's always showing people how to use the programs and equipment, so i'm sure you can find someone to help you out. personally, it makes more sense to me than going out and buying tons of equipment you may not like or enjoy using.

and vinyl, cds, mp3s, spin whatever the fuck you want. it's just a medium. the music is what matters (unless it's trance, like has already been mentioned =P).

best of luck and long live drum and bass!

very good post right here!!!! also ends well. although im a house head, i have much love for the DnB.

monkey,

it would be great if you have a friend that can show you his/her equipment. BUT!!!!, know when your lesson is over and its time to get your own shit. i hate when im trying to show someone something and then they wanna come over all the time and take up my DJ time. i have no problem teaching, but i do have a problem letting someone use my time dj time.

correct about the medium but im major old school in this sense, im gonna stick to vinyl till the day i die.

marooko
08-21-2007, 03:09 PM
I don't think you need 1200's just yet.

thats why i asked if he was serious about it. soend the money now and you wont have to get something else later. that was my gist with the rane mojo. it was the 1st mixer i ever bought. and the only one. 7 years running now.

ficklecycle
08-21-2007, 03:09 PM
I need myself a teacher.

marooko
08-21-2007, 03:10 PM
we'd rock it at my place if you werent so far.

ficklecycle
08-21-2007, 03:11 PM
That'd always be good. I need to get out of the software joke I'm having to use.

marooko
08-21-2007, 03:12 PM
what do you use?

PotVsKtl
08-21-2007, 03:14 PM
House music is the dick in the ass of America.

thinnerair
if you are looking to do production and writing, then software isn't bad. You can do alot with some programs and a good midi controller.
You can get a decent turntable to sample vinyl and you can mess around with an MPC2000 or something a bit smaller to create beats n stuff like that.
It really depends on what you're looking to do.

ficklecycle
what do you use?

Virtual DJ. Ugh. It's fun and all and entertains me at night but it's not much.

marooko
08-21-2007, 03:15 PM
House music is the dick in the ass of America.

you are pan.

marooko
08-21-2007, 03:15 PM
Virtual DJ. Ugh. It's fun and all and entertains me at night but it's not much.

yeah, you need to let that go.

edit: not till you something else though.

thinnerair
08-21-2007, 03:16 PM
check out Reason. Its a program that isn't too hard to jump right into and you can really involved with it.

marooko
08-21-2007, 03:17 PM
reason is fucking dope, but bank. from amature to expert.

ficklecycle
It's all on the money though. Right now, real equipment is not allowed.

marooko
you have any interest in producing?

thinnerair
08-21-2007, 03:21 PM
It's all on the money though. Right now, real equipment is not allowed.

start off with a small midi controller..like an Oxygen. It's a midi keyboard that you can use to use the sounds in Reason. You can find a demo version of Reason online...check the Propellorhead site or something.

Another program I have heard good things about but am not too familiar with is GoLive. I think Ableton makes it.

Dont just go out and get expensive turntables if youre not 100% sure you want to invest your time and energy into production/mixing.

I have been a musician for a very long time and decided I wanted to get into spinning. I got a pair of 1200s and they just sit in my apartment and take up alot of space...just so I can listen to a few records when I feel like it.
I dont think my Neutral Milk Hotel record has come off my turntable in about 5 months.

ficklecycle
08-21-2007, 03:23 PM
you have any interest in producing?

That's the main interest.

start off with a small midi controller..like an Oxygen. It's a midi keyboard that you can use to use the sounds in Reason. You can find a demo version of Reason online...check the Propellorhead site or something.

I have a good piece of software and I have a keyboard with midi function but just need the proper cables to hook it all up.

marooko
08-21-2007, 03:29 PM
i have pretty decent software.

ficklecycle
08-21-2007, 03:30 PM
If I'm correct, all I need is a UX-16, and two midi cables?

PineapplePete
08-21-2007, 03:32 PM

Another program I have heard good things about but am not too familiar with is GoLive. I think Ableton makes it.

Dont just go out and get expensive turntables if youre not 100% sure you want to invest your time and energy into production/mixing.

I have been a musician for a very long time and decided I wanted to get into spinning. I got a pair of 1200s and they just sit in my apartment and take up alot of space...just so I can listen to a few records when I feel like it.
I dont think my Neutral Milk Hotel record has come off my turntable in about 5 months.

i'll buy em off ya...and a mixer if you have one.

marooko
08-21-2007, 03:34 PM
If I'm correct, all I need is a UX-16, and two midi cables?

TO START.

ficklecycle
08-21-2007, 03:37 PM
I'll do it sometime soon.

marooko
08-21-2007, 03:38 PM
WELL. JUST LET ME KNOW IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO LEARN MORE ABOUT SOFTWARE.

ficklecycle
08-21-2007, 03:38 PM
Hell yeah send me a PM.

PotVsKtl
08-21-2007, 03:40 PM
Idiots.

ficklecycle
08-21-2007, 03:41 PM
Is you.

marooko
08-21-2007, 03:45 PM
POT. GO BOIL SOME FUCKING WATER OR SOMETHING.

Mr. Dylanja
08-21-2007, 04:10 PM
Marooko- Can you give me a quick 101 on how to match/mix beats? I have a little counter that calculates BPM's and I have several of my vinyls labeled, however it just seems or sounds like I can never get it right. I have mostly hip-hop albums and generally the BPM's are between 80 and 90, I know how to slow and speed up the tempo but even if I have to records w/ the exact same BPM's I struggle. Is there a certain point where the songs should be mixed both on the song playing a the song about to be played? Is there a certain beat in particular to switch over on or since its the same tempo any will do as long as its matched? Sorry to bug, but I would appreciate any help, Thx.

marooko
08-21-2007, 04:20 PM
wow. ok. first off, throw away your beat counter. (not really just dont use it). ive never had success with these.

one thing that can really help is to get 2 records that are the same or that have the same BMP. start them out at the regular speed (0/0) and play them at the same time. that will give you a feel for how it should sound. then you can start using different records and get the same effect. you can also use this to add an echo or flange effect. but thats a little bit down the line.

ususally you wanna mix the song out as its breaking down and bring the other one in as its building up. when you get better youll hear different places to do diff. things. just becareful not to cross vocals unless youre a badass and are making something out of it.

let me know how it works out. i can give more tips.

Mr. Dylanja
08-21-2007, 04:24 PM
Yeah, thanks man I think mostly I just need to get off my lazy ass and practice more. How long did it take you before you really felt like you had a good feel for mixing? What type of music do you spin?

marooko
08-21-2007, 04:27 PM
i spin house. ive been playing for about 7 years and felt comfortable after about 1 year. but i wasnt putting in the time required.

marooko
08-21-2007, 04:31 PM
i just have to say, im pretty fucking excited about this thread.

ficklecycle
08-21-2007, 04:34 PM
Me too haha.

xbnmx
08-21-2007, 04:46 PM
I am very new to this but here's the conclusion I came to after extensive research. Vinyl, CD, any medium really, is obsolete. This is indicated not just by the worlds leading DJs moving away from them but also by society as a whole (how many record players or walkmen do you see)? I recomend using a laptop running Ableton or Traktor being controlled by a MiDi/USB mixer such as this fine one from Allen & Heath I acquired:
http://www.allen-heath.com/AHImages/Xone_3D.jpg

marooko
08-21-2007, 04:55 PM
YOU ARE CORRECT WITH THIS CONCLUSION. but some of us will never let vinyl die. NEVER!!!

i could get more gigs if i would play cd's. as a matter-o-fact i could play stuff that only a select few people have like many dj's that play cd's. but to me, there is no feeling or sound like vinyl. ill play it till i die.

daftmonkey64
08-21-2007, 04:56 PM
as am I. cant wait to get it together. I wont have money for a while though since im saving for my eurotrip. I just wish i could find someone to show me the ropes like you were sayin

marooko
08-21-2007, 04:58 PM
also daft. someone told me a long time ago, if you wanna be a good DJ. you have to put in at least 2 hours a day. i dont think he was lying.

fatbastard
08-21-2007, 06:06 PM
wow. ok. first off, throw away your beat counter. (not really just dont use it). ive never had success with these.

one thing that can really help is to get 2 records that are the same or that have the same BMP. start them out at the regular speed (0/0) and play them at the same time. that will give you a feel for how it should sound. then you can start using different records and get the same effect. you can also use this to add an echo or flange effect. but thats a little bit down the line.

ususally you wanna mix the song out as its breaking down and bring the other one in as its building up. when you get better youll hear different places to do diff. things. just becareful not to cross vocals unless youre a badass and are making something out of it.

let me know how it works out. i can give more tips.

The key here is to spend time allowing both records with similar BPM to play at the same time (via your mixer). Focus on which one of the songs you want to play and which one you want to fade out to stop playing. Use your fingers to slow down and speed up the beat on the turntable of the song you want to play.

Let's say turntable 1 has the song your trying to mix in and turntable 2 is the current song that is going to end. You may slow it down so much that you may actually stop the turntable from moving. Don't worry about it. Let go and allow it to start playing again. You may be able to get the first song (turntable 1) to play at the same beat as the second song (turntable 2) for a moment but then it stops. Use your fingers to move the album across the needle. Listen for a beat. Once you find a beat, move it back and forth so that you can hear it. Then move it back and forth so that it your doing it to the beat of the second song.

Once you have done this for at least 10 times, let go at the same time you hear a beat on turntable 2. Does the song start playing at the same speed but then it slows down? You may have to increase the speed of turntable 1 utilizing the pitch control (the lever on the turntable console with the green light that makes the song go slower or faster). If the song is playing faster than turntable 2, use the pitch control to slow down turntable 1.

Once you have made the adjustment, try again. See if you can get both songs to play at the same time. Once you do, see how long you can do it for.

Last thing. Try to mix. Find a bridge or a break in which you can transition from one song to the next. Try to mix a new song (turntable 1) in as an existing song is coming close to the end (turntable 2). Not too quick, not too slow, just enough for it to "mix".

Mr. Dylanja
08-21-2007, 06:22 PM
Awesome thx! Will try when I get home.

daftmonkey64
08-21-2007, 07:56 PM
The key here is to spend time allowing both records with similar BPM to play at the same time (via your mixer). Focus on which one of the songs you want to play and which one you want to fade out to stop playing. Use your fingers to slow down and speed up the beat on the turntable of the song you want to play.

Let's say turntable 1 has the song your trying to mix in and turntable 2 is the current song that is going to end. You may slow it down so much that you may actually stop the turntable from moving. Don't worry about it. Let go and allow it to start playing again. You may be able to get the first song (turntable 1) to play at the same beat as the second song (turntable 2) for a moment but then it stops. Use your fingers to move the album across the needle. Listen for a beat. Once you find a beat, move it back and forth so that you can hear it. Then move it back and forth so that it your doing it to the beat of the second song.

Once you have done this for at least 10 times, let go at the same time you hear a beat on turntable 2. Does the song start playing at the same speed but then it slows down? You may have to increase the speed of turntable 1 utilizing the pitch control (the lever on the turntable console with the green light that makes the song go slower or faster). If the song is playing faster than turntable 2, use the pitch control to slow down turntable 1.

Once you have made the adjustment, try again. See if you can get both songs to play at the same time. Once you do, see how long you can do it for.

Last thing. Try to mix. Find a bridge or a break in which you can transition from one song to the next. Try to mix a new song (turntable 1) in as an existing song is coming close to the end (turntable 2). Not too quick, not too slow, just enough for it to "mix".

k another noob ass question. So when you see djs twistin knobs and flipping switches, how is that affecting the mix. i know that sounds retarded

Deviate_420
08-21-2007, 08:19 PM
Being a good dj is probably one of the hardest things in the world to do.

marooko
08-21-2007, 08:53 PM
there is sooooo much more to being a dj than mixing alone. although good tracks and good mixing will blow the majority of people away.

Mr.Nipples
08-21-2007, 08:57 PM
"Fuck digital. The future lies with the analog loyalists"-steve

marooko
08-21-2007, 09:04 PM
"Fuck digital. The future lies with the analog loyalists"-steve

im down wit dat.

daftmonkey64
08-21-2007, 09:08 PM
the fuck is analog?

orbit
08-21-2007, 09:08 PM
YOU ARE CORRECT WITH THIS CONCLUSION. but some of us will never let vinyl die. NEVER!!!

i could get more gigs if i would play cd's. as a matter-o-fact i could play stuff that only a select few people have like many dj's that play cd's. but to me, there is no feeling or sound like vinyl. ill play it till i die.

Get serato and be happy.

ficklecycle
08-21-2007, 10:01 PM
Being a good dj is probably one of the hardest things in the world to do.

It seems so.

Tylerdurden31
08-21-2007, 10:05 PM
and whats a 4/4?

fuckin guitarists....

as a drummer, i'm offended that you're asking.

marooko
08-22-2007, 08:06 AM
Get serato and be happy.

oh man i know. serrano peppers are bad ass.

marooko
08-22-2007, 08:08 AM
k another noob ass question. So when you see djs twistin knobs and flipping switches, how is that affecting the mix. i know that sounds retarded

depending on what knobs and equipment, they can be tweaking the bass, mids or highs. they might be panning or adding an effect. depends.

invisiblerobots
08-22-2007, 09:36 AM
The wedding/bar mitzvha scene is where it's at. Be sure to always have two copies of Electric Slide in your crate. A subwoofer is key.
http://www.sanjosedj.com/images/equip-2c.jpg

jackstraw94086
08-22-2007, 10:09 AM
I am very new to this but here's the conclusion I came to after extensive research. Vinyl, CD, any medium really, is obsolete. This is indicated not just by the worlds leading DJs moving away from them but also by society as a whole (how many record players or walkmen do you see)? I recomend using a laptop running Ableton or Traktor being controlled by a MiDi/USB mixer such as this fine one from Allen & Heath I acquired:
http://www.allen-heath.com/AHImages/Xone_3D.jpg

how exactly did you acquire that $3000 mixer?

And media formats are hardly obsolete.

marooko
08-22-2007, 10:12 AM
http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/5144/dsc0022gd2.jpg

jackstraw94086
08-22-2007, 10:14 AM
double breasted.... snazzzzzyyyyy

marooko
08-22-2007, 10:17 AM
thanks, thats me as ricky ricardo, halloween 05' in concord.

fatbastard
08-22-2007, 11:15 AM
thanks, thats me as ricky ricardo, halloween 05' in concord.

I like the tie. It pulls it all together.

Mr.Nipples
08-22-2007, 11:23 AM
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t39/RetardoTronFiveThousand/georgezimmer.jpg

marooko
08-22-2007, 12:03 PM
I like the tie. It pulls it all together.

thank you.

i had a pretty bad ass night, that night. played in a new city, made new friends and had a blast. all was well.

marooko
08-22-2007, 12:03 PM
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t39/RetardoTronFiveThousand/georgezimmer.jpg

if i could grow facial hair i would totally be this guy. whoever he is.

Mr.Nipples
08-22-2007, 12:05 PM
he's george zimmer, founder and president of the mens wearhouse...hes actually a strong supporter of ecstacy so i think he would be familiar with being behind the decks somewhat...

Ill_Eagle
08-22-2007, 12:19 PM

or you can just use serato and get more gigs using vinyl.

Ill_Eagle
08-22-2007, 12:20 PM
Also,

*Paging superfiction to thread*

I was talking to him about DJ gear in the chat last night and he knew his shit.

jackstraw94086
08-22-2007, 12:31 PM

huh?

Ill_Eagle
08-22-2007, 12:41 PM
<3
http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/7857/sslcontentsjp1.jpg

ficklecycle
08-22-2007, 12:41 PM
Explain.

Ill_Eagle
08-22-2007, 12:54 PM
Straight from their website:

Scratch LIVE is the ultimate software and hardware solution for bridging the analog world of vinyl and the digital world of computer audio files. Using regular turntables or CD players, you can scratch and mix files from your Mac or Windows computer's CD or hard drive, add in a live mic input for scratching, and even bypass to standard vinyl if you wish. Scratch LIVE is the complete digital solution for the vinyl junkie -- take your entire collection wherever you go and leave your precious vinyl at home!

higgybaby23
08-22-2007, 12:55 PM
I have been DJing for 8+ years. Started out doing simple radio DJing, then moved to clubs and parties. I spin a little bit of everything, but prefer old school funk/electro to get the dance floor moving. I always prefer vinyl, but will play CDs if necessary.

The best advice I can give anyone interested in DJing is practice. It won't matter how expensive of a soundsystem you own or how great your music collection is if you don't practice.

I also feel most DJs don't take any real chances. Don't be afraid to experiment. Most electronic DJs I've seen are so scared of trainwrecking that their mixes are supremely boring.

Last thing: Why do you want to DJ? If you are doing it for any reason other than personal enjoyment, prepare to be disappointed. DJs are a dime a dozen and the world doesn't need any more ego driven musicians.

marooko
08-22-2007, 01:04 PM

"but to me, there is no feeling or sound like vinyl. ill play it till i die." My job pays my bills. I DJ because I love it, not to get gigs and be cool. I have no use for serato. Serrano peppers on the other hand.....

<3
http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/7857/sslcontentsjp1.jpg

so much money for so much crap.

I have been DJing for 8+ years. Started out doing simple radio DJing, then moved to clubs and parties. I spin a little bit of everything, but prefer old school funk/electro to get the dance floor moving. I always prefer vinyl, but will play CDs if necessary.

The best advice I can give anyone interested in DJing is practice. It won't matter how expensive of a soundsystem you own or how great your music collection is if you don't practice.

I also feel most DJs don't take any real chances. Don't be afraid to experiment. Most electronic DJs I've seen are so scared of trainwrecking that their mixes are supremely boring.

Last thing: Why do you want to DJ? If you are doing it for any reason other than personal enjoyment, prepare to be disappointed. DJs are a dime a dozen and the world doesn't need any more ego driven musicians.

the last one is such a great freaking point. i could have stopped being a dj the first time i played out. it was a small house party, i remember looking up and seeing like 12-15 people dancing, i was soooo freaking nervous. that was all i ever wnated and i got it my first time out. fucking amazing. the feeling i get, watching people dance to the music im playing is better than any high ive ever felt.

ficklecycle
08-22-2007, 01:11 PM

Personal enjoyment for sure.

Ill_Eagle
08-22-2007, 01:12 PM
Well it sounded like you would've liked more gigs. So I'm sorry if I posted a solution to your non-existent problem.

ficklecycle
08-22-2007, 01:46 PM
http://www.cuesa.org/html-email-images/serrano_peppers.jpg

Mr. Dylanja
08-22-2007, 01:47 PM
What are the best type of needles for scratching?
What is the difference between scratching and mixing needles?

chairmenmeow47
08-22-2007, 01:59 PM
and when you get gigs, don't start sending out mass text invites to all your friends at 11 o'clock on a tuesday night. that's a paddlin...

http://ivy.aholic.us/gallery/albums/internet-pics/thats_a_paddlin.jpg

rage patton
08-22-2007, 02:00 PM

I know this guy who wants to start DJing just so he can get chicks. His goal in life is to be like Tiesto. A couple years ago he picked up a guitar and said he wanted to be the next John Mayer and/or James Blunt.

ficklecycle
08-22-2007, 02:07 PM
Why would anyone want to be like Tiesto?

invisiblerobots
08-22-2007, 02:09 PM
http://www.8ball.co.uk/productimages/22946-2.jpg

marooko
08-22-2007, 02:13 PM
Well it sounded like you would've liked more gigs. So I'm sorry if I posted a solution to your non-existent problem.

Sorry, I thought you were just trying to push serato on me.

scratch needles hold on better and both pick up different sound frequencies.

http://www.8ball.co.uk/productimages/22946-2.jpg

this is funny.

Ill_Eagle
08-22-2007, 02:41 PM

Shure M44-7

http://www.polymix-dj.com/catalog/images/DSH-M44-7-H-B.jpg

ficklecycle
08-22-2007, 02:44 PM
That is one high tech needle.

rage patton
08-22-2007, 02:48 PM
Why would anyone want to be like Tiesto?

Because he's a douche?

ficklecycle
08-22-2007, 02:49 PM
Also the second coming of christ.

marooko
08-22-2007, 02:51 PM
this is my dream mixer.

http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/4835/mp44fpjk5.jpg

i need to go have some alone time after looking at this.

ficklecycle
08-22-2007, 02:53 PM
Dead link.

jackstraw94086
08-22-2007, 02:58 PM
Straight from their website:

I know what serato is, but I'm still confused about your comment about how he can get gigs by using serato when the reason he's not getting many gigs is because he plays vinyl and the venues only have CDJs. His problem is the music itself. What the hell good is serato going to do him if his music is on vinyl?

also, having to set up serato at a club is a fucking pain in the ass. You're not going to show up and start putting that mess together while another DJ is playing.

jackstraw94086
08-22-2007, 03:00 PM
this is my dream mixer.

This is the mixer in the upstairs room of 1015 Folsom. I hate it.
The curves on those faders and levels are too damn steep.

marooko
08-22-2007, 03:02 PM
Dead link.
fixed

I know what serato is, but I'm still confused about your comment about how he can get gigs by using serato when the reason he's not getting many gigs is because he plays vinyl and the venues only have CDJs.

What the hell good is serato going to do him if his music is on vinyl?

We watched this DJ playing on serato and it was depressing. He was having a conversation with his friends and shit, then when it came time to mix a track, he just brought it in. It was tremendously smooth, flawless mixing, but no feeling at all. we left immediatley after we had our (1) drink.

edit: not ment towards you jack, just saying something about serato.

marooko
08-22-2007, 03:04 PM
This is the mixer in the upstairs room of 1015 Folsom. I hate it.
The curves on those faders and levels are too damn steep.

what i dont like about i,t is when im mixing on channel 4, i always hit the fucking master. ive played on it a few times, i like it myself. better for house, prob not for breaks. you dj?, im guessing.

daftmonkey64
08-22-2007, 03:06 PM
ok hears another question. HEADPHONES?? are you listening to the track ahead of time? like a delay between the headphones and the actual output? que pasa?

jackstraw94086
fixed

We watched this DJ playing on serato and it was depressing. He was having a conversation with his friends and shit, then when it came time to mix a track, he just brought it in. It was tremendously smooth, flawless mixing, but no feeling at all. we left immediatley after we had our (1) drink.

edit: not ment towards you jack, just saying something about serato.

I'm not offended at all. I don't like serato either. If you're going to play off a laptop then fucking play off a laptop. Just like you observed of that guy, the laptop is doing most of the work. If you're just playing DJ produced house tracks then I don't see the point.

daftmonkey64
this is my dream mixer.

why?

marooko
08-22-2007, 03:07 PM
when you have the headphones on, youre usually listening to the record youre gonna mix in. then i sometimes switch back and forth when in the middle of a mix. just to listen to exactly whats going on in each track. but no, no delay.

ficklecycle
08-22-2007, 03:08 PM
ok hears another question. HEADPHONES?? are you listening to the track ahead of time? like a delay between the headphones and the actual output? que pasa?

Basically. You're listening to the track you're trying to work in next.

marooko
08-22-2007, 03:09 PM
I don't like serato either. [QUOTE]

im aware, just didnt want any confusion.

[QUOTE=daftmonkey64;278121]why?

because its got all the features i want. also i think it fits the way i mix very well.

ficklecycle
08-22-2007, 03:10 PM
Hey I have a question. Is it the mixer or turntable/cd player that has the loop function if any?

marooko
08-22-2007, 03:11 PM
all of the above depending on the maker. also, some people use samplers.

im pretty sure numark makes a deck that samples. most cdj's do.

ficklecycle
08-22-2007, 03:13 PM
& what exactly is a sampler?

marooko
08-22-2007, 03:17 PM
basically samples sound. some have effects built in amongst other stuff.

i saw this guy, i think his name was jason-c or something, he used a sampler while slowing down a record, played the sample, played the record backwards, sampled that, then mixed that sample in and then mixed the record back in normally. fucking bad ass break down, i was trippin.

ficklecycle
08-22-2007, 03:18 PM
So it's useful for in the middle of a mix? Like if you want a certain part to repeat over and over again?

marooko
08-22-2007, 03:20 PM
or you can sample vocals and such and bring them in whenever. ive also seen it used when someone forgot the track was about to end, sampled a 4 count, played it, then mixed out. useful anytime you wanna bring in a new sound or vocal or anything of the sort.

did you get the last email i sent you?

jackstraw94086
08-22-2007, 03:21 PM
So it's useful for in the middle of a mix? Like if you want a certain part to repeat over and over again?

pretty much all CDJ's have a looping feater on them. Some you have to cut your own loops, some use an internal beat counter to automatically create a loop of a certain number of bars and then allow you to cut the loop by halves with one touch.

The automatic loop cutters usually suck though unless it's house music.

jackstraw94086
08-22-2007, 03:23 PM
or you can sample vocals and such and bring them in whenever. ive also seen it used when someone forgot the track was about to end, sampled a 4 count, played it, then mixed out. useful anytime you wanna bring in a new sound or vocal or anything of the sort.

the CDJ200's have a one-touch emergeny loop feature so which pulls the last 4 bars I think. God help the DJ who really needs that though.

ficklecycle
08-22-2007, 03:24 PM

Yeah I barely noticed it I'll reply right now.

ficklecycle
08-22-2007, 03:26 PM
pretty much all CDJ's have a looping feater on them. Some you have to cut your own loops, some use an internal beat counter to automatically create a loop of a certain number of bars and then allow you to cut the loop by halves with one touch.

The automatic loop cutters usually suck though unless it's house music.

How does cutting your own work? Does it have like a button of where you want it to start and where you want it to end and then it just keeps repeating?

fatbastard
08-22-2007, 03:41 PM
Old school
http://www.popschoolmaastricht.nl/images/dj_numark_mixer.jpg
Console with sample effects
http://www.streetswing.com/shop/electronics/dj/gifs/lrgif/numark_dxm06_mixer.jpg

I don't know if anyone remembers (or cares) but mixers use to be attached at the top of the same rack mount that your amps were on. This gave you the feeling like you were mixing on a wall.

marooko
08-22-2007, 03:43 PM
the CDJ200's have a one-touch emergeny loop feature so which pulls the last 4 bars I think. God help the DJ who really needs that though.

seriously.

jackstraw94086
08-22-2007, 03:52 PM
Old school
http://www.popschoolmaastricht.nl/images/dj_numark_mixer.jpg
Console with sample effects
http://www.streetswing.com/shop/electronics/dj/gifs/lrgif/numark_dxm06_mixer.jpg

I don't know if anyone remembers (or cares) but mixers use to be attached at the top of the same rack mount that your amps were on. This gave you the feeling like you were mixing on a wall.

what on earth are you talking about? rack mounted mixers still exist, there's a difference between those and DJ mixers. What DJ did you ever see trying to mix on regular mixer attached to an upright rack? Go kick him in the nuts.

marooko
08-22-2007, 03:56 PM
What DJ did you ever see trying to mix on regular mixer attached to an upright rack? Go kick him in the nuts.

this demands an lol.

fatbastard
08-22-2007, 03:59 PM
what on earth are you talking about? rack mounted mixers still exist, there's a difference between those and DJ mixers. What DJ did you ever see trying to mix on regular mixer attached to an upright rack? Go kick him in the nuts.

I'm telling you, most DJ's played off an upright mixer mounted on a rack. I'll mention only one club due to being embarrased for being so damm old.

Gino's II

Trust me. I'm not making this up.

marooko
08-22-2007, 04:00 PM
I'm telling you, most DJ's played off an upright mixer mounted on a rack. I'll mention only one club due to being embarrased for being so damm old.

Gino's II

you know, i was gonna say im not that old, but i figured id let you go on that. i think i know what you mean though.

marooko
08-22-2007, 04:46 PM
How does cutting your own work? Does it have like a button of where you want it to start and where you want it to end and then it just keeps repeating?

well, you start and stop the loop where you want it, when doing your own. then you play it as you wish and stop it as you wish.

if youve ever listened to mark farina's oceans cd, he plays a lot of samples in that.

unconscious...unconscious therapy. 360 degress, that kinda thing.

i would love to dance to this.....

its fucking dope.

ficklecycle
08-22-2007, 04:48 PM
I'll check it out.

jackstraw94086
08-22-2007, 04:52 PM

Gino's II

you may not be making up your experience, but the dude you saw in the pizzeria or whatever the hell Gino's II is wasn't playing off of dj equipment regardless of how long ago it happened. I doubt it was a DJ mixer, which have existed pretty much since the beginning of the dj culture.

The type of mixer you're probably describing still exists today. It's not that they went away, they're just used for other purposes, and that club you were at was run by a bunch of cheap assholes.

marooko
08-22-2007, 08:19 PM
so jack, do you spin?

daftmonkey64
08-23-2007, 06:45 PM
ok. noobs back. So for someone like myself, who has never spun. If I were thinking of doing vinyl. And from what I gather i'm lookin at two turntables and a mixer.

1. what would be the best equipment (price wise and skill wise)

2. What kinda vinyls? (should i just go out looking for all my favorite house music?)

3. Amp? (would a guitar amp work?) headphones (whats some good ones)

daftmonkey64
08-23-2007, 07:12 PM
like say i got a cheap setup like this

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/msg/399136993.html

what else do i need?

jackstraw94086
08-23-2007, 09:07 PM
ok. noobs back. So for someone like myself, who has never spun. If I were thinking of doing vinyl. And from what I gather i'm lookin at two turntables and a mixer.

2. What kinda vinyls? (should i just go out looking for all my favorite house music?)

1. no comment

2. You're really not sure what kind of music to buy? Really? You want to DJ but you're not sure what kind music you want to spin?

Really?

3. don't use a guitar amp.

daftmonkey64
08-23-2007, 09:12 PM
completely misunderstood all of my questions, but thanks..dick.

ficklecycle
08-23-2007, 09:25 PM
I'm not too sure if a DJ mixer works the same was as a mixer for vocals, but usually, mixers are plugged into speakers not amps which require a few cables.

marooko
08-23-2007, 10:06 PM

1.tuff call, how much do you have to spend?

2.jack is kinda right. i say kinda because i thought i wanted to spin drum and bass, but at the time it was waaaaaaayyyy too exciting for me. so you have to have some kind of idea what you wanna spin.

3.jacks answer. headphones, depends on what sound you use to mix and your own overall preference in sound.

really some of the best advice given was to check out a friends gear first.

1. no comment

2. You're really not sure what kind of music to buy? Really? You want to DJ but you're not sure what kind music you want to spin?

Really?

3. don't use a guitar amp.

too good to answer a direct question jack?

ficklecycle
08-23-2007, 11:09 PM
I can't wait man.

jackstraw94086
08-23-2007, 11:16 PM
completely misunderstood all of my questions, but thanks..dick.

no actually I really didn't misunderstand. The question seems very revealing. People generally start buying gear because of a passion for the music from the outset. You can hear it in your head and the gear is a tool to make it happen. It sounds like you want to spin for spinning's sake if you're not even sure what it is you want to spin.

You'll give it up within 6 months.

jackstraw94086
08-23-2007, 11:19 PM
I'm not too sure if a DJ mixer works the same was as a mixer for vocals, but usually, mixers are plugged into speakers not amps which require a few cables.

you cannot simply plug a mixer into regular speakers. A mixer just puts out an audio signal, it does need to be amplified somehow. You need either powered monitors or run the audio out to a receiver or something which then goes out to regular speakers.

yer gonna need cables.

full on idle
08-23-2007, 11:20 PM
oi my cables

jackstraw94086
08-23-2007, 11:21 PM
too good to answer a direct question jack?

that question? sure.

This thread is hilarious.

ficklecycle
08-23-2007, 11:26 PM
you cannot simply plug a mixer into regular speakers. A mixer just puts out an audio signal, it does need to be amplified somehow. You need either powered monitors or run the audio out to a receiver or something which then goes out to regular speakers.

yer gonna need cables.

So let's say I have two JBL speakers that I use for my vocal mixer. The speakers need to be plugged into their own outlet for power and they get the sound from the mixer via some cables that are pretty similar to normal instrument cables.

Is that sort of the way it works with a DJ mixer and speakers?

jackstraw94086
08-23-2007, 11:35 PM
So let's say I have two JBL speakers that I use for my vocal mixer. The speakers need to be plugged into their own outlet for power and they get the sound from the mixer via some cables that are pretty similar to normal instrument cables.

Is that sort of the way it works with a DJ mixer and speakers?

If you have to plug in those JBLs then they are powered monitors and those will work. Speakers that you simply hook up with the black and red tagged speaker wire will not on their own. Most mixers these days have left and right XLR master outs and RCA secondary outs. I'm assuming if your JBL is powered it has an XLR jack on it (like a mic cable). If you're talking about 1/4" jacks like those used on guitars then you'll probably have to concoct some sort of adapter scheme unless your mixer happens to have those, but they're not common.

ficklecycle
08-23-2007, 11:46 PM
If you have to plug in those JBLs then they are powered monitors and those will work. Speakers that you simply hook up with the black and red tagged speaker wire will not on their own. Most mixers these days have left and right XLR master outs and RCA secondary outs. I'm assuming if your JBL is powered it has an XLR jack on it (like a mic cable). If you're talking about 1/4" jacks like those used on guitars then you'll probably have to concoct some sort of adapter scheme unless your mixer happens to have those, but they're not common.

The jacks on the speakers on 1/4". So what are the jacks usually on a mixer? XLR master outs and RCA secondary outs? What kind of cables are those? Mic cables?

jackstraw94086
08-23-2007, 11:56 PM
The jacks on the speakers on 1/4". So what are the jacks usually on a mixer? XLR master outs and RCA secondary outs? What kind of cables are those? Mic cables?

XLR jacks are the circular ones with the three prongs inside (male end).
Pioneers used to be the club standards and had no 1/4" outs but I think the Allen & Heaths, which are pretty much the new club standard, may have them.

Either way you can always use adapters and rig it up however you want.

ficklecycle
08-23-2007, 11:59 PM
What about the CD players/turntables? What jacks do those use? 1/4"?

jackstraw94086
08-24-2007, 12:01 AM
What about the CD players/turntables? What jacks do those use? 1/4"?

those connect to the mixer via RCA (the red(right)and white(left) single prong cables)

ficklecycle
08-24-2007, 12:04 AM
Okay with all this you're giving me and looking up images of mixers and cd players I've got the basics down on how to connect everything.

Thanks a bunch, looks like I'll need to start saving.

PineapplePete
08-24-2007, 02:44 AM
this question is open to anyone:

i want to be able to sample my tracks live, not just program my sampler at home. is this possible with a sampler? like...can i run my turntables through a sampler and from the sampler to the moniters? will i be able to give my sampler its own channel on the mixer?

also...i have an eclectic taste in music...and i was wondering if people would get pissed off if i dropped some Fiddy then went into Junior Senior or Head Automatica?

daftmonkey64
08-24-2007, 08:18 AM
just found a friend of a friend who is a dj. He's gunna show me some shit today. sooooo stoked right now.

marooko
08-24-2007, 08:20 AM
this question is open to anyone:

i want to be able to sample my tracks live, not just program my sampler at home. is this possible with a sampler? like...can i run my turntables through a sampler and from the sampler to the moniters? will i be able to give my sampler its own channel on the mixer?

also...i have an eclectic taste in music...and i was wondering if people would get pissed off if i dropped some Fiddy then went into Junior Senior or Head Automatica?

you would run your sampler through the mixer. you plug your decks into the mixer, you use an aux out to your sampler (low end mixers might not have these features) that way your sampler will be picking up whatever sound comes through the mixer.

about the ecleectic mix, theres always a time and a place. dont be dropping junior senior when someone books you for house. but then again if thats your style youll be looking for those kind of bookings. its kinda like when im rocking out and someone comes and ask me for fiddy. FUCK OFF!! its just rude.

there are always exceptions though. i saw Polywog drop the stones' "you cant always get what you want" because some fuckheads kept screaming for her to play hardcore.

also about the pulgs, XLR, 1/4". my mojo has 1/4" and RCA. some mixers are set up this way.

marooko
08-24-2007, 08:20 AM
just found a friend of a friend who is a dj. He's gunna show me some shit today. sooooo stoked right now.

good. listen, then ask questions.

marooko
08-24-2007, 08:21 AM
that question? sure.

This thread is hilarious.

wrong question smarty pants.

jackstraw94086
08-24-2007, 08:39 AM
wrong question smarty pants.

You quoted my response to a specific question and then accuse me of responding to that one instead of some other one?

Here's a handful of answers for you. Take your pick and save the rest for later.

yeah.
sure.
fuck off.
absolutely.
sometimes.
sorta.
never have.
balsamic vinagrette.
every other Friday.
blue.
midgets.
New York.
I don't know.
all the time.
40R.
I'll get back to you.

ficklecycle
08-24-2007, 08:54 AM
Let's keep this gentleman-esque?

marooko
08-24-2007, 08:59 AM
You quoted my response to a specific question and then accuse me of responding to that one instead of some other one?

Here's a handful of answers for you. Take your pick and save the rest for later.

yeah.
sure.
fuck off.
absolutely.
sometimes.
sorta.
never have.
balsamic vinagrette.
every other Friday.
blue.
midgets.
New York.
I don't know.
all the time.
40R.
I'll get back to you.

i was gonna re-ask the specific question, but i thought no, he's smart enough to figure it out.......

why would i ask "too good to answer a direct question jack?" and be refering to that question? that makes no sense.

ficklecycle
08-24-2007, 09:36 AM
I want my damn software already ha ha.

marooko
08-24-2007, 10:05 AM
I want my damn software already ha ha.

ill be sending it out monday. you should have it by next friday. i have a crazy busy weekend. we're getting ready to move, gotta work OT, watching the fights tomorrow, yard work blah blah blah...........

PineapplePete
08-24-2007, 10:25 AM
marooko...what are you givin this kid?

ficklecycle
08-24-2007, 10:30 AM
ill be sending it out monday. you should have it by next friday. i have a crazy busy weekend. we're getting ready to move, gotta work OT, watching the fights tomorrow, yard work blah blah blah...........

That's fine with me man I understand don't worry. I'm pretty excited though.

marooko
08-24-2007, 10:47 AM
PP, its MAROOKO on the board. an edit would be appreciated.

marooko
08-24-2007, 12:02 PM
marooko...what are you givin this kid?

thank you sir.

did you get my last PM to you?

PineapplePete
08-24-2007, 12:25 PM
ya, the one about the gear? im trying to figure out if i can scrounge up $1200 cuz that deal is indeed awesome. It has everything i want, including the sampler...but im not sure i can afford it and im scared im gonna have to give it up later on. im totally sure i wanna do this and im not gonna give it up as long as my schedule permits...but $1200 is a lot....meh mabye i'll be able to sell it again for $1,200

i'll prolly end up buying the one for $450 and purchasing speakers and a sampler later. i just wanna see how it goezzzz.

i have a friend who dj's but he's ALWAYS stoned and it gets really annoying cuz he cant remember shit and all he ever talks about is how high he is. so going over to try his shit out is kinda out of the question. but, understand, i really, really wanna do this. which do you suggest?

marooko
08-24-2007, 01:12 PM
ya, the one about the gear? im trying to figure out if i can scrounge up $1200 cuz that deal is indeed awesome. It has everything i want, including the sampler...but im not sure i can afford it and im scared im gonna have to give it up later on. im totally sure i wanna do this and im not gonna give it up as long as my schedule permits...but $1200 is a lot....meh mabye i'll be able to sell it again for $1,200

i'll prolly end up buying the one for $450 and purchasing speakers and a sampler later. i just wanna see how it goezzzz.

i have a friend who dj's but he's ALWAYS stoned and it gets really annoying cuz he cant remember shit and all he ever talks about is how high he is. so going over to try his shit out is kinda out of the question. but, understand, i really, really wanna do this. which do you suggest?

i say go the cheaper route and just get some hme speakers. that way you dont spend so much and if you give it up well, not much is lost.

Mr. Dylanja
08-24-2007, 01:13 PM
Newbee question #3549821647 how should the needle be on the record? I'm talking about the weight (don't know the name, sorry) that you twist that adjust how heavy it sits on the wax. Sorry guys I know its terrible and I am embarrassed to ask.

Marooko what are all these PM's? I've got 1200's and a vestax mixer but would be interested in a sampler if you're looking to get rid of one.....

Tylerdurden31
08-24-2007, 01:16 PM
What's 4/4?

ficklecycle
08-24-2007, 01:20 PM
What's 4/4?

Isn't that something that has to do with beats?

hawkingvsreeve
08-24-2007, 01:25 PM
The first 4 indicates how many beats are in a measure. The second 4 indicates what note gets the beat. So in the case of 4/4, there are four beats per measure, counted in quarter notes.

Yep.

ficklecycle
08-24-2007, 01:31 PM
Same as drumming.

Tylerdurden31
08-24-2007, 01:40 PM
The first 4 indicates how many beats are in a measure. The second 4 indicates what note gets the beat. So in the case of 4/4, there are four beats per measure, counted in quarter notes.

Yep.

thanks brandon ;)

marooko
08-24-2007, 03:04 PM
Newbee question #3549821647 how should the needle be on the record? I'm talking about the weight (don't know the name, sorry) that you twist that adjust how heavy it sits on the wax. Sorry guys I know its terrible and I am embarrassed to ask.

Marooko what are all these PM's? I've got 1200's and a vestax mixer but would be interested in a sampler if you're looking to get rid of one.....

you feeling left out dylan? should i send you a PM also?

anyway, you should not be thinking about a sampler right now. (NIETHER SHOULD YOU PP) DJing simply with 2 decks and your mixer can get very involved. its up to you. you should get the basics down first.

dont feel bad about not knowing how to adjust the weights on your decks, many dj's dont know how. its pretty close to a science if you wanna get down to it. i go by this, diff, needles, diff. styles require diff. wieghts. adjust to what works for you. also, when you buy needles, they ususally tell you the recommended weight and how to adjust.

PineapplePete
08-24-2007, 03:42 PM
now im having second thoughts about going analog. cuz i cant see myself doing all the shit that i want to do (live looping, effects, sampling, etc) with vinyl.

marooko, give me a few months and then we'll battle

marooko
08-24-2007, 03:49 PM
now im having second thoughts about going analog. cuz i cant see myself doing all the shit that i want to do (live looping, effects, sampling, etc) with vinyl.

marooko, give me a few months and then we'll battle

PP, you know not what you speak of.

you can get, effect pads, a sampler with effects, a mixer with effects (pioneer DJM 700) etc, etc.

the only difference is that analog takes much more skill, cause with digi you can link it all up and dont really have to think.
analog baby, analog.

digi is killing the art form.

PineapplePete
08-24-2007, 03:52 PM
k, ya...i see. i agree with you. im going out to this guys house right now to check his shit and possibly buy it. thanks everyone for the help

PineapplePete
08-24-2007, 03:57 PM
SO EXCITED

ficklecycle
08-24-2007, 03:57 PM
Good luck.

marooko
08-24-2007, 03:59 PM
dont get raped

jackstraw94086
08-24-2007, 04:03 PM
PP, you know not what you speak of.

you can get, effect pads, a sampler with effects, a mixer with effects (pioneer DJM 700) etc, etc.

the only difference is that analog takes much more skill, cause with digi you can link it all up and dont really have to think.
analog baby, analog.

digi is killing the art form.

A) your comment about effects on a mixer does not address the sampling, and onboard samplers on a mixer are about half-worthless in a live setting.

B) "analog takes more skill" is a complete load of horse shit. What the hell does "you can link it all up and don't really have to think" mean? Being able to quickly reset a cue point is the only real advantage. Working an vinyl turntable isn't a fucking big deal, it's not that hard. The real difference is you're locked to only what you can find on vinyl. Your music costs far more, plus on a CD you can play stuff you're edited, remixed or written from scratch yourself, which I can and have done. "digi is killing the art form" is fucking hilarious. Vinyl purists are rarely "artists" unless you're a creative hip hop turntablist.

Just spin your fucking music and if people enjoy it then fine. Complaining about cd's and laptops is like complaining about the weather.

PineapplePete
08-24-2007, 04:11 PM
jack what do you spin? what do you think i should get?

ficklecycle
08-24-2007, 04:30 PM
Man I wish I had some equipment.

marooko
08-24-2007, 04:45 PM
A) your comment about effects on a mixer does not address the sampling, and onboard samplers on a mixer are about half-worthless in a live setting.

B) "analog takes more skill" is a complete load of horse shit. What the hell does "you can link it all up and don't really have to think" mean? Being able to quickly reset a cue point is the only real advantage. Working an vinyl turntable isn't a fucking big deal, it's not that hard. The real difference is you're locked to only what you can find on vinyl. Your music costs far more, plus on a CD you can play stuff you're edited, remixed or written from scratch yourself, which I can and have done. "digi is killing the art form" is fucking hilarious. Vinyl purists are rarely "artists" unless you're a creative hip hop turntablist.

Just spin your fucking music and if people enjoy it then fine. Complaining about cd's and laptops is like complaining about the weather.

i dont have the energy to deal with this right now. and i dont care enough to deal with it later.

marooko
08-24-2007, 05:01 PM
PP!! where do you live?

ficklecycle
08-24-2007, 05:09 PM
ok, can someone explain to me what these mofos are doing? the turntables arent even spinning and noise is coming out. WTF??

THEY'RE POSSESSED!

jackstraw94086
08-24-2007, 06:08 PM
jack what do you spin? what do you think i should get?

I spin breaks, hip hop, midtempo, and the occasional house. The genre lines are really blurred around here.

I'm not going to tell you what kind of music you like. If you can't answer this question yourself then you should really think hard about spending all that cash.
Whatever it is you should have a passion for it because in order to get good you'll have to listen to the same damn tracks hundreds of times and still get excited by them. When you're not working with those you'll be spending a big chunk of the rest of your time finding or making new music. If you can't hear it already nobody's going to help you.

jackstraw94086
08-24-2007, 06:08 PM
i dont have the energy to deal with this right now. and i dont care enough to deal with it later.

lots of energy this typing stuff takes, huh?

If you had something to say you'd have said it.

daftmonkey64
08-24-2007, 10:58 PM
just got back from my buddys house. we spent like 3 hours just spinning and mixing vinyls, soooo much fun dude. he even busted out ALIVE 1997, threw it in with a badass break beat. i learned way more in 15 minutes of actually seeing it, than anything in this thread. HAVE to get equipment now man

marooko
08-24-2007, 11:58 PM
lots of energy this typing stuff takes, huh?

If you had something to say you'd have said it.

im drunk. ther i said it.

PineapplePete
08-25-2007, 12:02 AM
I spin breaks, hip hop, midtempo, and the occasional house. The genre lines are really blurred around here.

I'm not going to tell you what kind of music you like. If you can't answer this question yourself then you should really think hard about spending all that cash.
Whatever it is you should have a passion for it because in order to get good you'll have to listen to the same damn tracks hundreds of times and still get excited by them. When you're not working with those you'll be spending a big chunk of the rest of your time finding or making new music. If you can't hear it already nobody's going to help you.

i meant what kind of equipment should i get? srry. im assuming you use a CDJ?

PineapplePete
08-25-2007, 12:02 AM
PP!! where do you live?

LA

(message is too short)

PineapplePete
08-25-2007, 12:04 AM
ok, can someone explain to me what these mofos are doing? the turntables arent even spinning and noise is coming out. WTF??

jkyhqE_VOEE

marooko
08-25-2007, 12:08 AM
he's playing whack ass cd's like jack, thats why the music sucks.

PineapplePete
08-25-2007, 12:09 AM
marooko, why did you want to know where i lived?

marooko
08-25-2007, 12:14 AM
because i wany to stak you.

nah, if you were clkose by, i was gonna offer to show you the basics.

PineapplePete
08-25-2007, 12:32 AM
marooko, i PM'd you. If you're not too drunk right now, your answer would be greatly appreciated.

PineapplePete
08-25-2007, 12:53 AM
again

ficklecycle
08-25-2007, 01:17 AM
Who's drunk?

PineapplePete
08-25-2007, 01:19 AM
i am

ficklecycle
08-25-2007, 01:20 AM
I'm tired. Just got home. Some asshole at the citywalk didn't let me into the movie because I didn't have an id to prove my DOB and that im 17 even though I was with my 18 year old GF and my 17 year old best friend.

Ugh.

PineapplePete
08-25-2007, 01:26 AM
thats bull. you shouldve kicked his ass

ficklecycle
08-25-2007, 01:32 AM
I called him a ******. He refunded us the parking money though.

orbit
08-25-2007, 09:52 AM
he's playing whack ass cd's like jack, thats why the music sucks.

Music doesn't suck on vinyl?

Why?

jackstraw94086
08-25-2007, 10:40 AM

Why?

shhhh. don't burst his bubble. He's under the comfortable delusion that DJing is about looking cool. He doesn't want to confront that possibility of mixing virtually any music ever recorded including his own which doesn't exist. That world is too big for him.

marooko
08-25-2007, 06:21 PM

Why?
nope. because.

shhhh. don't burst his bubble. He's under the comfortable delusion that DJing is about looking cool. He doesn't want to confront that possibility of mixing virtually any music ever recorded including his own which doesn't exist. That world is too big for him.

waaaaay too big.

superfiction
08-25-2007, 06:37 PM
whats the difference?

get out.

daftmonkey64
08-25-2007, 06:38 PM
...you're a piece of shit jackstraw. I think you got your ass kicked in high school.

daftmonkey64
08-25-2007, 06:42 PM
get out.

dude this is why i never post on this fucking board. I've been on here since the old board but i only observe cuz if someone asks ANY question or makes a false statement, they get jumped on by every elitist knowitall prick on the internet. so congratufuckinglations, you are that much of a better human being than I because i had to ask what a 1200 is. fuck your mother.

superfiction
08-25-2007, 07:03 PM
how do you play music and not know what 4/4 is. you dont know what mixing is. you dont know what the "little nobs" do. youre asking other people what you should spin. you dont know the difference between spinning and producing music. honestly its just embarrasing. oh and you didnt know who pedro was. so apperently youre terrible at observing too. and using google. change your name, and stick to power chords

edit*

OH and you didnt know what analog is. the ultimate sin.

jackstraw94086
08-25-2007, 07:09 PM
...you're a piece of shit jackstraw. I think you got your ass kicked in high school.

I think you're still getting your ass kicked in high school.

I actually didn't go to high school. I was conjured 5 years ago from the ether by malevolent spirits to one day fuck your wife and sister.

Sushov23
08-25-2007, 07:37 PM
BPM is very important when being a DJ. Know your shit when it comes to what gets people going.

orbit
08-25-2007, 07:45 PM
nope. because.

I was expecting an answer more like 'vinyl impresses girls far more than cds'

Sushov23
08-25-2007, 08:14 PM
PHAROAHE MONCH IS THE FUCKING TRUTH. Better listen up, download, or buy the CD just do what you gotta do.

hawkingvsreeve
08-25-2007, 10:59 PM
how do you play music and not know what 4/4 is. you dont know what mixing is. you dont know what the "little nobs" do. youre asking other people what you should spin. you dont know the difference between spinning and producing music. honestly its just embarrasing. oh and you didnt know who pedro was. so apperently youre terrible at observing too. and using google. change your name, and stick to power chords

edit*

Not everybody knows music theory, tonto.

Stop being a douche.

PineapplePete
08-26-2007, 12:05 AM
MAROOKO!!!! ANSWER MY PM!!! ITZ URGENTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!

Mr.Nipples
08-26-2007, 12:06 AM
stop whining...

PineapplePete
08-26-2007, 12:21 AM
1GKaVzNDbuI

ficklecycle
08-26-2007, 12:47 AM
lol

jackstraw94086
08-26-2007, 02:05 AM
I was expecting an answer more like 'vinyl impresses girls far more than cds'

The irony is that girls generally don't know one what or the other. It's mainly pretentious DJ's who either worship angry hipsters or are bitter about the price of CDJ's that care.

full on idle
08-26-2007, 02:13 AM
The irony is that girls generally don't know one what or the other.

the fuck?

full on idle
08-26-2007, 02:15 AM
I know you and I know you don't think that. You're being that guy on purpose.

superfiction
08-26-2007, 03:30 AM
Not everybody knows music theory, tonto.

Stop being a douche.

i woulda let one thing slide. it was the full package that made it irritating

Wheres the beef?
08-26-2007, 03:48 AM
I'm tired. Just got home. Some asshole at the citywalk didn't let me into the movie because I didn't have an id to prove my DOB and that im 17 even though I was with my 18 year old GF and my 17 year old best friend.

Ugh.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
hhahahahaahahahahaha

Wheres the beef?
08-26-2007, 03:49 AM

this made me laugh out loud

jackstraw94086
08-26-2007, 09:40 AM
I know you and I know you don't think that. You're being that guy on purpose.

I was responding to the previous comment, and the context should have been clear. It doesn't mean females in general (nor any femails either). "girls" in that context meant the type of people he's trying to impress, as Orbit was implying.

daftmonkey64
08-26-2007, 10:43 AM

edit*

well, you're a ******.

superfiction
08-26-2007, 10:59 AM
yes! you caught me

marooko
08-26-2007, 03:13 PM
MAROOKO!!!! ANSWER MY PM!!! ITZ URGENTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!

what PM dude?

hawkingvsreeve
08-26-2007, 05:54 PM
well, you're a ******.

You should also not be a douche.

Mr.Nipples
08-26-2007, 05:58 PM
well, you're a ******.

you dont know what analog is???

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t39/RetardoTronFiveThousand/FUCKINGSTUPID.jpg

daftmonkey64
08-26-2007, 10:03 PM
yeah its that little button on the middle of the PS2 controller, everyone knows that.

PineapplePete
08-26-2007, 10:04 PM
what PM dude?

i just sent it again

PineapplePete
08-26-2007, 10:05 PM
nipples do you keep the 'robots on rockets' and 'damn lady' on hand? or do you google them every time?

daftmonkey64
08-26-2007, 10:06 PM
You should also not be a douche.

sorry i wasn't trying to be, i was actually trying to reference a south park joke but i guess that was a bit too vague.

AND IM VERY SORRY TO ALL THE PEOPLE WHO KNOW MUCH MUCH MORE THAN I DO. i will do my best to learn more stuff..that i, dont know....sorry

marooko
08-27-2007, 08:36 AM
this thread has gone to shit.

Mr. Dylanja
08-27-2007, 10:21 AM
Marooko- Excluding French Robots, who are your favorite dj's?

marooko
08-27-2007, 10:28 AM
dano, hipp-e, jeno, ben annand, evil eddie richards many more.

friends: nate, pete and tino.

Mr. Dylanja
08-27-2007, 01:29 PM
To be honest, I haven't heard of any of those guys, house really hasn't been my thing but I've gained some interest in it lately. Any cd's to recommend? I basically just know hip hop dj's. Do you know anything about producing? IE what equipment to use besides computers programs, that isn't out of this world expensive.

ficklecycle
08-27-2007, 01:33 PM
Look back a few pages.