PDA

View Full Version : The Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion thread...ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

Pages : [1] 2

bballarl
07-14-2007, 02:46 PM
Let us theorize, then eventually discuss, criticize, and possibly rejoice.

SojuGorae
07-14-2007, 02:59 PM
I tuned out after the 1st Potter movie. I hear Harry's EMO now and wants to have sex with Ron.

sonofhal
07-14-2007, 03:01 PM
I hear Harry's EMO now .

I think you are getting him mixed up with Spiderman

TomAz
07-14-2007, 03:11 PM
Snape dies.

full on idle
07-14-2007, 03:17 PM
Do you feel proud now?

rage patton
07-14-2007, 03:36 PM
My gueses as to which characters die

Snape
Sirius Black
Harry Potter

miscorrections
07-14-2007, 03:45 PM
sirius is already dead. get with the times.

and snape will totally die. harry will not. and the locket horcrux was the locket that none of them could open, briefly mentioned in the 5th book (during the housecleaning at grimmauld place).

rage patton
07-14-2007, 03:47 PM
Oh, did Sirius die? I havent seen the 5th movie yet, and I havent read the 6th book.

I still guess Snape and Harry will die.

miscorrections
07-14-2007, 03:53 PM
er, have you read the 5th book? because he's quite dead by the end of it.

and i repeat, unless rowling changed her mind (which is i guess possible) from previous statements, neither ron, hermione, nor harry will die. snape is such a given though. 10 to 1 says he dies to save or protect harry in some way 'cause he's just like that.

and has anyone thought about how significant kreacher is? i think he helped regulus black get the original locket horcrux because that operation clearly required two people.

rage patton
07-14-2007, 04:02 PM
No, I havent read the 5th book. He dies in the 5th? Booooo. That sucks. He was badass.

woogie846
07-14-2007, 04:03 PM
Snape will die. Harry will go on to be a professor and live forever as Rowling's bank account will continue to grow forever as she releases about 25 more books and movies. Harry Potter will be the magical slightly fruity version of James Bond.

SheriNOIR
07-14-2007, 04:05 PM
I'll wait for the dvd..

SheriNOIR
07-14-2007, 04:06 PM
on another note, harry should die.
He'd be fuck all without that smart girl.

Just like Lord of the Rings, that sucker wouldn't have lasted two minutes without the fellowship..

miscorrections
07-14-2007, 04:13 PM
rowling says this will be the last one, but who knows. i sincerely hope she'll stop writing after this because nothing else could be quite as major.

and to all of you who just watch the movies instead of reading the books, stop being lazy fuckers and give yourselves a treat. the books >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the movies.

SheriNOIR
07-14-2007, 04:18 PM
Not a fantasy book person.. Read the first potter though. Maybe get around to reading the rest one day..

And Rowling will need more money soon enough and write a spin-off.. :)

bballarl
07-14-2007, 04:27 PM
Corinna, explain the Horcruxes again. I had forgotten about them.

bballarl
07-14-2007, 04:36 PM
Also, Ginny will probably die, prompting Harry to take names and kick ass. Or Hagrid. Or one of the Weasley parents.

miscorrections
07-14-2007, 04:52 PM
well, she said two major characters will die. i'm guessing that will be snape and the other logical choice would be voldemort because of the prophecy that neither harry nor voldemort can live while the other survives. HOWEVER, i would also not be surprised if voldemort didn't die but was somehow reduced to nothing, because dumbledore specifically tells him that his [voldemort's] greatest weakness is failing to understand that there are things worse than death.
so if voldemort isn't the second main character to die, i have no idea who will be. i'd say ginny but she was already victimized in the chamber of secrets, and i think hagrid would be too hard to kill because he's half-giant.

ok, so about horcruxes. they're the objects in which voldemort keeps the fragments of his soul (fragmented because he killed people). his soul is most likely in 7 parts, one of the parts being in his body. part #2 was in the diary harry destroyed in the chamber of secrets. part #3 was in the ring with the peverell coat of arms on it that tom riddle (the boy voldemort) took from the gaunts before killing his dad. dumbledore recovered the ring and destroyed the bit of soul that it encased, so that one is out of the way already. part #4 is in the slytherin locket that i believe is at grimmauld place, because the one they found in the cave was a fake. part #s 5-7 are guesses: his snake Nagini, helga hufflepuff's cup that he stole from hepzibah smith after murdering her, and some relict of rowena ravenclaw's or godric gryffindor's. the idea of using relicts from the hogwarts founders as horcruxes (the locket, the cup, and something of ravenclaw or gryffindor's) of course explains why the book is titled "the deathly hallows".

there, i think that was fairly exhaustive.

thefunkylama
07-14-2007, 04:53 PM
My feeling is that Hagrid bites it. Snape, too. One of the Weasley parents will almost die (again). I don't think Ginny dies, she probably comes in and saves Harry at some point so he can continue on and defeat voldemort. I definitely think the locket from Book 5 is the horcrux.

miscorrections
07-14-2007, 04:56 PM
ginny is quite a powerful witch so i'm going to guess she's got a major role.

why do you all think hagrid dies? i just can't see that, after sirius and dumbledore. i think she'd want to leave at least one harry-friendly authority figure besides lupin.

miscorrections
07-14-2007, 04:58 PM
also alma, do you buy the theory that kreacher helped regulus get the locket horcrux? because i do.

Alchemy
07-14-2007, 04:59 PM
I heard speculation that Harry is another one of the horcrux.

Mr.Nipples
07-14-2007, 05:00 PM
I tuned out after the 1st Potter movie. I hear Harry's EMO now and wants to have sex with Ron.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t39/RetardoTronFiveThousand/harrypotterisgay.jpg

thefunkylama
07-14-2007, 05:16 PM
Well, maybe not dead, because you bring up a good point about his being half-giant. I feel that Hagrid would try to protect someone/thing (most likely harry) and become either dead or incapacitated. And anyway, Prof. McGonagall has always been Harry-friendly.

And then, if it's not Hagrid, no one has speculated that Aunt Petunia's secret might entail her getting herself in the wrong place at the wrong time. Kind of far-fetched, and I don't know that the Dursleys qualify as major characters, either.

thefunkylama
07-14-2007, 05:18 PM
Also, I had never heard that theory until just now, but it makes sense. If Regulus forced the potion on Kreacher, it'd half-explain why he's so daft.

captncrzy
07-14-2007, 05:19 PM
My kid is going up to Borders the night of the 20th with her friend and parents so she can buy the book at midnight. She has all the books but I kinda tuned out after the third; maybe I'll read them all again so I can know what a horcrux is.

thefunkylama
07-14-2007, 05:21 PM
It's the wizarding world's word for "crack pipe."

You wouldn't believe the turn the books have taken.

miscorrections
07-14-2007, 05:36 PM
true that. hermione's taken to turning tricks to buy spellbooks.

nipples, i really don't think harry is a horcrux for the following reasons: 1) Dumbledore thinks there are seven, so that means there are 7 and the 7 are pretty much laid out already; 2) Voldemort tried to kill Harry, and it's doubtful that you'd turn someone into a horcrux before killing them; 3) that's pretty much the only time Voldemort ever had access to Harry in order to turn him into a horcrux. he was formless until right before the fourth book, and he didn't get to Harry until the very end of the book and definitely did not horcrux it up then. nor did he do it at the Ministry of Magic, and he didn't show up at all in the sixth book. so i think it's quite unlikely.

has anyone speculated on aunt petunia's secret? she's not a squib, although rowling said "that's a very good guess".
also has anyone figured out why the "gleam of triumph" in dumbledore's eye in the 4th book is so noteworthy, or what was the very important thing we found out about lily evans in the fifth book?

miscorrections
07-14-2007, 05:40 PM
also who is the unlikely candidate that ends up becoming a hogwarts teacher? neville for herbology, or something? (i guess that would mean professor sprout dies, but who cares.)

edit: who all is going to the midnight release? i have my copy pre-ordered and i'm all ready to dress up and be dorky.

atom heart
07-14-2007, 06:30 PM
There is no way Hogwarts will be open. No way.

I thought that Harry became a horcrux when Voldey tried to kill him the first time (and transferred a bit of his power into him).

My theory is that the only reason Harry has powers at all (and he doesn't seem to be terribly talented... without Hermione he'd be totally toast as stated earlier) is because of what happened when Voldemort tried to kill him. Therefore in destroying Voldemort Harry destroys his own powers. He lives, but he has to live as a squib. That, I think, would be worse than death.

There should probably be a formal death poll.

MEGADETHPOLL

miscorrections
07-14-2007, 06:34 PM
hogwarts will have to open at some point because she expressly states someone comes back as a teacher. if it was closed forever that wouldn't happen.

and i can't see harry being a horcrux for one more good reason. when voldemort possesses harry at the ministry of magic, he tells dumbledore to kill him [harry]. 7 horcruxes he may have made, but it is highly unlikely that he would be so cavalier about them as to volunteer to have them destroyed.

thefunkylama
07-14-2007, 06:34 PM
It comes out while I'm in Louisiana. I've never gone at midnight before, either. But, you know. I've never completely crossed it off my list.

Edit: also, I've got to step up on the reply speed.

atom heart
07-14-2007, 06:35 PM
I don't think Voldey knows what he did.

Alchemy
07-14-2007, 06:36 PM
Harry losing his powers would be tragic. Too tragic, I think. Although I am pretty sure it is not just going to be some simple face off where Harry or Voldemort die. There must be some insane twist at the end. Although, I am pretty sure Voldemort will die. Finally being destroyed for good. I also don't think she will continue Harry Potter after this. Who knows if she will even write after this, haha, she doesn't need to anyways. It would be cool if she wrote other books that took place in this wizardry world, but about totally different things (and not spin off books, just new stories about other people facing different events).

miscorrections
07-14-2007, 06:53 PM
I don't think Voldey knows what he did.

ok, but then there are still problems. remember in the prophecy where it says "neither can live while the other survives"? that means that both simply can't be alive. one or both has to be dead.
if both, you could assume that harry will destroy himself and then get someone else to finish off voldemort. however this is impossible because the prophecy refers to one person with the power to kill voldemort - and since voldemort chose harry to be the one referenced, harry it is. if harry kills himself then no one can kill voldemort and the prophecy and basically the whole order of the phoenix book are a joke.
if only one dies: that can't happen. if harry was a horcrux and didn't know it and tried to kill voldemort, he wouldn't die. and if voldemort killed harry, you'd have the same conundrum with no one else being able to kill voldemort. which i guess is possible but i refuse to believe rowling would both kill harry and let voldemort go off on his merry way. one or the other, maybe, not both.

also what it basically boils down to is believing dumbledore's analysis or not. i do, so i think harry is not a horcrux.

PotVsKtl
07-14-2007, 06:57 PM
Seriously? This is a topic of conversation?

miscorrections
07-14-2007, 07:10 PM
seriously. harry potter inspires a fervor in some of us.

i don't feel bad about it though, because for me it's an era-defining series. it came out when i was in 7th grade and now the last one is coming out my third year of college - that represents a lot of time and basically all of my formative years.

atom heart
07-14-2007, 07:12 PM
Shh. Go bother Tessa about LOST.

Which reminds me, I watched the Forbidden Planet today and now I'm more certain that LOST is more like the Forbidden Planet than anything else.

atom heart
07-14-2007, 07:14 PM
seriously. harry potter inspires a fervor in some of us.

i don't feel bad about it though, because for me it's an era-defining series. it came out when i was in 7th grade and now the last one is coming out my third year of college - that represents a lot of time and basically all of my formative years.

Yeah I've basically been the same age as Harry for a lot of the books.

miscorrections
07-14-2007, 07:15 PM
oops, it came out in the US when i was in 6th grade. but i didn't read it until 7th grade so there you go. and when i did i was 11, same age as harry.

of course now i'm older than the characters but it was still a nice little connection.

woogie846
07-14-2007, 10:17 PM
If Hagrid dies, I will cry.

miscorrections
07-14-2007, 10:22 PM
me too. i will shed a bitter tear partly because that would just suck and partly because that would make me wrong.

embarrassing fact: i got rather emotional when both sirius and dumbledore died.

TomAz
07-14-2007, 10:25 PM
on another note, harry should die.
He'd be fuck all without that smart girl.

Just like Lord of the Rings, that sucker wouldn't have lasted two minutes without the fellowship..

right. that's sort of the point...

rowling says this will be the last one, but who knows. i sincerely hope she'll stop writing after this because nothing else could be quite as major.

and to all of you who just watch the movies instead of reading the books, stop being lazy fuckers and give yourselves a treat. the books >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the movies.

Count me as a lazy fucker. saw movie 5 tonight, enjoyed it. I don't understand why Voldemort doesn't have a nose though. I mean the guy can summon the powers of hell but can't afford reconstructive plastic surgery?

miscorrections
07-14-2007, 10:28 PM
didn't you know that the mark of extreme evil is the lack of a nose? god, tom. get yourself together.

SojuGorae
07-14-2007, 10:33 PM
So the king of pop is evil?

But he sang 'Black or White' and 'Heal The World'

-eGapuYUTOo

68J5eDpLFfk

miscorrections
07-14-2007, 10:34 PM
ten to one says michael jackson shows up as voldemort's right-hand man in this one.

sonofhal
07-14-2007, 11:27 PM
That 8 hour time difference is gonna come in handy.

My Midnight > Your Midnight

I'll try not to spoil it for you!

dorkfish
07-15-2007, 01:56 AM
I heard that just before the end, Harry goes ahead and orders a plate of onion rings for the table--best in the state.

thefunkylama
07-15-2007, 07:23 AM
Tom. Voldemort is becoming a snake-like creature, mainly because his soul is so fragmented.

miscorrections
07-15-2007, 11:43 AM
That 8 hour time difference is gonna come in handy.

My Midnight > Your Midnight

I'll try not to spoil it for you!

it won't matter because all the in-store festivities start before you'd be done with the book. and once i get it i'm not putting it down until i'm done.
i figure that at 784 pages i can be done in 5-6 hours. probably closer to 5 because it'll be such a quick read.

thefunkylama
07-15-2007, 12:04 PM
I have always read the books from start to finish within 3 days of purchase, and in under 8 hours on a weekend.

miscorrections
07-15-2007, 12:44 PM
yeah, they've never taken me too long. i'm a fast reader normally but when it's a book with a lot of dialogue and action and when i'm dying to know how it ends i read crazy fast. if i am extremely motivated i could probably finish this one in 4.5 hours or so.

sonofhal
07-15-2007, 12:51 PM
I have next weekend off work, so i imagine i'll have read it by Saturday afternoon.

Alchemy
07-15-2007, 12:52 PM
A friend at Costco reserved the book for me. Score! I'm nervous about the dying people. I don't think Harry will die. I don't see how that could happen without it being lame.

woogie846
07-15-2007, 01:15 PM
Harry kind of looks like Voldemort in some shots of the movie...

TomAz
07-15-2007, 01:16 PM
Tom. Voldemort is becoming a snake-like creature, mainly because his soul is so fragmented.

then it seems he ought to be missing arms and legs, not just a nose.

thefunkylama
07-15-2007, 01:17 PM
Well but he's in a human body. And so that means that you just suspend your belief for a minute, buddy, and deal.

miscorrections
07-15-2007, 01:18 PM
I have next weekend off work, so i imagine i'll have read it by Saturday afternoon.

i'll be done by saturday morning, the exact time depending of course on when i get back from the book release. i 'spect i'll be back around 1:30 at the latest, meaning i'll probably be done by 7 am. then i'll sleep until 2 pm or so and go to work at 5.

TomAz
07-15-2007, 01:19 PM
You mean it's not all real??

miscorrections
07-15-2007, 01:20 PM
anyone have theories on which non-magical character performs magic in desperate circumstances? or how the two-way mirror crops up again? or what there will be about time travel? (it's probably in there because she was evasive during interviews.)

edit: also she said there was a reason sirius had to die. any thoughts on why?

suprefan
07-15-2007, 01:55 PM
Do not watch the vid if you dont want a spoiler.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED
is1Kalt-wkU

miscorrections
07-15-2007, 01:57 PM
damnit supre, don't post spoilers in here at all. discussion of theories or ideas is quite welcome but no spoilers, disclaimer or no.

suprefan
07-15-2007, 02:19 PM
It does say ENTER AT OWN RISK.

fober
07-15-2007, 02:31 PM
Snake kills dumb whore.

miscorrections
07-15-2007, 02:38 PM
yeah but posting something even with disclaimers will invite other assholes in here to repost without disclaimers. i am adamant on this front.

Alchemy
07-15-2007, 02:40 PM
I'm not even going to come into this thread anymore.

suprefan
07-15-2007, 02:57 PM
yeah but posting something even with disclaimers will invite other assholes in here to repost without disclaimers. i am adamant on this front.

Sorry to spoil your reading experience so much and the insane theory discussion. Wanna duel to sttle this? Or maybe a Quidditch Match? I pick Krum.

miscorrections
07-15-2007, 03:40 PM
go right ahead, ireland beat bulgaria despite krum.

bballarl
07-16-2007, 11:32 PM
After reading this thread, it is official that Corinna is the biggest Harry Potter dork ever.

suprefan
07-17-2007, 12:00 AM
The book leaked.

B pg. 12
H pg. 56
M pg. 78
S pg. 159
W pg. 471
D pg. 476
S pg. 658
F pg. 637
H pg. 724
H pg. 743

R...
H.....
D......

The epilogue shows .....

The final lines of the book are: "...."

"NOT MY DAUGHTER YOU BITCH!"

P. 736

have fun.

rage patton
07-17-2007, 02:05 AM
Really Supre? You think that Character dies?
That seems kinds of unneccessary.
I still think Harry will die. J.K. Rowling would be smart if she killed off Harry. That means no more temptation of writing another book. It also means movie producers can't make another movie after 7.

miscorrections
07-17-2007, 10:15 AM
After reading this thread, it is official that Corinna is the biggest Harry Potter dork ever.

it's quite true, i have no life.

when the 4th movie came out ucsd sponsored a trivia game where the prize was tickets to the advance screening of the movie like a week before it came out. needless to say, i won.

bballarl
07-17-2007, 10:17 AM
Did you crush the competitors? What was the final question?

Good Days Last
07-17-2007, 10:42 AM
Has anyone else gotten their hands on a bootleg copy of #7?

J~$$$
07-17-2007, 10:50 AM
http://distortedillusionzcustomz.com/spoilers2.JPG

spoilers from digg lol.

seansdadj
07-17-2007, 11:23 AM
Im excited to see the movie, I have yet to go see it!

amyzzz
07-17-2007, 11:53 AM
I hope Hagrid dies. He's fucking dangerous and always has been. I doubt he will though.

Also, Voldemort was cavalier with the the diary (in book 2) by just leaving it with Lucius with no details, so why not tell Dumbledore to kill Harry (as horcrux) in book 5? I don't know if I believe Harry is a horcrux, but I thought I'd point that out. Voldemort is supposed to have 7 horcruxes (horcruxi?) after all.

PotVsKtl
07-17-2007, 12:01 PM
There's a character named Luscious? I've got to get on this hype-train.

thefunkylama
07-17-2007, 12:10 PM
No, he'd only have 6 horcruxes. His soul is split into 7 pieces, but one portion has to remain in his body.

amyzzz
07-17-2007, 12:25 PM
7 total including his body though. my god.

J~$$$
07-17-2007, 12:30 PM
I really enjoy a good mmorpg where you can gain experience points by neglecting ur babiez.

rage patton
07-17-2007, 12:36 PM
Harry Potter.

Its serious business.

thefunkylama
07-17-2007, 12:43 PM
wellhisbodydoesn'tcountasahorcruxbecauseahorcruxis thenameforanobjectusedasacontainerforthesoulapartf romthebodysodon'tyoumygodme.

amyzzz
07-17-2007, 01:03 PM
Book 6 made me cry. Again.

(I'm almost finished re-reading it)

suprefan
07-17-2007, 04:32 PM
Oooops

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h131/tennissmash90/bookboxesvert2.jpg

J~$$$
07-17-2007, 04:36 PM
god bless the libary.

bballarl
07-19-2007, 09:09 AM
I want a return appearance from Viktor Krum.

miscorrections
07-19-2007, 09:12 AM
i think she said we see him again. hooray!

and i can't remember the last question in the trivia thing. i think it was a finish the sentence type of thing, which, sadly enough, i can do. if someone opens any of the books to a random page, starts a sentence, and asks me to supply the missing words, i can usually do it with no trouble.

bug on your lip
07-19-2007, 09:27 AM
There's a character named Luscious? I've got to get on this hype-train.

YES !

hahaahhahaa

bballarl
07-19-2007, 09:34 AM
How long is this book supposed to be?

bmack86
07-19-2007, 11:10 AM
I work at a Borders and we had to sign contracts saying we wouldn't open, touch or look at the book before the 21st at midnight, when we start selling the motha

amyzzz
07-19-2007, 11:14 AM
For Harry Potter I would break that muthafuckin contract if I were you.

bmack86
07-19-2007, 11:19 AM
To be honest, I'm so sick of hearing about Harry Potter at this point. I really like the books, but that is the only word anyone utters when they come into the store. I really want people to talk about something else. Anything. But, I am working our event for it, so I'll get to see all the people dressed to the nines. It should be interesting.

ewiggy
07-19-2007, 11:25 AM
gawker:

We Have The New 'Harry Potter' And This Is How It Ends (http://gawker.com/news/biggest-spoiler-ever/we-have-the-new-harry-potter-and-this-is-how-it-ends-280299.php)

amyzzz
07-19-2007, 12:15 PM
My mom dressed like Professor Quirrell for one of those book release parties, either for Book 5 or Book 6. She's recovering from knee surgery this weekend though.

Brittmeiser
07-19-2007, 12:19 PM
How long is this book supposed to be?

789 pages American version, I think.

suprefan
07-19-2007, 05:20 PM
For Harry Potter I would break that muthafuckin contract if I were you.

Amy check your PM's. (http://www.mediafire.com/?dmr0eoj3biz)

atom heart
07-19-2007, 06:41 PM
789. Damn. If I were Mr. Nipples that fat woman would be staring you down right now.

suprefan
07-20-2007, 12:44 AM
Well I now know what happens at the end. Look around in the thread, the answer is there.

Good Days Last
07-20-2007, 12:49 AM
Just finished reading the thing.

Crazy book.

Hate the hype about it. I mean, it's just a book.

bballarl
07-20-2007, 08:57 AM
I ended up reading all of Book 6 last night. So now I am prepared for this evening.

amyzzz
07-20-2007, 09:09 AM
argh.

miscorrections
07-20-2007, 11:26 AM
I am prepared like you wouldn't believe. I can't wait.

J~$$$
07-20-2007, 11:28 AM
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c193/mmmmdoughnuts/tierneygearon.jpg

suprefan
07-20-2007, 11:45 AM
Amy I sent you a pm dont know why you didnt bother with it.

TomAz
07-20-2007, 12:03 PM
argh.

http://www.perpetualocean.com/tetherdcow/cowimage/pyrategirl.jpg

amyzzz
07-20-2007, 12:11 PM
I got your PM, supre, but I don't know if I can read it like that. I'm at work now, I will be on the road tonight, and I will be on the road tomorrow. I don't have a laptop.

suprefan
07-20-2007, 12:44 PM
Aaaah ok, yeah well its something at least. Guess you gotta buy your copy here tomorrow. I say you can finish it before doors open for the show.

amyzzz
07-20-2007, 01:21 PM
Supre, I appreciate the gesture. Thanks. I might try buying my copy before I leave tomorrow.

suprefan
07-20-2007, 01:26 PM
Yeah, that should be fun, teenage kids mixed with insane parents who ditched work to wait in line all night, who would do such things? I know Harry Potter fans!! I was reading one article in the paper and this mom was going to buy a copy for each member of her family. She has 4 kids, so 6 copies, yeeesh. Quote: "There will be ABSOLUTELY no sharing"

amyzzz
07-20-2007, 01:39 PM
I definitely need my sleep tonight. No Harry Potter party for me.

rage patton
07-20-2007, 02:18 PM
I love this board so much.
Its the ONLY place in the entire world where something else is BIGGER news than Harry Potter.

ewiggy
07-20-2007, 02:30 PM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1195/860610453_6862a13ea8_o.jpg

lol.

amyzzz
07-20-2007, 02:54 PM
Sounds like the Hi Chris! thread for me.

J~$$$
07-20-2007, 04:21 PM
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c193/mmmmdoughnuts/spoiler.jpg

sonofhal
07-20-2007, 04:29 PM
Just got back from buying my copy. Price war here meant it was only 5.

miscorrections
07-20-2007, 06:47 PM
when i dress up for the release tonight should i be harry or hermione? one entails glasses and drawing a scar on my head which would be super fun. one entails a skirt and knee socks.

SojuGorae
07-20-2007, 07:15 PM
when i dress up for the release tonight should i be harry or hermione? one entails glasses and drawing a scar on my head which would be super fun. one entails a skirt and knee socks.

Rachel Dratch is the only woman who can rock the Harry Potter.

http://www.wizardnews.com/stories/images/snl1.jpg

bballarl
07-20-2007, 07:19 PM
Everyone will be Harry and Hermione. Be Dobby. Wear a potato sack.

Okay, last minute theorizing:

R.A.B. is obviously Romulus Black or whatever. I knew that from the end of the last book (and I think we discussed it on the old board). So that's one Horcrux in the bag. Boom.

I think Snape is still on the "good" side. When Harry was yelling at him that he was a coward and Snape was getting pissed, I think that it was indicative of the fact that Snape is doing the most difficult thing of all, didn't want to kill Dumbledore, is stuck in the Unbreakable Vow, etc. I don't think he was getting upset because he is a coward...I think it was because of the opposite.

Last minute predictions:

Harry kills Voldemort.

Snape dies.

Some other people die.

Neville kills Bellatrix Lestrange.

Neville eats Bellatrix's corpse.

There will not be much in the way of Quidditch.

Okay, midnight here we come. I will be giving a play-by-play as I read through the night. Because I am that cool.

miscorrections
07-20-2007, 07:23 PM
i'll give an update maybe from the store. if not, i'll post pictures and thoughts tomorrow because i'll be done with it all tonight.

andrew, i would be someone else but i have a gryffindor robe that i got for halloween a couple of years ago.

SojuGorae
07-20-2007, 07:26 PM
TdUpjv3uhHg

bballarl
07-20-2007, 07:32 PM
i'll give an update maybe from the store. if not, i'll post pictures and thoughts tomorrow because i'll be done with it all tonight.

andrew, i would be someone else but i have a gryffindor robe that i got for halloween a couple of years ago.

In that case, be Harry, because cross-dressing is very rock n' roll.

miscorrections
07-20-2007, 07:34 PM
you're right. i'll be rock god harry.

rage patton
07-20-2007, 11:09 PM
Its officialy out...
So... who dies?

rage patton
07-20-2007, 11:15 PM
TdUpjv3uhHg

I LOVE that SNL skit.

It was back when Lindsay Lohan was attractive... and not an anorexic, alchoholic, crack addict.

Good Days Last
07-20-2007, 11:24 PM
Hedwig dies.

miscorrections
07-20-2007, 11:25 PM
I'm in line right now as I type.

bballarl
07-20-2007, 11:29 PM
I have my book in hand, and started reading at 12:26. Here we go.

woogie846
07-20-2007, 11:36 PM
I was at Hair Spray when Harry Potter fever ensued at Barnes and Noble. Everyone was dressed up, in line with wristbands, and all the employees handed out wands, glasses, and drew lightning bolts on everyone's heads. It was pretty crazy.

Good Days Last
07-20-2007, 11:37 PM
Hedwig dies... books over.

bballarl
07-21-2007, 12:28 AM
114 pages in. Good thus far.

PotVsKtl
07-21-2007, 12:33 AM

bballarl
07-21-2007, 01:22 AM
225. Getting better.

bmack86
07-21-2007, 02:13 AM
So, i just got back from the store. Fuck Harry Potter fans. Jesus christ, these guys are total bitches. They were yelling at me because they came too late to get a good spot in line. How stupid can you be. I'm gonna go read.

bballarl
07-21-2007, 02:30 AM
388. This is taking awhile.

bballarl
07-21-2007, 03:51 AM
554. I am really tired.

bballarl
07-21-2007, 04:39 AM
637. Intense.

bballarl
07-21-2007, 04:42 AM
661. Getting more intense.

SojuGorae
07-21-2007, 05:03 AM
600 pages? What the fuck? Are all potter books that long?

I'm just gonna wait for the movie.

bballarl
07-21-2007, 10:24 AM
I finished at 6:30 in the morning. It was brilliant mostly.

bmack86
07-21-2007, 10:34 AM
Dammit Andrew, you need a hobby.

sonofhal
07-21-2007, 11:44 AM
US version must be in a different font, as mine was only 607 pages long.

miscorrections
07-21-2007, 12:02 PM
i finished at 6 am, started at 1 am. there were some surprises, and in one notable case i was wrong.

also some of the deaths greatly saddened me.

go mrs. weasley, though.

bballarl
07-21-2007, 12:37 PM
And Rowling left it the tiniest bit open at the end. I don't think she can stop with this. This is her LOTR. LOTR was Tolkien. Harry Potter is her.

And some of the deaths were quite sad. I was bummed by three in particular. Four, maybe.

rage patton
07-21-2007, 12:48 PM
Did Harry Potter die?

miscorrections
07-21-2007, 02:48 PM
And some of the deaths were quite sad. I was bummed by three in particular. Four, maybe.

six were upsetting to me.

and rage, it would be very rude to publicly answer the question if anyone who hasn't finished the book comes in here and sees.

miscorrections
07-21-2007, 02:49 PM
oh also i wasn't wild about the epilogue, i thought it would have been better without it.

i've already started reading it a second time to pick up any details i might have missed whilst reading in the wee hours of the morning.

rage patton
07-21-2007, 02:50 PM
Woh, there were six deaths in the book?
Thats pretty brutal and possibly traumatic for a kids book, dont ya think?

miscorrections
07-21-2007, 02:55 PM
there were more than six. six were just particularly unhappy for me.

it stopped being a kid's series a while ago. she wrote for her original audience and as they grew the books got darker and less childish.

PotVsKtl
07-21-2007, 04:14 PM
No, it's still a kid's book.

TomAz
07-21-2007, 08:39 PM
thus spake zarathustra

bballarl
07-21-2007, 10:54 PM
It is killing me not to be able to discuss this book.

Good Days Last
07-21-2007, 11:07 PM
I can discuss. I've read it.

bballarl
07-21-2007, 11:09 PM
But we can't really in here till more than me, you and Corinna have read it. We have to at least give a 2-3 day courtesy period. After that I'd say it's fair game.

sonofhal
07-21-2007, 11:34 PM
Why not just start a new thread for those of us who have finished it?

bballarl
07-21-2007, 11:35 PM
I'll catch flack for that. You can do it though.

Good Days Last
07-21-2007, 11:40 PM
Well... it says enter at your own risk. But I'll wait.

bballarl
07-22-2007, 12:10 AM
Yeah, I started the thread with the idea of using it for discussion. But I would just feel bad if I ruined it for someone.

miscorrections
07-22-2007, 11:40 AM
me too. plus the discussion will be better the more people are involved.

vinylmartyr
07-22-2007, 03:21 PM
who died?

C DUB YA
07-22-2007, 03:34 PM

the movies are very good

and that doesn't mean I'm lazy if that kind of book isn't my cup of tea.

Deviate_420
07-22-2007, 03:39 PM
The Bible> Harry Potter books......

menikmati
07-22-2007, 04:02 PM
Harry Potter books > Depeche Mode

Deviate_420
07-22-2007, 04:15 PM
Harry Potter> George Bush.

And not my much either....

miscorrections
07-22-2007, 05:29 PM
i finished it today for the second time to pick up the little things i missed on the first go-around.

i think i'm going to have to start again from book 1 and read my way through all of them sequentially just to tie things up properly.

Alchemy
07-22-2007, 06:43 PM
I just finished it. Woo!

McAwesome
07-22-2007, 09:44 PM
I'm finished!!

miscorrections
07-22-2007, 09:59 PM
soon we'll have a quorum! and then we can discuss.

PassiveTheory
07-22-2007, 11:00 PM
A lot of it seemed like she was just trying to tie things in together to make random shit from the previous books relevant...

I felt that, specifically, 1 of the Horcruxes was rushed and not explained properly, and again Rowling has issues with describing shit... Especially during the chaotic-as-fuck action scenes...

Otherwise... It's indescribable how I feel... I feel like a life-long odyssey has come full-circle, and I'm pleased with the story... Very sad at some of the deaths (there were 3 that were unnecessary as fuck, and I mean as fuck, but... *sigh*). I liked how Neville was used, for once, heh.

bballarl
07-23-2007, 12:53 AM
i finished it today for the second time to pick up the little things i missed on the first go-around.

i think i'm going to have to start again from book 1 and read my way through all of them sequentially just to tie things up properly.

Obsessed. Cough.

I say we let tomorrow be the last day of no discussion. Everything is free game on Tuesday. Thoughts?

Barbara, the ninja
07-23-2007, 01:20 AM
I spoil things for people who only watch the movies. At the Daft Punk concert, this girl behind me was saying how much she loved the movies, so I turned around and said DUMBLEDORE DIES as a joke 'cause I assumed everyone knew. She didn't. Hee

sonofhal
07-23-2007, 03:09 AM
I say we let tomorrow be the last day of no discussion. Everything is free game on Tuesday. Thoughts?

I have no problem with that, but i've finished it. I think the thread title covers it.

Boourns
07-23-2007, 07:50 AM
I spoil things for people who only watch the movies. At the Daft Punk concert, this girl behind me was saying how much she loved the movies, so I turned around and said DUMBLEDORE DIES as a joke 'cause I assumed everyone knew. She didn't. Hee

Ahahaha. OH SNAP.

Just finished the book less than an hour ago.

miscorrections
07-23-2007, 09:06 AM
Obsessed. Cough.

i'm not obsessed, i don't write fanfic.

and sure. tomorrow we can start talking in specifics and not general impressions.

Alchemy
07-23-2007, 10:33 AM
To be safe, we can organize a meeting in the chat. A chatroom with a password.

The password will be the first name of a Malfoy.

miscorrections
07-23-2007, 11:32 AM
No, we gave enough warning. There will be discussion here starting tomorrow.

bmack86
07-23-2007, 07:05 PM
Done. I'll join in discussion tomorrow

amyzzz
07-23-2007, 08:50 PM
I just finished. Wow. I agree that the epilogue was unnecessary.

bballarl
07-23-2007, 11:05 PM
Discussion starts now. It is Tuesday. Where shall we start? I'm bummed I have work tomorrow, because I will be behind on a lot of the discussion.

Good Days Last
07-23-2007, 11:29 PM
So Harry died as rumored.

Who decided he should come back?

sonofhal
07-23-2007, 11:34 PM
So Harry died as rumored.

"He's not dead, he's just resting"

miscorrections
07-23-2007, 11:35 PM
just going to say that dobby, fred, tonks, lupin, bellatrix, and snape's deaths destroyed me.

harry as an unintentional seventh horcrux threw me. i was sure he wouldn't be one. on the plus side, i was right about the tiara.

bballarl
07-23-2007, 11:37 PM
His death was obviously just a psychedelic experience.

bballarl
07-23-2007, 11:38 PM
Bellatrix's death bothered you? I just wanted Neville to kill her. I was happy she was offed.

But the first four you listed sucked big time. Especially Lupin. And Fred. Especially especially Fred.

McAwesome
07-23-2007, 11:38 PM
and what happened to the Dursleys, did they get to go home? and I got confused at the very end, it sounded like only one of Harry's sons got on the train...

McAwesome
07-23-2007, 11:40 PM
just going to say that dobby, fred, tonks, lupin, bellatrix, and snape's deaths destroyed me.

Hedwig's was the only one that made me cry

miscorrections
bellatrix was my favorite villain. she was SO GREAT.

yeah, the dursleys thing kind of bothered me. oh well.

and i was a little disappointed in voldemort's death, it was kind of abrupt and anticlimactic.

bballarl
I don't think Rowling named all of Harry's kids either. I caught James and Albus. But that's all I remember off the top of my head. She said there were 5.

miscorrections
07-23-2007, 11:42 PM
Hedwig's was the only one that made me cry

yeah, i teared up over hedwig. and snape, actually. and when harry was walking to the forest clearing with his mom and dad and sirius and lupin.

bballarl
Also, do you guys think that she left it open for other books? I thought she did, just not necessarily with Harry as the focus. The end of the book was almost begging for a "BUT". And I just think she has invested so much into this world that she will continue creating and expanding it.

miscorrections
I don't think Rowling named all of Harry's kids either. I caught James and Albus. But that's all I remember off the top of my head. She said there were 5.

she said there were five potters. that includes harry and ginny.
the kids were james, albus, and lily.

bballarl
07-23-2007, 11:43 PM
Sweet.

miscorrections
07-23-2007, 11:43 PM
Also, do you guys think that she left it open for other books? I thought she did, just not necessarily with Harry as the focus. The end of the book was almost begging for a "BUT". And I just think she has invested so much into this world that she will continue creating and expanding it.

she swears she won't, but the setup was too good. i think she will. although with voldemort out of the picture i don't know what the epic conflict will be.

miscorrections
07-23-2007, 11:44 PM
and poor dumbledore. i got a little teary-eyed when we learned his story. and god bless his brother aberforth, and kreacher. i KNEW kreacher was involved with the locket, i totally knew it.

bballarl
07-23-2007, 11:44 PM
I was genuinely sad when I finished the book. After reading these since 5th grade, it is weird not to have to wait another 2 years for a new one. I hope she keeps it going in some way.

bballarl
07-23-2007, 11:45 PM
and poor dumbledore. i got a little teary-eyed when we learned his story. and god bless his brother aberforth, and kreacher. i KNEW kreacher was involved with the locket, i totally knew it.

Did Rowling mention Aberforth at the funeral in Book 6? I swear she mentioned a barman, but I don't know if it was him. I know she didn't refer to him by name if she did.

McAwesome
07-23-2007, 11:46 PM
one thing that really bothered me (although I may have just read over it) was that I don't think she ever said what Harry's future job actually was... did he actually become an auror? I wanted him to be a headmaster ):

miscorrections
07-23-2007, 11:47 PM
aberforth was mentioned in order of the phoenix briefly, when moody was showing harry the photo of the original members. and also in goblet of fire, when dumbledore mentions that aberforth was prosecuted for practicing inappropriate charms on a goat.

miscorrections
07-23-2007, 11:48 PM
one thing that really bothered me (although I may have just read over it) was that I don't think she ever said what Harry's future job actually was... did he actually become an auror? I wanted him to be a headmaster ):

that was something i was interested in too. she left it unsaid, which i think was an oversight. if she was going to do an epilogue she ought to have done it properly.

bballarl
07-23-2007, 11:49 PM
I just assumed McGonagall was headmaster.

bballarl
07-23-2007, 11:50 PM
"Practicing inappropriate charms on a goat". Hmm.

miscorrections
mmm, she wasn't young, so 19 years may have put her out of the picture. i wish she'd have said who the headmaster was.

also i knew it would be neville who was a professor. and way to go for cutting nagini's head off.

miscorrections
"Practicing inappropriate charms on a goat". Hmm.

that's a direct quote. also if you remember his patronus was a goat.

McAwesome
07-23-2007, 11:51 PM
ewww!!

miscorrections
07-23-2007, 11:53 PM
you people always assume the grossest.

i've been so harry-pottered-out that i even had a harry potter dream last night. this brings my tally to like four.

bballarl
07-23-2007, 11:53 PM
I didn't remember the Patronus. But I did remember the quote. It just made me laugh.

I called the Snape thing, which made me proud. I felt bad for him in the end. And the more I think about it, the more I'm upset she killed off Fred. Of all people, c'mon.

bballarl
07-23-2007, 11:54 PM
I also enjoyed the Viktor Krum cameo, however small. I was never clear if he and Hermione broke up or were never really dating or what.

miscorrections
07-23-2007, 11:55 PM
i know! and george missing an ear...

i was right about most things. i think the only thing i was really wrong about was the 7th horcrux thing, and i didn't predict that harry would pseudo-die and then come back.

miscorrections
07-23-2007, 11:56 PM
I also enjoyed the Viktor Krum cameo, however small. I was never clear if he and Hermione broke up or were never really dating or what.

they were sort of together but then she hooked it up with ron and i'm just going to assume it was partly due to the distance factor.

McAwesome
07-23-2007, 11:57 PM

I actually screamed when she brought in Oliver Wood (:

miscorrections
07-23-2007, 11:59 PM
i was surprised at how much more talented ron got in this one. i mean c'mon, learning to say "open up" in parseltongue?

bballarl
07-24-2007, 12:00 AM
Oh yeah, the Oliver Wood thing was cool. And bringing back Lee Jordan was awesome.

bballarl
07-24-2007, 12:01 AM
i was surprised at how much more talented ron got in this one. i mean c'mon, learning to say "open up" in parseltongue?

He just imitated Harry making noises. It would be like me speaking German.

miscorrections
07-24-2007, 12:01 AM
i was upset when mad-eye died, too. and umbridge putting his eye in her door? evil.

miscorrections
07-24-2007, 12:02 AM
He just imitated Harry making noises. It would be like me speaking German.

yeah but he was a much more accomplished wizard this time around. i guess because after turning 17 he had time to practice?

and hermione putting a memory charm on her parents...i had to read that part twice to really understand. it broke my heart.

bballarl
07-24-2007, 12:03 AM
Mad-Eye didn't phase me. I never really got into him as a character. Dobby was upsetting though.

bballarl
07-24-2007, 12:04 AM
The whole giants thing never really came into play. I thought for sure we would hear from Madam Whatshername again, and the giants would join the fight, not just Grawp.

miscorrections
07-24-2007, 12:04 AM
i cried a little bit when harry was digging dobby's grave.

i'm so torn, because really fuck bellatrix for doing that, but godDAMN was she a good character.

bballarl
07-24-2007, 12:05 AM
Adding to my last post, I was surprised we didn't hear from Fawkes again.

Bellatrix was a good villain, but I REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted Neville to kill her. Although that would have been cliche I guess.

Did Neville's grandma survive?

McAwesome
I read on another board that Dudley was the one who performed magic later in life (predicted in book 6) by loving, do ya'alls think this is true? or was it crabbe?

miscorrections
The whole giants thing never really came into play. I thought for sure we would hear from Madam Whatshername again, and the giants would join the fight, not just Grawp.

the giants did join the fight on voldemort's side. they destroyed pieces of the castle and grawp got in a wrestling match with one.

bballarl
07-24-2007, 12:06 AM
the giants did join the fight on voldemort's side. they destroyed pieces of the castle and grawp got in a wrestling match with one.

I forgot about that. You win.

McAwesome
07-24-2007, 12:06 AM
I'm glad Hagrid survived.

miscorrections
07-24-2007, 12:07 AM
Did Neville's grandma survive?

i'm going to guess she did, since she wasn't mentioned in the deaths and because neville was not shattered when the battle was over.

and if bellatrix had to die, i'm glad mrs. weasley did it. it kind of showed you where ginny gets her powers from, because to defeat bellatrix molly had to be an extraordinary witch.

miscorrections
07-24-2007, 12:07 AM
I forgot about that. You win.

i read it twice, remember.

bballarl
07-24-2007, 12:08 AM
I was disappointed that Rowling didn't get more into the contemporary Ginny/Harry romance. I liked that it was there in the 6th book, and for part of the 7th, just because nothing good ever happened to the guy. So it was good to read about him being happy.

McAwesome
07-24-2007, 12:10 AM
I think at the end, Harry should have proven his love to Ginny and had the novel end at that. I really didn't like the epilogue.

bballarl
07-24-2007, 12:11 AM
I think at the end, Harry should have proven his love to Ginny and had the novel end at that. I really didn't like the epilogue.

I would have liked that better too.

PS I hate the word "snogging"

miscorrections
07-24-2007, 12:13 AM
yes. but, you know, i was ok with the romance not cluttering it up. other things were more important.

also: was ted tonks the muggle who used magic later in life? that was the only one i could come up with that fit.

Good Days Last
07-24-2007, 12:13 AM
Well this thread has exploded.

miscorrections
07-24-2007, 12:15 AM
that's because harry potter, for a lot of us, represents a big chunk of our lives.

bballarl
07-24-2007, 12:15 AM
also: was ted tonks the muggle who used magic later in life? that was the only one i could come up with that fit.

He was a Muggle?

McAwesome
07-24-2007, 12:16 AM
yes. but, you know, i was ok with the romance not cluttering it up. other things were more important.

I totally missed that.

miscorrections
07-24-2007, 12:18 AM
He was a Muggle?

yes, he was. mentioned in order of the phoenix. andromeda black (tonks' mother and sirius' cousin) was blasted off the tapestry for marrying a muggle, ted tonks.

McAwesome
07-24-2007, 12:19 AM
you're good!

bballarl
07-24-2007, 12:20 AM
I totally missed that.

miscorrections
07-24-2007, 12:20 AM
you better believe it. i'm reigning harry potter trivia nerd champ.

bballarl
07-24-2007, 12:22 AM
I bet you secretly do write fanfiction.

miscorrections
07-24-2007, 12:23 AM
i swear i don't. i could, because i know enough, but that would be the biggest waste of time ever.

bballarl
07-24-2007, 12:26 AM
Since you have had dreams about Harry Potter, does that mean you are fluent in Harry Potter?

McAwesome
07-24-2007, 12:28 AM
Why didn't harry pull an "accacio hedwig" before blowing him up?

miscorrections
07-24-2007, 12:28 AM
what do you mean, fluent?

miscorrections
07-24-2007, 12:29 AM
Why didn't harry pull an "accacio hedwig" before blowing him up?

hedwig was already dead. hit with a killing curse.

McAwesome
I woke up this morning from what I guess was a HP dream because I was saying Harry.

McAwesome
hedwig was already dead. hit with a killing curse.

oh. now that part seems even more sad.

bballarl
07-24-2007, 12:30 AM
It was a joke. I'll pretend it never happened.

Back to discussion:

How many kids did Ron/Hermione have and what were their names?

McAwesome
07-24-2007, 12:31 AM
Two. They started Rose and Hugo

McAwesome
07-24-2007, 12:32 AM
oops. I mean rose and hugo

miscorrections
07-24-2007, 12:32 AM
um. hugo. rose. only two kids.

those names made me say wtf a little bit.

bballarl
07-24-2007, 12:33 AM
My next question was going to be if the names were significant, but I guess they were random.