PDA

View Full Version : The Phoenix Thread!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 [87] 88

getbetter
07-23-2012, 03:49 PM
Has anyone been to the address brewery in Tuscon because that place seems great .Also Bell's brewery which is amazing is available in AZ but not CA which is strange.

captncrzy
07-23-2012, 04:33 PM
I've never even heard of it.

locachica73
07-23-2012, 05:12 PM
I remember big dust storms years ago, but I never remember them being called haboobs until now.

westcoastpirate
07-23-2012, 06:40 PM
Has anyone been to the address brewery in Tuscon because that place seems great .Also Bell's brewery which is amazing is available in AZ but not CA which is strange.

Love 2 Hearted and Oberon. Going to have to research this Address Brewery you speak of.

chairmenmeow47
07-23-2012, 08:21 PM
i don't know why the fuck everyone calls them haboobs now, but we have always had monsoon summers with big dust storms. we just used to get more rain with them. i grew up way far west when it was still the sticks. we'd lose power and set-up chairs in the garage to watch the storm. sometimes the winds were so strong, you couldn't even get out of your car. once my grandpa and i had to just sit in the driveway and wait for it to pass before going in the house.

and zack, message me when you kknow about your trip!!! i have a couch if you need it :)

Gribbz
07-23-2012, 08:47 PM
I've never heard of the "Address Brewery" and I've lived in Tucson for a while.

captncrzy
07-24-2012, 07:54 AM
I bet he's thinking of "Nimbus".

amyzzz
07-24-2012, 09:36 AM
I think haboob is funny. That's why I use it.

M Sparks
07-24-2012, 09:50 AM
I bet he's thinking of "Nimbus".

It's real, but apparently very confusingly named.
http://untappd.com/brewery/20220
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/17783

westcoastpirate
07-24-2012, 02:30 PM
It's real, but apparently very confusingly named.
http://untappd.com/brewery/20220
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/17783

1702/The Address Brewery:
http://www.1702az.com/

Getbetter, if you are coming to sample AZ brews, I second the idea of hitting up Papago Brewery:
http://papagobrewing.com/

...as well as OHSO:
http://ohsobrewery.com/

...and Flanny's:
http://www.flannys.com/

ramblinon
07-24-2012, 03:04 PM
OHSO is a cool place. My cousin took me there a couple years back when I went to visit.

chairmenmeow47
08-02-2012, 06:13 AM
SAVE THE DATE! SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 29TH!

this will be a welcome home amy from SD/hopefully i'll not be puking at this time rock band extraveganza!!!!!!!!!!

downingthief
08-02-2012, 08:13 AM
SAVE THE DATE! SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 29TH!

this will be a welcome home amy from SD/hopefully i'll not be puking at this time rock band extraveganza!!!!!!!!!!

Giddy up!

amyzzz
08-02-2012, 09:03 AM
Yay! Damnit I am going to miss Amy while she is gone.

chairmenmeow47
08-02-2012, 09:19 AM
me too :(

i have really taken to painting though, and would be happy to host a painting party soon in her absence :) we can enjoy amy vicariously by surrounding ourselves with people named amy and painting LOL

amyzzz
08-02-2012, 09:27 AM
hahaha

locachica73
08-02-2012, 09:29 AM
I will miss her too.

I liked painting to, I should go out and buy myself some paints and practice. :)

amyzzz
08-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Audra, I really like your painting. You're good!

Timestretch
08-07-2012, 10:13 AM
Although late to the game, I really like that Tempe no longer has speed cameras. Not that I'm speed racer in my shitty car or anything, but it's nice to not have cars in front of you slam on the brakes when they drive past the cameras.

And World of Beers opens today. I might get out of bed to check it out.

locachica73
08-07-2012, 10:24 AM
I am excited to not be poor one day so I can check out World of Beers.

captncrzy
08-07-2012, 11:09 AM
Although late to the game, I really like that Tempe no longer has speed cameras. Not that I'm speed racer in my shitty car or anything, but it's nice to not have cars in front of you slam on the brakes when they drive past the cameras.

And World of Beers opens today. I might get out of bed to check it out.

I think it's just a Facebook friend party tonight; says Aug 8 for full opening.

I'm happy the menus are finally up.

TomAz
08-15-2012, 08:57 AM
This may be the single most worthwhile thing the Arizona Republic has ever done. Seriously.

http://www.azcentral.com/projects/news/politics/dekook/

amyzzz
08-15-2012, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the link.

downingthief
08-15-2012, 09:47 AM
This may be the single most worthwhile thing the Arizona Republic has ever done. Seriously.

http://www.azcentral.com/projects/news/politics/dekook/

Ha! I was JUST about to post this!! Couldn't agree more.

NachoCat
08-15-2012, 10:55 AM
Still got ID fest tickets for sale $25 each. They are selling for 40 right now

Mr. Dylanja
08-15-2012, 10:57 AM
Still got ID fest tickets for sale $25 each. They are selling for 40 right now

Let me know when you're ready to give them to me :winkiss

NachoCat
08-15-2012, 11:03 AM
:laughyou

downingthief
08-17-2012, 02:09 PM
Happy Hour? Anyone? Anywhere?

Courtney
08-17-2012, 02:10 PM
Give me six hours.

downingthief
08-17-2012, 02:14 PM
Give me six hours.

For you Courtney, I'll give you 7.

captncrzy
08-17-2012, 02:22 PM
I'd love to but my mouth is bugging me and we're supposed to go to kickboxing tonight. Verdammt.

downingthief
08-17-2012, 02:23 PM
I'd love to but my mouth is bugging me and we're supposed to go to kickboxing tonight. Verdammt.

I'm tired of your excuses.

captncrzy
08-17-2012, 02:24 PM
Just bad timing.

amyzzz
08-17-2012, 02:26 PM
I work until 6 after all the happy hours are over.

amyzzz
08-26-2012, 06:53 PM
I just realized the primary election is on Tuesday, and I haven't decided who to vote for. This is when I feel bad about not reading any local news. or watching tv news.

TomAz
08-26-2012, 07:07 PM
spend the day at work tomorrow researching which candidates are the least bad.

amyzzz
08-26-2012, 07:15 PM
I can bring my ballot to work. I really don't want to vote for a Flake though. And I need to write in someone other than Arpaio.

chairmenmeow47
09-05-2012, 05:15 PM
anyone see this? same retarded hospital that messed up my ultrasound and almost wheeled me into surgery for the wrong reason. then made me fast for 12 hours, go through the exact same, extremely painful (to the point of screaming) ultrasound, only to refuse to operate to find the problem. they charged me $25,000 for iv meds, tests, and talking to doctors for five seconds a day. my insurance company only paid like a fifth of that, but without insurance, i'd owe the whole thing.

anyway, this is retarded. how on earth can this shit cost this lady $20,000+ AFTER insurance?!?!

http://www.azcentral.com/community/ahwatukee/articles/2012/08/31/20120831scorpion-sting-leaves-woman-big-bill.html

Scorpion sting leaves Ahwatukee woman with a big bill

by Ken Alltucker - Sept. 4, 2012 11:50 AM
The Republic | azcentral.com

Marcie Edmonds was tearing open a box of air-conditioner filters in her garage last June when she felt a sharp sting in her abdomen.

The 52-year-old Ahwatukee Foothills woman had never felt a scorpion sting before that day. She had no intention of seeking medical help, but within an hour of the sting, Edmonds' mild tingling sensation worsened with throat tightness, blurry vision, darting eyes and tense muscles. She could not walk and had trouble breathing.

Scorpion anti-venom has stinging cost

With the help of a friend, she called Poison Control and was advised to go to the nearest hospital that had scorpion antivenom, Chandler Regional Medical Center. At the hospital, an emergency room doctor told her about the antivenom, called Anascorp, that could quickly relieve her symptoms. Edmonds said the physician never talked with her about the cost of the drug or treatment alternatives.

Her symptoms subsided after she received two doses of the drug Anascorp through an IV, and she was discharged from the hospital in about three hours.

Weeks later, she received a bill for $83,046 from Chandler Regional Medical Center. The hospital, owned by Dignity Health, charged her $39,652 per dose of Anascorp.

The Arizona Republic reported last year about the pricey markup Arizona hospitals were charging for the antivenom made in Mexico. Pharmacies in Mexico charge about $100 per dose.

After the Food and Drug Administration approved the drug last year, Tennessee-based Rare Disease Therapeutics sold the drug to a distributor for $3,500 per dose. The distributor charged hospitals about $3,780 per dose.

The Republic polled several hospitals in November, finding that hospital charges for the serum ranged from $7,900 to $12,467 per vial. At the time, Chandler Regional declined to tell The Republic how much it charged for Anascorp.

Edmonds' insurer, Humana, has paid Chandler Regional $57,509 for the bill. The hospital has asked Edmonds for the balance of $25,537.

Chandler Regional issued a statement indicating that Edmonds' charges represented the out-of-network costs for her treatment. Chandler Regional is not part of Humana's network, so she was charged the hospital's full billing rate.

"We believe no one should delay seeking needed medical care because they lack insurance or have high medical costs," the hospital's statement said.

Edmonds, who is a counselor, knows the intricacies of health-care billing, but she believes the hospital's wholesale charges should be explained to the public.

She was astonished to see the amount she was charged. "Everyone I talk to says, 'You've got to be kidding,' " when she explains her bill.

locachica73
09-05-2012, 05:19 PM
I saw that, my company has been doing a bunch of construction at that hospital. Gotta make money for that new wing somehow.

Somewhat Damaged
09-05-2012, 06:08 PM
She really should take better care not to get stung by scorpions.

TomAz
09-11-2012, 08:21 PM
RICHARD CARMONA FOR SENATE

He's in a dead heat with Jeff Flake right now. Flake is a bizarro-world tea party mormon. Carmona is a moderate who has broad bipartisan support - he was Bush2's Surgeon General. Puerto Rican heritage, born in the Bronx, dropped out of high school, then wound up getting his GED, college degree, and MD. His time as Surgeon General was not pleasant:

On July 10, 2007, Carmona, along with former Surgeons General C. Everett Koop and David Satcher, testified before the United States House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform about political and ideological interference with the Surgeon General's mission. Carmona accused the Bush Administration of preventing him from speaking out on certain public health issues such as embryonic stem cell research, global climate change, emergency contraception, and abstinence-only sex education, where the Administration's political stance conflicted with scientific and medical opinion.

Carmona also testified that the Bush Administration had attempted for years to "water down" his report on the dangers of secondhand smoke and pressured him not to testify in the tobacco industry's racketeering trial: "Anything that doesn't fit into the political appointees' ideological, theological or political agenda is ignored, marginalized or simply buried." According to Carmona, he was even ordered not to attend the Special Olympics because the event was sponsored by the Kennedy family, and was told to mention President Bush three times on every page of his speeches. The Washington Post subsequently identified William R. Steiger as the Bush Administration official who had blocked release of Carmona's report on global health because it conflicted with the Administration's political priorities.

Reuters reported that Carmona's predecessors as Surgeon General had acknowledged the high level of political interference he experienced, saying: "We have never seen it as partisan, as malicious, as vindictive, as mean-spirited as it is today, and you clearly have worse than anyone's had."

You know the Mormon inbreds will rally their pasty white Borg to generate a lot of votes for Flake, whose ancestors have been bossing people around in Arizona for 100 years (the town of Snowflake, Az, is named for his family). It is time to show the country that Arizona is not ruled exclusively by the freaks, that we have a majority of sensible people who will vote in a thoughtful, balanced man over an extremist fucktard. Carmona's record speaks for itself, all we have to do is point it out to our friends and coworkers and neighbors. Some of them might be swayed by the facts.

Somewhat Damaged
09-11-2012, 09:42 PM
He's got my vote.

TomAz
09-12-2012, 04:54 AM
I am asking for more than your vote, Rick. I am asking that you become active. All that's required is telling people the facts.

Flake was educated at Brigham Young University and was a Mormon missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to South Africa in the early 1980s. He worked in the public affairs sector after college and served as Executive Director of the Foundation for Democracy in Namibia and Executive Director of the Goldwater Institute before entering the House of Representatives. He lobbied against economic sanctions on South Africa's apartheid regime in the 1980s.

In his campaign in 2000, Flake had pledged to serve no more than three terms in Congress, leaving no later than January 2007, but in early 2005, shortly after being elected for a third time, Flake announced that he had changed his mind and would in fact run for re-election in 2006. "It was a mistake to limit my own terms," Flake said

one of eight House members to receive a 100% approval rating from the American Conservative Union. Flake voted against the Troubled Asset Relief Program ("TARP")

In December 2010, Flake was one of fifteen Republican House members to vote in favor of repealing the United States military's "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" ban on openly gay service members. Flake had voted to amend the U.S. Constitution to ban same-sex marriage with a Federal Marriage Amendment in 2004 and 2006.

In contrast, Dr Carmona:

Throughout my time as U.S. Surgeon General, I remained steadfast in my belief that every woman should have access to comprehensive health care, including retaining access to reproductive health care options and FDA-approved prescription contraceptives.

As a medical doctor, I know that a woman’s access and choice of reproductive health care options is an intensely personal decision left best decided by a woman and her physician. I also believe it is important to reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies in the United States through supporting medically-accurate, comprehensive sex education for our kids, taking steps to prevent teen pregnancy and providing access to pre-natal care for all women.

Arizona’s education system routinely ranks near the bottom of the nation. That’s unforgivable, and we need to fix it. In recent years, the political extremists who control Arizona’s legislature have cut more than $1 billion from our schools and they fail to see that their actions will have crippling economic consequences for our future. We need to ensure that our students are prepared to lead the world in innovation, research, and technology. It’s time we reset our priorities and ensure that education remains at the top. That starts with protecting and reinvesting in our public schools.

We need to overhaul our immigration laws and support a comprehensive approach that is practical, tough and fair. That means securing the border, cracking down on drug and human smuggling, punishing companies who knowingly hire illegal immigrants, and eliminating a nefarious labor market that exploits those living in the shadows of our society. We should also pass the DREAM Act that creates a path to legalization for children, who, through no fault of their own, were brought into this country at a young age, have worked hard and are either going to college or have enlisted in the military.

http://www.carmonaforarizona.com/get-involved/volunteer

amyzzz
09-12-2012, 06:59 AM
Thanks for the fact tidbits, Tom. I'm on Carmona's Facebook page at least.

amyzzz
09-20-2012, 04:54 PM
The Master and Samara are playing in theatres this weekend! Samsara has actually already been playing the Valley Art this week, but I just found out.

Mr. Dylanja
09-20-2012, 04:56 PM
I saw Samsara last Saturday, and it really is amazing.

Mr. Dylanja
09-20-2012, 05:04 PM
And I'll also add that the moon looked really cool over Mezzza on Tuesday.

locachica73
09-20-2012, 07:11 PM
So it's perfect patio weather and I need an escape, if anyone is interested there is a group of us getting together in Tempe tomorrow for happy hour. Macayo's in Tempe. I will probably be there around 3:30 or 4:00, if anyone else wants to come hang out please do. :)

NachoCat
09-21-2012, 07:48 AM
And I'll also add that the moon looked really cool over Mezzza on Tuesday.

All this week its been super rad. Ive noticed it at least 3 times. Super low crescent moon almost an orange color.

downingthief
09-21-2012, 02:12 PM
Hey, all. My office is looking for a front desk receptionist/clerical person. If anyone is looking for a job in that area, or knows anyone, hit me up. We are located in downtown Scottsdale.

westcoastpirate
09-21-2012, 02:42 PM
Hey, all. My office is looking for a front desk receptionist/clerical person. If anyone is looking for a job in that area, or knows anyone, hit me up. We are located in downtown Scottsdale.

From the Open Letters to Specific Organizations thread...

haha

Dear Common Sense:

Because I am too fucking nice and couldn't quit prior to my coworker taking her long planned 2.5 week vacation. Being nice is a bitch! But I am looking so if you know anyone who needs some office help, hook a girl up!

Sincerely,
Nice girls finish last

TomAz
09-27-2012, 01:16 PM
September 26, 2012
Small-Town Politics, All-Out War

By TAMARA AUDI

QUARTZSITE, Ariz.—This tiny desert outpost is known for 70-degree winters, an annual gem show that draws thousands of visitors, and a nudist bookstore owner who conducts business in little more than flip-flops and a straw hat.

But these days, the town's most extraordinary feature is its politics.

For months, officials in Quartzsite—which lies about halfway between Phoenix and Palm Springs, Calif., on Interstate 10—have so far refused to allow the mayor-elect to take office because he owes the town $2,200 in attorney's fees.

In late August, the town manager put the police chief on paid administrative leave pending an investigation over allegations involving a time sheet. A few days later, the town council suspended the town manager for undisclosed reasons—after the town's attorney filed a restraining order against the town council to stop it meeting.

The town manager said she couldn't comment on her suspension because "no one gave me a reason."

In September, the assistant town manager fired the police chief without consulting the town council, according to other town officials. Days later, the interim town manager reversed the chief's firing, and suspended the assistant town manager pending an investigation into an undisclosed matter. The assistant manager couldn't be reached for comment. On Tuesday, the town council voted to put the police chief back on the job.

"We're calling this the Twilight Zone in Quartzsite," said Ed Foster, the elected, but so far unseated, mayor who has filed a complaint in superior court to force the town to install him. Mr. Foster, 70 years old, began humming the music from the television show, and said, "Every day we get up and ask, 'What's going to happen today?'"

On Tuesday night, Mr. Foster's lawyer said an attorney hired by the town called to discuss a potential settlement deal that would include seating Mr. Foster as mayor. The deal hasn't been finalized yet, said his lawyer, Julie LaBenz. If a deal isn't reached, she said Mr. Foster will move ahead with a court hearing due next week.

The interim town manager, Laura Bruno, said Wednesday a lawyer for the town briefed the town council in closed session about Mr. Foster's case. Ms. Bruno said the council made no decision on a settlement deal, and would still have to vote to seat Mr. Foster. She said the intent of the attorney was "to open a line of communication with Mr. Foster's attorney."

The turmoil caught the attention of state and federal officials. The Arizona Department of Public Safety has investigated corruption complaints against town officials four times in the past two years and recently began a fifth probe of the police chief over the alleged false filing of a time sheet, a Department of Public Safety spokesman said. The chief, Jeff Gilbert, has denied any wrongdoing.

The attorney for La Paz County, which includes Quartzsite, said he asked the Federal Bureau of Investigation to investigate town officials for possible corruption. An FBI spokesman said he couldn't confirm or deny any probe.

The unrest boils down to a struggle between two groups: on one side, some current and former town leaders who say they are being targeted by activists who oppose development; on the other side, activists and the mayor-elect who claim city officials are hiding corruption and targeting them for criticizing town leaders. In interviews, the officials have denied the accusations.

The standoff has divided the town and set its residents on edge. "You just feel it's a powder keg in Quartzsite, and something is going to set it off," said Shelly Baker, recorder for La Paz County.

Isolated on the western edge of Arizona, Quartzsite was once a mining area and way station for travelers, later becoming popular with retirees for its mild winters. Its population jumps to 100,000 in the winter from 3,500 the rest of the year.

Political intrigue in the town dates back to at least 1995, when the then-mayor was convicted of hiring a hit man to try to kill his political rival. His conviction was overturned, and he was back in office six months later.

In 2005, Mr. Foster, a retired engineer for gum-maker Wrigley, moved to Quartzsite from Chicago and successfully ran for mayor in 2010 on a platform of financial transparency.

After he was elected, Mr. Foster asked state police to investigate the city's police chief, saying he improperly used vacation time. Mr. Gilbert countered by asking state officials to investigate Mr. Foster and his allies for allegedly manufacturing evidence against him. Town residents and former police employees have accused Mr. Gilbert of harassing, firing or arresting them due to their political views. Mr. Gilbert denies that and calls the accusations "a conspiracy against me" by some town officials and disgruntled employees who want to take control of the police department.

The state's attorney general has declined to prosecute anyone in Quartzsite as a result of state investigations because of insufficient evidence, a spokeswoman for the office said.

Last year, an ally of Mr. Foster's, Jennifer Jones, was arrested by Mr. Gilbert while speaking during a raucous town council meeting. Ms. Jones, who owns Furry Friends Pet Spa, has been arrested five times since she began running for town council in 2010. All of the charges were eventually dropped.

Ms. Jones, who runs a newspaper and website critical of the town and the police chief, said she is "livid" that the chief has been reinstated. "We feel betrayed," said Ms. Jones, who is suing the police chief and other town officials in federal court over her arrests. Ms. Jones says the chief harassed her and her husband because they were critical of him and his political allies. The chief denies the allegations and says his arrests of Ms. Jones and her husband had nothing to do with politics.

Opponents unseated Mr. Foster in a 2011 recall election. He fought the recall in court, lost and was ordered to pay the town $2,200 in attorney fees. He refused to pay.

This year, Mr. Foster ran a new campaign and was elected mayor in June. Town officials said he couldn't take office due to a local ordinance that bars anyone owing the town money from office. He says he shouldn't have to pay, as the town attorney shouldn't have appeared in court against him, and the ordinance exceeds state requirements. The attorney, who officials say is on sick leave, couldn't be reached for comment.

Some in Quartzsite say they see an end to the unrest. "Our town council is coming together and is really trying to work as a team to move things forward," said Ms. Bruno, the interim town manager.

Mr. Foster said even if he is seated, he will sue the town for its appointment of a chair and vice chair for council meetings, which he says weakens his power. "This fight's not over," he said Tuesday. The interim manager said the town has the right to appoint them.

Business owners just want the fighting to end before the busy winter season. "It's an embarrassment to our town," said Paul Winer, the nudist owner of Reader's Oasis bookstore.

—James Oberman contributed to this article.
Write to Tamara Audi at tammy.audi@wsj.com

chairmenmeow47
09-27-2012, 02:27 PM
hahahha, i spent the night on a bench in the police station there waiting for my parents. so close to the border, fucker.

Mr. Dylanja
09-28-2012, 12:16 PM
I can't get a link to work but this just happened...

Fox News Just Showed a Man Shoot Himself in the Head Outside of Phoenix on Live TV (Video)

By Matthew Hendley

A car chase that started in Phoenix just ended with the man shooting himself in the head, which was broadcast live on Fox News.The man had apparently stolen a car before heading west, and as you... More >>

Phoenixnewtimes.com

Mr. Dylanja
09-28-2012, 12:20 PM
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02354/Car_Chase_Suicide__2354753b.jpg

TomAz
09-28-2012, 12:25 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/US/fox-news-airs-footage-man-shooting-head/story?id=17351162

Miroir Noir
09-28-2012, 01:07 PM
I noticed that the other cable news networks didn't have this problem, likely because they concluded that an in-progress car chase in Phoenix, Arizona, is not a matter of national importance.

TomAz
09-28-2012, 01:08 PM
They were probably hoping the guy was an illegal.

Miroir Noir
09-28-2012, 01:10 PM
Lol. Every time I read the comments threads for crime stories in local media sources, one of the first comments from the proletariat is inevitably "I bet the perp was an illegal immigrant."

chairmenmeow47
10-03-2012, 10:05 PM
noooooo!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/03/arts/design/frank-lloyd-wright-house-in-phoenix-faces-bulldozers.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=2&

captncrzy
10-04-2012, 08:16 AM
Anyone want to go watch the Cardinals game with us somewhere downtown?

captncrzy
10-04-2012, 09:46 AM
Ok, we're going to Angels Trumpet Ale House after werk if anyone wants to join. I've been wanting to go there for a minute.

faxman75
10-04-2012, 11:52 AM
Damn school! I would have joined you all.

captncrzy
10-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Ditch day!

TomAz
10-04-2012, 12:29 PM
how bout downtown fountain hills

captncrzy
10-04-2012, 12:47 PM
I can't afford the gas to get down there.

westcoastpirate
10-06-2012, 07:24 PM
Hey TomAz, thought you might be interested in this:

http://www.carmonaforarizona.com/early-vote

stinkbutt
10-06-2012, 08:06 PM
noooooo!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/03/arts/design/frank-lloyd-wright-house-in-phoenix-faces-bulldozers.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=2&

Sad thing is that they offered 2,050,000 that the guys declined because they were asking 2,200,000. Now with all the media attention they can essentially hold the thing ransom and ask whatever they damn well please.

TomAz
10-07-2012, 04:57 PM
Hey TomAz, thought you might be interested in this:

http://www.carmonaforarizona.com/early-vote

Yeah, I'm gonna be out of town though.

westcoastpirate
10-07-2012, 07:47 PM
Yeah, I'm gonna be out of town though.

Rough!

LickTheLizzard
10-09-2012, 10:59 AM
I put this in the Shows thread already, but Jimmy Eat World is playing the Carmona Rally tomorrow.

ods..
10-09-2012, 11:11 AM
anybody have an extra ticket to the weeknd show tomorrow? they're sold out

Miroir Noir
10-11-2012, 07:38 AM
RICHARD CARMONA FOR SENATE

He's in a dead heat with Jeff Flake right now. Flake is a bizarro-world tea party mormon. Carmona is a moderate who has broad bipartisan support - he was Bush2's Surgeon General. Puerto Rican heritage, born in the Bronx, dropped out of high school, then wound up getting his GED, college degree, and MD. His time as Surgeon General was not pleasant:

You know the Mormon inbreds will rally their pasty white Borg to generate a lot of votes for Flake, whose ancestors have been bossing people around in Arizona for 100 years (the town of Snowflake, Az, is named for his family). It is time to show the country that Arizona is not ruled exclusively by the freaks, that we have a majority of sensible people who will vote in a thoughtful, balanced man over an extremist fucktard. Carmona's record speaks for itself, all we have to do is point it out to our friends and coworkers and neighbors. Some of them might be swayed by the facts.

So this race has really tightened, and Flake is now up with a nuclear-level ad in response:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4k8sMJdIhJg

It would help if the ad, you know, provided an explanation as to what Carmona was allegedly so upset about, but there you have it: the Republicans are panicking and this is a race, y'all.

LickTheLizzard
10-11-2012, 10:30 AM
They are absolutely panicking! They are paying to put attack adds on my Facebook and Twitter feed. This is going to be an exciting race.

amyzzz
10-11-2012, 10:52 AM
Carmona has my vote and possibly my husband's.

captncrzy
10-11-2012, 10:59 AM
I hate Jeff Flake. He looks like what I picture Satan to look like when he comes on over for the apocolypse.

chairmenmeow47
10-24-2012, 09:10 PM
so does anyone want to see demetri martin with me downtown friday? 9:45pm showing, ticket is free. full-disclosure, you will be a backup plan as i invited a date, but haven't heard anything yet. i have a feeling he will say no though, which is why i'm asking.

Somewhat Damaged
11-02-2012, 11:56 AM
Put my early voting ballot in the mail today. Found this helpful website to inform my decision on the propositions:

http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/Arizona_2012_ballot_measures

amyzzz
11-02-2012, 12:02 PM
Who is voting on election day like me?

LickTheLizzard
11-02-2012, 12:10 PM
I have never voted in person.

amyzzz
11-02-2012, 12:14 PM
So two noes.

chairmenmeow47
11-02-2012, 04:07 PM
i always vote in person. #1, it's a precaution against any last-minute news that might change my opinion and #2, listening to people talk in line is fascinating. today i read all the props and made my decisions. there were a couple that were confusing, like the two at the top/open elections thing.

LickTheLizzard
11-04-2012, 10:13 PM
http://www.carmonaforarizona.com/news/video-flake-caught-defrauding-voters#skip

VIDEO: Flake caught defrauding voters
November 4, 2012

12 News' Brahm Resnik just broke a big story: Congressman Flake's campaign is calling voters likely to cast their ballot for Rich and telling them to go to the wrong polling place to discourage them from voting.

These calls are paid for by the Flake campaign and coming out of the Flake campaign -- not some shadowy outside group. At a time when both parties should be encouraging people to vote, Congressman Flake is actively trying to mislead voters and make it harder for folks who prefer Rich to cast their vote.

Please watch this video and share it with your friends.

aaMpVOjotI8

captncrzy
11-05-2012, 06:41 AM
I'm not surprised one bit. What a piece of shit.

I voted for Carmona.

faxman75
11-05-2012, 09:45 AM
This is the first time I have done a mail in ballot and I think it's by far the most informed ballot i've ever submitted. The ability to sit at the computer and google every proposition was invaluable to me. I think I spent 2 hours or so all together on it.

It's all for nothing anyway. When Carmona and Penzone walk away losers i'll just feel deflated and understand what a waste of time it was anyway.

amyzzz
11-05-2012, 10:01 AM
Another good reason why I never answer my landline.

downingthief
11-05-2012, 10:02 AM
This is the first time I have done a mail in ballot and I think it's by far the most informed ballot i've ever submitted. The ability to sit at the computer and google every proposition was invaluable to me. I think I spent 2 hours or so all together on it.

It's all for nothing anyway. When Carmona and Penzone walk away losers i'll just feel deflated and understand what a waste of time it was anyway.

I'm not holding out too much hope for Arpaio being gone. Carmona has a shot, me thinks.

downingthief
11-05-2012, 10:02 AM
I like going to the polls, and taking my Son.

amyzzz
11-05-2012, 10:03 AM
3 in person
3 by mail

chairmenmeow47
11-05-2012, 10:15 AM
Another good reason why I never answer my landline.

i am constantly receiving calls on my cell phone. at one point i received three in one hour. i also get stacks of candidate mailers every single day that go straight to the trash.

faxman75
11-05-2012, 10:30 AM
I've had about half a dozen phone calls or so in the last week. Tons of mailers that just get trashed in the recycle which is conveniently located right next to the mailbox and WAY TOO MANY E-MAILS, i finally unsubscribed from them. Who do these asshats think they are asking the poor for money!?! lol

Sean, the last polls I saw had Penzone only down 4 points and Carmona down 6 points. Who knows though. I'm not convinced any of these numbers are credible anwyay. I did my part in voting for Penzone (under much protest by the way lol) and Carmona.

captncrzy
11-05-2012, 10:30 AM
I'm not holding out too much hope for Arpaio being gone.

I am. I've never seen him run this many ads before. I only have to assume he's doing it because he's worried. As far as I'm concerned, there is a very short list of people I'd vote for Arpaio over. Those people include Hitler, Osama Bin Laden, Saddam Hussien, and Mel Gibson.

amyzzz
11-05-2012, 10:34 AM
haha mel Gibson. :thu

chairmenmeow47
11-05-2012, 10:45 AM
I am. I've never seen him run this many ads before. I only have to assume he's doing it because he's worried. As far as I'm concerned, there is a very short list of people I'd vote for Arpaio over. Those people include Hitler, Osama Bin Laden, Saddam Hussien, and Mel Gibson.

but you don't hear much from his opponents. i honestly can't name who is running against him (though i will make a decision on who to vote for tonight).

amyzzz
11-05-2012, 10:55 AM
I have to admit I am flummoxed by the really local elections. I'm not sure what some of my Mesa Questions will do and I have no idea about school boards and what Central AZ Water whatever is.

chairmenmeow47
11-05-2012, 11:10 AM
i usually chose not to vote if i don't have any idea what's going on, though sometimes i will vote by party. when reading the propositions in that mailer they send, for the few i don't understand, i read through the pros and cons. sometimes there are a gazillion of one and none of the other, so i'll vote with the majority in those cases. especially on things like k-12 education and land appropriations, of which i have no knowledge.

amyzzz
11-05-2012, 11:13 AM
I always leave the land up to the feds or allow for swaps to fund education. The locals always want to allow mining on land which I am against. My opinion is not terribly informed, however.

captncrzy
11-05-2012, 11:19 AM
but you don't hear much from his opponents. i honestly can't name who is running against him (though i will make a decision on who to vote for tonight).

Penzone has only run a few ads, but I'm sure it's because he has very little money.

faxman75
11-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Last I saw Joe had over 7 million and Penzone had around $300K. The other indie candidate is Stauffer who doesn't have much traction but was probably the best choice. Penzone is a Democrate but surprise he is going to "crack down" on illegal immigration according to him and his website platform and continue fighting that all important drug war. We can go through the exercise of voting him out in 4 years too I suppose.

faxman75
11-05-2012, 11:30 AM
Here is a bit on the money spent.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/2012/11/03/20121103arpaios-campaign-spending-tops-mil.html

Here is information on all the ballot propositions this year.

http://morrisoninstitute.asu.edu/2012-understanding-arizonas-propositions

ramblinon
11-05-2012, 06:12 PM
I have to admit I am flummoxed by the really local elections. I'm not sure what some of my Mesa Questions will do and I have no idea about school boards and what Central AZ Water whatever is.

The Water Conservation Board is a pretty important board... I mean, we live in a desert after all. Former Attorney General Terry Goddard and Heather Macre are the two Dems running. I've never spent time with Terry, although it's not like there's a shortage of info about him. I've spoke at length with Heather a number of times... she's a cool cat. An attorney who focuses on water issues, very smart and knowledgeable...

But if you already voted, then that's that. :-/

ramblinon
11-05-2012, 06:18 PM
Last I saw Joe had over 7 million and Penzone had around $300K. The other indie candidate is Stauffer who doesn't have much traction but was probably the best choice. Penzone is a Democrate but surprise he is going to "crack down" on illegal immigration according to him and his website platform and continue fighting that all important drug war. We can go through the exercise of voting him out in 4 years too I suppose.

Stauffer is a fucking plant. He raised a grand fucking total of $450 from mid-September to the end of October, and spent about $30 I believe (i.e. he bought lunch one day). I know he was the first opponent to start to run, but he hasn't done a goddamned thing to imply that he's even tried at all. He hasn't. I'm pretty sure he struck a deal with someone in the Arpaio camp just to stay on the ballot and not drop out, since because our state is about 1/3rd registered Independent, the thought is that those Independents will vote for the Independent. He's polled at 3%, and sadly that might be enough. But no, he is not the best choice. The guy is a complete and total schmuck who seems like he has a sub-100 IQ...this from someone who saw him in one of his VERY few public appearances.

Penzone has raised over $550K at last glance. But goddamn, I wish he had a mystery $1 million infusion a week or so ago. He's a great candidate, but with Arpaio spending over $7 mil, we need some serious firepower, if for no other reason than name recognition.

downingthief
11-06-2012, 08:00 AM
Hence why I am not holding out hope for Penzone. I do think Arpaio is at his most vulnerable, but i guess I am just still too pessimistic.

amyzzz
11-06-2012, 08:47 AM
Oh fuck, Terry Goddard. Damnit I would have voted for him, but I didn't even look at the names on there. Oops.

amyzzz
11-07-2012, 09:39 AM
Blarg. I felt really let-down about Carmona last night.

LickTheLizzard
11-07-2012, 09:40 AM
I hope he runs for Governor.

amyzzz
11-07-2012, 09:42 AM
Silver lining.

westcoastpirate
11-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Maricopa County estimates there are over 425,000 provisional and early ballots that still need to be counted. A lot of races called by the media could definitely change.

ramblinon
11-07-2012, 05:15 PM
Maricopa County estimates there are over 425,000 provisional and early ballots that still need to be counted. A lot of races called by the media could definitely change.

Unfortunately, probably neither of the Big Two that went to the GOP.

ramblinon
11-08-2012, 06:08 PM

Let's make that 631,000... http://www.azfamily.com/news/More-than-631000-ballots-in-Ariz-still-uncounted-177995991.html

I've heard enough chatter that a large percentage of that is from Latino voters. If so... perhaps the Senate and Sheriff's races have glimmers of hope...

Arizona: Yet again, the Meth Lab of Democracy!

LickTheLizzard
11-08-2012, 11:28 PM
Carmona's facebook campaign basically said they haven't conceded yet and are waiting for all of the votes to be counted.

chairmenmeow47
11-09-2012, 05:49 AM
anyone else going to the wine walk tomorrow? i'll be there with my girlfriends.

http://www.downtownphoenix.com/winewalk/

downingthief
11-09-2012, 09:53 AM
Man, I would love that. Perfect weather for it, too.

amyzzz
11-09-2012, 10:04 AM
Carmona's facebook campaign basically said they haven't conceded yet and are waiting for all of the votes to be counted.Good.

LickTheLizzard
11-09-2012, 10:07 AM
I got another email this morning that confirmed they are not conceding until every vote is counted. I doubt it will reverse the outcome, but I hope he makes it difficult for Flake.

ramblinon
11-09-2012, 12:28 PM
I got another email this morning that confirmed they are not conceding until every vote is counted. I doubt it will reverse the outcome, but I hope he makes it difficult for Flake.

Then again, it's not like conceding is some sort of contractual agreement to lose. If you concede and enough votes come in your way, you still win. It's purely ceremonial.

That said, I suppose that if you concede there may be a let-off of the County Recorder's office to demand that every count gets counted. But as dysfunctional as the office is, I think they'll get it right... just not on schedule.

amyzzz
11-09-2012, 01:25 PM
I was right to be worried about my husband's provisional ballot. :nono

westcoastpirate
11-09-2012, 10:03 PM
I was right to be worried about my husband's provisional ballot. :nono

He may have to go down to the county recorder's office and show proper id for the ballot to count, depending on the reason he had to fill out a provisional ballot.

chairmenmeow47
11-11-2012, 09:14 AM
the wine walk was fun, though it was a little cold yesterday. i highly recommend it to anyone who is interested next year :) we made it to the arrogant butcher for lunch, then 1130, then brick, and finally the rose & crown. i'd never been to the rose & crown, it was a lot of fun. they have games! we played connect four & jenga.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/602481_548857198462599_591084088_n.jpg

NachoCat
11-12-2012, 07:50 AM
Glad to see you are feeling better Ivy

chairmenmeow47
11-12-2012, 07:51 AM
thank you, i am :)

amyzzz
11-12-2012, 08:48 AM
He may have to go down to the county recorder's office and show proper id for the ballot to count, depending on the reason he had to fill out a provisional ballot.It was because he got a mail-in ballot and didn't know he had to fill that out and bring it in.

chairmenmeow47
11-27-2012, 07:45 AM
anyone interested in a rock band / holiday party on friday, december 14th? we can rock out and maybe enjoy sweets & some sort of nog or something. white elephant gift exchange, etc. fun times! i'd like to do it before amy goes out of town for the holidays, which is why i chose this date.

captncrzy
11-27-2012, 08:07 AM
I think we can do that day

amyzzz
11-27-2012, 09:06 AM
That sounds cool, although I think Audra was doing some sort of getaway that weekend? She has not mentioned it lately though.

chairmenmeow47
11-27-2012, 09:18 AM
ah, i declined that i think so it wasn't on my FB calendar. sorry, audra! still shooting for the 14th. i'm ready to rock out and don't really have any other days free. friend holiday party, work holiday party, louis ck, etc.

chairmenmeow47
12-03-2012, 08:08 AM
went to PUSH gallery this weekend. wow, the place sure has improved since i was last there a few weeks ago. we made az central. i'd post in the pictures thread, but i think i've cam whore'd it up enough in there. my date was not around for the pic, but i caught us talking in the background of another pic :)

http://i.azcentral.com/commphotos/view/643903.jpg

chairmenmeow47
12-07-2012, 09:18 AM
anyone want to meet for a drink tonight? realistically it'd be around 6 since i have physical therapy at mayo in fountain hills and have to stop by mesa on my way home.

captncrzy
12-07-2012, 09:20 AM
Would love to but we have to go to boxing tonight. Trying to ward off all the shit I've been eating.

chairmenmeow47
12-07-2012, 09:21 AM
no worries, see you next friday! we may have to fit in a match between you and rick :p

downingthief
12-07-2012, 10:28 AM
anyone want to meet for a drink tonight? realistically it'd be around 6 since i have physical therapy at mayo in fountain hills and have to stop by mesa on my way home.

Wish I could, but have other plans. :(

amyzzz
12-07-2012, 10:30 AM
I could do it. Is there a place we could go that has decent food too?

edit: also, I work until 7, so I could only meet after that.

chairmenmeow47
12-07-2012, 10:49 AM
i texted you amy :)

chairmenmeow47
12-12-2012, 03:13 PM
i'm on mill at la bocca, but anyone been to the world of beer place? is it good? never seen it, but seems like our kinda place :)

captncrzy
12-13-2012, 06:45 AM
I have been to WoB. I love it. Love love love it.

They do not serve food, but they have menus from local places and the local places (like Slices) will deliver food to you there.

amyzzz
12-19-2012, 12:05 PM
My employer is launching a new TV service which is now only available in Chandler and Gilbert, but will be rolled out to the rest of metro Phoenix next year FYI. Sorry to be a corporate whore for a moment.

http://www.centurylink.com/prismtv/#index.html

chairmenmeow47
12-21-2012, 06:10 AM
anything fun going on in the valley this weekend? looking for a fun date activity.

chairmenmeow47
12-21-2012, 07:31 AM
oh wow, there's a big lebowski screening at film bar tomorrow! that sounds fun.

amyzzz
12-21-2012, 08:50 AM
Hey, that does sound fun!

amyzzz
12-21-2012, 08:50 AM
I mean, now that Louis CK cancelled. :nono

chairmenmeow47
12-22-2012, 09:26 AM
well i'm likely going to be at the 9pm showing if you decide to go. and yes, such a bummer about louis!

chairmenmeow47
12-26-2012, 08:06 AM
i really liked filmbar. i can't wait to go back. i liked that they have a seating area outside the theatre (but still inside) so you can chat after the movie. the only downside is that the dj's are absolutely shitty. for being an electronic music fan, i don't always notice dj fuckups unless they are horrible. and these guys were trainwrecks.

also, we need a happy hour soon.

downingthief
12-27-2012, 08:02 AM
also, we need a happy hour soon.[/B]

I concur

locachica73
12-27-2012, 08:17 AM
I now work in a prime happy hour area and work real hours so I won't be drunk by the time everyone arrives, yay. :)

TomAz
12-28-2012, 10:12 AM
Are any of you people considering this FMLY FEST downtown today?

I just learned about it, I know virtually nothing about it.

captncrzy
12-28-2012, 10:14 AM
I never heard of it.

TomAz
12-28-2012, 10:19 AM
http://www.phxtaco.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/PHXFMLY.jpg

New Times writeup: http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/jackalope/2012/12/fmly_fest_phoenix_tempe_starving_artist_december.p hp

TomAz
12-28-2012, 10:54 AM
All Ages probably means no place to get a beer though, hm?

captncrzy
12-28-2012, 11:36 AM
Probably not

faxman75
12-28-2012, 12:06 PM
All Ages probably means no place to get a beer though, hm?

You're kind of surrounded by places to get good beer though. Angel's Trumpet Ale House and Carly's are both right there.

Timestretch
12-28-2012, 01:58 PM
I did enjoy reading the names of those bands. It's like some of them just gave up on choosing a name...fuck it, Snail Quail it is.

TomAz
12-28-2012, 02:26 PM
at first I misread Ursus Collosus as Uterus Collosus

Timestretch
01-09-2013, 09:00 PM
http://i49.tinypic.com/20fbzhz.jpg

westcoastpirate
01-10-2013, 06:50 PM
http://i49.tinypic.com/20fbzhz.jpg

Holy shit, I have some friends who love Weird Science! They would love this!

zachattacks11
01-11-2013, 05:02 PM
http://i49.tinypic.com/20fbzhz.jpg I can't believe I was unaware that this was going down. Thanks!

Timestretch
01-14-2013, 10:39 AM
Good times! Bras were worn on heads. Unfortunately, they just played the dvd and it skipped. There were some lines missing too, but I would go again. Big Trouble, Little China next.

chairmenmeow47
01-14-2013, 11:52 AM
not to piss off scott, but we can talk about how effing freezing it is?!?! and the no-burn day nonsense. i wanted to build a fire so bad. i don't check to see if it's a no-burn day, but if i hear that it is i won't burn. so i built a fire saturday night.

amyzzz
01-14-2013, 11:54 AM
I have thick thigh high socks on under my jeans and two pairs of fingerless gloves.

HotHamWater
01-14-2013, 12:05 PM
Ya'll don't have heaters?

chairmenmeow47
01-14-2013, 12:05 PM
not at work. the bathroom appears to be the only location with heat. i had to fight recently to get the air turned off. i'm wearing three sweaters and fingerless gloves.

amyzzz
01-14-2013, 12:09 PM
Our heat doesn't seem to get hot enough at my work.

chairmenmeow47
01-14-2013, 07:21 PM
so the guy on intervention that i sort of knew who said he couldn't go to rehab because it interfered with coachella killed himself. he posted a cryptic goodbye on facebook and no one responded until after his death, so sad.

nyarlathotoats
01-14-2013, 07:33 PM
Sorry to hear about that.

chairmenmeow47
01-14-2013, 07:35 PM
no worries to me, i just feel bad for him.

nyarlathotoats
01-14-2013, 07:41 PM
Yeah, I was gonna say that its too bad even music, especially the prospect of attending a music festival couldn't make the person wait it out. That may come out douchey, but I mean well.

Somewhat Damaged
01-14-2013, 07:48 PM
There've certainly been times in my life that the only thing that kept me from seriously considering killing myself was the prospect of missing an awesome concert I was looking forward to, with Coachella being that concert for a good stretch in the mid-2000s.

chairmenmeow47
01-14-2013, 07:52 PM
no offense. i wish i could find clips of his intervention, it was actually funny :x i feel bad saying that, but i don't know how else to respond. i tried to search on netflix.

insbordnat
01-15-2013, 05:23 AM
My office building has the fucking audacity to run AC every day irrespective of the weather outside. Even my Wisconsinite co-workers are bitching.

captncrzy
01-15-2013, 07:48 AM
I remember that Intervention. From what I remember he just did whatever drugs were handed to him. His mom paid his rent and all of his bills, and he spent his nights at clubs trying to DJ. I remember that he thought he was hot shit but no one ever gave him a job as a DJ. Then he was like "I can't go to rehab because of Coachella and it's a once in a lifetime experience". I think he was also implying that he would be playing there or something...which turned out to not be true.

captncrzy
01-15-2013, 07:57 AM
Found him. Season 4, Episode 8 (John T).

chairmenmeow47
01-15-2013, 08:05 AM
he once tried to push a dnb headliner off the decks so he could play. the best part of that episode is when it's like 4am and his neighbors are calmly and rationally complaining about the volume of his music. they argue for like ten minutes. when he walks away, he says "just let me know if the volume becomes a problem". i think the girl looked like she was going to explode.

captncrzy
01-15-2013, 08:10 AM
Haha I remember that

ods..
01-15-2013, 08:14 AM
Ivy! YOU KNOW (knew RIP :() Dr. Doom???? My gf and I love that episode. That's terrible he killed himself.

That episode is fucking hilarious though. "WHY ISN'T ANYONE ANSWERING THEIR PHONE"

chairmenmeow47
01-15-2013, 08:20 AM
i wasn't close with him, but he was in the scene so i knew him. the first thing he ever said to me was "you look good and smell nice, do you have a myspace?"

captncrzy
01-15-2013, 09:05 AM
I remember you saying he was kind of creepy to you and your girlfriends. Mostly because he was so much older.

NachoCat
01-21-2013, 08:36 AM
Arizona Strong Beer Festival

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Event Information

Arizona Beer Week kicks off with the 13th Annual Arizona Strong Beer Festival, held at Steele Indian School Park in Phoenix on February 16th, 2013. Although strong beers (those with high alcohol content) are the focus at the festival, a huge variety of craft beers — as well as specialty styles and unique, just-for-this-event brews — are made available to festival-goers, who will receive a commemorative four-ounce tasting glass and 15 tasting tickets for the price of admission. And because food and beer just naturally go together, there will be plenty of top-notch food vendors on hand, serving up tasty eats that wash down well with frosty suds. Live music will keep the atmosphere rockin’. Presented by The Arizona Craft Brewers Guild.

GA $35.00

VIP $45.00

Designated driver ticket $10.00

http://arizonabeerweek.com/13th-annual-arizona-strong-beer-festival/

M Sparks
01-25-2013, 09:32 AM
If anyone got a pass only in the presale and is now thinking of adding a camping pass, I have one I'm not using. We would need to swap wristbands when they are shipped, so I'd probably only do it for someone in Phoenix so it's all settled before we get there. You can buy me lunch or toss me some gas money for coming to meet up, other than that it's free.

I remember we had an extra one last year and Dylan said he might want it if it was free, but we wound up using it to expand our campsite. I'm not camping this year

locachica73
01-25-2013, 09:43 AM
I might be interested in it. My roommate and I were discussing getting an additional camping pass and car for extra space. I will let you know for sure once I talk to them more about it. :)

ramblinon
01-25-2013, 04:11 PM
Attention sane people: Arizona Democrats need your help.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2013/01/25/arizona-republicans-propose-bill-that-would-not-allow-atheists-to-graduate-high-school/

A group of Arizona politicians — all Republicans, of course — have proposed a law (House Bill 2467) requiring public high school students to recite the following oath in order to graduate:

I, _______, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge these duties; So help me God.

To quote Comedy Central’s Ilya Gerner: “Nothing says ‘I take this obligation freely’ quite like a state law that withholds your diploma unless you swear an oath.”

Kevin Bondelli adds:

… graduating high school is not the same thing as voluntarily accepting the responsibility of a public office or admission to the legal bar. A high school diploma is, with extremely few exceptions, required to have a chance to live above the poverty level. It is the culmination of an education that up until that point was compulsory.

It’s bad enough the Republicans are demanding loyalty of the kind normally reserved for members of Congress and beyond — but there’s also no way I would say those last four words, and the current text of the legislation does not allow for any alternatives.

In other words, if this bill were to become a law, atheists would either not be allowed to graduate… or they would be forced to lie so they could graduate. Neither option is acceptable.

Mike Sunnucks of the Phoenix Business Journal points out another problem:

The Arizona bill could also face legal challenges if it is approved.

Jehovah’s witnesses, some Muslims and pacifist Quakers have in the past challenged loyalty oaths imposed by the federal government and other agencies, saying they conflict with their beliefs and religious professions. Similarly, some Arizona students could challenge the proposed high school oath as a violation of their religious liberties and freedom of expression.

This bill is the work of Representatives Bob Thorpe, Sonny Borrelli, Carl Seel, T.J. Shope, Jeff Dial, David Livingston, Chester Crandell, and Steve Smith.

Smith and Shope have also introduced legislation demanding that all students in grades 1-12 recite the Pledge of Allegiance (with “Under God”) every day. At least in that bill, students can get out of saying it with their parents’ permission.

No such exemption exists in the Loyalty Oath.

Keep in mind that in both cases, the bills do not help children get a better education. That’s the saddest thing about all this. The people who are in charge of fixing the education crisis are proposing solutions that would only waste more classroom time and exclude many students from graduating despite fulfilling their current requirements.

=====================================

Steve Smith has taken over Russell Pearce's role as the biggest asshat at the Capitol. May he choke on a bag o' dicks and die.

amyzzz
01-25-2013, 04:16 PM
Well, that's a weird one.

ramblinon
01-25-2013, 05:14 PM
Not the least bit fascist. And certainly a prudent use of taxpayer dollars.

insbordnat
01-26-2013, 07:57 AM
What a wacky bill. Good thing our politicians are focusing on the hard hitting issues.

chairmenmeow47
01-29-2013, 09:17 AM
i know everyone's busy buying tickets today, but i'm in dire need of some coachella phoenician time. anyone up for happy hour friday? it's first fridays, right? so not sure if downtown is the best option, but i'm up for anything not too expensive.

locachica73
01-29-2013, 10:43 AM
I am in. :)

amyzzz
01-29-2013, 10:55 AM
I can probably come.

chairmenmeow47
01-30-2013, 12:32 PM
ok cool, amy, what time would you be available?

also, is anyone familiar with the audubon near downtown? i am going to try volunteering at their front desk sat feb 23rd and march 9th.

HotHamWater
01-30-2013, 12:42 PM
Hi, Phoenix.

I will be inside of you March 1st-3rd for spring training.

amyzzz
01-30-2013, 12:49 PM
Ivy, I get off at 7. And woo, Tommy!

chairmenmeow47
01-30-2013, 12:49 PM
yay! did you decide on a game? i'd like to cordially invite myself :p

HotHamWater
01-30-2013, 12:56 PM
Of course you're invited. We're going to games all 3 days. We're seeing the Padres/Indians game for sure on Saturday, as Carrie is a Padres fan and I'm an Indians fan. Joe isn't making the trip, he has work obligations he can't miss.

chairmenmeow47
01-30-2013, 01:06 PM
i'm definitely in for that saturday game. we'll talk!

chairmenmeow47
01-30-2013, 01:06 PM
also amy, 7 may be too late for me. i gotta help my mom move shit saturday, boooooo

amyzzz
01-30-2013, 01:10 PM
Bah it's always 7 until March when it's 6. :-(

HotHamWater
01-30-2013, 01:11 PM
i'm definitely in for that saturday game. we'll talk!

YES. Clothing optional*. That's Carrie's rule, not mine.

*- It's not clothing optional.

HotHamWater
01-30-2013, 01:12 PM
Also, maybe there should be some sort of some kind of get together some how while we're out there.

chairmenmeow47
01-30-2013, 01:13 PM
clothing optional if we can all agree on karaoke nights. no etards on laps this time.

HotHamWater
01-30-2013, 01:15 PM
clothing optional if we can all agree on karaoke nights. no etards on laps this time.

Baahahahahahahahahaha.

I'd be down for something like that.

chairmenmeow47
01-30-2013, 01:19 PM
alright, i can put together an event on facebook or something if you'd like. lemme know if you prefer friday or saturday :)

HotHamWater
01-30-2013, 01:32 PM
Either is good for me. You should PM Carrie, too. :) Cut out the middle man.

chairmenmeow47
01-30-2013, 01:44 PM
will do :)

captncrzy
02-01-2013, 08:27 AM
Where are you guys going tonight. I think I will need a drink.

chairmenmeow47
02-01-2013, 08:33 AM
audra is going to her sisters and amy gets off later than i'd like to meet. but i'd still be willing to meet if we're talking like 4:30-5ish. maybe that beer place on mill? isn't that near you?

locachica73
02-01-2013, 08:39 AM
I am skipping going to my sisters since I am taking the kids over there on Sunday. I am probably going to Stingers after work for pool and cheap/free beer depending on if Kari decides to go to work. If she doesn't I would be down to meet you guys somewhere for a beer.

captncrzy
02-01-2013, 11:06 AM
Yeah, World of Beers is just down the block from my office. That's fine with me.

Somewhat Damaged
02-01-2013, 11:29 AM
Not that anyone was asking but I won't be in attendance. I had a breakfast burrito this morning and tamales for lunch. I need to go to kickboxing after work so I don't hate myself too entirely tomorrow.

amyzzz
02-01-2013, 11:31 AM
Tamales sound really good right now. Ugh.

locachica73
02-01-2013, 11:38 AM
I am going to pass as well. I am not mentally ready to make the drive to Tempe after working down there for 2 months. I am starting to be like my mother and try not to venture outside of the 5 mile radius of my house. :-/

amyzzz
02-01-2013, 11:42 AM
Meet me outside my work building at 4:45 and we can down a couple shots before I finish off my shift. :p

locachica73
02-01-2013, 11:45 AM
I would make the long haul to Tempe it it meant drinking shots with you. You tease!

chairmenmeow47
02-01-2013, 11:58 AM
i can meet you jen if you're still interested, what time?

amyzzz
02-01-2013, 12:01 PM
Everyone is turning in too early for me, Audra.

captncrzy
02-01-2013, 12:03 PM
Ivy--like 430?

chairmenmeow47
02-01-2013, 12:04 PM
perfect :)

sorry, amy!

Mr. Dylanja
02-02-2013, 12:06 PM
I'm a little disappointed that there hasn't been a, "Phoenix! I'm so happy they're headlining!" post in here yet.

Somewhat Damaged
02-02-2013, 01:23 PM
I've been thinking about posting about events happening in the city of Phoenix in a Phoenix-the-band thread, if that makes you any less disappointed, Dylan.

Mr. Dylanja
02-02-2013, 01:32 PM
That would make my day.

chairmenmeow47
02-04-2013, 02:02 PM
hello phoenicians! i've created an event on facebook for the infamous tommy visit. we're going to karaoke friday, march 1st. still figuring out where. i think tomaz and tomas are pretty much the only ones not on my facebook, so PM me for details if you're interested :)

amyzzz
02-04-2013, 02:05 PM
YAY!

ASVP Piccolo
02-15-2013, 03:14 PM
Just found this thread after creeping through the Misc. Lounge for a while. I'm curious as to how old the Phoenician regulars of the Coachella forums are. I'm suspecting I might be one of the youngest at 20... >_>

Somewhat Damaged
02-15-2013, 08:57 PM
Yeah, you'd be right. I think the next youngest person is 30. Geez, you can't even get into a bar?

ASVP Piccolo
02-16-2013, 12:45 AM
Haha unfortunately, not until July. Well, under normal circumstances. I drink all the time at Sky Bar and a few local joints on 4th Ave in Tucson. I have military duty up in Prescott, so I've drank on Whiskey Row a few times. You'd be surprised at what some scruff on your face and a military ID will get you. But Phoenix is definitely strict when it comes to drinking, and I haven't had any luck here in town.

insbordnat
02-16-2013, 05:09 AM
We'll see you in July! j/k

Douchey.McDouche.Douche.
02-16-2013, 03:03 PM
out of curiosity, is anyone here doing tough mudder this coming weekend??

Somewhat Damaged
02-16-2013, 03:28 PM
What's "Tough Mudder"?

chairmenmeow47
02-17-2013, 04:35 AM
no my girlfriends at work tried to get me to go but it's too cold! also, i promise to figure out the karaoke thing and respond to pms when i return from san diego

sharksfan98
02-17-2013, 08:01 AM
********THIS IS A CITY OF PHOENIX THREAD-NOT A PHOENIX-THE-BAND THREAD*********

Someone mentioned that we need a Phoenix thread. Why, I don't know; all there is to do right now is bitch about how fucking hot it is here today. 110F.

Anyone else hitting VNV Nation at the Marquee on Friday?

When I read the first line, I was quite dissapointed.

chairmenmeow47
02-17-2013, 11:16 AM
you're mom's disappointed

Douchey.McDouche.Douche.
02-17-2013, 12:52 PM
What's "Tough Mudder"?

this video should answer your question. this will be my first tough mudder experience, i'll be going with a couple of friends this weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azQbiz2vm_Q

Somewhat Damaged
02-17-2013, 03:31 PM
Oh. Fuck that, I wouldn't last an hour if it was just the running, much less the obstacles. Good luck, hope you're able to finish the course.

insbordnat
02-17-2013, 04:00 PM
I keep meaning to do it, but somehow laziness always gets in the way

Douchey.McDouche.Douche.
02-17-2013, 04:03 PM
thank you very much! i'm not in the best physical shape but i will give it my all to finish the entire course! i'll post an update the day after the event.. if i make it out alive haha

Somewhat Damaged
02-17-2013, 04:45 PM
Eat plenty of potassium beforehand so your calves don't cramp & wake you up in the middle of the night. (I've learned this the hard way from physical activity a fraction of what you're going to put yourself through.)

Timestretch
02-17-2013, 09:05 PM
I'm opting for beer week instead.

Dogfish Head Kegger Kickin' @ World of Beers February 22 at 12:00pm until February 24 at 2:00am

Noble Rot, 120 Minute IPA, Olde School, Namaste, Theobroma, My Antonia, Bitches Brew, Immort Ale, Sah'tea, Ta Henket, Chicory Stout, Hellhound On My Ale, Birra Estrusca Bronze Ale, Punkin'...all draft.

The 120 minute gets tapped at 6pm. They know better.

Timestretch
02-21-2013, 04:54 PM
Has anyone been to this event? Comments? It does benefit the children and all.

http://i46.tinypic.com/161gnd1.jpg

chairmenmeow47
02-21-2013, 05:37 PM
sorry, i only drink for adults

chairmenmeow47
02-24-2013, 11:16 AM
TOMMY VISIT EXTRAVAGANZA

where: the grapevine in old town scottsdale (http://www.grapevineaz.com/[/url])
when: friday, march 1st at 7pm
details: no cover, but if you want to sing bring a few bucks cash to tip the MC. there is alcohol & food. i am shooting for the large table in the back of the bar by the bathrooms since we can still hear each other talk, but also hear the karaoke. if you sit in the main area, it's too loud to chat.

hope to see you all there! :)

Douchey.McDouche.Douche.
02-25-2013, 04:07 PM
well i'd like to say that my first tough mudder was a success! i did way better than i thought i would! i finished the entire course (11 miles, 21 obstacles) in 2 hours and 31 minutes, while my friend did it in 1 hour and 40 minutes. the course had 6 water/first aid stations spread through out the course, they also provided bananas and clif bars which came in handy because my legs began to cramp in the last mile.

insbordnat
02-26-2013, 04:33 AM
impressive - bravo.

faxman75
02-26-2013, 06:13 AM
I might be able to do 11 miles on my bike with zero obastacles and no incline. Wanna race?

captncrzy
02-26-2013, 06:42 AM
I might be able to walk a mile without tripping over my feet.

Douchey.McDouche.Douche.
02-28-2013, 05:08 PM
impressive - bravo.

thanks! i was pretty impressed myself, my goal was to finish the course in at least 3 hours.. the whole experience was awesome and left me wanting more haha, i actually registered to do a similar smaller 3.5 mile race next weekend.

Douchey.McDouche.Douche.
02-28-2013, 05:09 PM
I might be able to do 11 miles on my bike with zero obastacles and no incline. Wanna race?

let's raise the stakes and race downhill?

chairmenmeow47
03-01-2013, 07:09 AM
KARAOKE TONIGHT! 7PM!

hope to see everyone there :)

insbordnat
03-01-2013, 08:07 AM
Me and my lady may be down that way for a happy hour before, so I may make an appearance...

Miroir Noir
03-14-2013, 07:45 AM
You all need to move (http://www.salon.com/2013/03/14/tk_5_partner_5/).

downingthief
03-14-2013, 09:00 AM
Ha.

Clearly written by someone who has NEVER been here. We'll be fine. Us and the cockroaches.

locachica73
03-14-2013, 09:10 AM
I would rather die in the heat than be buried in snow, or swept away by a hurricane.

fetuspiniata
03-14-2013, 09:26 AM
I love the part where they paint us as a bunch of mole people who hide from the sun for 100 days out of the year!

chairmenmeow47
03-14-2013, 09:42 AM
i like the article, but it's a bit sensationalist. a major power grid failure in a city that relies on heaters would be a big deal too. it's not like everyone has fireplaces or that we want to chop down all the trees to go back to that. also, the wind can be an issue, but really only in the summer. it's not like buildings are falling down left and right. and "increasing" storms is a claim i'd like proven. i remember much more frequent and severe monsoons/dust-storms NOT HABOOBS, NOT A PHOENIX TERM YOU FUCKING TWATS THAT USE THIS STUPID WORD when i was a kid because there was less development around me. the further you get into the developed areas of the city, the less pronounced the monsoons are. but they are right, water is a major issue we pretty much ignore here in phoenix.

also the fires were started by PEOPLE (arsonists & campers), not nature. not the state trying to burn itself up. any goddamned forest is subject to a fucking fire.

captncrzy
03-14-2013, 09:42 AM
Yeah, I hide more like 180 days a year.