PDA

View Full Version : BAD ALBUMS BY GOOD ARTISTS...

C DUB YA
06-11-2007, 12:22 PM
So I'm working on a feature about bad albums from good artists. What say you guys? I'll get you started:

R.E.M. - Reveal
New Order - Waiting On the Sirens Call
Happy Mondays - Yes Please
Suede - New Morning
David Bowie - Never Let Me Down

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
06-11-2007, 03:04 PM
Smashing Pumpkins : Adore
David Bowie : Everything From Never Let Me Down until Tin Machine Then Everything After Outside and Earthling.

algunz
06-11-2007, 03:38 PM
U2 - Zooropa

joppy-slow
06-11-2007, 04:44 PM
U2 - Zooropa

I liked Zooropa - I would say Pop was an album I never ever listen to.

how bout,

Jurrasic 5 - Feedback

BT - This Binary Universe

leo01g
06-11-2007, 04:51 PM
Interpol - Antics
This cd was nothing compared to Turn On the Bright Lights

woogie846
06-11-2007, 06:43 PM
I actually liked Antics a lot.

thelastgreatman
06-11-2007, 06:47 PM
Yeah, you're fucking insane. Antics > Turn On by about a mile.

leo01g
06-11-2007, 09:00 PM
Yeah, you're fucking insane. Antics > Turn On by about a mile.

no way! why because it has slow hands or evil?
Turn on has the best Interpol songs
I guess we'll have to wait to see how the next album is going to be.

mistdevil
06-11-2007, 09:23 PM
INTERPOL ROCKS EITHER WAY EITHER ALBUM!

leo01g
06-11-2007, 09:28 PM
thats true

Deviate_420
06-11-2007, 09:38 PM
Daft Punk- Alive 2006

algunz
06-11-2007, 09:41 PM
Daft Punk- Alive 2006

You're askin' for trouble on this board.

leo01g
06-11-2007, 09:41 PM
You're askin' for trouble on this board.

i think he's trying to be funny

Deviate_420
06-11-2007, 09:44 PM
Its not as bad as Awake by the Arcade Fire........

algunz
06-11-2007, 09:56 PM
Gotcha.

noisemachine
06-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Lou Reed- Metal Machine Music

noisemachine
06-11-2007, 10:13 PM
The Clash- Cut the Crap

noisemachine
06-11-2007, 10:17 PM
Oh, and how can I forget...

The Stooges- The Weirdness

PassiveTheory
06-11-2007, 10:25 PM
RHCP - Stadium Arcadium

Take the angst out of Anthony Kieldis' lyrics and no matter the fact that Flea and John Frusciante have ended their musical bitchfest, it's still terrible.

krunchy
06-12-2007, 06:37 AM
Nine inch nails - a-with-a-teeth-a

Bill O'Reilly
06-12-2007, 06:53 AM
Lou Reed- Metal Machine Music

it serves its purpose and it serves it well...fuck i forgot to turn off my alias...

Bill O'Reilly
06-12-2007, 06:54 AM
Oh, and how can I forget...

The Stooges- The Weirdness

yeah its shit...

KenMixtape
06-12-2007, 06:54 AM
shriekback - go bang (killed them...)

Deviate_420
06-12-2007, 06:56 AM
Nevermind-Nirvana

OK Computer- Radiohead

Aenema- Tool

The Joshua Tree- U2

leo01g
06-12-2007, 09:12 AM
Nevermind-Nirvana

OK Computer- Radiohead

Aenema- Tool

The Joshua Tree- U2

wtf?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
06-12-2007, 10:20 AM
wtf?

I think it's a joke at least I am hoping...

leo01g
06-12-2007, 10:28 AM
I think it's a joke at least I am hoping...

yeah this has to be a joke

higgybaby23
06-12-2007, 12:16 PM
DJ Shadow - "The Outsider"

Shadow's weakest outing yet.

Can I get an amen?

algunz
06-12-2007, 12:38 PM
amen

John Peel is My Co-pilot
06-12-2007, 03:03 PM
Oasis - Be Here Now
Prince - pretty much everything after Diamonds and Pearls
Pink Floyd - The Final Cut
Brian Wilson - Smile
Depeche Mode - Exciter

bumper31
06-12-2007, 03:40 PM
Oasis - Be Here Now
Brian Wilson - Smile
Depeche Mode - Exciter

You see a lot of these are so obvious to kick...but give them time.....yeah...they're not the strongest output.....or they may not live up to the artists best music.....or they may even be quite experimental......but on further listening some are underrated

sydaud
06-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Oasis - Be Here Now
Brian Wilson - Smile
Depeche Mode - Exciter

Oh come on----SMILE???? Smile is not a bad album at all.....especially compared to other solo releases by Brian Wilson.

Here are some truly bad albums by great artists:

Self Portrait---Bob Dylan
Lumpy Gravy---Frank Zappa
I'm Your Man---Leonard Cohen
Life---Neil Young (or Greendale by Neil Young)

captncrzy
06-12-2007, 03:48 PM
You're dead on about Exciter...u beat me to it!

crazzz2007
06-12-2007, 04:01 PM
No Strings Attached - 'N Sync

Pixiessp
06-12-2007, 07:52 PM
Interpol - Antics
This cd was nothing compared to Turn On the Bright Lights

I agree so vehemently.

Pixiessp
06-12-2007, 07:54 PM
Daft Punk- Alive 2006

you must die!!!

saxomophone
06-12-2007, 08:29 PM
Smashing Pumpkins : Adore
You crazy! That's one of their best. Although, the first time I heard it, I hated it.

gibsonguy20
06-12-2007, 08:45 PM
By the Way - RHCP not near as funky and lacked good old slap bass
A Bigger Bang - The Rolling Stones not the stones i fell in love with

summerkid
06-12-2007, 08:57 PM
Oasis - Be Here Now

Brian Wilson - Smile

What? Smile was great.

sydaud
06-12-2007, 10:32 PM
By the Way - RHCP not near as funky and lacked good old slap bass
A Bigger Bang - The Rolling Stones not the stones i fell in love with

With the exception of "Greendale", I tried to stay away from older artists new albums, but yes, I would agree that "A Bigger Bang" is goddamn awful.....

John Peel is My Co-pilot
06-12-2007, 11:20 PM
What? Smile was great.

You are joking aren't you? An Emperor's New Clothes of an album. Self-indulgent playground nonsense for most of it, with a far far inferior version of Good Vibrations.

If not for Heroes and Villains (still magnificent) it'd have next to no redeeming features. Each to his own I guess, and I may be in a minority, but it's still one of a very small list of albums I've taken back to the store to exchange.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
06-13-2007, 09:00 AM
You crazy! That's one of their best. Although, the first time I heard it, I hated it.

NO by Far the weakest of all the SP albums...I was a huge SP when it came out and even though I still listen to a few songs..it is the worst of all the SP albums...though "Pug" is by far one of my favorite SP songs...

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
06-13-2007, 09:00 AM
I agree so vehemently.

was still good though...

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
06-13-2007, 09:01 AM
Oh come on----SMILE???? Smile is not a bad album at all.....especially compared to other solo releases by Brian Wilson.

Here are some truly bad albums by great artists:

Self Portrait---Bob Dylan
Lumpy Gravy---Frank Zappa
I'm Your Man---Leonard Cohen
Life---Neil Young (or Greendale by Neil Young)

OMG! I forgot about Lumpy Gravy!! I still have that damn thing!!

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
06-13-2007, 09:01 AM
No Strings Attached - 'N Sync

HA!

C DUB YA
06-13-2007, 09:28 AM
DJ Shadow - "The Outsider"

Shadow's weakest outing yet.

Can I get an amen?

amen

C DUB YA
06-13-2007, 09:33 AM
Oasis - Be Here Now
Brian Wilson - Smile
Depeche Mode - Exciter

Yeah Exciter is barely listenable.

I also think MJ's Invincable and Duran Duran's Astronaut are big huge turds...

Let's see what else...

Stevie Wonder's - Journey Through the Life of Plants
Inxs - anything after Kick
Billy Idol's Cyberpunk
Queen - Hot Space or Jazz
Suede - Head Music
SP - Adore
The Who - Endless Wire
Jane's - Strays

???

rampaige
06-13-2007, 10:02 AM
SP - Adore

Machina is way worse than Adore. I thought Adore at least had a unique sound, and it grew on me with repeated listenings. But Machina was crap rock from beginning to end. Although I did like that Stand Inside Your Love song.

I'm kinda worried cause the new SP single sounds like something that could've come off Machina. I hope it is not indicative of the sound of the entire album.

C DUB YA
06-13-2007, 10:10 AM
Machina is way worse than Adore. I thought Adore at least had a unique sound, and it grew on me with repeated listenings. But Machina was crap rock from beginning to end. Although I did like that Stand Inside Your Love song.

I'm kinda worried cause the new SP single sounds like something that could've come off Machina. I hope it is not indicative of the sound of the entire album.

Yeah either one of those for me, pick your poison if you will. And I also think Trantual sound like something from one of those records.

oh and did you see the Transformers Soundtrack line-up - ugh, nice Billy, real nice, way to get your reunion in there with the other crap

Linkin Park - 'What I've Done'
Smashing Pumpkins - 'Doomsday Clock'
Disturbed - 'This Moment'
Goo Goo Dolls - 'Before It's Too Late' (Sam and Mikaela's Theme)
The Used - 'Pretty Handsome Awkward'
HIM - 'Passion's Killing Floor'
Taking Back Sunday - 'What It Feels Like To Be A Ghost'
Styles Of Beyond - 'Second To None'
Armor For Sleep - 'End Of The World'
Idiot Pilot - 'Retina And The Sky'
Julien-K - 'Technical Difficulties'
Mute Math - 'Transformers Theme'.

Tylerdurden31
06-13-2007, 10:22 AM

this album gets way more crap than it deserves...it's pretty solid if you ask me

Bloc Party - A Weekend in the City
The Cooper Temple Clause - Make This Your Own
Don Caballero - World Class Listening Problem (proof that Damon Che isn't the only important member of Don Cab)
The Mars Volta - Amputechture

sydaud
06-13-2007, 10:53 AM
You are joking aren't you? An Emperor's New Clothes of an album. Self-indulgent playground nonsense for most of it, with a far far inferior version of Good Vibrations.

If not for Heroes and Villains (still magnificent) it'd have next to no redeeming features. Each to his own I guess, and I may be in a minority, but it's still one of a very small list of albums I've taken back to the store to exchange.

That's too bad you feel that way....there are some terrific songs on Smile---Wonderful, Surf's Up, Wind Chimes and (call me crazy) Vega-Tables.

I will agree that the new lyrics to Good Vibrations are lousy and the performance pales isn't nearly as good as the original.

If Wilson was willing to re-record Smile, he should have just gone through the damn tapes and pieced it together from the original, but that's just me.

noisemachine
06-13-2007, 11:09 AM
The lyrics on Good Vibrations on SMiLE are the original lyrics...they changed them for the original single and the version that went on Smiley Smile. I think they are both interesting.

And SMiLE is great, even if it is different from what it would have originally been. I mean, Surf's Up has to be one of my all time favorite songs and the version of it on SMiLE is magnificent. The whole album is great- give it another chance. It took me quite a few listens to fully recognize its genius.

sydaud
06-13-2007, 11:22 AM
The lyrics on Good Vibrations on SMiLE are the original lyrics...they changed them for the original single and the version that went on Smiley Smile. I think they are both interesting.

And SMiLE is great, even if it is different from what it would have originally been. I mean, Surf's Up has to be one of my all time favorite songs and the version of it on SMiLE is magnificent. The whole album is great- give it another chance. It took me quite a few listens to fully recognize its genius.

Right about the lyrics---oddly enough, the Mike Love lyrics (which are the single lyrics) are the lyrics that I enjoy more.

And believe me, I was happier than anything that he finally did it and when I saw him perform in live, it was pure bliss. Just having had a boot of the original for so long, I would just like the peace of mind of knowing how he really would have sequenced what they got on tape in early 67...

C DUB YA
06-13-2007, 04:06 PM
Ok my feature is up - obviously well up for a debate judging by this post...
So cruise over to Drink Moloko! I took a stab at naming (listing) the top 25 Bad Albums Made By Good Artists.

Feel free to leave comments, hate mail, suggestions, additions, arguements... after all, that's what it's there for. Discussion for us music nerds.

I'll cop you the linky. its on both the home page and under the music section.

http://www.drinkmoloko.com/v2/

thanks - CW

amyzzz
06-13-2007, 04:27 PM
I can't listen to the latest Morrissey album.

superfiction
06-13-2007, 10:04 PM

machina and adore are my favorites.

and tarantula sounds nothing like them. it was the tone on those records that made it so great. that electronic tinge.

adore infact is one of my favorites of all time.

maybe im jsut weird.

and im not gonna get into it about smile. its amazing. if it had come out when it was supposed to. people would be like...beatles who?

John Peel is My Co-pilot
06-14-2007, 12:45 AM
Yeah Exciter is barely listenable.

I also think MJ's Invincable and Duran Duran's Astronaut are big huge turds...

Let's see what else...

Stevie Wonder's - Journey Through the Life of Plants
Inxs - anything after Kick
Billy Idol's Cyberpunk
Queen - Hot Space or Jazz
Suede - Head Music
SP - Adore
The Who - Endless Wire
Jane's - Strays

???

I'm with you on most of these (keep Jazz, lose Hot Space - ugh!), but IMO Inxs' album Welcome To Wherever You Are is better than Kick. Put it this way, I'll grab that and listen all the way through before I will with Kick. Too many skipped tracks (yes, Mediate, I'm referring to you).

sydaud
06-14-2007, 01:33 AM
I'm with you on most of these (keep Jazz, lose Hot Space - ugh!), but IMO Inxs' album Welcome To Wherever You Are is better than Kick. Put it this way, I'll grab that and listen all the way through before I will with Kick. Too many skipped tracks (yes, Mediate, I'm referring to you).

I had "Welcome" shipped to me oversees when it came out and I ended up LOVING that album. I agree, KICK has not held up so well...sometimes you kick, sometimes you get kicked.....

C DUB YA
06-15-2007, 02:06 PM
yeah thats a horrid line.

luckyface
06-15-2007, 02:39 PM
Pearl Jam - Riot Act

Man, I don't get all the hate for Adore. Tremendous album.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
06-15-2007, 03:19 PM
Pearl Jam - Riot Act

Man, I don't get all the hate for Adore. Tremendous album.

I never said I hated it..I just think they could have done loads better on it..I still listen to it from time to time...again "Pug" is one of my all time fav tracks...

luckyface
06-15-2007, 03:49 PM
I never said I hated it..I just think they could have done loads better on it..I still listen to it from time to time...again "Pug" is one of my all time fav tracks...

You weren't the only one who stated that, so it wasn't a shot directly at you.

Bosco
06-15-2007, 04:27 PM
Beck- Sea Change

Beck- Guero

Beck- The Information

Daft Punk- Human After All

Bjork- Medulla

Fatboy Slim- Palookaville

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
06-15-2007, 04:29 PM
Beck- Sea Change

Beck- Guero

Beck- The Information

Daft Punk- Human After All

Bjork- Medulla

Fatboy Slim- Palookaville

wtf? are you kidding me? alot of those are great albums...

Bosco
06-15-2007, 04:33 PM
Beck fucked up when he hit the year 2000

Human After All and Palookaville are quite possibly the worst electronic albums I've listened to that have a good name behind it.

Medulla is just bad on the ears. Too fuckin weird for me.

amyzzz
06-15-2007, 04:40 PM
:pulse :pulse Medulla

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
06-15-2007, 04:50 PM
Medulla is just bad on the ears. Too fuckin weird for me.

Ok so weird not bad...I loved it but probably because I heard some of the tracks live 1st on her 2003 tour..So it sounded amazing to me to begin with...I thought it was her most underrated album...

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
06-15-2007, 04:50 PM
:pulse :pulse Medulla

Ah! Someone who agrees!! Medulla = Fantastic...

heyimazombie
06-15-2007, 05:52 PM
Guns and Roses - Chinese Democracy...

Somewhat Damaged
06-15-2007, 11:30 PM
I like Medulla but find myself not really enjoying listening to it. It's been the case with Vespertine so far, too.

Since no one else has done so yet, I'll defend Oasis' Be Here Now. A friend of mine was saying that he thought it was their best album and I scoffed but had "Don't Go Away" in my head a lot after that and put it on for the first time in years. It holds up really well and I think I may like it more than Definitely Maybe. (It still can't compare to What's the Story, but then how many albums do?) Standing on the Shoulders of Giants was when they lost me as I haven't desired to pick up a new album by them since.

I disliked Machina and Adore enough to trade them to a friend for the Moulin Rouge DVD, although I remember being more fond of Adore.

John Peel is My Co-pilot
06-16-2007, 07:32 AM
I can't believe I forgot the ultimate bad album by a great artist.

The pile of vomit that is Electric Cafe by Kraftwerk.

Boing Boom fuckin' Tschak indeed...

C DUB YA
06-16-2007, 10:00 AM
I really don't like the Information and I really don't like Electric Cafe - good calls.

Medulla is one Bjork album I just don't like either - I find it hard to sit through and annoying.

sydaud
06-16-2007, 11:49 PM
I'll just say that I really enjoyed the article that C Dub put together....I just don't imagine that David Bowie will be sending him any Christmas cards this year, since he threw him on the list twice.

No love for The Thin White Duke, but from 87-91 Bowie chased trends instead of doing his own thing. That period for him was brutal.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
06-17-2007, 07:08 AM
I'll just say that I really enjoyed the article that C Dub put together....I just don't imagine that David Bowie will be sending him any Christmas cards this year, since he threw him on the list twice.

No love for The Thin White Duke, but from 87-91 Bowie chased trends instead of doing his own thing. That period for him was brutal.

more like 84 to 92..I enjoyed his Outside and Earthling albums a lot...to the point where I wore the cds out..but everything after that has been hit and miss...heathens had some good things on it but not as strong as it could have been..

Alchemy
06-17-2007, 09:16 PM
I think I stand alone when I defend Depeche Mode's Exciter. In fact, it's one of my favorite albums of all time... but then, I really like Depeche Mode.

I thought Medulla was really odd, but maybe not bad. U2's atomic bomb thing was bad, although I liked All That You Can't Leave Behind a lot... Well maybe not the album a lot, but I liked a few of the songs a lot.

Blur's Think Tank was kinda' bad. Oasis' Be Here Now was bad, but Don't Believe the Truth had some good tracks in it.

Anyways, I can't believe Exciter is frowned upon so much. I thought it was amazing.

whynotsmile99
06-18-2007, 11:20 AM
Medulla is one of my favorite Bjork albums, probably second to Vaspertine. EHh, maybe Homogenic is tops. Whatever, its an excellent, outstanding album. Haunting, strange and beautiful yet for me Medulla was quite an easy listen. I'm suprised wonderful songs like Desired Constellations, Triumph Of The Heart, Who Is It and Where Is The Line didn't catch on so much.

Buy the dvd. The videos for the album were fantastic.

The more I listen to Volta the more I don't like it. Not a good flow at all.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
06-18-2007, 12:38 PM
Medulla is one of my favorite Bjork albums, probably second to Vaspertine. EHh, maybe Homogenic is tops. Whatever, its an excellent, outstanding album. Haunting, strange and beautiful yet for me Medulla was quite an easy listen. I'm suprised wonderful songs like Desired Constellations, Triumph Of The Heart, Who Is It and Where Is The Line didn't catch on so much.

Buy the dvd. The videos for the album were fantastic.

The more I listen to Volta the more I don't like it. Not a good flow at all.

I still like Volta but more so on the base of a few songs rather then the album as a whole. But I agree it doesn't flow right..But I think that was the point..look up the definition of the word Volta and you will see...

NeverMyopic
06-18-2007, 07:15 PM
Blur - Think Tank (though a couple of decent songs)
The Cure - Mixed Mood Swings (again, a few deent songs)
A.F.I. - Anything after The Art of Drowning
The Cult - Ceremony
Sisters of Mercy - Vision Thing
Bad Religion - The New America (and they're my favorite band)
The Mars Volta - Amputechture
Beastie Boys - To The 5 Boroughs (disappointing)
The Prodigy - Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned (ditto)
Rush - Hold Your Fire
FSOL - Anything after Dead Cities (although I have not heard their latest)
The Stone Roses - Second Coming (not up to par w/previous material)

I guess that's some...for now

LucasMcL
06-18-2007, 08:02 PM
Fiery Furnaces - Rehearsing My Choir.

That was hard to listen to.

C DUB YA
06-19-2007, 06:04 AM

Cheers, thanks.

Agreed, Bowie seemed to be listening more then than making, he was also really getting into his painting as well (more than usual).

I LOVE Earthling by the way. I also really like Outside, even though its somewhat spotty in places. One could argue that Tonight could be his worst album, but I really like Blue Jean, video was good too.

C DUB YA
06-19-2007, 06:12 AM
I think I stand alone when I defend Depeche Mode's Exciter. In fact, it's one of my favorite albums of all time... but then, I really like Depeche Mode.

I thought Medulla was really odd, but maybe not bad. U2's atomic bomb thing was bad, although I liked All That You Can't Leave Behind a lot... Well maybe not the album a lot, but I liked a few of the songs a lot.

Blur's Think Tank was kinda' bad. Oasis' Be Here Now was bad, but Don't Believe the Truth had some good tracks in it.

Anyways, I can't believe Exciter is frowned upon so much. I thought it was amazing.

Medulla is odd, but just in a curious way I guess, its hard to enjoy for me.

How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, is definitely weak by U2 standards, but they saved it with a few key tracks (Miracle Drug, Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own).

Think Tank is also a toughy for me (I'm a huge Blur fan) Sweet Song and Out of Time are as fantastic as Crazy Beat is lame.

Don't Believe the Truth is good stuff.

Exciter has a few good tracks on it, again weak maybe by their standards. Free Love is awesome. But I have to say it might be my least favorite (post Masses) record they've done. Tour for it was good though.

betao
06-25-2007, 07:16 PM
The Prodigy - Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned (ditto)

beat me to it.

Not necessarily a bad album, but weak for their standards. It's not a good studio album, but its a wicked live album; they put on hell of a show when they were touring it.

also, i'm surprised I havent seen this one yet..

RATM - Renegades

sydaud
06-26-2007, 04:55 AM

also, i'm surprised I havent seen this one yet..

RATM - Renegades

Because it's not a bad album all things considered. I know it's certainly not up to their standards, but I enjoy the title track and especially "Microphone" and "Pistol". It's a million miles from essential, but I don't think it's garbage.

C DUB YA
06-26-2007, 06:46 AM
yeah renagades is prolly their worst but they haven't gone so far off to make it to such a list.

betao
06-26-2007, 07:49 AM
Yeah I guess I can see what you guys are saying. It's a good album, just not up to their standards.

krunchy
07-12-2007, 06:59 AM
No, no you were right. Renegades was total shit. I think evil empire was also rather average and I am very glad the the battle of LA was good cause it could have gone pear shaped. I wish they broke up studiowise after battle of LA and just toured for like a decade. I would be very ok with that.