PDA

View Full Version : New York City

Courtney
08-13-2007, 07:13 AM
Hi. I'm in New York for a couple weeks. What's good to do? ThinnerAir, Tylerdurder, I'm looking at you.

Although it's been a while since I have lived here, I have covered all the obvious touristy stuff already and don't need to be doing those sorts of things. But I feel like the music scene especially has changed a lot with so many clubs closing down or moving to Brooklyn, so I'm feeling a little disoriented.

Courtney
08-13-2007, 07:14 AM
Hey, these are some things I am thinking about doing:

-Richard Serra exhibit at MoMA
-The National at South Street Seaport
-Camera Obscura at South Street Seaport
-PS1 Warm Up
-Summerscreen at McCarren Park Pool (Bonnie and Clyde, 8/14)
-Dan Flavin Art Institute, Bridgehampton

(to be amended)

marooko
08-13-2007, 07:18 AM
KATZ DELI
a few blocks from katz there is a brazilian place, i think its on ave A right before 2nd str. awesome fucking food and the waitress is hot as hell. and on the weekends a samba band comes in and plays. if you go to the karova bar dont put any money in the juke box. the guy plays his ipod. it was funny watching people feed that damn thing.

TomAz
08-13-2007, 07:25 AM
go to Williamsburg and report back plz. thx.

Courtney
08-13-2007, 07:27 AM
Ok.

Also I am staying at a friend's apartment in Greenpoint. It is a weird mix of Polish families and lurking hipsters.

Also I just googled Greenpoint and apparently Mae West and Pat Benatar are from Greenpoint. That's some good water.

sonofhal
08-13-2007, 07:30 AM
Hey Courtney,
As i mentioned in chat, my wife is over there from Saturday for a week - and is up for doing stuff (especially if it's art related). I can give you her email if you tell me where to send it.

thinnerair
08-13-2007, 07:32 AM
Greenpoint is heavily polluted and smells awful if you catch the right wind.
Check out PS1 if youre here on a saturday afternoon. Its in Long Island City, which is just over the Pulaski Bridge from Greenpoint....its even walkable!

thinnerair
08-13-2007, 07:34 AM
If you want some good coffee, I hear Cafe Grumpy is f-ing delicious.
Tuesday nights are Movies at the Pool at McCarren Pool. They're free and quite entertaining. a million gallon pool, emptied out for kids to hang out, get housed and watch flicks.

Tylerdurden31
08-13-2007, 07:38 AM
If you like felafel, go to Mamoun's on MacDougal St near Bleecker.

Camera Obscura is next friday @ Seaport and Battles the Friday after that if you're into that sort of thing.

I like the Cooper-Hewitt Museum of Design (http://www.cooperhewitt.org/). They have a good exhibit on design in developing countries.

captncrzy
08-13-2007, 07:38 AM
Eat lots of pizza. And bagles. And cheesecake.

Srsly.

thinnerair
08-13-2007, 07:42 AM
Junior's Cheesecake in Brooklyn=the shit!
Best Falaffel in New York is on 51st Street between 9th and 10th ave.
He s only open during lunch and not weekends...and hes a bastard.
Go get cupcakes at Magnolia Bakery (made famous from that SNL skit)
There is a museum on the Lower East Side called the Tenement museum, which talks about the origins of NYC. I hear its awesome.
Museum of Sex is overrated but still cool...i guess.
I love Barcade in Williamsburg. Great pints and cheap video games!

captncrzy
08-13-2007, 07:44 AM
Oh, and go to the Soup Nazi place.

Courtney
08-13-2007, 07:46 AM
Hey Courtney,
As i mentioned in chat, my wife is over there from Saturday for a week - and is up for doing stuff (especially if it's art related). I can give you her email if you tell me where to send it.

Yay. I PMed you.

Greenpoint is heavily polluted and smells awful if you catch the right wind.
Check out PS1 if youre here on a saturday afternoon. Its in Long Island City, which is just over the Pulaski Bridge from Greenpoint....its even walkable!

I <3 PS1. Are they still doing that summer party thing on Saturdays? I want to go to that. I hope they have a courtyard installation with a wading pool this year.

If you want some good coffee, I hear Cafe Grumpy is f-ing delicious.
Tuesday nights are Movies at the Pool at McCarren Pool. They're free and quite entertaining. a million gallon pool, emptied out for kids to hang out, get housed and watch flicks.

Haha. Um, I'm posting from Cafe Grumpy. Hi. Now you can come stalk me? They have pretty latte art.

I am gonna check out this movie night thing. It sounds good.

If you like felafel, go to Mamoun's on MacDougal St near Bleecker.

Camera Obscura is next friday @ Seaport and Battles the Friday after that if you're into that sort of thing.

I like the Cooper-Hewitt Museum of Design (http://www.cooperhewitt.org/). They have a good exhibit on design in developing countries.

These are excellent suggestions. Thank you. I'm a big fan of Mamoun's from when I used to live in New Haven (they have a location there as well). And I almost did an internship once at the Cooper-Hewitt Design Museum!

I think I'm gonna miss Battles which is a bummer because they were really excellent at Pitchfork. But Camera Obscura I like too, so that sounds very promising.

Hannahrain
08-13-2007, 07:48 AM
NYMoMa>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SFMoMa. I'd LIVE in it if I could.

Which is to say, definitely go there.

Stefinitely Maybe
08-13-2007, 07:55 AM

Dude I went to Barcade when I was in NYC last November. Were you there? I was wearing a Ghostbusters baseball cap.

Actually, when I went to Barcade my friend called me on my cellphone and I couldn't hear anything in the bar so I had to go outside, and as I was stood outside this big jeep or hummer drove past and then squealed to a halt and someone was thrown out / jumped out, and there was a bunch of screaming and then the car drove away again, and then the person ran away. It was all very strange. Watch out for those drive-bys, Courney.

mob roulette
08-13-2007, 07:57 AM
You CANNOT make friends with the rock stars. That's what's important. If you're a rock journalist - first, you will never get paid much. But you will get free records from the record company. And they'll buy you drinks, you'll meet girls, they'll try to fly you places for free, offer you drugs... I know. It sounds great. But they are not your friends. These are people who want you to write sanctimonious stories about the genius of the rock stars, and they will ruin rock and roll and strangle everything we love about it.

Also don't do drugs. And leave an ounce of blood on stage every night.

Courtney
08-13-2007, 08:00 AM
But rock and roll is already dead. We're just here for the last gasp, the final grope.

Hannahrain
08-13-2007, 08:06 AM
Don't TAKE drugs, mob. TAKE.

Courtney
08-13-2007, 08:06 AM

Srsly.

I might need to go shopping for some new clothing if too much of that happens.

Junior's Cheesecake in Brooklyn=the shit!
Best Falaffel in New York is on 51st Street between 9th and 10th ave.
He s only open during lunch and not weekends...and hes a bastard.
Go get cupcakes at Magnolia Bakery (made famous from that SNL skit)
There is a museum on the Lower East Side called the Tenement museum, which talks about the origins of NYC. I hear its awesome.
Museum of Sex is overrated but still cool...i guess.

51st St is kind of near MoMA, right? Maybe I can make that a joint outing.

And those cupcakes at Magnolia Bakery are so so good. I used to get one after each time I went for a wax at Eve across the street. I was hoping for a sort of pavlovian response whereby waxing would become pleasurable because it would be associated with the sugar high to follow. The experiment didn't work out so well. But the cupcakes are good.

Dude I went to Barcade when I was in NYC last November. Were you there? I was wearing a Ghostbusters baseball cap.

Actually, when I went to Barcade my friend called me on my cellphone and I couldn't hear anything in the bar so I had to go outside, and as I was stood outside this big jeep or hummer drove past and then squealed to a halt and someone was thrown out / jumped out, and there was a bunch of screaming and then the car drove away again, and then the person ran away. It was all very strange. Watch out for those drive-bys, Courney.

Haha. I don't know; I try to avoid proximity to Hummers at all costs. Maybe I should stay away from this Barcade place.

mountmccabe
08-13-2007, 08:42 AM
I suggest trying to find Steve Burns. Sometimes he is in New York.

Courtney
08-13-2007, 08:51 AM
Haha. Um, it seemed very exciting at the time.

disgustipated
08-13-2007, 08:58 AM
Chaple of Sacred Mirrors

http://www.cosm.org/

TomAz
08-13-2007, 09:03 AM
http://nyartists.org/Cringefest07app2.doc

ooops.. deadline's passed.

but you can still go to the International Cringe Festival next month.

ewiggy
08-13-2007, 09:08 AM
HOW ABOUT YOU COME BACK TO LA AND STOP TRYING TO LEAVE ME.

breakjaw
08-13-2007, 09:11 AM
If I was there I'd be tempted to see this:
http://www.bukowsical.com/bukowsical/buk_red.gif

bballarl
08-13-2007, 09:14 AM
I liked the Guggenheim. But I'm not an expert on NYC by any means.

thinnerair
08-13-2007, 09:40 AM
alot of it really depends on what parts of the city you want to be around.
i mean, there are a lot of things to do if you are looking to spend a lot of time in manhattan, or a lot of stuff if you are looking to stay in brooklyn. there are also a bunch of things to do in Long Island City/Astoria/Queens (water taxi beach, ps1, etc)

Tylerdurden31
08-13-2007, 09:46 AM
please look at the following schedule, check for updates, be there when required

http://www.treatstruck.com/?page_id=3

fatbastard
08-13-2007, 09:50 AM

Srsly.

Lombardis on the lower east side.

mountmccabe
08-13-2007, 09:56 AM
Kaki King is playing at Wednesday the 15th at Spiegletent as part of Bard SummerScape 2007. The whole thing involves lots of opera and plays and Elgar and classic movies and it's very confusing.

Some sort of website. (http://fishercenter.bard.edu/calendar/event/index.php?eid=102390) And another one. (http://www.fishercenter.bard.edu/summerscape/) But neither of these seem to say anything about Kaki King. PollStar wouldn't lie, would they?

ficklecycle
08-13-2007, 10:15 AM
My GF and I really want to go NYC so were postponing our big trip to Europe for even later next year.

Courtney
08-14-2007, 05:53 AM
please look at the following schedule, check for updates, be there when required

http://www.treatstruck.com/?page_id=3

Jesus I love you people.

The current issue of Time Out New York has an article that lists restaurant successes and their various clone offspring; one of the places featured is Magnolia Bakery and copycats Buttercup Bake Shop, Billy's Bakery, Sugar Sweet Sunshine and the Little Cupcake Bakeshop. I have been tasked to acquire representative samples from each for a blind taste test. Because really, I'm unemployed and so what else am I gonna do besides cajole friends into doing blind cupcake taste tests?

Courtney
08-14-2007, 05:58 AM
Kaki King is playing at Wednesday the 15th at Spiegletent as part of Bard SummerScape 2007. The whole thing involves lots of opera and plays and Elgar and classic movies and it's very confusing.

Some sort of website. (http://fishercenter.bard.edu/calendar/event/index.php?eid=102390) And another one. (http://www.fishercenter.bard.edu/summerscape/) But neither of these seem to say anything about Kaki King. PollStar wouldn't lie, would they?

I also saw this in Time Out New York. And circled it in red sharpie. And it is all to your credit (fault?) for putting her on some mix you made.

Hey wait Bard isn't in nyc. It's like two hours north. Lying magazine.

mountmccabe
08-14-2007, 06:11 AM
Aww, that means PollStar lied too. It said she was playing in New York, New York.

Also I will try to be more careful about what I include in future mixes.

thinnerair
08-14-2007, 06:21 AM
you're really lucky that the weather in NYC has been great.
Movies in McCarren Pool in Brooklyn tonight.
Tonight's feature: BONNIE AND CLYDE (1967)

Courtney
08-14-2007, 06:43 AM
Yes the weather is quite nice. And I will admit that Greenpoint does smell a bit, but let's not lie, so does all of NYC in the summer.

And I am going to Bonnie and Clyde tonight. Wooohooo.

thinnerair
08-14-2007, 06:44 AM
Yes the weather is quite nice. And I will admit that Greenpoint does smell a bit, but let's not lie, so does all of NYC in the summer.

And I am going to Bonnie and Clyde tonight. Wooohooo.

I might be there too.
Look for a kid with a beard and an old t-shirt, maybe drinking something.

Courtney
08-14-2007, 06:50 AM
Haha. I thought ironic facial hair and vintage tees were pretty much the Williamsburg hipster uniform? Don't forget your skinny jeans and wayfarers.

thinnerair
08-14-2007, 06:59 AM
ugh. i really hate them hipsters and their dumbness.

Courtney
08-14-2007, 07:03 AM
I pretty much hate them and their dumbness. Well, except their coffee shops. And their restaurants and bars. And music. And sometimes their haircuts and glasses. But you know, other than that it's total hate.

Ok I'm gonna go out and actually maybe do stuff now. But you should say hi for real if you see me tonight. I'm gonna wear a blue and white striped shirt I think and an indigo denim pencil skirt.

TomAz
08-14-2007, 07:05 AM
hating hipsters is such a hipster thing to do.

thinnerair
08-14-2007, 07:08 AM
I pretty much hate them and their dumbness. Well, except their coffee shops. And their restaurants and bars. And music. And sometimes their haircuts and glasses. But you know, other than that it's total hate.

the hipsters have changed over the last few years.
it used to just be a bunch of kids that would just throw a temper tantrum in their closet and walk out with whatever clothes happen to stick to their malnourished bodies and just head out the door to take pictures of stuff.

(steady diet of camel cigarettes, black coffee, PBR, and ramen will make you look like a thin dying tree)

By the way, take a stroll down Bedford Avenue. There is a great slice of pizza on Bedford and North 8th, right next to the L train stop (Bedford Ave stop) You can also get a margarita to go(in a styrofoam cup) at the Turkey's Nest on North 12 @ Bedford.

Courtney
08-14-2007, 07:10 AM
Ok yay thanks.

PS I was just kidding around before about the hipsters.

thinnerair
08-14-2007, 07:17 AM
i like some of their glasses and their jesus beards.

Tylerdurden31
08-14-2007, 07:57 AM
nando's as hipster as they come...but he eats food

Tylerdurden31
08-14-2007, 07:59 AM
courtney...FYI...

watch out for cabs...my girlfriend just got hit by one backing up a one way street...she's okay, thank god

Courtney
08-19-2007, 01:42 PM
I am in Connecticut now. Yay? Thanks again for the suggestions everyone. As discussed:

Richard Serra in the MoMA sculpture garden:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1311/1173736769_ca5cf93ad8.jpg

Latte art at Cafe Grumpy, Greenpoint:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1234/1174579592_763bf22b7f.jpg

Mamooooooun's:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1340/1174572520_9ffabe7f5d.jpg

The National, South Street Seaport:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1023/1174575276_2323e806f0.jpg

The Treats Truck which I found outside of P.S.1:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1126/1174654426_58dc9c12a0.jpg

Warm Up in the P.S.1 courtyard:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1228/1173810617_d654ecaa63.jpg

Some other stuff happened too.

mob roulette
08-19-2007, 01:48 PM
Hi Courtney. Those are nice pictures. How were the National? Also, whatever you do, watch out for Hartford. It's like the drug-dealing capital of the world. They'll take your shoes, Courtney. Your SHOES.

Courtney
08-19-2007, 02:06 PM
Hi Mob. Thank you.

The National was ok. I am a big fan, so I am pretty much mostly happy just to hear them play. And I already was able to see them when the came to Los Angeles, so seeing them again was bonus.

Unfortunately, the Seaport experience was somewhat of a nightmare. I had been in Brooklyn with some friends taking advantage of happy hour at this place Enid's on the corner of McCarren Park where they have two-for-one specials and old school video games like Ms. Pacman and a photo booth, generally having a good time. By them time we decided to take the subway into Manhattan, it was pouring rain so we all got soaked. But mostly that was ok because we were all feeling happy anyway from the cheap drinks. So then we get to South Street Seaport itself which is one of those horrendous outdoor shopping malls with a Gap and Abercrombie and Fitch and who knows what, and there are a lot of clueless tourists who maybe don't really know who The National are but they're gonna stand up front and make a lot of noise and generally be obnoxious. And then the sound quality was pretty horrible and songs with quiet parts like Slow Show which I love on the album sounded really tingy and feedback-y. So that sucked a little. But I still love The National. And Matt's singing seemed together which is good because I hear that he can get wasted and sloppy at free shows, although I haven't personally ever seen that.

Also Hartford is like the scourge of the nation. Worse than New Jersey. Seriously. I interned at the Wadsworth Atheneum there for six months. Scary city. Although they do have a very nice Carravagio painting so it ain't all bad.