PDA

View Full Version : The Phoenix Thread!

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88

chairmenmeow47
02-28-2008, 07:21 AM
can't wait to get my tickets tomorrow! i'm glad they're finally going on sale, i was nervous the show would cancel. it's a couple of days after my birthday too :)

downingthief
02-28-2008, 08:07 AM
Hoping to get tix as well. Seeing them at Dodge would be sweet. Much better than Cricket!

chairmenmeow47
02-28-2008, 08:13 AM
Hoping to get tix as well. Seeing them at Dodge would be sweet. Much better than Cricket!

i have the exact opposite point of view, lol. i loved the curiosa festival at cricket. it was a beautiful performance.

i hate the dodge though. it's like someone put a giant mute on the stage. not only for the sound, but the overall energy in the place. it just feels dead. but i will be there since it's the cure :)

hi btw!!!

downingthief
02-28-2008, 08:27 AM
Oh, don't get me wrong...I thouroghly enjoyed the Curiosa festival. I just meant the Dodge would be a more "intimate" setting.

And, Hi back!

phxunderground
02-28-2008, 08:40 AM
Hey, I'm planning on buying a couple of tickets to the Cure show tomorrow. Yet, I've never seen any shows at the Dodge. Since this is a smaller venue is any seat good, or should we try to get seats closer to the stage?

chairmenmeow47
02-28-2008, 09:58 AM
Hey, I'm planning on buying a couple of tickets to the Cure show tomorrow. Yet, I've never seen any shows at the Dodge. Since this is a smaller venue is any seat good, or should we try to get seats closer to the stage?

i'd just try to keep yourself centered. picture the stage as a giant wall and then in the center there's a cut-out box for the stage. it can kinda suck to be on the sides, but the seating doesn't go too far back.

denies the day
02-28-2008, 06:54 PM
I'm gonna try to cop some Cure tickets tomorrow although I've seen them so many times I may not put that much effort into it. I'm sure it will sell out quickly. Don't they have a new album coming out?

Anyone else going to see Diplo on Saturday night? I'm predicting a blazing hot set from this man.

sddoctor
02-28-2008, 07:13 PM
I'm buying my Cure tickets tomorrow as well. Curiosa was great, but I do hate Cricket. I haven't been to too many concerts at Dodge, the times I have been there, my seats were mostly in the middle on the first concourse and they were fine.

Diplo on saturday is going to be a blast. I just wish they had kept it at Area instead of moving it to the Clubhouse.

captncrzy
02-28-2008, 07:20 PM
Holy shit; I'm glad I re-read all of this; I was under an odd impression that 2/29 was Saturday, not Friday. That would have been a disaster. Those tix are going to be gone by Saturday. The decent ones, anyway.

denies the day
02-28-2008, 07:28 PM
Diplo on saturday is going to be a blast. I just wish they had kept it at Area instead of moving it to the Clubhouse.

Me, too. Especially since the sound at the Clubhouse is kinda sketchy and Area is only like two miles from my house. Erryone I've talked to says it's a cool venue. I hate when shit gets moved out of Phoenix.

sddoctor
02-28-2008, 07:34 PM
Me, too. Especially since the sound at the Clubhouse is kinda sketchy and Area is only like two miles from my house. Erryone I've talked to says it's a cool venue. I hate when shit gets moved out of Phoenix.

Yeah, the Clubhouse is going to be packed, the sound will suck and now the show is all ages...the 18 and over show at Area would have been much better.

M Sparks
02-28-2008, 07:54 PM
The balcony at The Dodge blows. I think I had the last two seats once for Blue Man Group...last row, far right.

And yes, Curiosa was great, but I hate hate HATE Cricket/Desert Sky/whatever it's called.

chairmenmeow47
02-29-2008, 08:13 AM
the only thing i don't like about cricket is you can't dance in the aisles.

just got my cure ticekts, w00t! kinda sucks cause the $57 tickets sold out before i could get mein (trying for four). we're in section 204, row 10 :)

captncrzy
02-29-2008, 08:38 AM
Acutally, that happened to me too; there's four of us. I had to buy two sets of two to get into the lower level. I got section 3, row 28 and section 4, row 31. I'm assuming someone in section 4, row 31 will be willing to move to the slightly closer section so we can all sit together.

chairmenmeow47
02-29-2008, 08:46 AM
Acutally, that happened to me too; there's four of us. I had to buy two sets of two to get into the lower level. I got section 3, row 28 and section 4, row 31. I'm assuming someone in section 4, row 31 will be willing to move to the slightly closer section so we can all sit together.

yeah, i thought about doing that. i had to play with the arrangements a couple of times. i could have gotten closer, but i would have been as far left as possible. i hate that. i also had flashbacks of trying to get nin marquee tickets and just said "fuck it" and went further back. glad you found a way to get closer!!!

ah well, i'll be ok. this will be my third cure performance after coachella and curiosa :)

captncrzy
02-29-2008, 08:48 AM
Yeah, I actually got a hit for row ten, but it was in section 7-which is ALL THE WAY OVER. You can't see shit from that angle. I'm happy with what I got.

I was in the first balcony for Robin Williams and it sucked because I couldn't see his facial expressions-but I'd imagine it would be different for a concert.

chairmenmeow47
02-29-2008, 08:51 AM
Yeah, I actually got a hit for row ten, but it was in section 7-which is ALL THE WAY OVER. You can't see shit from that angle. I'm happy with what I got.

I was in the first balcony for Robin Williams and it sucked because I couldn't see his facial expressions-but I'd imagine it would be different for a concert.

i didn't even realize there was a balcony, lol. that's why i bring my binoculars when i have balcony seating. i was REALLY glad i had them when i went to see the musical "camelot" at gammage, cause i could look at lou diamond philips up close and go "WTF" the entire show, lol.

CAN'T WAIT!!! we should have a coachella lobby meet-up :)

Somewhat Damaged
02-29-2008, 09:03 AM
Got too busy with work to remember to try getting tickets to this. Man, $57 tickets were gone that fast, huh? Were the pit tickets going to be GA? I thought that was mentioned as being the case when the show was originally announced. That's what I was going to try for 'cause a friend of mine is a Robert Smith die-hard and I figured it'd be fun. She doesn't care where we sit, though, as long as she gets to see them live again so I'm not going to stress about trying to get these till closer to the date.

amyzzz
02-29-2008, 12:18 PM
I just found out Infected Mushroom are coming to Axis on April 3rd. It's on a Thursday. That could be doable.

chairmenmeow47
02-29-2008, 12:21 PM
I just found out Infected Mushroom are coming to Axis on April 3rd. It's on a Thursday. That could be doable.

man, i ALWAYS miss them :(

i'd totally go if it wasn't the day after i return from swizterland. maybe i'll be jet lagged and up late and able to go...

amyzzz
02-29-2008, 12:28 PM
They were so awesome at Coach. I'm gonna see if my hubby wants to go cuz he really likes them.

Somewhat Damaged
02-29-2008, 12:46 PM
Amy, is it going to be at Axis-Radius in Scottsdale? I don't see it on their event page, though I recall the event being announced a few days ago in the Upcoming Shows thread. Too bad it's not on the weekend, but it's Arizona so why should I have even considered that?

M Sparks
02-29-2008, 01:20 PM

Thanks...I was having buyers remorse. My FIRST hit at 10:00:30 AM was Section 1, row 28. Ridiculous. Took a gamble and threw them back, got Section 204, row 7. Even further back, but better sightlines and $11 cheaper. Right next to the soundboard, basically.

Really,as long as I didn't wind up in the balcony, I was fine with it. I was buying for 7 people, so I'm sure that hurt me. Still, it's really shitty that out of all of us here, row 10 on the edge was the closest anyone got. Fucking scalpers with T1 lines.

amyzzz
02-29-2008, 01:23 PM
Amy, is it going to be at Axis-Radius in Scottsdale? I don't see it on their event page, though I recall the event being announced a few days ago in the Upcoming Shows thread. Too bad it's not on the weekend, but it's Arizona so why should I have even considered that?
I'm going by Infected Mushroom's website which says Axis. I can only assume that is Axis-Radius.

M Sparks
02-29-2008, 01:24 PM
i didn't even realize there was a balcony, lol. that's why i bring my binoculars when i have balcony seating. i was REALLY glad i had them when i went to see the musical "camelot" at gammage, cause i could look at lou diamond philips up close and go "WTF" the entire show, lol.

CAN'T WAIT!!! we should have a coachella lobby meet-up :)

I had season tickets to Gammage Broadway series for a few years. 4th row center in the balcony. Might as well be in another state. On the other hand, it was $99 for 6 shows.

Luckily I DIDN'T have binoculars when I saw The Graduate and Morgan Fairchild got naked on stage. I'm sure it looked much better far away.

chairmenmeow47
02-29-2008, 01:45 PM
I had season tickets to Gammage Broadway series for a few years. 4th row center in the balcony. Might as well be in another state. On the other hand, it was $99 for 6 shows.

Luckily I DIDN'T have binoculars when I saw The Graduate and Morgan Fairchild got naked on stage. I'm sure it looked much better far away.

ha ha ha ha, i'll bet! yeah, the balcony seats are VERY unsafe too.

we had season tickets as a family when i was younger. the first season we got them we were like 3rd row center, which was great for phantom, we were right under the chandelier.

but as the years progressed, our seats got worse and worse so we stopped buying them. they should give priority to current season ticket holders, IMO. i also hate how the more popular shows are like "extras" that aren't included in the season. it's good at least that you get first pick if you're a season ticket holder, but it's still a rip off if all you want to see that season is miss saigon or something.

and DEAR GOD GET MORE BATHROOMS.

ok, end gammage rant :)

Somewhat Damaged
02-29-2008, 01:51 PM
I'm going by Infected Mushroom's website which says Axis. I can only assume that is Axis-Radius.

Looking at the website, I don't know how much fun I'd have there anyway. Looks a bit too posh for my taste.

My boss said he could probably get me guest-listed for the Diplo show (we were talking about it earlier and I complained about the cost) but I really don't want to drive up to Phoenix this weekend. I had to drive 350 miles for work the last couple of days and while I'll get reimbursed for the money I spent on gas, I don't have that money right now and I don't want to dip into my credit card if I don't have to. Seeing that it's an all-ages show, though, maybe I won't be missing out on too much.

chairmenmeow47
02-29-2008, 01:57 PM
Looking at the website, I don't know how much fun I'd have there anyway. Looks a bit too posh for my taste.

axis/radius (if that's what we're talking about here) most definitely is not worth a drive up to phoenix. douchebaggery abounds!

TomAz
02-29-2008, 02:01 PM
axis/radius (if that's what we're talking about here) most definitely is not worth a drive up to phoenix. douchebaggery abounds!

agreed. axis/radius has the highest concentration of douchebags in all of scottsdale. which, you know, is saying a lot.

captncrzy
02-29-2008, 06:47 PM

I'll go with you Amy. (if your husband isn't down, that is...don't want to intrude on date night).

John, you going?

Somewhat Damaged
02-29-2008, 08:15 PM

Thanks for confirming that, it's what I was afraid of.

I'll go with you Amy. (if your husband isn't down, that is...don't want to intrude on date night).

Hope you crazy kids have a good time!

fikus222
02-29-2008, 08:22 PM
I lived in Tempe from '96-'01. Are the following still in existance?

The Bash on Ash, Club Pompeii, the Timberwolf Bar, Swell Records, Plastik Records, or the Celebrity Theater and is the Mesa Ampitheater still anal?

mountmccabe
02-29-2008, 08:53 PM
I lived in Tempe from '96-'01. Are the following still in existance?

The Bash on Ash, Club Pompeii, the Timberwolf Bar, Swell Records, Plastik Records, or the Celebrity Theater and is the Mesa Ampitheater still anal?

Bash on Ash is not around. It turned into just a bar/dance club for a while; may actually still be one.

Swell Records is still there.

Celebrity Theatre is still around and having shows.

Mesa Amp still has the noise curfew issues so shows have to end by about 10 pm, if that's what you mean.

I am not sure I remember Club Pompeii, the Timberwolf or Plastik Records.

mountmccabe
02-29-2008, 08:53 PM
Also I am not planning on going to Infected Mushroom.

captncrzy
03-01-2008, 06:03 AM
Also I am not planning on going to Infected Mushroom.

aw.

M Sparks
03-01-2008, 06:56 AM
I am not sure I remember Club Pompeii, the Timberwolf or Plastik Records.

I've never heard of those either. Never lived in Tempe, but spent a fair share of time there. Maybe he's thinking of Club Rio for Club Pompeii?

I saw a ton of club shows in the 90's, and I think they are all gone, though maybe some just changed names. Electric Ballroom...Chuys/Gibsons...The Roxy...Nile Theatre...The Grind...Party Gardens...and Bash On Ash of course.

Sadly, that shithole The Mason Jar still stands, as does Boston's I think. The first three I mentioned were really great spaces for shows (except for acoustics maybe.) Electric Ballroom had the sunken pit in front of the stage- you could sit or stand right behind the railing and still have a great view without getting crushed. And The Roxy and Gibsons had those balconies right above the stages.

Bostons had/has potential, but they blew it every time I was there. They had that weird stage with the roll-up garage door in the back, and then a bigger stage outside. I went there once for a Pigface show when they had like 5 opening acts. We didn't know the show was going to be out back. Everyone was inside up against the stage...the first band came out and we're looking at the back of them because they're facing out. I watched the first couple acts from behind. Then I went outside, and didn't see the other stage at the back of the property. I wanted to see FM Einheit, so I got up to the front of the stage. Boom...lights go up on the OTHER stage, and now I'm at the back of the crowd. That place is freakin' weird, assuming it's still there.

denies the day
03-01-2008, 10:04 AM
Maybe he's thinking of Club Rio for Club Pompeii?

Pompeii became Senor Frog's (or vice versa) before it became Freedom. So many cool shows were held there till they closed it a few years ago. The rumor is that they hold private parties there but I doubt it since it looks like shit from the outside and I haven't seen anyone parking there since they closed. But I try to avoid that area of town anyway so I don't see it much.

Club Rio was a joke from the start since it was primarily a sports bar/grill and always 18 and over. It's like a rental storage place now.

I saw a ton of club shows in the 90's, and I think they are all gone, though maybe some just changed names. Electric Ballroom...Chuys/Gibsons...The Roxy...Nile Theatre...The Grind...Party Gardens...and Bash On Ash of course.

Electric Ballroom was a pretty cool venue despite the wooden-beam decor. It was right across the street from Freedom and is now a parking lot for a restaurant, I think. Gibson's became (ugh) the Have A Nice Day Cafe. Before the name change, I was lucky enough to see Stereolab and the High Llamas in a very intimate setting. That bar is now something else to avoid as is whatever the Bash became. The Nile is gone, maybe a Mormon temple? The Party Gardens was kinda cool for a couple summers. The Grind was shut down when that underage kid had too many drinks and wandered over to the home of the then-deputy Alcohol Commissioner of Phoenix and died of alcohol poisoning on his doorstep.

Sadly, that shithole The Mason Jar still stands, as does Boston's I think.

The Mason Jar was disgustingly awesome. Thanks to the light-rail, it's now the second incarnation of Harley's, a gay bar that catered to dudes in leather mostly.

Boston's was shut down years ago when the real estate around the river bottom starting developing. I tried to see the Smashing Pumpkins there once but they hit capacity a couple of kids before me. I had to settle for standing on random cars in the parking lot just to get a peek at Billy's dome.

M Sparks
03-01-2008, 11:37 AM
Pompeii became Senor Frog's (or vice versa) before it became Freedom. So many cool shows were held there till they closed it a few years ago.
Odd...never heard of any of these places. (Except Senior Frog, but only the original Mexican one)

Club Rio was a joke from the start
I never went there...had tickets for a Front 242 show that got cancelled the day of the show. Seems like they always had a lot of shows though in the '92-95' time range.

Electric Ballroom was a pretty cool venue despite the wooden-beam decor.
It looked like a Black Angus. By the way...was that previously After The Gold Rush, or was that someplace else? Seems like ATGR looked like a Black Angus too.

Gibson's became (ugh) the Have A Nice Day Cafe.
I thought it was something else now. I remember being in that Pizza place upstairs and down the alley from it, and seeing them dump all these happy face tables and signs in the dumpster.

Speaking of that alley...when was the last time they did a show at Hayden Square Ampthitheater? I remember missing the Pixies/Pere Ubu show there. A couple years later, I saw the odd bill of They Might Be Giants/Charlatans UK/Meat Puppets there.

The Nile is gone, maybe a Mormon temple?
Doubt it...it was in a strip mall. You had to enter from the back alley, and the stage was basically right up against the curtained windows in the front.

The Grind was shut down when that underage kid had too many drinks and wandered over to the home of the then-deputy Alcohol Commissioner of Phoenix and died of alcohol poisoning on his doorstep.

Wasn't there a shooting there too?

The Mason Jar was disgustingly awesome. Thanks to the light-rail, it's now the second incarnation of Harley's, a gay bar that catered to dudes in leather mostly.

Weird, I thought I just saw the sign recently.

Boston's was shut down years ago when the real estate around the river bottom starting developing.

If you look them up online, there's all these websites that think it still exists.

captncrzy
03-01-2008, 04:13 PM
The place that used to be Gibsons is now called Margaritaland or something like that; it's a college bar.

And Electric Ballroom did use to be After the Gold Rush, hence the decor. I wish the Roxy was still open; that was a great place to see a show.

amyzzz
03-02-2008, 07:48 AM
I think Jacob wants to go to Infected Mushroom; he's going to ask his sister to watch the kids, so we'll probably be there. I have to figure out how to get advance tickets. The Axis/Radius website? They have a dress code, don't they? argh.

It's sad reading about all the good nightclubs that are closed now. I remember a lot of those.

downingthief
03-02-2008, 07:51 AM
Damn, so many memories. I played the "Electric Bathroom" many a time.

I was in Tempe yesterday morning at the Heart Walk. As I was driving down Mill, I kept staring out my window and asking where My Tempe Went?? So sad...those office buildings are an eye sore off of Rio Salado.

captncrzy
03-02-2008, 07:52 AM
I think Jacob wants to go to Infected Mushroom; he's going to ask his sister to watch the kids, so we'll probably be there. I have to figure out how to get advance tickets. The Axis/Radius website? They have a dress code, don't they? argh.

It's sad reading about all the good nightclubs that are close now. I remember a lot of those.

Yeah I don't know about the dress code; I hate those effing clubs.

amyzzz
03-02-2008, 07:55 AM
the website says:
Q. WHAT IS THE DRESS CODE?
A. Dress to impress: Jeans are allowed however,No athletic wear, No head gear, No Sandals, No tennis shoes, No baggy clothes.

I can't see anywhere on the website where tickets are on sale. The FAQ also says if you buy tickets in advance, they are available at the door on the day of the event from 9pm to 1am. Weird. I'm nervous about the douchebaggery factor.

fikus222
03-02-2008, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the info...good times.

The Timberwolf was a log cabin on the south side of ASUs campus, actually right next to their campus police station. It was great, they had over 100 different beers on tap and another 100 different bottled. They also served good bar food and on off nights when my friend's and I would go there they'd let us put the Simpsons on their big screens.

The problem with the Electric Ballroom was that they kept losing their liquor license,so I only saw one show there. It was Stabbing Westward and Sponge in '96 and I met Stabbing Westward down the street at the Taco Bell, of all places.

downingthief
03-02-2008, 09:39 AM
Yeah. They lost their liquor license the last time because the owner got a 16 year old girl dunk while she was in the bar, and I believe assaulted her as well. Not very smart.

Timberwolf was ok. Only issues I had witht he place is they frequently ran out of beers, and the beer temperature was usually too warm.

fikus222
03-02-2008, 10:00 AM
We avoided it on certain nights, when they catered to the college kids with ridiculously cheap prices for crap beer. Though, we would go on pint night, where for an extra buck you could get pint glasses of the featured beer of the week. Plus we knew the staff and they kept us up to date on the beers to stay away from.

captncrzy
03-02-2008, 11:40 AM
There is still a log cabin structure over by ASU. I can't remember what it's called now though.

TomAz
03-02-2008, 11:53 AM
There is still a log cabin structure over by ASU. I can't remember what it's called now though.

"The School of Architecture"

Somewhat Damaged
03-02-2008, 08:20 PM
How was the Diplo show last night? Did anybody still end up going?

chairmenmeow47
03-03-2008, 08:08 AM
How was the Diplo show last night? Did anybody still end up going?

my god it was awful. for something called "the mother fucking rave is over", the music was definitely bad rave to tha maxxx. i don't even know if i saw diplo or not, we left sometime after midnight to get wings at native across the street :)

the clubhouse gets more and more disgusting everytime i go there.

also, swell records is still around, but it's not off of scottsdale road anymore. it's on mill avenue. it was separated into a record store and a clothing store, but i don't know if the record store is still around. i had friends who worked there, but unfortunately it went kinda downhill. i don't even think there's a swell "crew" anymore :(

plastik records is LONG gone. i LOVED plastik and i miss them dearly!!! i also miss swing nights bash ash in the late nineties and ska shows at bostons. those were the days...

M Sparks
03-03-2008, 08:25 AM
And Electric Ballroom did use to be After the Gold Rush

Thanks...I never saw a show at ATGR, but I drove by it once. A few years later, I would wind up at Electric Ballroom a lot and I thought it was the same place, but no one's ever been able to confirm it for me.

I remember I wanted to see Nirvana at ATGR but didn't make it down...that would have been pretty sweet. Nevermind had been out for like a few weeks.

captncrzy
03-03-2008, 08:36 AM
Where is Swell on Mill? I work on Mill and haven't ever seen it...now I'm wondering what I'm missing.

The saddest thing gone from Mill Ave is Long Wong's. Great place to see small bands.

downingthief
03-03-2008, 08:52 AM
Where is Swell on Mill? I work on Mill and haven't ever seen it...now I'm wondering what I'm missing.

The saddest thing gone from Mill Ave is Long Wong's. Great place to see small bands.

You are so right about Wong's. Some of the best shows I ever played were there. Such a good vibe. Best wings in town, too. :)

I remember seeing some great bands there. Gin Blossoms, Dead Hot, Fake McCoy's, Zen Lunatics, to name a few...but also I saw what was to be the Pistoleros there. Doug Hopkins was a no show (the band was called the Chimeras at the time), so they asked their old guitar player from Live Nudes to fill in. Was a great night of music. A sad night though, because only a few days later, Doug was found dead.

So many great memories. There will never be another place like in town. For those of you who never had the pleasure, you definitely missed out.

chairmenmeow47
03-03-2008, 09:00 AM

swell records used-to-be/is on the north end of mill near the fat burger and the jewelry store on the west side of mill. the clothing shop is also on the west side of mill, but further south towards the movie theatre. it is practically right next to american apparell. hell, that may be gone too, i don't know, but that's where they were at least.

and RIP LONG WONGS!!! when it moved, it was never the same and no other long wongs is as good :(

TomAz
03-03-2008, 09:20 AM
I miss Nita's. that place was the best. Like nearly perfect.

captncrzy
03-03-2008, 10:17 AM
There's still a little clothing shop there by the used bookstore/vintage stuff store (which is going out of business); but I'm 9999% sure that the record store is gone. I've been up and down that street on my lunch hour (due to boredom) and haven't ever seen it. Too bad, sounds like it was probably a nice browsing spot.

fikus222
03-03-2008, 11:31 AM
Swell Records was an electronic music record and clothing store, that also served as a rave promoter. DJ Z-Trip was a part of their Bombshelter Djs and it was located on the southern border of Scottsdale.

chairmenmeow47
03-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Swell Records was an electronic music record and clothing store, that also served as a rave promoter. DJ Z-Trip was a part of their Bombshelter Djs and it was located on the southern border of Scottsdale.

yes, and then it separated into two stores on mill avenue like i said above, but they appear to be gone. i guess people get their records online now.

unfortunately it appears that their dj crew has disbanded as well :(

fikus222
03-03-2008, 11:43 AM
unfortunately it appears that their dj crew has disbanded as well :(

On Z-Trip's site he provides free downloads of material that he recorded with at least 2 other Bombshelter Djs, Radar and Emile.

http://www.djztrip.com/downloads.html

chairmenmeow47
03-03-2008, 11:47 AM
On Z-Trip's site he provides free downloads of material that he recorded with at least 2 other Bombshelter Djs, Radar and Emile.

http://www.djztrip.com/downloads.html

i meant swell, not the bombshelter djs, sorry :) swell used to have a crew of various djs. a lot of the djs are still around and performing, they just no longer belong to swell's "crew" or whatever.

and emile can suck a fat cock! lol, i love z-trip though. that show at the sky lounge the night before thanksgiving in 2005 was the shit! i'd never seen that place so packed!

downingthief
03-03-2008, 11:48 AM
I miss Nita's. that place was the best. Like nearly perfect.

I enjoyed Nita's, as well. Can't beat a dive bar next to a porn shop! :)

M Sparks
03-03-2008, 12:34 PM
You are so right about Wong's.
I remember seeing some great bands there. Gin Blossoms, Dead Hot

Wow, you saw Gin Blossoms AND Dead Hot at Long Wong's? That must have been a rare and magical occasion. ;)

downingthief
03-03-2008, 12:49 PM
Wow, you saw Gin Blossoms AND Dead Hot at Long Wong's? That must have been a rare and magical occasion. ;)

Ha! Yeah, showing my age a bit. Never saw them together on the same night, but separate. Was always a good show, though. :)

Were you in the valley during its run?

chairmenmeow47
03-03-2008, 12:53 PM

no shit! my friends saw green day open for the dead milkman at the mason jar years ago. one of them told billie joe they sucked and were never going to make anything of themselves.

and i know people were talking about what a shithole the mason jar was above, but man, words cannot describe how disgusting that place was. i'd love to get biological samples of the mason jar and the nile and have them analyzed. i also hated that stupid chain-link fence with every fiber of my being.

here's my favourite mason jar experience:

i went to see my friends band "the flesh eating monkeys/phoenix city ska ambassadors", another band (something like "no redeeming social value", but i don't know if it was them or not), and mephiskapheles once there. such a strange night. my girlfriend and i were hanging out back with the bands, and this homeless guy walks up to the side of the building and starts peeing. when he stops, he turns over to us and says "you girls wanna finish this off?"

then, during the middle band's show, the first thing they said when they got on stage was "WE WANT PUSSY!!!!!!!!!" my girlfriend and i who were all of about 15-17 were the only females in the audience of about 12 people btw. then they proceeded to:

* pee in a toilet
* light it on fire
* sing 3 songs about "olde E".

and the keyboard player from mephiskapheles just wandered around the stage with his beer their ENTIRE SET. he was a skinny, rugged rat looking fellow with black leather pants and a black leather vest with no shirt under it. none of the "no redeeming social value" band even seemed to notice. he was scary lookign though, i probably would have just let him wander around while my band played too, lol.

mephiskapheles was worth every second of strangeness though. they were a great live band. and that story, in a nutshell, describes the mason jar experience, lol.

downingthief
03-03-2008, 12:58 PM
That's epic. Only played the Jar once (thank God). Although, everyone told us we sounded great there. That was the problem. For the most part, bands usually sounded pretty good there. Franco was such a dick, though. Hated dealing with that tard.

captncrzy
03-03-2008, 02:45 PM
Ew, I remember Franco. he was a complete asshole.

I think the Jar is now a lesbian bar.

sddoctor
03-03-2008, 05:06 PM
yeah, the mason jar was called Harley's and now it's Velocity, a lesbian bar.

On another note, Diplo was really good on saturday. You had to sit through the muck in the beginning but the drinks took care of that...people were dancing all over the stage. Great time. I've seen Diplo before, so all I wanted to do was dance, and that's exactly what I did!

M Sparks
03-04-2008, 03:07 AM
Ha! Yeah, showing my age a bit. Never saw them together on the same night, but separate. Was always a good show, though. :)

Were you in the valley during its run?

I was just making fun of the fact that they must have each played there 100 times or so. It's not exactly "I saw the Doors at Anderson Fifth Estate". (Which is something my boss told me around the same time Long Wongs was hot.) I's just teasin'. ;)

I went to NAU at that time, so I never made it to Long Wongs. But I did see Gin Blossoms open Q-Fest around that time. I only remember 2 things...1)Robin introduced a song "I was watching Brady Bunch and Greg had this big date. So we wrote this song called The Biggest Date." It was my favorite thing they played- don't think they ever recorded it. 2)They plugged a Dead Hot show at the end.

Gin Blossoms and Dead Hot (and Meat Puppets) used to play Monsoons up here all the time, so I guess that was Flagstaff's Long Wongs.

M Sparks
03-04-2008, 03:12 AM
Ew, I remember Franco. he was a complete asshole.

Anyone remember when the New Times did a whole article making fun of him? They had a big picture of him leaning on his Trans Am or Camero or whatever it was. The headline was "You Bite The Biggie One", because Franco yelled that at the reporter once.

That ceiling was so ridiculously low. I saw Chemlab there, and Jared actually wacked his head on a beam just jumping up and down on stage.

downingthief
03-04-2008, 06:03 AM
That's funny...don't remember the article, though. Wish I would have read it!

My run in with him was due to the fact that he booked us...then a few months later bumped us off (without telling us) because a national act was coming in, and they hand picked their openers. Only way we found out was when the New Times ad came out. I imeediately called him and fought with him on the phone for almost an hour. He finally caved, and let us play (we had a ton of people coming). Shitty part is they cut our set down; only played about 25 minutes.

Low ceilings are a staple in dive bars. The old Sail Inn (I think is still there, just a new name...off of Farmer), and Yucca Tap Room have very low ceilings over the stage.

M Sparks
03-04-2008, 06:13 AM
That's funny...don't remember the article, though. Wish I would have read it!

I found it! No picture, though.

I Bite "the Biggy One"?
By David Holthouse
Published: February 8, 1996

I'd heard the stories about Mason Jar owner Franco Gagliano and his temperamental impersonation of Godzilla on coke (a shorter, squatter Godzilla, that is). But I didn't believe them because I hadn't experienced any firsthand.

Now I do, because now I have.
Here's my story:
It is Saturday night, February 3, the second of two dates the Plimsouls are scheduled to play at the Jar as part of that '80s L.A. hip-pop band's "comeback tour." Where I'd rather be is at Electric Ballroom grooving to Mother Hips, or at Aqua Lounge, a new club in Tempe I've heard nothing but good about. Where I am, however, is standing with New Times photographer Tim Archibald in the entryway of the Mason Jar, listening to Franco tell us we can't come in.

Now, there are two things you should know at this point. The first is that the Plimsouls' manager had called me the day before to remind me that a reviewer ticket and a photo pass under the name "New Times" would be waiting for me at the Mason Jar. The second is that about three weeks before the Plimsouls show, Franco called me a cocksucker on the phone when I refused to write a feature article on one of the many walking-corpse L.A. metal bands he periodically resurrects onstage at the Mason Jar.

I believe his exact words were, "I put a lot of ads in there with you guys--you keep being a cocksucker and I'm going to get you fired." Anytime I get called a nasty name and threatened with unemployment in the same phone call, I tend to take notes as soon as I hang up--it's a compulsion of mine.

But let's get back on track here.
Turned away at the door, Tim and I make for the parking lot. Franco follows us out. "Hey," he barks. I turn around just in time to here Franco spit out something like, "YoutellthebigguyattheNewTimesthathesucksthebigone."

You have to understand that Franco is speaking about warp eight, but I think a direct translation is: "You tell the big guy at the New Times that he sucks the big one." (Oral manipulation of male genitalia seems to be an overriding concern of Franco's these days.)

"The big guy at the New Times," I repeat, for purposes of clarification.
"Yeah," Franco says, "the big guy."
Now who might that be?
Tim hazards a guess: "You mean [New Times, Inc., co-founder] Mike Lacey."
"No," says Franco, "nothim."
I take a stab at it. "[Phoenix New Times editor] John Mecklin?"
"No, no, no," says Franco. "The music guy fromAlaska."

I don't know whether to laugh, throw a punch, or glow with pride. On the one hand, Franco is telling me I suck. But on the other, he is referring to me as "the big guy at the New Times." Bigger than Lacey. Bigger than Mecklin. My God, I started to wonder, am I that cool?

Such delusions are fleeting, however, because it's hard to feel even a little bit big-time when you're standing in the parking lot of the Mason Jar arguing with Franco Gagliano. I decide it is best to just clear up the situation, which, in the space of a few seconds, has degenerated into a "Who's on first" skit with me quickly growing tired of playing Abbott to a Costello in spandex and gold chains.

"Oh," I say, leaning in a bit, "you mean me."
To his credit, Franco barely flinches before he sidles back toward the door. He does, however, fire a parting salvo.

"Wellyoubitethebiggyone."
Now, you have to understand--Franco was moving away from me at the time, and Saturday-night traffic on Indian School Road was typically heavy. But I'm almost positive that what he said was, "You bite the biggy one."

I'm not sure what a "biggy one" is, but I could hardly argue with him that night. Instead of seeing the Hips or swimming through the liquid interior of Aqua Lounge, I got shut out of the Mason Jar and wound up playing fetch with Weegee, Tim's wonder mutt.

Which, in the end analysis, was probably a better way to burn a Saturday night than watching the Plimsouls--a band that, like many of the touring acts that play the Mason Jar, is a "Million Miles Away" from its time and place in rock history (still, the scene would have made a decent column, and I'm admittedly bitter). When I got to the Jar just after 11, Franco was cutting the $10 cover in half to try to draw acrowd, so I'll chalk up our little unpleasantries to a bad night at the till.

But let's examine the logic here--Franco wouldn't let me and a photographer in to cover a concert at his club because he was pissed off that I hadn't covered a concert at his club.

Do with that bit of brilliance what you will. Me, I'll be a piece of pie to pick out in the clubs from now on--just look for the guy in the purple madras shirt with the neon-green logo on the back that reads, "The Big Guy."

God, I still love the sound of that.--David Holthouse

M Sparks
03-04-2008, 06:18 AM
Found the photo too!
http://media.phoenixnewtimes.com/22060.51.jpeg

downingthief
03-04-2008, 06:30 AM
HA! Good work! That is classic stuff. Man, he was such a douche.

amyzzz
03-11-2008, 03:20 PM
Advanced Infected Mushroom tickets are on sale on the axis/radius website

http://phoenix.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=phoenix&cdn=citiestowns&tm=7&gps=118_472_674_308&f=00&su=p284.9.336.ip_p529.5.336.ip_&tt=2&bt=1&bts=1&zu=http%3A//www.axis-radius.com/

denies the day
03-20-2008, 08:34 PM
Bump for the PHX.

Pase Rock and Guns N Bombs at the French Kiss 1 year anniversary tomorrow night. Should be pretty ill. Anyone going?

Bueller?

chairmenmeow47
03-21-2008, 08:29 AM
french kiss has been dead the past few times i've gone, so i won't be there. i was there last week and it was BOR-ING!

denies the day
03-21-2008, 09:04 AM
french kiss has been dead the past few times i've gone, so i won't be there. i was there last week and it was BOR-ING!

Um yeah, no shit. Sounds like you don't know who Pase Rock or Guns N Bombs are.

Now let's hear from the peeps that WILL be going.

chairmenmeow47
03-21-2008, 09:09 AM
Um yeah, no shit. Sounds like you don't know who Pase Rock or Guns N Bombs are.

Now let's hear from the peeps that WILL be going.

no, i don't know who they are, never claimed to. i'm just saying that french kiss has gotten freaking boring. people myspace all over the place about it and then no one is there. i know a lot of people who have stopped going, which is fine, nights run their course.

no need to get snippy, i'm just saying that it's time for them to do something new since french kiss seems to have run it's course. i'm sure they'll pull heads for the anniversary party, but next week and the week after it's going to be the same few people it always is. i blame the fact that they got rid of hamburger time, but that's just my two cents =P

*edit* and i shouldn't be snippy either, i'm just having a really awful week >:O

captncrzy
03-21-2008, 10:00 AM
I'm out of it. I've never heard of French Kiss.

Somewhat Damaged
03-21-2008, 10:26 AM
If I didn't get ass-raped on my health insurance this week, I'd be there. Been wanting to check out Guns N Bombs for a while now.

denies the day
03-21-2008, 11:03 AM
I did come off like a jerk, Ivy. Apologies. Your assessment of the downstairs night is pretty spot on. What do you think of the Friday upstairs?

Capt, it's an indiepopdancepunkdiscoelectrohiphopnotreally kinda night that's been struggling, like the others. It's truly a miracle when any night hits the one-year mark.

GNB should put on a good dance set. Lots of squeltchy acidy electro. Pase Rock will bring the sleaze. I hope.

chairmenmeow47
03-21-2008, 11:24 AM
I did come off like a jerk, Ivy. Apologies. Your assessment of the downstairs night is pretty spot on. What do you think of the Friday upstairs?

Capt, it's an indiepopdancepunkdiscoelectrohiphopnotreally kinda night that's been struggling, like the others. It's truly a miracle when any night hits the one-year mark.

GNB should put on a good dance set. Lots of squeltchy acidy electro. Pase Rock will bring the sleaze. I hope.

i generally enjoy the music upstairs more than downstairs, obviously. it's just more my style and i generally know the djs upstairs. what sucks is that most of my friends are smokers, so i spend most of the night on the patio anyways. i also like that there's a pool table. i guess i go to french kiss more as "after hours" than as a my night out. homme seems to have trouble keeping any night around, so you're right, a year for french kiss at home is totally awesome :)

Blinken
03-24-2008, 09:57 AM
So i might be moving to phoenix. I don't know yet the money is double what i am making now, but i don't know anyone out there, and i hate hot weather. i am really lost on what i should do.

captncrzy
03-24-2008, 10:27 AM
Well, it really is hot here. Double salary isn't anything to sneeze at either. Do you know where you'd be moving to?

downingthief
03-24-2008, 10:30 AM
Well, for starters, you aren't getting out of the Hot weather thing. It's gonna happen. But, you get at least 8 months of perfect weather the rest of the year, so it is worth it.

If you are going to make double, your cost of living should be less than LA too. So, money wise sounds like a good move.

Music scene, overall, sucks here. Especially compared to LA.

You'll easily meet new people here. I wouldn't worry about that.

mountmccabe
03-24-2008, 10:37 AM
How much have you lived in hot weather? I really don't like hot weather but, like the cold, you find ways of dealing with it.

You have your outside time - including swimming because there are pools everywhere - early in the morning or after dark when it is cool(er.) Most everywhere here has air conditioning so you stay inside during the worst parts of the day. You drink lots of cold water.

Also it is significantly cheaper to live in Phoenix than Los Angeles so there's that.

EDIT: I was eating and typing slowly so I didn't see the other replies. Ooops.

Blinken
03-24-2008, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the input, i don't know where i would be living yet. Yeah the money side is fucking awesome. A friend got an offer to be CEO of a company out there, the owner doesn't want to run it any more. He wants to be the number 2 guy out there so it is a great jump. I love cold weather, and i know i won't be getting any of that out there. I will probably learn more in the next month or so. I am helping him on a consulting job in Phoenix, $500 for a days worth of work. I love consulting. I will see how that goes, and probably decide after.

luckyface
03-24-2008, 11:10 AM
As someone who has lived in both places, I would jump at the chance to live in Phoenix. Your money goes so much further (the fact that you will get double the amount you make now will make this extra money go further), the atmosphere is much more laid back, the people are much friendlier than in LA, and there is still enough to do to keep you happy.

The drawbacks: the music scene, the lack of ocean and the weather. While you can't do much about the heat, you only have to deal with it for 4-5 months. Like it was stated earlier, there is AC and misters everywhere. You just learn to stay out of the sun unless you have to from June-August. You are never going to find nicer weather than in LA, but the rest of the year in Phoenix is just about the same from a weather standpoint. If you like cold, you can always make weekend trips to Flagstaff (an hour and a half away).

The music scene is pretty shitty, as you will only get a handful of the acts that come to LA. But you are only 6 hour drives away from LA and SD, and Vegas is 5 hours.

Everything else is advantage Phoenix.

chairmenmeow47
03-24-2008, 12:03 PM
i also love living in phoenix. yes, it gets hot, but i also wore shorts this weekend while working out so at least the winters/spring isn't bad at all. the music scene is much smaller here, but it's out there if you know where to look. because there are so many suburbs, this can make it seem like there's not much to do, when in reality everyone is partying, they're just at different bars throughout the valley.

also, learn to love your car and learn to love taking care of it. get a shade screen from the summer, makes a huge difference. i'd also recommend living in an area that works for your interests. if you like going for a jog in the park and like being close to shopping areas and bars, scottsdale would be a good bet. if you like the college lifestyle, head for tempe. mesa is pretty close to both and is very eclectic. i live in mesa. we have more mormons than salt lake, but a lot of tweekers too.

we're probably going to seem a lot stricter with some of our laws here. don't get a dui. and you probably don't want to get caught with pot or anything like that. and get used to people shopping with a gun on their hip, especially if you ever make it out to apache junction, lol.

best of luck with your move and you'll at least know of some coachella folk down here :)

TomAz
03-24-2008, 12:13 PM
phoenix sucks. it's a fucking hellhole with no culture, unless you consider Tommy Bahama shirts to be art. Music sucks, there is no good radio, the people are all pasty white from hiding from the sun, mexicans are treated like shit or worse, and republicans run everything, even the democrats. People are generally poorly educated and it shows in everything -- from the media to politics to shopping.

downingthief
03-24-2008, 12:14 PM
Errr...Hi Tom!

TomAz
03-24-2008, 12:17 PM
I think I'll run for governor.

downingthief
03-24-2008, 12:20 PM
Great! What's your platform?

TomAz
03-24-2008, 12:25 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41M1-OENXKL._AA280_.jpg

1. Arizona needs to take decisive action against illegal immigration. Each year, thousands of new midwesterners from states such as Nebraska, Minnesota, and Wisconsin arrive in the Valley in their Buicks and Winnebegos. We must stop these ugly, foul-smelling, funny-talking predators from invading our homeland. As governor, I will take action to make sure that no one has to see a Lutheran retiree ever again.

2. In my administration, we will build a containment wall around Mesa to keep the Mormons to themselves. This reduces the inconvenience for the rest of Arizona. As for the Mormons, they won't even notice.

3. I intend to propose legislation to make white belts, sansabelt slacks, and patent leather illegal in Arizona. Fashion kills.

4. I will have Joe Arpaio immediately arrested and publicly flogged.

5. I will make "Banditos" the state song.

6. I will make it illegal for the temperature to exceed 105. Also, I will do away with the monsoons.

7. Jenna Jameson will be by running mate.

STALINZZZ
03-24-2008, 12:25 PM
gay rights?

TomAz
03-24-2008, 12:41 PM
yes, I believe gays should be allowed to marry, they deserve the same right to be miserable as the rest of us.

higgybaby23
03-24-2008, 12:45 PM
[QUOTE=TomAz;520723]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41M1-OENXKL._AA280_.jpg

I will make it illegal for the temperature to exceed 105. Also, I will do away with the monsoons.

QUOTE]

You've got my vote!

downingthief
03-24-2008, 12:47 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41M1-OENXKL._AA280_.jpg

7. Jenna Jameson will be by running mate.

NOT a good idea...have you seen what she looks like lately?

TomAz
03-24-2008, 12:48 PM
no actually i haven't. bad news huh?

Sean you can be my campaign manager. you've got a good head on your shoulders.

downingthief
03-24-2008, 12:51 PM
I work for beer.

downingthief
03-24-2008, 12:51 PM
Also, yes...jenna looks awful...I'll try and find a pic.

amyzzz
03-24-2008, 12:56 PM
Don't move here. Too many people here already.

captncrzy
03-24-2008, 01:12 PM
Tom has a sandy vagina today.

TomAz
03-24-2008, 01:13 PM
amy, if elected governor I promise a radiohead concert in Arizona once every two years.

TomAz
03-24-2008, 01:14 PM
Jennifer, I will appoint you head of ADEQ.

Somewhat Damaged
03-24-2008, 01:17 PM
Is there a place in your administration for me, Tom?

captncrzy
03-24-2008, 01:17 PM
Jennifer, I will appoint you head of ADEQ.

What's ADEQ?

TomAz
03-24-2008, 01:18 PM
Is there a place in your administration for me, Tom?

you can have DHS or AHCCCS, take your pick.

What's ADEQ?

Arizona Department of Environmental Quality.

you can have ADOT instead if you'd rather.

Somewhat Damaged
03-24-2008, 01:19 PM
Ooh, you're offering me AHCCCS? Nice.

luckyface
03-24-2008, 01:27 PM
You don't like monsoons? I don't know if I can vote for you.

TomAz
03-24-2008, 01:30 PM
Each year, the monsoons cause more human and property damage in Arizona than terrorism and homosexuality combined. Plus it makes it kind of muggy. I sincerely believe we must fight this menace to our peace-loving, law-abiding, god-fearing way of life. I have full confidence in the people of Arizona to defeat the monsoons and send them back to southeast asia where they came from.

HowToDisappear
03-24-2008, 01:44 PM
As governor, perhaps you could enact legislation that would prohibit the mass migration of your fine, peace-loving, law-abiding, god-fearing populace into the County of San Diego every summer.

We'd much prefer it if you Zonies stay home.

Blinken
03-24-2008, 01:47 PM
i want to know what property damage is caused by homosexuals. Are their ass fucking parties so intense they can level a city block or something? Or is just their taste in home decor?

TomAz
03-24-2008, 01:54 PM
As governor, perhaps you could enact legislation that would prohibit the mass migration of your fine, peace-loving, law-abiding, god-fearing populace into the County of San Diego every summer.

We'd much prefer it if you Zonies stay home.

As governor of the great state of Arizona, I will annex San Diego and Imperial counties. I will then lease Imperial County to Mexico to fund highway improvements.

i want to know what property damage is caused by homosexuals. Are their ass fucking parties so intense they can level a city block or something? Or is just their taste in home decor?

You and the rest of the liberal media have quoted me out of context in a direct smear campaign. I'll not dignify your attack with an answer.

Bud Luster
03-24-2008, 01:57 PM
I'm starting a "tomaz needs our help" thread.

amyzzz
03-24-2008, 02:06 PM
amy, if elected governor I promise a radiohead concert in Arizona once every two years.
You've got my vote. You'd have to thrown in some really good mass transit in AZ for Radiohead probably.

luckyface
03-24-2008, 02:11 PM
Tom, you will win my vote back if you outlaw snowbirds. And photo radar.

TomAz
03-24-2008, 02:12 PM
I plan on bringing back the alernative fuels vehicle subsidy. That worked so well for Jane Hull.

amyzzz
03-24-2008, 02:14 PM
hahahaha

TomAz
03-24-2008, 02:14 PM
Tom, you will win my vote back if you outlaw snowbirds. And photo radar.

Photo radar. yes. This is a key element of my campaign. If elected, I will shoot whosever idea this was.

amyzzz
03-24-2008, 02:17 PM
God, I hate photo radar. What is this, Orwell's 1984?

captncrzy
03-24-2008, 02:50 PM
Ok, I want ADOT so I can get rid of photo radar.

I'll also make sure that the only road construction that happens is in the middle of the night-all cones and whatnot need to be picked up by 5am every weekday morning.

TomAz
03-24-2008, 03:15 PM
ok it's yours.

John's probably a good fit for ADEQ.

mob roulette
03-24-2008, 03:45 PM
State Treasurer. Or Comptroller. Whoever gets to hold the money. That's me. I just want to hold it.

mob roulette
03-24-2008, 03:48 PM
Also I am voting for you. This is a solid platform that I can get behind.

TomAz
03-24-2008, 03:52 PM
I kinda had you penciled in as Chief of Staff.

but Treasurer, ok.

mountmccabe
03-24-2008, 04:39 PM
ok it's yours.

John's probably a good fit for ADEQ.

ADEQ visited us last week or so for a surprise audit. Stressful.

mountmccabe
03-24-2008, 04:45 PM
There are mountains in Phoenix. They rule.

Here you can barely see University of Phoenix Stadium (where the Cardinals play, it is a white dot on the horizon) 15 miles away.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2081/2355068637_5265ee165f.jpg

Here is a view of the tall buildings of downtown Phoenix, 10 miles away.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3153/2355067025_b2511f107d.jpg

Also Rocke is right on being able to go up North to cooler places such as Flagstaff and plenty of other high elevation destinations. Arizona is a great place if you like camping and hiking and such. There are also a lot of reservoirs (I'm trying to get away from calling them lakes.)

Also the music scene isn't nearly as bad as everyone says. It is certainly not LA-good but there are a lot of shows to go to. Just not every day/weekend.

TomAz
03-24-2008, 04:52 PM
so who's going to The Black Keys on Friday?

sddoctor
03-24-2008, 05:23 PM
i'm in for the keys on friday!

denies the day
03-24-2008, 07:49 PM
you can have DHS or AHCCCS, take your pick.

ahahahahahahahahahahahah

Ooh ooh me next. Can I have Parks and Recreation? And the Liquor Board, too?

captncrzy
03-24-2008, 08:09 PM
Can't go to The Keys...will be in D.C.

mountmccabe
03-24-2008, 09:30 PM
I am going to see the Black Keys.

captncrzy
03-25-2008, 07:14 AM
Damn. Everyone's going but me. =(

amyzzz
03-25-2008, 07:17 AM
I'm not. Haven't heard their stuff yet.

Somewhat Damaged
03-25-2008, 07:20 AM
Do you even like the Black Keys, Jen, or are you just sad you're being left out?

TomAz
03-25-2008, 07:24 AM
ahahahahahahahahahahahah

Ooh ooh me next. Can I have Parks and Recreation? And the Liquor Board, too?

I'm keeping the Liquor Board for myself.

Blinken
03-25-2008, 07:40 AM
What would your drug policy be?

amyzzz
03-25-2008, 07:42 AM
Come to Infected Mushroom next Thurs, Jen. :thu

captncrzy
03-25-2008, 07:58 AM
Come to Infected Mushroom next Thurs, Jen. :thu

I may be able to hit that one.

M Sparks
03-25-2008, 08:01 AM
2. In my administration, we will build a containment wall around Mesa to keep the Mormons to themselves. This reduces the inconvenience for the rest of Arizona. As for the Mormons, they won't even notice.

Can you relocate all the ones in Flagstaff too- there's a ton. Maybe move them to Snowflake or Show Low so they don't have climate shock.

5. I will make "Banditos" the state song.

I thought it was already. I'm pretty sure I heard Dolan Ellis do it last year.

TomAz
03-25-2008, 08:21 AM
What would your drug policy be?

Arizonans don't like the government telling them what they can and cannot do. But we also must consider the impact a freer drug policy might have on our great state. We don't want to become a magnet for junkies, dopers, stoners, and dropouts from California and other states. They're annoying and they smell bad. If elected, my administration will craft a policy which carefully and thoughtfully balances these two competing priorities.

Blinken
03-25-2008, 08:45 AM
Well i can live with that as long as Joe Apario is taken care of.

downingthief
03-25-2008, 09:01 AM
Where are the Keys playing Friday? Might have to work that in.

mountmccabe
03-25-2008, 10:52 AM
They are at the Marquee.

downingthief
03-25-2008, 11:45 AM
Man, I have a concert conundrum...BRMC is also playing that night at Martini Ranch. Less than 5 minutes away from me. I missed them the last time through. And, I get to see the Keys at Coachella...decisions, decisions...

M Sparks
03-25-2008, 11:54 AM
And, I get to see the Keys at Coachella...decisions, decisions...

"Get" or "Got"?

This is a crucial distinction when we are in lineup addition frenzy mode.

downingthief
03-25-2008, 12:36 PM
"Get" or "Got"?

This is a crucial distinction when we are in lineup addition frenzy mode.

Son of a!

It's even worse now...I got my "Keys" confused with my "Lips".

captncrzy
03-25-2008, 12:37 PM
How the hell is it possible that two good bands are playing in Phx on the same night?

amyzzz
03-25-2008, 12:40 PM
I was wondering the same thing. I hadn't heard about BRMC.

downingthief
03-25-2008, 12:56 PM
How the hell is it possible that two good bands are playing in Phx on the same night?

No shit! I was thinking the same thing. Bizarro world.

TomAz
03-25-2008, 02:27 PM
If elected governor, I will assure a minimum of two good national bands playing in Phoenix every weekend, and a minimum of one per weekend in Tucson. Aditionally, Flagstaff is guaranteed one a month. The people of the great state of Arizona are entitled to the same good music that the rest of the country gets, and as your governor, I'm going to do something about it.

downingthief
03-25-2008, 02:41 PM
Make it so, Tom

amyzzz
03-25-2008, 02:49 PM
http://rodtsentrum.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/jean-luc-picard.gif

TomAz
03-25-2008, 02:50 PM
Make it so, Tom

I'm giving the orders around here, campaign manager. Go raise me some campaign funds so I can go hire a hooker.

downingthief
03-26-2008, 12:49 PM
I was able to work the budget for 3 hookers. That work for you?

TomAz
03-26-2008, 12:50 PM
ok but what about tomorrow

downingthief
03-26-2008, 12:53 PM
Hang on Mr. Clinton...

Mr. Dylanja
03-26-2008, 02:42 PM
I don't think you guys care but Kanye announced he's playing at Jobing.com Arena on June 8th, tickets go on-sale this Friday at 10:00 A.M.

(sorry to disrupt the campaign rally Tom)

TomAz
03-26-2008, 02:48 PM
It's quite alright. Let me take this opportunity to say how much the TomAz campaign values the African-American voters of Arizona. Both of them.

mob roulette
03-26-2008, 02:54 PM
Winnar.

I'll be in the skybox for Jay-Z and Mary J if any of my caucasian peeps want to stop by. That includes you, guv'ner. All are welcome.

TomAz
03-26-2008, 03:11 PM
skybox? how'd you swing that mob?

mob roulette
03-26-2008, 03:13 PM
I am one of the two African-American voters. How else? Sarver owes me for keeping Shaq happy. The Wal-Mart trips were my idea.

TomAz
03-26-2008, 03:37 PM
sweet.

M Sparks
03-26-2008, 03:48 PM
Aditionally, Flagstaff is guaranteed one a month.

SOLD!

I went to two Flagstaff shows last year, and one of them was Rob Zombie, so....not exactly a stellar year up here.

mountmccabe
03-26-2008, 04:50 PM
I almost drove up to Flagstaff to see Modest Mouse sometime in 2002.

That's all I've got.

Mr. Dylanja
03-27-2008, 01:16 PM
Kanye pre-sale available, still some floor seats, passwords: STRONGER or GLOW

sddoctor
03-27-2008, 04:34 PM
Kanye pre-sale available, still some floor seats, passwords: STRONGER or GLOW

Floor seats? hmm. I don't know what kind of crowd to expect. I think I'll get the lower level seats. I was on the floor the last time U2 came through. It was cool being an arms length from bono...hahaha, that's just funny. Anyways, I think i'm in for Kanye. Keys tomorrow!

downingthief
03-28-2008, 07:08 AM
I think it is BRMC for me tonight, barring some unforeseen event. Any one else?

TomAz
03-28-2008, 07:11 AM
Two good bands in town and I have to go out of town tonight. figures.

amyzzz
03-28-2008, 07:13 AM
I don't have a babysitter (because I don't trust anyone), so I won't be there either.

downingthief
03-28-2008, 07:36 AM
Two good bands in town and I have to go out of town tonight. figures.

Where are you going, Tom?

TomAz
03-28-2008, 07:44 AM
to a funeral. in philadelphia.

downingthief
03-28-2008, 08:17 AM
Sorry to hear that. My condolences.

TomAz
03-28-2008, 08:22 AM
it's ok, fortunately I'm not the dead guy.

downingthief
03-28-2008, 08:33 AM
All in good time, Tom.

denies the day
03-29-2008, 01:05 PM
How was BRMC?

Help me out fellow PHXers: being on the limited allowance I have until Coachella, I should only do one thing tonight.

A. Go to this doo wop reunion thingy at Gammage where I will no doubt shell out a mint for as well as parking, etc. I will also get to hear The Toys sing "Lover's Concerto" live which has a very special place in my heart as being one of my first musical memories. Even if they are like three 100 year-old women. I don't even know the rest of the line up.

B. Check out the final Upstairs party at Homme in which hardcore (et al) TECHNO will be the order of the evening. Live and DJ sets. I told a few of my buddies that are performing that I'd be there. But then I found out about the Toys coming into town.

downingthief
03-31-2008, 07:54 AM
Alas, I didn't make it. Found out that an old friend was in town from London, and was having a get together. So, had to make a tough decision there. Haven't seen her in years, so it was worth it.

Had some friends that actually called ahead, and were told told plenty of tix were still available (as of about 7). They got to Martini Ranch just about 9, and were told all tix were sold! Bummer...they said they sounded great...from outside the bar.

downingthief
04-01-2008, 01:22 PM
Death Cab tix on sale this Friday. They are coming back to Mesa Amphitheatre on June 19th. New album out May 13th.

amyzzz
04-01-2008, 02:00 PM
I'm thinking about this one, although the quiet sound issue at Mesa Amph is annoying.

downingthief
04-01-2008, 02:05 PM
I saw them there last time through Amy, and I thought the sound was just fine.

Somewhat Damaged
04-01-2008, 02:13 PM
Last time DCfC played Tucson, it was with Franz Ferdinand at the UofA Centennial Hall. Too bad I wasn't familiar with either band at the time. :(

amyzzz
04-01-2008, 02:51 PM
Last time DCfC played Tucson, it was with Franz Ferdinand at the UofA Centennial Hall. Too bad I wasn't familiar with either band at the time. :(
I went to that. The sound was shitty there. (the bands were good)

Somewhat Damaged
04-01-2008, 03:28 PM
I thought you had me on ignore.

Jerm05
04-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Does this guy know how to party or what?

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/7977866_36_1.jpg

marooko
04-01-2008, 08:01 PM
sweet.

PineapplePete
04-01-2008, 08:58 PM
knhtWzPU-xU

PineapplePete
04-01-2008, 09:04 PM
This thread should be about the band.

TomAz
04-02-2008, 06:54 AM
hi Pete.

go fuck yourself.

bye Pete.

captncrzy
04-02-2008, 07:05 AM
Does this guy know how to party or what?

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/7977866_36_1.jpg

If I was him, I'd be doing that too. I can't believe he's catching shit for it. He's a young, hot, rich guy...he's not supposed to be whooping it up? Fucking conservative Arizona media assholes.

amyzzz
04-02-2008, 09:26 AM
who is it? :/

downingthief
04-02-2008, 09:47 AM
Matt Leinart of the Cardinals.

PineapplePete
04-02-2008, 12:21 PM
hi Pete.

go fuck yourself.

bye Pete.

is that all you ever have to say to me?

Jerm05
04-02-2008, 12:27 PM
lol

amyzzz
04-03-2008, 04:53 PM
So I'm going to Infected Mushroom tonight. If anyone else goes, say hi if you see anyone who resembles that pic yablo always posts.

M Sparks
04-03-2008, 05:29 PM
Matt Leinart of the Cardinals.

Ahhh.

And who is that, then? And why am I looking at his picture?

Mr. Dylanja
04-04-2008, 02:35 PM
Amy how was Infected Mushroom last night? Break it down for me...

amyzzz
04-05-2008, 06:53 AM
The first 20 minutes of IM was good, but I had to leave. A lot of hippie fans tried to help the douchey atmosphere of the Radius part of Axis/Radius, but I'm not sure if they won. Lots of energy, although the vibe at Coachella was much better. The sound was pretty good in there.

kreutz2112
04-05-2008, 09:36 AM
A lot of hippie fans tried to help the douchey atmosphere of the Radius part of Axis/Radius, but I'm not sure if they won.

this makes no sense to me. why did you leave?

stinkbutt
04-05-2008, 09:42 AM
She said hippies that's enough to make me leave or at least just start yelling FUCKING SLAYER

amyzzz
04-06-2008, 07:13 AM
I left early for personal reasons.

amyzzz
04-07-2008, 10:53 AM
I think the Edge 103.9 is giving away Coachella tickets this week in the morning (between 5:30 and 10am I think). You may have to play some sort of game to win.

quicksand
04-07-2008, 12:22 PM
How have I never seen this thread before? Anyways I'm gonna try to get the tix if The Edge is really giving them away. One time I won Blue October tickets by calling in. And of course, I never picked them up.

amyzzz
04-07-2008, 12:42 PM
I almost won coachella tickets either last year or the year before by having 4 or 5 correct trivia answers, but the person who won answered more questions correctly or something. So close.

quicksand
04-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Anybody going to see HEALTH on the 18th? They're playing the fucking Trunkspace... but I'm still going I think.

denies the day
04-08-2008, 08:04 PM
Is HEALTH confirmed? They were just here last month.

Here's my chance to make it up (with what will prolly be a shittier sound system but whatever)...

quicksand
04-08-2008, 08:38 PM
http://www.myspace.com/healthmusic

TomAz
04-08-2008, 09:12 PM
I'm in Tucson.

http://www.weblogsky.com/images2/tumbleweeds.jpg

ok, back to the Phoenix thread.

amyzzz
04-09-2008, 01:18 AM
nice tumbleweeds.

Somewhat Damaged
04-09-2008, 02:36 AM
What're you doing here, Tom? If you have time, be sure to hit Kon Tiki. Order the Scorpion.

fasttrack
04-09-2008, 02:40 AM
ahh phoenix. i'll see you after coachella buddy.

faxman75
04-09-2008, 07:49 AM
Anyone gonna check out MGMT for FREE at Tempe Marketplace Third Thursday? Imma be there......

http://tempe3rdthursdays.com/

sddoctor
04-09-2008, 07:58 AM
Anyone gonna check out MGMT for FREE at Tempe Marketplace Third Thursday? Imma be there......

http://tempe3rdthursdays.com/

Sounds good, but I think I'm committed to Cat Power at the Marquee that night. I saw MGMT at the Rhythm Room earlier this year, they were really good.

Somewhat Damaged
04-09-2008, 08:01 AM
Are you fucking kidding me? What is it with this state getting 2 great acts and having them play ON THE SAME FUCKING NIGHT?!?!?!????! Jesus buttfucking Christ, that's irritating. I'm sticking with Cat Power since I adore her and she's not going to be at Coachella, but it's aggravating all the same.

faxman75
04-09-2008, 08:13 AM
Agreed. Very aggravating. I'm gonna see MGMT because it's free I guess and I will get to see Cat Power at I think Sasquatch, is she doing Lolla as well? I'm getting all my lineups mixed up now.

captncrzy
04-09-2008, 08:28 AM
I have to hit this...I wonder what time they will go on.

faxman75
04-09-2008, 08:42 AM
I would guess around 8:30 or 8:45. It looks like two openers and it goes form 7-10.

Somewhat Damaged
04-09-2008, 09:10 AM
Fuck, then there's no way I could do both shows. I was hoping Cat Power would end by 9:30 and MGMT would start at 11. That would've suited Rick perfectly, just perfectly, but nothing seems to be going Rick's way right now. :mad:

amyzzz
04-09-2008, 09:33 AM
I don't think I like mgmt. oh well.

captncrzy
04-09-2008, 09:46 AM
Just come Amy. It'll be fun.

Somewhat Damaged
04-09-2008, 10:22 AM
Look at you. You're BFFs like Paris and Nicole.

Jerm05
04-09-2008, 10:26 AM
haha...

damn! i want to see MGMT...but Chan Marshall is a goddess

amyzzz
04-09-2008, 10:30 AM
I think I thought MGMT was Man Man. I don't like them, meaning Man Man. Damn M bands.

Somewhat Damaged
04-09-2008, 10:34 AM
So who all is going to Cat Power? Raise your hands. *Somewhat Damaged raises hand*

Jerm05
04-09-2008, 10:44 AM
i'm still mullling it over..but i'll raise my hand in this board when i make a decision...Both will be at Lolla, which i'm going to

EDIT: and yes, there are 3 L's in the work "Mulling"

captncrzy
04-09-2008, 10:45 AM
I think I thought MGMT was Man Man. I don't like them, meaning Man Man. Damn M bands.

It's free, and you get a break from the chitlins. May as well come down, Thelma. Wait...I'm Thelma. You're Louise.

Somewhat Damaged
04-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Just watch out for Brad Pitt. He may be pretty but he's got bad intentions.

amyzzz
04-09-2008, 10:55 AM
ok, mgmt is more disco-y. I'll think on it.

Mr. Dylanja
04-09-2008, 12:55 PM
So my best friend is a chef at Tapino Wine Bar and tonight he has a meeting with Maynard about selling his wine there. Lucky SOB...

Tool is his all time favorite band.

mountmccabe
04-09-2008, 03:26 PM
ok, mgmt is more disco-y. I'll think on it.

They may be more disco-y than Man Man but they are not disco-y. "Time To Pretend" is a glorious bit of 80s synth pop... but beyond that they are much more of a 70s rock and metal influenced band. "Time to Pretend" is atypical.

amyzzz
04-09-2008, 03:34 PM
I'm going by the coachella media player, k? only 2 songs.

captncrzy
04-09-2008, 03:58 PM
Nah, they only have one song that is disco-y. The rest is borderline 70's 80's pop psychedelic.

amyzzz
04-09-2008, 04:16 PM
maybe your disco-y and my disco-y are 2 separate things.

quicksand
04-09-2008, 07:49 PM
Sounds good, but I think I'm committed to Cat Power at the Marquee that night. I saw MGMT at the Rhythm Room earlier this year, they were really good.

Hey me too! Yeasayer was better though...

quicksand
04-09-2008, 07:51 PM
God dammit 18+ can suck my fucking down.

Jerm05
04-09-2008, 08:06 PM
I just got the MGMT album this evening. I'm going to give it a listen tomorrow at school and that will be my deciding factor in my plans for next Thurs.

downingthief
04-09-2008, 08:07 PM
Really liking MGMT more and more. I'm digging on "Electric Feel".

sddoctor
04-09-2008, 09:33 PM
So, with every Coachella it seems waves of good bands come through Phoenix/Tucson. I'm not complaining because I am at Coachella during this time watching most of these bands and plenty of other great bands, but sometimes I would like these bands to come through when I'm not out of town. AIR is the most glaring example of this, as well as the Chemical Brothers I believe.

This year we get to miss:

Kanye West @ McKale Center, Tucson, Thursday April 24th
Rogue Wave & Grand Ole Party @ Rhythm Room, Thursday April 24th
Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks @ Plush, Tucson, Thursday April 24th

Stars @ The Brickhouse on Friday April 25th
Caribou & Fuck Buttons @ Plush, Tucson, Friday April 25th

Man Man & Yeasayer @ The Brickhouse, Sunday April 27th

Bonde do Role @ Plush, Tucson, Monday April 28th

On a sidenote, I might have to miss Destroyer in May, because I will be on my way back from Radiohead in Houston...that sucks because I really wanted to see Destroyer, but there's still a chance.

chairmenmeow47
04-10-2008, 10:40 AM
So I'm going to Infected Mushroom tonight. If anyone else goes, say hi if you see anyone who resembles that pic yablo always posts.

i *almost* made it, and i was all sad that i wouldn't recognize you cause i've never seen this picture. i had a guest from out of town, but he preferred the blunt club so we hit that up. can i just say i wish dubstep would DIAF?! it's NOT dance music people. i wished the hip hop was on the pool table side so i could have danced to that.

did check out sage francis last friday and that was dope. some nice guy bought me and my girlfriend a drink cause he was enjoying our dancing so much. i was so freaking tired though after getting back from switzerland and having my friend in from chicago, that i fell asleep on the couch in the back!

amyzzz
04-10-2008, 10:41 AM
I think I would've recognized you, ivy, if you'd have gone. :) Jacob loves that dubstep music.

Jerm05
04-10-2008, 10:44 AM
some nice guy bought me and my girlfriend a drink cause he was enjoying our dancing so much.

I must be doing the wrong dance because that's never happened to me

amyzzz
04-10-2008, 10:50 AM
How was Switzerland, Ivy?

chairmenmeow47
04-10-2008, 12:18 PM
I must be doing the wrong dance because that's never happened to me

ha ha ha, well, we're dancing fools, what can i say?

and i figured you'd recognize me amy, but i did think about how i wouldn't recognize you and thought that was weird. i think dubstep is alright for just listening to, but i don't want to go to a club and hear it.

and switzerland was the shit! i have tons of pictures i need to post. my cousin who already is doing well for himself married into a billionaire's family, so no expense was spared! it was interesting seeing how the other .05% live... i never wanted to leave! lol. i'll post pics soon :)

Jerm05
04-11-2008, 10:13 AM
So who all is going to Cat Power? Raise your hands. *Somewhat Damaged raises hand*

*Raises Hand* luv me some George W...

http://homepage.mac.com/danielcardenas/iblog/C1532550846/E20060116100511/Media/catpower_full.jpg

TomAz
04-11-2008, 10:28 AM
Minus the Bear, Man Man, Rogue Wave, Stars & the Swell Season all hitting PHX right before or after Coachella.

The Swell Season show might be cool, they're being joined by John Covertino and Joey Burns. (if you don't know those are the guys from Calexico).

TomAz
04-11-2008, 10:51 AM
Also, give me your opinion on this. My 12 year old wants me to take her and her buddies to Panic at the Disco, Motion City Soundtrack, The Hush Sound and Phantom Planet on Sunday. at the mesa amp. should i?

mountmccabe
04-11-2008, 10:52 AM
Yes.

TomAz
04-11-2008, 10:54 AM
we'll see if she does the laundry this weekend like she's supposed to

mountmccabe
04-11-2008, 10:55 AM
It's Mesa Amp so it'll end early and y'all won't be out too late. I really like Mesa Amp except for the whole starting earlier than the tickets say and ending by 10 pm thing... but in this case those should be positives.

I shudder at those bands but if they're bands she wants to see then it would be way cool of you to support that.

amyzzz
04-11-2008, 11:03 AM
AND they won't lose their hearing because it's not very loud there.