PDA

View Full Version : Near death experiences . . .

algunz
06-28-2007, 03:58 PM
Last night after a couple bottles of wine and a shared joint we decided to share near death experiences. One friend drowned surfing off the coast of Mexico, another stopped breathing when she was a baby, etc. My story is as follows:

I was roaming around Copenhagen by myself and decided to get a six pack of beer, pack my backpack with my journal and some cigarettes and go explore and play. I came upon a bridge that crossed the water at about 7 stories at it's highest point. Of course it seemed like a good idea to crawl up under the bridge to about 5 stories. There was a metal platform that was about 2 feet wide that folded back underneath the bridge. So I hung out feeling the cars vibrate above me and watching the boats ooze across the water below me. I drank the six pack, wrote in my journal, smoked some cigarettes and a joint and then I had to pee. So I did. Unfortunately a moment later when I decided I needed to get down, I forgot that the metal was now wet. I slid uncontrollably for a good 3 feet until I was able to grab hold of a piece of jutting metal. I would have fallen 5 stories to my death into the waters of Northern Europe and would have disappeared. Nobody would have known what had happened. GONE.

marooko
06-28-2007, 04:12 PM
ill hit this thread with my NDE's later tonight.

fatbastard
06-28-2007, 04:17 PM
Shit.

JustSteve
06-28-2007, 04:36 PM
a week after coachella '04 i was sleeping and woke up to take a piss. finished my business and went to flush the toilet. all of a sudden it felt like a sprinkler went off in my lungs. i was coughing up pure blood at an alarming rate, overall i probably lost about a cup of it. luckily my dad crashed at my place here in newport since it was the night of cinco de mayo and he had partied a little too much to drive home to long beach. so at 3 in the morning i begin screaming for help...he finally comes out of his room after what seems like minutes, running naked down the stairs toward me, an image i will never get out of my head! after showing him the blood everywhere he kinda figured i needed to go to the hospital. i ran out to the car, he ran up to get dressed. he comes out to the car, but forgot the damn keys. that was the scariest moment, thinking i was going to bleed out in my driveway, alone. he came back with the keys and we made the drive to hoag hospital, which was about 1/4 mile away. so we pull into the emergency entrance and i hop in a wheelchair and get rolled straight in through the back door, no fuckin' waitin' hours in the waiting room for me. the bleeding had stopped finally, but with each cough it would start to come up again, but not in the volume it was originally. at about 6am i took a $900 ambulance ride(fuckin' insurance wouldn't cover it since it wasn't an "emergency") up to my normal hospital in long beach, i have a lung disease that requires multiple hospitalizations a year, and spent a couple weeks in there. the morning after all this drama they came into my room to put a picc line in my arm for i.v. meds. the damn nurse hit my artery and blood started spurting out...i told her that i didn't really need to see anymore blood coming OUT of my body. the hardest thing to hear from the docs was that if it happens again and doesn't stop on its own there isn't really anything they can do to stop it unless i get into an emergency room within minutes.

end

breakjaw
06-28-2007, 04:41 PM
i didn't really need to see anymore blood coming OUT of my body.

http://imageigloo.com/images/9602BT-thatswhatshesaid-gallery-2193.jpg

Mr.Nipples
06-28-2007, 05:09 PM
well played break...well played...

some vaginal bone almost impaled me through the eyeballs upon delivery(it did fuck up my vision though)......that happened twice actually...then there was the time i wasnt paying attention and nearly got flattened by a bus...then theres the time i got hit by a car...then theres the time i was almost shot...then theres the time i cracked my head open playing hockey...that really sucked...and the time i nearly got ran over by a tanker on the delta...

theburiedlife
06-28-2007, 05:25 PM
I passed out in a shower, thats as close I get to dying.

rage patton
06-28-2007, 06:27 PM
Does out of body experiences count? Or is that completely different?

algunz
06-28-2007, 06:38 PM
I guess it depends on the circumstance.

tessalasset
06-28-2007, 07:14 PM
I passed out in a shower, thats as close I get to dying.

i think about that every time im in the shower cause we don't have a shower mat. not passing out, but slipping and falling and hitting my head on the porcelain.

Good Days Last
06-28-2007, 07:17 PM
Where's Vinyl.

He just had one.

J~$$$
06-28-2007, 07:24 PM
I had a little asian pimp pull a gun on me in Oahu. Almost broke my neck snowboarding. Almost fell of a rock face climbing in boulder. Had a gasoline leak in a car, in the dead of winter on the home from a greatful dead show and passed out. One other thing I dont care to discuss here.

John Peel is My Co-pilot
06-28-2007, 07:38 PM
Myself and a couple of buddies were looking at flats to rent just after we left college. We found an ideal place, right in the heart of Edinburgh's Cowgate (a big student bar hangout).
The place was heated, big enough for all of us to get our own bedroom, and, best of all, directly opposite a great bar.

The only pisser was the fridge, this big old 50's style bow-fronted deal. Inside it was literally furry with mold - just gross! In retrospect it would probably have taken an hour with some hot water and a pair of rubber gloves and we'd have been right as rain.

Not for us lads the drudgery of domesticity - no, sir. That would impinge upon some drinking time, so we turned down the flat and opted for another, less great, more expensive place a couple of miles away.

Six months later, 7am, one of the underground Victorian gas pipes cracks and the entire fucking building blows up. 3 student nurses killed, but had it been during college the carnage might have been even worse.

So, if you like, my aversion to home cleaning saved my life...

jackstraw94086
06-28-2007, 08:10 PM
my condom broke when I was banging yablo.

ThomThom
06-28-2007, 08:17 PM
I was robbed at gun point by some Greek guys at an ATM in Astoria, NY like 2 years ago. I was also robbed by one of those Mexican drifters on the outskirts of Tiajuana/Rosarito, Mexico with a machete like 6 years ago.

menikmati
06-28-2007, 08:19 PM
god...what part of the day was it when you were at that ATM?

algunz
06-28-2007, 08:20 PM
Being robbed at "machete point" is like a scene from From Dusk 'til Dawn.

ThomThom
06-28-2007, 08:25 PM
god...what part of the day was it when you were at that ATM?

Somewhere around 4am...I know I fucking asked for it

ThomThom
06-28-2007, 08:26 PM
Being robbed at "machete point" is like a scene from From Dusk 'til Dawn.

Yeah it was pretty fucking surreal

denies the day
06-28-2007, 08:57 PM
Yeah it was pretty fucking surreal

Aw come on, man. I wasn't really gonna hack you up.

corbo
06-28-2007, 09:26 PM
well heres my most recent one. This was a few months ago...
my friends threw a house party to promote themselves as djs.
several members of two rival gangs decided to show up...as the
night went on they kept staring each other down, bumping into
each other... and cursing at each other...all this in between the crowd
that danced..(they might have "leaned like a cholos" i dont recall i was wasted by that time).
anyway things escalated into a fist fight between two rival cholos
soon enough chairs were flying...and they were going at it
MANO A MANO.
anyway i decided to take my ass to the back-house where a little mini bar was setup and continued drinking while they fought outside. a minute later i hear gunshots.
( POP* POP* POP POP*) people came in SCREAMING into the backhouse
and dropped to the floor.

as my friend, who was right by one of the guys who got shot, recalls..several cholos had rushed to their cars to get their guns. the first one with a gun went up to his rival and shot him several times in the chest.

things stayed quiet for a while and then MORE gunshots...it was a FUCKING shootout in the backyard!

once things were quiet for about 5 mins. everyone went outside shocked and confused. i saw one guy on the ground...and said said "screw this...im going home....so my friend 'cabeza' and i decided it would be best to get our asses home before anything else happened...we walked out to the street...another body on the ground and more fighting....police had barricaded both street exits by now...so 'cabeza' and i were walking back home around 2 or 3 am. luckily a friends spotted us walking in the street and gave us a ride...

but yeah ...i couldve been shot. good times.

phoenixsky
06-28-2007, 09:29 PM
Manny, didn't you have a car come soaring toward your dome? I'm pretty sure that qualifies.

As for me, I had this dude pull a gun on my friend after we declined to give him a ride after a night of dancing. We were in my car outside the club when he came up on the passenger's side. I'm pretty sure we could have died even if we had been dumb enough to give him a ride.

corbo
06-28-2007, 09:34 PM
my other near death experiences come from my childhood. i grew up amidst the civil war in el salvador...so i saw gunfights, air assaults, and bombs explode.
i dont remember much...but the most memorable experience was watching
a chopter shoot down some FMLN revels a couple of blocks from my grannys house in the middle of the night. the gunfire was bright and loud.

miscorrections
06-28-2007, 09:51 PM
some kid almost accidentally drowned me in a pool because he couldn't swim and for some reason thought that tiny seven year old me was akin to a life preserver.

other than that my life has been fairly placid. there was an instance in 10th grade when a kid almost shot up a classroom opposite mine, but "almost" and "opposite" don't really count for a near death experience.

PotVsKtl
06-28-2007, 09:59 PM
One time I woke up driving in the forest.

All That I Am
06-29-2007, 12:09 AM
THE BLACKHOLE SUN EXPERIENCE

Some friends and I all piled into my '91 mitzubishi Precis
http://img.shopping.com/cctool/PrdImg/images/pr/177X150/00/01/4a/61/e0/21651936.JPG
Yeah i know it sucks!
and decided to go out of town, I had just quit drinking four months prior and decided to stop smoking that week. I was driving kinda wild and we were in the left hand lane and needed to cross two lanes to get into the right hand lane. So i speed up and slip into the middle lane passing a white truck that is driving too slow in the fast lane theres a green sedan slowing in the middle lane and i move over into the slow lane. Now as soon as i move into the right hand lane i see a red truck about a quarter mile up the road stalled on the shoulder, as i approach the truck doing like 80 the car pulls into traffic going five miles per hour, I slam on the brakes and a crash is imminent, my tires are screeching and my car starts to fish tail, the passenger side is gonna hit the back of his car hard, so in a desperate attempt I punch the gas and the car just barely misses the red truck, but now i'm on a collison course with the sedan and the white truck i just passed, I jerk the wheel hard right and in some shit you only see on speed racer my curves between the other two cars and i end up in the middle lane with out a scratch. All three cars safely made it in two lanes. My friends and I were all stunned and we hooted and hollared and I quickly decided that I needed a drink and a smoke.

Mr.Nipples
06-29-2007, 12:28 AM
Some friends and I all piled into my '91 mitzubishi Precis
http://img.shopping.com/cctool/PrdImg/images/pr/177X150/00/01/4a/61/e0/21651936.JPG

hahahaha...

All That I Am
06-29-2007, 12:56 AM
yup

fatbastard
06-29-2007, 04:32 PM
my other near death experiences come from my childhood. i grew up amidst the civil war in el salvador...so i saw gunfights, air assaults, and bombs explode.
i dont remember much...but the most memorable experience was watching
a chopter shoot down some FMLN revels a couple of blocks from my grannys house in the middle of the night. the gunfire was bright and loud.
http://www.jcss.ne.jp/~nosweat/jjwoods/salvador/salvador04.jpg

joppy-slow
06-29-2007, 09:20 PM
hypothermia (walked 6 miles back from Kings Peak, highest mnt. in UT, in a snow storm during the middle of July in shorts and long sleeved t-shirt)

cliff jumping (lake powell. 80 ft cliff. how fuqing stupid was i? very.)

od on oxycontin (again i've learned not to take life for granted anymore)

joppy-slow
06-29-2007, 09:25 PM
a week after coachella '04 i was sleeping and woke up to take a piss. finished my business and went to flush the toilet. all of a sudden it felt like a sprinkler went off in my lungs. i was coughing up pure blood at an alarming rate, overall i probably lost about a cup of it.

i remember the first time having a kidney stone, pissing blood. anytime you have blood coming from parts of your body that you are not accustomed to, you wonder if you are dying. coughing up blood sounds miserable and scary..

vinylmartyr
06-30-2007, 11:48 AM
I almost died at coachella. I am still in shock. I feel like I am in a dream.

atom heart
06-30-2007, 11:49 AM
Are your legs in better working order now?

vinylmartyr
06-30-2007, 11:52 AM
Yeah they are getting better. I walk without a walker now. I walk all crazy though. I have to swing my arms a lot to make sure I stay balenced. I hope I will be walking normal in 2 months. I am starting to get some movement back in my left foot that has not responded since I oded.

RotationSlimWang
06-30-2007, 12:13 PM
Haha, yeah Vinyl, where the fuck have you been for this thread?

vinylmartyr
06-30-2007, 12:16 PM
I am in a sober living in Cheviot Hills (west LA) that does not let me get online often. I miss you fuckers. They make fun of me for chatting on the message board. Have we met? I am jeff.

i_like_cake530
06-30-2007, 01:04 PM
I am in a sober living in Cheviot Hills (west LA) that does not let me get online often. I miss you fuckers. They make fun of me for chatting on the message board. Have we met? I am jeff.

he is LGM

RotationSlimWang
06-30-2007, 01:17 PM
Hah, oh yeah, sorry for not filling you in on that, Jeff. Although actually I'm not LGM--he's dead until 12/21/07. Now is the age of Rotation Slim.

canexplain
06-30-2007, 01:38 PM
I don't know .. I think there is a difference between a near death experience and almost dieing .... I have been in situations where I could have died ... 40 foot waves on the north shore that almost did me in ... like someone said at lake Powell , driving off 60 foot cliffs just for fun not thinking if you hit the water wrong, dead ...... too many drug things that it was just me being stupid .... being at the back of a of a c130 doing things in the back with the back drop opening, not thinking that if I made a wrong move, fall out and be dead (the original mile high club) ...... but near death ... humm more then once ... day in a life .. I think the longer you live .. the more you have ... some are lucky, some not ...I remember my mom telling me, I had some vein, growing around my windpipe .. they said I would only live to be 6 years old .. I would wake up each morning blue, no blood to what I needed ... but stay strong, after all we have to stay around to listen to the tunes lol ...... so I consider every day, a bonus ..... cr****

vogina
06-30-2007, 01:44 PM
I was robbed of a cigarette at knife point @ street scene last year.. the closest thing i have near death besides doing lots of different drugs in one sitting...

...but i have had plenty of dreams of near death experiences and god dam those thing feel so real.. i am so happy to wake up, and its funny because somewhere in my sub conscious i know i am dreaming, but the dream just goes on and a lil part of me is praying to wake up.. weird, but iono...:spam

John Peel is My Co-pilot
06-30-2007, 06:52 PM
I was robbed of a cigarette at knife point @ street scene last year.. the closest thing i have near death besides doing lots of different drugs in one sitting...

...but i have had plenty of dreams of near death experiences and god dam those thing feel so real.. i am so happy to wake up, and its funny because somewhere in my sub conscious i know i am dreaming, but the dream just goes on and a lil part of me is praying to wake up.. weird, but iono...:spam

I'm confused. Was the near death experience the knife, or the close call by not smoking the cigarette?

:thu

vogina
06-30-2007, 11:42 PM
I'm confused. Was the near death experience the knife, or the close call by not smoking the cigarette?

:thu

:rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

i_like_cake530
06-30-2007, 11:42 PM
:yyablo

sonofhal
06-30-2007, 11:46 PM
I drowned when i was taking swimming lessons as a kid. I was holding a floating aid to help me and it slipped out of my hands while i was in the deep end. A lifeguard had to resuscitate me.

My first memory when coming back to consciousness was my brother and some girl arguing over who saw me drowning first.

I also stopped breathing as a baby, but have absolutely no memory of that. (my mum just happened to be 100 yards away from a hospital at the time - talk about convenient)

breakjaw
07-01-2007, 04:16 PM

Does a guy named Larry work there?aka Scary Larry?If so tell him I said Hi.I'm truly glad to hear you are doing better also.

comiddle
07-01-2007, 04:59 PM
I was out hiking in the mountains several years ago with some friends. The path looked to have forked, so I went left, my friends all went right not really paying attention. About 20 feet in the path started to slope towards the cliff at an alarming angle. I turned around, slipped and slid about 6 feet down and wound up perched on a tree jutting out over a fall of several hundred feet into this gorgeous green lake. If that tree hadn't have been there I would have definitely slid over. I sat there for about 20 minutes before I was helped up. It was a killer view though.

That's about as close as I recall.

disgustipated
07-02-2007, 12:00 AM
driving off 60 foot cliffs just for fun not thinking if you hit the water wrong, dead

driving?

Holy shit! James Dean.

My first memory when coming back to consciousness was my brother and some girl arguing over who saw me drowning first.

and this made me spit a sauv blanc through my nose.

mozabilly54
07-02-2007, 07:27 AM
Driving back, Sunday night from Coachella this year on Sunday night/Monday morning at 3am, my boyfriend and I were on the 15 going back to Vegas and all of a sudden we saw headlights coming in our direction, in our lane! Some dumb ass was driving on the wrong side of the freeway. We cought it just in time and swerved out of the way, the guy kept going, like nothing happened. It was soooo scary.

algunz
07-02-2007, 02:55 PM
This is why we shouldn't allow Nicole Richie on the roads anymore.

miscorrections
07-02-2007, 02:59 PM
i was getting off the freeway once and some asshole came DRIVING UP THE OFFRAMP STRAIGHT AT ME.

how do you make the decision to treat an offramp as an onramp? i thought we were going to have a head-on collision and at least be severely injured.

bballarl
07-02-2007, 06:50 PM
The only thing I can think of that would count as a near death experience was like that. My dad and I were driving to the doctor's late at night because my ear felt like it was exploding and some guy was driving on the wrong side of the road, very fast, straight at us. My dad swerved and somehow the dude only took off our license plate. We pulled into a parking lot and the dude took off. He had a young kid in the back. Luckily no one was hurt, but it could have been terrible.

algunz
04-22-2008, 04:13 PM
Bump.

I was searching something else and this thread came up. Some good stories in here. Enjoy and please share.

braundiggity
04-22-2008, 04:42 PM
When I was 4, I used to love piggy back rides, but my mom was sick of giving me them. She was leaning over doing the laundry, and I decided to run and jump on her back without telling her.

She stood up as I jumped and I fell back, onto my head.

Next thing I remember is a man in a white suit holding out his hand to help me up. Except that apparently never happened. My mom took me to the hospital.

Seriously. Gets weirder to think about the older I get.

algunz
08-06-2008, 10:52 PM
Haven't had any lately, but would love to hear new stories.

Pixiessp
08-07-2008, 12:24 AM
I was riding on a really cool dirt trail by UCSB with my brand new mountain bike and my friend decided it would be cool to see if we could scale what looked to be a small hill. well this hill was at a weird angle and she was able to make it but i just could not get up enough speed and I turned over and fell into a ditch on my back. my friend ran over to me to see if I was ok.the look on her face was one of horror.she told me to look to my left and there,inches from my prone body, was a long jagged pole jutting straight up from the ground. if i had fallen just a few inches to the left i would have been impaled.

frozen pilgrim
08-07-2008, 12:29 AM
this is an intense thread.

I once fell off a cliff in africa when I was like ten... maybe 60-80 feet into a gulley, luckily the tide was in so I went through a few feet of water before hitting wet sand. if the tide was out, I would have landed on bare sand covered in sea urchins. not nearly as receptive or forgiving to a high-speed body

PJandBompton
08-07-2008, 02:33 AM

are you serious? at Coors? or in the parking lot? what the fuck

chairmenmeow47
08-07-2008, 08:31 AM
am i really the first to question why this is in the music lounge?!

i have not had an NDE. i have had many brushes with death though; my friends joke that i'm like charlie from lost.

when i was 6, my first friend ever was like 9 or 10 and lived down the street. our neighbor would let us use their basketball hoop while they were gone. so he was playing basketball and i was walking around on those plastic fischer price skates you had to strap on over your shoes. well, we started arguing about what type of floor a skating rink called great skate had. i said tile, he said wood. turns out it's something called "orange ice", but it looks like tile so at 6 i'd say i was right.

well, i guess this really pissed him off so he threw me to the ground and started choking me yelling "it's wood!" until my mom heard, came out and told him to get the hell off me. we were grounded from each other for life. i feel so bad though, he was just a kid with abusive parents. to this day he can't even walk to my parent's door with his little girl on halloween because he's so ashamed :(

-------------------------------------------------

also, when i was about 10 or 11 i went to a resort in colorado with my parents. it was a three story building, and the bottom floor had a jacuzzi. my parents were on the 2nd floor watching tv. i was playing int he jacuzzi and all of a sudden i tried to get above the water, but i was stuck. my hair had gotten sucked into the drain. i kept trying to reach my head above water, but no luck. somehow, i found the drain for the tub with my foot so i kicked that, but it takes like an hour to fully drain the tub, so it didn't really help right that second. somehow i pushed and tugged hard enough to poke my mouth through and scream for my parents. thank GOD they heard me. they came pounding down the stairs and ran over to hold me above water until the spa could drain. i remember after it finally drained enough to do something about the hair, my mom was on the phone with maitenance asking for a pair of scissors to cut my hair when my dad finally got it out and i was safe. and people wonder why i'm not very aquatic, lol...

while hiking i've also had my dad literally dive on me to get out of the way when my cousin tripped on a boulder and it started rolling towards me indiana jones style. i have a few more, but those are the most interesting.

SFChrissy
08-07-2008, 09:50 AM
Does out of body experiences count? Or is that completely different? I think that's more of a spiritual experience.

I have not had a near death but I have had 2 outer bodies...Gnarly stuff!!!

locachica73
08-07-2008, 12:14 PM
I nearly drowned 3 times as as kid, twice in a pool and once when my dad's girlfriends daughter held my head under water cuz she didnt like me. So even to this day I can't jump in water without plugging my nose. Whenever I get water in my nose I freak out. And if someone is fuckin around in the pool and holds me under I freak out.

Kali27
08-07-2008, 12:40 PM
When I was growing up we use to go on these camping trips to the Kern river every summer with all the neighbors and friends we grew up with...

The adults always went down on intertubes and we as kids were not allowed... there was a smaller rapid that ended right by our campsite. Well, when I was about 12, one morning the adults all left to go up the river and I snuck away from the couple adults that didn't go with an intertube that had a bottom, determined to go down at least that last little set of rapids... well, after hiking up the river a lil, I got in where it seemed calm... (that year just happened to be a record rainfall year so the rapids were way stronger than at first glance)... I was having fun and doing good until I went over a large rock, flipped, and got pulled into the current underneath. The intertube had flipped and since it had a bottom it was suctioned down with me trapped underneath, totally unable to swim or even move against that current... So after what feels like minutes and water totally going into my lungs, someone's older cousin jumped in to get the intertube and find me... once the tube was moved I popped up and he managed to help me get through the rest of the rapids... I stayed out of scary water for a long time...

Memorial_07
08-07-2008, 01:49 PM
doing a front flip and landing on my neck and hitting my spine (like i was folded up) and i couldn't breathe for 5 minutes.
Shit hurt.

Coming back from a show at the Showcase theatre in Corona in March, my brother, me and two other people were in the car.
I was asleep and in the right side backseat and it is 1:00 a.m.
when i woke up my brother told me that a car going 120 behind us in the same lane came up on us and my brother swerved all the way to the far left lane on the freeway as the car going 120 kept going in the same lane. No lights on.
If the car had hit us, I would've been the first to die.

rage patton
08-07-2008, 02:02 PM
When I was 10, I think, my family decided to do a roadtrip to Winnipeg, to see some of our friends. While in Saskatchewan, we were kind of in the middle of nowhere and we were tired, so we parked in a parking lot to sleep. We cracked open the windows a bit, to let some airflow in. At like, 3 or 4 in the morning a god forsakenly loud train came roaring by, wakings us all up. I looked over, and noticed my little sister, who was 2, had blood all over her and blood was running out of her nose at an alrming rate. I dont remember the details after this exactly, but we got her cleaned up and went to a doctors. When we were talking to the doctor and told him about the train, he looked at us very puzzled and aksed us again, EXACTLY, where we were. We told him and he said to us " That train track hasn't been used in over 20 years." However, if we hadn't have been woken up by the train, my little sister could have bled to death in her sleep.

Not my life, but a very cool story none the less. I still wonder what it is that woke us up. Because I swear I heard and saw a train...

Memorial_07
08-07-2008, 04:40 PM
When I was 10, I think, my family decided to do a roadtrip to Winnipeg, to see some of our friends. While in Saskatchewan, we were kind of in the middle of nowhere and we were tired, so we parked in a parking lot to sleep. We cracked open the windows a bit, to let some airflow in. At like, 3 or 4 in the morning a god forsakenly loud train came roaring by, wakings us all up. I looked over, and noticed my little sister, who was 2, had blood all over her and blood was running out of her nose at an alrming rate. I dont remember the details after this exactly, but we got her cleaned up and went to a doctors. When we were talking to the doctor and told him about the train, he looked at us very puzzled and aksed us again, EXACTLY, where we were. We told him and he said to us " That train track hasn't been used in over 20 years." However, if we hadn't have been woken up by the train, my little sister could have bled to death in her sleep.

Not my life, but a very cool story none the less. I still wonder what it is that woke us up. Because I swear I heard and saw a train...

that's a pretty scary story.

betao
08-07-2008, 08:42 PM
I guess this is the closest I have to share for.

when I was around 8 or 9 years old, I was living with my mother after my parents separated. We were staying in a small apartment for a few months, and it was right next to a Friendlies restaurant. So one night, we went there for dinner, it wasn't very crowded, and our server was a cool guy.

The next morning, we turned on the news to find out that about an hour after we had left, the restaurant was robbed and our server had been shot and killed.

Scary to think it could have been us as well.

Somewhat Damaged
08-07-2008, 09:06 PM
Nothing's happened to me directly, but my dad died when he was 2 years old. Drowned in a community swimming pool. An uncle dove in and resuscitated him. Had he not, I wouldn't be here.

Then there were all the suicide attempts, but it's not like I wasn't asking for it.

algunz
08-07-2008, 10:16 PM

Why was your sister bleeding like that? What was wrong? That's some creepy shit.

algunz
08-07-2008, 10:18 PM
Then there were all the suicide attempts, but it's not like I wasn't asking for it.

Ok my inquiry may seem morbid and you need not go any further, but my fascination with these things runs deep. How many attempts and what do you mean by asking for it?

rage patton
08-07-2008, 10:55 PM
Why was your sister bleeding like that? What was wrong? That's some creepy shit.

I was like 10 or something when this happend, so how it got stoped and cleaned up is fuzzy to me. The doctor said it was something like lack of oxygen in the car... but we did have the windows cracked open. It is a creepy story indeed, but a surreal one as well I think.

algunz
08-07-2008, 10:58 PM
How interesting. Why would lack of oxygen cause bleeding like that?

No worries rage, it's rhetorical. Unless someone out there has an answer.

rage patton
08-07-2008, 11:16 PM
Im not a doctor... but I think its that mixed with genetics. I get nose bleeds VERY easily. If get hit with a small amount of force on the nose, I bleed instantly. Also, when my body temperature changes really fast, my nose starts to bleed as well. But my nose has never bled like hers did.
But yes, actually, if someone can tell my when a lack of oxygen could cause a nose to bled, I would apreciate it.

frozen pilgrim
08-08-2008, 06:14 AM
lack of oxygen-surface cells in airways start to die.
hey yeah, didn't you get a nosebleed in the campground or something? or am I imagining that? I remember you mentioning it in some context, anyways

sikiboy
08-08-2008, 10:01 AM
Week Before Coachella...

chairmenmeow47
08-08-2008, 10:17 AM
Nothing's happened to me directly, but my dad died when he was 2 years old. Drowned in a community swimming pool. An uncle dove in and resuscitated him. Had he not, I wouldn't be here.

my grandfather was in the navy and was supposed to ship out to pearl harbour, but got appendicitis in guam like the day or two before and never went. things like that make you realize how lucky we are to be here. it just takes one moment...

Hopeless Semantic
08-08-2008, 10:30 AM
The only time I ever had one iota of a dying thought was when I was sitting in my car with a girl I had just taken out on a date. We were just wrapping up the night by conversing about things and whatnot when a pair of eses pulled up to my side of the car. Now, I initially didn't see them as I was turned towards my date. However, I did feel the coldness of the gun's barrel right to the back of my head. In the middle of this, I heard the other guy ask me the three words that you really never want to hear--"Where you from?" Followed by the 2nd guy's cocking of his gun, I said, "Nowhere. I don't bang." After that, I closed my eyes expecting the worst, but feeling the pressure of the gun barrel pulling away from me. Then the 1st guy uttered something about his gang and they both walked away.

I swore I heard nothing but my heartbeat and I watched as the panic and fear covered my date's face. It was as surreal as anything I have ever experienced and afterwards, it took me nearly the remainder of the night to leave the date's house and trek back home.

I look back at the incident with tempered relief. Because I hear about how similar events happen and the victims' fate isn't as lucky as mine was. It was so close to being over for me that night. I have never been as scared as I was that night.

I don't know how near death I was, but it was pretty damn scary...

MissingPerson
08-08-2008, 10:37 AM
When I was in the Army Reserve one of the others fired his rifle when he wasn't supposed to. I was standing up in front of one of the (people shaped) targets. If he'd been a better shot, he would have shot me right in the head. His aim was off, so his rounds missed me by a couple inches.

One thing I'll always remember, the sound of the shot travels slower than the bullets themselves - so you hear the round hit the paper target before you hear it leave the gun.

chairmenmeow47
08-08-2008, 10:41 AM
One thing I'll always remember, the sound of the shot travels slower than the bullets themselves - so you hear the round hit the paper target before you hear it leave the gun.

whoa, that's freaky.

and hopless, that's so scary!!! i had some kids in my complex pull a fake gun on me once. it was late and i couldn't see that it was fake till he got to my window with it. it was pointed at my face the entire time though. i should have called the cops, but instead i just crawled in bed and cried. thankfully i don't seem them around anymore; i think they got evicted.

Heresy
08-08-2008, 11:03 AM
When I was 6 months old, I had pneumonia and had to get my lungs pumped several times. The doctors had to strap me down in a restraint jacket and shove these tubes into my lungs and pump out all the fluid. Of course I don't have any memory of it I was too young, but my mom told me the story. She thought I wasn't going to make it since there was so much fluid.

Several brushes with death on the freeway. My friend and I were in her car and we were merging onto the freeway. We were going about 45-50 since traffic was kinda slow and some asshole is coming right at us from behind. He must've been going about 80 so he starts riding our ass and starts high beaming us. My friend just stood at a constant speed and finally he moves over. My friend at the time had really bad road rage so she caught up to him, tailed his ass and started highbeaming him (Stupid I know) so he slammed on his brakes and she had to swirve out into the next lane and the car kinda fish tailed. We drove by him flipping him off. We didn't talk for about 20 minutes and as soon as we got off the freeway she starts talking like she found god or something. And because of that incident, she no longer lets her road rage get the best of her.

Another time I was about 4 years old and I was outside of my house when I heard popping noises. Apparently they were gunshots but I was so young, I didn't know what the hell was going on. When I walked up the porch I saw everyone in my living room diving to the floor. And then before I knew it, someone had scooped me up and we dove to the floor.

BROKENDOLL
08-08-2008, 11:23 AM
Okay. when I was younger, (Be nice!) my family had a weekend place down in Mexico near San Felipe. It was on the river so we could waterski and with all the open desert around we did alot of motorcycle riding. On the weekend that the Baja 500 was running, all the men in the campsite decided to take the bikes and head across the desert, hoping to see parts of the race. I bugged the shit out of my dad to be able to go with them until he finally said yes. The only problem was he let one guy use my bike which left me with having to ride someone elses that I wasn't really familiar with. We went for about a 50 mile ride acrossed the open desert and it was rough, but I wasn't about to complain because afterall, I was the one who wanted to go no matter what. It wasn't easy keeping up with them, so I brought up the rear you could say. On the way back to the camp they chose to go a route that would have us on the opposite side of the river from camp. Pretty much untouched land with alot of cactus and no trail. The piece of shit bike I got stuck with started acting weird with the throttle feeling like it was getting stuck or something. but I couldn't get their attention at that point. They got far enough ahead and almost to the point of being straight acrossed from our camp when finally they stopped and waved me to hurry up. All I know is when I gave this stupid bike alittle more gas, that fucking throttle took it all the way and stuck there! Up ahead, their eyes were wide open in panic because obviously there was a problem. The riverbank was about 5 feet to my left and the bike had a mind of it's own then as I went through cactus patches, over rocks, and kept hanging on. I don't know if I was more afraid of getting hurt or getting in trouble for doing something wrong, but as I got closer to the guys I heard, "let it go!" So, I did. I let go of the handlebars, opened my legs to jump, and as I ended up doing a nosedive into a cactus, the bike headed over the riverbank and down into the Rio Harde River, literally! I didn't know if I was gonna die or if the guy who owned that piece of shit was gonna kill me, but later on back at camp around the firepit when everybody was taking turns pulling catus needles out of my ass, he mentioned something about knowing that throttle needed some repairing. Asshole!

algunz
08-08-2008, 02:52 PM
Ugh, I hate cactus.

Somewhat Damaged
08-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Ok my inquiry may seem morbid and you need not go any further, but my fascination with these things runs deep. How many attempts and what do you mean by asking for it?

I remember your fascination with suicide due to that friend of yours committing it when you were younger, so no biggie. And it's not like I didn't introduce the subject myself. I don't recall how many attempts exactly but there were a few (half dozen or so, maybe), and "asking for it" as in asking for the near death experience.

I spent the day driving to a couple of my company's sites in southern Arizona with my new boss. He told me about a major motorcycle accident he was in last March. He'd had a couple beers but was pretty much sober. As he came around a bend on an isolated road, he ran into some gravel and lost control of his bike. He wound up crashing into a mesquite tree and flew 20 feet. He wound up getting impaled on a branch, which collapsed the lung on his right side. Fortunately for him, a nurse just happened to be on that road at the same time and saw his accident. She called 911 and tended to him till an ambulance got there. Had she not, he had flown so far off the road that he wouldn't have been discovered for at least a day, and they told him that with his injuries, he would've bled out after an hour. He wound up breaking his neck, back, arm, 13 ribs (including all 10 on his right side), and had a gash requiring 52 stitches in his head. He was in a coma for 8 days and was in a body cast for several months. It's pretty remarkable how he looks now, just a year later, not just due to the extent of the injuries but also his age. (He's 53, so not exactly a spring chicken.)

EDIT: Oh yeah, mentioned that he'd had a couple beers. Due to that, his insurance company didn't pay ANY of his medical bills. His hospital stay was pretty exorbitant, almost $500k, and while he made pretty good money with the company that he owned at the time, he didn't have that kind of cash to pay it. So he wound up having to sell his company and file personal bankruptcy. Amazingly enough, he still opposes socialized medicine.

algunz
08-10-2008, 07:45 PM
The "riding off a side of a road and not being found for days" thing has always been a fear of mine. Every time we cross the mountains on the 60 on our way to the desert I think about that mother and child who drove off the embankment and weren't found for days. The mother passed away, but the child managed to survive. My heart just aches thinking about what that must have been like for him.

TomAz
08-10-2008, 09:00 PM
this one time a long time ago I drank a lot and then took some drugs and I vomited and then passed out and my friends said I stopped breathing ans so they called a bambulance and slapped me around and I started breathing again so they told the bambulance to go away and it did and fuck those fuckers they managed to overreact and underreact at the same fucking time so I don't know what to believe EXcEPT i can tell you I woke up the next day sick as all hell and had to cancel out of this obligation I really shouldn't have cancelled out from -- it involved picking up trash at 7 am on a Saturda -- and who the fuck knows what the truth was but you know when you grab life by the balls some days it's gonna get pissed at you. Ha ha.

thelastmejia
08-11-2008, 09:29 AM
almost died twice in my life. Once when I was about 3 or 4 I broke the child proof seal on a bottle of my grandmother's medication. I was rushed to the hospital and had to swallow charcoal and had my stomached pumped. They made me throw up all nite to prevent me from blacking out.

2nd time was about 3 years ago. I was driving home from my job on a sunday nite at 9:30pm and as I was heading home driving slowly through a residential area when a guy driving drunk slammed into my car head first while he was driving about 50-60 mph. My I had to crawl out of my car and I collapsed on street after trying to walk. I didn't notice so I tried to walk, but knee was broken my ribs where broken and my car was crumbled up in a ball and so I collapsed and cracked up my head open. The thing that saved my life was the seat belt cause the other guy was in a mustang convertable without his seat belt. He ened up flying through the window, breaking every bone in his face, his eyeball ened up coming out his socked and the other eye got infected and he was in the ICU for a few weeks.

chairmenmeow47
08-11-2008, 10:10 AM
this one time a long time ago I drank a lot and then took some drugs and I vomited and then passed out and my friends said I stopped breathing ans so they called a bambulance and slapped me around and I started breathing again so they told the bambulance to go away and it did and fuck those fuckers they managed to overreact and underreact at the same fucking time so I don't know what to believe EXcEPT i can tell you I woke up the next day sick as all hell and had to cancel out of this obligation I really shouldn't have cancelled out from -- it involved picking up trash at 7 am on a Saturda -- and who the fuck knows what the truth was but you know when you grab life by the balls some days it's gonna get pissed at you. Ha ha.

whoa, i want more stories from partying tom :)

BROKENDOLL
08-11-2008, 10:20 AM
this one time a long time ago I drank a lot and then took some drugs and I vomited and then passed out and my friends said I stopped breathing ans so they called a bambulance and slapped me around and I started breathing again so they told the bambulance to go away and it did and fuck those fuckers they managed to overreact and underreact at the same fucking time so I don't know what to believe EXcEPT i can tell you I woke up the next day sick as all hell and had to cancel out of this obligation I really shouldn't have cancelled out from -- it involved picking up trash at 7 am on a Saturda -- and who the fuck knows what the truth was but you know when you grab life by the balls some days it's gonna get pissed at you. Ha ha. I almost died laughing at this last night.

whoa, i want more stories from partying tom :) From his partying past or last night's shindig?

algunz
08-17-2009, 12:42 AM
Driving to San Diego today the car in front of us had a blow out and lost control. My husband with his quick reflexes somehow managed to avoid him. We had to pull over and get out of the car and just breath.

I hate cars.