PDA

View Full Version : The Phoenix Thread!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 [81] 82 83 84 85 86 87 88

faxman75
05-26-2011, 09:39 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/ohio-heartbeat-bill-abortion-paves-roe-wade-challenge/story?id=12876224

Arizona is considering laws that would ban abortions on the basis of the race or sex of the fetus, and prevent state money from going toward abortion, either directly or indirectly.

Even when i'm reading national news or stories about other states....I can't avoid news worth getting disappointed about regarding our state.

Somehow I missed it when it happened but this passed in late March.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/arizona-bans-abortion-based-sex-race-fetus/story?id=13257053

NachoCat
05-27-2011, 07:25 AM
Arizona is so racist its not even funny.

captncrzy
05-27-2011, 07:37 AM
Well, yeah...but that's not about racism.

NachoCat
05-27-2011, 07:47 AM
Yes, and I'm not the wurst speller on the board.

chairmenmeow47
05-27-2011, 09:02 AM
the first part of that is retarded. people will just provide a different reason for their abortion.

ramblinon
05-27-2011, 09:10 AM
Jesus fucking christ.

Jan Brewer has set herself up as a states' rights vigilante - how fucking hypocritical of her to cry federal jurisdiction on this shit.

The more I think about it, the more I fume. I'm not usually one for outbursts, but I am so fucking sick of the politics in this state.

One big thing in common between the MMJ lawsuit and challenging the Feds on immigration and the right to question citizenship... Arizona's view on both means more people in detention centers.

More people in detention centers equals more revenue for our privatized prison system, led in part in this state by the Corrections Corporation of America. More revenue for CCA means more political contributions for AZ GOP politicians, which they have been funding significantly over the last decade. More contributions means they can more easily defend their turf and keep their seats...

And so it goes. At least other states are more cagey about their quid pro quo addictions.

I.F.A.
05-27-2011, 09:22 AM
Yeah, I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but the prisons have mad lobbying power in this state. I'd say that's not entirely it, or that the connection is that simple, but there's something there.

And it's not just about the MMJ and Immigrant stuff - I mean, they passed (or, tried to pass, not sure what the final outcome was) a bill last session exempting AZ from having to phase out the sale of incandescent light bulbs (a referendum on The Clean Energy Act). They're making states' rights in to this Alamo Stand, and it's fucking retarded (and, as I noted earlier, entirely hypocritical with the various suits that they also have going against the federal government).

locachica73
05-27-2011, 10:47 AM
I am going out to buy furniture this weekend for my new place. I have never furniture shopped before. I was thinking I would hit up Mor or Ashley Furniture because I heard they are having a big Memorial Day sale. Does anyone have any other recommendations of places to go? Or any good reasons why I shouldn't hit the two I mentioned? I want to buy a sofa/sectional and some dining room chairs. I looked at Ikea and everything was out of my price range. I have a $1000 budget. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :)

captncrzy
05-27-2011, 10:51 AM
If you're up for a drive, there's a La Z Boy clearance center near the airport.

M Sparks
05-27-2011, 10:51 AM
It will always be Desert Sky Furniture to me.

downingthief
05-27-2011, 10:53 AM
I am going out to buy furniture this weekend for my new place. I have never furniture shopped before. I was thinking I would hit up Mor or Ashley Furniture because I heard they are having a big Memorial Day sale. Does anyone have any other recommendations of places to go? Or any good reasons why I shouldn't hit the two I mentioned? I want to buy a sofa/sectional and some dining room chairs. I looked at Ikea and everything was out of my price range. I have a $1000 budget. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :)

Craigslist...save some money!

captncrzy
05-27-2011, 10:54 AM
Also, Terri's Consignment usually has new-looking and high-end stuff.

Oh, and JC Penney home store.

locachica73
05-27-2011, 11:02 AM
I was looking at Craigslist but I really want something new, I have always had other people's hand me downs. Plus, I have a fear of bed bugs so used furniture gives me the heebeejeebies.

I will check out Desert Sky & La Z Boy. Thanks! :)

edit: Mark, I googled Desert Sky Furniture with no luck, where are they located?

M Sparks
05-27-2011, 11:15 AM
edit: Mark, I googled Desert Sky Furniture with no luck, where are they located?

It was a joke for the old school Arizonans.

chairmenmeow47
05-27-2011, 11:23 AM
i got my couch from stage one furniture off of elliot and hardy. i believe they have a website. some of the stuff isn't cheap, but i felt the couch was super reasonable for how comfortable it is. and i got to pick my own fabric, but it takes time to build.

i also second the jc penny home store. there's one by arrowhead mall.

Mr. Dylanja
05-27-2011, 11:24 AM
It was a joke for the old school Arizonans.

You're flying over everybody today.

M Sparks
05-27-2011, 11:25 AM
Whatever you do, don't go to "The Dump" on Elliott. I went there when I was moving out because it's supposed to be like 75% off. What that means is that $20,000 sofas are now $5000 sofas.

amyzzz
05-27-2011, 11:26 AM
I got the joke, Marc, but I wasn't sure it was a joke.

M Sparks
05-27-2011, 11:29 AM
I got the joke, Marc, but I wasn't sure it was a joke.

I felt the same way when I watched Schindler's List.

chairmenmeow47
05-27-2011, 11:29 AM
Whatever you do, don't go to "The Dump" on Elliott. I went there when I was moving out because it's supposed to be like 75% off. What that means is that $20,000 sofas are now $5000 sofas.

the dump was awful. the sofas are insanely over-priced, are not large or comfortable and are hideous. but going there was how i found stage one furniture and my glorious comfy couch. they're in the same parking lot.

amyzzz
05-27-2011, 11:31 AM
oh wait...I just got the joke!

amyzzz
05-27-2011, 11:32 AM
(I hadn't really gotten it before)

locachica73
05-27-2011, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the heads up on The Dump, I was considering going there as well, glad I can skip it. My daughter got approved for her apartment too so I am going to be setting up two households this weekend. I am feeling slightly overwhelmed by the whole thing and will probably end up just drinking while sitting on the floor in my new place.

westcoastpirate
05-27-2011, 12:36 PM
IKEA has a clearance section way off to the side on the first level near the cashiers.

chairmenmeow47
05-27-2011, 12:37 PM
i know it's tempting, but don't feel pressured to buy everything at once or from the same store. different stores have different strengths. like i love my couch, but entertainment centers at that store are pricey in comparison and i'd be happy with something from ikea. ikea's linens suck, but places like jc penny home store have good prices.

and i know you said you don't want hand-me-down stuff, but you can always put new cushions and fabric on used dining room chairs.

i got my small dresser & nighstand from the ikea clearance section :thu a lot of times though, the furniture is already put together, so keep that in mind.

M Sparks
05-27-2011, 12:41 PM
Ikea and I got to be good friends last year. I don't think I would buy a sofa there, but you can't beat it for cheap-but-well-designed dressers, tables, storage, ect. Everything in my bedroom is from Ikea but the mattress.

downingthief
05-27-2011, 12:44 PM
I still don't have a kitchen table yet...need to get that done.

chairmenmeow47
05-27-2011, 12:50 PM
same here. i adore my hemnes dresser.

another tip, use that nail glue stuff when putting together ikea furniture.

i cannot stress my love for stage 1 furniture (http://www.stage1furniture.com/) couches enough though. sectionals (http://www.stage1furniture.com/phoenix-arizona/furniture/stores/index.php?CCategory=Sectionals). look at the yellow prices though, the "compare at" price always draws my eye in.

not a sectional, but i got mein in cornflower blue corduroy and i am SO IN LOVE:

http://www.castlefurnitureoutlet.com/stage1/admin/images/Robert%20Michael%20Ltd.-LRM-sku1269-1269.jpg

and i wish i could justify spending $450 on this:

http://www.castlefurnitureoutlet.com/stage1/admin/images/Najarian-JNA-STENZTVCW-398.jpg

I.F.A.
05-27-2011, 12:53 PM
^ I love that cabinet!! Maybe it will go on sale. :)

locachica73
05-27-2011, 01:23 PM
My bedroom furniture is all IKEA also, I love that place, actually I love the furniture from that place, but that place actually gives me panic attacks trying to shop there. I broke my bed a year ago and need to go there to see if I can get replacement bed screwy thingies but hate it enough to just sleep on my mattress that is on the floor. So I will probably head there this weekend to get the screwy thingies and check out their clearance section.

I would probably be ok buying dining room chairs/tables/etc used from craigslist, but anything with material or padding type stuff just freaks me out.

I am going to take my time, the one thing I really want to get this weekend is a sofa but the rest I plan on doing over time (unless something jumps out at me). I also plan on having Amy and Ivy help me with decorating because I love thier tastes. :)

NachoCat
05-27-2011, 01:36 PM
The rug is swag. Very Swag.

I.F.A.
05-27-2011, 01:41 PM
I also plan on having Amy and Ivy help me with decorating because I love thier tastes. :)

I am definitely on board. :)

amyzzz
05-27-2011, 01:41 PM
Your temperament is so similar to Jacob's, loca. He feels the exact same way about IKEA.

westcoastpirate
05-27-2011, 07:30 PM
Personally I prefer Crate & Barrel to IKEA. But Crate & Barrel's stuff is more expensive, however it's made out of solid materials not particle board. $1,000 will be gone in a flash.

If you go one level up at IKEA and get the stuff that's a little more expensive it's usually much much better quality than the cheapest stuff. And their middle to higher tier items are still less than most if not all other furniture places. I highly recommend IKEA for lamp/lighting fixtures of any price and baby/children's furniture too.

...plus IKEA has like 50 cent soft serve ice cream cones or something.

Timestretch
05-28-2011, 03:50 PM

I had an awful experience with Ashley. The kept pushing back the guarantee delivery date on my furniture. Their customer service call center employees read from a book of scripts and could not deal with the situation because it wasn't in their scripts. Finally got my stuff over a month late with no apologies. This is the short version of the story, the actual experience was much much more painful.

locachica73
05-31-2011, 06:15 AM
I went with the advice of my Coachella friends and just shopped around without purchasing. I think I have found the sofa/chair I want for my living room at Mor Furniture, but I am going to do some online research and see if I can get it anywhere cheaper.

I am all moved in to the new apartment and I absolutely love it. I feel so much more at home in this place. I have my very own bathroom again which is very nice, the kitchen is twice the size of my old one. In my old place you could stand at the stove and still reach into the fridge and the sink without moving. Now I have all sorts of space.

After moving we went out to do some celebrating, I came home and tried to let myself into the wrong apartment. Sure glad the key didn't work.

Alligator Bogaloo
05-31-2011, 12:22 PM
Okay, so what weekend are Phoenix people planning on going? I have mixed feelings about the whole two weekend thing right now. I don't like the fact that they're trying to recreate the same festival back to back. I'd like everyone that wants to go to go but this whole idea feels really weird. I can only imagine all the talk that will happen on the board about which weekend will be or was better. I'll vote now for the first weekend for a bunch of different reasons. This is just weird. Oy vey!

I guess the sign up for weekend 1 or weekend 2 answers my question.

sin213
05-31-2011, 01:15 PM
BOTH

and see completely different sets each weekend. no repeats unless my jaw is dropped and face is fully melted to the point that i have to see that set again no question.

Alligator Bogaloo
05-31-2011, 01:21 PM
Damn... You're hardcore Jason, you really going both weekends?

downingthief
05-31-2011, 01:22 PM
I would totally go to both if I could. No way I could swing it with work and Dad duties though.

locachica73
05-31-2011, 01:25 PM
I would totally go to both if I could. No way I could swing it with work and Dad duties though.

Even if I could swing it financially and get the time off from work, I just don't think my body could handle it. I can barely make it through Sunday without pain and suffering.

downingthief
05-31-2011, 01:30 PM
Even if I could swing it financially and get the time off from work, I just don't think my body could handle it. I can barely make it through Sunday without pain and suffering.

Not me! I would still get there early, and stay late...every day! :p

locachica73
05-31-2011, 01:35 PM
Not me! I would still get there early, and stay late...every day! :p

I have always been either extremely hungover, coming down from something or sunburnt... or all three. Add to that the lack of sleep from trying to sleep on the ground and I usually skip most of Sunday.

I am not camping anymore though so hopefully next year will be better. :)

amyzzz
05-31-2011, 01:36 PM
Everyone kind of strolls in late Sunday. :)

Alligator Bogaloo
05-31-2011, 01:51 PM
Just made my rsvp at the Motel 6 in Rancho Mirage for the first Coachella weekend. For 4 nights it was only $223.96. If I had booked 4 nights for the second weekend it would have been $359.96. Score for the earlier weekend next year!

Mr. Dylanja
05-31-2011, 02:03 PM
I'd love to go to both and play a bunch of golf/poker the week in between. Unfortunately, I think school will be in the way so I'll probably only go the first week.

Unless Tool or Radiohead is one of the headliners, then I'll do both AND go to school.

faxman75
05-31-2011, 02:31 PM
It's looking like camping first weekend then stroll over to Vegas for a few days mid-week since it will be next to nothing to live there and then possibly rent a house the following weekend. Any suggestions on rental companies?

Mr. Dylanja
05-31-2011, 02:32 PM
vrbo.com

faxman75
05-31-2011, 03:02 PM
:thu

sin213
05-31-2011, 04:11 PM
Damn... You're hardcore Jason, you really going both weekends?

Definitely going to try.

the only thing that would keep me from it is if i couldn't get enough time off work. and that shouldn't be a huge problem....especially if i start planning now.

going to try and see completely different groups each weekend....unless there was something that was just too good to pass up a 2nd chance to see again.

GOODBYE CONFLICTS!!

It's looking like camping first weekend then stroll over to Vegas for a few days mid-week since it will be next to nothing to live there and then possibly rent a house the following weekend. Any suggestions on rental companies?

this is going to be amazing if we can work it all out! if you need help coordinating for the coachella house, let me know. cass will be the best for working out a suite for vegas.

faxman75
05-31-2011, 05:26 PM
this is going to be amazing if we can work it all out! if you need help coordinating for the coachella house, let me know. cass will be the best for working out a suite for vegas.

I spent a bit of time on it today and mostly got frustrated. You are absolutely welcome to look into it. Vegas should be damn near half the price of what we paid last weekend which is basically nothing and yeah Cass will lock that down.

mountmccabe
05-31-2011, 06:56 PM
I would permanently trade Gracie for Tommy Hutton. Wow. After that inning of interesting and informed commentary I don't think I can go back to watching the rest of the game with Gracie in the booth.

amyzzz
06-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Hey, what was that drive-thru animal preserve called again? I have a 3 day weekend coming up in a couple weeks, and I'm thinking about checking that out.

Mr. Dylanja
06-01-2011, 10:33 AM
Out of Africa is in Camp Verde. Bearizona is by the Grand Canyon.

TomAz
06-01-2011, 10:36 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/TomAz/google.jpg

amyzzz
06-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Thank you Dylan and Tom.

Mr. Dylanja
06-01-2011, 10:48 AM
Tom Dylan was the man.

Fo' shizzle, zzzizzzle.

Somewhat Damaged
06-04-2011, 03:44 PM
We went to see X-Men: First Class at the AMC Westgate last night instead of the Harkins near our house and I think that's going to be the theater for us to attend from now on. Being that it was opening night, Jen anticipated it would be a nightmare and was kind of groaning at my insistence on going opening day. (I was a huge X-Men nerd when I was a kid. I one time didn't eat lunch for a month so I could save up $25 to buy a Wolverine comic book that I don't think ever ended up actually even being worth that much. I started the Comic Book Club at my high school and was photographed with an X-Men shirt for the yearbook. I have VHS tapes of X-Men cartoons from the 90s. I saw the first one twice opening day back in '99. So yeah, it's got a very strong nostalgic quality for me.) At the Harkins, we would've been ready to kill somebody during the movie because the crowds there ALWAYS SUCK, but at the Westgate, it was actually pretty pleasant. I maybe heard a couple people talking very quietly during the film, but it wasn't persistent and it was during an action scene when there wasn't any dialogue, so it didn't bother me.

There was, however, one goofball sitting 3 seats to my left who was possibly the stupidest person I've been in the presence of in a decade. He was talking to his friend and kept using "montage" when he meant "homage." Like, "Indiana Jones is a montage to the serial adventure movies Steven Spielberg enjoyed as a kid." He misused it at least twice and I found it very amusing. He also was confounded by the title of the JJ Abrams film Super 8, questioning if there were 7 other Super films that had preceded it. Once his friend explained to him 3 times that it's in reference to super 8 film cameras, he concluded that the movie would be shot solely with that kind of film stock, a la Cloverfield (his words, not mine), and complained that it's ridiculous how many movies are doing that these days.

Mr. Dylanja
06-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Harkins is a lot cheaper, imo, with the souvenir cup, and even the popcorn t-shirt if you have that. I also think the seats are more comfortable. Shitty movie crowds are aggravating as all hell though. For that reason, I try to avoid opening weekends at all costs.

westcoastpirate
06-04-2011, 07:41 PM
AMC Arizona Center=best crowds for movies I have ever experienced.

Somewhat Damaged
06-05-2011, 12:09 PM
Yeah, the loyalty cup is a big attraction, but it's gotten to the point that I just hate the theater-going experience for the most part and the few bucks saved on soda isn't a better option than not having to rehearse a creative way to say "shut the fuck up" for half the film.

Back in '99-'00, I went to the theater over 120 times each year, so for it to have gotten so bad for me that I go maybe once a month is pretty dramatic. Inconsiderate audiences and the increased cost has made it so there are very few occasions that I feel like I have to see something in a theater and not just wait for it to come to video, and the majority of the time my selections are based on whether it's a franchise I enjoyed when I was younger (i.e. X-Men, Scream) or stars an actor whose work I typically enjoy (Natalie Portman in Black Swan, Christian Bale in The Fighter).

chairmenmeow47
06-08-2011, 10:08 AM
anyone have a link to a map of the affected areas of the wallow fire?

faxman75
06-08-2011, 10:12 AM
This actually shows a slide by slide daily growth of the fire on a map. Though the progression stopped on June 6th. Maybe azcentral got bored with the updates? hmm.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/wallow-fire-timeline.html

downingthief
06-08-2011, 10:14 AM
Man, that sucks so bad. My favorite part of AZ is the White Mountains and Greer area. So beautiful.

M Sparks
06-08-2011, 10:26 AM
Not anymore.

downingthief
06-08-2011, 10:36 AM
Sigh.

Gribbz
06-08-2011, 10:38 AM
Mt. Lemmon and Sabino Canyon are closed for the foreseeable future. Sadness.

Somewhat Damaged
06-08-2011, 10:54 AM
Phew. We made it up there just in time a couple weekends ago.

I've got a coworker who's got property about 30 miles north of the fire. She's starting to get a little anxious about its progression.

locachica73
06-08-2011, 11:54 AM
If anyone hears of any company looking for an administrative assistant with a strong accounting background, please let me know. Preferably outside the construction industry or with a larger general contractor/architecture firm. I need a serious change from the boys world I have been stuck in for so long.

westcoastpirate
06-08-2011, 01:01 PM
If anyone hears of any company looking for an administrative assistant with a strong accounting background, please let me know. Preferably outside the construction industry or with a larger general contractor/architecture firm. I need a serious change from the boys world I have been stuck in for so long.

Translates to, "I need a new job because I got drunk and slept with my boss."

locachica73
06-08-2011, 01:05 PM
haha. hell no. You don't dip you pen in company ink, or some shit like that. I just need a change of pace. These boys are getting way too comfortable with me. I am now getting their lunches and drinks. Next thing I know I will be picking up their dry cleaning and buying gifts for their mistresses.

sin213
06-08-2011, 03:44 PM
have you ever told them no?

ask them to show you in your job description where it says you have to go get them lunch...

amyzzz
06-08-2011, 03:50 PM
JUST SAY NO, AUDRA.

locachica73
06-09-2011, 07:11 AM
We all know how good I am at saying no to people. :(

It started out so innocently that I didn't even think about it, I was going out to get food, I was asked where I was going and then asked if I could pick something up for them. Then it was, hey, we really want panda express, if you go there we will buy, ok, free lunch is cool even though I am not a big fan of panda express. Then it's hey audra, I need a panda bowl, when do you go to lunch? Then yesterday I was going to El Pollo Loco and somehow ended up picking up fountain drinks for the whole office at circle K. I don't even know how I end up doing these things, apparently the doormat sign over my head is fully visible to everyone. There are a lot of other things that are bothering me, that was just the topping on my cake yesterday. I just need to look for work outside of the construction industry, whenever I have looked for a job I really needed a job, so I took the first thing offered. I have the room to be a little more picky now so I am contacting a few head hunters and seeing what is out there.

amyzzz
06-09-2011, 09:17 AM
I never get food for other people, but then I'm socially challenged. I guess avoiding being the office doormat is a good side effect of that.

Mr. Dylanja
06-09-2011, 09:33 AM
I want pizzza!

locachica73
06-09-2011, 09:36 AM
Would you like a salad with that? And to drink?

Oops, I am doing it again.

amyzzz
06-09-2011, 01:18 PM
Does anybody want to see this at Camelview this weekend? It's fucking long.

Tree of Life (PG-13, 160 min)
10:40 AM , 11:40 AM , 2:30 PM , 3:30 PM , 6:15 PM , 7:15 PM , 9:45 PM , 10:45 PM

captncrzy
06-09-2011, 01:20 PM
I do.

I have prans on Saturday but I'd be down for either tomorrow night or Sunday.

amyzzz
06-09-2011, 02:00 PM
How does 7:15 tomorrow sound?

captncrzy
06-09-2011, 02:36 PM
Works for me.

mountmccabe
06-09-2011, 04:36 PM
Awww, I will be seeing Times New Viking at that time. I might be down for seeing it, like 6:15 pm Sunday.

amyzzz
06-09-2011, 04:36 PM
Awwwww.

captncrzy
06-09-2011, 04:45 PM
Amy can u do sunday?

amyzzz
06-09-2011, 04:50 PM
Yeah, ok. I kinda wanted to see it ASAP, but it'd be better to have John along.

captncrzy
06-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Cool. 615 sunday it is

mountmccabe
06-09-2011, 06:53 PM
Also, hey. The whole move to New York thing is happening. I have a job (in North Jersey, actually) and will be driving away, leaving on or about the 25th.

It has been a lot of fun hanging out with the many Phoenix board folk and I look forward to doing so in the future but less.

mountmccabe
06-09-2011, 06:57 PM
I don't mean that I look forward to hanging out with y'all less. Just that it, sadly, will happen less.

Folks can say goodbye/good riddance at various events: Times New Viking/Snow Songs at the Sail Inn tomorrow the 10th, Phoenix Coachella People Say Dance at wherever it will be (see the other thread or the Facebook event page) on Saturday (the 11th,) seeing Tree Of Life on Sunday at Camelview (see above a few posts,) Bill Callahan at the Rhythm Room on the 15th, and probably some sort of dedicated hangout thing circa the 17th or 18th somewhere or other.

captncrzy
06-09-2011, 07:00 PM
Im gonna rheow together a farethewell thingy very soon. Stay tuned.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-09-2011, 07:04 PM
We all know how good I am at saying no to people. :(

It started out so innocently that I didn't even think about it, I was going out to get food, I was asked where I was going and then asked if I could pick something up for them. Then it was, hey, we really want panda express, if you go there we will buy, ok, free lunch is cool even though I am not a big fan of panda express. Then it's hey audra, I need a panda bowl, when do you go to lunch? Then yesterday I was going to El Pollo Loco and somehow ended up picking up fountain drinks for the whole office at circle K. I don't even know how I end up doing these things, apparently the doormat sign over my head is fully visible to everyone. There are a lot of other things that are bothering me, that was just the topping on my cake yesterday. I just need to look for work outside of the construction industry, whenever I have looked for a job I really needed a job, so I took the first thing offered. I have the room to be a little more picky now so I am contacting a few head hunters and seeing what is out there.

I'm not even an assistant of any kind, but once my boss once made me drive him to his hair salon because he wanted to see if I would be able to tell that his transsexual hairdresser used to be a man

chairmenmeow47
06-09-2011, 07:21 PM
CONGRATULATIONS JOHN!!!

captncrzy
06-09-2011, 07:38 PM
All done. Check your facebooks.

amyzzz
06-10-2011, 05:16 AM
Wow, congrats on the new job, John. We will miss you (until we see you again).

locachica73
06-10-2011, 06:19 AM
I'm not even an assistant of any kind, but once my boss once made me drive him to his hair salon because he wanted to see if I would be able to tell that his transsexual hairdresser used to be a man

LOL, see, that could be a fun field trip, I want a fun field trip. :)

CONGRATULATIONS JOHN!!! :)You will be missed.

chairmenmeow47
06-10-2011, 07:58 AM
it's a pain in the ass to get on facebook on my phone.

i have been super duper sick. i am really WANT to go tomorrow, but the way today is looking i'm not sure i'll be in shape to go out tomorrow. i feel bad because i setup the event and wasn't interested in switching soulwax, so i am really, really sorry. i plan on going to sleep immediately after work, so hopefully some rest will make me ready to dance tomorrow, but i'm just letting everyone know now i feel like death and cannot stop hacking up my lungs. so if marc isn't coming or you want to change to soulwax or whatever, go for it and don't plan around me. sorry guys, especially marc, jen & john :(

NachoCat
06-10-2011, 08:15 AM
I forgot about my friends b-day pool party is on Sat as well. Starts around noonish so there is a very good possibility that ill be sunburnt , drunk and laying facedown on a couch somewhere around 10pm.

downingthief
06-10-2011, 08:59 AM
it's a pain in the ass to get on facebook on my phone.

i have been super duper sick. i am really WANT to go tomorrow, but the way today is looking i'm not sure i'll be in shape to go out tomorrow. i feel bad because i setup the event and wasn't interested in switching soulwax, so i am really, really sorry. i plan on going to sleep immediately after work, so hopefully some rest will make me ready to dance tomorrow, but i'm just letting everyone know now i feel like death and cannot stop hacking up my lungs. so if marc isn't coming or you want to change to soulwax or whatever, go for it and don't plan around me. sorry guys, especially marc, jen & john :(

Awww, that sucks Ivy. Hope you feel better! Have you gone to the DR yet?

captncrzy
06-10-2011, 09:02 AM
Well, Marc isn't into dance club stuff anyway. I'm cool with shifting gears and just going somewhere for a meal and some drinks. I think that's what he wanted to do anyway. Like I said, Obscura is every month.

chairmenmeow47
06-10-2011, 09:02 AM
yeah, they said i keep getting sinus infections & bronchitis as a result of allergies. and supposedly this is like the worst allergy season ever. i have meds, i just haven't been able to rest much this week with work.

captncrzy
06-10-2011, 09:03 AM
Take care of yourself.

amyzzz
06-10-2011, 09:18 AM
I also posted this on FB: I still want to go dancing at Rip's if there are still people up for it.

edit: and Ivy, I really hope you feel better soon.

locachica73
06-10-2011, 09:20 AM
How about we get together for dinner/drinks somewhere and see where the night takes us? I would love to get my dance on but could also be happy getting wasted with friends, shooting pool, bowling or bank robbing. Whatever comes up. :)

Somewhat Damaged
06-10-2011, 09:21 AM
I took a sick day to work on my movie and have instead paid bills, made a doctor's appointment, and dicked around on the board for the past hour while waiting for the exterminator to show up.

Day's still young, at least.

chairmenmeow47
06-10-2011, 09:28 AM
you can do it, rick!!!

if you switch to dinner, keep me in the loop. i have to drive out to my parent's tomorrow anyway to check on the house & may be able to stop by.

M Sparks
06-10-2011, 09:38 AM
There's a good chance I can't really do anything on Saturday anyway. I will be coming to John's going away party, though I will be late because I am flying back that evening. I'm too busy with this trip and other things, might try to do a birthday thing later in the month.

locachica73
06-10-2011, 09:39 AM
:( Well I was hoping to buy you birthday drinks, damn! Oh well. I am still down to do whatever so just let me know what you all decide.

amyzzz
06-10-2011, 09:44 AM
Where do we want to eat, Jen? :)

NachoCat
06-10-2011, 09:45 AM
Reschedule for next month :thu

mountmccabe
06-10-2011, 10:20 AM
We could go to Fez (Central S of Indian School) or has anyone been to Thai Basil (Central near Osborn)?

I have heard things about Switch (http://www.switchofarizona.com/SWITCH_Restaurant_%26_Wine_Bar/SWITCH_Menu.html) (Central near Thomas.)

I am trying to pick places near Rips, funny that they are all ending up on Central.

captncrzy
06-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Never been to either, but I hear Thai Basil is the cats meow.

I'll be downtown anyway--going to see Bridesmaids with Sheree at 4:15. I also heard that Windsor is very good. Getting good reviews on YELP. Been wanting to check it (http://www.windsoraz.com/main.htm). Or, John, I know you've been wanting to try the Main Ingredient. This may be your last chance. =(

downingthief
06-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Yes, Thai Basil has a soft spot in my heart. Good eats all around.

Wild Thaiger is better, though.

captncrzy
06-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Honestly not a fan of Thai food....

I.F.A.
06-10-2011, 10:29 AM
Fez and Switch will both be uber busy on a Saturday night, fyi... pretty much anything downtown will be though.

downingthief
06-10-2011, 10:31 AM
Honestly not a fan of Thai food....

And that is why you fail.

captncrzy
06-10-2011, 10:35 AM
Um, who's getting their ass kicked in Words With Friends?

My vote is for Main Ingredient (http://www.tmialehouse.com/). I know John's been wanting to try it...and last time we were there on a Saturday night it wasn't busy at all. Just need to call and reserve a table. Plus, I can have a White Chocolate Ale.

amyzzz
06-10-2011, 10:36 AM
That Switch menu looks awesome, and damn, that's right near my work (which sucks since we're going Saturday, but oh well).

edit: I don't remember being too impressed with the menu at Main Ingredient. But I don't drink.

locachica73
06-10-2011, 10:40 AM
Jen, is that where we met up once? I agree if it is, good beer selection, good food and I can smoke on the patio. :)

TomAz
06-10-2011, 10:40 AM
amy i hear your company is changing names. and that they are using actual words this time. explain.

amyzzz
06-10-2011, 10:44 AM
Qwest soon to be CenturyLink. We'll be covering 37 states now instead of just 14 and getting a bunch of residential customers in the deal, whereas legacy Qwest has lost so many landlines, we mostly focus on high speed internet (DSL) and small business/large business customers.

Full name change happens in August.

downingthief
06-10-2011, 10:45 AM
Um, who's getting their ass kicked in Words With Friends?

My vote is for Main Ingredient (http://www.tmialehouse.com/). I know John's been wanting to try it...and last time we were there on a Saturday night it wasn't busy at all. Just need to call and reserve a table. Plus, I can have a White Chocolate Ale.

Your ass has been kicked many a time too, Missy. Don't get all sassy on me...I'll take you down with the mood I am in. :p

captncrzy
06-10-2011, 11:49 AM
Jen, is that where we met up once? I agree if it is, good beer selection, good food and I can smoke on the patio. :)

Yes, same place. Best mac and cheese evar.

captncrzy
06-10-2011, 11:50 AM
Your ass has been kicked many a time too, Missy. Don't get all sassy on me...I'll take you down with the mood I am in. :p

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQcW49CP01LHYpBBqcP5XpXaCit1-d7NfB_mJ2LbWFap2i9NAtu

M Sparks
06-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Qwest soon to be CenturyLink. We'll be covering 37 states now instead of just 14 and getting a bunch of residential customers in the deal, whereas legacy Qwest has lost so many landlines, we mostly focus on high speed internet (DSL) and small business/large business customers.

I didn't know AZ was included in this and had been meaning to ask you what was happening to your office. I know Dish is now selling phone/broadband in all Qwest areas EXCEPT Arizona. Must be some weird regulatory thing.

amyzzz
06-10-2011, 12:05 PM
Is that your employer, Marc? As far as we know, everything is staying the same. The company has to notify our union 3 months in advance of any big lay-offs, and our contract isn't up until October of 2012, so there shouldn't be any big shake-ups until then (crossing fingers). I don't know about the managers though.

GuyInTucson
06-10-2011, 12:06 PM

Another name change? Didn't Qwest used to be U.S. West?

amyzzz
06-10-2011, 12:08 PM
Ten years ago. It seems to change every 10-15 years.

westcoastpirate
06-10-2011, 12:30 PM
We could go to Fez (Central S of Indian School) or has anyone been to Thai Basil (Central near Osborn)?

I have heard things about Switch (http://www.switchofarizona.com/SWITCH_Restaurant_%26_Wine_Bar/SWITCH_Menu.html) (Central near Thomas.)

I am trying to pick places near Rips, funny that they are all ending up on Central.

The closest nice restaurant to Rip's is Barrio Cafe. You can actually walk to Rip's from Barrio.

I.F.A.
06-10-2011, 12:52 PM
I've been meaning to go to Barrio for years now.

TomAz
06-10-2011, 12:56 PM
Another name change? Didn't Qwest used to be U.S. West?

Qwest acquired US West in a hostile takeover.

Relatively unknown fact: the founder of Qwest also owns Goldenvoice.

captncrzy
06-10-2011, 01:53 PM
Not to be a total cheap ass, but Barrio looks pretty pricey.

Also, I hate "gourmet" Mexican food. Just gimme a fucking taco.

I.F.A.
06-10-2011, 02:03 PM
I agree that it's probably too pricey for a meet-up.

locachica73
06-10-2011, 02:04 PM
I don't have internet at home and can only get to facebook from my phone, so could someone text me, or post something on facebook once you decide where you all are going? I am leaving work and going to drink my frustrations away.

I.F.A.
06-10-2011, 02:05 PM
I'll text you when it's decided. :)

captncrzy
06-11-2011, 08:36 AM
Ok just texted with john. Main Ingredient at 7. Ill be there aroumd 630or so.

amyzzz
06-11-2011, 10:14 AM
MAIN INGREDIENT AT 7. AWRIGHT.

westcoastpirate
06-11-2011, 10:19 AM
Mac & Cheese at Main Ingredient is the best!

Somewhat Damaged
06-11-2011, 12:44 PM
My movie plans for the day fell through so I shall be in attendance as well. Because everyone cares.

Maybe I'll get something other than a Jive Turkey this time, even though it's so much fun to order a "Jiiiive TurKEY" and then break into the full Simpsons dialogue. "You've got to sass it. Quit jivin' me, turKEY. You've got to sass it... A turkey is a bad person."

downingthief
06-11-2011, 02:28 PM
I will only go if you order the Jiiiiiiiiive turkey.

I.F.A.
06-13-2011, 08:37 AM
Sorry to have missed everyone on Saturday. My alternator died on me.

I think my new car is turning out to be a bit of a lemon - so far I've had it tuned up, put in new tires, brakes, struts, a catalytic converter, and battery. It's in the shop for the alternator today. And this is what happens when I let my mom help me shop for a car... but at least by the time this is all done, half of the parts will be brand new.

chairmenmeow47
06-13-2011, 08:42 AM
sorry about your car, that sucks :(

i was so sick all weekend and did absolutely nothing except sleep & get caught up on so you think you can dance, treme & game of thrones. hope the dinner was fun.

captncrzy
06-13-2011, 08:53 AM
Booo cars.

Sorry I missed the movie yesterday. Migraines are super fun and awesome.

Mr. Dylanja
06-14-2011, 12:25 PM
zzzizzz, did you still go, how was it?

Rick, how was Super 8?

amyzzz
06-14-2011, 12:29 PM
I went dancing Saturday, and I also went with John to see Tree of Life on Sunday. Both were awesome. I wrote a few words about Tree of Life in the movie thread, although there are spoilers. Incredible shots of nature in that movie, and great performances from the entire cast especially the little boys.

westcoastpirate
06-15-2011, 01:47 PM
They got enough valid signatures to make Russell Pearce face a recall election:

http://www.azcentral.com/news/election/azelections/articles/2011/06/15/20110615russell-pearce-recall-election-signatures-verified.html

westcoastpirate
06-15-2011, 03:20 PM
...and is there anyplace to go camping right now in Arizona that isn't on fire? Looking for a quiet spot not too crowded this weekend for my family (wife, me, and the baby). Any recommendations are appreciated.

faxman75
06-15-2011, 03:31 PM
The Mogollon Rim?

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/recreation/mog_rim/rec_mogollon.shtml

mountmccabe
06-15-2011, 04:14 PM
Speaking of the Mogollon Rim I was at Hutch Mountain over Memorial Day weekend

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2788/5837338269_c1606420f1_z.jpg

It will be 20-25 F cooler than the Phoenix area (including the lows) and I can't see it being crowded.

Where we camp is near a 3 hour drive from North Phoenix. It is near Clint's Well (one of the smaller campgrounds you see when following Mark's link.)

Hutch Mountain is undeveloped and there are no facilities there

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3407/5837333529_57b2a9af5f_z.jpg

I kind of love it.

Gribbz
06-15-2011, 04:21 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3407/5837333529_57b2a9af5f_z.jpg

I kind of love it.

This looks like AJ's backyard.

westcoastpirate
06-15-2011, 04:50 PM
I was looking near Clint Wells because it's in the Coconino National Forest which doesn't have fire restrictions like Tonto and Apache/Sitgreaves forests. Thanks for the heads-up John.

Alligator Bogaloo
06-15-2011, 06:49 PM
zzzizzz, did you still go, how was it?

Rick, how was Super 8?

Super 8 was good. It was pretty funny and entertaining for a summer movie. Stay for the credits. They show the super 8 film they're making during the movie.

mountmccabe
06-17-2011, 11:23 AM
Hey, folks. I used to paint with oils. It was fun, it was a think I could do alone, drunk and/or whilst listening to music.

I haven't done so in a while and offering up my supplies. Some of the paints and brushes are certainly still in good shape; certainly the collapsible easel, store bought pre-stretched canvases and plastic drop clothes are fine.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5108/5842608867_5e3f04d524_z.jpg

I am getting rid of this stuff. I will take any reasonable offer, which, yes, might be "I will come to North Phoenix and take it all from you."

This is a local offer.

EDIT: And we're done.

Mr. Dylanja
06-17-2011, 11:42 AM
Definitely interested.

I.F.A.
06-17-2011, 11:55 AM
If Dylan isn't already the confirmed new owner, I WILL COME TO NORTH PHOENIX AND BUY YOU DINNER AND BEER.

TomAz
06-17-2011, 11:58 AM
John, post pictures of your art.

edit: Please.

mountmccabe
06-17-2011, 12:31 PM
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i269/mountmccabe/Phoenix.jpg?t=1241926822

mountmccabe
06-17-2011, 12:32 PM
Remember when Matt & Kim were playing venues like the Trunk Space?

Also, hmm. I have photos of my paintings on my external hard drive and I should backup some stuff from this laptop to that hard drive before the move so when I do that I will upload some painting photos to Flickr and share them.

TomAz
06-17-2011, 12:41 PM
I remember that map.

Mr. Dylanja
06-17-2011, 12:45 PM
Tom, are you coming to The Dub tonight?

chairmenmeow47
06-17-2011, 12:53 PM
hahahhaha, i don't think i've ever seen that map. i'm now off the map entirely :p

i have to bring my laptop with me and will most likely be coming straight from work. so i plan to monopolize any floor space i can!

bug on your lip
06-17-2011, 12:55 PM
i'm bringing a backhoe with me.

Cuz i'm a construction worker now.

/endjoke

amyzzz
06-17-2011, 01:16 PM
I'm not really on the map either (and wasn't before). too far east.

Somewhat Damaged
06-17-2011, 01:59 PM
Rick, how was Super 8?

Sorry I didn't see this earlier, Dylan. I enjoyed it. There were a few things that really stretch credulity (I realize it's a movie involving, erm, a creature that isn't commonly seen in our daily life, but still, if there's a train that derails and destroys everything in its path, the heroes' car should not come out of the fray with but a bit of dirt dusted on the windshield), but for the most part, it's really well done. The child actors are solid and there are moments when you feel like you're actually there with them. JJ Abrams does a good job of keeping one on one's toes, particularly in the latter part of the film. I recommend it.

I more strongly recommend X-Men: First Class because I used to be a major X-Men nerd and regard the franchise nostalgically, but despite my subjectivity, the acting in that is top notch as well and it's gotten better reviews than you would expect for a comic book film. (Stuff like, "It's a good film," not "It's a good comic book film." There's no qualifier for a lot of critics giving it their approval.)

chairmenmeow47
06-17-2011, 02:12 PM
thank god john is leaving. i can't take his bullshit map inaccuracies :p

amyzzz
06-17-2011, 02:13 PM
You tell em, sister.

mountmccabe
06-17-2011, 02:35 PM
Black Fortress (oil and acrylic on posterboard)
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5224/5843773344_3667db0d89_z.jpg

Brown Dove
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3545/5843227017_19d885d8d7_z.jpg

Arizona Flag
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3511/5843773160_11e99b45e3_z.jpg

Trees
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5223/5843227095_be16a1d198_z.jpg

Trees is 2' x 3', the others are smaller.

mountmccabe
06-17-2011, 02:48 PM
I wanted to get real paintings for my walls instead of movie/band posters. I priced buying paintings I would put on my wall... and it was way more than I could spend so I decided it would be cheaper/easier to paint my own wall hangings. A better answer may've been finding the First Friday/local artists culture but this was a long time ago. But, hey, it was interesting. And, as mentioned before, painting was a thing I could do whilst drunk and listening to music and also I didn't need to convince other people to do it with me. And it did give me at least some at least somewhat interesting things to hang on my wall. The end.

amyzzz
06-17-2011, 03:06 PM
You're so awesome, John.

I.F.A.
06-17-2011, 03:08 PM
You're so awesome, John.

The Amys are agreed.

Also, is that sparkle I see glitter, or just glare? Please say it's glitter.

captncrzy
06-17-2011, 03:37 PM
Please retitle to:

"Mickey Mouse and His Blunt O Fun"

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3545/5843227017_19d885d8d7_z.jpg

TomAz
06-17-2011, 03:47 PM
Tom, are you coming to The Dub tonight?

Not sure what this is referring to. but regardless, no, I am having dinner with some old people tonight. Old as in 50th wedding anniversary old.

captncrzy
06-17-2011, 03:50 PM
Don't act like I didn't email you and invite you, you butthole.

mountmccabe
06-17-2011, 04:44 PM
Thank you, everybody.

Also, is that sparkle I see glitter, or just glare? Please say it's glitter.

There is certainly glare but there is also certainly glitter.

Somewhat Damaged
06-18-2011, 11:22 AM
So...how are everybody's hangovers coming along?

guedita
06-18-2011, 11:41 AM
I'm coming to Phoenix on July 22nd, people. Mark your calendars.

captncrzy
06-18-2011, 12:08 PM
I'll be camping up north. Fucker.

amyzzz
06-20-2011, 06:32 AM
I will be here! And I am thinking about going to Melt on that Saturday (I am assuming you're going to that, Cara).

Gribbz
06-20-2011, 09:35 AM
John McCain Claims Illegal Immigrants Started Arizona Wildfires Disputed by Forest Service

A U.S. Forest Service official said today there is no evidence that illegal immigrants started some of the wildfires in Arizona, as Sen. John McCain had claimed.

Tom Berglund, spokesman for the federal group managing the Wallow fire that McCain toured Saturday, said the cause of the fire has been determined as "human," specifically an "escaped campfire," meaning the campfire sparked beyond the confines of the rocks containing it.

Two "subjects of interest" have been spoken to, but as of now, no suspect has been named, Berglund said. When asked if there is substantial evidence that some fires were caused by illegal immigrants, as McCain said at a news conference Saturday, Berglund said: "Absolutely not, at this level."

"There's no evidence that I'm aware, no evidence that's been public, indicating such a thing," he said.

"We are concerned about, particularly, areas down on the border where there is substantial evidence that some of these fires are caused by people who have crossed our border illegally," McCain said Saturday at a press conference, according to CNN. "The answer to that part of the problem is to get a secure border.

"They have set fires because they want to signal others. They have set fires to keep warm and they have set fires in order to divert law enforcement agents and agencies from them," McCain said.

McCain offered no evidence to substantiate his claims, however, prompting criticism from Latino civil rights advocates.

Randy Parraz, a civil rights advocate who ran unsuccessfully against McCain as a Democratic candidate in 2010, was quick to deny McCain's accusations, calling them "carless and reckless."

"It's easier to fan the flames of intolerance, especially in Arizona," Parraz said.

"The degree of irresponsible political pandering by Sen. McCain has no limits," Angelo Falcon, the president of the National Institute for Latino Policy, told CNN. "With the lack of evidence, he might as well also blame aliens from outer space for the fires."

The Wallow fire, which has burned 511,118 acres of land according to InciWeb, an online database that tracks natural disasters. On Saturday, it was about 38 percent contained, according to the Arizona Republic, but authorities are concerned about high winds. The 200 residents of Luna, N.M., located seven miles away from the Arizona border, were evacuated on Saturday.

The Wallow fire is one of five wildfires currently being battled in Arizona, including the Monument fire in southern Arizona, which destroyed dozens of homes last week.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/john-mccain-claims-illegal-immigrants-started-arizona-wildfires/story?id=13879568

Somewhat Damaged
06-20-2011, 10:55 AM
Fucking McCain. Just when I thought maybe he could redeem himself by criticizing & pointing out that the GOP presidential hopefuls wouldn't be calling into question US war efforts in Afghanistan, Iraq, & Libya if a Republican were in office.

sin213
06-20-2011, 11:02 AM
yeah, that has to be the most ignorant statement i've heard or read about from him in quite a while...

just further proof that the only strategy of the republicans is to use misinformation to spread fear and doubt to their constituents as a means of gaining their support.

chairmenmeow47
06-20-2011, 04:07 PM
i'll be at melt, see you then cara!

TomAz
06-27-2011, 11:27 AM
speaking of melt(ing)

TEMPERATURE: HIGH TEMPERATURES IN THE AFTERNOON WILL REACH 111 TO 116 DEGREES TODAY AND TUESDAY... AND CONDITIONS WILL REMAIN EXCEPTIONALLY WARM OVERNIGHT TONIGHT AND TUESDAY NIGHT WITH LOWS IN THE MIDDLE 80S OVER THE WARMER CENTRAL DESERTS. HIGHS WEDNESDAY WILL BE A FEW DEGREES COOLER BUT MOST LOCALES WILL STILL REACH TO AROUND 110 DEGREES.

and according to weather.com we just hit 111 and it's not even 12:30 yet. ha ha. shit. ha ha.

captncrzy
06-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Jesus. This is what we get for having a relatively mild summer up until now.

downingthief
06-27-2011, 11:51 AM
Makes me glad I work from home.

faxman75
06-27-2011, 12:27 PM
Tom, did you make it to Tucson on Saturday night?

TomAz
06-27-2011, 12:31 PM
No.

I don't want to talk about it.

fuckers.

faxman75
06-27-2011, 02:04 PM
117 degrees today and tomorrow. I love Phoenix.

TomAz
06-27-2011, 02:06 PM
wow mark. you don't say?

faxman75
06-27-2011, 02:09 PM
I repeat.

Mr. Dylanja
06-27-2011, 02:11 PM
I got sunburned this weekend and everybody in my office wants to know if I'm aware of it.

Happy Monday!

captncrzy
06-27-2011, 02:43 PM
I'm having a hard time believing you left your house.

GuyInTucson
06-27-2011, 02:47 PM
I will be in Phoenix tomorrow night. I will be attending Tuesday night's and Wednesday afternoon's Dianmondbacks / Indians games.

Yes, short notice, but if anyone's available after the baseball game tomorrow night, let me know. Also, if anyone is going, let me know that as well.

Mr. Dylanja
06-27-2011, 02:51 PM
I'm having a hard time believing you left your house.

I didn't.

I will be in Phoenix tomorrow night. I will be attending Tuesday night's and Wednesday afternoon's Dianmondbacks / Indians games.

Yes, short notice, but if anyone's available after the baseball game tomorrow night, let me know. Also, if anyone is going, let me know that as well.

Pretty sure the zzzizzzler will be raging at Glitch Mob tomorrow.

Alligator Bogaloo
06-27-2011, 05:01 PM
I went and saw MMJ in Hollywood last Wednesday at the incredible Pantages Theatre. Pretty....pretty....good.

http://www.coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=121&pictureid=2306

westcoastpirate
06-27-2011, 06:23 PM
Here is a 20% off coupon for Zia (and a bunch of other businesses) for Local First week, it's good through July 4th:
http://www.localfirstaz.com/independents-week/golden-coupon.php

faxman75
06-28-2011, 06:51 AM

I will be taking Connor to WWE Smackdown a block away. Enjoy the game.

GuyInTucson
06-28-2011, 07:03 AM
As it stands now, it appears I will be meeting Ivy after the game for drinks. Not sure where exactly, but that's the plan. Anyone is welcome to join.

captncrzy
06-28-2011, 07:25 AM
Lemme know where you end up.

GuyInTucson
06-28-2011, 07:41 AM
I'll send you a message via facebook tonight at some point.

faxman75
06-28-2011, 11:16 AM
Phoenix folks travelling to L.A. in the next couple of months Southwest has $49 fares again. Other deals to California as well.

http://travel.southwest.com/specialoffers/offerDetails.html?id=69538926&departFrom=Phoenix+-+PHX&RMID=L_110628_CNS_B&RRID=YXpjYW5keW1hbkBnbWFpbC5jb20.&src=MAILCNSTUES00000A110628

LickTheLizzard
06-28-2011, 09:37 PM

did you have fun at the willy mo show tonight?

GuyInTucson
06-30-2011, 05:58 AM
did you have fun at the willy mo show tonight?

Not as much fun as I had at watching Zach Duke attempt to get his pitches all the way to the catcher as opposed to bouncing the ball in front of the plate.

LickTheLizzard
06-30-2011, 06:19 AM
zach duke is really awful. i was at the game on tueday night, that was a great game.

amyzzz
06-30-2011, 02:21 PM
Is anyone else hearing that the power is out in all of Mesa? We're getting some tech calls here about it, and I'm currently working in Phoenix.

edit: here's a story: http://www.kpho.com/story/15006966/transformer-sparks-flames-smoke-in-mesa

LickTheLizzard
06-30-2011, 02:39 PM
soooo many phone calls about the power outage. CALL THE DEPARTMENT THAT HANDLES YOUR POWER!

amyzzz
06-30-2011, 02:40 PM
...and my kids' daycare called to have my kids picked up. The power's out there, and it is right next to my neighborhood. :/ Ugh. My poor kids and dogs are suffering in the heat.

M Sparks
06-30-2011, 02:41 PM
I had a power glitch earlier today, wonder if it was related?

And why are they calling your company, Amy?

amyzzz
06-30-2011, 02:44 PM
Our field techs were calling to push out orders to tomorrow because the power is out. Not customers.

amyzzz
06-30-2011, 07:50 PM
My power is still out so we're at Five Guys getting burgers. :/

GuyInTucson
07-01-2011, 06:45 AM
How is Five Guys? I keep hearing mixed reviews and they just put one not too far from my house here. I'm interested in trying it. I am guessing it's good, but nothing spectacular.

LickTheLizzard
07-01-2011, 06:46 AM
soooo good.

definitely worth checking out.

TomAz
07-01-2011, 07:29 AM
I am a Five Guys fan as well.

amyzzz
07-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Five Guys is pretty good. Rather expensive though. In and Out is cheaper and still good.

NachoCat
07-01-2011, 09:48 AM
Five guys = Five stars

downingthief
07-01-2011, 09:48 AM
Never been to five guys.

Had the best turkey burger in town yesterday at DeLux. Soooo insanely good. Not cheap for sure, but they don't scrimp on the good stuff.

amyzzz
07-01-2011, 09:51 AM
I shall have to try that. I've not had any turkey burgers that were any good.

NachoCat
07-01-2011, 09:52 AM
Never been to five guys.

Had the best turkey burger in town yesterday at DeLux. Soooo insanely good. Not cheap for sure, but they don't scrimp on the good stuff.

Delux is awesome. The sweet potato fries come out in a mini shopping cart and they give you this sauce with them that has to be made from panda tears or something. DELICIOUS

amyzzz
07-01-2011, 09:54 AM
OH YEAH! That's the place I went to with Ivy, Bryan, and John (and my kids). Cute shopping carts. haha panda tears.

downingthief
07-01-2011, 09:54 AM
Delux is awesome. The sweet potato fries come out in a mini shopping cart and they give you this sauce with them that has to be made from panda tears or something. DELICIOUS

Yeah, their fries are also delic. Excellent beer selection, too. They have their full menu till 2am, as well...nice spot to hit late.

downingthief
07-01-2011, 09:55 AM
OH YEAH! That's the place I went to with Ivy, Bryan, and John (and my kids). Cute shopping carts. haha panda tears.

Oh, that's right! I got there after you had left, I think.

M Sparks
07-01-2011, 10:22 AM
I'm a Five Guys fan, but not the fries. Can't beat the burgers though, at least not for under $7.

There's one right next to my office, that I try to forget about lest I start eating there all the time. I've managed to keep it down to once every 3 or 4 months.

Mr. Dylanja
07-01-2011, 10:25 AM
Has anybody been to Smashburger? Sounds similar to Five Guys.

Anybody been to both? Which is better?

LickTheLizzard
07-01-2011, 10:45 AM
I'm a Five Guys fan, but not the fries. Can't beat the burgers though, at least not for under $7.

There's one right next to my office, that I try to forget about lest I start eating there all the time. I've managed to keep it down to once every 3 or 4 months.

i agree, i'm really not a fan of their fries.

amyzzz
07-01-2011, 11:09 AM
I love the fries.

Gribbz
07-01-2011, 11:10 AM
Where's the best place to get a burger in the valley? Please don't say "Five Guys" or "In N Out."

amyzzz
07-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Well, no, because we already said that.

Gribbz
07-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Nobody said that "Five Guys" was the best in the Valley. People have just said they enjoy their burgers.

locachica73
07-01-2011, 11:17 AM
I like Yard House for a good burger, I also still love Red Robin. I have also heard really good things about Red Onion Lounge (Cave Creek & Thunderbird) but have yet to try it.

Mr. Dylanja
07-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Delux Burger FTW. I think we might've gone over this in my restaurant thread.

downingthief
07-01-2011, 11:22 AM
Delux Burger FTW. I think we might've gone over this in my restaurant thread.

I second

locachica73
07-01-2011, 11:34 AM
I just checked the Delux Burger menu and now I want to try it, although I don't know I would order a burger, that mahi mahi sandwich looks delicious.

delux hot dog 7.5
our all natural niman ranch hot dog (with no by-products, artificial
flavors or colors). served with fries and your choice of condiments:
spicy-sweet beaver, dijon or yellow mustard, sauerkraut, relish,
chopped white onions, ketchup and celery salt

WTF is spicy-sweet beaver?

westcoastpirate
07-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Has anybody been to Smashburger? Sounds similar to Five Guys.

Anybody been to both? Which is better?

Smashburger>>>>>Five Guys

I've been to both, Smashburger is way better imo. Five Guys is good, but not great.

Delux is bomb, but I heard Zinburger gives it a run for it's money. I haven't been to Zinburger yet.

downingthief
07-01-2011, 03:26 PM
Zin is good too, but I like Delux better.

Any Happy Hour action anywhere? Anyone?

NachoCat
07-05-2011, 06:58 PM
The haboob is upon us !

ramblinon
07-05-2011, 07:02 PM
I do NOT miss those.

M Sparks
07-05-2011, 09:57 PM
Smashburger>>>>>Five Guys

I've been to both, Smashburger is way better imo. Five Guys is good, but not great.

Yup, Smashburger is crazy good AND they have Sweet Potato Fries as opposed to just handing you a large sack of potatoes like 5 Guys.

Timestretch
07-06-2011, 03:42 AM
Smashburger olive oil and rosemary fries are also awesome. The burger is a good fast food burger, but it's not great.

I'm still trying out places and have not found anything I really like in Phx. Deluxe > Zin - I don't like tje wheat bun.

TomAz
07-06-2011, 12:27 PM
The air today is about as disgusting as I have ever seen it. Is it dust left over from last night? what? (I'm in north Scottsdale).

Last night's dust storm was also quite odd. It blew in, huge, but pretty normal.. wind and dirt, right? with a few drops of rain to make everything gross. but then the wind quit, but the dust was still there. just sitting there. hanging there. Like this thick heavy fog, except it was dust. it was really bizarre. and now this shit in the air today. damn.

locachica73
07-06-2011, 12:39 PM
I missed the entire thing but people can't stop talking about it. I even have people from out of state commenting about the "haboob"? I should really open my blinds more often.

NachoCat
07-06-2011, 01:23 PM
I missed the entire thing but people can't stop talking about it. I even have people from out of state commenting about the "haboob"? I should really open my blinds more often.

Basically everything you need to know about last night ....

PSYxT9GM0fQ

No but seriously, this one is kinda cool.

8vQMuwRjI6s

westcoastpirate
07-06-2011, 02:24 PM
The air today is about as disgusting as I have ever seen it. Is it dust left over from last night? what? (I'm in north Scottsdale).

Last night's dust storm was also quite odd. It blew in, huge, but pretty normal.. wind and dirt, right? with a few drops of rain to make everything gross. but then the wind quit, but the dust was still there. just sitting there. hanging there. Like this thick heavy fog, except it was dust. it was really bizarre. and now this shit in the air today. damn.

I've lived my whole life in the Phoenix area and that was the craziest dust storm I can remember. It was insanity at our house in Ahwatukee. We park our cars in the garage and there was still a layer of dust on them.

The story was on cnn.com's homepage this morning.

Timestretch
07-06-2011, 05:59 PM
Not a good day to own a pool w/o a cover

insbordnat
07-06-2011, 08:15 PM
WTF is spicy-sweet beaver?

It's a sweet-hot mustard made by Beaver (if that's what they are referring to).

I was not impressed by Smashburger. They fucked up my order each time I've been and it was relatively overpriced.

Zinburger is not bad. Not a fan of Five Guys. Delux is one of my favorites.

Anybody try Lucky Boy burgers on Osborn and 16th? I've heard nothing but good things (as far as greasy fast-food style burgers go).

downingthief
07-06-2011, 09:53 PM
I've lived my whole life in the Phoenix area and that was the craziest dust storm I can remember. It was insanity at our house in Ahwatukee. We park our cars in the garage and there was still a layer of dust on them.

I concur. I can't recall anything like that. My patio is covered in dust, and my car was a completely different color this morning.

Mr. Dylanja
07-06-2011, 10:09 PM
http://www.scottwoodphotography.com/Weather/2011StormChasing/15913598_nN77g#1370278891_RDCLM67-A-LB

westcoastpirate
07-07-2011, 07:25 AM
It's a sweet-hot mustard made by Beaver (if that's what they are referring to).

I was not impressed by Smashburger. They fucked up my order each time I've been and it was relatively overpriced.

Zinburger is not bad. Not a fan of Five Guys. Delux is one of my favorites.

Anybody try Lucky Boy burgers on Osborn and 16th? I've heard nothing but good things (as far as greasy fast-food style burgers go).

There's also the Habit Burger Grill, which I haven't tried but I heard is really good. They just opened up a location at McClintock and Guadalupe, and are opening up another one at 7th St and Glendale soon.

EDIT, I need to start posting this in the thread below:

http://coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42505

Timestretch
07-07-2011, 12:29 PM
I was just on my way to try Habit but couldn't pass up Nellos. So now I'm waiting for a pizza.

westcoastpirate
07-07-2011, 12:37 PM
I was just on my way to try Habit but couldn't pass up Nellos. So now I'm waiting for a pizza.

The Clasic European at the Nello's at 48th St and Warner may be my favorite pizza.

I just got done with lunch at Cibo, and I need to post this in the Dylan Restaurant thread dammit....

ramblinon
07-07-2011, 02:38 PM
Just what every father bringing his son to go see his heroes wants to see...a chain gang.

http://www.fox11az.com/news/local/125140024.html

PHOENIX (AP) Fans entering Chase Field for the Major League Baseball All Star Game will get to see one of Sheriff Joe Arpaio's chain gangs picking up trash.

The Arizona Republic reports a group of inmates from the sheriff's holding area for suspected illegal immigrants will be on the chain gang with drunken driving offenders. All will be chained together and decked out in their striped jail uniforms.

Arpaio says it's his way of sending a message about the perils of drunken driving.

The sheriff has sent similar messages before, placing DUI chain gangs along Glendale Avenue during the last Super Bowl.

=================================================

Really, can anyone just go and murder him already? Please?

amyzzz
07-07-2011, 02:42 PM
That's the least of his offense IMO. Fuck him though.

ramblinon
07-07-2011, 03:02 PM
That's the least of his offense IMO. Fuck him though.

So you're from the insane part of AZ...? Where is that? Is there even a sane part, other than maybe Flag?