PDA

View Full Version : WORST EVER COACHELLA PERFORMANCE POLL

C DUB YA
01-26-2007, 07:46 AM
99% of performances are amazing sometimes awe inspiring. Some are not, which ones?

sddoctor
01-26-2007, 07:50 AM
I really thought the Mars Volta in '03 were horrible.

chairmenmeow47
01-26-2007, 07:56 AM
the lack of bravery and death cab in this poll is disturbing.

C DUB YA
01-26-2007, 10:24 AM
Did anyone actually go see the Bravery?

C DUB YA
01-26-2007, 10:30 AM
Pavement was on there, because they were EXTREMELY drunk (they even told everyone so) They messed up about half the set, and Malkmus was barely legible. Sloppy boys, sloppy.

Pavement sloppy is kind of an oxymoron, no?

chairmenmeow47
01-26-2007, 10:44 AM

i stood at the back and heard a few songs, but it was god awful.

luveebunni08
01-26-2007, 12:22 PM
if i were to vote which impacted my coachella experience the most, definitely madonna, but i didn't even see the other bands.

YouMakeMeLoseMyButtons
01-26-2007, 12:40 PM
THE LOCUST. But i did feel bad because there werent many people there.

chairmenmeow47
01-26-2007, 12:41 PM
beck was boring to hell in '04, at least for me

AGREED!

and how strange that it moved my post above yours when i was quoting you... *head asplode*

dualmoodswings
01-26-2007, 12:43 PM
beck was boring to hell in '04, at least for me

thinnerair
01-26-2007, 12:50 PM
trail of dead sounded like crap in 04.
animal collective were pretty bad too.
and the band that played at the same time as She Wants Revenge in one of the tents last night was HORRENDOUS!!!

bmack86
01-26-2007, 01:01 PM
Weezer in '05 was amongs the worst shows i've ever seen.

chairmenmeow47
01-26-2007, 01:08 PM

i agree with this too!!! i practically fell asleep.

algunz
01-26-2007, 01:14 PM
I don't think I've had a bad performance experience, because that is the beauty of Coachella - you can always move on to something else. But if we're talking worst Coachella experience it had to have been in '02 when "security" was all serious and shit (post 9/11) for the first few hours and this enormous line evolved. We were stuck in line for too long - thankfully we were with a group of Aussies in leisure suits who were more than happy to partake in the intoxicating scent of a new "NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC" magazine. Try it - it's like old xerox papers, but better. It's amazing what you'll find to entertain yourself when you're stuck in line in sweltering weather.

thinnerair
01-26-2007, 02:02 PM
weezer was awful.
and no. this isnt worst experiences. this is worst performances.
there was this one instance of severe cockblocking that was my worst experience, but it had nothing to do with bands playing.

Chillax
01-26-2007, 02:03 PM
I saw Minus the Bear in '06 and despite me actually liking the recorded stuff I was extremelly disapointed in their boring show and boring performance.

sithlord
01-26-2007, 02:05 PM
worst set I ever saw at coachella was ...Trail of Dead. Loved the album, hated the live set. Death Cab (same day) was pretty freekin' weak as well.

tehsonofhud
01-26-2007, 02:35 PM
trail of dead sounded like crap in 04.
animal collective were pretty bad too.
and the band that played at the same time as She Wants Revenge in one of the tents last night was HORRENDOUS!!!

dude animal collective OWNED

barrio
01-26-2007, 02:43 PM
weezer was really lame

adctvprsnlty
01-26-2007, 02:56 PM
Animal Collective in '05 were very loud, and didn't seem to play anything that could be considered a "song."

Jem in '04 played quite a few songs, but her whole set seemed like it would feel more appropriate on Pleasure Island at Disney World as opposed to the Polo Grounds.

New Order in '05 were just incredibly boring.

Morrissey in '99 was a tool (although oddly enough, Tool that year were the furthest thing from Morrissey).

suprefan
01-26-2007, 03:09 PM
Peretz "suprise" in the Gobi 2003 was bad... Couldve put that with '02.

daughterxofxexile
01-26-2007, 03:12 PM
Black Eyed Peas 03.. O_O hands down

activenike
01-26-2007, 03:55 PM
I really thought the Mars Volta in '03 were horrible.

i'm sorry to hear that. i've seen them 6 times and it's been nothing short of incredible each time.

fatbastard
01-26-2007, 03:56 PM
I don't understand. If no one liked Madonna's performance then why were there so many people at her tent?

itsalltoomuch
01-26-2007, 05:29 PM
why is oasis not on this list? same for nerd?

SnowShoe
01-26-2007, 05:37 PM
I don't understand. If no one liked Madonna's performance then why were there so many people at her tent?

Why do people slow down for car wrecks?

Also, people were expecting/hoping for something great, so the starting crowd was severe. It thinned out as the set went on.

Janglngjack
01-26-2007, 05:51 PM

Yeah, I saw The Bravery, they played after Kasabian if I remeber right. They were okay, except they had equipment problems. They played a cool version of U2's A Cat Dubh, but that was about it. Guess it wasn't that memmorable as I quickly lost interest in them after I saw them.

blake
01-26-2007, 05:51 PM
I concur! Madonna was terrible. She came on way late and finished way before her set was supposed to end. I guess she sounded alright, but it was a pretty weak showing in my opinion. Granted I'm not a fan, but I expected it to suck less than it did.

roberto73
01-26-2007, 06:38 PM
Death Cab for Cutie in 2004. The combination of costumes and music was like watching a group of narcoleptic janitors. A huge letdown after the majesty of Transatlanticism.

Boourns
01-26-2007, 06:41 PM
You forgot:
Sparta 04
Howie Day 04
James Blunt 06

Boourns
01-26-2007, 06:48 PM
You forgot:
Sparta 04
Howie Day 04
James Blunt 06

nahuatldream
01-26-2007, 08:58 PM
The only one of these I saw was Audio Bullys, and that was because (you guessed it) I was waiting for Daft Punk. Daft Punk was worth it.

suprefan
01-26-2007, 09:05 PM
I saw 4 of the performances on the poll. Ben Harper was not THAT bad. Beasties were alright, Sparta just had a tough crowd obviously due to Pixies being on right after. Thursday was fine in my eyes but I can see why it coudl be mentioned considering nobody on here really likes their music. And Geoff Rickly did pass out though mid way through the set but did pull through so he gets style points for no wimping out.

Proadict
01-26-2007, 09:07 PM
You forgot:
James Blunt 06

i agree james blunt was horrible , i only heard "you are betiful" and in the half time of the song i run out of that tent!

but Sleater kenney (or something like that) was so FREAKING boring, i was so bored, all the some where the same, but thanks god after that the Yeah Yeah Yeahs take the stage!

Proadict
01-26-2007, 09:07 PM
all the song were the same ...sorry :D

napaquetzalli
01-26-2007, 09:21 PM
BRIGHT EYES. I love you, Conor, but Digital Ash live=death.

thinnerair
01-26-2007, 09:50 PM
sparta wasn't all that bad.
thursday weren't all that bad either.
i was disappointed with Sigur Ros' s set last year. Easily the worst Sigur Ros performance I have seen. Ive seen them maybe 6 times or so and it was definitely the weakest.
New Order wasn't very good.
She Wants Revenge were fucking awful.

suprefan
01-26-2007, 10:19 PM
New Order wasn't very good.

Teleprompters, all I gotta say....

AEversW
01-26-2007, 11:02 PM
I saw Minus the Bear in '06 and despite me actually liking the recorded stuff I was extremelly disapointed in their boring show and boring performance.

i thought minus the bear was rather good...The the Raveonettes in 2005 was awful...it was just loud fuzz noise. Who ever their sound guy is should be shot..Sune Rose was hot though

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b246/AEversW/Coachella%202005/IMG_1297.jpg

fatbastard
01-28-2007, 09:50 AM
I was in the middle of the tent so I can't agree or disagree with you on that one. It did take quite awhile to leave the area to catch Massive Attack.

One other thing. The booing and the cheering. The crowd booed very loudly prior to her not starting on time (proboly the loudest I've ever heard for anyone). A couple of minutes the same audience was roaring very loudly (crazy loud-like the Pope at Dodger Stadium).

Her performance was not award winning by any means but it was a average as most average performances at Coachella.

Proadict
01-28-2007, 09:53 AM
i thought minus the bear was rather good...The the Raveonettes in 2005 was awful...it was just loud fuzz noise. Who ever their sound guy is should be shot..Sune Rose was hot though

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b246/AEversW/Coachella%202005/IMG_1297.jpg

the girl is gorgeous and sexy

theaenimatool
01-28-2007, 09:56 AM
i'm sorry to hear that. i've seen them 6 times and it's been nothing short of incredible each time.

agreed. the mars volta's live shows are nothing but ethereal and out of body experiences. some of the 4 best shows ive seen in my life.

C DUB YA
01-28-2007, 10:12 AM

There were a lot of MADONNA ONLY fans there.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-28-2007, 10:36 AM
I agree Mars Volta's 2003 on the main stage was pretty lame...alot of jumping around and very little music..What about Primal Scream's horrible performance back in 03' as well. Madonna's might have been better if she played so of her good stuff (Bedtimes Stories Etc.) for more then 6 effing songs...

thinnerair
01-28-2007, 10:56 AM
I saw Mars Volta on their De-Loused club tour and they sounded awful. It was insanely loud and just walls of static and noise. Cedric was busy doing splits and the worm onstage, and he would occassionally just squeal into the microphone. Omar sounded like he never learned how to tune a guitar. On the other hand, Ikey Owens and John Theodore are just incredible.

Carlo Von Sexron
01-28-2007, 11:43 AM
Trail of Dead in 04...Definitely the worst I've seen.

Boourns
01-28-2007, 06:25 PM
I saw the Mars Volta open for A Perfect Circle...terrible.

desphrs
01-28-2007, 07:06 PM
They were okay, except they had equipment problems. They played a cool version of U2's A Cat Dubh, but that was about it.

I actually thought the Bravery's set overall was pretty good, otherwise IAWTC.

Some of the little non-headlining bands definitely made a case for why they were non-headliners. I thought Katie Melua and Ambulance LTD in '05 were both boring-shite wastes of my time. In '06, there were two acts I really wanted to see that I thought were hampered by tech problems in the same tent but were otherwise disappointingly bad on their own: the Juan Maclean and Imogen Heap. JM seemed to be soundchecking for an extra 20 minutes and still couldn't get their sound right (and looked right pissed about it). Imogen dropped one of her samplers onstage, mucked up something on her laptop mid-performance, and couldn't hit her high notes. For a cult-fave of an artist she came off as a real fucking amateur.

Oh, and I will concur about Weezer's '05 main stage set. I heard rave reviews of their tour later that year but their Coachella show was an emotionless mail-in, and their fans were condescending pre-show and pushy mid-show. Add Weezer '05 to this poll kplzthxbye, I will vote for them 4 times.

frijolesdelaolla
01-28-2007, 11:19 PM
I was looking forward to see the Franz Ferdinand set last year, and it was fucking boring. I lost all interest in the band after seeing them live.

offyerhead
01-29-2007, 12:26 PM
BRMC in 2004

C DUB YA
01-29-2007, 12:27 PM
I heard both Franz and BMRC were boring - I did not see them

lindseyb
01-29-2007, 01:10 PM

I disagree. I saw him perform Digital Ash in San Francisco like 3 days after Coachella and he was great.

Stop Breathing
01-29-2007, 01:23 PM
I was completly bored for massive attack.
Not bad in a technical sense, love the groups work, but didn't work for me at coachella 06.

NeverMyopic
01-30-2007, 05:34 AM

My friends and sat against the fence by the beer garden eating (because you could hear them) - they sounded like shit. The tent seemed pretty packed as well...

jcconnors
01-30-2007, 08:57 AM
I got to make my quick reply and say that I found it really funny that AudioBullys 06 was on the survey, because I totally was not feeling it and you never know if its just you or is everyone getting that same vibe. One thing is for sure though, I am glad that I stuck around, because if I remember correctly, Daft Punk came on right after.
I also got to agree with [dual mood swings] with Beck 04 being a complete bore. Why did I stick around?!? Ahhh I was young and stupid.

Bliargh
01-30-2007, 10:06 AM
or thursday when what'shisface spent half the set vomitting

'THIS IS FOR MATTHEW SHEPPARDBALKGHA;LHARRRGHH!!!'

'05, the stage that arcade fire played at: the team on that stage needed to be fired immediately. Eisley was surprisingly really good, but I felt incredibly bad for them becasue they were struggling with tech difficulties and incompetent mixer most of the time... poor kids... and then, of course, the lead singer from Arcade Fire literally got electrocuted by his microphone later that day (or next day, whatever)

bartelby
01-30-2007, 10:28 AM
Teleprompters, all I gotta say....

is this true??? did New Order really use telepromters?? that is truly pathetic if they did...i was there and they were WEAK

i actually like Franz last year...i'm not a very big fan of theirs but was pleasantly surprised...

i totally can't remember their name but in '04 some band came on after Broken Social Scene and completely ruined the vibe by going off on a variety of topics (they were rappers or some type)....needless to say, we left quickly

madonna's gotta be the all time worst though - a total 2hour waste of time...i was bored silly - it was like a bad novelty act..."hey look madonna can play guitar" - yi-fucking-pee....

the cure was pretty weak too i guess....i was excited for that one - damn....

Boourns
01-31-2007, 01:12 AM
Sparta hit me in the head with a water bottle, while I was sitting and saving my strength for the GOOD acts to follow. It would have been forgivable if someone hadn't taken the bottle of water, or if Sparta didn't suck so hard.

vinylmartyr
01-31-2007, 02:14 AM
snap

phoenixsky
01-31-2007, 11:41 AM
Ha! That's great that Audio Bullys made the cut. They were so completely awful. Carl Cox should have opened for Daft Punk...at least he knows how to get a crowd moving. I was trying so hard to get into their set (I needed to do something with my pre-Daft Punk energy) but my body wasn't having it. I believe the quote of that hour was, "Are you fucking serious?"

Weezer was terrible also. That was my first year at Coachella and they were the main reason I went. Borrrr-iiiing.

As far as Madonna, I didn't see her...with good reason. She has always been an overrated piece of garbage, in my humble opinion. Not a good singer (by any means) but rather the perfect little marketing package that should have gone out with 80's fashion. I just sat outside the tent, observed all the suckers who paid just to see her bone out in a helicopter, and proceeded to mumble some shit talking to no one in particular. P.S. Just because you know how to hold a guitar doesn't mean you know how to play one. Dumb.

sonlockedwolf
01-31-2007, 12:09 PM
I would have to say Bright Eyes in 2005 was probably one of the worst and most boring shows I saw at Coachella. He only sang songs from probably one of his worst albums ever, Digital Ash in a Digital Urn, and the crowd was bored if you were there.

chairmenmeow47
01-31-2007, 12:42 PM
i was actually impressed by broken social scene in 2004 and the marriage proposal was cute.

franz ferdinand disappointed me as well. the dnb sounds of shy fx ended up sucking me away. shy fx was much better at coachella than when i saw him in tucson last year.

durrrrrrrrdee
01-31-2007, 12:57 PM
the worst performance i saw so far was MF Doom.
walked right outta that tent.

klepto
01-31-2007, 07:24 PM
I dont like madonna at all. I dont know why i wanted to see her. I missed mogwai to see madonna. Madonna sucked, i left 5 min into her set.

MakeItSantoriTimes
01-31-2007, 09:24 PM
I was looking forward to see the Franz Ferdinand set last year, and it was fucking boring. I lost all interest in the band after seeing them live.

i hate to admit it but i havent listened to them since that performance last year. I was fond of them but come to think of it lost complete interest after that performance... weird... we might be crazy cuz everyone else loved it.

-KRS-
02-01-2007, 07:45 AM
I had to endure the horrible vileness that were the Audio Bullys in order to experience the beautiful greatness that was Daft Punk. Audio Bullys *shudder*

CrackTheLoveCode
02-01-2007, 08:41 AM
I have to agree with Franz Ferdinand. I had seen them before and didn't think they were as boring as they were at Coachella. Other than that, Depeche Mode put me to bed. From what I'm hearing now I'm glad that I skipped out on New Order to go see Dresden Dolls.

bartelby
02-01-2007, 09:14 AM
i was actually impressed by broken social scene in 2004 and the marriage proposal was cute.

franz ferdinand disappointed me as well. the dnb sounds of shy fx ended up sucking me away. shy fx was much better at coachella than when i saw him in tucson last year.

i LOVED the broken social scene set (my fav chella performance of all time) - it was the band after them that sucked...

the marriage proposal rocked...

oh, and Weezer sucked too

laineinla
02-01-2007, 09:39 AM
didnt vote in the poll since i was only at one of those performances listed...

i don't think i've ever really thought someone was horrible, but I was extremely disappointed by Eagles of Death Metal last year (his voice was so all totally f'ed up and the crowd wasn't that into it and it was bad all around... and usually I think they put on such a REALLY FUN show).

i too was somewhat disappointed by new order in '05. i really wanted to love them but the whole thing with the singer complaining about his foot killed it.

and there was sigur ros in '06 (blech) vs. sigur ros in '01 (beautiful). i think the outside stage is totally inappropriate for them...

RickeyinLA
02-01-2007, 10:08 AM
I agree with KRS - Audio Bullys was the WORST thing to be held hostage at ever. I missed Depeche Mode in anticipation of Daft Punk in the Sahara, completely bewildered by what the Bullys were attempting. It wasn't even a trainwreck because the train never left the station. Hideous.

frijolesdelaolla
02-01-2007, 11:17 AM
CLAP YOUR HANDS AND SAY YEAH! SUCKED.

samiksha
02-01-2007, 11:23 AM
another vote for weezer in 05.

SFChrissy
02-01-2007, 02:07 PM
Yeah, I saw The Bravery, they played after Kasabian if I remeber right. They were okay, except they had equipment problems. They played a cool version of U2's A Cat Dubh, but that was about it. Guess it wasn't that memmorable as I quickly lost interest in them after I saw them.

Yeah...same here...Kasabian was pretty tight and left 'bout 3 songs into bravery

Madonna...that bitch is a piece of shit...45 minutes late to stage while Mogwai was playing and you couldn't hear her for crap...she's all hype 'n no action...and was just dying to take her fucking clothes off!!! But Massive Attack totally made up for it

maxine123
02-02-2007, 09:43 PM
Paul Oakenfold Sucks
He sucked at coachella but I gave him one more chance, and my brother convinced me to see him again last year somewhere else.. big mistk...
He's full of himself , He's crappy to his fans...
- He will suck anywhere he goes. that's just him
Better to listen without him.. plus he is about 90 years old or something

BBCgirl
02-03-2007, 10:03 PM
I was at the very front for Madonna, and waited 4 hours in the sweltering heat (that tent was hot!). And as a big Madonna fan, it was not worth it. Even in the front it was hard to see her, and only 5 songs? Please.

pewter14
02-06-2007, 08:16 PM
BRMC in 2004

It took 50 posts, but someone finally nailed my vote ...

As for why ... they had major technical issues, blew out several amps, had spans of 5-8 minutes at a time with no music, no vocals, no nothing ... played several songs acoustic (half the band played at least) and left 10 minutes early visably upset at the horrificness that was their set.

I agree with some of the points made regarding:

Weezer was weak, and that's being generous ... Franz disappointed me ... Wolf Parade came on late with technical issues of their own (so, a bit disappointing).

I disagree with:

Death Cab (not a typically masterful performance, but the worst ever? nah, they did a great job on Transatlanticism, and hey, they're cats from Washington playing a 3 pm set in the desert, can you blame them for wearing all white jump suits?)

woogie846
02-06-2007, 08:26 PM
I really didn't like Depeche Mode.

keybump
02-07-2007, 06:59 AM
But loud

dflood75
02-09-2007, 08:38 PM
madonna made baby jesus cry

dancepantsmcgants
02-11-2007, 04:35 PM
As much as it pains me to say it, I think Bright Eyes in '05 was the worst Coachella show I have seen. I'm a big fan, but that show was pretty aweful.

Fixer808
02-11-2007, 06:50 PM
I'm a firm believer in the fact that Oakenfold is overrated, but I have to admit that while he was playing his set I wandered up to the back of the crowd. The sun had just started going down, and there were lasers shooting out over the desert. It was eerie, in a cool, serene sort of way, and I wasn't even high.

All That I Am
02-11-2007, 07:09 PM
weezer was freakin' weaksauce

suprefan
02-11-2007, 07:48 PM
Which year of Weezer though........

MTB was really good that day, I dont know what you were thinking.... Maybe if they were in the Mojave you might have liked it better..... Besides everyone was waiting for Bloc Party while watching them....

fac429
02-11-2007, 07:59 PM
Madonna owns this poll, and for good reason.

But where's Keane on this thing? They bored me a couple years ago. And though they would soon enjoy Big Rock Success, the Killers were kinda disappointing in '04.

I gotta say that I loved New Order's set- not because I thought it was a good set, but in some way it was a very New Order-y set in its semi-chaos. My favorite moment was when they were playing "Your Silent Face", and instead of coming in with his bass line Hooky was over at the side of the stage talking to some dude... like I said, not a great performance, but substandard performances are part of what makes New Order endearing to a guy like me...

becomingcloser
02-15-2007, 06:55 AM

HEAR HEAR! i'll drink to that.

romeoisbleeding
02-15-2007, 07:05 AM
Sparta '04 -- the lead singer apologized during their set....nuff said

Weezer '05 -- shockingly boring for a band in that slot

Bloc Party '06 -- big time disappointment after '05 (and I saw them in Brooklyn last summer (GREAT)

2007----To Be Determined

woogie846
02-15-2007, 06:17 PM

Really? I actually really liked Franz Ferdinand last year.

meyouseek
02-16-2007, 11:17 AM
Ladytron disappointed me last year. Anyone else catch their set? I left after a few songs.

Maybe I was expecting something else.

I enjoyed the Audio Bullys set, but they certainly weren't as good as I'd hoped.

RickeyinLA
02-16-2007, 07:59 PM
Oh, come on.

It is impossible for another human being to say that they even remotely enjoyed that Audio Bullys set. They were a two-handed nose-holder.

dilligaffa
02-16-2007, 08:23 PM
ANIMAL COLLECTIVE PEOPLE!...

WHY HASN'T ANYONE MENTIONED ANIMAL COLLECTIVE??

We were just trying to have lunch on the grass and they blew SO MUCH, we actually had to pack our lunch and walk away.

ANIMAL COLLECTIVE, never again

Phoenix
02-16-2007, 10:01 PM
Let's see..

Weezer, I completely agree with. It was terrible.
Bright Eyes, I was looking forward to seeing em play, but I was so bored I left.
James Blunt, wretched.
Thursday, only cuz I hate that "hardcore" crap.
The Flaming Lips, could have been the fact that I had been standing up squashed against people for 9 hours so I'd be in front for the Cure. I can't even remember what they sound like, I just remember I wanted to die.
Nikka Costa, it was just screaming.

That's all I can think of right now. I'm sure there is more.

ayates
02-17-2007, 01:51 PM
Deerhoof last year.

airguitarvet
02-18-2007, 06:23 AM
madonna wasnt kinda boring. still cant believe she was there.

flora mouse
02-18-2007, 06:51 AM
Having not been to coachella ever before I'm trying to imagine the vision of what the promoters are trying to do.

There seems to be such a diversity of musicians to see that I find it weird that people would complain about not liking a band. If you dont like what you're hearing, go see something else?

Anyway, whilst I'm on my high horse, someone ealier in this thread mentioned that OASIS should have been on that poll. WHAAAAAT>??????????

IMHO, they are one of the greatest live rock acts ever - well, at least they used to be.

And I agree wholeheartedly with Madonna. Why was she even on the bill? Doesnt seem in context.

anyway, there's my tuppence worth.

Flora out.

x

worldwide2020
02-18-2007, 04:19 PM

They really blew, glad I left to see the Secret Machines. Kinda sad.

back4more
02-18-2007, 06:36 PM
I have to agree with Franz Ferdinand. I had seen them before and didn't think they were as boring as they were at Coachella. Other than that, Depeche Mode put me to bed. From what I'm hearing now I'm glad that I skipped out on New Order to go see Dresden Dolls.

I've seen Franz a few times and the crowd is usually jumping as they normally put on a great show. I saw them at Coachella last year though and it was a pretty flat performance. The crowd was strangely subdued though and I think that kinda rubbed off on the band. It was really quiet. Maybe it was all the moody Depeche Mode (who were on after Franz) fans in the audience that accounted for the lack of atmosphere.

But Daft Punk didn't half make up for all that later on. What a show.

MsMorrisine
02-18-2007, 08:02 PM
Julian Casblancas from The Strokes in 2002 seemed to be faking drunk. He was singing intelligibly, but the apparent fake drunk routine ruined it for me. I have been to just the 02 shows, but that was a bad performance, maybe not the worst performance of all, but it was bad. Oakenfold's 02 show was great, but not as great as the Chemical Bothers 02. I heard Beck showed in 02, but unfortunately I missed him.

MsMorrisine
02-18-2007, 08:07 PM
Having not been to coachella ever before I'm trying to imagine the vision of what the promoters are trying to do.

There seems to be such a diversity of musicians to see that I find it weird that people would complain about not liking a band. If you dont like what you're hearing, go see something else?

Anyway, whilst I'm on my high horse, someone ealier in this thread mentioned that OASIS should have been on that poll. WHAAAAAT>??????????

IMHO, they are one of the greatest live rock acts ever - well, at least they used to be.

And I agree wholeheartedly with Madonna. Why was she even on the bill? Doesnt seem in context.

anyway, there's my tuppence worth.

Flora out.

x

Well, the music IS diverse.

If some are hating the shows because they hate the musicians, then that's not what this thread is about.

Read through some of the posts... you'll see some people were there to hear some good music, and heard some bad sessions instead.

I am not a fan of Jack Johnson, but he played a good set in 02. Julian Casblancas and the Strokes? Bad. Go do the lame drunk act on MTV.

ajane
02-21-2007, 05:58 PM
beastie boys were pretty baaad. i liked them before i saw them live. and james blunt? no no no no NO.

SneakySneak
02-22-2007, 09:15 PM
Kanye West sucked too. Fcker came out late like the prima donna (c)rapper that he is.. Too good for the masses..

SmokesQuantity
02-24-2007, 12:00 AM
I've been to every single Coachella and hands-down the worst performance I've seen is Nikka Costa in 2001. Not so much her performance, but the fact that her sound check LASTED A WHOLE FUCKING HOUR AND 15 MINUTES. This totally killed the second half of the day since I wanted to see St. Germain, Roni Size and Gangstarr, who were playing on the Outdoor Theater Stage back-to-back-to-back. Nikka Costa's epic sound check pushed the whole rest of the schedule off and resulted in 30 minute sets for St. Germain and Roni Size and Gangstarr only played for about 20 minutes before their amps were literally cut off (I kid you not) at 12:15 AM. Meanwhile, I missed out on Sigur Ros, Thievery Corporation and Aphex Twin. Fucking Nikka Costa...I wish I could do that year all over again.

thelastgreatman
02-25-2007, 04:49 PM
Sleater Kinney in 06 was hands-down the most unpleasant aural experience I've ever had. The entire crowd staking out the front of the stage for Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Tool just dispersed it was so blindingly painful, I can't believe no one's mentioned that yet.

wstsidela
03-01-2007, 02:32 PM

I did and they were great.

Jem in '04 played quite a few songs, but her whole set seemed like it would feel more appropriate on Pleasure Island at Disney World as opposed to the Polo Grounds.

lol! I agree. I think Lily Allen is taking that spot this year.

it sounded like Digital Ass

I really didn't like Depeche Mode.

big let down.

Deerhoof last year.

Bingo!!! The Fiery Furnaces were a close second.

rage patton
03-02-2007, 09:41 AM
Thursday. I didnt see them at Coachella. But I have had the unfortunate experience of witnessing them live. Horrrrrrrrrrible.

faxman75
03-02-2007, 09:55 AM
I'm a pretty big weezer fan and that '05 set did indeed suck but Weezers fan base has always turned me off and annoyed me as well. I saw them later that year and they put on a fantastic show with the Foo Fighters, that Coachella set lacked any and all emotion and the set list was just plain blah, much like the Make Believe album. Over prodoced.

C DUB YA
03-04-2007, 04:50 PM
I agree with the nikka costa thing in 01 - crazy bad, made me miss a lot of Sigur.

Dickinabox
03-04-2007, 06:58 PM
You forgot:
Sparta 04
Howie Day 04
James Blunt 06

Wasn't there in 04', but i thought Audio Bullys were so horrible. I fell asleep during their performance so i could get ready for Daft Punk. I also remember waiting for Metric to play and seeing people fleeing in terror after James Blunt failed to attempt a Pixies cover at the end of his performance.

bartelby
03-06-2007, 11:35 AM
yeech....i remember that pixies cover...we were there to see metric as well and got caught up in the blunt suck-tac-ular

rage patton
03-06-2007, 03:11 PM
Was Madonna ACTUALLY that bad? Or are biased people just commenting on how they already didnt like her music.
Like, I dont like her music, but from what Ive read about her concerts in reviews, she puts on entertaining shows... whether or not you like the music.
I dunno Im just curious.

Dickinabox
03-21-2007, 03:22 PM
Was Madonna ACTUALLY that bad? Or are biased people just commenting on how they already didnt like her music.
Like, I dont like her music, but from what Ive read about her concerts in reviews, she puts on entertaining shows... whether or not you like the music.
I dunno Im just curious.

From what i heard, she took 45 minutes to set up and only played four songs which were horrid. So i am glad i wasn't like my friends who said "I'm going to go over there just to say i saw Madonna."
Big mistake on their part.

Sleater Kinney in 06 was hands-down the most unpleasant aural experience I've ever had. The entire crowd staking out the front of the stage for Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Tool just dispersed it was so blindingly painful, I can't believe no one's mentioned that yet

Yeah i was there after Wolf Parade finished up and that was the a really bad 20 minute span of Sleater-Kinney

woootcoachellababy!
03-25-2007, 08:58 PM
the platinum peid pipers.
total shit.

grungysabbathemohater
03-27-2007, 03:10 PM
I have been a Depeche Mode fan for 15- 20 years, and saw them for the first time last year at Coachella. And although they sounded pretty good, they were mostly boring. The energy and song selections were just weak until almost the end of the set.....disappointing show.

I was surprised to see Ben Harper added to this poll. I have never seen him live, but he seems like one of those 'jam-type' performers that would put on a really soulful show.

geO723
04-04-2007, 12:55 PM

OMG you must be on crack. Not only does Mars Volta suck live but i almost vomitted while listening to them play before the chili peppers last year. They are a decent band after some massive editing in a studio, but live...each member is in his own world playing at his own place. No melody, no unity, no talent. nuff said

Senor Cardgage
04-04-2007, 01:46 PM
Black Eyed Peas are kinda lame, but fuck if they arent a great live act.
The energy level, the dancing, thats performance kids.

Michelle
04-05-2007, 04:41 AM
madonna wasn't that bad, it was just that we were all jam packed in a freaking hot tent for like an hour waiting for her to come out. then she comes out playing about 5 songs (almost not of which did i know) and then that was it. she has great theatrics and dancers, etc. but it definitely was such a long wait for such a short set.

as for weezer, i don't think the sound was really working during their performance. i couldn't hear shit. when i've seen them perform before, there were great.

BBCgirl
04-05-2007, 06:30 AM
Ladytron in 06. Best thing about it was I was standing next to Scott Speedman the whole time. The set was boring as hell

Madonna was weak, seen her 5 times and she is usually so entertaining, not this time.

misculare
04-06-2007, 07:54 AM
I agree that Ladytron's performance last year was lacking. I really like them, but was disappointed by how awful the Witching Hour material went over. They didn't seem into it at all. I thought they were better in '03 after they were so late to their set.

I think the saddest I've ever been was at Roots Manuva in '05. I LOVE his records but I just didn't feel like the performance was very good. It may have just been a combination of the mid-day heat and everyone in the tent sitting down, but it was one of those sets I didn't mind leaving after ten minutes (and that made me sad).

psycobetabuckdown
04-16-2007, 12:29 AM
OMG you must be on crack. Not only does Mars Volta suck live but i almost vomitted while listening to them play before the chili peppers last year. They are a decent band after some massive editing in a studio, but live...each member is in his own world playing at his own place. No melody, no unity, no talent. nuff said

I'm assuming you've seen them once...they're known as a hit-or-miss live band. I've seen them once, opening for RHCP, and they were great.

So, I guess the winner for worst performance ever is either Weezer 05 or Madonna 06? They seem to have gotten the most votes. Weezer wasn't even on the poll, so I'd consider them winners. Congratulations to them.

sonlockedwolf
04-21-2007, 02:45 PM
Depeche Mode was so horrible, I fuckin left to go see Daft Punk(satisfied)...My friend is still in denial that Depeche Mode wasn't horrible. And I couldn't believe they were selling that performance on CD/DVD for $35 by the t-shirt tents.

sp12ite
04-21-2007, 10:14 PM
Weezer 05. Lame crowd--those stupid kids all stood in front of me during Wilco, i've never seen so many people dress like each other in all my life. AND yah, no excitement on stage, even their fun songs like in the garage were boring.

Worst comment ever--Chris Martin, when Coldplay took the stage: "Thank you all for waiting all day to finally hear us" (or something to that effect...does anyone have that shit recorded? What an ass)

Weatherman
04-22-2007, 10:42 PM
BRMC - 2004 - I think they only played like what, two songs? All I remember was that they didn't check their equipment enough beforehand and ended up having technical difficulties every five seconds.

Audio Bullys - 2006 - That MC guy looked bored out of his skull. But the visuals were pretty, and all the empty spaces got me closer to Daft Punk, so I can thank them for that!

Paul Oakenfold - 2006 - I've seen him before and enjoyed his previous performances, but damn, he was slugging it last year. Maybe it was the Madonna fans.

SEEDYMIG420
01-07-2008, 11:55 PM
It's a tie!!! Madona & Rage against the Machine both sucked the big "CHooPon", "Corneta", "Guevos", "Chorizo"......ASS!!! I call it like I see it, so don't be mad & don't hate.

thestripe
01-09-2008, 01:29 PM
Snow Patrol - 2005

LarbFlonsen
01-09-2008, 01:41 PM
Air 2007

NeverMyopic
01-11-2008, 08:27 AM
i agree with this too!!! i practically fell asleep.

I know I put Blur in '03, but yeah, Weezer put me to sleep as well, kinda sucked. That's OK though, then I had a second wind for the rest of the night.

MaxPowers
01-14-2008, 02:10 PM
Definitely Kanye '06, extremely unprepared, came out singing a different song than his dj and then started talkin shit to his own back-up singers with his mic still on. To top it off, he actually asked the crowd to yell out songs they wanted to hear,
classic.

fiopadp7791
01-24-2008, 01:40 PM

I liked Minus the Bear. I hadn't heard of them before that set and they were a nice prep for that kickass Bloc Party set right after.

I thought Phoenix sucked in '06. I was looking forward to seeing them and I was... to put it kindly, underwhelmed.

fiopadp7791
01-24-2008, 01:44 PM
the platinum peid pipers.
total shit.

Are you kidding!? They were very entertaining. One of the surprises of '06 I thought. Are you just not a fan of soul/funk, or did you not liek them?

Skull08
02-04-2008, 11:25 PM
Sparta in 2004 sucked so much ass... there were a lot of people pushing trying to get a good spot for the Pixies, it was too fuckin hot that day and the music SUCKED... horrible singing and shitty music...

Peaches in 2007 was idiotic... " shake your dicks, shake your tits ", had to get away from there...

gaypalmsprings
05-10-2008, 08:24 PM
You getting excited about Madonna's 2008 tour?

Memorial_07
05-10-2008, 09:31 PM
Placebo: 07

frozen pilgrim
05-10-2008, 10:36 PM
scars on broadway 08

greghead
05-10-2008, 10:43 PM
Sean Penn -- Main Stage 2008