PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Single Act

BigBoy!
06-14-2007, 02:02 PM
Say Coachella is only going to be one day with one major headliner and there are an unlimited number of tickets available. Which act would sell the most tickets?

I say Radiohead. They are still huge and they fit the Coachella vibe really well.

What do you say?

DeltaSigChi4
06-14-2007, 02:20 PM
Wrong.

The Smiths.

E

Somewhat Damaged
06-14-2007, 02:21 PM
Not that they'd do it for me, but Pink Floyd. (That also isn't to say that I dislike them, just that they aren't the band I'm most eager to see.)

meyouseek
06-14-2007, 03:54 PM
I dunno what all this Pink Floyd talk is about. I don't think those old bastards have much of a crossover with the Coachella crowd.

I've always found they're more appreciated by frat boys who like the Grateful Dead and Bob Marley.

meyouseek
06-14-2007, 03:56 PM
I think U2 would probably sell more tickets at Coachella. Not that many more than Radiohead. I encourage both bands to play on successive nights next year so I have some room in the Sahara tent later in the evening.

amyzzz
06-14-2007, 03:58 PM
I think you're missing the point of Coachella.

ThomThom
06-14-2007, 03:58 PM
Well if your talking only bands that are alive and still playing together...Radiohead would definitely be it.

thelastgreatman
06-14-2007, 04:03 PM
Well, they're the seventh highest-selling recording artists of all time. http://www.riaa.com/gp/bestsellers/topartists.asp

thelastgreatman
06-14-2007, 04:05 PM
Also, Radiohead is the closest thing we have to Pink Floyd nowadays.

meyouseek
06-14-2007, 04:09 PM
I think you're missing the point of Coachella.

The point of Coachella is for Goldenvoice to make stacks of cash.

Is there some other point that I missed somewhere?

psychic friend
06-14-2007, 04:42 PM
i would like to point out that depeche mode was and radiohead wasnt, on that list. hahaha. (to erik).
http://www.riaa.com/gp/bestsellers/topartists.asp

also if it was all about the cash, coachella would have stages named like lolla's and top 40 bands.

suprefan
06-14-2007, 04:53 PM
i would like to point out that depeche mode was and radiohead wasnt, on that list. hahaha. (to erik).
http://www.riaa.com/gp/bestsellers/topartists.asp

also if it was all about the cash, coachella would have stages named like lolla's and top 40 bands.

Yeah, I kept scrolling down to see where DM ended up. They are tied with NIN though on sales though which is interesting.

And the point of Coachella isnt about the money. I think thats been shown time and time again by not overcharging on things like water and keeping the sponsorships to a minumum.

Perry needed 9 stages all with corporate sponsors to even have those $60 tickets for sale and then merely doubling the price afterwards. Roo doesnt even have corporate sponsorship up the wazoo and they keep the fans coming back.

captncrzy
06-14-2007, 07:49 PM
that is an interesting list. Mainly that Paula Abdul is above Depeche Mode. Very very confusing.

Somewhat Damaged
06-14-2007, 08:21 PM
The reason I think Pink Floyd would be a bigger single day draw than Radiohead or U2 is that they haven't performed together much (what, just at Live8?) in the past few decades. Radiohead and U2 sell out their tours in an eyeblink, sure, but that in itself takes away from the aura that a Pink Floyd appearance would have. It would be more unique, thus garnering insane coverage (remember all the RATM reunion stories surrounding this year's festival?), and since they appeal to far more people than just "frat boys who like the Grateful Dead and Bob Marley" (one must at least account for the baby boomers who are probably behind whatever success the Police tour is enjoying or who spend exorbitant amounts of money to see the Rolling Stones), they would sell out this one-day Coachella the fastest.

EDIT: Just read the first post again and I guess it's not about selling out the fastest, but who'd sell the most tickets. Well, I still stand by Pink Floyd. And if we're not talking reunion acts, U2 over Radiohead. Keeping in mind that Radiohead are my favorite active band, but facts are facts. U2 have had more than 20 years to build their audience and have had some of the biggest selling albums of all-time. I would argue that Radiohead has really only been huge for the past decade, and even giving them 1997 is a stretch. When did The Bends go platinum? Great album, no doubt, but greatness doesn't equate into massive popularity.

thelastgreatman
06-14-2007, 08:31 PM
Dudes, this isn't even an argument. Pink Floyd is rather easily the most legendary concert act ever, have been since Dark Side.

suprefan
06-14-2007, 08:50 PM
Dudes, this isn't even an argument. Pink Floyd is rather easily the most legendary concert act ever, have been since Dark Side.

Ever hear of some band called Led Zeppelin? If Bonham was still alive and they decided to get back together that would be right up there easily.

thelastgreatman
06-14-2007, 09:11 PM
Are we counting dead people now too, you dumb fuck?

How about The Beatles?

How about Elvis?

You fucking putz. Keep your milkshake dancing snatch the fuck away from quoting me.

Deviate_420
06-14-2007, 09:39 PM

How about The Beatles?

How about Elvis?

You fucking putz. Keep your milkshake dancing snatch the fuck away from quoting me.

One word, PHISH!!!!!!!!

Rap/rock Is Life
06-14-2007, 10:39 PM
INSANE CLOWN POSSE

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
06-15-2007, 04:57 AM
That riaa list is a piece of crap!! I can't believe how much stuff people will buy! 3 doors down? Are you kidding me?

To go back to the argument at hand. I would have to agree that Pink Floyd would definately be the biggest headliner possible for Coachella (That is of all the acts that are still alive). Their music has crossed a few generations already so why not? And really, who among us wouldn't attend a PF show given the chance? I remember reading a article with Jonny Greenwood from Radiohead where he showed the band footage from PF concert in Pompeii. He told the band THAT is how they need to do shows. So even though I am a huge Radiohead, they wouldn't compete with Radiohead on this.

I would say that tied for 2nd place to do it would be the Smiths (No explaning there) and U2. But in the end as Amyzz has already stated this is not the point of Coachella...

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
06-15-2007, 05:02 AM
Ever hear of some band called Led Zeppelin? If Bonham was still alive and they decided to get back together that would be right up there easily.

Yeah, but if we are going to argue with bands rising from the dead, then I vote for a Beatles performing Sgt. Pepper @ Coachella with a 50 piece orchestra..A Day In the Life live? EPIC...

captncrzy
06-15-2007, 07:41 AM
. Keep your milkshake dancing snatch the fuck away from quoting me.

That's pretty funny

ThomThom
06-15-2007, 08:25 AM
If we are talking the biggest reunion act at Coachella, Pink Floyd would probably draw the biggest numbers. If we are talking what current band that appeals to the Coachella crowd and is still together, it would be Radiohead. As much as U2 is a massive draw around the world, I just don't think they would appeal to Coachella as much as other bands. They can play the Daimler-Chrysler or Pepsi stage at Lollapalooza next year, not Coachella. If you would like to just say biggest draw period, definitely Pink Floyd.

smokealotapotamus
06-15-2007, 09:50 AM
I dunno what all this Pink Floyd talk is about. I don't think those old bastards have much of a crossover with the Coachella crowd.

I've always found they're more appreciated by frat boys who like the Grateful Dead and Bob Marley.

Since when have the Grateful Dead and Bob Marley been associated with Frat? Frat = 311, RATM, Chili Peppers, O.A.R., Floater etc... and most people like Bob Marley, so he doesn't count.

noisemachine
06-15-2007, 10:13 AM
Since when have the Grateful Dead and Bob Marley been associated with Frat? Frat = 311, RATM, Chili Peppers, O.A.R., Floater etc... and most people like Bob Marley, so he doesn't count.
Don't forget Sublime...possibly the band most listened to by frat boys, at least here in SB.

Boourns
06-15-2007, 10:51 AM
Sublime: the band that unites spoiled frat boys and poor white trash.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
06-15-2007, 10:55 AM
Sublime: the band that unites spoiled frat boys and poor white trash.

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!! Thank you for that! that is by far the most perfect way to describe them!!

meyouseek
06-15-2007, 11:19 AM

Just what I found in my personal experience with the frat guys I knew. They were also big fans of Jimmy Buffet and Neil Diamond. I suppose they were somewhat progressive compared to what is thought of as a frat boy.

What I think most people are confusing for frat guys are probably high school jocks and whatever high school jocks become after high school. Those are your dangerous pit denizens looking for a fight.

rage patton
06-15-2007, 11:34 AM
First off, Metallica have sold more albums then U2? Who knew?
Second, fuck off! Sublime kick ass. I am far from a frat boy, and so are most of my friends, and we all listen to Sublime. Also, I am not a stoner or a pothead or anything like that. Coincidentaly, my friend who are "frat boys" dont listen to Sublime. They sure as hell listen to Pink Floyd though. Not to say Pink Floyd are frat music. Im just saying.
Third, I agree, Zeppelin would be the biggest easily. And they could reform. Obviously, Bonham wouldnt be on drums. Dave Grohl would take his place though. If that happened, that concert would sell more tickets than any concert ever. But if we are talking about bands who all the original members are still alive, then that counts out Pink Floyd as well. RIP Syd Barrett.

thelastgreatman
06-15-2007, 12:10 PM
First off, Metallica have sold more albums then U2? Who knew?
Second, fuck off! Sublime kick ass. I am far from a frat boy, and so are most of my friends, and we all listen to Sublime. Also, I am not a stoner or a pothead or anything like that. Coincidentaly, my friend who are "frat boys" dont listen to Sublime. They sure as hell listen to Pink Floyd though. Not to say Pink Floyd are frat music. Im just saying.
Third, I agree, Zeppelin would be the biggest easily. And they could reform. Obviously, Bonham wouldnt be on drums. Dave Grohl would take his place though. If that happened, that concert would sell more tickets than any concert ever. But if we are talking about bands who all the original members are still alive, then that counts out Pink Floyd as well. RIP Syd Barrett.

What do you base this assumption on? Also, the big difference here is that Zeppelin broke up after Bonham's death. Floyd wasn't really Floyd until Barrett was out of the band.

rage patton
06-15-2007, 12:15 PM
I was assuming dead members/band were out the question considering this comment...

How about The Beatles?

How about Elvis?

And I get what you are saying about Pink Floyd.
Ok, lets assume this. Led Zeppelin is back together (Plant/Page/Jones/Grohl) and Pink is also back together (Gilmore/Waters/Right/Mason).
Now, of those 2 line ups, which would sell more tickets?

thelastgreatman
06-15-2007, 12:21 PM
The problem here is that the entire strength of your case is based on the fact that Zeppelin has never performed (except for that one Live Aid concert where Phil Collins and some other dude filled in, and even then Zep refused to allow their footage to be used on the VHS or DVD because it wasn't up to their standards) since Bonham died.

The Beatles could reform too, people would go in droves.

My point was that as a concert act, Floyd holds a certain exalted status not just for their music but for the incredible spectacle they put on, and they continue to hold that reverence without any of the (important) members being dead. They're responsible for popularizing the ridiculous lightshows we see today, for making concerts both a severe visual and auditory experience. Check out the PULSE DVD.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
06-15-2007, 03:26 PM
I was assuming dead members/band were out the question considering this comment...

And I get what you are saying about Pink Floyd.
Ok, lets assume this. Led Zeppelin is back together (Plant/Page/Jones/Grohl) and Pink is also back together (Gilmore/Waters/Right/Mason).
Now, of those 2 line ups, which would sell more tickets?

Oh Pink Floyd still...even with Dave Grohl might as well be a LZ tribute band...

thelastgreatman
06-15-2007, 04:07 PM
Also, Dave Grohl (is that seriously how you spell it?) is a fine drummer, but he's no Bonham. Throw Danny Carey in there and it's a decent comparison.

Also, have you seen how bad Paige and Plant's performances are nowadays compared to back in the day? But my point is still that Zeppelin, although a huge touring act, didn't do the insane shit Floyd did. They were a great live rock band, but they sure as fuck didn't do anything like The Wall tour, much less the Division Bell tour which tops all despite no Waters.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
06-15-2007, 04:24 PM
Also, Dave Grohl (is that seriously how you spell it?) is a fine drummer, but he's no Bonham. Throw Danny Carey in there and it's a decent comparison.

Also, have you seen how bad Paige and Plant's performances are nowadays compared to back in the day? But my point is still that Zeppelin, although a huge touring act, didn't do the insane shit Floyd did. They were a great live rock band, but they sure as fuck didn't do anything like The Wall tour, much less the Division Bell tour which tops all despite no Waters.

Seriously, word has it that because of all the heroin, Jimmy Page lost alot of his playing ability. Last I heard Gilmore can still rock...don't get me started on Robert Plant's voice either.

rage patton
06-17-2007, 01:01 AM
Pink Floyd may put on a live spectacle, and thier live show may very well be better than Led Zeppelins. Based on DVD footage I have seen of each, both are spectacular live shows, but very different.
My point is, if both Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd did (seperate) one off shows with "unlimited" tickets available, Zeppelin would sell more tickets. Thats not to say Pink Floyd wouldnt sell alot, or even a huge amount close to Zeppelins. I would love to see a Pink Floyd reunion.
Also, I used Dave Grohl as an example, because back in the 90s when Zeppelin reunion rumours were going wild, John Paul Jones reported IF it did happen, Dave Grohl would be the drummer to do it. In later interviews, Dave Grohl confirmed that he did get an offer, and said he would have accepted, had it go on. Which it obviously didnt. Also, today John Paul Jones and Dave Grohl are really good friends and JPJ played a multitude of instruments on the Foo Fighters In Your Honour acoustic disc. I would fuckin love to see Danny Carrey drum for Zeppelin myself. Either or would make me happy.

woogie846
06-17-2007, 01:13 AM
Seriously, word has it that because of all the heroin, Jimmy Page lost alot of his playing ability. Last I heard Gilmore can still rock...don't get me started on Robert Plant's voice either.

In my opinion, Page was never a terrific guitarist to start out with in the first place.

Is Robert Plant's voice really that bad? I haven't heard anything from him since Zeppelin.