PDA

View Full Version : Quitting Cigarettes--Thoughts, Bitches?

thelastgreatman
06-12-2007, 10:50 AM
I'm off this skag for good, goddammit. I'll take suggestions and mockery, but if anyone comes in here with bland encouragement I'm going to put Passive's hair on you.

kreutz2112
06-12-2007, 10:50 AM
take your avatars advice.

Calamity Jane
06-12-2007, 10:58 AM
At what point is it going to sink in that no one cares about your stupid bullshit and your constant thread creation breeds hostility?

J~$$$
06-12-2007, 11:00 AM
Some thoughts are okay to keep to yourself Randy.

Good Days Last
06-12-2007, 11:01 AM
Go for it.

Life's a garden.
Dig it.

Hannahrain
06-12-2007, 11:01 AM
http://www.reel.com/Content/fpb/features2005/dig_8.jpg

TomAz
06-12-2007, 11:11 AM
I have an acquaintance whose wife is Jeff Tweedy's sister's best friend.

This is a true fact.

thelastgreatman
06-12-2007, 11:13 AM
Actually it was a call for advice, you gaggle of ravenous wolfcunts.

Yablonowitz
06-12-2007, 11:14 AM
I'm off this skag for good, goddammit. I'll take suggestions and mockery, but if anyone comes in here with bland encouragement I'm going to put Passive's hair on you.

I'm glad that you stopped smoking, that stuff will you kill you. Take it one day at a time, sweet Randy. One day at a time.

What are you wearing today?

TomAz
06-12-2007, 11:16 AM
I think you mean a clowder of ravenous wolfcunts, Randy. Or perhaps a rout. A gaggle refers strictly to geese which are not in flight.

thelastgreatman
06-12-2007, 11:16 AM
Pasties and a g-string, with an extra-large fake dick hanging to the left.

Good Days Last
06-12-2007, 11:21 AM
Haha.

Here's some advice... just don't smoke.

Or put it in your mouth.

Meaning the Cigarette.

Among other things.

thelastgreatman
06-12-2007, 11:24 AM
Could it be a murder of ravenous wolfcunts, Tom?

Meaning, like, could we just murder them?

TomAz
06-12-2007, 11:26 AM
quick, someone give Randall some Nicorette.

kreutz2112
06-12-2007, 11:27 AM
patch or gum? I need to know this.

psychic friend
06-12-2007, 11:28 AM
http://www.theeasywaytostopsmoking.com/Portals/0/SiteImages/book-small.gif

Good Days Last
06-12-2007, 11:28 AM
http://tobacco.mededu.miami.edu/tobacco/studyPlan/slides/36-smoking%20thru%20trach.jpg

Good Days Last
06-12-2007, 11:29 AM
http://www.damanique.net/images/cats/caturday9.jpg

Courtney
06-12-2007, 11:30 AM
Good choice.

And try acupuncture maybe? I hear that it helps a lot. I'm sure it will be easy enough to find someone to volunteer to stick needles in you.

TomAz
06-12-2007, 11:31 AM
good days last is very close to going on ignore. come on dude, don't post that shit.

Good Days Last
06-12-2007, 11:36 AM
Just showing the risks of smoking.

I'll do you a favor and change the second one to something more...

tame.

TomAz
06-12-2007, 11:37 AM
the risks of smoking are well publicized

thelastgreatman
06-12-2007, 11:37 AM
How bout you go back and delete the post so I don't have to speed scroll through my damn thread?

Good Days Last
06-12-2007, 11:38 AM
Nah. I like being in this thread. Though I don't have any helpful information and if you deleted my 4 posts so far, you'd still scroll through 19 other posts.

Hannahrain
06-12-2007, 11:40 AM
http://www.ferhiga.com/progre/portadas/jt-thick-as-a-brick.jpg

thelastgreatman
06-12-2007, 11:42 AM
http://www.theeasywaytostopsmoking.com/Portals/0/SiteImages/book-small.gif

Do you actually know that to be a worthwhile read from personal or at least second-hand experience, Dani, my sweet?

DeltaSigChi4
06-12-2007, 11:43 AM
http://www.damanique.net/images/cats/caturday9.jpg

What breed are those kittens? And what do they look grown?

Absolutely adorable. I want one!!!

E

DeltaSigChi4
06-12-2007, 11:46 AM
And LGM, just fucking quit man. You've got to want to quit, and if you do, just do it. Don't you ever get ashamed of giving so much of your money to the despicable Republicans who own big tobacco?

E

amyzzz
06-12-2007, 11:46 AM
My husband's new employer advised him and his new fellow co-workers that they are not allowed to smoke on the premises, within 3 blocks of the premises or on their breaks. I think they are allowed to smoke on their lunches (further than 3 blocks away). That kind of employer might help you quit. :thu

amyzzz
06-12-2007, 11:47 AM
It has everything to do with health insurance costs.

Courtney
06-12-2007, 11:50 AM
Oh, I have more advice for Randy: sleep.

:)

psychic friend
06-12-2007, 11:50 AM
Do you actually know that to be a worthwhile read from personal or at least second-hand experience, Dani, my sweet?

I know several people who have. I myself have and read this book and think it works but I need to re-read it... It's a worth a shot.

jackstraw94086
06-12-2007, 11:51 AM
wear the patch. You'll get crazy intense dreams. For the first week you'll never be sure at any given moment whether you're awake or dreaming.

thinnerair
06-12-2007, 11:57 AM
quitting smoking is a bitch, but if you really don't want to smoke anymore, then its not too bad. For me, one of the hardest things was being around bars and alcohol because that is when I smoked the most. The first week or two isn't too bad. You'll just be fidgetty because smoking isn't all about the nicotine. A lot of it is in the oral fixation, habit (like biting your nails) and just out of boredom. You may find that you start snacking a bunch.
Those cinnamon tree oil toothpicks really helped me out for a long time.
Alot of people gain weight after quitting smoking due to snacking and the lack of nicotine lowering your body's metabolism.

I quit for a year and eventually realized that I really like smoking and that Im good at it, so I started up again. I don't smoke nearly as much as I used to, but I do smoke again...mainly because im weak and because i like cigarettes.

thelastgreatman
06-12-2007, 11:58 AM
I got the patch once. I noticed that warning about not going to sleep with it on as it would cause "vivid dreaming," and so I figured I absolutely wanted to sleep with it on 'cause I'm never aware of my dreams whatsoever, haven't been for years (too sedated, I think). Unfortunately, I forgot the kind of shit I used to dream about back in the day.

Dani--thanks, I might actually go get that. What's the upshot, if you don't mind?

Oh, and there's an entire fucking town out here where it's illegal to smoke outside. Like anywhere outside. Like if you're out of your house, you have to smoke inside your car with the windows rolled up or they ticket you.

TomAz
06-12-2007, 11:59 AM
so shut the fuck up already

thelastgreatman
06-12-2007, 12:00 PM
Oh, I have more advice for Randy: sleep.

:)

I have several inches of advice for you, too.

Ill_Eagle
06-12-2007, 12:00 PM
Just have one of your buddies punch you really hard every time you want to smoke. Eventually you'll stop liking cigs.

jackstraw94086
06-12-2007, 12:02 PM
I quit for a year and eventually realized that I really like smoking and that Im good at it, so I started up again. I don't smoke nearly as much as I used to, but I do smoke again...mainly because im weak and because i like cigarettes.

Cigarettes or no, you'll always be a smoker of some sort, nando.

denies the day
06-12-2007, 12:04 PM
wear the patch. You'll get crazy intense dreams. For the first week you'll never be sure at any given moment whether you're awake or dreaming.

I've wanted to steal a patch for this exact reason.

But this ain't about me.

algunz
06-12-2007, 12:05 PM
Interesting. I was just thinking about seeking advice today about this very issue on the boards. I didn't expect such a harsh response. Glad you started the thread and not me, LGM.

But, the info has been useful to me as well. Thanks.

thelastgreatman
06-12-2007, 12:06 PM

Cock? Is that the suggestion here, Jack? Smoking meat rope?

Also, anybody else notice that when they stop smoking they're even more out of breath and cough more for the first couple weeks? WTF, mate?

SFChrissy
06-12-2007, 12:06 PM
LGM...Aren't you a Marlboro light smoker...those are a bitch to get off the chemicals suck...I've gotten off the morlboro's and when I feel like smoking I smoke American Spirits...there's a huge difference...

What really kills me is the physical hand to mouth action...so find something else to occupy that physical activity or like someone else said pretend to smoke...hold it smell it but it in your mouth but don't light up...worked for me to but when you start thinking of lighting up and having one...just do something else to distract your thoughts...and if you neeeed to smoke one keep a pak of the american spirits stashed in the drawer!!!

Good luck...

thelastgreatman
06-12-2007, 12:08 PM
But... American Spirits are horrible. So, so horrible. And recently I've been on Parliaments, dunno why.

I need to go buy several bags of Blow Pops.

SFChrissy
06-12-2007, 12:08 PM
Cock? Is that the suggestion here, Jack? Smoking meat rope?

Also, anybody else notice that when they stop smoking they're even more out of breath and cough more for the first couple weeks? WTF, mate?

Yes, that's from your alvioli waking up...they have been sedated by carbonmono/dioxide...relax it gets better!!! the first 6-8 weeks are the worst...hang in there!!!

DeltaSigChi4
06-12-2007, 12:09 PM
Man, you people sound really mentally weak.

/observation

E

thelastgreatman
06-12-2007, 12:09 PM
Life is nothing if not a series of habits, Delt.

psychic friend
06-12-2007, 12:10 PM
The book is completely logical. It reminds you of things such as "would you start smoking again if you could go back in time?". It also helps you realize the supposed withdrawl suffering is mostly in your head. (People sleep for hours with no discomfort from "not" smoking...etc.)

It's worth a read. Though it suggests you don't stop until after you read it. I am not sure how well it will work if you already are not smoking and just suffering. There are parts where you are supposed to smoke as you are reading.

Good Days Last
06-12-2007, 12:11 PM
http://www.kananda.com/bad%20habits1%20closecrop.jpg

thelastgreatman
06-12-2007, 12:15 PM
There are parts where you are supposed to smoke as you are reading.

In that case, I'm gonna go buy it right now.

Anyone have any success with Wellbutrin/Zyban? They're the same chemical, useful for breaking compulsive behaviors. Just wondering if I know ANYONE who's actually quit thanks to it.

thinnerair
06-12-2007, 12:17 PM

Hi Jack. Forgot how clever you were. Keep up the good work.

psychic friend
06-12-2007, 12:23 PM
Wellbutrin is AWESOME. It worked for me while I was on it. Then several months later when off it, started smoking again. Don't drink if on wellbutrin.

SFChrissy
06-12-2007, 12:27 PM
But... American Spirits are horrible. So, so horrible. And recently I've been on Parliaments, dunno why.

I need to go buy several bags of Blow Pops.

not really they just have a full flavor cause they are not camo'ed with addatives!!! the tabacco is natural and it's the filter that changes on those guys...

thelastgreatman
06-12-2007, 12:29 PM
Wellbutrin is AWESOME. It worked for me while I was on it. Then several months later when off it, started smoking again. Don't drink if on wellbutrin.

You had issues with drinking on Wellbutrin? Like what? That might explain a lot...

thelastgreatman
06-12-2007, 12:30 PM
not really they just have a full flavor cause they are not camo'ed with addatives!!! the tabacco is natural and it's the filter that changes on those guys...

No, they have a fully horrible flavor because they use weird kinds of tobacco that taste like the NSFW foot.

matildawong
06-12-2007, 12:31 PM
Chiming in on the wellbutrin -- I don't know why but it helped. I didn't start smoking again when I went off.

Courtney
06-12-2007, 12:55 PM
I have several inches of advice for you, too.

Sorry, I like my advice to be more substantive than anything you might offer. You can keep those several inches to yourself thanks.

thelastgreatman
06-12-2007, 01:04 PM
Sorry, I like my advice to be more substantive than anything you might offer. You can keep those several inches to yourself thanks.

It's a sound business opportunity, srsly.

thelastgreatman
06-12-2007, 01:16 PM
Chiming in on the wellbutrin -- I don't know why but it helped. I didn't start smoking again when I went off.

For some reason Wellbutrin is very useful with breaking compulsive behaviors, I'm not even sure if they've determined exactly what the mechanism is that makes it special among SSRIs in that respect.

I have a little theory though--recent studies (google it if you want a source) have discovered that nicotine is a remarkably effective treatment for schizophrenia. Apparently 95 percent of schizophrenics are also smokers. Perhaps we're all just mildly schizophrenic?

amyzzz
06-12-2007, 01:25 PM
We're all out to get you, Randy.

Courtney
06-12-2007, 01:31 PM
For some reason Wellbutrin is very useful with breaking compulsive behaviors, I'm not even sure if they've determined exactly what the mechanism is that makes it special among SSRIs in that respect.

Wellbutrin (bupropion) isn't an SSRI, is it? I thought it worked on norepinephrine and dopamine, not serotonin.

TomAz
06-12-2007, 01:32 PM
shhhhhhhh. Randy doesn't let the facts get in the way of his opinions.

thelastgreatman
06-12-2007, 01:37 PM
::standing corrected::

See, unlike Tom, I can admit when I'm wrong. WHEN I actually am.

From Wiki:

Bupropion is a dopamine and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor. It is about twice as potent an inhibitor of dopamine uptake than norepinephrine uptake. As bupropion is rapidly converted in the body into several metabolites with differing activity, its action cannot be understood without understanding its metabolism. Occupancy of dopamine transporter (DAT) by bupropion and its metabolites in human brain measured by positron emission tomography was 6–22% according to an independent study[34] and 12–35% according to GSK researchers.[35] Based on the analogy with serotonin reuptake inhibitors, higher than 50% inhibition of DAT would be needed for the dopamine reuptake mechanism to be a major mechanism of bupropion action. Bupropion does not inhibit MAO (i.e. is not a MAOI) and serotonin reuptake. However, it has been shown to indirectly enhance firing of serotonergic neurons (via activation of downstream norepinephrine flow). Bupropion has also been shown to act as a noncompetitive α3β4 nicotinic antagonist.[36] The degree of inhibition of α3β4-receptors correlates well with the decrease of self-administration of morphine and metamphetamine in rats,[37] and may be relevant to the effect of bupropion on nicotine addiction.

TomAz
06-12-2007, 01:42 PM
You're a petulant, spoiled little boy, Randy.

thelastgreatman
06-12-2007, 01:45 PM
Don't be bitter just because I was raised by someone much, much more intelligent than you could ever hope to be, Tom.

You're still... smart.

I guess.

Smooches.

protodisco
06-12-2007, 01:58 PM
dude, don't quit. we've got to keep morale up. do buy oodles of blowpops though.

thelastgreatman
06-12-2007, 02:00 PM
Ha, this is a morale issue now?

psychic friend
06-12-2007, 03:39 PM
we need more nicotinic antagonists in this world

bassmintpdx
06-12-2007, 04:25 PM
At what point is it going to sink in that no one cares about your stupid bullshit and your constant thread creation breeds hostility?

Owned.

crazzz2007
06-12-2007, 04:33 PM
the risks of smoking are well publicized

some people are more visual tom. it won't sink in until they see it with their own eyes.

thelastgreatman
06-12-2007, 05:09 PM
Yeah, addicts are usually easily swayed by pictures. I mean, sure we all probably know at least one person that has suffered a serious medical ailment due to smoking, but those pictures...

Silly.

Owned.

Really? Sorry, but I say one cannot be owned by an alias, much less by such a weak one.

Jenniehoo
06-12-2007, 05:39 PM
I quit Sunday before last with gum. I'm still quit. I smoked for six years.

full on idle
06-12-2007, 05:53 PM
I gave up cigarettes for crack. Oi the energy I have now!

thelastgreatman
06-12-2007, 05:57 PM
I like Val's idea.

Jenniehoo
06-12-2007, 05:58 PM
Val

full on idle
06-12-2007, 06:00 PM
ignore

thelastgreatman
06-12-2007, 06:01 PM
Val, instead of having an Ignore button, you need to "Stop Being Such A Twat" button.

Like, hardwired into your spine.

full on idle
06-12-2007, 06:02 PM
I'm pushing it and pushing it but you're still here.

Bill O'Reilly
06-12-2007, 06:03 PM
WHY QUIT!? CIGARETTES ARE AS AMERICAN AS APPLE PIE AND ANAL SEX!!!

thelastgreatman
So apparently it's not working for either one of us.

full on idle
hey o

thelastgreatman
06-12-2007, 06:06 PM
Maybe I need to go get one installed, and then we can both get our respective gashes under the 8 inch wide mark.

full on idle
06-12-2007, 06:07 PM
That doesn't even make sense to me.

thelastgreatman
06-12-2007, 06:08 PM
Wanna scissor?

fatbastard
06-12-2007, 08:16 PM
I stopped smoking 15 years ago.

I started with
http://www.all-cheap-discount-cigarettes.com/html/one/parliament_classic.jpg
then
http://www.available-cigarettes.com/html/one/kent_super_lights.jpg
then
http://www.all-cheap-discount-cigarettes.com/html/one/marlboro_lights.jpg
then
http://www.001cigarettes.com/BensonFF.jpg
then
http://www.001cigarettes.com/BensonML.jpg
then
http://www.smokeshopmag.com/1000/cover29.jpg
then
http://www.cigarsclub.com/images/more.jpg
then
http://www.marlboro-cigarette.net/images/marlboro-light-mentol.jpg
then back to
http://www.all-cheap-discount-cigarettes.com/html/one/marlboro_lights.jpg
I still have 8 Zippo lighters in a sock drawer and gave my cigarette cases to friends.

I loved and still love cigarettes. I loved them with a cup of coffee, with a beer, after a good meal, with a soda. Mmmmm. Cigarettes were the best at parties and group event. I met plenty of other smokers with similar sentiments. SCOTCH AND CIGGERETTES! For the love of God.

But then there is the cough. That cough with that yellowish phlegm comes out of your mouth. There were the hot days that felt weird with the sun beating on my face and feeling the heat when inhaling. Then there were the days when it rained and I was outside getting rained on and trying to keep my ciggy dry.

I quit many times. I quit/bummed on several occasions. One thing I will say that you will gain weight and each time you quit, you gain more. You will have to work hard to loose the weight.

Your gonna quit and start then quit and start again until one day you just get tired of it. Hopefully you get there because when you do, your back in control.

No patches,no gum, no therapy. It has to come from you. When you do, you will wonder what took so long. Hopefully this will happen to you. I had a co-worker who always got a migrane when she tried to stop. She never could. She will go down with one in her hand. The problem was that her nerves, as a result of the smoking is starting to effect her health. She looks yellow.

What made me quit forever? The wife (with not one ounce of bullshit in her face) said one day that she did not want to grow old by herself. I normally have a quick smartass comeback for things but that comment shut me the fuck up.

I will have a few every now and then. I had 1/2 a pack last October for a company event in Glendale. It doesn't taste the same though. I may be chubby but it feels good to breath and not have that shit to spit up.

Good luck.

miseducation
06-12-2007, 10:47 PM
Whew Fat Bastard - that's a hell of a post.

I had three months under my belt earlier this year, but then I also realized that I was young and the majority of my social habits had a lot to do with smoking.

It really started because I wanted to do it while rolling at WMC and had some leftover afterwards and just fell right back on the saddle.

It's really a minimal and truly unimportant feeling that it gives us, but there is just something to it's universal acceptance and beautiful relationship with alcohol (scotch and beer definitely - but also the right wine.)

It can make you stop from throwing up and help you take a crap. It makes car rides more interesting and helps you meet people. It's also a hunger suppressant!

But besides how awesome they are - I recommend chewing assloads of gum (like the massive 60 pack that fit in cup holders) and working out a lot. If you don't regularly work out - like 98% of the world - do so and it can pretty effectively take the place of nicotine if you keep at it.

(and it'll help you deal with the newly awakened massive hunger)

(and whoever said that Marlboro Lights have more chemicals and are therefore harder to quit is totally right. I think all Marlboro products are like that. I can go up and down their product line but I can't get half a buzz from a Camel)

SojuGorae
06-13-2007, 09:29 AM
WHY QUIT!? CIGARETTES ARE AS AMERICAN AS APPLE PIE AND ANAL SEX!!!

Anal sex is Greek isn't it?

TomAz
06-13-2007, 09:39 AM
http://www.001cigarettes.com/BensonFF.jpg
then
http://www.001cigarettes.com/BensonML.jpg

did you also experiment with homosexuality?

SojuGorae
06-13-2007, 10:00 AM
At least he didn't smoke KOOLS

fatbastard
06-13-2007, 10:51 PM
did you also experiment with homosexuality?

I got those comments back then as well.

DeltaSigChi4
06-14-2007, 01:44 AM
hahahAHQ!!

E

thelastgreatman
06-14-2007, 08:58 AM
Tom...

I just posted to say...

I love you...

kroqken
06-15-2007, 04:17 PM
Quitting is easy if you are a chirper. About 5 percent of smokers are chirpers.

thelastgreatman
06-15-2007, 04:18 PM
"Chirper?" What the fuck are you talking about, you ugly motherfucker?

kroqken
06-15-2007, 04:28 PM
Chirpers are people who smoke only when they want to and have no need to feel addicted.

thelastgreatman
06-15-2007, 04:31 PM
That's chipping, not chirping.

God I hate you.

kroqken
06-15-2007, 05:44 PM
Oops, I made a boo boo.

BoneDaddy
06-15-2007, 06:55 PM
Randy, if you're as smart as you think you are, do the math. Stop tobacco. I'm not saying stop all of your vices, but tobacco? Come on man.:2c

If you need to hear a personal story about my mom and dad let me know. :afu

thelastgreatman
06-15-2007, 07:00 PM
Trying, homie. And no thanks on the personal story--do you really think it would be effective, honestly? Like we all don't know someone who's died from tobacco, and like I haven't buried friends who've died from things I'd still be willing to do again.

But thanks. And when are we hanging out, btw?

BoneDaddy
06-15-2007, 09:12 PM
No personal story then. It has helped others, but it's cool.

I'm free for lunch next Tues, Wed. You let me know.

-J