PDA

View Full Version : Weezer, next year?

gorazd
06-27-2007, 02:54 AM
a new album "out in the first half of 2008", oh well...

from weezer.com:

...folks - here's a message from Rivers...

"Hey Party-People,

Weezer is just polishing up a batch of songs for a recording session that is going to start at the beginning of July. This will be the final recording session for our 6th album which we aim to put out in the first half of 2008. We hope you are all having good times.

Love,

R-dawg"

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
06-27-2007, 03:34 AM
NO! God no! No more Weezer! I love the music..but they put on such horrible live performances...I have seen them twice and both times were boring....

fatbastard
06-27-2007, 07:53 AM
Simply horrible. Same here. They were slightly better at Inland Invasion than the Coachella stage.

KungFuJoe
06-27-2007, 08:06 AM
NO! God no! No more Weezer! I love the music..but they put on such horrible live performances...I have seen them twice and both times were boring....

I agree 100% with this sentiment. I too have seen them twice and both times sucked. I like their earlier recordings, but I am so over them.

Beef Jerky
06-27-2007, 08:38 AM
Ahh yeh..they pretty much started sucking after the Blue Album.
I still love them tho. Wham..too bad they suck live. I've always wanted to see them.

Apathetic00
06-27-2007, 09:49 AM
Damn, I have seen them 4 times and I have to say that they can certainly be off their mark for performances but when they do get things right it can be absolutely amazing.

Geez, they're are some harsh critics here, the Blue album/Pinkerton will always be Weezer at the top of their game but the Green album was just as enjoyable. Malandroit was quite a dissapointment....can't even remember the last time I played that album since the year it came out.

Make Believe was a worthy effort and I didn't enjoy at first but has come to be a favorite of mine, definetly an album that you grow to enjoy after a few listens.

No Doubt and Weezer for Coachella?? Have the 90's returned already??

algunz
06-27-2007, 11:00 AM
Radiohead, NIN, Bjork, RHCP, Rage etc - the 90's never left.

rage patton
06-27-2007, 02:14 PM
I would love to see Weezer live. I have heard mixed reviews. No one I have ever talked to said a Weezer show was, ok. It either sucked and was boring, or was awesome and incredibly fun.
I heard a report on the radio a few months ago Weezer broke up. I guess that is not that case.

ThomThom
06-27-2007, 02:40 PM
Oh god not Weezer again...They are seriously one of the worst live acts around

Genedefekt
06-27-2007, 03:22 PM
They had the best of all the performances at Inland Invasion '05

suprefan
06-27-2007, 04:04 PM
Weezer wouldnt be the worst choice, but it would be waaay too soon to put em back on the Coachella stage. They wont go any higher than 3rd on the bill anyway, just like Air. The Inland Invasion performance was one of my fave times seeing them. Also on their co headliner with Foo Fighters, I saw them in Oakland and they killed it, it was the last show of the tour so some pinkerton stuff was thrown in there, I loved it.

noisemachine
06-27-2007, 09:02 PM
Make Believe was complete trash and I have no doubt that this album will be any different. Beverly Hills has to be one of the worst alternative rock singles of all time.

C DUB YA
06-27-2007, 09:23 PM
weezer is pretty much as boring and as bad as a band can get - live.

Trick Loves The Kids
06-27-2007, 09:29 PM
I never gave a fuck about Weezer but I haven't met a single soul on this wide beautiful planet that didn't say "Yeah, I liked Weezer but their last three albums have sucked."

fucking give up on bands like that i swear to god. they suck get used to it

Boourns
06-27-2007, 09:31 PM
Well, Rivers finally got his Japanese girl, so he has no problems to sing about anymore.

woogie846
06-27-2007, 10:21 PM
I've never seen them before, nor do I have a strong desire to.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
06-28-2007, 02:55 AM
Wow! I didn't think so many people would agree with me. I was thinking I would get flamed for it...

Boourns
07-05-2007, 06:11 PM
Make Believe was complete trash and I have no doubt that this album will be any different. Beverly Hills has to be one of the worst alternative rock singles of all time.

"We Are All On Drugs" was far, far worse.

captncrzy
07-05-2007, 06:27 PM
What's with the R-dawg?

Is this American Idol?

garrett222
07-05-2007, 06:44 PM
NIN, Radiohead, REM

CiderMouseRules
07-06-2007, 09:42 AM
You guys are nuts. Weezer is awesome live. They were great at Coachella in 2005.

...but they aren't the kind of band I like to see at Coachella.

ficklecycle
07-06-2007, 09:42 AM
Gross.

C DUB YA
07-06-2007, 10:25 AM
You guys are nuts. Weezer is awesome live. They were great at Coachella in 2005.

In 2001 they were absolutely horrible, I caught a small bit of the 2005 set and it seemed better i guess but I was equally unimpressed.

McAwesome
07-06-2007, 02:49 PM
man I totally came on here to post my first thread about the new album ): but I lost. But I'm still uber excited! I loves my Weezer!!

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
07-07-2007, 12:14 PM

You really think so? Rivers looked bored beyond all...It was like :::::in a whisper:::: "hey guys...um...should we try and rock?"

SecretAgentX-9
08-19-2007, 01:36 AM
Weezer is dead to me.

Blue and Pinkerton are two of my favorite albums ever, but Make Believe completely ruined them. Even if they still play "Say It Ain't So" at every show, having to hear "Beverly Hills" along with it ruins the whole show.

Who cares if Weezer plays next year.

NEUTRAL MILK HOTEL 10 YEAR REUNION LET'S DO THIS

tyles
09-20-2007, 12:20 PM
I saw Weezer in '97 when Matt Sharp was still in the band, and at a small club to boot, and it was an excellent show. After he left the band, it seemed like part of the fun of the band left with him. Their only great single from the past three albums has been "Keep Fishin'." I don't think Weezer sucks, I am just kinda luke-warm about them, and this is coming from someone who bought Pinkerton the day it came out.

Not to say it could not happen, but hasn't Weezer played Coachella twice already?

orbit
09-20-2007, 12:37 PM
2001 and 2005. Hopefully there won't be another one.

RotationSlimWang
09-20-2007, 12:50 PM
Doesn't Weezer use a computer to create a random set list for every show? I'm sure they throw their new singles and Say It Ain't So on every show, but I read that somewhere. Lame, although I love them.

ewiggy
09-20-2007, 12:58 PM
2001 and 2005. Hopefully there won't be another one.

qft.

zikade
09-20-2007, 04:54 PM
"Weezer, next year?"

I sincerely hope not. Seen 'em THREE times now, and the best I could say (in 2001) was that they were "OK." And their last two albums were horrible. No thanks.

RedThom
10-05-2007, 01:49 PM
I agree. Weezer should not play another coachella due to river cuomo's love for his new material. You can spout all sorts of trash talk about "We Are all On Drugs" and the undeniably bad "Beverly Hills", but these songs are no match for the likes of "Freak Me Out" or "Perfect Situation".

As far as the live performance goes? The Newly reformed Van Halen would have more soul to it then some of these half hearted "yeahs" during blue album solos.

Solution? Why not have the rentals play instead? they're back and actually very enjoyable.

The Rentals for 2008

not weezer

ShyGuy75
10-05-2007, 01:53 PM
Please god, no.

mvanwinkle
10-23-2007, 09:21 PM
10/16/07 A Message from Weezer

"We've finished.

Album 6 is getting ready for mixing and I have never been so excited about a project in my life. Weezer fans truly have something to look forward to. The entire band has accomplished some of its most challenging goals as a group and as individuals. It's all coming together on this album.

To sum it up, at the beginning of the recording each member asked himself "what do you want out of this session?" The answer lies ahead.

-Scott Shriner"

Boourns
10-23-2007, 10:50 PM

Ugh. "We Are All On Drugs" is even worse. I was so excited to finally see them after a decade of wanting to do so and once they came out I was freaking out because I was finally seeing Weezer and they were playing one of my favorites, "Say It Ain't So". And eventually I started to wonder why they were phoning in the performance. Radiohead and Arcade Fire had spoiled me.

bmack86
10-23-2007, 11:05 PM
2005 Weezer was the worst performance I've ever seen. I saw Silver Daggers before they learned how to play, I saw Mindless Self Indulgence, I even saw a random hippie chick playing harp and almost yodelling as an opener for Chavez, and they were all better than Weezer in 05.

(By the way, Silver Daggers have really learned to play since 2004 and they are awesome now.)

Mr.Wyndham
10-26-2007, 07:46 PM
ITs all about The Blue album and Pinkerton

mvanwinkle
10-27-2007, 10:47 AM
I saw Weezer in '97 when Matt Sharp was still in the band, After he left the band, it seemed like part of the fun of the band left with him.

Ya i saw the rentals a while back and matt puts on a fun show. he was all over the stage. and then you have rivers whose basically just there.

summerkid
10-30-2007, 02:34 PM
how painful is to see what has become of Weezer fully capable of making great music, but they just don't care anymore. I remember being pretty excited when the Green Album came out and I was about 12 or 13 and I remember seeing the music video for Island in the Sun and thinking wtf is this shit?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-30-2007, 03:35 PM
ugh...why are we still talking about Weezer?

summerkid
10-30-2007, 11:59 PM
ugh...why are we still talking about Weezer?

because they were one of the best bands of the 90s.

rage patton
10-31-2007, 12:02 AM
Wouldnt it be awesome if Weezer played a show playing the entirety of both The Blue Album and Pinkerton? They could play the entirety of Maladroit too... and I wouldnt even care. Blue Album and Pikerton are just that damn good.

Boourns
10-31-2007, 12:03 AM
Yeah, but they haven't been good in years. It's not like they stopped making music like MBV or Portishead, they tarnished their legacy with crap like "We Are All On Drugs/We Are All In Love"

rage patton
10-31-2007, 12:06 AM
Wait... did they do a censored version called "We Are All In Love"? That had better be a joke.
I do have to admit though, I still really like the Green Album. It puts a smile on my face. Maladroit makes me want to hurt small animals. Make Believe. Whatever.

Boourns
10-31-2007, 12:09 AM
Yes, they did. Scary.

Once Rivers finally got his Japanese girl, it was all over.

summerkid
10-31-2007, 04:42 PM
Yes, they did. Scary.

Once Rivers finally got his Japanese girl, it was all over.

"Goddamn you half japanese girls do it to me every time."

scoop49er
11-02-2007, 07:05 PM
i would not mind weezer..... island in the sun is a cool jam!

allthewayinchicago
11-07-2007, 12:52 PM
weezer owned lollapalooza in 2005- they blew EVERYONE away.

so the newer material hasn't been so good... who cares?

maybe rivers will convince the rest of the band to play all the songs off his demo compilation cd that comes out in december, or maybe rivers will grace the crowd with a Songs from the Black Hole set (or an appearance by matt sharp or even mikey welsh).

=w=.

microlovebeat
11-07-2007, 12:54 PM
i saw weezer a couple years back after make believe came out.

their live presence isn't anything to rave about....

i thought the blue album was great.

RedThom
11-07-2007, 01:04 PM
weezer owned lollapalooza in 2005- they blew EVERYONE away.

so the newer material hasn't been so good... who cares?

maybe rivers will convince the rest of the band to play all the songs off his demo compilation cd that comes out in december, or maybe rivers will grace the crowd with a Songs from the Black Hole set (or an appearance by matt sharp or even mikey welsh).

=w=.

what did they do to blow everyone away? Did rivers take off a mask and reveal that he is Matt Sharp playing a practical joke on us all?

and in regards to not caring about bad material and skating by with zero soul in heartfelt songs live? that's the kinda shit that will keep bon jovi touring long after they're dead.

River's said it best, "once but never again"

allthewayinchicago
11-07-2007, 01:05 PM
i saw weezer a couple years back after make believe came out.

their live presence isn't anything to rave about....

i thought the blue album was great.

the blue album IS great- too bad rivers can't be 23 years old right now instead of being 37 or however old he is.

drugks Gillespie
11-07-2007, 01:17 PM
Radiohead, NIN, Bjork, RHCP, Rage etc - the 90's never left.

I love the fact that Coachella is and always has been such a celebration of nineties music. Don't really give a shit about weezer but I do love "only in dreams". Radiohead, Nine Inch Nails, Tool, Wu-Tang Clan, A Tribe Called Quest, Diggable Planets, Bjork, RATM, as well as the evolution of dance music, all birthed by our precious nineties.

RedThom
11-07-2007, 01:18 PM
high five to drugks for nailing that one in the coffin

ArcadeParade
11-12-2007, 09:06 AM
album out week of the show, hard to bet against them not being there.

i_like_cake530
11-12-2007, 09:44 AM
album out week of the show, hard to bet against them not being there.

That doesn't make sense...read your posts before you post them.

bigc1
11-12-2007, 09:49 AM
i can see Rivers performing solo next year, but not Weezer.

faxman75
11-12-2007, 11:01 AM

Umm no, they really weren't. Believe me I wanted them to be good but they sucked. They were flat, no crowd interaction and they were pretty boring. They were better, way better later in that tour but still nothing to get all excited about.

Boourns
11-12-2007, 11:14 AM
New album coming April 22nd, according to bitchdork

allthewayinchicago
11-12-2007, 11:14 AM
what did they do to blow everyone away? Did rivers take off a mask and reveal that he is Matt Sharp playing a practical joke on us all?

and in regards to not caring about bad material and skating by with zero soul in heartfelt songs live? that's the kinda shit that will keep bon jovi touring long after they're dead.

River's said it best, "once but never again"

unfortunately, rivers did not become matt sharp.

as for not caring about bad material- i'm a pretty hardcore blue album fan, so i will gladly sit through a crappy set of make believe songs just to hear one blue album song.

...and that's probably the only reason they are still selling tickets, which is indeed very sad.

for the record- bon jovi blows.

ArcadeParade
11-12-2007, 02:59 PM
That doesn't make sense...read your posts before you post them.

Sorry you couldn't understand...

The album comes out the same week as Coachella. I figure it is hard to see them not there in some capacity.

Jerm05
11-12-2007, 03:17 PM
I was thinking that they would be there when i saw that release date too...

The first time i saw them was at Coach 2005 and i had a good time..Beverly Hills was a very loooww point..probably for that entire weekend, but still it was great singin along to the weezer jams.

BTW: seen them two months later at the Las Vegas Centennial show and had the same experience..just because a band doesn't leap off speakers or cut themelves onstage that doesn't make it a horrid show.

RedThom
11-15-2007, 07:56 PM
I was thinking that they would be there when i saw that release date too...

The first time i saw them was at Coach 2005 and i had a good time..Beverly Hills was a very loooww point..probably for that entire weekend, but still it was great singin along to the weezer jams.

BTW: seen them two months later at the Las Vegas Centennial show and had the same experience..just because a band doesn't leap off speakers or cut themelves onstage that doesn't make it a horrid show.

no but lack of soul certainly makes a horrid show

drugks Gillespie
11-15-2007, 11:16 PM
bitchdork. ha ha ha

RedThom
11-16-2007, 05:33 PM
hmm, yeah too much thought going into this

jenniferrrae
11-17-2007, 05:24 PM
that sucks. let's pray to whatever god will listen that this will not be so. maybe if they stopped after pinkerton and were reuniting i would consider it. but after the disasterous 05 performance, i hoped to never hear that name again.

why rivers, WHY??