PDA

View Full Version : The Phoenix Thread!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88

Somewhat Damaged
09-02-2008, 06:07 PM
Tucson + MMJ + $40 Ticket = WHY

Wait, I thought MMJ were playing Phoenix.

EDIT: Just saw on the Rialto website they're playing both cities. Huh.

I'm considering checking out Mogwai tomorrow night. Only $17, which is nothing, but I really ought to start packing my shit for my move this weekend.

locachica73
09-02-2008, 07:30 PM
I'm not trying to defend a baby puncher, but does the kid really know what he's missing? It's not like the baby thinks "I can't wait to blow bubbles when I get older."

It's not a logical comparison. You can't compare the suffering of the baby puncher, to the projection of an imaginary future life on the baby. You don't know what that baby's life would have been like. In fact, I'm betting it would have been pretty shitty, considering what the first few months were like.

I say the baby puncher gets the worse deal. The difference is, he deserves it.

Good explanation sparks. This is exactly where the conflict is.

As for who got the worse of the deal Loca, obviously I want a baby puncher to be punished, and he is. You wanted him to feel pain, and I can say probably that he will, for the rest of his life. He is and will be currently punished for the rest of his days.

Just to be sarcastic as always, maybe we should blame the video game, or the mother, or maybe the music he was listening to before he hit the baby. Maybe the artist just headlined Coachella, so in turn we can blame Coachella for promoting these artists in a glamorous way, ultimately making the puncher love music more than taking care of a crying baby.

I am going take a pass on responding because I am a little drunk and high right now and that would ruin my buzz. but good reading. thanks. :)

M Sparks
09-02-2008, 08:44 PM
Just to be sarcastic as always, maybe we should blame the video game, or the mother, or maybe the music he was listening to before he hit the baby. Maybe the artist just headlined Coachella, so in turn we can blame Coachella for promoting these artists in a glamorous way, ultimately making the puncher love music more than taking care of a crying baby.

FUCKING JACK JOHNSON!

LooseAtTheZoo
09-03-2008, 05:04 PM
Damn fax, how do you get these free tickets?

Also, where is MMJ selling tickets for 40? I got mine for 30 each.

Second also: There's some guy on craigslist selling Edgefest tickets for 25 each if anyone's interested.

Beck, MMJ, Gogol, and Sigur Ros within a week and a half of each other- this is gonna be fun

TomAz
09-03-2008, 05:13 PM
Damn fax, how do you get these free tickets?

Also, where is MMJ selling tickets for 40? I got mine for 30 each.

Second also: There's some guy on craigslist selling Edgefest tickets for 25 each if anyone's interested.

Beck, MMJ, Gogol, and Sigur Ros within a week and a half of each other- this is gonna be fun

and Okkervil River.

it's like PHX is trying to make up for sucking in 10 days' time.

amyzzz
09-03-2008, 05:21 PM
Only I don't like most of the bands. Ah me.

amyzzz
09-03-2008, 05:52 PM
Is there a Phx meetup coming up? I know I grumpily rejected it, but I have since changed my mind. And I'm frickin bored. :thu

Mr. Dylanja
09-03-2008, 05:57 PM
I finally met Rick, I think I scared him a little :sorry

locachica73
09-03-2008, 06:03 PM
Yes, I was wondering the same thing about the board meet up, I need to meet some new people.

LooseAtTheZoo
09-03-2008, 06:05 PM
and Okkervil River.

it's like PHX is trying to make up for sucking in 10 days' time.

True dat. Has anyone tried to make a list of all the tours by good to great bands that bypass Phoenix and sometimes Arizona completely? Right now off the top of my head (because the wounds are still fresh) are Radiohead and Nine Inch Nails.

But hey, you know, at least we make up for it in our other great cultural experiences.

Oh wait...

Mr. Dylanja
09-03-2008, 06:10 PM
True dat. Has anyone tried to make a list of all the tours by good to great bands that bypass Phoenix and sometimes Arizona completely? Right now off the top of my head (because the wounds are still fresh) are Radiohead and Nine Inch Nails.

But hey, you know, at least we make up for it in our other great cultural experiences.

Oh wait...

I think this is subliminally throwing the guilt your way Amy:nono

faxman75
09-03-2008, 06:12 PM
*LOL* good stuff Gonshman.

I'm down for a meetup whenever. I think we had Rula Bula on 9/30 or 09/23. How about a meetup maybe on Friday the 12th? I'm open to anything really.

locachica73
09-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Unfortunately payday isn't till the 15th so the 12th won't work for me since I found out I have to pay for in house counseling 3 days a week once my daughter comes home. bleh

LooseAtTheZoo
09-03-2008, 06:44 PM
I'd be up for Rula Bula (I don't know anyone on this board) but if 9/23 is the day thats MMJ

Somewhat Damaged
09-03-2008, 08:40 PM
I finally met Rick, I think I scared him a little :sorry

Why do you say that? I thought you and your friend were very cool and I envied the fact that you were shrooming during some of the more impressive light sequences of the show. Nope, no scaring was done. :)

Mr. Dylanja
09-03-2008, 08:54 PM
I'm sure I was a little bug-eyed, two tabs does that to me. Very nice to meet you as well.

So how'd you enjoy the shows, which did you like better and what were you highlights?

captncrzy
09-03-2008, 10:03 PM
I think I'm going to Okkerville too...I'm willing to give them one more chance after the hotbox fiasco. And I'm down for a meetup on Mill whenever. I still say Casey Moore's > Rula Bula though

Mr. Dylanja
09-03-2008, 10:09 PM
Jen, how was the SB show for you?

captncrzy
09-03-2008, 10:14 PM
Jen, how was the SB show for you?

...meh...

I posted my musings in the Radiohead thread. Lets just say I won't be going out of my way to see them again.

Somewhat Damaged
09-03-2008, 11:47 PM
I'm sure I was a little bug-eyed, two tabs does that to me. Very nice to meet you as well.

So how'd you enjoy the shows, which did you like better and what were you highlights?

I liked Santa Barbara more. I thought the main set flowed a lot better; I don't have ADD but my attention span is pretty awful sometimes and my mind has the tendency to wander at some inopportune times. I started getting a little bored, truth be told, at San Diego, but was not bored at all in Santa Barbara. Perhaps it was 'cause of the way they staggered some of the songs, and the surprises of their OKC material (including "No Surprises" and "Karma Police") kept me more attentive. And since I had a more straight-on view in SB, I got to appreciate the amazing lights for "Everything In Its Right Place." Favorite songs: "There There," "Talk Show Host," "Paranoid Android," "Optimistic" (the drumming on that is so fucking sick!), "Where I End and You Begin," "Just," "You and Whose Army," "Cymbal Rush," "Go Slowly," "The National Anthem," "Airbag," and "Lucky."

I missed Mogwai earlier this evening and don't think I'll be hitting up Edgefest either. If I can't score cheap enough tickets for Beck/MGMT and My Morning Jacket, I'm going to miss those shows, too. Good thing I already have my Sigur Ros ticket, and the Okkervil River show is another one I can't see myself missing (especially since Jen's going, too).

Mr. Dylanja
09-04-2008, 12:18 AM
That's weird, I feel the same way, just the exact opposite. I was off to the side and became a little bored at SB probably because I wasn't tripping :) The drumming intro to "Optomistic" I agree is amazing. I also think the SB setlist was better overall however I don't think anything truly stood out that night. In SD "Where I End and You Begin" blew me away and I can't believe you didn't mention "How to Disappear Completely"! That song, to me, was by far the most powerful and surprising of the two nights.

I'm aiming for a MacBook so I'll be missing those shows as well, however I do get paid Friday and will have my Sigur Ros tix by the end of the weekend.

amyzzz
09-04-2008, 04:12 PM
My Sigur Ros tickets are supposed to be in the mail. I haven't gotten them yet.

Somewhat Damaged
09-04-2008, 08:59 PM
I mentioned in the Radiohead tour thread that "How to Disappear Completely" would have been in my highlight list if not for the jackasses behind me who were so thrilled to be hearing the song in concert that they wouldn't shut the fuck up about how thrilled they were to be hearing the song in concert. Seriously, I wanted to murder them.

Mr. Dylanja
09-04-2008, 09:35 PM
You shoulda made them disappear completely =)

Is Sigur Ros GA? I think I've been to one show at Marquee with seats and it was a local talent showcase or something like that...

faxman75
09-04-2008, 10:14 PM
It's GA, all shows there pretty much are, I saw them set up seats in the back before for one show it was the mabeline tour starring Liz Phar. I don't want to talk about it.

Mr. Dylanja
09-05-2008, 12:20 AM
one show it was the mabeline tour starring Liz Phar. I don't want to talk about it.

Haha, a true LOL, oh that's too good!! Altho sadly I'm sure it was better than the talent showcase I attended...

How much are tix, 30?

Quadromarshia
09-05-2008, 06:23 AM
I miss Phoenix!

faxman75
09-05-2008, 08:44 AM
Haha, a true LOL, oh that's too good!! Altho sadly I'm sure it was better than the talent showcase I attended...

How much are tix, 30?

No clue. I'm guessing that's about right.

I saw Liz back in chicago when she was still indie at the ohh fuck i'm gonna admit this too, at the Lillith Fair. Saw her again when WCSE came out at a small club, both were great as she was still batteling stage fright and you could deffinitely see the jitters and such. When the self titled "Liz Phair" came out and the critics wanted to slash her throat because it sounded to mainstream or poppy I saw her at the Marquee on her first go around. Holy shit was it great. She looked hot as hell, she had her guitar, played the classics and the new songs, I was really drunk, I drank a bunch of tequilla before the show so after a couple of songs when it got quiet I shouted "FUCK THE CRITICS" to which I got a cute smile and a thank you and some fans cheering.

Fast forward 6 months and she plays there again and it's a disturbing fucking show. Her guitar became somewhat of an accessory, she had one of those wireleass headset microphones, was dressed like a glam star and to top it all off the crowd was all teen girls singing along to "give me your hot white cum".

I seriously felt like it was a whole new artists I was watching and wanted no part of it. The Cardigans played as well and some other chick band. Awful.

faxman75
09-05-2008, 08:45 AM
I take it no one is going up to Flagstaff next Wednesday night for Cracker/Camper Van Behtoven? It sucks that it's a fucking weekday night. Same with Mogwai on Tuesday. Oh well, I might still do Cracker as I haven't seen them live and electric since the mid 90's.

amyzzz
09-05-2008, 09:11 AM
Um, I disagree. The Cardigans were fucking FANTASTIC at that show. They had just changed up their style BIGTIME, but their live show clinched it for me and started liking their new songs quite a bit.

TomAz
09-05-2008, 09:24 AM
I take it no one is going up to Flagstaff next Wednesday night for Cracker/Camper Van Behtoven? It sucks that it's a fucking weekday night. Same with Mogwai on Tuesday. Oh well, I might still do Cracker as I haven't seen them live and electric since the mid 90's.

if that show was down here i'd be there in a second. but flag on a wednesday is not gonna work

mountmccabe
09-05-2008, 09:25 AM
I don't really mind when the Marquee sets up seats because they put them in the back so I can still stand in the front section and be happy. It doesn't happen that often and only happens when the show isn't near to being sold out and only for the more mellow acts.

TomAz
09-05-2008, 09:33 AM
I don't really mind when the Marquee sets up seats because they put them in the back so I can still stand in the front section and be happy. It doesn't happen that often and only happens when the show isn't near to being sold out and only for the more mellow acts.

the only show with seats I've ever been to at the Marquee was Eric Idle.

faxman75
09-05-2008, 09:39 AM
Um, I disagree. The Cardigans were fucking FANTASTIC at that show. They had just changed up their style BIGTIME, but their live show clinched it for me and started liking their new songs quite a bit.

I have to confess Amy, I was only there to see Liz, i only heard bits and pieces of the Cardigans between cigarettes and beers. Did you see Liz that night as well? Am I the only one that found it odd? It seemed sooooo differen than her first time around. I was uber bummed, I think I even left during the encores or something.

faxman75
09-05-2008, 09:40 AM
So, have we agreed on any meetups?

Somewhat Damaged
09-05-2008, 09:46 AM
How much are tix, 30?

Wait, you haven't got your tickets already? Shit, I just realized that I may have a little difficulty getting mine since they're gonna send them to my present address, which will be my former address after tomorrow. (Yup, becoming a Phoenician in the next 36 hours. Will have my new driver's license certifying me as such in the next few days.)

Fax: I would've gone to Lillith Fair back in '97, there's no shame in admitting that. Of course, my sole reason for going would've been Fiona Apple, but still, hold your head high.
As for a next meet-up, I think the next 3 Saturdays are out for me and captncrzy (she can correct me if I'm wrong). Maybe a Friday could work? I'm more of the "let everyone else make the decision and I'll show up and drink" mentality.

amyzzz
09-05-2008, 09:48 AM
I hate Liz Phair. I left early. :)

Also, I saw the Trash Can Sinatras at the Marquee with seats. The Sigur Ros show is now NOT going to have seats so getting the frickin presale was pretty much pointless. I wonder when my tickets will get here...?

faxman75
09-05-2008, 09:58 AM
Fridays are always better for me as well..

faxman75
09-05-2008, 09:58 AM
I hate Liz Phair. I left early. :)

Good choice.

amyzzz
09-05-2008, 10:02 AM
I'm sorry that she sucked for your sake though.

TomAz
09-05-2008, 10:31 AM
there is no good music this weekend.

somebody prove me wrong.

chairmenmeow47
09-05-2008, 10:31 AM
lillith fair was my first concert and it was to see fiona apple. she was only on that tour for four months too. and she was awesome. so was jewel actually. but i hold a special place for jewel as she went to a similar arts boarding school as me and she made it big the year i was at that school :)

i am still down for the pre-MMJ meet-up. rula bula? casey's?

faxman75
09-05-2008, 10:57 AM
I'm ok with both Rula or Caseys. Rula is a tad closer but Amy said she was reconsidering and might join us if we chose Casey's. My roommate Joel should be along as well. He travelled with me to Europe and is actually now dating a girl from Ireland that I met through this board and at Coachella, she posts rarely. It all comes full circle.

downingthief
09-05-2008, 10:58 AM
I'm only seeing OR that week, so a double weekday night out probably won't be in the works for me. :(

amyzzz
09-05-2008, 11:10 AM
I didn't say that. I just said I was reconsidering, period. Jacob likes Rula's.

mountmccabe
09-05-2008, 11:29 AM
there is no good music this weekend.

somebody prove me wrong.

Does tonight count as the weekend? If so Why? are playing at the Clubhouse.

Also local band Colorstore is playing at Phoenix Art Museum for First Friday. This is good because it is free and because it is at the art museum and a decent amount of their shows are at venues you don't go to.

And then there's stuff on Saturday. Art Edwards from the Refreshments is playing at Yucca Tap Room. I don't know if this counts as good to anybody.

Elmore James Jr is playing at the Rhythm Room. I like his father enough to be interested. I wish I had heard about this before yesterday. EDIT: Though it wouldn't've mattered because I'm going to the PSO opening night gala anyway. But that's another one, the Phoenix Symphony playing a slew of Wagner does count as good music in my book.

I am assuming you don't like Hall & Oates.

Also I am not sure how one could not consider B.B. King good music. He is playing the Celeb on Sunday. I can see how one would not go, though.

mountmccabe
09-05-2008, 11:33 AM
Also who is surprised that I answered?

amyzzz
09-05-2008, 11:35 AM
Kronos Quartet next weekend. I'm still debating that one.

faxman75
09-05-2008, 11:44 AM
I didn't say that. I just said I was reconsidering, period. Jacob likes Rula's.

Oh my bad..

faxman75
09-05-2008, 11:49 AM
And then there's stuff on Saturday. Art Edwards from the Refreshments is playing at Yucca Tap Room. I don't know if this counts as good to anybody.

I didn't even realize he was in town. He played a show with Brian Blush of the Refreshments a few weeks back in my hometown of Lansing, IL. Apparently it was not all that crowded and the bar is not all that big. Anyway, I won't be at this show as i'll have Connor and i'm still broke.

PC-2 Violence
09-05-2008, 01:21 PM
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm88/DJMaddRich/posterwebFINAL.jpg

Did not know if you guys new about this.

I guess these guys Identity Crisis just got back from doing shows w/ Little Brother.

Im for real hype on this.

TomAz
09-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Does tonight count as the weekend? If so Why? are playing at the Clubhouse.

Also local band Colorstore is playing at Phoenix Art Museum for First Friday. This is good because it is free and because it is at the art museum and a decent amount of their shows are at venues you don't go to.

Elmore James Jr is playing at the Rhythm Room. I like his father enough to be interested. I wish I had heard about this before yesterday. EDIT: Though it wouldn't've mattered because I'm going to the PSO opening night gala anyway. But that's another one, the Phoenix Symphony playing a slew of Wagner does count as good music in my book.

I am assuming you don't like Hall & Oates.

Also I am not sure how one could not consider B.B. King good music. He is playing the Celeb on Sunday. I can see how one would not go, though.

I have a Refreshments album somewhere.

Why? is a possibility though I was looking more to Saturday. are you going to this?

I do not like Hall & Oates.

BB King is great music and I've seen him two or three times. But last time I saw him he was in such poor health, his show had no fire. He sat and played his guitar and sang but not the way he used to sing. I prefer to keep the memory of when I saw him 20 years ago intact.

Elmore James Jr might be interesting. I don't know that I've ever met anyone whose dad was mentioned in a Beatles song.

Also who is surprised that I answered?

My first inclination was to write "John prove me wrong" but then I went with "somebody" instead. cuz I didn't know if you were around.

downingthief
09-05-2008, 01:57 PM
I opened for the Refreshments the second show they ever did. Ahh, memories. And, I'm old!

higgybaby23
09-05-2008, 01:57 PM
Mogwai and Fuck Buttons are playing the Rialto in Tucson, this Wednesday the 10th. $17 plus service charges.

amyzzz
09-05-2008, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the 10th reminder. ;)

mountmccabe
09-05-2008, 03:52 PM
Why? is a possibility though I was looking more to Saturday. are you going to this?

Elmore James Jr might be interesting. I don't know that I've ever met anyone whose dad was mentioned in a Beatles song.

I am probably going to Why? It depends on how I am feeling after the First Friday thing and/or if I get distracted.

Which song?

Also I was trying to think of other people mentioned in their songs so as to be able to say, "really, you haven't met ___?!" but all I've come up with are royalty and members of the band and that's less fun.

amyzzz
09-05-2008, 04:16 PM
I was wondering the song too.

TomAz
09-06-2008, 06:43 AM
Which song?

Also I was trying to think of other people mentioned in their songs so as to be able to say, "really, you haven't met ___?!" but all I've come up with are royalty and members of the band and that's less fun.

on "For You Blue": The song features John Lennon playing lap steel guitar with a shotgun shell as shown in the Let It Be movie. Harrison makes a few spoken comments during the song, including, "Go, Johnny, go" during Lennon's solo, and "Elmore James got nothing on this baby", perhaps referring to James' song "Madison Blues" which is similar to "For You Blue".

I don't think the Elmore James comment shows up in the movie though. just on the album.

Geno_g
09-06-2008, 12:27 PM
I'm going to AZ during Thanksgiving, about 30 mins away from Scottsdale, AZ, I know we are gonna hit up the bars/clubs in scottsdale, golf, and drink a lot during the wedding, is there any thing else cool to do around there? Thanks, my first time to AZ and I heard this time of year has nice weather, my cousin in law's family is from there so they should also know whats up, but wanted to hear from you boardies...

captncrzy
09-06-2008, 02:57 PM
If you like snobby uppity overpriced clubs, then Scottsdale is the place to be.

Except for the Coach House-but even then it's only cool during the day when all the meth addicts are hanging out there.

Geno_g
09-06-2008, 04:52 PM
damn, sounds like a nice area...

locachica73
09-06-2008, 05:19 PM
Scottsdale is a bit older area with alot of fake breasts. Tempe is the college town with lots of younger kids (some with fake breasts). But there is no lacking of places to go drinking around here. Maybe by then some of the stuff they are building downtown will be open for business. I am looking forward to that.

TomAz
09-07-2008, 07:24 AM
I'm going to AZ during Thanksgiving, about 30 mins away from Scottsdale, AZ, I know we are gonna hit up the bars/clubs in scottsdale, golf, and drink a lot during the wedding, is there any thing else cool to do around there? Thanks, my first time to AZ and I heard this time of year has nice weather, my cousin in law's family is from there so they should also know whats up, but wanted to hear from you boardies...

dude.. why would you say "30 mins away from Scottsdale"? that doesn't make any sense.

Geno_g
09-07-2008, 10:49 AM
They live a 30 min drive away from scottsdale, it makes perfect sense

M Sparks
09-07-2008, 11:00 AM
dude.. why would you say "30 mins away from Scottsdale"? that doesn't make any sense.

I didn't even notice that...what a weird thing to say.

They live a 30 min drive away from scottsdale, it makes perfect sense

Because if you're 30 minutes from Scottsdale, you actually ARE somewhere else. But it could be a lot of different places. If you told us where they actually lived, I'm sure someone would have a cool suggestion of a place to go RIGHT THERE, rather than 30 minutes away.

I think most of the people who frequent this thread don't consider Scottsdale a "destination". I've lived in Arizona for 34 years and I've been to Scottsdale maybe 3 times.

Hell, I don't even know what all is going on out on that end of the city anymore, so maybe I'm wrong. Are there actually suburbs so far out east that someone might actually refer to it as 30 minutes to Scottsdale? Yikes! That's some frickin sprawl.

EDIT- I guess people in Fountain Hills might say that.

M Sparks
09-07-2008, 11:23 AM
OK, I googled "30 Minutes from Scottsdale" just for fun.

I found a few references to Cave Creek, Carefree and Fountain Hills. I guess those are all valid...Scottsdale is probably the closest "downtown" to them, so I bet your family lives in one of those places. It just seemed weird to us, because we would probably all drive the 35 to 40 minutes to go someplace fun, rather than stop in Scottsdale.

I found one reference to Mesa being 30 minutes from Scottsdale. True, but bizarre. In itself, Mesa is a huge city anyway, much larger than Scottsdale.. And it's right next to Tempe, which is probably more of a landmark than Scottsdale. And I'm betting it's less than 30 minutes from Phoenix. It's like explaining where Pasadina is by telling how far it is from Apple Valley.

There two references to Sky Harbor being 30 minutes from Scottsdale, but one was on a Scottsdale tourism site. That makes sense.

The other airport reference tells you everything you need to know about why people go to Scottsdale...
Vaginoplasty Journal (http://www.tsroadmap.com/physical/vaginoplasty/meltzer0603.html)

Geno_g
09-07-2008, 11:57 AM
Well shit then, I guess my new family likes going to scottsdale, that's what they said was the fun thing to do around where they live, damn man you guys just painted what AZ is gonna be like, alright guess I'm not looking forward to Arizona, nice friendly response...

M Sparks
09-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Well shit then, I guess my new family likes going to scottsdale, that's what they said was the fun thing to do around where they live, damn man you guys just painted what AZ is gonna be like, alright guess I'm not looking forward to Arizona, nice friendly response...

No, we just don't like Scottsdale. It was just weird, that's all. Nothing personal. Ironically, Scottsdale probably has the least friendly people.

As someone who is in Phoenix 6-12 times a year but doesn't live there...if you're on the younger side, go to downtown Tempe and hang out. If you're a little older (or sports obsessed), go to downtown Phoenix. There's also a quintillion places to see live music (but only a few of them are in Scottsdale.) Check out http://luckymanonline.com...they promote the majority of shows, or just check Pollstar. Get a copy of NewTimes when you arrive and you'll find something fun.

I don't know the club scene anymore, I'm sure someone will come along with a good suggestion. What kind of clubs do you like?

denies the day
09-07-2008, 04:02 PM
http://www.scottsdale-sucks.com/blog/

M Sparks
09-07-2008, 04:07 PM
http://www.scottsdale-sucks.com/blog/

http://scotts.s3.amazonaws.com/sdaleguy.jpghttp://scotts.s3.amazonaws.com/3dbags290.jpg

TomAz
09-07-2008, 06:21 PM
EDIT- I guess people in Fountain Hills might say that.

I live in Fountain Hills. It's 10 minutes from scottsdale.

M Sparks
09-07-2008, 07:00 PM
I live in Fountain Hills. It's 10 minutes from scottsdale.

Ahh, well, there goes that theory. I've never been. I thought it was further out than Cave Creek.

I'm looking at a map right now. Cave Creek is the only thing that makes sense to say is "30 minutes from Scottsdale" Everything else is either closer to Scottsdale or has something more interesting in between.

Geno_g
09-07-2008, 10:29 PM
They are from Superstition Mountain, AZ, is there anything cool to do around their, I just didn't know that Scottsdale was so looked down upon, there are parts of towns I don't like but I don't rule out the whole city, to be like the bad parts...

TomAz
09-08-2008, 08:05 AM
there is no town called "Superstition Mountain".
do you mean Apache Junction?

bug on your lip
09-08-2008, 08:08 AM
he was talkin in Mexican tom

downingthief
09-08-2008, 08:26 AM

As somone who LIVES in Scottsdale, I need to speak up...now, some of the reports are accurate. Lots of fake people, etc. BUT, there are plenty of places that you can go to that are not the hang out for the "beautiful people" (or at least...get there early enough before they make their entrances).

Some of my favorite eats:

Kyoto for sushi/teppan
Tandoori Times for Indian
El Molino Mexican Cafe (best overall Mexican I have had)

bug on your lip
09-08-2008, 08:29 AM
fake in the right places is ok wit me

M Sparks
09-08-2008, 08:36 AM
As somone who LIVES in Scottsdale, I need to speak up...now, some of the reports are accurate. Lots of fake people, etc. BUT, there are plenty of places that you can go to that are not the hang out for the "beautiful people" (or at least...get there early enough before they make their entrances).

Some my favorite eats:

Kyoto for sushi/teppan
Tandoori Times for Indian

Yes, but- aside from El Molino- would you drive 30 minutes to get there? Potentially passing other excellent Shushi, Teppan or Indian restaurants?

Here, I'll stop bashing Scottsdale- which I really don't have much experience with- and bash Mesa. If I was visiting Apache Junction and was given the choice of going to downtown Scottsdale or driving through the endless blandness of Mesa, I guess I'd pick Scottsdale.

downingthief
09-08-2008, 09:14 AM
Yes, but- aside from El Molino- would you drive 30 minutes to get there? Potentially passing other excellent Shushi, Teppan or Indian restaurants?

Here, I'll stop bashing Scottsdale- which I really don't have much experience with- and bash Mesa. If I was visiting Apache Junction and was given the choice of going to downtown Scottsdale or driving through the endless blandness of Mesa, I guess I'd pick Scottsdale.

That was just restaurants, of course. I still think Kazimierz is the best wine bar in town. And, I do enjoy going to Mickey's Hangover from time to time. Probably the least "Scottsdale-esque" bar in old town (other than Coach House, as Jen noted). Papago Brewery is a great beer spot, as is British Open Pub. Plenty of good places in Scottsdale, if you know where to look. :)

Unfotunately, douchery is all around us. It cannot be avoided completely. I for one enjoy mocking it in Scottsdale. The Mrs and I always get a good chuckle at how hard some people try to get noticed. :p

locachica73
09-08-2008, 09:29 AM
I love British Open Pub, great food and good beer. Maloney's in Scottsdale use to be fun but they recently changed the name and I haven't been there for awhile. Salty Senioritas is good for happy hour, when it isn't 108 degrees outside. By November it should be the right time to sit out on their patio and people watch.

Also Cave Creek has some good bars. I like going to Cocomo Joes, again great food and they have live music on the weekends, usually cover bands. There is a cover band that I follow named Nineball and they play up there occasionally. They play stinkfist and sober by tool and the lead singer pulls it off fabulously, oh and some Pantera. Fun.

TomAz
09-08-2008, 09:33 AM
If I was visiting Apache Junction and was given the choice of going to downtown Scottsdale or driving through the endless blandness of Mesa, I guess I'd pick Scottsdale.

but to get to scottsdale from AJ you'd have to drive through.... the endless blandness of mesa.

mesa is far worse than scottsdale. I mean in scottsdale you can complain about the 50 year old guys with 28 year old bottle-blonde boobjob chicks hanging on their arm. but in mesa you have the inbred pasty white mormon retards with their trailer parks and 1998 chevy malibus. at least there's eye candy in scottsdale.

locachica73
09-08-2008, 09:35 AM
but to get to scottsdale from AJ you'd have to drive through.... the endless blandness of mesa.

mesa is far worse than scottsdale. I mean in scottsdale you can complain about the 50 year old guys with 28 year old bottle-blonde boobjob chicks hanging on their arm. but in mesa you have the inbred pasty white mormon retards with their trailer parks and 1998 chevy malibus. at least there's eye candy in scottsdale.

And the ones who aren't pasty white mormons are swingers, at least on the cul de sac I use to live on. Glad I moved.

TomAz
09-08-2008, 09:37 AM
I guess when a person retires from stripclub work it's hard to find fun things to do in the cul de sac.

Geno_g
09-08-2008, 10:33 AM
there is no town called "Superstition Mountain".
do you mean Apache Junction?

I guess Apache Junction then, but on google or yahoo, they also go by the name Superstition Mountain, hey if girls are fake in the right place

locachica73
09-08-2008, 10:37 AM
ahhhh appache junction, the home of tattoo parlors, bad strip clubs and trailer parks. There is a bar out that way called R & R Sticks, the bartender works in a thong and bra, and it isn't a strip club, that is just her normal attire. Not sure how sanitary that is but hey, she works for tips.

Geno_g
09-08-2008, 11:00 AM
If I was visiting Apache Junction and was given the choice of going to downtown Scottsdale or driving through the endless blandness of Mesa, I guess I'd pick Scottsdale.

I'm glad that some of you agree with my family with cool thing to do around that area is Scottsdale, I live in California, and I deal with fake people every day, I can get past that...

TomAz
09-08-2008, 11:02 AM
yeah don't let the fakes bother you. there's lots of fun to be had in scottsdale. best restaurants in the whole area.

M Sparks
09-08-2008, 01:09 PM

I'll stop talking about Phoenix geography as I obviously don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

I know Phoenix, Tempe, and anything you have to pass through on the way from Flagstaff and to Tucson. I can't remember the last time I was east of the 101 that didn't involve being on a plane.

amyzzz
09-08-2008, 01:23 PM
I live in east Mesa, near Superstition Spring Mall. If you want to know good places to eat around here, I'd recommend Rancho de Tia Rosa's for Mexican food (on McKellips, east of Lindsay, west of Val Vista). Most every other place I go to is part of a chain. Lots of chains out here and none to tie me up with.

TomAz
09-08-2008, 01:25 PM
Lots of chains out here and none to tie me up with.

what does Jacob use then?

amyzzz
09-08-2008, 01:26 PM
Magic underwear?

locachica73
09-08-2008, 01:29 PM
Uncle Bears out in Mesa is a good sports bar, good food, very cold beer and great bartenders. There is one on Ellsworth and Baseline and another down on like Mesa Drive and ummm Elliott I think. Somewhere in that area. And if you like italian Tutti Santis on Dobson and Baseline is really good.

chairmenmeow47
09-08-2008, 01:42 PM
my ex was from AJ. i remember the first time he met my parents and he said where he was from. my mom could only think of raising arizona and asked if he was raised in a trailor, lol.

and i saw sean at taco bell today... err, sean saw me actually :)

downingthief
09-08-2008, 01:54 PM
my ex was from AJ. i remember the first time he met my parents and he said where he was from. my mom could only think of raising arizona and asked if he was raised in a trailor, lol.

and i saw sean at taco bell today... err, sean saw me actually :)

I did. Ivy looks very cute today. You should all be jealous of me. :)

bug on your lip
09-08-2008, 01:59 PM
coughstalkercough

downingthief
09-08-2008, 02:06 PM
coughstalkercough

I follow in your bold footsteps, Bug.

bug on your lip
09-08-2008, 02:18 PM
no one ever sees me tho

thats how goodz i iz

chairmenmeow47
09-08-2008, 02:29 PM
I did. Ivy looks very cute today. You should all be jealous of me. :)

awww, thanks sean! size 4 dress, HOLLA! :)

bug on your lip
09-08-2008, 02:31 PM
ivy

i think you should have stayed with the pink underwear this morning

faxman75
09-08-2008, 03:52 PM
This thread is getting all creepy.

LooseAtTheZoo
09-08-2008, 04:30 PM
Some of my favorite eats:

Hopefully this is only referring to your favorite eats in Scottsdale, because Los Reyes de las Tortas is far superior to Molino

amyzzz
09-08-2008, 04:43 PM
I like La Pinata in Phoenix, 19th Ave and Osborn, but I've said this before. I don't care if it's in the ghetto; it's fuckin awesome.

locachica73
09-08-2008, 04:53 PM
Valle Luna is pretty good to. There is one on Cave Creek and Greenway and then another somewhere on the west side.

mountmccabe
09-08-2008, 05:25 PM
Of the places mentioned I have been to Valle Luna; it has been OK. Beyond that I need to try some new places.

Also my preference for Mexican food usually runs the hole in the wall variety; I know I have mentioned El Norteno and Carolina's and Asadero's (for Phoenix; though admittedly the latter two are less hole in the wall than the others on this list) and Birrieria Guadalajara and Taqueria Pico De Gallo (for Tucson) before. They all rule.

The best higher end Mexican food I have had recently was at Aunt Chilada's (http://www.auntchiladas.com/), near Glendale Ave and 16th St. That was fantastic.

amyzzz
09-08-2008, 05:32 PM
La Pinata's is kind of hole-in-the-wall-ish, but family-style. It's a sit down restaurant but not super expensive (not cheap either).

LooseAtTheZoo
09-08-2008, 07:11 PM
Have none of you truly ever been to the torta king? I'm amazed.

I go there sometimes with groups of 15-20 friends, we end up with more food than we can all eat, great quality (and real Mexico City food, nothing slathered in sour cream and cheese and guacamole) all for about 6 bucks a person. Fantastic drinks as well.

7th street and hatcher, in the barrio

locachica73
09-08-2008, 07:14 PM
Just down the road from me I may have to give it a try.

Mr. Dylanja
09-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Have none of you truly ever been to the torta king? I'm amazed.

I go there sometimes with groups of 15-20 friends, we end up with more food than we can all eat, great quality (and real Mexico City food, nothing slathered in sour cream and cheese and guacamole) all for about 6 bucks a person. Fantastic drinks as well.

7th street and hatcher, in the barrio

I drive thru that intersection every single day, I'll keep an eye tomorrow...

PC-2 Violence
09-08-2008, 10:11 PM
I'll stop talking about Phoenix geography as I obviously don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

I know Phoenix, Tempe, and anything you have to pass through on the way from Flagstaff and to Tucson. I can't remember the last time I was east of the 101 that didn't involve being on a plane.

I cannot remember the last time I left my house, since I moved from Scottsdale, that I have not had to kill at least 6 beggars on my way to anywhere past my driveway.

downingthief
09-09-2008, 08:58 AM
Hopefully this is only referring to your favorite eats in Scottsdale, because Los Reyes de las Tortas is far superior to Molino

Haven't tried it yet, but I am always game to try new Mexican places. Thanks for the tip!

And, there are plenty of other places that are good for Mexican. I give El Molino my best overall (that I have tried) because I have yet to have anything on the menu that was not very good to excellent. There are other places that may have better individual dishes. Like, Rito's for example. If none of you have had the pleasure of trying Ritos' green chile sauce, then you need to go try it. Now. Ahora. I'll wait... :)

Also, the Mex burrito from Carolina's (where they mix the beans with the machaca) is absolutely delicious.

Damn...I'm hungry now.

locachica73
09-09-2008, 09:07 AM
If your ever up on 23rd Ave just north of the 101 there is a little mexican joint up there, can't think of the name, but they make great chiliquilis and juevos rancheros. My company built the building next door and that use to be the project I was on so we use to get discounted food there all the time. Oh and their carnitas burrito is very good too, I usually don't order carnitas anywhere cuz it usually has too much fat left on the pork but theres is very tender and hardly any fat. OK now I am hungry too. damnit.

Mr. Dylanja
09-09-2008, 11:04 AM
zzz's what is your favorite Massive Attack album?

chairmenmeow47
09-09-2008, 11:17 AM
i'll be celebrating my roommate's birthday here tonight! no cover, so come out if you're bored and looking for some yummy breaks and dnb. great local lineup, if i do say so myself :)

http://ivy.aholic.us/gallery/d/669190-2/untitled.JPG?g2_GALLERYSID=18b9baa9c92123a94fc09b4 807ce6c38

HOLLA!

downingthief
09-09-2008, 12:53 PM
After all the Mexican food talk, went to Rito's. Had their Taco (which they only serve on special days), and the green burro, enchilada style witht he green sauce. Sooooooooooooooooooooo good. Hello food coma!

Also, I auditioned yesterday at US airways center to sing the national anthem before a Suns game. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

faxman75
09-09-2008, 01:31 PM
Where did MSparks go? Anyway, I think i'm going to drive to Flag tomorrow night for Cracker/Camper. I guess i'll shoot him an e-mail as he sent me one.

downingthief
09-09-2008, 01:32 PM
Take the Skinheads Bowling, Take them Bowling...

TomAz
09-09-2008, 01:35 PM
But you don't know anything 'til you're 51-7
51-7 51-7 51-7 51-7

chairmenmeow47
09-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Take the Skinheads Bowling, Take them Bowling...

whoaaaaa, memories. and good luck with the audition :)

earthdance is this weekend. and not being thrown by george so i'm actually going to go! the phunk junkeez are headlining if you can believe it. more info here (http://www.earthdance.org/phoenix/).

downingthief
09-09-2008, 01:52 PM
whoaaaaa, memories. and good luck with the audition :)

earthdance is this weekend. and not being thrown by george so i'm actually going to go! the phunk junkeez are headlining if you can believe it. more info here (http://www.earthdance.org/phoenix/).

Ahhhh...memories for me! First band I was in, we took over the PJ's practice space after they got signed. We kept their logo up on the wall for "inspiration". :p

chairmenmeow47
09-09-2008, 01:56 PM
We kept their logo up on the wall for "inspiration". :p

HA HA HA HA HA HA, oh man, i needed that. i'm so sick of people falling over themselves about the effing phunk junkeez being at earthdance. they sucked ten years ago and they suck now.

but you're still 1-2-3-4 times a lady, sean :p

TomAz
09-09-2008, 01:59 PM
I didn't even know the phunk junkeez even existed any more.

faxman75
09-09-2008, 02:03 PM
Scottsdale Brat? I saw them open for Matthew Sweet 11 or so years ago at "The Taste of Arizona". A fairly pathetic fest held in the parking lot of the football stadium before there even was a fake lake.

faxman75
09-09-2008, 02:03 PM
Scottsdale Brat? I saw them open for Matthew Sweet 11 or so years ago at "The Taste of Arizona". A fairly pathetic fest held in the parking lot of the football stadium before there even was a fake lake.

M Sparks
09-09-2008, 02:41 PM
Where did MSparks go? Anyway, I think i'm going to drive to Flag tomorrow night for Cracker/Camper. I guess i'll shoot him an e-mail as he sent me one.

Sorry, occasionally my clients actually ask me to do work in order to get paid, leaving me unable to post temporarily.

I gotta call my friend again who originally had the idea to go, but I'm pretty sure I'll be there no matter what. I'm not that into them, but I have seen Cracker before and it was a good time.

faxman75
09-09-2008, 03:36 PM
Well, apparently I have plenty of time to post here but zero time to check my email and respond there. Anyway, I'll shoot you a pm with my number. I imagine we won't get up there til' 8 or something.

chairmenmeow47
09-09-2008, 04:02 PM
wasn't "scottsdale brat" chronic future? something like that? i'll take "crappy local phoenix bands for $1000, alex"

M Sparks
09-09-2008, 06:46 PM
Ha, Chronic Future.

I had free tickets to a show 7 or 8 years ago that was mind boggling. Short Bus, N-17, and Phunk Junkees. N-17 attracts aggressive headbangers, P.J. attracts drunk fratboys, and Short Bus was a jazz-jam band. The potential for disaster was huge, but it was just kind of boring.

Anybody remember the Phoenix industrial/goth-ish "scene" such as it was? Let's see, besides N-17 there was Spirits In Sin, Mind Side Out, The Difference Engine (awful), Christus Christus (or something like that), Godless...good times. Now there's just The Strand.

Mr. Dylanja
09-09-2008, 07:02 PM
How about Blessed Be Thy Name, anyone? For $200...

I've been to an N-17 show, grrrrrrrrr!!

M Sparks
09-09-2008, 07:21 PM
N-17 is still around, and don't they have a country side project? Hogjaw or something like that?

BBTN sounds vaguely familar.

happypappy420
09-09-2008, 10:16 PM
remember S.I.L. anyone? Satanic Industries Limited. They were big in the metal scene here in phx.

locachica73
09-10-2008, 02:29 AM
It is 230 am, I can't sleep, so I am laying here with my a/c on, ceiling fan going and I am watching tv trying to fall asleep and the news channel has some woman on there showing people how to tie scarves. We live in the desert, its hotter then hell and they are teaching people to tie scarves? I thought daytime tv was bad, 2 am tv is much much worse.

TomAz
09-10-2008, 07:46 AM
http://cover6.cduniverse.com/CDUCoverArt/Music/70/1206270.jpg

BROKENDOLL
09-10-2008, 08:27 AM
OK, I googled "30 Minutes from Scottsdale" just for fun.

I found a few references to Cave Creek, Carefree and Fountain Hills. I guess those are all valid...Scottsdale is probably the closest "downtown" to them, so I bet your family lives in one of those places. It just seemed weird to us, because we would probably all drive the 35 to 40 minutes to go someplace fun, rather than stop in Scottsdale.

I found one reference to Mesa being 30 minutes from Scottsdale. True, but bizarre. In itself, Mesa is a huge city anyway, much larger than Scottsdale.. And it's right next to Tempe, which is probably more of a landmark than Scottsdale. And I'm betting it's less than 30 minutes from Phoenix. It's like explaining where Pasadina is by telling how far it is from Apple Valley.

There two references to Sky Harbor being 30 minutes from Scottsdale, but one was on a Scottsdale tourism site. That makes sense.

The other airport reference tells you everything you need to know about why people go to Scottsdale...
Vaginoplasty Journal (http://www.tsroadmap.com/physical/vaginoplasty/meltzer0603.html) I just got lost reading this post. Where the fuck am I?

BROKENDOLL
09-10-2008, 08:33 AM

mesa is far worse than scottsdale. I mean in scottsdale you can complain about the 50 year old guys with 28 year old bottle-blonde boobjob chicks hanging on their arm. but in mesa you have the inbred pasty white mormon retards with their trailer parks and 1998 chevy malibus. at least there's eye candy in scottsdale. TomAz, I wanna hear you say, "bottle-blond boob job chick" 5 times, real fast.

BROKENDOLL
09-10-2008, 08:38 AM
no one ever sees me tho

thats how goodz i iz You probably don't cough when you stalk.

amyzzz
09-10-2008, 10:16 AM
zzz's what is your favorite Massive Attack album?
Random! Mezzanine is probably the best, 100th Window second.

M Sparks
09-10-2008, 10:17 AM
I just got lost reading this post. Where the fuck am I?

30 drinks from Coherance.

(Why do I do that? She's nothing but nice to me!)

chairmenmeow47
09-10-2008, 11:18 AM
dude, did you guys know there's an amtrak station in maricopa (http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/am2Station/Station_Page&code=MRC)?! some girl at my work told me. granted, it's a bit far, but $38 one-way to LA ain't bad! i wonder how long this has been there?! i wish i'd known sooner :(

locachica73
09-10-2008, 11:23 AM
dude, did you guys know there's an amtrak station in maricopa (http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/am2Station/Station_Page&code=MRC)?! some girl at my work told me. granted, it's a bit far, but $38 one-way to LA ain't bad! i wonder how long this has been there?! i wish i'd known sooner :(

Do you know how long the trip is? My friend and I fell in love with Venice while we were there and are wanting to go back, but the 5 hour drive is a pain in the ass, not going but coming back. But right now flying is way too expensive, even to LA.

amyzzz
09-10-2008, 11:30 AM
Can you take a bus to Maricopa, or do you leave your car there? This needs to be investigated further. ;)

faxman75
09-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Phoenix - Metro Center Transit Station, AZ (PXN)

9617 North Metro Parkway West
North Phoenix
Phoenix, AZ 85023

This is a stop for Amtrak Thruway connecting bus service. Additional Amtrak Thruway connecting bus service is available at the Phoenix Greyhound station (PHG) and Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport stop (PHA).

amyzzz
09-10-2008, 11:41 AM
Bah, those don't work for me. I used to live near Metrocenter.

locachica73
09-10-2008, 11:43 AM
yeah, i am not sure I would feel good about leaving my car in Maricopa, but if I got a ride down there it might not be a bad idea. Can you drink on amtrack? I have never been on a train before, I tend to get car sick if riding in the back seat (which is why i always drive) but never air sick, I wonder if I would get train sick. ugh

faxman75
09-10-2008, 11:45 AM
Tucson, AZ (TUS)

Maricopa, AZ (MRC)

Yuma, AZ (YUM)

North Palm Springs, CA (PSN)

Ontario, CA (ONA)

Pomona, CA (POS)

Los Angeles, CA (LAX)

those are the stops along the way....

From what I can tell it's 8.5 hours and $120. That's for the dates selected of amtraking from maricopa on Friday and coming back on Sunday.

faxman75
09-10-2008, 11:46 AM
I think driving and flying ar both cheaper and faster. Flying may cost $20-$30 more though if you can't find a good special.

locachica73
09-10-2008, 11:46 AM
8.5 hours... ok nevermind, id rather drive. At least then I can stop in Palm Springs for the best bloody mary ever.

locachica73
09-10-2008, 11:47 AM
I think driving and flying ar both cheaper and faster. Flying may cost $20-$30 more though if you can't find a good special.

Yeah but if you compare the $20 - $30 to the 7.5 hours you save there is no comparison. You would think a train would be faster then a car. Guess not.

chairmenmeow47
09-10-2008, 11:58 AM
the fares i saw were $38 each way, not including tax, so $76 roundtrip. a plane ticket is going to be at least $200. the drive is 6 hours, versus 8.5 hours on amtrak. i can't take my car out of state, so any driving i do is by rental car or with other people. this is better if you're traveling alone, i think.

sure, it's a little longer, but if i'm not driving and can sleep the whole way, who cares? and you're not on a bus so that's a plus too. so for me, amtrak is a good option. i'm not saying it's my new mode of transportation, but it's nice to know the option is out there. not to mention possible to travel to other cities. and you can upgrade to sleeper cars too. i just thought it was cool that this was there and i'd never heard of it.

amyzzz
09-10-2008, 12:07 PM
We really need a bullet train.

locachica73
09-10-2008, 12:11 PM
the fares i saw were $38 each way, not including tax, so $76 roundtrip. a plane ticket is going to be at least $200. the drive is 6 hours, versus 8.5 hours on amtrak. i can't take my car out of state, so any driving i do is by rental car or with other people. this is better if you're traveling alone, i think.

sure, it's a little longer, but if i'm not driving and can sleep the whole way, who cares? and you're not on a bus so that's a plus too. so for me, amtrak is a good option. i'm not saying it's my new mode of transportation, but it's nice to know the option is out there. not to mention possible to travel to other cities. and you can upgrade to sleeper cars too. i just thought it was cool that this was there and i'd never heard of it.

Very true, we went last time by car and driving there was a blast but coming back sunday night was such a pain, no one wanted to drive because we were all hungover/still drunk and tired. I just like the idea of getting there in an hour as apposed to 6-8 hours. And Southwest has low fares usualy for $69 one way so round trip runs around $150 with tax and all. The trip cost me $200 in gas to drive but that was for 3 people so that works out well.

faxman75
09-10-2008, 12:12 PM
I can't believe what it costs to fly to L.A. these days. When I first moved out here I never paid over $110 and that included taxes and fees.

Where did you see the $36 each way fares? I agree it might be worth it if it's that much cheaper. That's about the cost of gas and then like you say you can sleep.

chairmenmeow47
09-10-2008, 12:14 PM
if you buy your plane ticket in advance you can get some of those cheaper fares. but sometimes you can't do that, and in general i tend to see that the price ends up more in the $200 range than $150. i would always prefer to fly, but for when that's not an option, i just thought i'd throw this out there. i wonder how long this station's been around?! there are so many trips i could have taken had i known :(

the site had a little add that said "maricopa to LA, $38". i also typed in the dates for friday, october 3rd and sunday, october 5th. there are two different "lines", one from chicago and one from texas. the one from chicago was like $78 each way whereas the one from texas is only $38 each way.

also, you can take this to LA and then take that to vegas... that's how the girl at work found out. she was trying to find a direct train to vegas, but no dice. that would be SUPER awesome.

locachica73
09-10-2008, 12:23 PM
One of the great things about living in Phoenix you can always find a shuttle to Vegas, alot of times you can find the party shuttles too which is cool. Still a 5 hour trip but with booze.

faxman75
09-10-2008, 01:39 PM
Any links to any party shuttles to Vegas? Any ideas when the hoover dam bypass will open?

locachica73
09-10-2008, 01:55 PM
I have never done it but have heard of people getting a group together and taking a coach party bus, now I don't know if that is a group rate that they do to shuttle the tour or not. I usually fly or drive just because I do like to have my own car available if I want to run.

downingthief
09-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Hi, Honey. How was your Porn class today? (http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2008/09/10/20080910sr-arcadia0911.html)

What an idiot...

amyzzz
09-10-2008, 03:26 PM
Now that's sex education.

M Sparks
09-10-2008, 03:29 PM
I've taken the train from Flagstaff to LA. It takes forever, but it's not bad because it's overnight. You pull out of Flagstaff at 10pm, go to sleep, wake up somewhere between Barstow and LA.

M Sparks
09-10-2008, 03:33 PM
Hi, Honey. How was your Porn class today? (http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2008/09/10/20080910sr-arcadia0911.html)

What an idiot...

How is that even possible.

Although, reading it again...it was a photography class. I bet it wasn't porn at all, just some nudes. Poor guy probably just opened the wrong portfolio or stuck something in the wrong file, and was trying to show a slideshow of nature shots or something. I hate when they don't tell the whole story...which is pretty much always.

locachica73
09-10-2008, 03:36 PM
We had a jewish teacher show us a slide show of his trip to israel, the school fired him for preaching religion, he was just showing us some slides. So I nothing would surprise me.

amyzzz
09-10-2008, 03:37 PM
I've taken the train from Flagstaff to LA. It takes forever, but it's not bad because it's overnight. You pull out of Flagstaff at 10pm, go to sleep, wake up somewhere between Barstow and LA.
Whoa. This could be helpful. My parents live in Sedona (somewhat near Flagstaff), and sometimes I drop the kids off in Sedona so Jacob and I can go galivanting around somewhere. Taking the train could be cool. Prices?

M Sparks
09-10-2008, 03:38 PM
Any ideas when the hoover dam bypass will open?

That thing scares the crap out of me. I can't even look at it.

I wonder how much time it will actually save. Lately, I've been going through Laughlin and it only takes 5 or 10 minutes longer than it does to get over the dam.

M Sparks
09-10-2008, 03:45 PM
Whoa. This could be helpful. My parents live in Sedona (somewhat near Flagstaff), and sometimes I drop the kids off in Sedona so Jacob and I can go galivanting around somewhere. Taking the train could be cool. Prices?

I don't know. I took it all the way to Portland, and it was all one price. I'm sure you could get a price at amtrak.com.

The route up and down the coast was a nightmare, because apparently Amtrak doesn't have a good relationship with Union Pacific. We actually ran about 11 hours late at one point. But the Flagstaff- LA section is on BNSF tracks and it ran right on time pretty much. In fact, when we left Flagstaff, it was about an hour late, but it actually got into LA early. They just go screaming through the desert- you wake up around 3am and it looks like you're doing 100mph.

Coming back, you leave LA in the early evening and get into Flagstaff around 6am.

faxman75
09-10-2008, 03:48 PM
I spent about 4 minutes trying to figure out when it would be completed and don't really have an answer. I did find out it was named after Pat Tillman and some other guy. Wikipidia says sometime in 2009 it will be done, the bypass website has a graph with certain levels of completion and the everything should be done sometime in 2010.

faxman75
09-10-2008, 03:50 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f0/Hooverdambypass.jpg/250px-Hooverdambypass.jpg

they say 09/2009 completed.

M Sparks
09-10-2008, 03:53 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f0/Hooverdambypass.jpg/250px-Hooverdambypass.jpg

It doesn't look as bad from that angle. From underneath, it seems like madness.

locachica73
09-10-2008, 03:55 PM
No way in hell, I hate bridges. I usually just go up 17 to flag then take 40 over anyway, or I cut through prescott, more miles but usually the same amount of time since you avoid the narrow two lane crap through the desert that always involves construction or 10 car pile up.

westcoastpirate
09-10-2008, 04:13 PM
I know I'm late jumping in, but Phoenix represent! Highland Homies!

Random, but Phoenix is cool. Will I see any of you at Hot Chip in Tucson??!!

faxman75
09-10-2008, 04:17 PM
Highland homies? What is that? Does that mean you went to highland high school or some shit?

Anyway, welcome.

westcoastpirate
09-10-2008, 04:30 PM
Highland homies? What is that? Does that mean you went to highland high school or some shit?

Anyway, welcome.

Actually went to St. Mary's, but that was about 12 years ago. Watch your back if you're on Highland near the Biltmore. The Homies don't like people who wear bandanas and talk self-photos in the mirror.

sikiboy
09-10-2008, 04:39 PM

Random, but Phoenix is cool. Will I see any of you at Hot Chip in Tucson??!!

I'll be in Tucson at Hot Chip... can't wait...

chairmenmeow47
09-10-2008, 04:41 PM
now i want st. mary's tortillas, lol.

and that bypass was supposed to be done like 4 years ago. i'll believe it when i see it.

M Sparks
09-10-2008, 04:44 PM
No way in hell, I hate bridges. I usually just go up 17 to flag then take 40 over anyway

It doesn't matter whether you go to Flagstaff or not. 40 doesn't go to Vegas. This bridge will be the shortest road from 40 TO Vegas. When you get off 40 in Kingman, this is the road you take.

The other direct option is to take 40 into California, and take 95, which runs up to Railroad Pass, but it's quite a bit longer. However, if you take the road from Kingman to Laughlin, you can cut over to 95 and it's not much longer than going over the dam. That's how I've been going since 9/11, when they tightened security at the dam.

faxman75
09-10-2008, 04:46 PM
Actually went to St. Mary's, but that was about 12 years ago. Watch your back if you're on Highland near the Biltmore. The Homies don't like people who wear bandanas and talk self-photos in the mirror.

How does one wear a talk self-photo in the mirror?

Mr. Dylanja
09-10-2008, 05:08 PM
Fax- how much was your room at the Luxor?

locachica73
09-10-2008, 08:14 PM
It doesn't matter whether you go to Flagstaff or not. 40 doesn't go to Vegas. This bridge will be the shortest road from 40 TO Vegas. When you get off 40 in Kingman, this is the road you take.

The other direct option is to take 40 into California, and take 95, which runs up to Railroad Pass, but it's quite a bit longer. However, if you take the road from Kingman to Laughlin, you can cut over to 95 and it's not much longer than going over the dam. That's how I've been going since 9/11, when they tightened security at the dam.

That is what I do then when I drive up there because I haven't been over the hoover damn in years, but its been awhile since I have driven to vegas, the last few times I have gone we flew. The Thursday or Friday afternoon Southwest flights to Vegas are the best flights. The flight attendents are always fun and the drinks are flowing.

westcoastpirate
09-10-2008, 09:18 PM
I'll be in Tucson at Hot Chip... can't wait...

I'll have to sit through the crap they call Vampire Weekend to see Hot Chip.

Or I guess I can go late and just see Hot Chip.

westcoastpirate
09-10-2008, 09:19 PM
How does one wear a talk self-photo in the mirror?

Wow you must take a lot of percoset. All good, I'll be at Sigur Ros also.

LooseAtTheZoo
09-10-2008, 09:42 PM
West coast pirate - St. Marys, eh? Apparently we're rivals then on principle.

M Sparks
09-11-2008, 08:17 AM

Watch your back if you're on Highland near the Biltmore.

http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/marc242/homies.jpg

BROKENDOLL
09-11-2008, 09:45 AM

West coast pirate - St. Marys, eh? Apparently we're rivals then on principle. Well, isn't this special? A gangbang!

BROKENDOLL
09-11-2008, 09:49 AM
30 drinks from Coherance.

(Why do I do that? She's nothing but nice to me!) M Sparks, you big silly...at 8:30 am I was coherent, dammit! You missed the level 30 later that day.....(For some odd reason, I'm thinking, "What a retarded post Brokendoll.")

faxman75
09-11-2008, 10:18 AM
Fax- how much was your room at the Luxor?

$85 a night but if you are looking for cheaper there is a hostel on the trip that I posted a link too in the NIN thread. $20 a night for a bed or $45 a night for a private room. Can't beat that.

faxman75
09-11-2008, 10:19 AM
Wow you must take a lot of percoset. All good, I'll be at Sigur Ros also.

I don't follow. What the hell are you talking about? At least you have decent taste in music. ha.

captncrzy
09-11-2008, 11:56 AM
. $20 a night for a bed or $45 a night for a private room. Can't beat that.

No, but you can catch the AIDS

amyzzz
09-11-2008, 11:58 AM
Bring Lysol.

downingthief
09-11-2008, 01:00 PM
And a body condom.

Mr. Dylanja
09-11-2008, 01:04 PM
LOL, I will be Bubble Boy...

westcoastpirate
09-11-2008, 04:00 PM
http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/marc242/homies.jpg

When did they let your mom out of jail M Sparks?

westcoastpirate
09-11-2008, 04:23 PM
That was pretty funny though, good pic.

M Sparks
09-11-2008, 04:32 PM

I take the trouble to find a picture of the Biltmore... track down SAD GIRL'S PICTURE (which was like 143 pages back on the picture thread)...knock out a pretty damn realistic alpha channel in Photoshop...adjust the scale for realism...open a new Photobucket account (I normally use myspace to host, but you don't wanna fuck with SAD GIRL)...all before 9am. And the best you can do is "when did they let your mom out of jail?" I mean, at least it's a coherent, complete sentence, so that's a step up for you from nonsensical references to pain medications and imaginary street gangs. But c'mon. I went all out on this one.

(And no love from Capntcrzy...C'mon, it's a SAD GIRL joke!)

amyzzz
09-11-2008, 04:34 PM
Sometimes jokes just kinda fall flat. I appreciate the effort though. I couldn't do that.

M Sparks
09-11-2008, 04:35 PM
That was pretty funny though, good pic.

Oh sure, now you make nice and I look like an asshole. :D

Mr. Dylanja
09-11-2008, 04:54 PM
Which one of you went to Xavier?

LooseAtTheZoo
09-11-2008, 07:42 PM
Being a male, I did not go to Xavier.

Side note - Have you noticed how the light rail is still looking like shit, but all of the landscaping at the stations looks so good and trim with green trees and well-placed shrubbery? Priorities...

Mr. Dylanja
09-11-2008, 07:46 PM
Being a male, I did not go to Xavier.

That was my joke, sorry you missed it...

TomAz
09-12-2008, 07:36 AM
I take the trouble to find a picture of the Biltmore... track down SAD GIRL'S PICTURE (which was like 143 pages back on the picture thread)...knock out a pretty damn realistic alpha channel in Photoshop...adjust the scale for realism...open a new Photobucket account (I normally use myspace to host, but you don't wanna fuck with SAD GIRL)...all before 9am. And the best you can do is "when did they let your mom out of jail?" I mean, at least it's a coherent, complete sentence, so that's a step up for you from nonsensical references to pain medications and imaginary street gangs. But c'mon. I went all out on this one.

sparky.. I laughed. I did. well done.

M Sparks
09-12-2008, 08:12 AM
sparky.. I laughed. I did. well done.

Well, I appreciate that. I was just annoyed that I pulled out a fricking panzer tank and got a slap from a five year old girl in return.

captncrzy
09-12-2008, 08:13 AM

Sorry, I was going to comment but I forgot yesterday. hahahahaahaa! Nice job. I wish she would get more pics up.

M Sparks
09-12-2008, 08:13 AM
That was my joke, sorry you missed it...

I figured it out and I've never even heard of Xavier.

"Huh? Must be a girl's school."

M Sparks
09-12-2008, 08:14 AM
Sorry, I was going to comment but I forgot yesterday. hahahahaahaa! Nice job. I wish she would get more pics up.

I might have to go google hunting this weekend. I'm a big Sad Girl fan.

higgybaby23
09-12-2008, 08:56 AM
Phoenix folk, come on down....

Ratatat w/ Panther, tomorrow night @ Club Congress in Tucson.

Seeya there.

westcoastpirate
09-12-2008, 09:50 AM
I'll be there

amyzzz
09-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Ratatat are kind of uninspired live. I liked them at Coachella though, just not opening for DP or Bjork.

sddoctor
09-12-2008, 11:04 AM
I want to go to the Ratatat show...still not sure though.

higgybaby23
09-12-2008, 11:30 AM
RE: RATATAT

Club Congress is saying that all 18+ tix are sold out, and there are less than 100 tix left for 21+. Get your tix before you make the trip.

amyzzz
09-12-2008, 12:09 PM
Damn, it is a Saturday night show for once.

amyzzz
09-12-2008, 12:10 PM
HEY JOHN, Kronos Quartet tonight and Sunday. I'm not going, but just a reminder.

captncrzy
09-12-2008, 12:47 PM
This is very exciting

www.churrostation.com

Mr. Dylanja
09-12-2008, 01:01 PM
This is very exciting

www.churrostation.com

I'm already in line...

westcoastpirate
09-12-2008, 02:58 PM
Is anyone going to hit up the Tour de Fat at Tempe Town Lake on Saturday October 11th? Mucca Pazza is playing, and it's free! I went last year to the one in Flagstaff and it was a lot of fun. I highly recommend attending.

locachica73
09-12-2008, 03:09 PM
That looks like alot of fun, I just looked it up online. I may have to check that out.

BROKENDOLL
09-12-2008, 03:40 PM

(And no love from Capntcrzy...C'mon, it's a SAD GIRL joke!) Since I'm in between the coherent and non-coherent stage of my day, I'll nab the opportunity to applaud you on your photoshop skills. (golf clap) Now...when did your mom start dating this pubescent chollo dude?

LooseAtTheZoo
09-13-2008, 10:29 PM
So I saw Jim Gaffigan at the Dodge tonight (funny show), but has anyone else noticed how uncomfortable the seats are? The back is set at a sort of obtuse angle so its impossible to sit up straight, but at the same time you're craning your neck to look at the stage if you're anywhere but dead center. Im looking forward to Beck but not having to go to the Dodge.

However, they played Highly Suspicious as part of the pre-show music. My anticipation for MMJ is reaching a breaking point...

PC-2 Violence
09-14-2008, 11:29 AM
That thing scares the crap out of me. I can't even look at it.

I wonder how much time it will actually save. Lately, I've been going through Laughlin and it only takes 5 or 10 minutes longer than it does to get over the dam.

Going thru Searchlight is a complete waste of time unless you are trying to get to Vegas on New Years.

M Sparks
09-14-2008, 02:22 PM
Is anyone going to hit up the Tour de Fat at Tempe Town Lake on Saturday October 11th? Mucca Pazza is playing, and it's free! I went last year to the one in Flagstaff and it was a lot of fun. I highly recommend attending.

They stopped doing the Flagstaff one. :(

It is with sincere regret that after 8 amazing years, we have decided not to bring the Tour de Fat back to Flagstaff in 2008. We never thought the day would come when our flagship show could cause such a ruckus… nor did we ever see the Tour de Fat growing into the behemoth that it has become. As more and more folks discover the TDF, sadly not all of them have come for the purpose of moving the bicycle to the forefront of transportation. Instead they have focused on pushing revelry to new heights.

As we saw in 2007, this has put all stakeholders in a potentially dangerous situation. While the core of our mission is to help, the risk of calamity has become more imminent. Since Wheeler Park is sadly no longer an option, we have lost the ability to host the show downtown. We have also lost the confidence of the City of Flagstaff to host an event that enhances the town as opposed to putting it at risk. These are the major factors in our decision not to return. Without a suitable venue, or necessary permitting, we are without promising options. Know that this course of action was not taken lightly by our crew, the Brewery, or our Distributor in AZ. The TDF is a loss all parties will miss...

Sincerely,

New Belgium Brewing and Team TDF (the now sad Clowns)

I have no clue what happened last year that was so bad, but I've heard before that the Flagstaff event always went through the most kegs of all the stops, even though it's the smallest town. And they do a after party at the Orpheum right up the street, so it's pretty much 12 straight hours of drinkin'.

M Sparks
09-14-2008, 02:29 PM
Going thru Searchlight is a complete waste of time unless you are trying to get to Vegas on New Years.

Or, you know, you have vertigo and/or a mistrust of hastily designed and funded public projects born out of fearmongering.

In comparison to going over the dam and through the security checkpoints, going through Laughlin and Searchlight is pretty much a wash timewise. Once the bridge is open, it will undoubtedly be faster. I'm willing to take the extra 15 minutes in order to avoid the personal stress of crossing that bridge.

I'm well aware that my fear is completely irrational, but at least my fear just costs me $4 extra in gas. The irrational fear that lead to the construction of that completely unnecessary bridge cost us all billions.

locachica73
09-14-2008, 02:32 PM
i thought i was the only one who was afraid of bridges.

M Sparks
09-14-2008, 02:34 PM
So I saw Jim Gaffigan at the Dodge tonight (funny show), but has anyone else noticed how uncomfortable the seats are? The back is set at a sort of obtuse angle so its impossible to sit up straight, but at the same time you're craning your neck to look at the stage if you're anywhere but dead center. Im looking forward to Beck but not having to go to the Dodge.

I hate the Dodge. Lousy seats, it's always hot, security are jerks. Sound is usually pretty good, but not enough to make up for the other hassles.

M Sparks
09-14-2008, 02:59 PM
i thought i was the only one who was afraid of bridges.

It depends on the bridge. I can drive around the San Francisco area with no problems. I'm moving to Portland, where you can't get anywhere without crossing a bridge.

This one is insanely high, which I suspect will trigger vertigo with me. Vertigo is not a fear of heights, it's a balance disorder. I have no problem flying as long as I don't look out the window on takeoff. Not really an option when you're driving. I don't know, it might be fine, I can never tell until I get there. I can get over the Sunshine Skyway OK, and that thing has had all kinds of problems, including a genuine disaster. The bypass is much higher, but the Skyway is much longer.

My main problem with it is that it was born out of the 9/11 panic, and I've yet to see anything done right that started there. You can't tell me the phrase "Well, what will it cost to do it right?" was ever uttered. The fact that there are so many different agencies involved doesn't crank up my trust level either.

locachica73
09-14-2008, 03:41 PM
I have always been afraid of bridges since I was little. I am not so much afraid of heights either, I love going on the big rides and stuff, as long as I am strapped in, but for some reason driving over a bridge freaks me out. My sister use to torture me whenever we would be on one and sing the london bridge is falling down song. As an adult I know it is a silly fear but it doesn't make it any less scary lol.

M Sparks
09-14-2008, 03:51 PM
As an adult I know it is a silly fear

It's not really that silly...

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200708/r165212_611891.jpg
http://www.sptimes.com/2007/08/02/images/tb_Skyway_450.jpg
http://weddingmarketing.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/bay-bridge-collapse.jpg

locachica73
09-14-2008, 03:55 PM
very good point. creepy pictures.

TomAz
09-14-2008, 10:40 PM
go fuck yourself. and then, go fuck yo mama.

edit: that was for a post that has since been deleted.

Geno_g
09-14-2008, 10:55 PM
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/7/77/250px-Bay_Bridge_collapse.jpeg
I remember that day clear like glass, I was in pre-school, the lights started to fall off the ceiling, my dad came to pick up my sister and I, I remember seeing the scary images, and both of my parents were freaking out. People in LA were looting, so my dad had his guns ready, weird time in my life...

westcoastpirate
09-14-2008, 11:01 PM
They stopped doing the Flagstaff one. :(

I have no clue what happened last year that was so bad, but I've heard before that the Flagstaff event always went through the most kegs of all the stops, even though it's the smallest town. And they do a after party at the Orpheum right up the street, so it's pretty much 12 straight hours of drinkin'.

The Flagstaff stop was the premier stop on the tour, according to New Belgium. I know a lot of people from the Phoenix area who went up to Flagstaff to check it out, and skipped the Tempe stop even though they live down here.

Check this (http://flagstaffbiking.org/2008/01/29/tour-de-fat-is-cancelled-for-2008/) out.

westcoastpirate
09-14-2008, 11:02 PM
Oh, and Ratatat was off the hook last night in Tucson.

Somewhat Damaged
09-14-2008, 11:29 PM

Dammit. Wish I could've made it. Did it sell out?

westcoastpirate
09-15-2008, 12:27 AM
Dammit. Wish I could've made it. Did it sell out?

Yes it was sold out. I'm not really familiar with the venues in Tucson, but they should have played somewhere bigger. They could have easily sold a lot more tickets. There were kids asking if anyone had extra tickets 4 hours before the doors opened.

Somewhat Damaged
09-15-2008, 09:24 AM
Only other real option would've been across the street at the Rialto, which is where they'll play the next time they come through town. (I saw Of Montreal at Congress 3 years ago, and when they returned in 2007, they played at the Rialto.) Nobody really plays the Tucson Convention Center anymore; last show there that I can recall was Bob Dylan in 2006. (Tool probably played there as well on that last tour of theirs, but I didn't have any interest in attending so I can't say for sure.) Then there's the AVA Amphitheatre, which is where Stone Temple Pilots and bands of their ilk play. Well, them and Tejano and other Spanish-language acts. And Carlos Mencia.

amyzzz
09-15-2008, 10:11 AM
I hate the Dodge. Lousy seats, it's always hot, security are jerks. Sound is usually pretty good, but not enough to make up for the other hassles.
I've never had any problems with shows at the Dodge, although I can only remember going to 4 shows there: Coldplay, Dave Gahan, The White Stripes, and Snow Patrol.

downingthief
09-15-2008, 12:07 PM
I've never had any problems with shows at the Dodge, although I can only remember going to 4 shows there: Coldplay, Dave Gahan, The White Stripes, and Snow Patrol.

How was Dave Gahan?

amyzzz
09-15-2008, 12:38 PM
Pretty good. I think Jen went too before we knew each other. They did some DM covers at the end (and maybe throughout, can't remember), but they sounded more like covers with Dave singing lead than DM. I remember Kenna opening was really good, although I haven't really followed up on his stuff at all. This was probably 3 years ago or more.

TomAz
09-15-2008, 12:39 PM
I really dislike the Dodge. it's too sterile or something. I've never seen a show there that knocked me out. even the white stripes were boring in there (and they were fabulous the year before outdoors in mesa)

chairmenmeow47
09-15-2008, 12:39 PM
I really dislike the Dodge. it's too sterile or something. I've never seen a show there that knocked me out. even the white stripes were boring in there (and they were fabulous the year before outdoors in mesa)

100% agreed. fuck the dodge.

amyzzz
09-15-2008, 12:48 PM
I dunno. It kind of matches Phoenix's sterile, cultureless atmosphere.

downingthief
09-15-2008, 01:09 PM

That Mesa show ranks right up there with some of the best I have seen.

higgybaby23
09-15-2008, 01:50 PM

Agreed!

Good crowd, venue and sound. The show was over before 11pm, which for me is also a bonus.

Panther were mildly interesting, but I don't need to see or hear them again.

M Sparks
09-15-2008, 04:12 PM
Check this (http://flagstaffbiking.org/2008/01/29/tour-de-fat-is-cancelled-for-2008/) out.

I hate to sound like Suprefan, but that's the exact same thing I posted. In fact, that's the page I pasted it from. But I guess maybe you're pointing out the comments.

I was talking to one of the guys from that organization a couple years back, he was bragging about how many kegs they go through and how crazy it gets. Now that they lost their money, they're crying about "all the drunks who ruined it." Fuck 'em...maybe now people will donate money to something useful. The Hospice has to beg people to join their fundraisers. How about I start caring about your little club when I see, oh, ANYONE on a bike obey a traffic law.

The Flagstaff bike community are notoriously selfish and smug. The other day, I almost hit some kid riding right down the middle of the street TOWARDS traffic. Like head-on. Then I look up ahead and see his dad right behind him doing the same thing, and he's giving me a dirty look. I'm happy to share the road, but these assholes aren't. They resent cars for existing. I have to haul 200 pounds of equipment 25 miles, and somehow that makes me a bad person because I want to drive my little Honda the speed limit the correct direction on a public street.

mountmccabe
09-15-2008, 04:13 PM

That Mesa show ranks right up there with some of the best I have seen.

Yeah, their shows at Mesa Amp have had far more energy than that show at the Dodge. Was there only one or have they been back? I am thinking of the one after Get Behind Me, Satan.

Also I kinda wish I knew who they were in 1999 so that I could've seen them play Modified.

faxman75
09-15-2008, 04:20 PM

I agree with you guys and amy. I always bitch about the dodge and get pissed when bands I like play there. I don't think i'm going to Beck because it's at the Dodge. It's lifeless and souless and cultureless.

I remember reading a review when it very first opened that talked about how it had so much promise to be something great and instead you walk in and see a dodge truck and corporate advertisement all over the place. No decor, just blank and empty walls.

amyzzz
09-15-2008, 04:34 PM
I have no problem with The Dodge, fax. It's a venue we needed, and the sound seems fine to me.

Also, The White Stripes have sadly not returned to Phoenix since 2005, or I would've taken my kids to see them again. DAMN THEM.

westcoastpirate
09-15-2008, 04:54 PM
I hate to sound like Suprefan, but that's the exact same thing I posted. In fact, that's the page I pasted it from. But I guess maybe you're pointing out the comments.

I'm too impatient to read over 90 pages of thread posts to look for FBO blog links, sorry holmes.

westcoastpirate
09-15-2008, 04:55 PM
Agreed!

Good crowd, venue and sound. The show was over before 11pm, which for me is also a bonus.

Panther were mildly interesting, but I don't need to see or hear them again.

I did like the opening dj, do you know his name?

TomAz
09-15-2008, 05:12 PM
Yeah, their shows at Mesa Amp have had far more energy than that show at the Dodge. Was there only one or have they been back? I am thinking of the one after Get Behind Me, Satan.

Also I kinda wish I knew who they were in 1999 so that I could've seen them play Modified.

they played the Dodge on the GBMS tour. Mesa after Elephant.

amyzzz
09-15-2008, 05:23 PM
I wish I could've seen them in 2002 at least. I was giving birth.

PC-2 Violence
09-15-2008, 06:26 PM
Or, you know, you have vertigo and/or a mistrust of hastily designed and funded public projects born out of fearmongering.

Its a fucking government project. I hardly think it was built out of "fearmongering". That aside, I do believe that there is such thing as "fearmongering" and that it happens every day and is mongered on almost everyone. In this situation I think that your already a fate fallen victim of the mongering if you are wasting your time driving all the way through Golden Valley, then Laughlin, then Searchlight, just to show up in Boulder cause your scared of a bridge or what may happen if you drive on it.

M Sparks
09-16-2008, 10:01 AM
I'm too impatient to read over 90 pages of thread posts to look for FBO blog links, sorry holmes.

Look, it doesn't matter, but I didn't say I posted a link. I quoted most of that exact page IN THE POST YOU WERE RESPONDING TO. You were posting a link TO the page I had just quoted. Not 90 pages ago. Not 90 posts ago. The post that you had just finished reading. I just thought it was funny, that's all. Relax, "holmes". (What fucking decade is this?)

westcoastpirate
09-16-2008, 10:41 AM
Look, it doesn't matter, but I didn't say I posted a link. I quoted most of that exact page IN THE POST YOU WERE RESPONDING TO. You were posting a link TO the page I had just quoted. Not 90 pages ago. Not 90 posts ago. The post that you had just finished reading. I just thought it was funny, that's all. Relax, "holmes". (What fucking decade is this?)

Did you have to drive over a bunch of bridges for work today or were there too many people riding bikes in the street?

M Sparks
09-16-2008, 10:48 AM
Its a fucking government project. I hardly think it was built out of "fearmongering".

OK, I did some more research, and you're three-quarters right. It had been in the works since at least 1997, and got a final approval in early 2001.

However, 3 weeks after Sept 11th, 2001, the schedule for the project was "accelerated" by 2 years. (Of course now, it's running 2 years behind.) That's a direct response to panic perpetuated by the government. There was never any sort of threat against the Hoover Dam, and if there was, building a bridge 4-8 years from now wouldn't have helped.

That was my mistake, I never heard about the bypass until October 2001. I went to Vegas that month, and this was when they REALLY had it locked down on the dam- like everyone had to be interviewed. And then I read about the bypass in the local paper the next day, so I assumed it was a direct relation.

At that time, I began taking the longer route, rather than mess with the backup at the security checkpoints.

In this situation I think that your already a fate fallen victim of the mongering if you are wasting your time driving all the way through Golden Valley, then Laughlin, then Searchlight, just to show up in Boulder cause your scared of a bridge or what may happen if you drive on it.

OK, first of all, you actually avoid Boulder on that route which is a bonus, but driving through Searchlight negates that.

Forget the second part. I plan to avoid the bypass, because I have vertigo. It's uncomfortable and potentially dangerous. To me, that's worth an extra 15 minutes on the road. That's my choice. If there was no choice, or if the alternative was 90 minutes out of the way, then I would suck it up and take the bypass. It's not like I'm telling anyone else they should go that way. Why the fuck would you have a problem with that? Ooohhh...I have a balance problem, runs in the family...guess you're better than me because you don't, you sure got me there.

On the other hand, the government forces 300,000 trucks a year to make the same detour because they're scared of imaginary terrorists. But I'm the asshole because I get dizzy. Whatever.