PDA

View Full Version : The Phoenix Thread!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88

LooseAtTheZoo
04-26-2009, 03:33 PM
Was it not a UFO show? Lame.

Who is on the far right n the red shirt of the group picture? We met at Coachella but I didn't catch your name

sin213
04-26-2009, 03:34 PM
thats me!

i was askin which one you were in the caa thread pic.

i know we met...we just didn't exchange screen names.

faxman75
04-26-2009, 03:54 PM
Was it not a UFO show? Lame.

Not lame. The UFO show is special. It wasn't advertised as such and if they did it every time it wouldn't be anything special.

:D

LooseAtTheZoo
04-26-2009, 03:56 PM
thats me!

i was askin which one you were in the caa thread pic.

i know we met...we just didn't exchange screen names.

Oh. Well, now you know! Glad to have finally met the famed sin213.

faxman75
04-26-2009, 03:56 PM
I like the picture of my buddy with the rasta hat and American flag rug draped over him, instant classic! And Im proud to be an American, but at least I know Im free...haha!

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff98/faxman75/Flaming%20Lips%20Phoenix/257.jpg

LooseAtTheZoo
04-26-2009, 03:58 PM
Not lame. The UFO show is special. It wasn't advertised as such and if they did it every time it wouldn't be anything special.

:D

Did he still roll around in his bubble?

sin213
04-26-2009, 04:07 PM
yep, just for a min, though.

mountmccabe
04-26-2009, 04:16 PM
May 21 - The Dears, Great Northern @ Rhythm Room

This one is interesting.

Yeah; I am excited. I saw a partial set at Coachella in 2006 but haven't managed anything since.

And I love Missles.

faxman75
04-26-2009, 04:25 PM
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff98/faxman75/Flaming%20Lips%20Phoenix/251.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff98/faxman75/Flaming%20Lips%20Phoenix/006.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff98/faxman75/Flaming%20Lips%20Phoenix/031.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff98/faxman75/Flaming%20Lips%20Phoenix/201.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff98/faxman75/Flaming%20Lips%20Phoenix/207.jpg

http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff98/faxman75/Flaming%20Lips%20Phoenix/?action=view&current=213.jpg

locachica73
04-26-2009, 04:45 PM
Sorry I didn't make it out to meet you guys... My brother locked my keys in my car and it took till 8 to find the correct criminal to break into my vehicle. It looks like you guys had fun though. I look forward to seeing many of you in may. :)

Geno_g
04-26-2009, 04:49 PM
Damn I still need to catch the Flaming Lips, looks like you guys had a blast, can't wait to I can visit my cousin in AZ

Somewhat Damaged
04-26-2009, 04:58 PM
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff98/faxman75/Flaming%20Lips%20Phoenix/251.jpg

After this guy hugged everyone else, he looked at me expectantly and I just walked past him. He booed me.

I had fun last night but it was more due to the company. The band is so good and has a wealth of terrific songs; why they choose not to play more of them in an hour and a half is beyond me. I thought that their Coachella '04 performance was just a sort of lark so Wayne could bitch about Bush and the Iraq war. Apparently that's their shtick, to dick around a lot and talk quite a bit between songs. Oh, and for "Happy Birthday" to be included in their set list. How about less "Happy Birthday," sing-along to only the first verse of "Purple Rain" while Wayne regales us endlessly about what they intend/ed to cover, and a tribute to the soldiers in Iraq, and more "Are You a Hypnotist?" or other terrific songs off Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots? Still glad I went, just know that I have no need or desire to see the Flaming Lips ever again.

westcoastpirate
04-26-2009, 08:46 PM
Those Free Hugs guys are major sluts.

And I was bummed they did acoustic versions of 2 of the most rockin' songs off Yoshimi, lame.

...and what was up with Wayne saying the Flaming Lips weren't skipping over AZ on purpose? He said that like 3 times during the show? If you weren't skipping s on purpose, please make it up to us by playing an incredible set.

I did have a lot of fun, though! Way too much, feeling it today.

chairmenmeow47
04-27-2009, 08:27 AM
i <3 that confetti pic of jen & tommy, very cute!!!

i had a great time saturday, as evidenced here:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff98/faxman75/Flaming%20Lips%20Phoenix/005.jpg

i forget her name, but the irish girl was cool. i'd never been to that bar, it was alright minus the service.

captncrzy
04-27-2009, 08:59 AM
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff98/faxman75/Flaming%20Lips%20Phoenix/259.jpg

I fell down, lolz.

Where is the pic of that security guard that we talked into doing a confetti angel?

faxman75
04-27-2009, 09:01 AM
i forget her name, but the irish girl was cool. i'd never been to that bar, it was alright minus the service.

Rainie :)

chairmenmeow47
04-27-2009, 09:01 AM
that's right, i knew it was some sort of weather system :p

faxman75
04-27-2009, 09:02 AM
Where is the pic of that security guard that we talked into doing a confetti angel?

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff98/faxman75/Flaming%20Lips%20Phoenix/244.jpg

faxman75
04-27-2009, 09:04 AM
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff98/faxman75/Flaming%20Lips%20Phoenix/235.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff98/faxman75/Flaming%20Lips%20Phoenix/213.jpg

sin213
04-27-2009, 09:53 AM
that's awesome that you talked a security guard into doing a confetti angel with you! lol!

mountmccabe
04-27-2009, 10:11 AM
The band is so good and has a wealth of terrific songs; why they choose not to play more of them in an hour and a half is beyond me. I thought that their Coachella '04 performance was just a sort of lark so Wayne could bitch about Bush and the Iraq war. Apparently that's their shtick, to dick around a lot and talk quite a bit between songs. Oh, and for "Happy Birthday" to be included in their set list. How about less "Happy Birthday," sing-along to only the first verse of "Purple Rain" while Wayne regales us endlessly about what they intend/ed to cover, and a tribute to the soldiers in Iraq, and more "Are You a Hypnotist?" or other terrific songs off Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots? Still glad I went, just know that I have no need or desire to see the Flaming Lips ever again.

That's about where I am on the Flips. If it's convenient/cheap to see them again I wouldn't be opposed to the idea but... yeah.

Someone at work said that a friend was trying to get her to go even though she doesn't really know them - and probably wouldn't like them on CD; not her taste - and my response was that the Flaming Lips put on a great show but a lousy concert. You can certainly have fun even if you don't know the music. Hell, it might even help if you don't know the music that well and therefore aren't expecting to hear songs and such and you can just enjoy the spectacle.

Young blood
04-27-2009, 10:31 AM
http://goodtimesfestival.com/sitefrontflyer.jpg

faxman75
04-27-2009, 10:34 AM
I would agree. As amazing, fun and visually amazing the UFO show was last year at Sasquatch, I was disapointed with the in between song banter, speeches, lack of full on rocking out musically with songs. They wasted a lot of time at the UFO show with the actual UFO, Wayne seemed to have a little trouble getting in and out of the giant bubble and it seemed they only played like 10 songs or something in the 90 minutes. Very similar to what we got in at McDowell Mountain but I was prepared going in as I have seen them before. The band has such a wonderful catalog of music and to see them piss it away for the sake of putting on a party/show is a bit of a let down. It's what they do though and i'll probably see them whenever they play here in the valley but if they rocked out every show they played, i would travel to see them. They put so much effort into the stage and the show really is fantastic, but I don't get all the breaks and silly rants, happy birthdays, cover songs and numerous other time wasters. When they do want to rock, they bring the awesome heavy sound but for some reason they enjoy fucking around more. :D

TomAz
04-27-2009, 10:44 AM
When I saw the FLs at Webster Hall in NYC in 2006 it was a really amazing show. I mean it was fucking awesome.

The two times I've seen them outdoors in a festival setting, they have farted around and generally not gotten their shit together very well.

mountmccabe
04-27-2009, 10:59 AM
I bet they farted around at that 2006 show, too, but you enjoyed it more because it was new and because it was a long enough set that they still played a good deal of real songs.

First time I saw them headline (Hollywood Palladium, May 2003) I can say that it was fucking awesome too. They played around and had confetti and giant balloons and such going on but, well, even back then it wasn't much of a rock concert.

faxman75
04-27-2009, 11:08 AM
When I "listened" to the concert at Cricket opening up for the Chili Peppers they seemed to go from song at a much faster pace. I would venture to say they played as many songs in the 45 mninute opening slot that night that they played during the UFO show or Saturday night. One gripe I hear alot is how between every song Wayne says "come on everybody" to build excitement. I don't care if he does that, it's the extra 2 minutes he takes between every song that seem to kill any momentum they build. He repeats himself alot too. I wonder how ATP will go since they are curating that festival.

rage patton
04-27-2009, 11:10 AM
The Flaming Lips were amazing at Sasquatch 08. They played for 2 hours, and yes, they talked a lot between song... but I love Wayne Coyne. I love the stories he has to tell and the stuff he has to say. When I saw The Flaming Lips at Pemberton 08 it was basically an hour straight of music, barely any talking between the songs. Even though they played an extra hour at Sasquatch, I think they only played an extra 2 or 3 songs. Know which gig was better? Sasquatch. By FAR. The Pemberton gig seemed rushed. You could tell Wayne REALLY wanted to talk more, but he knew he couldn't. This affected the performance greatly. They sounded great, there was lots of confetti and teletubies and they had lots of energy... but without Waynes stories and rants and bantering, it just wasn't the same. You could tell Wayne wished they had an extra hour... not to play you any more music, just more time to talk to you. I felt very connected to The Flaming Lips at Sasquatch, where at Pemberton I felt distance. At Sasquatch I felt like I was part of the show. At Pemberton I felt like I was watching a show. So in summary, I love The Flaming Lips and I love Wayne Coyne talking in between songs.

TomAz
04-27-2009, 11:13 AM
I don't mind the rants. I like them too.

What I don't like is spending 2-3 minutes shuffling your feet and twiddling knobs and starting and then stopping and then starting a rant and then not being coherent.

rage patton
04-27-2009, 11:14 AM
I didn't get any of that at either of the shows I saw. That would most likely annoy me too.

Somewhat Damaged
04-27-2009, 11:18 AM
One gripe I hear alot is how between every song Wayne says "come on everybody" to build excitement.

I think what makes that annoying is how desperate it makes him seem. The crowd on Saturday was putty in their hands right out of the gate. "Race for the Prize" was a fantastic opener and everybody was rocking out. Then they just kinda pissed it away, evinced by no less than Mr. AZ choosing to leave the fine spot we had procured near the stage. (Unless you did that, Tom, because you no longer wished to be in our presence.)

BTW, hope it went without saying that it was great hanging out with Tom, Tommy, Tom, Mark, & Jason (and even Ivy for that little bit at the Skeptical Chymist). Great pics, btw, Mark, even if I kinda wanted to give you shit for being one of those douchebags who watches the show through the viewfinder on his camera. :p

chairmenmeow47
04-27-2009, 11:23 AM
sorry i couldn't stay longer to chat with you & jen, i was still beat from coachella though :)

sin213
04-27-2009, 11:27 AM
sorry i couldn't stay longer to chat with you & jen, i was still beat from coachella though :)

whatever....:rolleyes

i guess you were sick thru coachella weekend...so it might have taken more of a toll on you.

faxman75
04-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Great pics, btw, Mark, even if I kinda wanted to give you shit for being one of those douchebags who watches the show through the viewfinder on his camera. :p

No offense taken, I kinda wanted to give everyone shit for saying some form of "shut up and play" during the first 30 minuts of their set between the first 5 songs or so. :)

I just really enjoy trying to get good photos and my camera kind of sucks at that. Taking pictures really doesn't take anything away from the show for me or I wouldn't do it. When a band is so great that i'm having a blast rocking out you will see the camera much less but I basically took that night to try lots of different settings and such on my crappy camera to see if I wanted something better. It's also the lips so there was a lot of colors and such that made it seem worth photographing.

chairmenmeow47
04-27-2009, 11:47 AM
whatever....:rolleyes

i guess you were sick thru coachella weekend...so it might have taken more of a toll on you.

man, i never get to really chat with you when we do these either, next time, it's on :)

sin213
04-27-2009, 11:48 AM
i'm usually a late-arriver...and you're not. so we're usually on opposite ends of the table. we talked a bit this time around. but yes, next time i'm sitting right next to you! :D

TommyboyUNM
04-27-2009, 11:50 AM
BTW, hope it went without saying that it was great hanging out with Tom, Tommy, Tom, Mark, & Jason (and even Ivy for that little bit at the Skeptical Chymist). Great pics, btw, Mark, even if I kinda wanted to give you shit for being one of those douchebags who watches the show through the viewfinder on his camera. :p

You guys are fun people. I like my Arizona crew. I totally forgot that The Captn and I had a bit of a boxing match after the show. I saw pics on Facebook. For the record, she could probably beat the shit outta me. She has quick hands.

Rick and Tom, thanks for the beers.

M Sparks
04-27-2009, 11:55 AM

I had been meaning to mention this. And on my birfday, too.

westcoastpirate
04-27-2009, 12:13 PM
You guys are fun people. I like my Arizona crew. I totally forgot that The Captn and I had a bit of a boxing match after the show. I saw pics on Facebook. For the record, she could probably beat the shit outta me. She has quick hands.

Rick and Tom, thanks for the beers.

I don't know which "Tom" you're referencing, but you're very welcome.

westcoastpirate
04-27-2009, 12:15 PM
And the AZ Republic/AZ Central seemed to enjoy the show, Wayne Coyne reminiscent of John Lennon?!:

Flaming Lips show why they're greatest show on Earth

4 comments by Ed Masley - Apr. 26, 2009 04:21 PM
The Arizona Republic

slideshow Concert pics

The Flaming Lips could teach a master class in how to get a party started. And Saturday's headlining set at McDowell Mountain Music Festival was no exception. It had extras dressed as Teletubbies, showers of confetti, scenes from deep space splashed across the screen and Wayne Coyne held aloft by his adoring fans, surfing the crowd in a giant inflatable bubble.

In short, it was brilliant.

And it just got better when he rolled the bubble back on stage, climbed out and led the Lips in the majestic lead-off track from 1999's "The Soft Bulletin," an odd yet heartfelt tribute to the power of the human spirit called "Race for the Prize." As moving as the version on the album is, it was even more powerful live at WestWorld. Coyne was positively glowing as he smiled his way through the tale of two scientists racing for a cure for "the good of all mankind," drawing special attention to the line, "They're just humans with wives and children."

That's what makes the Flaming Lips the greatest show on Earth, the way the spectacle and quirkiness are offset by a deeply felt message of hope, a celebration of humanity's potential to do the right thing on occasion. In its own eccentric way, it's really not that different from the message of those old Bob Marley records that were playing while Coyne and his brightly clad stagehands were getting the spectacle ready. But with Coyne, you get confetti.

Other times, the silliness was served without the side of substance - "Borderline," for instance, a Madonna hit they made their own (as filtered through the bombast of the "Who's Next"-era Who) for a compilation honoring the 50th anniversary of the label that stood by them through the lean years, Warner Bros.

It was not their first choice, Coyne explained. They'd planned on doing Prince's "Purple Rain" but Prince said no, Coyne prefacing his comments on the royal shutdown with mock-serious asides of "With all due respect to him." And then, they played a verse and chorus of the Prince song anyway as an audience singalong.

After rocking out "Borderline," though, it was back to the uplifting side of the rock-and-roll circus. The singer introduced a stripped-down "Fight Test" with a heartfelt speech about "fighting for what you believe in" and touched off a spirited audience singalong on a joyous rendition of "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots," yet another quirky song of hope performed, for the most, with just Steven Drozd on piano and Coyne on vocals while the drummer donned a cardboard robot costume someone in the audience had thrown on stage.

It was transcendent, really, especially the bit about the little girl, a black belt in karate named Yoshimi, taking vitamins because "she knows that it'd be tragic if those evil robots win." Because Coyne's worldview is what it is, that line is followed by the more triumphant, "I know she can beat them."

He saved the emotional highlight of the set for last, the existential anthem, "Do You Realize??" His cracking - some would throw in off-key - vocals only added to the poignant beauty of the lyrics as he turned the fact that everyone you know someday will die into a celebration of life. "Instead of saying all of your goodbyes," he sighed, "let them know you realize that life goes fast/It's hard to make the good things last/You realize the sun doesn't go down/It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning round."

John Lennon couldn't have done it any better.

While the bulk of the set seemed to focus on recent material, they did dig deeper for at least three highlights - a dramatic "Lightning Strikes the Postman" from "Clouds Taste Metallic," the punkish intensity of "Mountain Side" - the first time they'd ever performed that song so close to an actual mountain, Coyne revealed -from 1990's "In A Priest Driven Ambulance" and a spirited audience singalong on their unlikely breakthrough hit, "She Don't Use Jelly."

The only other band that even tried to tap into the Lips' outrageous party vibe was local band Peachcake, who owned the local tent, where stuffed animals flew through the air as the singer went out of his way to make everyone in the audience part of the show.

Highlights on the long road to the Lips' transcendent set included Matisyahu's hip-hop-flavored reggae, Railroad Earth's post-"American Beauty" take on bluegrass and an energetic set of Pogues-like Irish rock (including an actual Pogues song) by the Young Dubliners.

http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/music/articles/2009/04/26/20090426flaminglips.html

sin213
04-27-2009, 03:58 PM
i'm about thru the recording i have of the flips...there are many portions where after a min or so i had to fast forward just to get to the next song. they talked waaaayyyy too much at this show. the energy between songs was lost. and the bass is just way too loud. i may be able to fix this in editing, but it was poor eq-ing on the sound guys part at that fest. that is part of why i love coachella so much...coachella's sound engineers are excellent, save the few technical issues with wireless mics and speakers cutting in/out.

amyzzz
04-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Is anyone planning on going to Crystal Method...? (over Memorial Day weekend I think)

Mr. Dylanja
04-27-2009, 04:27 PM
zzzizzzles, I'm planning on going on a Socal road trip that weekend. If I don't, you bet your bottom dollar I'll be there :thu

amyzzz
04-27-2009, 04:30 PM
I'm trying to gauge if I should bother making Jacob go since he likes them. If other people are going, we can hang out. :)

quicksand
04-27-2009, 04:38 PM
Those Free Hugs guys are major sluts.

And I was bummed they did acoustic versions of 2 of the most rockin' songs off Yoshimi, lame.

...and what was up with Wayne saying the Flaming Lips weren't skipping over AZ on purpose? He said that like 3 times during the show? If you weren't skipping s on purpose, please make it up to us by playing an incredible set.

I did have a lot of fun, though! Way too much, feeling it today.

Felt the same way. Super bummed about their bullshit sing-along "Fight Test" and "Yoshimi pt. 1". It sucked about the wind blowing the confetti away from the crowd too. Hopefully that was just a dull show, cause I expected them to be much better (musically) after hearing reviews and hype. Their stage presence was fucking awesome though.

sin213
04-27-2009, 06:47 PM
Is anyone planning on going to Crystal Method...? (over Memorial Day weekend I think)

i am definitely going to be there for that...kinda sux its on the same day as No Doubt, though.

lol..actually, just noticed my sig still says no doubt. gotta change that...

quicksand
04-27-2009, 07:14 PM
I'll be at Crystal Method. Also, I don't want to go over pages looking for it, but has anybody pointed out THE shittiest conflict in AZ history?

May 31st - St. Vincent @ Modified
May 31st - Black Moth Super Rainbow w/ School of Seven Bells @ Rhythm Room
May 31st - Animal Collective @ Rialto Theatre (Tucson)

quicksand
04-27-2009, 07:27 PM

Damn, sweet! Thanks for this! Definitely going. $32 for Bassnectar and Gaslamp Killer alone is worth it. Ballerrr.

karma_guy
04-27-2009, 09:32 PM
i'm still surprised there's not a major music festival in AZ during the winter/fall
perfect weather

Gribbz
04-27-2009, 09:36 PM
i'm still surprised there's not a major music festival in AZ during the winter/fall
perfect weather

I agree.

sin213
04-27-2009, 09:36 PM
let's start one!! gotta get money somehow, though...

Somewhat Damaged
04-27-2009, 09:43 PM

I don't want to hear it, Ivy. You're dead to me. *harrumph*

And Dylan, where the fuck were you? What, didn't feel like having your car break down again? Happy belated birthday, btw, if I didn't say that already.

Mr. Dylanja
04-27-2009, 09:57 PM
I saw the FLips late night at Bonnaroo, while it was a blast and one helluva party it's not quite down my musical alley. I'll be at NINJA, looking back for you from the PIT :D

Thanks, I waited for days for your post in that thread, whatta fucking disappointment :nono

M Sparks
04-28-2009, 07:21 AM
perfect weather

Mid-June is perfect weather for a festival in Flagstaff. The spring winds have died down, but the rains haven't come yet. It's the "hottest" month of the year, but we're talking mid-high 80s, and the nights are perfect.

I hope this little Good Times fest does well and grows. (Though it can't grow too much, the venue tops out at 3000.) I guess they've been doing it at the Ghost Town in Jerome the last couple of years but they got kicked out. It's a little hip-hop heavy for my taste, but a local festival on my birthday...how can I resist?

chairmenmeow47
04-28-2009, 08:53 AM
i'd like to go to flagstaff, but it's hard to justify the drive if i'm not snowboarding.

and i'll probably end up at the crystal method as i have no big memorial day plans. i hate when memorial day weekend is not the weekend of my birthday. i still don't know what i'm doing for that either. my zombie sock hop idea requires money and so does going to vegas to see LOVE.

chairmenmeow47
04-28-2009, 04:04 PM
for those that are 21+ and into EDM and a more mature crowd, this is my roommate's (omniphonix) event...

http://www.bassmint.org/files/1_5_web.jpg

Mr. Dylanja
04-28-2009, 04:13 PM
Roman Numeral Four, you gonna be there?

Where's your boy Pac Dizzle on the line up?

Are those dj's good?

That's all for now ;)

chairmenmeow47
04-28-2009, 04:18 PM
i will be there :) i'm honestly not sure about the other DJs. pac dizzle is involved with bassmint, but he's not on the flyer which makes me wonder if he will be there.

my roommate spins breaks, i like what he plays generally. i don't honestly remember what victor gonzales plays, but i'm going to guess breaks or something house related. d-frag is my friend, but i can't say that i've ever actually seen his set. it's been a long time since i've heard inertia and i don't know liam or fabrico. sorry that doesn't help, but it'll probably be more breaks/house oriented, that would be my guess.

westcoastpirate
04-29-2009, 11:15 AM
May 31st - Black Moth Super Rainbow w/ School of Seven Bells @ Rhythm Room

I'll be at this one, as I expect Animal Collective in Tucson to already be sold out. Black Moth is great live, and I want to hear more of School of Seven Bells.

Hey Jen, I did some research and found out Fischerspooner is playing a "live show" not dj set when I go see them in San Fran over Memorial Day weekend. Whew, you freaked me out a little after Flaming Lips!

April 1st, 2009 | email this | digg it
Leave your comment Posted by MVRemix
Published in Press Releases

FISCHERSPOONER TO PREVIEW NEW LIVE SHOW AT THE PERFORMING GARAGE ‘BETWEEN WORLDS’ TO BE REVEALED IN 3 INTIMATE NEW YORK SHOWS ON APRIL 23th, 24th AND 25th

Fischerspooner celebrate the release of their third studio album Entertainment, out May 5th on FS Studios, with the preview of their new show at New York City’s historic venue The Performing Garage. The group has decided to open the final 3 rehearsals of their new stage show for an extremely limited audience of only 60 people. It is a rare opportunity to see this show up close, raw and in a very intimate setting.

Currently rehearsing and finalizing details in New York, Casey Spooner describes the show: “This is not like any show we have done before. The songs of the current album and other songs from our catalogue are set against a visual and sonic collage made from disparate literary and historical sources and theatrical traditions. It sounds strange and ridiculous but it all adds up. It becomes a very American story about ambition, experimentation, danger and the frontier. We wanted to create a show where it was impossible to decipher history or specific references. We are in a different place a decade later and this show reflects that.”

Fischerspooner’s live shows combines elements from the worlds of art, fashion, theatre and music. Front man Casey Spooner leads the pack of performers on stage with him through an orchestrated dialogue between avant-garde technique, classical tradition, and pop frivolity. Costumes, choreography and stagecraft collide to create a surprising new musical performance that is both flamboyant and tough.

Then see below:
http://www.villagevoice.com/slideshow/view/7774512

faxman75
04-29-2009, 12:02 PM
Swine Flu has reached AZ.

Dr. Richard Besser, the acting chief of the Centers for Disease Control, said in Atlanta that there are confirmed cases now in ten states, with 51 in New York, 14 in California and 16 in Texas. Two cases have been confirmed in Kansas, Massachusetts and Michigan, while a single cases have been reported in Arizona, Indiana, Nevada and Ohio.

Gribbz
04-29-2009, 12:06 PM
I'll be at this one, as I expect Animal Collective in Tucson to already be sold out. Black Moth is great live, and I want to hear more of School of Seven Bells.

Hey Jen, I did some research and found out Fischerspooner is playing a "live show" not dj set when I go see them in San Fran over Memorial Day weekend. Whew, you freaked me out a little after Flaming Lips!

Then see below:

Animal Collective is not sold out.

TOOLRAGE
04-29-2009, 12:14 PM
I got my animal collective tickets a couple of days ago. They are not sold out. This will make up for the postponed fonda show back in january. I didn't find out till I got to the venue.

locachica73
04-29-2009, 12:17 PM
Ivy, that actually sounds like fun. I may have to try to come out for that. It will depend on if I get a check in the mail between now and then though. Does anyone know how long a company has to pay you your severence? It has been a week and still nothing.

chairmenmeow47
04-29-2009, 12:20 PM
well, it is free which should help :)

and no word on severance. only people i know who've gotten severance were at large corporations and they were given the checks within days, if not at the moment they were laid off.

Gribbz
04-29-2009, 12:22 PM
Anyone coming to Tucson for said Animal Collective show?

I'm on the fence about their music but I will probably check it out.

downingthief
04-29-2009, 01:07 PM
Ivy, that actually sounds like fun. I may have to try to come out for that. It will depend on if I get a check in the mail between now and then though. Does anyone know how long a company has to pay you your severence? It has been a week and still nothing.

When I got my severence, it was about a week. I had to fill out the acceptance within 7 days. The check was due to be sent to me within 5 days after they received the acceptance.

captncrzy
04-29-2009, 01:19 PM

Then see below:

Haha, OMG I totally forgot about that. I thought you got a little teary.

TommyboyUNM
04-29-2009, 01:21 PM
Haha, OMG I totally forgot about that. I thought you got a little teary.

The girl had a look on her face like you raped her puppy then put it down and served it at Panda Express. Oh, Jenn.

locachica73
04-29-2009, 01:24 PM
I signed my acceptence the day they laid me off so I should get it any day now. Mail comes at 3, we shall see.

amyzzz
04-29-2009, 01:51 PM
I might go to St Vincent on that Night of Three Different Shows.

(and my kid has the flu but not swine flu)

quicksand
04-29-2009, 02:08 PM
Anyone coming to Tucson for said Animal Collective show?

Yup. Got tickets weeks ago.

westcoastpirate
04-29-2009, 02:27 PM
The girl had a look on her face like you raped her puppy then put it down and served it at Panda Express. Oh, Jenn.

Well my wife is a RN for Hospice of the Valley, and her favorite patient who she's been working with for 2.5 years died the day before the Flaming Lips show. So when they played Do You Realize? as the final song, the waterworks started flowing. Needless to say, not the best time to tell her that Fischerspooner is playing a dj set.

PC-2 Violence
04-29-2009, 03:09 PM
Wont miss this - (May 31st - Black Moth Super Rainbow w/ School of Seven Bells @ Rhythm Room)

I think I might show my face at first friday so I dont see why i should not show up to your friends event Ivy :)

TomAz
04-29-2009, 03:11 PM
two and a half years is an awfully long time to be a hospice patient.

locachica73
04-29-2009, 03:12 PM
Hey Ivy, what are the chances Shone will be at that event? I am not up to running into anymore ex's at this point.

chairmenmeow47
04-29-2009, 03:17 PM
i would say the chances are high. i haven't seen him around in awhile, but he's friends with this crew of people.

and hope to see you, aj! i will hopefully be stinkin' drunk if i catch a ride with the roomies :)

LooseAtTheZoo
04-29-2009, 03:56 PM
Hopefully I'll be at First Fridays this week. But there is a mysterious show I've been hearing about that, if true, I will definitely be attending.

Gribbz
04-29-2009, 03:58 PM
Yup. Got tickets weeks ago.

Will your father be in attendance?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

sin213
04-29-2009, 06:25 PM
moe. just got announced at pine mountain amp in flag. tues, may 26.

why does everything have to be on a weekday in az?!? plus, that's the day before i leave for prodigy in la. so i won't be going.

hopefully some of ya'll can make it though! should be a great show!

Somewhat Damaged
04-30-2009, 08:29 AM
7:00pm, Cinco de Mayo, Asobi Seksu are playing at the Trunk Space. Due to its proximity to the Bikini Lounge, that show lends itself naturally to a meet-up for drinks beforehand. No word on the Trunk Space's website about how much it'll cost, but I'm sure it'll be cheap. That place is pretty damn small.

Gonshman: don't be cryptic. If there's a mysterious show, you have every obligation to let us know what it could be. Even if it doesn't happen, spill it or don't bring it up. Don't be like suprefan.

We'll be missing School of Seven Bells & Black Moth Super Rainbow as our flight will be getting in that afternoon from seeing the Prodigy & Crystal Method in Seattle.

faxman75
04-30-2009, 08:32 AM
7:00pm, Cinco de Mayo, Asobi Seksu are playing at the Trunk Space. Due to its proximity to the Bikini Lounge, that show lends itself naturally to a meet-up for drinks beforehand. No word on the Trunk Space's website about how much it'll cost, but I'm sure it'll be cheap. That place is pretty damn small.

I think I am in for this!

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/67/l_1ac86925030a475d880a836b43dc790c.jpg

Mr. Dylanja
04-30-2009, 08:34 AM
Don't be like suprefan.

We'll be missing School of Seven Bells & Black Moth Super Rainbow as our flight will be getting in that afternoon from seeing the Prodigy & Crystal Method in Seattle.

:nono

summerkid
04-30-2009, 09:06 AM
i thought this thread was about the band for a second and then i saw it was 245 pages and knew something was up.

amyzzz
04-30-2009, 09:11 AM
I think a long time ago I made a pact with Bourrns that I would go to a local Asobi Seksu show, and here it is.

faxman75
04-30-2009, 09:23 AM
Joel (roommate) has wanted to see them for a while as well, he is in.

amyzzz
04-30-2009, 09:24 AM
I still haven't listened to anything by Asobi Seksu yet though. Oops

faxman75
04-30-2009, 09:33 AM
Citrus is really good, I think that's the latest one.

captncrzy
04-30-2009, 09:50 AM
:nono

Don't hate us because we are going to Seattle for a fucking awesome show.

You wanna go? Standby ticket will be like $140

mountmccabe
04-30-2009, 09:56 AM
http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/67/l_1ac86925030a475d880a836b43dc790c.jpg

Oh, nice! It's been a couple years since they've played here.

Also Underwater Getdown were the band that played first at that free Okkervil River last Friday; I missed them but my friends were saying that they were pretty good. Though maybe this was mostly relative to the 2nd band that played. Ugh.

TomAz
04-30-2009, 10:15 AM
who was the 2nd band John?

mountmccabe
04-30-2009, 10:35 AM
Austin Gibbs. He played with a full band but the music was uninteresting, the lyrics were trite, overly-sappy... just nothing to recommend itself.

TomAz
04-30-2009, 10:49 AM
btw the Via Maris broke up.

quicksand
04-30-2009, 10:54 AM
Woah Really Big Birds playing with Asobi? That's fucking rad for him. My band played a show with him at the Phix to an audience of less than 10 people and I haven't heard from him since.

M Sparks
04-30-2009, 03:28 PM
moe. just got announced at pine mountain amp in flag. tues, may 26.

Thanks for reminding me why I'm so anxious to leave Flagstaff.

chairmenmeow47
04-30-2009, 04:17 PM
for those that are 21+ and into EDM and a more mature crowd, this is my roommate's (omniphonix) event...

http://www.bassmint.org/files/1_5_web.jpg

FYI, this starts at 7, not 8. there is no bar since it's an art gallery, but there will be a keg, $5 a cup, refills till it's gone!

Mr. Dylanja
04-30-2009, 04:26 PM
I love that, no bar but a keg!! Keep it classy for the artsy folks. This sounds like my type of thing.

LooseAtTheZoo
04-30-2009, 07:40 PM
I think I am in for this!

HOLY SHIT! I'm so excited for this. I've been wanting to see Asobi Seksu ever since I was on this board and Boourns wouldn't shut up about it

LooseAtTheZoo
04-30-2009, 07:41 PM

Gonshman: don't be cryptic. If there's a mysterious show, you have every obligation to let us know what it could be. Even if it doesn't happen, spill it or don't bring it up. Don't be like suprefan.

It's Zack de la Rocha. The thing is I don't know yet whether he's going to be playing an actual set or just do a mini-show like he did last time

Somewhat Damaged
04-30-2009, 08:35 PM
Oh, Zack de la Rocha? Pfft, never mind.

Mr. Dylanja
04-30-2009, 08:52 PM
Where is Roach Clip gonna be? My friend would be interested...

LooseAtTheZoo
04-30-2009, 09:03 PM
Oh, Zack de la Rocha? Pfft, never mind.

Yeah, I don't think I'm going. First Fridays for sure, but don't want to pay to only have there be a possibility of him actually playing.

Mr. Dylanja
04-30-2009, 10:58 PM
Where, Gonshy, WHERE?!?!?

LooseAtTheZoo
05-01-2009, 06:26 AM
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=69699649725

denies the day
05-01-2009, 10:43 AM
Gonshy, I don't have Facebook but I assume you're referring to the Tonatierra event tonight with ZdlR as the guest speaker. It's on McKinley on the west side of 7th street, I believe. The $10 cover is a donation to various groups united against the abuse and discrimination of immigrants and brown people in general by the Sheriff's Office and the Phoenix PD. The event is a kickoff for tomorrow morning's March For Respect.

My ass got stomped by the cops just last weekend. I would have attended the march anyway but now my beef with local law enforcement has become much more personal.

I'm broke as hell too, but 10 bucks is two cheves at the Lost Leaf and an easy sacrifice for a worthy cause even if ZdlR doesn't play shit.

Leeartlee
05-01-2009, 10:45 AM
No facebook?! That's like saying you live without air.

Mr. Dylanja
05-01-2009, 10:50 AM
My ass got stomped by the cops just last weekend. I would have attended the march anyway but now my beef with local law enforcement has become much more personal.

I want to hear more about this, details plz.

chairmenmeow47
05-01-2009, 11:06 AM

i do just fine without it :)

denies the day, i hope you're ok, were you still on crutches when it happened?

denies the day
05-01-2009, 11:27 AM
Ditched my crutches last month!

Some dude started yelling at me and my friends at IHop early Saturday morning so I yelled back. He gets up and comes towards us. Cops are there instantly (because they love pancakes as much as I do) and tell me to leave. I state I haven't done anything wrong to warrant me leaving because the other guy was being crazy aggressive towards us first. Several people witnessed this. I get snatched right out of the booth and thrown to the ground. Six cops with at least one with his foot on my neck pinning me down. Never resisted at all. Wound up with a bunch of burns, cuts and bruises all over me, a 15-hour stint at Madison, and a motherfucking TRESPASSING CHARGE. On some bullshit.

It was hard enough to go back to work after Coachella.

faxman75
05-01-2009, 11:48 AM
Local music + the light rail + first friday =
http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/events/promo/1260143

TomAz
05-01-2009, 11:56 AM

Why are you in this thread? Go away.

chairmenmeow47
05-01-2009, 11:58 AM
you had to go to madison for that shit?! fucking hell.

TomAz
05-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Ditched my crutches last month!

Some dude started yelling at me and my friends at IHop early Saturday morning so I yelled back. He gets up and comes towards us. Cops are there instantly (because they love pancakes as much as I do) and tell me to leave. I state I haven't done anything wrong to warrant me leaving because the other guy was being crazy aggressive towards us first. Several people witnessed this. I get snatched right out of the booth and thrown to the ground. Six cops with at least one with his foot on my neck pinning me down. Never resisted at all. Wound up with a bunch of burns, cuts and bruises all over me, a 15-hour stint at Madison, and a motherfucking TRESPASSING CHARGE. On some bullshit.

It was hard enough to go back to work after Coachella.

http://microapp.vvmedia.com/phx/tshirts/arpaio-men.jpg

sin213
05-01-2009, 12:25 PM
that is some bullshit, denies....i'd sue the police dept for that. the cops obviously overreacted because they were pulled away from their pancakes and syrup.

faxman75
05-01-2009, 01:38 PM
Rocky Point has turned into a ghost town. The drug violence has finally hit there coupled with the economy and the flu, it's empty.

http://www.azcentral.com/business/articles/2009/05/01/20090501biz-rockypoint0501.html

chairmenmeow47
05-01-2009, 01:41 PM
i have never been to rocky point, which is odd for a native! but even before the heightened drug violence and all that, it just seems a bit sketchy.

also, in addition to bassmint, i will probably try to hit up my friend nick's event with my girls:

http://www.acumenevents.com/Images/fabrikmain.jpg

On May 1st we weave the first threads of FABrik. Join us after your First Friday art excursions for drinks and dance music.

FABrik (http://www.fabrikaz.com/)@ Majerle's (2nd St & Washington)

24 North 2nd Street
Phoenix, AZ 85004

21+
10pm-2am
$5 before 11, $10 after

Resident DJs:

CL McSpadden (Hook Recordings / Limbo Records)
Mitch Mills (Emerald Forest)
Nick Synergy (Sonic Dragon Records / Overmind Works)

LooseAtTheZoo
05-01-2009, 06:49 PM
I'm off to First Friday and will be wearing a white polo shirt/jeans. If you see me say hi

mountmccabe
05-02-2009, 03:30 PM
I just listened to some School of Seven Bells and they've won the May 31st conflict.

Also I knew that Ben formerly of the Secret Machines was in the band but that was all I know. Which is to say I didn't know that Alejandra and Claudia Deheza from On! Air! Library! were in the band. Damn.

PC-2 Violence
05-02-2009, 05:05 PM
I just listened to some School of Seven Bells and they've won the May 31st conflict.

See you there

karma_guy
05-02-2009, 05:23 PM
may 31st for phx/tucson is such a clusterfuck
that said i'm going with animal collective
though i'm sad im missing st. vincent and school of 7 bells

westcoastpirate
05-03-2009, 02:07 PM
http://www.acumenevents.com/Images/fabrikmain.jpg

On May 1st we weave the first threads of FABrik. Join us after your First Friday art excursions for drinks and dance music.

FABrik (http://www.fabrikaz.com/)@ Majerle's (2nd St & Washington)

24 North 2nd Street
Phoenix, AZ 85004

21+
10pm-2am
$5 before 11, $10 after

Resident DJs:

CL McSpadden (Hook Recordings / Limbo Records)
Mitch Mills (Emerald Forest)
Nick Synergy (Sonic Dragon Records / Overmind Works)

I'm very curious as to how this event was? Did anyone go? I suspect they opened up that huge back room at Marjerle's.

chairmenmeow47
05-04-2009, 08:18 AM
it was the room that you off of washington and not 2nd street like you enter the restaurant. no one was really there. i've been to a house night before there too and it was kinda dead. a lot of our friends were over at the bassmint thing though. that was fun. saw a ton of people i hadn't seen in awhile. also had a good time walking up roosevelt & garfield for first fridays. i bought some charms that were made of old scrabble pieces.

here are some pics from bassmint, courtesy of my friend ray ray!

me & my friend ray ray, who hosts my gallery:

http://www.hardcoredreamer.com/gallery/d/781377-2/Bassmint+1-5+1.jpg

my girls <3

http://www.hardcoredreamer.com/gallery/d/781542-2/Bassmint+1-5+5.jpg

me and the bean:

http://www.hardcoredreamer.com/gallery/d/781430-2/Bassmint+1-5+21.jpg

i believe this was done by the house of flying paint guy:

http://www.hardcoredreamer.com/gallery/d/781402-2/Bassmint+1-5+15.jpg

chill area with steve edwards, victor gonzales and some other people:

http://www.hardcoredreamer.com/gallery/d/781446-2/Bassmint+1-5+25.jpg

http://www.hardcoredreamer.com/gallery/d/781534-2/Bassmint+1-5+48.jpg

chairmenmeow47
05-04-2009, 10:00 AM
AND WHAT THE HOLY HELL IS GOING ON FOR CINCO DE DRINKO TOMORROW?!?!??!?!

amyzzz
05-04-2009, 10:35 AM
Asobi Seksu! That's what I want to do anyway.

faxman75
05-04-2009, 10:36 AM
I will be at Asobi Seksu. If 10 of us are there that means we will probalby be half the crowd. Awesome!

amyzzz
05-04-2009, 10:38 AM
Will someone tell me where the heck it's at? :) (address?)

faxman75
05-04-2009, 10:48 AM
1056 NW Grand Ave. Just get on Grand at 7th AVE and go about 3 miles. It's on the right side before you reach the I 10. next to bikini. In fact they share the same parking I believe. It's very small so keep your eyes open.

westcoastpirate
05-04-2009, 10:53 AM
1056 NW Grand Ave. Just get on Grand at 7th AVE and go about 3 miles. It's on the right side before you reach the I 10. next to bikini. In fact they share the same parking I believe. It's very small so keep your eyes open.

1506 NW Grand Ave

faxman75
05-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Yeah, what he said. Who knows what building on grand you would have ended up at.

captncrzy
05-04-2009, 11:23 AM
I'm going to try but I have a work function that lasts until six; won't be home till 7. Depends on how tired I am.

chairmenmeow47
05-04-2009, 11:25 AM
i need something more drinking oriented, thanks though guys :)

we'll probably end up at some mexican restaurant, my half-mexican girlfriend and i need to reprazent!!!

Mr. Dylanja
05-04-2009, 12:16 PM
CERVEZA CERVEZA CERVEZA!!!!!!

faxman75
05-04-2009, 12:29 PM
yay I got another photo radar ticket. Aproximately 66 in a 55 on the I 17 near Indian School.

I was told step by step this time how to get out of it. I simply checked option two. The driver is not me. I then wote on the back a made up name of a person in Florida. Signed and printed it was true and mailed in a copy of my drivers license.

I should recieve the dismissal in 4-6 weeks. I'll keep you posted on how well this works.

Mr. Dylanja
05-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Taxy-vasion is taking it to the next level!! We have to hang out soon so I can increase my street cred.

faxman75
05-04-2009, 12:32 PM
I asked the trunkspace for some details....

Hi Mark,

Check the SELECT Shows website:
www.azpartygirlz.com

I don't know what time they'll go on, I suspect before 11, and cover will be between 6-10 dollars I think.

Thanks,
JRC--The Trunk Space

chairmenmeow47
05-04-2009, 12:33 PM
my mom totally turned me in for the photo radar. does she not know snitches get stitches?!

faxman75
05-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Holy mom fail! Why would she do that?

PC-2 Violence
05-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Wit da wat now????

MAY
5/15 Kevin Devine, Miniature Tigers @ Phix Gallery
5/15 Jane's Addiction, Nine Inch Nails @ Cricket Wireless Pavilion
5/17 Say Hi, Cloud Cult, Ice Palace @ The Rhythm Room
5/19 Flight of the Conchords, Arj Barker @ Dodge Theater
5/20 Telekinesis @ The Rhythm Room
5/21 The Dears, Eulogies, Great Northern @ The Rhythm Room
5/26 The Thermals, The Shaky Hands @ The Rhythm Room
5/27 The Detroit Cobras @ The Rhythm Room
5/31 School of Seven Bells, Black Moth Super Rainbow @ The Rhythm Room
5/31 St. Vincent @ Modified
JUNE
6/8 Constantines, I Was A King @ The Rhythm Room
6/16 Viva Voce, Cut Off Your Hands @ The Rhythm Room
6/17 Telepathe @ Modified
6/28 John Vanderslice @ Modified
6/29 A.A. Bondy @ Modified

JULY
7/28 Pat Benatar @ Dodge Theater

chairmenmeow47
05-04-2009, 01:11 PM
man, if randy wasn't flying out the night of the 17th, i could totally take him to cloud cult. CORN!

faxman75
05-04-2009, 01:58 PM
I'm going to miss Cloud Cult on the way to Vegas for NIN/JA.

mountmccabe
05-04-2009, 02:22 PM
I will be at Asobi Seksu. If 10 of us are there that means we will probalby be half the crowd. Awesome!

There wasn't a bad crowd for their last headlining gig, October 2006 at Modified. If there had been normal promotion for this and it had been at Modified or Rhythm Room (where they last played in Phoenix, opening for Mates of State) I bet there'd be 150+. As it stands I expect the show to sell out.

we'll probably end up at some mexican restaurant, my half-mexican girlfriend and i need to reprazent!!!

The Trunk Space is right next to the Bikini Lounge. I expect many of us will be stopping over between sets.

The others will be other there drinking between songs.

westcoastpirate
05-04-2009, 04:00 PM

If you want to get c-runk, and have Wed off work to nurse a hangover, I highly recommend going to Aunt Chilada's off 16th St between Northern and Glendale. I've been a couple times for Cinco de Mayo and it's been pure insanity.

If you want to go somewhere more chill, but still rocking, check out Padre's near 10th St and Camelback.

chairmenmeow47
05-04-2009, 04:07 PM
i'm a bit scared of getting drunk at 16th & glendale, but i do need to eat there someday.

and as much as i love bikini, i know my single girlfriend is looking for something a little more... trouble. lol

thanks for the tips! :)

westcoastpirate
05-04-2009, 04:09 PM
You can always go to one of the Dos Gringos locations, but be ready to bro-down

chairmenmeow47
05-04-2009, 04:11 PM
unfortunately my girlfriend would probably love to bro-down. i have a feeling we'll end up in scottsdale :(

LooseAtTheZoo
05-04-2009, 04:44 PM

Do you have any idea how much it costs? It didn't say on the Trunk Space website.

I'll be there tomorrow

LooseAtTheZoo
05-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Disregard my previous message. Good to know I don't need to get there until after 9.

westcoastpirate
05-04-2009, 04:46 PM
I guess you can hit Salty Senorita or Dos in Scottsdale, they're relatively close to each other. Both of those will have their fair share of guys over 35 with Famous Stars and Straps gear.

Somewhat Damaged
05-04-2009, 09:46 PM
yay I got another photo radar ticket. Aproximately 66 in a 55 on the I 17 near Indian School.

Dude, you deserve so much shit for this. You've known about the cameras for months. You've gotten how many tickets now? Three? All you have to do is pay attention to the signs on the road. "Photo Enforcement 1/2 Mile" should be your cue to check your speed and determine how fast you can legally go, then add 10 to that. If it's 55, drive 60. Just to be safe. And if that's too much time going slowly, you get another notice at "300 Feet." No sympathy for you, Mark. None whatsoever. :nono

That being said, looking forward to shooting the shit with you and whoever else happens to attend Asobi Seksu. Who all's going to Bikini beforehand? I know you don't drink, Amy, but there's lots of fun things to do at the Bikini Lounge. Like, uh, talk with those of us who are drinking. I'm figuring I'll get there around 8. Don't want to spend too much on alcohol.
Oh, and if the band goes on at 10:30 or later, I'm going to be pretty fucking annoyed and may even consider not going. That means getting home after midnight, asleep around 1, and only getting 5 hours of sleep in advance of the busiest day of my week. No thanks.

Mr. Dylanja
05-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Rick, you're such a fuckin' animal!!!

faxman75
05-04-2009, 10:10 PM
I would never ask for sympapthy :lool but for the record that is only my second one. The first one was back in November. I was just cruising home after watching my son play flag football. Hopefully this one gets dismissed like the last and thinking it will be.

Rick we may meet you up there at Bikini around 8ish or so. I'm with you being annoyed if it starts late.

PC-2 Violence
05-05-2009, 08:15 AM
I will be in Scottsdale tonight Ivy, I am going to see Dredg @ Martini Ranch I think. If you are going to Dos then I will see you there.

BTW Cloud Cult and SO7B is going down REGARDLESS...

16th st & Glendale? Well I live right there and I have never seen anything that I enjoy around there, maybe Bombay Spice but I dont know if it is still there or not. Padres is OK, but it sounds like you have some sort of bond with that place.

Somewhat Damaged
05-05-2009, 08:25 AM
I would never ask for sympapthy :lool but for the record that is only my second one. The first one was back in November. I was just cruising home after watching my son play flag football. Hopefully this one gets dismissed like the last and thinking it will be.

Rick we may meet you up there at Bikini around 8ish or so. I'm with you being annoyed if it starts late.

Okay, I must've mistaken you for Audra. And that rant was probably better suited for that asshole 68-year-old who shot and killed one of the operators of the speed enforcement vans, who didn't even happen to be a cop. (Not that it would've been okay if it was a cop, but the cop would've been more likely to have had a firearm on his person to defend himself.) I hope that cocksucker gets life. And you'd think of any demographic, a 68-year-old wouldn't give a shit about not being able to drive 76+ mph.

I was thinking that if the show goes too late, I could just take a sick day tomorrow, but I've got a new account starting up and I'd like to process it, so that's a no go. I'll at least be at Bikini. I'm gonna ask the doorman at Trunkspace if they've got a better idea what time the band will go on, and if it's too much after 10, I'm outta there.

chairmenmeow47
05-05-2009, 08:28 AM
sweet! aj, i'll text you if we end up in scottsdale, which i assume we will :)

Mr. Dylanja
05-05-2009, 08:44 AM
I'm not drinking tonight, but if I was I'd prefer DOS EQUIS. Stay thirsty my friends.

PC-2 Violence
05-05-2009, 08:46 AM
I'm not drinking tonight, but if I was I'd prefer DOS EQUIS. Stay thirsty my friends.

Shredder?

PC-2 Violence
05-05-2009, 08:47 AM
sweet! aj, i'll text you if we end up in scottsdale, which i assume we will :)

you are getting a text REGARDLESS

sin213
05-05-2009, 08:49 AM
damn, ivy. i'd be pissed if my mom ratted me out! plus, since she's identified you, there is no way out of it now.

fax, pay attention to road signs...

that sux that a speed enforcement worker got killed...they should have just shot out the windows in the car and the equipment. if that happened just a couple times, they'd be afraid to even go out and set those vehicles up. they could try to get real cops to do it, but that wouldn't work. the whole idea is that this is do-able without expending any police resources.

faxman75
05-05-2009, 08:51 AM
Okay, I must've mistaken you for Audra. And that rant was probably better suited for that asshole 68-year-old who shot and killed one of the operators of the speed enforcement vans, who didn't even happen to be a cop. (Not that it would've been okay if it was a cop, but the cop would've been more likely to have had a firearm on his person to defend himself.) I hope that cocksucker gets life. And you'd think of any demographic, a 68-year-old wouldn't give a shit about not being able to drive 76+ mph.

I was thinking that if the show goes too late, I could just take a sick day tomorrow, but I've got a new account starting up and I'd like to process it, so that's a no go. I'll at least be at Bikini. I'm gonna ask the doorman at Trunkspace if they've got a better idea what time the band will go on, and if it's too much after 10, I'm outta there.

Sounds good. We'll plan on meeting you up there around 8ish then. I got the trunkspace newsletter and they list the show but still no cover charge though they list prices for other shows upcoming. Maybe it's a freebie. We'll see. I would hope that because it's a weeknight they would start by 10PM.

amyzzz
05-05-2009, 09:37 AM
Ok, I am a complete idiot. I conveniently forgot that I can't really go out during the week unless I make special plans for someone to watch my kids since Jacob leaves for work a little after 9pm. So I can't go damnit. I wanted to! Sorry guys. I will have to wedge in all my partying at NIN/JA next Friday.

faxman75
05-05-2009, 09:42 AM
So is the post show NINJA party at Dylan's?
D$ FTW!

What a great idea zzzzzz's!

mountmccabe
05-05-2009, 09:44 AM
If you want to get c-runk, and have Wed off work to nurse a hangover, I highly recommend going to Aunt Chilada's off 16th St between Northern and Glendale. I've been a couple times for Cinco de Mayo and it's been pure insanity.

If you want to go somewhere more chill, but still rocking, check out Padre's near 10th St and Camelback.

I haven't been to either place for Cinco de Mayo but both places have good food and great drinks. The margarita selection at Aunt Chilada's is stellar and the tequila selection at Padre's makes me salivate. For food Padre's is more Modern Mexican/fusion but it's still worth going for.

chairmenmeow47
05-05-2009, 09:57 AM
D$ FTW!

What a great idea zzzzzz's!

according to the PAW thread, that's the plan! sucks cause my roommie is doing another bassmint thing that night :(

also, my dad has used his RCI timeshare for a week at this resort in mesa for his graduation so family has a place to stay. well, turns out family will be staying elsewhere, so randy and i get the place to ourselves when he comes out for NIN/JA, PIMP!!! hot tub in the room!!!!!!!!!!!

amyzzz
05-05-2009, 10:01 AM
I wonder if I should just stay up all night next Friday -- I have to go to my kid's concert at 10am on the following Saturday. :D

faxman75
05-05-2009, 10:03 AM
Don't forget to bring the boom!

So, Talib Kweli's tour page on his website confuses me. It says he plays the Brickhouse in August but doesn't list any shows until July. He plays The Rialto on Friday and from what I can tell he is playing the Clubhouse on May 20th. I think i'm going to hit the Clubhouse show. Any other Talib fans?

Now another site says he plays the clubhouse on May 10th. I'm so confused. Guess i'll keep researching.

Mr. Dylanja
05-05-2009, 10:07 AM
I love Talib but I absolutely hate the Brickhouse, I will never step foot in that place again unless it's a top three band for me, which it won't be.

I have to take my lil bro home after the show, then I'll be back at my place. Maybe I can just give the key to Ally or something.

Cover is $10 and all topless ladies get in FREE!!

sin213
05-05-2009, 10:09 AM
didn't the brickhouse close?

Mr. Dylanja
05-05-2009, 10:10 AM
My bad, clubhouse, they're both horrifying.

amyzzz
05-05-2009, 10:12 AM
Actually it was faxy's bad.

sin213
05-05-2009, 10:14 AM
clubhouse is ok...not great. i just don't like how late shows run there. most times i've seen any show there, the headliner doesn't go on until 11pm or 12am. and rap/hip hop shows are even later...going on after midnight or later with the show going to 2am. even on a weekend, i don't like staying out that late.

faxman75
05-05-2009, 10:16 AM
didn't the brickhouse close?

I drive by it every single day and it looks very closed to me. Actually the last 2 weeks the street has been closed and I haven't driven by it but I know it had to be at least for a while.

The Clubhouse is a shittier venue than the Brickhouse in my opinion. I fucking hate the Clubhouse. I will go see Talib though. After more research I still can't find tickets anywhere. I can't tell if the show is this Sunday or not. They are playing in Tucson on Friday night but i'm not going back to the Rialto especially if he is playing here. I haven't been to a real hip hop show in forever so I am trying to make a point of it. Is this unorganization a black thing?

faxman75
05-05-2009, 10:17 AM
Actually it was faxy's bad.

:( what did I do?

I see shows scheduled for both venues depending on what site i'm looking at. I see The rialto in Tucson this Friday. The clubhouse this Sunday and the clubhouse May 20th as well as The Brickhouse in August.

amyzzz
05-05-2009, 10:20 AM
Nevermind. :)

chairmenmeow47
05-05-2009, 11:14 AM
i liked the brickhouse, lame. the door guy would sometimes let me in for free. only he'd do it by giving me "change" that was the exact amount i paid, lol. the clubhouse gets way too hot, but i'd see talib there. sage francis last spring at the clubhouse was a dope show, though the venue blows.

sin213
05-05-2009, 11:22 AM
i loved the brickhouse. decent sound, never packed...and the bartenders made the strongest drinks i've ever had at any venue. my friend has left his card at that place many nights cause we were sooooo drunk by the time we left.

faxman75
05-05-2009, 11:37 AM
I saw a couple shows at the Brickhouse. One was the worst Calexico show I ever saw and I don't blame the band. It was the most stripped down Calexico as well, like 4 members total on stage from what I recall. The show was supposed to start at 11 but they d idn't get on stage until after 12:30 because they had a plubming issue that night. The toilets were all busted and water was actually leaked all the way out to the main floor near the stage. I also saw Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers there and it was a great show. They had the outside open as well with big screens to watch the band from there. They also had fire jugglers and all kinds of carnival madness. It was a blast.

I'm still not positive if the Brickhouse is closed for good or it was just temporary.

mountmccabe
05-05-2009, 11:44 AM
When the Brickhouse had re-entry it was OK. That was when they had good beer on tap, too but then they lost that AND stopped letting you leave.

Also, damn, I just forgot that when they first opened they had AWESOME food, too. Good beer and good food; I was stoked. I ate there last August and really shouldn't've; going hungry would've been much better for my body.

Still, bad shape (long rather than wide), generally bad sound, bad crowds that were often just out at a bar to talk to people rather than listen to a band and the staff was generally unaware that there was a show going on, too. I still remember the climax of that Boris show being downed out by the staff choosing that point to throw away all the beer bottles. I was right up front, too. To make matters worse there were people pushing through the front of the crowd to hand out fliers for upcoming shows (to be fair, these were not Brickhouse staff, they were from the production company.)

For the last few years I have counted it as easily the worst venue of its size/type in Phoenix.

downingthief
05-05-2009, 11:46 AM
Last time I was at the Brickhouse, I threw my guitar down cause I was pissed at the sound guy. My drummer then proceeded to do his best Keith Moon imitation and started pushing over his drums. Ended up breaking one of the sound guy's mic's. Serves him right. Prick.

Long story short...Sean no likey the Brickhouse.

sin213
05-05-2009, 11:51 AM
guess i just went to some decent shows there...i never had much complaints with the crowd or sound. i do agree that it sux that its longer than it is wide...but oh well. i had always been able to get as close as i wanted.

faxman75
05-05-2009, 11:52 AM
So, venues in the valley with the "house" in the name suck ass.

As bad as I hear the Marquee is, it's not nearly as bad as those two smaller venues.

sin213
05-05-2009, 12:05 PM
I LOVE MARQUEE!!!

i go there many times a month. just a big open room, good sound. i always get good recordings from there.

chairmenmeow47
05-05-2009, 12:07 PM
i like the marquee as a venue. the door people are fucking nazis though, the bartenders are flat-out rude and they are dicks about cameras there. as a venue it's really nice, i just get annoyed by the people that work there.

and the brickhouse did have it's downsides, but i liked that it wasn't a typical "club" like a lot of other venues, it was mid-sized so the bigger DNB acts could pack the place, you could set your drinks on the tables that outlined the 21+ area and then step to the 18+ area to dance and still be able to drink your drink and security and all that was generally low-key in my experience. they also had tables & chairs, FANCY THAT!

the room itself was odd and any configuration besides being on the front stage never quite worked right for me. i don't really notice sound issues, so i can't speak to that. but it was a great, legal venue for DNB shows. it's so hard to find decent venues for DNB, so i really appreciated it for that. i can see how it would be nothing special for concerts though; i went to a big ska show there that was a bit awkward for example. but EDM needs all the legal venues with cheaper drinks it can get, so i will miss the brickhouse!!!

sin213
05-05-2009, 12:10 PM
yeah, i hate taking my shoes off all the time. i don't think they've ever found anything in anyones shoes anyways...they have relaxed on the camera policy though unless the artist makes a point of stating no cameras.

chairmenmeow47
05-05-2009, 12:14 PM
well, then she wants revenge must be the cunts, not the marquee. i took all the video i wanted at the femmes, but they were bitches at SWR.

the shoe thing REALLY pisses me off. i wasn't required to take off my shoes at the fucking NIN show there, but to see the faint open up for bright eyes? wtf?! am i hiding a promise ring or something?!

marooko
05-05-2009, 12:17 PM
is there a big xerox repair shop there that you guys know of? or parts dealer or something like that?

and why do you guys shoot tall, skinny white boys.

sin213
05-05-2009, 12:17 PM
i think i took mine off for nin...both nights...

and yeah, the camera policy is artist driven. and they can be nazis about it...and they are definitely nazis about smokin weed in there. anyone that lights up is snagged within moments of doing it...unless you can hide it really, really well.

my buddy lit up at a show once and had security on him in less that 20 secs...and there weren't there when he did it. came out of nowhere. he didn't get kicked out though..good thing.

amyzzz
05-05-2009, 12:19 PM
well, then she wants revenge must be the cunts, not the marquee. i took all the video i wanted at the femmes, but they were bitches at SWR.

the shoe thing REALLY pisses me off. i wasn't required to take off my shoes at the fucking NIN show there, but to see the faint open up for bright eyes? wtf?! am i hiding a promise ring or something?!
If you were at a Bright Eyes concert, they'd probably be checking for razor blades...

Mr. Dylanja
05-05-2009, 12:27 PM
my buddy lit up at a show once and had security on him in less that 20 secs...and there weren't there when he did it. came out of nowhere. he didn't get kicked out though..good thing.

Far back bathroom stall, ghost it.

chairmenmeow47
05-05-2009, 12:28 PM
If you were at a Bright Eyes concert, they'd probably be checking for razor blades...

*zzzing*

and i'd never even attempt to smoke there unless it was super crowded and someone was passing to me. i really try to avoid doing anything illegal in tempe if i can avoid it.

sin213
05-05-2009, 12:29 PM
i hear ya on that...

i think we did smoke at nin...that shit was PACKED though.

Gribbz
05-05-2009, 12:33 PM
Wait, they make you take your shoes off at the Marquee? I think that's one of the few AZ venues I haven't been to yet.

sin213
05-05-2009, 12:37 PM
every time. no matter what show it is.

Gribbz
05-05-2009, 12:38 PM
Goodness.....

sin213
05-05-2009, 12:41 PM
yeah, its not fun. especially when you forget to wear slip on/off shoes...try unlacing a pair of docs, then lacing up again...what a pain. i always wear my vans now, so i can just kick em on and off.

Gribbz
05-05-2009, 12:42 PM
I'm gonna have to find another way to sneak in all my razors/needlez.

sin213
05-05-2009, 12:45 PM
waistline. they pat it, but don't make you drop your shorts...yet...

mountmccabe
05-05-2009, 01:03 PM
I think the Clubhouse is fine. I have generally had good sound there. The bar staff is cool; the security staff... well they've gone through various itterations there. Sometimes they're OK. I like that the general bar area is clearly seperated in the back; the floor near the stage tends to be filled with people who are interested in the show.

When that place gets crowded it gets miserable faster than most places. Also the bathrooms are more revolting than normal, and not in a charming way.

The Marquee is erratic. I've had good sound and I've had terrible sound there. I do like that it's GA. There's no real competition, though. Is it really the only venue in the 1000-2000 capacity range?

Also I have occasionally seen staff go after folks that light up in there but more often I see somebody light up and nothing happens. I must admit I often think about trying to call over security, at least if they smoking a cig. I've never gotten sick enough to miss work due to second-hand smoke from weed, though, so I don't right care on that front.

Back before they banned indoor smoking in public places I was starting to give up on shows. Fuckin' allergies.

M Sparks
05-05-2009, 01:04 PM

I haven't been keeping up...any plans for a meet-up before or at the show?

I think we're just turning right around and back to Flagstaff afterward. I know you'll all be so disappointed.

chairmenmeow47
05-05-2009, 01:05 PM
I haven't been keeping up...any plans for a meet-up before or at the show?

I think we're just turning right around and back to Flagstaff afterward. I know you'll all be so disappointed.

we're planning to meet-up after at dylan's. since the show is kinda early, i doubt many of us will be free beforehand, i know i'll be picking up randy from the airport myself. it would be nice to meet you, but living in flagstaff, i can understand wanting to get back early!!! if you do want to hang for a bit though, dylan's would actually be on your way home from the venue.

it's hard for me to take the heat at the clubhouse since i'm generally there to dance. i really only go there if there's someone i absolutely must see.

marooko
05-05-2009, 01:08 PM
so no xerox info?

chairmenmeow47
05-05-2009, 01:09 PM
i don't know of any xerox info, sorry :(

M Sparks
05-05-2009, 01:10 PM
The Marquee is erratic. I've had good sound and I've had terrible sound there. I do like that it's GA. There's no real competition, though. Is it really the only venue in the 1000-2000 capacity range?

RevCo/Ministry was perhaps the worst sound quality I've ever heard at a show. Every other time I've been there, it's been decent.

And yes, I can't think of any other venues that size. The Roxy & Electric Ballroom were probably close to 1000 "back in the day". Also, The Party Gardens probably topped out at 2000 or so.

chairmenmeow47
05-05-2009, 01:11 PM
i consider celebrity and marquee comprable for size, but i also can't really think of any GA venue that would be competition for marquee. except for maybe the nile, ahh the nile, how i miss that vile, disgusting slum <3

sin213
05-05-2009, 01:11 PM
i thought ministry sounded good...it was just too loud, which was causing some distortion on the speakers and rumbling in the building...

it can also depend on where you are in the venue. i stand in pretty much the same area for every show i see there.

sin213
05-05-2009, 01:13 PM
i consider celebrity and marquee comprable for size, but i also can't really think of any GA venue that would be competition for marquee. except for maybe the nile, ahh the nile, how i miss that vile, disgusting slum <3

yeah, the nile was great for as shitty of a place it was. i remember seeing many great bands there...marquee kinda took it's place.

clubhouse is probably the next closest competitor to marquee...

sin213
05-05-2009, 01:14 PM
does anyone remember bostons? they are bringing it back...new name, but still a venue. :D

mountmccabe
05-05-2009, 01:17 PM
it can also depend on where you are in the venue. i stand in pretty much the same area for every show i see there.

This is very true.

One time before I forget what show I got there too early and the place was empty they were playing Catherine Wheel's Adam & Eve over the PA and I decided to find how the sound varied around the room. Of course it'll be different if the place is packed with people but damn, it made a huge difference. Too close to the stage and the PAs are basically behind you. Too far back or off to one side and the sound goes sour quickly.

chairmenmeow47
05-05-2009, 01:18 PM
i used to be at bostons fucking weekly in high school. i miss the ska shows they used to have ALL THE TIME at that place. man i saw some great acts come through there. plus they never made a big deal about me being 15 & in the bar. i was so scared of the OI kids i never would have dreamed of drinking or doing anything wrong there, lol. such a fun venue, i loved the stage outside too. saw cherry poppin daddies for the first time there. ahh, bostons... OI TO THE RUDIES <3

M Sparks
05-05-2009, 01:19 PM
we're planning to meet-up after at dylan's. since the show is kinda early, i doubt many of us will be free beforehand, i know i'll be picking up randy from the airport myself. it would be nice to meet you, but living in flagstaff, i can understand wanting to get back early!!! if you do want to hang for a bit though, dylan's would actually be on your way home from the venue.

I probably will be arriving late too. We should have an informal between set meetup, but I guess most of you guys see each other all the time, so it's not a big deal.

chairmenmeow47
05-05-2009, 01:19 PM
i know randy, me and a few other people have lawn seats too, so it should be fairly easy to meet in between sets at least :)

mountmccabe
05-05-2009, 01:23 PM
yeah, the nile was great for as shitty of a place it was. i remember seeing many great bands there...marquee kinda took it's place.

clubhouse is probably the next closest competitor to marquee...

Trunk Space is about 100, Modified is 250. Rhythm Room is 350. Brickhouse is/was about 350 though when they first opened they'd run high every chance they got. The Clubhouse holds 650. The Marquee is up to about 1500. Celebrity is 2200 but I am not sure if that is for full house or 3/4; I'm guessing the latter. Mesa Amp is 4200, Dodge is 4500.

does anyone remember bostons? they are bringing it back...new name, but still a venue. :D

Ahh, Bostons. One of the great "small stage inside, parking lot stage outside" venues.

I want Bash on Ash to go back to having shows. I saw some fantastic shows there.

sin213
05-05-2009, 01:26 PM
i'd be up for coming back to the lawn between sets to say hi.

sin213
05-05-2009, 01:26 PM
yeah, the bash was always a good place too.

faxman75
05-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Trunk Space is about 100, Modified is 250. Rhythm Room is 350. Brickhouse is/was about 350 though when they first opened they'd run high every chance they got. The Clubhouse holds 650. The Marquee is up to about 1500. Celebrity is 2200 but I am not sure if that is for full house or 3/4; I'm guessing the latter. Mesa Amp is 4200, Dodge is 4500.

Damn you are good. Well done.

M Sparks

Bostons was the only venue I've ever been to where you could watch a show from behind the stage.

chairmenmeow47
i also miss the bash on ash. i don't miss their insane carding practices though as time went on. in high school, i was a regular at the swing nights and my older-looking partner was able to score us drinks without ID, and we were never carded for drinking them. this was like ages 15-17. then i went to an aquabats show there in like 2003 and was carded TEN TIMES, INCLUDING THE MOMENT WHEN I WAS SMOKING A JOINT WITH THE FUCKING SOUND GUY IN THE GODDAMN BOOTH. are you carding me to make sure i'm old enough to be doing something illegal, wtf?

but it was a dope, smaller venue. it was nice having a venue like that RIGHT off mill, so you could eat and such before the show. i really do miss the swing nights there :(

faxman75
05-05-2009, 01:30 PM
yeah, the bash was always a good place too.

They had some crazy rules at the bash too depending on the show. I seem to remember an actual fence between the front and the back of the venue at some point. If you drank you had to stand behind the fence. This was for later shows. I saw Ben Kweller there in like 2003 maybe. I remember I saw Nina Gordon in like 2000 there and it was completely different. They even had tables set up but you could drink anywhere with a wrist band. They had decent sound though.

chairmenmeow47
05-05-2009, 01:31 PM
the fence didn't come till the end of the bash on ash days and it was totally lame. i'd forgotten about that. no fence will ever match the stupidity of the mason jar fence though. you had like a 9x9 area you could be in RIGHT in front of the stage if you were underage, that's it.

faxman75
They used to do shows on occasion in the courtyard off Mill Ave. against the America West building I think. Next to where Have a Nice Day Cafe was. It was really good sound and a cool setting. Extra bonus for when the timed sprinklers would go off in the middle of a show.

sin213
oh yeah. they had the fence at quite a few shows. being that its downtown tempe, it was always a huge issue to make sure there wasn't underage drinking, which led to some drastic measures.

sin213
05-05-2009, 01:32 PM
the fence didn't come till the end of the bash on ash days and it was totally lame. i'd forgotten about that. no fence will ever match the stupidity of the mason jar fence though. you had like a 9x9 area you could be in RIGHT in front of the stage if you were underage, that's it.

yeah, but it made for a nice small compact area for moshing. :D

faxman75
05-05-2009, 01:33 PM

They used to do the fence thing at outdoors Nita's Hideaway shows at the old location not that attempt at a new Nita's on Souther and Price. I love how caging people is the solution to keeping alcohol contained.

I miss the old Nita's and Long Wongs the most.

amyzzz
05-05-2009, 01:37 PM
I've never had to take off my shoes at the Marquee. Perhaps they only make you remove your shoes if you're a guy (or a sketchy-looking guy, dunno ;) ).

M Sparks
05-05-2009, 01:40 PM
I never go to Cricket or whatever it's called now. Is there a place to meet that's convenient? We could meet there, say, 10 minutes after the first set is over.

BTW...who IS playing first? I'm only going because my friend has a leftover lawn ticket,so I haven't been paying attention. Hopefully it will go better than the last time Jane's & NIN played Phoenix together.

amyzzz
05-05-2009, 01:41 PM
I've never heard of Jane's and NIN playing together--it would have to have been 20 years ago.

captncrzy
05-05-2009, 01:41 PM
The Bash on Ash is now a condo rental office. I wonder what it smells of in there.

Cricket is pretty close to my house, but being that the kid will be at home, it makes it difficult to have any kind of pre/post party there.

In other news, Macayos across the street has been a zoo since 10am.

faxman75
05-05-2009, 01:42 PM
I never go to Cricket or whatever it's called now. Is there a place to meet that's convenient? We could meet there, say, 10 minutes after the first set is over.

BTW...who IS playing first? I'm only going because my friend has a leftover lawn ticket,so I haven't been paying attention. Hopefully it will go better than the last time Jane's & NIN played Phoenix together.

Street Sweeper Social Club >>> Nine Inch Nails >>>> Janes Addiction

Somewhere in the NIN thread is a list of what times each band will go on stage. I don't recall what time it was.

mountmccabe
05-05-2009, 01:43 PM
They used to do shows on occasion in the courtyard off Mill Ave. against the America West building I think. Next to where Have a Nice Day Cafe was. It was really good sound and a cool setting. Extra bonus for when the timed sprinklers would go off in the middle of a show.

I dont think I ever saw anything there; the sprinklers going off would be quite something, though.

Also Have A Nice Day Cafe used to be Gibsons. That was an fun, multi-tiered venue. I think the ground floor was All Ages/18+ and the upper balcony type area was 21+. Best show I saw there? the Dandy Warhols/Curve/Z-trip in the summer of 1998.

captncrzy
05-05-2009, 01:45 PM
That courtyard is still there...it's totally abandoned. I always wonder why they never do anything with it.

faxman75
05-05-2009, 01:46 PM
I saw Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers play out there. Mid show those sprinklers were nice. I think the show was in August of 2002. Lots of talk of it being Africa hot. A phrase he over used after several happy hour shows at the old Nita's where it was actually Africa hot.

mountmccabe
05-05-2009, 01:46 PM
Also I just realized what venue I really want back: The Web Theatre. That lasted about a year but they got some great shows. Like the Strokes in January 2002 with Longwave and somebody else that wasn't bad opening. Or mabye I'm thinking of Har Mar Superstar... in which case scratch the "wasn't bad" bit.

It was right downtown, it held something like 1200 and had a good outside courtyard.

I seriously want the Web Theatre. Like, I want to own/control it and put on shows there.

sin213
05-05-2009, 01:49 PM
I've never had to take off my shoes at the Marquee. Perhaps they only make you remove your shoes if you're a guy (or a sketchy-looking guy, dunno ;) ).

the funny thing is, i sneak tons of stuff into shows. ;) i've never once put stuff in my shoes, though.

sin213
05-05-2009, 01:49 PM
yess! the web theatre! that was a cool ass venue.

sin213
05-05-2009, 01:50 PM
Street Sweeper >>> Nine Inch Nails >>>> Janes Addiction

fixed. :p

M Sparks
05-05-2009, 01:50 PM
They had some crazy rules at the bash too depending on the show.

Bash On Ash is the only place I've ever been thrown out of, but it was after the show. I was like 10 paces ahead of my friend. Just as I got out the door, he called to wait. I tried to go back in, and this ape grabbed me and pushed me out. Never mind that it was, like 11pm, and the place was still 70% full. Somehow, me going back in for 5 minutes was going to keep him there all night.

I seem to remember an actual fence between the front and the back of the venue at some point. If you drank you had to stand behind the fence.

The Grind had the craziest fence...down the middle up to the stage. You could drink on the left side of the stage only.

Hayden Square Amphitheatre! I saw the weirdest bill ever there...Meat Puppets, Charlatans UK, and They Might Be Giants.

I also DIDN'T go see Pixies with Pere Ubu there, which is one of the great regrets of my life.

sin213
05-05-2009, 01:51 PM
The Bash on Ash is now a condo rental office. I wonder what it smells of in there.

Cricket is pretty close to my house, but being that the kid will be at home, it makes it difficult to have any kind of pre/post party there.

In other news, Macayos across the street has been a zoo since 10am.

i bet. we did quatro de mayo this year....just to avoid the crowds.

M Sparks
05-05-2009, 01:52 PM
Also Have A Nice Day Cafe used to be Gibsons. That was an fun, multi-tiered venue.

You could stand right over the stage. Also, before that it was Chuys. I don't know if it was related to the restaurants, but they had shows there.

M Sparks
05-05-2009, 01:54 PM
I've never heard of Jane's and NIN playing together--it would have to have been 20 years ago.

I was talking about Lollapalooza.

amyzzz
05-05-2009, 01:55 PM
I saw Garbage at Hayden Square, and I think I saw Crowded House there too.

amyzzz
05-05-2009, 01:56 PM
I was talking about Lollapalooza.
Oh, duh. I was there! NIN didn't really play though.

faxman75
05-05-2009, 01:57 PM
fixed. :p

Hey I didn't name the band. If they want to be a social club let them. I'm not sure they will be any good anyway. :lool

faxman75
05-05-2009, 01:59 PM
Also I just realized what venue I really want back: The Web Theatre. That lasted about a year but they got some great shows. Like the Strokes in January 2002 with Longwave and somebody else that wasn't bad opening. Or mabye I'm thinking of Har Mar Superstar... in which case scratch the "wasn't bad" bit.

It was right downtown, it held something like 1200 and had a good outside courtyard.

I seriously want the Web Theatre. Like, I want to own/control it and put on shows there.

I think they turned it into an ASU building. I saw Tori Amos and ICP there in the span of a week. Good sound. I think this was in late 2000 or early 2001.

faxman75
05-05-2009, 02:00 PM
Hayden Square Amphitheatre! I saw the weirdest bill ever there...Meat Puppets, Charlatans UK, and They Might Be Giants.

I also DIDN'T go see Pixies with Pere Ubu there, which is one of the great regrets of my life.

Ha, that's it! I thought it was funny they called it an ampitheater because it was just a stone plaza the band played on and the fans were all in the grass. It was good stuff though.

sin213
05-05-2009, 02:01 PM
Hey I didn't name the band. If they want to be a social club let them. I'm not sure they will be any good anyway. :lool

they will be good. try to catch it. ;) dumb name though.

faxman75
05-05-2009, 02:06 PM
I have a feeling we will arrive late. My roommates are coming and I don't think Cesar can get off work until 5 or 5:30. Then we are talking rush hour traffic from SE Phoenix to Glendale. Ughhh. I imagine we might be able to see from the back of the fence on the lawn. See what? Nothing lol. $10 tickets though so I can't complain.

M Sparks
05-05-2009, 02:06 PM
Oh, duh. I was there! NIN didn't really play though.

Hence the "hope it goes better than last time" :)

faxman75
05-05-2009, 02:07 PM
So is Rick the only one going to Asobi Seksu tonight?

westcoastpirate
05-05-2009, 02:07 PM
I want Bash on Ash to go back to having shows. I saw some fantastic shows there.

The Bash on Ash was the easiest venue to sneak in to. The bar next door shared the kitchen with the venue. Go in the bar side, walk through the kitchen and bam, you're in the under 21 area right in front of the stage.

amyzzz
05-05-2009, 02:11 PM
Hence the "hope it goes better than last time" :)
double duh. ugh.

M Sparks
05-05-2009, 02:12 PM
Somewhere in the NIN thread is a list of what times each band will go on stage. I don't recall what time it was.

THX

For WEEKDAY shows:
Street Sweeper Social Club: 7:00 - 7:30pm
Nine Inch Nails: 7:45 - 9:15pm
Jane's Addiction: 9:30 - close

For WEEKEND shows:
Street Sweeper Social Club: 7:30 - 8:00pm
Nine Inch Nails: 8:15 - 9:45pm
Jane's Addiction: 10:00 - close

So, only 15 minutes between sets? I guess meeting up 10 minutes after NIN wouldn't work that well.

And is Friday NIGHT a "weekend", even though Friday is a weekday?

faxman75
05-05-2009, 02:15 PM
I would assume Friday and Saturday are the weekend.

sin213
05-05-2009, 02:15 PM
i was wondering the same thing...i would assume its a weekend schedule though. friday night can run later and give people more time to get there. though i'll be there by 6:30...