PDA

View Full Version : The Girls Only Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77

chiapet
04-08-2012, 05:34 PM
Has anyone seen that bj mouth piece for lazys like me? I'm very interested and wanna know if its a worthy buy.

This wasn't what I thought it was going to be. My dentist has these little foam wedges that they stick between your back teeth, when they are doing something that requires your mouth to be very wide open for a long time. You can just chomp down on it while your mouth stays completely open, and your jaw muscles don't hurt after. I used to joke with him and ask him if I could take some home for blowjobs.

He did give me a few.

kitt kat
04-08-2012, 08:39 PM
Sorry to be a bummer and change the conversation, but I'm pretty bummed out these days.

Sigh. I know this isn't general "lady issues" but it's safer to bring up here.

Originalbob
04-08-2012, 08:43 PM
I used to joke with him and ask him if I could take some home for blowjobs.

He did give me a few.

Chia has the official "Kick Ass Dentist of the Universe"!!! hahahaha

Lynn163
04-09-2012, 10:35 AM
Haha...that she does!

Kitt, sorry to hear. Hope whatever the problem is gets worked out.

amyzzz
04-10-2012, 10:30 AM
I was going to wear dresses this year but with the weather forecasts I'm switching to jeans and boots. I'm afraid my kids don't have rainboots though. Friday the 13th indeed.

locachica73
04-10-2012, 10:34 AM
I am in the same boat amyzzz, although I don't have boots either so it will be jeans and tennis on the cold days. I am still packing the dresses I bought though, just in case.

Yesterday my daughter and I went and got our toes did... I have neon pink toes right now and they are quite sexy. :)

algunz
04-10-2012, 10:38 AM
It won't rain enough to necessitate boots.

I have terrible TMJ which as been horribly exasperated with my being such a giver. I wonder if one of those would help. Chia, it sounds like your dental toys could though. I need to ask my daughter's dentist who happens to be a friend of mine since elementary school, so that conversation shouldn't be too awkward.

Kat, do you need us all to say, "Gee, what's wrong?" or are you yet again incapable of communicating? I'm trying not to be short, but that kind of stuff is so annoying for me.

locachica73
04-10-2012, 10:44 AM
I have TMJ from grinding my teeth as a kid, but I have never noticed BJ's causing any pain unless it's after a night of too many drugs.

Courtney
04-10-2012, 10:47 AM
Ha. Heidi, from what you've said it sounds like both your doctor and your dentist are super cool. Where do you find these people?

algunz
04-10-2012, 10:48 AM
When it's really bad, I can barely open my mouth wide enough to fit in a cracker little lone (a moment of silence for Ron) a whole dick. In junior high (these were very pre-BJ days) my jaw completely locked, where I couldn't open it or close it. I had to practically punch myself in the jaw to unlock it. It sounded like bones breaking.

locachica73
04-10-2012, 10:50 AM
Wow, that's bad, can they do anything for it when it gets that bad. Mine got real grindy like 10 years ago but I wore a mouth guard for a few months and it got better. I barely even notice it anymore.

scenicworld
04-10-2012, 10:56 AM
I'm not reevaluating my wardrobe choices for coachella based on rain in the forecast, but I am going to pack a few extra cold weather items like jeans/leggings and a couple sweaters.

ENluv12
04-10-2012, 10:59 AM
^ yeah me too. I am still holding out faith that it will be like usual.... I can hope! I think I might grab a pair of jeans or two and keep them in the lockers.

algunz
04-10-2012, 11:00 AM
I had braces put on after that incident, Loca, with the hopes that realigning the teeth would help the bite and hopefully realign the jaw. It seemed to work, but in all honesty once BJs and drugs came in to my world I think I fucked it all up again. It has only gotten painful and "inconvenient" again in the past 5 years. I worry that I may have to get my jaw broken and surgically realigned because lately I feel it locking again. No way am I going to do braces again. I'd rather get bones broken.

chiapet
04-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Ha. Heidi, from what you've said it sounds like both your doctor and your dentist are super cool. Where do you find these people?

Well, it's SF, and my experience has been that there are a lot of doctors here that are pretty cool, (especially sex-positive and unflappable when it comes to weird requests/situations). But more specifically, I've lived here for a long time, so I've just found them through trial and error and asking around my social circle. I'm lucky to have a really good insurance plan which is accepted by a lot of docs, so I'm not too limited when it comes to following others' recommendations. Something that is really awesome and unusual is that most of my doctors don't believe in overbooking or making people wait past appointment times. My allergist is the only one where I have to wait more than a couple of minutes, and fortunately I only have to see him (rather than his staff) once a year.

I actually don't even have a GP right now, though... my old one left her practice and went to Kaiser. I've been seeing PA's in her old practice, and I like them so much that I've been reluctant to go elsewhere to find another doctor. (I don't really like the other doctors in that practice, but the PAs are so great that it's worth it to me to just see them except for the very occasional problem where they ask one of the doctors to consult).

Courtney
04-10-2012, 12:53 PM
If I ever move to SF, I'm asking you or recommendations for everything.

Courtney
04-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Also, it just occurred to me that I haven't had a period in a while. I have been irregular for a while now (probably due to stress), but I hate not knowing. If I start menstruating in the middle of the festival, I'm going to be pissed off.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-10-2012, 12:59 PM
watch out for bears

Courtney
04-10-2012, 01:00 PM
I'm going to just start gushing blooooood everywhere.

locachica73
04-10-2012, 01:02 PM
Also, it just occurred to me that I haven't had a period in a while. I have been irregular for a while now (probably due to stress), but I hate not knowing. If I start menstruating in the middle of the festival, I'm going to be pissed off.

I had cramps on monday and was hoping it meant it was coming a few days early... no such fucking luck. Thank god for muscle relaxers.

Courtney
04-10-2012, 01:05 PM
Oh man, the more I think about this the more paranoid I get. I don't even use pads, but maybe I should buy some so I can wear one as a precautionary measure. I would pop in a tampon for the day, but anyone who has ever tried to insert something when you're dry down there knows how unpleasant that is.

locachica73
04-10-2012, 01:09 PM
Yeah, that might be a good plan, it's better than having to go into the portojohns every hour to check. :puke

Courtney
04-10-2012, 01:12 PM
I seriously haven't purchased pads since I was like 14. I don't even know what brands are good. Suggestions?

locachica73
04-10-2012, 01:14 PM
I prefer the Stayfree regular longs with no scent.

alyssaf12
04-10-2012, 01:19 PM
I'm going to attempt at making a flower crown today. Have any of you guys ever done it before?

Also, that sucks about your period. If I were going weekend one I'd be in the same situation. :/

locachica73
04-10-2012, 01:26 PM
I have actually done that before when I was little. I can't really remember how though, I just have a vague recollection of stringing daisys together, or dandelions? Wow, thanks for the childhood flashback. :)

KCsunny
04-10-2012, 02:01 PM
Sex on the Beach is a little too sweet for me but I love Screaming Orgasms.
I usually order Tokyo Ice Tea, Vodka/Cranberry, or straight up tequila shots.

It's almost that time of the month for me.

I like Screaming Orgasms AND a good whole bottle of Champagne to go along with it! hehe!

scenicworld
04-10-2012, 02:01 PM
one of my girlfriends that's camping with us this year is making some flower headbands too, but she's using fake flowers.

kitt kat
04-10-2012, 02:12 PM

Ugh, mine has been totally off the wall bonkers, too! I'm spotting today and I really hope that doesn't mean it's starting because i just had one only two weeks ago. My body can't fucking decide what it wants to do! And if I get my period during Coachella because of this I will be PISSED.

On a better note, I am going to the lady doctor tomorrow just for a refill (so no parts exam needed) and I'm gonna ask about this. It might be because my BC is a low dose pill...but I want to stay on the low dose train since I think it makes me less fucking insane.

But yeah. Periods are fucking annoying and I hate them so much.

KCsunny
04-10-2012, 03:40 PM
Do any of you ladies get "hot flashes"?

chiapet
04-10-2012, 04:00 PM
Courtney, the Always ultra thins are good for that purpose. Just get something thin that'll work for a few hours in case of a surprise between port a potty visits. I *hate* having to change tampons in port a potties... like, I'd rather just use a pad. Even when I have handwipes and such, I feel like god knows what sort of germs I'm getting on my bits...

scenicworld
04-10-2012, 04:12 PM
Do any of you ladies get "hot flashes"?

Not for a while now, but I had a hormonal imbalance several years ago and had a few months of dealing with hot flashes and cold sweats. They cleared up after I started supplementing my estrogen with HRT. those were a pretty miserable few months, let me tell you!

LetThereBeLight
04-10-2012, 07:03 PM
Courtney, the Always ultra thins are good for that purpose. Just get something thin that'll work for a few hours in case of a surprise between port a potty visits. I *hate* having to change tampons in port a potties... like, I'd rather just use a pad. Even when I have handwipes and such, I feel like god knows what sort of germs I'm getting on my bits...

Skipped my period this month for exactly that reason. I hate pads and can't imagine using tampons in a porta potty. Gross.

lmulinix
04-10-2012, 08:58 PM
People with TMJ problems - try using vitamin SAM-E...takes a few weeks but it made a huge difference for me. Also, smoking makes it worse and there is a "flush" out-patient procedure you can do that was helpful for me =)

On another note: Are you guys planning on packing rain boots? or what? and where can I find some decent priced flat closed-toe sandals?

chiapet
04-10-2012, 09:09 PM
Girls... it's the desert. It's not going to rain enough to justify rain boots. < 50% chance of rain, 70+F degree heat, < 30% humidity index... if it does rain, it will evaporate pretty quickly, unless it rains for hours and hours.

That said, it would probably be smart to bring some non-sandals shoes that you don't care that much about. If I were going, I'd be tempted to hit up Payless or something similar for cheap Keds-like sneakers, and would put a gel insert in them to make them more comfy.

Originalbob
04-10-2012, 10:32 PM
I purchased some Sanuk shoes in White at Journeys shoes this weekend for only $29.99.
http://www.journeys.com/product.aspx?id=183616
The bottoms are made of yoga mat material and are super comfortable. I'm not a flat shoe sorta gal, but these are heavenly! Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know they're white, but I was desperate for a new pair of shoes.

ThatGirl
04-11-2012, 06:05 AM
Hey Hey - To all the ladies that are heading to the Fest tomorrow, have so much fun and live it to the fullest! I'm fully jealous but will be thinking of all of you! Be safe and have a blast.

locachica73
04-11-2012, 06:12 AM
One of the guys I work with has me all paranoid and telling me I should get a cot for my tent so I don't have to sleep in an inch of water. I just rechecked weather.com though and it's saying 30% chance of a few showers. I am going to have faith that it isn't going to be a downpour and we will all just have to dance in the sprinkles for a minute or two.

I got a speeding ticket last night after work, I remember when I would always drive away without the ticket because I was young and batted my lashes enough to get out with a warning. I feel really old today. :(

About hot flashes... I don't suffer from them yet, but when I was at my first gyno appointment in a few years the other day I brought up how I get extremely angry/ragey the week prior to my period. The male doctor recommended I consider hormone therapy since I am getting up there in age... I wanted to kick him in the balls.

scenicworld
04-11-2012, 07:56 AM
I thought I saw that it was only .03" of rain, so i wouldn't worry too much about waking up in a puddle especially if your tent area is covered with a canopy too. that sucks about the ticket, too. I've never had good luck getting away without a ticket except for one time when I was coming home from a Cut Copy concert and had to pass a field sobriety test after being pulled over for a headlight that was out.

Lynn163
04-11-2012, 09:42 AM
I'm not reevaluating my wardrobe choices for coachella based on rain in the forecast, but I am going to pack a few extra cold weather items like jeans/leggings and a couple sweaters.

Got into La Quinta yesterday and it was a little windy but warm. Rained this morning, and the kids (not mine) are already in the pool. So far it's beautiful out. I packed the extra and so far haven't needed it....fingers crossed!

chiapet
04-11-2012, 10:37 AM
loca, your tent has a rain fly, right? Use it. (You should anyway - it helps moderate temperature -- meaning, keeps it from getting as hot during the day and as cold at night). Your tent isn't going to flood.

locachica73
04-11-2012, 11:03 AM
I have no idea, I would assume so, I just bought it and have not even opened it up. I am hoping all the pieces are there. If things get too wet though I can always sleep in my Honda.... It turns into a bed. :)

keeshonjohnson
04-11-2012, 07:30 PM
Just at my hotel in Toronto, flight leaves in just over 6 hours. So excited. Coachella here we come :D

chairmenmeow47
04-11-2012, 07:33 PM
have a wonderful time, ladies!!!

samiksha
04-11-2012, 07:47 PM
i just found out about vaginal prolapse and google image searched it. WHAT THE FUCK.

chairmenmeow47
04-11-2012, 08:41 PM
i just found out about vaginal prolapse and google image searched it. WHAT THE FUCK.

oh man, i recently read about this in one of my books about my conditions. sounds so painful.

keeshonjohnson
04-12-2012, 02:23 PM
I am here! I love California :) I am drinking pina coladas and relaxing by the pool after a VERY long day of travel.

keeshonjohnson
04-12-2012, 02:24 PM
Oh, and yes, vaginal prolapse equals yuck!

kitt kat
04-12-2012, 06:06 PM
Can I show y'all some of the outfits I'm considering? Just bought a bunch of vintage clothes online...

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af142/thekissingtreevintage/april%202012/DSC_0242.jpg
Would only wear with my shit-kicking 90s goth punk boots

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af142/thekissingtreevintage/april%202012/DSC_0493.jpg

Got this skirt...
http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/8590/floralgrungeftskirt4.jpg

To wear with this shirt (???) and a big floppy hat??
http://i.americanapparel.net/storefront/photos/morephotos/rsacl302/rsacl302_04.jpg

I also have my punk ass vest...but I'm still at a loss with clothes. Are these cute? Am I stupid?

Might keep bidding on this. Yay? Nay?
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm126/mintmall/IMG_5699.jpg

Hannahrain
04-12-2012, 06:10 PM
It seems ill-advised to wear a train skirt in an area with portable bathrooms. Or any bathrooms.

I do think the first two dresses suit you, though. Not so into the maxi dress, but that's not really a look I like in general.

chiapet
04-12-2012, 08:52 PM
Actually long skirts & skirts with a train are not that bad in port-a-potties. I just gather it up as I'm walking in and start twisting it until it's basically just twisted around my waist, and tuck that twist into my waistband. To me, they're easier to control than a short skirt.

amyzzz
04-19-2012, 10:54 AM
Anyone notice any fashion trends at Coachella this year? I saw a lot of real flower garlands and aqua/seafoam green nail polish.

locachica73
04-19-2012, 11:08 AM
I saw a lot of girls in skirts that were short in front and long in back, they are cute and all but some of them I saw were too long in the back, dragging through the dirt/mud. I can only imagine how filthy they got in the port o john area. EW

I may have ruined my coachella shoes I bought, they were leather sandals and I was so grossed out by what was possibly on them that I ran them through the washer. I am hoping they aren't ruined but I would rather buy new than wear shoes that have puke/shit/piss on them.

amyzzz
04-19-2012, 11:21 AM
Where were you standing that you got puke, shit, and piss on them? My shoes are fine. My daughter only wore socks on Sunday, and her socks are fine. Well, slightly holey.

locachica73
04-19-2012, 11:24 AM
Walking back and forth to the campsite was kinda gross at times, there was one case where someone puked right up against the rail between festival and campsite and then thought it would be nice to stick a bouquet of fake flowers in the puke. The port o johns in campground 5 were a little sketchy as well, and then there were mounds of horse shit everywhere. I hopefully avoided it all but there was some drunken stumbling to the bathrooms in the dark.

amyzzz
04-19-2012, 11:27 AM
Oh, camping. :(

chiapet
04-19-2012, 11:34 AM
Geezus, the Coachella campgrounds are pristine compared to fests elsewhere. At Roskilde, people spray paint to mark where someone has puked.. so by the time we got there (a few days into the 'camping' part but before the festival started), there was spray paint all over the ground, tents, ....

locachica73
04-19-2012, 12:30 PM
This is probably why I will only ever go to Coachella... I might go to Lollapalooza sometime to make my sister happy but I here you can walk in and out to your hotel whenever you need. I am grossed out easily, walking through occasional landmines of horseshit and human vomit was more than enough for me.

chiapet
04-19-2012, 12:35 PM
Lollapalooza is disgusting in that regard though... I got puked on the year I went, my friend got puked on TWICE, there were so many places where there was vomit all over the ground. Lots of younger people who are way too drunk for the heat.

locachica73
04-19-2012, 12:43 PM
See, now you have me rethinking ever going to lollapalooza. My sisters birthday is always around the weekend of the festival and she tries to get me to go every year. I am not a fan of humidity at all. I feel like I am being smothered whenever I travel to the midwest. So I doubt I will ever go anyway. I am perfectly happy getting my festival vibe at coachella, it's perfect for me in distance and weather.

I got puked on at disneyland once... So puke can happen anywhere, I just want to make sure I can wash it away as soon as possible. :)

amyzzz
04-19-2012, 01:14 PM
Go to Outside Lands in San Francisco instead! (I'm going)

algunz
04-19-2012, 01:38 PM
Anyone notice any fashion trends at Coachella this year? I saw a lot of real flower garlands and aqua/seafoam green nail polish.

Definitely the sho-lo skirts and those stupid glasses with mustaches attached. And the whole 80's redux (too much neon) - I actually saw a few people dressed completely preppy. I couldn't figure if they were dressing ironically or if it was just the style. Kind of cute.

locachica73
04-19-2012, 01:41 PM

San Francisco is very high on my list of places I would like to visit soon. We are doing Vegas in August I think, then I am open for suggestions.

amyzzz
04-19-2012, 01:43 PM
Does that mean August is closed?

locachica73
04-19-2012, 01:45 PM
Yeah, it's my honeys birthday and his twin is suppose to be coming in the first week of August and we are leaving his kid with gramma so we can hit up vegas. We were suppose to go last year for his birthday when I hit some bad luck.

amyzzz
04-19-2012, 01:47 PM
Have you met his twin yet?

locachica73
04-19-2012, 01:49 PM
Yeah, we have hung out twice now. He always tries to convince me that I wouldn't know the difference in the dark. They use to be identical but his twin is a little heavier than nick, I am sure I would know the difference... (I THINK)

scenicworld
04-19-2012, 01:57 PM

me too! :)
...at least I plan to. I bought passes today with the intent of going, but I have a lot of stuff to sort out before I can officially commit. I'd say I'm 95% sure that I'm going though.

Definitely the sho-lo skirts and those stupid glasses with mustaches attached. And the whole 80's redux (too much neon) - I actually saw a few people dressed completely preppy. I couldn't figure if they were dressing ironically or if it was just the style. Kind of cute.

I loved the skirts, but those mustache glasses were gross. Maybe it's because I've spent so much time and money relentlessly zapping every unwanted hair on my body, but I honestly don't understand the whole girls with mustaches thing.

amyzzz
04-19-2012, 02:01 PM
I wore a mustache on Sunday.

algunz
04-19-2012, 02:03 PM
Yeah, we have hung out twice now. He always tries to convince me that I wouldn't know the difference in the dark. They use to be identical but his twin is a little heavier than nick, I am sure I would know the difference... (I THINK)

You'll never know unless you try. :winkiss

amyzzz
04-19-2012, 02:11 PM
Could make for an interesting porn.

locachica73
04-19-2012, 03:20 PM
Lol, I am gonna have to pass, those were games they played when they were young, I dont think he would be as easy going about it now. But he has told me how they would tap each other out in the past... EW.

Lynn163
04-19-2012, 03:47 PM

I thought most of the younger girls looked like they dressed straight out of that Free People catalog. Maybe I just noticed because they all looked like my sons ex-girlfriend...med height, rail skinny, feathers, sparkly makeup, boots, and flowy shear tops.

Also, did anyone else get accosted by the group of neon tank with- Have you seen (insert picture) my friend - wearing guys?

chiapet
04-19-2012, 03:51 PM
Geezus. I'm glad the conversation had changed. I saw this page without seeing the previous one and almost thought Amy was responding to the puke stories....

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-19-2012, 03:52 PM
Well, that also could make for interesting porn.

amyzzz
04-19-2012, 03:52 PM
I thought most of the younger girls looked like they dressed straight out of that Free People catalog. Maybe I just noticed because they all looked like my sons ex-girlfriend...med height, rail skinny, feathers, sparkly makeup, boots, and flowy shear tops.

Also, did anyone else get accosted by the group of neon tank with- Have you seen (insert picture) my friend - wearing guys?I saw those guys.

amyzzz
04-19-2012, 03:53 PM
Geezus. I'm glad the conversation had changed. I saw this page without seeing the previous one and almost thought Amy was responding to the puke stories....Sorry. That sounds...unappealing.

Lynn163
04-19-2012, 04:18 PM
Geezus. I'm glad the conversation had changed. I saw this page without seeing the previous one and almost thought Amy was responding to the puke stories....

Haha!

amyzzz
04-20-2012, 08:54 AM
I gave in and bought some light green nail polish last night when we were impulse buying at Walgreens. Cafe Prive by Revlon. :-) I still need to check out that magnetic polish.

romanticizer
04-20-2012, 04:04 PM

I'm glad I didn't buy those sunglasses although, I didn't see any. It's hard to tell, nearly everyone looked about the same to me. I can't believe that the feathers and neon are still in such full effect. I thought it was over 2 years ago.

romanticizer
04-21-2012, 05:39 PM
An appropriate summer BBQ outfit that also doubles as a meet the parents outfit?

chiapet
04-21-2012, 05:40 PM
Sundress

romanticizer
04-21-2012, 06:08 PM
I'm assuming at least knee length.

chiapet
04-21-2012, 06:43 PM
Yes, I think about knee length, and sleeveless rather than with spaghetti straps so that it's not too revealing?

romanticizer
04-21-2012, 07:08 PM
Thanks, miss.

romanticizer
04-22-2012, 12:37 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_D6MIz-KUtUg/TUA5QGIS-dI/AAAAAAAAAPI/Fx3NowEWZIs/s1600/F21+Mock+Two+Piece+Dress.jpg

I wore this. I was only meeting platonic male friend's parents for a party as "his date" and I knew his family would assume we were dating (never! blegh!) and they are conservative so I wanted to be respectful. It all worked out.

casey
04-26-2012, 07:49 AM
^ That is a really cute dress!

I am starting my hunt for Sasquatch outfits now. I'm thinking I will have to do a lot of layers, & will probably wear shorts for the first time in a long time. Typically I wear dresses to fests but I'm thinking shorts will be easier to match & layer. Do you ladies have particular stores you like for shorts?

amyzzz
04-26-2012, 07:53 AM
Athleta has some nice skorts, skirts with shorts attached underneath. I haven't bought any, but I have my eye on a few styles.

romanticizer
04-26-2012, 07:56 AM
^ That is a really cute dress!

I am starting my hunt for Sasquatch outfits now. I'm thinking I will have to do a lot of layers, & will probably wear shorts for the first time in a long time. Typically I wear dresses to fests but I'm thinking shorts will be easier to match & layer. Do you ladies have particular stores you like for shorts?

Honestly...I love me some Abercrombie shorts. They fit like shorts should (on me at least). Only look in Clearance though. =)

scenicworld
04-26-2012, 08:04 AM
I really wanted to go to sasquatch this year. I wonder what kind of weather you'll get this year? I would plan on as many as 2 outfits depending on if you get the warm summer weather or the gloomy rainy weather. The year I went I had a bit of both, so I would have liked to have some warm outfits to change into or some layers to add.

I think you're right in thinking about layers, though. it's an easy fest to carry a bag around at and then add a sweater of some leggings/jeans as it gets cooler. I have yet to find a pair of shorts that fit me right, so I can't really help too much with that.

ENluv12
04-26-2012, 08:07 AM
Abercrombie shorts have not fit me since high school.

romanticizer
04-26-2012, 08:07 AM
Yeah, Casey. They Gorge gets cold at night in AUGUST, so make sure you pack a lot of warm clothes. If you carry a bag with you, maybe put and extra set in there. Remember, there are in and outs this year (and it can be a trek) but no lockers.

casey
04-26-2012, 08:32 AM
I know it's going to get colder once the sun goes down anyway, so I was planning something like shorts/shirt during the day with an option to add a long sleeved shirt under whatever shirt I'm wearing and tights/leggings under shorts. Then bringing a hoodie or sweater of some kind to go with it in case I get cold. I'm not too worried about it once I get out of the fest since we are staying in an RV but I am generally always on the colder side and I don't want to be miserable! Thanks for your help. :)

scenicworld
04-26-2012, 10:52 AM
I don't think I can go to a fest without a sarong. they are just so handy! Use it as a blanket when you want to sit down somewhere. Tie it like a sash or scarf or even tied to a backpack as some sort of flair. Then when it gets cold, but not freezing, use it as a shawl over your shoulders or even a blanket to cover up.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-26-2012, 10:59 AM
I was just reading this and thought it was pretty interesting.
http://www.elle.com/Fashion/Fashion-Spotlight/Objects-Are-Larger-Than-They-Appear?cid=el%3Aotb%3Afashion%3Anew-slimming-dresses%3A&src=sem&mag=elm&dom=out#mode=base;slide=0

Winslet in particular does look amazing in that photo.

Lynn163
04-26-2012, 11:08 AM
I take a sarong to every festival as well. It worked out perfect for changing into warm clothes weekend 1 for my husband and I.

Lynn163
04-26-2012, 11:08 AM
Abercrombie shorts have not fit me since high school.

Have never fit me.

scenicworld
04-26-2012, 11:27 AM
http://www.elle.com/Fashion/Fashion-Spotlight/Objects-Are-Larger-Than-They-Appear?cid=el%3Aotb%3Afashion%3Anew-slimming-dresses%3A&src=sem&mag=elm&dom=out#mode=base;slide=0

the clothing designs with these illusions that many are using these days are a great idea, but when they are put into practice they are always so ugly looking. I hate the color block type look that most of them use because it just makes me think of workout clothes.

that said, I love this dress!

http://www.elle.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/sandbox/objects-are-larger-than-they-appear/bill-blass-runway/7287991-1-eng-US/Bill-Blass-runway.jpg

casey
04-26-2012, 11:31 AM

That is interesting. Still can't make Victoria Beckham look curvy though!

chiapet
04-26-2012, 11:39 AM
Casey, definitely layers for Sasquatch, and remember that the weather can be all over the place (sunny, overcast, rainy, hail storms (infamously), windy, cold, hot). Clothes like jeans were worthless for me. Clothing that didn't dry easily made me miserable. I've had the best luck with bringing cotton pants and shorts or dresses, with leggings or tights or tall socks that I could put on underneath, once I got cold at night. I also brought a long sleeved knit shirt or a lightweight sweater for early evening, something that fits under a jacket without making me too warm.

I already mentioned how fucking cold it has been at night, but you're in a RV so you'll be fine. :)

casey
04-26-2012, 12:55 PM
The real trick will be fitting all this stuff into a carryon bag!

ENluv12
04-26-2012, 01:09 PM
^ Mail a bag to your hotel :)

scenicworld
04-26-2012, 01:14 PM
pack your carry on and then take a ridiculously large purse.

casey
04-26-2012, 01:40 PM
pack your carry on and then take a ridiculously large purse.

Ha! That's what I usually do. :)

scenicworld
04-26-2012, 01:42 PM
it's the only way, haha

amyzzz
04-26-2012, 02:40 PM
I don't think I can go to a fest without a sarong. they are just so handy! Use it as a blanket when you want to sit down somewhere. Tie it like a sash or scarf or even tied to a backpack as some sort of flair. Then when it gets cold, but not freezing, use it as a shawl over your shoulders or even a blanket to cover up.I did that this year and in many years past. Works great!

amyzzz
04-26-2012, 02:41 PM

Winslet in particular does look amazing in that photo.I think that dress looks horrible.

chiapet
04-26-2012, 03:01 PM
Agreed, sarongs are awesome. At warm festivals, I also soak them in water and then drape them over my shoulders/back, and it REALLY cools me off quickly.

cosmia
04-26-2012, 03:42 PM
not even sure why we need to try to look "slimmer", tbh. playing into fascist beauty ideals

amyzzz
04-26-2012, 03:50 PM
I don't know about you, but I'm trying to look fatter.

cosmia
04-26-2012, 03:50 PM
i'm trying neither :)

chiapet
04-26-2012, 04:09 PM
I hadn't looked at the article. A lot of those dresses are really unflattering. Don't these women have stylists? Who should help them pick dresses that don't accentuate their underarm flab?

Also those weird high waists with fitted/darted tops are really hard to wear.... you have to be precisely the right size (in the boob department) for the garment, or it looks awful. Too small, and it only highlights that you're smaller chested. Too large, and your boobs squeeze out below and it looks horrid.

algunz
04-26-2012, 04:24 PM
Are people really that daft to not see the body underneath?

amyzzz
04-26-2012, 04:25 PM
But it's an optical illusion!

scenicworld
04-26-2012, 05:00 PM
Agreed, sarongs are awesome. At warm festivals, I also soak them in water and then drape them over my shoulders/back, and it REALLY cools me off quickly.

this too! I forgot what it was like to go to a hot weather festival, lol.

scenicworld
04-26-2012, 05:07 PM
you have to be precisely the right size (in the boob department) for the garment, or it looks awful. Too small, and it only highlights that you're smaller chested. Too large, and your boobs squeeze out below and it looks horrid.

Speaking of bewbs, I had a consultation for a breast augmentation a few weeks ago. I lost nearly 200 pounds several years ago and my boobs tend to be really saggy now that I have so much extra skin (eew, I know). Currently I'm a small C and I mentioned I'd like to be a full C or even a D since I do have a rather large frame and I'm 5'9. My surgeon recommended 550 cc implants and I went with it because I told her what I wanted and trusted her opinion, but I googled 550 cc implants last night and realized that they are on the large size. if I'm a small C now, those implants would put me into the DD and beyond range and I just don't know! Now I'm thinking about backing off a little bit and going with 350 or 400 ccs, but I have to admit that the temptation of larger bewbs is definitely there since I've never really been big breasted.

Bewbs.

chiapet
04-26-2012, 05:19 PM
DD is not really that big if you are tall or have a large frame, or just aren't very skinny. I fluctuate between DDD & DDDD depending on my weight, and I mean, sure, most people notice that I have large boobs, but it's not ridiculous, I don't look like I've gotten huge implants or something.

But there are definite drawbacks. You can't find bras at as many stores, most of the low-end stores don't sell anything larger than D (sometimes don't even sell D), clothing doesn't fit as well, fitted tops with buttons / front fastenings are kind of a nightmare (you either buy them baggy or risk the top popping open at the most inopportune times). Even the things that you'd think would be helped by big boobs, like swimsuits? An issue. Bikinis usually don't cover enough, and sometimes you have to buy tall / long torso one pieces just to have enough fabric to cover your chest.

scenicworld
04-26-2012, 05:26 PM
You're probably right that DD isn't all that big, but I was still pretty shocked to see exactly how large those implants would be. Most before and afters were girls that were shorter and smaller than I am, so I might be reading too much into it. I have pretty much all of those problems already, so it wouldn't be all that different after surgery. A big difference might be buying based on my chest instead of based on my waist, so it might turn out to be a little easier for me. I still think I'd like to back off a little bit because all I wanted was more of a breast lift with a little bit of enhancement and I was definitely surprised by my research, especially after explaining my reasons for pursuing a BA in the first place.

at least I have until September to think about it and decide.

chiapet
04-26-2012, 05:29 PM
I'm assuming they always suggest a little on the large size? Probably a lot of women who go in for augmentation are hoping to be a little larger. C to D isn't that big of a jump, but IMO, D cup is still "big chested" without so many of the issues that an even larger size would be.

I really hope that I'm not going to have to consider doing it in the next few years. I only lost 30 lbs and it had a definite impact. I'd like to lose 30 more but I don't want really really saggy boobs....

scenicworld
04-26-2012, 05:37 PM
my girlfriends don't understand the issue I have with my saggy boobs. They see me at my best when I have the support I need and say my boobs look great, but without the support they look kind of gross (to me, my man friend doesn't seem to mind :cat).

Dropping only 60 pounds (seriously Beth, ONLY 60???) probably won't contribute too much, but since your boobs are on the large size to begin with, you may notice some sagging around 40 either way. I'm really upset with myself because I've put almost 50 of those 200 pounds back on, and it hasn't gone to places I'd be OK with gaining a little weight.

kitt kat
04-26-2012, 05:52 PM
This is going to sound strange, but my life coach wants me to ask as many people as I can the following question. Since you all kinda know my situation and the Girls thread isn't too hostile, I thought I'd start here.

The question is: How can I find confidence in myself?

I know people have said answers to this before, but I need to ask people and take the answers they give from me asking.

thelastgreatman
04-26-2012, 07:36 PM
... life coach? Please elaborate.

Originalbob
04-26-2012, 09:27 PM
With the augmentation talk: I would choose the smaller size. That way you have a smaller chance of regretting the massive increase. And yes, Heidi is on the spot, large boobs are all that amazing to talk about because fitting into close can be rather cumbersome and frustrating. I almost never wear button ups anymore, despite loving the collared look/flattering, because I pop open buttons and reveal unconscious cleavage and bra! I end up safety pinning them which can still be noticeable.

Kat, I recommend starting off finding one thing you really love about yourself, even if it's weird (I chose my hair and feet when I had to do this). Then, every morning repeat in the mirror positive reassurance. Such as, "I am a good person", "I love myself", or "I am good enough to do anything in life and will succeed"! I felt looking into my own eyes awkward, but used the mirror as if I was practicing lines in a play. Be sincere about it.

As soon as you've done this for a solid 2 weeks, go out into life and make decisions (starting small, for example: a new pair of shoes--something wild). DON'T double-doubt yourself and be confident in the decision you made. Feel proud to be independent, self-reliant and happy. Give it a try. I've done it, and it helped me work my insecurities out after my divorce.

romanticizer
04-26-2012, 09:44 PM
Any advice for getting over guilt and regret?

Originalbob
04-26-2012, 11:59 PM
What kind of guilt and regret?

Well, what's in the past cannot be undone and should be accepted in time.

locachica73
04-27-2012, 07:08 AM
Kat, I have told you this before but here we go, my ex husband did quite a good job at destroying my confidence, 8 years of being called gordita (fat, but the ita made it a term of endearment, WHATEVER), being told I shouldn't think the way I thought, I shouldn't feel the way I felt, the food I made was either too salty or no flavor, blah blah blah. If I put a normal amount of food on my plate I was going to get even fatter, if I didn't put enough on my plate I was going to get sick, nothing I did was right. So I had no confidence when I finally left. I would walk around with my head hung low, I wouldn't make eye contact, I had no friends, it sucked. Then I realized I was better then all of that and I started faking it. It will take awhile to build your confidence, but even if you don't feel the confidence yet make sure you walk into the room with your head held high, make eye contact, strike up a conversation with a stranger, it doesn't matter if that stranger is someone you want to bone or not, just the human contact and the use of your flirting skills will build more confidence. The more you fake it the more it will become your reality. I am still fat, not as fat but I am not a skinny girl, but I still manage to walk into a room with confidence because I know I am an awesome person. It took me a long time to realize that, just don't waste your 20's feeling like you are not good enough. I did, and it sucked.

ENluv12
04-27-2012, 07:17 AM
What kind of guilt and regret?
Well, what's in the past cannot be undone and should be accepted in time.

It all depends. Elaborate, if you want :)

casey
04-27-2012, 07:18 AM
Kat, I don't know you that well obviously but I think one thing you can do is learn to take a compliment. Instead of combatting positive words with negative thoughts, words, or feelings, just learn to say, "Thanks." Reflect on the compliments you've been given in the past if you're feeling low.

Find things you like about yourself, too. For example, I know one thing you pride yourself on is being a hard worker and earning things for yourself. The next time you feel bad about yourself remind yourself of how hard you've worked to get where you are and think of how well you're doing for someone your age. Focus on that instead of however your hair looks that day or the awkward conversation you had with someone. I know it's hard to do, but if you start thinking positively about yourself and also receiving/accepting the positivity people throw your way, I think it would help.

Hannahrain
04-27-2012, 07:19 AM
This is going to sound strange, but my life coach wants me to ask as many people as I can the following question. Since you all kinda know my situation and the Girls thread isn't too hostile, I thought I'd start here.

The question is: How can I find confidence in myself?

I know people have said answers to this before, but I need to ask people and take the answers they give from me asking.

Think about what kinds of favors other people ask you to do for them. They wouldn't ask for your help if they didn't have confidence in you, and they wouldn't ask you to do those specific things unless they thought you were better at them than other people.

ENluv12
04-27-2012, 07:26 AM
Kat- Something that helped me build confidence was similar to what Casey said. I didn't like myself much for a long time (2.5 years in a physically and emotionally abusive relationship) but I was always a great friend. I used to get screwed over by people a lot because I was always willing to do anything for my friends, yet that was never returned. I started focusing on the fact that I was a great friend and that someday I would build relationships that were worth while if I was just patient, because I was doing everything that I could. The confidence that I had in myself to be a good friend eventually grew.
So find something that you love about yourself and find ways that it relates to other areas of your life. I hope it helps.

locachica73
04-27-2012, 07:43 AM
Kat, I would also suggest finding a strong core group of girls to spend time with. When I first got back out into the world I found a group of older women I worked with that really helped me realize I wasn't the horrible person I thought I was.

ENluv12
04-27-2012, 07:46 AM
^ I could not agree more, Loca

scenicworld
04-27-2012, 07:59 AM
Great advice ladies. especially with surrounding yourself with a good group of friends.

Kat, start with finding one or two things that you really like about yourself and accentuate them. Try to put yourself in positions that those traits can excel in and you'll build more and more confidence in that area. then you can start finding other things that you like about yourself that you know you can be better with and start trying to make them stronger strengths that you can build on. Once you've identified your strengths and used them to your advantage in social and professional settings, you can start working on identifying your weakness and trying to overcome them as well.

ENluv12
04-27-2012, 08:01 AM
You girls make me wish we all lived close and could have weekly wine/discussion nights! :pulse:pulse:pulse:pulse

locachica73
04-27-2012, 08:05 AM
Agreed!

ENluv12
04-27-2012, 08:06 AM
Like a book club, without the reading! Although I do love me a good book.

scenicworld
04-27-2012, 08:51 AM
You girls make me wish we all lived close and could have weekly wine/discussion nights! :pulse:pulse:pulse:pulse

that would be great!!

I'm kinda local to you though :p

thelastgreatman
04-27-2012, 09:07 AM
LIFE COACH

ENluv12
04-27-2012, 09:16 AM
that would be great!!

I'm kinda local to you though :p

OOOOOH you ARE local to me! I live in Mira Mesa, too!

locachica73
04-27-2012, 09:33 AM
LIFE COACH

I am not exactly sure what a life coach is, I am imagining therapy with less crying, which doesn't sound too bad.

thelastgreatman
04-27-2012, 09:34 AM
I think I should be Katt's life coach.

locachica73
04-27-2012, 09:36 AM
I think that might include more crying.

thelastgreatman
04-27-2012, 09:37 AM
... Strangely, I think I'd be the one in tears.

ENluv12
04-27-2012, 09:39 AM
Everyone needs a good cry from time to time.

locachica73
04-27-2012, 09:44 AM
Everyone needs a good cry from time to time.

That is why I watch Parenthood (when no one is around).

amyzzz
04-27-2012, 09:48 AM
LIFE COACHYou don't belong in this thread. Shoo.

ENluv12
04-27-2012, 09:51 AM

My bf and I are fighting right now, we haven't talked in about 2 days.... I went home and watched stupid wedding shows on DVR last night and drank a bottle of wine. Crying is fantastic.

scenicworld
04-27-2012, 10:20 AM

I'm so happy about Crosby and Jasmine! :pulse

amyzzz
04-27-2012, 10:21 AM
I'm so happy about Crosby and Jasmine! :pulseFucking hell. SPOILERS, people. I'm still on season 2 on Netflix.

scenicworld
04-27-2012, 10:42 AM
so sorry!!!

kitt kat
04-27-2012, 04:15 PM
Thanks, ladies. I think it's time I start watching Parenthood again...

guedita
04-30-2012, 11:10 AM
I'm learning a lot about the women at the dive bar I've taken a residency at.

Mostly that they all do meth.

locachica73
04-30-2012, 11:23 AM
Dive bars are my favorite bars ever. I have come to realize I am old because I can no longer stand being in night clubs, but find a nice little hole in the wall bar somewhere, no name, just a sign over the door that says cocktails, a pool table, jukebox and a stiff drink and I am a happy fucking girl. But yeah, the waitresses and most of the women who have bellied up to the bar are on meth.

When I had lost all the weight I had lost a couple years ago one of the drunk ladies who always sat at the end of the bar came up and raved about how much weight I was losing and then told me "you know, that stuff will rott your teeth". I almost punched her.

ENluv12
04-30-2012, 11:29 AM
I needed a little pick me up today, thanks for that Loca! lol

chairmenmeow47
05-01-2012, 09:36 PM
is anyone watching girls on hbo? just watched the first episode and am hooked.

ThatGirl
05-02-2012, 05:40 AM

I watched Episode 3 of the first season and then got online to watch the first - a bunch of episodes will run tonight so I just set up a series taping. I think it's brilliant.

locachica73
05-02-2012, 05:40 AM
I don't get HBO or any pay channels, which sucks because I am almost caught up with Dexter and will have to wait for the new season to come out on Netflix. I am taking recommendations for new shows so let me know how it goes and I might add it to my list once it's out on DVD. We have Mad Men next I think.

lilee
05-02-2012, 06:26 AM

yes! i don't have HBO either so i have to mooch of people to watch it but i really like it so far as well. you should also check out Tiny Furniture [streaming on netflix] which was also written and directed by lena dunham. she's one clever lady, i'm a bit jealous.

scenicworld
05-02-2012, 07:27 AM
I've heard about the show, but haven't seen it yet. I think I'll have to schedule a date with my TV and get caught up OnDemand very soon :)

ENluv12
05-02-2012, 08:00 AM
I've heard about the show, but haven't seen it yet. I think I'll have to schedule a date with my TV and get caught up OnDemand very soon :)

Same here! I am so busy coaching, I am in the gym every night until 9 pm... so I never get to watch tv anymore! I think my DVR will have some work to do after tonight!

scenicworld
05-02-2012, 08:35 AM
my life has also been consumed by the gym, but in a completely different way since I never actually set foot inside of one.
(IT stuff for 24 hour)

chiapet
05-02-2012, 10:07 AM
I've watched the first few episodes of Girls and I think I like it... it has the potential to become really annoying really quickly though.

ENluv12
05-02-2012, 10:09 AM
I recently started watching the walking dead on netflicks, and by recent I mean I have seen 2 or 3 episodes. I know this is me being a total girl, the show freaks me out a little bit, yet I really like the story line etc. I guess I have to be in the right state of mind while watching...

scenicworld
05-02-2012, 10:12 AM
I've watched the first few episodes of Girls and I think I like it... it has the potential to become really annoying really quickly though.

I kind of got that impression from the previews, too.

I recently started watching the walking dead on netflicks, and by recent I mean I have seen 2 or 3 episodes. I know this is me being a total girl, the show freaks me out a little bit, yet I really like the story line etc. I guess I have to be in the right state of mind while watching...

I loved the first season even though it was a bit short. the second season seemed to take a really long time to get going, but the last half of the season was really great. I get a little squeamish at some points, but that's just part of the fun :)

I do recommend avoiding the walking dead thread though, since it's full of spoilers from the comics and all aired episodes.

ENluv12
05-02-2012, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I think part of the issue for me was I watch tv late at night, because I am rarely home before 9:30. So maybe a day time episode would bode well.

locachica73
05-02-2012, 10:22 AM
That is how I was with American Horror Story, I would only watch in the morning, so I wouldn't still have images in my head come bed time.

ENluv12
05-02-2012, 10:24 AM
Glad it isn't just me. My bf thinks I am being a baby about it, but I had some F'ed up dreams after that.

locachica73
05-02-2012, 10:27 AM
My BF thinks I am a baby about it too, until I had a nightmare and was screaming and punching in my sleep. He gets it now. :)

ENluv12
05-02-2012, 10:28 AM
^ Ha! Note to self, punch in my sleep=making my point.

casey
05-02-2012, 12:17 PM
Re: Girls. I really enjoyed the first episode but I wasn't a fan of the second one. It seemed like an obvious ripoff of SatC. 4 friends, all different, meeting to discuss their views on sex, friendships, and living in NY. The main character is even a writer, one of the girls is kind of an inexperienced prude, and one is supposed to be more worldly and free. I'm going to give it a couple more episodes to try to win me over but I'm not sure about it quite yet.

chairmenmeow47
05-02-2012, 02:05 PM
i guess when you put it that way casey, it is similar. but i viewed it as different because it reminded more of my life and other friends. me and my friends really don't spend $600 on shoes or care if we are at the major club opening rubbing elbows with b-list celebrities like sex in the city. i can relate more to the selfish friend who is always late and the girl who wants whatever she doesn't have. i most like the writer girl's "relationship" with that douchebag.

Lynn163
05-02-2012, 02:07 PM
I read all the Walking Dead comics (my son got me hooked) and LOVED them! I really like the series, but I get a little freaked watching it as well. I am a total baby when it comes to violence and suspense in movies/TV so don't feel bad.

I just read something about Girls. I'm out numbered in my house hold 3/1 so I never get to watch chick flicks.

ENluv12
05-02-2012, 02:17 PM
I wouldn't mind reading those. I am really glad that I am not the only one who got a little spooked by the series. I thought I was being way over sensitive! haha

chairmenmeow47
05-02-2012, 02:22 PM
also, i feel like casey's sex and the city description could apply to little women, aside from NYC. it's a little broad to say that any tv show about a group of girls is a rip off of sex and the city.

MusicIsMyBoyfriend
05-02-2012, 02:51 PM

I found the first episode a little annoying, probably because they were setting up everyone's personas and whatnot and it all felt very forced. The second episode was more tolerable, I lol'd quite a few times. The show is clever, and each girl is relateable in her own way (a la SATC "I'm a Carrie/Sam/Miranda/Charlotte", I was never more of one than the other but a mix of qualities of all of them). Gonna keep watching and see if it grows on me.

When I first started the show I was totally freaked out to watch it on my own. The first DVD had that zombie girl at the gas station turning and looking at you all creepily every five seconds on the episode menu. Gave me the creeps. But I totally got desensitized to zombie grossness (although the sound of them still icks me out) over the course of the show.

ENluv12
05-02-2012, 03:04 PM
I am hoping that is what happens because I really like the characters!

Lynn163
05-02-2012, 04:06 PM
They did a good job on casting, and I even like some of the changes they made. Sorry, I know this isn't the WD thread. Anyone watch 2 broke girls? I think it's really funny and you could make a drinking game out of all the blow job innuendos they make. Maybe there already is one.

casey
05-02-2012, 04:07 PM
i guess when you put it that way casey, it is similar. but i viewed it as different because it reminded more of my life and other friends. me and my friends really don't spend $600 on shoes or care if we are at the major club opening rubbing elbows with b-list celebrities like sex in the city. i can relate more to the selfish friend who is always late and the girl who wants whatever she doesn't have. i most like the writer girl's "relationship" with that douchebag.

I think my post came across as overly negative, though it wasn't meant to be that way. I agree with the part about the characters being more relatable to women our age, and that's why I initially watched the show in the first place. I think it's an interesting idea to cover women in their early 20s in today's society. I think it has potential, that second episode just seemed really rip-offy to me, even in the formula for how the story was told.

I'm about to watch the third one now, though. I will probably wait until season 1 is over to judge fully.

ENluv12
05-02-2012, 04:14 PM
Honestly, give me a bottle of wine and I will watch just about anything at this point. I am so over work right now. I am putting in about 80 hours this week between my "day job" and coaching these 2 teams. I need a break.

amyzzz
05-02-2012, 04:21 PM
I just finished season 2 of Parenthood on Netflix. I wasn't ready! I wonder is season 3 is on hulu plus yet. I haven't gotten around to watching Girls illegally yet. Maybe this weekend.

scenicworld
05-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Anyone watch 2 broke girls? I think it's really funny and you could make a drinking game out of all the blow job innuendos they make. Maybe there already is one.

I only started watching this show because it's on after How I Met Your Mother, but it's quickly becoming one of my favorite comedies along with The New Girl. I wish that the hot bartender guy was still around though. we could probably make our own drinking game based on the innuendo or entirely based on the escapades of the cook and the girls' upstairs neighbor (Stifler's mom, lol).

scenicworld
05-02-2012, 04:38 PM
I just finished season 2 of Parenthood on Netflix. I wasn't ready! I wonder is season 3 is on hulu plus yet. I haven't gotten around to watching Girls illegally yet. Maybe this weekend.

Is there even a season 3? I thought the latest season that just finished a couple months ago, was season 2. Ugh, it's hard to tell since so many network shows take these long breaks at the midway point. Did you get to my spoiler part yet?

amyzzz
05-02-2012, 04:42 PM
Yeah I got there. :)

scenicworld
05-02-2012, 04:47 PM
Cool, then you're all caught up! sorry to ruin that surprise since it did sort of come out of no where.

it was beyond sweet though :)

chairmenmeow47
05-02-2012, 05:24 PM
I think my post came across as overly negative, though it wasn't meant to be that way. I agree with the part about the characters being more relatable to women our age, and that's why I initially watched the show in the first place. I think it's an interesting idea to cover women in their early 20s in today's society. I think it has potential, that second episode just seemed really rip-offy to me, even in the formula for how the story was told.

I'm about to watch the third one now, though. I will probably wait until season 1 is over to judge fully.

i guess i was on enough pain pills to not be annoyed by it ;) i want more though! i watched all of those and all of veep last night.

casey
05-02-2012, 05:36 PM
Ivy, I liked the third episode much better. I'm back in! How did you like veep? It looks funny!

Lynn163
05-02-2012, 05:39 PM
ENluv12, you are one busy woman! I would need more than one bottle of wine.

chairmenmeow47
05-02-2012, 05:43 PM
veep is funny. not the best thing ever, but amusing. i love her aid, the guy from arrested development.

thelastgreatman
05-02-2012, 05:48 PM
Actually Girls is exactly like Sex And The City, except where Sex And The City was about effete, uninteresting, insultingly stereotyped women written by bad male gay writers, Girls feels like it's a much more realistic and entertaining story that legitimately comes from a female perspective of the current time. At least, I knew a lot of chicks from NY that it reminds me of. I've never met anyone who reminds me of Sex And The City, and if I did I wouldn't want to spend two fucking minutes talking to them about their vapid bullshit lives.

chairmenmeow47
05-02-2012, 05:51 PM
whatever, i'm probably an amy, but always wanted to be a beth.

http://thosegraces.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/little-women1.jpg

chiapet
05-02-2012, 05:56 PM

Could it be an age and generational thing? The Sex and the City story was intended to be women in their mid-30's, when the show started out. I was like 27 or 28 when the show started, and I'm a lot older than most of you. Also, the story was based on the author's own circle of friends and her experiences in NYC, and she is older yet -- her writing centered around women who arrived in Manhattan in their early 20's in the 1980's. I think that is evident in some of the references in the TV show even. They (Carrie especially) make references to aspects of Manhattan social life and culture that only Samantha would have been old enough to experience. I think that also has an effect on the materialism of the characters - they feel way more 80's / early 90's to me than 00's when the show aired.

Maybe I'd have more in common with SATC now if I re-watched it. So far when I watch Girls, I don't relate to them at all... except maybe to cringe and hope I wasn't like that / didn't do those things. ;)

chairmenmeow47
05-02-2012, 05:59 PM
i'm sure it is a generational thing. but i also don't ever see myself living their life, other than in my early twenties when i wasn't wearing uncomfortable $600 milano blanics, but instead was concerned about finding the right platform volatiles in which i could dance on my toes. but it was never about being around famous people or wearing designer clothes, it was about doing drugs and getting down.

i guess i get annoyed that the four girls in NYC tv show must be similar to sex and the city. think of the number of shows with men that take place in NYC. is king of queens the new seinfeld?

chairmenmeow47
05-02-2012, 06:44 PM
in other news, i hate putting on a bra just to go to the convenience store. i think i can get away with the arms crossed the whole time maneuver though.

LetThereBeLight
05-02-2012, 07:41 PM
in other news, i hate putting on a bra just to go to the convenience store. i think i can get away with the arms crossed the whole time maneuver though.

Hahaha. That is sometimes my Saturday morning dog walk game plan. Lol.

chiapet
05-02-2012, 07:42 PM
I go braless all the time, I just put a jacket on. Even if it's hot out. :P

LetThereBeLight
05-02-2012, 07:44 PM
I wish I could do that. Summers are way too brutal here.

locachica73
05-03-2012, 05:38 AM
They did a good job on casting, and I even like some of the changes they made. Sorry, I know this isn't the WD thread. Anyone watch 2 broke girls? I think it's really funny and you could make a drinking game out of all the blow job innuendos they make. Maybe there already is one.

This is one of the few shows that Nick and I can agree on watching together. I like the drinking game idea.

I also watch New Girl, the broken penis thing had me laughing pretty hard.

Originalbob
05-09-2012, 02:38 AM
I'm going to call you all out on The Walking Dead--not scary, maybe a little graphic, but I certainly don't mind it at all. I watched the whole first season in one sitting (I didn't go to sleep after I got home from work one morning) and am now looking for the 2nd Season to bum. I was nearly expecting more major characters to die because as they gather more survivors, they take their spot.

I need a good relaxation exercise. I used to have an essential oil diffuser, but haven't the foggiest of where it has ended up in my storage unit. I don't really have the silence nor privacy to do Yoga but with the way my stress level is going, I'm not foreseeing living past my 30s. I've never done mediation. I do enjoy plain ol stretching though. My "sanctuary time" only comes when I'm apply full body lotion, waiting for it to soak in and stretching with a yoga strap. Looking for other options.

RotationSlimWang
05-09-2012, 08:19 AM
You can do anything you want, if you're not meditating it's a waste of time. I have beginner instructions for how to get started with meditation practices that can help you learn how to control your emotions and general health and well-being if you want them.

amyzzz
05-09-2012, 08:49 AM
Randy, you don't belong in here.

rskapcat
05-09-2012, 09:06 AM
He's offering a sincere response to Bob's question. Plenty of guys have done the same in this thread.

amyzzz
05-09-2012, 09:09 AM
He doesn't belong in here and neither do they.

locachica73
05-09-2012, 09:12 AM
I kind of like when the boys come in and offer up advice to our girly issues. Unless we are talking about periods, hormones or child birth. Then they need to STFU.

amyzzz
05-09-2012, 09:16 AM
STFU Audra.

amyzzz
05-09-2012, 09:18 AM
Sorry. I'm on my period.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
05-09-2012, 09:20 AM
Tell us more!

algunz
05-09-2012, 09:23 AM
You can do anything you want, if you're not meditating it's a waste of time. I have beginner instructions for how to get started with meditation practices that can help you learn how to control your emotions and general health and well-being if you want them.

I'll take them.

chiapet
05-09-2012, 09:27 AM
Bob, I used to be extremely stressed out, it got to the point where I was having anxiety attacks fairly regularly. (Mostly job BS). My doctor was very much in favor of putting me on anti-anxiety meds, but they made me sleepy. (More than that actually - she put me on Klonopin which made me feel like I'd been roofied). So instead, I just tried hypnosis (1 session) and meditation instead. My "hypnotist" (er...) was more a meditation coach, if that makes sense. I found it really helpful. In fact, I've never had another anxiety attack in the 6 years since, even though my job is FAR more stressful now than it was then. It's not that the stressful situations don't present themselves - they do, quite often. I just learned how to deal with it better in the moment, and how to recover from it better day to day, week to week, if that makes sense. My coworkers take coffee/smoking breaks, sometimes I have to go meditate for a bit when I've had to deal with particularly awful people or work situations. Definitely agree with Randy that meditation is key for these situations.

locachica73
05-09-2012, 09:27 AM
Sorry. I'm on my period.

By next month we will have synced up.

amyzzz
05-09-2012, 09:29 AM
Bob, I used to be extremely stressed out, it got to the point where I was having anxiety attacks fairly regularly. (Mostly job BS). My doctor was very much in favor of putting me on anti-anxiety meds, but they made me sleepy. (More than that actually - she put me on Klonopin which made me feel like I'd been roofied). I just tried hypnosis (1 session) and meditation instead. My "hypnotist" (er...) was more a meditation coach, if that makes sense. I found it really helpful. In fact, I've never had another anxiety attack in the 6 years since, even though my job is FAR more stressful now than it was then. I just learned how to deal with it better in the moment, and how to recover from it better day to day, week to week, if that makes sense. Definitely agree with Randy that meditation is key for these situations.I prefer drugs. As long as they don't have bad long term effects, that is.

TomAz
05-09-2012, 09:30 AM
with the way my stress level is going, I'm not foreseeing living past my 30s.

So last week I got to hear an one-hour presentation from Robert Sapolsky who is a Stanford guy with a big beard but who makes a lot of sense despite being a soviet jew. He has made a career out of studying stress and its effects on the human body. I already knew of lot of what he said but the way he put it together made a complete picture that I had never contemplated. I liked it so much I went out the next day and bought one of his books (Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers).

We are all psychosocial creatures and most of our stress comes from human interactions (as opposed to, say, a lion chasing us on the savannah) and that stress never really goes away and it causes changes in our metabolism, our immune system, our reproductive system, our brain, etc etc etc. But one of the points he made is that some people clearly handle this better than others.. and that the number one indicator for how well people manage the physical affects of stress is not do they meditate, not do they do yoga, not do they go to church, not do they exercise, not do they drink a lot or not at all.. the number one indicator is do they have a support network (friends, family). This apparently is true in other primates as well.

amyzzz
05-09-2012, 09:31 AM
By next month we will have synced up.Mine started a week and a half late this month. I'm synching up with somebody. I hope my kid is not starting soon. I anticipate disgusting messes when menarche happens.

samiksha
05-09-2012, 09:37 AM
Your menstrual cycle is not something to apologize for, it's a thing that happens. Embrace it. It's not like your period makes you into a completely different person, there's no reason to be sorry for things you say and do just because you're hormonal or in pain.

locachica73
05-09-2012, 09:37 AM
Mine makes me a completely different person, I call her Fern. She's a raging bitch.

samiksha
05-09-2012, 09:42 AM
It doesn't! That's the problem! You're still yourself, you're just yourself under a different influence or with different priorities, and when you act like having mood swings or being more confrontational makes you a different person, you set aside and discredit a part of you that is important, and shouldn't just be treated like some crazy woman or a raging bitch.

amyzzz
05-09-2012, 09:43 AM
Your menstrual cycle is not something to apologize for, it's a thing that happens. Embrace it. It's not like your period makes you into a completely different person, there's no reason to be sorry for things you say and do just because you're hormonal or in pain.I was making a joke. I'm trying to make the boys leave. Although it is true.

TomAz
05-09-2012, 09:45 AM
I should have known better than to post something thoughtful when women are discussing their menses.

amyzzz
God, not me. I like drugs, but don't like to be dependent on taking anything regularly nor do I like feeling as if my nature has to be altered or suppressed by chemical means. I know going without medications is not an option for everyone or every time. For me, it's just far more positive to my mental state to be able to cope without them. Plus meditation works better than any drugs have for me.You're on a bunch of drugs for your allergies though, aren't you? I can imagine some issues with various drugs not interacting well together.

samiksha
Well, I'm tired of talking about periods, too. Which is, of course, why I started a conversation about them.

samiksha
05-09-2012, 09:46 AM
I should have known better than to post something thoughtful when women are discussing their menses.

hahaha

amyzzz
05-09-2012, 09:46 AM
I should have known better than to post something thoughtful when women are discussing their menses.I admit I hate having to throw you out with Randy. I just don't want Randy here in my safe place.

locachica73
05-09-2012, 09:47 AM
Sorry Tom, I read your post and am now googling the author so I can read one of his books. That will of course be after I read 50 shades of grey, I want to read anything the library considers so filthy it has to be banned.

casey
05-09-2012, 09:49 AM

I read what you wrote and wrote the name of the book down, if that makes you feel better. :)

casey
05-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Sorry Tom, I read your post and am now googling the author so I can read one of his books. That will of course be after I read 50 shades of grey, I want to read anything the library considers so filthy it has to be banned.

The girl who sits next to me at work got that book for her honeymoon. You'll have to tell me about it when you're done. I don't really care to read it but I just might out of curiosity someday.

locachica73
05-09-2012, 09:52 AM
I haven't read a book in years, stupid DVR, but I figure it might be something that will catch my attention while Nick's watching baseball or family guy. I will let you know! :)

amyzzz
05-09-2012, 09:52 AM
It's a sexytime book, right? I'll probably have to get it. For my one day a month.

locachica73
05-09-2012, 09:53 AM
Yeah, its apparently flying off the shelves. One of my bosses just showed me the Saturday Night Live skit they did on it where all the women were masturbating.

chiapet
05-09-2012, 10:02 AM
You're on a bunch of drugs for your allergies though, aren't you? I can imagine some issues with various drugs not interacting well together.

Nope! I have daily medications for my asthma, though. There's no getting around that for me, at this point, though thankfully I'm doing so much better these days that my pulmonologist will be stepping down my doses once I'm back from traveling :)

Let me be clear that I'm not discounting taking drugs when they are needed and when there are not other/easier options. I just don't like to be dependent on them or their effects.

amyzzz
05-09-2012, 10:04 AM
Whoops, asthma, sorry.

Believe me, my drugs are needed.

chiapet
05-09-2012, 10:05 AM
Okay, hold on. That book is: 1) a spin-off of Twilight fanfic; 2) about a master/slave relationship; and 3) is being made into a mainstream movie??
Really???

chiapet
05-09-2012, 10:06 AM
Believe me, my drugs are needed.

I know, and I'm not saying you shouldn't take them. I just think it's reasonable for people to explore other options before they turn to prescription drugs.

locachica73
05-09-2012, 10:18 AM
Okay, hold on. That book is: 1) a spin-off of Twilight fanfic; 2) about a master/slave relationship; and 3) is being made into a mainstream movie??
Really???

I hadn't read that much into it, I just figured it was the female version of porn, I watch enough porn directed at men that I thought it might be a nice change of pace.

amyzzz
05-09-2012, 10:55 AM
This lady supervisor told me it looked like I had put on weight recently.

ThatGirl
05-09-2012, 11:51 AM

I've read the 3 books in the series. It definitely has its moments.

ENluv12
05-09-2012, 11:52 AM
Amy, that is fucked up.

As to the book, my mom told me to read it because it started off really good, then the next day said not to because she was too embarrassed. I guess it was realllllly graphic.

amyzzz
05-09-2012, 11:55 AM
No, she was complimenting me. I've always been underweight, and they lady who said it is underweight and trying to gain weight. ;)

locachica73
05-09-2012, 11:56 AM
OK, I am sold, I am going to the book store on payday... do those still exist?

amyzzz
05-09-2012, 11:58 AM
Barnes n Nobles. And we have a Half Price Book store in Mesa -- there may be one in Paradise Valley too.

locachica73
05-09-2012, 12:00 PM
Now that you mention it I think there is a half price books by PV mall. I use to spend hours roaming book stores, I miss that. I need to cut some of the shit tv I watch out and start reading again.

ENluv12
05-09-2012, 02:16 PM
Well in that case, congrats! I was always underweight in college, but since I quit playing vb I don't seem to have that problem anymore :(

Originalbob
05-10-2012, 01:34 AM
(Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers).

.. the number one indicator is do they have a support network (friends, family).

yeah, about that. I've mapped out my circle of Best/Close Friends, Casual Friends and Aquaintences before and it's pretty pathetic.

Chia: So your one time hypnotherapist/mediation coach rubbed off for years? Or is there basic steps to start on your way of a lifetime of calm living?

RotationSlimWang
05-10-2012, 01:52 AM
Randy, you don't belong in here.

And you do? Face facts, Amy--the only reason it's assumed that you're female is that we're taking your word for it. At a glance I'd say your aesthetic falls way closer to a lonely 13 year old boy whose parents can't afford food, and your personality would lead any reasonable individual to guess that one of your parents was probably an ottoman.

RotationSlimWang
05-10-2012, 01:54 AM
This lady supervisor told me it looked like I had put on weight recently.
She's probably just saying that because you're bloated from retaining water. You'll be back to looking like a tent of human skin pulled tightly over a medical supply skeleton.

chiapet
05-10-2012, 06:01 AM
Chia: So your one time hypnotherapist/mediation coach rubbed off for years? Or is there basic steps to start on your way of a lifetime of calm living?

Well, yes, but but with lots of follow up work on my own. She had me "practice" meditating on a daily basis (even when I didn't feel I "needed" to), so that it's pretty easy to call up when a really stressful situation strikes.

amyzzz
05-10-2012, 09:06 AM
Well in that case, congrats! I was always underweight in college, but since I quit playing vb I don't seem to have that problem anymore :(The supervisor was telling me how she used to weigh 180 pounds, and I swear she does not look like she weighs more than 90 now. She said she preferred being overweight to underweight. I kind of wonder if she's sick, now that I think about it.

ENluv12
05-10-2012, 09:21 AM
On a different note, my gf is coming over tonight and we are drinking a bottle of wine, watching bad tv, and doing a moisturizing treatment on our hair. I am trying to figure out what to cook for dinner. I need girl time.

Originalbob
05-10-2012, 09:44 AM
chocolate cake sounds like a good dinner option to me

ENluv12
05-10-2012, 10:20 AM
mmmmmmmmm that DOES sound good. I think I shall make one!

BROKENDOLL
05-10-2012, 10:26 AM
Your menstrual cycle is not something to apologize for, it's a thing that happens. Embrace it. It's not like your period makes you into a completely different person, there's no reason to be sorry for things you say and do just because you're hormonal or in pain.
Well, you may be able to embrace your period, but mine makes me grow these baby goat like nubbins out of top of my head, and trying to embrace that is like trying to grab a bull by the horns.

Mine makes me a completely different person, I call her Fern. She's a raging bitch.
LOL Mine is too busy calling everyone else names to have one for herself.

I was making a joke. I'm trying to make the boys leave. Although it is true.
All I have to do is expose my nubbins and Pete suddenly remembers something he forgot to do at the shop. And I swear there's been a few times where he's actually forgotten where we live once he makes it out the door.

It's a sexytime book, right? I'll probably have to get it. For my one day a month.
Wait, Amyzzz... So, what you're saying is that on the one day each month that you let your stuff quiver, you'd rather read a book instead?

amyzzz
05-11-2012, 10:08 AM
I got that book. It's like Twilight crossed with Anne Rice's Sleeping Beauty books, and I kind of like it. Also, the heroine loves Thomas Hardy who is my favorite writer too.