PDA

View Full Version : Summer Sonic Report

fumfum
08-15-2007, 08:31 AM
Last weekends, I went to summer sonic festival in Tokyo. This is my report of 2 days.

Day 1
First, I was seeing TV monitor from stadium marine stage in inside building. First performer was the Pipettes, I didn`t enjoy at all. I don`t think they were that kind of thing.

My day was started by 120 days in sonic stage. Their music was experimental,spacy sound I thought, they were not bad at all, but later, I thought I should have seen Blue man group in mountain stage...... I checked them for 30 minutes, and I went to see Locksley in island stage. I liked their songs, unfortunately, they were not goodat performing. I hope they will tour around and get better.

After that, I saw Ok Go and Editors in TV thing. Ok go was ok, just heard a few songs. I like Editors songs , but unfortunately, stupid karaoke was started and I couldn`t hear the sound of TV.

I checked the Horrors a little bit, they sound good, not that hardcore that I thought.

I moved to dance stage, saw Bonde do Role. I really enjoyed their performance. Their performance was not sophisticated, but no distance in stage and the audience. I found that there were many Brazilians enjoying the performance. They were like people neighborhood.

After them, Digitalism played. They seem super popular, and the dance stage was so packed. It was good and fun, but no space to dance.

Next, CSS played. They were good, but I enjoyed Bonde de role more.

Next, LCD soundsystem. I found James Murphy likes to play in Japan, he seemed that having good time, and performance was way better than
coachella. In sonic stage, dinosaur jr was playing, I reget that I should have checked them out because today I saw J by accident, I couldn`t believe my eyes, I should have talked him, but I was so surprised.

After CSS, there was Klaxons, but I chose Modest Mouse in sonic stage. I saw whole set of klaxons in coachella, so give it try to mouse.
I am not sure that Johnny Marr and the whole band get along well or not, I got a funny vibe from them. Johnny seemed that he kept giving directions to other guitarist. and he stood out of his good looks. I had a impression that many people came to see Johnny.

I had to pick the headliner of the day, there were black eyed peas, sum 41, travis, maximo park,and sugar ray. I saw whole travis set at coachella, so, I went to see black eyed peas in stadium. sorry guys. They were very entertaining.

Day 2

I overslept, got up late, but I managed to see the enemy in marine stadium stage. They were soooo good. They were my top 3 performance in this festival.

After the enemy, I went to see the Reverend and the makers in island stage. I have no knowledge except that the singer has brother whose picture was in arctic monkeys first album and the song, heavy weight champion in the world. I enjoyed it.

After that, I moved to dance stage to see MSTRKRFT. They rock. Everybody enjoyed dancing.

After, I checked Enter Shikari out in mountain stage.Their combination of music was totally new to me, the mix of techno, rave and metal.

Back to dance stage and checked goose and hot chip. Hot chip was funky and danceable.

I saw whole set of bright eyes in sonic stage. His music is very beautiful.

After, I caught up the sunshine underground in dance stage. They already played the song put you in your place , that I wanted to hear most.

I caught Cyndi Lauperin sonic stage some songs. She was a fabulous singer and so cute. There were so many people to see Cyndi.

I checked marine stage seeing TV, manic street preachers were playing. James has a really nice and beautiful voice, and they have great songs. Nicky was wearing very mini skirt. I don`t know why.

I went to back to dance stage to see Vitalic. He made people dance. Nobody resists his beat. It was so fun.

I checked the cornelious. He is genious. I wanted to see his brain. His music and visual effects in screen are total match, and so amazing. It was different visual set that I saw in coachella. More innovative, harmonized with the music.

I went to see UNKLE in dance stage, 6 or 8 people in there, I was not sure which one was James Lavelle. They sound good.

Again, I was not sure who I was going to see in last, arctic monkeys, offspring, pet shop boys or DJ shadow and cut chemist....

I chose monkeys, however that was third time to see them. They did good job as headliner, but I was not impressed them so much.I don`t think they enjoyed playing so much. when they were playing ``When the sun goes down``, Alex made the audience sing the parts, but that was failed, so he sung by himself. I guess in England how it goes, and how they do, but not in japan. It was funny to see that.

That was my weekends, my body soars because of dance stage. It was fun and intense weekends. Thanks for reading.

J~$$$
08-15-2007, 08:38 AM
Hi fumfum, much <3!

Did you think the Pipettes were cute even though they were not good? Thats cool you like the black eyed pees. I really enjoyed reading your review. Thank you.

<3,

J~$$$

bug on your lip
08-15-2007, 08:44 AM
great review fumfum
i heart u

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-15-2007, 08:53 AM
Jeez I haven't been to Summer Sonic since 2003. It was a horrible line up but I saw Radiohead for the 1st time so it was all worth it. Thanks for the review!

fumfum
08-17-2007, 08:27 AM
Thanks for your feedback!

I wish I could have been to radiohead one., it must be very special. There is no future concert plan now, so sad.

TomAz
08-17-2007, 08:46 AM
Great review. Cyndi Lauper rules.

mob roulette
08-17-2007, 08:50 AM
I heart fumfum very much.

bug on your lip
08-17-2007, 08:55 AM
i heart fumfum mucher

clarky123
08-17-2007, 09:02 AM
FumFum - Good review. Did you see the Maximo Park set, if so how did it go down? Tom (the really down to earth drummer) drinks in my local bar sometimes when not touring.

fumfum
08-18-2007, 09:24 PM
Hi, Clarky

Unfortunately, I haven`t seen Maximo park, I was seeing black eyed peas ( shame on me!) I heard maximo was fun and good performance, less people, I guess people spread out to see black eyed, travis and sum 41. That`s cool the drummer hung out in your local pub. I kind of liked the singer`s previous hair style, they become stylish lately. By the way,I have my personal English gentleman ranking

1 Keith ( prodigy)
2 Gallagher brothers ( Noel and Liam)
3 Matt ( bloc party)

bmack86
08-19-2007, 12:09 AM
I went to back to dance stage to see Vitalic. He made people dance. Nobody resists his beat. It was so fun.

That is awesome. Vitalic rules.

Boourns
08-19-2007, 12:50 AM
I <3 fumfum most of all!

Hey fumfum, I'm so glad you had a great weekend at summer sonic. I enjoyed reading your report.

I actually saw Cyndi Lauper many years ago...family dragged me to see Tina Turner, and Cyndi Lauper opened. She didn't do the Goonies song, so I was disappointed.

summerkid
08-19-2007, 12:52 AM
I saw whole set of bright eyes in sonic stage. His music is very beautiful.

Their new album is especially good.

Boourns
08-19-2007, 12:56 AM
fumfum, did you take any pictures? <3

superfiction
08-19-2007, 08:17 AM
summersonic was a trillion times better last year