PDA

View Full Version : It's raining Italian gods of cinema.

schoolofruckus
07-31-2007, 08:51 AM
The Bergman one didn't crush me. But now, Michelangelo Antonioni has left us as well.

Godspeed, you absolute fucking genius. The timing of this is amazing, as "L'Eclisse" is on its way to me from Netflix as we speak.

ThomThom
07-31-2007, 08:53 AM
Wow...what a loss, genius, pure fucking genius

J~$$$
07-31-2007, 08:55 AM
can you please list some more of his better work....I am ignorant when it comes to Michelangelo Antonioni.

PS RIP

ThomThom
07-31-2007, 09:09 AM
La Notte, Blowup, L Eclisse, Il Deserto Rosso...

J~$$$
07-31-2007, 09:10 AM
thank you.

bug on your lip
07-31-2007, 09:11 AM
never heard of em

but if he gave Scholio a boner

than i say Godspeed Sir

ThomThom
07-31-2007, 09:11 AM
No problem, the list I gave you does not do him justice though, I suggest doing a bit more research...this is quite a loss

schoolofruckus
07-31-2007, 09:23 AM
To which I add: L'Avventura, The Passenger, and Zabriskie Point.

L'Avventura, La Notte, and L'Eclisse are of a thematic trilogy (the downfall of the bored bourgeouise), and were the Italian films that launched him as a world-class filmmaker. L'Avventura is about a woman whose friend goes missing during a yachting excursion, who soon abandons searching for the missing woman to embark on an affair with her fiance and integrate herself into that lifestyle. La Notte is about a prestigious couple whose marriage is falling apart over the course of a night of partying. And I haven't seen L'Eclisse yet (as I said, it's coming tonight).

After Antonioni became successful, he was hired by producer Carlo Ponti (who would eventually go on to produce The Godfather, if I'm not mistaken) to direct three films in English:

Blow-up - maybe my favorite of his films - is about a fashion photographer in mod-crazy London who, while shooting one afternoon in Hyde Park, may or may not have inadvertently captured a murder on film. Zabriskie Point is a luscious yet meandering film about two counterculturists - a guy who may have killed a cop at a campus riot, and a free-spirited girl who sells her soul working in a corporate office - who converge in Death Valley for a Pink Floyd-scored day of wandering and lovemaking. And The Passenger stars a never-better Jack Nicholson as a traveling British journalist who, during a trip to Africa, abandons his identity in favor of another British man who has died.

If you want deep, leftist meditations on disillusionment and isolation delivered with some of the most stunning photography and thinly-veiled cynicism ever seen in film, then Antonioni is the answer.

schoolofruckus
07-31-2007, 09:57 AM
This (http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/archives/2007/07/antonioni_is_de.php) is a drop-dead perfect eulogy.

amyzzz
07-31-2007, 10:38 AM
Wasn't he like 95 or something? What do you want him to do, live forever miserably?

PotVsKtl
07-31-2007, 11:11 AM
Suck a dick.

mob roulette
07-31-2007, 11:14 AM
I was waiting for you to post this Gabe. Antonioni is cinema defined. God rest ye, merry gentlemen. Bergman too.

schoolofruckus
07-31-2007, 01:27 PM
Wasn't he like 95 or something? What do you want him to do, live forever miserably?

That was the most brain-dead statement in your entire history.....and anyone who's been paying attention here knows that's a feat not easily accomplished.

But assuming you weren't kidding (which, based on your tone, I will do), I'd love for you to point out how expressing sadness over the passing of a departed genius (and, for me, a personal hero) is equivalent to wishing him an eternity of misery.

Benis23
07-31-2007, 01:41 PM
so, who's the better director: michael bay or ingmar birgman?

corbo
07-31-2007, 07:59 PM
dang. RIP anotonioni.
L'Avventura was a truly great film.

algunz
07-31-2007, 08:20 PM
OMG, I just logged in to hang out and you destroy me.

Crazily, I have Blow Up randomly off netflix and I am going to go watch it RIGHT now.

algunz
08-01-2007, 10:45 PM
Well, I watched it and it was good.

RIP