PDA

View Full Version : Lexapro

thelastgreatman
06-04-2007, 12:37 PM
Anyone want to share some experiences about this shit? I just got on it, probably the 12th antidepressant I've tried over the years, and I think it might be responsible for my recent... um... murderousness. Seriously, I want to fucking kill people again, and that part of my mental issues hasn't surfaced like this since I was a teenager. Of course, I've also been sober, so that could be it too.

Anyways, how 'bout y'all?

J~$$$
06-04-2007, 12:42 PM
The brain shivers!

algunz
06-04-2007, 12:46 PM
It made my friend just want to sleep all the time. She hated it.

Yablonowitz
06-04-2007, 12:49 PM
Did you start off at a small dose and go up? Are you imbibing other pharmaceutical/illegal drugs at the same time that may be having an effect on your muderousness?

I'm on an SSRI that I've been on for over seven years (yes, I am an attention whore as well), in addition to xanax and a touch of lithium. I've never experienced a feeling of murderousness, though. Maybe you just mean hostility, not sure. Anyway, the worst I get at times is an obsessive worry that I will become mentally unstable enough to do harm to others. But it's never actually a desire to do so.

Courtney
06-04-2007, 12:49 PM
There was a good thread on anxiety and depression medication stuff a while ago started by Yablo that I think mentioned Lexapro. But I don't remember the details... maybe it was you who posted about the Lexapro there too?

thelastgreatman
06-04-2007, 12:59 PM
I'm on a few other meds, I've considered cross-indication but if that's the case it's still the Lexapro being added to the mix that's fucking shit up. Do you take Lithium during the day Yabs or just at night to sleep? My psych tried to recommend I use 300 mg of Lithium as a sleep aid, but I don't trust bipolar meds.

Yablonowitz
06-04-2007, 01:06 PM
I'm on a few other meds, I've considered cross-indication but if that's the case it's still the Lexapro being added to the mix that's fucking shit up. Do you take Lithium during the day Yabs or just at night to sleep? My psych tried to recommend I use 300 mg of Lithium as a sleep aid, but I don't trust bipolar meds.

I take it at night, but it isn't a sleep aid. I take 225 mg. It has no real effect that I can tell. My aunt had bi-polar so I take that because I have a tendency to shift into anxiety/depression quickly. But I don't have mania.

matildawong
06-04-2007, 01:09 PM
TLG, sorry you're feeling murderous.
I take lithium in the day and at night. I wish it would work as a sleep aid for me.

J~$$$
06-04-2007, 01:09 PM
I know its personal, but what made all of you get on prescription pills?

matildawong
06-04-2007, 01:13 PM
sobriety -- I realize you could argue taking meds isn't sobriety, but there it is...

(eta: I mean, I'm not abusing the psych meds)

tylenol PM, though....

amyzzz
06-04-2007, 01:15 PM
I don't do prescription drugs, but I consider the possibility of getting a prescription on occasion. Heck, maybe it's the Nuva-Ring that's making me crazy.

thelastgreatman
06-04-2007, 01:19 PM
I know its personal, but what made all of you get on prescription pills?

I'd respond, but there's already too many posts about my issues on here.

xbnmx
06-04-2007, 01:29 PM
I am not at all an advocate of bombarding your protein tails with seratonin, do some reading. Are you diabetic Greg?

http://health-essentials.info/science/health-issues/ssri01.html

thelastgreatman
06-04-2007, 01:35 PM
I am not at all an advocate of bombarding your protein tails with seratonin, do some reading. Are you diabetic Greg?

Do some reading, eh? Gee, after 13 years of mental problems and 8 years of medication it never popped into my head to do some research about them. And what is "seratonin," by the way? Not familiar with that word. Where did you encounter it in your reading about serotonergic meds?

TomAz
06-04-2007, 01:41 PM

I am unbiased. I have no opinion one way or the other. But that article and website do not seem very balanced. It definitely has an 'axe-to-grind' tone to it. It argues strongly for a cause-and-effect relationship, but only supplies circumstantial evidence. Also it uses the classic propaganda device, "the outsider", in this case a Brit who doesn't understand why Americans don't see things the way he does.

Unswayed.

T

xbnmx
06-04-2007, 01:45 PM
I was just offering it as a starting point for people to branch out from, my key line was do some research. I don't have the time to sit here and compose a well drafted paper of my arguments against SSRIs, just to make occasional posts attempting to incite some research while I write the papers I actually get credit for.

captncrzy
06-04-2007, 01:45 PM
I'm just weeding myself off of Lexapro after about a year and a half. I'm having a brain shiver RIGHT NOW.

It actually worked pretty well for me. Elevated my mood a little but really helped with my anxiety disorder. It was kinda cool to just not care about stuff that used to bother me. Just had some unpleasant side effects (massive weight gain was one) so I decided to go off. I am worried about the unknown long term effects on the brain from an SSRI-so that also contributed to it.

Sorry it isn't working for you. I don't remember feeling "murderous" when I started taking it. Just couldn't sleep for shit-and also had s-e-x problems for a few weeks.

miscorrections
06-04-2007, 01:46 PM

all i know is that copious use of itallics is more convincing than science.

thelastgreatman
06-04-2007, 01:48 PM
Yeah, I already did research, you fuck. But anecdotal evidence kinda ranges, well, all over the fucking place, so I asked the board since I kinda know these people a little.

xbnmx
06-04-2007, 01:52 PM
Okay well I'm glad that that's the case, now anyone else who wanders through can have the same suggestion. Keep up the irate language and name calling.

chrislasf
06-04-2007, 01:57 PM
Nothingman would totally school this thread.

amyzzz
06-04-2007, 01:59 PM
I wish nothingman would go at it with LGM.

TomAz
06-04-2007, 02:00 PM
Keep up the irate language and name calling.

well he did say he was feeling murderous.

Yablonowitz
06-04-2007, 02:02 PM

No, I'm not a diabetic. I've done plenty of research, PLENTY, and I get exposed to thousands of different articles going one way or the other. I'm not going to debate you, Jerry. I mean Ben. Like I said, I've been on these meds for over 7 years now. I'm also a 35 year old male with two kids, so I don't take these matters lightly.

I see a psychiatrist on a monthly basis, someone who has had experience treating literally thousands of people on SSRIs. I actually tend to trust him more than an anecdotal tirade against drugs. I'm not even going to read that, not because I'm closed minded but because there's too much out there about it on the web and there's no way of determining how authoritative or medically sound something off the Web is. I trust my doctor. I know...I must be fucking crazy. Well, I guess I am crazy since I'm seeing a psychiatrist. Anyway, these drugs are being taken by MILLIONS of people in this country. There are probably thousands of trial lawyers examining every single bad experience or potential problem with these medications constantly, hoping to find something significantly wrong with the drugs so they can take the pharmaceutical companies to court. There are a lot of dollars to be made if you could prove the harm done by these pharmaceuticals. It hasn't happened yet and it's probably not going to.

I'm certainly not advocating them, but if they weren't effective, they wouldn't be prescribed as frequently as they are.

amyzzz
06-04-2007, 02:10 PM
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:Cn_Z1c6ZEAIOMM:http://opioids.com/heroin/placebo.jpg

TomAz
06-04-2007, 02:11 PM
All the great artists of the 20th century were on SSRIs.

Yablonowitz
06-04-2007, 02:12 PM
All the great artists of the 20th century were on SSRIs.

HAHAHAHAHAAAA

thelastgreatman
06-04-2007, 02:19 PM
Nothingman and I jive together pretty well, actually. But you guys are missing the point thinking that I'm not well familiar with all the various upsides and downsides of antidepressants. I've been on Wellbutrin, Celexa, Cymbalta, Paxil, Effexor, Zoloft, and Elavil, so I think with the exception of Prozac (fuck that shit), Lexapro represents the last of the different SSRI families for me.

I just wanted to holla at my fellow mental patients.

Yablonowitz
06-04-2007, 02:55 PM
Can I ask you why you went through so many different ones? Did they lose their effectiveness?

I don't know anything about lexapro. I've been on the dreaded paxil the whole time.

thelastgreatman
06-04-2007, 03:04 PM
Ah, Paxil will definitely give you those sex drive issues. That was actually one of the things I kinda liked about it, even though I didn't have an orgasm for months.

I've been through so many of them because to the extent that any of them worked it never lasted very long. Part of me likes to think that I'm not really chemically imbalanced (those are just the SSRIs I've been on, btw--if we got into all the mood stabilizers and other forms of antidepressants it would take forever and I can't remember a lot of them) but just have symptoms of insanity for rational reasons. In general though, I do a better job of keeping my demons at bay through regulation of my mood in-the-now with immediate release chemicals.

Yablonowitz
06-04-2007, 03:07 PM
Ah, Paxil will definitely give you those sex drive issues. That was actually one of the things I kinda liked about it, even though I didn't have an orgasm for months.

See...that's why I got all up in arms over the underboobery. I don't have a sex drive.

xbnmx
06-04-2007, 03:18 PM
I'm not trying to preach, discredit your superior experience through age, or undermine the concept of personal doctors. I'm just trying to put out a suggestion of doing research as over the years of my comparatively highly limited personal experience SSRIs have not done the people around me much good and the scientific research I've done on them have shown them to be potentially harmful.

And why is it that Prozac is a no go but the rest of the SSRIs are okay?

thelastgreatman
06-04-2007, 03:28 PM
Thanks for throwing out the idea of doing research, again, that thought had never entered my brain.

Prozac was their first shot at this family of chemicals and it's got a bi-polar slant to it, I dunnae like either of those aspects.

xbnmx
06-04-2007, 04:25 PM
I made a point of it because there are people out there who have total doctor confidence who don't do their own research. And again, I'm not condemning the personal doctor. I'm advocating balance of professional guidance and personal research.

Yablonowitz
06-04-2007, 06:31 PM
I made a point of it because there are people out there who have total doctor confidence who don't do their own research. And again, I'm not condemning the personal doctor. I'm advocating balance of professional guidance and personal research.

Ben, it's OK. You're not the first one to suggest that I (being an SSRI taker) do research on it. But I actually did a lot of research on them well before I started taking them.

xbnmx
06-04-2007, 09:43 PM
Right, it was just a flag for anyone who may be reading this and considering starting on them as your success with them might incite. I don't know if this other guys experience will encourage or discourage usage.

thelastgreatman
06-04-2007, 09:49 PM
I've decided to stop taking it immediately and get five grams of G into me as soon as possible.

I'm sure the world is thankful that you're here to remind people not to start taking serious medications because of one person's experience on a message board. Even if you can't spell what you're talking about, or really know anything about them yourself. We're lucky to have you.

xbnmx
06-04-2007, 10:20 PM
Do you think the world revolves around you or what? This has nothing to do with "one person's experience."

Pasketti
06-04-2007, 10:41 PM
http://valdefierro.com/martx12.jpg

thelastgreatman
06-04-2007, 11:07 PM
Right, it was just a flag for anyone who may be reading this and considering starting on them as your success with them might incite.

You were speaking of Yabs, actually. Nothing revolves around me.

bassmintpdx
06-04-2007, 11:49 PM
I don't do prescription drugs

<3 Hell yeah sistah.

captncrzy
06-05-2007, 05:43 AM
God, ok, we fucking get it...do personal research with meds.

You must realize that some people NEED them regardless of the side or long term effects. Depression is a clinical illness. It's not like it's fun to take, or fun to admit that you have to take them.

amyzzz
06-05-2007, 09:11 AM
That's true. I don't have the crushing depression I used to get in high school and college anymore. I just get short bursts of depression which I can kind of soldier through now. I just try to focus on thinking about my family and taking care of them.

TomAz
06-05-2007, 09:45 AM
We're like family to you, amy.

ragingdave
06-05-2007, 10:08 AM

I've been through so many of them because to the extent that any of them worked it never lasted very long. Part of me likes to think that I'm not really chemically imbalanced (those are just the SSRIs I've been on, btw--if we got into all the mood stabilizers and other forms of antidepressants it would take forever and I can't remember a lot of them) but just have symptoms of insanity for rational reasons. In general though, I do a better job of keeping my demons at bay through regulation of my mood in-the-now with immediate release chemicals.

Maybe you should just grow up.

xbnmx
06-05-2007, 03:43 PM
And grow more chins.

thelastgreatman
06-05-2007, 03:46 PM
Dave--maybe you should just blow me.

Ben--Grow more chins? What the fuck are you talking about? Perhaps you're low on "seratonin" and aren't thinking clearly.

matildawong
06-05-2007, 03:52 PM
do you feel any better? <not being sarcastic>

thelastgreatman
06-05-2007, 03:53 PM
I stopped taking it, we'll see how things develop. God's beefing with me at the moment though, so things are going to be unpleasant regardless.

matildawong
06-05-2007, 03:56 PM
I hope you don't have any side effects, though I've quit taking stuff w/o any.
Except Zoloft.

cansei de ser sexme
06-05-2007, 03:57 PM
i dont know much about drugs but i did just take some cephalexin for my ear-ache that was prescribed for my ear-ache last year.

Yablonowitz
06-05-2007, 04:01 PM
I stopped taking it, we'll see how things develop. God's beefing with me at the moment though, so things are going to be unpleasant regardless.

You stopped cold turkey? I thought you were supposed to titrate up and down those things?

thelastgreatman
06-05-2007, 04:03 PM
Oh they're full of shit. They also claim the effects don't really kick in for several weeks, and that's horseshit. Stopping SSRIs cold turkey is the least of my absences at the moment.

Yablonowitz
06-05-2007, 04:08 PM
OK.

chrislasf
06-05-2007, 04:17 PM
Youre a tortured soul.

thelastgreatman
06-05-2007, 05:03 PM
Do I feel your target on my back now, Chris?

chrislasf
06-05-2007, 05:13 PM
No, but between this thread, the LA/NY thread, and the short stories thread you appear to be looking for a fight. Perhaps it is just your objective tone in regards to subjective subject matter that is getting under my skin today.

Perhaps it is I who is the bitch today.

Deviate_420
06-05-2007, 05:14 PM
Do I feel your target on my back now, Chris?

Randy told me to edit this post........

thelastgreatman
06-05-2007, 05:19 PM
I don't see any possible way to sound objective. Whatever anyone says it's all subjective even if it's "the sky is blue." I suppose I could follow everything I say with "but that's just my opinion..." but I think it's a waste of time. We all know it's just our opinions.

Also, I didn't turn that into an LA/NY thread, I just wanted to post funny shit. And I stand by my actions in this thread, whether asshole or not.

Nonetheless, I was hoping to school you in shuffleboard someday, so I find this struggle between us saddening. But if you need to fight I can sympathize, so let's board-brawl and get it out.

chrislasf
06-05-2007, 05:32 PM
Most of the people I would call friends on this board I have tangled with at some point. There is just a Delta-ish tinge to your tone today thats all. Like I said maybe I am just sensitive today.

And I'll spot you shuffleboard. Air hockey though.....you gots no chance.

thelastgreatman
06-05-2007, 05:37 PM
Yeah, air hockey I might be fucked. But we can drink for free all night if you find us a shuffleboard table and a group of opponents willing to play for drinks.

captncrzy
06-05-2007, 08:24 PM
How long were you on it and when did you stop taking? I just stopped cold turkey last week and I've been having crazy brain shiver dizzy spell things. I've also been crying alot for absolutely no reason. I hear its common when you stop an SSRI-just wishing I knew how long it was going to take.

Barbara, the ninja
06-05-2007, 09:39 PM
I dunno LGM, there's a lot of other less expensive, more healthy ways to relax and not want to destroy the world. Like eating ice cream. Or exercising!

Good Days Last
06-05-2007, 09:46 PM
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/02/onedoesnottankmordor.jpg

thelastgreatman
06-06-2007, 12:19 AM
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/02/onedoesnottankmordor.jpg

You wouldn't believe how much truth is in that picture.

Good Days Last
06-07-2007, 02:51 AM
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/01/2000913673688669733_rs.jpg

bassmintpdx
06-08-2007, 11:36 PM
That's a lot of mana.