PDA

View Full Version : The Phoenix Thread!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 [85] 86 87 88

locachica73
01-25-2012, 10:41 AM
I use AZ Federal Credit Union, I have been there for 15 years or so. I love it, even when I have issues with my account they were right on top of fixing it for me. The do shared branch transactions so you can do business at any desert schools or other credit union. They offer all sorts of savings incentives, loan options when needed, additional insurance options, etc. If you want to check out their website it's www.azfcu.com.

faxman75
01-25-2012, 10:50 AM
I loved AZFCU until my ex screwed that all up for me a few years ago. We use Marisol at work but they don't seem to have many locations.

westcoastpirate
01-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Haha, I bank at SunWest FCU and I use Marisol for a lot of shared branching since they are walking distance from my work. But it's pretty sweet that most credit unions are in the CU Service Center network.

faxman75
01-26-2012, 10:03 AM
Any thoughts about the 15th ave. / Grand area?

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/apa/2814651519.html

Apparently this is an old hotel they just converted into apartments. Half affordable living the other half market rate rent. I'm checking this place out tonight. Construction started in May so i'm guessing they just finished at the very least it will be interesting to see how new they look. It seems they are going for the art crowd. I'm interested in a first floor unit so apparently i'll have window space (time to start painting). I just wonder if because it's a block off of Roosevelt how much difference that makes for crime and what not. I'm not too concerned really just looking for input since i've only hung out in that area a few times at Bikini and Trunk Space.

It's a fairly large 1 bedroom and a decent price.

http://phoenix.gov/news/052511oasis.html

chairmenmeow47
01-26-2012, 10:10 AM
is there a bedroom door? i feel like i can't see it. also not sure if that's an issue or not. looks cute though.

captncrzy
01-26-2012, 10:31 AM
That's a horrible, horrible area.

However, you'd be next to the Bikini Lounge and the Trunk Space, so there's that. Might need to buy a deadbolt or a pitt bull, though.

http://www.oasisongrand.com/

faxman75
01-26-2012, 10:32 AM
It doesn't look like it now that you mention it. I'll just hang a shower curtain or some beads if I like it enough, a door doesn't really matter much to me since i'm looking at studios too and it's just me and my small dog, Wilco. Apparently I qualify for rent under $500 a month because I make about $50 under their income requirment for market rent and they are also offering 1 month free so i'm thinking it might be about $450/month. It's exactly 1.2 miles from both school and work so that's definitely bike/walk distance.

chairmenmeow47
01-26-2012, 10:35 AM
that's superb! i do agree with jen that it's not a great area, but you're not a scrawny persona and you're a guy, so i think you'd be ok if you took the right precautions. also, i just prefer the door for when people sleep on my couch or i run the dishwasher before bed, but definitely not a MUST. just wasn't sure if your son ever sleeps over.

TomAz
You named your dog Wilco?? I love it!

faxman75
That's a horrible, horrible area.

However, you'd be next to the Bikini Lounge and the Trunk Space, so there's that. Might need to buy a deadbolt or a pitt bull, though.

I do at least have a dog that will bark at the door. I'm interested to see how secure the community is when I get there tonight. They seem to have done a lot but I won't know for sure until I see it in person. I have lived in what's considered horrible areas many times so i'm hoping it's not that bad. When you say horrible, is it mostly burglary, hookers and drug dealers? When I lived at 52nd St. and Van Buren I would regular see hookers walking through our complex, meth heads hanging out on corners and hear choppers and even see cops runing through our complex. The place I live now in S.E. Phoenix (Ivy knows where), i've had my car broken into, my roommate had his car taken for a joy ride and a pizza guy was shot. Though for some reason, I don't fret and it doesn't bother me much lol. Outside of being huslted and losing a car stereo I haven't had any issues in the last 3.5 years.

chairmenmeow47
01-26-2012, 10:36 AM
hahahahha, i dated a guy that lived at 52nd and van buren. his balcony faced the motel 6. we saw a swat team raid a bunch of hookers there once. good times.

faxman75
01-26-2012, 10:38 AM
You named your dog Wilco?? I love it!

It annoys the piss out of some people ha ha. But he's small and scrappy so I thought it made sense when I found him back in 2004 suriviving on his own. Ivy, my son does spend the night every other weekend or so. He usually just crashes on a couch in the living room. He got sick of sleeping in the same room with me even though he had his own bed. Whatever happens i'll make it work.

If I choose this place I will offer my window space to artists, or i'll just start making art with Connor and put it in the window to make some rent money.

captncrzy
01-26-2012, 10:41 AM
Yeah, it's mostly drug deals/prosties, etc. If it's gated, that might help keep your car from being broken into. Google maps makes it look like the parking lot is right on the street, so if there's no gate, I'd be worried as all heckfire about my car.

faxman75
01-26-2012, 10:43 AM
True. Luckily i'm not too emotionally attached to my car. Seeing nice cars in a nice new complex next to ASU downtown yesterday was a sign that, that place was out of my price range so I didn't even bother inquiring.

Just found this article about it too. I'm looking forward to my new art hobby heh. The place looked pretty cool in the 60's when it first opened. It had some history before turning into a dump.

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/jackalope/2011/04/oasis_hotel_becoming_artist-fr.php

mountmccabe
01-26-2012, 01:35 PM
I walked around the 15th Ave and Grand Ave area at night a fair deal for shows; I'd go to the Trunk Space or Modified and walk to 7th Ave and Roosevelt for gorditas at El Norteno (damn wouldn't I love to have that for dinner tonight) and often saw folks strolling at night, sometimes with kids and such, too. Mob used to live around there, too and things seemed quite reasonable.

Also my sister used to have a condo near 7th St and Mountain View. She was in a gated community and didn't have any real problems and there is some great food in that area, too. Well, there's less now but whatever.

Also when my brother was at ASU he lived in a house with a Marc and a Mark. Everybody got along well and are still friends.

Also, hey, The Phoenix Thread, how is it going?

faxman75
01-26-2012, 02:16 PM
Good to hear John and it's nice seeing you around these parts again.

Ivy, I just purchased a ticket to see John Williams tomorrow night in Mesa. I forgot about the show until I just got an e-mail from the Phoenix Symphony remindinig me. I scored a front row balcony seat so i'm pretty excited about this. Are you still going?

I should have read closer. I blame Ivy for my mistake but this actually isn't John Williams. It's the Phoenix Symphony performing the works of John Williams. Big difference but I'll still enjoy it quite a bit. I might not have jumped on this ticket as soon had I read closer but fortunatley I have no regrets..

faxman75
01-26-2012, 07:26 PM
I put a deposit down on the apartment. I liked it THAT much. Apparently if I made an other $500/year they would charge me $700/month for rent. I call BS on that though just because that seems really high for that area. Either way, it's concrete floors and brick walls which I love, over 700 sq ft and only 10 of the 60 units are occupied. Their first resident moved in December 1st. Both the entrance and the exit to the place is a sliding glass door and there is a door between the living room/kitchen area and the bedroom. I'm excited, this is going to be more than just a move. It's going to be a major lifestyle change. No more monthly Vegas trips for starters. They call me tomorrow to let me know about the application and stuff but I'm thinking it's a slam dunk and that they are trying to fill this place. I might have fumbled by jumping on this now rather than waiting a couple of weeks since i'm moving in mid February and I have paid a full months rent at my current place for February. They sold me on the special and my anxiousness didn't help. I didn't realize it's directly across the street from Bikini and Trunk Space. I thought it would be a block or so walk for some reason.

M Sparks
01-26-2012, 11:39 PM
I read about that place a while ago when they were working on it. I really should look at more downtown places.

chairmenmeow47
01-27-2012, 05:53 AM
glad to hear it, mark! i did call it "the music of john williams" on my facebook page =P i am not going :( i really really want to, but tonight is a birthday dinner for one of my best friend's boyfriend's and gordon is in town. i had tried to get tickets to the scottsdale show, but the cheapest seats i could find at the time i checked were like $50.

faxman75
01-27-2012, 07:21 AM
glad to hear it, mark! i did call it "the music of john williams" on my facebook page =P

Damn. There goes my only defense. I need to pay closer attention.

SeantheJeweler
01-27-2012, 10:01 PM
Hey guys I know I am going to get shit for posting this here but I am looking to trade my weekend 1 tickets (2) and car camping pass for weekend 2 (yeah all my friends slacked and I ordered mine pre-sale)

I was hoping to find someone in AZ with the opposite dilemma so if you guys know anyone looking to trade let them know! Thanks for any help.

Timestretch
01-28-2012, 09:23 AM
A different complex near downtown that got renovated looks to be doing very well. I'd be optimistic about the new place.

http://www.azcentral.com/style/hfe/coolhomes/articles/2012/01/12/20120112downtown-phoenix-300M-apartments-remodel-pasieka.html

faxman75
01-28-2012, 09:44 AM
That's pretty fantastic. Sounds similar to the idea behind the place i'm moving into. There is a bare wall where the insular parking lot and courtyard is at Oasis, it belongs to a youth club that's next door. Apparently once a few more people move in they are going to ask the residents to vote on what type of art mural we would like to have commissioned. One of the residents already has her art on display in the leasing office. The leasing agent said all of the other residents are artists (for some reason i'm skeptical of half the things she claims though). I guess the property is half commercial space so it's legal for everyone to sell their art out of their space.

denies the day
01-29-2012, 09:10 PM
Faxman, are you moving into Beatrice's artists colony? I thought she was requiring everyone to hold First Friday showings.

And the area is not horrible. It is centered in a very low-income area but if you walk to the other side of the Bikini (15th ave & Portland, Latham, etc) you'll find yourself in the FQ Story district which has tons of white-collar residents. The former attorney general lives on that street, for shit's sake. There are many parts of town that are far worse. I guarantee you won't find the diversity of people anywhere else. Grand Ave has some of the best parties where gutter punks, queers, gangsters, hipsters, artists and old-timers mingle on the regular.

Downtown may be scary if you're afraid of poor people or people of color who look down and out or if you don't have insurance for your fancy car but I'd much rather live here than the sterile vacuum of the suburbs. Ugh.

I miss Mob :(

captncrzy
01-30-2012, 05:57 AM
So I'm a racist because I'm a female with children that would refuse to live in a high-crime area? It IS a horrible area, crime-wise. Do some research before you make accusations. Just because you live there doesn't mean it's not true.

Mob's in Austin.

chairmenmeow47
01-30-2012, 06:41 AM
in other news...

i can't wait for tommy to come to town saturday! for those who don't have facebook or who i somehow missed, we're having a rock band party at my house in his honour from 5pm-12. i start early because i don't want to piss off the neighbors. PM me if you need my address! also, i can't drink anymore, so BYOB.

faxman75
01-30-2012, 06:53 AM
Faxman, are you moving into Beatrice's artists colony? I thought she was requiring everyone to hold First Friday showings.

I have no idea what Beatrice's artist colony is. I am moving into Oasis on Grand. How would a landlord legally require people to participate in an art event once a month? They didn't seem to care if I was an artist or not but that is definitely their selling point. They are promoting the art aspect very much.

And the area is not horrible. It is centered in a very low-income area but if you walk to the other side of the Bikini (15th ave & Portland, Latham, etc) you'll find yourself in the FQ Story district which has tons of white-collar residents. The former attorney general lives on that street, for shit's sake. There are many parts of town that are far worse. I guarantee you won't find the diversity of people anywhere else. Grand Ave has some of the best parties where gutter punks, queers, gangsters, hipsters, artists and old-timers mingle on the regular.

Downtown may be scary if you're afraid of poor people or people of color who look down and out or if you don't have insurance for your fancy car but I'd much rather live here than the sterile vacuum of the suburbs. Ugh.

I miss Mob :(

I love it but i'm already coming from what's considered a high crime area. I'm also not about to judge someone who decided the area wasn't for them.

denies the day
01-30-2012, 09:32 PM
So I'm a racist because I'm a female with children that would refuse to live in a high-crime area? It IS a horrible area, crime-wise. Do some research before you make accusations. Just because you live there doesn't mean it's not true.

Mob's in Austin.

I dunno if you're racist but your statement probably puts you into the "afraid of poor people" category, especially since that area is more gentrified than ever before. Not all low-income areas have high crime rates.

Lolz @ "Do some research". At least this horrible part of town doesn't stop you from using Groupons in it.

M Sparks
01-30-2012, 11:18 PM
Yeah, it doesn't look that bad...

http://www.azcentral.com/CrimeMaps/?sort=d_date&city=Phoenix&zipcode=&location=&days=365&category=

I'm seriously thinking of moving downtown-ish.

locachica73
01-31-2012, 05:11 AM
I would love to move downtown, in some loft condo somewhere within walking distance of cool bars. The thing about Phoenix is you can live in a great/new neighboood and be a block away from a bad neighborhood. Look at moon valley and the point area where I live, go a few blocks north and east and your in the square. It doesn't matter, bad shit happens everywhere.

faxman75
01-31-2012, 06:08 AM
Yeah, it doesn't look that bad...

http://www.azcentral.com/CrimeMaps/?sort=d_date&city=Phoenix&zipcode=&location=&days=365&category=

I'm seriously thinking of moving downtown-ish.

Moving a few blocks away from the heart of it made a huge difference in price and what I get. There were several studios available in the $450 range but they were quite small. Between 350-420 sq ft. This place has three different floor plans but I went with the biggest one bedroom they had. The Living Gallery model, which is 740 or so sq feet. The only downfalls are no dishwasher and no in unit washer/dryer but those aren't serious drawbacks for me. I live alone so there won't be a lot of dishes and laundry. I also like that no other people have lived in these yet. They just installed the mailboxes last week. My plan is to walk to and from work every day. It's 1 1/2 miles so 3 miles round trip and I plan on bringing a backpack with a shirt and deodorant so I can change. We'll see how smooth that transition is. There is a bus stop right across the street and I have a bike as well, I don't plan on using my car very much at all.

On Sunday I purchased some of the furniture I need. I got some decent, gently used items that look new. A sectional couch, a coffee table, an area rug and two bar stools for the breakfast bar in lieu of a dining room table and chairs, all delivered for $185. I will probably get another area rug for the bedroom and I don't much else at this point. Moving day will be February 18th. I'm looking forward to this very much.

captncrzy
01-31-2012, 06:19 AM
I dunno if you're racist but your statement probably puts you into the "afraid of poor people" category, especially since that area is more gentrified than ever before. Not all low-income areas have high crime rates.

Lolz @ "Do some research". At least this horrible part of town doesn't stop you from using Groupons in it.

Using a groupon isn't the same as living there. Low income does not equal high crime areas but if you look at this map, it's clear that that specific neighborhood is a high crime area. Don't fucking accuse me of being a racist (I'm married into a hispanic family) or a classist (I live in a low income area) when you don't know anything about me. You can defend it all you want with your "I'm a cool hipster because I live downtown in a culture hub like Mob the original downtown hipster and you don't so you suck" attitude, but it doesn't change the fact his new apartment IS in a high crime area.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j251/captncrzy/1-31-20128-11-17AM.png

Note-I don't care where any of you people choose to live. Faxy asked for our opinions about the area, and I told him what I thought. If he is comfortable living there, more power to him. He's a big dude, he can handle himself.

fin

Somewhat Damaged
01-31-2012, 07:29 AM

So...did you do any research? 'Cause that would sure go a long way toward grounding an argument that someone's criticism of an area for its crime rate is simply due to their fear of poor people.

Mr. Dylanja
01-31-2012, 07:50 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/424767_3232317765881_1204741110_33465612_120987512 8_n.jpg

chairmenmeow47
01-31-2012, 07:53 AM
hahahaha, i'm totally too cool for phoenix :)

locachica73
01-31-2012, 07:59 AM
Hahaha, the house I owned was on the border of morman & meth. Yep, that's about right. :)

captncrzy
01-31-2012, 08:08 AM
I'm in the old run down dump. Sort of sounds about right. Lots of run down dumps surrounded by new houses and Chilis.

denies the day
01-31-2012, 09:41 AM
Using a groupon isn't the same as living there. Low income does not equal high crime areas but if you look at this map, it's clear that that specific neighborhood is a high crime area. Don't fucking accuse me of being a racist (I'm married into a hispanic family) or a classist (I live in a low income area) when you don't know anything about me. You can defend it all you want with your "I'm a cool hipster because I live downtown in a culture hub like Mob the original downtown hipster and you don't so you suck" attitude, but it doesn't change the fact his new apartment IS in a high crime area.

Re-read my original post, I never accused you of being racist. Of course you're not racist, you're "married into a hispanic family". :rotfl

I don't know you but my observations lead me to conclude that while you'd NEVER bring your children to live in such a crime-infested area you have no problem taking advantage of the bars, venues, and even NYE parties the horrible Grand Ave shithole offers. I find that quite humorous and slightly hypocritical.

So...did you do any research? 'Cause that would sure go a long way toward grounding an argument that someone's criticism of an area for its crime rate is simply due to their fear of poor people.

Ya bro, many years of actually living here and not just the occasional Trunk Space show or a pitcher at the Bikini. Definitely not from lazily posted web links to crime rates which I'm certain are way more reliable than a resident's perspective.

Yeah, it's mostly drug deals/prosties, etc. If it's gated, that might help keep your car from being broken into. Google maps makes it look like the parking lot is right on the street, so if there's no gate, I'd be worried as all heckfire about my car.

Mostly drug deals and prosties, huh? Have you ever even been anywhere on Grand other than it's north end or (gasp!) during the daytime? Perhaps you'd notice all these children (probably with poor or horrible parents) running around everywhere. Maybe you'd see the many community organizations working to clean and improve the area. Or the outreach work done by local churches. Or the fact that Metro Arts (where my friends with kids are dying to get them into) is a short walk away. You may even notice the constant flow of art and generally tolerant energy around here.

But whatever. You're not the first to admonish this area for it's uninhabitability while exploiting it for it's cultural offerings. And I'm sure Mob would get a chuckle out of being called the "original downtown hipster".

denies the day
01-31-2012, 09:49 AM
Dude, I'm soooo underground I'm not even on that map. All of the cool downtown hipsters are up in arms over the omission.

ramblinon
01-31-2012, 09:59 AM
Re-read my original post, I never accused you of being racist. Of course you're not racist, you're "married into a hispanic family". :rotfl

I don't know you but my observations lead me to conclude that while you'd NEVER bring your children to live in such a crime-infested area you have no problem taking advantage of the bars, venues, and even NYE parties the horrible Grand Ave shithole offers. I find that quite humorous and slightly hypocritical.

Ya bro, many years of actually living here and not just the occasional Trunk Space show or a pitcher at the Bikini. Definitely not from lazily posted web links to crime rates which I'm certain are way more reliable than a resident's perspective.

Mostly drug deals and prosties, huh? Have you ever even been anywhere on Grand other than it's north end or (gasp!) during the daytime? Perhaps you'd notice all these children (probably with poor or horrible parents) running around everywhere. Maybe you'd see the many community organizations working to clean and improve the area. Or the outreach work done by local churches. Or the fact that Metro Arts (where my friends with kids are dying to get them into) is a short walk away. You may even notice the constant flow of art and generally tolerant energy around here.

But whatever. You're not the first to admonish this area for it's uninhabitability while exploiting it for it's cultural offerings. And I'm sure Mob would get a chuckle out of being called the "original downtown hipster".

That is a ridiculously ignorant response, assuming that the risk tolerance for a grown adult should be the same for what a good parent should choose to put a child and subsequent adolescent through. Gird your loins for backlash.

captncrzy
01-31-2012, 10:07 AM
Nah, no backlash. I'm done arguing. I'm right and he's a fucking idiot that can't understand the difference between visiting a place (exploiting it) and living in it. End of story.

In fact, I'll be exploiting the Crescent tomorrow night. I can't understand why they'd let us fearful classist white suburbanites in the door, but I'm sooo grateful they let us come in and buy their $8 Honey Badgers. You know, so they can donate a part of the profits to the churches to clean up the area. Now I feel like I'm doing my part to help the 50.2% of children that live below the poverty line in the neighborhood. I mean, I don't know if the statistics are right, since I don't live there or anything. Where does the FBI and the Department of Justice get off, anyway?

captncrzy
01-31-2012, 10:21 AM
ANYWAY, Fax, I'm glad you found a place that landed in your price range.

HotHamWater
01-31-2012, 10:22 AM
I'm visiting this weekend and want to avoid the ghetto. I'm glad I have friends who will help me achieve that. If those people want my money they should get their shit together first.

captncrzy
01-31-2012, 10:23 AM
You won't be in the ghetto; you'll be in the Phoenix area that's too cool for Phoenix so they call it Ahwatukee.

We call it the rich side of South Mountain in these parts.

chairmenmeow47
01-31-2012, 10:25 AM
also, i wanted to suggest we go for a hike sunday while you're here tommy, but people at work have informed me it's super bowl weekend. if you're still up for a hike, we can make it happen before the game :)

denies the day
01-31-2012, 10:28 AM
Whatever, lady. How about you not "visit" downtown anymore and keep your precious ass in Avondale, mmmkay? Your ideas about how the way things are won't be missed.

HotHamWater
01-31-2012, 10:29 AM
Yes, I'd like to go for a hike. Can't wait. We don't have to watch the Super Bowl, Ivy. I don't care about either team, and I haven't talked to anybody about plans. So Sunday is free to do whatever. Hiking is priority #1. =)

captncrzy
01-31-2012, 10:30 AM
WAIT SO I'M NOT ALLOWED DOWNTOWN ANYMORE?

denies the day
01-31-2012, 10:30 AM
That is a ridiculously ignorant response, assuming that the risk tolerance for a grown adult should be the same for what a good parent should choose to put a child and subsequent adolescent through. Gird your loins for backlash.

Except I never made that assumption.

HotHamWater
01-31-2012, 10:31 AM
You won't be in the ghetto; you'll be in the Phoenix area that's too cool for Phoenix so they call it Ahwatukee.

We call it the rich side of South Mountain in these parts.

This is good to know. I don't want to go to downtown again. Last time I was there, an ethnic looked at me for an abnormal amount of time and made me uncomfortable. I don't need that kind of stress when I'm on vacation from my high-paying job.

captncrzy
01-31-2012, 10:32 AM
Tommy, when do you go home? Do you two maybe want to meet us for brunch after your hike?

Not Matts, because it's downtown and I'm not allowed to go there any more. Maybe Over Easy (http://eatatovereasy.com/)? You can get a Wolfpack.

denies the day
01-31-2012, 10:37 AM
WAIT SO I'M NOT ALLOWED DOWNTOWN ANYMORE?

Pretty much.

guedita
01-31-2012, 10:38 AM
Is downtown Phoenix called "The PHX?" and is it pronounced, "FFFFFFEXXXXX?"

chairmenmeow47
01-31-2012, 10:38 AM
hooray hiking and i'm cool with brunch!!! :)

captncrzy
01-31-2012, 10:40 AM
Yay for brunch! Let me know Saturday what time; we'll get there a bit early and put our name in since their wait can get pretty ugly.

TomAz
01-31-2012, 10:40 AM
Rich hippies? what?

Mr. Dylanja
01-31-2012, 10:42 AM
Is downtown Phoenix called "The PHX?" and is it pronounced, "FFFFFFEXXXXX?"

<--- "The Nix."

Go back to your Frisco thread.

captncrzy
01-31-2012, 10:43 AM
Is it Frisco? I thought it was SanFran.

TomAz
01-31-2012, 10:43 AM
only by people from Frisco.

edit oops, beaten to the punch

guedita
01-31-2012, 10:45 AM
It's "Franzeezy" lol so obv you guys are outta towners.

chairmenmeow47
01-31-2012, 10:49 AM
jen, tommy doesn't arrive until saturday afternoon, so we'd be looking at sunday for brunch :)

HotHamWater
01-31-2012, 10:56 AM
Sunday brunch sounds great. I don't leave that night until 8:00 or so.

faxman75
01-31-2012, 10:57 AM
Awe, I missed all the fun and arguing. :(

Tommy, you've stayed on the ghetto side of S. Mountain so congrats to you on graduating to the too good for Phoenix side! I plan on being present for rock band early on and then going to another friends party later on that night. I am also interested in this hike (depending on where you guys decide of course) now that i've put a good amount of the weight I lost back on!

HotHamWater
01-31-2012, 11:04 AM
Yes, Fax, come hiking. We'll discuss it over excess and bad choices at the Rock Band gathering.

captncrzy
01-31-2012, 11:10 AM
jen, tommy doesn't arrive until saturday afternoon, so we'd be looking at sunday for brunch :)

Yeah-sorry that wasn't clear. I meant, let me know on Saturday night when we're being drunk and stuff what time you'd want to meet on Sunday for brunch.

Might be down for hiking too on Sunday depending on how my knees are feeling after kickboxing on Saturday.

chairmenmeow47
01-31-2012, 11:17 AM
ok cool :) i'm excited for this weekend!!!!!

and i'll keep everyone posted on hiking plans, we can discuss at the party :) i was thinking something earlier in the day at south mountain. but we can meet for brunch somewhere more central if it's easier.

captncrzy
01-31-2012, 11:52 AM
Nah, Over Easy is cool; I've been wanting to go back. Perfect location for y'all if you go hiking at South Mountain or Camelback or even Piestewa. I love Matt's but it gets so zooish on the weekends.

amyzzz
01-31-2012, 11:59 AM
Hiking! Great idea.

captncrzy
02-01-2012, 06:39 AM
A better brunch place occured to me. It's actually at the base of South Mountain, and its outdoors, so it'll be perfect after a hike. Been there before, very nice food. It's called the Morning Glory Cafe (http://www.morningglorycafeaz.com/)at The Farm at South Mountain (http://www.thefarmatsouthmountain.com/)(we almost got married in the pecan groves on the farm).

chairmenmeow47
02-01-2012, 06:41 AM
i love the farm, and the breakfast doesn't look as expensive as their lunches, so i'm down!

captncrzy
02-01-2012, 06:45 AM
Perfect. I've been wanting to go back there, and the weather has been freaking beautiful.

faxman75
02-01-2012, 06:46 AM
Oh yum. I've never been there but that menu looks tasty as all get out. MMMmmmm

captncrzy
02-01-2012, 08:41 AM
Who all is going? I can make rezzies if there are 8 of us. I'm counting 5.

faxman75
02-01-2012, 08:47 AM
In.

captncrzy
02-01-2012, 08:52 AM
Me
Ricardo
Ivysaur
HotHamWater
Faxy

amyzzz
02-01-2012, 12:28 PM
Me too. Sorry for the late response. I haven't been working this week so I am not constantly checking the message board.

downingthief
02-01-2012, 12:37 PM
YEEESSSSSSSS (http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/dining/articles/2012/02/01/20120201richardsons-reopens-phoenix-fire.html)

Can't wait to eat at Richardson's again!

insbordnat
02-01-2012, 12:56 PM
Funny, there was just a fire there last week and I thought the Rokerij went up. Good to see Richardsons back innit.

captncrzy
02-01-2012, 01:03 PM
Me
Ricardo
Ivysaur
HotHamWater
Faxy
Amyzzz

M Sparks
02-01-2012, 06:03 PM
That's close-ish to me. Put me down tentatively for brunch. I have a lot of work to do and I got screwed out of a day off this week, so we'll see how much I get done the next couple of nights.

chairmenmeow47
02-01-2012, 06:53 PM
hope you can make it!

hey faxy, what trails do you normally do on your side of the mountain? i wanna try something new.

faxman75
02-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Javelina and Beverly Canyon. Same parking lot off baseline south of 46th st. Javelina trail starts on the right side of the parking lot and Beverly Canyon on the left. I usually start Javelina and there is a fork that I take a right on and go up the hill and when I come down it connects to the Beverly Canyon trail and makes a full loop ending in the parking lot you start in. Heck we can do this on Sunday and I can show you around a bit if you like.

captncrzy
02-02-2012, 05:58 AM
Me
Ricardo
Ivysaur
HotHamWater
Faxy
Amyzzz
He Who Was Robbed for Whitest Board Member

chairmenmeow47
02-02-2012, 06:14 AM
that sounds swell. i have a feeling that is the trail i did on a full moon hike a few months ago, but i'd love to see it in the daytime :)

westcoastpirate
02-02-2012, 10:57 AM
I literally live right off the Pima Canyon trailhead, I just walk around the corner from our house and I'm in South Mountain park, so I may be able to meet up for this hiking excursion, It depends what we have going on this weekend, keep this thread updated with departure times, etc. Thanks.

chairmenmeow47
02-02-2012, 10:58 AM
will do. jen, what time were you thinking for brunch? i'll coordinate the hike around that.

captncrzy
02-02-2012, 11:02 AM
Whenever y'all are done. They close at 1.

Maybe 10:30-11?

chairmenmeow47
02-02-2012, 11:12 AM
brunch is at 11.

we'll meet for a hike around 9-9:30. i'll text people and post here when we're leaving. faxy, where is the lot for those trails? off baseline and 46th street? at the end of 46th street?

faxman75
02-02-2012, 11:26 AM
Exactly.

Go south on 46th St. from Baseline. You will run into it. It's pretty much across the street from where I live. There is a stoplight at 46th st so you won't miss it. The lot and trailheads are where the street ends and the mountains begin.

captncrzy
02-02-2012, 11:28 AM
Dang, we're at 7 for brunch. One more for a reservation?

chairmenmeow47
02-02-2012, 11:31 AM
just tell them 8 and then oops, one didn't show.

though i did ask a friend if they want to come. so we may actually hit 8. maybe we'll pick up one more at the party.

captncrzy
02-02-2012, 11:34 AM
Ok, I'll call and make reservations then.

faxman75
02-02-2012, 11:39 AM
Ivy, I may arrive a little later on Saturday evening. I have another gathering a bit earlier that day in Mesa.

chairmenmeow47
02-02-2012, 12:25 PM
ok, i'm kind of serious about the midnight ending, so keep that in mind :)

downingthief
02-02-2012, 12:33 PM

Party pooper! :p

j/k

faxman75
02-02-2012, 12:47 PM

Got it.

faxman75
02-02-2012, 12:53 PM
Film Bar has a cool new flick starting next Friday. Air does the music for the film.

Film Bar: Landed a GREAT and poignant film in time for our 1 year anniversary next Friday, the 10th! Tickets will be available online later today! A TRIP TO THE MOON (scored by AIR) + a 1 hour documentary about the film's restoration! http://thefilmbarphx.com/Phoenix-Film/movies/a-trip-to-the-moon-georges-melies-1902

chairmenmeow47
02-03-2012, 08:31 AM
not sure if the reservation has been made yet, but amy and her man are prolly going to hike with us and come to brunch. she's not on the boards much these days, so i only told her about it this morning. no word on my plus 1, so i'd prolly say we're at 9?

I.F.A.
02-03-2012, 08:43 AM
Amy and Her Man are officially in for brunch and hiking.

Oh, hai thread. How's it going?

amyzzz
02-03-2012, 08:52 AM
Amy, you have a man? I suppose that explains your absence here. Congrats!

I.F.A.
02-03-2012, 09:03 AM
Yes, I have a man. He lives in San Diego, but he's here a couple of times a month. He'll be at rock band.

Though, my absence from the board is more related to general hermitude. I've been in a serious funk lately and just haven't been feeling particularly social.

But, *big news* I've given notice at my job, which I think has been contributing drastically to said funk, and I think that will help me feel a LOT better (I'm taking a short sabbatical and going back to school). My last day is 4/11, so I'll be celebrating at Coachella - and, I'm sure I'll just be around more in general. :)

locachica73
02-03-2012, 09:08 AM
Yay Amy, I am happy for you! Looking forward to the celebration. :)

captncrzy
02-03-2012, 09:13 AM
Just called and had to leave a message for the reservation. Hopefully 11am is open....that's late for breakfast peeps so I'm hoping that time is open.

I.F.A.
02-03-2012, 09:14 AM
Thank you! I'm quite excited about it, and we will definitely be having a little campsite celebration. :)

amyzzz
02-03-2012, 09:20 AM
Great news, Amy!

captncrzy
02-03-2012, 11:07 AM
Brunch at 11 confirmed.

chairmenmeow47
02-03-2012, 11:33 AM
BRUNCH, FUCK YEAH!

faxman75
02-03-2012, 12:08 PM
Congrats on moving forward in life, Amy! Shedding that crappy job and starting a new relationship sounds pretty good.

locachica73
02-03-2012, 12:23 PM
Hey all, I am meeting some friends at Brennens Pub & Grub at 36th St & Bell for beers after work. They have free pool Friday and $6 domestic pitchers so head out if your bored. :)

captncrzy
02-03-2012, 12:55 PM
Haha, I spent many a drunken night in Brennans when I used to live in that area. We'd eat there and then roll over to the Dubliner.

M Sparks
02-03-2012, 10:21 PM
$6 pitchers and $5.75 glasses of Newcastle as it turns out. Guess I should have asked.

I might be out for brunch, glad you are over 8 now, we'll see what happens tomorrow.

chairmenmeow47
02-05-2012, 04:37 AM
i may still be drunk from last night and my phone may be mysteriously fucked up, but i'm srtill hiking! see everyone around 9.

chairmenmeow47
02-05-2012, 06:51 AM
we're just now leaving :)

Somewhat Damaged
02-05-2012, 06:53 AM
Holy shit, I don't think anybody expected that! Last night was a rousing good time. Thanks for having us!

westcoastpirate
02-05-2012, 12:16 PM
Sorry we couldn't make it to the hike/brunch. Our daughter started vomiting excorsist style all night and this morning, so yeah, dealing with the aftermath at the moment.

faxman75
02-05-2012, 01:09 PM
Awe, hope she feels better soon.

Rock band was a great time. Good hike, good brunch. You guys are pretty alright folks.

TheClares
02-05-2012, 08:43 PM
It was great to meet Fax and Tommy. Thanks for a great time Ivy!

captncrzy
02-06-2012, 06:16 AM
We need to make "hikenbrunch" a monthly thing.

faxman75
02-06-2012, 06:43 AM
I agree 100% on hike n' brunch Sundays.

Great meeting the both of you too, Clare's!

amyzzz
02-06-2012, 06:49 AM
What a great idea, Jen. I had such an awesome time. I seriously love you guys.

chairmenmeow47
02-06-2012, 06:49 AM
thanks everyone for coming and i also agree with hikebrunch. i cannot believe how tired i am today.

captncrzy
02-06-2012, 07:02 AM
STOP REPHRASING MY MADE UP PHRASE! IT'S OFFICIALLY "HIKENBRUNCH"

amyzzz
02-06-2012, 08:49 AM
Most of us only brunched, so I don't know about that word. NEXT TIME WE ALL HIKE.

downingthief
02-06-2012, 09:02 AM
Great time at Rock Band, as always! Glad all had fun at the Hikenbrunch. :)

amyzzz
02-06-2012, 09:05 AM
Sean, your voice is so incredible. You and Ivy sounded great! However, I chose something that was too hard for me to sing. Darn it.

downingthief
02-06-2012, 12:27 PM
Awww...thanks Amy! :)

And, I thought you sounded great! I'm glad you did it.

locachica73
02-07-2012, 11:30 AM
Is anyone going to the Arizona Strong Beer Festival on Saturday, Feb 18?

http://arizonabeerweek.com/12th-annual-arizona-strong-beer-festival/

faxman75
02-07-2012, 12:10 PM
That is the day I move however I have been told that we are moving early so we can attend this festival by the people helping me move. Also, Jen mentioned this at the rock band party so I think she and Rick are attending as well.

In other words yes, it looks like some of us will be there! :)

locachica73
02-07-2012, 12:15 PM
OK, I really want to go but doubt Nick will be interested, so maybe I can meet some of you guys there if I can't find anyone to go with me. :)

I.F.A.
02-08-2012, 09:47 AM
Hikerbrunch is a fantastic portmanteau (I just like to take advantage of any opportunity which allows me to use the word "portmanteau"), and I support doing it monthly!

It was really nice seeing everyone at RB!

Mr. Dylanja
02-15-2012, 11:58 AM
Remember the Heart Attack Grill (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46399779/ns/health-heart_health/)? It moved to Vegas.

LAS VEGAS — Laughing tourists were either cynical or confused about whether a man was really suffering a medical episode amid the "doctor," "nurses" and health warnings at the Heart Attack Grill in Las Vegas, a restaurant owner said Wednesday.

"It was no joke," said Jon Basso, who promotes himself "Doctor Jon," his scantily-clad waitresses as nurses and customers as patients.

Basso said he could tell right away the man in his 40s eating a Triple Bypass burger was having trouble. He was sweating, shaking and could barely talk.

Paramedics were called Saturday night, fire spokesman Tim Szymanski said, and the man was hospitalized. His name and information about his condition weren't made public.

Giggles can be heard on the soundtrack of amateur video showing the man on a stretcher being wheeled out of the restaurant where patrons pass an antique ambulance at the door and a sign: "Caution! This establishment is bad for your health."

Eaters are given surgical gowns as they choose from a calorically extravagant menu offering "Bypass" burgers, "Flatliner" fries, buttermilk shakes and free meals to folks over 350 pounds.

Basso said he hopes the man is OK, and added that he felt bad for him because tourists treated his misfortune like a joke.

"We would never pull a stunt like that," he said.

nyarlathotoats
02-15-2012, 06:00 PM
^...shit.

Hysteria
02-15-2012, 09:33 PM
Coachella newbie comin in from Phoenix!

Hai guyz!

M Sparks
02-15-2012, 10:12 PM
Welcome. You'll be jumped in at some point.

Hysteria
02-15-2012, 10:26 PM
So not only do I have to be careful around the tweakers of SunnySLOPe, but now I have to be on the lookout for crazed boardies?

Challenge accepted.

M Sparks
02-15-2012, 10:27 PM
Regional references!

Hysteria
02-15-2012, 10:35 PM
Yea, I had to show my disapproval of the slops since I just moved here. I know west Phoenix/Glendale isn't much better but I liked it a hell of a lot more than this place.

I witnessed a junky trying to jump on his angry girlfriends truck as she drove away pissed off while I was on my way to Carls Jr. Needless to say, the junky failed, making for a few quick lulz before I grabbed me a western bacon cheeseburger.

Somewhat Damaged
02-16-2012, 08:21 PM
I don't like the slopes either. Them or the gooks. Filthy people.

insbordnat
02-16-2012, 08:39 PM
get off my lawn

M Sparks
02-17-2012, 02:34 PM
Off to a great start!

So, uh, Indian Jewelry is at Trunk Space tonight. I'm thinking of going. That is all.

Somewhat Damaged
02-18-2012, 07:46 AM
I think we saw them open for Cold Cave at the Casbah in San Diego a couple Decembers ago. Did you make it?

M Sparks
02-18-2012, 09:21 AM
I did not go. I saw them open for Holy Fuck, but Cold Cave would be a better fit. I stayed in and tinychatted and watched both Wayne's World movies, which, apparently, became terrible at some point.

So...yeah, I need to get out tonight. Actually, I did go out yesterday- I had breakfast with co-workers after a meeting, and then I met a high school friend to see Safe House (which was watchable) at a matinee. I'm just not used to being home alone at night.

amyzzz
02-22-2012, 07:09 AM
Is anyone voting Tuesday? (as an ironic republican). I'm not sure who I should throw my vote to. I need a weak candidate so Obama can win, but I really don't want to vote for a complete nutjob like Santorum.

M Sparks
02-22-2012, 10:09 AM
I'm probably voting for Romney, because I'm getting nervous. I think Obama can beat any of these people, but just in case there is some crazy turn of events, I don't want the risk of Santorum being on that ticket.

I argued with Faxy about that, why I felt Romney was better than Santorum, and I've also had "Who's worse, Newt or Santorum" arguments as well. I just kind of feel like as long as Romney keeps getting richer, and people like me keep getting poorer, that's all he cares about. I'd rather be poor and have my freedoms.

amyzzz
02-22-2012, 10:22 AM
Poverty or birth control, what's it gonna be?

Edit: although I was thinking about voting for Ron Paul, but he's potentially racist and pro-life.

faxman75
02-22-2012, 10:24 AM
I recently registered with the Green party.

I'm all moved in now. I love the new place and the area thus far. I moved in Friday night and went over to Bikini with some of the my helpers and we all had a good time. The next day we walked the mile down Roosevelt to the light rail and took that to the beer festival at Indian School Park. After we had a delicious meal at Pita Jungle and finally made our way back to Bikini for more drinks. We were all pretty tired by midnight so we made it back to my place and ordered a pizza from Z Pizza. Pretty tasty pizza but a little pricey. It was about $25 for 8 decent slices of a one topping. Anyway, i've been unpacking and purchasing things for the apartment since Sunday. It's nice and roomy but I have a lot of stuff that's filling it out quite nicely.

Kooky Krafts is a pretty far out shop. It looks like a lot of birthday cakes from the window but inside you will find many oddities and crafts made out of doll heads and what nots. I have a lot more exploring to do but the apartment seems to be filling up a bit. By the end of next month it might be almost half full. I hope to have a housewarming gathering but I suck at making those sorts of things happen so we will see. If anyone hits up any shows at Trunk Space or goes for drinks at Bikini hit me up. My living room has plenty of seating and I usually have booze on hand for some pre outing drinks.

TomAz
02-22-2012, 10:25 AM
Is anyone voting Tuesday? (as an ironic republican). I'm not sure who I should throw my vote to. I need a weak candidate so Obama can win, but I really don't want to vote for a complete nutjob like Santorum.

I also vote in the Republican primary -- you see it as ironic, I see it as strategic. I always vote for the most moderate candidate running so that the power that be get the message. See how much good that's done.

If I vote Tuesday it'll be for Romney for precisely the reasons the rest of the field says I shouldn't.

faxman75
02-22-2012, 10:27 AM
Poverty or birth control, what's it gonna be?

Edit: although I was thinking about voting for Ron Paul, but he's potentially racist and pro-life.

If I was voting in this primary I would vote for Ron Paul. He isn't going to get anywhere nationally with his racist thoughts and even in the state of Texas he hasn't tried to pass anything racist. The pro life thing is probably not going to matter either. The others have far more dangerous platforms from what I can tell so voting for a fake libertarian would be better than voting for either of the other two. It's just a field of bozos.

TomAz
02-22-2012, 10:27 AM
Fax, what practical value is there for registering for the Green party? I mean you can still register republican, vote in the republican primary, and then vote Green to your heart's content in the general elections. Do you just like having a card that says Green Party on it?

Mr. Dylanja
02-22-2012, 10:29 AM
$25 for a single topping? Holy shit. What's average nowadays?

locachica73
02-22-2012, 10:32 AM
$10 - $12 for shitty delivery places, but $20 + at decent places. I paid $20+ for a large cheese pizza by my house the other day.

faxman75
02-22-2012, 10:32 AM
Tom, you're right and my plan was to register Republican to vote Tuesday but I did my affiliation selection when I updated my address and didn't put any thought into it other than who I would be voting for in the general.

Audra, I agree. I would rather pay more for quality. I'm used to $10 Pizza hut deal that comes with shitty pizza, bread sticks and cinnnamon bread. However, I won't be ordering pizza very often anyway.

M Sparks
02-22-2012, 10:38 AM
I'm registered No Party, and ideally I would vote for Ron Paul because Fax is right. But at this point, I need to vote AGAINST Santorum.

chairmenmeow47
02-22-2012, 10:44 AM
i believe i am independent. i don't bother registering republican to vote in the primaries. i don't ever want republican on my "record". i don't wish to show any support for the party, even if it would help select a less-evil overlord. i have trouble viewing the system as something to be tampered with as opposed to giving my honest opinion. it's not a bad strategy; it just goes against my views on voting. and it's not to say i'd never vote for a republican in the november election if i found one i liked.

i also secretly root for ron paul since he's such an outcast, but i myself would never vote for him. pro-life is a major deal breaker for me. i also find his ideas to be slightly archaic; specifically the focus on states rights. while i'm all for fixing our financial mess and putting a halt to policing the world, it's pointless if no one else is playing the game with him. hopefully more people will think more like him in the future; i just don't think we're there yet.

M Sparks
02-22-2012, 10:56 AM
So, I'm doing the 4 Hour Body diet, so to speak. I don't know if it really has a name, and I haven't read the whole book yet, but the whole diet chapter is online for some reason. Down 4+ pounds in 4 days. (I had spent the previous 6 weeks working out an hour a day and gained 3 pounds.) We'll see how easy it is to stick to long term, but I'm doing well so far, and it's inexpensive.

Anyway, part of the plan is you only do it six days a week. You are supposed to eat whatever you want the 7th day. It makes it easier not to cheat if you know you can have whatever you are craving on the weekend, and the caloric spike is supposed to keep your metabolism from shutting down. My day is Saturday, so that means beer on Saturdays only, but I guess I can drink red wine on Fridays.

But really what I came here to ask is if there is anything going on this weekend. If it's my first "cheat day", I think it would be pretty pathetic sitting at home gorging on pizza and beer alone. Anyone want to go eat something terrible for us?

chairmenmeow47
02-22-2012, 11:03 AM
i'll be in nogales or i'd go. and good luck with the diet :)

locachica73
02-22-2012, 11:13 AM
Marc, we aren't up to much this weekend so if you come up with something let me know.

This is the first weekend in awhile that I don't have something planned. I hate not having a plan.

westcoastpirate
02-22-2012, 11:14 AM
But really what I came here to ask is if there is anything going on this weekend. If it's my first "cheat day", I think it would be pretty pathetic sitting at home gorging on pizza and beer alone. Anyone want to go eat something terrible for us?

If you want to drink beer, there are a couple things going on. Kiltfest at Cityscape; which is some kind of celebration of Four Peaks Kiltlifter, $5 to get in. And then there is a beer fest at Papago Brewery for $20.

M Sparks
02-22-2012, 11:31 AM
Kiltfest at Cityscape; which is some kind of celebration of Four Peaks Kiltlifter.

A celebration of being slightly above average and easy to obtain!

EDIT- Which, coincidentally, is also what I'm looking for in a date.

M Sparks
02-22-2012, 11:36 AM
Marc, we aren't up to much this weekend so if you come up with something let me know.

This is the first weekend in awhile that I don't have something planned. I hate not having a plan.

I'm going to be craving food more than beer. I never drink during the week anyway. I don't think I will be going to any beer fests, but the Cityscape thing is cheap, so maybe. I have no idea where that is though.

Edit...OK this might be good. Food trucks!

http://www.cityscapephoenix.com/entertainment-and-events/detail/Kilt+Fest/

Mr. Dylanja
02-22-2012, 11:38 AM
What's the 4 hour body diet?

amyzzz
02-22-2012, 12:00 PM
Heh, I just looked up my family kilt because of that website you posted, Marc.

http://www.scotclans.com/scottish_clans/clan_macbean/tartan.html

captncrzy
02-22-2012, 12:12 PM
MacIntyre

Gaelic Name:

Mac-an-t-Saoir

Motto:

Per ardua (Through difficulties)

Badge:

White heather

Lands:

Kintyre, Degnish, Glencoe and Badenoch

Origin of Name:

Gaelic, Mac-an-t-saoir (Son of the carpenter)

Pipe Music:

Gabhaidh sinn an Rathad Mortd

Clan Chief

James MacIntyre of Glenoe

Mr. Dylanja
02-22-2012, 12:53 PM
Has anybody been to Joe's Grotto? How is it?

captncrzy
02-22-2012, 01:01 PM
It's an old heavy metal bar. Now it's a hard rock bar where all the old heavy metal guys hang out.

chairmenmeow47
02-22-2012, 01:04 PM
speaking of, whatever happened to jugheads? i drove by recently and it didn't appear to be open.

Mr. Dylanja
02-22-2012, 01:07 PM
Yeahhhhhh, no.

I get wor wonton soup from the place next tour, and have always wondered about it. I've heard live music coming from there a few times, and it never sounded like rock. Glad I know now, thanks.

faxman75
02-22-2012, 02:11 PM
I've seen a few rock shows at Joe's Grotto in the early 00's. Truckers on Speed and Gloritone come to mind they are local bands you could see at Long Wongs back in the day.

M Sparks
02-22-2012, 11:13 PM
What's the 4 hour body diet?

http://gizmodo.com/5709913/4+hour-body-+-the-slow+carb-diet

Apparently, that's the entire chapter from the book, although it refers to many other chapters. If this goes well for a few weeks, I will pick up the book (which is probably the strategy of allowing it online.) I've heard it's an interesting read...the guy has a bit of a mad scientist streak, like implanting a glucose meter for real time results. Also, apparently a good chunk of it is about tantric sex or something.

4 days down. Immediate results are encouraging, and I've lost enough that there's no way I can put it back on in one day on Saturday. I'm exercising 30-45 minutes a day (I was doing 60-90 minutes and getting nowhere.)

chairmenmeow47
02-23-2012, 04:23 AM
way to go, marc! that's so awesome :)

faxman75
02-23-2012, 08:40 AM
From the Crescent facebook page a cover band night:
THE CURE, DEPECHE MODE, THE JESUS AND MARY CHAIN and THE SMITHS — Thursday, February 23 at 7:30pm at Crescent Ballroom.

M Sparks
02-23-2012, 08:57 AM
Damn, that sounds fun, but I work.

Down another pound today.

Mr. Dylanja
02-23-2012, 09:02 AM
A Life of Science friend is singing some of The Cure tracks.

amyzzz
02-27-2012, 10:43 AM
Would any of you all be interested in doing a Hikenbrunch east side? Maybe hike somewhere in the Superstitions at 8ish then head over to my place for crepes 11ish? I'm thinking either Sunday March 25th or April fools Sunday.

chairmenmeow47
02-27-2012, 10:45 AM
i can't do the 25th, but maybe the other weekend!

faxman75
02-27-2012, 11:09 AM
April fools Sunday I will be returning from a Vegas weekend. I'm definitely down for another hikenbrunch wherever though. :)

TomAz
02-28-2012, 06:46 AM
I can't even bring myself to vote today. I can't decide if I should hold my nose and cast a vote for Romney, in order to support more moderate policies, or if I should vote for one of the crazy people, in order to make Obama more re-electable this fall. Either way the stench is so bad I can't seem to get the energy up to do it.

westcoastpirate
02-28-2012, 09:24 AM
I think this is pretty relevant to your post, Tom:

Poll: Given Choice Between Romney and Santorum, Most Voters Choose Suicide

amyzzz
02-28-2012, 09:25 AM
Yeah that's what I was complaining about last week. I feel like if I vote for Romney or Santorum my vote would count, but if I vote for Paul, my vote would be thrown away. I might vote this afternoon.

faxman75
02-28-2012, 09:46 AM
A vote is participation in a process in my opinion. No matter who you chose it's not "thrown away". I know many disagree with that though. I've been told i'm throwing away my vote in November by voting Green party. With that logic argue that voting for the status quo is also throwing it away.

I.F.A.
02-28-2012, 01:33 PM
Would any of you all be interested in doing a Hikenbrunch east side? Maybe hike somewhere in the Superstitions at 8ish then head over to my place for crepes 11ish? I'm thinking either Sunday March 25th or April fools Sunday.

I'm in! I'm pretty sure I could do 4/1.

amyzzz
02-29-2012, 10:42 AM
Good I'll make an event and see if anyone else wants to join in.

M Sparks
02-29-2012, 10:57 AM
I work Sundays, but as long as I get out of Mesa by 12:30 or 1, I can get away with going to work sweaty.

I.F.A.
02-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Ah, actually, just checked my calendar and can't do the first - I forgot that I'm doing a garden tour with my mom that day.

amyzzz
03-01-2012, 08:31 AM
I created the event: we are going to hike the Peralta Trail, which is 4.5 miles round trip at 8am, then head over to my house at 11 for crepes. If anyone wants to go who is not friends with me on facebook, let me know.

edit: Sunday, April 1st!

locachica73
03-01-2012, 08:34 AM
How steep of a hike is this? I have slacked horribly on my plan to try to get in better shape. :(

amyzzz
03-01-2012, 08:50 AM
Audra, I do not think it is that strenuous although there is an incline near the end. I am going to check it out this weekend, and I will report back.

Mr. Dylanja
03-01-2012, 11:52 AM
If anyone wants to go who is not friends with me on facebook, let me know.

:cat

captncrzy
03-01-2012, 01:21 PM
Please, you don't get out of bed that early for crepes.

faxman75
03-05-2012, 09:49 AM
Hi Phoenix! The Clubhouse eh?

M Sparks
03-05-2012, 10:01 AM
Wha happened?

captncrzy
03-05-2012, 10:01 AM
Major ghetto-style shooting.

Somewhat Damaged
03-05-2012, 10:15 AM
Nice hanging out with you Friday night, Mark. Enjoyed your new digs! When we were at the Crescent, did you have a mixed drink? If so, were you ill at all on Saturday? It occurred to me yesterday that the two times I've gotten the stomach flu in the last month both followed a night of having at least 1 mixed drink at the Crescent. That seems like too much of a coincidence to merely be a coincidence.

faxman75
03-05-2012, 10:29 AM
It was nice having you guys over on Friday. I did not have any mixed drinks but I did seem to have a bit of a stomach issue on Saturday now that you mention it. It seemed to last less than a day but I chalked it up to just drinking beer for about 7 hours. Makes me wonder though..

Clubhouse drama

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1680420/nipsey-hussle-shooting.jhtml

M Sparks
03-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Ah, so now the incredibly annoying, slow, and always late-starting line outside the Clubhouse can get you killed too.

Somewhat Damaged
03-05-2012, 01:01 PM
It was nice having you guys over on Friday. I did not have any mixed drinks but I did seem to have a bit of a stomach issue on Saturday now that you mention it. It seemed to last less than a day but I chalked it up to just drinking beer for about 7 hours. Makes me wonder though..

I suppose it could have also been those random Girl Scout cookies I found at the Bikini that I thought would be a good idea to eat. You & I are the only ones who had any.

captncrzy
03-05-2012, 02:12 PM
I suppose it could have also been those random Girl Scout cookies I found at the Bikini that I thought would be a good idea to eat. You & I are the only ones who had any.

And that explains why they were sitting there.

amyzzz
03-05-2012, 02:52 PM
Hipster bait.

M Sparks
03-07-2012, 11:55 PM
Hey, I am going to wind up with an extra weekend 1 car camp pass. I have one on the way that was supposed to go to someone in our camp group, but they've dropped out. We'd like a 6th car to round out the space... it would be easiest to give it to someone in Phoenix because we need to switch the matching wristband before we get there. Also, 4 out of 5 of our cars are coming from Phoenix. It's a free pass. If there's anyone who isn't sure where they are staying or wants to save the hotel money, talk to me. The pass is free, you just have to meet us in Indio Thursday afternoon. No lurkers, unless someone vouches for you. PM me for details.

captncrzy
03-08-2012, 07:23 AM
"someone" = Courtney

M Sparks
03-08-2012, 08:38 AM
"someone" = Courtney

Nope, she had her own pass. I don't know if this person has told everyone they aren't coming.

HotHamWater
03-08-2012, 08:50 AM
I'd like to know who "someone" is. Spill it, Marc.

captncrzy
03-08-2012, 08:59 AM
NOW I'M PERPLEXED

M Sparks
03-08-2012, 09:42 AM
The fact that you don't know is why I'm not making announcements on their behalf. Although it's probably on your Facebook.

Suffice to say, I have an extra camping pass, free to anyone with a car who wants to join our commune.

Mr. Dylanja
03-08-2012, 09:54 AM
Facebook? Must be Tom.

Somewhat Damaged
03-08-2012, 09:54 AM
Or Micah.

Probably Micah.

Yup, it's gotta be Micah.

captncrzy
03-08-2012, 10:24 AM
I can't handle secrets

captncrzy
03-08-2012, 10:31 AM
Just figured it out. That sucks.

insbordnat
03-08-2012, 06:02 PM
Has anybody been to Obscura at Rips Bar?

westcoastpirate
03-08-2012, 06:43 PM

Hell yeah! It rules!

Mr. Dylanja
03-08-2012, 07:07 PM
Suffice to say, I have an extra camping pass, free to anyone with a car who wants to join our commune.

I'm interested in this.

M Sparks
03-08-2012, 11:00 PM
You know how to contact me if you're serious. The guest list keeps dropping. It's down to me, Audra & her daughter, IFA, The Clares, Sean, TheIjewelorwhateverhisnameis, and his friend. And maybe Menik, he's still on the list, but I think he said he wasn't camping. We have a shade thing with misters and good beer.

mountmccabe
03-09-2012, 05:38 AM

Yeah; it's a lot of fun!

insbordnat
03-09-2012, 05:45 AM
^Nice, I'll have to check it out then. It's sad I've lived here for 7 years and haven't really explored.

HowToDisappear
03-11-2012, 09:35 AM
So, allegedly the town of Globe has the best Mexican food in AZ? We're going to drive the Apache Trail Loop on Fri, and if this statement is true, we'll stop in town and check it out. Your recommendations, Phoenicians?

Gribbz
03-11-2012, 09:48 AM
I don't think there's a best anything in Globe.

fetuspiniata
03-11-2012, 10:18 AM
There is a really good mexican food place in superior but I don't know about Globe!

LickTheLizzard
03-12-2012, 06:54 PM
Has anyone else been to FilmBar? I had a terrible experience there tonight.

faxman75
03-12-2012, 08:02 PM
I have heard nothing but good about it but I have yet to go. My neighbor says he goes a few times a week. What happened?

captncrzy
03-13-2012, 07:53 AM
Has anyone else been to FilmBar? I had a terrible experience there tonight.

We've been once. We liked it but there was some bitch in the audience that wouldn't get off her phone. THe entire Kirsten Dunst nude scene in Meloncholia was ruined.

I.F.A.
03-13-2012, 12:40 PM
I've gone quite a few times. What was so bad about your experience there? I've never had a bad time. ... well, except when I went to see that Sigur Ros movie, but that had more to do with my not liking the movie than with Filmbar.

LickTheLizzard
03-13-2012, 12:47 PM
I bought tickets online to see Jay Reatard: Better Than Something. My ticket, the FilmBar website and all the emails I had said the movie started at 7:30. When I showed up they said there was a mix up and they started the movie @ 6:30. I have to say though, after talking with them via email today I am very impressed with their customer service, even though I am pissed I missed the movie, they are refunding me and sending me some free passes. So I take back my report of a terrible experience. I'll give them another shot. There is another showing of the movie on Saturday so I am going to try and make it to that.

Mr. Dylanja
03-13-2012, 06:26 PM
They're shutting down The Clubhouse! (http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/uponsun/2012/03/clubhouse_music_closed_tempe.php)

Well played, Crescent Ballroom. Well played.

M Sparks
03-13-2012, 11:15 PM
I bought tickets online to see Jay Reatard: Better Than Something. My ticket, the FilmBar website and all the emails I had said the movie started at 7:30. When I showed up they said there was a mix up and they started the movie @ 6:30. I have to say though, after talking with them via email today I am very impressed with their customer service, even though I am pissed I missed the movie, they are refunding me and sending me some free passes. So I take back my report of a terrible experience. I'll give them another shot. There is another showing of the movie on Saturday so I am going to try and make it to that.

They did do their best to correct that. I remember seeing something about it on Facebook Monday afternoon.

captncrzy
03-15-2012, 02:07 PM
Did y'all see this?

http://kukq.com/

M Sparks
03-16-2012, 12:49 AM
Yup.

TomAz
03-16-2012, 07:03 AM
Did y'all see this?

http://kukq.com/

oh, FM radio. how quaint.

M Sparks
03-16-2012, 09:45 AM
oh, FM radio. how quaint.

It was AM radio in the 90s, and now it's on the internet, so...no.

That link seems to be dead. http://www.kukqphoenix.com links to their Facebook page temporarily, it says the launch was delayed.

amyzzz
03-16-2012, 10:14 AM
Oh kukq. My introduction to alternative music!

captncrzy
03-16-2012, 12:11 PM
It was AM radio in the 90s, and now it's on the internet, so...no.

That link seems to be dead. http://www.kukqphoenix.com links to their Facebook page temporarily, it says the launch was delayed.

That's weird; it worked a few hours ago. Huh.

mountmccabe
03-16-2012, 12:33 PM
Maybe they already folded under Tom's acerbic wit.

TomAz
03-16-2012, 12:40 PM
It's happened before.

LickTheLizzard
03-17-2012, 10:49 PM
I went back to FilmBar tonight and saw Jay Reatard: Better Than Something with the free passes they gave me for the mix up earlier this week. Cool theater, loved the movie. I don't know if there are anymore showings, but I really recommend it.

captncrzy
03-18-2012, 06:58 AM
I posted a message on KUKQ's facebook wall asking them to not fuck things up. They liked it. Fingers crossed.

I guess they're launching Mondayish.

M Sparks
03-21-2012, 12:46 AM
http://kukqphoenix.com is live now. I had to clear my cache, I kept getting the Facebook page.

It's funny what a slave we are to branding. It's a decent but unsurprising old/new music mix with little personality. Yet I will listen...at least for a while. I have heard they have some live shows, but tonight it's a jukebox.

fetuspiniata
03-30-2012, 09:24 AM
I'm looking to sell a Wristband for weekend 2 at face value. I don't want to deal with shipping/billing so I'm posting in here to find someone local to buy it. I have this saturday off and can deliver to any part of the valley!

shannonstar
04-03-2012, 09:53 AM
I'm looking to sell a Weekend 1 companion car / parking pass at face value. I also don't want to deal with shipping/billing or meeting up with someone over at Coachella from another state so I am posting it here to find someone local to buy it too. Hit me up!!

faxman75
04-04-2012, 09:58 AM
If anyone knows of any local bands looking for a gig on Friday.

ATTENTION!! We need a band for this FRIDAY! 6pm-8pm here @Oasis on Grand. Please contact right away if you or someone you know is available!

602-358-8185

TomAz
04-04-2012, 10:00 AM
Let's form a band.

TomAz
04-04-2012, 10:04 AM
I think we should call ourselves The Fuckarpaios.

TomAz
04-04-2012, 10:05 AM
I will sing. Let's get Sean to play guitar. Mark you can play bass. We should get an undocumented hispanic to play drums and a funky african-american with a huge fro to play keys.

TomAz
04-04-2012, 10:06 AM
In order to be ready for a Friday gig, we'll pretty much have to restrict ourselves to Clash covers.

captncrzy
04-04-2012, 10:06 AM
Sean will probably fight you to sing.

TomAz
04-04-2012, 10:07 AM
OK Sean can sing the Mick parts and I'll sing the Joe parts.

captncrzy
04-04-2012, 10:10 AM
He'll want to do both. Total microphone hog.

faxman75
04-04-2012, 10:14 AM
I will sing. Let's get Sean to play guitar. Mark you can play bass. We should get an undocumented hispanic to play drums and a funky african-american with a huge fro to play keys.

I got me and the undocumented hispanic covered. I like the name too. Perfect.

M Sparks
04-04-2012, 10:45 AM
I will sing Topper Headon's parts.

amyzzz
04-05-2012, 11:24 AM
My work is hiring for shitty $10 an hour sales jobs if anyone wants one. After laying off the salespeople who actually have a decent salary.

TomAz
04-05-2012, 11:27 AM
Any salesperson working on salary sucks.

rodri231
04-06-2012, 02:19 AM
Looking to trade a weekend 1 and car camping pass for weekend 2 and car camping pass or car companion pass. I have all the original packaging a receipts. txt me if interested. 775-7450-7365

Kat