PDA

View Full Version : The Phoenix Thread!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88

LooseAtTheZoo
08-12-2009, 01:04 PM
nice! ticket details avail?

I am also intereste. I will be home by then.

I like how this is the the thread I post in when I know I noly have access to super-slow computers for a super-short time.

John, are you for sure going to ATP? I don't know if I'll be able to, but I definitely want to try and see some of the other Sufjan shows.

Jason, what do you know about a taping device called an H2 Zoom? One of my friends recorded some shows at Lollapalooza with it.

Hopefully I will be back to posting semi-regularly in a couple of weeks.

westcoastpirate
08-12-2009, 01:23 PM
Is there an album I should start with?

I saw !!! at the Brickhouse last time they came to town and they destoyed the place, but they always destroy it live. !!! will be pure insanity in a small place like the Rhythm Room. Check out the album Louden Up Now, it has the track Me and Giuliani Down by the School Yard (A True Story). But the songs are more diverse on their third album, Myth Takes.

And the Sounds are coming to town Friday Oct 16th at Marquee Theater. Sah-weet. I love weekend shows.

...and damn Pinback is the next night, Sat Oct 17th at the Marquee. I think I'll be tossing a coin to decide which show to attend since I hate that place.

Somewhat Damaged
08-12-2009, 01:49 PM
Mark, I like Bon Iver's album quite a bit, but !!! is the best choice hands down. I caught them at Congress a couple years ago and it was insane. Small venue + raucous crowd + band killing it = great time.
I'm worried that I may not have the energy to make it. Flight leaves to New York around 8 on Monday morning, I get in around 5, and since the show starts at 8, I'll probably just head straight to the venue. My flight leaves at, like, 6:30 the following morning, so I'll want to be at the airport by 5, so I'm thinking of just roaming the mean streets of New York overnight unless a situation works out that I've been semi-negotiating to crash at a place for a few hours. If not, then I'll be on no sleep, which would make it a lot more hardcore of me to end up making it to the show.

karma_guy
08-12-2009, 02:15 PM
just see both
bon iver in tucson
and !!! in tucson

amyzzz
08-12-2009, 02:16 PM
I hate !!!. Just wanted to put my 2 cents in.

Alligator Bogaloo
08-12-2009, 02:45 PM
I hate !!!. Just wanted to put my 2 cents in.

Talk about a Debbie downer....:nono...ha! j/k.

Alligator Bogaloo
08-12-2009, 05:32 PM
I wish there was more of a group going to DM here. :/ Just Jen and (begrudgingly) Rick and me.

If you have an extra ticket i'll come along.

sin213
08-12-2009, 06:40 PM
Jason will be happy to know Bus Driver is returning oh and Ivysaur too.

Busdriver @ Club Red Oct. 01

yep. i'll be there for sure. same night as sonic youth, but last time busdriver didn't go on til about 1:30am, so it should be easy to catch both. you comin this time?? i would highly recommend it. ;)

sin213
08-12-2009, 06:47 PM
Jason, what do you know about a taping device called an H2 Zoom? One of my friends recorded some shows at Lollapalooza with it.

yep. it's a decent little recorder. pretty similar to mine.

http://www.hometownmusic.net/v2/recording/recimages/zoom_h2.jpghttp://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/images/oreilly/digitalmedia/2006/08/09-front-angle.jpg

Somewhat Damaged
08-12-2009, 08:43 PM
Hey, if you're in New York on December 16 and have nothing planned, I've got something you can do:

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 6:44 PM, Barney Oldfield <barney@********> wrote:

NewFilmmakers NY

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Dear Rick:

We are pleased to inform you that NewFilmmakers has selected Somewhat Damaged to be part of our upcoming New York Fall 2009 Series. The complete Fall Schedule is online.

NewFilmmakers gives you the opportunity to promote your film in New York and we encourage you to supplement our promotional efforts with your own publicity and promotion. Much of the audience for our screening will come from your personal efforts with friends, family, and associates.

Please confirm by email that you will be able / not able to screen your film on this date. At that time let us know any corrections that we should make in your listing. Under no circumstances contact Anthology. Their staff is not involved in the programming and operations of NewFilmmakers.

I have attached some useful information about the NewFilmmakers Series. If you will be in New York when your film screens, we hope that you will be able to join us.

Sincerely,

Barney Oldfield
Executive Producer

Post Office Draw 4956
New York NY 10185-4956

The hilarious thing about this is that I submitted my film to this particular "festival" on accident. I meant to submit it to the NewFilmmakers Los Angeles branch but when I was going through the motions online, I didn't realize I'd clicked on the wrong link until I'd already submitted my payment. I figured that was another $20 down the drain. Suffice it to say, I'm amazed I was wrong!

Mr. Dylanja
08-12-2009, 08:45 PM
Awesome Rick :thu

karma_guy
08-12-2009, 08:49 PM
major congrats man!
i might actually be in NYC in december so maybe i'll be around and be able to check it out

sin213
08-12-2009, 08:57 PM
that's totally awesome, rick! way to go!

TommyboyUNM
08-12-2009, 09:02 PM
Rick that's fucking great. Congrats. I'm holding a screening of Somewhat Damaged tomorrow evening. Thanks for remembering to send it with Jenn to Lolla.

amyzzz
08-13-2009, 10:20 AM
Oh, I put my congrats in the movie thread. Congrats again! I enjoyed your film.

higgybaby23
08-13-2009, 10:30 AM
Congrats Rick!

I look forward to seeing your film. Best of luck in NYC!

Somewhat Damaged
08-13-2009, 10:52 AM
Thanks, everybody! My company actually has a strict "no time off" policy in December and January but there's no way I'm missing out on a chance to network in New York in support of a screening of my film. They'll understand, I'm sure. And I've got to be mindful to keep some sick days open so I can get paid.

karma: if you do happen to be in town 'round that time, we should meet up.

Tommy: you're welcome & hope you enjoy it.

chairmenmeow47
08-13-2009, 10:54 AM
congrats rick, awesome!

and jason, i think you've scared us right out of going to the water park saturday. fuck one hour waits.

mountmccabe
08-13-2009, 11:03 AM
John, are you for sure going to ATP? I don't know if I'll be able to, but I definitely want to try and see some of the other Sufjan shows.

I am 100% going. I have my ticket, room, rental car, flights and lots of excitement. Let me know if you're gonna be able to make it!

And Rick, that is so awesome.

faxman75
08-13-2009, 11:07 AM
My congrats doesn't seem to work. Everytime I post it the board goes slow and loses it. So, again. Congrats!

faxman75
08-13-2009, 11:09 AM
For those with kids...

http://www.stumbleupon.com/s/#2y7TXT/www.parcfuncenters.com/promo10.aspx/

I know this is good at Fidlesticks locations but they seem to be national so check it out. $10 for unlimited all day pass.

http://e2ma.net/userdata/25340/images/e1250171409.jpg

faxman75
08-13-2009, 03:54 PM
So has anyone seen Faux Punk at Axis/Radius? :lool I laughed when I saw a Daft Punk cover band. I mean, what do they do, press play?

Mr. Dylanja
08-13-2009, 03:56 PM
I bet it's better than 99% of the music that's normally played there.

When is it? I know zzzizzzles is down!

amyzzz
08-13-2009, 04:12 PM
I saw that in the new times. funny.

westcoastpirate
08-13-2009, 08:16 PM
The funny thing is I'm friends with the girl who wrote the article, haha:

Faux Punk (Daft Punk tribute). Silver Medallion, DJ Epidemic, & DJ Soloman
Date/Time:Fri., August 7, 10:00pm
Price: $5
School of Mock
Daft Punk cover act may be bogus, but it’s pretty damn good
By Adriane Goetz
School of Mock

Normally, we liken the tribute-band experience to that of watching our favorite movies through a Cricket cell phone, but somehow NYC’s Daft Punk cover DJ crew, Faux Punk, makes the “next best thing” seem pretty damn good. Flossing the same android helmets, music equipment, and laser lights, Faux Punk recently shared the bill with Sonic Youth at Seattle’s Capitol Hill Block Party.

On Friday, August 7, there are sure to be plenty of inebriated ignoramuses who think they’re watching the real deal when the digital duo “Robot Rock” the House 7340 at Axis/Radius.

sin213
08-13-2009, 08:24 PM
congrats rick, awesome!

and jason, i think you've scared us right out of going to the water park saturday. fuck one hour waits.

yeah, it was brutal the first time we went. we went really late on a sunday and it wasn't bad. still a wait, but worth the ride you get. its a fun water park.

I just got this in an email:
Third Thursday is coming around the corner and we are bringing bona fide rock stars to play for you in the name of Street Sweeper Social Club (Tom Morello of Rage Against The Machine & Audioslave), along with the Great Northern & W.I.N.C. This show is free & all ages, & goes down on Craftsman Court between Dos Gringos & Upper Deck in old town Scottsdale on Thursday, August 20th.

Who's goin? I'm gonna try and make it!

karma_guy
08-13-2009, 09:11 PM
also the bravery are playing the rialto in early november

Alligator Bogaloo
08-13-2009, 09:14 PM
I just noticed that Amy is going to three concerts on consecutive nights. That's hardcore.

captncrzy
08-14-2009, 07:42 AM
also the bravery are playing the rialto in early november

I just saw them for free in Kansas City. Not bad.

captncrzy
08-14-2009, 07:44 AM
yeah, it was brutal the first time we went. we went really late on a sunday and it wasn't bad. still a wait, but worth the ride you get. its a fun water park.

Third Thursday is coming around the corner and we are bringing bona fide rock stars to play for you in the name of Street Sweeper Social Club (Tom Morello of Rage Against The Machine & Audioslave), along with the Great Northern & W.I.N.C. This show is free & all ages, & goes down on Craftsman Court between Dos Gringos & Upper Deck in old town Scottsdale on Thursday, August 20th.

God, I hate that Dos Gringos. It's so douchey.

RotationSlimWang
08-14-2009, 07:49 AM
I'd go see a Daft cover band.

captncrzy
08-14-2009, 07:53 AM
I saw the Faux Punk ad in the New Times yesterday; guess I was reading last week's issue. Would have gone had I been in town. Looks like their "tour" ended Saturday.

amyzzz
08-14-2009, 09:04 AM

The thing is I liked what I heard when we saw them open for NIN here...but they're not normally my style of music, so I'm gonna be prejudiced and not go prolly. And like Micah said I'm seeing 3 shows in a row the following weekend. :thu

chairmenmeow47
08-14-2009, 10:12 AM
the dos gringos in scottsdale venue layout is awesome. i just wish it wasn't douche central.

Gribbz
08-14-2009, 11:15 AM
I was listening to satellite radio not too long ago and they were playing nothing but Daft Punk covers. Punk, hip-hop, pop, indie rock bands all covering Daft Punk. It was pretty good.

amyzzz
08-14-2009, 01:22 PM
Joh Hughes film festival at the Valley Art today! and maybe for longer than today

16 Candles (PG, 93 min)

7:20 PM
The Breakfast Club (R, 97 min)

5:05 PM
Ferris Bueller's Day Off (PG, 103 min)

9:35 PM
Planes, Trains and Automobiles (R, 93 min)

12:30 PM
Pretty in Pink (PG-13, 96 min)

2:50 PM
Weird Science (PG-13, 94 min)

12:00 AM (Friday Midnight)

edit: it's for 1 week and is $5 per show.

westcoastpirate
08-14-2009, 01:22 PM
What a turn of events, Bob Dylan playing the State Fair on Sat Oct 17th, $20 for reserved seats:

Bob Dylan to rock State Fair

11 comments by Ed Masley - Aug. 14, 2009 12:50 PM
The Arizona Republic

A week after canceling out of his local ballpark engagement when it came to light that Phoenix has hot summers, rock legend Bob Dylan is back on the books with a headlining gig at the Arizona State Fair on Saturday, Oct. 17.

Other acts in this year's State Fair Concert Series are two American Idols (David Cook and Kelly Clarkson), two reunited '90s rock acts (the Black Crowes and Stone Temple Pilots), ABBA: The Music,an old-school soul jam, a former Cheetah Girl (Raven-Symone) and lots of country (Lady Antebellum, John Michael Montgomery, Rodney Atkins and Little Big Town all headlining separate country lineups).

Reserved seats for the Dylan show are only $20 and all other seats are free with fair admission.

For more information on any State Fair show, go to azstatefair.com.

Alligator Bogaloo
08-14-2009, 01:53 PM
That's awesome, Bobby D is comin back to the fair, he was there a few years back. Had a lot of fun at that show.

karma_guy
08-14-2009, 04:08 PM
hey so it looks like i'm going to get to work with Calexico and a local film guy and his company on calexico's upcoming live DVD!
so psyched

sin213
08-14-2009, 05:48 PM
show alert:
GOGOL BORDELLO & the APOSTLE OF HUSTLE
10/21
Rialto Theatre

update:
will be at marquee as well.

10/20
Marquee Theatre

i'll probably go to both shows. I LOVE GOGOL! :D

cubrocker
08-14-2009, 05:49 PM
ill be venturing up to the valley from southern az to see sonic youth

sin213
08-14-2009, 05:52 PM
hey so it looks like i'm going to get to work with Calexico and a local film guy and his company on calexico's upcoming live DVD!
so psyched

that's pretty cool!

Alligator Bogaloo
08-14-2009, 06:51 PM
update:

10/20
Marquee Theatre

Gogol at the marquee here I come.

westcoastpirate
08-14-2009, 09:19 PM
update:

10/20
Marquee Theatre

Son of a bitch! I'll be in Seattle at a Conference on the 20th of October. Apostle of Hustle is not a bad opener either.

Somewhat Damaged
08-14-2009, 11:40 PM
How much do tickets cost to the State Fair? I've never been and would generally turn my nose up at going -- the crowds; the parking; *shudder* -- but if I can see Bob Dylan for a max of $20, that's a fucking score. That would make my upcoming concert calendar look like so:

Depeche Mode (with Peter Bjorn and John) - US Airways Center - 8/23
Fever Ray - Webster Hall (NYC) - 9/28
The Dodos - Modified - 9/30
Pixies - O2 Academy (London) - 10/7
Bob Dylan - AZ State Fair - 10/17

Which ain't a bad concert calendar, not by a damn sight.

Of course, it could be better. I could be making it to Heartless Bastards on 9/5, but Jen reminded me we've got her friend's wedding to attend. :nono At least it ain't a gay wedding that's causing me to miss Coachella; I'll always have that over MalcolmJamalAwesome.

captncrzy
08-15-2009, 08:05 AM
Son of a bitch! I'll be in Seattle at a Conference on the 20th of October. Apostle of Hustle is not a bad opener either.

Look up fikus when you get up there; he's good peeps. So is Boarderwoozle.

The fair is a hilarious place to see a show. That venue is, quite possibly, the biggest operating dump in the country. Saw the Pet Shop Boys there a few years ago; if I remember right, there were two ticket options...GA for the fair admission or $20 for reserved seats. We just chose the GA option and got a great spot.

faxman75
08-15-2009, 08:09 AM
so psyched

That's pretty awesome!

LooseAtTheZoo
08-15-2009, 11:15 AM
Hey, if you're in New York on December 16 and have nothing planned, I've got something you can do:

The hilarious thing about this is that I submitted my film to this particular "festival" on accident. I meant to submit it to the NewFilmmakers Los Angeles branch but when I was going through the motions online, I didn't realize I'd clicked on the wrong link until I'd already submitted my payment. I figured that was another $20 down the drain. Suffice it to say, I'm amazed I was wrong!

I'll be there

Who's goin? I'm gonna try and make it![/QUOTE]

Is that this coming Thursday, the 20th?

How much do tickets cost to the State Fair? I've never been and would generally turn my nose up at going -- the crowds; the parking; *shudder* -- but if I can see Bob Dylan for a max of $20, that's a fucking score. That would make my upcoming concert calendar look like so:

Depeche Mode (with Peter Bjorn and John) - US Airways Center - 8/23
Fever Ray - Webster Hall (NYC) - 9/28
The Dodos - Modified - 9/30
Pixies - O2 Academy (London) - 10/7
Bob Dylan - AZ State Fair - 10/17

Which ain't a bad concert calendar, not by a damn sight.

Of course, it could be better. I could be making it to Heartless Bastards on 9/5, but Jen reminded me we've got her friend's wedding to attend. :nono At least it ain't a gay wedding that's causing me to miss Coachella; I'll always have that over MalcolmJamalAwesome.

I will most likely also be at that Fever Ray show. I am also trying to get some friends together to see Depeche Mode here, that's not sold out, is it?

Gribbz
08-15-2009, 11:45 AM
Junior Boys at Plush, October 17th.

westcoastpirate
08-15-2009, 04:42 PM

God damn it, why do I have to be at a conference in Seattle that weekend, seriously that's a crazy night for music in AZ; Dylan-State Fair, Pinback-Marquee Theatre, now Junior Boys.

You'd have to pick one, but that's some good choosin'

I'll be missing the Sounds on Oct 16th and Gogol on the 20th too. Fucking conference.

westcoastpirate
08-15-2009, 04:43 PM
Look up fikus when you get up there; he's good peeps. So is Boarderwoozle.

The fair is a hilarious place to see a show. That venue is, quite possibly, the biggest operating dump in the country. Saw the Pet Shop Boys there a few years ago; if I remember right, there were two ticket options...GA for the fair admission or $20 for reserved seats. We just chose the GA option and got a great spot.

We went and saw Weezer at the fair this year with Angels and Airwaves (barf) and Tokyo Police Club. $10 to get in GA.

Gribbz
08-15-2009, 05:34 PM
I hear Bob Dylan is rather MEHpic these days. I'll probably go to Junior Boys.

cubrocker
08-15-2009, 07:57 PM
God damn it, why do I have to be at a conference in Seattle that weekend, seriously that's a crazy night for music in AZ; Dylan-State Fair, Pinback-Marquee Theatre, now Junior Boys.

You'd have to pick one, but that's some good choosin'

I'll be missing the Sounds on Oct 16th and Gogol on the 20th too. Fucking conference.

i hate that i work saturday nights and wont get to see pinback :*(

captncrzy
08-16-2009, 08:19 AM
I'll be there

I will most likely also be at that Fever Ray show. I am also trying to get some friends together to see Depeche Mode here, that's not sold out, is it?

Are you moving to New York or something? I'm sure Rick will be in contact with you...I think he needs a place to crash after Fever Ray for a couple of hours. I'll be there in December too.

No, DM isn't sold out.

Son of a bitch. We're going to do Bob Dylan instead. Dylan is one of Rick's favorites.

unknown
08-16-2009, 09:49 AM
Jen, let's plan something in AZ so I can come out and visit. Weekends are best. I understand if something after your trip is better for you.

captncrzy
08-16-2009, 11:10 AM
Come whenever you want; other than the weekend of September 5 and between October 1 and October 10.

mountmccabe
08-16-2009, 11:12 AM

Dylan isn't going to play his songs like they are on his albums but he is still fucking Dylan and still being adventurous and like Rick said if we can see him for $20 even in a shitty venue and situation that's impossible for me to pass on.

captncrzy
08-16-2009, 11:16 AM
Dylan isn't going to play his songs like they are on his albums but he is still fucking Dylan and still being adventurous and like Rick said if we can see him for $20 even in a shitty venue and situation that's impossible for me to pass on.

Woohoo! Corn dog and cotton candy meetup before the show.

PC-2 Violence
08-16-2009, 11:41 AM
Not trying to be completely shameless, but I would like to let everyone know that I have published a book. It is a 100 pages of full on professional photography and street art mixed in with my own personal journal entries.

http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/812523

I am also from Phoenix and the majority of these photos took place in the greater Phoenix area.

I also want to add that "MAC" the graffiti surrealist is featured in this months Juxtapoz and is also featured in my book. Please take a look and support your Coachella fam!

Somewhat Damaged
08-16-2009, 11:58 AM
I'll be there

I will most likely also be at that Fever Ray show.

Awesome, glad to hear it! For Fever Ray, my window to do anything is pretty limited. I think I wrote about it in here already but basically my flight gets in a few hours before the show starts, then I've got to be at the airport at 5 the following morning, so I won't have much time to do any sight-seeing. December, though, that should be a blast. So yeah, as Jen asked, are you moving there for school?

Not trying to be completely shameless, but I would like to let everyone know that I have published a book. It is a 100 pages of full on professional photography and street art mixed in with my own personal journal entries.

I also want to add that "MAC" the graffiti surrealist is featured in this months Juxtapoz and is also featured in my book. Please take a look and support your Coachella fam!

Congrats, AJ!

Alligator Bogaloo
08-16-2009, 12:44 PM

Preach it Brother John.

This is definitely a go. Should be a lot of fun. Reserve tickets go on sale on 9/12 through ticketmaster.

Gribbz
08-16-2009, 01:01 PM
Easy killer.

M Sparks
08-16-2009, 01:21 PM

Dylan? WTF?

I might spring for reserved tickets if I were you, Rick. Pet Shop Boys was on a Wednesday and the place was only 1/3 full, so that was an unusual case. Weekend shows can be packed. Reserved will probably sell out, which means you have to go to the upper deck. It would be worth the $10-$20 to not have to camp out on the ramp all day for a seat.

BTW, I remember when you pretty much HAD to go to VMC for any big show. I saw Depeche Mode there multiple times, Rush (you gotta problem?), Boingo (actually, that was a Fair show)...that was the only big indoor venue we had- the other choice was Compton Terrace.

Even if you buy a reserved ticket, you still have to pay fair admission. So, if the ticket is $20, you'll really have to pay $30.

westcoastpirate
08-16-2009, 04:34 PM

I heard from a co-worker they have fried Coke. Totally worth going to the fair to pick one of those up:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fried_Coke

captncrzy
08-16-2009, 04:42 PM

http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/812523

I am also from Phoenix and the majority of these photos took place in the greater Phoenix area.

I demand a meetup so we can see your book. I demand it!

Alligator Bogaloo
08-17-2009, 12:47 PM
From the It Might Get Loud Thread.

This is only playing north Scottsdale on one night: Sept 11. :nono

Link please.

amyzzz
08-17-2009, 01:15 PM
It's playing at Harkins Shea 14 on Sept 11th. Google it. or try one of the other links in that thread.

Alligator Bogaloo
08-17-2009, 01:16 PM
thank you.

Mr. Dylanja
08-17-2009, 01:41 PM
All this Dylan talk is flattering.

M Sparks
08-17-2009, 02:02 PM
I can't imagine why any of you would want this, but just in case...they have a pass this year that gets you into the fair every day (including the upper tier at shows) for $21.

mountmccabe
08-17-2009, 02:05 PM
Rush (you gotta problem?)

I was at that show.

M Sparks
08-17-2009, 02:11 PM
I was at that show.

I bet they played there a bunch of times. This was the show where they had the giant inflatable rabbits.

Alligator Bogaloo
08-17-2009, 03:02 PM
Back before they had US Airways arena, Jobing.com arena, dodge theater, cardinals stadium., and cricket pavillion, most of the tours went through vmc. Many, many years ago.

amyzzz
08-17-2009, 03:06 PM
I saw Depeche Mode at the Coliseum.

Mr. Dylanja
08-17-2009, 03:11 PM
I saw The Smoker's Ball there in high school. *cough cough*

amyzzz
08-17-2009, 03:16 PM
I saw NIN with Marilyn Manson and Jim Rose Side Circus there too.

Mr. Dylanja
08-17-2009, 03:17 PM
Beach Boys!

amyzzz
08-17-2009, 03:20 PM
I think I saw Beach Boys at the fair there. with my parents.

mountmccabe
08-17-2009, 03:23 PM
I bet they played there a bunch of times. This was the show where they had the giant inflatable rabbits.

Haha. I am guessing that's a different show, then.

I did see them at VMC, and once at AWA, I think. Both in the 90s. That's it, though.

westcoastpirate
08-17-2009, 03:32 PM
I only saw basketball games at VMC.

M Sparks
08-17-2009, 03:47 PM
I saw Depeche Mode at the Coliseum.

Awesome shows...one with Nitzer Ebb, one with The The.

Who's opening for DM this year? It was Stabbing Westward over and over for years...like they just gave up.

amyzzz
08-17-2009, 03:51 PM
PB&J

Alligator Bogaloo
08-17-2009, 04:11 PM
Are Jenn, Rick, and Amy meeting for food and drinks before the DM show? I might show up for a drink or two. Let me know if you are.

LooseAtTheZoo
08-17-2009, 04:14 PM
Are you moving to New York or something? I'm sure Rick will be in contact with you...I think he needs a place to crash after Fever Ray for a couple of hours. I'll be there in December too.

No, DM isn't sold out.

Awesome, glad to hear it! For Fever Ray, my window to do anything is pretty limited. I think I wrote about it in here already but basically my flight gets in a few hours before the show starts, then I've got to be at the airport at 5 the following morning, so I won't have much time to do any sight-seeing. December, though, that should be a blast. So yeah, as Jen asked, are you moving there for school?

Yep, I'm going to NYU. Leave in a couple of weeks.

amyzzz
08-17-2009, 04:23 PM
Are Jenn, Rick, and Amy meeting for food and drinks before the DM show? I might show up for a drink or two. Let me know if you are.
That's up to Rick and Jen.

Somewhat Damaged
08-17-2009, 09:43 PM

We say yes. As to where, Jen will decree the location. Not because I'm not assertive enough to make the decision, but because she's familiar with what's in the area that would be worth a damn.

TomAz
08-18-2009, 07:20 AM

I thought you were boycotting dinosaurs.

captncrzy
08-18-2009, 07:26 AM
Yep, I'm going to NYU. Leave in a couple of weeks.

Wow, that's awesome! Ok, so I guess we'll see you in December then.

We say yes. As to where, Jen will decree the location. Not because I'm not assertive enough to make the decision, but because she's familiar with what's in the area that would be worth a damn.

I thought we already decided to go to Carly's for $2 beers and yummy sammies? Other option is Seamus McCaffrey's for Irish beer and fish/chips.

I say Carly's.

amyzzz
08-18-2009, 08:29 AM
Either sounds good to me.

Gribbz
08-18-2009, 06:43 PM
I don't know if you guys have heard of Portugal The Man but they are playing at The Clubhouse September 29th.

Download "The Satanic Satanist" if you haven't heard them.

karma_guy
08-18-2009, 07:52 PM
I don't know if you guys have heard of Portugal The Man but they are playing at The Clubhouse September 29th.

such a good album

Mr. Dylanja
08-18-2009, 08:08 PM
Too bad The Clubhouse is THE WORST.

Gribbz
08-18-2009, 08:10 PM
I'm still probably going to go though. I've been to worse venues.

Anyone coming down for Los Campensinos! Thursday?

LooseAtTheZoo
08-18-2009, 09:16 PM

Portugal The Man also played an absolutely incredible set at Bonnaroo this year. Just mindblowing. Don't miss them in a small venue like the Clubhouse.

Gribbz
08-18-2009, 09:21 PM
Portugal The Man also played an absolutely incredible set at Bonnaroo this year. Just mindblowing. Don't miss them in a small venue like the Clubhouse.

Nice Gonshman. I just started listening to them today. Thanks for the heads up. :thu

PC-2 Violence
08-18-2009, 09:55 PM
I would love to have a meetup. Here is a link to the book.

http://www.blurb.com/my/book/detail/812523

I am going to try to have a release party with copies to buy right then with some fun DJs spinning so I expect to see everyone there.

mountmccabe
08-18-2009, 10:06 PM
I thought you were boycotting dinosaurs.

I am boycotting dinosaurs that (a) are playing the same thing they did 40 (or 30 or 20) years ago and/or other "new" music they've done that's a pale imitation of what made them great and (b) command $50+ a ticket.

I've heard very interesting things about how Dylan does a show nowadays and I wanna hear it. Especially if I only have to pay $30 to do so.

Yes! I was wavering but then I listened to We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed again on Saturday whilst cleaning. Damn they're good. You going?

Gribbz
08-18-2009, 10:24 PM
Yes! I was wavering but then I listened to We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed again on Saturday whilst cleaning. Damn they're good. You going?

I'll be there for sure. Apparently there will be festivities downtown since the 4th ave underpass is finally opening.

Alligator Bogaloo
08-19-2009, 08:18 AM

I will be driving down with John so you'll have a couple of Phoenix people in the house.

karma_guy
08-19-2009, 08:23 AM
i'll say it again:
goddam 21+ shows

Mr. Dylanja
08-19-2009, 10:05 AM
psssst....Phoenix Thread, they released some NIN tickets to the NYC shows today which leads me to believe they may release more for the LA shows soon. Keep an eye out.

amyzzz
08-19-2009, 10:07 AM
:nono

Mr. Dylanja
08-19-2009, 10:09 AM
zzzizzz, you're going to get a ticket and come!

amyzzz
08-19-2009, 10:15 AM
zzzizzz, you're going to get a ticket and come!
tmi

Gribbz
08-19-2009, 10:16 AM
I will be driving down with John so you'll have a coupe of Phoenix people in the house.

Awesome. I don't know what time Los Camp hits the stage but there's some opening band called "Girls." I'll probably be having a few drinks beforehand.

Mr. Dylanja
08-19-2009, 10:24 AM
tmi

PC-2 Violence
08-19-2009, 11:48 AM
Where are all my pppplz? I am going crazy out here. Give me a reason to cause trouble plz frenz.

TomAz
08-19-2009, 11:57 AM

I wish that this was on Friday or in Phoenix. I would really like to go to this.

mountmccabe
08-19-2009, 12:40 PM
You should ride with us. You can sleep in the backseat on the way home. You can sleep to black metal, right?

amyzzz
08-19-2009, 01:45 PM
If anyone needs to get rid of Green Day tickets (for Saturday), let me know. I'm waiting until the last minute here.

LooseAtTheZoo
08-19-2009, 02:14 PM
I am also in the market for Green Day and Depeche Mode tickets.

sbessiso
08-19-2009, 02:15 PM
So when am I coming to your lovely state to party and dance?

I am also in the market for Green Day and Depeche Mode tickets.

Don't give up on DM, dude. One of the greatest shows I have ever experienced. I'm actually driving 4 hours upstate to Tampa to see them with $10 lawn seats. Lolla was just not enough

amyzzz
08-19-2009, 02:15 PM
Saturday?

LooseAtTheZoo
08-19-2009, 02:20 PM
So when am I coming to your lovely state to party and dance?

Don't give up on DM, dude. One of the greatest shows I have ever experienced. I'm actually driving 4 hours upstate to Tampa to see them with $10 lawn seats. Lolla was just not enough

I'm budgeting way less than I probably need to get a decent ticket. I'm guessing I'll just end up waiting until after the first song and buy a ten buck nosebleed, just to get inside.

sbessiso
08-19-2009, 02:21 PM
Do anything it takes to get inside. Their visuals are so top notch, so many bands can take lessons from them and just this current tour

amyzzz
08-19-2009, 02:21 PM
Sunday then. :cat

sbessiso
08-19-2009, 02:22 PM
Aww Amy! I didn't mean quite that soon but I realized I know almost the whole lot of you and have never been to Arizona! It'll happen!

amyzzz
08-19-2009, 02:23 PM
There aren't any exciting events that would propel you to be here though. Just peeps.

cubrocker
08-19-2009, 02:24 PM
Aww Amy! I didn't mean quite that soon but I realized I know almost the whole lot of you and have never been to Arizona! It'll happen!

arizona really isnt a prime destination for your list of places to see... i promise

amyzzz
(other than the aforementioned Saturday and Sunday). Actually, The Killers are coming here in Sept 28th.

sbessiso
Dylanja in his workout shorty shorts is a good enough event to propel me

(other than the aforementioned Saturday and Sunday). Actually, The Killers are coming here in Sept 28th.

You have no idea how badly I want to see THE KILLERS in Vegas. Theyre playing there in 4 weeks and I cannot even imagine how magical a hometown show is for them

amyzzz
08-19-2009, 02:25 PM
arizona really isnt a prime destination for your list of places to see... i promise
Sedona is pretty. I'm going there for my bday.

cubrocker
08-19-2009, 02:29 PM
Sedona is pretty. I'm going there for my bday.

yes lots of red dirt and overpriced novelties! every time ive been to sedona ive stayed in flagstaff and headed to sedona for the day, its a bit cheaper- it is very very beautiful up there though! i hope you enjoy a wonderful birthday in sedona with the energy vortexes.

http://www.childrenofthesun.tv/images/main-sedona-vortex.jpg

i grew up in phoenix (well the east valley, chandler/tempe) and live in tucson now. and actually i think tucson might be the best place in az haha.

amyzzz
08-19-2009, 02:35 PM
I have a timeshare there, so I guess I'm used to paying for the pricey shit every month. I go to Sedona about once a month anyway to visit my parents or drop off the kids.

sbessiso
08-19-2009, 02:37 PM

Yeah but....

There aren't any exciting events that would propel you to be here though. Just peeps.

I :pulse you guys

Oh and in case anyone forgot, me and Dylanja both share the same birthday and I REALLY think we should have one big party for the two of us

cubrocker
08-19-2009, 02:47 PM
I have a timeshare there, so I guess I'm used to paying for the pricey shit every month. I go to Sedona about once a month anyway to visit my parents or drop off the kids.

oh cool! your parents live there.... awesome. my parents live in chandler- i only go there maybe twice a year haha.

Gribbz
08-19-2009, 02:49 PM
Sedona is beautiful. I wish I could go more often.

sbessiso
08-19-2009, 02:52 PM
I wish I could come and see !!! with you guys

Mr. Dylanja
08-19-2009, 02:54 PM
:cat

amyzzz
08-19-2009, 02:56 PM
Oh and in case anyone forgot, me and Dylanja both share the same birthday and I REALLY think we should have one big party for the two of us
Hell yeah, as long as your bdays aren't on Coachella weekend.

TomAz
08-19-2009, 08:56 PM
You should ride with us. You can sleep in the backseat on the way home. You can sleep to black metal, right?

I can't sleep to crickets. or Crickets. let alone metal.

Young blood
08-19-2009, 09:03 PM
^ old white racism.

M Sparks
08-20-2009, 09:32 AM
^ old white racism.

Ya lost me...

downingthief
08-20-2009, 09:39 AM
I wish that this was on Friday or in Phoenix. I would really like to go to this.

I'm getting tired of the Old Pueblo getting the good shows. Heathens.

amyzzz
08-20-2009, 09:44 AM
I'm getting ready to storm Tucson's castle and steal all their shows away. Who's with me?

M Sparks
08-20-2009, 09:48 AM
I'm getting ready to storm Tucson's castle and steal all their shows away. Who's with me?

Maybe if people in Phoenix would stop constantly showing shoes at the stage. And bottles.

I don't know if it's as bad as it used to be, but Phoenix used to have a bad rep. I remember reading an article in the Republic listing a bunch of notorious incidents. I think some bands just avoid it.

amyzzz
08-20-2009, 09:53 AM
I've never seen that. Must be at different shows.

downingthief
08-20-2009, 09:58 AM
Most avoid Phoenix because of "geo-coding" tours. Tucson is an easier trek to San Diego, NM, El Paso, etc.

Gribbz
08-20-2009, 10:26 AM

Don't give them an inch!

Alligator Bogaloo
08-20-2009, 10:32 AM
I predict tonights show of Los Campesinos! is going to get so crazy that the show will end up in the street in front of Hotel Congress. Or, I will end up being passed out in the gutter in front of Hotel Congress. Win/Win.

Gribbz
08-20-2009, 10:34 AM
Maybe if people in Phoenix would stop constantly showing shoes at the stage. And bottles.

I don't know if it's as bad as it used to be, but Phoenix used to have a bad rep. I remember reading an article in the Republic listing a bunch of notorious incidents. I think some bands just avoid it.

I remember this happening at shows (in Phoenix) when I was in middle school. I wouldn't be caught dead at those kind of shows now though.

cubrocker
08-20-2009, 11:48 AM
I'm getting tired of the Old Pueblo getting the good shows. Heathens.

mahahahaha "heathens"

see yall tonight then?

cubrocker
08-20-2009, 11:51 AM
Or, I will end up being passed out in the gutter in front of Hotel Congress. Win/Win.

i think thats a relatively common result actually.

westcoastpirate
08-20-2009, 11:52 AM
Tucson sux

cubrocker
08-20-2009, 11:57 AM
Tucson sux

yes and no.

it does suck yes... but its still better than phoenix. and when youre gone from tucson you miss it.

Romy and Michelle came back didnt they?

wPTUpn9ait8

westcoastpirate
08-20-2009, 12:05 PM
Romy and Michelle came back didnt they?

Are you trying to prove Tuscon doesn't suck?

amyzzz
08-20-2009, 12:06 PM
If Tucson sucks, they only suck slightly more than Phoenix does.

cubrocker
08-20-2009, 12:09 PM
Are you trying to prove Tuscon doesn't suck?

sorta. i think its really awesome and really sucky at the same time to be honest. i have a love hate relationship with it.

the romy and michelle thing was just me being a sillyface though.

...on a side note- doesnt the underpass re-open tonight!?

Alligator Bogaloo
08-20-2009, 12:15 PM
...on a side note- doesnt the underpass re-open tonight!?

what the heck is this whole underpass thing?

Mr. Dylanja
08-20-2009, 12:19 PM

I think it's some sort of hobo night club.

cubrocker
08-20-2009, 12:22 PM

well there was always an underpass connecting 4th ave to Congress downtown. they closed it a couple years ago which killed nightlife (not really killed it, but made it more of a pain in the ass)... you could throw a rock at Hotel Congress from the end of 4th Ave but it was a 25 minute walk around all the construction to actually get there once the underpass was torn down. they rebuilt it and now its opening today...

it looked like this before...

http://img.groundspeak.com/waymarking/display/4f85228a-7747-49c8-999a-10b713aef5cd.jpg

and the reopening is supposed to look like this

http://tucsoncitizen.com/art/files/2009/08/north-side-rendering.jpg

http://www.railwaypreservation.com/vintagetrolley/Tucson_underpass_rendering.jpg

...this is huge! 4th ave/congress is really an important part of tucson and lots of people are very happy to see this reunited again.

and im kinda psyched that i can take the trolley from school to hotel congress for 25 cents

westcoastpirate
08-20-2009, 12:36 PM
and im kinda psyched that i can take the trolley from school to hotel congress for 25 cents

Tucson has a trolley?
http://www.prostockdetectors.com/handcar.jpg

higgybaby23
08-20-2009, 12:38 PM
Tucson has a trolley?
http://www.prostockdetectors.com/handcar.jpg

Lulz of the Day!!

cubrocker
08-20-2009, 12:50 PM
Maybe if people in Phoenix would stop constantly showing shoes at the stage.

when i was in high school my converse show ripped in half at an Aquabats show (this was i believe at the marquee theatre in tempe) , someone picked it up threw it up on the stage. I later saw the Bat Commander pick it up at the end of the show.

chairmenmeow47
08-20-2009, 12:58 PM

ha ha ha, like cake at that damn show. "if you throw ONE water bottle at us WE'RE WALKING!"

*entire crowd throws water bottles on stage*

that and the heat of course. i've seen warped tour 98 for example cited as a least favourite show before due to it being in the goddamned cement PARKING LOT of celebrity theatre.

and jesus christ it's hot today.

high school? marquee? so that was what, two years ago? :p

cubrocker
08-20-2009, 01:01 PM
high school? marquee? so that was what, two years ago? :p

about 6 or 7 years ago probably

chairmenmeow47
08-20-2009, 01:02 PM
ok, so the red river opry then. just giving you a hard time :p

Mr. Dylanja
08-20-2009, 01:04 PM
HUZZAH!

Sup Ivyleague?

amyzzz
08-20-2009, 01:05 PM
I saw Sarah McLachlan at the Red River Opry. (the pre-marquee name, if no one caught that)

chairmenmeow47
08-20-2009, 01:11 PM
HUZZAH!

Sup Ivyleague?

HOLLA! HUZZAH!

so freaking busy. so busy in fact, i applied for another position within the university and had a final interview today. i'm using this interview to leverage for more resources and to get things off my plate in my current position too. take that bitches.

and we used to have department meetings at red river opry, lol.

TomAz
08-20-2009, 01:12 PM
and jesus christ it's hot today.

no complaining about the heat unless it's 110 or higher.

sin213
08-20-2009, 01:12 PM
I saw Sarah McLachlan at the Red River Opry. (the pre-marquee name, if no one caught that)

i didn't know they had real shows at red river...thought it was ALL Opry.

hardly anyone went there when it was the Opry....

amyzzz
08-20-2009, 01:14 PM
Well, that's the only show I ever saw there under that name.

Gribbz
08-20-2009, 01:15 PM
ha ha ha, like cake at that damn show. "if you throw ONE water bottle at us WE'RE WALKING!"

*entire crowd throws water bottles on stage*

Or during The Violent Femmes. They also did it for some terrible opening band called "Blue flannel."

faxman75
08-20-2009, 01:23 PM
Amy, Downtown live just released some cheaper reserved tickets for the Green Day show. Just go to the ticketmaster page and there is a 30.75 price level now or something. They also have some nose bleeds for 20.75 I think.

amyzzz
08-20-2009, 01:24 PM
cool thank you!

Mr. Dylanja
08-20-2009, 01:41 PM
i didn't know they had real shows at red river...thought it was ALL Opry.

Sarah McLachlan is a "real" show?

:lool

( look at the hairline zzzizzz :D )

amyzzz
08-20-2009, 01:45 PM
oh hush.

menix
08-20-2009, 02:19 PM
anyone going to los campesinos show tonight from phoenix????
hit me up!!!
facebook.com/elmenix

menix
08-20-2009, 02:25 PM
trying to hitch a ride???any room???
hit me up
facebook/elmenix

faxman75
08-20-2009, 02:36 PM
???? !!!
??? ???

TommyboyUNM
08-20-2009, 02:38 PM
going to los campesinos from phoenix????? i'll most likely kill you and rape your body!!!!
hit me up
facebook/elmenix

Mr. Dylanja
08-20-2009, 02:38 PM
Yo faxman75!!! from phoenix????
hit me up
facebook.com/rapist

amyzzz
08-20-2009, 02:39 PM
You can sit in the back of my van on the floor.

menix
08-20-2009, 03:11 PM
i don't mind sitting on the floor!
do mind missing out on the campesinos...
my friends are lame and don't want to go =(

amyzzz
08-20-2009, 03:13 PM
I'm not really going. Sorry!

menix
08-20-2009, 03:17 PM
whoa...tommyboy...whoa...
just that none of my buddys wanted to go....or they say they couldn't go...
don't want to miss out on the show if i can carpool it would be best...
ozone is our friend =)

menix
08-20-2009, 03:18 PM
darn...oh, well...

menix
08-20-2009, 03:32 PM
loos like i'm rolling solo...

amyzzz
08-20-2009, 03:42 PM
lazcRyy1jN8&feature=PlayList&p=80296A7ECF8603F7&index=4

I didn't know Dungen turned into the Stones Roses, but hey, I still like it.

sin213
08-20-2009, 06:14 PM
Sarah McLachlan is a "real" show?

:lool

( look at the hairline zzzizzz :D )

realer than an OPRY show...

Opry... :nono

karma_guy
08-20-2009, 06:50 PM
so i know silverplatter had peaches listed for playing a show @ the marquee,
but I just checked Peache's site and she is playing live sets at BOTH the marquee (october 27) and the rialto (october 28th). no details on price

should be fuckin' crazy

M Sparks
08-20-2009, 07:32 PM
I've never seen that. Must be at different shows.

I've read/heard about it more than I've seen it. I wish I could find that Republic article, but it was a long time ago. I specifically remember them talking about John Cougar opening for the Rolling Stones long ago, and he had to get stitches from getting hit by a bottle or something.

Also, I've been to a lot of shows in Phoenix where you can bring in a water bottle but not the cap, or you have to pour it in a cup...that way you can't throw the bottle. I've never seen that anywhere else, but 80% of every show I've ever been to was in Phoenix, so that might not mean much.

A friend told me Primus almost walked offstage at Mesa Amp because of it. And when MTV was shooting at one of the KUKQ fests, the report actually devoted about 15-20 seconds to the amount of shoes thrown. They actually showed one or 2, and one of the guys from Jellyfish claimed he saw a Doc Martin fly by his head.

I would have just assumed this was common everywhere, but the article and the MTV News thing made it seem like something unique to Phoenix.

Didn't somebody nail Perry at the NIN/JA show? Either a water bottle, or a beer in a cup.

Mr. Dylanja
08-20-2009, 08:18 PM
Maynard got nailed with a bottle when Tool played Cricket in 07. Right in the dome. He walked off stage mid-song, next song was all instrumental and the set got cut short by at least two more songs. :nono

westcoastpirate
08-20-2009, 08:21 PM
Someone threw a bottle at Beck during Lonesome Tears or Paper Tiger at the State Fair in 2005, and it straight up hit his guitar

karma_guy
08-20-2009, 08:31 PM
why the fuck do people think it's cool to throw shit?

Mr. Dylanja
08-20-2009, 08:38 PM
Seriously, haven't they seen the Wii commercial? NOT COOL!

ragingdave
08-20-2009, 08:45 PM
Menixmati.

Tee hee.

Somewhat Damaged
08-20-2009, 08:45 PM
and the reopening is supposed to look like this

http://tucsoncitizen.com/art/files/2009/08/north-side-rendering.jpg

http://www.railwaypreservation.com/vintagetrolley/Tucson_underpass_rendering.jpg

...this is huge! 4th ave/congress is really an important part of tucson and lots of people are very happy to see this reunited again.

Sooooooo glad to hear this! I wasn't planning on heading down to Tucson till Thanksgiving but this just might compel me to do so sooner.

amyzzz
08-21-2009, 09:15 AM
I was in that KUKQ fest crowd (when I was about 17), and it was pretty rough. I'm too short to have seen any bottles thrown on stage though. My glasses were knocked off and got stomped into the ground. I went without glasses for 6 months because I was afraid to tell my parents. :/

Gribbz
08-21-2009, 09:28 AM
Great meeting mountmccabe and Alligator Bogaloo last night. Los Campensinos! were rather fun live. :thu

westcoastpirate
08-21-2009, 09:32 AM
Great meeting mountmccabe and Alligator Bogaloo last night. Los Campensinos! were rather fun live. :thu

Thanks for the recommendation, trying to decide if I should catch their set next weekend.

Gribbz
08-21-2009, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the recommendation, trying to decide if I should catch their set next weekend.

It's worth checking out for sure. It was only 10 bucks and they put on a good show.

unknown
08-21-2009, 09:51 AM
Matt!!! I'm glad you had a fun night! You gotta tell me more about the underpass party. haha and those pics of the completed 4th ave are pretty nice looking. Can't wait to head out to T-town again and check it out.

Los Campesinos! is a lot of fun. I enjoyed them at Coachella and so far the conflict for Street Scene isn't too bad...

Sorry for butting into the Phoenix thread talking about Tucson and San Diego. heh Hi Phoenix people!

chairmenmeow47
08-21-2009, 10:04 AM
SUP! :)

Gribbz
08-21-2009, 10:08 AM
Matt!!! I'm glad you had a fun night! You gotta tell me more about the underpass party. haha and those pics of the completed 4th ave are pretty nice looking. Can't wait to head out to T-town again and check it out.

Los Campesinos! is a lot of fun. I enjoyed them at Coachella and so far the conflict for Street Scene isn't too bad...

Sorry for butting into the Phoenix thread talking about Tucson and San Diego. heh Hi Phoenix people!

I can't believe how many people showed up for that thing. It looks good though. It's going to make things rather convenient for me.

And Ivy..... HUZZZZZAH!

TommyboyUNM
08-21-2009, 10:10 AM
Hi, Phoenix.

amyzzz
08-21-2009, 10:19 AM
It's Friday.

TomAz
08-21-2009, 10:30 AM
hey Tommy. Is that Al Pacino? with the broken jaw in the Godfather?

westcoastpirate
08-21-2009, 11:14 AM
I'm going to Scottsdale with some friends tonight to some place called American Junkie. I know nothing about the place. I'm only going because 2 friends are coming from out of town. I read the Yelp reviews and it sounds exactly like the opposite place you will find me partying at. Should be fun...:/

faxman75
08-21-2009, 11:15 AM
What's up Tommy? When is the next visit? Maybe you should come to town Sunday 9/6 of labor day weekend and see Calexico and Cracker down in Tucson.

faxman75
08-21-2009, 11:15 AM
It's Friday.

Don't you mean FRYDAY?!?

captncrzy
08-21-2009, 11:17 AM
I'm going to Scottsdale with some friends tonight to some place called American Junkie. I know nothing about the place. I'm only going because 2 friends are coming from out of town. I read the Yelp reviews and it sounds exactly like the opposite place you will find me partying at. Should be fun...:/

Partying in Scottsdale. Ugh.

karma_guy
08-21-2009, 11:18 AM
i'm hungry now

amyzzz
08-21-2009, 11:27 AM
Don't you mean FRYDAY?!?

Yeah, don't know when that's happening next.

TommyboyUNM
08-21-2009, 11:31 AM
hey Tommy. Is that Al Pacino? with the broken jaw in the Godfather?

That it is. I got tired of my previous avatar. It was obnoxious. I feel good about this one. I think it has a lot of staying power.

What's up Tommy? When is the next visit? Maybe you should come to town Sunday 9/6 of labor day weekend and see Calexico and Cracker down in Tucson.

I have plans over Labor Day weekend. I probably still wouldn't go, but these plans make it 100% that I can't go.

Find something for me to do and I'll drive out there soon. That goes for any of you.

amyzzz
08-21-2009, 11:33 AM
....shrooms, Tommy?

faxman75
08-21-2009, 11:35 AM
Have a great labor day Tommy. I'll let you know if I think anything else important is going on.

faxman75
08-21-2009, 11:36 AM
....shrooms, Tommy?

Ooh see, that would be fun.

TommyboyUNM
08-21-2009, 11:42 AM
....shrooms, Tommy?

I'm off psychedelics for a while. I'm not off rolls though.

karma_guy
08-21-2009, 11:42 AM
show announcement:
Thao With The Get Down Stay Down @ Plush
November 18th
10$

highly recommend
i saw thao a while ago and it was an amazing show

amyzzz
08-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Oh I thought you said something about doing shrooms over Labor Day a while back.

Sorry for drugging up the Phx thread though.

:)

TommyboyUNM
08-21-2009, 11:46 AM
I wasn't giving up psychedelics then. But, like I said, I'M NOT OFF ROLLS...

amyzzz
08-21-2009, 11:49 AM
I wish rolls didn't have an aftermath.

chairmenmeow47
08-21-2009, 12:17 PM
i don't have anything to offer you tommy other than a ziploc baggie of cinnamon life with your username on it <3

cubrocker
08-21-2009, 12:24 PM

they were fun even though i missed half their set.

and i drank way too much last night- ive been puking all morning, lol.

Alligator Bogaloo
08-21-2009, 12:36 PM

It was cool meeting Matt and the bear in Tucson last night, nice to make some new Tucson connections. Los Campensinos! put on a great show and the lead singer made a lot of funny jokes about underpasses. The new bass player is hot!!!! Looking forward to going back down to Tucson to the Rialto for Johnny Winter on 9/02 and Sonic Youth on 10/02. Hey Matt, we'll have to meet up and go to Sonic Youth together. Should be a lot of fun.

mountmccabe
08-22-2009, 07:54 AM
Yeah, it was good to meet you. It would've been nice to've been able to get down earlier and have time to drink/eat before the show. I need a weekend show!

alex gardner
08-23-2009, 09:07 AM
HELLO PHX this is flagstaff speaking. mars volta dodge theater roll call. anyone??

Mr. Dylanja
08-23-2009, 10:19 AM
Most of us will be at NIN at The Wiltern :p

LooseAtTheZoo
08-23-2009, 01:24 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v_CKM1NjGlw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v_CKM1NjGlw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I thought I would share this video, just in case anyone was at Green Day last night. One of my good friends from high school was brought on stage to play with them. Very, very, VERY cool.

sin213
08-23-2009, 02:33 PM
that is pretty cool. lol.

definitely tell him to stick with guitar, not vocals, though... ;)

denies the day
08-23-2009, 05:18 PM
HELLO PHX this is flagstaff speaking. mars volta dodge theater roll call. anyone??

<raises hand>

Have fun at Depeche Mode tonight, people. The dude from Soulwax cancelled. :eek:

alex gardner
08-23-2009, 05:26 PM
Most of us will be at NIN at The Wiltern :p

i realized this bout 10 minutes after i asked. i guess theres always next coachie

westcoastpirate
08-23-2009, 05:40 PM

Roll call for Ween in Flagstaff on Friday Sept 4th!

Mr. Dylanja
08-24-2009, 10:06 AM
What time does Dungen go on tonight?

zzzizzzles, I want a review of your weekend concerts!

amyzzz
08-24-2009, 10:08 AM
Ticket says 8, so maybe 9:30 or 10? Don't know. Woods opens, and I don't know who they are.

Alligator Bogaloo
08-24-2009, 10:21 AM
Looking forward to seeing Dungen tonight, see you all there. stateside presents says the doors open at 7:30, show starts at 8, opening bands are Terra Firma and Woods.

amyzzz
08-24-2009, 10:51 AM
Argh, another opening band. Maybe Dungen comes on at 10:30 or 11. Maybe I should get there late.

On Saturday I went to Green Day to see Franz Ferdinand open. The box office still had (nosebleed) seats available for only $25, so I just bought those. Franz was good, but they didn't play long. From the first album, we got Michael, This Fire, and Take Me Out, from the 2nd we only got Outsiders (which was awesome btw but I wanted more from that album), and from Tonight, we got Ulysses, Bite Hard, and I think What She Came For (whatever that last song was, I don't like it).

No Dark of the Matinee or Do You Want to. :( I was so far away that I couldn't see the singer Alex's expression, so I couldn't get into it a whole lot. I got my daughter to dance with me a little. We stayed for maybe 5 or 6 Green Day songs and left way early because my daughter was tired, but GD looked like they put on a hell of a show. At one point they brought a 7 year old girl on stage to sing and wave her arms around and play dead to the fireworks burst. They seemed to be great on getting the audience involved with lots of singing, hand waving and clapping. PYROTECHNICS.

Saw Depeche Mode last night
They were amazing as all the other times I've seen them. Great backdrop videos with a bulbous half disco ball protruding from the video screens and it also displayed video. We got a bunch of hits and some new songs --
(see http://www.coachella.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1319196&postcount=663)
I really enjoyed Martin (the other singer) doing Home, LOVED the closing duet between Dave and Martin on Waiting for the Night. New songs that opened the show In Chains and Wrong sounded great, the guitar riff on I Feel You was sexy as hell, and I like the the inclusion of Fly on the Windscreen for this show. They play a lot of the same old hits every tour, so it's nice when they dig one out they haven't done in a while. One thing I've notice in the past couple tours is when Dave lets the audience sing the ENTIRE chorus of the song EVERY TIME like in Stripped, Enjoy the Silence, or Walking in My Shoes. Sure it's fun to sing along, but I came to the show to hear DAVE not the audience. That's my peeve. God, Dave is still a damn sexy dancer though. Jen, Rick, and I were on Martin's side, so I couldn't see Dave dance as much, but whatever I saw was great. Martine was wear a FULL silver sequined suit complete with a vest and jacket (no shirt under vest). LOVE THAT. My pictures are on my phone, and I don't know how to upload those to the internet, so meh. Can't post those.

Getting dinner beforehand at Carly's Bistro with Jen, Rick, Micah, and Jen's friends was fun. And tasty.

karma_guy
08-24-2009, 11:20 AM
show alert (and a great one at that)
KING KHAN & BBQ SHOW
11-16 Phoenix, AZ - Rhythm Room

faxman75
08-24-2009, 11:22 AM
Nice summary of a wicked musical weekend with more to come Zizzzler.

I'm a game time decision and the later the start the less likely I will go but we'll see. That $15 probably needs to go in my gas tank now that I added another show of that band we DO NOT mention in this thread around Zizzzler.

If I do go, I will find you and hang out Amy. I might be completely baked and mute but i'll make a good plant. I really have been enjoying Dungen lately too. We shall see.

amyzzz
08-24-2009, 11:24 AM
I'd rather see Dungen than NIN at this point.

Alligator Bogaloo
08-24-2009, 11:26 AM
show alert (and a great one at that)
KING KHAN & BBQ SHOW
11-16 Phoenix, AZ - Rhythm Room

sweetness. i've been wanting to see King Khan for a while now. That show is going to be off the hook. Holla! Hey Karmaguy, where did you see this show listed?

Mr. Dylanja
08-24-2009, 11:26 AM
The later the start the better the oddz for my appearance.

karma_guy
08-24-2009, 11:35 AM
sweetness. i've been wanting to see King Khan for a while now. That show is going to be off the hook. Holla! Hey Karmaguy, where did you see this show listed?

www.pitchfork.com/news/tours/645-the-king-khan-bbq-show-tour-north-america/

TomAz
08-24-2009, 11:36 AM
I would like to see Dungen but not with a 10:30 start on a Monday night.

Alligator Bogaloo
08-24-2009, 11:39 AM
www.pitchfork.com/news/tours/645-the-king-khan-bbq-show-tour-north-america/

sweet I had checked pitchfork this morning but it wasnt up yet. My friend is a huge King Khan fan. He will shitting himself.

faxman75
08-24-2009, 11:42 AM
My friend is a huge King Khan fan. He will shitting himself.

I wonder if the band finds this flattering.

higgybaby23
08-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Saw on the Silverplatter website that Peaches will be making her first AZ appearance at the Marquee on 10/27. I can vaguely remember walking by the beginning of Peaches set at Coachella 07 on my way to Jesus and Mary Chain and seeing her straddling the twin bass drums and waving a riding crop. crazy. Also saw that Heartless Bastards will be at the Clubhouse on 9/5.

If anyone still cares...

The Peaches show is confirmed via Luckyman/Marquee site.

Info--> http://www.luckymanonline.com/EventDetail.aspx?eventID=2463

karma_guy
08-24-2009, 01:39 PM
she's also playing at the rialto

higgybaby23
08-24-2009, 01:49 PM
she's also playing at the rialto

This begs the question: Is she worth $18? I say no.

Just noticed Peter, Bjorn and John at the Rialto too, Nov. 17.

mountmccabe
08-24-2009, 01:49 PM
I like Woods; I don't know how I would describe them, though. And I'd like to see Dungen again, too. Maybe I will go home and take a nap; otherwise I will be hating it tomorrow.

If y'all see me on this board or whereever after work (i.e. 4:30 pm) please remind me that I should be sleeping so I can see Woods and Dungen.

westcoastpirate
08-24-2009, 01:59 PM
I like Woods; I don't know how I would describe them, though. And I'd like to see Dungen again, too. Maybe I will go home and take a nap; otherwise I will be hating it tomorrow.

If y'all see me on this board or whereever after work (i.e. 4:30 pm) please remind me that I should be sleeping so I can see Woods and Dungen.

Going to see Dungen at Street Scene Friday so hopefully you kids will have some good reviews.

Alligator Bogaloo
08-24-2009, 02:41 PM

PB and J at the Rialto, that should be a good show.

westcoastpirate
08-24-2009, 03:02 PM
PB and J at the Rialto, that should be a good show.

Saw them at Marquee a few years ago, pretty good live.

karma_guy
08-24-2009, 03:11 PM

i might go idk
wonder if she'll do here version of search and destroy live
as for PB&J, i'll def be there

M Sparks
08-25-2009, 09:12 AM
One thing I've notice in the past couple tours is when Dave lets the audience sing the ENTIRE chorus of the song EVERY TIME like in Stripped, Enjoy the Silence, or Walking in My Shoes. Sure it's fun to sing along, but I came to the show to hear DAVE not the audience. That's my peeve.

Pretty much why I stopped caring. I remember on the...can't remember the name of the album, but it has "I Feel You"...anyway, on that tour, my friend pointed out that he was doing that during "Rush". "Rush". When you're expecting people to sing along with the 7th or 8th best song on your album that's been out for a month, you're just lazy.

amyzzz
08-25-2009, 09:18 AM
I chalk it up to he's trying to conserve his voice because their tour is so grueling. I remember on the Depeche Mode 101 video, waaaay back in the 80's, he talked about how he had to use a steroid inhaler so he could keep singing because his voice would be so stressed. STILL ANNOYING though.

AND I REMEMBER Dave having the audience sing along to the Rush chorus back then too. Dang, he's been doing this a while. That was the Songs of Faith and Devotion tour back in the early 90's.

captncrzy
08-25-2009, 09:50 AM
You guys need to understand that Dave's main focus as a front man is to get the crowd involved in the show. He's stated multiple times that it's what he thrives on-his interaction with the fans. It's why he's one of the great front men-he gets the audience on stage with him. Besides, he normally only does it on the big sing along songs, and the crowd is going to sing the chorus on those anyway. It's not lazy or voice-saving; it's his special way of interacting with the people in the crowd. It's a true modie tradition to sing "Reach out and touch Dave!" and "All I ever wanted, all I ever needed", and "We're flying high...".

amyzzz
08-25-2009, 09:59 AM
That is the main bummer about my DM experience. His dancing was great, and when he actually sang, he sounded great. I took solace in Martin who would sing the parts Dave wouldn't sing if there was harmony involved. (also, why is Little Soul sung by Dave on the album? it's obviously a Martin song and fit him better live)

-----thread hijack