PDA

View Full Version : The Phoenix Thread!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88

TomAz
05-19-2008, 11:08 AM
sorry. I seem to have the hiccups. Never mind me.

chairmenmeow47
05-19-2008, 11:13 AM
sorry. I seem to have the hiccups. Never mind me.

i just hope no one has tried to push their remedies on you. that is the most annoying part of having the hiccups.

TomAz
05-19-2008, 11:45 AM
we might make history today..

A STRONG AREA OF HIGH PRESSURE ALOFT WILL MAKE FOR UNSEASONABLY HOT TEMPERATURES THE FIRST COUPLE OF DAYS THIS WEEK...WITH AFTERNOON HIGH TEMPERATURES FROM 15 TO 20 DEGREES ABOVE NORMAL. IN FACT...IF THE OFFICIAL HIGH TEMPERATURE AT PHOENIX SKY HARBOR REACHES THE PREDICTED HIGH OF 110 DEGREES TODAY /MONDAY/...IT WILL MARK THE FIRST TIME IN RECORDED HISTORY THAT THE INITIAL 100 DEGREE HIGH TEMPERATURE OF THE SEASON WAS IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWED THE NEXT DAY BY THE FIRST 110 DEGREE READING.

downingthief
05-19-2008, 11:48 AM
we might make history today..

Not the kind of history we want, that is for sure.

The craziest thing is that it is supposed to be in the 80's later in the week.

captncrzy
05-19-2008, 11:49 AM
Global warming.

amyzzz
05-19-2008, 11:53 AM
In more positive news, traffic seems lighter...for me anyway. Damn snowbirds left maybe.

TomAz
05-19-2008, 11:53 AM
Global warming monday and tuesday, followed by global cooling and catastrophic floods later in the week.

Vic Viper
05-19-2008, 12:39 PM
Watch the weather change.....

Meanwhile its still ICE cold in at my desk. I love the 100+ degree temps thawing me out on the way home.

faxman75
05-21-2008, 08:10 AM
I'm going to check this out tonight.

www.millaveinc.com.

A documentary about how Mill Ave. has slowly been taken over by corporations. Sad. Mill was a huge draw for me moving to AZ back in 2000. Loved Long Wongs, Beloes and many others. From what I can tell it's a one night showing.

captncrzy
05-21-2008, 08:39 AM
That sounds interesting, especially since I work on Mill Ave and get to see all the corporate chain bullshit that is going on here every day. Gone are the small independent shops and bars (Long Wongs, Gibson's, Club UM, Edcels Attic, that funky used underground clothing store, etc.) Now it's all My Big Fat Greek Bullshit and Urban Crapfitters and PF Sucks.

faxman75
05-21-2008, 08:43 AM
Yep, i'm really interested. Mill was quite the cultural center, heart of the college town. It was vibrant and full of life and differences and music and art. I'm heading down there after work despite my weak ass cold. Apparently there will be some music before hand. I thought the Valley Art was shutting down? I'm glad it's still open and a perfect place to see this flick. Should be interesting.

chairmenmeow47
05-21-2008, 09:20 AM
I'm going to check this out tonight.

www.millaveinc.com.

A documentary about how Mill Ave. has slowly been taken over by corporations. Sad. Mill was a huge draw for me moving to AZ back in 2000. Loved Long Wongs, Beloes and many others. From what I can tell it's a one night showing.

i miss long wongs! that was the only good long wongs ever!!!

yeah, back in the mid to late 90s i spent a LOT of time on mill. my voice teacher lived off hardy when i was a kid and my dad and i would go see movies or check out "duck soup" after my lessons.

i do miss some of the old shops, but i have to say i'm not all boo-hoo about it. i don't know if it's still this way since i don't go there much on friday and saturday evenings, but i didn't feel so safe walking around with my girls at night, especially at that jack in the box.

also, valley art was a cool historic theatre. i saw the original lon chaney phantom there with live piano. but man, was that theatre HOT. it needed rennovation.

there used to be tons of gutter punks there too. i remember randomly deciding to fly to san francisco on morning on a friday at like 6am and i walked to the bus off university. these gutter punks by the PF changs kept trying to give me a swig of the backwash that was left in the 40 bottle if i'd just give them money for a new beer. they would not leave me alone. most of the hippies were nice, but even some of them were pretty ruthless about wanting money from you.

i'm not saying i'm against local ownership, it's just that mill has evolved and as someone who has been a patron for many years, i don't think it's all for the bad. and while i'm not a big fan of the fake river, we have a beach park down there now, as well as new industry. we still have street fairs, monti's and the coffee plantation. starbucks is still at 420. some things change, some things stay the same. it's just the way it goes...

i would be interested to see the documentary though. just because a lot of my life was spent there!

downingthief
05-21-2008, 09:29 AM
Wow. Really want to see this. I "grew up" right in the middle of the boom times on Mill. Was such a cool place to be. From the bands to see, to the poetry readings at Changing Hands. Great times. Definitely miss it. Playing at Long Wong's was a huge highlight in my Mill playing days. Loved the vibe of that place; there was none like it.
Plus the wings were the best ever!

faxman75
05-21-2008, 09:41 AM
That wongs was wonderful. I spent a good 5 days a week there from 2002 right up until they shut down. I was at the farewell party too. Saw bands like The Elliots, Gloritone, Steve larson, Truckers on Speed, The Pistoleroes and so on and so forth, night after night getting drunk on that pattio, meeting new people and such. I'll take bumbs, skateboarders and drumb circle hippies over a corporate takeover any day of the week. It's culture, those are people who were hanging out. Instead you got trendy clubs and trendy stores now. Between the Boarders and the high rise condo's it's gone to crap.

I actually like hte fake lake. Nothing wrong with that. The whole tempe beach park is ok by me. I'm not sure what else I dig outside of Trails, Valley Art and Rula Bula. Either way, everyone should see this. I'm sure it's gonna bring back some memories.

TomAz
05-21-2008, 09:47 AM
LWs was a sucky place to go see bands alone though. it was so small it was hard to find a place to stand and be inauspicious.

downingthief
05-21-2008, 09:59 AM
Eh, I disagree. I loved seeing bands there, and playing. I loved that it was small. It was tough to get gear on the stage, and I always ended up standing on the floor. Didn't care, though.
The patrons were there to see bands. Not pick up somebody, or try to look cool.

downingthief
05-21-2008, 10:01 AM
That wongs was wonderful. I spent a good 5 days a week there from 2002 right up until they shut down. I was at the farewell party too. Saw bands like The Elliots, Gloritone, Steve larson, Truckers on Speed, The Pistoleroes and so on and so forth, night after night getting drunk on that pattio, meeting new people and such. I'll take bumbs, skateboarders and drumb circle hippies over a corporate takeover any day of the week. It's culture, those are people who were hanging out. Instead you got trendy clubs and trendy stores now. Between the Boarders and the high rise condo's it's gone to crap.

I actually like hte fake lake. Nothing wrong with that. The whole tempe beach park is ok by me. I'm not sure what else I dig outside of Trails, Valley Art and Rula Bula. Either way, everyone should see this. I'm sure it's gonna bring back some memories.

I used to work with Tim in Gloritone, back in the day. Great guy. One of the most talented musicians I have ever met, and one of the most humble.
He was part of some great bands prior to that...Soul Mines, and Dish (which later became Verona).

amyzzz
05-21-2008, 10:08 AM
Ivy, The Valley Art theatre was renovated several years back by Dan Harkins. I remember the ads touting his "1 million dollar renovation." I've been there to see Control and some other movie, and it's pretty nice now.

mountmccabe
05-21-2008, 10:17 AM
The doc sounds pretty interesting. I wonder if I can make it to Valley Art tonight. Hmmm.

chairmenmeow47
05-21-2008, 10:27 AM

i wrote a really long reply to this that got deleted :(

basically, asu has taken over the area. i mean the campus is completely different than it was 10 years ago. unfortunately that means that the kids want abercrombie and $50 tees from american apparell. there's demand for the trendy stores and clubs. there's demand from parents who don't want to send their kids to school in bumtown.

i'm not saying it's right that the "corporations won". i wish they could have revitalized the culture in a more legal and stable way. but i guess culture isn't profitable.

and amy, thanks :) i saw control there too, along with the good german when sean, john and i went to go see it. i was just saying it's a good thing it was reonnovated.

amyzzz
05-21-2008, 10:28 AM
ok, I misunderstood. or skimmed.

faxman75
05-21-2008, 10:53 AM
By the way Nick Scropolis from Gloritone now plays bass for Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers.

For those wondering (i'm assuming not many) the show this past weekend in Mexico bored the piss out of me and I left halfway through their 4.5 hour borefest. That show used to rock really hard and have some energetic fans. Roger always said he wanted a Jimmy Buffet crowd so apparently his latest music caters to them as they are a bunch of boring lazy bumbs.

I just ordered my ticket online for the movie tonight. Might grab a beer or two at Rula Bula after.

TomAz
05-21-2008, 10:59 AM
I used to work with Tim in Gloritone, back in the day. Great guy. One of the most talented musicians I have ever met, and one of the most humble.
He was part of some great bands prior to that...Soul Mines, and Dish (which later became Verona).

I remember Gloritone. They were pretty good. Are there any local bands of that caliber out there now? If there are I don't know them.

I should go see 10 Downing St. some time. I hear they kick ass.

By the way Nick Scropolis from Gloritone now plays bass for Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers.

For those wondering (i'm assuming not many) the show this past weekend in Mexico bored the piss out of me and I left halfway through their 4.5 hour borefest. That show used to rock really hard and have some energetic fans. Roger always said he wanted a Jimmy Buffet crowd so apparently his latest music caters to them as they are a bunch of boring lazy bumbs.

I just ordered my ticket online for the movie tonight. Might grab a beer or two at Rula Bula after.

I went to a Roger Clyne show once, years ago, over at Nita's (the "new" Nita's that failed when their A/C broke). I didn't know anything about him other than he'd been in the Refreshments and I thought they were ok. This was back before I'd given up on the local band scene. I was amazed at his fan base. Everybody knew all the words to all the song and were shouting them out the whole show. Musically it was a little slicker than what I go for but it was ok. Not great, but ok.

faxman75
05-21-2008, 11:10 AM
Yeah that was probablay when they rocked Tom. I loved Nick in Gloritone but since he has joined the Peacemakers, everything has gotten relaxed and Roger has been writing piss poor songs. That energy and enthusiasm you witnessed from the crowd no longer exists. Game over. This from someone who was really way into them. It was kind of a history thing. I liked them back when I lived in chicago and saw them a couple of times, then the song "I don't wanna know" was sort of the inspiration to move out to AZ and then I pretty much created an entire social network with other fans as they started to get popular on the indie level. They do nothing for me know but i'm still greatful for the years of kick ass music.

captncrzy
05-21-2008, 11:15 AM
Wow. Really want to see this. I "grew up" right in the middle of the boom times on Mill. Was such a cool place to be. From the bands to see, to the poetry readings at Changing Hands. Great times. Definitely miss it. Playing at Long Wong's was a huge highlight in my Mill playing days. Loved the vibe of that place; there was none like it.
Plus the wings were the best ever!

FYI-Changing Hands closed in the last couple of weeks.

I went to a Roger Clyne show once, years ago, over at Nita's (the "new" Nita's that failed when their A/C broke). I didn't know anything about him other than he'd been in the Refreshments and I thought they were ok. This was back before I'd given up on the local band scene. I was amazed at his fan base. Everybody knew all the words to all the song and were shouting them out the whole show. Musically it was a little slicker than what I go for but it was ok. Not great, but ok.

He still plays around town. His son goes to school with my niece, so I've seen him at a couple of school concerts. Still rockin the long hair and such. It's kinda sad, actually. Was just never able to really break through.

mountmccabe
05-21-2008, 02:01 PM

I am still unsure but I am leaning towards getting out of the house tonight. If I go please feel free to come up and say hi. I'd be all for getting a beer afterward. If I make it I'll be wearing a black Jesu shirt.

Same goes for anyone else that makes it, eh.

mountmccabe
05-21-2008, 02:02 PM
I mean that anyone else that makes it will be wearing a Jesu shirt, not that they/y'all should say hi. I'll talk to faxman only!

mountmccabe
05-21-2008, 02:05 PM
I am quite eager to bike home with this great wind, can you tell?

faxman75
05-21-2008, 03:11 PM
I have no clue what a Jesu shirt is. I'll be the guy dressed in walmart fashions that generally clash. I'm chubby, my face looks like the avatar and I seriously dress like a retard. I'm wearing a white polo shirt, khaki work pants and a pair of Nike tennis shoes. Should be there about 7:30. I think i'm gonna set up at a net cafe prior to that. Probably Gold Bar at Southern and McClintock.

Next weekend i'm moving to 46th st. and baseline into some aparments. Brookstone or some shit. Wish me luck.

chairmenmeow47
05-21-2008, 03:48 PM
Next weekend i'm moving to 46th st. and baseline into some aparments. Brookstone or some shit. Wish me luck.

goodluck! you're going to be kinda close to my work :)

do the religious freaks still hang out on mill? i used to love fucking with them. my roommate and i went to get fishnets from the fascinations on mill a few years ago and the religious nuts were giving us dirty looks on our way in. so we held hands on the way out, lol.

mountmccabe
05-21-2008, 04:42 PM
I have no clue what a Jesu shirt is. I'll be the guy dressed in walmart fashions that generally clash. I'm chubby, my face looks like the avatar and I seriously dress like a retard. I'm wearing a white polo shirt, khaki work pants and a pair of Nike tennis shoes. Should be there about 7:30. I think i'm gonna set up at a net cafe prior to that. Probably Gold Bar at Southern and McClintock.

I don't understand, doesn't the movie start at 7? Or are there other festivities that begin at that time? Hmm. That website does not have much info. And the Harkins website has none.

Jesu are a band.

faxman75
05-21-2008, 05:00 PM
Interesting. I thought I read arrive at 7:30 for 8pm start. I'm leaving goldbar now for chueys for dinner and then heading over there with a friend.

denies the day
05-21-2008, 07:56 PM
Ahem, downtown Phoenix rules.

quicksand
05-21-2008, 10:07 PM
have not been keeping up with this thread at all, but in case they haven't been posted, there's some really good Modified shows in June.

June 4 - Annuals (daytime)
June 4 - 65DaysOfStatic (night time)
June 9 - Frog Eyes
June 10 - Joan of Arc
June 13 - Crystal Castles

WHO'S DOWN

mountmccabe
05-21-2008, 10:16 PM
Ladyhawk and Neva Dinova are playing there next Tuesday. I hope to be at that.

I might make it to Frog Eyes. Depends on how many other shows I make it to between now and then.

No Age are playing on June 28th, I'm excited for that one.

faxman75
05-22-2008, 07:09 AM
Nice meeting you last night John. The sound in the place was awful. I have heard better in a high school auditorium. There was some crazy chick dancing and a few bands played a couple songs each and they mostly were boring except the final song that was a duet by Josh Kennedy and PC covering a Doug Hopkins song. It was a big doug hopkins/robin wilson love fest. The Long Wongs stuff was fantastic. The editing was putting me into a seizure though. It was pretty bad but I enjoyed the content. I liked listening to Walt Richardson tell stories and seeing Sara Cina the owner of long wongs stand in that empty lot was really depressing. Basically I loved the content of the film but the packaging and production was poor.

faxman75
05-22-2008, 07:11 AM
Oh and I forgot that Robin Wilson called the presenter for the evening on his cell phone and we got to listen to some inane conversation over speakerphone in a movie theater where this guy and Robin talked about god knows what. I almost started booing.

captncrzy
05-22-2008, 07:16 AM
have not been keeping up with this thread at all, but in case they haven't been posted, there's some really good Modified shows in June.

June 4 - Annuals (daytime)
June 4 - 65DaysOfStatic (night time)
June 9 - Frog Eyes
June 10 - Joan of Arc
June 13 - Crystal Castles

WHO'S DOWN

Weird....65Days must be running over to Modified after opening for the Cure to play another show.

TomAz
05-22-2008, 09:54 AM
Doug Hopkins reminded me of Rich Hopkins and I got to wondering are the Sand Rubies still playing? I know I saw them a few years ago. I was a big fan back in the late 80s. -- and I didnt' even live in Arizona then

mountmccabe
05-22-2008, 11:36 AM
The Sand Rubies still play every once in a while.

And yeah, nice to meet you too, Mark. And you're pretty spot on about the film. I found it interesting but it probably wasn't well done enough to be that worthwhile for non-locals.

TomAz
05-22-2008, 01:22 PM
hey are any of you people going to see Elvis Costello this weekend?

Vic Viper
05-22-2008, 03:15 PM
Just want to say I stare out a window from my desk, and listening to Mellon Collie and Infinite Sadness all day on repeat has been an EXCELLENT companion to our awesome weather today.

chairmenmeow47
05-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Just want to say I stare out a window from my desk, and listening to Mellon Collie and Infinite Sadness all day on repeat has been an EXCELLENT companion to our awesome weather today.

the weather has been AMAZING! i love today!!!

TomAz
05-22-2008, 03:43 PM
it's 67 degrees in PHX right now. 48 hours ago it was 40 degrees higher. this is the most bizarre weather i think i've seen in 12 years living here.

TomAz
05-23-2008, 05:17 PM
WTF?????

Green Day is playing the Brickhouse on Sunday?

that's going to be a fucking mess. wow

mountmccabe
05-23-2008, 07:19 PM
It's a Green Day side project. That is actually Green Day, I think. I have no idea.

TomAz
05-23-2008, 08:05 PM
right. that's my understanding too. but still. tix on sale only night of show. queue at noon. gonna be fucking bonkers.

meanwhile John you should go to Elvis Costello. some other band is playing too.

mountmccabe
05-23-2008, 08:26 PM
I would like to but I am seeing Colorstore instead and even lawn tickets are something like $55.

TomAz
05-24-2008, 06:15 AM
i suppose he falls under your dinosaur rule

mountmccabe
05-24-2008, 10:51 AM
No, that show falls under my "i could go to this show or 5 others" rule.

I'd love to see Elvis and I'd like to see the Police but I'm not paying $55 or whatever for a lawn ticket and I'm not paying double that for a decent seat (sec 202, row VV.)

mountmccabe
05-24-2008, 10:53 AM
Though, to be fair, maybe hugely inflated ticket prices are an integral part of the dinosaur rule.

TomAz
05-24-2008, 03:16 PM
well now i don't think i'll go either. i've been sanding and texturing and painting drywall all afternoon and the thought of driving all the way out to cricket, paying a bunch of money, sitting way back, and then leaving before the Police come on is not doing it for me tonight.

captncrzy
05-25-2008, 10:06 PM
Hey is anyone going to Peter Murphy? I'm thinking about going but don't want to go alone.

chairmenmeow47
05-28-2008, 01:39 PM
is anyone going to death cab at mesa amphitheatre on june 19th?

i just got talked into going by a recently dumped co-worker. i wish i'd said no, i'm bad at that.

what about erykah badu and the roots? my roommate and i are going for her birthday. i think it's the 14th.

Mr. Dylanja
05-28-2008, 02:05 PM
When/where is Peter Murphy?

I'm 99% sure I'm going to The Roots...

downingthief
05-28-2008, 02:13 PM
is anyone going to death cab at mesa amphitheatre on june 19th?

i just got talked into going by a recently dumped co-worker. i wish i'd said no, i'm bad at that.

what about erykah badu and the roots? my roommate and i are going for her birthday. i think it's the 14th.

Yes, Ivy! I will be there, along with a small group of people.

amyzzz
I might be going to dcfc. I don't have tickets yet. I'd be taking my kid (or kids).

downingthief
When/where is Peter Murphy?

I'm 99% sure I'm going to The Roots...

Wow...did not hear about that show. Where is PM playing? Seen him twice, and has not disappointed.

downingthief
05-28-2008, 02:15 PM
I went to the Elvis/Polcie show on Saturday. Had a blast. Elvis sounded AMAZING. Really. Wished he could have played longer.

I'm a huge Police fan, so I enjoyed their set too.
Got to go for free too! Free drinks all night...yes, I had a good time. :)

amyzzz
05-28-2008, 02:23 PM
I'd go to that for free. Also, if someone gave me a ride.

TomAz
05-28-2008, 02:40 PM
I went to the Elvis/Polcie show on Saturday. Had a blast. Elvis sounded AMAZING. Really. Wished he could have played longer.

I'm a huge Police fan, so I enjoyed their set too.
Got to go for free too! Free drinks all night...yes, I had a good time. :)

This raises a few questions:

1. Do you have/can you recall Elvis' setlist?

2. How'd you swing going for free?

2a. How come you didn't get me in for free?

artisticcreator
05-28-2008, 03:05 PM
The Police and Elvis were awesome! It was a great show! I haven't sang along to so many Police songs in years. Not since my now 27 year old son use to stand up out of my son roof and sing along with me and a blasting stereo when he was just 12 or so.

Now to go see Tiesto at the Marquee. Can't decide if I should spend the money on seeing him a 5th time! Decisions! Decisions! Unfortunately all my friends are still recovering from the financial extremes of Coachella and all the partying there!

downingthief
05-28-2008, 03:13 PM
This raises a few questions:

1. Do you have/can you recall Elvis' setlist?

2. How'd you swing going for free?

2a. How come you didn't get me in for free?

Set list

To my best recolection, and some Internet help, this is what I remember (order is not exact):

Stella Hurt
Pump It Up
Everyday I Write the Book
American Gangster Time
Less Than Zero
Flutter & Wow
No Hiding Place
Turpentine
Watching the Detectives
Alison
Go Away
(What’s So Funny About) Peace, Love and Understanding

Sting came out and sang with him on Alison. That was definitely cool. Played a decent amount of new material.

Got in for free through a Manufacturer rep. One of the perks of the job. He has "box" seats at Cricket, so we get drinks all night. Hung out in the VIP area prior, too. They set up food there, etc.

I couldn't get my wife in, but you were definitely my second choice, Tom. :p

chairmenmeow47
05-28-2008, 03:57 PM
The Police and Elvis were awesome! It was a great show! I haven't sang along to so many Police songs in years. Not since my now 27 year old son use to stand up out of my son roof and sing along with me and a blasting stereo when he was just 12 or so.

Now to go see Tiesto at the Marquee. Can't decide if I should spend the money on seeing him a 5th time! Decisions! Decisions! Unfortunately all my friends are still recovering from the financial extremes of Coachella and all the partying there!

spending money to see tiesto is never a good decision =P

and sean, are you going to death cab, badu or both? either way we should meet up and have a beer. early of course before mormon drinking curfew hits at like 9...

mountmccabe
05-28-2008, 04:17 PM
Wow...did not hear about that show. Where is PM playing? Seen him twice, and has not disappointed.

Peter Murphy is playing at the Marquee on Monday, June 9th. Tickets are $25.

amyzzz
05-28-2008, 05:05 PM
Heck, just reading about Tiesto coming to town gave me some suicide tuesday e-depression backlash.

downingthief
05-28-2008, 07:36 PM
spending money to see tiesto is never a good decision =P

and sean, are you going to death cab, badu or both? either way we should meet up and have a beer. early of course before mormon drinking curfew hits at like 9...

Death Cab, and that is a definite on the beer. We will all be meeting someplace prior to the show as well. Not sure where yet.

downingthief
05-28-2008, 07:37 PM
Peter Murphy is playing at the Marquee on Monday, June 9th. Tickets are $25.

Man, that is going to be a tough one for me. Mondays are a killer.

Definitely recommend anyone seeing him who has not already.

chairmenmeow47
05-28-2008, 09:31 PM
Death Cab, and that is a definite on the beer. We will all be meeting someplace prior to the show as well. Not sure where yet.

well i'm in the northwest part of mormonesa, just 5 minutes from the theatre. definitely let me know!!!

captncrzy
05-29-2008, 08:17 AM
John, are you going to PM? I can meet you down there.

mountmccabe
05-29-2008, 11:46 AM
I am still undecided on the Peter Murphy show. Sean's praise is pushing me towards yes. I have not seen him other than with Bauhaus at Coachella and even then I only saw 4 songs.

I should check what sort of setlist he plays. I have several of his albums but they are old and I don't know how much else he has put out.

amyzzz
05-29-2008, 11:51 AM
I've seen Peter Murphy live solo waaaaaaaay back in the 90's and also saw him with Bauhaus twice, and he is definitely a good performer, but I really don't know a lot of his songs--don't own an album, only heard his music on 90's alternative radio. Some good stuff though. He does have an incredible voice. I used to like this local band whose singer sounded exactly like him.

(but that's a no for me)

mountmccabe
05-29-2008, 12:05 PM
If I had a reasonable reason to believe he was going to cover "Final Solution" I would go.

amyzzz
05-29-2008, 12:10 PM
The more I think about it, the more I want to go see Peter Murphy and The Cure. I shouldn't think about it.

downingthief
05-29-2008, 12:23 PM
I am still undecided on the Peter Murphy show. Sean's praise is pushing me towards yes. I have not seen him other than with Bauhaus at Coachella and even then I only saw 4 songs.

I should check what sort of setlist he plays. I have several of his albums but they are old and I don't know how much else he has put out.

According to reports I have read, he will do some solo and Bauhaus tunes. The two times I have seen him, he only did solo songs.
It is being called a "retrospective" tour. Whatever that means.
No set lists yet. Tour kicks off tomorrow.

First time I saw him was on the "Deep" tour at Mesa Amp. Show was cut short due to torrential rain. Turned out to be one of the best concert experiences I have had. Vibe of the show was amazing, and his performance was electric.

Second time was at the Nile, on his Greatest Hits tour (2000, I think?). He has a great presence on stage. Very unique, and spontaneous.

TomAz
05-29-2008, 12:25 PM
Show was cut short due to torrential rain. Turned out to be one of the best concert experiences I have had.

yeah I don't much care for Bauhaus either.

amyzzz
05-29-2008, 12:26 PM
I saw him at some radio station festival on July 4th sometime in the 90's. I think Machines of Loving Grace also played but I don't remember who else. Cracker maybe?

downingthief
05-29-2008, 12:26 PM
Now, now. Bauhaus will always have a place in my musical heart, Tom.

downingthief
05-29-2008, 12:27 PM
I saw him at some radio station festival on July 4th sometime in the 90's. I think Machines of Loving Grace also played but I don't remember who else. Cracker maybe?

I think that was at one of the Q fests. After Holy Smoke came out.

TomAz
05-29-2008, 12:29 PM
Now, now. Bauhaus will always have a place in my musical heart, Tom.

Yes, I'm sure, I was just amused by the way you phrased it.

But more importantly: what occupies the special places in your musical stomach, especially at breakfast time?

jazzz
05-29-2008, 04:29 PM
If I had a reasonable reason to believe he was going to cover "Final Solution" I would go.

He always plays Final Solution. I've seen Peter Murphy probaly 15 times and it's always top! Don't miss him.

Blinken
05-29-2008, 05:06 PM
So this dude in Phoenix was hit by 20 to 40 cars on I 10.

http://www.kpho.com/news/16423615/detail.html

denies the day
05-29-2008, 07:46 PM
Holy smokes, that's nuts.

Same thing happened on the 17 about two years ago. If I recall correctly, the victim was identified to be homeless and had a history of mental issues. Tragic.

chairmenmeow47
05-29-2008, 10:00 PM
some chick was on after lost talking about this. bananas. what was more bananas is she wasn't very upset and her name was "laughing". what a weird story.

i also hate that abc news anchor, he reminds me of the news anchor in idiocracy, only with a shirt.

TomAz
05-30-2008, 09:35 AM
kathump

kathump kathump kathump

kathump kathump kathump kathump kathump

kathumpkathumpkathumpkathumpkathumpkathumpkathumpk athumpkathumpkathumpkathumpkathumpkathumpkathumpka thump

kathumpkathumpkathumpkathumpkathumpkathumpkathumpk athumpkathumpkathumpkathumpkathumpkathumpkathumpka thumpkathumpkathumpkathumpkathumpkathumpkathumpkat humpkathumpkathumpkathumpkathumpkathumpkathumpkath ump

Xenocide
05-30-2008, 09:47 AM
Thou shalt spell the word "Pheonix"

P-H-E-O-N-I-X.

Not, P-H-O-E-N-I-X, regardless of what the Oxford English Dictionary tells you.

locachica73
05-30-2008, 09:48 AM
one of the guys i work with was actually one of the 20-40 cars, he is pretty torn up. i cant even imagine. ugh

captncrzy
05-30-2008, 10:04 AM
ew. that must suck. did he say if he saw parts a flyin'?

thelastgreatman
05-30-2008, 11:26 AM
So this dude in Phoenix was hit by 20 to 40 cars on I 10.

http://www.kpho.com/news/16423615/detail.html

I thought this was funny just from your description, then when I read the first line of the article I fucking died:

PHOENIX -- A man walking on Interstate 10 seeking help during the morning rush-hour commute was struck multiple times and died a "horrific" death, Arizona Department of Public Safety officers said on Thursday.

Horrific huh? No shit.

amyzzz
05-30-2008, 11:30 AM

P-H-E-O-N-I-X.

Yeah, someone already said that. Stay the fuck out.

TomAz
05-30-2008, 11:37 AM

P-H-E-O-N-I-X.

Thou shalt shut the fuck up, philistine.

Mr. Dylanja
05-30-2008, 12:17 PM
kathump

kathump kathump kathump

kathump kathump kathump kathump kathump

kathumpkathumpkathumpkathumpkathumpkathumpkathumpk athumpkathumpkathumpkathumpkathumpkathumpkathumpka thump

kathumpkathumpkathumpkathumpkathumpkathumpkathumpk athumpkathumpkathumpkathumpkathumpkathumpkathumpka thumpkathumpkathumpkathumpkathumpkathumpkathumpkat humpkathumpkathumpkathumpkathumpkathumpkathumpkath ump

Congratulations Tom! Your ticket to hell has been upgraded to FIRST CLASS!!

TomAz
05-30-2008, 12:19 PM
thank god. I can't stand flying coach.

thelastgreatman
05-30-2008, 12:22 PM
"What the hell is--"

THUNK

"..."

"..."

"... so--"

"Just keep going and shut up."

Mr. Dylanja
05-30-2008, 03:41 PM
thank god. I can't stand flying coach.

This ticket is one-way and non-refundable. Thank you for flying Eternally Damned Airlines!

denies the day
06-02-2008, 12:34 AM
I've decided against seeing the Cure this Wednesday at the Dodge, so I'm selling both of my tickets. Thought I'd offer them to anyone here before I post them on craigslist.

Section 202 Row 5 Seats 4 & 5

They were almost $130 after the raping. I'll take $100 for both.

This doesn't make me a scalper, does it?

chairmenmeow47
06-02-2008, 09:25 AM
was anyone else at the dieselboy show in tucson? that place was crazy packed. i liked how they had the 21+ area going all the way up to the stage, though i never made it that close. i had a BLAST though!!!

Somewhat Damaged
06-02-2008, 11:22 AM
I was planning on going to that but I thought you said it was on the 31st. I was supposed to meet up with a friend there and she texted me at midnight asking where I was. I replied, "I thought the show was tomorrow?" I had spaced on getting advance tickets, too, and she said they stopped letting people in. She said it was lots of fun as well. Drats. Next time.

sddoctor
06-02-2008, 11:28 AM
Hot Chip w/ Vampire Weekend in September in Tucson. Should be a good show.

chairmenmeow47
06-02-2008, 11:37 AM
I was planning on going to that but I thought you said it was on the 31st. I was supposed to meet up with a friend there and she texted me at midnight asking where I was. I replied, "I thought the show was tomorrow?" I had spaced on getting advance tickets, too, and she said they stopped letting people in. She said it was lots of fun as well. Drats. Next time.

awww man, sorry to hear that! i don't think i said any date, should have been more clear i guess. there was a line out the door when we got there. i had to take one of the fastest showers ever while my friend waited in line and she barely moved.

luckily a friend had put me on the list and even more luckily the door girl happened to recognize me from parties and stopped us from paying. pays to wear pigtails :)

the place was as packed as i'd ever seen it. i never got to fully dance. it was like "freak dancing room only" in there, lol. thankfully the guy behind me was cute :x

chairmenmeow47
06-03-2008, 10:23 AM
this weekend my friend gordon and i saw the light rail being tested on washington.

http://ivy.aholic.us/gallery/d/643554-1/037+26+birthday+GKB.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=c61e0a4eaf9e d069112499107accdc58

anyone else seen any tests?

and does anyone know if it's possible to buy tickets at the mesa amphitheatre box office? (is there a box office?)

faxman75
06-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Holy shizzle! No I hadn't seen any tests yet. I just moved to 44th St. and Baseline and I work downtown so it won't be benefiting me. I got drunk last night at Last Exit. That was fucking fun.

chairmenmeow47
06-03-2008, 10:39 AM
Holy shizzle! No I hadn't seen any tests yet. I just moved to 44th St. and Baseline and I work downtown so it won't be benefiting me. I got drunk last night at Last Exit. That was fucking fun.

where's last exit, is it a bar or club or something?

we live close to the "end of the line" in mesa. when we were driving to macayo's depot cantina for my birthday dinner, i kept thinking how cool it would have been to just take the rail there. it will benefit me more in "cart my drunk ass around" sense than anything practical.

faxman75
06-03-2008, 10:42 AM
Last Exit is at Southern and Priest in the REI shopping center next to the school of massage therapy. A friends of mine is a karaoke DJ there now on Mondays and we get drunk and sing and spend half the time on the patio drinking and bullshitting. They get most of the local straight ahead rock talent on the weekends. It's basically a cool little dive bar.

downingthief
06-03-2008, 10:54 AM
Last Exit is a cool place. Has a vibe similar to the old days of Tempe. Good place to play music.

downingthief
06-03-2008, 10:55 AM
this weekend my friend gordon and i saw the light rail being tested on washington.

http://ivy.aholic.us/gallery/d/643554-1/037+26+birthday+GKB.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=c61e0a4eaf9e d069112499107accdc58

and does anyone know if it's possible to buy tickets at the mesa amphitheatre box office? (is there a box office?)

Ivy, not sure on the box office dealio. Never purchased that way.

mountmccabe
06-03-2008, 11:00 AM

Yes, I bought tickets at the box office last time I went there. It is right near the entrance.

downingthief
06-03-2008, 11:11 AM
John, are you going to Death Cab?

chairmenmeow47
06-03-2008, 11:11 AM
thanks for the box office info :)

and did someone say KARAOKE!!!!!!!!!!

i just may have to check that last exit place out sometime. if they have como la flor, i'll be in heaven :thu

mountmccabe
06-03-2008, 11:13 AM
John, are you going to Death Cab?

No. Not near enough of a fan.

rage patton
06-03-2008, 11:14 AM
No. Not near enough of a fan.

John, I saw you weren't able to make it out to Sasquatch. What happened? I kept an eye out for ya the whole weekend... no wonder I didn't see ya.

mountmccabe
06-03-2008, 11:22 AM
John, I saw you weren't able to make it out to Sasquatch. What happened? I kept an eye out for ya the whole weekend... no wonder I didn't see ya.

Ooops, sorry about that. I definitely would've found ya if I had made it. I wasn't able to go because the summer got too busy and I no longer had the vacation day(s), flight and ticket money, etc to spend.

I def want to go someday, though. My friend up in Seattle has been raving about the Gorge for years and the pictures I've seen on these boards and the reports from the festival... sounds like a ton of fun.

faxman75
06-03-2008, 11:39 AM
thanks for the box office info :)

and did someone say KARAOKE!!!!!!!!!!

i just may have to check that last exit place out sometime. if they have como la flor, i'll be in heaven :thu

I can find out if he has that. Either way it's good times and the perfect size crowd. I must admit I am feeling old as I was way to dehydrated and exhuasted this morning to come to work. I somehow made it work though. Tonight I have to finish unpacking and take some naps. I got some gold elvis style sunglasses over the weekend and now i'm really upset about waking up to a sunny room even with the blinds closed. I'm considering tin foil but does anyone have any less ghetto ideas for keeping the sun out? All I can think of is sheets and tin foil and I don't dig how that looks from outside.

chairmenmeow47
06-03-2008, 11:42 AM
I can find out if he has that. Either way it's good times and the perfect size crowd. I must admit I am feeling old as I was way to dehydrated and exhuasted this morning to come to work. I somehow made it work though. Tonight I have to finish unpacking and take some naps. I got some gold elvis style sunglasses over the weekend and now i'm really upset about waking up to a sunny room even with the blinds closed. I'm considering tin foil but does anyone have any less ghetto ideas for keeping the sun out? All I can think of is sheets and tin foil and I don't dig how that looks from outside.

in my party days, we'd hang thick blankets over the windows (because of complex cunts, we couldn't do tinfoil). that's only temporary though.

i want to see these gold elvis style glasses!!! pics!!!

RotationSlimWang
06-03-2008, 11:43 AM
... "complex cunts?"

faxman75
06-03-2008, 11:49 AM
i want to see these gold elvis style glasses!!! pics!!!

You know what. I'm gonna upload some pics tonight hopefully. I will be sure to snap one more of me in my new glasses. I love buying stuff I look ridiculous in. I guess that's why I buy my clothes at walmart.

Speaking of clothes I have more clothes than most chicks. It's fucked up. I really need to maintain my weight once I lose it all again. I'm down 25 lbs and have a shitload more to lose but once I do I gotta get rid of all these fucking clothes. It's disturbing how many different sizes I have.

chairmenmeow47
06-03-2008, 11:51 AM
You know what. I'm gonna upload some pics tonight hopefully. I will be sure to snap one more of me in my new glasses. I love buying stuff I look ridiculous in. I guess that's why I buy my clothes at walmart.

Speaking of clothes I have more clothes than most chicks. It's fucked up. I really need to maintain my weight once I lose it all again. I'm down 25 lbs and have a shitload more to lose but once I do I gotta get rid of all these fucking clothes. It's disturbing how many different sizes I have.

oh man, i'll have a closet clothes off with you, cause i have several closets worth myself.

and i can't wait to see the pics, i love wearing funny stuff too :)

... "complex cunts?"

bitches that work at apartment complexes. generally they are cunty.

Somewhat Damaged
06-03-2008, 11:56 AM
Hot Chip w/ Vampire Weekend in September in Tucson. Should be a good show.

Bought tix for myself and captncrzy last week, along with a ticket for myself to see the Swell Season and Iron & Wine in October. Also found out CSS are playing the Rialto two days after Hot Chip/Vampire Weekend, but since that'll still be in the middle of the week and I'll be living up in Phoenix by then, I don't think I'll be up for making the round trip again.

RotationSlimWang
06-03-2008, 11:57 AM
bitches that work at apartment complexes. generally they are cunty.

Ahhh, that makes sense now. I thought you were talking about cunts with an unusually high degree of intricacy to them.

faxman75
06-03-2008, 12:40 PM
Damn, I just got this delivered to my desk:

"An Internal Audit recently conducted a random review of employee internet activity and generated a list of users who logged in excess of 5 hours of internet activity during a two day audit period in January 2008. Their report indicates that you appear to have logged 10.39 hours of internet usage during the udit period. .04 hours of which were attributable to streaming media. The auditors explain that their tracking utility records active internet usage each time a user logs onto the internet. When an employee leaves a webpage open for an extended period of time without active use, the maximum time recorded is three minutes. While some limited personal use of County technology resources is permissible, significant use of your computer for non business related purposes could result in increasingly serious discipline."

Supervisor CC'd.

ouch

This tells me I suck as a person and lack motivation and maturity since I waste so much time on here. I guess I will be cutting back though I do find it odd that i'm getting a letter in June about an audit that took place in January ?? That's crazy late.

chairmenmeow47
06-03-2008, 12:47 PM

"An Internal Audit recently conducted a random review of employee internet activity and generated a list of users who logged in excess of 5 hours of internet activity during a two day audit period in January 2008. Their report indicates that you appear to have logged 10.39 hours of internet usage during the udit period. .04 hours of which were attributable to streaming media. The auditors explain that their tracking utility records active internet usage each time a user logs onto the internet. When an employee leaves a webpage open for an extended period of time without active use, the maximum time recorded is three minutes. While some limited personal use of County technology resources is permissible, significant use of your computer for non business related purposes could result in increasingly serious discipline."

Supervisor CC'd.

ouch

This tells me I suck as a person and lack motivation and maturity since I waste so much time on here. I guess I will be cutting back though I do find it odd that i'm getting a letter in June about an audit that took place in January ?? That's crazy late.

i think we all fear this letter, ouch. bummer dude.

downingthief
06-03-2008, 12:54 PM
Damn the Man!

chairmenmeow47
06-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Damn the Man!

save empire!

faxman75
06-03-2008, 01:06 PM
I haven't seen that movie in a while. I'm such a sucker for teen comedies. I need to download empire records..

What do you think is better, Empire Records or High Fidelity? Empire is more fun and Fidelity has a little better acting maybe. I think Empire wins.

TomAz
06-03-2008, 01:07 PM

Supervisor CC'd.

ouch

you work for the county? and they expect you to work? don't they understand??

TomAz
06-03-2008, 01:08 PM

ohhhh. tests. cool.

captncrzy
06-03-2008, 03:09 PM
hahaha busted!

RotationSlimWang
06-03-2008, 04:08 PM
I haven't seen that movie in a while. I'm such a sucker for teen comedies. I need to download empire records..

What do you think is better, Empire Records or High Fidelity? Empire is more fun and Fidelity has a little better acting maybe. I think Empire wins.

Are you fucking kidding me? Empire Records is a godawful piece of shit.

faxman75
06-03-2008, 04:59 PM
Nope it's fun and entertaining.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff98/faxman75/NewApartmentLastExit026.jpg

My forehead is two different colors. Ha.

bakersfield
06-03-2008, 10:10 PM
Who is going to the Cure tomorrow?

Courtney
06-03-2008, 11:58 PM
i think we all fear this letter, ouch. bummer dude.

Yes, this is one of my fears.

I can only hope that because I work for a place that is small enough and non-profit enough, it's a non-issue. I don't think anyone is tech-savvy enough internally to monitor internet usage.

captncrzy
06-04-2008, 08:07 AM
Who is going to the Cure tomorrow?

Me, somewhatdamaged, Ivy. As far as I know. Anyone else?

bakersfield
06-04-2008, 12:07 PM
FYI for the Cure tonight....

Opening act will come on right at 7.
Cure at 8.

Dodge Theatre has an 11pm curfew :(

bakersfield
06-04-2008, 11:32 PM
THE CURE
Phoenix--Wow! AMAZING! The best performance I have ever seen from them (I have seen them 14-15 times since mid-80's). The sound was so freaking crisp & Robert sounded great! I did not miss the keyboards at all.
The setlist was just right for me. Pornography is my favorite album & we got The Figurehead (blew me away...hadn't been played on tour yet) & A Strange Day. My 13 yr old son (a bass player) was in awe of Simon on the bass!
What a wonderful night!
--
Setlist: Underneath The Stars, Want, Fascination Street, A Night Like This, The Walk, The End of the World, Lovesong, The Big Hand, Pictures of You, Lullaby, The Perfect Boy, From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea, The Figurehead, A Strange Day, Sleep When I'm Dead, Push, Inbetween Days, Just Like Heaven, Primary, The Only One, Hot Hot Hot, Wrong Number, Signal To Noise, One Hundred Years, Baby Rag Dog Book

1st encore: At Night, M, Play For Today, A Forest
2nd encore: Boys Don't Cry, Jumping Someone Else's Train, Grinding Halt, 10:15 Saturday Night, Killing An Arab

Yablonowitz
06-05-2008, 06:06 AM
ACpNVD5GMUw

TomAz
06-05-2008, 12:16 PM
I am having a hard time deciding if the guy on the left (on the panel) is Paul Williams, John Denver, or Artie Johnson. I think it's Johnson. and I think he really needs to get laid.

downingthief
06-05-2008, 12:56 PM
Or...do YOU, Tom?

faxman75
06-09-2008, 09:24 AM
Karaoke @ Last Exit Tonight 9PM til whenever

Last Exit is located at Priest and Southern in the REI shopping center next to the school of Massage therapy. I think tha'ts the Southwest corner. :)

chairmenmeow47
06-09-2008, 09:41 AM
Karaoke @ Last Exit Tonight 9PM til whenever

Last Exit is located at Priest and Southern in the REI shopping center next to the school of Massage therapy. I think tha'ts the Southwest corner. :)

if i wasn't sick i'd totally be there :( fooey.

TomAz
06-09-2008, 09:43 AM
so I had dinner at Digestif in downtown Scottsdale (sort of across the street from Cowboy Ciao) on Saturday. cool place, cool bar, good food though maybe a little pricey for a casual night out. they grow some of their own herbs even. decor is red brick basement with a lot of music-oriented themes. the bar even has absinthe.

the music orientation goes even further than wall decor -- from their website:

the music
Keep an ear open to the eclectic musical mix – Digestif’s CD collection includes everything from Radiohead and Amy Winehouse to Arcade Fire and Spoon. Local music heroine Kimber Lanning of Phoenix record shop Stinkweeds (hyperlink) has collaborated on a listening station where diners can preview indie (and often, local) CD’s available for purchase. All proceeds go to Local First Arizona (hyperlink), a grassroots organization encouraging Valley residents to help maximize economic benefits for the state and our local communities by patronizing locally-owned businesses whenever possible.

www.digestifscottsdale.com

LooseAtTheZoo
06-09-2008, 09:45 AM
How was the absinthe?
I've been meaning to check that place out

chairmenmeow47
06-09-2008, 09:49 AM
so I had dinner at Digestif in downtown Scottsdale (sort of across the street from Cowboy Ciao) on Saturday. cool place, cool bar, good food though maybe a little pricey for a casual night out. they grow some of their own herbs even. decor is red brick basement with a lot of music-oriented themes. the bar even has absinthe.

looks interesting, imma have to check that out.

and i ended up in that side house at cibo's on saturday for a birthday dinner, and what's funny is i knew where we were going; however i didn't realize it was the same restaurant we all met at a few weeks ago until we got there. i'm a dork =P

faxman75
06-09-2008, 09:52 AM
They should erect a statue somewhere of Kimber Lanning. She is always thinking and doing great things locally with music. One of the few record store owners with longetivity. Another would be the Bookmans owners. Good to see the mom and pops not completely extinct just very endangered.

faxman75
06-09-2008, 09:53 AM
if i wasn't sick i'd totally be there :( fooey.

I'm sure this will be a weekly thing :)

quicksand
06-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Anybody going to Frog Eyes tonight or Joan of Arc tomorrow night? Both shows at Modified.

captncrzy
06-09-2008, 03:31 PM

I told my coworkers about the "green hour" and now we're all going next Wednesday. Although, one of them is an absinthe freak, and he insists that this type of absinthe doesn't have the wormwood in it, so we won't be doing any hallucinating.

TomAz
06-09-2008, 03:33 PM
I had a $12 bottle of beer there. it was great beer. Wee Beast.

mountmccabe
06-09-2008, 03:34 PM
Hey Jennifer are you going to Peter Murphy? Have you gotten tickets yet?

faxman75
06-09-2008, 03:38 PM
lol love the sig mccabe.

Young blood
06-09-2008, 04:02 PM
ACpNVD5GMUw

This made me so happy.

downingthief
06-09-2008, 04:26 PM
I told my coworkers about the "green hour" and now we're all going next Wednesday. Although, one of them is an absinthe freak, and he insists that this type of absinthe doesn't have the wormwood in it, so we won't be doing any hallucinating.

He would be correct. "Wormwood" absinthe is illegal in the US.

RotationSlimWang
06-09-2008, 04:37 PM
There is no absinthe produced and sold anywhere in the world--including Eastern Europe, despite what you might have heard--that has a wormwood content high enough to induce even trace hallucinations unless you drank enough to get alcohol poisoning twice in one sitting.

amyzzz
06-09-2008, 05:17 PM
Here we go again with the absinthe.

Mr. Dylanja
06-09-2008, 05:39 PM
Peter Murphy is tonight isn't he?

*sssigh* have fun!

captncrzy
06-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Hey Jennifer are you going to Peter Murphy? Have you gotten tickets yet?

I'm so sorry, i got your text just now. I totally forgot about this somehow. Dammit, I'm pissed. I really was thinking about going.

TomAz
06-10-2008, 07:07 AM
Here we go again with the absinthe.

sometimes, amy, people talk about things other than what strictly interests you. or me. or whoever. see the 'Lost' thread, e.g.

amyzzz
06-10-2008, 10:18 AM
sometimes, amy, people talk about things other than what strictly interests you. or me. or whoever. see the 'Lost' thread, e.g.
I think you totally misuderstood me here. My point was that nothingman and LGM have beat the absinthe thing to death several times, and it comes up again every 6 months or so. Y'all don't hang out in the drug threads though, so you wouldn't know.

I am interested. I want something else to make me trip, but apparently absinthe ain't gonna do it. Which is good to know.

TomAz
06-10-2008, 11:16 AM
oh.

nevermind.

faxman75
06-10-2008, 12:17 PM
So, Karaoke at Last Exit was drunken fun....kinda. Oh man, I need to not stay out so late on Mondays, now my whole week is probably fucked. I like last exit because it's so fucking dark. I also like the small crowd and the shuffleboard and the embarassing renditions of "she don't use Jelly" and "Bulls On Parade" that I did that were pretty much ignored by the 20-30 people there. lol.

mountmccabe
06-10-2008, 04:20 PM
I'm so sorry, i got your text just now. I totally forgot about this somehow. Dammit, I'm pissed. I really was thinking about going.

Yeah, sorry you didn't make it.

I enjoyed the show; Peter played for about 85 minutes counting two encores. The first was "Strange Kind of Love" (with Peter on 12-string) and "She's In Parties" and then the second was "Cuts You Up." "All Night Long" and "Final Solution" were written on the sheets as possibilities but were not played.

His voice sounded good and he was funny to watch, dancing around up there.

Also, contrary to prior reports, the final total attendance (my estimate) was 473.

downingthief
06-10-2008, 08:22 PM
Nice, John. Glad you liked it. "Strange kind of Love" is one of my all time faves.
Really enjoy it when he plays that one, and "Marlene Dietrich's Favorite Poem" by himself.

captncrzy
06-10-2008, 08:33 PM
Damn it all. I'm getting old. I actually am going to need y'all to start reminding me of shit.

Speaking of that==Amy, I just realized that our george michael date is next sunday!

Mr. Dylanja
06-11-2008, 02:15 AM
Also, contrary to prior reports, the final total attendance (my estimate) was 473.

Are you Autistic?

amyzzz
06-11-2008, 08:18 AM
Damn it all. I'm getting old. I actually am going to need y'all to start reminding me of shit.

Speaking of that==Amy, I just realized that our george michael date is next sunday!
A week from this Sunday--yeah I know. I'm having a birthday party for my kid the day before.

quicksand
06-11-2008, 05:43 PM
Joan of Arc at Modified = Awesome

mountmccabe
06-11-2008, 08:36 PM
Are you Autistic?

No. It was stated as an estimate and I didn't feel like selecting a round number.

jackstraw94086
06-11-2008, 09:51 PM
5 minutes till Wapner.

Mr. Dylanja
06-11-2008, 10:28 PM
No. It was stated as an estimate and I didn't feel like selecting a round number.

fair enough

locachica73
06-12-2008, 02:36 PM
OK these damn pollution advisorys have got to stop. I have been having an asthma attack for the last 2 weeks due to high pollution and allergies which is one reason I moved to the desert from Oregon to avoid my asthma and allergies. Now this year they have been in full force. I quit smoking 10 years ago and sound like I have a 2 pack a day habit.

Although the plus side to pollution in the desert and $4/gallon gas.... Traffic has been damn near nonexistant for the last month.

Ok I am just bitching about the desert but I still love it here and will never move.

faxman75
06-12-2008, 03:08 PM
I'm so happy I moved. I don't deal with freeways anymore. I'm at 44th st and baseline and work down town. I take baseline to 7th ave and 7th ave north to downtown. It's cake. Takes me 20 minutes. I was using the bus but now i'm destroying the environment again. It appears that I spent aproximately $40 a week in gas which isn't too terrible.

locachica73
06-13-2008, 08:25 AM
I live up near Cave Creek and Baseline and the construction project i work on is near I17 and 101 so I have a 10 minute commute now but starting next week they are sending me back to the main office which is down by the airport, ugh. Then in August my new project starts and i have to drive my happy ass out to sun city. and deal with old people drivers. I have a feeling I will spend alot of time in the bad mood thread at that point.

*edit* ok cave creek and bell road... wtf, don't try to type while on meds.

chairmenmeow47
06-13-2008, 08:40 AM
i'm happy i work south now, cause i get to go against traffic on the 101.

i'm also going to see erykah badu and the roots tomorrow, w00t! anyone going?

also, crs? will be at the blunt club thursday, DON'T MISS IT!!!

*edit* i just remembered i'll have to come after death cab, d*oh!!! i knew committing to death cab was a bad idea...

faxman75
06-13-2008, 09:02 AM
Tomorrow is a busy fucking day for me. I have to take my dog to try and see if this old lady can handle the little fucker. She is going to watch him for 24 hours and see if he will come back inside after having play time in the yard. I sersly hope this works as I have no other options for a dog watcher and I can't afford those pet hotels. This lady is charging me a whopping $4 a day, i just bring his food and any toys. Then I shoot over to Glendale 83rd ave and Northern area and pick up my kid and take him to lunch and get ice cream for his birthday. Yay! He's 10, this was my exes child and we were together for 5 years so basically i'm all he knows as dad since his real one has been MIA for 9 years so we both agreed I get to be dad (way more information that you asked for, i know) so anyway, I will then give him some cool presents, I got him a Rey Mysterio costume, Street Football 3 for PSP, some ninja movie and another Wrestling cage toy thing. Once all that fun is over he will be in the midst of his bday party and they are all going to see the incredible hulk movie. I will be heading to the Diamondbacks game with my roommate and a couple freinds. Free tickets woot! Roger Clyne is playing after the game which probably means I get to avoid traffic. I'll stay for a song or two and then get the hell out.

Tonight, i'm not sure. Oh, has anyone been to the comedy club in Scottsdale? Is that new? Comedy spot or something. I'm gonna check out Gilbert Gottfriet there in August or something.

Ok, that's what I got. Oh, anyone have a connection for some kine? Send me a pm. Thanks.

locachica73
06-13-2008, 09:05 AM
I didn't even know there was a comedy club in scottsdale. I have only been to the improv a few times, always a good time but the drinks are way too expensive and weak. I am suppose to be heading out with some girls to the Tilted Kilt in Mesa tonight but I just can't fathom the $25 worth of gas to get down there plus drinks. I prefer staying close to home.

faxman75
06-13-2008, 09:09 AM
I've been to the tilted kilt in N. Scottsdale. Pretty cool place, lots of soccer on the tv's which I thought was cool. Also lots of pretty ladies in kilts.

locachica73
06-13-2008, 09:13 AM
I have never been there but one of my girlfriends likes bikers and apparently it is a big biker hang out. I prefer hole in the wall bars where I can shoot pool, although pretty ladies in kilts is somewhat of a draw. We shall see.

chairmenmeow47
06-13-2008, 09:32 AM
Then I shoot over to Glendale 83rd ave and Northern area and pick up my kid and take him to lunch and get ice cream for his birthday.

that's like my old hood yo. i'm from 107th ave and northern, WESSIDERS REPRESENT!!!!!!!!!!!

faxman75
06-13-2008, 09:56 AM
Word, we lived at 51st and TBird for about 4 years in a house that I recently gave back to the bank. I'm happy to be back east because that's where all my peeps are and that was a hell of a commute.

locachica73
06-13-2008, 10:57 AM
I live in North Phoenix, and am in search of a good place for bloody mary's. Any suggestions. The best I have found so far are at Peppars Sports Bar but they aren't great and I want a great one.

faxman75
06-13-2008, 11:12 AM
Might sound cheezy but I have some friends who swear by the boody mary's at Z Tejas grill on N. Tatum.

chairmenmeow47
06-13-2008, 11:15 AM
i would never drink a tomato, so i don't know if they're good, but you can get them at chompies in tempe, along with mimosas :)

and z-tejas lost my business when they got rid of their only acceptable product: pork & black bean nachos.

faxman75
06-13-2008, 11:16 AM
Mimosas can be yummy in the am. Reminds me of Vegas.....

locachica73
06-13-2008, 11:17 AM
Actually I went there for margarita's recently and they were very good so it doesn't surprise me that the bloody mary's would be good also. In fact I hear they have a bloody mary bar and you just pick up a glass of vodka at the bar and make your own so I may have to give it a shot this weekend.

quicksand
06-13-2008, 02:03 PM
Is there a page somewhere in this thread for what highschool all the Phoenicians went to?

faxman75
06-13-2008, 02:04 PM
I moved to Phoenix from Chicago in August of 2000. No high school for me here.

locachica73
06-13-2008, 02:10 PM
I first moved up here when I was 16 and was supposed to go to Maryvale High School, luckily they wouldnt let me in because my sister didn't have legal custody of me. That place was scary.

chairmenmeow47
06-13-2008, 02:13 PM
i went to boarding school in cali my freshman year, but i spent two years at peoria after that and graduated a year early in 1999.

WHO'S HOUSE?!?!??!?!?!

talk about ghetto man...

captncrzy
06-13-2008, 02:15 PM
I went to Apollo High School in Glendale.

locachica73
06-13-2008, 02:18 PM
Maryvale actually had to change their football games to during the day because of the fear of gang shootings. It is over around 51st ave and Thomas. The day I went to register they had a metal detector and were escorting a nice boy out in handcuffs after they pepper sprayed him. This was back in 1989.

faxman75
06-13-2008, 02:18 PM
Someone tried telling me the Fry's grocery store I went to was ghetto. It's at 48th st and baseline. I still can't figure that one out. I was there just last night and that place is so safe some chick was in the parking lot by herself at night with a clipboard tyring to get signatures for something.

locachica73
06-13-2008, 03:03 PM
24th street and southern, now thats ghetto/bario. I get scared in those neighborhoods and I consider myself a tough chick.

Mr. Dylanja
06-13-2008, 03:41 PM
I went to Thunderbird, I was a Chief, we got are ass kicked by Apollo in footbal. The school was cool, no complaints.

Locachica, if you do like Mimosas by chance Basis @ 7th St. and T-Bird has a Sunday Brunch with all you can drink. The food is supposed to be excellent, I think it's under $20. I can't personally vouch for it because I'm not much of a morning person or a day drinker for that matter.

captncrzy
06-13-2008, 06:48 PM
I went to Thunderbird, I was a Chief, we got are ass kicked by Apollo in footbal. The school was cool, no complaints.

Locachica, if you do like Mimosas by chance Basis @ 7th St. and T-Bird has a Sunday Brunch with all you can drink. The food is supposed to be excellent, I think it's under $20. I can't personally vouch for it because I'm not much of a morning person or a day drinker for that matter.

Where exactly is this sunday brunch? I've been on the lookout for a decent one...

Mr. Dylanja
06-13-2008, 06:54 PM
NW corner of 7th St. and T-Bird.

There is a Safeway there, its attached to the same building on the south side facing T-Bird. On the very north end of the same building is Ammacopone's (sp) it is my close little dive bar, with cheap, stiff drinks and a decent juke box, couple pool tables, not bad, if you want to continue the boozefest after brunch...

mountmccabe
06-13-2008, 10:36 PM
The Zia at 40th St and Thunderbird is closing down. They are shipping off the merchandise to one of the Vegas stores so they're not even having a sale.

I've been going to this Zia - if you consider it the same Zia because it's the same base merchandise - since early high school when it was at 36th St and Bell. I didn't go to the 32nd St and Bell incarnation because I was in Tucson much of the time but that one was where on July 1, 1997, for example, I bought OK Computer and Ladies In Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space.

This means I am going to have to find out which Vegas store this stuff is going to and hit it up at least once. Do they have more than one Vegas store?

locachica73
06-14-2008, 02:17 AM
NW corner of 7th St. and T-Bird.

There is a Safeway there, its attached to the same building on the south side facing T-Bird. On the very north end of the same building is Ammacopone's (sp) it is my close little dive bar, with cheap, stiff drinks and a decent juke box, couple pool tables, not bad, if you want to continue the boozefest after brunch...

if you live in the area another good bar is Brennens at 34th and Bell, they have $5 pitchers and pool tables. it is my favorite bar.

I will have to check out the Sunday brunch. It sounds tasty.

TomAz
06-16-2008, 06:54 AM
7:45 am. Official temp in Scottsdale is already 96.

also, is anyone at all going to see Mr Waits this week?

gaypalmsprings
06-16-2008, 07:27 AM
It was 114 in PS yesterday....115 today & tomorrow.

locachica73
06-16-2008, 07:29 AM
Its only mid June and we are scheduled to hit 111 tomorrow. Doesn't give me any warm fuzzy feelings about July and August. Come on Monsoon season.

TomAz
06-16-2008, 07:30 AM
scheduled?

Hopeless Semantic
06-16-2008, 07:37 AM
It's like Coachella every day in AZ, isn't it? Sans the awesome music...

locachica73
06-16-2008, 07:38 AM
scheduled?

lol well ummm forefasted would be the correct term i suppose. I haven't had any caffiene yet. sorry.

downingthief
06-16-2008, 07:45 AM
The Zia at 40th St and Thunderbird is closing down. They are shipping off the merchandise to one of the Vegas stores so they're not even having a sale.

I've been going to this Zia - if you consider it the same Zia because it's the same base merchandise - since early high school when it was at 36th St and Bell. I didn't go to the 32nd St and Bell incarnation because I was in Tucson much of the time but that one was where on July 1, 1997, for example, I bought OK Computer and Ladies In Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space.

This means I am going to have to find out which Vegas store this stuff is going to and hit it up at least once. Do they have more than one Vegas store?

That is sad. I remember the original location was at 32nd st and Shea, where the old movie theater used to be. There were there for about 1-2 years, I think. Then moved to the 36th st and Bell location. Another one gone...

luckyface
06-16-2008, 08:02 AM

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

That was my store! I went there all of the time. This is really depressing. I was hoping it would last. Does Phoenix area even have any good indie music shops now (I have heard of Stinkweeds but never visited, and who knows if it still open)?

What really sucks is the last thing I bought there was Josh Groban's CD for Motehr's Day when all of the other stores were sold out. I really cultivated my music taste there.

captncrzy
06-16-2008, 08:17 AM
I always hung out at the Zia on I17 and TBird. Is that one still there?

Now I go to the one on University since it's down the street from the office.

Hopeless Semantic
06-16-2008, 08:23 AM
Okay, so I once saw this show on the Food Network promoting the supposed best places to eat and they had this pizza place in Phoenix or someplace near it where the line to get a table is sometimes 3 hours. It is owned by a gentleman who comes up with some unique combos for pizzas. It might be in Mesa, AZ, but for the life of me I cannot remember the name.

locachica73
06-16-2008, 08:49 AM
Okay, so I once saw this show on the Food Network promoting the supposed best places to eat and they had this pizza place in Phoenix or someplace near it where the line to get a table is sometimes 3 hours. It is owned by a gentleman who comes up with some unique combos for pizzas. It might be in Mesa, AZ, but for the life of me I cannot remember the name.

It is called Pizzaria Bianco, but I have heard it is not really worth the 3 hour wait. I can't ever imagine waiting 3 hours for any food item and especially not pizza.

chairmenmeow47
06-16-2008, 08:53 AM

i'm pretty sure that one's still there, i drove by it recently i think.

and does anyone remember that CDGB's that used to be on 32nd and bell? i think every CD i purchased from there ended up having a "for promotional use only" sticker, LOL.

erykah badu was the SHIT saturday. seriously. what an amazing performer. it's too bad the roots STARTED THE SECOND THE GATES OPENED AT 6. what the holy hell was THAT about?!

it was an interesting crowd too. a bunch of people in line were late like we were, lol. and they stopped serving alcohol to the guy in FRONT of me and my girlfriend at 8:45!!! LAME!!! some girl in line in front of us tried to get into the venue with a hemp necklace with a goddamned glass PIPE hanging from it. that was hysterical. she argued too. i swear, i'd never seen so much arguing about security or haggling about food/beer at one show, lol.

was anyone at solstice at bar smith saturday? went there for a friend's birthday shennanigans. i'd never been there, but seemed like a neat location. right next to the sky lounge, and the second floor had an open top roof, kinda like a patio. i'm not a big house music fan, but there was some sort of hip hop downstairs that made up for it.

lots of douchebag guys though. some guy tried to say something to me while i was standing RIGHT next to a speaker, so i grabbed his arm to pull him away from the speaker so i could hear him, but he took that as me blowing him off and flipped me off to yelled "well fuck you too then!". i was like "uhh, just wanted to hear you better dude" and he apologized but that was the end of that, lol. layoff the coke people, JEEZ.

Hopeless Semantic
06-16-2008, 08:54 AM
It is called Pizzaria Bianco, but I have heard it is not really worth the 3 hour wait. I can't ever imagine waiting 3 hours for any food item and especially not pizza.

Yeah, that's what made me remember the wait. I wouldn't wait that long for food unless there was something gimmicky behind it lol. Especially not for pizza...

locachica73
06-16-2008, 09:00 AM
Red Devil has really good pizza and I never have to wait to get in lol. And Oregono's too. Ok now I am craving Pizza. Feta Cheese, Artichoke Hearts & Pepperoni. YUM

chairmenmeow47
06-16-2008, 09:02 AM
Red Devil has really good pizza and I never have to wait to get in lol. And Oregono's too. Ok now I am craving Pizza. Feta Cheese, Artichoke Hearts & Pepperoni. YUM

both of those are YUM! it's been forever since i've had red devil.

TomAz
06-16-2008, 09:03 AM

you don't understand.

locachica73
06-16-2008, 09:05 AM
that's not the first time i have heard that and im sure it won't be the last.

downingthief
06-16-2008, 09:13 AM
Bianco is worth the wait, in my opinion. I waited almost 4 hours the first time I went. Played games with friends, drank wine, etc. to pass the time. Told myself that stuff better be good. It was. Best pizza I have ever had, and one the best meals period I have ever had.

faxman75
06-16-2008, 09:14 AM
Think crust pizza is not real pizza. :)

Speaking of food network shows, me and my roommate have been scoping out this place known for having the best breakfast. It's like 801 N. 1st st. or something. I forget the name of it but it's old school fresh home made breakfast with all real products fresh. Giant pancakes and real syrups and things of this nature. Well we finally looked it up and drove to it yesterday and alas, it was closed. We coudln't tell if it closed down permanently or they were under renovation but it's was 1030am on a Sunday morning which I would think is prime time for them.

Hmmm

locachica73
06-16-2008, 09:18 AM
the kids and i use to go to a place called olies omelettes. they have one over in glendale that is still open but we use to go to the one on 32nd street and thunderbird which changed ownership. But we use to love that place, 54 different kinds of omelletes and it was very resonably priced too. I hate when you find a place you like nd the shut it down.

Hopeless Semantic
06-16-2008, 09:19 AM
Out of the 3 restaurants I went to because of recommendations by shows on the Food Network, only 2 of them were as advertised. The best was the San Pedro Cafe that makes the best Green Chile Omelette I've ever had.

locachica73
06-16-2008, 09:19 AM
Bianco is worth the wait, in my opinion. I waited almost 4 hours the first time I went. Played games with friends, drank wine, etc. to pass the time. Told myself that stuff better be good. It was. Best pizza I have ever had, and one the best meals period I have ever had.

I know they take reservations for parties of over 8 I believe. I will have to give it a shot sometime with a group of people. Just not really into the idea of waiting 3 hours, chances are I will end up at the bar waiting and get tipsy and then not want to eat.

downingthief
06-16-2008, 09:23 AM
Definitely do a reservation. I know we have tried on here...has that ever worked out yet? If not, we need to get that going again.

chairmenmeow47
06-16-2008, 09:53 AM
Definitely do a reservation. I know we have tried on here...has that ever worked out yet? If not, we need to get that going again.

i agree, we should make that happen!!! with a reservation though. i don't wait that long for pizza no matter how awesome it is.

luckyface
06-16-2008, 10:13 AM
Ah Oregano's. I miss that place. Not the long waits, though.

locachica73
06-16-2008, 10:15 AM
yeah i often wonder about why that place is so small, whenever i go its packed, but usually the wait is no more then half an hour, which i can deal with. i love their roast beef sandwich with the pablano chilis. ok im hungry.

mountmccabe
06-16-2008, 10:39 AM
That is sad. I remember the original location was at 32nd st and Shea, where the old movie theater used to be. There were there for about 1-2 years, I think. Then moved to the 36th st and Bell location. Another one gone...

It was at 36th St and Bell before it was at 32nd St and Shea.

The timeline:
2000-2008 - 40th St and Thunderbird
1995-2000 - 32nd St and Shea
1990-1995 - 36th St and Bell

Years least are +/- 1 year. Also I am not sure about before 1990 because that is when I started going.

Thunderbird and the 17 is still there.

Indian School and 19th Av is still there; that one moved from Indian School and 7th St (or was it 7th Av?) somewhere around 5 years ago.

They're down to two in Tucson. The Oracle and Prince one is still there as is one of the Speedway locations. I forget the intersection but it was about Country Club. The one further East (around Kolb? There was/is a movie theater right there) is gone.

That is an awesome typo. I can't tell if you mean "thin" or "thick" cause either is just one letter off.

Also I can't tell because I fail to understand either sentiment.

captncrzy
06-16-2008, 11:19 AM

Speaking of food network shows, me and my roommate have been scoping out this place known for having the best breakfast. It's like 801 N. 1st st. or something. I forget the name of it but it's old school fresh home made breakfast with all real products fresh. Giant pancakes and real syrups and things of this nature. Well we finally looked it up and drove to it yesterday and alas, it was closed. We coudln't tell if it closed down permanently or they were under renovation but it's was 1030am on a Sunday morning which I would think is prime time for them.

Hmmm

I think you're talking about Matt's Big Breakfast.

We've been trying to pull this together for months and it's never worked out.

mountmccabe
06-16-2008, 11:38 AM
I'd like to offer July 11th and July 18th up for consideration for Coachella Board Goes to Pizzeria Biancos.

If you're looking for Fridays; those are the ones I have free in the next two months.

Also I could probably be there by 5 pm to start waiting/drinking next door if that's desired/allowed.

Also I am not forcing Friday but I know the last time y'all tried and actually managed to meet for dinner - even if it was not at PB - it was a Friday so I'm just running with that.

downingthief
06-16-2008, 11:41 AM
It was at 36th St and Bell before it was at 32nd St and Shea.

The timeline:
2000-2008 - 40th St and Thunderbird
1995-2000 - 32nd St and Shea
1990-1995 - 36th St and Bell

Years least are +/- 1 year. Also I am not sure about before 1990 because that is when I started going.

Ahh. Correct. Got it backwards.
I remember now. I think the theater was something else before Zia's, but I can't remember what now...going to drive me nuts the rest of the day.

downingthief
06-16-2008, 11:42 AM
I'd like to offer July 11th and July 18th up for consideration for Coachella Board Goes to Pizzeria Biancos.

If you're looking for Fridays; those are the ones I have free in the next two months.

Also I could probably be there by 5 pm to start waiting/drinking next door if that's desired/allowed.

Also I am not forcing Friday but I know the last time y'all tried and actually managed to meet for dinner - even if it was not at PB - it was a Friday so I'm just running with that.

I will be in Flagstaff on the 11th, so I am out for that one. I believe the 18th is open, though.

amyzzz
06-16-2008, 12:03 PM
I thought the place was closed during the summer?

Also, went to Washington High School in Phoenix. I was in Indianapolis this past weekend.

faxman75
06-16-2008, 12:14 PM
I will vote for the 18th as an excellent idea. I will be in europe until the 16th. :)

Matt's Big Breakfast IS indeed the place. I have to call them and see if they are open still.

captncrzy
06-16-2008, 01:36 PM
The 18th looks open for me; I'm supposed to be in LA for Yaz on the 11th.

chairmenmeow47
06-16-2008, 02:14 PM
18th is one of my best friends birthday. she's also really awful at planning and generally works a lot, so that doesn't mean anything's definite, and it would probably be celebrated later in the evening.

so basically count me in for the 18th as well; however i may have to backout or request an early dinner, if at all possible :)

here's who's in thus far:

mountmccabe
downingtheif
faxman75
captncrzy
chairmenmeow47 (tentative)

M Sparks
06-16-2008, 03:26 PM
Ah Oregano's. I miss that place. Not the long waits, though.

That reminds me, I've got a leftover slice of Sproccoli in the fridge.

amyzzz
06-16-2008, 03:42 PM
My kids might be staying in Utah for a couple weeks in July, so count me and Jacob in as a tentative for July 18th.

mountmccabe
06-16-2008, 05:41 PM
I thought the place was closed during the summer?

They often take a vacation in August is what you're thinking of, I think.

From their website:

Pizzeria Bianco

Hours :: Tuesday - Saturday :: 5PM – 10PM

Reservations are taken for groups of 6 – 10 only.

gaypalmsprings
06-16-2008, 06:03 PM
http://www.pitponies.co.uk/images/charlie3.gif

faxman75
06-16-2008, 06:33 PM
I will once again pimp the karaoke. Tonight. Last Exit. 9pm - 2am. Last Exit is in the REI shopping center on the south west corner of Priest and Southern..

woot

Mr. Dylanja
06-16-2008, 07:44 PM
Sorry I missed you Fax, I ended up having to work all day Sunday...

faxman75
06-16-2008, 08:14 PM
No prob man. Let me know when you are free. :)

denies the day
06-16-2008, 09:05 PM
Does Phoenix area even have any good indie music shops now (I have heard of Stinkweeds but never visited, and who knows if it still open)?

Stinkweeds is the best place for music, accept no substitutes. Although, the Circles downtown and Revolver Records sometimes has some surprises.

and does anyone remember that CDGB's that used to be on 32nd and bell? i think every CD i purchased from there ended up having a "for promotional use only" sticker, LOL.

I used to love going to CDGB's when I lived on that side of town. It was so much better than Zia's for finding weird and/or rare stuff. I could only ever stay in there for 20 minutes at a time 'cos my allergies would go through the roof due to all the dust. So tragic when they closed it.

erykah badu was the SHIT saturday. seriously. what an amazing performer. it's too bad the roots STARTED THE SECOND THE GATES OPENED AT 6. what the holy hell was THAT about?!

A bunch of my buddies were PISSED about missing the Roots. Mesa Amphi is a cool venue but also terribly inconvenient. Did anyone go to that ?uestlove party afterward?

was anyone at solstice at bar smith saturday?

Cool spot, weak drinks. I wish people supported other nights as much as all the goddamn house nights around here.

It's like 801 N. 1st st. or something.. but it's was 1030am on a Sunday morning which I would think is prime time for them.

I think Capt's right, it's Matt's Big Breakfast and I think it's only open during the week, maybe Saturday mornings? I live down the street from it but never make it because of the hours.

I'd be down for Pizzeria Bianco in July. I'm sure we could kill time at the Rose and Crown right across from it if we need to...

luckyface
06-16-2008, 09:12 PM
Stinkweeds is the best place for music, accept no substitutes. Although, the Circles downtown and Revolver Records sometimes has some surprises.

They still have Circles?? I just knew of the one at Fashion Square, and that one closed down about a decade ago.

denies the day
06-16-2008, 09:18 PM
The Circles downtown is on Central and like Fillmore, I think. Between Roosevelt and Van Buren. I can't believe it's still around because there's NEVER anyone in there. They may even be open till 9 or 10.

chairmenmeow47
06-17-2008, 08:21 AM
I used to love going to CDGB's when I lived on that side of town. It was so much better than Zia's for finding weird and/or rare stuff. I could only ever stay in there for 20 minutes at a time 'cos my allergies would go through the roof due to all the dust. So tragic when they closed it.

totally. i used to find all sorts of rare ska/punk compilation CDs. good stuff :)

A bunch of my buddies were PISSED about missing the Roots. Mesa Amphi is a cool venue but also terribly inconvenient. Did anyone go to that ?uestlove party afterward?

i was PISSED, but we were running late and stopped to eat which was our own damned fault. i thought about just eating there, but i figured there HAD to be an opening band for that long of a show. guess i was wrong :(

Cool spot, weak drinks. I wish people supported other nights as much as all the goddamn house nights around here.

amen to that! i don't know if you know blake/ill-legal, but it was his birthday shebang there, which is really strange because he's a breaks dj, lol. the spot was cool, but i'd love to hear some other music for sure. fuck house!!! lol

i remember circles, LOL.

and are you going to be at CRS? at the blunt club thursday? if so, keep an eye out so we can finally meet :)

mountmccabe
06-17-2008, 11:18 AM

I agree, Stinkweeds is the best single record store in town. That being said it's not so good that I won't go to other record stores too, especially ones that are closer.

The reasons I used to go to Zia more were that Zia was open longer and the locations were closer. Now Stinkweeds has expanded their hours and they're shutting down the closest Zia so the end result will be me going to Stinkweeds more. Also it's a fairly convenient place to stop on the way South to a show or something.

A bunch of my buddies were PISSED about missing the Roots. Mesa Amphi is a cool venue but also terribly inconvenient.

The first band will often go on before the earliest time you can find published. It's ridiculous. I, too, have been to shows where the first artist starts just as they start letting people in. I know they've got time constraints for noise but damn.

amyzzz
06-18-2008, 10:56 AM
I bought my dcfc tickets. I am officially going. If you see me, say hi, but I will have my 8-year-old in tow (she's excited).

faxman75
06-18-2008, 11:37 AM
I found out Matt's was closed for fathers day but normally would have been open.

Also, THIS JUST IN ..... Bianco's wins best in the world prize...yet again

http://food.yahoo.com/blog/sliceamerica/8380/the-best-pizza-in-the-u-s

chairmenmeow47
06-18-2008, 11:38 AM
I bought my dcfc tickets. I am officially going. If you see me, say hi, but I will have my 8-year-old in tow (she's excited).

yay! i'll keep an eye out :)

faxman75
06-18-2008, 11:39 AM
Actually that Bianco's story was written june 4th but for some reason was a yahoo feature today.

TomAz
06-18-2008, 12:09 PM
Going tonight. Love the setlist.. would love to hear "Jockey Full of Bourbon" though..

Tom Waits performs in front of sold-out crowd
10 commentsby Michael Senft - Jun. 17, 2008 11:12 PM
The Arizona Republic
Tom Waits put the "P" in "PEHDTSCHJMBA" on Tuesday night as he kicked off his Glitter and Doom Tour before a sold-out crowd at the Orpheum Theatre. It was the first Valley appearance in over 30 years from the eccentric singer-songwriter, who returns for a second show on Wednesday. And in case you were wondering, PEHDTSCHJMBA is an acronym of all the cities he is stopping at on this rare tour.

Waits, 58, even acknowledged how long it has been since his last visit, joking:

"Does Van Buren still have all those affordable hotels? That's the part of town I remember."

Otherwise he didn't dwell in the past too much during the two-hour show.

Describing the concert is difficult - the band, which included Waits' son Casey on drums, was loose and fluid while swapping instruments, handling the tricky time changes and even trickier stage cues from Waits.

But the center of attention was clearly Waits. Indeed at many points the show seemed less about the music than his outrageous acting. One of the most theatrical "singers" in rock music, he mugged and mimed his way through the songs, accentuating his tortured singing with the persona of a circus ringleader or a mad televangelist.

And with stage props. He performed much of the set standing on a wooden riser which was coated with some sort of powder. As he stomped his feet to the beat, clouds of dust would rise. During Eyeball Kid, from his 1999 comeback album The Mule Variations, he donned a bowler hat covered with mirrors, turning himself into a human disco ball. The stage set, a sort-of junkyard of antique loudspeakers, only accentuated the trash-can sound of the band and the apocalyptic feel of the show.

He also pushed his vocal cords to the limit, taking his voice from a whispered falsetto to a terrifying growl from one word to another. He even pulled out a bullhorn for his ode to the immaculate confection, Chocolate Jesus.

The bulk of the set was drawn from Waits' more recent albums, especially The Mule Variations. He did give longtime fans a special treat with mixed-up rearrangements of older songs, like the gospel rave-up Jesus Gonna Be Here, from the 1992 album Bone Machine, which was transformed into a funky shuffle, and Murder in the Red Barn, a blues number also from Bone Machine, that was given a jazzy twist.

The emotional highlight of the show, however, was when he dismissed the band and sat down at the piano for a handful of older tunes accompanied only by bassist Seth Ford Young. The mood turned conversational, with Waits joking with the hecklers in the crowd. His Bohemian-barfly persona returned as he delved deep into his catalog for such classics from the '70s as Christmas Card From a Hooker in Minneapolis and Invitation to the Blues. The mood was spoiled a little by a security guard, who was using his walkie-talkie during Christmas Card, but Waits quickly silenced him before leading the crowd in a singalong version of the stark, emotional Innocent When You Dream.

After the piano interlude ended, Waits strapped on a guitar for the rockabilly rave-up Lie to Me and the set closing stomper Make It Rain, from the 2004 album Real Gone.

He returned for a three-song encore that encapsulated the entire concert. Way Down in the Hole, from 1987's Frank's Wild Years, (and recently heard as the theme song for HBO's prison drama, The Wire) was performed as a full-fledged gospel rave-up. God's Away on Business, from the stage play soundtrack Blood Money was all German dancehall bluster, with Waits mugging and grinning through lyrics like "I'd sell your heart to the junkman baby for a buck, for a buck." And the tender ballad Time from Waits' 1985 masterpiece Rain Dogs, brought the show to an emotional close, with him coming as close to singing as he did at any point during the show, strumming gently on an acoustic guitar while crooning the chorus:

"It's time, time, time, that you love."

Odds are that Waits won't return to the Valley any time soon, so that echoing chorus will have to serve.

Unless you are lucky to have tickets for Wednesday's show.

Setlist:

• Lucinda

• Hoist That Rag

• Come on Up to the House

• Jesus Gonna Be Here

• November

• Black Market Baby

• Rain Dogs

• Trampled Rose

• Going Out West

• Murder in the Red Barn

• Cemetary Polka

• Anywhere I Lay My Head

• Get Behind the Mule

• Eyeball Kid

• Christmas Card From a Hooker in Minneapolis

• Picture in a Frame

• Invitation to the Blues

• Innocent When You Dream

• Chocolate Jesus

• Make It Rain

Encore:

• Way Down in the Hole

• God's Away on Business

• Time

Mr. Dylanja
06-18-2008, 02:16 PM
It's your night Tom, own it!

RotationSlimWang
06-18-2008, 03:02 PM
Those set lists don't have one fucking Tom Waits song I'd really want to hear.