PDA

View Full Version : Where should I work?

Courtney
07-30-2007, 11:07 PM
My dissertation advisor just got poached and is going to another university. I need to take a year off and apply to other programs.

rage patton
07-30-2007, 11:13 PM
My girlfriend and I were just talking about being an ESL teacher in another country today. Weird.
I dont think I would be very good at it. But she seemed really interested in it.

I say go with that.

Wheres the beef?
07-30-2007, 11:15 PM
I am all for it. I recently almost spent my entire savings on a restaurant in costa rica to move there and live there. ESL was going to be my back up source of income. I highly recommend ESL. Get out of this country while you still can.

Courtney
07-30-2007, 11:18 PM
Ok ESL. I hope they won't mind that I don't know how to spell housewife. Or maybe if their English is bad enough it won't matter because they won't know the difference.

crazzz2007
07-30-2007, 11:18 PM
I am all for it. I recently almost spent my entire savings on a restaurant in costa rica to move there and live there. ESL was going to be my back up source of income. I highly recommend ESL. Get out of this country while you still can.

you moved to costa rica? that's awesome. that takes balls.

rage patton
07-30-2007, 11:22 PM
Ok ESL. I hope they won't mind that I don't know how to spell housewife. Or maybe if their English is bad enough it won't matter because they won't know the difference.

When I was in highschool, there was this Japanese foreign exchange student. His name was Takahiro Nozaki. We called him Taka for short.
When he spoke in Japanese he had this dead serious expression on his face. But when he spoke in English, he would always laugh and say sorry. He wasn't the best at speaking English to say the least.
Turns out right now, he is an English teacher in Japan.

suprefan
07-30-2007, 11:25 PM
ESL or bartender. Bartender you know will give you bank, you just have to not give in to drinking a lot.

Courtney
07-30-2007, 11:38 PM
When I was in highschool, there was this Japanese foreign exchange student. His name was Takahiro Nozaki. We called him Taka for short.
When he spoke in Japanese he had this dead serious expression on his face. But when he spoke in English, he would always laugh and say sorry. He wasn't the best at speaking English to say the least.
Turns out right now, he is an English teacher in Japan.

Hey Japan. I like Japan. Sushi is yum. Also maybe I could go to shows and actually take photos and see the stage and not be dwarfed by tall men on all sides. And also I could do the Lost In Translation thing and wear a wig and go sing karaoke badly in some awesome bar with zebra-print wallpaper. And then have Bill Murray fall in love with me.

ESL or bartender. Bartender you know will give you bank, you just have to not give in to drinking a lot.

Why not?

full on idle
07-31-2007, 12:19 AM
which one pays the most?

also this song is for you: http://download.yousendit.com/0DF651D128E3ED6E

comiddle
07-31-2007, 01:01 AM
Do the ESL thing. Take a course in teaching children; all you really do is play games! It's a blast and a half!

There's also not much chance of a 5 year old asking how to spell "housewife".

sonofhal
07-31-2007, 03:36 AM
There are tons of ESL schools in London, and you have the added bonus of knowing the local dialect, and being in the best city for live music in the world. A love of rain would help too.

CuervoPH
07-31-2007, 03:44 AM
I love to cook, so I'd lean towards culinary school instructor...except that the whole moving to another country to be an ESL sounds awesome. You could probably do the same thing as a culinary school instructor but if your students didn't speak English well, that might be difficult. Imagine if you thought you were instructing someone (in their native language) on how to chiffonade their herbs and you actually ended up dealing their family the gravest insult possible.

clarky123
07-31-2007, 04:55 AM
Other - Hooker - Go on the game for a while but just be careful. You can choose your own hours. Pays really well, just make sure you get the money "up-front". But if for some reason you dont think that would be appropriate, I would plum for Bartender. Good luck with whatever you choose.

bug on your lip
07-31-2007, 05:43 AM
Question

1. how old are you ?

and brief description of your spending habits

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
07-31-2007, 05:47 AM
I picked art galley but the art museum would be just as nice...ESL can be rough on the senses if your not ready for it...

algunz
07-31-2007, 05:56 AM
Yes, leaving the country is the best option, UNLESS you're serious about finishing your dissertation -that's why I voted for bartender. (It was a great job to have while in school.)

It's too easy to be diverted. I've lost many a friend to the "teaching abroad" black hole. Of course they are some of the happiest people I know, except fot that void left by not having their post-graduate degrees.

Courtney
07-31-2007, 06:07 AM
which one pays the most?[

also this song is for you: http://download.yousendit.com/0DF651D128E3ED6E

Bartender probably pays the most. But wouldn't help me at all towards greater career goals. But would be very fun.

Also, YESSS.

Thank you for the flowers and the book by Derrida, but I must be getting back to dear Antarctica...

There are tons of ESL schools in London, and you have the added bonus of knowing the local dialect, and being in the best city for live music in the world. A love of rain would help too.

You just want me to stay on your couch. (Which I will gladly do.)

Question

1. how old are you ?

and brief description of your spending habits

I am 25.

I am debt-free. But I don't have much in the way of savings, either. I love shopping a lot.

Yes, leaving the country is the best option, UNLESS you're serious about finishing your dissertation -that's why I voted for bartender. (It was a great job to have while in school.)

It's too easy to be diverted. I've lost many a friend to the "teaching abroad" black hole. Of course they are some of the happiest people I know, except fot that void left by not having their post-graduate degrees.

Just to clarify, this isn't for a job to have while in school. I need to take a leave of absence no matter what, so I am already being diverted. Too late! :)

bug on your lip
07-31-2007, 06:30 AM
i would say work as a bartender for a couple years

best fun-to-money ratio available in the poll

bug on your lip
07-31-2007, 06:33 AM
it will be a great experience being an ESL instructor but you won't make shit

algunz
07-31-2007, 06:35 AM
Yea, but then you'll stand behind the bar regretting that you didn't take advantage of the down time and get the fuck out. Of course this will only help your tip income, because there are few things better than a girl bartender but one that you can also commiserate with over a drink or 10.

roberto73
07-31-2007, 06:38 AM
My dissertation advisor just got poached and is going to another university.

There must be something in the air. Mine told me last week that he got hired by Columbia University and leaves in January. He tells me he'll still see me through to the end of my PhD, but I'm none too excited about depending on emails and conference calls for the next two years.

And I have no input on decisions for your life. I find that decisions regarding my own life are borderline disastrous at best, so your're probably better off without my sage advice.

marooko
07-31-2007, 06:44 AM
I highly recommend ESL. Get out of this country while you still can.

i love this. its so freaking funny.

captncrzy
07-31-2007, 07:31 AM
Long shore fishermen make bank.

leo01g
07-31-2007, 09:53 AM
whatever you like doing the most. It sucks doing something that you dont like doing. Money shouldnt be number 1.

disgustipated
07-31-2007, 10:02 AM
Stay away from the service industry...it will eat yer soul.

mob roulette
07-31-2007, 03:55 PM
Hold up girl. My sister is doing the ESL thing in Taiwan right now and she says she is broke ass broke. Well, not really that bad, but she says she can't save for shit, which was kind of what she was hoping for. She says it's not exactly like they sell it to you and that the work itself is harder and more draining than she could have imagined. Like you work all day and you come home tired and starving but there's no like drive thru you can hit and there's no like crappy American cable or anything to veg out to, so you just get drunk inside your shitty apartment and play music that reminds you of home. I don't know, maybe if they assign you to paradise or something, it's different, but probabaly everyone wants to go to the tropics somewhere and there's only so much of that to go around. You might want to ask somebody who's actually doing it now and see what they say, my sister's experience might be unique, but I know she's a good traveler and has been all over the world. So. Take that for what it's worth.

I would say bartender. It's vapid and soul killing but you can make some good cash if you hang in there. Maybe just make fun of everybody the whole time. None of the other options you presented sound like they would make you any money, except for maybe being my housewife. Even then, it's not so much about the cash as it about living somewhere dope and driving a nice whip and not having to worry about jack shit and also just the sheer fuck-offness of it all, I guess. Like for real, you could tell them other ho's to catch a brick quick because you know who your man is and so do they. Bitches.

So yeah. Bartender. Or maybe admin in the financial industry, cause you might be able to get some good stock options. Just a thought.

algunz
07-31-2007, 04:00 PM
[QUOTE=roberto73;261534]There must be something in the air. Mine told me last week that he got hired by Columbia University and leaves in January. He tells me he'll still see me through to the end of my PhD, but I'm none too excited about depending on emails and conference calls for the next two years.QUOTE]

You should just pack up and go to NYC.

Wheres the beef?
07-31-2007, 04:24 PM
i love this. its so freaking funny.

About as funny as you are witty.

keriann
07-31-2007, 04:36 PM
Alternative to bartender would be waitress. Not so crazy of hours and you can still make bank if you work at a nice place.

psychic friend
07-31-2007, 04:50 PM
My friend did the ESL thing in Japan for 3 years. She made BANK. She loved it. and she is now also fluent in Japanese.

sonofhal
07-31-2007, 09:39 PM
My friend did the ESL thing in Japan for 3 years. She made BANK. She loved it. and she is now also fluent in Japanese.

The drummer from my last band did exactly the same. He came back with a huge amount of savings.

Courtney
08-05-2007, 10:01 AM
I am moving to Hawaii.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-06-2007, 10:10 AM
I am moving to Hawaii.

Why? Hawaii never gets any shows!!