PDA

View Full Version : Who is More Overrated: Radiohead or Arcade Fire?

Pages : [1] 2

luckyface
07-12-2007, 07:36 AM
Let's start this Thursday morning off with a fight. I like both bands, but they can definitely be considered overrated. Who is your choice?

Alchemy
07-12-2007, 07:37 AM
This conversation has been overmade.

TomAz
07-12-2007, 07:37 AM
Smashing Pumpkins.

Boourns
07-12-2007, 07:39 AM
Get taste.

PassiveTheory
07-12-2007, 07:40 AM
Radiohead, easily.

luckyface
07-12-2007, 07:42 AM
Get taste.

I have it, thanks though!

corbo
07-12-2007, 07:47 AM
it baffles me that two people have voted for RH so far. clearly the arcade fire is the overrated band.

marooko
07-12-2007, 07:47 AM
look at the "what are you listening to" thread. arcade fire is like every other fucking post.

J~$$$
07-12-2007, 07:49 AM
Who fucking cares? It's like pissing into the wind.

PassiveTheory
07-12-2007, 07:50 AM
look at the "what are you listening to" thread. arcade fire is like every other fucking post.

You actually spend time and effort backtracking the posts in that spam-fest?

For shame, sir.

TomAz
07-12-2007, 07:51 AM
Smashing Pumpkins.

betao
07-12-2007, 07:52 AM
MTV.

marooko
07-12-2007, 07:54 AM
when i post, i read some of the previous posts.

PassiveTheory
07-12-2007, 08:09 AM
fair enough.

bartelby
07-12-2007, 08:10 AM
Bloc Party

thinnerair
07-12-2007, 08:16 AM
I think Godspeed is pretty overrated.

J~$$$
07-12-2007, 08:18 AM
Jesus.

TomAz
07-12-2007, 08:20 AM
Daft Punk.

ThomThom
07-12-2007, 08:21 AM
Luckyface, you know your better then this right?

luckyface
07-12-2007, 08:21 AM
Daft Punk.

Now that is a good call. I should have put them into this discussion, too.

J~$$$
07-12-2007, 08:22 AM
Even more overrated Joesph smith.....

Smith said that from about 1823 to 1827, he had been visited by an angel named Moroni. Smith stated that the angel indicated that Joseph had a work to accomplish. He was to find and publish a long-buried book of golden plates protected by the angel, that told of the ancient inhabitants of the western continents. The book, along with other artifacts, was buried in a hill near his home. On September 22, 1827, Smith said the angel had finally allowed him to take the plates and other artifacts, although by this time he began having difficulties with local treasure-hunters who were trying to discover where the plates were hidden on the Smith farm.

yeah right.

betao
07-12-2007, 08:22 AM
there is a difference between Daft Punk and Daft Punk (live).

ThomThom
07-12-2007, 08:23 AM
there is a difference between Daft Punk and Daft Punk (live).

ewwwwww, that was good

betao
07-12-2007, 08:23 AM
one spawns records, the other spawns a 92 page thread about how awesome it is.

bartelby
07-12-2007, 08:24 AM
the Mars Volta

luckyface
07-12-2007, 08:32 AM
the Mars Volta

Could not agree more. This is literally one of my least favorite bands of all time.

shoegazer76
07-12-2007, 08:32 AM
the Mars Volta

Amen,hallelujah,word up to that!

thinnerair
07-12-2007, 08:40 AM
JSs9DbBjFts

BoardsofCoachella
07-12-2007, 09:21 AM
Daft Punk.

Yes, big time.

All That I Am
07-12-2007, 09:22 AM
I'm gonna have to go with Bloc Party

disgustipated
07-12-2007, 09:34 AM
the Mars Volta

wrong

Could not agree more. This is literally one of my least favorite bands of all time.

wrong

Amen,hallelujah,word up to that!

and wrong...

Boourns
07-12-2007, 09:39 AM
Actually overrated:
Bloc Party
Interpol
Pavement
Wilco
Arctic Monkeys
The Police
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah (just plain horrible)
The Mars Volta (ditto)
The Rapture (ditto)
Joanna Newsom (ditto)

Mr.Nipples
07-12-2007, 09:41 AM
pavement?

PotVsKtl
07-12-2007, 09:42 AM
I'm going to make a set of pogs out of your vertebrae.

disgustipated
07-12-2007, 09:47 AM
oooohhhhhh POGS!!!!!

I wanna play.

TomAz
07-12-2007, 09:52 AM
Actually overrated:
Bloc Party
Interpol
Pavement
Wilco
Arctic Monkeys
The Police
The Mars Volta (ditto)
The Rapture (ditto)
Joanna Newsom (ditto)

BP- agree. I mean I like them and all but they're not that great
Interpol - agree
Pavement - wtf?
Wilco - now I know you're joking
Arctic Monkeys - slightly overrated. Coachella set was a bit disappointing
The Police - totally agree
CHYSY, MV - don't you have to be actually admired by someone to be overrated?
Rapture - meh
Newsom - horrible? are you fucking kidding me?

bballarl
07-12-2007, 10:00 AM
The answer is Radiohead and the Arcade Fire are overrated.

TomAz
07-12-2007, 10:06 AM
The Tet Holiday.

bballarl
07-12-2007, 10:08 AM
We aren't even rated yet. Give us time to be overrated. It is a growth process.

rage patton
07-12-2007, 10:54 AM
The Mars Volta are pretty much amazing.

At The Drive-In on the other hand, were very overrated.

PassiveTheory
07-12-2007, 11:06 AM
I like "One Armed Scissor", but it's a limited track (in terms of, you know, musical prowess)

Does it get better after that? Or what?

RotationSlimWang
07-12-2007, 11:26 AM
"Overrated" is a term usually reserved for things that aren't really particularly good, yet get credit for greatness--not things you admit are great but you just don't think are AS great as their diehard fans make them out to be. That's kinda what diehard fans do.

Whatever else you want to say about them, both bands kinda created a sound that was fairly distinctly their own, which is the reason almost all legendary bands are legends.

And the correct answer is Rolling Stones, sorry.

Boourns
07-12-2007, 11:29 AM
Yeah, the Rolling Stones were good in the 60's, with some decent stuff in the 70's, but nothing since.

ThomThom
07-12-2007, 11:36 AM
"Overrated" is a term usually reserved for things that aren't really particularly good, yet get credit for greatness--not things you admit are great but you just don't think are AS great as their diehard fans make them out to be. That's kinda what diehard fans do.

Whatever else you want to say about them, both bands kinda created a sound that was fairly distinctly their own, which is the reason almost all legendary bands are legends.

You sir are one smart wang...Nicely done!

RotationSlimWang
07-12-2007, 11:39 AM
Even then, I dunno... there's about ten good Stones songs, but the fact that they get considered to be one of the greatest bands ever, somehow in the same category as The Beatles or Floyd... it just annoys the shit out of me. The Stones made good simple bluesy rock music (sometimes good), but that was all they ever did. Every other major band that came up during that time period evolved, the Stones never did.

summerkid
07-12-2007, 11:43 AM
Even then, I dunno... there's about ten good Stones songs, but the fact that they get considered to be one of the greatest bands ever, somehow in the same category as The Beatles or Floyd... it just annoys the shit out of me. The Stones made good simple bluesy rock music (sometimes good), but that was all they ever did. Every other major band that came up during that time period evolved, the Stones never did.

Completely agree.

suprefan
07-12-2007, 12:01 PM
AF, Pitchfork enjoys being on their knees more for them than RH

bartelby
07-12-2007, 12:16 PM
AF, Pitchfork enjoys being on their knees more for them than RH

I'm not so sure about that, Pitchfork would post about Thom Yorke's farts if they could get confirmation...

luckyface
07-12-2007, 12:18 PM
I still love this PF parody sucking off RH (http://www.somethingawful.com/fakesa/richdork/)

Someone gets a pat on the back if you can locate the Kid A parody where they have Radiohead superimposed on top of NSync back from 2000.

TomAz
07-12-2007, 02:11 PM

You don't actually like rock and roll, do you randy.

TomAz
07-12-2007, 02:18 PM
The 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time

hey wait a minute. where the fuck is Esteban on that list?????

theburiedlife
07-12-2007, 02:36 PM
Justice

*runs away*

miscorrections
07-12-2007, 02:38 PM
can we separate pre-neon bible arcade fire from post-neon bible arcade fire? because i think everything before deserved the hype it got, and that neon bible was extremely underwhelming.

mob roulette
07-12-2007, 03:08 PM
Actually overrated:
Bloc Party
Interpol
Pavement
Wilco
Arctic Monkeys
The Police
The Mars Volta (ditto)
The Rapture (ditto)
Joanna Newsom (ditto)

You almost had me until Joanna. Are you out of your fucking mind? Also, Pavement and Wilco are both very good bands. I don't think anybody "overrates" The Rapture either. There just some goofy dance punk band that are pretty good at what they do. I never heard anybody claim they're God's gift to music or anything.

Everything else you said is spot on though.

Yes, the Stones are a one trick pony, but Jesus, Randy, what a trick. They have waaaaaaaay more than "ten good songs", plus you can always at least count on the Stones to be the Stones, even when you can't count on anything else. Plus that's something you just can't say about most bands. Consistency goes a long way in rock music, kid. So does chops and craftsmanship. I'll even take it a step further, The Stones are clearly a better rock band than either Floyd or The Beatles. Anybody who doesn't see that doesn't know anything about anything.

luckyface
07-12-2007, 03:11 PM
Flight of the Conchords.

fatbastard
07-12-2007, 03:40 PM
Radiohead>Flight of The Concords>Arcade Fire

RotationSlimWang
07-12-2007, 04:15 PM
To answer your question Tom: no, I kinda don't like rock n' roll. Bob Seger can keep his old records on his motherfucking shelf--I like shit a little bit more progressive. Beatles might be the best band ever, but I'll be fucking goddamned if I ever listen to She Loves You willingly again, and Satisfaction is basically on the same line of craftsmanship except one was an embarassing teenager's song and the other was a career-definer.

Yes, the Stones are a one trick pony, but Jesus, Randy, what a trick. They have waaaaaaaay more than "ten good songs", plus you can always at least count on the Stones to be the Stones, even when you can't count on anything else. Plus that's something you just can't say about most bands. Consistency goes a long way in rock music, kid. So does chops and craftsmanship. I'll even take it a step further, The Stones are clearly a better rock band than either Floyd or The Beatles. Anybody who doesn't see that doesn't know anything about anything.

Well I haven't listened to every Stones song ever recorded, so there could conceivably be more than ten. But of the ones I have been exposed to, there ain't much more than that, and a lot of them sound alike. Consistency in rock music sucks, particularly when you're talking about consistency over several decades during a period when there was a cultural revolution going on. There was upheaval, both socially and musically.

When Pet Sounds came out The Beatles knew they couldn't just put out another consistent record again, and that forced the brilliance of Sgt. Pepper to come to fruition. Somehow the Stones were completely comfortable with the fact that they exited one of the most tumultuous periods in cultural history as the exact same musicians they were when they entered it. Sorry, but I don't consider that consistent--I consider it shallow.

A better rock band? I mean, I guess, if we're accepting the definition that I gather you're implying for "rock." But just rocking isn't really all that difficult. Lots of fucking bands are better rock bands than The Beatles and Floyd, because they elevated themselves above just "rocking." Nirvana's a better rock band than Radiohead too, who gives a fuck?

Although, just to play Devil's Advocate, I challenge you to find anything that the Stones ever did that wails harder than Gilmour's solo at the end of Comfortably Numb or the breakdown in Happiness Is A Warm Gun. Failing that, I cite Helter Skelter.

suprefan
07-12-2007, 04:21 PM
I'm not so sure about that, Pitchfork would post about Thom Yorke's farts if they could get confirmation...

And if Win and Regine did like a side prjoect also, wouldnt they get the same treatment? Yeah, probably.

can we separate pre-neon bible arcade fire from post-neon bible arcade fire? because i think everything before deserved the hype it got, and that neon bible was extremely underwhelming.

No you cant, cause then should we seperate Radiohead pre and post OK Computer? You cant do that.

This is a tough argument as it is since AF only has 2 records, but they have been elevated to such a high "status" in the matter of 3 years. Radiohead has put out 6 albums and has been around for almost 20 years. Most of their acclaim has been well earned and most people know it. The thing with them(I think) is that at this stage in their career, they are getting an insane amount of ass kissing that it turns some people off so there are lots of arguments like this. Then there is the whole pretentious b.s. also to go with it and whatnot.

miscorrections
07-12-2007, 05:20 PM
yeah, they only have two full lengths but with with their singles (i'm thinking cold wind/brazil) and their rarities i think that's enough to gauge whether they're overrated or not.

yeah, funeral made the reviewers jizz all over everything but that was legitimate. i think the buildup to neon bible pushed some people past objective listenings and consequently created a classic example of overrating.

but i don't care what you say, i'm only admitting to them being overrated since neon bible.

RotationSlimWang
07-12-2007, 05:37 PM
Other bands more overrated than either of these:
Beastie Boys
U2
The Strokes

suprefan
07-12-2007, 06:15 PM
I like "One Armed Scissor", but it's a limited track (in terms of, you know, musical prowess)

Does it get better after that? Or what?

Yes it does. You never listened to Relationship of Command the whole way?

ATDI > TMV And Sparta

The parts are never better than the whole.

summerkid
07-12-2007, 06:31 PM
Beastie Boys
U2
The Strokes

The Beastie Boys? Paul's Boutique is one of the best rap albums ever.

mob roulette
07-12-2007, 06:51 PM
Well I haven't listened to every Stones song ever recorded, so there could conceivably be more than ten. But of the ones I have been exposed to, there ain't much more than that, and a lot of them sound alike. Consistency in rock music sucks, particularly when you're talking about consistency over several decades during a period when there was a cultural revolution going on. There was upheaval, both socially and musically.

When Pet Sounds came out The Beatles knew they couldn't just put out another consistent record again, and that forced the brilliance of Sgt. Pepper to come to fruition. Somehow the Stones were completely comfortable with the fact that they exited one of the most tumultuous periods in cultural history as the exact same musicians they were when they entered it. Sorry, but I don't consider that consistent--I consider it shallow.

Hippie.

Your point is well taken, but what would you rather listen to driving around in your car on a daily basis--Sgt. Pepper or mid period Stones? You'd rather hear "Gimme Shelter" or "Sympathy For The Devil" or "Bitch" or hell, even "Heartbreaker" over the bulk of Pepper, not because they're better songs (they're not), but because they're razor sharp, straight ahead rock and roll music and so they remain relevant. I love the Beatles. LOVE. I cut my teeth on them like most everyone else. But as an adult, I rarely sit and play entire albums by them, mostly because I know them so well and familiarity breeds contempt, but also because they're just so specific to a place in time in my life and in our culture as a whole. Put on the Stones cover of "Stop Breaking Down" though or even their own "Monkey Man" and you quickly realize that they could have been recorded yesterday, such is the immediacy of the music's impact. It's topical, Randy. It's universal and so it remains relevant. I don't often think that way about the Beatles. "Tomorrow Never Knows" maybe, which can probably lay claim to being the first "electronica" track or at least a precursor thereof. Or any of John's mid period boy loses girl/revenge/mother fantasies ("I'll Be Back", "Norwegian Wood", "And Your Bird Can Sing"), but only because there's cynicism there and that slight element of danger that take these songs out of the pop realm and into *gasp* rock and roll territory. Anyway, this is a stupid argument to get into anyway because there's no way you can compare The Beatles with The Stones or even with Pink Floyd. The first is a great, great pop band that broke boundaries and then redefined music as their career went on, but only because they sold a million boy loves girl records first. The second is the greatest rock and roll band of all time who hasn't changed all that much but rarely missed a beat until they were into their fifteenth or sixteenth year recording music. This is what, the 44th year of the Rolling Stones? That's not a band, that's a business. They don't have to put out good music anymore, they've earned their keep. All the money comes from their back catalogue and incessant touring anyway. And Pink Floyd is a psych band who got lucky when their original crazy lead singer went crazy and their second crazy lead singer took over. I love Floyd but it's not rock and roll. It's rock music and it's gorgeous and it's cerebral, but you sure can't shake your ass to it. Stated.

Also,

Although, just to play Devil's Advocate, I challenge you to find anything that the Stones ever did that wails harder than Gilmour's solo at the end of Comfortably Numb or the breakdown in Happiness Is A Warm Gun. Failing that, I cite Helter Skelter.

This is dumb. Helter Skelter is one of the great rock songs of all time. No one's denying their prowess, particularly Ringo, who I've always felt is underrated as a drummer. The section of Gun of which you speak is like 45 seconds long, if that. Comfortably Numb is Floyd's magnum opus, there's very little like it in modern music, especially that high on the charts. Do any of these rock as harder or as consistently as the best of the Stones ouevre? Somehow I think not. Are any of these as tight or as precise or as locked in or as bone chillingly accurate as the urban fantasy of "Midnight Rambler"? Again, I think not. In fairness, I know you haven't heard all of their stuff, so I will leave you with this. Remember, it is always better to have no opinion than it is to have a half-assed, misinformed one. Just saying. Thank you for the debate. You are consistently good for that anyway.

A List Of Amazing Stones Songs Off The Top Of My Head That Are Rarely Played On The Radio And Have Not Yet Been Mentioned In This Thread And Are Also Songs That Randy Should Check Out At His Earliest Possible Convenience:

"I Am Waiting"
"She's A Rainbow"
"Jigsaw Puzzle"
"Stray Cat Blues"
"Prodigal Son"
"Can't You Hear Me Knocking?"
"Sister Morphine"
"Dead Flowers"
"Moonlight Mile" (Quite possibly the most underrated song in the entire catalog)
"Let It Bleed"
"You Got The Silver"
"Rocks Off"
"Rip That Joint"
"Shake Your Hips"
"Sweet Black Angel"
"Turd On The Run"
"Soul Survivor"
"Dance Little Sister"
"Time Waits For No One"
"Respectable"
"When The Whip Comes Down"

Anybody got any others to add? Thanks so much.

RotationSlimWang
07-12-2007, 07:08 PM
Mob, we're just coming from two completely different viewpoints. Yes, I still put Sgt. Pepper's on in my car on a regular basis and only skip over Within You Without You. Sorry, I'd rather hear something expertly crafted to be art than tap my toes along in 4/4 time to something that "rocks." When I want to shake my ass, as you mentioned, I don't listen to honky pap like the Stones--I turn to negro music, as asses were meant to be shaken to.

Why did being "rock n' roll" become the basis of your side of the argument? That's basically what I was giving them a bag of shit for--they're just a rock band (call them the greatest rock band ever if you like) that gets recognized as equals to bands that made stunning and innovative works of art that changed the future of music. The Stones are just bluesy rock, call them as great at it as you want, fine, I'll even stipulate that they're great at it. My point still stands--they don't belong on that top tier. I think you said it best yourself, Mob--it's not a band, it's a business.

I'll be more than happy to listen to those songs, but I ain't seeking them all out. If you'd like to be so kind as to maybe zip and upload them for me I'll give them a fair listen and perhaps you'll have converted me.

Tylerdurden31
07-12-2007, 07:12 PM
Put on the Stones cover of "Stop Breaking Down" though or even their own "Monkey Man" and you quickly realize that they could have been recorded yesterday, such is the immediacy of the music's impact.

considering the state of music these days, Sgt. Pepper's could be taken the same way.

luckyface
07-12-2007, 07:37 PM
First of all, the Beatles electronic turn can be attributed to John Cage (not the Mortal Kombat character), so I would not argue that Tomorrow Never Knows is the first electronic song when Cage was already there. Maybe first mass consumed electronic song? Either way, that song rules.

Second of all, while I am not a huge Stones fan, they get a free pass from me for Gimme Shelter. That masterpiece would absolve them from creating N Sync type songs if you ask me.

mob roulette
07-12-2007, 08:09 PM
I'll be more than happy to listen to those songs, but I ain't seeking them all out. If you'd like to be so kind as to maybe zip and upload them for me I'll give them a fair listen and perhaps you'll have converted me.

I am still away from my home computer. If you're still around in another month or so, I would be happy to.

sydaud
07-12-2007, 08:12 PM
"I Am Waiting"
"She's A Rainbow"
"Jigsaw Puzzle"
"Stray Cat Blues"
"Prodigal Son"
"Sister Morphine"
"Dead Flowers"
"Moonlight Mile" (Quite possibly the most underrated song in the entire catalog)
"Let It Bleed"
"You Got The Silver"
"Rocks Off"
"Rip That Joint"
"Shake Your Hips"
"Sweet Black Angel"
"Turd On The Run"
"Soul Survivor"
"Dance Little Sister"
"Time Waits For No One"
"Respectable"

Little T & A
Dancing With Mr. D
Citadel

Yeah, I think the Stones are ok too.

RotationSlimWang
07-12-2007, 08:21 PM
I am still away from my home computer. If you're still around in another month or so, I would be happy to.

Where you at? Somewhere interesting? And thanks, I'd appreciate it. I'm not a complete douche--I did stipulate that I've never really heard much of them from the get-go. But sometimes you gotta just go with your gut and say stuff sucks based on limited evidence 'cause you barely get any sleep anymore and you find that you've become an asshole again, and assholes like saying stuff sucks. =)

mob roulette
07-12-2007, 08:36 PM
Where you at? Somewhere interesting? And thanks, I'd appreciate it. I'm not a complete douche--I did stipulate that I've never really heard much of them from the get-go. But sometimes you gotta just go with your gut and say stuff sucks based on limited evidence 'cause you barely get any sleep anymore and you find that you've become an asshole again, and assholes like saying stuff sucks. =)

I am in Chiapas. Then Mexico City. Then home.

Arcade Fire is more overrated than Radiohead. Thom Yorke has at least earned his pretentiousness. Win Butler? Not so much.

marooko
07-12-2007, 08:44 PM

where are you? you shouldnt end your sentence with a preposition.

edit: preposition from proposition. i totally forgot to change it after i got up. mob totally busted me.

mob roulette
07-12-2007, 08:45 PM
Preposition, do you mean? Either way, it's funny.

marooko
07-12-2007, 08:48 PM
Preposition, do you mean? Either way, it's funny.

busted.

RotationSlimWang
07-12-2007, 09:14 PM
***** pulled an "end your sentence with a preposition" on me. C'mon, let's show a little respect for ebonics, people.

Oh, and for the record, you can end a sentence with a preposition in circumstances where the order of words it would require to not end in a preposition reads as awkward and/or confusing. Very much a judgment call--and before people start chomping at the bit, this isn't just me talking. The New York Times Style Guide To Writing, for example, will back this up.

Of course, I'm just thumbing my nose at conventions as I see fit cause it makes me feel like a big man. If Grammar has a problem with it, tell that ***** to come talk at me.

disgustipated
07-12-2007, 09:19 PM

couldn't have said it better myself.

Tylerdurden31
07-12-2007, 09:21 PM
couldn't have said it better myself.

you could've

by disagreeing

disgustipated
07-12-2007, 09:22 PM
ha....you got jokes.

marooko
07-12-2007, 10:04 PM
***** pulled an "end your sentence with a preposition" on me. C'mon, let's show a little respect for ebonics, people.

Oh, and for the record, you can end a sentence with a preposition in circumstances where the order of words it would require to not end in a preposition reads as awkward and/or confusing. Very much a judgment call--and before people start chomping at the bit, this isn't just me talking. The New York Times Style Guide To Writing, for example, will back this up.

Of course, I'm just thumbing my nose at conventions as I see fit cause it makes me feel like a big man. If Grammar has a problem with it, tell that ***** to come talk at me.

i dont care right now.

woogie846
07-12-2007, 10:09 PM
Flight of the Conchords.

http://cindyandshongetmarried.com/crying-baby.jpg

Was that really necessary to make that baby cry? No.

woogie846
07-12-2007, 10:12 PM
But in all seriousness I'm gonna have to go with The Strokes for 200.

bballarl
07-13-2007, 12:11 AM
The Strokes are my favorite band. They changed my life. I've gone over this story numerous times, but them/White Stripes/Hives/Vines all did. So I am biased, but not blind to their moments of suckage. And while "Is This It" is not the most amazing piece of music ever, it is a fantastic record. The second record was merely good, and the third was alright. But "Is This It" is an important and fantastic album.

rage patton
07-13-2007, 12:15 AM
Arctic Monkeys are the most overrated band EVER.

SojuGorae
07-13-2007, 03:31 AM
Let's start this Thursday morning off with a fight. I like both bands, but they can definitely be considered overrated. Who is your choice?

Radiohead's post OK-Computer albums are overrated. Good god they suck so much ass. I liked Radiohead when they were just making good solid pop-rock music.

As for Arcade Fire, I didn't like them at first but they grew on me and now I totally geek out on those fuckers.

thinnerair
07-13-2007, 04:57 AM
i don't care if they're not a band....

http://www.lostpedia.com/images/thumb/0/0f/Lost-season2.jpg/300px-Lost-season2.jpg

OVER-RATED

Tylerdurden31
07-13-2007, 05:40 AM
i don't care if they're not a band....

http://www.lostpedia.com/images/thumb/0/0f/Lost-season2.jpg/300px-Lost-season2.jpg

OVER-RATED

TESSA!!!!!

RotationSlimWang
07-13-2007, 05:41 AM
http://i.cnn.net/cnn/SPECIALS/2001/trade.center/images/main.bin.jpg

Over rated.

thinnerair
07-13-2007, 05:59 AM
TESSA!!!!!

are you calling Tessa overrated?

Tylerdurden31
07-13-2007, 06:32 AM
are you calling Tessa overrated?

maybe I am...maybe I'm not

vinylmartyr
07-13-2007, 06:44 AM
i'm not sure what to say about this

vinylmartyr
07-13-2007, 06:44 AM
I kinda like how the question is all negative. Thats a nice touch.

Martin Gore
07-13-2007, 06:50 AM
Hd7y6A-5uTY

marooko
07-13-2007, 06:50 AM
http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/2632/filekc3.gif

vinylmartyr
07-13-2007, 07:02 AM
Beastie Boys
U2
The Strokes

GpVbLm4TN3g

completely overrated

RotationSlimWang
07-13-2007, 07:09 AM
(a) That was like, what, 20 some odd years ago? But yes, that was almost the exact point at which they last had any worth.

(b) They're still just biting The Beatles' stunt, except they filmed a video for it.

(c) Bono's fucking annoying, you know he is.

chairmenmeow47
07-13-2007, 07:41 AM
Smashing Pumpkins.

AGREED AGREED AGREED. i always get death looks whenever i say i don't like them. but ya know, i could actually tolerate some of their music if it weren't for billy corgan. that fester wannabe can go fuck himself.

i loathe the mars volta. i forget where i saw them, but it was one of the most painful experiences of my life. but i'm not a heavy guitar person either.

i would like to add that every drum and bass MC i've ever heard is overrated. particularly mc xyz. CHECK CHEEEEECK!

and both lost and tessa rule :)

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
07-13-2007, 06:01 PM
how about neither? I can think of quite a few other bands that are overrated then then pick from this this.

leo01g
07-13-2007, 06:17 PM
OPxHK8MSe88
I hate Prince

ThomThom
07-14-2007, 09:41 AM
Beastie Boys live

PassiveTheory
07-14-2007, 11:30 AM
Most Overrated Live Band: Bloc Party

bartelby
07-14-2007, 06:05 PM
i think bloc party are actually better live than on their discs...i still think they're overrated but actually pretty fun live

Boourns
07-16-2007, 10:19 AM
Oh yeah, Beastie Boys and U2 are hella overrated. When was the last time either had a good song?

rage patton
07-16-2007, 10:22 AM
OPxHK8MSe88
I hate Prince

You're one of those people who only know Purple Rain, arent you?

ThomThom
07-16-2007, 10:22 AM
Yeah I have seen the Beastie Boys 4 times live and each time I left completely underwhelmed. After 4 different times of saying "they just had a bad night, try them again" and still not being pleased, I have given up on them entirely.

RotationSlimWang
07-16-2007, 10:31 AM
Jay-Z
Tupac
Neutral Milk Hotel
The White Stripes

Heh. Please don't bother responding, there's no point in debating taste, but these popped into my head today and srsly.

i_like_cake530
07-16-2007, 10:43 AM
"I Am Waiting"
"She's A Rainbow"
"Jigsaw Puzzle"
"Stray Cat Blues"
"Prodigal Son"
"Sister Morphine"
"Dead Flowers"
"Let It Bleed"
"You Got The Silver"
"Rocks Off"
"Rip That Joint"
"Shake Your Hips"
"Sweet Black Angel"
"Turd On The Run"
"Soul Survivor"
"Dance Little Sister"
"Time Waits For No One"
"Respectable"

Little T & A
Dancing With Mr. D
Citadel

Yeah, I think the Stones are ok too.

Indian Girl
Dance Pt. 1
Slave

TomAz
07-16-2007, 10:46 AM
Smashing Daft Punkins.

rage patton
07-16-2007, 02:05 PM
Are you calling the Smashing Pumpkins daft Tom?
Or are you saying you think Daft Punk is overrated?
Or both?

luckyface
07-16-2007, 02:08 PM
Are you calling the Smashing Pumpkins daft Tom?
Or are you saying you think Daft Punk is overrated?
Or both?

Based on the fact that he has repeatedly typed both bands are overrated in the thread, I am pretty sure he is saying both are overrated

mob roulette
07-16-2007, 02:13 PM
Little T & A
Dancing With Mr. D
Citadel

Indian Girl
Dance Pt. 1
Slave

Ooooh, these are good. "Citadel" is a particularly inspired choice. I can't believe I forgot "No Expectations". Or better still, "Thru and Thru". Fucking love that song. And that was from 94. It just goes to show that they can still write something truly great when they want to.

Also for the record, I hate the Smashing Pumpkins. I like Daft Punk though. But maybe I like the idea of Daft Punk even more. Without the live show and the mythology, they're just a decent electronic act. Srsly.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
07-16-2007, 02:27 PM
Hd7y6A-5uTY

completely disagree...

leo01g
07-19-2007, 07:32 PM
You're one of those people who only know Purple Rain, arent you?

Why would i want to know more songs? I just dont like Prince and i think people exaggerate when it comes to Prince.

Pixiessp
07-19-2007, 08:35 PM
Daft Punk.

Huh?

i_like_cake530
07-19-2007, 08:38 PM
Why would i want to know more songs? I just dont like Prince and i think people exaggerate when it comes to Prince.

i hate you.

leo01g
07-19-2007, 08:41 PM
i hate you.

Because i dislike Prince's music? I never said his music sucked

Pixiessp
07-19-2007, 08:43 PM
Flight of the Conchords.

Not overrated........at all!!!!!

i_like_cake530
07-19-2007, 08:46 PM
Daft Punk.

Amen. they've got to be the most overrated...without a doubt.

i_like_cake530
07-19-2007, 08:47 PM
Because i dislike Prince's music? I never said his music sucked

i was sorta kinda kidding a little bit...but seriously, give Prince another chance.

leo01g
07-19-2007, 09:52 PM
i was sorta kinda kidding a little bit...but seriously, give Prince another chance.

ahh i guess, what songs or albums would you recommend? Because yeah i only know purple rain like rage said a couple lines up.

i_like_cake530
07-19-2007, 09:59 PM
well start with that album...its good. if you don't like that one, then you probably just aren't a prince fan.

RotationSlimWang
07-20-2007, 03:31 AM
If you're in doubt about Prince you don't even need to go to his real albums, just listen to Partyman and Trust off the Batman soundtrack and try and tell me he doesn't rule all. If there's any question after that, play Raspberry Beret on repeat until you get your shit straight.

bartelby
07-20-2007, 06:33 AM
just go and youtube the superbowl halftime show - when it actually starts raining during "purple rain" is when you know that prince is god...

luckyface
07-20-2007, 07:32 AM
I am not a huge Prince fan, but that performance of Purple Rain makes me want to catch him live. He killed it!

amyzzz
07-20-2007, 09:22 AM
just go and youtube the superbowl halftime show - when it actually starts raining during "purple rain" is when you know that prince is god...
That was so awesome. That performance alone makes me want to see him at Coachella.

TomAz
07-20-2007, 12:10 PM
Yeah, I agree with Amy. it would be great if he could make it rain at Coachella.

ficklecycle
07-20-2007, 12:46 PM
Arcade Fire

rage patton
07-20-2007, 02:13 PM
The Price half time show was beyond epic.

Yeah, I agree with Amy. it would be great if he could make it rain at Coachella.

Hahaha

amyzzz
07-20-2007, 02:48 PM
I didn't say anything about rain.

TomAz
07-20-2007, 03:02 PM

That was so awesome. That performance alone makes me want to see him at Coachella.

I didn't say anything about rain.

ummmmmmmmmmm

1... 2... 3... 4... 5... 6... 7... 8... 9... 10...

(deep breath)

hi amy!

bartelby
07-21-2007, 01:00 PM
9yqGcXbpaTQ

as long as he keeps the rain contained to that one song, i think we can all agree that he'd be welcome in the desert

i_like_cake530
07-21-2007, 03:39 PM

most epic halftime show ever!

atom heart
07-21-2007, 07:05 PM
The same thing happened when Radiohead performed Paranoid Android at (I think, you can call me out on this one if I get it wrong) Oxford South Park, right at "rain down, rain down". But then of course, it is England and by all probablility it had to happen at least once. Chance or God, take your pick.

bballarl
07-22-2007, 12:12 AM
According to Trent Reznor, God is dead and no one cares.

Michelsparrow
07-26-2007, 09:30 PM
Hi all
My vote is to Radiohead. This is overrated. Arcade Fire is not overrated.

Tylerdurden31
07-27-2007, 07:02 AM
Hi all
My vote is to Radiohead. This is overrated. Arcade Fire is not overrated.

your signature makes your vote null and void

Yablonowitz
07-27-2007, 07:12 AM
The subject of this thread just kind of depresses me. I haven't read it because, yeah, I love both bands.

But I also think some of you who go out of your way to lambaste a band as overrated are part of a canibalistic culture within the so-called "indie" community. I mean...really...if you don't like it and don't see why others do, does that mean you need to take a stand? Both bands are obviously doing things artistically with their music, doing more than just trying to make money, maybe you think they fail miserably or aren't terribly original. At least they are trying to do something artistic and meaningful instead of just being a tool for record companies to sell "cool" to the masses.

downingthief
07-27-2007, 08:44 AM
The subject of this thread just kind of depresses me. I haven't read it because, yeah, I love both bands.

But I also think some of you who go out of your way to lambaste a band as overrated are part of a canibalistic culture within the so-called "indie" community. I mean...really...if you don't like it and don't see why others do, does that mean you need to take a stand? Both bands are obviously doing things artistically with their music, doing more than just trying to make money, maybe you think they fail miserably or aren't terribly original. At least they are trying to do something artistic and meaningful instead of just being a tool for record companies to sell "cool" to the masses.

Greg, once again you are the voice of reason. Spot on!

luckyface
07-27-2007, 09:34 AM

As creator of this thread, I feel the need to respond.

I actually DO like both bands. I don't mean overrated in the sense that they are not talented musicians who do not offer anything to the music community. My posing this question has more to do with those fans who claim that both bands (either individually or collectively) are the be all and end all of music today. That they "save music," that they can do no wrong and critics of their music should be lambasted for speaking poorly of them, that they are the only interesting groups out there right now is completely absurd to me. So when people put them on these ridiculous pedestals, I would consider that to be overrated. There is way too much great music out there that is equal if not better than what these two groups produce.

This poll wasn't created to tear apart the bands involved. Rather, it was taking aim at those who are fanboys about the groups. Plus, knowing the boards love affairs with these bands, I thought it would be interesting to throw out a poll that challenges the people here a little.

ThomThom
07-27-2007, 10:01 AM
As creator of this thread, I feel the need to respond.

I actually DO like both bands. I don't mean overrated in the sense that they are not talented musicians who do not offer anything to the music community. My posing this question has more to do with those fans who claim that both bands (either individually or collectively) are the be all and end all of music today. That they "save music," that they can do no wrong and critics of their music should be lambasted for speaking poorly of them, that they are the only interesting groups out there right now is completely absurd to me. So when people put them on these ridiculous pedestals, I would consider that to be overrated. There is way too much great music out there that is equal if not better than what these two groups produce.

This poll wasn't created to tear apart the bands involved. Rather, it was taking aim at those who are fanboys about the groups. Plus, knowing the boards love affairs with these bands, I thought it would be interesting to throw out a poll that challenges the people here a little.

When did anybody EVER put either one of these bands on a pedestal to that effect on this board? I don't think anybody on this board feels that way about these two bands and particularly does not feel there are not any other forms of music. Start a thread like this on atease, greenplastic, or us kids know, not coachella. And please stop using the term "fanboy".

Edit: I know Delta put Arcade Fire on a pedestal similar to the one your explaining, but he doesn't count.

bug on your lip
07-27-2007, 10:44 AM
But I also think some of you who go out of your way to lambaste a band as overrated are part of a canibalistic culture within the so-called "indie" community.

i remember in early 2004 there was a leak of The Killers yet-to-be-released CD and alot of board members were glommin all over em'....

a couple hit songs later & same peeps were mad hatin

thinnerair
07-27-2007, 10:58 AM
Johnny Cash

rage patton
07-28-2007, 12:37 AM
Johnny Cash

How can you actually say that?

i remember in early 2004 there was a leak of The Killers yet-to-be-released CD and alot of board members were glommin all over em'....

a couple hit songs later & same peeps were mad hatin

Pretty much everyone was like that. I still love Hot Fuss. I think it is a great album. I dont care what people say now.
Sams Town... not so much.

ghettojournalist
08-10-2007, 02:52 PM
i can't vote for either.
radiohead, i feel, is quite perfectly rated: they've had some mass-market appeal, but when the sounds became glitchier, the people and critics relocated to the land of like, no longer worshipping the band's later work.

arcade fire might be overrated when it comes to critical acclaim, but the marketplace has shown that they are still a prodominately underrated band.
one #2 debut does not make them a widely known and appreciated band.

M Sparks
08-10-2007, 03:02 PM
I gotta go Radiohead, even though I like them better than Arcade Fire. They just plain aren't the greatest band in the world as the media likes to act.

crazzz2007
08-10-2007, 03:03 PM
I gotta go Radiohead, even though I like them better than Arcade Fire. They just plain aren't the greatest band in the world as the media likes to act.

who do you think is the greatest band in the world?

amyzzz
08-10-2007, 03:04 PM
Radiohead = greatest band in the world

Arcade Fire = meh

crazzz2007
08-10-2007, 03:04 PM
Radiohead = greatest band in the world

Arcade Fire = meh

totally agree

TomAz
08-10-2007, 03:13 PM
you peoples is crazy. crazy in the head.

i_like_cake530
08-10-2007, 03:18 PM

You can like a band and still be smart enough to realize that they are overrated. Just because we call those bands overrated does not mean that we dislike said bands.

joppy-slow
08-11-2007, 06:14 AM
Arcade Fire is way overrated. . Their music reminds me of stinky art students in college, wearing tight sweaters, playing violin and bongos while all the other hippys think they are the second coming of christ.. They did have 2 decent songs on their first album, but I find the lead singers voice rather annoying after a while.

Radiohead can never even be mentioned in the same sentence as overrated.

Back to back to back albums: Pablo Honey, The Bends, and OK Computer.. one of the best tri-fecta's.. Radiohead deserves all the success they get, because they have easily earned it.

TomAz
08-11-2007, 06:21 AM
Arcade Fire is way overrated. . Their music reminds me of stinky art students in college, wearing tight sweaters, playing violin and bongos while all the other hippys think they are the second coming of christ.. They did have 2 decent songs on their first album, but I find the lead singers voice rather annoying after a while..

they must have distracted you during English class.

joppy-slow
08-11-2007, 06:38 AM
they must have distracted you during English class.

yawn...

Cpt. Funkaho
12-29-2007, 10:21 AM
Radiohead can never even be mentioned in the same sentence as overrated.

Apparently they can, actually, since you just did it.

crazzz2007
12-29-2007, 10:30 AM
Apparently they can, actually, since you just did it.

what did you have for dinner last night? the usual salmon, or some nice dolphin?

Cpt. Funkaho
12-29-2007, 10:35 AM
what did you have for dinner last night? the usual salmon, or some nice dolphin?

Delicious clams and mussels that I gruffled from the floor of the sea with help from my supple whiskers and tusks.

MissingPerson
12-29-2007, 03:27 PM
Radiohead are really good, they deserve all the acclaim that they receive. If it weren't for all the critics riding their nuts for every release, then they wouldn't get my vote. Arcade fire are also good, but when I first saw them live they did nothing for me. But everyone in the crowd was like "omg! Best performance of the festival, LOL!!11l11111one!!!" It was ridiculous.

I had this exact experience with Daft Punk. It was really weird. In the dark with 40,000 other people in raptures of joy, last act of a festival, with all my friends. It should have been all kinds of magical, and I was just bored stupid. Bored, and alone in the whole world. I felt like that guy running around yelling "SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE! SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!"

Even allowing for the fact that I was probably the only person there not on big piles of drugs, I just didn't get it. I still don't get it. I've tried, I really have.

Anyway. Re: The likelyhood of Arcade Fire side projects getting talked up like crazy... Given that nobody has actually mentioned any of the side projects they have actually worked on, I don't think this is the case.

I don't reckon Arcade Fire are overrated at all: I mean, they always make a good showing in knowing indie circles, but they just aren't recognised by the mainstream the same way.

I reckon Radiohead is slightly overrated, but then I did kinda miss the Radiohead heydey. Radiohead's kind of harder for me to appreciate on their own terms because a lot of what they did was adopted, imitated or whatever by lots of lamer bands since then.

rage patton
12-29-2007, 06:30 PM
I don't understand how people think Radiohead are more overrated than Arcade Fire.

paulb
12-29-2007, 06:40 PM
I don't understand how people think Radiohead are more overrated than Arcade Fire.

simple, Radiohead....pretty good, awesome band...best in the world? comon.

Arcade Fire: pretty good, awesome band aswell. best in the world? i dont think anyone has even called them that, as opposed to Radiohead fans who swear they are the best band in the world...dont be so pretentious.

My fav band is the beastie boys....are they the best in the world? prob not...but i enjoy them. Thats fine by me.

wmgaretjax
12-29-2007, 06:45 PM
dont be so pretentious.

|
|
V

rage patton
12-29-2007, 09:41 PM
Since when are Lamb Of God "pretentious"? I am not a fan... but they aren't pretentious, so to speak.
That did make me laugh though.

And Paul, what I was saying was, in terms of overratedness (if that is a word) I can't believe most people here think Radiohead are more overrated then Arcade Fire. Radiohead are much better than Arcade Fire.

with the kills
12-29-2007, 09:46 PM
my chemicle romance!
or taking back sunday

paulb
12-29-2007, 11:33 PM
Since when are Lamb Of God "pretentious"? I am not a fan... but they aren't pretentious, so to speak.
That did make me laugh though.

And Paul, what I was saying was, in terms of overratedness (if that is a word) I can't believe most people here think Radiohead are more overrated then Arcade Fire. Radiohead are much better than Arcade Fire.

I dont understand the LOG issue there... it was an awesome video. What am i missing?

Oh, for sure Radiohead are better than the Arcade Fire, but you just dont go around seeing Arcade Fire fans acting all high and mighty cause their fav band is AF, as opposed to Radiohead fans, where once you meet them, they act as if they are better than you and have better taste in music cause they 'listen' to Radiohead. Who really cares? Im just judging by how people on this board post. The only exception to this was Delta and his AF love, that was just overboard and lame.

Neutral Milk Hotel
12-29-2007, 11:37 PM
Radiocade Headfire

ADrunkPoet
12-29-2007, 11:47 PM
Both deserve all of the accolades they receive.
I decline voting.

orbit
12-30-2007, 05:02 PM
Where is the Daft Punk option?

with the kills
12-30-2007, 08:23 PM
listen to pablo honney and neon bible back to back

menikmati
12-30-2007, 08:31 PM
Ed Banger

betao
12-31-2007, 08:26 AM
The only real band/group I think is overrated is Justice.

They're good, but not anything greater. Their music has little variety (my opinion).

Ritestyl
01-02-2008, 10:29 AM
The answer is so obviously Arcade Fire... cover of Spin magazine with Bruce Springsteen anyone?

i_like_cake530
01-02-2008, 11:07 AM

Arcade Fire: pretty good, awesome band aswell. best in the world? i dont think anyone has even called them that, as opposed to Radiohead fans who swear they are the best band in the world...dont be so pretentious.

My fav band is the beastie boys....are they the best in the world? prob not...but i enjoy them. Thats fine by me.

I dont understand the LOG issue there... it was an awesome video. What am i missing?

Oh, for sure Radiohead are better than the Arcade Fire, but you just dont go around seeing Arcade Fire fans acting all high and mighty cause their fav band is AF, as opposed to Radiohead fans, where once you meet them, they act as if they are better than you and have better taste in music cause they 'listen' to Radiohead. Who really cares? Im just judging by how people on this board post. The only exception to this was Delta and his AF love, that was just overboard and lame.

you're making generalizations that you can't back up at all...have you met all the Radiohead fans in the world? Have you even met one percent of them? Think not.

and as far as Arcade Fire goes, go to the AF forums and tell me no one considers them the best band in the world...not to say you wont find Radiohead fans like that on aTease as well...but saying that "no one ever called AF the best band in the world" is just ignorant.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-02-2008, 11:08 AM

HA!

i_like_cake530
01-02-2008, 11:12 AM

Seconded

MissingPerson
01-02-2008, 05:13 PM
and as far as Arcade Fire goes, go to the AF forums and tell me no one considers them the best band in the world...not to say you wont find Radiohead fans like that on aTease as well...but saying that "no one ever called AF the best band in the world" is just ignorant.

Naturally, a band's official forum is going to be quite pro- the band in question. I mean, if AF forum users didn't really, really like Arcade Fire, they'd... well, they'd probably go to some other band's forum.

"Why would they pay just to boo?"

kreutz2112
01-02-2008, 07:01 PM
I dont know who you are quoting, but a lot of people "pay to boo" that frequent this forum.

MissingPerson
01-02-2008, 07:28 PM
I Like Cake suggested that Arcade Fire fans do talk about them like they're the best band in the world, especially on the AF forum. Naturally, people who spend a lot of time on that forum are probably quite likely to be rather fond of the Arcade Fire, occasional inter-board spammers excepted.

So while technically true that statements of fanatical Arcade Fire zealotry are more common there than they might be elsewhere, it's sort of a given, seeing as that's where their fans will congregate.

EDIT: I just read this post, and man, I sound like a complete dick.

scoop49er
01-03-2008, 10:09 AM
radiohead has earned the right to be respected. the arcade fire is getting there, but not yet.

JustSteve
01-03-2008, 10:19 AM
anyone wanna link me to an upload of "neon bible"? haven't heard the whole thing yet and would like to know what all the fuss is about...

pm me.

ThomThom
01-03-2008, 10:24 AM

Wait, didn't you go see Bon Jovi?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-03-2008, 10:45 AM
radiohead has earned the right to be respected. the arcade fire is getting there, but not yet.

The next Arcade Fire Album needs to be their OK Computer or they will be written off...

Trick Loves The Kids
01-03-2008, 11:02 AM
Radiohead and Coldplay are the same band

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-03-2008, 11:04 AM

shameful....

ThomThom
01-03-2008, 11:26 AM

Trick, I normally love everything you post, but that was flat out stupid. Seriously? Coldplay?

Ritestyl
01-03-2008, 12:56 PM

Attention whore.

Melanie.Dawn
01-03-2008, 01:03 PM
boo Arcade Fire. Yay Radiohead.

pandaroo
01-15-2008, 10:29 PM
I'm gonna have to go with Bloc Party
seriously.

but really, I love both bands but Arcade Fire has two albums out and Neon Bible was ok. Radiohead have proven themselves to me time and time again w. live shows and music.
So, Arcade Fire

hatsandcats
01-15-2008, 10:45 PM
NO PLEASE GUYS

THIS iS THE THE iNTERNET

SERiOUSLY

MassiveChemicalPunk
01-16-2008, 07:44 AM
MBV is overrated

TomPaine
01-16-2008, 08:03 AM
MBV is overrated

I agree.

But that doesn't mean that Loveless and Isn't Anything aren't amazing albums.

MassiveChemicalPunk
01-16-2008, 08:05 AM
I agree.

But that doesn't mean that Loveless and Isn't Anything aren't amazing albums.

agreed

elChurro
01-16-2008, 09:11 AM
I can't think of any band that radiohead sounds like, Thom's lyrics are abstract enough to mean different things to different people, that's a major plus in my book.

The Arcade Fire, although good sounds exactly like 80's Springsteen, so if I had to vote on originality I'd pick the Arcade Fire on lack of it.

JSam67
01-16-2008, 09:28 AM
I can't vote on this one. These are two of my favorite bands, and I don't think either is overrated. I have never seen Radiohead live, and I got to see Arcade Fire twice this past year, but I know that if I'm lucky enough sometime this year, Radiohead live will be mindblowing too.

For a band that's overrated right now, and just glancing at an issue of Spin nearby, I'll say Against Me! because, album of the year over "Neon Bible," "Sound of Silver," "In Rainbows," etc.? Really?

PassiveTheory
01-16-2008, 09:55 AM
TVoTR and Bloc Party.

thestripe
01-16-2008, 10:08 AM
Neon Bible is overrated.

MissingPerson
01-16-2008, 12:06 PM
See, the Springsteen thing is obvious in something like Antichrist Television Blues - intentionally so, given the subject matter - but I don't think anybody in their right mind could argue that something like My Body is a Cage sound just like Springsteen, so I can't help thinking that criticism is coming from somebody who's read more reviews of Neon Bible than they have actually heard the damn thing.

And that Against Me thing... wtf was that about? I think both Radiohead and Arcade Fire snobs alike can be united by our utter bewilderment at that choice.

hatsandcats
01-16-2008, 12:14 PM
See, the Springsteen thing is obvious in something like Antichrist Television Blues - intentionally so, given the subject matter - but I don't think anybody in their right mind could argue that something like My Body is a Cage sound just like Springsteen, so I can't help thinking that criticism is coming from somebody who's read more reviews of Neon Bible than they have actually heard the damn thing.

And that Against Me thing... wtf was that about? I think both Radiohead and Arcade Fire snobs alike can be united by our utter bewilderment at that choice.

AGAiNST ME! ARE SO GOOD!

i SAW THEM WiTH SAGE FRANCiS BEST SHOW EVER!!

JSam67
01-17-2008, 01:01 AM

I don't understand any "utter bewilderment." I couldn't think of bands that I find overrated right now, and noticed the top 40 albums issue of Spin next to me. And I remembered how "utterly bewildered" I was that Against Me! had made the best album of the year, according to Spin. I guess I was basing over/underrated on critical acclaim, and they have garnered a lot of it this year. And I just don't get it. They were at Coachella, they were at Lollapalooza, they were underwhelming at best each time imo.

But what do you want, a massively popular band that's overrated? Foo Fighters?

Neutral Milk Hotel
01-17-2008, 03:33 AM
Daft Punk

hatsandcats
01-18-2008, 01:53 AM
Daft Punk

LOL

Sonicifyouwantit
02-11-2008, 05:54 PM
Daft Punk.

survey says? WRONG

Sonicifyouwantit
02-11-2008, 05:55 PM
neither of those, panic at the disco overrated by anyone thinking they are even slightly listenable.

hehe, this poll is perfect for the haters club, you can only vote by successfully hating one band or the other, theres no escape route such as a neither option.

Im abstaining from the vote

jonnypark
02-11-2008, 05:59 PM
Coldplay is radiohead dumbed down for top 40 radio

Memorial_07
02-14-2008, 07:08 PM
how could Arcade Fire be compared in who is overrated more?
They aren't as mainstream as Radiohead, their fans don't go apeshit just because they see a picture of the band and they aren't talked about in every magazine.

Radiohead wins by far.

boarderwoozel3
02-14-2008, 07:25 PM
MBV is overrated

I concur.

boarderwoozel3
02-14-2008, 07:26 PM
Who fucking cares? It's like pissing into the wind.

I concur.

psychoc&ndy
02-15-2008, 12:05 PM
both bands are amazing, but you have to admit, even if thom yorke/radiohead released an EP with edited sounds of the band jerking each other off, kids would call it "influential" and "groundbreaking". i guess that's a plus of being in a weird abstract and artsy band. anything you put out is genius

cansei de ser sexme
02-15-2008, 01:12 PM
I almost spit out $1.50 worth of my Frappuccino when I saw that pick.

either that is an expensive frappuccino or you have a very large mouth.

roscoemule
02-15-2008, 01:22 PM
Radiohead>Arcade Fire>.................................................. .a million other bands>Bloc Party>....................a million other bands>the Mars Volta

nationocean
02-15-2008, 01:39 PM
My Vote is for whoever your favorite band is..

They Suck and are overrated!

BillyCrystal
02-21-2008, 08:44 AM
these are two great bands, but let's face it: arcade fire hasn't been around long enough to deserve the status that some people grant them. like, their two albums are awesome, and if they stay on the track that they're on, they'll be rock legends, but only time will tell.

RienOneTexas
02-22-2008, 10:21 PM
Radiohead>Arcade Fire>.................................................. .a million other bands>Bloc Party>....................a million other bands>the Mars Volta

I agree, but... there should be a million other bands between Radiohead and Arcade Fire. To me this is a no brainer. Radiohead is exponentially greater than Arcade Fire and has greater influence and talent.

MissingPerson
04-21-2008, 06:50 PM
Wow, haven't seen this thread for a while. Random poll bumps, FTW!

quicksand
04-21-2008, 09:25 PM
WTF? I just saw this thread for the first time. Arcade Fire is underrated if anything. Radiohead is amazing, but they have some shitty material (Pablo Honey and select songs off some CD's). Kid A and OK Computer are flawless, but come on they aren't THAT good. In Rainbows is one of the most overrated albums I've ever heard people hype. Arcade Fire has 2 CD's and 1 EP, and of the 28 songs, I'd say 20 are fucking AMAZING. Plus their live show is unbeatable. If you've seen it, you know what's up.

MissingPerson
04-24-2008, 06:19 AM
I do think Radiohead are more overrated. They're still great, but they quality of their output's been... well, some of it just feels like coasting. Arcade Fire get almost the proportionate amount of hype. Radiohead had 33423,556 threads about the possibility of an appearance at Coachella, and... em... well, their live shows are good; they're great. But they don't leave people in the kind of state Arcade Fire do. Radiohead play, it's a Radiohead show. Arcade Fire play, it's OMFG, I wish I had grandkids so I could tell them about this.

BlackSteve0
05-01-2008, 07:43 PM
this thread is full of http://www.businessinnovationinsider.com/images/2006/02/Troll.jpg'ing

BlackSwan
12-17-2008, 07:55 AM
Radiohead isn't overrated, because the big deal people make about them is justified.

MissingPerson
12-18-2008, 07:56 AM
Dude, you're as predictable as I am.

coolhandluke
12-27-2008, 08:48 PM

I agree whole wholehearted-ly but those ten songs we're some of the best ever.

Radiohead is not overrated in any sense of the word. Ok Computer has become the best CD of the 90's (because Nevermind's impact resulted in pure shit bands) and Kid A is almost unarguably the best of this decade. Still most people know them as the band who did "Creep."

MissingPerson
12-27-2008, 09:14 PM
I can't imagine any other band out there getting the kind of foamy gush that Radiohead did for their pick-your-price thing...

Not that it was a bad idea - it was a cool idea. Nor was it a bad album - it was a great album. But in terms of ridiculously disproportionate hype, Radiohead have the unfortunate advantage of far more mainstream interest and name recognition than Arcade Fire have, or likely ever will have.

pancakespancakes
12-27-2008, 11:51 PM
Radiohead had 33423,556 threads about the possibility of an appearance at Coachella, and... em... well, their live shows are good; they're great. But they don't leave people in the kind of state Arcade Fire do. Radiohead play, it's a Radiohead show. Arcade Fire play, it's OMFG, I wish I had grandkids so I could tell them about this.

I know this an old post, but I really couldn't possibly agree more. This is a great post MissingPerson and I almost feel like sigging it (I just can't have such a dramatic sig... way to tamper with the mood). Radiohead are a great live act, that matches the greatness of their albums perfectly in the live setting. Arcade Fire's live show make you want to turn your life into something else. They make you want to hug strangers. They make you want to donate your life savings to charity. Arcade Fire is the only band out there right now who far and away creates an otherworldly experience in the live setting that enough else can replicate; only being there can make one understand. I love both bands, but in terms of live shows, Radiohead may be great but they're a completely different class. No one even comes close to touching Arcade Fire's live experience.

It's the only show I really feel obligated to tell my future grandkids about. That's all it comes down to here.

MissingPerson
12-28-2008, 06:39 PM
God, I'd do all sorts of unspeakably awful things for an Arcade Fire show just now.

If only they'd ask!

They won't though, the bastards.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/jill_valentine/AF%20General/stjohns.jpg

Radiohead show would be nice too though, I guess...

Smokenut
12-28-2008, 11:24 PM
question: who is more overrated radiohead or arcade fire?

answer: Steve Aoki

MissingPerson
12-29-2008, 05:45 AM
Oh it's a riddle!

You leave the wolf with the lettuce, and bring the goat over the river first, right?

RotationSlimWang
12-29-2008, 05:51 AM
I do think Radiohead are more overrated. They're still great, but they quality of their output's been... well, some of it just feels like coasting. Arcade Fire get almost the proportionate amount of hype. Radiohead had 33423,556 threads about the possibility of an appearance at Coachella, and... em... well, their live shows are good; they're great. But they don't leave people in the kind of state Arcade Fire do. Radiohead play, it's a Radiohead show. Arcade Fire play, it's OMFG, I wish I had grandkids so I could tell them about this.

You're a nutty mick, ya are. I'm curious as to when Radiohead started to feel like "coasting" to you exactly.

You're comparing a band that reincarnated The Beatles to a band that idolizes Bruce fucking Springsteen. I love me some AF and all, but these two ain't playing the same sport, honey.

thatfinkleygirl
12-29-2008, 06:19 AM
question: who is more overrated radiohead or arcade fire?

answer: Steve Aoki

pure genius, that is. not to mention very true.

MissingPerson
12-29-2008, 06:45 AM
In Rainbows has nothing really startling on it, does it?

It's great, it's a great album, it's just not the album anybody's gonna hold up in fifteen years time and say "This album changed MY EARS!" or anything. In terms of innovation, I can't help feeling like Amplive did more with those songs than Radiohead did. And I find it fairly telling that when Radiohead shows are rolling, the most animated discussion - here and elsewhere - is whether or not they played something rare, as opposed to whether or not they did something interesting with it. I don't feel any need to see Radiohead play live again; I've already seen what they do and I don't think they'll bring anything else to the table next time.

And I'm not saying Arcade Fire are necessarily a better band, or Radiohead a shitter one. They aren't the same sport, like you say; Why, it would be like comparing Cricket to Whirlyball. Radiohead's love is assured, there's no doubt about it. Hell, Win Butler's stated on more than one occasion that they made him want to make music in the first place.

But the question is which band is more overrated; I don't think any band on earth could possibly justify the level of critical reverence Radiohead carry around. Arcade Fire don't have nearly a high enough profile to generate the same amount of hype, they just don't have a sturdy enough foothold in popular culture. There's a good chance that in a decade or so, if they last that long, as Win kicks back in his giant Quebecan Ice Fortress, they might get to be that band,

But right now, no. For now, Radiohead have had far more time in the Winner's Circle to accumulate far more reverential self-perpetuating bullshit.

RotationSlimWang
12-29-2008, 06:51 AM
Startling? I dunno, I suppose it depends on your definition. The first time I listened to it it kinda stole my brain for two days. Videotape is probably among the most-likely-to-bring-me-to-tears-at-times songs ever for me. Lord knows lots of peoples felt differently, but for me In Rainbows was much more readily accepted as a brilliant work than Neon Bible.

I just don't think you can be overrated when you're the second best band of all time. This past year I finally got to see Radiohead live after having been cheated several times in previous tours, and my desire to see them again actually increased after the second show. AF is great, tons of energy and excellently crafted songs... but live Radiohead is fucking flawless.

RotationSlimWang
12-29-2008, 07:01 AM
And for the record, I don't actually think either one is particularly overrated. Except when trying to compare the one to the other. =)

MissingPerson
12-29-2008, 07:05 AM
Lord knows lots of peoples felt differently, but for me In Rainbows was much more readily accepted as a brilliant work than Neon Bible.

I actually agree with this completely, Neon Bible left me cold for quite a while longer than In Rainbows did, mainly because of Videotape and Nude, which I couldn't stop playing over and over again.

I do think Neon Bible is flawed, and I don't think those songs had justice done to them in recording process; but it is the one I'm still listening to.

RotationSlimWang
12-29-2008, 07:15 AM
I actually agree with this completely, Neon Bible left me cold for quite a while longer than In Rainbows did, mainly because of Videotape and Nude, which I couldn't stop playing over and over again.

I do think Neon Bible is flawed, and I don't think those songs had justice done to them in recording process; but it is the one I'm still listening to.

I'm intrigued by the notion that the recording process somehow did the material wrong. But I also submit that we should revisit the question of who's staying "startling" when AF hits their seventh album bathed in critical and commercial accolades. Or when they completely turn the recording industry on its head. Whichever comes first.

Game. Set. Muthafuckin' match.

MissingPerson
12-29-2008, 06:27 PM
Colour me pwned. :D

Re: The recording thing, yeah. I'm not usually one to pick up on the production of an album, but that album drives me fucking nuts sometimes. You can't quite get a grip on it. And that is their fault, they made a deliberate choice to make the whole album kind of murky and distant, but I wish they'd made some sharper choices about what needed to be heard and what didn't.

Miroir Noir really showed that up, to me. Seeing the bits and pieces of those songs come together just made it more apparent how many brilliant little ideas got completely buried in the mix. There's an awful lot going on in some of those songs, and most of it is wasted.

The Well & The Lighthouse is the most maddening example - it potters along well enough on the album, but Jesus, if it just had a bit of momentum, if you could pick out anything other than the percussion, what a monster it could be. There's a whole lot of weird fairytale shit going on in the background that you can't really hear unless you go looking for it.

Compare
SbtAqN0W8Dk

ykYkd6d7G08

Even with instrument problems and shitty youtube audio, you can hear the idea of the song better. Which is strong, the song itself is strong, but the recorded version just doesn't live the way it should. They have too much floating over it that they don't quite need, and I think they could have been benefitted from being far more sparing than they were. Being able to hear two violinists - or one dude playing a horn - can be better than having a whole section, if it presents what they're playing better.

(Antichrist Television Blues) is another one. It's a great fucking song. But they were far, far too polite with it when they recorded it. Live, it's got a bit of swagger, which is exactly what it needed. It's an angry song, man, it's alright to let your diction slide a little...*

Ironically, there's an instrumental electronic-ish version of Well & The Lighthouse at the end of Miroir Noir (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TOGPWUH9) that sounds remarkably like...well, like Radiohead.

* That's what she said.

Gribbz
07-22-2010, 11:42 AM
I know this an old post, but I really couldn't possibly agree more. This is a great post MissingPerson and I almost feel like sigging it (I just can't have such a dramatic sig... way to tamper with the mood). Radiohead are a great live act, that matches the greatness of their albums perfectly in the live setting. Arcade Fire's live show make you want to turn your life into something else. They make you want to hug strangers. They make you want to donate your life savings to charity. Arcade Fire is the only band out there right now who far and away creates an otherworldly experience in the live setting that enough else can replicate; only being there can make one understand. I love both bands, but in terms of live shows, Radiohead may be great but they're a completely different class. No one even comes close to touching Arcade Fire's live experience.

It's the only show I really feel obligated to tell my future grandkids about. That's all it comes down to here.

I like Arcade Fire a lot but this is just ridiculous.

amyzzz
07-23-2010, 09:22 AM
lolz

rasooli
08-03-2010, 12:43 AM
yea, its funny to see how much people worshipped Arcade Fire in 2008.

donkey sex
08-03-2010, 04:11 PM
if they died they'd be the new Nirvana or, on lower scale, John Lennon

rasooli
08-03-2010, 09:23 PM

doubtful

dantoro
08-03-2010, 09:54 PM
2 great bands. But clearly Radiohead is a much more developed entity. They span a longer distance of recording history and therefore should not be compared to a newer band. yes AF is in the overrated category because they are... Same can be said of RH but at least they have earned it.
If: 40 years from now you put each band's recordings side by side .THEN you would have a good comparison.

JebusLives
08-07-2010, 05:10 PM
Look, both bands are great but Radiohead is regarded as a bloody sacred cow around here. Yes, The Bends and OK Computer are classics. Kid A was pivotal, but its a lesser listen song by song, and their subsequent albums have never attained the hights they experienced over a decade ago. Again, they're a great band, but they aren't infallible. Overrated.

Conversely, Arcade Fire has tons of detractors around here. I will concede that Neon Bible was handed an easy pass by the music media. However, Funeral and The Suburbs are two of the best albums of the past decade, and deserve the praise they have received. Better than Radiohead's output during the same time period. Not as overrated.

boarderwoozel3
08-07-2010, 08:36 PM

doubtful

I was unaware that John Lennon was second fiddle to Nirvana (aka Kurt Cobain).

TomAz
08-09-2010, 01:32 PM
Conversely, Arcade Fire has tons of detractors around here. I will concede that Neon Bible was handed an easy pass by the music media. However, Funeral and The Suburbs are two of the best albums of the past decade, and deserve the praise they have received. Better than Radiohead's output during the same time period. Not as overrated.

I'm pretty sure I like Neon Bible better than either Funeral or The Suburbs. but I've only listened to The Suburbs like 3 times.

Mr. Fuzz
09-01-2010, 11:54 AM
Arcade Fire.

TomAz
09-01-2010, 02:09 PM
After three years of resisting, I have finally decided that the hype for AF is too much to bear, and I went ahead and voted. I like them, I like their music, I would gladly pay money to see them again. But jesus people.

Gribbz
09-01-2010, 02:13 PM
I have finally decided that the hype for AF is too much to bear, and I went ahead and voted. I like them, I like their music, I would gladly pay money to see them again. But jesus people.

This.

MissingPerson
09-01-2010, 04:30 PM
You know what, I think even Arcade Fire might agree at this stage.

ZzM-T1xkk1w

amyzzz
09-17-2010, 03:05 PM
They're like Coldplay in 2003.

JebusLives
09-17-2010, 03:38 PM
uhm, no.

Starraven
09-17-2010, 04:15 PM
You know what, I think even Arcade Fire might agree at this stage.

ZzM-T1xkk1w

Thank you. That is amazing.
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/1328/lolsk.jpg

MissingPerson
09-17-2010, 04:16 PM
Looking at Will Butler FTW.

S.I.A.F.U
12-09-2010, 11:49 AM
I realy don't like Raidiohead.

ng123
12-10-2010, 02:08 PM
the Mars Volta

woa hold up...

ng123
12-10-2010, 02:11 PM
obviously arcade fire..radiohead have been around since the 90's and have made the best albums of the decade...they haven't made one bad album..they live up to the hype...radiohead keep coming back with a new album and another reason they are one of the greatest bands of the decade....everyone is all hung up on the whole indie thing...MY VOTE IS RADIOHEAD....even though thom yorke looks kinda like a hobo

P.S. TEAM WAYNE COYNE....

rage patton
12-10-2010, 02:47 PM
Didn't Wayne Coyne take back what he said?