PDA

View Full Version : I Want to Talk About David Bowie

full on idle
08-09-2007, 06:45 PM
Please rank and tell me your favorites and impressions. You're doing something good.

Here are the choices (don't tell me if I left something off, this is personal)

Space Oddity
The Man Who Sold the World
Hunky Dory
The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
Diamond Dogs
Young Americans
Low
Heroes
Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps)

Right now I'm at this:

5. The Man Who Sold the World
4. Space Oddity
3. Diamond Dogs
2. The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
1. Hunky Dory

I possess, but haven't gotten yet to deciding where to place Heroes and Scary Monsters. I don't have Low, I thought I did but I don't. Young Americans has 3 songs I like and too much cheesy saxophone.

Please discuss and contribute to my enrichment.

ps I know you probably already talked about Bowie in that albums thread but I'm vain and lazy. So.

mob roulette
08-09-2007, 06:53 PM
Young Americans was very good for its time. For what it was. I think it might have been more influential in Europe than it was here. Anyways, I might move it up in that list.

I'll get back to you on this.

canexplain
08-09-2007, 06:55 PM
Please rank and tell me your favorites and impressions. You're doing something good.

Here are the choices (don't tell me if I left something off, this is personal)

Space Oddity
Hunky Dory
Diamond Dogs
Young Americans
Low
Heroes

Right now I'm at this:

4. Space Oddity
3. Diamond Dogs
1. Hunky Dory

I possess, but haven't gotten yet to deciding where to place Heroes and Scary Monsters. I don't have Low, I thought I did but I don't. Young Americans has 3 songs I like and too much cheesy saxophone.

Please discuss and contribute to my enrichment.

ps I know you probably already talked about Bowie in that albums thread but I'm vain and lazy. So.
i saw david do all these gigs.... ziggy was the best sorry ....as far as a show i should say ... ziggy and the spiders .. you didnt mention it, but the most "boreing" was thin white duke ........... i was so used to the over the top light shows and visuals, and then david came out in a white suit, and all of the lights were black and white, it was just plain weird .. sort of vegas .... cr**** but next to neil, bowie may be my hero ... best up close show ... area 2 i think is was , and alll of those pices are on a different pc grrrrr....

JustSteve
08-09-2007, 06:57 PM
i've heard he gives great handjobs.

full on idle
08-09-2007, 06:58 PM
It's really hard for me to read your posts c-ron rado, I'm not gonna lie.

I think you said you have concert photos?

Rank the albums.

full on idle
08-09-2007, 06:58 PM
i've heard he gives great handjobs.

OK PEOPLE FORGOTABOUTSTEVE MADE THE JOKE IT'S BEEN DONE.

mob roulette
08-09-2007, 07:01 PM
Your top 5 are probably pretty close, but why Diamond Dogs at #3? What is it about that one that does it for you?

full on idle
08-09-2007, 07:02 PM
It reminds me of Zappa. Where do you put it?

miscorrections
08-09-2007, 07:12 PM
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s226/miscorrections/bowiecat1.jpg

i'm sorry, i had to. when i think of bowie i think of heterochromia even before i think about the music.

full on idle
08-09-2007, 07:15 PM
That's because you're 12.

full on idle
08-09-2007, 07:15 PM
sorry, 19 or something.

Alchemy
08-09-2007, 07:21 PM
What about David Bowie from Labyrinth? That's another incarnation.

Ziggy Stardust is my favorite though.

mountmccabe
08-09-2007, 07:24 PM
From those you listed:

Low
Diamond Dogs
Heroes

I don't have:

Space Oddity
Hunky Dory
Young Americans

I have but you didn't list:

Aladdin Sane
Outside
Station to Station
Earthling
Black Tie, White Noise
...hours

More comments to come.

mob roulette
08-09-2007, 07:35 PM
It reminds me of Zappa. Where do you put it?

1. Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders From Mars
2. Hunky Dory
3. The Man Who Sold The World
4. Space Oddity
5. Low
6. Young Americans
7. Station to Station
8. Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps)
9. Diamond Dogs
10. “Heroes”
11. Lodger
12. Aladdin Sane
13. David Bowie
14. Pin Ups

Ninth. But I sort of have misgivings about putting "Low" that high. You're right, this is harder than it looks.

woogie846
08-09-2007, 07:44 PM
The David Bowie episode of Flight of the Conchords was hilarious.

bballarl
08-09-2007, 07:46 PM

Just going to say that.

Alchemy
08-09-2007, 07:52 PM
This is a freaky thread. Is this thread freaking you out?

mountmccabe
08-09-2007, 07:53 PM
Andrew you should be on AIM right now.

Also I probably have that ep of FOTC on the DVR. I may work up the urge to get up and watch it. But right now I am listening to John Dowland.

bballarl
08-09-2007, 07:54 PM
Why should I be on AIM?

mob roulette
08-09-2007, 07:57 PM

Funnier than Extras? I still have not seen this Conchords show.

mountmccabe
08-09-2007, 08:06 PM
Why should I be on AIM?

It'll make it easier for me to mock you. Or something like that.

The first Bowie album I got was Earthling. Yeah, I'm a ridiculous person. I enjoyed it quite a bit. "I'm Afraid of Americans" was a personal favorite. Then I got Outside which was so much better it wasn't even funny. Then I got Black Tie White Noise which I realize isn't very good overall but "Jump They Say" is a fantastic track and there are some other good ones. Then Heathen came out and I got that and it was ehh.

WAIT!!! NO!! It was ...hours. I never got Heathen.

At any rate I was aware of old Bowie and really liked the songs "Space Oddity" and "Heroes" for example but his was a vast and confusing catalog and I never quite jumped in.

Then I got convinced that I would love the Berlin albums and got Low and everything changed. Cause damn. And then came the random stab into The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and yeah, yummy.

mob roulette
08-09-2007, 08:09 PM
There is more than one Bowie. There is only one Bowie, but there is more than one of him too.

mob roulette
08-09-2007, 08:19 PM
Also, KXCI is playing the live BBC version of "Five Years" as we speak. Spooky.

lovelymeg
08-09-2007, 08:25 PM
i saw david do all these gigs.... ziggy was the best sorry ....as far as a show i should say ... ziggy and the spiders .. and alll of those pices are on a different pc grrrrr....

I am way jealous. and find those pics!! haha

lovelymeg
08-09-2007, 08:27 PM

Right now I'm at this:

4. Space Oddity
3. Diamond Dogs
1. Hunky Dory

why did you choose this order? why hunky dory over ziggy?

algunz
08-09-2007, 10:18 PM
Why rank what stands above most of what is out today?

You say it's personal, are you gonna die?

mob roulette
08-09-2007, 10:28 PM
Meg should qualify her question with a list of her own. She's right, but she should still qualify it.

fatbastard
08-09-2007, 11:03 PM
http://images.wikia.com/muppet/images/2/2d/Character.jareth.jpg

bmack86
08-09-2007, 11:24 PM
Here's what I have chronologically

1969-Space Oddity
1970-The Man Who Sold the World
1971-Hunky Dory
1972-Ziggy Stardust
1973-Aladdin Sane
1973-Pin Ups
1974-David Live
1974-Diamond Dogs
1975-Young Americans
1976-Station to Station
1977-Low
1977-"Heroes"
1978-David Stage
1979-Lodger
1980-Scary Monsters
1983-Lets Dance
1984-Tonight
1987-Never Let Me Down
1993-Black Tie White Noise
1994-Buddha of Suburbia
1995-Outside
1997-Deram Anthology
1997-Earthling
1999-Hours
2000-Bowie at the Beeb
2002-Heathen
2003-Reality

And, ranked
1.Hunky Dory
2.Low
3.Ziggy Stardust
4.Scary Monsters
5.Station to Station
6."Heroes"
7.Lodger
8.The Man Who Sold the World
9.Lets Dance
10.Space Oddity
11.Aladdin Sane
12.Young Americans
13.Pin Ups
14.Diamond Dogs
15.David Stage
16.Heathen
17.Earthling
18.Hours
19.Reality
20.Bowie at the Beeb
21.Deram Anthology
22.David Live
23.Black Tie White Noise
24.Buddha of Suburbia
25.Never Let Me Down

fatbastard
08-09-2007, 11:32 PM
What album is loving the alien on?

bmack86
08-09-2007, 11:57 PM
Tonight

Down Rodeo
08-10-2007, 12:45 AM
I happen to be listening to Ziggy Stardust right now. I'm just getting into Bowie, but I like what I've heard so far, which is this album and The Man Who Sold The World. Any recommendations for which album I should get next?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-10-2007, 04:24 AM
My personal fav Bowie albums are a little odd since it was his newer stuff I got into first.

Top 3 albums
Low
Earthling
Outside

I could never name my top bowie songs though...it would be too much!

TomAz
08-10-2007, 05:49 AM
I'm going to be a heretic and state that Bowie compilations are better than Bowie albums. Changesonebowie and the Sound + Vision boxed set are awesome. Every one of his regular albums, though, have moments of what, to me, sound like drudgery .. extended stretches where it's just boring as hell. When Bowie has a good song, he's among the best; but unfortunately he's also done a lot -- A LOT -- of mediocre songs. Ziggy Stardust and Station to Station are really the only albums I can stand to listen to all the way through without jumping tracks.

I recognize this is heresy and fully expect to be flamed.

clarky123
08-10-2007, 05:53 AM
When Bowie has a good song, he's among the best; but unfortunately he's also done a lot -- A LOT -- of mediocre songs.

No, you won't get flamed, it is widely acknowledged that most of his songs are absolute dross.

canexplain
08-10-2007, 05:55 AM
It's really hard for me to read your posts c-ron rado, I'm not gonna lie.

I think you said you have concert photos?

Rank the albums.

i know i kind of ramble on a lot when i post .. that is why my responses are usually short .... and yes, i have photos up close of bowie for the area show, and a bunch of pics from the glass spider tour (the outside one where they had that giant spider) and one other show too ... i will try to find them and post them ... cr****

Abe Lincoln
08-10-2007, 08:15 AM
Low
Hunky Dory
Station To Station
Let's Dance
Live at the Santa Monica Civic (bootleg)
Aladdin Sane
Heroes
Diamond Dogs
Young Americans
Stage
Space Oddity
Pin-Ups
Lodger
Tonight
My additions in italics.I'm not going to even bother putting stuff I haven't heard or the dreck(Never Let Me Down,Labyrinth) on there.

mob roulette
08-10-2007, 08:30 AM
Here's what I have chronologically

1969-Space Oddity
1970-The Man Who Sold the World
1971-Hunky Dory
1972-Ziggy Stardust
1973-Aladdin Sane
1973-Pin Ups
1974-David Live
1974-Diamond Dogs
1975-Young Americans
1976-Station to Station
1977-Low
1977-"Heroes"
1978-David Stage
1979-Lodger
1980-Scary Monsters
1983-Lets Dance
1984-Tonight
1987-Never Let Me Down
1993-Black Tie White Noise
1994-Buddha of Suburbia
1995-Outside
1997-Deram Anthology
1997-Earthling
1999-Hours
2000-Bowie at the Beeb
2002-Heathen
2003-Reality

And, ranked
1.Hunky Dory
2.Low
3.Ziggy Stardust
4.Scary Monsters
5.Station to Station
6."Heroes"
7.Lodger
8.The Man Who Sold the World
9.Lets Dance
10.Space Oddity
11.Aladdin Sane
12.Young Americans
13.Pin Ups
14.Diamond Dogs
15.David Stage
16.Heathen
17.Earthling
18.Hours
19.Reality
20.Bowie at the Beeb
21.Deram Anthology
22.David Live
23.Black Tie White Noise
24.Buddha of Suburbia
25.Never Let Me Down

Yeah, but you should cut that off around 1980 or so. Two completely different Bowies. Otherwise you're skewing the numbers. For example, I don't understand how you and Abe Lincoln have Let's Dance ranked so high. It's commercial and bouncy, but the songs themselves are mostly crap, save "China Girl" which isn't even his. This record is definitely a product of its age, an age that sucked pretty royally for big commercial pop music.

I'm going to be a heretic and state that Bowie compilations are better than Bowie albums. Changesonebowie and the Sound + Vision boxed set are awesome. Every one of his regular albums, though, have moments of what, to me, sound like drudgery .. extended stretches where it's just boring as hell. When Bowie has a good song, he's among the best; but unfortunately he's also done a lot -- A LOT -- of mediocre songs. Ziggy Stardust and Station to Station are really the only albums I can stand to listen to all the way through without jumping tracks.

I recognize this is heresy and fully expect to be flamed.

This is exactly right, actually. He's worse than Dylan in that department.

Yablonowitz
08-10-2007, 08:37 AM
This is exactly right, actually. He's worse than Dylan in that department.

Except that Ziggy Stardust and Hunky Dory don't have mediocre songs at all on them.

I'm stupid, I didn't realize that "China Girl" wasn't his song. Fuck I love that song. Who wrote it?

I also like the song "Blue Jean" one hell of a lot, but the rest of that album is pretty poopy.

TomAz
08-10-2007, 08:39 AM
China Girl is co-written Iggy Pop/Bowie.

TomAz
08-10-2007, 08:40 AM
I don't understand why folks have Scary Monsters rated so high.

Abe Lincoln
08-10-2007, 08:40 AM
Let's Dance is his most joyous album.China Girl is his song.He wrote it with Iggy Pop for The Idiot album,which he produced and played on.

Abe Lincoln
08-10-2007, 08:49 AM
I don't understand why folks have Scary Monsters rated so high.
I agree.Ashes To Ashes is a great song,and Up The Hill Backwards is passable,but the rest is sub-par.Also I shouldn't lump Tonight in as dreck.I actually enjoyed it when it came out,especially the title song and the God Only Knows cover.I'd say it ranks just above Scary Monsters.

mob roulette
08-10-2007, 08:59 AM
Except that Ziggy Stardust and Hunky Dory don't have mediocre songs at all on them.

Exactly. Hence their top 5 position on most of these charts.

Let's Dance is his most joyous album.China Girl is his song.He wrote it with Iggy Pop for The Idiot album,which he produced and played on.

Iggy's version is about ten times better though, IMO.

jackstraw94086
08-10-2007, 09:01 AM
this version is way better than the one they did on the HBO show.

iR2L98gobTQ

vinylmartyr
08-10-2007, 09:20 AM
http://a951.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/00325/05/98/325998950_m.jpg

PotVsKtl
08-10-2007, 10:27 AM
What the fuck. Every song on Scary Monsters is a winner.

bmack86
08-10-2007, 10:29 AM
Let's Dance was the first Bowie album I ever heard, as it was the only one my Dad liked in the early 90s (I've since broadened his horizons) so I have a special spot for it. I also love Scary Monsters. It flows really well.

jackstraw94086
08-10-2007, 10:40 AM
Let's Dance was the first Bowie album I ever heard

A friend of mine in high school once threw crescent wrench through a TV while Bowie was pretending to play SRV's guitar solo in the video for Let's Dance.

He's a functional alcoholic these days.

lovelymeg
08-10-2007, 10:40 AM
Meg should qualify her question with a list of her own. She's right, but she should still qualify it.

1. Ziggy Stardust. hands down.
2. Hunky Dory
3. Space Oddity
4. Low
5. Man Who Sold the World

meant to post this before but I think when I insterted the quote it deleted it.

bmack86
08-10-2007, 10:43 AM
A friend of mine in high school once threw crescent wrench through a TV while Bowie was pretending to play SRV's guitar solo in the video for Let's Dance.

That is a heartwarming anecdote. I aspire to those levels.

TomAz
08-10-2007, 11:09 AM

didn't bowie do that because he and SRV could not come to financial agreement on SRV joining his touring band? This was before SRV really hit it big, probably after his first album I think.

amyzzz
08-10-2007, 11:19 AM
No, you won't get flamed, it is widely acknowledged that most of his songs are absolute dross.
I was afraid of that. I've only got his Best Of, and I think I borrowed the Ziggy Stardust CD from the library once. I've been debating whether or not to go whole hog into Bowie.

bmack86
08-10-2007, 11:23 AM
Bowie's an adventure, and i don't think it's Widely Acknowledged that most of his songs are dross. The man wrote tons of great stuff. Lots of it wasn't on the radio. Its worth checking out.

PotVsKtl
08-10-2007, 11:26 AM
I'd venture to guess it's more widely acknowledged that clarky123 is a festering unexcised rectal polyp with an empty pit in his soul and a penchant for filling it with cast-off American third-tier celebrity laundry deposits than that most of Bowie's songs are "dross."

jackstraw94086
08-10-2007, 12:14 PM
didn't bowie do that because he and SRV could not come to financial agreement on SRV joining his touring band? This was before SRV really hit it big, probably after his first album I think.

It was actually just before his first album. Bowie and Jackson Browne both discovered Bowie at Montreaux Jazz Fest in 82 (they were probably the only two in the audience who weren't booing). I don't recall ever hearing anything about conflict between Bowie and SRV though. Immediately after doing a couple songs for Bowie's album he took Jackson Browne's offer of free studio time and recorded Texas Flood.

bmack86
08-10-2007, 12:19 PM
Bowie and Jackson Browne both discovered Bowie at Montreaux Jazz Fest in 82

Excellent.

jackstraw94086
08-10-2007, 12:23 PM
Excellent.

very funny. I wont even edit that now just to keep you amused.

bmack86
08-10-2007, 12:25 PM
The way its phrased it sounds like David Bowie had his first sexual encounter with Jackson Browne there. Oh the intrigue.

PotVsKtl
08-10-2007, 12:27 PM
David Bowie's first sexual encounter was with the hand of God.

TomAz
08-10-2007, 12:29 PM
I don't recall ever hearing anything about conflict between Bowie and SRV though.

it's been a few years.. shit. a lot of years but my recollection was that Bowie wanted SRV to tour with him and SRV said he would if Double Trouble could open and Bowie's people said no way, and so SRV said he wouldn't do the tour. Bowie's manager was reported on MTV to have said some spiteful thing about SRV blowing the opportunity to have a huge career or something. maybe it wasn't a conflict, but it seemed to be reported that way.

higgybaby23
08-10-2007, 02:04 PM
I've spent the last 5 or so years wading through Bowie's discography and have seen him live twice.(95 w/NIN and 05 solo) Hunky Dory and Station to Station stand out in my mind as two of his more solid albums.

My personal favorite is Low. I feel Low was decades ahead of its time. It also has a fairly timeless quality to it despite the heavy use of electronic elements throughout.

Bowie is one of the few aging rockers who haven't faded with time. His voice was strong and vital when I saw him a couple of years ago.

breakjaw
08-10-2007, 03:16 PM
My personal favorite is Low. I feel Low was decades ahead of its time. It also has a fairly timeless quality to it despite the heavy use of electronic elements throughout.
I couldn't agree more.I think this one and Ziggy are the 2 artistic triumphs he'll be remembered for.Scary Monsters isn't that bad.I like the title track and Ashes To Ashes alot.I'm a little sick of Fashion though.Of the ones FOI mentioned I'd have to go:
Low
Hunky Dory
Heroes
Young Americans
Space Oddity
Diamond Dogs

clarky123
08-10-2007, 04:00 PM
China Girl is co-written Iggy Pop/Bowie.

wrong

Alchemy
08-10-2007, 04:04 PM
wrong

Are you sure? It's on Iggy Pop's album that Bowie produced. I'm pretty sure Tom is right on that one.

clarky123
08-10-2007, 04:17 PM
Its a myth. Look deeper.

Alchemy
08-10-2007, 04:21 PM
Because of its ambiguous and in some cases non-existent credits, misconceptions have arisen over the years as to who did what on the album. It has generally been taken for granted that Iggy Pop wrote the lyrics while David Bowie contributed the music. Pop has since claimed that their approach was more collaborative, some music being Pop’s and some lyrics Bowie’s.

That's what the internets say, but... the internets has said many things before. It doesn't matter, anyways. The song is in existance by some way, and I am grateful for its presence.

canexplain
08-10-2007, 04:24 PM
well if you can believe wika, it does say what tom said .. cr****

clarky123
08-10-2007, 04:25 PM
Please don't argue against yourself Alchem, if people can't stop that I'm NOT coming back and that is your loss not mine.

breakjaw
08-10-2007, 05:16 PM
well if you can believe wika, it does say what tom said .. cr****

China Girl (song)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from China Girl)
Jump to: navigation, search
This article is about the song. For the film, see China Girl (film).
"China Girl"

Single by David Bowie
from the album Let's Dance
"China Girl" is a song which was co-written by Iggy Pop and David Bowie, for Iggy Pop's album The Idiot. However it was not popularized until it was released by David Bowie on the album Let's Dance.

An edit of David Bowie's 1977 version was also released as a single.

Under the auspices of Nile Rodgers, the song was given a much more commercial sheen than the sinister Iggy Pop version.

It continues the theme established in the video for "Let’s Dance". The song was again edited for single release, but attracted more attention for its striking video. David Mallet’s clip, shot in Australia, featured Geeling Ng lying naked in the surf with Bowie (a visual reference to the film From Here to Eternity). The latter’s bared buttocks saw the video generate some lurid tabloid headlines, though the clip as it is went on to win an MTV award. The UK single release reached #2 in the charts, and the US release #10.

The song was a regular for Bowie’s live shows for the rest of the 1980s, and resurfaced again from 1999.
Mmmmm,Geeling Ng.

mountmccabe
08-10-2007, 06:32 PM
Pete Yorn played "China Girl" at the Coachella in 2002. Sayin'.

So maybe it's really his song.

dorkfish
08-10-2007, 06:53 PM
y13rnq_oZp0

Nomi Bowie was a weird Bowie

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-11-2007, 08:05 AM
I've spent the last 5 or so years wading through Bowie's discography and have seen him live twice.(95 w/NIN and 05 solo) Hunky Dory and Station to Station stand out in my mind as two of his more solid albums.

Bowie is one of the few aging rockers who haven't faded with time. His voice was strong and vital when I saw him a couple of years ago.

You know if forgot about about Station to Station on my list of Bowie albums...I remember I bought this album home the same day my brother got Korn's 3rd album. What a contrast! But I fell in love with the album and that was all I listen to for a few months straight....How could I miss that album on my list! Only 6 tracks but those tracks are SOOO expansive! Station to Station is one of my all time favorite Bowie songs (Word has it that the track inspired Kraftwerk's Trans-Europe Express) and Wild Is The Wind is probably one of his best vocal performances..OH! And TVC 15 has a great story behind it, apparently it is based on a story that Iggy Pop told him about his TV eating his girlfriend (He was high at the time, but I didn't need to tell you that!).

Alchemy
08-11-2007, 08:21 AM
Please don't argue against yourself Alchem, if people can't stop that I'm NOT coming back and that is your loss not mine.

I don't even know what the Hell you just typed.

Hannahrain
08-11-2007, 08:38 AM

You are an egocentric asshole. Please follow through on this.

clarky123
08-15-2007, 03:43 AM
You are an egocentric asshole. Please follow through on this.

Oh baby just you shut your mouth - (Iggy Pop).

sydaud
08-15-2007, 05:09 PM
Damn, there is NO love apparently for Aladdin Sane.

1. Aladdin Sane
2. Low
3. Hunky Dory
4. Young Americans
5. Heroes

"Ziggy" to me just drags; it's one of those albums that I am supposed to love as a fan of the era, but it just has never done anything for me.

Now, on the other hand, "Aladdin Sane" just flat out rocks. "Watch That Man", "Panic In Detroit","The Prettiest Star", "The Jean Genie" and the title track all absolutely rule. The only misstep on the entire album is the cover of "Let's Spend The Night Together". Released right after "Ziggy", I just feel that it's a more focused album.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-16-2007, 07:01 AM

1. Aladdin Sane
2. Low
3. Hunky Dory
4. Young Americans
5. Heroes

"Ziggy" to me just drags; it's one of those albums that I am supposed to love as a fan of the era, but it just has never done anything for me.

Now, on the other hand, "Aladdin Sane" just flat out rocks. "Watch That Man", "Panic In Detroit","The Prettiest Star", "The Jean Genie" and the title track all absolutely rule. The only misstep on the entire album is the cover of "Let's Spend The Night Together". Released right after "Ziggy", I just feel that it's a more focused album.

Truth be told I have all the 1970's Bowie albums BAR Aladdin sane...just something I never got around too. even though it contains some of his best stuff...

TomAz
08-16-2007, 08:37 AM
wrong

In a board with no shortage of people talking out of their asses, clarky here is the champ. He spews more dubious swill than anyone.

mountmccabe
08-16-2007, 08:52 AM
I really liked the fashion in which Hannah told him to stimulate his pleasure center directly.

Or at least that's how I read it.

TomAz
08-16-2007, 09:01 AM
http://www.brooklyn.cuny.edu/bc/spotlite/slpress/slapped6.jpg

M Sparks
08-16-2007, 09:31 AM
Funnier than Extras? I still have not seen this Conchords show.

I'm not going to compare, but it's a frickin' riot.

David Bowie kept appearing to Brett in dreams, but always from a different era. He would introduce himself by saying "Hey Brett, it's me, 1985 David Bowie from the film Labyrinth."

They had a Daft Punk gag a few weeks ago too.

Flight Of The Conchords is to Coachella as Tenacious D is to Ozzfest.

kreutz2112
08-16-2007, 09:41 AM
I agree, FOTC is great...best show of the summer. HBO still has not decided if they are going to keep it. A LETTER MUST BE WRITTEN!!!

bballarl
08-16-2007, 09:43 AM
David Bowie continues to confuse me. I like some of his records but don't understand the hero worship.

mountmccabe
08-16-2007, 09:47 AM
Some people feel the need to worship things. Don't let that bother you.

Also I've decided that while Flight of the Conchords is a humerous show it is dragged down by the songs - even if they each have their brief moments of hilarity - and it'sn't funny enough to get through that.

PotVsKtl
08-16-2007, 09:51 AM
The hero worship hinges on the fact that he's a fucking hero. He owns the 1970s. The entire decade. It's his.

bballarl
08-16-2007, 09:51 AM
I disagree with you John. Though last week's song wasn't super funny.

bballarl
08-16-2007, 09:52 AM
The hero worship hinges on the fact that he's a fucking hero. He owns the 1970s. The entire decade. It's his.

Marc Bolan was cooler.

mountmccabe
08-16-2007, 09:54 AM
Neil Young.

mountmccabe
08-16-2007, 09:54 AM
I disagree with you John.

Please choose your weapon.

PotVsKtl
08-16-2007, 09:55 AM
Marc Bolan was effectively done by 1972. He is disqualified from being cooler than David Bowie. I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but David Bowie owns an entire decade.

bballarl
08-16-2007, 10:05 AM
You're right about Bolan being done by 72. I just like Marc Bolan. Only two of his records are top notch.

clarky123
08-19-2007, 01:00 PM
In a board with no shortage of people talking out of their asses, clarky here is the champ. He spews more dubious swill than anyone.

Agreed, but at least I did not have to refer to American world dictionary of Wikilopepia...or whatever.

clarky123
08-19-2007, 01:04 PM
Marc Bolan was effectively done by 1972. He is disqualified from being cooler than David Bowie. I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but David Bowie owns an entire decade.

No Pot, you own an entire decade of being a knob.

clarky123
08-19-2007, 01:18 PM
google and drown in your own vomit or just wikropelia it!

clarky123
08-19-2007, 01:24 PM
Sorry, I apologise....we have just been introduced to The Bourne Identity....its been dubbed from American back into the the real English.

Abe Lincoln
08-19-2007, 09:23 PM

1. Aladdin Sane
2. Low
3. Hunky Dory
4. Young Americans
5. Heroes

I loved "Aladdin Sane" enough to rank it seventh.I completely agree about the Stones cover and "Watch That man" and "Drive-In Saturday" feel too much like Bowie trying to be Elton John for me to rank the album higher.

Sorry, I apologise....we have just been introduced to The Bourne Identity....its been dubbed from American back into the the real English.
Wot's he on about,then?

clarky123
08-21-2007, 08:05 AM

Dubious swill! Check your sources instead of quoting verbatim from wikiopedia. For christ sakes, I could go on and change all manner of "facts" on there. Search around, do proper research and you will discover that "most serious people" do not think DB contributed lyrically to the song. So, stick your dubious swill comment up your ass.

TomAz
08-21-2007, 08:32 AM
Cite sources.

Also, consider the following pearl of wisdom:

"The Argument from Intimidation is a confession of intellectual impotence." (Ayn Rand)

Yablonowitz
08-21-2007, 08:39 AM
Dubious swill! Check your sources instead of quoting verbatim from wikiopedia. For christ sakes, I could go on and change all manner of "facts" on there. Search around, do proper research and you will discover that "most serious people" do not think DB contributed lyrically to the song. So, stick your dubious swill comment up your ass.

The onus is on you to provide a more reliable and convincing source. Unless you're talking out your ass, which is what it looks like from this vantage point.

canexplain
08-21-2007, 08:43 AM
Neil Young.

one day people will really understand how great neil was and is ... cr****

mountmccabe
08-21-2007, 08:59 AM
I'mn't convinced clarky123 is a real person.

This is a problem. I realize this.

TomAz
08-21-2007, 09:09 AM
I'mn't convinced clarky123 is a real person.

This is a problem. I realize this.

The bigger problem is "I'mn't". You need to see someone about that before it spreads to other parts of your vocabulary.

bballarl
08-21-2007, 09:27 AM
C'mon John. Learn to type/speak English. Stupid.

mountmccabe
08-21-2007, 10:14 AM
I like apostrophes.

TomAz
08-21-2007, 10:19 AM
but would you actually say "I'mn't"?

I mean, "I'd've" is fine. but "I'mn't"? is that some upper midwest thing?

mountmccabe
08-21-2007, 11:49 AM
I'll slur 'em 'gether something fierce but I don't know 'bout goin' that far. I guess what I'd say'd sound somethin' more like "I'm'ot" but on the page (screen) that's more difficult to parse.

full on idle
08-21-2007, 12:13 PM
slur m'gether

woogie846
08-21-2007, 12:28 PM
Daft Punk and Let's Dance are the only two things on my iPod that are guaranteed to make me do the cabbagepatch on the spot, no matter where I am or who is watching.

woogie846
08-21-2007, 12:29 PM
And that's a fact.

full on idle
08-21-2007, 12:36 PM
s'a g'dance

gaypalmsprings
08-21-2007, 12:38 PM
David Bowie is so gay!

rage patton
08-21-2007, 12:39 PM
L'k'ose b'k!!!

full on idle
08-21-2007, 12:49 PM
HI GAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

clarky123
08-22-2007, 01:55 AM
Also, consider the following pearl of wisdom:
"The Argument from Intimidation is a confession of intellectual impotence." (Ayn Rand)

Precisely my point, well done.

clarky123
08-22-2007, 02:08 AM
The onus is on you to provide a more reliable and convincing source. Unless you're talking out your ass, which is what it looks like from this vantage point.

The anus is on you for jumping into a discussion where you have played no part. You have no vantage point Yab. Do you actually know what we are talking about, have you ever seen DB? The point I am making, just to bring you up to speed, is that I and many other people do not believe DB wrote the lyrics for CG, whats difficult to understand about that - I'm also bored with people jumping up and licking other peoples asses on this so the argument\discussion is over.

breakjaw
08-22-2007, 02:15 AM
I'm also bored with people jumping up and licking other peoples asses on this so the argument\discussion is over.

Something DB did not get bored with until after he wrote CG with IP (or JO if you prefer real initials).

TomAz
08-22-2007, 06:37 AM
I and many other people do not believe DB wrote the lyrics for CG, whats difficult to understand about that

People believe lots of crazy shit. Doesn't make them right.

clarky123
08-22-2007, 07:04 AM
People believe lots of crazy shit. Doesn't make them right.

It just occurred to me why you have 5,800 posts Tom!

mob roulette
08-22-2007, 07:23 AM
Just to clarify, when I called it Iggy Pop's song, I meant that his version came out first and that I enjoy it more than Bowie's. But even I must admit that some of those lyrics seem beyond the Igster. The line "visions of swastikas in my head burn for everyone", for example, sounds totally like Bowie. That whole verse really.

clarky123
08-22-2007, 07:25 AM
Ok, it's not Laughing Gnome, sue me for my opinion!

luveebunni08
08-22-2007, 07:38 AM
I have:

Diamond Dogs
Low
Space Oddity
Hunky Dory
Young Americans
Heroes
Aladdin Sane
Pin Ups
Black Tie White Noise
Earthling
Heathen
hours...
Labyrinth
Pinups
Reality
The Buddha of Suburbia
1. Outside

but my first david bowie albums i got were birthday gifts from my brother (Low and Hunky Dory). "A New Career in a New Town" is my absolute favorite song. something about eno and bowie makes for instant happiness, for me anyway.

dream: for bowie to headline coachella (he's amazing live. i was fortunate enough to repay my brother for his birthday with tickets to see bowie)......and my bloody valentine to open for him.

clarky123
08-22-2007, 07:41 AM
That's a happy story with a fucking pleasant ending. Lets have more of these folks.

TomAz
09-05-2007, 08:17 AM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270159292971

kreutz2112
09-05-2007, 09:32 AM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270159292971

£19.00, that seems like a steal? Am I right?

TomAz
09-05-2007, 10:45 AM
it was 4.99 when I posted it.

sydaud
09-05-2007, 01:08 PM
I totally don't mind being told that I am wrong about this, but in my adult years I have come to take the lyrics to China Girl as an ode to heroin (China White).

Oh oh oh ohoo little china girl
Oh oh oh ohoo little china girl

I could escape this feeling, with my china girl
I feel a wreck without my, little china girl
I hear her heart beating, loud as thunder
Saw the stars crashing

Im a mess without my, little china girl
Wake up mornings wheres my, little china girl
I hear hearts beating, loud as thunder
I saw they stars crashing down

I feel an tragic like an marlon brando
When I look at my china girl
I could pretend that nothing really meant too much
When I look at my china girl

I stumble into town just like a sacred cow
Visions of swastikas in my head
Plans for everyone
Its in the white of my eyes

My little china girl
You shouldnt mess with me
Ill ruin everything you are
Ill give you television
Ill give you eyes of blue
Ill give you men who want to rule the world

And when I get excited
My little china girl says
Oh baby just you shut your mouth
She says ... sh
She says
She says

Yes, I know the video shows a Chinese woman, but what was going to be shown? Pictures of folks snorting heroin? Knowing that Iggy had some hand in this song and he was hooked on heroin throughout the mid 70's helped me formulate this idea.

Just sayin'....

TomAz
09-05-2007, 01:13 PM
My little china girl
You shouldnt mess with me
Ill ruin everything you are
Ill give you television
Ill give you eyes of blue
Ill give you men who want to rule the world

sounds like a hamfisted rant against cultural imperialism there

sydaud
09-05-2007, 01:21 PM
sounds like a hamfisted rant against cultural imperialism there

Ok, maybe not that verse, ha ha....

TomAz
09-05-2007, 01:29 PM
it could be though that Iggy wrote it about heroin and then David added that bit so that it wasn't so obvious. to make it murkier. to make it artsier. too bad it's such a hamfisted verse.

mob roulette
09-05-2007, 04:44 PM
That's actually my favorite verse. But I am a hamfist. Or hamfister. Whichever you prefer.

Also, I used to think it was "man-o-wars" when I was a kid. Which would have been even hammier.

RotationSlimWang
09-05-2007, 04:47 PM
I stumble into town just like a sacred cow
Visions of swastikas in my head
Plans for everyone
Its in the white of my eyes

This verse is possibly one of the absolute creepiest in all of music, by the way.

PC-2 Violence
12-11-2009, 11:13 AM
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c46/NoAh2323/bowielettersmaller.jpg

chairmenmeow47
12-11-2009, 11:21 AM
it's scary how much that reminds me of the letter ringo starr wrote marge on the simpsons, lol.

Gribbz
12-11-2009, 11:34 AM
it's scary how much that reminds me of the letter ringo starr wrote marge on the simpsons, lol.

That's immediately what I thought of too. That, and how terrible The Simpsons has become.

LooseAtTheZoo
12-11-2009, 11:41 AM
It's incredible to think about, but he really was just like any other artist starting out and hoping to make a career.

"I hope one day to get to America" - It's fun to imagine how young and excited and naive he is at this point given how he became a music legend. But all music legends start out as just another guy/

PC-2 Violence
12-11-2009, 11:59 AM
This is an amazing letter. I'm surprised he did not offer her the presidency of his American fan club.

paulthomasanderson
12-16-2009, 09:31 AM
So Simon Cowell wants David Bowie to guest on the next series of his X-Factor show. Isn't that lovely?