PDA

View Full Version : LETS HAVE A PUNK STAGE IN 2008.

JOE X
07-07-2007, 03:47 AM
I've been to Coachella for the last 4 years and must say I have had a fantastic time at each one. However I do find that most Indie bands are very nice and lack the aggression that their punk forefathers instigated 30 years ago. Punk is still alive especially in the UK and Europe. Check out REBELLION, a 4 day festival in Blackpool England. www.rebellionfestivals.com The cream of British punk will be there with some Euro and USA bands performing. So how about taking the "niceness" out of Coachella and giving it a harder edge next year?
www.myspace.com/bandthewall
JOE X www.myspace.com/johnhammondsafc

TomAz
07-07-2007, 07:05 AM
to what end?

Alchemy
07-07-2007, 07:08 AM
However I do find that most Indie bands are very nice and lack the aggression that their punk forefathers instigated 30 years ago.

I had no idea that punk gave birth to indie bands.

alyssak
07-07-2007, 07:40 AM
They better have Frenzal Rhomb.

brando4n82
07-07-2007, 08:41 AM
PUNK IS DEAD

Wheres the beef?
07-07-2007, 12:27 PM
Worst idea ever.

PassiveTheory
07-07-2007, 02:03 PM
Yes, Punk bands like Good Charlotte and +44...

That will improve Coachella's image VASTLY...

suprefan
07-07-2007, 02:08 PM
I've been to Coachella for the last 4 years and must say I have had a fantastic time at each one. However I do find that most Indie bands are very nice and lack the aggression that their punk forefathers instigated 30 years ago. Punk is still alive especially in the UK and Europe. Check out REBELLION, a 4 day festival in Blackpool England. www.rebellionfestivals.com The cream of British punk will be there with some Euro and USA bands performing. So how about taking the "niceness" out of Coachella and giving it a harder edge next year?

Oh, I am sorry Rage Against The Machine wasnt "hard" enough for you? Yeah or Tool, Wolfmother, Nine Inch Nails,The Blood Brothers, The Locust, Iggy And The Stooges etc etc just didnt do it for ya right?

Yeah "punk" has nto been represented like in a big way, but that doesnt mean they never wated to try it. It has to be a band that is accepting to the audience, it cant be like some random band alright kid? So ya know, be happy you get your genre specific festivals in the u.k. so shut up and be happy Coachella is not chock full of hard bands and that there is violenece. Do you wanna hear of some kid get demolished in the pit? Ok then...

betao
07-07-2007, 02:19 PM
Yes, Punk bands like Good Charlotte and +44...

That will improve Coachella's image VASTLY...

it'll probably get Blink 182 on the bill too! My favorite!*

* indicates extreme sarcasm

betao
07-07-2007, 02:22 PM
Oh yeah, about taking the "niceness" out of coachella...

Coachella is all about a friendly vibe, and like supre said, if bands like Tool, NIN, or Rage dont do it for you, I dont know what will.

oh, and American punk is alot different than UK/European punk; basically, American punk plays on MTV and/or Warped Tour.

MTV/Warped Tour is nothing like Coachella.

rage patton
07-07-2007, 02:39 PM
Coachella did get two "punk" acts this year. But they also each had that extra flaire that makes them stand out, and that why they got on there.
The Gogol Bordello were there because they have the energy of the CBGB era punks mixed in with tradition eastern balkan music. Also, I think Manu Chao put in a good word for them.
Against Me! were there this year because they used to sound different than most band bands. Up until their album "Finding a former Clarity" or some shit like they, all their songs were acoustic. However, they sounded more outraged at society and the government then most punks bands now a days. Their last two albums = shit though. Its all mainstream sounding, its pretty much lost its folk sound and they only use electric guitars now.

With that being said, I think Coachella is open to welcoming punk bands in the future. But they have to stand out. How about Tiger Army next year?

psychic friend
07-07-2007, 02:48 PM
just go to warped

suprefan
07-07-2007, 02:48 PM
just go to warped

My thoughts exactly

rage patton
07-07-2007, 03:16 PM
just go to warped

Warped doesnt even have a punk stage any more.
It has a ton a shitty emo bands, with a few good punk bands thrown in.

woogie846
07-07-2007, 03:22 PM
Warped Tour has a couple of bands I'd like to see (Fishbone, Bad Religion) but I don't know if I could live with myself knowing that I went to Warped Tour.

Gogol Bordello was my favorite of the weekend at Coachella and I thought Against Me! was a lot of fun. Reinventing Axl Rose kicks ass.

fatbastard
07-07-2007, 03:54 PM
Is punk still around?

UnicornsForBreakfast
07-07-2007, 04:08 PM
I dunno, I agree with Joe. Coachella is very mellow. A little too mellow. One or two "harderish" bands a year doesn't really cut it.

Keep in mind that Rage Against The Machine, Tool, Wolfmother, Nine Inch Nails,The Blood Brothers, The Locust, Iggy And The Stooges all got pretty good responces. That means people like it. If people like it, they should have more of it.

And way to jump to conclusions with the Blink 182 shit. The kid didn't mention anything like them. Warped tour isn't remotely punk anymore either. Bunch of assumers.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
07-07-2007, 05:02 PM
it'll probably get Blink 182 on the bill too! My favorite!*

* indicates extreme sarcasm

I had to sit through a good charlotte performance at a festival in Japan once...it...was...really...reallly....bad...what made it worth it was getting a good spot for Radiohead.....

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
07-07-2007, 05:04 PM

If you want an edge how about Coachella invites the great Merzbow and has him curate one of the tents...I would love that but I doubt 99% of everyone else would...better yet just reunite MBV and have Merzbow on before them...MBV could join him on stage and do one of their infamous noise meltdowns....

hangthedj112
07-07-2007, 06:17 PM
Merzbow would be sweet. I'd like to see some noise at Coachella.

roberto73
07-07-2007, 11:32 PM
So how about taking the "niceness" out of Coachella and giving it a harder edge next year?

Why not? If there's one thing I often wish, it's that Coachella would start to suck.

psychic friend
07-08-2007, 12:05 AM
Originally Posted by JOE X ------
So how about taking the "niceness" out of Coachella

Is he serious? or is that an attempt at humor?

Alchemy
07-08-2007, 08:10 AM
I dunno, I agree with Joe. Coachella is very mellow. A little too mellow. One or two "harderish" bands a year doesn't really cut it.

Keep in mind that Rage Against The Machine, Tool, Wolfmother, Nine Inch Nails,The Blood Brothers, The Locust, Iggy And The Stooges all got pretty good responces. That means people like it. If people like it, they should have more of it.

And way to jump to conclusions with the Blink 182 shit. The kid didn't mention anything like them. Warped tour isn't remotely punk anymore either. Bunch of assumers.

Coldplay, Damien Rice, Eisley, Sigur Ros and other really really not hard bands got good responces as well. Things are fine the way they are. Plus the fact that Coachella has reserved a hard band as a headliner the past 3 years should be enough.

mountmccabe
07-08-2007, 06:26 PM
I had no idea that punk gave birth to indie bands.

It kind of did, though. The punk revolution was as much a DIY revolution as a sonic revolution.

Post-punk and New Wave (and NWOBHM, but that's a different discussion) sprang from punk rock.

And the college/alternative rock of the 80s came from (or was) post-punk and New Wave.

Punk didn't quite give birth to today's indie (taken as a genre) but it was certainly part of the direct ancestral line.

rage patton
07-08-2007, 07:41 PM
You cant forget about where the punks came from though.

It goes full circle. Bands who were changing music were inspiring people like Joe Strummer and Joey Ramone. Bands like Television and Patti Smith. Now adays, people view Television and Patti Smith as sort of "indie" acts. So in a way, indie inspired punk.

On a side note, we should start a NWOMHM thread on this board. I wonder how well that would go over.

full on idle
07-08-2007, 07:48 PM
It kind of did, though. The punk revolution was as much a DIY revolution as a sonic revolution.

Post-punk and New Wave (and NWOBHM, but that's a different discussion) sprang from punk rock.

And the college/alternative rock of the 80s came from (or was) post-punk and New Wave.

Punk didn't quite give birth to today's indie (taken as a genre) but it was certainly part of the direct ancestral line.

My great great great grandparents came over on the boats from punk.

JOE X
07-09-2007, 05:06 AM
SO WHAT'S IT GONNA BE IN 2008, ANOTHER NICECELLA OR A BADCELLA?
I HEARD THAT OUR PSYCHIC FRIEND IS THE PERSON BEHIND HIREING SUCH ACTS AS LILLY ALLEN AND JAMES BLUNT AND NEXT YEAR SHE'S TRYING TO GET CONDY RICE TO GIVE US A BIT OF IVORY TINKLING ALONG WITH ELTON JOHN.

Alchemy
07-09-2007, 11:13 AM

Well that's true, but I think he meant indie bands as the independant little bands that go to Coachella. I mean, there were always those little D.I.Y. bands before punk, it's just that punk did it a lot and were more successful and doing it. I meant that a lot of indie bands don't necessarily have punk influence just because they are independant.

I HEARD THAT OUR PSYCHIC FRIEND IS THE PERSON BEHIND HIREING SUCH ACTS AS LILLY ALLEN AND JAMES BLUNT AND NEXT YEAR SHE'S TRYING TO GET CONDY RICE TO GIVE US A BIT OF IVORY TINKLING ALONG WITH ELTON JOHN.

You are very mistaken.

psychic friend
07-09-2007, 01:54 PM
THATS NOT NICECHELLA

UnicornsForBreakfast
07-09-2007, 02:09 PM

Dude, are you on drugs?

Alchemy
07-09-2007, 02:42 PM
THATS NOT NICECHELLA

By the way, I've been meaning to ask you. Can you book Genesis for 2008? Thanks. If they're busy or something, I can settle for a Phil Collins solo.

clarky123
07-10-2007, 04:01 AM

Joe....are you feeling ok?
I think the Punk Stage is a great idea and it was a bit Nicechella - but to be fair...we should have a Rock and Roll Tent too for twisting and stuff - to even things out!
Yes, bring Punk out somewhere on the Coachella site for even one afternoon and see what happens. But you do know the fans won’t be able to spit or throw beer cans at the bands because that just won’t be allowed at Coachella.
Also, this idea may mean sacrificing watching top acts like Willie Nelson and the Family Hillbilly, Coldplay and James Unt.

RotationSlimWang
07-10-2007, 04:31 AM

Yo--Elton John headliner? C'mon...

JOE X
07-10-2007, 07:40 AM
Joe....are you feeling ok?
I think the Punk Stage is a great idea and it was a bit Nicechella - but to be fair...we should have a Rock and Roll Tent too for twisting and stuff - to even things out!
Yes, bring Punk out somewhere on the Coachella site for even one afternoon and see what happens. But you do know the fans won’t be able to spit or throw beer cans at the bands because that just won’t be allowed at Coachella.
Also, this idea may mean sacrificing watching top acts like Willie Nelson and the Family Hillbilly, Coldplay and James Unt.

Clarky's right, I'm wasting my time. I guess I'll have to settle for another nice vacation in the Coachella valley with some great rocknroll and some shite as well. Pity it couldn't all be great though. Don't any of you go taking a peek at www.rebellionfestivals.com cos it's not nice but it's rocknroll. Don't want to mess up those lovely polo fields with spikes and leather now do we? There's no anarchy anymore. Bring on...........
LILLY ALLEN!!!!!!!!

RotationSlimWang
07-10-2007, 08:22 AM
Um, you have your festival by your own admission. This is a different festival. Are you over at the Bonnaroo boards bitching there too? What are you even complaining about?

No, sorry, we don't really want any shitty punk music. It's dead, it died a long time ago, and punks and hippies both equally need to get on with their lives.

clarky123
07-10-2007, 09:31 AM
Um, you have your festival by your own admission. This is a different festival. Are you over at the Bonnaroo boards bitching there too? What are you even complaining about?

No, sorry, we don't really want any shitty punk music. It's dead, it died a long time ago, and punks and hippies both equally need to get on with their lives.

No-one is bitching....lighten the fuck up!

RotationSlimWang
07-10-2007, 09:54 AM

^^^^^^
That is called bitching. It's also called horrible typing.

Speaking of which, what the fuck is "no-one?" Where in the hell did you pull that hyphen from?

Now quit your bitching about my bitching about your bitching, bitch.

UnicornsForBreakfast
07-10-2007, 09:25 PM
^^^^^^

Speaking of which, what the fuck is "no-one?" Where in the hell did you pull that hyphen from?

Uh oh. Someone forgot to take their midol.

clarky123
07-11-2007, 02:22 AM
^^^^^^

Thanks. You are a very funny guy - but you are not helping here. Did you actually go to Coachella? do you have any interest in music? or do you just like sticking your oar in? Please dont get personal and try to keep up with whats being discussed because this could end up being a very good thread.

RotationSlimWang
07-11-2007, 02:49 AM
I've been to a few Coachellas, and I am keeping up with what's being discussed, and I'm contributing to it--my contribution being your discussion needs to get fucked. Having a punk stage is about as relevant as having a boy band stage.

clarky123
07-11-2007, 03:01 AM
^^^^^^

Try to pull the correct quote in dumb-ass!

RotationSlimWang
07-11-2007, 03:17 AM
That was exactly the quote I intended, as it was the best example of the bitching I was originally referring to. Then you bitched about me bitching about his bitching. This is getting silly. Also, enough with the fucking hyphens.

clarky123
07-11-2007, 03:19 AM
That was exactly the quote I intended, as it was the best example of the bitching I was originally referring to. Then you bitched about me bitching about his bitching. This is getting silly. Also, enough with the fucking hyphens.

Can you post without swearing? Do you have Tourettes Syndrome?

JOE X
07-11-2007, 04:26 AM
OI! ROTATION WING THING, ON YE BIKE, YE TOSSER. JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING AT COACHELLA ISN'T RELEVENT. WILLIE NELSON AND HIS EXTENDED FAMILY OF HILLBILLIES? RELEVENT! BJORK? RAGE? CHILLIES? IT'S ALL FROM THE PAST. NOW IF YOU WANT SOMEONE RELEVENT THEN IT'S GOT TO BE
LILLIE ALLEN
YOUR JUST AFFRAID OF PUNKS COS THEY'RE NOT NICE YE GREAT BIG CUP CAKE. I'VE SEEN MORE RAGE AGAINST MY WASHING MACHINE. REBELLION IN A FEW WEEKS, GREAT.
HAVE A NICECHELLA.

JOE X
07-11-2007, 04:29 AM
GIVE IM WHAT FOR CLARKY!

clarky123
07-11-2007, 04:37 AM
OI! ROTATION WING THING, ON YE BIKE, YE TOSSER. JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING AT COACHELLA ISN'T RELEVENT. WILLIE NELSON AND HIS EXTENDED FAMILY OF HILLBILLIES? RELEVENT! BJORK? RAGE? CHILLIES? IT'S ALL FROM THE PAST. NOW IF YOU WANT SOMEONE RELEVENT THEN IT'S GOT TO BE
LILLIE ALLEN
YOUR JUST AFFRAID OF PUNKS COS THEY'RE NOT NICE YE GREAT BIG CUP CAKE. I'VE SEEN MORE RAGE AGAINST MY WASHING MACHINE. REBELLION IN A FEW WEEKS, GREAT.
HAVE A NICECHELLA.

Precisely my son!! I couldnt have put it better myself.

RotationSlimWang
07-11-2007, 04:45 AM
Um, hate to bust your balloons guys, but punks aren't hardasses anymore. You're just a different kind of poof in a different kind of makeup. Keep your bracelets and hair products across the pond, 'cause even when punk wasn't a joke Americans still did it better, harder, and meaner than you rentboys. Sorry, but it's true.

If there was a punk stage I'd be right there, glassin' all ye lassies in they fuckin' faces and handing out burst mooths to any cunt who fancied himself a hard man. =)

clarky123
07-11-2007, 05:48 AM
Um, hate to bust your balloons guys, but punks aren't hardasses anymore. You're just a different kind of poof in a different kind of makeup. Keep your bracelets and hair products across the pond, 'cause even when punk wasn't a joke Americans still did it better, harder, and meaner than you rentboys. Sorry, but it's true.

If there was a punk stage I'd be right there, glassin' all ye lassies in they fuckin' faces and handing out burst mooths to any cunt who fancied himself a hard man. =)

You mean like Avril Lavigne dont you! You fuking nonce!

clarky123
07-11-2007, 06:03 AM
Crikey…..Id hate to see mr RotationSlimWank getting wound-up at a Good Charlotte concert when the Mountain Dew ran out!
Probably wet myself (albeit with laughter!).

RotationSlimWang
07-11-2007, 06:15 AM
Ah, how I love the Welsh. Still fun talkers even though they've become our funny-accented little step children.

Shouldn't you be listening to Kings of Leon or one of the other incredibly mediocre bands that headline your supposedly important festivals?

I don't understand the Mountain Dew crack at all, but Avril and Good Charlotte are kinda exactly my point--punk has been corrupted. There's no point in going on trying to be "true" punks now 'cause you're all just doing it for fashion anyway. You might as well just go get yourself a whole nu rave outfit and hop on a lame-ass trend that's at least in its inception instead of one already long-since decayed.

You people actually still say "crikey?" That's adorable. I can't ever remember hearing that outside of DangerMouse cartoons.

clarky123
07-11-2007, 06:23 AM
you have no point lets face it! Lets have a Punk Stage at Coachella.....you dont have to go if it offends you so much - go and sell your gear somewhere else.

betao
07-11-2007, 08:45 AM
if they dont make more tickets, then i'd be for it. It'd be one less place I'd have to worry about, and that would mean less crowds at the other stages.

Alchemy
07-11-2007, 09:19 AM
What is so hard to understand about Coachella? It's not a punk rock festival. That's already in Warped Tour. Coachella is for people looking for electronic acts, nice indie bands, their occasional Lilly Allen/James Blunt guilty pleasure fix, 80s bands and reunions, alternative rocks bands, one hard or dark headliner, and only a small handful of punk.

Adding another tent or stage is a stupid idea. Did you guys not go this year? There was so much noise bleed this year. That little flower thing was even loud. A punk stage would be HORRIBLE.

rage patton
07-11-2007, 01:55 PM
A punk stage is a terrible, terrible idea. Pulling in a couple punk bands, isnt a bad idea at all.
How about some Billy Brag? Buzzcocks? Joan Jett? Rancid? NoFX?
Or some slightly punk spin off would work too. Aggrolites? Aquabats? Reel Big Fish? Flogging Molly? Tiger Army?
While on this topic... how about we get some Madness or The Specials? If either of those bands were there, I would pretty much cream my pants.

RotationSlimWang
07-11-2007, 02:04 PM
... did someone say Madness?

I might just change my thoughts on the matter.

This whole thread is silly anyway--there is only one themed stage and it's Sahara, having a punk stage when punk is probably the least represented genre at Coachella... well, yeah, that pretty much says it.

betao
07-11-2007, 08:55 PM
mm I love me some Madness

NIGHTBOAT TO CAIRO!!

clarky123
07-12-2007, 01:37 AM
Specials would do it. Still one of the best live acts Ive seen and thats still the case even nowadays minus Terry Hall.

JOE X
07-12-2007, 07:01 AM
LILLIE ALLEN!

JOE X
07-12-2007, 07:04 AM
lillie allan:yyablo

JOE X
07-12-2007, 07:11 AM
Did I say a punk stage? Sorry I meant a junk cage. Those garbage boxes were too small thys year. My eye sight's so bod I'm alwayz making thaiping errorz. Sorry I upset you guyz.
www.rebellionfestivals.com:sorry

JOE X
07-12-2007, 07:16 AM
Did I say a punk stage? Sorry I meant a junk cage. Those garbage boxes were too small thys year. My eye sight's so bod I'm alwayz making thaiping errorz. Sorry I upset you guyz.
www.rebellionfestivals.com
:sorry

rage patton
07-12-2007, 01:15 PM
... did someone say Madness?

I might just change my thoughts on the matter.

mm I love me some Madness

NIGHTBOAT TO CAIRO!!

Specials would do it. Still one of the best live acts Ive seen and thats still the case even nowadays minus Terry Hall.

There we have it! Madness and The Specials for Coachella '08!

hangthedj112
07-12-2007, 03:24 PM
Why has no one realize we spent all this time arguing over a post that was clearly spam advertising that shitty "rebellion festival"?!?!?!

Alchemy
07-12-2007, 06:33 PM
Do you think he succeeded?

JOE X
07-13-2007, 06:02 AM
NOT SPAM BUT REAL MEAT. I'M PLAYING GUITAR IN "THE WALL" AT REBELLION. EVER WONDERED WHAT IT'S LIKE TO PERFORM RATHER THAN SPECTATE? DREAM ON SUNSHINE. COME ON OVER AND SHARE SOME OF YOUR OPPINIONS WITH US. I'LL BY YOU A FEW STRONG BEERS THAT DON'T DO NOTHIN AT $7 A CUP.
:winkiss
LILLIE ALLEN FOR THE MAIN STAGE 2008!

RotationSlimWang
07-13-2007, 06:11 AM
Dude, you gotta get over your beef with Lily Allen already. It's called pop music. It's kinda ghey. Deal with it. There was certainly some way worse acts than lil' ol Lily. Besides, Lily's kinda a loud-mouthed bitch, which is sweet.

hybernaut520
07-13-2007, 06:41 AM
punk's not dead.... it just smells like that.
I'll weigh in on the debate and say punk is a fuggin fashion. If you tune your gituar it's indie, if you don't tune, it's punk.

clarky123
07-13-2007, 06:50 AM
I want Lilly Allen too.....but not in a singing sense.

RotationSlimWang
07-13-2007, 07:02 AM
If she can sing Alfie with it halfway in, I'll give her respect.

JOE X
07-13-2007, 07:23 AM
I'M OFF DOWN THE LANDOR FOR A FEW SWIFT PINTS>:)

JOE X
07-13-2007, 07:29 AM
punk's not dead.... it just smells like that.
I'll weigh in on the debate and say punk is a fuggin fashion. If you tune your gituar it's indie, if you don't tune, it's punk.

and if you don't put strings on your guitar it's art

Alchemy
07-13-2007, 09:05 AM
Lilly Allen isn't even that bad. I'm sure she's better than half the bands going to that Rebellion thing.

clarky123
07-13-2007, 09:08 AM
I take your point but if its only half thats still quite a good strike rate for Rebellion.

Alchemy
07-13-2007, 09:10 AM
Usually Coachella is 90% awesome.

kamikaze
07-13-2007, 03:48 PM
If she can sing Alfie with it halfway in, I'll give her respect.

ha.

rage patton
07-14-2007, 01:56 PM
I just found out Leftover Crack are playing at this Rebellion festival thingy.

I am right now imaginging Leftover Crack playing at Coachella. I think that would be one of the funniest things ever.

lowfront
07-15-2007, 12:19 AM
You know of course I didn't see lilly allen way too much going on while she was on but I really do like her album

I love the song alfie.

JOE X
07-16-2007, 07:42 AM
COME ON LETS HAVE THE DAMNED, STIFF LITTLE FINGERS, AND ROCK THE PLACE FOR ONCE. AND STOP SELLING PISS POOR BEER. YE CAN'T SMOKE HERE, GOTTA RECYCLE THIS GOTTA DO THAT ARGH FOR FUX SAKE. HE'S A VEGGIE SHE'S A VEGGIE, RAGE ARE VEGGIES BUT THEY EAT FISH.
NICECHELLA

clarky123
07-16-2007, 08:01 AM
I dunno Joe, Rage look too hard to be veggies, I would have thought they were the sort of guys who either kill their own food and eat it, or simply go around picking up and eating roadkill. Either way none of them look too well on the diet!

Alchemy
07-16-2007, 08:56 AM
Kings of Convenience for Nicechella 08'!

hangthedj112
07-16-2007, 10:36 AM
COME ON LETS HAVE THE DAMNED, STIFF LITTLE FINGERS, AND ROCK THE PLACE FOR ONCE. AND STOP SELLING PISS POOR BEER. YE CAN'T SMOKE HERE, GOTTA RECYCLE THIS GOTTA DO THAT ARGH FOR FUX SAKE. HE'S A VEGGIE SHE'S A VEGGIE, RAGE ARE VEGGIES BUT THEY EAT FISH.
NICECHELLA

WWWWWWWWAAAaiiiiittt

I thought punk was partly about supporting liberal causes like saving the environment and vegetarianism?

Oh wait no! You're just part of the piece of shit we sit around the mall with our cheep bear we stole from the convenience store and beat-up old people kind of punk? gotcha

I don't think I want too strong of beer or else I'll end up killing off far too many brain cells, and having an asinine opinion like yours.

betao
07-16-2007, 01:34 PM
when should the Nicechella lineup be released?

frozen pilgrim
07-16-2007, 02:11 PM
not to stick another oar in already crowded waters, but I can definitely see a few punk acts that could add something positive to the vibe of the festival. I don't, however, see the place for a designated stage or a massive, conscious influx of "harder" music. apart from the sahara, and the dj dome, you'd be hard pressed to find a unifying theme at any of the stages. also, punk doesn't mean (or doesn't have to mean) crust, hardcore, grindcore, thrash metal, or anything else that makes people want to emit guttural sounds (myself included). the level of aggression in music has little if nothing to do with its designation as punk or punk rock music. the damned are ten thousand times more punk than even bands like anti-flag, who are placed squarely in that genre in these modern times. in my eyes, joe strummer's major key heavy, very poppy solo work has a thousand times more punk oozing out of it per second than good charlotte.

I personally would love to see the damned or bad brains on the main stage around sundown. I could also picture, as a really strange but awesome happening, the misfits on the outdoor stage or even doing something really theatrical in the sahara. and by the misfits I of course mean the jerry only and dez show. (as in dez from black flag).

on a side note, it's not fair to tell proponents of "harder" music to go to warped tour, because for anyone with a shred of self respect, that festival is completely and utterly unattendable. the lineups have gone from bad to worse. my last year at warped tour, I saw a few decent bands. bad religion was awesome, flogging molly was great, and the bouncing souls were fun. but bands like coheed and cambria, as I lay dying, and in particular, good charlotte, ruined the day. I got my vengeance though. filled up my $4 water bottle with some hi-liter yellow festival grade piss, and let it fly at the stage, about 3/4 of the way through good charlottes set. broke clean open on the bass drum rim. long story short, warped tour and punk rock have little to nothing to do with each other.

the only thing I could see being successful or well recieved as a themed stage would be something more on the scale of what cyclecide had this past year. I think it'd be neat to have a vastly smaller stage devoted not necessarily just to punk, but to local artists in general. up and comers.

anyways, yeah. PF, my vote is for the damned. 'love song' echoing out over the mountains would be pretty epic.

PS: as a canadian, I would like to officially apologize for simple plan. I swear I don't know those arseholes, but I apologize for them anyways.

rage patton
07-16-2007, 02:47 PM
not to stick another oar in already crowded waters, but I can definitely see a few punk acts that could add something positive to the vibe of the festival. I don't, however, see the place for a designated stage or a massive, conscious influx of "harder" music. apart from the sahara, and the dj dome, you'd be hard pressed to find a unifying theme at any of the stages. also, punk doesn't mean (or doesn't have to mean) crust, hardcore, grindcore, thrash metal, or anything else that makes people want to emit guttural sounds (myself included). the level of aggression in music has little if nothing to do with its designation as punk or punk rock music. the damned are ten thousand times more punk than even bands like anti-flag, who are placed squarely in that genre in these modern times. in my eyes, joe strummer's major key heavy, very poppy solo work has a thousand times more punk oozing out of it per second than good charlotte.

I personally would love to see the damned or bad brains on the main stage around sundown. I could also picture, as a really strange but awesome happening, the misfits on the outdoor stage or even doing something really theatrical in the sahara. and by the misfits I of course mean the jerry only and dez show. (as in dez from black flag).

on a side note, it's not fair to tell proponents of "harder" music to go to warped tour, because for anyone with a shred of self respect, that festival is completely and utterly unattendable. the lineups have gone from bad to worse. my last year at warped tour, I saw a few decent bands. bad religion was awesome, flogging molly was great, and the bouncing souls were fun. but bands like coheed and cambria, as I lay dying, and in particular, good charlotte, ruined the day. I got my vengeance though. filled up my $4 water bottle with some hi-liter yellow festival grade piss, and let it fly at the stage, about 3/4 of the way through good charlottes set. broke clean open on the bass drum rim. long story short, warped tour and punk rock have little to nothing to do with each other.

the only thing I could see being successful or well recieved as a themed stage would be something more on the scale of what cyclecide had this past year. I think it'd be neat to have a vastly smaller stage devoted not necessarily just to punk, but to local artists in general. up and comers.

anyways, yeah. PF, my vote is for the damned. 'love song' echoing out over the mountains would be pretty epic.

PS: as a canadian, I would like to officially apologize for simple plan. I swear I don't know those arseholes, but I apologize for them anyways.

I dont think anyone here was calling Good Charlotte and Simple Plan punk. Thank god. I think people are past that. Ok, I am gonna sum up my thoughts on this quickly
1)Joe Strummer is amazing.
2)I get what you are saying about punk not always beeing about the sound. I completely agree.
3)Misfits at Coachella would be amazing. But ONLY if it is fronted by Glenn Danzig. The Damned would be fun too.
4)Warped Tour still is a fun festival. Sure there are only a few good bands each year, but there is still tons of other fun stuff to do.
5)My friend is cousins with the lead singer of Simple Plan. He is embarassed about it, but at the same time, he thinks its funny. We make of him relentless for that.
There we go. Any questions? Shoot.

roberto73
07-16-2007, 05:48 PM
COME ON LETS HAVE THE DAMNED, STIFF LITTLE FINGERS, AND ROCK THE PLACE FOR ONCE.

And yet, just a few posts ago, weren't you claiming that this year's lineup was old and irrelevant? Yes, I'm pretty sure this is you:

JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING AT COACHELLA ISN'T RELEVENT. WILLIE NELSON AND HIS EXTENDED FAMILY OF HILLBILLIES? RELEVENT! BJORK? RAGE? CHILLIES? IT'S ALL FROM THE PAST.

But hey, you're right: nothing says youthful, cutting-edge relevance more than a couple 30-year-old punk bands. Good point.

clarky123
07-17-2007, 08:26 AM
Think if you were following this you would have noticed that the claim of "Old and irrelevant" was in answer to some previous muck slingling. There are a few people on here Ive noted want to see the Smiths and the last time I saw them was in fact 23 years ago in Manchester (England!) funnily enough, we all kinda looked on them as a punk band at that point, so please can you clarify?

Alchemy
07-17-2007, 08:55 AM
Think if you were following this you would have noticed that the claim of "Old and irrelevant" was in answer to some previous muck slingling. There are a few people on here Ive noted want to see the Smiths and the last time I saw them was in fact 23 years ago in Manchester (England!) funnily enough, we all kinda looked on them as a punk band at that point, so please can you clarify?

All of you are missing the point. Would The Smiths play this Rebellion festival? Regardless if they are punk or not? The creator of this thread is obviously talking about a specific group of punk bands, not all punk bands. In a way, Willie Nelson is punk also, but that is not what he wants. The point is that bands that appear at festivals like the Rebellion festival should NOT have their own stage at Coachella, and that we need only a few of them to even go to Coachella in the first place. It doesn't matter how old the performers are, how loud or soft they are, etc... It just matters if they fit in at what Coachella is, what it is already established to be.

clarky123
07-17-2007, 09:16 AM
Firstly, I know what he is talking about because I drink with him and have to listen to this all the time. However, I do actually agree with you that one or two of the more salient bands would fit in well. Finally, The Smiths would have to re-form first and I think they would not play Rebellion, but if Morrisey managed to become friends again with Marr, Rourke and Joyce, I would not entirely discount a Coachella gig (cant see it myself though).

Alchemy
07-17-2007, 09:34 AM
Firstly, I know what he is talking about because I drink with him and have to listen to this all the time. However, I do actually agree with you that one or two of the more salient bands would fit in well. Finally, The Smiths would have to re-form first and I think they would not play Rebellion, but if Morrisey managed to become friends again with Marr, Rourke and Joyce, I would not entirely discount a Coachella gig (cant see it myself though).

I think the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is the key to the answer.

JOE X
07-17-2007, 09:44 AM
I'VE LOST INTEREST NOW. HEY CLARKY, ARE YOU GOIN DOWN THE PUB TONIGHT? WE CAN SINK A FEW. YEAH?

rage patton
07-17-2007, 01:25 PM
Please, stop talking in all caps.
IT DOESNT MAKE YOU LOOK PUNK ROCK!!!

paulb
07-17-2007, 01:34 PM
id love to see the offspring and Bad Religion at Coachella....

amyzzz
07-17-2007, 02:20 PM
Did anyone already say maybe we should have a daft punk stage? (cuz I'm too lazy to read the whole thing). :)

ficklecycle
07-17-2007, 02:33 PM
Did anyone already say maybe we should have a daft punk stage? (cuz I'm too lazy to read the whole thing). :)

I sure hope so.

rage patton
07-17-2007, 03:10 PM
Next year... its official!
3 NEW STAGES!
Punk Stage
Comedy Stage
and the most recent...
Daft Stage!!!

But seriously, Paulb, Ive seen Bad Religion in festival settings and in actual venues, they suit venues MUCH better.
As for the Offspring, Ive seen them in both, and they work equally well. I would love to see the Offspring there.

But I thought it was already decided? PF, have you guys booked The Specials and/or Madness yet?

betao
07-17-2007, 07:53 PM
problem with the daft punk stage is that it would conflict with the entire festival...

unless the daft punk stage/tent opened after the headlining act!

clarky123
07-18-2007, 01:46 AM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz