PDA

View Full Version : I am actually thinking about camping again in 2008.

Stefinitely Maybe
08-15-2007, 04:30 AM
2004 was my first Coachella, and I camped. I have never experienced such ridiculous temperatures. I think I got about 4 hours sleep over the entire 3 days. There was no shade ANYWHERE and every morning I got woken up at 4am by the sun slowly rising and roasting me in my tent. I was sharing the tent with my friend Simon and on the last night we were both so hot that we decided to forget about our dignity and both just slept naked. On the Monday morning, as I drove away from the campsite, I felt more exhausted and broken and filthy and hot than I have ever felt in my entire life.

In 2005 I stayed at a motel in Palm Springs, with some friends, and in 2006 and 2007 we rented a house. However, these friends won't be able to come next year, and I don't want to pay ludicrous prices for a hotel, and I cannot afford a house alone.

So I have been considering my options and, bizarrely, camping somehow feels like an extremely tempting option. There was something wonderful about the whole experience in 2004, and that was still my favourite Coachella by far. I loved the feeling of "conquering the heat" by surviving in the campsite, and meeting all the other campers, and, errr, bonding with them, and that experience is something I actually missed over the past 3 years. Despite feeling exhausted and broken and filthy and hot, I loved every second of that festival, and it genuinely changed my life.

I am still undecided about what to do though. Argh. I DO love air con and showers.

sonofhal
08-15-2007, 05:45 AM
We are hiring a house that should hold around 8-10 people next year. I've got 6 definites and a couple of maybes so far, so we may have some room to spare. It's within walking distance of the site.

thinnerair
08-15-2007, 06:11 AM
I have not camped yet and may think about camping this year. It is a whole hell of a lot cheaper to camp, but the house is such a nice thing to come back to after a long ass day.

sonofhal
08-15-2007, 06:15 AM
2004 - Trailer Park - Quite stylish.
2005 - Hotel
2006 - Villa
2007 - Villa

I now drag so many people along that we've outgrown the villa!

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-15-2007, 06:19 AM
the only reason I am never going to camp is the fact that there is no shower places. I sneeze out so much dust when I am there and a shower always helps :)

Stefinitely Maybe
08-15-2007, 07:10 AM
the only reason I am never going to camp is the fact that there is no shower places. I sneeze out so much dust when I am there and a shower always helps :)

This is not true. There are showers in the camping lots.

sonofhal> If you have a spare place, please count me as one of your (Stefinitely) maybes!

bug on your lip
08-15-2007, 07:13 AM
Stuff,
R u trying to get doods to camp with you naked? If so, i maybe interested.

fatbastard
08-15-2007, 07:39 AM
What if someone makes a crime in the tent?

Stefinitely Maybe
08-15-2007, 07:41 AM
Stuff,

Sure, but remember, it's not rape, it's sleep-sex (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/femail/article.html?in_article_id=474209&in_page_id=1879).

breakjaw
08-15-2007, 07:43 AM
Plz no-one stab me while I sleeping nakid in tent!Pleez!

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-15-2007, 07:46 AM
This is not true. There are showers in the camping lots.

sonofhal> If you have a spare place, please count me as one of your (Stefinitely) maybes!

Private showers or hosing off areas?

marooko
08-15-2007, 07:47 AM
so im thinking about camping this year also. we went camping this past weekend and when i was putting away my tent i saw that the bag says tour tent. we wrote that on there after woodstock but never went to any shows that we could camp at besides coachella. never went for the 2 or 3 days so we never camped. but we are thinking about it this year. we'll see how it goes.

marooko
08-15-2007, 07:48 AM
Stuff,

What if someone makes a crime in the tent?

Private showers or hosing off areas?

hey team!! think we'll catch a DP set in the above mentioned tents?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-15-2007, 07:59 AM
hey team!! think we'll catch a DP set in the above mentioned tents?

Hell Yeah!

marooko
08-15-2007, 08:05 AM
im camping for sure.

breakjaw
08-15-2007, 08:39 AM
Seriously Stef I think camping is THE way to go.I camped 4 nights this time and they do have a private shower plus semi-private showers plus extremely kind workers with hoses if you just need to cool off.Nothing like waking up at the campgrounds,stumbling over to get an excellently made Bloody Mary,not driving anywhere,and then Coachella Festival!

bug on your lip
08-15-2007, 08:46 AM
i saw breakjaw in the semi-private shower

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-15-2007, 08:51 AM
Seriously Stef I think camping is THE way to go.I camped 4 nights this time and they do have a private shower plus semi-private showers plus extremely kind workers with hoses if you just need to cool off.Nothing like waking up at the campgrounds,stumbling over to get an excellently made Bloody Mary,not driving anywhere,and then Coachella Festival!

Christ, I have been going to this festival for 7 years and no one told me about private showers?! WTF?!

breakjaw
08-15-2007, 09:33 AM
i saw breakjaw in the semi-private shower

http://www.worstpreviews.com/images/porkys.gif

bug on your lip
08-15-2007, 09:34 AM
breakjaw

all joking aside. You probably should get that mole on your left buttcheek checked out

tessalasset
08-15-2007, 09:41 AM
Christ, I have been going to this festival for 7 years and no one told me about private showers?! WTF?!have you ever been to the website www.coachella.com? it's full of nifty information including, in the camping section:
Will there be free bathrooms/showers? Handicap accessible? Private?

Yes, there will free bathrooms and free showers available. Separate M/F trailers (with individual privacy) and there will be handicap accesible facilities for both as well.

Edit: they even posted a picture of the showers.
http://www.coachella.com/page_images/camp5.jpg

PassiveTheory
08-15-2007, 09:50 AM
I'll probably be camping again.

psychic friend
08-15-2007, 09:51 AM
ya, what tessa said, word for word

and

DUR

Deviate_420
08-15-2007, 09:58 AM
10 bedroom mansion in the hills of Palm Springs< CAMPING IN THE FUCKING HEAT!!!!

breakjaw
08-15-2007, 10:02 AM
10 bedroom mansion in the hills of Palm Springs< CAMPING IN THE FUCKING HEAT!!!!

Exactly.
And bug the doc said it's actually a puncture wound,not a mole.He believes it may have been caused by a AIDZ Needlez while I was dancing so fast.

Trick Loves The Kids
08-15-2007, 10:19 AM
Camping is the only way to experience Coachella as far as I'm concerned. Fuck showers, they had hoses set up last year and Sunday morning just having my dude spray me with a cold hose felt like getting baptized or some shit. New life and all that.

Deviate_420
08-15-2007, 10:22 AM
I have come to this conclusion about staying in a hotel/house. Camping is the only way to FULLY experience Coachella. Staying in a hotel/house is like fucking using aluminum foil as a condom. Sure you're getting laid, but at the end, you feel unfulfilled. Camping at Coachella isn't for the timid. Its hot, you really do sleep for 4 hours the whole weekend and you have to pay an extravagant amount of money to get drunk (if you are to much of an idiot to figure out how to sneak in alcohol). Plus where else can you have a cheering wave at 3am threw out a campsite? Not lake cahuilla my friend. Camping makes the whole going into debt thing worth it.

tessalasset
08-15-2007, 10:39 AM
Camping was definitely amazing. Even in the ghetto of 2004.

bmack86
08-15-2007, 10:55 AM
I camped 04-06, and stayed in a house this year. House was better for me by far.

disgustipated
08-15-2007, 10:57 AM
for me as well. camping was fun and all, but I like my sleep.and i didnt have to sneak in the keg.

ps the heated saltwater pool and hot tub were "right on time"
also the koi pond, zen garden and waterfall

downingthief
08-15-2007, 10:58 AM
I camped onsite in '04 and '05. Hotel in '06, and camped offisite in '07 at Manny's.
Camping is the way to go, in my opinion. Manny's was great, but a little more expensive. Can't beat the homemade carne asada burritos at midnight, though...yummmmmy.

Mr.Nipples
08-15-2007, 11:00 AM
im accustomed to sleeping in 40 dollar a night hellholes so camping this year will be no thing...

sonofhal
08-15-2007, 11:53 AM
I've camped at Reading and, although fun, the lack of sleep did turn me into a grumpy fucker.

ThomThom
08-15-2007, 11:58 AM
My first time camping was this past year and it was hot, I couldn't sleep, and I slowly morphed from an excited first timer to a grumpy little bitch, and I will never do it again...I did however meet some really cool people on the camp grounds which is the one plus side to camping. I'd still rather rent a house, condo, or get a hotel room with a/c and a bathroom and have a cooler full of nice cold beers and vodka waiting for me when I get back from a long day of concertgoing.

rage patton
08-15-2007, 12:09 PM
When I first read the title of this thread I thought it said "I am actually thinking about campaigning again in 2008."

I thought it was going to be one of your random news threads saying something along the lines of George W. has chaged the laws and will be running again in 2008. It wouldnt have surprised me.

ghettojournalist
08-15-2007, 12:51 PM
i've camped the past three coachella fests and plan to once again.
the heat is really the only deturrent, but i can deal.

amyzzz
08-15-2007, 12:51 PM
I camped this year, and I probably won't do it again because:

- I couldn't sleep
- my husband and I needed some time AWAY from the festival because being around that many people caused too much anxiety
- I got sick of using nasty hot portapotties

I regret having to go back to driving to and from Palm Springs, but at least we'll get some sleep in nice, clean beds and be able to use clean toilets a couple times a day.

miscorrections
08-15-2007, 12:55 PM
camping was super fun, but i'm debating whether i should do the house thing or camp again next year.

roberto73
08-15-2007, 01:50 PM
This was the first year I didn't live within driving distance of the fest, so I camped. I won't be doing that again. Reason: I am old and grumpy.

suprefan
08-15-2007, 01:54 PM
Camping fo life, since 2003 when it was $100 for one spot and they had the tiny trailer to shower in with the most ridiculous line and format.(guys for one hour, girls the other hour and so on and so forth) and the only time I will get hotel or a house is if I am taking my kids with me.(that wont be for a while) I dont even care for the lack of sleep I barely feel tired when I am there or want to sleep.

luckyface
08-15-2007, 02:22 PM
I'm way too much of an snob when it comes to sleeping accommodations, so I don't do camping well. I will never subject myself to it at Coachella, for sure. I need a mattress, AC, and a clean bathroom. I definitely respect the people who can camp in that weather though.

If I wasn't responsible for driving, I would say it is perfect to do the hotel room a few miles away.

marooko
08-15-2007, 03:11 PM
I'm way too much of an snob when it comes to sleeping accommodations, so I don't do camping well. I will never subject myself to it at Coachella, for sure. I need a mattress, AC, and a clean bathroom. I definitely respect the people who can camp in that weather though.

If I wasn't responsible for driving, I would say it is perfect to do the hotel room a few miles away.

softie.

luckyface
08-15-2007, 03:14 PM
softie.

I am the first to admit it, too. I am like Paris Hilton when it comes to sleeping arrangements (ie: stuck up, not herpes-ridden).

RotationSlimWang
08-15-2007, 04:03 PM
To Camp Or Not To Camp? That is the question. I myself am a bit divided on this subject, and since I have boundless energy to type whatever the fuck pops into my head today, I'm gonna break this bitch down.

2006--Camped, people camping with me were miserable, and I wasn't terribly pleased either since we had not been smart enough to bring air mattresses or fans and thus it was hotter than all balls. We ended up going out and buying a motel room Sunday daytime and staying there until like 4:30, just came back to the campsite after Tool to smoke out and discuss how awesome the candyflip had been and explain why I had ran away right before Massive Attack came on. Then drove to hotel, got to shower, sleep in AC, felt very nice. One big advantage to camping being all the drugs I sold just on Saturday night alone as well as the fantastic ecstasy and acid I stumbled across at 5 am. Without those last two factors, though, the entire weekend would have been upsetting.

2007--Camped, both me and my partner-in-crime opting for separate individual tents but with queen-sized air mattresses and fans. Had much more drugs to sell this time and unfortunately they were much more expensive. Note for future: most campers are not from California and do not understand Cali medicinal weed prices, and in truth neither do I. Was still hotter than all shit even with fans, spent pretty much every day until 4 pm sitting in tents under icewater-soaked towels with fan a foot from face. Did not manage to sell as much of the weed as we'd needed to and also all the hallucinogens I purchased were more beat than the ones I'd brought. Highly disappointing--weekend was all downhill after Friday night's extravaganza. Big upside was actually spending enough time in the campsite to make friends with people nearby and then use those friendships to try to start a war with people in section H for no particular reason. Friends were Canadian, good folk with BC bud which I prefer to OG Kush any day of the week. We all agreed that if camping again a big fucking canopy was absolutely necessary.

Conclusions: 2008 may present difficulties. For one, I agree that if you're not camping you're not really Coachella'ing.

For two, having to worry about driving at the end of the night, not to mention the actual hassle of driving and parking itself, is a pain in the ass one really shouldn't have to deal with when one festivals music like I do.

Unfortunately, the chaps I plan to attend with this year include one of my best friends who happened to incite the whole 2006 trip and who as a result of the experience flat out refuses to ever camp again. Too fucking hot, basically. To a certain extent I agree with him, but at the same time he should just pick up his vagina and run with it already.

A large part of me says the way to do it is to purchase a campsite AND a hotel room, and use the campsite for the things for which it is useful and the hotel room for the sleeping and sunny part of the day. If I decide I'm tired of the insane heat I can always go back to the hotel. But if we don't have a three days' supply of hallucinogens (which, when you're talking about the way I ask they be supplied, can be very difficult to line up ahead of time) on hand that campsite could prove invaluable. I hope to not have to be dealing in 2008 with the aid of some careful planning and budgeting, but that's not to say it's not likely to happen. Or perhaps I'll just sell E instead of weed.

Other pros and cons: Campers' entrance is vastly faster. But with no in and out privilages, is it really worth that much? Also, both in 2006 and 2007 we were so fucking beat down that we decided we could gladly abandon ALL of our camping equipment at the site. In 2006 that was just a tent, but in 2007 that included tents and everything else we couldn't grab in one trip to the car--mattresses (queens are too big for a 7' x 7' tent, btw), cooler, fans, all sorts of shit.

Also got laid in 2007 in tent a couple times, which was cool. Might be more or less difficult in a hotel, hard to say. Perhaps another reason to get both, not to mention to sell drugs even if there were no money to be made. Not saying I got laid in trade for drugs by any means, although I did give her a slight break on the price. Some chicks are attracted to scumbags, what can I say?

Had I stayed in a hotel in 2007 I would have missed out on the police presence. As it is I regret sleeping through the bonfire Sunday night, if only because I missed watching some little commie kids who were burning dollar bills in a fit of Rage-inspired rebellion get pelted with a football by some nearby wag. Walking the campgrounds until morning 2 of the 4 nights made for some very interesting shit, including Saturday's drum circle that got broken up by the cops and then relocated and around dawn had turned into some half-assed poetry jam or some shit. Also there was the crazy bitch who talked her friends into buying a quarter of my Kush and after exchanging phone numbers revealed that she was homeless and would be calling me to stay on my couch. Hah.

Actual Conclusion: Yeah, gotta have both, fuck it. Buy at least two campsites to erect a proper-sized tent, give you somewhere to prepare before going in and chill out waiting for the rush of cars to die down every night before leaving. Plus, drugs and pussy. End of debate with self.

Wheres the beef?
08-15-2007, 05:25 PM
To anyone who camps and cant figure out how to block out the sun......I guess you do deserve to stay in a hotel.

Camping on site = winners
Hotels/motels/houses = losers

marooko
08-15-2007, 05:26 PM
KING!!!!! clear your PM box.

or you could just tell me what you do for a living that you know what stair details look like.

sydaud
08-15-2007, 05:35 PM
When I first read the title of this thread I thought it said "I am actually thinking about campaigning again in 2008."

I thought it was going to be one of your random news threads saying something along the lines of George W. has chaged the laws and will be running again in 2008. It wouldnt have surprised me.

I swear I thought that I had read the same thing, ha ha.....

Camped last year, certainly will camp again in '08.

rampaige
08-16-2007, 07:03 AM
I would love to camp, but I honestly think my body woudn't be able to handle the three straight days of heat, alcohol consumption, no sleep, etc. Maybe when I was a young whippersnapper it might've been doable (young whippersnapper = 18 years old) but at the crotchety age of 27, sleep and a hot shower are a must after such a day of decadence.

Stefinitely Maybe
08-16-2007, 07:09 AM
Another advantage of camping is that you actually start to get used to the heat after about 24 hours, and it gets easier to handle, and then you can just enjoy yourself; whereas when you're going back and forth from a house / hotel to the festival, you never quite acclimatise fully and you always feel fucking hot.

kreutz2112
08-16-2007, 07:13 AM

idiot.

disgustipated
08-16-2007, 08:20 AM
I was never really hot last year...but then again I'm from Texas. We would get to the grounds around 1 or 2 and only have to deal with 3-4 hours of heat, unlike campers who have to deal with the heat for three days. For me the house makes the weekend more enjoyable.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-16-2007, 08:22 AM
To Camp Or Not To Camp? That is the question. I myself am a bit divided on this subject, and since I have boundless energy to type whatever the fuck pops into my head today, I'm gonna break this bitch down.

2006--Camped, people camping with me were miserable, and I wasn't terribly pleased either since we had not been smart enough to bring air mattresses or fans and thus it was hotter than all balls. We ended up going out and buying a motel room Sunday daytime and staying there until like 4:30, just came back to the campsite after Tool to smoke out and discuss how awesome the candyflip had been and explain why I had ran away right before Massive Attack came on. Then drove to hotel, got to shower, sleep in AC, felt very nice. One big advantage to camping being all the drugs I sold just on Saturday night alone as well as the fantastic ecstasy and acid I stumbled across at 5 am. Without those last two factors, though, the entire weekend would have been upsetting.

2007--Camped, both me and my partner-in-crime opting for separate individual tents but with queen-sized air mattresses and fans. Had much more drugs to sell this time and unfortunately they were much more expensive. Note for future: most campers are not from California and do not understand Cali medicinal weed prices, and in truth neither do I. Was still hotter than all shit even with fans, spent pretty much every day until 4 pm sitting in tents under icewater-soaked towels with fan a foot from face. Did not manage to sell as much of the weed as we'd needed to and also all the hallucinogens I purchased were more beat than the ones I'd brought. Highly disappointing--weekend was all downhill after Friday night's extravaganza. Big upside was actually spending enough time in the campsite to make friends with people nearby and then use those friendships to try to start a war with people in section H for no particular reason. Friends were Canadian, good folk with BC bud which I prefer to OG Kush any day of the week. We all agreed that if camping again a big fucking canopy was absolutely necessary.

Conclusions: 2008 may present difficulties. For one, I agree that if you're not camping you're not really Coachella'ing.

For two, having to worry about driving at the end of the night, not to mention the actual hassle of driving and parking itself, is a pain in the ass one really shouldn't have to deal with when one festivals music like I do.

Unfortunately, the chaps I plan to attend with this year include one of my best friends who happened to incite the whole 2006 trip and who as a result of the experience flat out refuses to ever camp again. Too fucking hot, basically. To a certain extent I agree with him, but at the same time he should just pick up his vagina and run with it already.

A large part of me says the way to do it is to purchase a campsite AND a hotel room, and use the campsite for the things for which it is useful and the hotel room for the sleeping and sunny part of the day. If I decide I'm tired of the insane heat I can always go back to the hotel. But if we don't have a three days' supply of hallucinogens (which, when you're talking about the way I ask they be supplied, can be very difficult to line up ahead of time) on hand that campsite could prove invaluable. I hope to not have to be dealing in 2008 with the aid of some careful planning and budgeting, but that's not to say it's not likely to happen. Or perhaps I'll just sell E instead of weed.

Other pros and cons: Campers' entrance is vastly faster. But with no in and out privilages, is it really worth that much? Also, both in 2006 and 2007 we were so fucking beat down that we decided we could gladly abandon ALL of our camping equipment at the site. In 2006 that was just a tent, but in 2007 that included tents and everything else we couldn't grab in one trip to the car--mattresses (queens are too big for a 7' x 7' tent, btw), cooler, fans, all sorts of shit.

Also got laid in 2007 in tent a couple times, which was cool. Might be more or less difficult in a hotel, hard to say. Perhaps another reason to get both, not to mention to sell drugs even if there were no money to be made. Not saying I got laid in trade for drugs by any means, although I did give her a slight break on the price. Some chicks are attracted to scumbags, what can I say?

Had I stayed in a hotel in 2007 I would have missed out on the police presence. As it is I regret sleeping through the bonfire Sunday night, if only because I missed watching some little commie kids who were burning dollar bills in a fit of Rage-inspired rebellion get pelted with a football by some nearby wag. Walking the campgrounds until morning 2 of the 4 nights made for some very interesting shit, including Saturday's drum circle that got broken up by the cops and then relocated and around dawn had turned into some half-assed poetry jam or some shit. Also there was the crazy bitch who talked her friends into buying a quarter of my Kush and after exchanging phone numbers revealed that she was homeless and would be calling me to stay on my couch. Hah.

Actual Conclusion: Yeah, gotta have both, fuck it. Buy at least two campsites to erect a proper-sized tent, give you somewhere to prepare before going in and chill out waiting for the rush of cars to die down every night before leaving. Plus, drugs and pussy. End of debate with self.

Jesus, you really thought this through...