PDA

View Full Version : Big Love (HBO series)

SojuGorae
06-11-2007, 02:14 PM
Season 2 starts tonight. Really hope the show picks up some ratings this season. I'll be disappointed if it goes the way of Deadwood.

y-cA3jaKWbM

r2NS2e28GPE

TomAz
06-11-2007, 03:07 PM
Also, season 2 of Kyle XY starts today. woohoo.

S71H3AtE9JY

chairmenmeow47
06-12-2007, 11:18 AM
considering it's been like a year and a half, i'm glad they showed that lil recap at the beginning.

the guy in sarah's mormon support group was creepy.

and poor barb, that would suck to think you were going to die, agree to polygamy, and then be stuck with it. and i'd hate to be one of the 2nd or 3rd wives kids. you can't even approach your dad in public, how weird is that?!

luveebunni08
06-12-2007, 01:51 PM
i'm very happy the second season started. yay hbo series.

theburiedlife
06-12-2007, 02:39 PM
I followed like half of the first season, then lost interest. Anything resolved with Roman since then?

ragingdave
06-12-2007, 02:43 PM
I hate this show.
But I do like ChloŽ Sevigny.
Trees Lounge.

menikmati
06-12-2007, 02:43 PM
im still too depressed with the departure of the Sopranos to turn on HBO again

mob roulette
06-12-2007, 03:25 PM
I hate this show.
But I do like ChloŽ Sevigny.
Trees Lounge.

im still too depressed with the departure of the Sopranos to turn on HBO again

Dave and Menik for the win.

Jenniehoo
06-12-2007, 05:57 PM
I liked this show - I don't have HBO anymore - that's what they get for running season 2 like two fucking years after the first one - what the hell is that about? I was 11 when I liked this show.

Pixiessp
06-12-2007, 07:45 PM
Yeah!!!! It's back!!!
the only reason I even tuned in to begin with was Chloe Sevigny.
I'm glad I did cuz it's a good show.

Pixiessp
06-12-2007, 07:46 PM
The Spurs just won.
Just thought I would mention that.

fatbastard
06-12-2007, 08:30 PM
I've been waiting for the 2nd season to start. I'm in class right now. I'll have to see the repeat.

http://www.superdvd.dk/images/actors/Harry_Dean_Stanton.gif

chairmenmeow47
06-12-2007, 08:46 PM
I followed like half of the first season, then lost interest. Anything resolved with Roman since then?

not really. he's the one who ratted out barb for being a polygamist at the mother of the year ceremony.

he's still creepy and with the young ipod stealing bitch.

SojuGorae
06-12-2007, 11:23 PM
I want to see Alby get his ass kicked real good. Would be a cherry on top if Bill's the one who does it.

And I'm definitely interested in how the writers are going to handle the relationship between Bill's son and Margene this season. If they bump uglies, I'll be real disappointed. They should keep the tension between the two going.

Jerm05
06-26-2007, 08:58 AM
Great episode last night. Every scene was as entertaining as the next.

fatbastard
06-26-2007, 02:45 PM
That picture they were trying to take with everyone wearing white was really really creepy.

Barbara gained weight and Margene lost weight. That guy that plays Roman's oldest son does a great job. I really hate him.

I don't remember the name of Roman's supposed newest bride (the ipod thief). She is equally as creepy on that show.

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/tv_pix/hbo/big_love_photos/_group_photos/ginnifer_goodwin3.jpg

faxman75
01-12-2009, 11:32 AM
:bump

Season 3 starts this coming Sunday. Anyone ready to watch? I love this show.

We left off with Barb telling Bill she would leave if he pursued a 4th wife. Ben the oldest son was following in dads footsteps. Roman was shot and if I remember correct, poisoned. Alby became prophet.

http://www.hbo.com/biglove

brando4n82
01-12-2009, 11:45 AM
I'll be disappointed if it goes the way of Deadwood.

Deadwood is such a good show. I need to get on the 2nd and 3rd season

chairmenmeow47
01-12-2009, 11:49 AM
i re-watched seasons 1 and 2 while i was sick on on demand (i hate talking about "on demand", it always sounds awkward). glad i did, i seriously hate how long their breaks are.

i'm excited for this season, but it'll be interesting to see how far down this hole of sin they are going. i mean, how can you really claim all these fundamentalist values while slutting around with a waitress and selling video gambling machines?

i still can't believe sarah gave it up to creepy dude, *shudder*. she's so hot and he's so... gross. i also hope her brother becomes full on fundamentalist.

and why is this in the music forum?

faxman75
01-12-2009, 11:53 AM
i'm excited for this season, but it'll be interesting to see how far down this hole of sin they are going. i mean, how can you really claim all these fundamentalist values while slutting around with a waitress and selling video gambling machines?

Well the waitress was wife shopping however, Barb has pretty much put her food down. She's the only voice of reason in the household and gets the most sympathy. Margie sticks to cute and dumb she really reminds me of someone I used to know, I swore it was an act. Nicki is my favorite. I'm crazy attracted to her crazy ass.

I almost wish they would do a spinoff based on all the sub characters at the compound, the traditional FLDS life fascinates me the most. Culturally it's the most interesting community in the country that I know about.

chairmenmeow47
01-26-2009, 11:47 AM
last night was pretty good, glad they found out where rhonda's dumb ass is. i also liked sarah giving the creepy guy the shaft, good for her. at least someone in that family has some sort of logical head on their shoulder.

slurpee
01-26-2009, 12:02 PM
My gf got me into this show and now this season has me hooked.

fatbastard
01-26-2009, 01:56 PM
Me no likey wife to be #4.

stinkbutt
01-26-2009, 02:01 PM
This season is crazy and we're only 2 episodes in. Whoever did the casting for this show is great I can't think of anyone better to play Bill than Bill Paxton same with Chloe Sevigmy playin Nikki.

fatbastard
01-26-2009, 02:08 PM
I love watching him constantly on the go during the entire hour: hugging his kids, confirming dinner, walking through from one house to the next, kissing the wives goodbye, working on the business, dealing with his neighbors, dealing with the church, dealing with Chloe's family, dealing with his parents, working on wife number 4, etc...

It makes you want to move to Utah.

chairmenmeow47
01-26-2009, 02:13 PM
Me no likey wife to be #4.

seriously, what the fuck is she doing?! if you want to be an "other woman", why would you go through all this hassle? and where the hell will she go?

and i felt really bad for the don and his wife :(

the on-the-go thing makes me sad. he reminds me of one of those directors in your office who is stretched too thin and only really has time for surface conversation, so they look like they're doing a lot but actually accomplishing nothing. it would suck having to be grateful you are for 5 minutes alone with your father.

and the FLDS halfway house was great. it was so weird to see a party with all these FLDS skirts running around, lol.

chairmenmeow47
02-23-2009, 08:43 AM
LAST NIGHT WAS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

so glad nicki finally got caught. and i knew sarah was going to lose that baby. and teeny finding the note, AHHHH! awesome episode. can't wait to see what happens with nicki moving forward.

slurpee
02-23-2009, 09:01 AM
Why did you think Sarah was going to lose the baby?

I thought that came out of no where.

chairmenmeow47
02-23-2009, 09:03 AM
i'm not sure, it's probably because she had finally decided to keep it. she just seems like such a tragic figure i knew something would get in the way of her plan.

i couldn't imagine being ben either, that would totally suck to be in love with your 3rd mother, lol.

slurpee
02-23-2009, 09:11 AM
Yea but she is a pretty hot 3rd mom.

I think I would try and get with her if she was my 3rd mom.

chairmenmeow47
03-02-2009, 08:04 AM
damn, kathy got killed. she kinda bothered me though in that her character didn't have any real flaws, so i'm not too sad about that. i also found it hard to believe wanda would be happy with another wife, though at the same time, sometimes it seems as though deep down she wants someone to care for her and her family since she's so nuts.

and i felt bad for sarah's friend, but that's why you don't plan your entire future around some knocked up lesbian fantasy.

and the look on margene's face when barb said she would do the grocery shopping was awesome, poor margene, man, i would NOT want to be stuck with that many kids alone all day. i hope she does get to go back to work and nicki has to stay at home.

anti-square
03-02-2009, 08:56 AM
Fuck! Two or three weeks I come on here knowing there will be spoilers before watching the damn thing! Stop it, self!

slurpee
03-02-2009, 09:19 AM
The way Kathy died was crazy!!

Good thing I can rewind, pause, and record HDTV.

That was some good watching.

bleep
03-02-2009, 01:25 PM
this is why i shouldn't catch up with work while watching TV. i miss important stuff like characters dying.

chairmenmeow47
03-02-2009, 01:27 PM
her death was strange, i also had to rewind. viva la dvr.

at first, i thought she was shot from behind, but then realized she was just rear-ended a few times and happened to snap her neck or something. the only reason i knew she was actually dead was the expression on her face and roman's reaction. i'm just glad they didn't do another silent roll of the credits though.

fatbastard
03-02-2009, 01:43 PM
This thread reminded me to look up Kathy onling today. That crazy smile, her hair in the bun, and big dress makes her so real of a person from that environment.

http://images.broadwayworld.com/photoops/virginiawoolf/FH000014.jpg

Mireille Enos is a Tony nominated actress who grew up in Houston, Texas.

She was nominated for a Tony Award (Best Featured Actress in a Play) in 2005 for her performance in the Broadway production of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf.[1]

She also has numerous television appearances and some film roles.

Enos married actor Alan Ruck on January 4, 2008.

Enos studied at Brigham Young University. She is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

slurpee
03-03-2009, 08:29 AM
her death was strange, i also had to rewind. viva la dvr.

at first, i thought she was shot from behind, but then realized she was just rear-ended a few times and happened to snap her neck or something. the only reason i knew she was actually dead was the expression on her face and roman's reaction. i'm just glad they didn't do another silent roll of the credits though.

Kathy ran away from the arranged marriage in a hurry. She jumped into some random truck, but didn't realize she closed the door on her super long hair. Her hair was braided and goes way down her back.

When she crashes into the light pole she goes flying forward, but her hair is stuck in the door. Thus snapping her neck.

chairmenmeow47
03-03-2009, 08:42 AM
Kathy ran away from the arranged marriage in a hurry. She jumped into some random truck, but didn't realize she closed the door on her super long hair. Her hair was braided and goes way down her back.

When she crashes into the light pole she goes flying forward, but her hair is stuck in the door. Thus snapping her neck.

i re-watched last night and totally missed the hair thing the first time around. as someone with extremely long hair, that was difficult to watch.

i also had thought holace's (sp?) "companion" had looked off, but now we know why, he was a woman!

and anyone else notice nicki's extreme cleavage at the dinner with her boss? must have borrowed that from margene :p

and funny, fatbastard. she definitely fit the part.

slurpee
03-03-2009, 08:56 AM
i re-watched last night and totally missed the hair thing the first time around. as someone with extremely long hair, that was difficult to watch.

My hair is more than half way down my back. That's probably the reason I noticed it too hahaha.

I totally never noticed that Nicki's boss kept calling her Margene! My girlfriend and I were both watching it like "wtf, did you ever notice that??"

anti-square
03-03-2009, 09:19 AM
They keep Having Nicki do all these horrible things, but I still find it hard to hate her. She should get pregnant by her boss.

fatbastard
03-03-2009, 10:01 AM
and anyone else notice nicki's extreme cleavage at the dinner with her boss? must have borrowed that from margene :p

Oh yeah. I was looking:) The cast was interviewed in the Sunday section of the New York Times. She appears to be nothing like her character. She looks like a sulking 20's something actress instead of her happy go lucky character.

It's easy to see why Bill doesn't need any pills for her:p

chairmenmeow47
03-03-2009, 10:04 AM
The cast was interviewed in the Sunday section of the New York Times. She appears to be nothing like her character. She looks like a sulking 20's something actress instead of her happy go lucky character.

It's easy to see why Bill doesn't need any pills for her:p

"she" meaning margene?

fatbastard
03-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Yes, Margene.

Damm. I'd need a pill for Nicki and Barb. Well...actually Barb looks sorta hot on some days.

bleep
03-03-2009, 12:04 PM
all of Bill's wives (and ex-wife) are attractive. i find Nikki the most appealing for some reason - even though she's dressed in prairie wear, she exudes sexiness. and i love her character's demeanor too.

slurpee
03-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Is that the correct term?

Prairie wear?

I could see some hipsters getting into it.

sacleonard
03-03-2009, 09:13 PM
This season has been excellent. Margene is the hottest wife, but Nicki has a decent body under those dresses.

stinkbutt
03-03-2009, 09:49 PM
I don't see how anyone can remotely like Nicki especially her character

on a side note I did date a girl for a little while that kinda looked like Nicki

bleep
03-03-2009, 10:24 PM
Is that the correct term?

Prairie wear?

I could see some hipsters getting into it.
ya, that's an appropriate description for her stylistic choices. and, i can't imagine hipsters wearing clothing that fully covers their arms and legs anytime soon.

I don't see how anyone can remotely like Nicki especially her character
she's got a no-nonsense, tell it like it is attitude that's a refreshing contrast to Barb's more reserved, sensitive nature and Margene's happy go lucky character. Nikki has little patience for most things around her, something that i identify with a lot.

fatbastard
03-04-2009, 05:05 AM
Party Monster Chloe>Big Love Chloe

lalitearns
03-04-2009, 05:37 AM
Hello,

dont worry. there are many people who will love fall in love with HBO series this season. so who know's you will get a good response.:)http://photosnag.com/img/3147/n09x0302vnsn/clear.gif

chairmenmeow47
03-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Hello,

dont worry. there are many people who will love fall in love with HBO series this season. so who know's you will get a good response.:)http://photosnag.com/img/3147/n09x0302vnsn/clear.gif

who are you talking to?

i like the episode when bill & nicki are fucking and bill tells her "you're a good girl, aren't you" and she nods her head. that was cute :)

fatbastard
03-22-2009, 05:10 PM
Here we go.

HEADSTRUCK
03-22-2009, 05:15 PM
This season has been excellent. Margene is the hottest wife, but Nicki has a decent body under those dresses.

everytime I see Nikki I think of the movie KIDS, "dont worry its just me Casper"

HEADSTRUCK
03-22-2009, 05:17 PM
This is the first season I have seen and I really like it. I need to check the other 2 seasons out before the next one.

bleep
03-22-2009, 05:20 PM
this season has flown by ridiculously fast, can't believe the finale's tonight.

fatbastard
03-22-2009, 05:58 PM
PAPA!

slurpee
03-23-2009, 01:39 PM
everytime I see Nikki I think of the movie KIDS, "dont worry its just me Casper"

Nikki is Jenny from kids????

Season 2 pwned.

When is season 3??

I want to start my own church!

scoop49er
03-23-2009, 01:46 PM
i laughed my ass off when bill decided to start his own church. it was sweet but fucking insane!

and ROMAN IS FUCKING BYE-BYE!!!

Pixiessp
03-23-2009, 02:22 PM
I watched the first season and only a few of this season. I kinda thought this was the 3rd season though.

Nikki is definitely my favorite character. Chloe Sevigny is one of my favorite actresses. She has so much attitude.

bleep
03-23-2009, 02:34 PM
Nikki is Jenny from kids????

Season 2 pwned.

When is season 3??

I want to start my own church!
this was season 3. season 4 is next in line.

slurpee
03-23-2009, 02:36 PM
i fail :(

bleep
03-23-2009, 02:39 PM
not necessarily. there's another season for you to discover!

chairmenmeow47
03-23-2009, 03:38 PM
GO JOEY!!!

seriously, i'm glad someone on this show has balls, christ. i'm really excited for the new direction. i hope we now see less family feuding and more bill going crazy cult leader on us. also, i bet nicki jr. is going to be a trouble maker. it was funny to watch albie's wives go crazy trying to flee the big house... and when he and his mom were sitting in the hallway after the bomb went off just totally ignoring the maid, LOL.

and i wanted to choke bill for trying to fuck up the meet up like that, THERE WAS A LITTLE GIRL'S LIFE AT STAKE YOU DUMBFUCK, LOOK WHAT HAPPENED TO KATHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i was boggled at his attempts to fuck that up.

great finale. can't wait for season 4. so what, we prolly have to wait like two years or something now, huh. they take so freaking long with big love!!!

bleep
11-22-2009, 05:55 PM
just caught the promo for season 4. Interpol's "Untitled" was used as the backing track.
season premieres January 10, 2010!

nbvcide
11-22-2009, 08:57 PM
i. cannot. wait.

:D

stinkbutt
11-22-2009, 09:30 PM
I like this show but don't see what the endnote is going to be I really hope they come to a conclusion rather than just dragging it out

nbvcide
11-23-2009, 01:53 AM
seems to be building the same way Weeds is (and Sopranos & Deadwood did)..

unfortunately, unlike those shows, Big Love doesn't get better each season..

i'd watch a Margene spin-off though..

bleep
11-23-2009, 08:08 AM
wonder how much more awkward it'll get between Margene and Ben

nbvcide
11-23-2009, 03:08 PM
i'm sorry, but if Ginnifer Goodwin was one of my step-moms, i'd be all up on that too..

chairmenmeow47
11-23-2009, 03:09 PM
i really hope this next season dives into religious cult crazyness.

iv3rdawG
11-25-2009, 04:54 PM
Here's the promo that was talked about earlier:

Lz_QJNALYrU

They always turn out the best ads. I cant wait.

Mammoth85
11-26-2009, 10:04 PM
just caught the promo for season 4. Interpol's "Untitled" was used as the backing track.
season premieres January 10, 2010!

I know, looks awesome. Cannot wait for season 4. The shit hit the fan last season.

nbvcide
12-17-2009, 10:56 PM
Here's something any fan of the show will love this holiday season..

The Juniper Creek Christmas Album (available for free download):
http://www.hbo.com/biglove/junipercreek/index.html

iv3rdawG
01-04-2010, 11:20 AM
New season starts next Sunday.

chairmenmeow47
01-04-2010, 11:22 AM
FUCK! i need to go to my parents sunday then...

i have no TV or internet at home. have the trailers indicated anything about this season? anyone want to enlighten me? :)

nbvcide
01-10-2010, 10:26 PM
tonight's the night, tonight's the night, tonight's the night, tonight's the night, tonight's the night, tonight's the night, tonight's the night, tonight's the night, tonight's the night, tonight's the night, tonight's the night, tonight's the night, tonight's the night, tonight's the night, tonight's the night, tonight's the night!

faxman75
01-12-2010, 10:05 AM
***spoiler alert***

Are we allowed to discuss spoilers yet? I disliked the first episode for numerous reasons. The idea of Ben having a band is cheesy. Roman Grant was the only enjoyable part of Juniper Creek and no other antagonist will be as intersting to watch. Alby the cocksucker and others playing weekend at Bernie's was lame. Anyone else sick of watching Lois and her husband play cat and mouse? I sure as hell am. Isn't Don a partner in this whole casino thing? Where the hell is he when all this crap is going on? The Bill vs the Indians roller coaster ride is getting old too. I guess we'll see where the season goes but this first episode was kinda weak if you ask me.

chairmenmeow47
01-12-2010, 10:09 AM
i wish lois would finally kill her husband. i think she's a great actress and a good character, but i'm sick of the husband being in the picture. i also found the weekend at bernies thing annoying, but do think that ben's band should headline the mainstage :p

it was kind of a weak opening, but i have hope for a crazy cult leader bill now that he's opened his own church. i also like alby's character and i would rather have him as the bad guy for awhile. roman's time was long overdue in my opinion, as interesting a character as he was.

i'd kinda like to see bill take over the compound, but we'll see how the corn goes. i also can't wait to see niki jr. show her true, niki colours lol.

faxman75
01-12-2010, 10:13 AM
With Roman gone, Niki is the best character on the show. To make things interesting maybe Bill will marry Niki jr. lol. Also, how many times is Bill going to offer the authorities help in getting Roman or Alby in return for his own salvation?

It was also odd to see them all excited about the casino in the middle of church. What did you think of the silly crab legs controversy?

All of this crap but i'll still watch and can't wait until next week.

PlayaDelWes
01-12-2010, 10:17 AM
The Lois and her husband situation is hilarious and the birds are out of this world. "Hello". Every time the doorbell rings "Hello" lulz. Ben's band was great. Is that really his voice? You are right. the Weekend at Bernies thing was lame and I think Bill made a couple of wrong decisions there. The whole Alby doing it in the woods, truckstop bathrooms, etc... is always good for a laugh or two. I like Harry Dean Stanton as an actor and I'm sad to see Roman go. Does that mean no more Big Rock Candy Mountain? The Indians are annoying.

chairmenmeow47
01-12-2010, 10:19 AM
i can't believe i forgot to mention how horrific the new opener is. i mean, my god. how many people laughed out loud throughout the entire thing?

faxman75
01-12-2010, 10:23 AM
It was really disapointing. That old theme grew on me.

iv3rdawG
01-12-2010, 10:26 AM
Wait, so whose hat was that at the end? Roman's?

chairmenmeow47
01-12-2010, 10:28 AM
yes, roman's. meaning it fell off his head or something while they were playing weekend at bernies i guess.

i still don't understand how you can open a church and a casino at the same time lol.

faxman75
01-12-2010, 10:29 AM
I forget, where did Roman's body end up? Or are we still waiting to see?

stinkbutt
01-17-2010, 10:59 PM
This is really not looking promising

bleep
01-17-2010, 11:04 PM
i guess Bill running for state senate is the new centerpiece for this season. hum diddy doo, i don't give a fuck. this guy has too much on his plate, why hasn't he dropped dead yet?

woooo, Alby! his kiss was my highlight. despite his overall weirdness, i've always harbored a soft spot -- and a minor crush -- for Alby. i'd love to see how this infatuation progresses.

and congrats to my other Big Love crush Chloe for nabbing a Golden Globe. her tears at Sarah's wedding was heartbreaking.

heart cooks brain
01-17-2010, 11:05 PM
I forget, where did Roman's body end up? Or are we still waiting to see?

Nikki's Mom had him in her freezer for an indeterminate amount of weeks, then Nikki found him and told Albie. Albie and his main wife then took him to bills casino and dumped him in a lawn chair. Bill and Nikkie then took him back to the compund and they had a funeral

chairmenmeow47
01-18-2010, 08:07 AM
and congrats to my other Big Love crush Chloe for nabbing a Golden Globe. her tears at Sarah's wedding was heartbreaking.

i cried :x

i totally wish bill would become the prophet and not a politician.

and i'm glad we have another breadwinner in the house! go marjene :)

MusicIsMyBoyfriend
01-18-2010, 09:53 AM
i guess Bill running for state senate is the new centerpiece for this season. hum diddy doo, i don't give a fuck. this guy has too much on his plate, why hasn't he dropped dead yet?

woooo, Alby! his kiss was my highlight. despite his overall weirdness, i've always harbored a soft spot -- and a minor crush -- for Alby. i'd love to see how this infatuation progresses.

I finally just caught up with S3 on dvd and watched the first 2 eps from this season last night.

Yeah it looks like now the Casino is off the ground that Bill is off to his new project. It seems like there is one thing he has during each season. First it was a new store, then the casino, now this. Although I am interested to see where this whole new prophet plot line goes. I doubt we've seen the end of that.

It's also interesting to see Nikki questioning her beliefs after her fathers death/ love affair with the lawyer guy. Chloe totally deserved her Golden Globe after last season.

But yeah this season is starting out a little boring, but after the bombshells of season 3, it's not surprising. We'll see where they take it.

I think they should revisit adding a 4th wife again. That whole Anna thing last year was interesting, but way too easily disposed of. But that's probably just because Anna always was the wrong one. But, I doubt they'd go there quite yet with Bill's impending race for office.

The new opened startled me the first time, then I missed the old Beach Boys open.

bleep
01-24-2010, 06:00 PM
what the motherfuck?! great episode, things are finally picking up! Sissy Spacek was fantastic.

chairmenmeow47
01-24-2010, 06:10 PM
what the motherfuck?! great episode, things are finally picking up! Sissy Spacek was fantastic.

i agree with all of this. i'm glad marjene & ben FINALLY kissed. HOLLA!

faxman75
01-28-2010, 08:28 AM
That episode ended like a cliffhanger. I'm glad it has improved. The only things that bother me at this point is Bill running for office and digging up Roman. I forgot the silly indian plot. How long before the indian runs off to get high and never comes back and Sarah starts taking care of the baby full time?

What did everyone think of the new Teenie?

chairmenmeow47
01-28-2010, 08:30 AM
the new teenie is going to be trouble, BYU style. "sorry you didn't get married in the temple" might has well have been "so sorry you're going to spend the afterlife cast into outer darkness".

faxman75
01-28-2010, 08:33 AM
Burn.....Do you think we'll get more Roman as a ghost scenes? I thought all the stuff with Alby was good this week. He looked so content in bed with the lawyer and it was interesting to see just how heavily homosexuality weighs on him and his spirtuality. He really did want to beleive the lawyer when he told him the gay can only get you here on earth.

bleep
01-28-2010, 08:43 AM
yup, i think more beyond the grave roman grant appearances are in store. he's such a great character (and actor!), he's synonymous with Juniper Creek in many ways.

the palpable chemistry b/w Alby and his lover is hawt. moar of that, please.

chairmenmeow47
01-28-2010, 08:47 AM
yup, i think more beyond the grave roman grant appearances are in store. he's such a great character (and actor!), he's synonymous with Juniper Creek in many ways.

the palpable chemistry b/w Alby and his lover is hawt. moar of that, please.

totally agree with all of this.

i also want to know what sarah's husband thinks about that chick & her baby staying there.

stinkbutt
01-31-2010, 10:58 PM
Bill is such a selfish ass; what happened with Don tonight is fuckin stupid

chairmenmeow47
02-01-2010, 06:14 AM
Bill is such a selfish ass; what happened with Don tonight is fuckin stupid

totally agree. and kicking his own fucking son out.

MusicIsMyBoyfriend
02-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Seriously. Bill has always been a bit dickish, but he was a full fledged asshole last night. It makes it hard to care about his constant struggle to keep his family together, when you sorta think they might be better off without him.

Last night was Margie's episode though. All that stuff with Ben was heavy.

Alligator Bogaloo
02-01-2010, 12:48 PM
totally agree. and kicking his own fucking son out.

The father kicks out the son cycle continues.... Ben with be the new prophet.

bleep
02-01-2010, 01:11 PM
"I want to splurge for my honeys. Let's stay at a Holiday Inn Express."

chairmenmeow47
02-01-2010, 01:16 PM
The father kicks out the son cycle continues.... Ben with be the new prophet.

aren't you a smarty pants, i didn't even think of it that way!!!

and seems like joey will be the new prophet possibly...

i loved that phone call from niki's mom.

MusicIsMyBoyfriend
02-01-2010, 02:14 PM
and seems like joey will be the new prophet possibly....

There was something weird about the expression on Joey's face when he came to the rally and caught that log cabin set for Barb. Was that after JJ showed him the photos of them digging up Roman's body?! Seems like JJ is making some creepy ass power plays.

chairmenmeow47
02-01-2010, 02:18 PM
i thought joey's expression had more to do with the whole thing where him and barb seem to have a crush on each other. the only reason i say that, is i believe they cut to from a conversation dealing with barb & the ben thing right to joey walking up to barb to help with the cabin. i thought that was a sublte hint at hypocrisy, but i could also be reading too much into it lol.

and yeah, what the fuck is JJ thinking?!?!

bleep
02-14-2010, 06:06 PM
shits gone so over the top, i don't believe what i'm watching sometimes. Big Love has taken its soap opera tendencies to a whole new level.

all i can say is poor Alby. :(

faxman75
02-14-2010, 06:58 PM
I agree. I think Bill running for and then winning the nomination might be the "jump the shark" moment. We'll see.

bleep
02-14-2010, 07:06 PM
so, to recap: Nikki fell for Ray, Margene kissed Ben, Anya is now engaged w/ another dude...how long before Barb and the hot Indian hook-up?

chairmenmeow47
02-22-2010, 12:07 PM
how long before Barb and the hot Indian hook-up?

i keep wondering this myself.

also, go lois. her & joey are the only one with any balls in that family.

MusicIsMyBoyfriend
02-22-2010, 01:51 PM
so, to recap: Nikki fell for Ray, Margene kissed Ben, Anya is now engaged w/ another dude...how long before Barb and the hot Indian hook-up?

Hopefully soon, poor stressed out Barb needs to get some. She shoulda made a move in that sweat lodge a few eps back.

Bill's obviously not giving his ladies what they need, so they're going elsewhere. This wouldn't happen in the compound marriages, but Bill married modern women and needs to keep them happy cause they all know what other options are out there in the world for them. If he doesn't pull his head out of his ass soon he could lose them all (a la that other guy from home plus that took the polygamist hit for Bill), because honestly I think Barb is the only one actively trying to keep this family together and she's about to explode.

The whole Mexico thing was crazy.

Alligator Bogaloo
02-22-2010, 01:59 PM
Chopping off the arm of the real prophet is never the answer...

Also, after watching last weeks episode, I'm very hungry for a large shrimp cocktail.

faxman75
02-25-2010, 03:07 PM
The whole Mexico thing was crazy.

I would call it ridiculous. I love how rational everyone was and how Bill was negotiating their escape while Lois stood there with blood all over her.

I still watch though so I guess they are doing something right.

NaughtySquirrel
02-26-2010, 02:25 AM
This is good a place as any for my first post. Been lurking for a few wks. Time to contribute. I absolutely adore this show. One of the best written, acted and directed series out there. Speaking of direction, while television always has been and always will be a producers game, I think the handful of directors who have worked on Big Love have been key to the success of the show. Especially Dan Attias, a veteran tv director (The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, The Wire, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and some lesser shows). He directed at least half of the Season 3 episodes and several of the current season with such deftness and craft. Much of Season 3 felt like an engrossing cinematic experience rather than just some tv drama. Attias came into my office recently and I complimented him on his work while attemping not to fawn. Someone needs to give this man a movie.

I just caught up on all of season 4 (to date). The casino/election plotlines get a bit silly at times, but I'm glad that it started to pick up in the last few episodes. I was getting a bit worried. Season 3 was pretty much as good as television gets, though. I have a hard time imagining them topping it.

bleep
02-28-2010, 06:07 PM
bye bye Sarah. go on and conquer the movie world with your baby doll face.

this episode hit the sweet spot, a nice breather from all the insanity of past weeks. still trying to wrap my head around JJ - what exactly is his devious plan?

and omg Nicolette and her gams. i heart the twisted Grant siblings so, so much.

stinkbutt
03-01-2010, 12:37 AM
This show should wrap up quickly, it doesn't seem to have the material for much longer

chairmenmeow47
03-01-2010, 06:04 AM
i just don't see why anyone willingly stays in this family at this point.

i'm glad the neighbor is back.

bleep
03-07-2010, 06:15 PM
throw in that JJ storyline with the other silly things that contributed to making this season the weakest of the four.

i'll tune in next season, but if Bill has anymore harebrained ideas, i'll scream. let's get back to the core family, none of that convoluted and "sensational" side stories that just rush things to nowhere.

i'm guessing Barb serves the divorce papers next season.

chairmenmeow47
03-08-2010, 08:28 AM
throw in that JJ storyline with the other silly things that contributed to making this season the weakest of the four.

i'll tune in next season, but if Bill has anymore harebrained ideas, i'll scream. let's get back to the core family, none of that convoluted and "sensational" side stories that just rush things to nowhere.

i'm guessing Barb serves the divorce papers next season.

COMPLETELY agree with all of this. worst season yet; way too scattered. some of these stories might have been interesting if they had been developed over time or were not smooshed all together.

i sincerely hope barb would serve some divorce papers but something tells me she'll get roped back into the family somehow...

PlayaDelWes
05-05-2010, 10:32 AM
Found myself in Fillmore the other day and decided to took a detour by the Hendricksons.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4033/4581974262_20488ca4b6_o.jpg

bleep
09-26-2010, 09:12 PM
Sister Wives on TLC = real-life Henricksons, y'all. modern day polygamous family trying to make it work in Utah. the husband has audacious hair, four wives and a shitload of kids.

heart cooks brain
12-29-2010, 02:02 AM
Insomnia led me to watch reruns of last season to refresh my memory for the coming return ina few weeks. Nikki just found Roman in the freezer. This show is hilarious.

faxman75
12-29-2010, 06:12 AM
I forgot when it was coming back. This is good news. I love me some polygamy.

chairmenmeow47
12-29-2010, 07:33 AM
january 16th. i too have watched the reruns on demand. i think i liked the last season more the second time around, but it's still not my favourite. i guess this upcoming season is the final season.

heart cooks brain
12-29-2010, 11:41 AM
january 16th. i too have watched the reruns on demand. i think i liked the last season more the second time around, but it's still not my favourite. i guess this upcoming season is the final season.

i thought last season was really good. maybe not the best, and bill running for state senator was royally stupid, but they have to up the ante or we'd get bored.

I really liked when barb got excommunicated in season 3. i lapped up her despair.

shermanoaksyo
12-29-2010, 12:09 PM
bill running for state senator was royally stupid

ridiculously stupid - there are episodes of Saved By The Bell with more accurate depictions of an election. they need to avoid subjects that they know nothing about. I love the acting on this show, but the plot becomes more like a soap opera's every year.

RageAgainstTheAoki
12-29-2010, 12:53 PM
ridiculously stupid - there are episodes of Saved By The Bell with more accurate depictions of an election. they need to avoid subjects that they know nothing about. I love the acting on this show, but the plot becomes more like a soap opera's every year.

Just finished watching the 4th season on demand. Gotta agree. While I was still hooked after every episode, the entire election plot was ridiculous. I thought Season 3 was the strongest so far; mostly because of Chloe Sevigny's work. By the way...uhhh... did you hear that Chloe likes birthdays?

S-LRITaHUbI

heart cooks brain
12-29-2010, 05:04 PM
She does such a good job. I am never completely sure which angle she is working. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if she were either.

heart cooks brain
12-30-2010, 02:28 AM
"I have 7 mothers, and you aren't one of them!"

"Does anyone care that my mother is marrying my ex-husband?"

yes.

weareyourfriends
12-30-2010, 08:20 AM
I've been watching the last season but I just bought the entire first season on iTunes to get caught up! I'll watch the rest of the seasons On Demand. Soo good!

bleep
01-30-2011, 08:30 AM
"Bill Henrickson, you are a liar! You are a liar because...you lie!"

oi, this show. anyone still watching? just got caught up with the first two eps.

thewoodenman
01-30-2011, 08:56 AM
my gf has taken over the tv with this show. it can be surprisingly entertaining. marg's crying scenes are laughable though.

chairmenmeow47
01-30-2011, 09:36 AM
"Bill Henrickson, you are a liar! You are a liar because...you lie!"

oi, this show. anyone still watching? just got caught up with the first two eps.

that was bad. but yes, still watching. marg's crying was supposed to be laughable i think.

faxman75
02-07-2011, 11:15 AM
I did some catching up on the first three episodes this season. I kinda liked what I saw but yes some of it's retread. I think i'm most fascinated in Niki's new purpose and her daughter. It's interesting to see she knows how ot manipulate just as well as her daughter does too.

I think Alby's control is laughable and I didn't quite buy that Adeline would be so quick to return to her sons side whe she could have started this new and exciting life with her daughter and grand daughter and of course the support of Bill.

I also thought the return to the Casino was a bit silly with it looking like a dingy night club all of the suddent. I mean, it went from being a new and exciting endeavor to a place that looked like the shittiest strip club in the world over night.

I also would rather they fleshed out the big conference with all of the Mormon leaders a bit more before it blew up on Bill's face. I was very intrigued to hear all the personalities and thought we might have some sophistication instead of a circus but apparently not. I've watched every episode so i'm not going anywhere.

nathanfairchild
02-07-2011, 11:52 AM
I've started to despise Barb.

heart cooks brain
02-09-2011, 02:27 PM
I've always despised all of them. That's the beauty of the show. The sense that they are all teetering on the edge of oblivion. I can't wait for the final destruction.

pinkladyam
02-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Yea, so no one has mentioned the fact that trashy Margene was only 16 when she started banging Bill....I hate the way she tries to turn her guilt back onto the family and totally ignores the fact that this can ruin everything! Anyway, just found this thread...and I'm obsessed with Big Love.

nathanfairchild
02-10-2011, 08:33 PM
and are they seriously trying to pass Margene off as 21? we aren't that dumb.

pinkladyam
02-10-2011, 09:23 PM
and are they seriously trying to pass Margene off as 21? we aren't that dumb.

lmao! i didn't know she was supposed to be THAT young. gross.

RageAgainstTheAoki
02-14-2011, 12:45 AM
I think I'm up-to-date. The last episode I saw was the one in which Bill gets sworn in. Man, I'm going to miss this show. That being said, I really wish they had had Bill lose the election in the last season. This whole elected official plot is so ridiculous. Man, Barb frustrates me so much. Such a beautiful, soulful woman who lacks the backbone to leave this marriage. Someone should lend her a copy of A Doll's House.

Okay, anyone else with me on this? Something is definitely going to happen with math teacher. Whether it's with Niki, her daughter or even Margene... something is going to happen. They do such a great job with casting on this show; even the tiniest supporting roles. They didn't hire Christian Campbell, an actor who looks like this...
http://weblogs.variety.com/.a/6a00d8341bfc7553ef0134864bd4bf970c-320wi
...to play a dedicated and kind high school math teacher in Utah if they weren't planning on things getting a bit morally ambiguous.

Also, did anyone else think that there could be a potential spark between the new husband of Rhonda (the runaway former child bride of Roman Grant) and Alby? After they tried to bribe Alby and they were leaving his office there was a look between the two men. Hmmm....

faxman75
02-17-2011, 07:34 AM
I think you're maybe one episode behind. I would love to discuss the last episode but I don't want to ruin or spoil it for you.

Lets just say it played very much like a season finale with two big events taking place and one a little more shocking than the other. We still have at least 6 or 7 episodes left, right? Just checked it's 5 more episodes.

I guess i'll go googling.

chairmenmeow47
02-17-2011, 07:38 AM
well i am going to discuss the most recent episode, so scroll if you don't want to read...

i too believe this political storyline is ridiculous. the swearing in was painful to watch, so fucking cheesy.

i too think something is up with the math teacher.

i think that was fucked up of margene, but i also like how don pointed out that bill was obsessed with her. she was still too young for him at her real age IMO. the legal thing is more of a technicality.

rhonda's shakedown was pathetic, i lol'd at that. and "albyite" that was funny.

i sincerely hope barb divorces bill, but the fact that the writers called this season "a valentine" to the fans make me think she'll stay for some stupid reason.

bleep
02-17-2011, 07:41 AM
the most recent episode was quality. more of that, please.
first time in a long time that i actually liked Barb in an episode.
and Lois with dementia is pretty heartbreaking. the actress who plays her is ace.

chairmenmeow47
02-17-2011, 07:43 AM
completely agree about lois. my grandmother had dementia. scary stuff.

faxman75
02-17-2011, 07:52 AM
ha ha ha albyite, I almost forgot about that. Very funny. The next episode is apparently called D.I.V.O.R.C.E. and I assume the rest of the family will be let in on it. I definitely agree that the political storyline is awful and pretty much doomed this show.

Don calling out Bill over Margene was great. I love the moral superiority Don displayed and Bill really looked like a schmuck ha.

The math teacher done fucked up by letting that manipulative little girl in his house. He has acted entirely appropriate up to that point though and I don't think he will do otherwise, though he is definitely screwed and dragged into this drama now. I think he'll be used and disposed of.

I'm also not sure I care about Ben and and what's her face hooking up. It seemed so cheezy and obvious. Ben seems like he has a 24/7 boner that leads him around in his decision making skills. I'm sure he'll be all angry and get some big scenes when it comes to the divorce talks as well.

Roman Grant was the best part of the show in my opinion and I would absolutely love to see a prequel type series that spent time on the earlier days of the compound leading up to when Bill and Nikki first fall in love. The compound life fascinates me to no end.

faxman75
02-22-2011, 10:49 AM
So, while I was watching this weeks installment I was baffled by Don looked absolutely fine and back to being Bill's loyal friend. I had to pause it and make sure I was right that I understood what I saw last week. I mean, Don was supposedly beat within an inch of his life but here he is talking to Bill without a scratch on his face. Then he finally addresses it a scene or two later.

Crazy odd.

Aside form that this was my favorite episode of the season. I love that the teacher and Niki's daughter are hooking up. I love that Ben wants to save Rhonda Volmer now that he sees she's helplessly trapped in a dirty hooker job. Awesome stuff. Grace aka Lois acted her ASS off in that episode and was absolutely brilliant.

I really enjoyed the discussion that finally took place about the Barb's views. The writing was strong for Bill's passionate speech and I believed in what he was saying 100% about sticking to an original doctrine.

Alby and Rhonda's man kissing was just awkward. Alby wasn't even kissing back but he knew he had a pet after that.

I think i'll actually miss this show when it's gone. Less government nonsense though i do like one aspect of it and it's the relations between all the different mormon sects.

chairmenmeow47
02-22-2011, 10:53 AM
yeah, i thought the same thing about don. i knew the second rhonda was on the phone and ben was in the kitchen making food for her, shit was about to go down there. gross. what the fuck ben, WHAT THE FUCK?!

also love that the teacher & caroline are hooking up. though, they should have made her more slutty. and nikki trying to learn calculus was kinda funny. the alby kiss was awkward.

while i get bill's point, it's kind of hard to make that point when your entire religion is based off of changing christianity's beliefs, who changed judaic beliefs... where are the lines drawn? i am personally on barb's team, even though i don't get the religion at all.

faxman75
02-22-2011, 11:41 AM
yeah, i thought the same thing about don. i knew the second rhonda was on the phone and ben was in the kitchen making food for her, shit was about to go down there. gross. what the fuck ben, WHAT THE FUCK?!

It is so wrong, I love it.

also love that the teacher & caroline are hooking up. though, they should have made her more slutty. and nikki trying to learn calculus was kinda funny. the alby kiss was awkward.

yes, yes. Though I like that they didn't make her more slutty it was a more realistic. I felt true love between them ha ha ha. Margine giving her advice too, classic!

while i get bill's point, it's kind of hard to make that point when your entire religion is based off of changing christianity's beliefs, who changed judaic beliefs... where are the lines drawn? i am personally on barb's team, even though i don't get the religion at all.

I see that and you're right, at this point original scriptures are so dilluted who cares anymore. I guess that's why Bill caved. Did I catch that, him adding Pioneer to the name of the church means he is compromising with Barb or is that not what I should have been getting out of that? What's the rest of their little congregation going to think?

wmgaretjax
02-28-2011, 11:38 PM
bill and barb getting divorced just before she's brought in by the police was a pretty brilliant move... it would have been less poetic to have niki be the one testify against bill.

nathanfairchild
03-06-2011, 10:19 PM
how the fuck are they gonna wrap all this up in the last 2 episodes?

chairmenmeow47
03-07-2011, 01:38 PM
i was busy doing other things while trying to watch last night, but nikki kidnapped again? really?

faxman75
03-08-2011, 06:23 AM
What a crazy, frantic and seemingly rushed episode. I liked it but you can tell they want to wrap a lot of things up in a short period of time. I was really really hoping Alby would just kill Nikki for some shock value and then step outside and kill himself. No such luck though. Alby's character is often unbelievable. He makes me miss Roman Grant who was a far more interesting nemesis IMO.

The Teacher and Nikki's daughter (I can never remember her name). I really thought these scenes were the highlights of the episode. Specifically the scene where Margene follows her to the teachers house and goes off on the teacher. Probably some of the best acting i've ever seen out of Ginnifer Goodwin.

I chuckled at the cross accusations of the family and Margie's juice boss calling eachother cults.

Don selling his shares to Alby seems far fetched. Nikki continuing her savior efforts was mildly amusing as well, gotta love her ambtion though. Also, the Bill vs Alby power struggle is even tired. 'I'm going to get you' .... ' NO, i'm going to get YOU'. The constant one upping makes it come across like an episode of Dynasty with Alby playing the role of Alexis (Joan Collins). Did I just reference Dynasty? Yikes.

anyway, 2 more weeks to go. I care about what happens to Bill as well as the relationship between Nikki's daughter and the teacher. Oh and I also thought Heather was particularly good in this episode and I lol'd at Barb throwing the cake at the window.

casey
03-08-2011, 07:20 AM
The Teacher and Nikki's daughter (I can never remember her name). I really thought these scenes were the highlights of the episode. Specifically the scene where Margene follows her to the teachers house and goes off on the teacher. Probably some of the best acting i've ever seen out of Ginnifer Goodwin.

Her name is Cara Lynn (I only remember because I saw it on my DVR) and I thought those scenes were the best as well. I used to think that Nikki always stole the show with her acting, but lately I'm thinking Margene has been. And did it creep anyone else out that Cara Lynn told Margene that it was Mr. Ivy's first time too? Ack!

I am kind of nervous about how this all will end. There are only two episodes left and SO MUCH left to get through. I haven't really decided how I would like it to end, but I'm really starting to wonder if they can get through it all in a way that feels satisfactory to the viewer. I guess we'll see.

faxman75
03-15-2011, 12:11 PM
Easily the best episode of the season and probably top 3 of the entire series. I loved the way the showdown scene was shot (no pun intended) too in the long and dark hallway between Bill and Alby. Chloe Sevigny and Ginnifer Goodwin acted brilliantly in this episode. Margene's became my favorite of the three wives this season surpassing Nicki. Also Bill Paxton finally came through with an epic performance, his I'm fighting for this family speech and blow up at Nicki about over the "statutory rape" word was phenomenal. I can't wait to see next week.

chairmenmeow47
03-15-2011, 12:29 PM
i'm sorry, someone would actually want to be married to a person like nikki? i think this explains some of your past issues, mark :p bitch put the family tens of thousands of dollars in debt, conspired with her father against the family, went on dates with another guy & talks to her children horribly. you'd marry THAT (prior to this margene revelation)?!

i liked alby's pussy-ass whimper when he got shot. you could tell something was going to happen at the gas station, the look on alby's face was perfect. i also loved barb holding the gun to adalene. barb is definitely the most level-headed of the wives. margene wouldn't have had the balls to grab the gun & nikki would have probably shot without a second thought or would have sided with her mom lol. i also thought it was funny when nikki whispered for bill to shoot alby.

that conversation nikki had with her daughter was horrible. just horrible. i know she's a minor, but damn, that daughter (carolyn or whatever) has been through a LOT. she was essentially brought up to believe she'd marry at a young age and seems to be fairly smart. i can't imagine how devastated she must have felt that mr. ivy was turned in. i'm not saying i condone what they're doing, but at a certain point, you can kind of understand it. it certainly doesn't seem like he "seduced" her.

and i feel so bad for the neighbor lady. man, carl trying to kill himself, that's brutal. i'd be pissed at margene too for talking me into this juice thing and then giving up, but she shouldn't have invested in the first place.

i don't know about top 3 of the series. this episode also felt rushed. i didn't like bill's whole "i'm fighting for the family and you're not" thing. he certainly does not seem to trust his wife if she wants the priesthood and is trying to force her to make a choice between the family or the priesthood. that's not exactly fighting for the family at any cost.

faxman75
03-15-2011, 01:25 PM
i'm sorry, someone would actually want to be married to a person like nikki? i think this explains some of your past issues, mark :p bitch put the family tens of thousands of dollars in debt, conspired with her father against the family, went on dates with another guy & talks to her children horribly. you'd marry THAT (prior to this margene revelation)?!

I realized after I wrote and submitted it, that it was damn near a perfect description of the person I was engaged too. The biggest similarity was they were both master manipulators. So I took my new found attraction to Margene as a healthy sign. I'm done with crazy! No way in hell I could survive in a relationship with Nicki.

that conversation nikki had with her daughter was horrible. just horrible. i know she's a minor, but damn, that daughter (carolyn or whatever) has been through a LOT. she was essentially brought up to believe she'd marry at a young age and seems to be fairly smart. i can't imagine how devastated she must have felt that mr. ivy was turned in. i'm not saying i condone what they're doing, but at a certain point, you can kind of understand it. it certainly doesn't seem like he "seduced" her.

Agree with all of this 100%.

i don't know about top 3 of the series. this episode also felt rushed. i didn't like bill's whole "i'm fighting for the family and you're not" thing. he certainly does not seem to trust his wife if she wants the priesthood and is trying to force her to make a choice between the family or the priesthood. that's not exactly fighting for the family at any cost.

I see your point but they seem to hold religion and scripture to a higher regard than anything else in the entire world so Bill's hung up on the fact that Barb's exploration is the biggest threat his family faces. I figure with this wrapping up they were going to either rush things along or leave a lot of open ended storylines. I prefer the sped up as I was on the edge of my seat the entire episode! Politics, gun fights, explosive arguments, passionate religious arguments and statutory rape chages. I loved all the drama.

What did you think about the Ben, Heather and Rhonda drama? I lol'd when Ben suggested they could all be together. Maybe a little predictable but still funny to see none the less.

chairmenmeow47
03-15-2011, 01:33 PM
definitely better than how deadwood ended, that's for sure.

i lol'd at that too. he almost had her on board too. i just thought that whole scene was too dramatic. rhonda walks out JUST as ben is spilling the beans. if she wouldn't have been around, the conversation would have gone much better. "every time you sleep with him, he'll compare you to me", BARF

faxman75
03-15-2011, 01:39 PM
I agree the dramatics were definitely overplayed in that scene and then Rhonda's comment was the icing on the cake. Man that chick is evil and another master manipulator.

nathanfairchild
03-16-2011, 10:33 AM
just watched this episode last night. i don't know who plays carolyn, but the scene with her burning her books was some damn good acting.

chairmenmeow47
03-16-2011, 10:34 AM
agreed, i like that girl. i love when she tells mr. ivy she loves him while looking at her mom.

RageAgainstTheAoki
03-20-2011, 07:52 PM
SPOILERS AHEAD (Duh)

So what did everyone think of the final ep? I'm not a big fan of epilogues; they feel so artificial. I know people would have complained about an ambiguous ending, but if they'd left it with Bill dying on the street and Barb giving him his final blessing we'd know that she would now hold the priesthood and that the family would, in some way, go on. Gotta say, Dan Attias is such a great director. The episodes he directed dating back to season 3 were the best in the series. My favorite moment was the three sister wives driving in the mini cooper. Just beautifully executed.

While I was pretty engrossed during every episode, I'm not sad to see the show ending. Season 3 was an absolute high point and then season 4 brought us the ridiculous election and casino plotlines. I don't think they really recovered from those ridiculous diversions in season 5. Even if the writing suffered, we still got amazing performances; especially from the sister wives.

faxman75
03-21-2011, 07:26 AM
I loved the ending. I thought it was done really well. If it ends after Bill gets shot and you never know if he lives or dies it would have been far less satisfying. I really liked seeing how strong they were and supportive of eachother in the aftermath of Bill's death. I would actually call this one of the better series finales of a TV show.

I would love a prequel series or a spinoff called The Compound or something.

thestripe
03-21-2011, 07:45 AM
Yeah, I thought it was great. Especially when you piece together that Bill was going to give Barb the priesthood even before he was gunned down. Billís redemptive qualities make his death that much more sad.

casey
03-21-2011, 07:46 AM
i didn't read anything after spoilers ahead (duh) because my boyfriend and i were watching the episode last night and twenty mins in the power WENT OUT ...and the DVR messed up in the process!!!! ugh. so i will watch it today on demand and then come here but i have been thinking about it all morning!!!!

RageAgainstTheAoki
03-21-2011, 08:22 AM
Yeah, I thought it was great. Especially when you piece together that Bill was going to give Barb the priesthood even before he was gunned down. Billís redemptive qualities make his death that much more sad.

There was a lot going on in this last episode, so maybe I missed this but how did you piece together that Bill was going to give Barb the priesthood before being gunned down?

thestripe
03-21-2011, 08:47 AM
I might be wrong, but this is how I understood it.

Bill had been having visions on Joe Smith's old lady this whole season. But it was the one in his church that changed him. The vision helped him understand that the role of the wives were more important than he'd allowed himself to accept. Next we see Bill outside writing a letter (to his wives). I think the ultimate purpose of this letter was to grant Barb the priesthood, when the time came for Bill to go to jail. This is confirmed when Ben comes outside to talk to Bill about what happened during service. Bill tells Ben that he had been graced, and that ďMe and your mother are going to be Ok nowĒ. Bill then asks Barb to give him a blessing after he was shot. After Billís death Barb is shown having just given her grandson a blessing. Barb tells her daughter ďThis would not have been possible without your fatherĒ.

I might be way off.

RageAgainstTheAoki
03-21-2011, 08:57 AM
Oh okay. Yeah, I can see that. I thought Bill might have been writing his next sermon rather than a letter to his wives. I mean, why would be he be writing them a letter as opposed to having a family meeting? He had no way of knowing that he'd be gunned down moments later. Well, this is all speculation, of course. We'll never know what he wrote just as we'll never know if these women manage to stay together as a family or split. It's fun to guess, though.

wmgaretjax
03-21-2011, 09:11 AM
yeah, i thought he was writing a sermon as well... i thought the vision stuff and his comments to Ben were implying that Bill had decided that his role in all this had changed... i thought the implication was he would inevitably move towards a "prophet" type role. i think the finale was much more damning of bill than you did.

thestripe
03-21-2011, 10:32 AM
Yeah, either way I think it ended well.

chairmenmeow47
03-21-2011, 10:33 AM
haven't watched yet. going crazy at work. i cannot wait to get home and watch. i re-watched the last few this weekend while doing housework.

RageAgainstTheAoki
03-22-2011, 07:53 PM
I haven't heard this yet, but I'm definitely gonna check it out soon...

'Big Love's Creators Deconstruct The Show's Finale on Fresh Air ('http://www.npr.org/2011/03/21/134661696/big-loves-creators-deconstruct-the-shows-finale).

faxman75
03-22-2011, 08:21 PM
I'm listening to it now.

chairmenmeow47
03-23-2011, 09:07 AM
i agree with the stripe. when i saw joseph smith's wife in the church, i thought a lot of the same things. throughout bill's entire life, he has found strength in women, not men. it would only make sense to me that he would eventually empower them with the priesthood.

the epilogue was pointless. i mean, it's nice to know sarah had a kid and that ben & heather appear to be ok and that margene finally got to do some traveling, but it wasn't necessary. i kept thinking the entire season that it was nuts no one besides alby went after him, so i think the ending made sense.

also, the conversation with nikki & barb was hilarious. i like when barb kept saying "i know".

i also agree that it was time for the show to end and it had been on a decline since season three. i do think seasons two and three were my favourite of the show.

also, i really wish bill would have given carolyn his blessing to marry mr. ivy.

faxman75
03-23-2011, 09:19 AM
I got bored listening to the Fresh Air bit about halfway through. They lost me when they said one ending they were considering was having Barb die of cancer and then get casted off into the sea or some shit. I actually liked the epilogue. It was interesting to see that after them all having their own independant ideas and differences that they decided their bond was too strong to break and that family was still the most important thing to them all.

chairmenmeow47
03-23-2011, 09:24 AM
and i cried with louis & frank :x

casey
03-23-2011, 10:32 AM
Wow, what an ending. I liked the final episode and thought it wrapped up well too. I also think the epilogue was kind of dumb. I think it would have been way more powerful to just have Bill be in and out of consciousness, having Barb be the last person he sees and the person who is giving him the blessing, etc. I also wanted Bill to give Cara Lynn his blessing to marry Mr. Ivy, or at least pursue it...but I'm glad that Nikki and Cara Lynn got a chance to actually make amends, real amends.

I cried with Lois and Frank too. A LOT. What a twisted relationship the two of them have, but so fascinating at the same time.

I also got kinda teary when Bill started to get mad at Barb for certain things that they didn't reveal in the shows before, like the part about the car and how they had it before Barb got cancer, before they had more wives, etc. There was something really sentimental and sweet about that, which I didn't feel we had seen a lot of in the past from Bill.

I too am okay with it ending. It had a good run, anything more may have just gotten too convoluted and crazy.

nathanfairchild
03-23-2011, 10:55 AM
I liked the ending for the most part. I kinda knew that someone would be killed off just because of timing. I think the epilogue was a little pointless and felt like they just threw it in there to say, "see, everyone is gonna be fine, oh and Sarah's here with a baby." But overall I did like it. I wish that they could've done more to wrap up the conflict with Alby(sp?) and the compound though. Still better than The Sopranos ending.

RageAgainstTheAoki
03-23-2011, 12:23 PM
Better than The Sopranos ending? Really? Why do so many people want everything wrapped up nicely with a bow at the end? That's not how life works. The Sopranos ending was brilliant. This little epilogue at the end of Big Love felt so forced and conventional. Kind of a shame for such an unconventional show. I do love that Bill gave Barb the priesthood, though.

faxman75
03-23-2011, 12:31 PM
See, and I liked both the Sporanos and the Big Love ending. I thought they both worked. I didn't want to wonder if they all drifted apart at the end of big love. I loved the Sopranos ending because it gave me the impression that life was going to continue as usual for them. Always tension and stress and it all comes with the territory.

It might almost be time for me to watch the entire Sopranos series again. It's been a number of years. That might be the 2nd best TV Drama of all time right behind the Wire.