PDA

View Full Version : The Girls Only Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77

chairmenmeow47
06-15-2010, 04:44 PM
not a coffee fan?

herro kitty
06-15-2010, 04:44 PM
Hehe! I feel like if I am the one making the first move, I'll be in control of the situation. I can be in charge of the pace and what happens! If they're not interested, I'll smile and dance away! If they are, I'll smile and dance closer!! :)

When I get hit on, I get flustered and awkward and say "no!" out of reflex because I think guys who hit on me must have fucked up motives.

NachoCat
06-15-2010, 04:57 PM
Ivy is that you in herro kitty's avatar?

same glasses... same pig tails... hmmmm

chairmenmeow47
06-15-2010, 05:00 PM
yes :) and that is I.F.A. on the left!

barb, what sort of motives are you worried about? kidnapping? pyramid scheme?

Hannahrain
06-15-2010, 07:41 PM
Came home with a black cocktail wrapdress, lace cami, and a satiny black shrug. I'm not in love with the dress, but it'll serve the purpose well and make my family happy.

miscorrections
06-15-2010, 08:15 PM
Sounds nice! Did you get shoes?

guedita
06-16-2010, 08:59 PM
I still don't get how balancing an obscene portion of my own body weight on the palms of my hand and being forced to look at my feet for absurd amounts of time while some chipper woman instructs me when to inhale or exhale, subsequently demanding to know where my breath is, is in any way uplifting for my mind, body, and spirit.

chiapet
06-16-2010, 09:38 PM
I'm getting very aggravated trying to pack for my trip. Mostly from a clothing perspective. I am completely out of space and feeling frustrated.

I'm taking a carry on sized suitcase (that I'm going to just check) and a large camping type backpack. I'm trying not to check the backpack, because then I'd have to take off the straps and harness and stuff. Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way and should just give in and check it, but it seems like it would get mangled by the baggage handlers.

I need to get rid of some clothing :/

The trip is like 11 festival days (6 days at one, 5 at another), 4 traveling days, and 9 days where I'll be in cities and will want to have slightly nicer things to wear. I'll have time to do laundry once about 10 days into the trip and again a week after that.

Oh, and it very well could rain through one or both of the festivals and I'd need dry clothes. Plus it's going to be cold-ish at night.

Here is what I've packed so far:

Festivals: 2 pairs of cargo pants, 4 tshirts, 1 tank top (wishful thinking), 1 dress; yoga pants + long sleeve top to sleep in or if I get cold; sweatshirt; rain jacket; rain boots; flip flops; sneakers.

City: 1 pair of dressy pants, 2 dressy shirts, 2 tank tops, 1 jacket; 1 pair of flats; small amount of jewelry.

I'll be wearing/carrying on a pair of plain pants, t-shirt, hoody, boots.

What can I drop?

BROKENDOLL
06-16-2010, 10:22 PM
I'm getting very aggravated trying to pack for my trip. Mostly from a clothing perspective. I am completely out of space and feeling frustrated.

I'm taking a carry on sized suitcase (that I'm going to just check) and a large camping type backpack. I'm trying not to check the backpack, because then I'd have to take off the straps and harness and stuff. Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way and should just give in and check it, but it seems like it would get mangled by the baggage handlers.

I need to get rid of some clothing :/

The trip is like 11 festival days (6 days at one, 5 at another), 4 traveling days, and 9 days where I'll be in cities and will want to have slightly nicer things to wear. I'll have time to do laundry once about 10 days into the trip and again a week after that.

Oh, and it very well could rain through one or both of the festivals and I'd need dry clothes. Plus it's going to be cold-ish at night.

Here is what I've packed so far:

Festivals: 2 pairs of cargo pants, 4 tshirts, 1 tank top (wishful thinking), 1 dress; yoga pants + long sleeve top to sleep in or if I get cold; sweatshirt; rain jacket; rain boots; flip flops; sneakers.

City: 1 pair of dressy pants, 2 dressy shirts, 2 tank tops, 1 jacket; 1 pair of flats; small amount of jewelry.

I'll be wearing/carrying on a pair of plain pants, t-shirt, hoody, boots.

What can I drop?
Well, seeing as this was what I packed for 3 days down the street for Coachella...
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w18/1BROKENDOLL/COACHELLA%20AND%20MUSIC%20SHIT/COACHELLA2010075.jpg
I'm probably not the one with the best advice. But...(And I really did analyze this.) I'd say drop the travelling boots and wear sneakers. Drop the sweatshirt because you'll have a hoodie and probably purchase a hoodie at one of the fests. (See? Shopping was included in my math! :)) And, I know rain is almost a given at the fest, but a raincoat seems like it would be a pain. Why not one of those camp rain coverings? Like a pancho?

How are you packing your clothes? Are you rolling them? Things like T-shirts, tanks, and pants can be rolled up to save a lot of space and helps keep wrinkles out.

Truthfully though...for the amount of time you're adventuring, I can't believe that's all you've got. You're 1 step from a pro in my book!

chiapet
06-16-2010, 10:25 PM
It's glastonbury, this is my worst case scenario:

http://www.glastonbury2010.info/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Glastonbury-rain-2.jpg

So the rain boots and rain jacket are not getting dropped. (But the jacket is not a plastic one, it's a soft roll up type). And yup, everything is rolled up. I have taken FAR more stuff than this before, I can't figure out why I'm fitting so little in my bags this time. I mean, aside from the camping gear. :)

Edited to say: trust me if I felt like I could leave the rain boots, I would, they're taking up like 1/4 of my suitcase and it's pissing me off!!! :)
I'm flying Virgin Atlantic and they apparently allow an extra bag for "fishing gear" which includes rain boots. I bet if mine weren't all pink and rainbow printed I could convince them this is fishing gear. :P

BROKENDOLL
06-16-2010, 10:29 PM
BTW...I've decided when I finally grow up, I want to be just like you! Have an awesome time full of unforgettable memories, and sights that many of us can only dream of! You are the Queen of Festivals!

chiapet
06-16-2010, 10:32 PM
fucking hell.

I finally broke down and called Virgin and apparently they do consider camping gear to be sports equipment so I could have an entire extra bag.

amyzzz
06-16-2010, 10:32 PM
Why can't you have rainbow-printed fishing gear, Heidi? :) Are you bringing those giant zip-loc bags to keep stuff dry? (or something similar).

BROKENDOLL
06-16-2010, 10:42 PM
Oh, my! You are quite the adventurer! Shit, since I see 2 peeps without pants, I'm assuming it's not a freezing rain. But there is a lot of it. YIKES! Personally, I'd just pack a bathing suit, the rainboots, and raincoat for the fest!~ LOL And I remember how cute your rainboots are, so there's no questioning that. In fact, who says you aren't a fashionable fisherman? Another thought would be wearing them over your shoes to board the plane, then slipping them off once you're in the air? It also occurred to me that if you can carry them on like fishing gear, think how much stuff you could pack in the boots? That's it! They take up 1/4 of the case empty, but fill them with smaller stuff!

Something tells me you've made a mental note to never travel with me. I understand...:lool

BROKENDOLL
06-16-2010, 10:46 PM
Ahhh, something tells me that Heidi's place has taken on a whole3 new appearance since my last post...Shit's flying everywhere and it's all about hallelujah! *giggles*

miscorrections
06-16-2010, 11:01 PM
Heidi, any waterproof shoes instead of boots? I know the shit can get deep at Glasto and all, but...wet wipes?

chiapet
06-16-2010, 11:07 PM
I did start repacking only to realize I don't really have another suitable bag, and I can't figure out how to get the hip harness thing off my pack. :)

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-16-2010, 11:38 PM
Every time I think about how much fun I would have about Glasto I think about that rain and that mud and I get fucking freaked. Good fucking luck.

chairmenmeow47
06-17-2010, 08:59 AM
heidi, maybe someone mentioned this, but can you tie your boots to your carryon bag? also, you could wear your sweatshirt and your jacket on the flight? kinda silly, but that would clear up some space until you get onto the plane. sweatshirts & jackets tend to take up a lot of space. you could also maybe wrap the rain jacket in your camping bag maybe if it's thin, slicker material? just some thoughts. best of luck and have a BLAST!

amyzzz
06-17-2010, 10:03 AM
I envy you so hard right now, Heidi. You'll have a blast, rain or not.

Hannahrain
06-17-2010, 10:12 AM
The mud doesn't intimidate me. The number of stages does.

BROKENDOLL
06-17-2010, 10:37 AM
Heidi, any waterproof shoes instead of boots? I know the shit can get deep at Glasto and all, but...wet wipes?

But, her rainboots are sooo cute! She's even practiced by standing in the shower with them on. Can't not take those, that's for sure! And I think Ivy's idea of layering is good too. Not sure how she feels about boarding the plane dressed like Cartman though. :)

chiapet
06-17-2010, 12:56 PM
Ivy, I am down with the ridiculous multi-layer dressing to avoid excess baggage fees. On long flights or red eyes, I usually also carry on sleeping clothes with the excess that I'm going to change into them during the flight.

Fortunately a couple of calls to my airline confirmed they will let me bring an extra bag for free for the camping + rain stuff (with the explanation that I'll be camping in England), so I'm moving some of my gear and rain boots to a separate bag and all is solved. :)

I was fretting over where the fuck to get another bag today (because of course I can't find my old gym bags when I need them), but when I was walking by the hardware store I saw they had fabric grocery-sack on wheels types bags. The kind you see people taking to grocery stores and markets. It looks sturdy enough to survive a couple of flights, and will become a Roskilde beer cart :)

chiapet
06-17-2010, 12:56 PM
And yes, I've decided the rain doesn't really scare me, and I'm going to have a brilliant time. Thanks all :)

Courtney
06-17-2010, 02:05 PM
Yesss BEER CART.

BROKENDOLL
06-17-2010, 02:17 PM
I would love to see Heidi standing in line dressed similar to a female Cartman in her rain boots and 3 layers of clothing, waiting to board the plane. Adorable. Can't wait for the returning stories of her adventure!

M Sparks
06-17-2010, 02:54 PM
RE: Being forward!

I like hitting on shy boys... I feel like if I am the one making the first move, I'll be in control of the situation. I can be in charge of the pace and what happens!

See, Barb knows what's what. If you ladies send the first signal, we know what pace to take it. If you get more aggressive, so do we. You want to take it slow, we can go slow. That doesn't mean we don't want to take more initiative, we just don't want to "run a red light". Because...

When I get hit on, I get flustered and awkward and say "no!" out of reflex because I think guys who hit on me must have fucked up motives.

miscorrections
06-17-2010, 02:58 PM
Dude wasn't working today. Not that I would've done anything anyway.

herro kitty
06-17-2010, 04:18 PM
Heidi, have fun!! How fucking exciting!!!! I like your beer cart idea :)

Corinna. If you feel like you get good vibes from this guy, don't hesitate! Just write your number with a smiley face on a slip of paper and hand it to him :D :D The worst that can happen is that he doesn't call you. You're super smoking hot though, who can resist?? Honestly, if I had half the size of your boobi- I mean brains... I would dominate the world!! :)

minogueCOMMAk
06-17-2010, 05:59 PM
Heidi, I just wanted to say have an amazing time! I can't wait to hear about your trip and I hope someone snaps a picture of you beer cart :)

chiapet
06-17-2010, 06:03 PM
Thank you gals, there will be lots and lots of pictures. :)

kitt kat
06-17-2010, 06:56 PM
HELP.

So I know this may offend some of you, but I beg you to take me seriously. Over the past three to four months, I've noticed I've been gaining an INSANE amount of weight in such a short amount of time. I am only 5'3" and, back in January, I weighed 115lbs. In March, I was 118lbs and OK with it. I am now at or nearing 130lbs. I am NOT HAPPY. None of my clothes fit and it's really starting to become a problem with me.

I haven't changed the way I eat at all. I eat the same things generally around the same time and in the same amounts as always. I may drink SLIGHTLY more, but for sure not enough to show this much weight gain. I've started hardcore exercising (I used to never go to the gym, now I go several times a week) and I've seen NO IMPROVEMENT.

My mom has a thyroid condition that caused her to gain a lot of weight and I'm starting to worry that I may have it too.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? I just want to get back to my normal weight and have my clothes fit again.

chiapet
06-17-2010, 07:09 PM
Why wouldn't people take you seriously?

So what's changed? Have you changed jobs where you are working at a desk now and used to stand for work? Are you out of college now (and not walking to/from class)? Even things like that which seem slight could add up to a couple hundred calories per day.

For how many weeks have you been working out, how long are you working out when you do work out? By "no improvement" do you mean that your clothes have not started to fit better, or that you have not lost weight? Because having not worked out before, you're probably going to initially gain weight by building muscle. And if it's only been a couple of weeks, you may not see noticeable changes.

At some point, your metabolism does start to slow down and you can't eat like you did when you were in high school or college and not get heavier. Do you actually eat well? (Even if you haven't changed what you're eating).

Courtney
06-17-2010, 07:33 PM
Kat -- This area is not my strong suit, but if you think it might be a medical condition, the obvious first step is to go to a doctor and get checked up. Then you can either figure out what it is and respond accordingly, or rule that out and move on to other underlying problems.

BROKENDOLL
06-17-2010, 08:20 PM
Kat, it wouldn't hurt to have your thyroid checked since your mom has thyroid gland issues. And, like Heidi said, your metabolism changes with age. Couple that with slightly more drinking and you'd be amazed how those calories stick to your body instead of burning off. I know you're exercising, but did you know that muscle weighs more than fat? When you say your clothes don't fit, are they like 2 sizes too small now, or just a little tougher to get them buttoned or feel uncomfortable? If you're like a size 3, with exercise you may need to go to a size 5. Not because your getting fat, but because you're building muscle. Muscle doesn't wobble and squish around to accommodate the cut of your clothing like fat does.

chairmenmeow47
06-17-2010, 08:41 PM
kat, talk to your doctor.

aside from that, aren't you in your early twenties? i think we all gained a lot of weight around that time. i know i did. though now that i watch what i eat more & exercise, i think i'm in a lot better shape than i was then. it may be something medical, but it may also just be that you're a woman now.

amyzzz
06-18-2010, 12:05 AM
Kat, do get that checked out ASAP. It's nice to see you in here for a change.

miscorrections
06-18-2010, 09:05 AM
I gained loads of weight post-graduation, it sucks. But yeah go to the doctor and figure out what's up.

I small-talked the hot cashier about the game when I got in this morning. He twinkled at me but he also dropped my change.

rskapcat
06-18-2010, 09:09 AM
Out of nerves because of your hotness, no doubt.

miscorrections
06-18-2010, 09:11 AM
I doubt it. WHY DID THERE HAVE TO BE SO MANY PEOPLE IN LINE BEHIND ME?

amyzzz
06-18-2010, 09:11 AM
Out of nerves because of your hotness, no doubt.
Srsly.

miscorrections
06-18-2010, 09:12 AM
Nah, I'm looking pretty rough today. Lots of drinking last night + passing the fuck out pretty late + waking up early for the game = haggard.

amyzzz
06-18-2010, 09:18 AM
I hate haggard Fridays. Been having quite a few lately.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-18-2010, 09:20 AM
I wish we had "Haggard Friday" as an actual event at my workplace. i would love to show up just looking as shitty and disheveled as possible. All of my favorite shirts and jeans look like swiss cheese now and I hardly ever have an appropriate time to wear them.

amyzzz
06-18-2010, 09:22 AM
I think Zombie Friday would be better, but I like how you think, Drinkey.

chiapet
06-18-2010, 10:21 AM
We work from home on Fridays, so usually I don't even put on pants before noon.

guedita
06-18-2010, 10:22 AM
Why do you even bother putting on pants post-noon?

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-18-2010, 10:35 AM
Even if I am spending the day at home, I cannot function until I take a shower and get dressed. I have never gotten the female thing about sitting around in pajamas at home. It might be this weird thing like I might have to leave the house at any given moment and I should be ready for it. i don't know.

miscorrections
06-18-2010, 10:42 AM
I do not sit around in pajamas at home. If I'm home I'm probably only wearing underpants.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-18-2010, 10:43 AM
I do not sit around in pajamas at home. If I'm home I'm probably only wearing underpants.

Do you sleep in pajamas and then take them off to lounge around in your underwear, or do you sleep in your underwear?

miscorrections
06-18-2010, 10:44 AM
I sleep in my underwear.

guedita
06-18-2010, 10:44 AM
Sometimes when I spend a day at home, I shower and change out of the pajamas I slept in and then put on a new set of lounging/pajama clothes. Don't hate....it's luxuriously comfortable.

chairmenmeow47
06-18-2010, 10:45 AM
i do that too, quedita. i just love PJs. pj pants, pj shorts, nightshirts, they're all so comfy. sometimes i lounge in my underwear, but i'm also a pussy and get kinda cold if i do.

amyzzz
06-18-2010, 10:50 AM
Even if I am spending the day at home, I cannot function until I take a shower and get dressed. I have never gotten the female thing about sitting around in pajamas at home. It might be this weird thing like I might have to leave the house at any given moment and I should be ready for it. i don't know.
It's starting to get to the point where everything you say is exactly how I am. Creepy. I don't like to go a day without showering unless I'm camping or I somehow have no access to a shower.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-18-2010, 10:54 AM
I sleep in my underwear.

Well, that's kind of my point then, isn't it?

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-18-2010, 10:56 AM
Sometimes when I spend a day at home, I shower and change out of the pajamas I slept in and then put on a new set of lounging/pajama clothes. Don't hate....it's luxuriously comfortable.

I am not hating on it, I simply mean that i don't understand it. Pretty much every girl I've dated and I'm friends with is all about the loungey clothes, and most often about putting off showers for as long as humanly possible. If they don't plan on leaving the house at all that day, maybe no shower at all.

I don't think of showers as a chore...it's like the same thing as coffee for me.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-18-2010, 10:57 AM
It's starting to get to the point where everything you say is exactly how I am. Creepy.

I am not sure how I feel about this.

J~$$$$
06-18-2010, 10:58 AM
Drinkey is a girl?

miscorrections
06-18-2010, 10:59 AM
I always shower, though.

amyzzz
06-18-2010, 11:01 AM
Drinkey is a girl?
No, I think I'm a boy.

J~$$$$
06-18-2010, 11:02 AM
I know. Your husband is gay. Didnt he bone a cop?

chairmenmeow47
06-18-2010, 11:03 AM
i shower, quedita said she does too. get some clean friends, drinkey.

amyzzz
06-18-2010, 11:05 AM
I know. Your husband is gay. Didnt he bone a cop?
I don't remember that one. :)

chiapet
06-18-2010, 11:54 AM
Why do you even bother putting on pants post-noon?

Coffee. And to be honest, it's not usually 'pants' but 'pajama bottoms'.

chiapet
06-18-2010, 11:56 AM
Yea, I don't sleep in pajamas either. They're lounging clothes for me.

Courtney
06-18-2010, 12:03 PM
I don't really have PJs either, just lingerie and then workout stuff like yoga pants. But I am going to need to start wearing actual clothes around the house, because too often I have to scramble for something covering when someone knocks on the door. And then by the time I get to the door, the person is giving up and walking away.

rskapcat
06-18-2010, 12:10 PM
I sleep in a t-shirt/tank top and underwear. PJ pants are for lounging. When I'm home...I'm in PJ pants. Example: I got home from the gym this morning and cleaned the house. After that, I showered and got back into my PJ pants and t-shirt. I decided to bring the husband some Jamba Juice since it is ridiculously hot today, so I put on shorts and a tank top. I returned home...and changed back into my PJ pants and t-shirt.

BROKENDOLL
06-18-2010, 01:03 PM
God, I feel a lot better after reading this last page. I thought it was just an unemployed thing. Now, if only I coulod find a job where I could wear my lounging clothes...

kitt kat
06-18-2010, 09:42 PM
but it may also just be that you're a woman now.

o_0 NOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo

Thnx for the advice everyone. Yes, I did just graduate, but I'm walking around just as much as before and I'm a notoriously "good" eater --- my diet is overloaded with fruits and veggies, I generally make most of my food...I eat "crap" (ie: LOTS OF CHEESE) but always in the same amount I have always done. I'll give it another few weeks and then we'll see...It suxxx hxc though.

And I meant people might get pissed because it DOES sound like "OMG I'M GETTING SO FAT BUT I'M NOT REALLY FAT" but in the context of the weight I've maintained over about 8 years and considering my height, I was concerned....

algunz
06-18-2010, 10:02 PM
I didn't read all of the above posts that thoroughly, but I didn't see any mention of birth control.

Have you changed your bc, kat? Hormones can put some people's weight onto a serious roller coaster.

chiapet
06-20-2010, 09:53 AM
My bullshit phone just killed my long post

Abbreviated version cuz I need to be off to dinner:

London is lovely, nice weather, I love shopping here. New dress:

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/xiuh/4718023492/

Bud Luster
06-20-2010, 09:57 AM
London is my favorite city on the planet. The shopping there is INSANE!

Pixiessp
06-20-2010, 11:29 AM
I usually sleep in a tank top and undies and put on pajama pants or shorts when I get up. There are no curtains on my kitchen windows and my neighbor is a little creepy. He never has lights on in his house and I'm convinced he sits in one of those darkened rooms and watches me.

My hair is particularly short right now and stands on end most mornings.
I do enjoy shocking him with my do.
He is a strange fellow. When I pull up in my car and he is outside, he immediately drops what he is doing and goes indoors.

obzen
06-20-2010, 11:55 AM
He is a strange fellow. When I pull up in my car and he is outside, he immediately drops what he is doing and goes indoors.

I laughed.

BROKENDOLL
06-20-2010, 03:49 PM
I shivered. Maybe if she hadn't mentioned the darkened windows all the time, I wouldn't have gotten that scary movie feeling about him going inside.

kitt kat
06-20-2010, 11:36 PM
Have you changed your bc, kat? Hormones can put some people's weight onto a serious roller coaster.

Nope. I love mine. Made me lose weight in the beginning and really up until now and helped with the skin occasionally...

Speaking of skin care, I'm gonna do a girly shoutout for....

http://www.ulta.com/images/products/detail/2161588.jpg

THIS SHIT CHANGED MY LIFE. I have had BAD breakouts for a long time --- not zitty ones, but hormonally related ones all along my cheeks. Sometimes, it would get so bad, I'd get horribly depressed. Nothing seemed to help, really, and it would go through "good months" and "bad months." I lived on concealer from ages 12-16, it got slightly OK from 16-18/19...Birth control helped in the beginning, but a few months ago, it was being bad again.

It was right before SXSW and I was at the mall buying some lipstick at Sephora. I broke down and began talking to their esthetician. I generally don't believe shit from people at stores because they're generally trying to get you to buy crap. However, I let this girl run me few a BUNCH of products for about an hour and she highly reccomended it and suggested my problem may lie in soap-based acne washes. I bought it and...FUCK. A month after using it, no zits. I now get one or two before my period or when I forget to take my makeup off, but I never cry about my skin anymore. My boyfriend even noticed within a few weeks and now says my skin has never looked better. Plus, I bought it in mid March, wash twice a day, and still have enough to take me through July. Well worth the $28.00. LOVE IT.

miscorrections
06-21-2010, 09:01 AM
One of these days I am going to poison everyone in the building so when I'm getting rung up for coffee I have plenty of time to chat with the cashier. It's extremely irksome to have to move on after just a brief how-are-you-good-how-was-your-weekend-alright-just-the-coffee. He did touch my hand when giving me change again, though.

captncrzy
06-21-2010, 09:02 AM
So I tried on my wedding dress yesterday. I need to lose 10 pounds.

Also picked up our wedding bands; my hands were so swollen from the heat outside they almost got stuck.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j251/captncrzy/rings-1.jpg

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-21-2010, 09:16 AM
One of these days I am going to poison everyone in the building so when I'm getting rung up for coffee I have plenty of time to chat with the cashier. It's extremely irksome to have to move on after just a brief how-are-you-good-how-was-your-weekend-alright-just-the-coffee. He did touch my hand when giving me change again, though.

I find myself coming in here looking for these updates now. It's like reading the slowest romance story of all time unfold. it's great.

I.F.A.
06-21-2010, 09:16 AM
Nope. I love mine. Made me lose weight in the beginning and really up until now and helped with the skin occasionally...

Speaking of skin care, I'm gonna do a girly shoutout for....

I have the same problem, and I recently (at my dermatologist's recommendation) switched to just using Cetaphil and benzoyl peroxide (before I used a bunch of $$ Origins products). Huge difference, and much, much cheaper.

So I tried on my wedding dress yesterday. I need to lose 10 pounds.

Also picked up our wedding bands; my hands were so swollen from the heat outside they almost got stuck.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j251/captncrzy/rings-1.jpg

Gorgeous ring. :)

miscorrections
06-21-2010, 09:18 AM
I find myself coming in here looking for these updates now. It's like reading the slowest romance story of all time unfold. it's great.

Yeah, poisoning is super romantic. Also I still don't even know his name.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-21-2010, 09:20 AM
Yeah, poisoning is super romantic. Also I still don't even know his name.

Nothing says romance like "i murdered everyone in the building so I could flirt with the coffee guy"

Hannahrain
06-21-2010, 09:21 AM
Poisoning has been romantic in historical and literary contexts before. It's not like you'd have to carve yourself an entirely new niche. There'd probably even already be a relevant psychiatric group to which you'd be assigned for the gesture. I say go for it.

chairmenmeow47
06-21-2010, 09:23 AM
as i once said after making out with some guy on new years eve, "what's his name gotta do with me?!" bring on the poison, corinna. i'd suggest slipping your number like someone else said, but i imagine it would suck to keep going back for coffee after that.

nice ring, jen! at least you have a few months to get rid of those ten pounds ;) i have the opposite problem; most of my rings are too large. randy got me a ring for our anniversary last year and it ALWAYS slips off. one time i was putting papers in the recycling bin and it fell off in there. the girls were laughing at me because i had turned the bin upside down to shake it out.

i ran out of my murad face lotion awhile back and recently my face wash. i'm finding that normal wash and normal lotion are finally doing the trick. i guess i'm officially old now lol. but it's nice to know i don't have to drop a ton of money on facewash.

kat, have you gone to the doctor yet?

miscorrections
06-21-2010, 09:25 AM
I ran out of my skin-cleanser pads (Peter Thomas Roth, from Sephora) but my skin (except my chin, which is semi-questionable) seems to be doing alright. It's a bit dry, but that's why lotion was invented (I use the Clinique whatever lotion, the yellow stuff, it works pretty well).

Hannahrain
06-21-2010, 09:26 AM
I don't use anything special on my face. Once a month or so I remember to put night cream on, but nothing other than that. I'm terrible at being a woman. My skin is going to look like the inside surface of a pita pocket someday.

chairmenmeow47
06-21-2010, 09:28 AM
well at least we know you'll absorb hummus well.

miscorrections
06-21-2010, 09:29 AM
I can't wait to make a gyro with Hannah's face.

I.F.A.
06-21-2010, 09:31 AM
Ivy - http://www.ringguardsplus.com/plastic_ring_guard_p/635.htm ;)

Also, on the skin care front, I'm all about Jojoba oil. My skin is super oily, so regular moisturizers just make me break out worse. Jojoba oil absorbs really well, and also seems to help with the break outs.

chairmenmeow47
06-21-2010, 09:33 AM
thanks amy :)

guedita
06-21-2010, 09:37 AM
I use Murad skin care products and it's done a pretty good job, although recently I've been breaking out. I pick at my face though so it's partly on me. Whenever I drink I seem to break out more, too...which gives me another good reason to lay off the booze.

miscorrections
06-21-2010, 09:45 AM
I tried Murad but it seriously did not work for me. At all.

chairmenmeow47
06-21-2010, 09:50 AM
it worked well for me, but i'm sure any regimented face system would have worked well when i had a lot of acne. there used to be a murad store here and i was sold on the stuff after getting a marvelous facial from them. i don't do manicures or pedicures or go to real hair salons or anything, but man, i love a good facial.

rskapcat
06-21-2010, 09:53 AM
I've used Clinique for at least 5 or 6 years. It's always worked well, so I've never strayed. Why mess with what works, right?

bleep
06-21-2010, 10:52 AM
i'm a L'Occitane skin care products junkie.

chairmenmeow47
06-21-2010, 10:53 AM
i wish they would go back to selling their sandalwood bar soap. shit was bomb and smells exactly how soap should smell.

kitt kat
06-21-2010, 11:13 AM
kat, have you gone to the doctor yet?

I'm going home over 4th of July weekend and I'm going to have my mom make me an appointment with my doctor there. The LA Kaiser doctors suck.

Pixiessp
06-21-2010, 11:41 AM
Estee Lauder seems to work well for me.

BROKENDOLL
06-21-2010, 11:48 AM
I would give anything to be worried about a zit right now, or whether or not I look like a pita pocket. Instead, I'm getting really concerned about how much damage I've done to myself after fainting and hitting my head 2 weeks ago.

It started with that weird dizzy feeling, so I put my head down and waited. Felt good enough to get up and head straight for the bed. All I remember is Pete asking, "WTF are you doing?" And I realized when I had to open my eyes and look up to answer, whatever it was, wasn't right. I had bitten the shit out of my lip, skinned my knee, and pretty much scared the shit out of myself. (He had already been asleep, so neither of us know how hard or what I may have hit.) Other than my swollen lip and a slight backache, I felt okay for the first week. I started noticing shakiness and that airheaded feeling a day or two after that, followed by weakness in my limbs, so I've been spending a lot of time in bed since then, thinking rest and let your body heal. (Oh, and don't forget to search the internet so you can stress yourself out further thinking you have a brain tumor or something...:rolleyes

While watching Tv afew nights ago, my back began to burn and ache, and my arms and legs took turns twitching. I haven't had a headache or thrown up, so that erased the brain tumor idea, but something's most definitely wrong. The biggest wrong is not having insurance, so I'm feeling like I should be out digging a hole to throw myself into. I'm just too weak to do it.
Pete is trying to get me on his insurance, but you know how paperwork goes for that kind of shit. Urgent care said they can't do anything without an MRI, so I've been stressing even more, which isn't helping. When I start trying to figure out what to do next, I find myself in tears without an answer. WTF??? What if I just crawl into an emergency room weeping, "Help?" Are they gonna hand me an aspirin and say, "We're sorry, but you need to have money for us to fix you?" Or, what?

guedita
06-21-2010, 12:13 PM
You could try this: http://www.medicaldiscounts.com/mri.htm

HowToDisappear
06-21-2010, 12:42 PM
Uhhh...that sounds scary Beverly. Go to a local non-profit public clinic to at least get yourself checked out.You are unemployed, so you might qualify for Medi-Cal. If you don't, public clinics will just have you pay on a sliding scale based on your income (or lack thereof). If you need subsequent testing of some sort, I suppose they will refer you. Back in the day, when we didn't have insurance, I would do that. These clinics are usually quite busy (understandably), but they were always kind and professional and charged as little as they could.

Indio Family Care Clinic (http://www.rivco-familycarecenters.org/indio.htm)

On the other hand, if you feel there's something seriously wrong, go to the hospital and worry about the bill later.

Courtney
06-21-2010, 12:46 PM
Bev, I'm so sorry you're going though this.

Did you have health insurance until recently? If so, you should be able to sign up for a COBRA plan as a stop-gap until Pete is able to get you on his plan. COBRA lasts a year and a half after you lose your insurance due to employment loss/termination, and I think sign-up is even retroactively applicable to charges for the first 30-60 days if you go to the hospital and THEN decide to sign up later.

Even if you don't have insurance, I'm pretty sure California is one of the states that requires hospitals to provide emergency care for all patients regardless of their ability to pay. Unfortunately, those services may put you pretty deep into debt if you don't have insurance. But they can't turn you away if you have a critical medical condition. And you know, better to be broke than to be dead, right?

BROKENDOLL
06-21-2010, 12:49 PM
You could try this: http://www.medicaldiscounts.com/mri.htm
OMG, THANK YOU, CARA!!! I finally made an appointment with a Chiropractor close by who can do X-rays, and if he thinks an MRI is necessary we'd go from there. With this link, you've just relieved a lot of my stress and fear! Seriously, thank you from my aching back!:pulse:pulse:pulse

miscorrections
06-22-2010, 08:19 AM
I am wearing a super-cleavagey dress today. It is not, perhaps, the most professional I've ever looked.

Hannahrain
06-22-2010, 08:20 AM
It's probably so exhausting looking that hot that you're going to need a few extra coffees.

Bud Luster
06-22-2010, 08:22 AM
I am wearing a super-cleavagey dress today. It is not, perhaps, the most professional I've ever looked.

It depends on the profession I suppose.

amyzzz
06-22-2010, 08:23 AM
I'm anxiously awaiting the results.

miscorrections
06-22-2010, 08:47 AM
Dunno, didn't see the dude at the register. Will probably go down in about an hour to scope things out. Also, the dress was not for him, it's because there's some sun today and it made me want to wear a dress.

amyzzz
06-22-2010, 08:51 AM
Also, the dress was not for him, it's because there's some sun today and it made me want to wear a dress.
Uh-huh.

miscorrections
06-22-2010, 09:11 AM
For reals.

miscorrections
06-22-2010, 11:37 AM
Cashier is wearing a Mogwai shirt. IT'S MEANT TO BE.

miscorrections
06-22-2010, 11:37 AM
Also I got a second opinion and my undergrad think he is both cute and tall.

chairmenmeow47
06-22-2010, 11:39 AM
there was a debate on the tall part?

downingthief
06-22-2010, 11:43 AM

Less talk, more doing.

Thanks for letting me visit your lovely thread, ladies. :)

herro kitty
06-22-2010, 11:54 AM
So I've been using Progaine for about a week... and I know results aren't supposed to really be visible until after 4 months, but I swear that my part is thicker now! At least I think so.. and that's half the battle, right? :)

miscorrections
06-22-2010, 11:56 AM
there was a debate on the tall part?

On the actual height. We're agreed that he's 6'1"-6'2".

amyzzz
06-22-2010, 11:56 AM
That's great, Barb. My sister advised me to use something like that. I was commiserating with both my sister and brother over the weekend about hair loss. They are worse off than I am at least.

edit: also, she uses a spray-on product called Bumble (I think). She has actual bald spots though which I do not have.

herro kitty
06-22-2010, 11:57 AM
I went to a dermatologist and she said the earlier you use it, the more effective it'll be. It's now or never, Amy!

amyzzz
06-22-2010, 11:59 AM
Goddamnit, I need a new dermatologist. Mine never said ANYTHING about using that. :nono

kitt kat
06-22-2010, 12:28 PM

JUST DO IT ALREADY. PERFECT ICE BREAKERRRR.

miscorrections
06-22-2010, 12:31 PM
I said "nice shirt" and he had to check what shirt it actually was and I think he got a li'l flustered.

amyzzz
06-22-2010, 12:33 PM
Awww. Cute.

miscorrections
06-22-2010, 12:45 PM
I'm probably projecting here.

kitt kat
06-22-2010, 01:04 PM
AWWW. OK, dude. You seriously have to make SOME move.

Like, do you still not know his name? Next time you go there, say something all cute and girly girly, like, "You know, we've been talking all these times and I don't even know your name."

Which will give you a response. I mean, you have to know his name! What if it's like, Jim Bob?

And then, you'll be ready for the next move, but in a couple of days of course ;)

miscorrections
06-22-2010, 01:16 PM
Wellllll I'll be staggering in for coffee after the game tomorrow so maybe I will ask his name then. I will probably look crazy shitty, though.

chiapet
06-22-2010, 02:11 PM
MOGWAI shirt. Don't ask his name. Just ask him out.

miscorrections
06-22-2010, 03:38 PM
Just bought my bridesmaid dress. I feel so timely and accomplished and like a good friend.

chairmenmeow47
06-22-2010, 04:28 PM
i can't imagine how people wear flip-flops all the time. i've had to wear them for my broken toe and my feet have been so gross! i wash them like twice a day, yuck!!!

miscorrections
06-23-2010, 08:49 AM
We won. I talked to the cashier about the game. His name is Matt.

I am experiencing a moment of perfect happiness (to clarify: most of that is because of the game and the Irish coffee/two Bloody Marys I had during).

rskapcat
06-23-2010, 08:50 AM
Aww. That put a big smile on my face, Corinna.

chairmenmeow47
06-23-2010, 08:51 AM
awwww, huzzah corinna :) one step closer!

much better than waking up to a message from your ex asking him to congratulate you on something like i did. wtf?! i'm not your mom.

amyzzz
06-23-2010, 08:53 AM
Jesus Christ, not another Matt! (so glad you took the plunge and got his name though :) )

miscorrections
06-23-2010, 08:56 AM
I was just like, "I see you every day - what's your name?" And then I told him it was nice to properly meet him. We chatted about the game after he rung me up while he was ringing someone else up. He hasn't been able to watch because he works 6:30-2 (he volunteered that info, I didn't ask).

rskapcat
06-23-2010, 08:59 AM
Sounds like you need to schedule a coffee run around 1:57.

HowToDisappear
06-23-2010, 09:11 AM
Excellent idea. :)

And call him Matthew, not Matt. (Unless he says only his mother calls him that, and that he hates it.)

kitt kat
06-23-2010, 11:37 AM
I was just like, "I see you every day - what's your name?" And then I told him it was nice to properly meet him. We chatted about the game after he rung me up while he was ringing someone else up. He hasn't been able to watch because he works 6:30-2 (he volunteered that info, I didn't ask).

YESSSSSSSSSS HIGH FIVE, GURLLLLLLLL!!!!

Start planning yr next move...

hawkingvsreeve
06-23-2010, 12:27 PM
This is so telling.

Edit:

I feel like David Attenborough should be narrating this page while talking about pack mating behavior.

hawkingvsreeve
06-23-2010, 12:29 PM
Actually, girls.

Thoughts on someone asking you out while you are at work?

Go.

miscorrections
06-23-2010, 12:30 PM
Yeah when I read through this I look like the most pathetic person ever. It's kind of embarrassing.

miscorrections
06-23-2010, 12:31 PM
It depends on what you're doing when getting asked out, how often you see the person who asks you out, and obvs. who is asking. I think it's generally alright as long as it's an appropriate time.

hawkingvsreeve
You know that isnt what I meant.

Edit:

In re: "pathetic"

guedita
Asking you out while you are working and they aren't?

guedita
06-23-2010, 12:33 PM
A delivery guy asked me out while I was working as a receptionist one summer. He sort of wouldn't leave til I gave him my number and then he texted me all summer inviting me to go hottubbing, but I kept forgetting who he was because I was so stoned.

hawkingvsreeve
06-23-2010, 12:34 PM
No.

Let's say I am in Corinna's position. I frequent a place that has an employee I fancy. What are the rules here as far as pursuing said employee?

kitt kat
06-23-2010, 12:37 PM
Ugh. This just reminded me of when I worked at the mall in high school and this bro would always come by and talk to me. Then he asked me out. I obvs said no.

He was stalkery and shit, though, and I was NOT attracted.

chairmenmeow47
06-23-2010, 12:37 PM
i don't think it's completely inappropriate to ask someone out... once. i think if you both work together, you should have SOME sort of rapport together. otherwise, it will make work extremely awkward. if you at least have some sort of friendly relationship, asking them out won't be completely out of left field and will be less likely to involve HR. if they say no though, you have to leave it at that.

*edit after seeing brandon's comment* i think it's fine to ask someone out if you have had a friendly chat or something while they are working. but be appropriate. if their boss is standing nearby or they appear to be really busy, that is not the time. and don't start the conversation with "you remind me of my daughter". that was one of the grossest encounters i ever had. also, don't fucking stalk them. i have had similar experiences to kat's. making someone uncomfortable at work is not the best way to start a relationship. i used to just move one of my rings on my left ring finger to try to prevent that shit from happening, which mostly worked. some people are going to be creepy no matter what though.

hawkingvsreeve
06-23-2010, 12:39 PM
You girls are killing me here.

BROKENDOLL
06-23-2010, 12:39 PM
Okay ladies, I'm not sure if my emotions need to be put in check here, so help me out, please... Yes, I went for an MRI yesterday, as promised. Not sure what the status is with Pete's insurance, or if he's actually even checked further, so I paid out of my pocket. (Goodbye unemployment check. :() But, I got it done, and felt a sense of accomplishment afterwards. There may still be concern, but I haven't gotten the results yet. Maybe this afternoon or tomorrow. ANYWAY...

With regards to EDC, we already had tickets and a room that Pete got. He's already cancelled the room and checked about the tickets. No refunds, and because they're will call, the person purchasing has to pick them up. Once he has them, he can use them, sell them, or what the fuck ever he wants to do with them. He just called to imform me of this, which eases my mind about any $ being lost on them. Then he tells me that since WE have to drive up there anyway to get them, we may as well just go and if I need a wheelchair, so be it.

Excuse me, but are you concerned about my results first, or not? Needless to say, the call didn't end well, and now I'm feeling funky again because of stressing over it. Is it wrong for me to feel that he's a piece of shit right now? I even told him if it was that important, then go because to me, my health ranks number one.

I mean, for once, I actually think I have my priorities straight, and my Romeo doesn't seem to get it...WTF??? I can actually feel my blood pressure climbing and it sucks!

guedita
06-23-2010, 12:42 PM
No.

Let's say I am in Corinna's position. I frequent a place that has an employee I fancy. What are the rules here as far as pursuing said employee?

I don't think there are any rules. If it's something like a coffee shop, you'd probably not be the first person to ask her out. If you have a friendly camaraderie with her and you talk on a regular basis then I think it's totally appropriate to ask her out to a movie or a show.

BROKENDOLL
06-23-2010, 12:43 PM
Fucking men...They can all be replaced with two "C" batteries!!!

hawkingvsreeve
06-23-2010, 12:44 PM
I would give him the benefit of the doubt in that he probably wasnt expecting you to have results yet, and as such is trying to work through all the logistics to help you through this situation. But that is just me.

miscorrections
06-23-2010, 12:45 PM
Uh...I'm with Pete. I'd go and have a good time and if you need a wheelchair then no big.

miscorrections
06-23-2010, 12:46 PM
And Brandon, I think it's totally appropriate.

guedita
06-23-2010, 12:47 PM
BD, someone else can pick up your tickets from will call if they have a copy of the credit card used (only the last 4 numbers matter, others can be blurred out) and a copy of the Drivers License of whoever purchased them. People on here may be interested, if you're willing to sell them a little under face value and cut your losses.

chairmenmeow47
06-23-2010, 12:47 PM
if i didn't want to go, i'd tell him to have a great time and let me rest home alone in peace. but that is just me.

BROKENDOLL
06-23-2010, 12:48 PM
Wait...I don't think Brandon can be replaced by batteries...Did he just ask if there are rules first? Did he just exhibit manners and consideration for a woman's feelings about something? OMG, I take back what I said about all men!

locachica73
06-23-2010, 12:51 PM
I agree with Ivy. Well, actually I would go, health be damned, but my priorities suck. :)

chairmenmeow47
06-23-2010, 12:55 PM
it just sounds like she doesn't want to go, which is why i made that statement. if you do want to go, get the wheelchair!

speaking of men not having priorities straight though, did anyone else hear this article on marketplace yesterday?

Economic Troubles Lead to "End of Men"

link to article (http://marketplace.publicradio.org/display/web/2010/06/22/pm-economic-troubles-lead-to-end-of-men-q/)

Some of the few industries still hiring are dominated by women, while other industries classically staffed by men are slowly dying out. The Atlantic's Hanna Rosin talks with Kai Ryssdal about an article she wrote that discusses why men are getting squeezed out of the economy.

TEXT OF INTERVIEW

Kai Ryssdal: There was a point, late last year and early this, where women were a majority of the American workforce. Men are back at just over 50 percent in the latest survey, mostly because of seasonal changes in the kinds of work the economy provides. But, in general, this recession has put far more men out of work than it has women. Changes in the labor force could be just a symptom of larger gender-based disruptions in society and the economy.

Hanna Rosin writes in The Atlantic magazine this month about the economic troubles men are having in an article called "The End of Men." Hanna, welcome to the program.

Hanna Rosin: Thank you. I'm glad to be here.

Ryssdal: Couldn't help but notice -- and I get that you don't write the headlines for your articles -- but there was no question mark on the "End of Men." It's kind of done already, right?

Rosin: That's true. Usually you can convince the editors to at least put a question mark to save you the barrage of e-mails that you'll get later, vilifying your article. So, it's true, there is no question mark, that's true.

Ryssdal: It's basically, we're living through the change right now. This recession has brought the changes and the future is us.

Rosin: I would say that this recession has sort of accelerated and uncovered the changes that they've been happening for a long time in the economy and in relationships. But the recession kind of made us all see them in a way that maybe we wouldn't have sat up and taken notice earlier.

Ryssdal: Is it as simple as saying that the new economy, the 21st century economy, is just better suited to the skills and talents that women have?

Rosin: It might be that because you couldn't argue, say, for example, that women have gotten smarter than men, that we've bred a superior breed of woman. I mean, that certainly is not true. But it does seems to be that whatever skills are required -- I mean, you can take college as the most obvious example. How can you explain to yourself why women do better in college, or why women do better in school. It's not that men and women have radically changed or women are a lot smarter. It just seems to be whatever skills are required these days, women seem to be better at them.

Ryssdal: And it translates into the workforce, these management issues and all of that.

Rosin: Yes. If you look at job growth in the future economy, you take the top 15 jobs, and the great majority of them are jobs that tend to be dominated by women. I mean, the irony there is that they're nurturing-type jobs. They're jobs that open up because upper-class women are going more and more into the work force. And so, then middle and working-class and lower-working class women start to do the jobs that those women used to do for free, such as child care and elder care and food preparation, for example.

Ryssdal: You have this great series of quotes from these college-aged women. You went out to Missouri, I guess, and you talked to these obviously bright, ambitious women, who are dating these guys who clearly these women think are just schlubs.

Rosin: That kind of clinched it for me because when I was in college, certainly we all assumed that I would be working, that I would have a job, my husband worked too. It was kind of "equality vision." And then I go to this working-class college, it's a state school, it would not be an anathema for people to have traditional ideas of marriage roles.

And yet, what I found was the exact opposite. I was walking around the cafeteria -- the people I ended up quoting were three sorority girls who were sitting together. And indeed, they have a very casual assumption that they are going to be taking care of all the business, that their husbands are sort of not going to get their act together, and that they're going to be the ones who are making most of the money and their husbands will be home, taking care of the kids.

Ryssdal: Is it fair to say that men are being squeezed out of the economy?

Rosin: They are doing less well than women. But I say they're being completely squeezed out. I think that's slightly unfair. But they are having a hard time retooling. I mean, if you look at the job statistics, all the jobs that are growing, say, nurses -- there's no natural reason why a man can't become a nurse -- but for whatever reason, it's hard for them to adjust.

Women over the last 100 years, they have had to change their notion of who they are and what they do many times, very radically, over the last century. You know, can a woman with children work? Can a woman with young children work? What kinds of jobs can a woman do? There's lots of professions that started out as male-dominated and then became female-dominated -- teachers and secretaries being the most obvious example. But there are almost no professions that have gone in opposite direction, where they started out as female-dominated and men have started to do them. And so I think our notion of what a man can and can't do in this country changes, but extremely slowly. Whereas the notion of what a woman can and can't do and what's acceptable changes much more rapidly.

Ryssdal: Hanna Rosin in the current issue of The Atlantic magazine. Her article is called "The End of Men (http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2010/07/the-end-of-men/8135/)." Hanna, thanks a lot for your time.

Rosin: Thank you so much.

BROKENDOLL
06-23-2010, 01:03 PM
I would give him the benefit of the doubt in that he probably wasnt expecting you to have results yet, and as such is trying to work through all the logistics to help you through this situation. But that is just me.
You might be right, except I'm not sure Pete knows what logistics means.

Uh...I'm with Pete. I'd go and have a good time and if you need a wheelchair then no big.
This would make sense if the Dr. hadn't of mentioned the possibility of a stroke the other day. I guess I could set limitations, and right now I though I had.

if i didn't want to go, i'd tell him to have a great time and let me rest home alone in peace. but that is just me.
Oh, you have no clue how bad I wanted to go! In fact, he hasn't one iota of who's even on the lineup, whereas I've got it printed and my must sees circled. I just don't wan to make matters worse healthwise. I even told him to go and sell my ticket. (I probably could have left out the part where I told him he could find and meet a candee raver to hang out with though...:rolleyes:nono)

amyzzz
06-23-2010, 01:05 PM
I've gone over and over this kind of issue with my man, and I'd say just let him go alone if he wants to (which is what Jacob has told me to do).

BROKENDOLL
06-23-2010, 01:10 PM
I believe this calls for a bathtub full of bubbles and some more thought. Maybe even redirect my upset to the Dr. and call instead of waiting...

Dr's. Office: Hello, how may I help you?
BD: Yes, I just had an MRI yesterday of my head and neck, and would like to know if the results are in?
Dr's. Office: Let me check, just a moment...
BD: Well, could you like, put a rush on it, because I'd like to be able to get my attire ready and my dance moves in order so I can go act like a maniac and rave my ass off this weekend with 100,000 others up at the EDC festival?
Dr's. Office: I see? Are you sure this MRI was for an injury?

M Sparks
06-23-2010, 01:15 PM
this bro would always come by and talk to me. Then he asked me out. I obvs said no.

Yes, obviously. How dare he talk to you.

This is why I can't ask anyone out.

hawkingvsreeve
06-23-2010, 01:30 PM
Look what you did Katrina.

You sent a hurricane into Marc's confidence. He is flooded with doubt. His levees are buckling under the pressure. You're making it impossible for him to get some super dome.

Ok I'll stop.

guedita
06-23-2010, 01:30 PM
But I also hope Marc isn't trying to find dateable women at the mall.

amyzzz
06-23-2010, 01:32 PM
My 20 year old nephew does that. We dropped him off at Superstition Springs Mall and he had a field day getting numbers.
:thu

locachica73
06-23-2010, 01:38 PM

I told you I'd be your wingman.

M Sparks
06-23-2010, 01:46 PM

Were you TRYING to burn Kat so badly?

I'm not doubting the guy was a creep...in fact, she said so later. I'm just saying that when I go to talk to someone, all I see is some future message board post. "OBVIOUSLY I said no. I mean, that much should be OBVIOUS. He was TALKING to me."

Maybe the kid worked at the mall too. Maybe that was the only place he ever saw her. The "stalkerish" thing to do would be to ask her out somewhere else. What was he supposed to do? Find out where she lived and knock on her door? Track down her phone number and call? Follow her after work to her favorite bar? All way creepier than asking her out where she works.

I am mystified by the concept of going "on a date". I've honestly only done it a few times. I know it happens, but I don't see how. You won't ask a guy out, and they aren't supposed to ask you. Except that they are. But don't. Unless. Maybe.

EDIT- Also, LOL at Brandon.

chairmenmeow47
06-23-2010, 01:50 PM
dating seems to be a lost art, marc. i've really only gone on a handful of "real" dates. most people seem to meet guys through the internet (where you've already had a lot of the first date type of talk before even meeting). or through their friends, which again means a lot of that first date stuff is out of the way.

at the same time though, i know a lot of guys who get stuck in the "friend zone" with new chicks. so i tell them to actually call it a date. make it an evening thing. make it a one-on-one activity that will allow for some emotional intimacy. and if the girl isn't into that, well then she probably isn't going to be into you after several "friend" dates either.

lolz to brandon and audra would make a great wingwoman.

locachica73
06-23-2010, 01:56 PM
I can't wait for Marc's story hour of his dates. I was rolling at the New Jersey accent from his last little adventure. :)

downingthief
06-23-2010, 01:59 PM
Guess it depends on the dude. Once I hit college, for some reason I got a confidence boost, and had no issues with asking girls out. Never the stalkerish kind of course. Picked the right time more often then not, cause I didn't get many "no" answers. :)

miscorrections
06-23-2010, 02:05 PM
I fucking love going on dates even if they suck because hey, at least you get a story out of it. Guys need to take the initiative way more often. You aren't a creep unless the girl says no and you continue to push.

amyzzz
06-23-2010, 02:08 PM
You're also a creep if the girls says no and you insult her.

hawkingvsreeve
06-23-2010, 02:09 PM
I really have no clue how to ask someone out. I dont have a lot of practice.

downingthief
06-23-2010, 02:13 PM
You're also a creep if the girls says no and you insult her.

That's fucking lame. So what if she says no...it's gonna happen sometimes.

locachica73
06-23-2010, 02:13 PM
"hey, would you like to go get a beer sometime or catch a movie?"

Although I think movies are horrible first dates.

hawkingvsreeve
06-23-2010, 02:14 PM
Well great. Advise, and then admit the quality of the advice is poor.

Girls.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-23-2010, 02:14 PM
Something involving alcohol is definitely the best first date.

hawkingvsreeve
06-23-2010, 02:15 PM
So I can get her drunk and then fuck?

YEAH BRO!

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-23-2010, 02:17 PM

YEAH BRO!

No, but it does help loosen up both parties so that it's easier to talk and get comfortable with each other. Also, the physical act of drinking is a great way to break up awkward pauses and give you moments to think of something to say and answer questions.

EDIT: Obviously if you don't drink this doesn't work. Coffee helps out with the second part of my description though.

downingthief
06-23-2010, 02:17 PM

YEAH BRO!

http://cdn.holytaco.com/www/sites/default/files/images/mr_high_five.jpg

hawkingvsreeve
06-23-2010, 02:18 PM
No, but it does help loosen up both parties so that it's easier to talk and get comfortable with each other. Also, the physical act of drinking is a great way to break up awkward pauses and give you moments to think of something to say and answer questions.

Clearly you have no idea just how charming I really am.

guedita
06-23-2010, 02:19 PM
Just strike up a conversation about an upcoming movie you want to see. Like one that comes out in 4 weeks. Then, at the next meeting, ask if she'd want to go see it with you. Like casually, say you're going to pre-order tickets or something. See what she says.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-23-2010, 02:19 PM

Clearly I am attempting to give advice solely to you and not throwing out general statements.

hawkingvsreeve
06-23-2010, 02:20 PM
Clearly I am trying to ask you out here, Andrew.

Circle your answer and then pass the note back to me.

chairmenmeow47
06-23-2010, 02:21 PM
i actually love movie first dates. it gives us something to talk about. but i LOVE movies and will see pretty much anything. plus, it generally gives me an idea about your sense of humour.

miscorrections
06-23-2010, 02:21 PM
I do not think you should ask her to a movie. If you go to a movie you don't have time to talk. Just ask for her number, and if you should receive it think about something nice and casual to do, and then call her and propose that plan of action.

miscorrections
06-23-2010, 02:22 PM
Dude. Day date at the SD Zoo. Boom. Great first date.

downingthief
06-23-2010, 02:22 PM
I've done dinner and a movie on a first date. Never JUST a movie though. That's no bueno.

hawkingvsreeve
06-23-2010, 02:23 PM
Good idea, C.

......sooo, you wanna go?

chairmenmeow47
06-23-2010, 02:23 PM
whatever the date is, it should be tailored to what the girl seems to be interested in. for example, i would really hate going to the zoo but love movies. so you'd have to ask me and corinna out on different types of dates :p

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-23-2010, 02:24 PM
Zoo is a fun first date.

Yes, the movie idea kind of sucks, unless you're planning stuff before and after...save the movies for the 3rd or 4th dates, when you've already established physical chemistry and are sick of talking to each other.

Show are a good consolation for the movie idea though because of all the downtime between acts and the ability to be entertained at the same time.

hawkingvsreeve
GOD DAMMIT I QUIT

TommyboyUNM
What about a movie at the zoo? Or a movie about a zoo? You have endless options, Brandon.

J~$$$$
06-23-2010, 02:25 PM
Yes Brandon, I would love to make out with you.

miscorrections
06-23-2010, 02:25 PM
Brandon. You are charming. Just ask for her number and then weigh the pros and cons of fun outdoor day date vs. boring night time movie date. The answer will come to you.

hawkingvsreeve
06-23-2010, 02:26 PM
Ha.

"You wanna go to a movie? Ocean Oasis is playing at the museum!"

Yeah no.

J~$$$$
Whoa sausage fest im out

miscorrections
I would actually see Ocean Oasis.

M Sparks
06-23-2010, 02:27 PM
The "friend zone" has always been my downfall. Every time I've ever had my heart broken, it's been by a close friend. Time had mostly healed those wounds, and then the divorce came. The fear of rejection comes from being rejected by people I was already close to. It's like "well, these people who know me and love me aren't interested, why would someone I barely know be interested?"

On top of that, the few traditional "dates" I've ever been on, never went anywhere, and the feeling was always mutual. So I have no interest in "dating", really. It just seems expected in my age group.

hawkingvsreeve
06-23-2010, 02:27 PM
I've seen it at least 2000 times.

I am not joking.

chairmenmeow47
06-23-2010, 02:31 PM
day dates of any kind are a million times less likely to end in drunken fucking though. it's your call if that's a good or a bad thing!

I.F.A.
06-23-2010, 02:31 PM
Ha.

"You wanna go to a movie? Ocean Oasis is playing at the museum!"

Yeah no.

Hey, depends on the girl. That would totally work on me.

Gribbz
06-23-2010, 02:32 PM
I think if it's the first date it really shouldn't matter where you guys go. On first dates, I spend the majority of the time trying to figure out if I want to see this person again... I don't really focus on the activity itself.

Unless the movie is Cool Runnings.

chairmenmeow47
the symphony also works for IFA ;)

downingthief
The "friend zone" has always been my downfall. Every time I've ever had my heart broken, it's been by a close friend. Time had mostly healed those wounds, and then the divorce came. The fear of rejection comes from being rejected by people I was already close to. It's like "well, these people who know me and love me aren't interested, why would someone I barely know be interested?"

On top of that, the few traditional "dates" I've ever been on, never went anywhere, and the feeling was always mutual. So I have no interest in "dating", really. It just seems expected in my age group.

I was trapped in the friend zone many times when I was younger. It can really suck if you end up having feelings for someone. I guess the trick is once you start to feel something, go for it before it becomes "just friends". If you wait to long...well, you know.

BROKENDOLL
06-23-2010, 02:33 PM
Oh my, I just experienced the most logistical bubble bath experience of my life and I'm going to share it's ingredients as my way of saying thank you for putting me in check!

Fill the tub with moderately warm water. (Moderately warm, meaning don't burn your bunz.) Add 1 cup of Epsom salt for the aches and 1/4 of a box of Calgon with bath beads. Blend until a frothy bubblish topping occurs, then add approximately 3 tablespoons of Silk Therapy Body Oils. Blend lightly, but thoroughly. Enter tub, lay back,and as you relax in the tub's aroma, begin slowly adding 1 1/2 ounces of Jose' Cuervo Tequila. (Ooops! Let me re-clarify that...Sip slowly from the 1 1/2 ounce of tequila.) Relax and medicate for about 20 minutes as you logistically cure what ails you. Wonderful!

After drying off, I've decided that missing EDC would just make the pain worse. Even more so if I were here alone. And while going may not be the smartest move, I can always resort to returning to the hotel room for another bubble bath and rest if need be.

As for worrying about last minute attire or wheelchairs, I'm thinking a night time bicycle helmet that glows in the dark, somewhat like a "tard helmet, would be sufficient in case I should falter and land on my head again. I mean, c'mon... How stupid could I look if I'm surrounded by 16 year olds running amuck in their underwear and fuzzy boots, right?
Basically now, I just have to convince Pete that his usual preference for standing up against the speaker stacks against the rail will be a definite no-no for me, and I'm set.

Yeah when I read through this I look like the most pathetic person ever. It's kind of embarrassing.
No, Corrinna, trust me...If my plan works, you won't ever have to worry about looking like the most pathetic person ever, okay?

Look what you did Katrina.

You sent a hurricane into Marc's confidence. He is flooded with doubt. His levees are buckling under the pressure. You're making it impossible for him to get some super dome.
Ok I'll stop.
No, don't stop, Brandon! LMFAO I'm thinking with a little oil, or a lot of oil, there's still a chance for dome!

Okay. Now I better stop.

miscorrections
I'm trying to pick good day dates because I know Brandon doesn't drink. You have to take these things into consideration, people.

Generally, any kind of nice outdoor thing. Like, I would love a date that only consisted of wandering around neighborhoods and scoping out yard sales and maybe grabbing a sandwich somewhere. Low-key things.

M Sparks
whatever the date is, it should be tailored to what the girl seems to be interested in. for example, i would really hate going to the zoo but love movies. so you'd have to ask me and corinna out on different types of dates :p

But...I wouldn't ask you or Corinna out anyway, because (aside from being too young for me) we are already friends. By the time you know what a woman likes, it's too late it seems.

You're creepy if you ask out a stranger. You can't ask out a friend. The zone is microscopic.

chairmenmeow47
06-23-2010, 02:34 PM
i had read somewhere that walking around was an issue and i know he works for a movie theatre, so i was taking those things into consideration.

and marc, you can make some simple judgements. like corinna doesn't really know the coffee guy well, but she's seen a mogwai shirt so he'd probably be into concerts.

I.F.A.
06-23-2010, 02:35 PM
the symphony also works for IFA ;)

Lol. Funnily enough, my last first date was to see the Oceans documentary...

amyzzz
06-23-2010, 02:36 PM
so ask out a friend of a friend.

miscorrections
06-23-2010, 02:37 PM
For the record I don't plan on asking out coffee guy.

Marc - you don't have to know someone to plan a good date. You can always play it safe, or take cues from the way she dresses and presents herself. Plus you can always go to a bar or something.

downingthief
06-23-2010, 02:39 PM
The zone is microscopic.

Less than 2 meters wide.

hawkingvsreeve
06-23-2010, 02:40 PM
Im not that helpless guys. I can walk around. I can attend things at bars. And I work at a museum that has a theater inside of it, so while similar, it's not quite the same.

Although-

I always thought it would be fun to see if a girl wanted to see a movie and then watch whatever she wanted in our theater. Alone. Or would that be creepy? I dont know.

Gribbz
Confidence guys, confidence.

J~$$$$
Just take her for a day cruise on your boat.

miscorrections
06-23-2010, 02:41 PM
Brandon, that's like a third date type of thing. Not a first date.

Gribbz
I always thought it would be fun to see if a girl wanted to see a movie and then watch whatever she wanted in our theater. Alone. Or would that be creepy? I dont know.

Should wait till after the first date to do that. In my opinion.

J~$$$$
Take her for a ride on the 101 at night on your motorcycle.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
Uh, that would be fucking awesome. It might be creepy if you REALLY don't know each other, but if you've talked a bit and know each other a bit, it would be super cool. Maybe a second date if the first date is the ice breaker.

EDIT: in response to Brandon but Corinna said it more succinctly anyway.

downingthief
06-23-2010, 02:42 PM
Im not that helpless guys. I can walk around. I can attend things at bars. And I work at a museum that has a theater inside of it, so while similar, it's not quite the same.

Although-

First date? Creepy IMO. Reserve that for down the road.

I.F.A.

I think that would make for an awesome second or third date, but maybe not a first (due to the aloneness factor).

miscorrections
Also for what it's worth some of my best dates have been: having a picnic on a roof, going to a park and bumming around with some dogs, and going to an Aerosmith show (free) and commentating on the old, drunk, scandalous fans around us.

M Sparks
06-23-2010, 02:44 PM
If you wait to long...well, you know.

Well, I think another problem is that every relationship I've ever been in, including my marriage, I just fell into on accident. Just friends, and not necessarily friends I was interested in at first. Sometimes, it was because SHE made the conversion, usually it was a "what the hell, how did we wind up naked? Wanna keep doing it for a few weeks/months/14 years? Cool."

So to sum up. I've only ever been rewarded for inaction.

hawkingvsreeve
06-23-2010, 02:47 PM
I wouldnt do it right off the bat. I just meant in general.

Gribbz
So to sum up. I've only ever been rewarded for inaction.

You should really try to change that. I've asked girls out who I thought were "out of my league." You'd be surprised at how far confidence goes.

M Sparks
No, don't stop, Brandon! LMFAO I'm thinking with a little oil, or a lot of oil, there's still a chance for dome!

If you need lube for oral sex, get to an emergency room.

(I'm sorry, I know you might be posting FROM the ER, but it was too much to pass up.)

miscorrections
06-23-2010, 02:49 PM
Also since when did every dude ever come to this thread with dating questions?

miscorrections
06-23-2010, 02:50 PM
I'm fully prepared to start talking about shoes and makeup.

downingthief
06-23-2010, 02:51 PM
Alright then. I've hijacked this thread enough. Thanks as always, ladies. :)

amyzzz
06-23-2010, 02:51 PM
I need foundation recommendations.

Gribbz
06-23-2010, 02:52 PM
Alright men. Next time we need dating advice we should consult the vuvuzella thread. BZZZZZZZZZ

miscorrections
06-23-2010, 02:53 PM
You could just start a thread. Or one of us could. An "Ask A Girl" thread. I'd say start an "Ask A Guy" thread, but most of us would rather ponder and overthink than actually ask a guy.

hawkingvsreeve
06-23-2010, 02:53 PM
I'm fully prepared to start talking about shoes and makeup.

You know me well enough to know that I could hang with that line of conversation as well.

miscorrections
06-23-2010, 02:54 PM
That's true. Brandon can stay.

And I love the screening idea. Love.

kitt kat
06-23-2010, 02:54 PM

Sorry, I was in a rush and did not elaborate.

I worked at Build a Bear at the mall in high school. Most of the time, I'd be on front-of-store duty luring in children and their parents with a cute stuffed toy dog on rollerskates (ALL FOR $60!). Anyway, this guy came by once, and I was bored. I talked to him out of politeness. Then, later in the day, he and his friends walked back to see if I was there. I was. I just thought they were leaving the same way they came.

It became an almost daily thing. One time, I was working on the machines and he CAME IN and ASKED FOR ME. My boss got pissed, and I told him the situation --- thankfully he understood.

Anyway, I finally told this kid to lay off, that I wasn't interested and that he was getting me in trouble at work. End of story.

I'd be DTF any guy who took me on a date to the SD Zoo. I've always wanted to go and have never been able to get my boyfriend to take me. ("Too far.")

...now that I think about it, any "date" my boyfriend went on in the beginning never felt like a date because I always drove; he didn't have his car out here until the year after we met. Now, we just...go to shows? I would kill for a nice night out with him :(

BROKENDOLL
06-23-2010, 02:57 PM
I'd be proud to say I was your mother, if that helps. Unfortunately, if I were, charming wouldn't be at the top of your qualities list.

Excellent first date. No pressures and most people like animals. Not to mention if you should by chance be watching say, the monkeys as they take turns picking shit off of each other to eat it, or the rhinos as they prepare to mount,you can glance over at your date and catch a glimpse of any limitations your date may have. If anything, there may be a good shared laugh, and that's always an ice breaker.

Whoa there, Marc! Now, I know I've got quite an edge on you, but I really don't think a date is expected as you get older, unless of course you're talking over say, 65 years. Then they do that because it reminds them of courting back in their day. As for people in their 40's, a date is probably necessary because of schedules that each individual has.

Fuck, what do I know? I have a date I'm not sure I can keep with someone I live with! (Wearing a bicycle helmet to boot!)

J~$$$$
06-23-2010, 02:57 PM
I'd be DTF any guy who took me on a date to the SD Zoo.

Hi, wanna go to the sd zoo?

M Sparks
06-23-2010, 02:59 PM
You should really try to change that. I've asked girls out who I thought were "out of my league." You'd be surprised at how far confidence goes.

Oh, almost everyone I've ever been with was out of my league. A few were ridiculously so.

I'm actually fairly confident ON a date, it's just the opening. I'm baffled at how to get to the point where I can be alone with someone and be charming and confident. And, as Ivy pointed out way back, people don't really date anymore anyway. It all seems very paradoxical.

BROKENDOLL
06-23-2010, 03:01 PM
Also for what it's worth some of my best dates have been: having a picnic on a roof, going to a park and bumming around with some dogs, and going to an Aerosmith show (free) and commentating on the old, drunk, scandalous fans around us.

I'll have you know that I paid to be there to see Aerosmith!

M Sparks
06-23-2010, 03:01 PM
Whoa there, Marc!...I really don't think a date is expected as you get older, unless of course you're talking over say, 65 years.

As for people in their 40's, a date is probably necessary because of schedules that each individual has.

I can't imagine why I'm confused. It's necessary, but not expected. Thanks.

minogueCOMMAk
06-23-2010, 03:03 PM
I'm trying to pick good day dates because I know Brandon doesn't drink. You have to take these things into consideration, people.

Generally, any kind of nice outdoor thing. Like, I would love a date that only consisted of wandering around neighborhoods and scoping out yard sales and maybe grabbing a sandwich somewhere. Low-key things.

I just had to say that this would be such an amazing first date.

guedita
06-23-2010, 03:04 PM
Marc, are you trying to resist online dating? It seems like that's really the only way people date these days...

M Sparks
06-23-2010, 03:09 PM
Marc, are you trying to resist online dating? It seems like that's really the only way people date these days...

No, not really. I know it's inevitable. But, I do meet interesting women all the time, and it seems a shame to ignore them just because it's easier to date online.

OK, I'm done hijacking.

miscorrections
06-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Don't ignore them. Ask them out. Problem solved.

M Sparks
06-23-2010, 03:16 PM
Don't ignore them. Ask them out. Problem solved.

So when are you meeting Matthew?

miscorrections
06-23-2010, 03:18 PM
Did you not read where I said I had no plans to ask him out? I'm not really into that right now. I eye him as a potential friend I could sleep with.

I don't ask people out unless I LIKE them. I don't know that much about his personality, other than that he's friendly, so obviously I don't LIKE him.

M Sparks
06-23-2010, 03:23 PM
a lot of guys who get stuck in the "friend zone" with new chicks.

I eye him as a potential friend I could sleep with.

Yup. Not confusing at all.

miscorrections
06-23-2010, 03:24 PM
I don't understand why that's confusing. There's the friends zone, the friends with benefits zone, and the date zone. People may transition from one zone to another as the relationships progress.

J~$$$$
06-23-2010, 03:31 PM
Yup. Not confusing at all.

Try not to think. Shut off your mind. Guys are suppose to be stupid. Just be receptive. Dont over think it.