PDA

View Full Version : Help Tom not be such a loser

TomAz
01-17-2007, 01:38 PM
I need to learn more about electronic music. My problem is while there is some stuff that I really love, some of it grates on me pretty bad.

I like: BoC, Bjork, Four Tet, most of the Aphex Twin I've heard, Thom Yorke's "Cymbal Rush", Chemical Brothers "Playground for a Wedgeless Firm"

I don't like: Daft Punk, Orbital, Underworld, disco, or the Chemical Brothers thing on the Budweiser ads.

what should I try next?

nothingman00
01-17-2007, 02:17 PM
I need to learn more about electronic music. My problem is while there is some stuff that I really love, some of it grates on me pretty bad.

I like: BoC, Bjork, Four Tet, most of the Aphex Twin I've heard, Thom Yorke's "Cymbal Rush", Chemical Brothers "Playground for a Wedgeless Firm"

I don't like: Daft Punk, Orbital, Underworld, disco, or the Chemical Brothers thing on the Budweiser ads.

what should I try next?

Future Sound of London is pretty non-grating, especially the older stuff. I think if you listened to the right "Orbital" stuff, you'd change your opinion of them, same with Underworld. I think Orbital was hitting on all cylinders during the early-mid 90's. Have you listened to "Belfast" off their debut? I'd also recommend "Halycon + On + On" off of Orbital 2 (actually, that entire album is pretty sweet). Snivilization (sp?) was somewhat of a disappointment to me, but then they released Insides, a 2-disc set of bliss. Just fantastic stuff on both discs... As for Underworld, I think they're at their best when they're playing low-key stuff. As much as I love "Born Slippy", I would recommend the album, "Second toughest in the Infants" -especially "Banstyle/Sappys Curry" and "Blueski"-2 tracks that are most definitely NOT grating, the latter sounding a little BOC-ish. I haven't really kept up with a lot of the more recent electronica acts, as I kinda left my electronica days behind me. Rabbit in the Moon are great, at least the old stuff they did with Hardkiss, especially "Out of Body Experience" which used to pump me up. If you like BoC then I think all of the aforementioned tracks/albums would be found to be "chill" rather than "grating".

Up, Bustle and Out released an album called "Light 'em up, Blow 'em out" that is excellent and not a typical electronica album. very exotic feeling. And then Coldcut "Let us Play" is another great album from that era. More "trip-hop" than anything, but very good.

mountmccabe
01-17-2007, 02:36 PM
DJ Shadow - ...Entroducing

Squarepusher - Ultravisitor or Go Plastic would be my recommendations as to where to start. You might not like everything on each album but if you like the Aphex Twin you should be fine with this.

You should try and see local artist/band Back Ted-N Ted and or buy/download from their website their music.

There are other people who can probably answer with more arists. But those two or three discs should be golden.

tessalasset
01-17-2007, 02:51 PM
Cut Chemist - The Audience's Listening
Daedelus - Exquisite Corpse
Moby - Play
Fila Brazillia
Ben Watt
The Books
the song "crayon" by manitoba
the song "like a pen" by the knife

boyalien0
01-17-2007, 03:06 PM
I second Go Plastic by Squarepusher.

mountmccabe
01-17-2007, 03:40 PM
Oooh, Caribou/Manitoba is a good answer. And I am listening to The Audience is Listening right now. It is good. I am OK with seconding that one.

Tom I wish I could recommend that you go to the Modified on Jan 31 to see Dosh and Sole but you would probably not like it for many reasons.

superfiction
01-17-2007, 03:53 PM
UNKLE

bballarl
01-17-2007, 06:10 PM
The Black Dog/Plaid. These groups are kind of in the Aphex Twin vein. Keywords are "kind of". But it doesnt remind me of the groups you don't like.

The Avalanches. Not electronic persay, but made a brilliant record using cut n' paste sampling techniques of really good dance music. Very fun to spot samples and whatnot.

The Orb. Ambient, nice.

Theres more, but thats all I have for now. If you want anything, let me know.

thinnerair
01-17-2007, 07:16 PM
DNTEL "Life is Full of Possibilities"
Esthero "Breath From Another" (not entirely 'electronic' but this album mixes trip hop production with live instrumentation really well)
im a fan of Crystal Method "vegas" album, though i havent listened to it in some time.

psychic friend
01-17-2007, 07:18 PM
based on what you said i agree with whoever said dj shadow at least..

i dont get squarepusher.

I like all the stuff you don't like, therefore, i dont get you. hahaa.

Jenniehoo
01-17-2007, 07:32 PM
This board is still kind of freaking me out. I feel like it's the first day of second grade.

psychic friend
01-17-2007, 07:32 PM
cha cha cha changes..........

boyalien0
01-17-2007, 07:34 PM
Plaid! I totally forgot Plaid. Saw them at the fest years ago, good stuff. Mouse On Mars is pretty decent as well.

JelloPuddingChat
01-18-2007, 01:43 AM
Bonbo - Animal Magic. It's quite relaxing.

frankl
01-18-2007, 04:09 AM
Excellent question, Tom.

I can second Future Sound of London, especially "Lifeforms". They are the artist that brought me to my first Coachella in 2004. Unfortunately they cancelled, but I had a great time anyway, and the rest is history.

Looking at past lineups, here are some artists who have recent albums available at music.download.com (my favorite site for free music):

Moby (http://music.download.com/moby/3600-8362_32-100972922.html?tag=MDL_listing_song_artist), Richie Hawtin (http://music.download.com/richiehawtin/3600-8369_32-100054922.html?tag=MDL_listing_song_artist), Christopher Lawrence (http://music.download.com/christopherlawrence/3600-8263_32-100011933.html?tag=MDL_listing_song_artist), Dieselboy presents (http://music.download.com/fullalbumstreamdieselboy/3615-10541_32-100987439.html?tag=MDL_chart_topdls_artist), the Crystal Method (http://music.download.com/thecrystalmethod/3600-8243_32-100065514.html?tag=MDL_listing_song_artist), Miss Kittin (http://music.download.com/fullalbumstreammisskittin/3600-8261_32-100987529.html?tag=MDL_listing_song_artist), Ben Watt (http://music.download.com/fullalbumstreambenwatt/3600-10683_32-100925775.html?tag=MDL_listing_song_artist), Diplo (http://music.download.com/diplo/3600-8362_32-100858598.html?tag=MDL_listing_song_artist), Carl Cox (http://music.download.com/carlcox/3600-10683_32-100010045.html?tag=MDL_listing_song_artist), Laurent Garnier (http://music.download.com/3600-5-100037604.html)

Here's what the kids are listening to these days: The Knife (http://music.download.com/theknife/3600-8362_32-100940495.html?tag=MDL_listing_song_artist) MSTRKRFT (http://music.download.com/mstrkrft/3600-9133_32-100934109.html?tag=MDL_listing_song_artist)

Finally a couple of tracks just for fun: Ulrich Schnauss (http://music.download.com/ulrichschnauss/3600-8367_32-100571275.html?tag=MDL_listing_song_artist) elektromusic.com (http://music.download.com/elektromusiccom/3600-9133_32-100756893.html?tag=MDL_listing_song_artist)

enjoy.

TomAz
01-18-2007, 05:49 AM
14 responses and not one snide remark. Has everyone turned over a new leaf on the new board?

thanks for the suggestions.. this gives me lots of stuff to investigate on my long trip this week.

york707
01-18-2007, 06:44 AM
You're old.

TomAz
01-18-2007, 06:50 AM
I like all the stuff you don't like, therefore, i dont get you. hahaa.

I think that's been long established.

You're old.

Ditto.

adamnikyo
01-18-2007, 06:53 AM
Tom, listen to Trentemoller. I'm not fucking kidding you, chief.

york707
01-18-2007, 07:02 AM
I was trying to bring some of the spirit of the old board over here...

bug on your lip
01-18-2007, 07:19 AM
so albums i believe to be ESSENTIAL.

Avalanches - Since I Left You
Future Sound of London - ISDN
Underworld - Beaucoup Fish
Sasha - Airdrawndagger
Fatboy Slim - You've Come A Long Way, Baby
Aphex Twin - Richard D. James Album
Orbital - Orbital 2
Chemical Brothers - Dig Your Own Hole
Ian Pooley - Since Then
Girl Talk - Night Ripper
Mu-Ziq - Lunatic Harness
Orb - U.F.Off: The Best Of The Orb

superfiction
01-18-2007, 09:52 AM
i could never get into aphex twin. i dunno.

PotVsKtl
01-18-2007, 09:58 AM
Feel free to disregard any post in this thread which recommends you subject yourself to the lukewarm pap smear that is a Moby album.

Yablonowitz
01-18-2007, 09:59 AM
Have you had a lukewarm pap smear before? They're not that bad.

full on idle
01-18-2007, 10:02 AM
I only like their early stuff.

Yablonowitz
01-18-2007, 10:04 AM
I can't believe I can post in this forum. I was all ready to start life anew, no message board during work. Nose to the grindstone, fitter, happier, trimmer. Now I'm going to keep slacking and slumming.

nothingman00
01-18-2007, 10:05 AM
Can't believe I left off the Orb. Little Fluffy Clouds was terrific, though somewhat overplayed.

york707
01-18-2007, 10:08 AM
Yablo, I feel the exact same way.

adamnikyo
01-18-2007, 10:16 AM
I can't believe I can post in this forum.

Try not to hit 11billion posts so fast this time.

Yablonowitz
01-18-2007, 10:21 AM
Try to offer better technical support.

TomAz
01-18-2007, 10:41 AM
Tom I wish I could recommend that you go to the Modified on Jan 31 to see Dosh and Sole but you would probably not like it for many reasons.

the main one being I'll just be getting back to town that night after like 30 hours on an airplane. or rather series of airplanes.

joeinthebox
01-18-2007, 12:56 PM
Gus Gus!

mountmccabe
01-18-2007, 02:53 PM
so albums i believe to be ESSENTIAL.

Avalanches - Since I Left You
Future Sound of London - ISDN
Underworld - Beaucoup Fish
Sasha - Airdrawndagger
Fatboy Slim - You've Come A Long Way, Baby
Aphex Twin - Richard D. James Album
Orbital - Orbital 2
Chemical Brothers - Dig Your Own Hole
Ian Pooley - Since Then
Girl Talk - Night Ripper
Mu-Ziq - Lunatic Harness
Orb - U.F.Off: The Best Of The Orb

Given your comments on what you liked I would stay away from the Sasha and Fatboy Slim (and from other suggestions, the Crystal Method.) I'm not sure you'd like Girl Talk (yet.)

I've never really heard much FSOL or Mu-Ziq tho I've wanted to.

mountmccabe
01-18-2007, 02:55 PM
the main one being I'll just be getting back to town that night after like 30 hours on an airplane. or rather series of airplanes.

Dude there's no better way to recover from an extended series of long plane trips than going to a small downtown arts venue that doesn't sell alcohol or have heat (right?) to hear artists you don't know and very possibly won't enjoy.

Damn I'm looking forward to that show.

PotVsKtl
01-18-2007, 04:00 PM
Given your comments on what you liked I would stay away from the Sasha and Fatboy Slim (and from other suggestions, the Crystal Method.) I'm not sure you'd like Girl Talk (yet.)

I've never really heard much FSOL or Mu-Ziq tho I've wanted to.

In fact, stay away from Avalanches, Future Sound of London, Underworld, Sasha, Fatboy Slim, Orbital, Chemical Brothers, Ian Pooley, Girl Talk and The Orb. Great suggestions though.

xbnmx
01-18-2007, 05:40 PM
Evil Nine - You Can Be Special Too
John Digweed - Choice
Mylo - Destroy Rock and Roll
The Orb - Okie Dokie It's The Orb On Kompakt

Or better yet I can upload live sets for you...

Kampy
01-18-2007, 06:07 PM
Cut Chemist - The Audience's Listening
Daedelus - Exquisite Corpse
Moby - Play
Fila Brazillia
Ben Watt
The Books
the song "crayon" by manitoba
the song "like a pen" by the knife

I second Cut Chemist - The Audience's Listening. i've heard him do stuff from it live a couple times recently and it works. plus, dude had a remote control R2D2 that he brings to some of his gigs, so you gotta love him

tessalasset
01-18-2007, 06:18 PM
damn i love new posters

nothingman00
01-18-2007, 10:15 PM
Pot, sometimes I hate you. FSOL, Underworld, Orbital, the Orb, early Chem Bros are all non-grating, chillout electronic acts. I just don't think Tom has listened to the right Orbital stuff yet. The newer shitty is crap. But anything pre-98 (besides snivilization) is great.

jackstraw94086
01-19-2007, 07:04 AM
Plaid - Rest Proof Clockwork. No brainer.

Here's a few IDMish mp3's that may appeal to a BOC/Four Tet/(coherent)Aphex Twin fan.
http://download.yousendit.com/8B27A7A75E7C993C
If any of these amuse you I could perhaps divulge more.

I added them to the zip file before renaming them so you can reference the list below to fill in the artist.

Melodium - Hellomusic
Jimmy Edgar - Pret a Porter
Kettel - Pinch of Peer
Luke Vibert - Homewerks
Point B - Caustic
Horsepower Production - Django's Revenge
SchneiderTM - The Light 3000
Multiplex - Angles (Spark Mix)
Dabrye - So Scientific
Dimlite - Back To The Univers pt 2
Digitonal - Emberkreiss
Kettel - Centercourt
Ochre - Drink Malk
Exillon - Then She Said

joeinthebox
01-19-2007, 10:05 AM
Capitol K's album "Island Row" (2002) is nice too.

jackstraw94086
01-19-2007, 10:27 AM
Capitol K's album "Island Row" (2002) is nice too.

do not buy anything else of his though, especially his newest.

NeverMyopic
01-19-2007, 05:57 PM
I need to learn more about electronic music. My problem is while there is some stuff that I really love, some of it grates on me ***tty bad.

what should I try next?

It sounds like you get more into the mellow/ambient type electronic; maybe even more upbeat, but not necessarily constant repetative type "club music". I like a lot of the recommendations, some I would second, here's my suggestions:

DJ Shadow - Endtroducing
FSOL - Lifeforms
Cut Chemist - The Audience is Listening
Hybrid - Finished Symphony E.P. & I Choose Noise
RJD2 - Deadringer, Since We Last Spoke, & Here's What's Left [Single]
Orbital - Early Albums
Electric ***sident - Electronic Indie
Fischerspooner - Both Albums
Groove Armada - Vertigo
Kruder & Dorfmeister - The K & D Session
Theviery Corporation - The Mirror Conspiracy & The Richest Man in Babylon
Moby - Play, 18, or Hotel
Ratatat - Classics
Swayzak - Route De La Slack - Remixes & Rarities
Teddybears - Soft *******
Trentomoller - New Album, plus some good singles
Yppah - You Are Beautiful At All Times
I hope those help

fatbastard
01-19-2007, 06:02 PM
Pudding pops. Nice!

fatbastard
01-19-2007, 06:13 PM
It sounds like your not too much of a fan of fast beats per minute. It sounds like your more of an ambient fan.

For what it's worth:
Zero 7
Cafe Del Mar series (#6 is my favorite)
Ulrich Schnauss
Royksopp
Sasha

TomAz
01-20-2007, 04:23 PM
hi.. I'm in singapore on my way to India.

before I left I got Moby - Play; FSOL - ISDN; and Squarepusher - Go Plastic. I like Squarepusher a lot, that's what I had in mind. FSOL seems very experimental (read: weird) and that's good too but perhaps a slightly tougher nut to crack.

fatbastard: it's not the BPM that grate on me. It's just some stuff seems like it only makes sense on a dancefloor, while other stuff is just more 'listenable'. chalk it up to my 'disco sucks' teen years.

The Moby I got before I saw Pot's condemnation and before I saw that Gwen Stefani is on one song. It's ok but seems ***tty umm.. average. Also it doesn't seem like what I think of as 'electronic' music, but what do I know? anyway the album didn't excite me but did serve as decent background music while I was working on my ***sentations.

Thank you all for your recommendations.

edit: nm
but i think it rearranged the order of my paragraphs. now that's freaky.

bug on your lip
01-20-2007, 04:42 PM
NeverMyopic

nice call on Teddybears - Soft *******

i've really been enjoying that CD lately
BTW, the word T-A-R-G-E-T is now being censored

NeverMyopic
01-20-2007, 06:51 PM
bug on your lip:
They actually used to be a punk band but changed a couple years ago - thus probably having Iggy Pop on their album. I like the album a lot.

TomAZ:
FSOL - ISDN is ***tty experimental, it was broadcast ISDN, I want to say in '96 or something like that. Lifeforms is a really good "organic" sounding album. Also try Yppah - You Are Beautiful At All Times, a great album

corbo
01-21-2007, 08:59 PM
Röyksopp RULES! buy MELODY AM NOW!!

Tylerdurden31
01-21-2007, 09:45 PM
Amon Tobin - Bricolage
Telefon Tel Aviv - Fahrenheit Fair Enough

crazzz2007
09-08-2007, 01:53 PM
http://www.breaktaker.com/albums/pictures/signs/Bump.jpg

so tom, how was your foray into electronic music

malcolmjamalawesome
09-08-2007, 03:37 PM
Maybe he'd like Thievery Corp?

Mr.Nipples
09-08-2007, 03:39 PM
DJ Shadow - ...Entroducing

Squarepusher - Ultravisitor or Go Plastic would be my recommendations as to where to start. You might not like everything on each album but if you like the Aphex Twin you should be fine with this.

+10,000...dont forget 'feed me weird things'...

RotationSlimWang
09-08-2007, 03:39 PM
Tom, I was wondering how you feel about the fact that Rock The Casbah is the best Clash song.

Does it make you scream? Scream for me, Tom.

Mr.Nipples
09-08-2007, 03:44 PM
shit, i just realized how old this thread is...

PotVsKtl
09-08-2007, 03:54 PM
Yeah what's up in the place. Bomb track.

crazzz2007
09-08-2007, 04:05 PM
shit, i just realized how old this thread is...

ya, that's basically what the bump was for

RotationSlimWang
09-08-2007, 04:09 PM
... bomb track, you say?

bballarl
09-08-2007, 04:36 PM
For the record, I don't think helping Tom find electronica he likes will make him less of a loser. He was probably born that way.

gaypalmsprings
09-08-2007, 04:54 PM
http://www.carbuyersnotebook.com/archives/loser.jpg

Wheres the beef?
09-08-2007, 09:27 PM
Just listen to The Box by Orbital.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-09-2007, 09:55 AM

what should I try next?

This is a hard one..seeing as how you listen pretty left field electronic artist as liking and listed the pretty centered electronic music as disliking. Well, if you like BoC and Aphex then why not deep into the Warp Records catalog? It was Thom biggest musical influence after post OK Computer and if you like Cymbal Rush why not? A few folks have already mentioned Squarepusher so that is a good start. You can also try Autechre, probably some of the music non traditional electronic music around. And if you want to get really crazy Venetian Snares (Though that might be a little too wild...). How about Kraftwerk? Pick up their live album Minimum Maximum if you don't have a clue to their music...

PassiveTheory
09-09-2007, 11:21 AM
Try listening to:

Junior Boys - This is Goodbye
DNTEL - Dumb Luck
Kraftwerk - Tour de France
Faithless - Forever Faithless

And if you don't mind dub influence too much, you might want to check out Groove Armada's catalog.

luckyface
09-09-2007, 11:35 AM
I can't believe I missed this thread before. Tom, you have very similar taste in electronic music. Here are some artists to look into:

ISAN
Manual
Populous
Baby Mammoth
DJ Shadow (older)
Bonobo
Ulrich Schnauss
The Album Leaf
Global Communication
Dntel

I have tons of others to name as well, but that should be a good place to start. Check out the artists from the following labels:

Morr Music
Noise Factory
Guidance Recordings (it is now defunct, but it was in my opinion the preeminent electronic record label when it was around)
Ninja Tune
Warp

garrett222
09-09-2007, 12:02 PM
Mum