PDA

View Full Version : Trader Joes Love

whynotsmile99
07-15-2007, 12:21 PM
It seems that quite a few people here are fans of Trader Joes, the greatest market chain ever. Ralphs and Vons can fuck themselves, it's all about the Joes.

http://www.5bbc.org/images/2004/20041121_traderjoes_large.jpg
So whats your favorite things to when food shopping at the Traders?

My list:

Green Tea Mochi

Masala Veggie Burgers (taste like Indian food)

Kosher Chicken

Vanilla Cat Cookies/Alphabet cinnamon cookies

Thai Green Chili and Lime Peanuts

Bottles and bottles of 2 buck chuck

Pepper Jack Cheese

Stuffed Salmon

Pre Cooked Mussles

Wasabi Peas

the list goes on

dorkfish
07-15-2007, 12:24 PM
Butter
Frozen Gnocchi

The rest isn't predetermined

suprefan
07-15-2007, 12:44 PM
Cinnaomon cover almonds, sesame covered almonds. Cheese, hahaI am so bad..

for those who drink, I heard that vodka made by Burnetts is good and its really cheap.

EVERYONE at my work is obsessed with Wasabi peas now, one of them brought it randomly one day then everyone was buying them.

miscorrections
07-15-2007, 12:48 PM
the tangerine juice. the produce. AND EVERYTHING ELSE.

i like bristol farms too though, and i usually do my shopping at vons because it's within walking distance and has reasonably good produce. i have no real grocery store loyalty but if everything was at the same convenience level i'd go with tj's.

thefunkylama
07-15-2007, 12:57 PM
Sometimes when I'm in there buying my staple items, I'll just randomly grab something new off the shelf and try it. I'm rarely disappointed.

tessalasset
07-15-2007, 01:15 PM
The black bean and jack cheese burritos are awesome and only 1.99 and completely filling. i also like the sweet chili and cheese tamales. and the chinese chicken salad. i love that i can get the same morningstar foods there for half the price ralphs charges.

tessalasset
07-15-2007, 01:15 PM
oh shit and the black bean chips. mmmmmmmm.

ThomThom
07-15-2007, 01:32 PM
Chicken Gyoza's, Gyoza sauce, Black Bean chips, Margherita Pizza, Quilmes Argentinian Beer, some Peach flavored Champagne, 2 buck chuck, La Boca wines, beef taquitos, beef tamales, chicken and cheese tamales, sweet italian sausage, lemon pepper chicken breasts, carne asada, pepper jack cheese, spicy salami, sweet white corn, garlic fries, chipotle ranch fries, chicken chow mein, fried rice...the list goes on and on

menikmati
07-15-2007, 01:34 PM
http://cbusimc.org/files/smallpicjoes.JPG

ThomThom
07-15-2007, 01:38 PM
My eggs are from Costco...sorry

menikmati
07-15-2007, 01:41 PM
I prefer to not be involved/linked/associated to any kind of store and activity such as this:

KU4QJZb-S7w

thefunkylama
07-15-2007, 01:44 PM
Before it was just the yuppies.

captncrzy
07-15-2007, 07:41 PM
My very favorite stuff:

Their frozen Mandarin Orange chicken
Two Buck Chuck (of course)
Their lowfat/nofat cheddar-melts like the real stuff\
Super ginger ginger snaps
Their teriyaki sauce
Their mini frozen pepperoni pizzas
Their lunch salads
And my number one favorite....

$1 PIZZA DOUGH. Seriously, that stuff is the shit. It's a buck; roll it out and throw it on your pizza stone with some cornmeal. It's like pizzeria pizza dough.

Boourns
07-15-2007, 08:06 PM
Good thread. Gotta love Trader Joes. Anyway, off the top of my head:
strawberry lemonade
BBQ chips (best chips in the world)
pizza dough
chocolate bars (they come in packs of 3 by the register)
peanut butter cups
pizza sauce
frozen orange chicken
ground beef
ribeye steak
cheese (all are good)
cheesecake
frozen beef taquitos (the chicken ones are nasty, only bad thing I've had at TJ's, but the beef are delicious, especially if you cook them in the pan and sprinkle on some cheese)
frozen pizza
Joe's O's
Two Buck Chuck
gelati
mochi
fruit (sooo expensive, though)
bread
peanut butter
jelly

Yeah, theirs is the only frozen food I will touch. I picked up a sandwich for lunch once when doing audience work for Deal Or No Deal (only place within walking distance) and it was rather good.

Anyone try their alfredo sauce? I'm rather picky about that sort of thing, and can actually make my own, but if it's good, that would be awesome.

theburiedlife
07-15-2007, 08:53 PM
I prefer to not be involved/linked/associated to any kind of store and activity such as this:

Erik do you think this is exclusive to Trader Joes? I want to know a shop that has employees who never idle or goof around.

Hannahrain
07-15-2007, 08:55 PM
Goat cheese empanadas.

And also everything else.

Tylerdurden31
07-15-2007, 08:55 PM
this store is great for lunch. I buy a weeks worth of single serving meals for about 15-20 bucks and I just leave everything at work so I don't have to spend $10 a day

tessalasset
07-15-2007, 09:01 PM
this store is great for lunch. I buy a weeks worth of single serving meals for about 15-20 bucks and I just leave everything at work so I don't have to spend $10 a day

complete ditto.

ThomThom
07-15-2007, 09:02 PM
Their sushi is not terrible either, like most market's

menikmati
07-15-2007, 09:15 PM
A baby, wearing a dress is being bounced around on the counter by her mother with the father watching on while their groceries are being rung and bagged up.

Trader Joe's employee watches the couple for a second and smiles at the baby and then looks at the parents and asks "Is that baby a boy or a girl". Parents just kinda stand there. Another Trader Joe's employee leans over and whispers to the first employee, "uhh that baby is wearing a dress dude".

True story...

JustSteve
07-15-2007, 09:17 PM
we get all our groceries at tj's, except for fruits and veggies. for those we go to a place called grower's direct, basically a farmers market, so cheap and so fresh. i have been going to ralphs lately for organic strawberries, though...$1 for a pound of them!

i love that the mexican food is called "trader jose's", italian food is "trader giotto's".

JustSteve
07-15-2007, 09:21 PM
A baby, wearing a dress is being bounced around on the counter by her mother with the father watching on while their groceries are being rung and bagged up.

Trader Joe's employee watches the couple for a second and smiles at the baby and then looks at the parents and asks "Is that baby a boy or a girl". Parents just kinda stand there. Another Trader Joe's employee leans over and whispers to the first employee, "uhh that baby is wearing a dress dude".

True story...

my daughter is pretty much always in pink, but has very little hair so far...people always come up and say i have a beautiful boy. seriously??

miscorrections
07-15-2007, 09:27 PM
it was the same when i was little. everyone thought my brother was the girl because he had such big eyes even though he was dressed in shirts featuring trucks and dinosaurs, and everyone thought i was the boy because i had no hair even though i was always wearing a pink bow on my head and dresses.

leo01g
07-15-2007, 10:35 PM
Goat cheese empanadas.

And also everything else.

dAmn that sounds good! Are they the ones that are fried?

saxomophone
07-15-2007, 10:36 PM
What is Two Buck Chuck?

ThomThom
07-15-2007, 10:44 PM
What is Two Buck Chuck?
Charles Shaw is an American brand of "extreme value" wine produced in California.

They are distributed exclusively by Trader Joe's grocery stores, and in California sell for $1.99. Because of this, the Charles Shaw wines are affectionately known as Two Buck Chuck.

full on idle
07-15-2007, 10:45 PM
marinated bean salad in a can
simmer sauce
frozen naan
garlic fries
masala burgers (good call whoever put them already)
juice squeeze
boxed Indian food
greens with envy (frozen asparagus/spinach/broccoli/edamame combo)
black bean veggie burritos
luna bars
emergen-c

saxomophone
07-15-2007, 10:48 PM
Charles Shaw is an American brand of "extreme value" wine produced in California.

They are distributed exclusively by Trader Joe's grocery stores, and in California sell for $1.99. Because of this, the Charles Shaw wines are affectionately known as Two Buck Chuck.

Oh I see.

Luna bars and frozen naan.. that sounds tasty. I should go to TJ more often.

leo01g
07-15-2007, 10:50 PM
dried mango

ThomThom
07-15-2007, 10:56 PM
I like those frozen mango chunks

downingthief
07-16-2007, 09:16 AM

They are at $2.99 in the TJ's by me. Now, Charles is 3 buck chuck.

Boourns
07-16-2007, 11:10 AM
Two Buck Chuck is four bucks on the east coast. The only thing that isn't more expensive in California, yes.

meyouseek
07-16-2007, 05:29 PM
Trader Joes' peanut butter filled pretzels are approximately 98% crack cocaine. Also be sure to have a large beverage when snacking on them as you will surely choke otherwise.

The only food with a higher % of crack = Panda Express Orange Chicken

captncrzy
07-16-2007, 06:18 PM
They are at $2.99 in the TJ's by me. Now, Charles is 3 buck chuck.

Yeah, that must be an AZ alcohol tax or something; they're $2.99 now.

Hey Menk, just so you know, TJ's is widely known in the service industry as one of the best companies to work for in the U.S. (up there with Starbucks). They're encouraged to have fun with their customers, have fun at work, etc, and they get paid extremely well for grocery store employees.

Translation=the manager is probably the one holding the camera.

menikmati
07-16-2007, 06:22 PM
but I don't like the happy-dancy-goofy attitude/mood....obviously.

captncrzy
07-16-2007, 06:24 PM
Awwww....sounds like somebody has a case of the Mondays.

menikmati
07-16-2007, 06:26 PM
yeah mondays suck

captncrzy
07-16-2007, 06:29 PM
No, it's from Office Space.

never mind...it was funny in my head.

menikmati
07-16-2007, 06:33 PM
though actually I don't like the happy-goofy-dancy attitude on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays, or Sundays.

mob roulette
07-16-2007, 06:34 PM
The boys at Trader Joe's always flirt with me. If they are cute, then I am flattered. If they are homely or slutty looking in any way, then I am aghast. Literally aghast.

Boourns
07-16-2007, 06:41 PM
Yeah, how dare homely people have human urges, desires, and feelings? Those monsters.

fatbastard
07-23-2007, 03:40 PM
Peanut butter and celery
Raspberries
Organic bananas
Grape medley
Roma tomatoes
Cherries
Cauliflower/broccoli/carrot medley
Pepper mill
Olive oil
Basmati rice
Colossal shrimp
Ginger snap cookies
TJ black licorice (formally kookaburra)
Chocolate covered red licorice
Heavy cream
Virginia peanuts
Smoked apple wood bacon
Gruyere cheese
Light Irish cheese
Kashi
Indian simmer sauce
San Pelligrino

crazzz2007
07-23-2007, 03:48 PM

they taste like shit though.

AEversW
07-23-2007, 03:48 PM
humus.

crazzz2007
07-23-2007, 03:53 PM
the mini chicken tacos are really good.

the spinach artichoke dip is amazing.

they have a great selection of sausages.

the pancake mix is solid.

the new york cheesecake (you must buy a bottle of the trader joes chocolate sauce and a package of frozen fruit medley. top the cheesecake with a bunch of the chocolate, top with the fruit medley, and more chocolate on top. it is un-fucking-believable).

great selection of cheeses.

whynotsmile99
04-21-2008, 12:27 PM
i'm bumping this. Getting my final goodies for the festival.

I highly recommend the organic Animal Crackers. Joe Joe's, delicious as they are, will melt.

and don't forget the dired fruit/nuts/2 buck chuck

amyzzz
04-21-2008, 12:28 PM
I'm going to Fresh & Easy.

NiceArthur32
04-21-2008, 12:30 PM

KU4QJZb-S7w

i actually like trader joes even more because of this video...

Double Chocolate Mochi...

Pomegranate green tea...

AND ALL THEIR FUCKING TRAIL MIX!!!

FTW!

oh, and their salami and sharp cheddar is fucking killer!

SFChrissy
04-21-2008, 12:30 PM
My very favorite stuff:

Their frozen Mandarin Orange chicken
I love this stuff!!!

Asian Crackers the variety bag
Dried Blueberries, cranberries, dragon fruit & hibiscus...oh thin banana chips
Laundry soap
almonds & pistachios

That about does it for me...

How is there bread & cereal???

whynotsmile99
04-21-2008, 12:32 PM
wow forgot all about those frozen pineapple/mango pieces. Those are going in the beer cooler no doubt!

whynotsmile99
04-21-2008, 12:35 PM
I love this stuff!!!

Asian Crackers the variety bag
Dried Blueberries, cranberries, dragon fruit & hibiscus...oh thin banana chips
Laundry soap
almonds & pistachios
How is there bread & cereal???
they have great bread. They have fresh sun dried tomato tortillas that are fantastic as well. As far as cereal goes, the froested wheat thins are delicious. If you are trying to be healthy, I usually get the kashi cereal. Watch out for the fiber though! I would give the Kashi a pass at Coachella weekend, unless you want to be visiting the porti potties as much as the Gobi

How is there bread & cereal???[/QUOTE]

captncrzy
04-21-2008, 12:37 PM
I'm going to Fresh & Easy.

Fresh and Easy has their own version of two buck chuck

thedevious
04-21-2008, 12:43 PM
The boys at Trader Joe's always flirt with me. If they are cute, then I am flattered. If they are homely or slutty looking in any way, then I am aghast. Literally aghast.

Homely people shouldn't flirt at work, unless they have mad funny/charisma game.

The trader Joe's branded scotch if you can find it is a fucking godsend, 12 15 even 25 year old Balvenies, Taliskers, Macallans and the like for almost half what they would cost in a liquor store.

SFChrissy
04-21-2008, 12:46 PM
they have great bread. They have fresh sun dried tomato tortillas that are fantastic as well. As far as cereal goes, the froested wheat thins are delicious. If you are trying to be healthy, I usually get the kashi cereal. Watch out for the fiber though! I would give the Kashi a pass at Coachella weekend, unless you want to be visiting the porti potties as much as the Gobi

How is there bread & cereal???[/QUOTE]

Your the second person that says the koshi is great...they had a huge booth at the 420 festival yesterday...high protein & Fiber...sweet!!!

tortillas are questionable...me being mexican I like to stay local and authentic...there's a fab tortillarilla in p-town that I buy those from but bread...I'll have to check out...is it grain and preservative free???

inutil
04-21-2008, 12:47 PM
never been...

MarkO
04-21-2008, 12:48 PM
I heart TJ's frozen oatmeal.

ThomThom
04-21-2008, 12:58 PM
I love TJ's Complete Instant Oatmeal with organic banana slices. Also, their Mocha Java roast is fantastic.

eNVyartist
04-21-2008, 12:58 PM
Damn good thread! I love TJ's I always pick up the dried friuts, almonds, frozen pierogies, spanikopita, chicken gyoza, frozen mandarin chicken (it's the only chinese I can get my picky-ass kids to eat!!), 2 buck chuck, I love the little artichokes they have, they are perfect sized for side dish, lemon pepper pasta, white cheddar popcorn, a variety of juices, and cheese. I think the only thing I've bought there I didn't like was this orange mango bbq glaze, it was fucking raunchy for sure!! Ruined the chicken!

ThomThom
04-21-2008, 01:05 PM
I thank the lord everyday for Natalie Portman, Radiohead, Coachella, Pau Gasol, and Trader Joe's.

amyzzz
04-21-2008, 01:08 PM
I don't have any TJ's near me. I think I've been there once with a friend 6 years ago. I have 3 Fresh & Easy's near me. I like their ready-made microwaveable meals because I can't cook.

NiceArthur32
04-21-2008, 02:14 PM
I thank the lord everyday for Natalie Portman, Radiohead, Coachella, Pau Gasol, and Trader Joe's.

AMEN TO THAT!

minus the radiohead part...

ThomThom
04-21-2008, 02:15 PM
AMEN TO THAT!

minus the radiohead part...

How rude. Who ever agreed to you being "nice" Arthur?

captncrzy
04-21-2008, 02:46 PM
Maybe "doucheyarthur" was taken.

ThomThom
04-21-2008, 02:48 PM
Maybe "doucheyarthur" was taken.

I'm not so sure about that... He does like snow balls and he likes to get crunk. Maybe Arthur is just "misunderstood".

NiceArthur32
04-21-2008, 03:06 PM
i'm just misunderstood...

http://pbskids.org/arthur/friends/images/rollovers/arthur_home.gif

fatbastard
04-21-2008, 03:21 PM
There's a Trader Joes less than a mile from the polo fields.

captncrzy
04-21-2008, 04:15 PM
There's a Trader Joes less than a mile from the polo fields.

yum I love their fresh food selection-I used to work across the street from one and I'd go over there all the time and get a sandwich or salad or something.

chiapet
04-21-2008, 05:43 PM
I love trader joes, and somehow despite being crowded all the time and having long lines, you never seem to wait in line that long and no one gets crabby. Why is that?

Anyway my fav things:
weekly/bi-weekly salad stuffs: pre-mixed field greens, heirloom tomatoes, shredded carrots, broccoli & cauliflower florets, cucumbers
dried blueberries & cherries
good cheeses!
guacamoles for the most part are good
pita crisps, especially the cinnamon sugar ones
gluten-free waffles (they're rice and are awesome)
Double Rainbow blueberry ice cream
Red Pepper-Tomato carton soup
Savory Thins (these are seriously the most addictive thing ever)

whynotsmile99
04-21-2008, 08:13 PM
i would advise everyone to stay away from the guacamole/salsa mix, with Albert Einstein on the cover.

not too god at all. Edible, but pretty damn bland

SubBass49
04-21-2008, 08:18 PM
I went there today and they were out of my favorite snack:

Thai Chili & Lime Peanuts with lemongrass.

I was seriously sad. Those things are the shiznit.

whynotsmile99
04-21-2008, 08:29 PM
I went there today and they were out of my favorite snack:

Thai Chili & Lime Peanuts with lemongrass.

I was seriously sad. Those things are the shiznit.

yes, i agree. those things are like crack. so, so so damn good

TheWatcher
04-21-2008, 08:54 PM
65% Cocoa Dark Chocolate
Blackberries, Raspberries, Strawberries
Organic onions
Greek Yogurt
Organic Herb Salad mix
Grilled southwestern veggies
Organic Hummus
Chimichuri rice (? not sure of spelling - peruvian rice)
Potato/veggie mix for stir-frying
Pumpkin seed granola
Almond meal
Raw Cashews
Honey
Guacamole / Salsa kits
Green tea mochi ice cream
Birds nests
Green chili & cheese tamales
Prepared salads (Goat's cheese / walnut / sun-dried tomatoes or the low-fat Greek Salads are the best)

The best thing about Trader Joe's is I can always find food there I can actually eat, and spend less than I would anywhere else.

The only bad thing is it's so crowded you have to be very coordinated to not run into anyone.

tubescape
04-22-2008, 11:03 AM
love the food, most of my favorites have already been mentioned. but they get a big thumbs down for their choice of locations and unaccomodating parking lots. in the places I have lived it has never ceased to amaze me at how they continue to act like some small, relatively unknown market. give me a break, the cat is out of the bag, TJ's is huge. I don't know how many times I have have pulled into the lots at the following locations and just given up and left without shopping b/c of lack of parking: Huntington Beach; all 3 locations in Santa Barbara/Goleta; and the one in San Francisco off of Masonic which typically has 15 cars lined up blocking a lane of traffic waiting for a spot in the lot. All that aside, I still like to shop there, but have resorted to walking and just purchasing less than I would like so I can make it home with just a bag in each hand.

tessalasset
04-22-2008, 11:24 AM
fuck trader joes. they stopped carrying the black bean chips which were the best chips in the world.

ThomThom
04-22-2008, 11:58 AM
fuck trader joes. they stopped carrying the black bean chips which were the best chips in the world.

Tessa,

I just bought a bag of those at the Studio City location like two weeks ago.

tessalasset
04-22-2008, 02:11 PM
what the fuck. i couldnt find them in the miracle mile location or the santa monica location and when i asked one of the managers he said they discontinued them. looks like im gonna have to make a trip out to studio city.

kitt kat
04-22-2008, 05:12 PM
oh man oh man oh mannnn

any trader joe's cereal...esp peanut butter puffins
boxed pad thai
vegan pea soup
multigrain sourdough
spicy hummus
tangerine juice
masala veggie burgers
GOAT CHEESE AND SPINACH PIZZA (ahhh soooo goooood)

J~$$$$
03-03-2010, 02:36 PM
china man sell you cheap organic.JQ31Ljd9T_Y&feature

Whole Foods Market responds to WJLA

This is a response to a news segment aired on WJLA (Washington, DC) on May 21, 2008.
I’m Joe Dickson, Organic Certification Coordinator for Whole Foods Market. I read WJLA’s news script with disbelief and disappointment, as it is totally misleading. To help clarify, I have taken the time to address the various claims made in the news segment to offer clarification and our point of view.

WJLA SCRIPT-

ANCHOR: TONIGHT – AN I-TEAM INVESTIGATION. WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT ORGANIC FOODS? IT’S PESTICIDE FREE AND MORE EXPENSIVE…BUT IT’S WORTH IT… RIGHT? NOT NECESSARILY. WOULD YOU BELIEVE *ORGANICALLY GROWN* IN CHINA? HOW ORGANIC CAN THAT BE? THE I-Team’s ROBERTA BASKIN HAS BEEN INVESTIGATING AND HAS QUESTIONS FOR ONE MAJOR FOOD CHAIN.
Organic products from China can absolutely be certified organic to the exact same standard as domestic products. While China has had a number of food quality issues in the news in the past year, it does not mean everything grown in the entire country is unsafe. Since 2002, the USDA’s National Organic Standards have governed exactly what can be sold as organic in the US – how it’s grown, processed and handled – regardless of where in the world it’s grown, INCLUDING China. Organic integrity is ensured every step of the way. For example, a broccoli grower in China must be visited and certified to the USDA organic standards by a certifying agent that is approved and supervised by the USDA. If that broccoli is processed in a packaging plant, that plant must also be visited and certified by a certifying agent, who verifies that the handling and ingredients of the product comply with the standard.
This structure is the backbone of organic integrity under the USDA organic standard – everyone who grows or handles organic food must be certified and audited by a USDA-accredited certifier. The USDA then provides audits and oversight of the certifiers to ensure that they are enforcing the standard and upholding organic integrity.

ROBERTA IN STUDIO: WHOLE FOODS… IT’S THE LEADING FOOD RETAILER SELLING THE IMAGE THAT LOCAL AND ORGANIC IS BETTER FOR THE ENVIRONMENT AND BETTER FOR YOU. BUT IS THAT …IN FACT…WHAT THE CUSTOMER IS GETTING?
IT SURELY IS! Whole Foods Market is a pioneer in promoting and selling natural and organic foods and we have done more in our history as a company to promote and build organics than any other retailer. We were the first national certified organic retailer under the USDA’s organic standards, a voluntary certification which we continue to undergo to ensure to our customers that what we’re selling as organic truly is. Even though retailers aren’t required to be certified, and very few are, we decided to allow California Certified Organic Farmers into our stores to verify that we purchase, handle and sell organic food in compliance with the standard. Read more about this program here: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/values/organic.php
This is not “selling an image;” this is actually making sure that every one of our 275 stores is operating in compliance with the National Organic Standards and upholding organic integrity in everything they do.

STORY: WITH 175 STORES… WHOLE FOODS IS THE UNDISPUTED LEADER IN ORGANIC FOODS AND PROMOTES “LOCALLY GROWN.” BUT THE I-TEAM HAS FOUND THAT MUCH OF WHOLE FOODS ORGANICS… ARE IMPORTED FROM CHINA.
Actually, we have 275 stores. Again, WJLA is misleading consumers. Of the thousands of private label products we offer, a very small percentage are from China. And even though it is not currently required, we label the country of origin on each of these products.

Shopper: “Honestly I never would have flipped it over to see that it was from China.”

SPINACH…. SUGAR SNAP PEAS… AND WOULD YOU BELIEVE CALIFORNIA BLEND VEGETABLES? ALL LISTED UNDER THE WHOLE FOODS BRAND “365 ORGANIC.” AND ON THE BACK IN SMALL PRINT… PRODUCT OF CHINA.
“California blend” is a very common term for a blend of broccoli, cauliflower and carrots. Many other frozen vegetable companies offer this blend of vegetables that are not literally grown in California.

ORGANIC ENSURES NO CHEMICAL PESTICIDES AND ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY CONDITIONS. BUT HOW DO WE EVEN KNOW THE FOOD IS ORGANIC? FOODS SOLD IN THIS COUNTRY MUST BE APPROVED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE BEFORE THEY CAN DISPLAY THE ORGANIC LABEL.

“The oversight that they have in China is not the same kind of supervision that we have in the United States.”
ANY product that is going to be sold as organic in the US must be certified by a USDA-accredited certifier, period. The Chinese government does not certify US-bound organic product in China; that certification is done by USDA-accredited certifiers who are themselves reviewed, approved and accredited directly by the USDA.

BUT THE USDA DOESN’T INSPECT IMPORTED FOODS. IT CERTIFIES PRIVATE INSPECTORS TO DO THE JOB. WHOLE FOODS EMPLOYS A COMPANY CALLED QUALITY ASSURANCE INTERNATIONAL. BUT THE COMPANY CONFIRMS “QAI HAS NOT CERTIFIED ANY PRODUCTS IN CHINA.” THEY RELY ON ANOTHER CERTIFIER ON THE FARM. YET THERE’S THE QAI CERTIFICATION SEAL… THE USDA SEAL…. AND PRODUCT OF CHINA…ALL ON THE SAME WHOLE FOODS PACKAGE.
QAI’s seal on our package means that our independent certifier, QAI, has confirmed that we have sourced it from a certified organic operation. QAI allows us to place their seal on our label to show that they have verified that the products have been certified.

Linda Greer: ”So you have to ask yourself the question, how would they ever know if the organic rules are being followed?”

LINDA GREER IS A SENIOR SCIENTIST AT THE NATURAL RESOURCES DEFENSE COUNCIL, AN ENVIRONMENTAL ADVOCACY GROUP. SHE’S BEEN TO FARMS IN CHINA.

Linda Greer: ”I wouldn’t buy something organic from China with the idea that it’s truly organic.”
We routinely visit farms supplying our products all over the world. Here are some standards we apply to the organic farms and facilities we work with in China:
√ Organic certification to the USDA organic standard by USDA-accredited certifiers
√ Food safety audits by accredited companies using internationally recognized standards
√ Targeted social accountability assessments using world class auditing agencies
√ Supplementary verification to validate the aspects above
√ Random testing of finished product for safety and organic integrity, including tests for environmental contaminants such as heavy metals and pesticides.

BASKIN: “Why not?”
LG: “The reason is we’ve had such a difficult time tracking things.”
Whole Foods Market has instituted the quality systems and safeguards above to make sure our organic private label products meet our own quality standards and the National Organic Standards as well.

THERE’S GROWING CONCERN ABOUT THE QUALITY OF FOOD FROM CHINA. ALREADY THIS YEAR THE FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION WHICH CHECKS FOR FOOD SAFETY STOPPED 260 SHIPMENTS OF FOODS LIKE STRAWBERRIES CONTAMINATED WITH BAD PESTICIDES, BACTERIA OR FILTH.

Linda Greer: “I think it’s probably not an accident that product of China is in such small type.”
It’s not currently required that we state the country of origin on packaging, but we feel it’s right to provide this information to our customers. We follow FDA guidelines regarding the print size, and this size is no different for China than any other country, including the USA.

THE I-TEAM OBTAINED THIS INTERNAL COMPANY DOCUMENT FROM WHOLE FOODS LISTING THE COUNTRY OF ORIGIN FOR HUNDREDS OF ITS PRODUCTS…DOZENS OF ORGANICS….MANY FROM CHINA…EVERYTHING FROM ASPARAGUS SPEARS TO PINE NUTS TO CREAMY PEANUT BUTTER. WHOLE FOODS WOULDN’T ALLOW OUR CAMERAS IN ITS STORE, SO WE BOUGHT THE PRODUCTS AND STEPPED OUTSIDE TO SHOW SHOPPERS.
This is a document, which contains a representative sample of our private label products, is intended to help educate the team members in our stores about where our products come from.
We are not keeping secrets here. We print the country of origin right on our product packaging! We choose to supply this information because we have faith in the quality of our products.

Mom: “It’s definitely misleading. If they were proud of it being from China, they would be, it would be prominently displayed on the front. I’m sure.”

SHOPPERS WE TALKED TO WERE MOST SURPRISED BY WHOLE FOODS ORGANIC CALIFORNIA BLEND OF CAULIFLOWER, CARROTS, AND BROCCOLI.

“If they’re going to put into bold “California” on the label, they shouldn’t put China in fine print on the back.”
Again, “California blend” is a common term for a blend of broccoli, cauliflower and carrots and this blend is produced by many frozen vegetable producers that use vegetables not literally grown in California. We do find that this is legitimate feedback, and we are looking at ways of making this clearer to our customers.

WE ALSO WENT TO THE FRESHFARM MARKETS AT DUPONT CIRCLE… WHERE PEOPLE TAKE THEIR ORGANIC FOOD VERY SERIOUSLY.

Zachariah “Oh, but it’s from China, what a travesty.”

“Product of China! Whoa, look at that!”

BERNADINE PRINCE, FOUNDER OF THIS MARKET SAYS WHOLE FOODS SHOPPERS SHOULD BE ASKING QUESTIONS.

Prince: “The first thing I would do is say, ‘Okay Whole Foods, is this really organic?” ”How do you know it’s organic? Because I don’t know.”
As we described above, we go above and beyond the USDA’s already strong requirements to make sure that the products we sell from all countries are truly organic.

LINDA GREER SAYS PEOPLE SHOULD BE ASKING THE GOVERNMENT QUESTIONS.

Linda Greer: “Consumers are probably blissfully unaware that the government is not protecting them.”
The government has a strong standard for the production of organic food. Prior to 2002, there was no federal definition of organic. Along with many other pioneers, we fought hard to make sure that the government created a strong definition of organic, which became a reality through the Organic Foods Production Act of 1990, which directed the USDA to create the National Organic Standards. They created these standards with the guidance and direction of the National Organic Standards Board (NOSB), a citizen advisory board made up of growers, ranchers, environmentalists, certifiers and other organic stakeholders. This board continues to closely monitor the organic standards and ensure that it meets customers expectations. Since 2002, for the first time in history, consumers know that food sold as organic in the US meets a strict definition, no matter where it’s grown. The USDA oversees 90+ accredited certifiers with regular audits and supervision, and investigates any public complaints of violations of the standards. Leaders from Whole Foods Market take a very active role in the standard, attending NOSB meetings and taking a vocal role in ensuring a strong organic standard. We’ve fought for a meaningful definition of “organic” for 28 years, and intend to keep doing so. Our customers have come to trust us in guaranteeing the quality, safety and integrity of all our products, and this trust is something we take very seriously.

I posted in here cause I hear joes does the same thing