PDA

View Full Version : The Phoenix Thread!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88

faxman75
12-23-2009, 03:38 PM
Hey Mark, WOXY is my favorite. If you like WOXY you also need to check out KEXP out of Seattle.

Yep know them too. They are always a sasquatch sponsor too. I have an in studio performan ce by the national too.

seandigi
12-23-2009, 04:08 PM
You like The Marquee?

EDIT: I haven't had the best experiences there.

Venue YES, Security and staff NO. The security in that place are a bunch of dicks. Security took my gum before Deadmau5, saying its not allowed in the venue, just to be a dick. They wouldn't even allow glowesticks. I have seen plenty of good shows there, but the security tends to ruin some of it. Not the most friendly place for psychodelics, that's for sure. If they restaffed that place it would be the best venue in town.

seandigi
12-23-2009, 04:10 PM
Things I like about the Marquee:
Yeah Yeah Yeahs show in June
Sound
Floor dips so my wife can see

Things I don't like:
Security staff
Taking shoes off to get in
ID check process
Inflated drink prices
Parking (how they took over the public park next door still boggles my mind)
Location; how can a venue with such a great location be so hard to get to?
Jerk box office staff
Jerk promoter

...other than that the place is great! Haha.

Agreed!!! One bartender makes stiff drinks for me because she see's me there all the time. I couldn't even finish my drink before Skinny Puppy once the fungus kicked in, it was just too strong.

seandigi
12-23-2009, 04:12 PM
Hey so has anyone in Phoenix seen Avatar? I was thinking about checking it out after work today since I'll be getting out early. Did anyone see it at the IMAX at AZ Mills in 3-D? Wondering if it is worth the extra money. Thanks.

I just got done watching it in 3D. It's a must! Watching it in any other way is a waste of money, you will only force yourself to see it twice, IMO. I really enjoyed it. The message is very deep in that movie. Whoever gave that movie bad reviews in the New Times was smoking crack.

seandigi
12-23-2009, 04:18 PM
Look at all the yentas in here today... Shouldn't you all be busy buying gifts for baby Jebus.

FIXED :)

westcoastpirate
12-23-2009, 05:16 PM
Micah are you going to drink wine, eat Chinese food, and go to the movies on Christmas day?

westcoastpirate
12-23-2009, 05:58 PM
Rick, PM sent.

westcoastpirate
12-23-2009, 07:21 PM
I wanted my 1,000 post to come in the Phoenix thread, thanks to everyone's support since my Join Date. And....I'm out for the night.

Mr. Dylanja
12-23-2009, 07:57 PM
Impressive display of dedication today, Tomas.

Somewhat Damaged
12-23-2009, 08:09 PM
Note to everyone who would ever be interested in calling me between 7:30 am and 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday: I turn my phone off because I'm at work and required to be on the phone, thus your text messages or phone calls/voice mails will go unanswered until after I'm off the clock. This isn't meant to sound snarky, I'm just trying to save everybody the irritation of trying to get in contact with me during the work day.
That being said, thank you very much, Tomas, and I really am looking forward to this show. I even listened to Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix at the gym tonight.

Hey, Dylan, you're 2 posts away from 9,000! I don't know whether to congratulate or console you.

westcoastpirate
12-23-2009, 08:18 PM
No worries about the phone being off, totally understand.

seandigi
12-23-2009, 08:22 PM
I work for a travel agency and you can hear cell phones come through the lines every now and again.

M Sparks
12-23-2009, 09:47 PM
I couldn't even finish my drink before Skinny Puppy once the fungus kicked in

Skinny Puppy on shrooms? That sounds like a recipe for a bad trip.

TomAz
12-24-2009, 05:10 AM
hey. merry christmas phoenicians.

would somebody who knows what's going on pre-Tweedy on Sunday send me a PM and fill me in? I will be at the Cardinals game and then going home and then heading down for the show, so I'm not sure what time I'm gonna get there, but if there is a pre-show meetup I'd like to know.

thanks.

faxman75
12-24-2009, 05:43 AM
Please fill me in as well. I remember something about an Irish bar.

amyzzz
12-24-2009, 05:47 AM
Venue YES, Security and staff NO. The security in that place are a bunch of dicks. Security took my gum before Deadmau5, saying its not allowed in the venue, just to be a dick. They wouldn't even allow glowesticks. I have seen plenty of good shows there, but the security tends to ruin some of it. Not the most friendly place for psychodelics, that's for sure. If they restaffed that place it would be the best venue in town.
They didn't take my gum at Deadmau5. Next time, give me your gum, and I will "smuggle" it in. (I had mine in my little purse)

faxman75
12-24-2009, 06:05 AM
T.E.A.M. Security is known for being terrible and they have done security at the Marquee for years. I have theorized that the removing shoes and hard ass attitude is something they actually promote to venues when they put in their bids. Honestly, who else other than the TSA at the airport is having you remove your shoes?

amyzzz
12-24-2009, 06:15 AM
They only do it for "harder" shows--like I didn't have to take off my shoes for Say Anything/Eisley, but I did have to take off my shoes for Nitzer Ebb. I can't remember if they did it for Deadmau5....

amyzzz
12-24-2009, 06:17 AM
I heard on NPR that this is the first day of the year we are not allowed to light fires in fireplaces here. :nono

I think my resort room has a fireplace, and goddamnit I am lighting it anyway. Christmas Eve motherfuckers.

seandigi
12-24-2009, 07:04 AM
Skinny Puppy on shrooms? That sounds like a recipe for a bad trip.

It almost was... it was pretty intense. I snapped out of it though. I purposely didn't eat much, as I was the one responsible for getting everyone home, and holy shit did they hit me like a ton of bricks. Unless, I ate more than I thought. They were the strongest I have had in a while. I basically hung out at my good friends house until like 4 am after the show. I wouldn't recomend Skinny Puppy on shrooms to anyone. This is coming from a huge fan of their collection.

seandigi
12-24-2009, 07:07 AM
They didn't take my gum at Deadmau5. Next time, give me your gum, and I will "smuggle" it in. (I had mine in my little purse)

Thanks, Amy :) Next time I will. That same security guard gives people crap for different stuff at every show. Power trip or something.

seandigi
12-24-2009, 07:09 AM
They only do it for "harder" shows--like I didn't have to take off my shoes for Say Anything/Eisley, but I did have to take off my shoes for Nitzer Ebb. I can't remember if they did it for Deadmau5....

I practically got strip searched at Deadmau5.

amyzzz
12-24-2009, 07:14 AM
It almost was... it was pretty intense. I snapped out of it though. I purposely didn't eat much, as I was the one responsible for getting everyone home, and holy shit did they hit me like a ton of bricks. Unless, I ate more than I thought. They were the strongest I have had in a while. I basically hung out at my good friends house until like 4 am after the show. I wouldn't recomend Skinny Puppy on shrooms to anyone. This is coming from a huge fan of their collection.
Shrooms are so inconsistent: sometimes I'll eat a little which hits me a lot or I'll eat a lot which doesn't affect me much. OR I'll eat a lot thinking the last time they didn't work, and then it hits me a lot. The last time I did it, I was actually tripping out on being nauseous which by god is an AWFUL experience. The head trips were good; it's just the nausea that was so bad. And Jacob was having epileptic fits on the bathroom floor. That wasn't a very good batch o' shrooms. heh.

seandigi
12-24-2009, 07:27 AM
Shrooms are so inconsistent: sometimes I'll eat a little which hits me a lot or I'll eat a lot which doesn't affect me much. OR I'll eat a lot thinking the last time they didn't work, and then it hits me a lot. The last time I did it, I was actually tripping out on being nauseous which by god is an AWFUL experience. The head trips were good; it's just the nausea that was so bad. And Jacob was having epileptic fits on the bathroom floor. That wasn't a very good batch o' shrooms. heh.

They sure can be inconsistant. I have never gotten sick off them, but I have been there when people have. That would be a bad experience, its never the same as the last. Funny thing is, my buddy decided to conduct his own little science experiment and seperated the stems from the caps. His girlfriend and I ate all caps, while he and another friend ate all stems. I had very intense visuals that night. They were good shrooms, I was just caught off guard and having to get myself together to drive was not fun. Once we got back to his apartment we just analyzed artwork and buds all night long :)

faxman75
12-24-2009, 07:40 AM

I had to do it for Wilco/Calexico, Liz Phair and Roger Clyne a few years back. The funny thing is after all that security they let you hold beer bottles. They apparently don't want you coming in with weapons but if you want to cut a motherfucker, they aren't stoppin' you.

locachica73
12-24-2009, 07:40 AM
I have been going back and forth on the shroom thing with myself for a few months now. Last night I was talking about it and my daughter overheard. She told me that under no circumstances should I try shrooms because apparently I am too grown up, I think too hard, allow myself to get stuck in my own head too often and always jump to the worst possible conclusion in any situation, which would cause a bad trip. Even my kids know I am fucked in the head.

seandigi
12-24-2009, 07:48 AM
I had to do it for Wilco/Calexico, Liz Phair and Roger Clyne a few years back. The funny thing is after all that security they let you hold beer bottles. They apparently don't want you coming in with weapons but if you want to cut a motherfucker, they aren't stoppin' you.

They are plastic bottles, I thought the same thing. I don't drink budlight or coorlight, or whatever they serve in those bottles. But my buddy ordered one, and it was thin plastic.

seandigi
12-24-2009, 07:49 AM
I have been going back and forth on the shroom thing with myself for a few months now. Last night I was talking about it and my daughter overheard. She told me that under no circumstances should I try shrooms because apparently I am too grown up, I think too hard, allow myself to get stuck in my own head too often and always jump to the worst possible conclusion in any situation, which would cause a bad trip. Even my kids know I am fucked in the head.

That can happen to anyone. That's why shows are a good setting, and having close friends that will keep your brain occupied. I over analyze a lot too, and have only had one bad trip.

faxman75
12-24-2009, 07:51 AM
Oh, i'm used to the plastic bottles being a different size. That makes sense then. If i'm drinking I usually get draft or shots.

amyzzz
12-24-2009, 07:53 AM
Psychedelics can be good therapy and help you clean out your mind. try to think about your personal issues ahead of time that you might want to work on while you're tripping.

Re: Marquee, maybe they just discriminate against guys because I hardly ever have to take off my shoes unless it's a hard rock show.

seandigi
12-24-2009, 07:58 AM
Oh, i'm used to the plastic bottles being a different size. That makes sense then. If i'm drinking I usually get draft or shots.

As do I! Usually a mixed drink, depending on the bar. Sometimes they water that shit down and you waste your money.

faxman75
12-24-2009, 07:58 AM
I have completed my purchase for two shows.

Phoenix
St. Vincent

seandigi
12-24-2009, 07:59 AM
Nice! Phoenix is going to be awesome.

seandigi
12-24-2009, 08:00 AM
Maybe your feet stink.

Dylanja, your sig of Amy's quote is too funny. Amy, did this ever happen?

Edit: The mescaline sig, that is.

locachica73
12-24-2009, 08:01 AM
Re: Marquee, maybe they just discriminate against guys because I hardly ever have to take off my shoes unless it's a hard rock show.

I really do believe this, I have yet to be searched going into coachella or any other place really, I mean they take the quick look through my purse but that is about it. I just don't look like a big party animal or anything, which is why I was able to sneak as much booze and other substances as I did to coachella. I look like a mom.

faxman75
12-24-2009, 08:05 AM
Has anyone heard CYMBALS EAT GUITARS? I see they are coming to the Rhythm Room in March and they were ranked in the top 5 of Woxy's top 97 list. I guess i'll check out youtube and download the album to see what I think.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4009/4188517031_24df5294eb_m.jpg

amyzzz
12-24-2009, 08:12 AM
I really do believe this, I have yet to be searched going into coachella or any other place really, I mean they take the quick look through my purse but that is about it. I just don't look like a big party animal or anything, which is why I was able to sneak as much booze and other substances as I did to coachella. I look like a mom.
It helps when I have my kids with me. HA. They won't search me or my kids. (They've been to Eisley there twice now).

amyzzz
12-24-2009, 08:14 AM
Dylanja, your sig of Amy's quote is too funny. Amy, did this ever happen?

Edit: The mescaline sig, that is.
No. No time unfortunately, since extracting mescaline takes a LOT of TIME. And there's too much holiday bustling this month. I haven't been to the Temple yet even sober, but we went a couple years ago lamenting that we had no acid (the acid supply seems to dry up after October here). Pretty lights.

westcoastpirate
12-24-2009, 08:23 AM
Who is going to Jeff Tweedy? Mark, Tom, Micah, Jason, me, my wife...anyone else? I suggest a meetup at Seamus McCaffreys or the Roosevelt. Not sure I'll be able to make the meetup though, I'm sure the last thing my pregnant naucious wife wants to do right now is walk into a booze, fried food and puke stenched bar.

amyzzz
12-24-2009, 08:25 AM
Keep her away from fried chicken restaurants, Tomas. The smell is just....ugh when one is pregnant.

captncrzy
12-24-2009, 08:27 AM
The smell of meat cooking on a grill used to make me sick.

faxman75
12-24-2009, 08:27 AM
Show starts at 8PM so if anyone wants to we can do 6PM at Seamus. Is Seamus walking distance to the Orpheum?

locachica73
12-24-2009, 08:36 AM
Who is going to Jeff Tweedy? Mark, Tom, Micah, Jason, me, my wife...anyone else? I suggest a meetup at Seamus McCaffreys or the Roosevelt. Not sure I'll be able to make the meetup though, I'm sure the last thing my pregnant naucious wife wants to do right now is walk into a booze, fried food and puke stenched bar.

Has she been very sick? I suffered for 6 months with my first child and none at all with my second. Vitamin B6 or B12, can't remember which, actually helps with the nauciousness. They would know at any health food store which it is though. Hopefully hers passes quickly.

westcoastpirate
12-24-2009, 08:36 AM
Seamus is crawling distance to the Orpheum. Seamus address:
18 W Monroe St

6pm Sunday

amyzzz
12-24-2009, 08:38 AM
Nausea, nauseous, nauseated, people.

westcoastpirate
12-24-2009, 08:41 AM
Has she been very sick? I suffered for 6 months with my first child and none at all with my second. Vitamin B6 or B12, can't remember which, actually helps with the nauciousness. They would know at any health food store which it is though. Hopefully hers passes quickly.

She is taking 2 prescriptions, I know 1 is Zofran which help a lot but is really expensive, about $400 for 20 pills. Luckily we only pay 30% with insurance but $120 per refill adds up.

locachica73
12-24-2009, 08:41 AM
Hey, i just followed his lead. I don't use big words for a reason. I prefer sick, sicker and sickest. :)

rskapcat
12-24-2009, 08:43 AM
And nauseous describes whatever is making you nauseated, not the sensation of nausea itself. :)

amyzzz
12-24-2009, 08:43 AM
She's taking drugs for the nausea? Yikes. I hope the rest of the pregnancy goes well for her. I actually loved being pregnant. I only had some issues near the end because I was carrying around such a load (my kids were both over 8 lbs at birth and overdue), and I had trouble with mexican food near the end which broke my heart.

locachica73
12-24-2009, 08:45 AM
She is taking 2 prescriptions, I know 1 is Zofran which help a lot but is really expensive, about $400 for 20 pills. Luckily we only pay 30% with insurance but $120 per refill adds up.

My doctor never mentioned that, although I had my daughter a long time ago so it might not have been available, plus I was in Oregon, they were all about the all natural meds up there. Fuckin tree huggers. :)

Although he did mention to me once after I lost 5lbs in a week from being so sick that he wasn't recommending it by any means but there was a substance that I could smoke or injest that would help me with my morning sickness, and as long as I didn't over do it everything would be fine. I never did do it though, I felt too guilty.

TomAz
12-24-2009, 08:55 AM
I have never had to take off my shoes at the Marquee and have been going to shows there since it opened.

amyzzz
12-24-2009, 08:56 AM
You're old, Tom.

TomAz
12-24-2009, 08:58 AM

I know what Mark looks like. I met Micah that one time, not sure I remember what he looks like except that he is skinny. The rest of you I have no clue.

So Mark, be there.

Gribbz
12-24-2009, 08:58 AM
Last time I was at the Marquee, I could hear the employees talking. "I CAN'T WAIT to throw somebody out tonight." "I know, let's go look around."

Oh well. Fuck it.

I never received my confirmation e-mail for Phoenix either.

amyzzz
12-24-2009, 09:05 AM
I got my confirmation email.

Gribbz
12-24-2009, 09:06 AM
I'm pretty sure everybody else did.

I have the confirmation # though.

Mr. Dylanja
12-24-2009, 09:06 AM
Amyzzz has confirmed.

When/where is St. Vincent?

westcoastpirate
12-24-2009, 09:25 AM
She's taking drugs for the nausea? Yikes. I hope the rest of the pregnancy goes well for her. I actually loved being pregnant. I only had some issues near the end because I was carrying around such a load (my kids were both over 8 lbs at birth and overdue), and I had trouble with mexican food near the end which broke my heart.

Both prescriptions were given by our OB and are safe to take when pregnant.

My doctor never mentioned that, although I had my daughter a long time ago so it might not have been available, plus I was in Oregon, they were all about the all natural meds up there. Fuckin tree huggers. :)

Although he did mention to me once after I lost 5lbs in a week from being so sick that he wasn't recommending it by any means but there was a substance that I could smoke or injest that would help me with my morning sickness, and as long as I didn't over do it everything would be fine. I never did do it though, I felt too guilty.

Trying to do this as natural as possible my wife is just having some extreme symptoms and was unable to work. But if you ever get pregnant again, which is a high probability with all the time you spend with Dylanja, I recommend Zofran for the nausea.

faxman75
12-24-2009, 09:28 AM
I know what Mark looks like. I met Micah that one time, not sure I remember what he looks like except that he is skinny. The rest of you I have no clue.

So Mark, be there.

Yep. I'll be with a bald jew and the rest of these idiots.

locachica73
12-24-2009, 09:28 AM
LOL... that is how rumors are spread. And for the record, I don't care how great Mr D is, NO BABIES FOR ME!!!!

I understand about the meds, I wish that had been an option for me back then. I lost over 50lbs in 6 months from being so sick and got hospitalized once for dehydration because I couldn't hold down water. It's a horrible feeling.

amyzzz
12-24-2009, 09:29 AM
he has potent sperm, does he?

faxman75
Amyzzz has confirmed.

When/where is St. Vincent?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2568/4131537028_7f7774776f_m.jpg

amyzzz
And I gained your 50 lbs, loca.

mountmccabe
12-24-2009, 09:34 AM
Has anyone heard CYMBALS EAT GUITARS? I see they are coming to the Rhythm Room in March and they were ranked in the top 5 of Woxy's top 97 list. I guess i'll check out youtube and download the album to see what I think.

I do not like Cymbals Eat Guitars - I find their music too derivative and too all over the place, etc - but I will be at that show to see the opener, Bear In Heaven.

Mr. Dylanja
12-24-2009, 09:46 AM
<---------------- :nono

amyzzz
12-24-2009, 09:56 AM
haha it's at the top of the page! Just wondering how Tomas knows this.

M Sparks
12-24-2009, 10:08 AM
haha it's at the top of the page! Just wondering how Tomas knows this.

That's how potent he is. He got TOMAS pregnant.

(Thru the interwebz.)

I always have to take my shoes off at the Marquee, but sometimes I get patted down by a cute girl instead of a big meathead, which is a nice change.

LooseAtTheZoo
12-24-2009, 10:44 AM

Go to see Bear in Heaven. Cymbals Eat Guitars are uber-mediocre

Mr. Dylanja
12-24-2009, 11:07 AM
Is "uber-mediocre" the same as "very decent"? Help me understand, guys.

sin213
12-24-2009, 11:09 AM
did you really use your 9,000th post to shake your head in disgust at yourself, D? lol

Alligator Bogaloo
12-24-2009, 11:15 AM
Puchased:

Sonic Youth ticket - $25.00, $3.00 fee, ticket #602, ticket color - purple.

Phoenix ticket - $25.00, $3.00 fee, ticket #181, ticket color - purple.

:)

Mr. Dylanja
12-24-2009, 11:17 AM
did you really use your 9,000th post to shake your head in disgust at yourself, D? lol

There's nothing NOT disgusting about it.

I keep hoping my work will block this site sooner or later, then maybe I can go back to being a productive employee.

Gribbz
12-24-2009, 11:17 AM
I'm still waiting for my conformation e-mail.

Mr. Dylanja
12-24-2009, 11:20 AM
I'm still waiting for Amy to get drunk.

sin213
12-24-2009, 11:20 AM
productivity is overrated.

and don't worry about your email, matt...as long as you got the confirmation number and you show it deducted from your account, you're good to go.

mountmccabe
12-24-2009, 11:31 AM
Puchased:

Mine is blue! And is #356. And had a $1 fee. Yay Stinkweeds.

amyzzz
12-24-2009, 11:31 AM
mine is will call :nono

Mr. Dylanja
12-24-2009, 11:36 AM
will call isn't a color, Amy.

amyzzz
12-24-2009, 11:37 AM
mine is clear :(

Gribbz
12-24-2009, 11:40 AM
I'm color blind. You racists.

westcoastpirate
12-24-2009, 12:14 PM
Fuck luckyman $3 service fee in-person, $6.50 online sheesh.

seandigi
12-24-2009, 12:16 PM
Sin,

You're going to Sasquatch in 2010? You animal! I need to make a trip to The Gorge at some point...

faxman75
12-24-2009, 12:27 PM
Do it this year.

amyzzz
12-24-2009, 12:28 PM
I want to go to Rothbury this year, and I will move mountains to do it.

seandigi
12-24-2009, 12:33 PM
Do it this year.

Being that close to Coach... It would depend on the line up. Even though I hear Pixies may play, and that would be an amazing place to see them for my first time. We'll see...

westcoastpirate
12-24-2009, 12:41 PM
I had one of the craziest weekends of my life at Sasquatch 07, you need to go.

amyzzz
12-24-2009, 12:44 PM
I'd try to go if my kid's birthday didn't always fall on that weekend and if it were easier to get time off around a national holiday. but alas.

sin213
12-24-2009, 01:07 PM
Sin,

You're going to Sasquatch in 2010? You animal! I need to make a trip to The Gorge at some point...

Do it this year.

yup. already got the early bird tix. i'm hopin for both pixies and fnm to be at that fest. either way though, it should be fun.

seandigi
12-24-2009, 01:10 PM
Oh really... I am really hopeing FNM is at Coach. But, Both would be amazing.

Gribbz
12-24-2009, 01:12 PM
Booo FNM. They should be there though.

M Sparks
12-24-2009, 02:08 PM
Is "uber-mediocre" the same as "very decent"? Help me understand, guys.

Sigged

westcoastpirate
12-24-2009, 02:17 PM
Jason,
How do I restore my pc to its factory settings? I'm getting a new laptop and want to give my old one to my little sister after I transfer all my data. I want her to start fresh and wipe all my data from the old computer. Do you know where I can find information or step by step instructions on how to do this?

LooseAtTheZoo
12-24-2009, 03:10 PM
Hey, so I'm in the market for a Tweedy ticket if an extra pops up anywhere. I'll be checking Craigslist up to Sunday night as well.

sin213
12-24-2009, 04:11 PM
Jason,
How do I restore my pc to its factory settings? I'm getting a new laptop and want to give my old one to my little sister after I transfer all my data. I want her to start fresh and wipe all my data from the old computer. Do you know where I can find information or step by step instructions on how to do this?

the easiest way to make sure the computer is virtually "clean" and back to factory settings would be to insert the OS install disc and when prompted to format the drive, do so, then install windows. that is..after you've backed up everything you need to your new machine.

there may be a "restore to factory settings" option on the machine too, if it came preformatted from some company like Dell. i've never used that though, so i'm not sure to what degree it wipes and resets everything.

westcoastpirate
12-24-2009, 05:30 PM
Thank you I have the OS install disks, was told it could take about 1 hour.

sin213
12-24-2009, 05:50 PM
maybe...i doubt it though. more like 30 mins, if you use default settings and quick format. and once you start it on its way after the initial few screens, it should be able to continue without you. so just set it and come back after 15 mins or so and check it...

seandigi
12-25-2009, 05:59 AM
Merry Christmas PHX!!!

mountmccabe
12-25-2009, 09:05 AM
Who is going to Jeff Tweedy? Mark, Tom, Micah, Jason, me, my wife...anyone else? I suggest a meetup at Seamus McCaffreys

Show starts at 8PM so if anyone wants to we can do 6PM at Seamus. Is Seamus walking distance to the Orpheum?

So Mark, be there.

I will be there and at the show. Woohoo!

Somewhat Damaged
12-25-2009, 09:11 AM
Puchased:

Phoenix ticket - $25.00, $3.00 fee, ticket #181, ticket color - purple.

:)

Tickets to shows at the Marquee come in different colors? Huh. Didn't realize that Sonic Youth show is so cheap. Going to have to pass all the same.

I'm still waiting for my conformation e-mail.

con⋅for⋅ma⋅tion
  /ˌkɒnfɔrˈmeɪʃən/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [kon-fawr-mey-shuhn] Show IPA
Use conformation in a Sentence
See web results for conformation
See images of conformation
–noun
1. manner of formation; structure; form, as of a physical entity.
2. symmetrical disposition or arrangement of parts.
3. the act or process of conforming; adaptation; adjustment.
4. the state of being conformed.
5. Chemistry. an atomic spatial arrangement that results from rotation of carbon atoms about single bonds within an organic molecule. (contrasted with configuration ).
Origin:
1505–15; < L confōrmātiōn- (s. of confōrmātiō), equiv. to confōrmāt(us) ptp. of confōrmāre to shape (con- con- + fōrm(a) form + -āt(us) -ate 1 ) + -iōn- -ion

I'm color blind. You racists.

Same here. We should start a support group.

I want to go to Rothbury this year, and I will move mountains to do it.

What's happening at Rothbury that you're anticipating it so hotly?

LooseAtTheZoo
12-25-2009, 10:32 AM

Did you already buy a ticket?

mountmccabe
12-25-2009, 01:20 PM
I just came by one this morning.

Alligator Bogaloo
12-25-2009, 06:14 PM
Micah are you going to drink wine, eat Chinese food, and go to the movies on Christmas day?

Most years I'm doing these things with my family in PHX. This year some of my gentile relatives invited me to come visit them for Christmas in Vegas, so I'm there right now.

In case you guys were wondering where all the Asians are, they're in Vegas with me.

Note to self: Invite all of the cute Asian girls to Coachella.

Merry Christmas to all my gentile Coachella board friends!

Seamus is crawling distance to the Orpheum. Seamus address:
18 W Monroe St

6pm Sunday

I'll be there to hang out before the show. Jason, will you be there too? If so, I can get my ticket from you then. If not, we can meet in front of the venue.

Mr. Dylanja
12-25-2009, 06:24 PM
Merry Christmas P-Town!

Happy Hanukah Micah!

Also, cute Asian girls are supposed to be invited any and EVERYWHERE.

seandigi
12-25-2009, 07:35 PM
Also, cute Asian girls are supposed to be invited any and EVERYWHERE.[/QUOTE]

This! Cute Asian girls can make any party better, any party.

sin213
12-26-2009, 08:48 AM
I'll be there to hang out before the show. Jason, will you be there too? If so, I can get my ticket from you then. If not, we can meet in front of the venue.

yeah, i'll be there. i suppose we could probably all carpool down too, since i have your's and mark's tix. mark, what time were you headin down?

Merry Christmas P-Town!

Happy Hanukah Micah!

Also, cute Asian girls are supposed to be invited any and EVERYWHERE.

This! Cute Asian girls can make any party better, any party.

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/WeirdOne22/JapaneseGirls.png

seandigi
12-26-2009, 09:43 AM
Yes, they are.

seandigi
12-26-2009, 11:24 AM

I just heard Bear In Heaven for the first time today. I think I am going to check this show out.

TomAz
12-27-2009, 05:07 AM

woohoo!

karma_guy
12-27-2009, 09:50 AM
I just heard Bear In Heaven for the first time today. I think I am going to check this show out.

i know there's no love for cymbals eat guitars in this thread
but i caught em this fall and was blown away by how GREAT they really are
here's one of their best songs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuP4y0Dfyyk

faxman75
12-27-2009, 12:54 PM
Jason isn't feeling well. I texted Gonsh but I don't know that I have his most current phone number. If anyone is interested in Jason's ticket, post in this thread.

Alligator Bogaloo
12-27-2009, 01:17 PM
Jason ate too much during Christmas. He's going to have a food baby. He should name it Dethklok. Edit: Lil' Dethklok.

westcoastpirate
12-27-2009, 01:21 PM
I may have an extra ticket as well, I will know for sure in about an hour. Row 11, but you have to sit with me.

TallGuyCM
12-27-2009, 01:34 PM
Have fun at the show tonight guys, wish I could make it! One of you PLEASE post a setlist when you get home, even if it's just a rough guess. Thanks!

westcoastpirate
12-27-2009, 01:45 PM
Have 1 ticket available for Jeff Tweedy tonight, Row 11. $32 let me know. PM me if interested.

EDIT-ticket taken.

sin213
12-27-2009, 01:56 PM
Jason isn't feeling well. I texted Gonsh but I don't know that I have his most current phone number. If anyone is interested in Jason's ticket, post in this thread.

thx mark. aaron took it. now i just need to figure out how to get the tix to you guys. i'm guessing i'll just need to come down for a min at 7 or so. the site says this though:

Will Call:
The day of performances, The Orpheum Theatre box office will open 1 hour before curtain for sales and/or will call. Customers must bring either their CONFIRMATION # OR a PHOTO ID to pick up WILL CALL tickets.

you think it would be safe to just have you print out the confirmation page and take it with you, mark?

Jason ate too much during Christmas. He's going to have a food baby. He should name it Dethklok. Edit: Lil' Dethklok.

lol...yeah, don't know what exactly it is, but i feel like crap right now and doubt i'll be awake past 8-9 with as little sleep as i got last night.

LooseAtTheZoo
12-27-2009, 04:14 PM
Looking forward to the show! I'm leaving for the Orpheum now.

TallGuyCM
12-27-2009, 09:32 PM
Alright phxers, show's over. Setlist please!!!

faxman75
12-27-2009, 09:42 PM
I posted the ones that immediately came to mind responding to you on facebook.

TomAz
12-28-2009, 07:00 AM
I didn't keep track of the setlist. sorry man.

going through the albums chronologically here's what I remember him playing

Acuff-Rose
Passenger Side
Sunken Treasure (I think this is what he opened with)
Someone Else's Song
A Shot in the Arm
How to Fight Loneliness
I Am Trying to Break Your Heart
Jesus Etc
Heavy Metal Drummer
I'm the Man Who Loves You
Spiders (Kidsmoke)
Muzzle of Bees
Hummingbird
Impossible Germany
Country Disappeared

I'm sure I skipped some.

faxman75
12-28-2009, 07:11 AM
In a Future Age
Bob Dylan's Beard
You and I

There were a good bunch of songs I wasn't very familiar with as well. Great show.

TomAz
12-28-2009, 07:23 AM
Oh I left off "Remember the Mountain Bed"

mountmccabe
12-28-2009, 07:25 AM
I just posted a short review in mountmccabe's shows thread (http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1470916#post1470916).

"Passenger Side" was probably my favorite of the night. "A Shot In The Arm" and "Jesus, Etc" are up there too.

faxman75
12-28-2009, 07:37 AM
I just posted the full setlist in the Wilco thread as well.

Jeff Tweedy
12-27-09
Phoenix, AZ
Orpheum Theater

1.Sunken Treasure
2.Remember The Mountain Bed
3.Please Tell My Brother
4.Hummingbird
5.Country Disappeared
6.Ruling Class
7.I Am Trying To Break Your Heart
8.Bob Dyaln's 49th Beard
9.You And I
10.Muzzle Of Bees
11.How To Fight Loneliness
12.Impossible Germany
13.In A Future Age
14.Passenger Side
15.So Much Wine (The Handsome Family)
16.Spiders
17.A Shot In The Arm
18.Heavy Metal Drummer
19.Jesus, Etc...
20.I'm The Man Who Loves You
21.Someone Else's Song (No P.A.)
22.Acuff-Rose (No P.A.)

sin213
12-28-2009, 07:42 AM
sounds like you all had a great time last night. glad it was fun.

next up - sonic youth!! :D

TomAz
12-28-2009, 08:00 AM
oh yeah I forgot he did that Handsome Family cover. and the Golden Smog song.

Alligator Bogaloo
12-28-2009, 09:26 AM
Had a blast last night. Good times hanging out at Seamus McCaffreys. It's too bad the waitress hated Mark so we all had to suffer. Ha! It was nice meeting Gonshman. He can sing harmonies to Wilco songs like no one else. Thanks again, Jason, for getting the tickets. Sonic Youth should be a blast. I loved hearing all the Wilco songs acoustically, they sounded awesome stripped down.

LooseAtTheZoo
12-28-2009, 09:41 AM
Last night was a perfect way to end my concert-going year. Tweedy had fantastic stage banter and the songs sounded great and unique in the arrangements for acoustic guitar. Standouts for me were Shot In The Arm, Hummingbird, and Jesus, Etc.

Now, it's time to wait and see when the bootleg comes up.

John, I noticed you were wearing a Budget Sinatra shirt. Were you at that Trunk Space show on Saturday? My friends in Chinacat Sunflower played then as well.

Nice to meet you Micah, and good to see everyone else again.

westcoastpirate
12-28-2009, 10:05 AM
Tomaz, were you wearing a Fitzgerald jersey with a hoodie underneath? I saw a swarmy looking bastard wearing one.

Yeah when Tweedy does songs without the PA, you don't need to sing along lady behind me, Jeff Tweedy sings better.

TomAz
12-28-2009, 10:40 AM
yes that was me. swarmy?

amyzzz
12-28-2009, 10:41 AM
I'm hoping he means smarmy.

TomAz
12-28-2009, 10:42 AM
I'm hoping he means fuck you amy.

amyzzz
12-28-2009, 10:44 AM
Or maybe spermy.

TomAz
12-28-2009, 10:45 AM
Now you're in brokendoll land.

amyzzz
12-28-2009, 10:46 AM
:nono

TomAz
12-28-2009, 10:47 AM
clever comeback.

amyzzz
12-28-2009, 10:48 AM
Better than an ms paint representation.

TomAz
12-28-2009, 10:49 AM
I'd call it a draw.

edit: no pun intended.

faxman75
12-28-2009, 10:59 AM
Yeah when Tweedy does songs without the PA, you don't need to sing along lady behind me, Jeff Tweedy sings better.

If I recall correctly Jeff was encouraging the audience to sing along late in the show. I'm not one that normally sings but the sing along for Jesus Etc. was pretty damn cool as well.

westcoastpirate
12-28-2009, 11:22 AM
This was during the final song with no PA, he only encouraged singing along to Jesus Etc. Other than that incredible show.

Swarmy:
a sleazy, sneaky, sweaty, unscrupulous person.

mountmccabe
12-28-2009, 11:23 AM
Now, it's time to wait and see when the bootleg comes up.

Did y'all see the mic stand the guy across the aisle from me had?

It was good to wave at you, Aaron. For how long are you back in Phoenix?

John, I noticed you were wearing a Budget Sinatra shirt. Were you at that Trunk Space show on Saturday? My friends in Chinacat Sunflower played then as well.

I did! It was so good to see them again. It had been almost four years!

That was a crazy night. It included the Cullens - a Twilight novelty band fronted by Ryan from Hi My Name Is Ryan!/Father's Day with songs such as "Edward Stopped the Van" and "I Like To Watch You Sleep" - and Jaime J - who sang along to instrumental New Order tracks, getting everybody dancing - and Uncle Sku's Clubhouse - an extended skit of a twisted Mr Rogers type show.

Chinacat Sunflower were quite intruiging. There was good screaming and good vocal contrasts - both within the male vocals and between the male and female vocals - but I think neither of these were really used advantageously. I'd really like to see how they develop.

TomAz
12-28-2009, 11:25 AM
Swarmy:
a sleazy, sneaky, sweaty, unscrupulous person.

I wasn't sweaty.

westcoastpirate
12-28-2009, 11:44 AM
Hahaha, just kidding

westcoastpirate
12-28-2009, 12:08 PM
Hahaha, and it was smarmy this whole time:

i have no idea what i'll be wearing.

I look a little bit like this smarmy asswipe:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/TomAz/Alaska046.jpg

anyway I'm in Section 3, row 19, seat 9

LooseAtTheZoo
12-28-2009, 01:10 PM
Did y'all see the mic stand the guy across the aisle from me had?

It was good to wave at you, Aaron. For how long are you back in Phoenix?

I did! It was so good to see them again. It had been almost four years!

That was a crazy night. It included the Cullens - a Twilight novelty band fronted by Ryan from Hi My Name Is Ryan!/Father's Day with songs such as "Edward Stopped the Van" and "I Like To Watch You Sleep" - and Jaime J - who sang along to instrumental New Order tracks, getting everybody dancing - and Uncle Sku's Clubhouse - an extended skit of a twisted Mr Rogers type show.

Chinacat Sunflower were quite intruiging. There was good screaming and good vocal contrasts - both within the male vocals and between the male and female vocals - but I think neither of these were really used advantageously. I'd really like to see how they develop.

I'm back until the 17th. Hopefully Iill be at the Marquee Sonic Youth show.

As for Chinacat Sunflower, they were playing some fairly new material which was pretty different than from what he's been writing in the past. I got there in the middle of the first song and was a little surprised, but thought they still sounded pretty good.

Also, they sound different/improved with a real drummer, and the original drummer was still out of town.

mountmccabe
12-28-2009, 01:28 PM
Huh, didn't know you were there. Such a big place, though, it's easy to miss people.

I'll be at that Sonic Youth show; got my ticket about a week ago.

faxman75
12-28-2009, 01:40 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/music/articles/2009/12/28/20091228tweedyrevu.html

The AZ Central review.

LooseAtTheZoo
12-28-2009, 01:56 PM
Huh, didn't know you were there. Such a big place, though, it's easy to miss people.

I'll be at that Sonic Youth show; got my ticket about a week ago.

If you watched all of Chinacat, I was the Aaron that he called out. Whatever.

I'm probably going to scour Craigslist for my Sonic Youth ticket.

mountmccabe
12-28-2009, 02:20 PM
If you watched all of Chinacat, I was the Aaron that he called out. Whatever.

Haha, nice.

I think I missed their first song or two. I don't recall any shout outs, sadly. I was in the back straining to see/trying to figure out what I was hearing.

Were you there for more than just their set?

Also is the SY show sold out? Stinkweeds seemed to have a good number of tickets left when I got mine. With the date change, though, it's entirely reasonable to expect there'll be tickets on Craigslist and such, though. I dind't think of that.

faxman75
12-28-2009, 02:30 PM
No, Sonic Youth is not sold out. They are still available on luckyman as well.

In fact they are cheaper on CL. 2 for $40?

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/tix/1501253988.html

sin213
12-28-2009, 02:57 PM
probably trying to sell tix by offering cheaper, since it isn't sold out.

why would you mess around with possible fake tix or spend the time to pick up from someone at same price or higher, when you can get at the box office quick and easy without the headache and worry.

Mr. Dylanja
12-28-2009, 02:58 PM
Judging by this thread, the box office provides both headache and worry to most.

sin213
12-28-2009, 03:00 PM
lol..perhaps

i'm going to be very sad if it is empty in there for sonic youth. if so, it'll just be another example of why Phoenix gets SHIT for shows...

westcoastpirate
12-28-2009, 03:55 PM
I'll be at Sonic Youth.

faxman75
12-28-2009, 04:23 PM
I like Sonic Youth and i've seen them live. My favorite album of theirs is "dirty" and they usually don't play a damn thing off of it.

LooseAtTheZoo
12-28-2009, 06:45 PM
Haha, nice.

I think I missed their first song or two. I don't recall any shout outs, sadly. I was in the back straining to see/trying to figure out what I was hearing.

Were you there for more than just their set?

Also is the SY show sold out? Stinkweeds seemed to have a good number of tickets left when I got mine. With the date change, though, it's entirely reasonable to expect there'll be tickets on Craigslist and such, though. I dind't think of that.

Only for their set, unfortunately.

sddoctor
12-28-2009, 10:46 PM
Jeff Tweedy was amazing. A great way to end the Christmas weekend.

westcoastpirate
12-29-2009, 07:03 AM
Dylanja, I just noticed your location; The Nix...nice.

amyzzz
12-29-2009, 07:37 AM
I like Sonic Youth and i've seen them live. My favorite album of theirs is "dirty" and they usually don't play a damn thing off of it.
Oh..well...I guess I won't go.

faxman75
12-29-2009, 08:52 AM
Do you like that album as well Amy?

100%
Nic Fit
Youth Against Facism
Swimsuit Issue
Drunken Butterfly

All fantastic. I never explored much outside of Dirty though i've heard nothing but great things about daydream nation and murray street. I may not have given them enough spins but i've heard them both. I had Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star but never really liked that album outside of the single.

mountmccabe
12-29-2009, 09:09 AM
They played "Drunken Butterfly" and "Sugar Kane" at Coachella in 2003, "Drunken Butterfly" at the Marquee in 2004 and "100%" at Coachella in 2007. But, yeah, one should not expect much if anything from Dirty.

Dirty is an odd, atypical album for them. It is probably them at their most polished, most concise. Which is not to suggest that it is actually polished or concise.

TomAz
12-29-2009, 09:15 AM
Mark, take my advice and listen to Daydream Nation as many times as possible between now and Jan 5. You will thank me for it.

faxman75
12-29-2009, 09:16 AM
This is probably why I found it so accessible. I remember not enjoying their Lollapalooza 95' set very much.

faxman75
12-29-2009, 09:17 AM
Mark, take my advice and listen to Daydream Nation as many times as possible between now and Jan 5. You will thank me for it.

I can do that. I'll let you know if I have changed my opinion. It's been years since i've given it a chance.

westcoastpirate
12-29-2009, 09:31 AM
BULL IN THE HEATHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

amyzzz
12-29-2009, 09:50 AM
Oh NM, was thinking of 100%. I don't really listen to this band. I think I mailed Erik the only album I ever owned by them a year or two ago.

Mr. Dylanja
12-29-2009, 03:17 PM
What was the best show at The Marquee Theatre in 2009?

My vote goes to Karen O and Co.

amyzzz
12-29-2009, 03:18 PM
1. NIN - Wiltern
2. Tool - US Airways
3. The Crystal Method - Marquee Theatre
4. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Marquee Theatre
5. Ghostland Observatory - Rialto
:nono

Mr. Dylanja
12-29-2009, 03:23 PM
LOL, BUSTED!

That list is BS anyways, Amy, I put Tool on there by default.

Alligator Bogaloo
12-29-2009, 03:23 PM

I concur...

mountmccabe
12-29-2009, 03:46 PM

My complete ranking of the shows I saw at the Marquee in 2009:

1. Yo La Tengo/Endless Boogie, October 14

M Sparks
12-29-2009, 05:31 PM
So was there ever any consensus as to any New Years Eve events that might suck less than others?

Gribbz
12-29-2009, 05:32 PM
I'm going to San Diego tomorrow for The Holiday Bowl. Might check out Sonic Youth while I'm there. Party.

mountmccabe
12-29-2009, 06:37 PM
Have a great time! Wish I was going, too!

westcoastpirate
12-29-2009, 07:32 PM

I agree.

seandigi
12-29-2009, 07:54 PM

Either pre Coachella Mastodon or pre Coachella Atmosphere, both shows were full of energy from the bands. Crystal Method was money too... Now trying to think of shows at Marquee I attended this year.

menikmati
12-29-2009, 08:34 PM
Oh NM, was thinking of 100%. I don't really listen to this band. I think I mailed Erik the only album I ever owned by them a year or two ago.

Yes you did, "Made in USA", clear vinyl and still sealed!

locachica73
12-30-2009, 06:14 AM
So was there ever any consensus as to any New Years Eve events that might suck less than others?

I plan on going to the same bar and hanging out with the same people drinking the same beer and listenening to the same shitty band. At least it won't be the sweaty spandex wearing guys. The highlight of the night will be when they sing Crazy Bitch twice and all the drunk bitches get up and try to prove who is the craziest of the crazy bitches. But at least I will be a mile from home (that is what I keep telling myself).

M Sparks
12-30-2009, 06:35 AM
That hardly sounds like a consensus.

I don't think there IS a bar within a mile of my home.

locachica73
12-30-2009, 06:37 AM
I always miss those key words. Sorry. Not a consensus, just me whining.

M Sparks
12-30-2009, 06:43 AM
I think you missed the "suck less" part too. At least I hope you did.

I think I will actually miss the stupid Pine Cone Drop in Flagstaff this year. 5 or 10,000 people jamming onto one city block in 5 degree weather, all fully aware of how how pointless it is, but not caring. It was nice.

locachica73
12-30-2009, 06:49 AM
Actually it will probably be one of my better NYE's. But they normally suck A LOT!!! At least this year I won't be the only single chick hanging out with a bunch of married people who all start making out at new years while I wash the dishes and clean up the vomit because they don't know how to hold their liquor.

TomAz
12-30-2009, 06:56 AM
Clearly they haven't been married very long.

faxman75
12-30-2009, 06:58 AM
I'm in the middle of "The Sprawl" on Daydream Nation. I'm really enjoying this album so far. It's not nearly as noisy as I remember it. I thought it was filled with that Lou Reed fueled distortion. Over the past few years I have really opened up to music I used to dismiss after only a short listen.

locachica73
12-30-2009, 07:02 AM
Clearly they haven't been married very long.

Clearly.

TomAz
12-30-2009, 07:14 AM
If they were really your friends they'd've let you make out with them.

locachica73
12-30-2009, 07:17 AM
Actually there were always a couple "couples" that seemed to be a little more experimental or bored with thier spouses that would at least give me a little tongue or a good pat on the ass at some point throughout the night, usually the wives though. I apparently give off a vibe, unintentionally of course.

M Sparks
12-30-2009, 07:31 AM
(tiptoeing away from this topic...)

amyzzz
12-30-2009, 07:33 AM
I don't know if I've had enough time to digest it yet, but I think I liked Nitzer Ebb the best of the Marquee shows I saw this year.

(I also saw Deadmau5, Eisley, and Crystal Method).

locachica73
12-30-2009, 07:34 AM
sorry, cold meds are kicking in, I am not responsible for anything my fingers type.

Alligator Bogaloo
12-30-2009, 10:15 AM
I have a feeling that a 300 lb. DT named Ndamukong Suh will be killing some wildcats in the Holiday Bowl tonight.

TomAz
12-30-2009, 10:31 AM
Fdklai Jak will also play well.

Alligator Bogaloo
12-30-2009, 11:08 AM
:lool

Alligator Bogaloo
12-30-2009, 06:31 PM
I'd like to request Munchausen By Proxy for Coachella 2010.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FwYEuYP_sjY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FwYEuYP_sjY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3DbaJgSkDVg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3DbaJgSkDVg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0JGXRDB5vyM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0JGXRDB5vyM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

M Sparks
12-30-2009, 07:46 PM
I'd like to request Munchausen By Proxy for Coachella 2010.

Hmmm...seems like the songs in the movie were way more fucked up than these. (Except I think the Sweet Ballad was in there.)

It's touches like this that make mediocre movies watchable.

Gribbz
01-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Dylan will love this article.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2010/01/01/where-we-live-clubhouse-music-venue-tempe-az/

westcoastpirate
01-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Dylan will love this article.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2010/01/01/where-we-live-clubhouse-music-venue-tempe-az/

Who would write that the Clubhouse...
it’s a wondrous thing that we have an East Coast-style venue that is more about the DIY energy and chaos and unconventionality of music than a guiding hand that is a promotions company bogging down the experience.

Yeah, whenever I go to the clubhouse I think of CDBGs.

Mr. Dylanja
01-01-2010, 01:41 PM
Chris Coplan = zero credibility

sin213
01-01-2010, 03:50 PM
lol

that comment at the end of the article has to be from one of you guys...

that place is a shithole. i remember once that a headliner was delayed coming on because the bathroom in the venue had overflowed and was running out into the main area by the stage (sometimes is just an underage area up by stage). it was nasty. plus, if you're in the back half of the venue, you have to look thru the bar to see the stage, which is dumb. probably the worst venue in the state.

TomAz
01-01-2010, 04:08 PM
I've seen some of the best music of my life in shitholes. Just sayin'.

amyzzz
01-01-2010, 05:40 PM
I saw two excellent shows there myself: Ladytron/cansei de ser sexy and Snow Patrol.

captncrzy
01-01-2010, 08:56 PM
lol

that comment at the end of the article has to be from one of you guys...

doot do do doot doot de doot...

seandigi
01-02-2010, 09:08 AM
The Clubhouse is truly a shit hole.

M Sparks
01-02-2010, 09:55 AM
I haven't been to the Clubhouse yet (unless I was there under another name), but it seems every small show I've ever seen in Phoenix back in the day was a shithole. I'm sure now that I'm living here I will make it to a lot of the smaller venues. But is this place really any worse than the Grind, the Nile Theater, the Atomic Cafe, Party Gardens, the Mason Jar, Gibsons (OK, that was actually kind of cool), Bostons, etc?

I do miss The Roxy though, and Electric Ballroom wasn't bad...

captncrzy
01-02-2010, 11:31 AM
Aw man, I miss Gibsons. Electric Ballroom and Edcels Attic were great too. It's about on par with the Mason Jar in my opinion. The Mason Jar is now a lesbian bar, btw.

sin213
01-02-2010, 11:38 AM
I haven't been to the Clubhouse yet (unless I was there under another name), but it seems every small show I've ever seen in Phoenix back in the day was a shithole. I'm sure now that I'm living here I will make it to a lot of the smaller venues. But is this place really any worse than the Grind, the Nile Theater, the Atomic Cafe, Party Gardens, the Mason Jar, Gibsons (OK, that was actually kind of cool), Bostons, etc?

its way worse than Nile, Gibsons, Bostons. Mason Jar, like jen said, may have been about the same. except mason jar had pretty good sight lines except for that one pillar on the front right side of the stage. they were all small venues, but not horrible. i've seen some cool shows at the Clubhouse, but i would have paid more to been able to see it at a better venue.

Aw man, I miss Gibsons. Electric Ballroom and Edcels Attic were great too. It's about on par with the Mason Jar in my opinion. The Mason Jar is now a lesbian bar, btw.

electric ballroom was pimp.

cubrocker
01-02-2010, 11:45 AM
i hate the clubhouse- although i remember before the expanded and it was small- like the size of my living room. saw the Jealous Sound there- smaller than Modified even! After the expansion i saw a few good shows there too.

the thing about the clubhouse thats AWFUL is the douchey staff!!

My first show ever was at The Nile- ahhh old times. The Mason Jar was rad too. Old Brickhouse too, and the Paper Heart and The Phix, and of course Nita's Hideaway (the old Nita's AND the one that got built in a Black Angus hahaha)

sin213
01-02-2010, 11:47 AM
ahhh...the brickhouse. it was a narrow and long venue, so you had to get there semi early to stake out a spot up front, but it had decent sound. plus the bartenders there were WICKED COOL. i remember many a time that i'd order a crown and coke and the dude would pour straight crown in a tall glass while laughing, then spritz it with coke. there were many a time where my friends debit card was left there cause we were too fucked up to remember to grab it. lol.

righteousdnk
01-02-2010, 11:49 AM
As much as I hate the Clubhouse I've seen a few great shows there (Rx Bandits, Suicide Machines, Del). But for me to go to anything at the Clubhouse anymore is so rare. Being under 21 in that place is not a fun experience.

righteousdnk
01-02-2010, 11:57 AM
i hate the clubhouse- although i remember before the expanded and it was small- like the size of my living room. saw the Jealous Sound there- smaller than Modified even! After the expansion i saw a few good shows there too.

the thing about the clubhouse thats AWFUL is the douchey staff!!

My first show ever was at The Nile- ahhh old times. The Mason Jar was rad too. Old Brickhouse too, and the Paper Heart and The Phix, and of course Nita's Hideaway (the old Nita's AND the one that got built in a Black Angus hahaha)

It was so strange how they used to have that set up with the couches on the side.

I was always too young to go to anything at Nita's Hideaway but the first show I ever went to was at the Brickhouse. Even though all I ever saw at The Mason Jar, and the art galleries on Grand and Roosevelt were ska and hardcore shows, they were fun. I spent the majority of my middle and high school years going to those venues a couple nights a week.

cubrocker
01-02-2010, 12:01 PM
It was so strange how they used to have that set up with the couches on the side.

I was always too young to go to anything at Nita's Hideaway but the first show I ever went to was at the Brickhouse. Even though all I ever saw at The Mason Jar, and the art galleries on Grand and Roosevelt were ska and hardcore shows, they were fun. I spent the majority of my middle and high school years going to those venues a couple nights a week.

probably not too young to have gone to Nitas then- im almost 23.... mason jar closed before Nita's did, im pretty sure.

yeah the downtown galleries were lotsa fun hardcore/ska/other weird shit- even my crappy band played at them sometimes. Oh and i left out 4 White Walls and the Trunk Space

M Sparks
01-02-2010, 12:37 PM
except mason jar had pretty good sight lines except for that one pillar on the front right side of the stage.

The ceiling was so low! I saw Jarad Louche hit his head on a beam just trying to stand on a monitor.

Electric Ballroom was pretty cool except the bathrooms were always horrifying.

mountmccabe
01-02-2010, 01:07 PM
That article was hilarious. It sounds like the writer was trying really hard to come up with something, with some way to make the place look good. The "each decision was wholly organic" and "there are no divisions" and "no one ever bothers [to go outside for air]" were mind bogglingly funny.

The guy's perspective if clearly very different from mine, as evidenced by the "tiny little Clubhouse" comment.

About the best I can say is that I've been to a lot of great shows there. And that I'd rather see a show at the Clubhouse than most any of the larger venues in Phoenix Metro.

seandigi
01-02-2010, 02:53 PM

Club house is worse than all of the above venues. The sound is pretty awful in there too.

seandigi
01-02-2010, 02:55 PM
ahhh...the brickhouse. it was a narrow and long venue, so you had to get there semi early to stake out a spot up front, but it had decent sound. plus the bartenders there were WICKED COOL. i remember many a time that i'd order a crown and coke and the dude would pour straight crown in a tall glass while laughing, then spritz it with coke. there were many a time where my friends debit card was left there cause we were too fucked up to remember to grab it. lol.

I kinda liked that venue too. You could see the stage perfect from the 21+ side. The sound was a bit off at some shows though.

faxman75
01-02-2010, 04:22 PM
I was at the Brickhouse a couple of times and I didn't mind it though they also had a bathroom overflow issue that turned into a 2 hour delay for a band. Good sound there though.

I remember when you would walk into the Clubhouse and the bar would be on the right, the stage in the back left corner and it was pretty wide open. The only issue was the sound but honestly, it was a more enjoyable experience. I've been going to that venue since 02' or 03'. I go to less than a show a year there at this point and the last time was about a year and a half ago. I saw local H there and it sounded like shit. There were only about 50 people there to see it, I felt bad for the band. They aren't so bad.

cubrocker
01-02-2010, 04:53 PM
only good show i ever saw at the club house was the Blood Brothers (but they sounded better at both Mason Jar ...where i think they were banned from for hanging on pipes... and of course Old Brickhouse!! which was awesome)

westcoastpirate
01-02-2010, 04:54 PM
I saw one of the best hip hop shows of my life at Electric Ballroom, Fugees with the Roots opening for $7.

I saw so many shows at Nita's Hideaway (old location off Rio Salado), it was great when they would have big shows and close off the parking lot and put a stage in the back.

Speaking of old venues, does anyone remember BOSTONS just north of the 202 on McClintock?! Loved that place!

...and remember when the Venue of Scottsdale used to be called the Cajun House? They hosted some good shows too. I saw DJ Shadow play there and Jurassic 5 there a couple times.

Does anyone remember when they would have small shows in the basement of the Nile?

cubrocker
01-02-2010, 05:20 PM
Nile basement was my first show! i remember being like 13 and being freaked out by the mural on the wall of the zombie lady and the dead baby coming out of her bloody woom- and i think the umbilical cord spelled out something?

westcoastpirate
01-02-2010, 05:29 PM
I don't know what it spelled out.

But I do remember going to some early shows in the attic of the Nile. They then moved shows to the 1st level, and they used to sell alcohol. When they got bigger they took the attic out and made it into one gigantic room. Man that was a crazy place. The owner will go down as one of the biggest pricks in the AZ music scene.

amyzzz
01-02-2010, 06:04 PM
I saw Radiohead at the Nile with my 5 year old nephew.

Grant
01-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Talk about an awesome first concert... Or at least I am assuming it was his first concert?

TomAz
01-02-2010, 06:33 PM
the old Nita's has many many special memories for me. That place was such a bizarre little dive and yet so awesome. I saw Whiskeytown there. Nico Case. but the most memorable was a Victoria Williams show where she came out beforehand and was just hanging out talking to people, and Mark Olson was just hanging out too, and I'm like holy shit that's Mark Olson, and then I saw him introduce himself to Howe Gelb. "Howe! hi I'm Mark" no shit.

faxman75
01-02-2010, 06:43 PM
Tom, was that the terrible Neko Case concert where she argued with the sound guy in between every song? That was frustrating to watch. She was much better a year or so later when she played the new Nita's opening up for Calexico. That would have been my first Calexico concert had I not left after Neko.

M Sparks
01-02-2010, 06:48 PM
Speaking of old venues, does anyone remember BOSTONS just north of the 202 on McClintock?! Loved that place!

...and remember when the Venue of Scottsdale used to be called the Cajun House? They hosted some good shows too. I saw DJ Shadow play there and Jurassic 5 there a couple times.

Does anyone remember when they would have small shows in the basement of the Nile?

Boston's was weird...they had that double stage set up, and sometimes you could watch shows from behind the stage.

Cajun House had that window frame between the bar on the side and the stage...I went once and grabbed a seat at the bar that looked right onto the stage with no one in front of me. But during the opener, Mr Bill Fucking Rieflin himself came out from backstage, hopped up into the window frame, and blocked my view completely.

The Nile felt like a basement as is, can't imagine what the actual basement must have been like.

sin213
01-02-2010, 08:18 PM
I saw one of the best hip hop shows of my life at Electric Ballroom, Fugees with the Roots opening for $7.

I saw so many shows at Nita's Hideaway (old location off Rio Salado), it was great when they would have big shows and close off the parking lot and put a stage in the back.

wow. fugees with roots would have been BOMB at Electric Ballroom. i wasn't as into shows back then...or didn't have the money is better to say...

bostons was one of my regulars back in the day. saw many a great band play there...and many a shitty one. lol

Boston's was weird...they had that double stage set up, and sometimes you could watch shows from behind the stage.

Cajun House had that window frame between the bar on the side and the stage...I went once and grabbed a seat at the bar that looked right onto the stage with no one in front of me. But during the opener, Mr Bill Fucking Rieflin himself came out from backstage, hopped up into the window frame, and blocked my view completely.

The Nile felt like a basement as is, can't imagine what the actual basement must have been like.

and cajun house was ok. i hated how 1/3 of the available space is back in those side areas, too. you couldn't see much at all if you weren't at the window and even then it could be a bad view.

i saw Vision of Disorder in the basement at the Nile. that was a fucking intense show! that basement was so small and hot...the pit in there was intense. :D

seandigi
01-03-2010, 06:30 AM

I remember both Bostons and the Nile Basement. I have seen tons of great shows at both.

seandigi
01-03-2010, 06:33 AM
wow. fugees with roots would have been BOMB at Electric Ballroom. i wasn't as into shows back then...or didn't have the money is better to say...

bostons was one of my regulars back in the day. saw many a great band play there...and many a shitty one. lol

and cajun house was ok. i hated how 1/3 of the available space is back in those side areas, too. you couldn't see much at all if you weren't at the window and even then it could be a bad view.

i saw Vision of Disorder in the basement at the Nile. that was a fucking intense show! that basement was so small and hot...the pit in there was intense. :D

You saw that VOD show? I was like 15 when that show happened. I remember wanting to go, but didn't have a ride. Sin, I think you have literally been to almost every show I have been to. With the small exception of a few.

Alligator Bogaloo
01-03-2010, 11:15 AM
http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=118&pictureid=1351

I want this poster. Now... Not on Jan. 5th. Now...

Only two more days! Youths of sonic rejoice!

sin213
01-03-2010, 01:17 PM
You saw that VOD show? I was like 15 when that show happened. I remember wanting to go, but didn't have a ride. Sin, I think you have literally been to almost every show I have been to. With the small exception of a few.

yeah, i was still in high school at the time. great show. and yes, we literally have been at the same shows for the last 15 years, with a very small few different. its really weird that we've never met til now...lol.

westcoastpirate
01-03-2010, 01:19 PM

That is an awesome poster, I am definitely buying one at the show and getting it framed.

LooseAtTheZoo
01-03-2010, 03:38 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions for places to roadtrip? It can be anywhere as long as it's less than 15 hours driving distance one way.

Mr. Dylanja
01-03-2010, 03:45 PM
Telluride, CO
http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/wximagenew/c/ColoradoMorningStar/35.jpg

karma_guy
01-03-2010, 03:46 PM

hope the rialto show has something close to as cool as this poster is

M Sparks
01-04-2010, 05:26 AM
Hmmmm...I guess I should go to Sonic Youth. In 1990, I was driving to Vegas with someone listening to a mix tape. Something from Daydream Nation came on, and my friend said "I've never been that into Sonic Youth but I'd like to see them live sometime." Five minutes later, we drove past a club in Henderson that said "TONIGHT: SONIC YOUTH!" For some reason, we didn't go.

I still have never seen them, though in '07 I parked myself near one of the art things for a bit and heard a few songs before I went to the mainstage, but that's it.

I'm liking this whole not-having-to-plan-for-shows-a-month-in-advance-because-I-live-near-the-city thing.

faxman75
01-04-2010, 05:51 AM
Does anyone have any suggestions for places to roadtrip? It can be anywhere as long as it's less than 15 hours driving distance one way.

San Francisco.

gaypalmsprings
01-04-2010, 05:57 AM
April 10 - Phoenix - NASCAR, baby! The countdown begins....

http://www.racingwest.com/images/news/06/logo_pir.gif

captncrzy
01-04-2010, 05:58 AM

Drive up the PCH to Napa.

M Sparks
01-04-2010, 06:00 AM

http://www.3rednecktenors.com/images/nasca_.jpg

downingthief
01-04-2010, 06:02 AM

I miss all the old venues. I played at pretty much all of them, and saw some great bands. Good times!

Anyone going to the Fiesta Bowl?

TomAz
01-04-2010, 06:02 AM

http://www.racingwest.com/images/news/06/logo_pir.gif

does this mean you'll be at coachella this year?

captncrzy
01-04-2010, 06:26 AM
I miss all the old venues. I played at pretty much all of them, and saw some great bands. Good times!

Anyone going to the Fiesta Bowl?

Brandon is. I'll be sitting in the shitty traffic the Fiesta Bowl creates on my way home.

downingthief
01-04-2010, 06:29 AM
Brandon is. I'll be sitting in the shitty traffic the Fiesta Bowl creates on my way home.

Nice. I scored a last minute ticket with my Father in Law.

captncrzy
01-04-2010, 06:39 AM
Oh, fun. Have fun! Please don't tie me up on the freeway. Kthx..

TomAz
01-04-2010, 06:41 AM
Where would you prefer he tie you up?

captncrzy
01-04-2010, 06:51 AM
Oh, Tom. You devil.

locachica73
01-04-2010, 06:51 AM
OK, I am slightly football stupid (but trying to learn) is the Fiesta Bowl in Tempe or out in Glendale? This will determine which route I take home in order to get my daughter to the doc on time.

downingthief
01-04-2010, 06:58 AM
OK, I am slightly football stupid (but trying to learn) is the Fiesta Bowl in Tempe or out in Glendale? This will determine which route I take home in order to get my daughter to the doc on time.

It's in Glendale. It used to be in Tempe.

locachica73
01-04-2010, 07:03 AM
ok good, i work in tempe and remember getting stuck in that traffic a few years ago when we had monday night football in Tempe. It took 2 hours to get home. at least I will only get a small portion of it while trying to get to the 51.

karma_guy
01-04-2010, 08:59 AM
hey kids, phx shows go as thus:

Tuesday, April 13th, 2010
VAMPIRE WEEKEND
7:00 doors
Marquee Theatre
$25 adv. / $27 day of
All Ages

Monday, April 19th, 2010
JAPANDROIDS
7:30 doors / 8:00 showtime
The Trunk Space
$12 adv.
All Ages

mountmccabe
01-04-2010, 09:16 AM
Does that suggest Coachella for both? Has this already been covered?

Also, WOOHOO JAPANDROIDS at the Trunk Space!!!