PDA

View Full Version : Best time to book flight

lowfront
07-15-2007, 06:58 PM
Looking at flights and the cheapest one right now is like 15 more then I paid last year.

Is this cause its so far away or are prices only going to go up?

When do you guys think the best time to get a place ticket is?

captncrzy
07-15-2007, 07:54 PM
That depends on where you are going and what is going on in the city in which you are flying into. It also depends on fuel costs and what other airlines are doing. Southwest just raised their prices, you it's possible that others will follow. Always book early, but not too early. One little known fact: many airlines will offer you the difference back on your flight if you are a preferred (or elite, or gold, or whatever their program is) member. Meaning, if you buy a ticket on their airline for $400 and three months later, the price goes down to $300, they'll refund you the difference (minus the change fee); or, they'll waive the change fee if you take the difference in an airline voucher to use at a later date.

You need to watch the market pretty regularly. I haven't heard of any pending airline fare wars, but I do know that the price of gas should decrease a little once the summer demand is over-depending on their hedging agreement. As far as times of day, the cheapest tickets are always available in the middle of the night; the pricing analysts usually make their adjustments at night.

psychic friend
07-15-2007, 10:28 PM
there is a website (i cant think of the name off top of my head) that predicts the best times/prices of flights. Like it would say the best time to buy that flight is in a week or a month or whatever. I think it shows a graph of predicted prices.

orbit
07-15-2007, 10:39 PM
Looking at flights and the cheapest one right now is like 15 more then I paid last year.

Is this cause its so far away or are prices only going to go up?

They know Bowie will be there next year.

orbit
07-15-2007, 10:40 PM
there is a website (i cant think of the name off top of my head) that predicts the best times/prices of flights. Like it would say the best time to buy that flight is in a week or a month or whatever. I think it shows a graph of predicted prices.

www.farecast.com

psychic friend
07-15-2007, 10:57 PM
www.farecast.com

ya, try that.. that's it.

lowfront
07-15-2007, 11:13 PM
From BOS to ONT

doesn't seem to give predictions....

hmm

captncrzy
07-16-2007, 07:32 PM
I'll ask around when I get back to the office on Wednesday; I'm sure someone around there knows how the forcasting works. (I work for an airline)
BOS to ONT is going to be expensive no matter what; since it's a cross country trip, I'm thinking the prices won't fluxuate that much.

lowfront
07-16-2007, 07:46 PM
Ya let me know about that.

Would love to hear what they have to say about it.

JustSteve
07-17-2007, 09:05 AM
ya, try that.. that's it.

looks like you can only get the graph for travel within 90 days of the current date

SheriNOIR
07-30-2007, 03:00 PM
I've noticed that.. Flight prices for around coachella time next year are more than I payed for mine, and I got mine literally hours before the festie whoch made it more expensive..

Someone told me it was to do with the whole 'carbon footprint' thing.. because planes are killing the earth yada yada yada..

captncrzy
07-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Ok, I'm sorry I forgot but I just checked with a director here.

As a general rule, flights usually get MUCH MORE expensive approximately 21 days in advance. They do this to try to get the highest fare possible from the regular business traveler. The exception is if the destination is not-so-popular. Sometimes, airlines will run last-minute sales to try to sell out the flight.

Other than that, timing really doesn't have much to do with the price of the ticket; other things come into play..fuel costs, etc. His suggestion was to compare prices between Expedia, Travelocity, etc and book sooner rather than later since the odds of the flights to and from Palm Springs and the surrounding airports will be full way in advance of the festival-so don't plan on any fare wars into that airport for around that time. He also said that the price won't fluxuate THAT much from now until next year.

F00FIGHTER20
11-16-2007, 09:50 AM
$315 roundtrip from NY.......the same flight was 298 three weeks ago......the sooner the better... prices will only get more expensive, especially with the rising fuel prices.......

Courtney
11-16-2007, 09:58 AM
His suggestion was to compare prices between Expedia, Travelocity, etc and book sooner rather than later since the odds of the flights to and from Palm Springs and the surrounding airports will be full way in advance of the festival-so don't plan on any fare wars into that airport for around that time.

I agree with this.

fatboy192
11-16-2007, 11:06 AM
i would say the best time to book a flight is after you have conformation of your coachella tickets, alot of people booked flights this year before and lost money because they didn't get tickets

captncrzy
11-16-2007, 11:22 AM
Most airlines have a "refundable" option when you book tickets. Before booking a seat, check to see what the refund or change policy is. In most cases, you may not be able to get your flight refunded, but you can hold on to the confirmation number and use it for a different flight (usually within one year); there usually is a fee assocaited-anywhere from $25-100 depending...

Lauren421
11-17-2007, 05:46 PM
i would say the best time to book a flight is after you have conformation of your coachella tickets, alot of people booked flights this year before and lost money because they didn't get tickets

I agree

F00FIGHTER20
11-19-2007, 09:04 AM
lets just say i am ready to buy 3day/camping tickets the day they go onsale.....basically what i am looking for here is some reassurance that i won't have a problem getting tickets the first day......

orbit
11-20-2007, 12:53 PM
Wake up early, and get a good internet connection. It won't sell out the first day. Or maybe it will.

I think I'll be booking my flight after christmas season. I'll go with southwest since they don't charge any fee if I want to change dates. At least it's better than the $100 fee Continental charges for each change.

DSN1138
11-20-2007, 01:46 PM
Trust me sold out tickets shouldnt be stressed over. I have gone almost every year without tickets, most of the time I pay normal price too. There are lots of people who have extra tickets and they are forced to wait outside until they sell the ticket, unless they want to lose money on that ticket.

F00FIGHTER20
11-26-2007, 11:43 AM
thanks, to both of you........my flights are booked......