PDA

View Full Version : The Girls Only Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77

amyzzz
08-23-2009, 10:41 AM
Loca, I noticed at Green Day how ALL the girls had that deep part hairstyles, so I can see how that would get annoying too see all the time.

chiapet
08-23-2009, 11:07 AM
Courtney, I think the master's requirement is fair -- they'll let me move up one more notch without one (though a lot of the folks I know at that job level have master's or even doctorate's), but the next job level after that would be executive. It's still quite a few years off, and I could always choose to make a lateral move or even a step down into a different type of job. Getting the MBA would not immediately add on to my salary - they're not going to give me a raise because of it - it would just open up more prospects, show them that I'm interested in and serious about moving into exec track.

Of course I'm not completely sure I am interested in it. :) I just am going to run out of options in less than 10 years unless I change careers or do the graduate work.

The trip I'm planning would be 3-4 months long, and I'd love to do it right before starting a grad program, but I don't think work will go along with that. (I'm not completely sure they're even going to let me take all that time off). My old boss supported it, I'm not sure my new boss does. I haven't worked there long enough to really start demanding sabbatical or anything like that. :)

Courtney
08-23-2009, 11:24 AM
That makes sense about the master's requirement, now that you explain it like that.

Where are you planning your trip to?

chiapet
08-23-2009, 12:10 PM
One of my friends and I had this wild idea to travel the Mediterranean - to visit every country with a coast on it, starting in Portugal and ending in Morocco. There will be a couple of places we'd probably skip because of safety, but I am open to even going to Algeria, Libya, etc. It'd be my dream vacation, but it would take a large chunk of money and about 3-4 months.

It started as a whim, then I became very serious about it and had planned it for 2010... since then she's changed jobs and is looking to buy a house, and my management chain has changed and the new ones do not necessarily support me leaving for months. I'd also originally been considering just... not coming back, if work did not allow me leave, and if I'd saved enough and found someplace I wanted to stay for a year or so.

So now my choices are... talk my mgmt into giving me leave AND then talking them into paying my school when I get back; skip the trip and focus on grad school, hope I can do the trip later; or quit my job, take the trip, and try to find work AND a program when I get back and pay for school out of pocket.

captncrzy
08-23-2009, 02:31 PM
I think if Martin gets to wear sequins, pretty much everyone in the crowd is invited to wear them too.

This is a good point.

chairmenmeow47
08-24-2009, 09:52 AM
courtney, i only skimmed, try looking up ipeds research on school as those are government required statistcis :) and i was accepted to carnegie mellon, didn't go though, stayed home to party instead :p

TomAz
08-24-2009, 10:05 AM
One of my friends and I had this wild idea to travel the Mediterranean - to visit every country with a coast on it, starting in Portugal and ending in Morocco. There will be a couple of places we'd probably skip because of safety, but I am open to even going to Algeria, Libya, etc. It'd be my dream vacation, but it would take a large chunk of money and about 3-4 months.

It started as a whim, then I became very serious about it and had planned it for 2010... since then she's changed jobs and is looking to buy a house, and my management chain has changed and the new ones do not necessarily support me leaving for months. I'd also originally been considering just... not coming back, if work did not allow me leave, and if I'd saved enough and found someplace I wanted to stay for a year or so.

So now my choices are... talk my mgmt into giving me leave AND then talking them into paying my school when I get back; skip the trip and focus on grad school, hope I can do the trip later; or quit my job, take the trip, and try to find work AND a program when I get back and pay for school out of pocket.

Sorry to intrude. I wish you'd posted this in the Travel thread so I would feel free to comment at length. Anyway two quick points: 1. What an awesome, awesome idea and 2. Portugal is not on the Mediterranean.

chiapet
08-24-2009, 12:57 PM
Well, I've just posted it in the travel thread, so you can feel free to comment at length! I'm very much hoping to get recommendations from others who have traveled some of the same countries.

allyjoy
08-24-2009, 01:31 PM
Chia, might I recommend applying to grad school, save up some cash for the trip & then once you're accepted you bounce out for a little while before...

chiapet
08-24-2009, 02:27 PM
Yea, I'm still trying to figure out what my priorities are. If I'm going to pay for grad school (instead of work paying) then I shouldn't do the trip. But then if I quit my job I don't need grad school right away, do I? :)

When we came up with the idea, we both had managers who were fine with it. My new manager might actually go for it, once things are more settled and he knows me better. We joke that if I wanted to have a kid I could get the time off but since I just want to travel it's considered a very weird HR exception. :)

amyzzz
08-24-2009, 02:29 PM
I had a friend who took a leave of absence from my work for the summer to go to Europe.

chiapet
08-24-2009, 03:19 PM
Maybe I'm working at the wrong company. ;) I don't think they're against it, period, it's just manager and HR discretion. The main problem would be finding someone to take over my responsibilities when I'm gone (and then the worry that the person will do so well that they won't need me back!)

I'm really envious of our UK offices where, not only do you start with a lot more vacation time than we in the US receive, but you can also "buy" extra vacation time by paying back parts of your salary. People do usually use that to take extended trips.

locachica73
08-26-2009, 12:50 AM
Loca, I noticed at Green Day how ALL the girls had that deep part hairstyles, so I can see how that would get annoying too see all the time.

Yeah it is, and all the girls did it for awhile. Boys too. So my daughter and all her friends all looked the same. skin tight pants, big tshirts and donald trump hair.

chairmenmeow47
08-26-2009, 08:20 AM
i just read a resume for a girl who listed "shopping" as an interest.

locachica73
08-26-2009, 08:21 AM
lol, should I put poker, pool and beer drinking as mine?

chairmenmeow47
08-26-2009, 08:37 AM
funny you say that, someone else just listed wine. what the fuck people, no matter how fancy the glass is, you're still drinking. not exactly something to throw on a resume. fucking retards.

locachica73
08-26-2009, 08:46 AM
I don't even think I have interests on my resume. Nothing I am interested will really help me in the job market. Well it might help me at a construction company. :)

amyzzz
08-26-2009, 09:24 AM
Shopping as an interest might help if you're applying to be a buyer for a department store. heh. but I suppose not for your work, Ivy.

chairmenmeow47
08-26-2009, 09:33 AM
interests don't help you AT ALL in this department. unless your interests happen to be having a passionate love for financial policy, keep it off the resume. interests only help if they direclty relate to the position for which you are applying or if you are hired to be some sort of "interesting" networking type person.

amyzzz
08-26-2009, 09:34 AM
Right. You should fashion each resume to fit the position for which you are applying.

Courtney
08-26-2009, 09:35 AM
Shopping as an interest might help if you're applying to be a buyer for a department store. heh. but I suppose not for your work, Ivy.

That's what I was going to say about wine. If you're being considered for a certain kind of position, having a deep knowledge and appreciation of fine wines could be a huge asset.

Although who on earth has an "interests" section of their resume at all anymore? I think I axed that section my sophomore year of college.

chairmenmeow47
08-26-2009, 09:36 AM
that's cause you're smart :thu

amyzzz
08-26-2009, 09:38 AM
Courtney should have her own praise thread like MP. :thu

Courtney
08-26-2009, 09:54 AM
:pulse

Alligator Bogaloo
08-26-2009, 12:03 PM
Happy Women's Equality Day to all the ladies on the board...

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=118&pictureid=1123

chiapet
08-27-2009, 12:16 PM
wine is an acceptable interest to list here, 20 minutes from wine country. :)

I barely look at the hobbies/interests portion of a resume, but I've hired people who had some really weird stuff on there. Like furries, people who were.... extremely interested in vampires, etc.

miscorrections
08-27-2009, 12:19 PM
I don't understand the point of putting that shit in a resume. Doesn't it push it over a page? Do people only do it when they have no relevant industrial or academic experience?

amyzzz
08-27-2009, 12:20 PM
Furries....? I'm scared to google that.

sames44
08-27-2009, 12:21 PM
what sort of job was this for, chia?

chiapet
08-27-2009, 12:35 PM
I wouldn't google furries if you're at work; and it might not be something you ever want to know about, if you don't already. Your imagination will probably hit close enough to the mark.

sames, it was for a tech support job. They were qualified, nice enough people who did a good job.

Corinna, I don't know really. I see kids do it when they don't have much of a resume at all, it seems like they're just trying to fill up space. When adults do it, it seems like it's either 1) something rather odd, that they're putting down, so that you are "accepting" it by seeing it and hiring them still; or 2) they are hoping to get some sort of personal level "in" with the hiring manager or interviewers if they happen to have a common interest, especially if it's something specific. It makes the person more memorable, or maybe the interviewer decides it's someone he would like to work with.

I've actually had the latter happen once, I got a job I was not really qualified for, but they really liked me personality wise and I had a lot in common with the people who interviewed me -- one was really interested in the stuff I studied in college (I was asked how I ended up in tech when I have a degree in anthropology, and we started geeking out over some of the similar science courses we'd taken) and one happened to be wearing a band t-shirt for a band I'd just seen, and yep, I got a job that I didn't deserve on paper. However, I did turn out to kick some ass at it.

Resumes over one page... is what happens when you get around for a while. Having a one page resume if you're an experienced professional, it's an idea that is obsolete. It comes from a time when people did one job at one company for a quarter of their life or only had a couple of professional jobs *ever*, KWIM?

People just starting out and with 1-2 jobs definitely should have a one pager. But people jump jobs so often now and change positions/roles enough that most people won't have a one page resume once they're more than a few years into their careers. 2 is good, I tolerate 3 if the info is relevant and not too dry and too wordy, more than 3 is obscene in my industry but I could see how it might be different in scientific or academic positions if you're expected to show history of publication or patents.

Pixiessp
08-27-2009, 01:32 PM
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t18/Pixiessp/SayNo-Furries.jpg

amyzzz
08-27-2009, 01:32 PM
Thanks, Joann.

Pixiessp
08-27-2009, 01:40 PM
I was prepared to see something else entirely. Like a Gerbil.

chiapet
08-27-2009, 01:43 PM
Nah, it doesn't involve actual animals. Just uh roleplaying them. Some take it to extremes that I find disturbing but for the most part I just regard this sort of thing as "different strokes for different folks"...

chiapet
08-27-2009, 01:48 PM
Have I ever mentioned how shopping for Coachella skews my Amazon buying in such a way that I get odd advertising email from them for the following year?

Such as:

Dear Amazon.com Customer,
As someone who has shown an interest in products for contractors, you might like to know about Glo Brite egress and safety signs. Green-friendly Glo Brite signs illuminate with photoluminescence, using no electricity and contributing to LEED points.

(Due to purchasing UV reactive poster board, *I think*). And this is what happens if you buy more than 24 batteries at a time:

As someone who has shown an interest in batteries, you might like to know about the following offer:

My current Amazon recommendations look not unlike the contents of Dexter's little black bag.

BROKENDOLL
08-27-2009, 01:49 PM
I have an intererst in stroking furries, but I imagine that's a definite no-no on a job application, right?

BROKENDOLL
08-27-2009, 01:52 PM
As someone who has shown an interest in batteries, you might like to know about the following offer:
You're not gonna believe this, but......could I get the name of the company that advertised that? LOL (My e-mail is TwoCBatteries...) :rolleyes

chiapet
08-27-2009, 01:53 PM
Oh I already deleted it, it was from Amazon though. They send out notices for sales based on what you normally buy.

amyzzz
08-27-2009, 02:03 PM
UV reactive posterboard? :cat

BROKENDOLL
08-27-2009, 02:05 PM
Oh I already deleted it, it was from Amazon though. They send out notices for sales based on what you normally buy.
Many, many "C" batteries...:winkiss

sames44
08-27-2009, 02:11 PM
what's the difference between this thread & the social group?

amyzzz
08-27-2009, 02:11 PM
Social group cannot be read by the menfolk.

edit: and they can't add snarky, sleazy comments either

BROKENDOLL
08-27-2009, 02:13 PM
what's the difference between this thread & the social group?
You'll know if I have to explain the battery thing...:lool

chiapet
08-27-2009, 03:20 PM
UV reactive posterboard? :cat

We were going to use it at Coachella but it never made it off the ground. (Literally. People may have noticed a glowing stack of posters on the ground?) Unfortunately what I ordered is no longer on Amazon, I may have to look again depending on what our theme is next year.

herro kitty
09-02-2009, 07:54 AM
There's this guy that's trying to get at me and I'm not interested. He's asking to hang out and I don't really want to, but I don't want him to pull the "Oh you thought I was hitting on you? Please don't flatter yourself" bullshit if I say I don't want to go. I don't want to lead him on, either, by being too nice. Should I say something? Or just politely decline for no reason?

captncrzy
09-02-2009, 07:57 AM
There's this guy that's trying to get at me and I'm not interested. He's asking to hang out and I don't really want to, but I don't want him to pull the "Oh you thought I was hitting on you? Please don't flatter yourself" bullshit if I say I don't want to go. I don't want to lead him on, either, by being too nice. Should I say something? Or just politely decline for no reason?

Just politely decline; you don't have to give a reason. If he's into you, it's the most honest way to go about it and if he's not, he won't care.

herro kitty
09-02-2009, 08:06 AM
Ah! Duh :) I overcomplicated things so quickly in my head. I was ready to give him this big speech about chemistry and stars not aligning and everything, too. Haha :)

SFChrissy
09-02-2009, 09:08 AM
girls biggest mistake is over complicating it...don't feed too much energy into it.

I just noticed the hand grabbing ass in your avie...hahahahaaa!!!

chairmenmeow47
09-02-2009, 09:55 AM
just blow him off for several months until he finally sees you at a bar and starts trying to holla at you all over again, always worked for me :thu

there is no perfect way to blow someone off, you're either a bitch or a tease. go for the vague bitch. always just say you're not interested or busy without giving any specifics and never, NEVER make it a reason about them (i.e. you're boring) or they'll work on changing whatever you mentioned thinking they'll finally get you then. just make yourself some vague, mysterious bitch and things will work out fine :)

and that's my friend amy, she can't keep her hands off this ass :p

amyzzz
09-02-2009, 11:00 AM
Ugh, I hate when the guy tries to make me feel bad for blowing him off. Once I told someone I didn't want to dance with him because I'm married -- held out my hand with the wedding ring on it, and this jerk said my diamonds weren't big enough. WTF, asshole.

Pixiessp
09-02-2009, 11:18 AM
Ugh, I hate when the guy tries to make me feel bad for blowing him off. Once I told someone I didn't want to dance with him because I'm married -- held out my hand with the wedding ring on it, and this jerk said my diamonds weren't big enough. WTF, asshole.

Bet your diamonds were bigger than his.

Courtney
09-02-2009, 11:25 AM
The good thing about having something like that happen is that it demonstrates the insecurity and general ickiness of the guy, and thus confirms that you made the right decision by not perusing anything with him.

Hannahrain
09-02-2009, 11:52 AM
here is no perfect way to blow someone off, you're either a bitch or a tease.

That's not true. There's absolutely nothing wrong with politely saying, "I don't think so, but thank you for the offer". It doesn't have to be a thing. You don't have to make it a thing.

chairmenmeow47
09-02-2009, 12:00 PM
of course you can, hannah. they make you seem like a bitch though. i'm not saying barbara has to be a bitch, i'm saying that you're perceived that way even if all you say is "no thank you". it's like the guy that calls you a cunt for not responding to his cat calls at the gas station; no matter how nice you TRY to be, you just can't win. rarely have i ever nicely turned a guy down and gotten a polite response. it's generally something rude because they're hurt they were just rejected. which makes you the bitch, even if you weren't intending to be. but hey, i'd rather be a bitch than have some guy think i'm leading him on or something and get in some sort of awkward altercation in the bushes outside my house...

Hannahrain
09-02-2009, 12:12 PM
I don't know. I still don't think it has to be that complex. But, it's likely different for me in that I'm not exactly what you'd consider a hot girl, so the people who take an interest are generally not as brazen. Still, though, there are a lot of people out there who will respectfully accept a polite rejection if you don't make a big thing out of it. But I imagine you and I travel in different circles. I don't go to clubs. Hell, I don't even go to gas stations. The guy who starts talking to you in the bookstore or while you're looking at office supplies probably isn't going to behave the same way as the one at the club.

Hannahrain
09-02-2009, 12:17 PM
(Yes, I go to the office supply store recreationally. I'm not going to apologize for it).

chairmenmeow47
09-02-2009, 12:24 PM
you're right, it doesn't have to be that complex. i am as polite and friendly as i can be with just a simple "no thank you", but some people won't leave you alone. perhaps it's the circles i run with, but i've been stalked (both hanging outside my window stalked and breaking into your apartment stalked) i've had people RUN down the street to ask why i didn't respond to their "holla", i've had people follow me in their car, follow me on my bicycle, stand outside my door until i screamed at them to leave me alone through my tears, some people are just crazy and choose to make it a lot more complex than it needs to be. sorry, i didn't mean be an actual bitch, but it seems like no matter what response you give, you're either a bitch or a tease. you're never just a nice girl who wasn't interested. bad choice in terms on my part, sorry.

in general though, living in the ghetto and responding with a sly "i got a man" always went over well because then you could joke about the song and completely forget the whole "can i get your number" bullshit by the time we were done :)

and i get a staples discount myself, lol!

captncrzy
09-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Favorite feminine power joke ever:

Man: "Woohooo baby" "Mmmm gotta get me some a dat" (insert other random cat calls here)
Woman: continues walking and ignores man
Man: "Fuck you bitch. You're not that hot anyway."
Woman: "Boy, it must make you feel real good to know that an ugly bitch won't even give you the time of day."

BROKENDOLL
09-02-2009, 02:22 PM
That's not true. There's absolutely nothing wrong with politely saying, "I don't think so, but thank you for the offer". It doesn't have to be a thing. You don't have to make it a thing.
:thu

of course you can, hannah. they make you seem like a bitch though. i'm not saying barbara has to be a bitch, i'm saying that you're perceived that way even if all you say is "no thank you". it's like the guy that calls you a cunt for not responding to his cat calls at the gas station; no matter how nice you TRY to be, you just can't win. rarely have i ever nicely turned a guy down and gotten a polite response. it's generally something rude because they're hurt they were just rejected. which makes you the bitch, even if you weren't intending to be. but hey, i'd rather be a bitch than have some guy think i'm leading him on or something and get in some sort of awkward altercation in the bushes outside my house...
Hmmm, I'm thinking Hannah's suggestion of "No, but thank you anyway," covers both grounds. It's like you're not accepting the offer, but you're not rejecting his idea of a compliment or approach. I think that doing it this way...
always just say you're not interested or busy without giving any specifics and never, NEVER make it a reason about them is what may be the problem you've had with them pursuing you or camping out in your bushes...They love a challenge and your answer provides just that... It doesn't comeoff as Vague in as much as it comes off intriguing them more, I think.
Personally, I can ignore the approach and play deaf, or I can say, "That's very nice of you, thanks, but I'm taken," or...my favorite is doing a quick
360* and making them think I'll run their ass over if they fuck with me...

you're right, it doesn't have to be that complex. i am as polite and friendly as i can be with just a simple "no thank you", but some people won't leave you alone. perhaps it's the circles i run with, but i've been stalked (both hanging outside my window stalked and breaking into your apartment stalked) i've had people RUN down the street to ask why i didn't respond to their "holla", i've had people follow me in their car, follow me on my bicycle, stand outside my door until i screamed at them to leave me alone through my tears, some people are just crazy and choose to make it a lot more complex than it needs to be. sorry, i didn't mean be an actual bitch, but it seems like no matter what response you give, you're either a bitch or a tease. you're never just a nice girl who wasn't interested. bad choice in terms on my part, sorry.
in general though, living in the ghetto and responding with a sly "i got a man" always went over well because then you could joke about the song and completely forget the whole "can i get your number" bullshit by the time we were done :)
and i get a staples discount myself, lol!
See? That to me is a perfect example of why you've had those hassles...you left a door open trying to be nice without proper manners...("Thank you anyway...")

And, for the record, and my apologies ahead of time for this, but...
For those assholes that feel a need to disrespect you out loud and shit, I find that simply looking at them and saying, "Sorry, but I only eat pussy, thank you anyway," pretty much shuts them up right then and there...

herro kitty
09-02-2009, 05:59 PM
The funny thing is that I usually am the hunter :) I like to ask the guy out, I feel more in control of the situation. This guy was the first guy to ask me out in a long time, so I forgot what to do.

How do you guys feel about being the predator instead of the prey? Just curious.

Favorite feminine power joke ever:

Man: "Woohooo baby" "Mmmm gotta get me some a dat" (insert other random cat calls here)
Woman: continues walking and ignores man
Man: "Fuck you bitch. You're not that hot anyway."
Woman: "Boy, it must make you feel real good to know that an ugly bitch won't even give you the time of day."

That is a GREAT one. I'm going to use it next time!

When gross guys give my friend cat calls, she walks up to them and YELLS at the top of her lungs, "SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!!!!!!!!!" and sprints away laughing. It's awesome because she's only 4'11" and they are so shocked they are speechless.

miscorrections
09-02-2009, 06:16 PM
I don't mind asking guys out, but I'll only do it if he's reaaaaaally hot or otherwise extremely attractive to me. Generally once contact has been established I'd rather be the predator, as it were - if the guy is too into me there's no challenge and I get bored. I like to chase a bit to keep my interest.

chairmenmeow47
09-03-2009, 08:22 AM
barb, your friend might get hurt someday, be careful.

and i prefer to be prey, being adored is fun :)

chiapet
09-03-2009, 05:50 PM
The excellent thing about living in SF and wearing boyish clothes is that if you just say no to a guy without explanation, half the time they go away assuming you must be gay and asking no more questions.

I get hit on in weird situations, like almost every time I take a cab, the drivers are really aggressive about it. It's a little strange. I feel like if I'm paying you, you don't get to show an interest unless I've done so first (or unless I'm paying you to show an interest).

Pixiessp
09-03-2009, 06:09 PM
:thu

Hmmm, I'm thinking Hannah's suggestion of "No, but thank you anyway," covers both grounds. It's like you're not accepting the offer, but you're not rejecting his idea of a compliment or approach. I think that doing it this way...is what may be the problem you've had with them pursuing you or camping out in your bushes...They love a challenge and your answer provides just that... It doesn't comeoff as Vague in as much as it comes off intriguing them more, I think.
Personally, I can ignore the approach and play deaf, or I can say, "That's very nice of you, thanks, but I'm taken," or...my favorite is doing a quick
360* and making them think I'll run their ass over if they fuck with me...

See? That to me is a perfect example of why you've had those hassles...you left a door open trying to be nice without proper manners...("Thank you anyway...")

And, for the record, and my apologies ahead of time for this, but...
For those assholes that feel a need to disrespect you out loud and shit, I find that simply looking at them and saying, "Sorry, but I only eat pussy, thank you anyway," pretty much shuts them up right then and there...

This DOES NOT shut them up.

ragingdave
09-03-2009, 07:38 PM
i am so stoked that I read this whole thread.

obzen
09-03-2009, 07:41 PM
Win.

chairmenmeow47
09-04-2009, 09:00 AM
This DOES NOT shut them up.

haha ha ha ha ha

so one of my bestest girlfriends ever came over last night with champagne and sex & the city. we decided to watch gone with the wind at 11pm though, horrible idea. she had never seen it though and it was nice to finally get to watch with a girl. i generally only had watched with my mother, grandma or alone. we only got to her second husband though before i couldn't stay up any longer and had to stop. that movie gets to me every time, rhett loves her so, for who she actually is, and only when she truly realizes this does he finally leave. so sad.

rskapcat
09-04-2009, 09:04 AM
I'll admit it...I hate hate hate hate Gone With The Wind. Hate.

rskapcat
09-04-2009, 09:20 AM
This is really random, but I think I owe Hannah (?) a thank-you. Or whoever it was who recommended tights/leggings in hot situations to prevent the chub rub. I may look like the hipster weirdo wearing tights in the summer, but my thighs are happier. :)

chairmenmeow47
09-04-2009, 09:23 AM
hooray for happy thighs :)

and i know we've talked about gone with the wind either in here or the movie thread, i'm in the minority in liking it so much.

SFChrissy
09-04-2009, 09:30 AM
hooray for happy thighs :)

and i know we've talked about gone with the wind either in here or the movie thread, i'm in the minority in liking it so much.Your not along Ivy...I love Gone with the Wind...scarlet is the ultimate disfunctional woman...she's a definate role model for me and love her beauty and grace~

chairmenmeow47
09-04-2009, 09:35 AM
*high five* chrissy!

as much as she is a bitch and all that, she is who kept everyone in her family alive. we can't all be a melanie.

BROKENDOLL
09-04-2009, 10:18 AM
I'll admit it...I hate hate hate hate Gone With The Wind. Hate.

haha ha ha ha ha

so one of my bestest girlfriends ever came over last night with champagne and sex & the city. we decided to watch gone with the wind at 11pm though, horrible idea. she had never seen it though and it was nice to finally get to watch with a girl. i generally only had watched with my mother, grandma or alone. we only got to her second husband though before i couldn't stay up any longer and had to stop. that movie gets to me every time, rhett loves her so, for who she actually is, and only when she truly realizes this does he finally leave. so sad.
Okay, I confess, I've never seen Gone with the Wind,*gasp!* so your response here to pixiesps's post through me off...Did Scarlett end up having to tell Rhett she only does women?

SFChrissy
09-04-2009, 10:45 AM
Bev this would be a great movie for you to watch while pete is gone on a work trip...

chiapet
09-04-2009, 11:17 AM
I wouldn't think the tights thing would work well in really hot weather. Might have to try that. Isn't it unreasonably warm?

rskapcat
09-04-2009, 11:19 AM
I will sweat regardless. It's better to have something to absorb some of the sweat and keep my thighs from rubbing together. I usually do footless tights so my feet can breathe.

amyzzz
09-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Yeah, I've done the footless tights thing in summer.

Courtney
09-04-2009, 11:44 AM
I can see how if the tights are wet, they could actually act as an effective cooling device. Sort of like how some people advocate a wet washcloth to the back of the neck.

chiapet
09-04-2009, 11:44 AM
Oddly timed article-share from one of my friends:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090904/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_heart_thighs

rskapcat
09-04-2009, 11:46 AM
YEAH for pear-shaped girls!!! :p

amyzzz
09-04-2009, 11:47 AM
I hope that's a proportionate to your own body size kinda thing because I am pear-shaped, but I wouldn't say I have huge thighs.

BROKENDOLL
09-04-2009, 11:48 AM
Bev this would be a great movie for you to watch while pete is gone on a work trip...
You mean like sitting there curled up on the couch wearing sweatpants, a face mask, and polishing my toenails, while sipping hot cocoa? Or, sitting there with 1/2 a joint in the ashtray, an un-capped bottle of Cuervo with a straw poking out of it, and not a care in the world whether I had clothes on or not? And, will afew tissues do, or are we talking a roll of papertowels?

Then again...Since I've had to sit through many episodes of watching idiots drive across thin ice in big rigs, or salty looking men looking to get crabs, I could make him watch it with me! Ha,ha,ha! Atleast that way, if I'm not getting into it, we can just make out on the couch like highschoolers!

amyzzz
09-04-2009, 11:54 AM
I haven't watched Gone with the Wind either. Just bits and pieces. Enough to know Vivien Leigh gets with 2 guys and one dies and the other dumps her. Right? meh.

rskapcat
09-04-2009, 11:56 AM
How you feel about Vivien Leigh's character will determine how you feel about the movie, imho. I wanted her to die in a fire...so I never watched the movie again after it was forced upon me.

SFChrissy
09-04-2009, 12:20 PM
...sitting there with 1/2 a joint in the ashtray, an un-capped bottle of Cuervo with a straw poking out of it, and not a care in the world whether I had clothes on or not? And, will afew tissues do, or are we talking a roll of ...?

I like to watch it on one of those days that i don't want to leave the house and it's gloomy out...roll a phat one spend the day cooking and watching it and if I need to take a break pause while I take cre of a quick load of laundry!!! It's chick all the way no boysss...

Yes I had to watch it in high school but as an adult I've added it to my collection...

miscorrections
09-04-2009, 12:21 PM
I wouldn't think the tights thing would work well in really hot weather. Might have to try that. Isn't it unreasonably warm?

I did that every day at Coachella this year. I was fine.

SFChrissy
09-04-2009, 12:22 PM
How you feel about Vivien Leigh's character will determine how you feel about the movie, imho. I wanted her to die in a fire...so I never watched the movie again after it was forced upon me.she does represent unfortunate insecurities that so many women have to deal with but she also sets great examples imho...Ms Scarlet!!!

Pixiessp
09-04-2009, 12:24 PM
If we are talking epics..I prefer Giant.

BROKENDOLL
09-04-2009, 12:25 PM
I haven't watched Gone with the Wind either. Just bits and pieces. Enough to know Vivien Leigh gets with 2 guys and one dies and the other dumps her. Right? meh.
2 guys at once? Yikes! I imagine when the one died, the other got scared and left...Poor Vivien Leigh! Oh, wait...considering how old this movie is and a name like Vivien Leigh, is it like Renaissanse Porn? :rolleyes

How you feel about Vivien Leigh's character will determine how you feel about the movie, imho. I wanted her to die in a fire...so I never watched the movie again after it was forced upon me.
Okay, seriously, I can see there's potential for tears here, but at the same time I can see myself calling out things like, "She should know you can't have your cake and eat it too!" Or, " Ha! And you thought your name would get you laid, you little trollop, you!" LOL
I will admit, it would be interesting to see a movie with this type of plot, yet no bad language or obscenities. Can you imagine an updated version?

amyzzz
09-04-2009, 12:25 PM
OMG JAMES DEAN.

re: Giant

amyzzz
09-04-2009, 12:26 PM
2 guys at once? Well now THAT would be interesting. Alas, it's not that way exactly.

Pixiessp
09-04-2009, 12:31 PM
OMG JAMES DEAN.

re: Giant

Watched it last night and am still convinced that there was no one like James Dean. His timing was impeccable.

BROKENDOLL
09-04-2009, 01:11 PM
TIGHTS?!!! In the Summertime? You too, Amyzzz?!!! Christ, I'm barely wanting to wear skin this week, it's been so hot and humid! (And let's not talk about the occassional hot flashes I'm starting to get! $#%@^!!!)

Since I'm not working and staying out of the heat by staying home, I got this brilliant idea 2 days ago to inventory my closet like all the fashion magazines recommend. Apparently, I've only seen the issues that take you through the history of fashion, or I have some type of style disorder where I fear something coming back into fashion after I've thrown it out. Now, keep in mind, our place is small and considered a 2 bedroom...I knew when I moved in by myself and didn't see a closet in the so-called second room, that this was a hoax and I'd have to utilize my creativity...I hadn't really anticipated a partner joining me either...In any case, without a plan of attack, I began unloading my closet...
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w18/1BROKENDOLL/IMGP1796.jpg
As you can see, in the far left corner there are "man clothes" hanging strategically from the ceiling due to the fact that my closet was full at the time...(All the time?) I used one of those heavy duty bathtowel bars and butterfly hangers you use to hang plants with, along with extensions to make a 2nd level bar...It works great until you really load it up, and yes...it's catastrophic if you find out you've missed getting a ceiling joint for the hook!:rolleyes
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w18/1BROKENDOLL/IMGP1795.jpg
After getting only half the closet empty, I felt a need to document this brilliant idea, not to mention take a 4 hour break to check the board for amusement. You can see this was not an amusing project...It was a conspiracy...against myself!
I thought about video taping this for shits and grins, but I had reached the crucial time of trying things on to see whether they were worthy of keeping, or if I could even get my ass into them anymore... Seriously, unemployment does nothing for retaining your shape, other than to enlarge your ass, I've learned...Pete came home from work to find me trying to battle a pair of size 3 pants with a now size 5/7/9 ass, using only my thighs to keep them from sliding up any further!(Keep in mind that those size 3 were from an era in my life that was spent on the speed diet.:nono) He actually stuck around in case I needed to call Life Flight and have myself pried out of anything! LOL Knowing the size 3's weren't going any further than my thighs made it easier to toss any items into the bag. I expected there would be a small hassle with the size 5's...not much. Well, that is until my favorite 5's couldn't be zipped up! I was left wallowing in a pile of clothes and only 1/2 way done with this now unbrilliant idea I had! Shit! There's no fucking way this needed to be videotaped, I don't care how hilarious it would have been for others!
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w18/1BROKENDOLL/IMGP1791.jpg
In any case...If anyone is interested in clothing from the late 70's, 80's, 90's, and has questions or advice as to what I should do with certain styles, or what they do with theirs, I'm open for discussion. I'm also willing to accept any imformation on this disorder I have that keeps me from throwing out my prairie skirts from the 80's and my mini skirts from the 90's...:rolleyes

BROKENDOLL
09-04-2009, 01:13 PM
Shit! I can't even fit the shit on my screen!:sorry

kitt kat
09-04-2009, 01:19 PM
and i know we've talked about gone with the wind either in here or the movie thread, i'm in the minority in liking it so much.

i absolutely love it

obzen
09-04-2009, 01:30 PM
:pulse

chiapet
09-04-2009, 02:25 PM
amy, your thighs could not be construed as 'big' by any definition or comparison.

There are quite a few studies recently talking about people who are very very thin having high risk for some of the same health problems as those who are obese (namely heart disease). I always wonder though if they aren't looking at people who are unnaturally thin... meaning they are attempting to be thinner than their bodies would prefer to be.

amyzzz
09-04-2009, 02:36 PM
you mean anorexia.

BROKENDOLL
09-04-2009, 02:37 PM
amy, your thighs could not be construed as 'big' by any definition or comparison.

There are quite a few studies recently talking about people who are very very thin having high risk for some of the same health problems as those who are obese (namely heart disease). I always wonder though if they aren't looking at people who are unnaturally thin... meaning they are attempting to be thinner than their bodies would prefer to be.
I know when I was unnaturally thin, I'd stand in front of the mirror just as pissed off and disgusted as overweight girls. It was bad enough having smallish boobs, but to live without a buttcrack?
I did have a Dr. tell me though that yes, being extrememly underweight is just as unhealthy as being over. Alot of your serious health issues have loss of weight as a symptom for something worse.If you become ill and start lkosing weight that you didn't have, you're putting just as much strain on the rest of your body as you would with the extra weight. Think of it as being like a camel...just don't be a big camel.

miscorrections
09-04-2009, 02:39 PM
I've never been unnaturally thin but I felt like shit all the time when I lost 4 sizes. I'd rather be bigger and deal with possible health complications later and not feel like crap all the time now.

chiapet
09-04-2009, 02:46 PM
Yes, Amy, anorexia or even just maintaining a weight in a "normal" range that is too low for that person. There are a lot of people who do that -- who have to work out every single day and really watch what they eat to maintain their weight. That is not considered anorexia though unless they drop too low in BMI/weight. Our culture fully supports women (and men!) doing that.

I think your body picks the size it would like to be, for some people that's much thinner and for some it's much heavier. Eating disorders, on both sides of the spectrum, take people further from their body's natural state and from healthy weights. It's nice that medicine as a field is finally trying to understand that people who are thinner or heavier than the "average" are not necessarily unhealthy and don't necessarily have an eating problem.

chiapet
09-04-2009, 02:51 PM
I've been unnaturally thin and at the time I didn't think I felt like shit, but in reality I missed so much school during those years that my school briefly considered having me repeat a year despite having excellent grades. I used to miss something like 40+ days of school per year. I can't even fathom being sick so often, now.

As fat as I am, my doctor can never find anything unhealthy about me that is caused by my weight. She even acknowledged that if she tells me to lose weight it's just because I am far over the BMI chart. I am a lot healthier and happier now than when I was thin.

I think I link thinness to emotional distress and unhappiness. I've never been thin and really happy.

miscorrections
09-04-2009, 02:52 PM
Seriously, I never went to class. I was sick and grumpy all the time. Not eating sucks.

BROKENDOLL
09-04-2009, 03:04 PM
I've been unnaturally thin and at the time I didn't think I felt like shit, but in reality I missed so much school during those years that my school briefly considered having me repeat a year despite having excellent grades. I used to miss something like 40+ days of school per year. I can't even fathom being sick so often, now.

As fat as I am, my doctor can never find anything unhealthy about me that is caused by my weight. She even acknowledged that if she tells me to lose weight it's just because I am far over the BMI chart. I am a lot healthier and happier now than when I was thin.

I think I link thinness to emotional distress and unhappiness. I've never been thin and really happy.
Truth of the matter is, when my mother passed away, I lost more weight than any drug could have done years before. On top of losing an appetite, I'd relieve my pain and stress by running everyday thinking it would help clear my head.

chiapet
09-04-2009, 03:30 PM
Oh I just did drugs and drank a lot. :) You wouldn't think that would make you thin, but I guess worrying over money and houses and siblings apparently is also a great way to lose a lot of weight.

I always hear about stress eating, people overeating when they are too worried. Stress for me usually means I have more to do than I can hope to accomplish and don't take time to eat. Unfortunately this is a very regular occurrence for me right now. Once again today I have not had anything to eat or even drink at all. I end up either going to bed hungry (which is terrible health wise, fucks up my blood sugar, and I wake up feeling sick) or when I finally get some time grab whatever take out I can find to eat and pick at it. I don't know how people can eat a lot when they're stressed.

Now comfort eating is another thing, when I'm sick I am soooo hungry!

amyzzz
09-04-2009, 03:32 PM
Chia, there are a LOT of people who don't eat when they're stressed. Maybe it's not as common as overeating due to stress, but I've heard about/known people who do it.

rskapcat
09-04-2009, 03:39 PM
I eat. All occasions, all emotions. Food. Yes.

Pixiessp
09-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Someone please recommend a facial mask for pore reduction. The one I used to use is no longer available (I think). The last one I tried was ridiculous.
Thought it was the kind you smooth on with your fingers. Turns out it was an actual mask that attaches to your face. It had holes for mouth, nose and eyes. It was weird and looked even more weird. It felt like I was looking through the hollowed out head in Jeepers Creepers. *shudder*

Courtney
09-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Pixie, I quite like the Neutrogena Pore Refining gel. It's readily available, and cheap so it's not a huge investment to try out. Although it's not a mask. And I also am highly suspicious of any product that claims to change the size of your pores. (Is that even possible?)

miscorrections
09-08-2009, 04:19 PM
If they're clogged with shit I can imagine getting the shit out would shrink pore size, but that's about it. Otherwise I think those claims are entirely fabricated.

Hannahrain
Shrink ray.

Hannahrain
Link Wray.

chairmenmeow47
09-08-2009, 04:34 PM
i also never understood the changing of your pore size. one thing that helps me look "fresh" if i'm doing a lot of travelling or in the sun/snow a lot is putting a cold cloth on my face for a few minutes a day. it's cheap and easy :thu

Courtney
09-08-2009, 04:39 PM
I agree that temperature can change pore size. That makes sense.

Courtney
09-08-2009, 04:39 PM
I just came back from the hairdresser (switched auburn red to DARK brown, and shorter bangs), and my coworker told me that I now look like "that creepy lady on tv who talks to ghosts." Awesome.

chiapet
09-08-2009, 04:47 PM
Well I get the shrinking pores thing to an extent. If you have really dry or really oily skin, sun damage, clogged pores, etc, they are going to be enlarged, and those are situations you can deal with. Where it becomes problematic is with women who have good skin who compare themselves to pictures of airbrushed models.

I tend to obsess over pore size, however thankfully my skin has completely freaked out recently and I have huge scabby pimples all over to distract me from my usual problems.

locachica73
09-11-2009, 10:41 AM
Oh I just did drugs and drank a lot. :) You wouldn't think that would make you thin, but I guess worrying over money and houses and siblings apparently is also a great way to lose a lot of weight.

I always hear about stress eating, people overeating when they are too worried. Stress for me usually means I have more to do than I can hope to accomplish and don't take time to eat. Unfortunately this is a very regular occurrence for me right now. Once again today I have not had anything to eat or even drink at all. I end up either going to bed hungry (which is terrible health wise, fucks up my blood sugar, and I wake up feeling sick) or when I finally get some time grab whatever take out I can find to eat and pick at it. I don't know how people can eat a lot when they're stressed.

Now comfort eating is another thing, when I'm sick I am soooo hungry!

I am the same way. I have lost around 40lbs since coachella due to job loss and kid stress and all the other shit in my life. I just forget to eat, never really feel hungry. The other day I went up to meet Nick and passed out cold. When I came too I couldn't figure out what happened. Then realized I hadn't eaten all day. On top of an extremely long "girl time" I must of had low blood sugar or iron or something because I went to the ground and was out for about a minute. I drank a glass of OJ and ate some chicken and felt much better. So even if your not hungry try to remind yourself to eat.

amyzzz
09-11-2009, 11:10 AM
I was very close to passing out during McCartney at Coach because I hadn't eaten since 1pm that day (and had been standing for 5 hours). So yeah, EAT.

herro kitty
09-19-2009, 08:58 PM
I recently made a girl friend who said she doesn't like girls and has no girl friends (besides me! I'm like the first one!). I know there are a lot of girls who choose to only have guy friends. They complain that other girls are bitches and are lame and stuff... but I can describe those girls with the same attributes. I don't feel that there's a lot of sisterhood anymore.

How do you guys feel about girls who only have guy friends?

MissingPerson
09-19-2009, 09:01 PM
I have primarily guy friends, but I think that comes from my line of work - video games - and line of study - video games.

herro kitty
09-19-2009, 09:10 PM
Ah, so you're the one all the nerd boys drool over when you're not around huh :) But you don't reject friendship from females, do you?

MissingPerson
09-19-2009, 09:19 PM
No, no. But... I'd be lying if I said I don't find it a lot easier to casually hang out with a bunch of guys than with their ovary-bearing counterparts. Ideally, I like my social circles co-ed, but if I had to choose, I am a little more comfortable in all-guy company than in all-girl company.

I don't really know why that is beyond a tendency for common interests, and I don't really know how anybody could deliberately filter all other girls out of their lives. That's a bit odd alright.

amyzzz
09-19-2009, 09:50 PM
Hmph.

Pixiessp
09-19-2009, 10:22 PM
Pixie, I quite like the Neutrogena Pore Refining gel. It's readily available, and cheap so it's not a huge investment to try out. Although it's not a mask. And I also am highly suspicious of any product that claims to change the size of your pores. (Is that even possible?)

This particular product did state that it reduced the size of pores and it appeared to. Pores get larger as you age(So I've heard). Never used to have such large pores. Have never had problems with acne and I wash my face every night before bed so I doubt it is due to dirt in my pores.
Thank you very much for the suggestion. I will give it a try. :)

Mr.Nipples
09-19-2009, 10:23 PM
im pregnant...

Pixiessp
09-19-2009, 10:25 PM
you would look cute pregnant. :)

algunz
09-19-2009, 10:29 PM
I have always been one of those girls with more guy friends than girls. I find men more relaxed, and genuine. They usually have a greater sense of self and a sense of humor that I can understand and appreciate.

Now at my age, women have proven to be even more tedious. It seems that most have been reduced to having nothing to talk about except work, manicures, and children - all conversations I prefer to avoid.

I have been lucky to have found a few female gems over the past few years. I can confidently say I have 4 women in my life whom are true friends & confidants. I am working on being more open-minded when it comes to meeting women. Unfortunately, they are often threatened by me and can never get past their insecurities.

sydaud
09-19-2009, 10:39 PM
Now at my age, women have proven to be even more tedious. It seems that most have been reduced to having nothing to talk about except work, manicures, and children - all conversations I prefer to avoid.

And as a guy of a certain age, I will agree with you 100%. I thought that I'd be dating women that would have something interesting to talk about, due to life experience..but all they talk about is work and kids; as if they have the only children and jobs on the face of the planet.

(I know it's the girls only thread, but after tonight, I just HAD to jump in).

Pixiessp
09-19-2009, 10:46 PM
And as a guy of a certain age, I will agree with you 100%. I thought that I'd be dating women that would have something interesting to talk about, due to life experience..but all they talk about is work and kids; as if they have the only children and jobs on the face of the planet.

(I know it's the girls only thread, but after tonight, I just HAD to jump in).

I have the same problem.

nicolemxo
09-20-2009, 08:41 AM
Hello ladies. I am a new one.

Name's Nicole, 24, currently living in NYC. I hope to make it to my first Coachella this April.

Pixiessp
09-20-2009, 08:43 AM
Welcome. :)

amyzzz
09-20-2009, 09:21 AM
We hope to see you there, Nicole.

captncrzy
09-20-2009, 09:52 AM
Nicole, don't post too many pictures of yourself or they'll eat you alive. Just some friendly advice.

Courtney
09-20-2009, 10:25 AM
Welcome, Nicole. You're planning for your first Coachella early (which is a good thing)!

Missing Person and Algunz, I'm pretty much the opposite of you guys. All of my really close friends are either women or gay men. Although I'm not sure how much this has to do with preference, and how much simply with convenience -- I went to an undergrad college that was mostly women and gay men, and since then I have worked in a primarily female and gay male-dominated industry.

herro kitty
09-20-2009, 10:28 AM
I have always been one of those girls with more guy friends than girls. I find men more relaxed, and genuine. They usually have a greater sense of self and a sense of humor that I can understand and appreciate.

I have been lucky to have found a few female gems over the past few years. I can confidently say I have 4 women in my life whom are true friends & confidants. I am working on being more open-minded when it comes to meeting women. Unfortunately, they are often threatened by me and can never get past their insecurities.

Alessandra, I think men are pleasant enough.. but I don't think they have a greater sense of self than women.

The majority of women I know are hilarious, intelligent, and awesome... I'm hurt when girls don't give each other enough credit. We're all just trying to stay afloat and on top of the game. It doesn't help when our own gender assumes we're not worth getting to know.. you know?

I feel that if even women already assume that other women are too tiresome and boring, no one will bother with us. I don't want to give up believing that women can be great friends, too.

It'll be easy pickings for guys if girls are divided. I see it as being in an coalition. If a guy treats a girl unfairly, all her girlfriends will retaliate and pressure the guy to be better. But if a guy treats a girl unfairly and she has no one to talk to... well, then... the guy just gets away with it. And the girl won't know that she deserves better.

gaypalmsprings
09-20-2009, 10:40 AM
http://www.stinkfight.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/day5and6wyomingoc-031.jpg

hawkingvsreeve
09-20-2009, 10:56 AM
It'll be easy pickings for guys if girls are divided. I see it as being in an coalition. If a guy treats a girl unfairly, all her girlfriends will retaliate and pressure the guy to be better. But if a guy treats a girl unfairly and she has no one to talk to... well, then... the guy just gets away with it. And the girl won't know that she deserves better.

This sort of contradicts your greater sense of self theory.

herro kitty
09-20-2009, 11:19 AM
This sort of contradicts your greater sense of self theory.

Ah. I see what I did there. Instead of reading "greater sense of self" as being independent, I interpreted it as knowing who you really are.

I think I meant to say that everyone in general is confused about who they are.

nicolemxo
09-20-2009, 11:43 AM
I don't know if men have a greater sense of self. I was recently dumped by a fellow who had to find himself and a number of my friends have been dumped for the exactly same reasons. Even male friends of ours seem to be going through a quarter life crisis, while we're all sitting around wondering what is going on.

Maybe I am lucky to have a bunch of female friends that are comfortable and confident in who they are, but it seems that, from my current experience, women have the heads up on this one.

hawkingvsreeve
09-20-2009, 11:48 AM
My experiences tell me otherwise, but I guess that means that we are all even.

JustSteve
09-20-2009, 04:21 PM
ladies of the cmb, please explain to me why i just got yelled at by one of yours for leaving an empty can of coke on the bathroom counter. some background: this is not a normal occurrence, i am a very clean person and pick up after myself and the kids constantly. i just had sinus surgery a few days ago and taking it downstairs to the kitchen to throw away just isn't in the cards right now.

why is a mountain made out of this molehill? there is nothing else i could have done in the last few days to upset her since i have been laid up in bed. thanks for any help in understanding this!

nicolemxo
09-20-2009, 04:24 PM
Hm...if you've just had surgery I don't see why she would be upset. Do you leave empty cans there all the time? If so, that would be the only reason why I think she'd be upset.

Frankly, I'd let you off the hook if you just had surgery.

hawkingvsreeve
09-20-2009, 04:34 PM
Women are crazy. That has always been the answer, and it will continue to be the answer.

nicolemxo
09-20-2009, 04:38 PM
Women are crazy. That has always been the answer, and it will continue to be the answer.

SOME women are crazy. The same goes for men as well.

hawkingvsreeve
09-20-2009, 04:39 PM
No no. It's all of you. Some of you are very nice and I love you very much, but you are crazy.

rskapcat
09-20-2009, 04:43 PM
Steve, I assume you're talking about the wife, correct? If you just had surgery & have been laid up in bed, I'm sure she has more responsibility than normal on her shoulders. She's probably tired & stressed; as a result of that, she would probably overreact to just about anything. Don't take it personally. I'm a typical crazy woman, so I know things. ;)

BROKENDOLL
09-20-2009, 04:43 PM
This is because we've discovered it to be the only way of avoiding the "Stepford Wife Syndrome." Just when the guys think, "Cool, I've got her right where I want her," we go and pull the crazy card out of the pile and thwart your desires!

nicolemxo
09-20-2009, 04:44 PM
mwhahahaha.

BROKENDOLL
09-20-2009, 04:47 PM
ladies of the cmb, please explain to me why i just got yelled at by one of yours for leaving an empty can of coke on the bathroom counter. some background: this is not a normal occurrence, i am a very clean person and pick up after myself and the kids constantly. i just had sinus surgery a few days ago and taking it downstairs to the kitchen to throw away just isn't in the cards right now.

why is a mountain made out of this molehill? there is nothing else i could have done in the last few days to upset her since i have been laid up in bed. thanks for any help in understanding this!
Ah, maybe you haven't done anything wrong in the last few days, but how about buying the trashbasket for upstairs that you were supposed to pickup 3weeks ago? Just becasue we didn't bitch about it then doesn't mean we haven't filed it for later use...

Seriously, you have a 2 story and no trashbaskets upstairs?
Kidding, I don't really have an answer for you...I might in 3 weeks though! :winkiss

Suffacated
09-20-2009, 06:00 PM
PMS..:sorry

Hang in there bro....
It will be all better in a few days...

Courtney
09-20-2009, 06:06 PM
Steve, I assume you're talking about the wife, correct? If you just had surgery & have been laid up in bed, I'm sure she has more responsibility than normal on her shoulders. She's probably tired & stressed; as a result of that, she would probably overreact to just about anything. Don't take it personally.

This.

Courtney
09-20-2009, 06:16 PM
To answer Brandon's statement of gross stereotype:

Yes, some women are crazy. Some men are crazy too.

I think in general, women do often tend to be more attuned to emotional subtleties and interpersonal dynamics. In general, I find that often women are more process-oriented and men are more results-oriented. These sorts of differences have both good and bad aspects. One of the bad aspects is that sometimes some of us seem batshit insane. But it's also that soft, intuitive, emotionally-aware package of personality traits that I am tremendously appreciative of, in certain situations.

BROKENDOLL
09-20-2009, 06:19 PM
PMS..:sorry
Hang in there bro....
It will be all better in a few days...
Which is why I had suffacated hunting down a mop head today that I've needed for weeks! He's just been nodding his head and agreeing with me, and brought me aspirin before I even got out of bed this morning! (I don't know how he tolerates the little nubbin horns coming out the top of my head though...It's not pretty...)

Steve, I assume you're talking about the wife, correct? If you just had surgery & have been laid up in bed, I'm sure she has more responsibility than normal on her shoulders. She's probably tired & stressed; as a result of that, she would probably overreact to just about anything. Don't take it personally. I'm a typical crazy woman, so I know things. ;)
Actually, this is the correct answer which really means you need to atleast kiss her ass while you're laying there. (I may not be the typical crazy woman...)

JustSteve
09-20-2009, 06:21 PM
Ah, maybe you haven't done anything wrong in the last few days, but how about buying the trashbasket for upstairs that you were supposed to pickup 3weeks ago? Just becasue we didn't bitch about it then doesn't mean we haven't filed it for later use...

Seriously, you have a 2 story and no trashbaskets upstairs?
Kidding, I don't really have an answer for you...I might in 3 weeks though! :winkiss

we have baskets upstairs, but my son is at the stage where he likes to get into everything and really likes soda cans for some reason. every time i am drinking one he does his grabby hands for it. so i wanted to avoid soda stains and sticky floors, that's why it was on the counter. so in reality i was actually making it easier for her since there would be nothing to clean up...you know, since it's her job to keep the house clean and all...yeah, that's it...just kidding(before my internet head gets bitten off).

BROKENDOLL
09-20-2009, 06:26 PM
we have baskets upstairs, but my son is at the stage where he likes to get into everything and really likes soda cans for some reason. every time i am drinking one he does his grabby hands for it. so i wanted to avoid soda stains and sticky floors, that's why it was on the counter. so in reality i was actually making it easier for her since there would be nothing to clean up...you know, since it's her job to keep the house clean and all...yeah, that's it...just kidding(before my internet head gets bitten off).
God, you guys have excuses for everything, don't you?
Go ahead, blame it on the "grabby hands thing!" <Actually, that's pretty cute. I think it's a trait that alot of men have and can't be cured. That, and the, "I have to take it apart to see how it works," thing...

captncrzy
09-20-2009, 06:35 PM

Was it Diet Coke or regular Coke? If it was diet, I'd ignore it myself. If it was regular, I'd yell. Ants.

Suffacated
09-20-2009, 06:37 PM
so in reality i was actually making it easier for her since there would be nothing to clean up...you know, since it's her job to keep the house clean and all...yeah, that's it...just kidding(before my internet head gets bitten off).

You had better sleep with one eye open after even having thoughts like that.

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr212/mohansa/8hfsvghxgv87trwg.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k119/kristinakilley/John_Wayne_Bobbitt_lawyer.jpg

hawkingvsreeve
09-20-2009, 07:37 PM
Dude.

Dude.

Gribbz
09-20-2009, 07:41 PM
Dude.

Dude.

Srsly.

obzen
09-20-2009, 08:07 PM
*Walks in*

*Turns,walks out*

kitt kat
09-20-2009, 08:09 PM

I'm having the same problems :( Most women just really put me off and I desire no substantial friendships with them...

But you know, sometimes I DO prefer shopping over watching football, and sadly, I have VERY few people I can rely on for such excursions.

DRcube
09-20-2009, 08:11 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/rawbery79/Gifs/simpsons.gif

Still-ill
09-20-2009, 08:14 PM
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k119/kristinakilley/John_Wayne_Bobbitt_lawyer.jpg

She was trying to cut the foreskin?

Seriously though... bitch...

hawkingvsreeve
09-20-2009, 08:15 PM
DUDE.

Pixiessp
09-20-2009, 08:54 PM
Wow. Could have gone without seeing that.

amyzzz
09-20-2009, 09:26 PM
*sigh*

algunz
09-20-2009, 09:57 PM
Barbara, I haven't been lucky enough to have had a friendship with a coalition of women. :p

But . . . what I meant by "a greater sense of self" has nothing to do with confidence. I have met many confident women and my girlfriends are among them. I have just found men to be more laid back and comfortable to be around, and women more likely to feel like they have something to prove. I don't want that kind of pressure when I'm out and wanting to get my PLUR on. :)

Don't get me wrong though. I LOVE women. I just can't always be friends with them.

Pixiessp
09-20-2009, 10:50 PM
Barbara, I haven't been lucky enough to have had a friendship with a coalition of women. :p

But . . . what I meant by "a greater sense of self" has nothing to do with confidence. I have met many confident women and my girlfriends are among them. I have just found men to be more laid back and comfortable to be around, and women more likely to feel like they have something to prove. I don't want that kind of pressure when I'm out and wanting to get my PLUR on. :)

Don't get me wrong though. I LOVE women. I just can't always be friends with them.

Embrace the Sisterhood, Gunz.

brittany
09-21-2009, 12:02 AM
I've never had a loyal girl friend. My best friend my whole life was a girl but we were always off and on (she'd stab me in the back, I'd forgive her a few months later..) Once we started college we stopped talking. Right now I have two female friends, one I'm not very comfortable around but we get along... the other just had a baby so she's super busy and only talks about the baby or how tired she is.

I like my gay male friends, we can talk about boys and not have to worry about fighting over the same one. :p

I do wish I could find some cool girls to hang out with, though.

sonofhal
09-21-2009, 12:15 AM
I've found all the women i've dated to be a little crazy (They dated me. There lies the first clue). I wouldn't want them any other way.

I've never dated any men, so I have no point of comparison.

Gribbz
09-21-2009, 12:21 AM
I've found all the women i've dated to be a little crazy (They dated me. There lies the first clue). I wouldn't want them any other way.

I've never dated any men, so I have no point of comparison.

Mirrored situations my friend.

boarderwoozel3
09-21-2009, 12:50 AM
I think these perceptions and trends are rooted in the classic emotional double standard of the sexes. Men are taught form a young age that "big boys don't cry" and tend to suppress emotion as a result. Conversely, it's considered acceptable for women to express a broader range of emotion without it being perceived as weakness.

So what we're describing as 'women being crazy' or 'men being more laid back' are trends stemming from the different ways each sex is usually taught to handle emotion. And each sexes/individual's perceived stats quo in dealing with emotion based on their own experience.

:2c

Suffacated
09-21-2009, 05:21 AM
Not true....
I cried yesterday.......allot......

chairmenmeow47
09-21-2009, 07:10 AM
I recently made a girl friend who said she doesn't like girls and has no girl friends (besides me! I'm like the first one!). I know there are a lot of girls who choose to only have guy friends. They complain that other girls are bitches and are lame and stuff... but I can describe those girls with the same attributes. I don't feel that there's a lot of sisterhood anymore.

How do you guys feel about girls who only have guy friends?

i have a lot of guy friends, but i also have a lot of girl friends. a lot of my girl friends i've known for a long time too. i generally find it annoying when girls claim that they hate all other girls and don't have ANY girl friends simply because all girls "suck". while yes, there are a lot of girls that are only interested in shopping or that are only interested in dating your boyfriend or whatever. but there are also millions of girls out there and in your decades on this planet you're bound to find one or two who are into the same quirky shit you are and become friends.

i also don't trust people (guys or girls) who don't have any extremely close friends. it's a sign to me that you're might just be hard to get along with. even "bitchy" girls can find other bitches to be friends with; i just don't get girls who seem to go out of their way NOT to have any female friends and it's extremely annoying to hear monologues about how they're "not like other girls". i mean first off, why do you want all your friends to be exactly like you? i hate to break it to those chicks, but you're not the only girl who is interested in traditionally non-female behavior.

chairmenmeow47
09-21-2009, 07:17 AM
and with regard to crazy, i am definitely emotionally crazy. it sucks because i can logically be ok with something, but my emotions will still make me cry or feel hurt like a child or something. it's like my brain and my heart are fighting. i'm working on it, but it's rough.

locachica73
09-21-2009, 07:37 AM
I am one of the girls who has more guy friends then girl friends but that is because I have worked around guys mostly for the last 15 years. I also like to do guy like things like play poker, pool, drink beer, etc. Most women my age tend to be done with that side of life because they have found their man and apparently that means they give up fun for staying home and being a wife. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I have a problem with having girlfriends who are all cool with hanging out and having fun until they find a man and then they have to ask permission to hang out with you. I have lost alot of girlfriends to this and it makes me leary about being friends with girls. I also am not a big fan of shopping or sitting at a movie theatre which seems to be the only thing women with boyfriends ever want to do. But I do find a few girls now and then who are more like me and I enjoy every minute I get to hang out with those girls. I just know that in most cases that friendship will end once they find a man. But there are men who do this as well, and I have a low tolerance for this behavior from them as well. Anyone who only calls me when their significant other isn't around can just stop calling me all together.

rskapcat
09-21-2009, 08:10 AM
I'm having a hard time formulating a response to the "guy friends vs girl friends" business. I have a handful of close female friends, mostly from high school. Andy is my best friend...he knows me better than anyone. I'm very close to my mother. My friend Grace is the closest thing I have to a sister. Other than those 3, I don't let many people in. I'm a very private person, & I find it's easier to maintain that with male acquaintances than female.

chiapet
09-21-2009, 11:37 AM
I've tried to address this topic a few times and each time ending up just erasing what I've typed, but boarder has summed it up, that I think these "don't have female friends" situations arise out of people struggling with gender stereotypes. When you feel you don't fit the stereotypical traits of your gender, and don't encounter a lot of other people of your gender who do not embody them either, it can be easy to decide you just don't get on with a gender.

I definitely felt this before I moved to California. I don't know if it was the change in location or growing older that allowed me to be introduced to a lot of women who fit this same "never had many girl friends" category. I still have a lot of male friends and feel absolutely at home with them, but now I do have quite a few close female friends with whom I have a lot of common ground.

It's not as simple as the suggestion, kitt kat, that it's about interests like shopping or watching football, I think Jeff was closer that it's about emotions as they pertain to 1x1 or social dynamics.

I am still uncomfortable around a lot of "types" of girls but at least I've found that I can be friends with some. ;)

miscorrections
09-21-2009, 11:43 AM
I get along well with girls and my two best friends are female but apart from best friend status it is just so much EASIER to hang out with guys. Girls my age bitch too much and tend to be kind of batshit. Plus you never have to try as hard with your appearance when hanging out with guys as you do with girls.

locachica73
09-21-2009, 11:48 AM
Chia, I do agree, I have found more women that I can get along with now then I use to when I was younger. That was mostly because the women I met were girlfriends of my boyfriends friends. Mostly mexican women who were not allowed to do the same things the guys were. So they would sit in the kitchen gossiping and talking shit while the men sat out drinking beer and smoking cigerettes. So I became the enemy because I was "allowed" to hang out with the guys. So I kind of just got a bad taste in my mouth when it came to my gender. I do have more female friends now then I ever did in the past. But I will admit it takes me a very long time to open up to women just because they tend to be alot more catty and gossipy then I care for. I am glad though that most of the women on this board seem to be less "that girl".

BROKENDOLL
09-21-2009, 12:04 PM
When I was younger, my friendship ratio was pretty evenly balanced between the guys and the girls. I've learned over the years that marriages, babies, and general daily routines in everyone's lives can interfere with continued friendships, as well as the lesson I learned by having the so-called wrong friends. That lesson probably opened my eyes and made me more sceptical about sharing friendships so readily. After afew more years of trials and tribulations in my life, I began to realize more what true friends are as opposed to aquaintances I had called friends...

"A true friend knows when you've made an ass of yourself, you haven't done a permanent job..." Ashleigh Brilliant

"A real friend is one who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you've forgotten the words..." Unknown

I remember someone telling me years ago that if you die with 1-2 true friends, you can consider yourself blessed. Back then I couldn't fathom that statement, but as time goes by, it's making much more sense. I'm even more blessed that my best and truest friend just so happens to be the person I'm in love and living with...Lord knows how many times he's seen me be an ass, or has reminded me of the words to my song...:pulse

HowToDisappear
09-21-2009, 12:59 PM
My criteria for friendship with either gender is that you be sane, intelligent (and/or have a good measure of common sense), that you're kind and good, not a drama queen (if you thrive on drama, seek it out, or god forbid create it and then drag it into my life I will cut you off at the knees and then burn the bridge between us as I walk away); that you not talk too much (unless you're really really funny then you're excused), not be a phone person, not need too much attention, and not be a whiner.

Wow, since that eliminates about 99.99% percent of the population, I guess that explains why I've only ever had one or two very close friends at any given point in my life. And I am perfectly content to do so. I have always found the concept of having many friends and acquaintances to be very peculiar. To me it shows an alarming lack of discrimination or discretion, or an unhealthy need to be wanted, needed or appealing to everyone around you.

rskapcat
09-21-2009, 01:29 PM
I'm easily overstimulated, so the idea of having a large & varied group of acquaintances with whom I hang out constantly puts me into panic attack mode. I prefer having a few dependable friends who are low-key like me over being a social butterfly. I like my alone time.
I have a coworker who is the exact opposite, & while we get along okay, I secretly suspect that she is an alien.

hawkingvsreeve
09-21-2009, 02:01 PM
I keep opening this thread only to see a dismembered penis. Usually you dont forget about that, but I am having troubles remembering.

SoulDischarge
09-21-2009, 02:06 PM
Plus you never have to try as hard with your appearance when hanging out with guys as you do with girls.

I'm sure the non-effort is appreciated.

I have lots of very close female friends, usually way more than male friends, but I'm so glad I don't have to date you. Y'all bitches crazy.

rskapcat
09-21-2009, 02:18 PM
I'm sure the non-effort is appreciated.

I have lots of very close female friends, usually way more than male friends, but I'm so glad I don't have to date you. Y'all bitches crazy.

:pulse :pulse :pulse :winkiss

JustSteve
09-21-2009, 02:27 PM
Oh the joys of waking up today...my wife decided to leave the keys in the ignition of our car overnight after cleaning it out. so i have both kids dressed and downstairs ready to go...and already in a sweat due to the heat. it is naptime and bottles are ready to go. keys are not hanging where they usually are. i call. she has no idea. after looking around the house for a bit while the kids get fussy i go to the car and the window is rolled down, keys in ignition. go to pull them out and they are stuck because they are in the on position. battery is dead. kids are crying now. have to call for a jump and end up waiting an hour with 2 unhappy children, feeling like i already need another shower just an hour or so after the first one. get jumped and go to put my daughter in her new booster seat. it is not clipped in, even though i am told it was ready to go. spend another 20 minutes in the blazing sun getting the belts adjusted to the right height. and then i'm done...well, except for having to run to babies r us, target, and old navy to make returns and get a new gas cap at the dealership since the old one broke. ah, a day in the life...and i still love her!

rskapcat
09-21-2009, 02:32 PM
...Did she apologize for yelling about the soda can? :p

JustSteve
09-21-2009, 02:41 PM
she's a woman, of course not. no matter what happens in our relationship i have accepted that it is my fault, always. life is just easier that way.

chiapet
09-21-2009, 02:48 PM
Brandon, we tried as hard as we could to push this to the next page... and now we are there. So there you go.

Corinna, you absolutely do not act your age. That is an awesome thing about you.

And YES it's so fucking nonsensical but it is so much easier to hang out with men because of not having to try to impress. Women (generalizing!) are so much more malicious to and judgmental of each other than a guy would bother to be.

Now that I think about it, most of the female friends that I get along with well, I'd met through a guy. Maybe there is a natural level of acceptance, ie, if she is not so crazy as to drive the guy away, she is probably not too crazy for me. There are some exceptions to this since guys can certainly be crazy and/or dramatic and/or lacking good judgment too.

I've never seen a problem with having a lot of acquaintances or people with whom you are friendly, but feeling like all of those people are your "close" friends or best friends would seem a little off. I've always had a ton of friends but I am very selective when it comes down to the people I'd entrust with serious situations or important secrets. I look at it like.. there are hundreds of people I could gladly call to go have dinner, see a movie, or have some drinks, but maybe 5 or so that I'd trust to take care of me when I'm sick, and at most 2 or 3 that I'd trust with anything financial/legal on my behalf.

chiapet
09-21-2009, 02:50 PM
she's a woman, of course not. no matter what happens in our relationship i have accepted that it is my fault, always. life is just easier that way.

:P

Some of us can admit when we're wrong. Especially if it's something idiotic like leaving the car running (or on auxiliary). At least you live somewhere nice, apparently, where a car left with keys is still there to find, dead, in the morning. :)

HowToDisappear
09-21-2009, 02:53 PM
My husband and I had been married about a year, and he asked his Scottish grandfather, who had been married for 55+ years, what the secret was to a long and happy marriage. His answer?

"Keep your mouth shut, and give her whatever she wants."

We laughed. We thought he was joking. He wasn't. Wise man, I say. My husband disagrees. :)

Astrid
09-21-2009, 11:12 PM
i find that the only people i can really befriend and/or tolerate are men who exhibit more stereotypically female characteristics and women who are more stereotypically masculine. i cant stand girlie girls who play into the pathetic helpless victim role, just as much as i cant stand manboys who are hell bent on machismo. barf.

it makes so much more sense to blurrrr the gender lines, let us all marry emotion and logic, and embrace a better world!

algunz
09-21-2009, 11:32 PM
You have a great point there, Astrid. My girlfriends are all a bit butch and my guy friends (regardless of their manliness) are all rather "feminine." Maybe I just am drawn to those that don't fall under any specific category and are simply willing to be who they are.

Unfortunately, I seem to find that quality more in da boyz than the girlz.

Trust me. I have TRIED with the ladies, but only a strong few seem to be willing to take me on as a friend.

algunz
09-21-2009, 11:44 PM
Exhibit A: This is me trying at the wedding of one of my best girl friends. Can you tell who doesn't quite fit in?
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/n679199680_214203_1567.jpg

hawkingvsreeve
09-21-2009, 11:49 PM
The one in white?

No?

algunz
09-21-2009, 11:49 PM
And . . . I know that's half my problem. I can tell pretty quickly when I have little in common, so I'm not always that engaging and it comes off as aloof.

Let's play a game:

Who in this picture (besides the bride) did I connect with and actually had a really great time talking about music and books, smoking cigarettes and taking shots?

Suffacated
09-22-2009, 05:20 AM
It's the dwarf. You are the (stoned) one standing next to her.
Are they all really short or are you really tall?

locachica73
09-22-2009, 07:03 AM
And . . . I know that's half my problem. I can tell pretty quickly when I have little in common, so I'm not always that engaging and it comes off as aloof.

Let's play a game:

Who in this picture (besides the bride) did I connect with and actually had a really great time talking about music and books, smoking cigarettes and taking shots?

I am going to go with the shorter blonde chick next to you. She looks like she can slam some tequila and dance on a bar.

TomAz
09-22-2009, 07:16 AM
L to R:

stuck up bitch
batshit crazy bitch
bride bitch
will do anything to get a boyfriend bitch
stripper bitch
algunz bitch

miscorrections
09-22-2009, 08:54 AM
That is an ass-ugly color for bridesmaid gowns. People choose the worst color schemes for weddings.

captncrzy
09-22-2009, 08:56 AM
It's an ok color for a daytime outdoor summer wedding.

miscorrections
09-22-2009, 08:58 AM
No it isn't. It looks awful with white and all wedding party pictures will be crap as a result.

captncrzy
09-22-2009, 09:04 AM
Meh. I wouldn't pick it but I don't think it looks that bad. I've seen worse.

Speaking of bridesmaid dresses, which color is better (outdoor wedding at night, November)

Champagne
http://img.davidsbridal.com/db/f09_f13625_2.psd.xml&cmp-color=top,E6DDC6&ftr=5&cmp-end=1&wid=330&hei=460&cvt=jpg

or

Lapis (or plum)
http://img.davidsbridal.com/db/f09_f13625_2.psd.xml&cmp-color=top,4B3457&ftr=5&cmp-end=1&wid=330&hei=460&cvt=jpg

My dress is ivory and gold.

miscorrections
09-22-2009, 09:12 AM
Is there a way to get a sample of the fabrics and try them against your dress?

captncrzy
09-22-2009, 09:13 AM
...I actually hadn't thought of that. That's a good idea.

miscorrections
09-22-2009, 09:15 AM
I'll be here all week.

Pixiessp
09-22-2009, 09:17 AM
I'll be here all week.

In the Lido Room.

chairmenmeow47
09-22-2009, 09:20 AM
i'm with corinna that i don't like colours that almost look white for a bridesmaid dress, which includes any off-white colour or extremely pastel colour. i don't hate the green though, but that's more because i like that shade of green than my thoughts on how pictures will turn out.

and jen, go with the purple, ivoy and champagne are pretty much the same colour.

captncrzy
09-22-2009, 09:21 AM
Yeah, looking at the two together, I think you're right about the purple.

locachica73
09-22-2009, 09:28 AM
I have been a bridesmaid twice... One time it was pepto bismal pink and the next it was mint green. Both off the shoulder foo foo dresses. I have no tits to hold up an off the shoulder dress so all the photos I am damn near exposed. If I were to ever get married again (highly unlikely) I would try to be nicer to my girls then that lol. Capn... Is that the style of dress you are using? It is actually very cute and I could actually see someone wearing it again. I hated that I had to spend over $100 bucks on a dress that I would never get caught dead wearing again.

captncrzy
09-22-2009, 09:31 AM
I like the style of that dress; it's actually very similar to my gown. My sister is boobless though and doesn't want to wear a strapless dress. I think I'm just going to pick the color and tell them to pick whatever dress they want in that color.

miscorrections
09-22-2009, 09:34 AM
I agree with Ivy, purple is better in my mind. I'd still request samples though just to check.

If I ever get married I think I'll make the bridesmaid dresses a nice just-a-few-steps-from-medium gray. Very clean looking with white.

chairmenmeow47
09-22-2009, 09:35 AM
I like the style of that dress; it's actually very similar to my gown. My sister is boobless though and doesn't want to wear a strapless dress. I think I'm just going to pick the color and tell them to pick whatever dress they want in that color.

AWESOME idea. that's what i want to do if i get married. all my closest girlfriends are completely different in body type (one is rail thin, one is barely 5' and the other is a bit larger overall than the other two), so this seems like the best solution to me. plus, even if they end up spending money on a gown, at least it will be something they like.

the only time i was a bridesmaid i got to wear whatever i wanted, but it was a pretty informal affair.

Pixiessp
09-22-2009, 09:45 AM
I have always had a difficult time maintaining friendships with women after I tell them of my sexual preference. Keep in mind, these are women that I am not interested in dating. This goes for both close friendships and casual ones. It doesn't happen so much anymore as it did maybe 10 years ago.

Guys either feel threatened by the competition or else they think you are just one of the guys and start talking about women in graphic sexual terms. I have a few guy friends that are great and have never had a problem with it.

I grew up in a very small town and I think the rejection that I faced there has stayed with me throughout the years and makes me very cautious about who I let in.

Pixiessp
09-22-2009, 09:47 AM
Oh shoot!! We are talking about dresses now.

locachica73
09-22-2009, 09:52 AM
LOL HI PIXIE :)

Dresses, friends, periods, shoes, boys... who cares, as long as its entertaining.

When I married my ex we drove all night to reno and I wore a black skirt with black vest. He wore jeans and a nice shirt. If I were to get married again I would probably do a vegas wedding and then a big party with all our friends and family (the family I like anyway). Or barefoot on the beach.

miscorrections
09-22-2009, 09:55 AM
I want to get married at The Parker with just family and close friends. Very small, very classy. Unfortunately that would be like eighty bazillion dollars and I can't imagine ever having enough money to afford something like that.

captncrzy
09-22-2009, 10:02 AM
Seriously, weddings are the biggest racket of all time (other than funerals). Some of these fancy places here charge around $100+ a head plus a ceremony fee (from $1-$3k) AND 22% tax AND random gratuity fees.

HowToDisappear
09-22-2009, 10:19 AM
It's true. I planned a family reunion years ago, and in looking over the hotels and restaurants offerings, I realized that many of them charged 20-30 dollars more p/p for the exact same menu and room set-up just because it had the word wedding attached to it.

chiapet
09-22-2009, 10:25 AM
captn, I've been to quite a few weddings where all the bridesmaids had different dresses (or had a choice of a couple of styles). They worked with the same seamstress(es) for all dresses, so that everyone had the same fabrics and didn't do anything too wild.

It looks so much better to have dresses that actually look good on each person, as long as the styles are not so dramatically different that they detract from the bridge.

When I've been a bridesmaid, the dresses were always weird pastel colors, polyester, unflattering.

chiapet
09-22-2009, 10:31 AM
Back when I thought I wanted to get married, I wanted to rent out this old mansion (turned country club) that was built at the turn of the century and had lots of great architectural details and art deco details inside. I was going to have a winter wedding around Christmas time with an ivory velvet dress, sort of 20s styled, and have a vague roaring 20's theme to the event, in a sense of party all night like there will be no tomorrow. Of course in deciding this, I was going to be rich enough to fly everyone to the place I'd picked out and buy/rent them the appropriate type of attire. Because what is the point of getting married if it's not a huge spectacle and party?

locachica73
09-22-2009, 10:39 AM
I helped an ex and his new g/f plan a wedding (yes weird situation) but I ended up finding a few decent places that were free or low priced here in Phoenix. I just am not a real religious person so the whole wedding ceremony doesn't really mean alot to me. I just want to do it for the party and the presents.

My sister got married on the beach in Hawaii, actually at a spot where they filmed a famous scene from Lost... We are big fans. She isn't religious either and the only person she could find to do the ceremony that wasn't wanting to throw God all over the vows was a hawiann man who marries gay couples. It was the best wedding I have ever attended.

algunz
09-22-2009, 10:44 AM
L to R:

stuck up bitch
batshit crazy bitch
bride bitch
will do anything to get a boyfriend bitch
stripper bitch
algunz bitch

You're pretty good at first impressions, except for stripper bitch. That one was WAY off. :thu

And the answer to the quiz was WDATGAB Bitch.

Anywho, Capt'n I posted a wedding picture in the Post Your Picture thread. We picked the color and I sent them a ribbon to use. The picked whatever dress they could find that came as close to the color as possible. It worked out great because the dresses totally fit their personalities, and they could spend as much money as they were willing.

captncrzy
09-22-2009, 10:50 AM
Fortunately, we're only talking about two girls so I'm hoping it won't be much of a deal. Rick's sister is his "Wo"man of honor so she's going to wear a dress the same color as his suit so she looks like she's part of the groom's party. Probably black or dark gray.

I was lucky enough to find a place for an extremely reasonable price (free). I was hoping to use a place that lets you bring in your own caterer and alcohol, but those places have to make money in some way, so they jack up the facility costs. This place (Scottsdale Country Club) has reasonable catering and bar prices, and they were running a special-no facility fees. It's not exactly what I wanted (never wanted to do a golf course wedding; I wanted to do it in a more unique spot), but the price was right and it's workable. It has a nice indoor area with dark wood and dark wood chairs, a huge round patio, and a lawn area, so I can do an indoor/outdoor thing. Plus, the event coordinator is really cool and basically said I can do whatever I want. She even reworked the contract with us so our deposits could be more spread out.

locachica73
09-22-2009, 10:55 AM
I think the only place I found that was free that you could bring in your own caterer was at Arizona Center downtown in the gazebo area. I use to work down there and with the waterfalls and stuff I thought it would be pretty cool, but then I thought with my luck a movie would let out just as they were saying their vows.

chairmenmeow47
09-22-2009, 10:57 AM
i would have gone with cougar bitch instead of stripper bitch as she looks like she's been partying since she stepped out of the womb and thus looks a bit older than the other girls.

and i think everyone wants a unique wedding until they see the pricetag or the hassles involved. free is much better jen :thu

nicolemxo
09-22-2009, 05:45 PM
Oh man, when my ex boyfriend and I were together we always thought the idea of eloping somewhere (vegas would do, nyc courthouse, wherever!) and then having a party on a later date with our friends and family would be the way to go.

No white dress. No rings (if anything we were going to do the tattoo thing). Popeye's chicken was his only request for food.

Anywho, I look at this blog, ourlaboroflove.com for wedding inspiration. The photographs they take are absolutely adorable!

chiapet
09-22-2009, 06:05 PM
Hah. While I don't want to get married, I would be interested in a vintage sapphire engagement ring. If someone wanted to give me one without me actually making any sort of commitment. ;)

brittany
09-22-2009, 06:14 PM
I don't get the point of marriage.. Everyone always asks when my boyfriend and I are getting married.... It's rather annoying :)

brittany
09-22-2009, 06:16 PM
I love sapphire! My bf got me matching sapphire earrings, bracelet, and necklace for my birthday. I didn't know they made engagement rings out of sapphire. I really hate that all I see are diamond rings, so boring :P

chiapet
09-22-2009, 06:17 PM
I think marriage has valid 'points' from a legal perspective, for anyone who plans on being partnered for the long term. It needn't be the case, but until and unless people have equivalent coverage under domestic partnerships (for any gender configuration), there is still more protection and benefit offered legally under 'marriage.' If I planned on sharing property, money or kids with someone, I'd consider it. I don't intend on doing any of those things. :)

brittany
09-22-2009, 06:19 PM
My boyfriend and I have lived together and shared money for 4 years now... but still I don't want to think about marriage. I feel married enough, if that makes sense.

chiapet
09-22-2009, 06:23 PM
I didn't know they made engagement rings out of sapphire.

Yup! Engagement rings used to not be specifically diamonds (precious gemstones of any kind really), and sapphire in particular were popular in the 20's. Can't remember the reason - price compared to diamonds at that time, maybe?

Even sapphire accents look nice to me. Now I'm off looking at jewelry grrrrrrr

miscorrections
09-22-2009, 07:25 PM
Actually the reason people started favoring diamonds was due to the change from candles to electric lighting. Once lighting got better sparkle became more desired than color.

Pixiessp
09-22-2009, 07:30 PM
I had a beautiful diamond engagement ring once. The betch took it back.

locachica73
09-23-2009, 07:06 AM
I didn't get a ring... But I don't wear jewlery so I was ok with that. I would rather someone spend that money on a new house or a car then a sparkly thing on my finger. Or a really good vacation.

captncrzy
09-23-2009, 07:14 AM
I think the only place I found that was free that you could bring in your own caterer was at Arizona Center downtown in the gazebo area. I use to work down there and with the waterfalls and stuff I thought it would be pretty cool, but then I thought with my luck a movie would let out just as they were saying their vows.

I actually called them twice; they never called me back.

I think marriage has valid 'points' from a legal perspective, for anyone who plans on being partnered for the long term. It needn't be the case, but until and unless people have equivalent coverage under domestic partnerships (for any gender configuration), there is still more protection and benefit offered legally under 'marriage.' If I planned on sharing property, money or kids with someone, I'd consider it. I don't intend on doing any of those things. :)

I used to be a financial counselor and I can't tell you how many people I had in my office that entered themselves into domestic partnerships without the legal benefit of marriage. Eventually, one screwed the other over and without that "piece of paper", they lost everything. Gays fight so hard to get married so they can have the same legal and financial benefits as straight people. It's not just to have the paper for paper's sake.

Long way around to say that Chia is right on the money.

Actually the reason people started favoring diamonds was due to the change from candles to electric lighting. Once lighting got better sparkle became more desired than color.

Trivia. You're on fire today (or yesterday, as it were).

casey
09-23-2009, 07:22 AM
my friend had a really awesome wedding. she got super creative and the more creative she got the more fun her wedding was. she was on a budget and she wanted three things: to feed people, to have lots of booze, and to get married on the beach. but all that stuff is super expensive. in the end, she spent the most money on the beach but still got a great deal, she costco'd the booze and had a self serve bar which was super fun, and she had the in-n-out truck cater her wedding. her bridesmaids wore black dresses, but they didn't match- she just told them, "wear something that makes you feel amazing", and on the invite she said anyone who wanted to make a small cake could. a lot of people made these really cool cakes, and then the bride & groom gave the best one this really awesome gift package as a thank you.

nicolemxo
09-23-2009, 07:28 AM
my friend had a really awesome wedding. she got super creative and the more creative she got the more fun her wedding was. she was on a budget and she wanted three things: to feed people, to have lots of booze, and to get married on the beach. but all that stuff is super expensive. in the end, she spent the most money on the beach but still got a great deal, she costco'd the booze and had a self serve bar which was super fun, and she had the in-n-out truck cater her wedding. her bridesmaids wore black dresses, but they didn't match- she just told them, "wear something that makes you feel amazing", and on the invite she said anyone who wanted to make a small cake could. a lot of people made these really cool cakes, and then the bride & groom gave the best one this really awesome gift package as a thank you. all in all, it was the most fun wedding i've ever been to.

That sounds pretty darn cute. I like the cake idea a great deal. When I worked at Whole Foods a lady told me she was going to a wedding where people were asked to bake or bring in a pie. That might be an idea to use if I ever get hitched.

captncrzy
09-23-2009, 07:35 AM
My wedding cake is going to be the best wedding cake in the history of wedding cakes. I wish I could tell people about it but I don't want to ruin the surprise.

Also, I go to offbeatbride.com quite a bit.

nicolemxo
09-23-2009, 07:41 AM
My wedding cake is going to be the best wedding cake in the history of wedding cakes. I wish I could tell people about it but I don't want to ruin the surprise.

Also, I go to offbeatbride.com quite a bit.

That site is ADORABLE! i really like the pics of the flamingo-themed wedding. I hate hate hate cookie-cutter church weddings.

brittany
09-23-2009, 09:06 AM
On the radio they said 90% of brides don't want sex on their wedding night because they're so tired by the end of the day. Not sure if that's true... but if so, that's pretty weird. I thought it was tradition to do it on your wedding night :p

locachica73
09-23-2009, 09:18 AM
I remember when my sis got married and her husbands family and my family didn't get along, then my uncle and his wife were drinking in the parking lot of the church and ended up in a fight. My sister forgot something and no one would go get it so she ended up going in her wedding dress. By the time it was all said and done she was more inclined to beat the fuck out of her hubby then sleep with him.

kitt kat
09-23-2009, 09:53 AM
oh my god. my psycho roommate has turned even more psycho. she's calling up people we know to have them dictate my facebook to them.

WTF WTF WTF

then she's sending me pandering emails saying, "stop stalking me! stop bothering me! get out of my life! stop contacting me!" when she's the first to send me any emails. lately, all my responses have been is, "whatever. i still need your utility check."

and she goes ON AND ON AND ON AND ON.

psychotic bitch.

amyzzz
09-23-2009, 10:04 AM
I need to go shopping.

locachica73
09-23-2009, 10:15 AM
so do i... all my pants are too big and i look like i have a penis bulge.

amyzzz
09-23-2009, 10:16 AM
I need some tight jeans, tight pants, or just plain tights.

locachica73
09-23-2009, 10:17 AM
Can you girls tell me what ketamine is and what it does to you?

rskapcat
09-23-2009, 10:19 AM
It's an animal tranquilizer. Google special K for what it does to humans.