PDA

View Full Version : lollapalooza bonnaroo coachella 2007: who came out on top?!

scoop49er
08-06-2007, 08:17 AM
well all 3 festivals are now over and its kind of nice to look back and see how they did since these are the big 3 festivals in america.

going to them and reading about them, it seems like coachella and bonnaroo maintained strong status. especially coachella since they can brag about the sell out 2 1/2 months before the festival was put on. bonnaroo was able to grab major acts and maintained a strong diverse lineup. coachella was able to get rage and also got a memorable performance from amy winehouse and other acts gave standout performances..

lollapalooza seems to be in just a little bit of trouble.. it seems they are starting to get eaten up by the corporate monster and they also seem to be making mistakes by letting the vip group get the best parts of the park.

lollapalooza had the name and right to say it brought the thought of festivals from europe to the united states. but it also seems like they are the one festival that seems to destroy itself. they are gonna have to get away from the corporate side of things if they want to survive..

my opinion: i think coachella and bonnaroo have surpassed lollapalooza and are now in thier own league. both put on incredible lineups and it seems the vibe is always good. so from over here in california and by reading a bunch of articles from papers and concert goers who went i would rank it:

1a coachella
1b. bonnaroo

3 lollapalooza

just a topic...........

suprefan
08-06-2007, 08:23 AM
Coachella has always been in a league of its own. Lolla had a good idea, Perry just kept making it ''weaker''. Last year was solid, this year had some good ''leftovers'' from other festivals past.(DP to name one) Roo gets props for branching out and snagging The Police, The White Stripes and Tool and the hippies still came out in full force. Is healthy competition now, all 3 just have to keep pushing it and trying to get top talent and improve th festival goers experience and they will stay as fixated festivals in the U.S. for years to come. But who knows how Lolla ends up since they are shceduled during one of the toughest times of the year, mid summer. The majority of talent is overseas in Europe making ooodles more $$ by the European festivals. And most of them would rather come back to the U.S in the fall as it is.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-06-2007, 08:56 AM
I think Coachella has a ton of advantages that the other festivals don't.
Number 1, it is the first major festival of the year so it pretty much sets the course for other festivals to follow. Because it comes first it gets the major acts that everyone else gets later: Daft Punk, Rage, Tool, The Pixies, Radiohead, etc. So the other festivals tend to get the "left overs" so to speak (Honestly though I don't ever want to reference Daft Punk as a left over). It also has the name brand so it is usually on the forefront of what people want. Yes it does stumble sometimes, I think the whole Madonna thing last year was a good idea in theory but it didn't work as well as they might of hope. But still as least they tried and are always trying different things. If it does have weaknesses (Which all do) it is that it is getting to the point of rehashing headliners. Did we really need Red Hot Chili Peppers to headline 4 years after they did it already? I loved Bjork (I am probably one of the biggest, if not biggest Bjork fan on the board) and Rage but both headlined already even though it was 5 and 7 years prior. And the one thing that Bonnaroo does have that Coachella doesn't is longer set times. Seriously why doesn't Coachella simply get fewer quality acts and give them longer set times? We have 3 days now so I don't think it will be that hard. I would have loved for Sigur Ros and Bjork to have played longer sets. Especially Sigur Ros since the small set didn't let them expand the music like they normally would have. But Competition is perfectly healthy since it keeps both on their toes. So the more festivals the better. Though it my mind Coachella will always be my personal favorite regardless...even though Roo did get Radiohead last year :)

canexplain
08-06-2007, 09:07 AM
until coachella has in and out for the fest, it will always lag behind with one of the biggest disadvantages it has .... cr****

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-06-2007, 09:09 AM
until coachella has in and out for the fest, it will always lag behind with one of the biggest disadvantages it has .... cr****

Oops! Forgot to add that as well :D

disgustipated
08-06-2007, 09:10 AM
Agreed. I see no reason for not letting campers have in and out.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-06-2007, 09:13 AM
Agreed. I see no reason for not letting campers have in and out.

You think as campers you should at least be given that privilege..At least that is how it was at Fuji Rock the year I went...

bballarl
08-06-2007, 09:21 AM
I'm disappointed we aren't provided smoking jackets, fine whiskey and plush velvet couches at Coachella. They should fucking change that.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-06-2007, 09:24 AM
I'm disappointed we aren't provided smoking jackets, fine whiskey and plush velvet couches at Coachella. They should fucking change that.

Thats is for when we do our music festival...stop telling everyone our secrets!!

thinnerair
08-06-2007, 09:32 AM
i havent been to Bonaroo, but a few friends of mine that have been to the last 5 Coachellas went this year and told me that the overall vibe at Bonarroo is just incredible. There was just a great atmosphere and mellow mood. Everyone was cool and it didn't have as much of the fake tits and blackberry checking that has been showing up more and more at Coachella. The talent was spectacular this year, too...and I like their concept of their 'allstar jams' that they do each year.

It's hard to compare unless you actually go to all three, which is financially and geographically difficult.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-06-2007, 09:50 AM
i havent been to Bonaroo, but a few friends of mine that have been to the last 5 Coachellas went this year and told me that the overall vibe at Bonarroo is just incredible. There was just a great atmosphere and mellow mood. Everyone was cool and it didn't have as much of the fake tits and blackberry checking that has been showing up more and more at Coachella. The talent was spectacular this year, too...and I like their concept of their 'allstar jams' that they do each year.

It's hard to compare unless you actually go to all three, which is financially and geographically difficult.

I agree about it being hard to compare. I haven't been to Bonnaroo or Lolla yet. But you are right about the vibe thing. A radio station in Chicago interviewed Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood after last year's roo show and Thom kept raving about how nice the vibe was and that "they should spread it all over the place". I think the whole blackberry thing comes with the territory though since it is in So Cal.

canexplain
08-06-2007, 09:51 AM
i went to the first 7 lollas but not since they have changed and stopped roving .... been to bonnaroo and coachella both a number of times .. as much as i respect any thread, this one bugs me because its like asking if you like bowie's show better then daft punk ... both great in their own ways, and bad in there own ways .... if you want the vibe of a community festival, old hippie style, then its the roo, if you want well run, clean, a little antiseptic, but killer new and old bands then its coachella ... they are both great and everyone should hit both while they are still around ... cr****

disgustipated
08-06-2007, 09:54 AM
agreed cr****, two different beasts with different goals.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-06-2007, 09:58 AM
i went to the first 7 lollas but not since they have changed and stopped roving .... been to bonnaroo and coachella both a number of times .. as much as i respect any thread, this one bugs me because its like asking if you like bowie's show better then daft punk ... both great in their own ways, and bad in there own ways .... if you want the vibe of a community festival, old hippie style, then its the roo, if you want well run, clean, a little antiseptic, but killer new and old bands then its coachella ... they are both great and everyone should hit both while they are still around ... cr****

and this is why you are epic....

canexplain
08-06-2007, 10:28 AM
and this is why you are epic....

i thought i was because i am not dead yet :) cr**** and my goal is to hit the 50th yr anniversery of the original woodstock lol .. will someone please push me in with my wheelchair :) ... day in a life eh ..

Boourns
08-06-2007, 10:35 AM
Another thing about Coachella is they get those possibly-once-in-a-lifetime bookings that Bonnaroo and Lolla failed to provide, like Jarvis Cocker, JAMC, and Daft Punk. Well, obviously that wasn't the case for Daft Punk or Pixies, but nobody knew at the time that they would do so much touring afterwards.

summerkid
08-06-2007, 10:41 AM
Yeah, I'd like to go to the roo one year when i have the money, but I have no interest in lolla.

disgustipated
08-06-2007, 10:43 AM
Why no ACL love?

suprefan
08-06-2007, 10:58 AM
Cause ACL really gets all the leftovers and its just a blip on every bands tour schedule for the fall, not really a platform to showcase a new record and hype that comes more at the beginning of the year when more stuff gets released.

I think ins and outs would be cool. Obviously Stagecoach getting everything we would want(RV's, ins and outs, chairs allowed inside) was to cater to the audience because they couldnt be able to handle standing out all day in front of a stage without being able to take a nap in a lwn chair or something. I also want the food stagecoach has, who here wouldnt want some southern BBQ?(other than the vegey peeps)

canexplain
08-06-2007, 11:06 AM
Cause ACL really gets all the leftovers and its just a blip on every bands tour schedule for the fall, not really a platform to showcase a new record and hype that comes more at the beginning of the year when more stuff gets released.

I think ins and outs would be cool. Obviously Stagecoach getting everything we would want(RV's, ins and outs, chairs allowed inside) was to cater to the audience because they couldnt be able to handle standing out all day in front of a stage without being able to take a nap in a lwn chair or something. I also want the food stagecoach has, who here wouldnt want some southern BBQ?(other than the vegey peeps)

yea i dont get that, if stagecoach will let in and outs, then why not coachella, thats lame ..... i dont know, maybe its my age, but i like to go back to the campground and get ready for "stage two" the night acts or whatever .... a real fest is in stages, the early morning crowd that doesnt want to miss anything ... the afternoon crowd that has freshed up and ready to go for the entire show ... and the night crowd, ready to party till 200 in the morning ... each bunch has prepared (i hope) for the exprience they want to have .. and being stuck in the venue from when you walk in till you are ready to leave puts a major crunch in that thinking ..... cr***

disgustipated
08-06-2007, 11:06 AM
Because Dylan is a leftover, oh and Tom Petty is a leftover, and countless other bands that have played the small stages only to end up playing Coachella or Bonnaroo down the road.

ACL is different than all other festivals. Not that it compares to Coachella or Bonnaroo, But it definitely beats Lolla. I like the feel of the festival, they could police the chairs more, but that's the only flaw for me. It's easy and well done.

And the after shows...no other fest compares.

canexplain
08-06-2007, 11:09 AM
lets start a parition sp to have coachella have in and outs ... what can they loose .. a little money of peeps that go back and eat, a little money for peeps that go back and get trashed on their own "stuff" and not have to buy 7 dollar beers, etc ... dont be so cheap, you just have to open a reentry gate and at one point everyone will be reentry (sunday) and they can change the main entrances to be for anyone .... come on coachella, make in and outs (burgers :)) be the norm for the show .. cr*****

instinct
08-06-2007, 12:17 PM
PLURAPALOOZA #1 FOREVER!!!

canexplain
08-06-2007, 12:22 PM
PLURAPALOOZA #1 FOREVER!!!

NOT SURE WHAT THAT MEANS ...... CR****

summerkid
08-06-2007, 12:23 PM
I don't really care that there isn't in and outs I wouldn't go back to my tent anyways there's just too much to see.

canexplain
08-06-2007, 12:46 PM
I don't really care that there isn't in and outs I wouldn't go back to my tent anyways there's just too much to see.

well maybe age plays a part.... but when you go from 1100 in the day till maybe 200 at night it gets to be a long day ... and spread that to 3 days or so, it gets to be a trick of spacing the days to days, and the shows to shows, must be cool to catch it all .. cr****

thinnerair
08-06-2007, 01:24 PM
Without these big sponsors, the calibur of bands would definitely drop.
These big sponsors put their name on stage in exchange for shelling out the money that goes into booking these bands that everybody shits their pants about. The Smiths got offered whatever absurd amount of money to perform at Coachella. Guess who makes that absurd amount of money available to Goldenvoice? Those big sponsors.

nothingman00
08-06-2007, 01:26 PM
well all 3 festivals are now over and its kind of nice to look back and see how they did since these are the big 3 festivals in america.

going to them and reading about them, it seems like coachella and bonnaroo maintained strong status. especially coachella since they can brag about the sell out 2 1/2 months before the festival was put on. bonnaroo was able to grab major acts and maintained a strong diverse lineup. coachella was able to get rage and also got a memorable performance from amy winehouse and other acts gave standout performances..

lollapalooza seems to be in just a little bit of trouble.. it seems they are starting to get eaten up by the corporate monster and they also seem to be making mistakes by letting the vip group get the best parts of the park.

EDIT: This post was put in before thinnerair's post, but then i doubled up on my posts and deleted the wrong one. So if the segue doesn't quite fit, that's the reason. Peace.

lollapalooza had the name and right to say it brought the thought of festivals from europe to the united states. but it also seems like they are the one festival that seems to destroy itself. they are gonna have to get away from the corporate side of things if they want to survive..

my opinion: i think coachella and bonnaroo have surpassed lollapalooza and are now in thier own league. both put on incredible lineups and it seems the vibe is always good. so from over here in california and by reading a bunch of articles from papers and concert goers who went i would rank it:

1a coachella
1b. bonnaroo

3 lollapalooza

just a topic...........

C'mon... The "corporate" sponsorships you refer to, while annoying, are not putting Lolla in any type of dire situation. I hate the whole "AT&T and Bud Lite stages are killing my mood" type shit. Listen, it's a corporate world out there. Get used to it now and learn to cope with it. Does it annoy me mildly that I have to look at a schedule and find the Myspace tent? Not in the least. I've grown accustomed to it and really pay it no attention, whatsoever. I don't think corporations are raking in profits by allowing their logos on various stages, and hell, the att blue room is actually very fucking cool. For all the people that didn't get to go to Chicago for Lolla, they got to watch sets streamed, live, over the internet. As for Bud Light, well, I hate their beer, but I do love alcohol in general. Fuck it, there's a Bud Light stage. Boycott Bud Light (I already don't drink that swill) if you want to. Boycott AT&T or Myspace or Adidas or whoever else puts their corporate stamp on a festival. Or, just close your eyes and pretend that you simply don;t see the logos. It really doesn;t fucking matter. For the record, I missed Bonnaroo, so I can't comment on it but I'll go ahead and say that the vibe at Coachella was way crappier than Lolla this year. And we had VIP passes for ACL-last 2 years, Coachella-last two years, and Lolla the past 2 (mainly because I had a pregnant wife last year, and a newborn baby this year---though she didn't go to Coachella)... Point is, those tickets cost quite a bit of money. Why not provide better seating than normal tickets? That's the point, right? If you fly first class instead of coach, you want your drink before you take off, your extra legroom, all the amenities... What's any different with regards to the VIP areas?

I love ACL because it's in my home town. I love knowing where to go afterwards. I love having all my friends there. I love having intoxicants readily available if needed, and I love not having to fly to get there. i like the eats best at ACL (there can be NO disputing the fact that ACL has the best food selection) and I'll say it again, "whoever thought of the idea of selling squeezy bottles of Blackstone Cab in 100 degree heat with 60% humidity is simply a genius". Seriously, I love ACL for those weird reasons. Oh, and I love checking up on my fantasy football teams on the Sunday of ACL between bands. But, the lineup is usually a little weaker and this year brings an alltime low with the crazy band conflicts. I've been irate ever since they announced the schedule... But, that's the muthafucking promoter's fault, not the evil corporations. Oh, and I hate duststorms in 100 degree weather and a VIP area that is set up behind all of the stages so you can't hear shit, though you can get a margarita or eleven (for free).

I love Coachella because it's in the middle of the desert and usually has an undercard which blows away the actual headliners. I like the "Indie" lean. I hate the elitist prickish fans that come with the Indie lean. I love meeting the non-douchey fans, smoking with them, talking shop, etc. I love watching the sun set and knowing that the Coachella organizers do a VASTLY superior job of scheduling the bands to minimize conflicts. I love the overall eccentric nature of coachella.

Lola is a different animal for me. I have to fly, stay at a waaayyy overpriced hotel, and generally think the worst about it... Until I get to my hotel, get everything stored away, and then go get fantastic eats in Chi-town. Arrive a day early and check out a Cubs game (with Ed Vedder belting out "Take Me out to the Ballgame") and take in the beauty that is Wrigley Field. The weather doesn;t bother me as much as coachella or ACL, though still pretty damn hot. And, I've gotten to see Broken Social Scene, the Violent Femmes, Iggy and the Stooges, Pearl Jam, Annuals, Ryan Adams, and a few other acts that didn't play at coachella or ACL that year. And again, after the show, I's in Chicago!!! I love the city, and that love spreads over to Lolla, where the fans may not be the most knowledgeable (I think about 350 people watched "Stars" last year--only a slight exaggeration) and Andrew Bird didn't exactly pile 'em in like he did at Coachella (or so I heard since I missed him at Coachella this year).

Point is: you can complain all you want, but if corporate sponsorships go away, then the festivals will slowly go away. You don't think Coachella gets some flow from Heineken? AT&T? They all do, and while I understand the annoyance of having to find the Adidas Stage, I really don't see how it negatively affects my experience.

nothingman00
08-06-2007, 01:31 PM
Because Dylan is a leftover, oh and Tom Petty is a leftover, and countless other bands that have played the small stages only to end up playing Coachella or Bonnaroo down the road.

ACL is different than all other festivals. Not that it compares to Coachella or Bonnaroo, But it definitely beats Lolla. I like the feel of the festival, they could police the chairs more, but that's the only flaw for me. It's easy and well done.

And the after shows...no other fest compares.

Good point. Listen, all of the festivals have their ups and downs. If you don;t like ACL because you think it's a bunch of retreads, well, guess what, you get to save money and not go to Austin!!! Congrats! And yes, the aftershows are killer for ACL, and frankly the afterhours partying scene is simply unrivaled. Austin vs. Chicago vs. Indio/Palm Springs vs. Tennessee??? Just go to the show, soak it up, then hit 4th or 5th street (or 6th street if you're younger than 24 and love seeing frat-boys fight each other at bars)... Still, good times in Austin.

whynotsmile99
08-06-2007, 01:46 PM
C'mon... The "corporate" sponsorships you refer to, while annoying, are not putting Lolla in any type of dire situation. I hate the whole "AT&T and Bud Lite stages are killing my mood" type shit. Listen, it's a corporate world out there. Get used to it now and learn to cope with it. Does it annoy me mildly that I have to look at a schedule and find the Myspace tent? Not in the least. I've grown accustomed to it and really pay it no attention, whatsoever. I don't think corporations are raking in profits by allowing their logos on various stages, and hell, the att blue room is actually very fucking cool. For all the people that didn't get to go to Chicago for Lolla, they got to watch sets streamed, live, over the internet. As for Bud Light, well, I hate their beer, but I do love alcohol in general. Fuck it, there's a Bud Light stage. Boycott Bud Light (I already don't drink that swill) if you want to. Boycott AT&T or Myspace or Adidas or whoever else puts their corporate stamp on a festival. Or, just close your eyes and pretend that you simply don;t see the logos. It really doesn;t fucking matter. For the record, I missed Bonnaroo, so I can't comment on it but I'll go ahead and say that the vibe at Coachella was way crappier than Lolla this year. And we had VIP passes for ACL-last 2 years, Coachella-last two years, and Lolla the past 2 (mainly because I had a pregnant wife last year, and a newborn baby this year---though she didn't go to Coachella)... Point is, those tickets cost quite a bit of money. Why not provide better seating than normal tickets? That's the point, right? If you fly first class instead of coach, you want your drink before you take off, your extra legroom, all the amenities... What's any different with regards to the VIP areas?

I love ACL because it's in my home town. I love knowing where to go afterwards. I love having all my friends there. I love having intoxicants readily available if needed, and I love not having to fly to get there. i like the eats best at ACL (there can be NO disputing the fact that ACL has the best food selection) and I'll say it again, "whoever thought of the idea of selling squeezy bottles of Blackstone Cab in 100 degree heat with 60% humidity is simply a genius". Seriously, I love ACL for those weird reasons. Oh, and I love checking up on my fantasy football teams on the Sunday of ACL between bands. But, the lineup is usually a little weaker and this year brings an alltime low with the crazy band conflicts. I've been irate ever since they announced the schedule... But, that's the muthafucking promoter's fault, not the evil corporations. Oh, and I hate duststorms in 100 degree weather and a VIP area that is set up behind all of the stages so you can't hear shit, though you can get a margarita or eleven (for free).

I love Coachella because it's in the middle of the desert and usually has an undercard which blows away the actual headliners. I like the "Indie" lean. I hate the elitist prickish fans that come with the Indie lean. I love meeting the non-douchey fans, smoking with them, talking shop, etc. I love watching the sun set and knowing that the Coachella organizers do a VASTLY superior job of scheduling the bands to minimize conflicts. I love the overall eccentric nature of coachella.

Lola is a different animal for me. I have to fly, stay at a waaayyy overpriced hotel, and generally think the worst about it... Until I get to my hotel, get everything stored away, and then go get fantastic eats in Chi-town. Arrive a day early and check out a Cubs game (with Ed Vedder belting out "Take Me out to the Ballgame") and take in the beauty that is Wrigley Field. The weather doesn;t bother me as much as coachella or ACL, though still pretty damn hot. And, I've gotten to see Broken Social Scene, the Violent Femmes, Iggy and the Stooges, Pearl Jam, Annuals, Ryan Adams, and a few other acts that didn't play at coachella or ACL that year. And again, after the show, I's in Chicago!!! I love the city, and that love spreads over to Lolla, where the fans may not be the most knowledgeable (I think about 350 people watched "Stars" last year--only a slight exaggeration) and Andrew Bird didn't exactly pile 'em in like he did at Coachella (or so I heard since I missed him at Coachella this year).

Point is: you can complain all you want, but if corporate sponsorships go away, then the festivals will slowly go away. You don't think Coachella gets some flow from Heineken? AT&T? They all do, and while I understand the annoyance of having to find the Adidas Stage, I really don't see how it negatively affects my experience.

If i was a billionaire, I would give $20 Million to Coachella, just so I can name every stage with whatever stupid thing I think of.

Smashing Pumpkins 8:8-30 @ Your Mother's Saggy Cunt stage.

Pictures of Radiohead on the internet under the banner Stage Smegma

and of course...AIDZ NEEDLEZ DANCE TENT

summerkid
08-06-2007, 01:47 PM
There is a legitimate reason why ACL isn't on par with Coachella and the Roo its because of scheduling. They had by far the worst scheduling of any of the other festivals this year. Spoon vs QOTSA, Arcade Fire vs White Stripes (seriously?) Wilco vs MMJ. I mean everybody has scheduling conflicts, but these are just unforgivable. You don't put your two biggest acts of the day against eachother its just retarded especially if they have similar fan bases. And I hate when festivals have nobody up against the headliner (i would see dylan of course) but c'mon give people some options. Plust the hour long gaps at each stage. Being allowed to bring chairs in to me is a negative. Not too mention I don't really hear about epic shows from ACL. Like the Radiohead show at Bonnaroo is supposed to be their best. Daft Punk at Coachella. etc etc etc.

breakjaw
08-06-2007, 01:50 PM
will someone please push me in with my wheelchair :)

I will if they have choo-choo tracks.

nothingman00
08-06-2007, 02:00 PM
If i was a billionaire, I would give $20 Million to Coachella, just so I can name every stage with whatever stupid thing I think of.

Smashing Pumpkins 8:8-30 @ Your Mother's Saggy Cunt stage.

Pictures of Radiohead on the internet under the banner Stage Smegma

and of course...AIDZ NEEDLEZ DANCE TENT

I wish you'd win the lottery soon. That would be pretty sweet. "Hey guys, "Orbital at the AIDZ NEEDLEZ TENT in 20!"

nothingman00
08-06-2007, 02:13 PM
There is a legitimate reason why ACL isn't on par with Coachella and the Roo its because of scheduling. They had by far the worst scheduling of any of the other festivals this year. Spoon vs QOTSA, Arcade Fire vs White Stripes (seriously?) Wilco vs MMJ. I mean everybody has scheduling conflicts, but these are just unforgivable. You don't put your two biggest acts of the day against eachother its just retarded especially if they have similar fan bases. And I hate when festivals have nobody up against the headliner (i would see dylan of course) but c'mon give people some options. Plust the hour long gaps at each stage. Being allowed to bring chairs in to me is a negative. Not too mention I don't really hear about epic shows from ACL. Like the Radiohead show at Bonnaroo is supposed to be their best. Daft Punk at Coachella. etc etc etc.

I do agree that someone (or some staff) should be fired for the horrendous scheduling of ACL. Lolla has its conflicts, coachella usually is the best, but this year's ACL schedule is so ridiculous, given the actual lineup. Even considering the White Stripes are playing an after-show at Stubb's, it's a disgrace. And I've been a BIG supporter of ACL over the past few years, but this scheduling snafu needs to be changed. Note to ACL: THERE IS STILL TIME TO CHANGE YOUR SCHEDULE!!! You have a month and a half. do something, NOW!

lowfront
08-06-2007, 02:15 PM
all I can say is that coachella better have the showers running sunday night next year.

That was a big kick in the balls for me.

nothingman00
08-06-2007, 02:28 PM

Well, not epic, but R.E.M's set from a few years back was great. Ryan Adams in '04 (I think) was fantastic. Okkervil River played a great set last year. There was, however, the most epically horrific set in history from a headliner (even worse than '04 Cure Coachella which was damn bad)... Yes, that would be Oasis in '05 during the dust-storm. Just epically bad, and I don't think you could find one person (besides Stef) who would say otherwise.

And I think people (especially Pearl Jam fans) will be talking about this past weekend at Lolla for years to come. First there was Eddie at the Cubs game on Thursday, then an intimate fan-club only set at the Vic (capacity 1,300) with a crazy setlist for PJ fans (a complete non-standard setlist that is already one of the top-5 PJ setlists of all time, finishing with Ben Harper joining Ed for "Indifference" to close it out... Then Ed joining Ben during Ben's set for Dylan's "Masters of War", then a fantastic PJ set capped off by Ben joining Ed during a semi-virgin (it was also played Thurs) performance of a song just written for, and sung to, an Iraqi war vet who was shot in the back and paralyzed, followed by a gathering of about 30-40 people on stage during the absolute best version of "Rocking in the Free World" I've ever seen or heard. Oh, and then Dennis Rodman picking up Ed as he bids Chicago goodnight... That was an epic performance, though the setlist could have been better. It was an experience, to say the least.

suprefan
08-06-2007, 02:31 PM
all I can say is that coachella better have the showers running sunday night next year.

That was a big kick in the balls for me.

This is why you stay up until 4 or 5 am and its irrelevant when it comes to showers cause you wouldnt mind waiting a couple more hours til they opened. Well, thats just me because I really don't sleep when I am at Coachella, thus why I make sure I have like 3 days to recover following the festival.

M Sparks
08-06-2007, 03:00 PM
i went to the first 7 lollas but not since they have changed and stopped roving ....

They did 7 tours?

I loved the first few years, because they seemed to really go out of their way to book 7 or 8 interesting acts. No second stages, no frickin' carnival midway ...you just went and watched everything. There was a lot of variety (Arrested Development followed immediately by Front 242?)

As soon as they introduced the second stage, you had more choices, but the atmosphere suffered. You had Nick Cave in between L7 and A Tribe Called Quest, but no one was there. I myself sadly missed most of George Clinton to see Shonen Knife.

That's fine for a big festival, but it just seemed to get in the way of what Lollapalooza started out as. It was particularly annoying because every one I ever went to had a reserved area in front of the stage. So Nick Cave literally had maybe 100 people in front of the stage, even though there were a few thousand checking him out.

When The Cure did their little mini touring festival a few years back, I thought it was really great, and reminded me of the original Lolla. (And it was even at the same place I had seen my last Lolla show at.) They did have two stages, but the second one only ran during set changes on the main stage. The walk to the second stage was pretty short, so you could literally see 7 or 8 bands in a 6 hour period. if you wanted. (Although I missed whoever played between Interpol and The Cure.)

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-06-2007, 03:05 PM
yea i dont get that, if stagecoach will let in and outs, then why not coachella, thats lame ..... i dont know, maybe its my age, but i like to go back to the campground and get ready for "stage two" the night acts or whatever .... a real fest is in stages, the early morning crowd that doesnt want to miss anything ... the afternoon crowd that has freshed up and ready to go for the entire show ... and the night crowd, ready to party till 200 in the morning ... each bunch has prepared (i hope) for the exprience they want to have .. and being stuck in the venue from when you walk in till you are ready to leave puts a major crunch in that thinking ..... cr***

I didn't know either that stagecoach let people in and out. Maybe it was the promoters testing it out for next years Coachella? That would be great if it was the case.

canexplain
08-06-2007, 03:28 PM
my pics are no way in order, but here is some lolla, earliest being 91 it looks like but i know i have tics before then i think lol .. cr****

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j211/canexplain/P1000365.jpg

amyzzz
08-06-2007, 03:32 PM
You should take your board full of ticket stubs to the Antique Roadshow, cr****.

canexplain
08-06-2007, 03:37 PM
You should take your board full of ticket stubs to the Antique Roadshow, cr****.

thats funny, my kids, both girls, would love it if the tics said toby keith or someone like that, well at least they really love music .. i dont care what kind, just ya have to love the art of music .. cr****

menikmati
08-06-2007, 03:59 PM
Lolla is defiantly going down the shitter. The sponsorships are eventually gonna kill it, like mentioned earlier. Myspace stage? Are you fucking kidding me?

Plus the people running both Lolla and ACL (same company) REALLY need to find a new way to schedule bands and reduce the number of stages. They think this stragety of a brick pattern for the bands and stages is working, and it's clearly not. Why have one act on smaller stage start at 6:30 and end at 7:30, then have the next band start on the big stage at 7:30? That means, you (assuming you wanna see bands with no hour wait between em) have to run from stage and back to the other and missing the beginning and ends of each set. They should not try to adjust the stage's times to work with each other (the brick pattern). They should treat em all seperately (as Coachella and Bonnaroo do with their stages/tents).

I don't know, I just think it's clear that both Lolla and ACL have way too many acts, way too many stages, way too many sponsors, and way too many fucking idiots running things.

M Sparks
08-06-2007, 05:46 PM
my pics are no way in order, but here is some lolla, earliest being 91 it looks like but i know i have tics before then i think lol ..

Nope, '91 was the first one. I was at '91 , '93, and '94. I was at the LITERAL first Lollapalooza, in Phoenix. The one Reznor bailed on after one song due to "technical problems." (AKA..it's too flippin hot to wear a black shirt onstage.)

I'm missing a headliner...Jane's, Chilli Peppers, Primus, Pumpkins, Metallica, Sonic Youth...who was the 7th?

thinnerair
08-06-2007, 06:02 PM
Lolla is defiantly going down the shitter. The sponsorships are eventually gonna kill it, like mentioned earlier. Myspace stage? Are you fucking kidding me?

If Myspace (a company that doesn't charge their users for entertainment, networking capabilities, social interaction, internet stalking, etc) is giving these festivals enough money and advertisement (a few banners on your FREE myspace page, instead of those 'who's celebrity rectum is this' ads, which pay MYSPACE's bills) then why are they such a bastard for getting to name a stage? It's a fucking stage's name! People refer to these stages as the main stage, the second stage, whatever else... I d understand if it was like Halliburton or...I dunno...the KKK, providing money for cross burning on the stage while your favorite band played. But it's not.

The corporate sponsorship argument is dumb. You want big bands to play your festival, right? Bands need to get paid. Bands need their airfare paid for to play your festival. Bands need their gear transported. If 'Billy Bob's Dick Cream' was the main sponsor of this tour, then your festivals would look more like high school talent shows. Then, youd complain that Radiohead isnt there, even though Dick Cream doesn't pay for Radiohead.

menikmati
08-06-2007, 06:09 PM
yeah but major sponsorships can start to determine what bands can/will be invited and play, so these sponsorships actually start to put a limitation on your festival. You can argue the corporate sponsorship doesn't matter, but you can also argue that festivals can and have survived without major sponsorships as well (two BIG festivals I can think of off the top of my head), and those generally seem to be better received, maybe Lolla and ACL should try that?

thinnerair
08-06-2007, 06:18 PM
yeah but major sponsorships can start to determine what bands can/will be invited and play, so these sponsorships actually start to put a limitation on your festival. You can argue the corporate sponsorship doesn't matter, but you can also argue that festivals can and have survived without major sponsorships as well (two BIG festivals I can think of off the top of my head), and those generally seem to be better received, maybe Lolla and ACL should try that?

what are the two festivals?
Most of them are backed by private investors that have WAY more control over the bands that are included on a festival's lineup.
Corporate sponsors really don't have all that much say in the content of the festival's lineup. They want to be guaranteed that the ticketholders are exposed to their product and they want to see an increase in their sales.

The product sponsors aren't the ones to blame (heineken, at&t, myspace). The companies that have a chokehold on venues and advertising (clear channel/live nation) are the ones that may have some slight influence on a festival's lineup.

M Sparks
08-06-2007, 06:23 PM
I'm missing a headliner...Jane's, Chilli Peppers, Primus, Pumpkins, Metallica, Sonic Youth...who was the 7th?

Ran some Google searches...some said Korn headlined in '97, some say Tool, some say The Prodigy , and some say Orbital (!?!)

Hmmm...looks like they toured again in '03. I had no idea. Jane's headlined again?

The wikipedia entry doesn't look too trustworthy. It says Rage played the '91 shows (they were pretty much brand new when they opened the show in '93). It also says Violent Femmes were on in '91. Maybe they played certain shows, but I doubt it.

It also says Tool played the second stage in '93. If there was a second stage in '93 in Phoenix, I never found it, but Tool played main stage between Rage and Arrested Development. It also says Babes In Toyland played main stage, but they weren't in Phoenix.

Sorry, I'm kind of talking to myself here, aren't I. :)

menikmati
08-06-2007, 06:30 PM
1994...what could of been...

luckyface
08-06-2007, 06:35 PM
Well, not epic, but R.E.M's set from a few years back was great. Ryan Adams in '04 (I think) was fantastic. Okkervil River played a great set last year. There was, however, the most epically horrific set in history from a headliner (even worse than '04 Cure Coachella which was damn bad)... Yes, that would be Oasis in '05 during the dust-storm. Just epically bad, and I don't think you could find one person (besides Stef) who would say otherwise.

And I think people (especially Pearl Jam fans) will be talking about this past weekend at Lolla for years to come. First there was Eddie at the Cubs game on Thursday, then an intimate fan-club only set at the Vic (capacity 1,300) with a crazy setlist for PJ fans (a complete non-standard setlist that is already one of the top-5 PJ setlists of all time, finishing with Ben Harper joining Ed for "Indifference" to close it out... Then Ed joining Ben during Ben's set for Dylan's "Masters of War", then a fantastic PJ set capped off by Ben joining Ed during a semi-virgin (it was also played Thurs) performance of a song just written for, and sung to, an Iraqi war vet who was shot in the back and paralyzed, followed by a gathering of about 30-40 people on stage during the absolute best version of "Rocking in the Free World" I've ever seen or heard. Oh, and then Dennis Rodman picking up Ed as he bids Chicago goodnight... That was an epic performance, though the setlist could have been better. It was an experience, to say the least.

As a big PJ fan, I can say that last night's show was the first time I ever thought the band completely jumped the shark. That RITFW ending was atrocious. The Vic show must have been amazing though.

luckyface
08-06-2007, 06:39 PM
Hmmm...looks like they toured again in '03. I had no idea. Jane's headlined again?

Yep. Jane's headlined, Audioslave, Incubus, Queens (east coast)/A Perfect Circle (west coast), and I want to say Jurassic 5 were the main players.

menikmati
08-06-2007, 06:41 PM
poor 2004

whynotsmile99
08-06-2007, 06:43 PM
my pics are no way in order, but here is some lolla, earliest being 91 it looks like but i know i have tics before then i think lol .. cr****

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j211/canexplain/P1000365.jpg

hahahah how was that Vertical Horizon show buddy?

thinnerair
08-06-2007, 06:51 PM
Ron,
what was that aug9,2003 Jones Beach ticket stub from?

nothingman00
08-06-2007, 07:14 PM
If Myspace (a company that doesn't charge their users for entertainment, networking capabilities, social interaction, internet stalking, etc) is giving these festivals enough money and advertisement (a few banners on your FREE myspace page, instead of those 'who's celebrity rectum is this' ads, which pay MYSPACE's bills) then why are they such a bastard for getting to name a stage? It's a fucking stage's name! People refer to these stages as the main stage, the second stage, whatever else... I d understand if it was like Halliburton or...I dunno...the KKK, providing money for cross burning on the stage while your favorite band played. But it's not.

The corporate sponsorship argument is dumb. You want big bands to play your festival, right? Bands need to get paid. Bands need their airfare paid for to play your festival. Bands need their gear transported. If 'Billy Bob's Dick Cream' was the main sponsor of this tour, then your festivals would look more like high school talent shows. Then, youd complain that Radiohead isnt there, even though Dick Cream doesn't pay for Radiohead.

AMEN.

what are the two festivals?
Most of them are backed by private investors that have WAY more control over the bands that are included on a festival's lineup.
Corporate sponsors really don't have all that much say in the content of the festival's lineup. They want to be guaranteed that the ticketholders are exposed to their product and they want to see an increase in their sales.

The product sponsors aren't the ones to blame (heineken, at&t, myspace). The companies that have a chokehold on venues and advertising (clear channel/live nation) are the ones that may have some slight influence on a festival's lineup.

Double, triple AMEN! Listen, I know in a 6-degrees type way, the organizers of Lolla/ACL. I've met the peeps that run the show. To say that he/they are musically disinclined would be an understatement (I hope this doesn't cost me a cushy job in the next couple of years). I have no idea why ACL and Lolla are so poorly managed from a scheduling POV, but I will say, without a doubt, they'd both fold without corporate sponsorship. It's a damn stage name!!! When I go to see a show and it's called "Budweiser presents (name of band)" I'll simply ignore the Budweiser part. If anything, you "anti-establishment" folks should be revving up your engines at the fact that sponsorships, in my opinion are a large waste of money. Again, I think AT&T with their blue room and that computer lounge at ACL that allows me to check my fantasy football scores is doing quite well. But frankly, you could name a stage "the Myspace, Pedophile Fuck-a-Teen Stage" and I wouldn't pay any attention to it. I'm there for music and experience. And if corporate America wants to place a logo on a stage or booth, well, fuck it.

menikmati
08-06-2007, 07:22 PM
it all starts off all pretty and ooh and ahhh, but later there's running and screaming...

canexplain
08-06-2007, 10:17 PM
Ron,
what was that aug9,2003 Jones Beach ticket stub from?
there was suppose to be a bonnaroo east that year .... they were going for another fest but it was cancelled grrrr ... we already had our plane tics and didnt know what to do ... but the Dead said, since the concert was cancelled they would do a two night show at jones beach ... so we flew out there and saw them ... it was funny because we couldnt find a hotel close to there, so we stayed in this hotel that charged "by the hour" lol ... it was a lot of fun ... cr****

ficklecycle
08-06-2007, 10:26 PM
t was funny because we couldnt find a hotel close to there, so we stayed in this hotel that charged "by the hour" lol

WHAAAAA?

John Peel is My Co-pilot
08-06-2007, 10:27 PM

Yeah, that totally ruined my experience watching LCD knowing that 20 feet above their head was a sign that said "Myspace".....

James Murphy could barely play from the weight of being thought of as a stinkin' corporate whore.

Sheesh!

ficklecycle
08-06-2007, 10:31 PM
It could live without them.

pewter14
08-06-2007, 11:09 PM

slight correction ... "No More" ... the song you called semi virgin ... has actually been played several times in concert prior to the Chicago gigs ... I was actually in Munich for the first time Ed played it live ... otherwise, your assesment is spot on about how PJ fans will laud this weekend in Chicago for years to come. No, I wasn't there, but dammit if I didn't try for tickets to that Vic show.

As a big PJ fan, I can say that last night's show was the first time I ever thought the band completely jumped the shark. That RITFW ending was atrocious. The Vic show must have been amazing though.

I'm shocked someone calling themselves a big PJ fan would say this.

Go take a look at the PJ boards, you're probably the only person I could find thinking that version of RITFW, was jumping the shark ... understand this ... this is their last show for an undefined period of time (probably nothing for the band until at least next summer, maybe some Ed solo dates for his soundtrack or a Bridge appearance) ... there is nothing scheduled and they were just letting everything out and it was actually kind of nice to see the guys really effin happy ... I can't think of one thing this band does musically that is "jumping the shark" to be honest. If anything, they do what every they want ... I think they could have released album after album of Ten and Vs. mocks and churned out radio hit after radio hit ... they chose to just make music and let the fans fall as they may ... I actually really appreciate this about them a lot.

This all said, Ed's voice was pretty shot last night, not his best showing ... but, whatever, still one of THE best touring bands around ... but, that's just my opinion.

ahhh ... opinion ....

As for all this 'chella v 'roo v ACL v lolla talk ... people ... it's opinion ... what one person views as ruining a festival, another may think is fantastic ... why do we have to rank them? I guess for conversations' sake, but ... no one is ever going to see eye to eye on this ... band selection, festival location, vibe of the crowd ... who knows ... (but, man, with all these variables, would make for a hell of a conjoint analysis for all you marketing research geeks ... like me)

Finally for all this corporate sponsorship ruining the music talk ... I think the pendulum would swing heavily in the "Tickets cost too fukkin much" direction if it weren't for some corporate sponsorship ... don't ya think? Or ... the talent would seriously be lacking.

Man ... I really got to lay off the 10 pm coffee ...

summerkid
08-06-2007, 11:27 PM
Honestly, I would have walked away once they brought the Iraq war veteran on stage. I had a problem with those Iraq War Veterans against the war booths at Coachella and the protest on the camp site. I come to these festivals to get away from this shit. I can take a little speech or a Masters of War cover or something that's fine.

ficklecycle
08-06-2007, 11:41 PM
Did someone say Gears Of War?

rage patton
08-06-2007, 11:41 PM
Am I the only person who didnt find Coachella tickets that expensive this year? Sure they are somewhat expensive... but its 3 days! And with this years line up? I wasnt complaining.
Sure, Lolla had a set of $60 tickets. Then a set of $120 tickets. Coachella could do it to if they wanted to. Just sell all the stages names. But they dont, because they want to keep the integrity of the festival.

ficklecycle
08-06-2007, 11:42 PM
Yeah I found it kinda cheap too.

Boourns
08-06-2007, 11:44 PM
Yeah, I remember sitting online for several hours in queue for $60 tickets. What bullshit that was.

rage patton
08-06-2007, 11:45 PM
Yeah, I remember sitting online for several hours in queue for $60 tickets. What bullshit that was.

Im guessing you didnt attend Lolla this year then eh?

Boourns
08-06-2007, 11:49 PM

Plus the people running both Lolla and ACL (same company) REALLY need to find a new way to schedule bands and reduce the number of stages. They think this stragety of a brick pattern for the bands and stages is working, and it's clearly not. Why have one act on smaller stage start at 6:30 and end at 7:30, then have the next band start on the big stage at 7:30? That means, you (assuming you wanna see bands with no hour wait between em) have to run from stage and back to the other and missing the beginning and ends of each set. They should not try to adjust the stage's times to work with each other (the brick pattern). They should treat em all seperately (as Coachella and Bonnaroo do with their stages/tents).

I don't know, I just think it's clear that both Lolla and ACL have way too many acts, way too many stages, way too many sponsors, and way too many fucking idiots running things.

Yeah, good point. You know, as much as we whine, Coachella really does the scheduling and staging the best.

Boourns
08-06-2007, 11:52 PM
there was suppose to be a bonnaroo east that year .... they were going for another fest but it was cancelled grrrr ... we already had our plane tics and didnt know what to do ... but the Dead said, since the concert was cancelled they would do a two night show at jones beach ... so we flew out there and saw them ... it was funny because we couldnt find a hotel close to there, so we stayed in this hotel that charged "by the hour" lol ... it was a lot of fun ... cr****

Ahahahaha, hourly hotels own all. That's great, man.

bballarl
08-06-2007, 11:57 PM
I remember that Bonnaroo East thing. It was going to be where Field Day was supposed to be in New York. Dave Matthews and Kings of Leon were going to play...that's all I remember lineup wise.

Wheres the beef?
08-07-2007, 12:05 AM
Upcoming events:

Rock the Bells - Aug 11th - Devore, California
Pukkelpop - Aug 15th ,16th ,17th - Hassalt, Belgium
Mysteryland - Aug 25th - Near Amsterdam, Netherlands
Underworld at the Bowl - Sept 9th - Hollywood, CA
Nocturnal Wonderland - Sept 29th - Los Angeles, CA
LA Detour - Oct 6th - Downtown LA
Vegoose - Oct 27th, 28th - Las Vegas, Nevada

(i noticed a lot of people had these in their sig, so I jumped on the bandwagon)

I am drooling over your itenerary. What do you do for a living?

Boourns
08-07-2007, 12:08 AM
I remember that Bonnaroo East thing. It was going to be where Field Day was supposed to be in New York. Dave Matthews and Kings of Leon were going to play...that's all I remember lineup wise.

Ugh, I remember Failed Day. What a shame...I mean, look at the lineup.

Saturday, June 7:
Radiohead
Beck
Thievery Corporation
Spiritualized
Beth Orton
Interpol
Royksopp
Liz Phair
Tortoise
The Raveonettes
Ben Lee
My Morning Jacket
Gemma Hayes
22-20s
Trachtenberg Family Slideshow Players
And More!

Sunday, June 8:
The Beastie Boys
Sigur Ros
The Roots
Blur
Elliott Smith
N.E.R.D.
Blackalicious
Peanut Butter Wolf
The Music
Polyphonic Spree
Le Tigre

And Underworld was added later. Forgot who else.

Whatever stupid idiot scheduled Elliott Smith at the same time as Radiohead at what became Stadium Day better have been fired.

bballarl
08-07-2007, 12:30 AM
The only group on their I wouldn't care about is N.E.R.D. And I'm not super familiar with Ben Lee. The rest of that is ridiculous.

Boourns
08-07-2007, 12:53 AM
Ya rly. Can you imagine Radiohead, Sigur Ros, and Elliott Smith at the same festival? Insanity.

Stefinitely Maybe
08-07-2007, 12:55 AM
Firstly, the fact that Coachella is "repeating headliners" is not the fault of the festival, but the fault of the music industry. There are not enough 'major headline' bands because labels are no longer willing to invest money in bands' careers the way they did ten or twenty years ago. If a band doesn't sell a certain number of records or have a few radio hits from its first album, then it will probably be dropped. That's why we're left with headliners like Rage and the Chilis and Bjork, who established themselves a decade ago; whilst the rest of the lineup is made of bands who may potentially have very short careers, along with a few who will hopefully be around for a while.

Secondly, when someone earlier in this thread said that Coachella would be better with "in n outs", I thought they were talking about the burger chain, and I thought that was a great idea, and got very excited. Put an In n Out Burger in the food court and I will come to the festival forever, I promise.

Personally, I like Coachella because of:

1. The lineup - still beats almost every other festival in the world, and is consistently groundbreaking.
2. The location - I get fly to California and have a holiday around the festival every year, which is pretty great.
3. The timing - the weather in England in April is always pretty shitty, so it's great for me to be able to take an early vacation and escape to the California desert.
4. The weather - see number 2. It beats going to English festivals and spending a few days in muddy fields trying to see past other people's umbrellas.
5. The atmosphere - I've always thought the festival has a great vibe, although this has deteriorated slightly over the past year or two, what with the hip 'Madonna' fan kind of crowds descending on the festival with their blackberries, etc. There's still a great crowd though.

Unless another festival can come up with a way to beat all of those, I'll keep coming back.

thinnerair
08-07-2007, 04:55 AM
It could live without them.

no....it really couldn't.
It's not like these brands are strapping you down and beating you with their products. It's a name. That's it. It's not like the bands are being forced to sing about Myspace or the other sponsors.

Now, there are bands that will go out and do tours with no sponsors, or at least big sponsors....that's cool.
But, when those tickets cost a shit ton of money and you can't afford them, you can thank the band for not wanting any sponsors involved.

breakjaw
08-07-2007, 06:04 AM
Nope, '91 was the first one. I was at '91 , '93, and '94. I was at the LITERAL first Lollapalooza, in Phoenix. The one Reznor bailed on after one song due to "technical problems." (AKA..it's too flippin hot to wear a black shirt onstage.)

I think Ministry was a headliner one year.I remember them playing last one year anyway...

canexplain
08-07-2007, 06:29 AM
I think Ministry was a headliner one year.I remember them playing last one year anyway...

thats one small thing i dont like about fests ... the ticket stubs usually dont say who played ... we keep the handouts and stuff, but they always seem to get lost somewhere in my house ... so 91 was the first year huh ... i thought it was the last 80's but then some say i am stuck in the 60's so hey, i at least jumped ahead a couple of decades :) cr****

TomAz
08-07-2007, 06:47 AM
I've been to 3 Coachellas, 1 Bonnaroo, 1 ACL, 3 SXSWs. I'm going to ACL this year too.

Coachella is the best organized, cleanest and most fan-friendly site (except for parking and traffic, come on guys, time to get professional about this), and this year they took some steps to diversify the music a bit (Roky Erikson, Gillian Welch, Willie Nelson). The beer jails are unfortunate and the weather can be brutal.

Bonnaroo is in a beautiful site, has a kind of 'anything goes' attitude, and has done well to diversify away from the hippie crap. It's kind of a pain in the ass if you don't want to camp, though. plus its really far away.

ACL was cool, I like the diversity in the acts (would Dylan ever be invited to headline Coachella? prob not), but conflicts have always been a problem. The year I went I had to choose between Emmy Lou Harris and Ryan Adams, which was stupid. This year I have to choose between Arcade Fire and the White Stripes, which is insane.

SXSW is a completely different thing.

bmack86
08-07-2007, 06:59 AM
I've been to Coachella and Pitchfork festival.

I personally thought that Pitchfork was better run, but that came with it being a smaller fest with less logistical nightmares on the site. I'll be going back to both.

krunchy
08-07-2007, 07:08 AM
Roskilde festival does very well with little sponsorship, but as aforementioned the ticket prices are pretty steep. They have a few sponsors, but they are very subtle - and when you have a local beer company logo on the wristband you don't really care much.
There is a fine line between being asphyxiated by advertising and having a few sponsors. The MySpace stage and the banner on the stage just doesn't seem right. It is ok if maybe there is a billboard under the telly screens, maybe some banners underneath the stage, but yeah having to play under a corporate logo would be shit for the artists, and would totally take away from any visuals/theatrics of a show. Imagine Roger Waters playing dark side of the moon under a myspace banner. It simply wouldn't happen.

If it comes down to it, lose the banner and all, but if I had to call the main stage the myspace stage to get radiohead, then I would. Or I could just call it the main stage. Or refer to stages by the bands playing. There are ways around it aswell.

When it comes down to it, integrity doesn't sell tickets like a good lineup, but over time it can kill a festival as the target audience is only so big....

disgustipated
08-07-2007, 08:58 AM
SXSW is a completely different thing.

I wouldnt call SXSW a festival...more of a conference for the bands.

But man it's amazing

I have been to 10 or 11 and always leave with a musical hangover.

This years ACL conflicts (for the big names) are retarded but I dont mind much, plenty of other awesome smaller bands to fill the void, plus I can always go cool off in Barton Springs.

nothingman00
08-07-2007, 09:27 AM
To summarize:
-Pewter 14-excellent post. All around excellency. Yeah, Ed's voice was shot and he appeared to be pretty drunk, but all in all, it was a good show. The setlist could have been a tad better, but was still semi-versatile. And the Rocking in the Free World finale was mind-blowing with everyone on stage jamming out.
-Some people think corporate sponsorships will kill festivals, others don't. Hey, I'm just glad we have so many festivals to choose from. That's the beauty of it all. Instead of whining about certain aspects of certain festivals, we should cherish the differences. That said, the ACL scheduling conflicts for this year are, without a doubt, the low-point of the festival circuit this year... That doesn't mean I'm not going to have fun at ACL, it just bums me out that they can't schedule bands better.

John Peel is My Co-pilot
08-07-2007, 09:03 PM
Roskilde festival does very well with little sponsorship, but as aforementioned the ticket prices are pretty steep. They have a few sponsors, but they are very subtle - and when you have a local beer company logo on the wristband you don't really care much.
There is a fine line between being asphyxiated by advertising and having a few sponsors. The MySpace stage and the banner on the stage just doesn't seem right. It is ok if maybe there is a billboard under the telly screens, maybe some banners underneath the stage, but yeah having to play under a corporate logo would be shit for the artists, and would totally take away from any visuals/theatrics of a show. Imagine Roger Waters playing dark side of the moon under a myspace banner. It simply wouldn't happen.

If it comes down to it, lose the banner and all, but if I had to call the main stage the myspace stage to get radiohead, then I would. Or I could just call it the main stage. Or refer to stages by the bands playing. There are ways around it aswell.

When it comes down to it, integrity doesn't sell tickets like a good lineup, but over time it can kill a festival as the target audience is only so big....

If you are focusing on advertising banners instead of the artist actually ON the stage, then, brother, you need to go watch some better bands....

Bigfoot could have been fellating Elvis above the stage that Muse were on, Saturday night and I wouldn't have noticed.

shoegazer76
08-08-2007, 09:46 AM
I went to all three this past year & honestly they're all spectacular festivals in their own light.
The beautiful weather, scenery, & big headliners keep me coming back to Coachella. The theatrics & art exhibits this year definatley were a great upgrade.
Bonnaroo is unique because of the diversity in genres of music, overall kindness of people & police (not the band), & it has the biggest fuckin lot party in the U.S. period! Plenty for everyone just BE PREPARED! Plenty of baby wipes, spray bottles, water (tip:freeze a case or 2 solid before you go), food, toilietries, etc.
Lolla is a case of the right festival in the right venue & city. Grant Park rules!!!! Chicago is in my opinion the "IT" city right now. So much music & so little time in Chicago. Definately the core of midwest music. The festival itself was bigger & badder than it had ever been this year. Only downside was all the walking. I thought the schedule flowed decently. Very humid & sticky though right next to the lake.
Hit them all up if you can they're all so worth it. Just plan about 6 months in advance.

shoegazer76
08-08-2007, 09:58 AM
By the way I'm a mediocre Pearl Jam fan & I thought it was one of the best shows I've ever heard sound wise. I think how they sounded depended on where you were positioned in the park. The acoustics were kinda crazy at first & you could hear the sound man trying to level things out for the first 2 songs. I was about 20 yards left & 30 yards back from the eyeball & it sounded incredible to me.

rampaige
08-08-2007, 10:12 AM

I agree with you on the brick pattern at Lolla...twas a pain. But I got the feeling they kinda had to do it because of the number of stages and Grant Park not being big enough to avoid sound bleedover. Like the smaller stage Spoon played on basically directly faced the main stage that Muse and PJ played on. I think cutting down the number of stages would be a good choice.

PassiveTheory
08-08-2007, 11:09 AM
Am I the only person who didnt find Coachella tickets that expensive this year? Sure they are somewhat expensive... but its 3 days! And with this years line up? I wasnt complaining.

Right, and that was the main reason why I went.

Also, JPIMCP, nice statement. I hope Muse was fucking fantastic because I had to miss Lolla this year... And I'm missing Street Scene... I fucking hate it. I want to see that band so fucking badly.

nothingman00
08-08-2007, 11:17 AM
Let's all agree that all festivals are good things for certain people. Shoegazer pretty much summed it up (though I haven;t gone to the Roo yet) well. They all have pluses and minuses but in the end, I'm happy to have so many festivals to choose from.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't kick the ACL scheduling gurus in the nuts (or twist their nipples if they are women) for the catastrophic conflicts this year, but I'm sure I'll have a blast regardless.

TomAz
08-08-2007, 11:43 AM
that sounds like fun.

instinct
08-10-2007, 08:05 PM
I am drooling over your itenerary. What do you do for a living?

LOL.. I'm actually unemployed right now..

But I've had money in stock that I took out for my Euro-trip.. also, I'm pretty much a jew when it comes to everyday life.. A large percentage of my income goes toward Concerts/Festivals/Clubs/Raves...

I guess I'll have I to show for it is ticket stubs.