PDA

View Full Version : Yes. I need help. Again.

Good Days Last
06-21-2007, 02:24 AM
This time... it has to do with LA.

I'm planning on taking a trip with my GF to her Aunt's house in West Covina in the next month or two. What the fetch is there to do and see in LA besides beaches and amusement parks.

DeltaSigChi4
06-21-2007, 02:29 AM
Museums, you philistine.

E

Good Days Last
06-21-2007, 02:32 AM
K Delt.

Which museums in LA should I visit?

DeltaSigChi4
06-21-2007, 02:43 AM
WTF.

Simon Norton. LACMA. MOCA [adjacent to LACMA, if open]. There are a few others I have gotten lost trying to find and gave up on to go get a bite to eat before heading to a show.

E

sonofhal
06-21-2007, 02:56 AM
The Getty Center has got a varied collection (and pretty good views of LA too)

crazzz2007
06-21-2007, 03:03 AM
WTF.

Simon Norton. LACMA. MOCA [adjacent to LACMA, if open]. There are a few others I have gotten lost trying to find and gave up on to go get a bite to eat before heading to a show.

E

Norton Simon.

Good Days Last
06-21-2007, 03:12 AM
The Getty looks pretty amazing as does the Norton Simon.

hangthedj112
06-21-2007, 05:35 AM
Hello shopping. (http://superfuture.com/city/city/selected.cfm?city=9)

In addition to that there's some sweet music stores like Turntable Lab and Amoeba.

PlayaDelWes
06-21-2007, 06:41 AM
Getty Villa is pretty cool too. You have to make reservations though.

bug on your lip
06-21-2007, 06:42 AM
Good Days

does yer GF know yer secretly ghey yet ?

fatbastard
06-21-2007, 07:54 AM
The Getty Villa is right on PCH. It is truly beautiful. I would recommend the Getty center. It's much bigger and has a decent cafeteria.

I would recommend taking a tour with the LA Conservancy, specifically, the historic core tour. You will see why people love LA.

Hit a couple of legendary food spots. No need to get too deep but if you have never been to California, In and Out would be a good first attempt.

I would recommend talking the Gold Line (public train system) beginning at the start in Pasadena. It will take you through the backyards of different neighborhoods. It lands up in either Chinatown or Union Station (depend where you get off).

Take the Amtrak to San Luis Obispo (Thursday night farmers market is the best) or San Diego (a whole trip in itself).

Sierra Madre for dinner - Restaurant Lozano has good food.

DeltaSigChi4
06-21-2007, 08:37 AM
Norton Simon.

Simon, Norton*

E

kimery08
06-21-2007, 09:25 AM
go to the huntington library and walk around the botanical garden. soo soo nice.

www.huntington.org

Courtney
06-21-2007, 10:03 AM
WTF.

E

I love that you're recommending museums, but MOCA isn't anywhere near LACMA.

The Getty is great because it's big and impressive and you get a great view over Los Angeles and out to the ocean on a clear day. They also sometimes have interesting concerts and films and stuff so that's worth researching (the same would be true for LACMA and MOCA). The Getty has a very good, but fancy, restaurant on premises which is nice for dinner. It also has a couple casual cafeterias with decent food as fatbastard has mentioned.

Kimery has a good suggestion with the Huntington, too. It's actually not in LA proper; it's located in San Marino which is a ritzy suburb just outside of Pasadena. It has gorgeous gardens and is nice to walk around. They also have a smaller collection of art. It should be noted that admission is kind of a lot at $15 per adult, unlike the Getty which is free.

The LA Conservancy walking tours are awesome, if you're into that sort of thing. I really liked their theater district tour. The Museum of Neon Art does a nighttime bus tour too, which is supposed to be fabulous.

Because you're coming from Utah, you might also find it fun to walk around and explore some of the ethnic neighborhoods. Chinatown is small enough to be manageable (unlike Koreatown) and if you can time it so you go on one of the nights with gallery openings, all the better. Have dinner at Full House and then go for drinks afterwards at Mountain Bar (if you're feeling ritzy) or Hop Louie (if you're feeling slummy).

Alternately, Little Tokyo could make a good diversion, especially if you paired it with a trip to MOCA at the Geffen Contemporary. If you're there for lunch, definitely get sushi at Sushi Gen, which has the best cheap sushi in Los Angeles. For dinner, check out R23 (fancy-ish) or Oomasa (casual). There's also fun shopping to be had in Little Tokyo, including walking around Japanese Village Plaza, a newish American Apparel store, etc.

If you want to do some more typically LA shopping, head west to maybe Melrose (between San Vicente and La Brea Ave.) or Robertson Blvd (between Beverly and Third St). You'll find boutiques like Fred Segal and Kitson. But be prepared to blow some serious bucks. There's also Santa Monica's 3rd Street Promenade or The Grove which are big outdoor shopping mall type places, but I wouldn't recommend either because it's probably mostly the same stores you can get back home.

Also, given that you're on the Coachella message board, I'm surprised that no one has yet suggested looking into shows. Definitely worth seeing what's playing on the nights that you'll be here. Upcoming (http://upcoming.yahoo.com/) usually has a decent list. You can also check out the LA Weekly as the time gets closer.

fatbastard
06-21-2007, 11:13 PM
I love that you're recommending museums, but MOCA isn't anywhere near LACMA.

The Getty is great because it's big and impressive and you get a great view over Los Angeles and out to the ocean on a clear day. They also sometimes have interesting concerts and films and stuff so that's worth researching (the same would be true for LACMA and MOCA). The Getty has a very good, but fancy, restaurant on premises which is nice for dinner. It also has a couple casual cafeterias with decent food as fatbastard has mentioned.

Kimery has a good suggestion with the Huntington, too. It's actually not in LA proper; it's located in San Marino which is a ritzy suburb just outside of Pasadena. It has gorgeous gardens and is nice to walk around. They also have a smaller collection of art. It should be noted that admission is kind of a lot at $15 per adult, unlike the Getty which is free.

The LA Conservancy walking tours are awesome, if you're into that sort of thing. I really liked their theater district tour. The Museum of Neon Art does a nighttime bus tour too, which is supposed to be fabulous.

Because you're coming from Utah, you might also find it fun to walk around and explore some of the ethnic neighborhoods. Chinatown is small enough to be manageable (unlike Koreatown) and if you can time it so you go on one of the nights with gallery openings, all the better. Have dinner at Full House and then go for drinks afterwards at Mountain Bar (if you're feeling ritzy) or Hop Louie (if you're feeling slummy).

Alternately, Little Tokyo could make a good diversion, especially if you paired it with a trip to MOCA at the Geffen Contemporary. If you're there for lunch, definitely get sushi at Sushi Gen, which has the best cheap sushi in Los Angeles. For dinner, check out R23 (fancy-ish) or Oomasa (casual). There's also fun shopping to be had in Little Tokyo, including walking around Japanese Village Plaza, a newish American Apparel store, etc.

If you want to do some more typically LA shopping, head west to maybe Melrose (between San Vicente and La Brea Ave.) or Robertson Blvd (between Beverly and Third St). You'll find boutiques like Fred Segal and Kitson. But be prepared to blow some serious bucks. There's also Santa Monica's 3rd Street Promenade or The Grove which are big outdoor shopping mall type places, but I wouldn't recommend either because it's probably mostly the same stores you can get back home.

Also, given that you're on the Coachella message board, I'm surprised that no one has yet suggested looking into shows. Definitely worth seeing what's playing on the nights that you'll be here. Upcoming (http://upcoming.yahoo.com/) usually has a decent list. You can also check out the LA Weekly as the time gets closer.

Good point:

Feist 6-29
Electric Daisy Carnival 6-30
Giant w/ Armin van Buuren 7-14
The Fray w Gomez 7-18 and 7-19
Sonic Youth Jult 20
Peter, Bjorn and John 7-31
Felix the housecat 8-4
Dianna Krall 8-18
Sunset Junction 8-18 and 8-19
Blonde Redhead 8-19
Underworld 9-9
Detour 10-6

miscorrections
06-21-2007, 11:36 PM
Take the Amtrak to San Luis Obispo (Thursday night farmers market is the best)

farmer's market is shit. of course, that comes from someone who lived there.

Good Days Last
06-22-2007, 12:31 AM
Great suggestions Kim, Courtney and fatbastard.

But yes, I did live in San Diego for about 10 years before moving up here. (Little Known Fact)
But even though I grew up there, there wasn't an LA - SD connection like alot of other Southern Californians, other than the occasional amusement park trip.

In 5 grade or something like that, I took the amtrak for a field trip to San Capistrano. So I assume San Luis would be about the same?

Shows are an option, I guess we'd have to set a date and then look at those.

I guess we could go by Hollywood to blow a few hours too. Whats that big mall... I think it was by the La Brea tar Pits somewhere.... I just remember this big mall.

And bug. What did I ever do to you to elicit such a dastardly response?

miscorrections
06-22-2007, 09:33 AM
san luis and san juan capistrano are indeed not the same. san luis is a tiny college town.

bballarl
06-22-2007, 09:37 AM
Isn't San Juan Capistrano where the swallows migrate or something?

miscorrections
06-22-2007, 09:40 AM
yeah they love their swallows there.

fatbastard
06-22-2007, 03:07 PM
The only mall close to the tar pits would be The Grove. Don't go to the Beverly Center.

Miscorrections? Why do you consider the market shit? I enjoy Mo's BBQ, The Frog and Peach, the chinese produce lady who's always giving people a hard time, Cold Stone Ice Cream, and the fresh bread.

miscorrections
06-22-2007, 06:51 PM
because when you grow up in arroyo grande and the farmer's market is the only thing to do on thursdays you get more than slightly tired of it.

mo's, though, is excellent. i fucking love their pulled pork.

fatbastard
06-22-2007, 09:29 PM
I see your point.

There is one bbq sauce out of the 3 that Mo's serves that is out of this world. I want to say its orange in color.

miscorrections
06-22-2007, 09:32 PM
i wish i could remember what they call it.

damnit, i wish there was a mo's here.

CuervoPH
06-22-2007, 09:57 PM
While we're asking for help, I'll be spending Christmas in Vegas this year. Been there several times but never during the holidays. Anything special happening there then? (For Vegas posters, feel free to answer closer to Christmas).

protodisco
06-22-2007, 09:59 PM
This time... it has to do with LA.

I'm planning on taking a trip with my GF to her Aunt's house in West Covina in the next month or two. What the fetch is there to do and see in LA besides beaches and amusement parks.

airports for flights leaving LA.